Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. We originally had intended to do one hour. We're gonna go into the second hour. My guest still with us is a resident, longtime resident of the community of the South End, doesn't live too far at all from mass and cast name is Brian McCarter. Grew up here in Massachusetts and now lives in the South End and is putting up with what's going on there. Brian, I just need to mention one thing to my audience and then we'll get right back. We have full lines, so I'll get to all the callers. I just want to remind our listeners that if they want to pull down the new free and improved iHeart app, they can do that because one of the things that they'll now be able to do with that app, besides putting it at all of your devices and making WBZ your first preset so there were only a fingertip away no matter where you find yourself anywhere in the world, you also can actually now talk to us and leave us a message real easy. It's called one tap. You just hit the tap the record button on the full screen player. You then can leave us a thirty second message that will go directly to the control room and Rob will be able to listen to it. Make sure that it's appropriate for air on AM radio station, you know, keep the language clean, and then you'll be able to hear your comment. If you want to comment about tonight's topic, you're more than welcome to do that. I know it's tough to get through on the phone line. Sometime. It's tough to get through right now because the lines are fold But that's all you have to do on the new and improved iHeart app. Go to your app store, put it on all your devices, and you can have access to us and comment real easily, real quickly. My name is Dan Ray and my guest is Brian mccartitt. Brian, very quickly here. I haven't asked you this question, but I want to ask you this question. Explain to my audience people who have never been in at Massive Cast, maybe never been to the South End in Boston. Maybe the only time they've been to Boston is to go to Fenway Park, or go to a Bruins or a Celtics game, or to I don't know, you know, go down the Entertainment District to the theater district. Explain to them what you have to put up and what your neighbors have to put up besides just the mere presence of these folks who in some cases are pretty whacked out on some of these potent drugs. Just give us a description as best you can of what life can be like in that part of the city.
Speaker 3: Well, it's frankly sad to see your number of people struggling with addiction, but you know, as far as the residents' day to day lives, you know, I've been propositioned, I've been assaulted, I've had stuff stolen off the porch at packages routinely. I've seen guys with hatchets and knives and bags full of drugs stepped on needles. But every three or four days I have to call on an ambulance because someone's passed out and you need to be revived, screamed a routinely, and uh, just uh, it's just sometimes it's just it's just tough. Care and help people.
Speaker 4: It's tough.
Speaker 2: And I don't care if you're a martial arts expert. You don't want to end up in a street fight with someone who is who's high on some form of drug.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, you don't. You don't know what kind of weapons they are carrying, and it's just something you'd rather you know, a void.
Speaker 2: And what about just some of the ugly aspect of it. I mean, you see people who are shooting up in whatever portion of their body they need to shoot up in correct, and it doesn't matter what they have to pull down or pull up in order to get that high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct. So oftentimes people that have been injecting a long time, the armbands won't work anymore, so they'll often have their pants down and they'll be using legs or ankles or you know, feet or hands or places you would not expect.
Speaker 2: And most of these people, obviously, when nature calls in whatever form or fashion, they do whatever they have to do, irrespective of whether it's on someone's front porch, the lawn, or their their backsteps.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that's a constant issue. The city has made an effort to hire a contractor to handle the bodily fluids, but it's clearly only one or two people since getting them come out and clean up the piece smell is quite hard to accomplish. I've not been able to do it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. Let's get back to the calls again. People have held through the news. I know we're going to move people a little more quickly and hopefully we'll do a second hour here Bob and Cambridge. Bob, you're next on Nice that with my guest Brian McCarter.
Speaker 6: Hello, Dan, Hello Brian, thank you for taking my call. I'll be kind of quick. I think I have a solution to kind of like cut down on a number of heads down there. The Losston Police have a very good and reliable canine unit as well as the state police. I suggest canine handlers with dog, just three of them abreast. You will clear those people out of there or set them.
Speaker 7: On their way.
Speaker 6: They will move, Dan and Brian. Has this ever been done?
Speaker 3: That's i I've heard in a while, honestly, because that both the DEA and the police have complained they don't have sufficient probable cause for a search. You brought a canine unit down here to take minutes to find the drugs.
Speaker 6: Okay, the dogs are going to be bugging anyway because they can sense the drugs. Okay, the people are going to be scared. They will move, But I mean, this is ridiculous. Nobody's making them move.
Speaker 4: They've got to be moved out.
Speaker 2: Well, Bob, I think your suggestion is good. I'm not impressed by this district attorney. He does not seem to be someone who is particularly active in the community. They'll show up the obligatory show up when there's an a homicide and say this is terrible. We're very concerned. But in terms of doing what you're suggesting, just the presence of those dogs that would get the folks moving, that's for sure. And I wouldn't have three dogs there. I'd have ten or twelve dogs there, because you know you it's strength in numbers, the strength.
Speaker 6: Sure is, but you don't need too many of those bad boys.
Speaker 2: No, understand you, Bob. That's that's a great suggestion. I don't think this police commissioner would do that unless he was authorized by the mayor. And I don't think the mayor won to do anything like that either, to be really honest with you, because I don't think her long term plan is to stay as mayor of Boston. I think that she has political ambitions beyond Mayor of Boston, which is why things were pretty darn good when tom Monina was mayor because Menino his goal was to remain mayor of Boston. I mean, his primary focus and his concern was the city of Boston. I'm very I wish tom Monina was still running this city. I think this problem would have been addressed, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Good Man.
Speaker 6: One other thing quick, I know you got a lot of other people.
Speaker 4: I waited a long time. That's no big deal.
Speaker 6: And when they rought the traffic light panhandling everything right, they should be arrested from peting traffic.
Speaker 4: Okay, they should be arrested.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is if they stand on the island, they're going to say they're not impeding traffic. And also, panhandling has been recognized by the US Supreme Court as as a form of speech, believe it or not. Okay, let's go back to the dogs. I would agree with you. Thank you for you. Thank you, Bob, appreciate it right back at you.
Speaker 4: Bye, Bryan by thank thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I think that's an idea. I mean I think that you basically make it uncomfortable for the people to remain there. I mean, they're settled in, they have everything they need, you know. I think Bob's idea is a good one. We'll take a quick break. Coming right back on Nightside, Brian. I never expected would do more than an hour on this, but we're well into it and we got full line, so let's stay with it. People will be talking about this one tomorrow at work and at school and uh wherever they gather tomorrow, because there's a lot of people listening. Will be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: We're going to get everybody in and I appreciate those of you who waited through the newscast. You will be in priority here, starting with Bill in Boston. Bill, you are next on night Side. Oh, with my guest Brian McCarter of Boston South End, living close to mass and cast open end drug market. Go ahead, Bill.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've was really upset that Marty Walsh tore down the bridge to Long Island. It was a perfect solution to the pull up people and you know, put them out to that island and they would be isolated and there was a you know, a facility there and stuff. So that was really really tragic. And I think there's this current mayor who's buddies with the Henry's wife who runs the Globe. So so she's not worried about this because there's no political Miley job of Mass and cast that's a that's a no brainer for her. So the only thing she's interested in is the you know, the Trump things, you know, way out of the city. That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's looking to take Elizabeth Warren's job. When Elizabeth Warren decides to hang up her cowboy.
Speaker 4: Boots, that's it. That's and so and so she doesn't you know, they play around with the issue a little bit. But and this is this is a nationwide problem. This isn't just Mass and Cassa. If you go on YouTube, you can find you know, homeless centers all over the country. You know, every huge major city has got you know, homeless encampment. And there's drugs and the old deal. And you know, I've been living in Boston for a long long time, you know, over fifty years. And I rented an apartment in nineteen eighty in Brighton for two hundred dollars a month and maybe it was one ninety and I look up about that apartment go for now, and you know, it goes for like twenty five twenty six hundred or something like that. That's like a thousand percent over one thousand percent increase real estate, you know, rentals, you have to make ninety grand a year to make a you know, to pay the rent by yourself in a one bed apartment in Boston, and people have maken that, and a lot of people become homeless because of that. You know, they're going to apply it to this and once they've become homeless, you know it's over. And the emotional things that happen to people after homelessness is just incredible.
Speaker 2: Right, And by the way, you're absolutely right, you're all those points you made are great points, but that doesn't make it any easier on my guest, Brian Brian McCarter and the other residents in the South End who are not homeless and who are simply trying to live their lives in some relative piece and quiet.
Speaker 3: And they have people Actually a data thing too, it's not so much a homeless problem here as a drug problem. So by the city's own numbers, they have shelter beds for the entire population of mass and casts uh and the only ones that are not shelter about one hundred at any given time and generally refuse the offer of shelter. So it's it's not actually a homeless problem, it's it's just a drug problem.
Speaker 2: But I think I think what Bill is saying is that a lot of Bill, let me just jump in here. I don't want to start an argument with either one of you, But I think what Bill is saying is that homelessness in some cases leads to drug issues, and that you know, I think there's there's a relationship there. So what's the solution, Bill, in your opinion, what's the solution?
Speaker 4: Or I would if you can't eliminate the problem, and you're not going to eliminate the problem with drug addiction, you can split it up and not have Boston have the whole deal.
Speaker 5: You can you know you have how do you do that?
Speaker 4: Was you know, I don't know how do you do that? You have to create a multi uh city approach or you know, you can't throw everything onto Boston.
Speaker 2: No, but but what but Bill, think about it for a second. Okay, just for a second. I understand what you're saying, Namely, the city that's going to say, hey, you know what, I know you got you know, five hundred hardcore drug addicts. I don't know what the population of mass and cast is. What what do you think what do you think that population is prian of a hardcore you know, regular clientele there? What are we talking about in terms of numbers?
Speaker 3: You know, at the peak of Atkinson Street, the city's numbers were about four hundred. I've seen shelter figures of like six hundred. So we'll call it submerging three or six hundred people per day.
Speaker 2: Okay, so feared up. So let let's let's just play with the number four hundred. Name me three cities who you're going to say, First of all, you know, maybe the cities they're going to open up there there there there city to one hundred drug addicts. And then how do you keep those drug addicts even if you convince them to go to loll or wherever. You know, they're not going to go to Weston and Wellesley. We know that, right, Bill, right?
Speaker 4: You know It's funny you mentioned Lowell because I went to Lowll Tech and Lowell is a nice Lowell has a lot of If you give Loell a lot of money, extra money, they might go for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, then the question is okay, so here's my follow up question, Bill, here's my follow up question. You've come with an idea, which is great, let's talk about it. My follow up question is, Okay, you give Lowell twenty million dollars whatever, and they say, oh yeah, we'll send the buses down, We'll pack two buses, we'll take one hundred drug addicts. Okay, every you get the drug addicts on there, whatever, Fine, how do you keep them loll? I mean you know, you can't like put ankle bracelets on them and say, oh you're gonna stay low I mean lo the money and they could be back. They'll catch a ride back to back the massive gas. And I think it's an insoluble problem the way it's being done. And I like the idea that our friend from Cambridge came up with is that bring the police dogs over there and rust them out.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I you know, I guess you know when they beat, you know, when general's battle people, they try to split the army, you know, the enemy up, you know what I mean? So you know, all right, you're saying one hundred, how about twenty? You so twenty you say, listen, Wellesley, you can take twenty drug addicts.
Speaker 2: Oh good luck with that, man. I'm gonna now ask what are you smoking?
Speaker 5: Bill?
Speaker 4: How about guilt? How about guilt? You make all the liberals and Wellesley?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah right, you know what? Remember? Remember remember when the governor of Florida sent the the immigrants to to Marthina's vineyard. How long after they gave him sub sandwiches and and Marthin's vinue sweatshirts. How quickly were they on the bus to to the Air Force base of Cape Cod.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: All right. Look, I don't mean to make light of it, but I think there's got to be a solution here. And I think that when Brian talked about mandated treatment, I think you got to look at these people and say, hey, look, we can do it the easy way of the hard way.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know we can. We can convict you, we can lock you up and you can go cold turkey in the in you know, in in in prison. We don't want to do that to you, but we got to get you squared away. That's I think what you were saying, Brian. And I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think that's what you were saying. Am I correct on that.
Speaker 3: So there is a bill right now that just is coming out of committee at the state to expand, which is where you commit people to treatment involuntarily if they are no longer able to handle their own affairs. And so the idea would be to make it mandatory to be interviewed by a social worker trained in addiction to decide, you know, why are you able to handle your affairs anymore and put them at the er door basically before they're allowed to be discharged. So that would get you about well people today, something that I check my numbers again, but.
Speaker 2: Well, there's got to be something done. That's that's the that's the issue bill. Look that innovative approach bill. Thank you, and some people are going to agree with you. But if you can get Wellesley to take twenty to twenty of them, I'm going to nominate you to be like the next president of the United States. Thanks Bill, Thanks man. Talk to you. Okay, here's the news. We will do thirty minutes. If you're on the line, all of you on the line, you will be heard. I only have one line open six, one, seven, nine, three, ten thirty. Brian, I appreciate your patience, but You're getting exposed to a lot of people tonight in a good way, and people will be talking about this tomorrow. And I'm delighted that you've been able to stick with us, and you see that there's a lot of interest in this beyond the South End, and I think that's a good thing. At the bottom line. We'll be back on Night's Out with my guest Brian McCart a longtime South End resident. These people in the South End they need some help and they're not getting it from their politicians, and they're not getting it from the Boston Police Department. I think they get it from and when I say the Boston Police Department, to talk about the leadership of the Boston Police Department, the average police officers, the BPPA guys who work with Larry Calderone, the head of the union, they of the backbone of the police department. But they can only do what the leadership permits them to do. And I think I think that something new has to be tried, because what do they say, The definition of insanity is keep doing the same thing and getting the same result, and keep doing it time after time after time. We'll be right back on night Side as we deal with this issue, and I think it's such an important issue. We're doing two hours tonight back on Night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we will pick the pace up a little bit. Let's go Tom and Fitchburg. Tom, appreciate your taking the time and your patients. They're on the here. Tom.
Speaker 8: Hey, Dan, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I appreciate your time. I appreciate your patience. You're on with my guest Brian McCarter at the South End.
Speaker 8: Hey Brian, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Hey Tom?
Speaker 8: So, anyways, I just had a couple quick things, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a real tough situation down in mass and cass I mean, I don't really have too many solutions for you.
Speaker 5: I mean these.
Speaker 8: People that are you know, in the government level and the mayor, you know, I don't think they have a solution for anything, all right. I mean if you look at and I don't know if you guys have been following, you know, the Karen Reid trial, you know, nobody has an answer for anything. I mean, the state of Massachusetts looks foolish retrying her again the second time.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to open up that can of wrooms. We'll talk about that later this week, I promise, but I want to focus on this. Can you imagine living in the South End, Tom and having people literally using your property as a public toilet and leaving their their hypodermic needles in your backyard.
Speaker 8: No, I couldn't imagine waking up to that every single day. You know, I have children and bring them to school and go to work and just live my life day to day and seeing people will defecate on the sidewalks and the ibrier nets everywhere. I mean, it doesn't seem like anybody has a plan to do anything because it doesn't benefit the people that are in the positions that can do something about it.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think what happens is a lot of people turn they vote the same people in office, they get the same results, and maybe it's time to try something new. That's all. I'm not here to advocate for any particular candidate whatsoever, but I think that if someone's been in office and hasn't responded, you know, then then maybe it's time for them to try another line of work.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 8: I think, in the words of I don't know if you know who this is, famous wrestler Owen Hart. Enough is enough, It's time for a change. That was his motto going down to the ring.
Speaker 2: You know, I know who Owen Heart was. Yeah, so wrestling the only sports that's never been touched by any sort of scandal, by the way.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. But it's unfortunate for the residents down there. I mean, they got a big dealing life, and you know, it's too bad that they couldn't come up with and I think it's funny. Yeah, it's uh, just put them all on a plane like the Santas. Didn't send them somewhere some somewhere else, you know, you know, like they did in Marcus Vineyard. I mean, who knows, nobody. You know, it's these people that are in these positions that have the power to make a change. They need to really step up to the plate and you know, figure out what they can do to make a difference in the community and in society and a positive direction. Not in this let's let everybody run around and you know, do what they want and leave hypodermic ginos and you know about the dogs down there, I understand about the dogs. I mean that's a pretty decent idea, but who knows the fetanol. I mean, one little thing of fetanol can kill people instantly, So I mean that would be putting kind of the German shepherds of the dogs, the police dogs at risk. So I mean what is the overall So, I mean that is what it comes down to.
Speaker 5: The call.
Speaker 2: I think if you if you allow the people who are in the South End, who are not residents, who are not paying taxes, who are not trying to do the right thing, and you allow a group of miscreants, people who are badly addicted uh to substances over which they have no control, no ability to say no, and you just do nothing and leave them there. That problem is only going to grow, and it's like a cancer. It's going to spread to other parts of the city. And I think for the mayor to ignore it uh and put and to focus on more bike lanes. That probably pleases a constituency a bike of bike riders, but it does nothing for the people who have invested, you know, their their families and their and their money and properties in the South End. Tom. I appreciate your call. I wish we had an answer, but we'll keep going. Maybe we'll find one.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, Dan, thanks a lot, Thanks, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Tom Next, stay back in Boston, Mick and Alston. Mike, you were next on Nightside with my guest Brian McCarter. He's a resident of the South End. You have a question or comment for him, Mick.
Speaker 5: I have a couple of comments, Dan, and I'll welcome Brian to your show to start off. I'm not a fan of Michelle Wou. I think you're right, she's like.
Speaker 4: Looking past this.
Speaker 5: Marty Walsh and Tominino would have probably handled this a lot better. The bike lanes in Alson Brightness, trangling all the small businesses. She doesn't listen like west Roxbury.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: She just does what she wants. And as far as mass Cast goes, I think since Long Island closed, that became a big problem there. That's where all the buses took you to Long Island, and that's where all the acts just habtly go to.
Speaker 2: My understanding by I'm not looking to defend Marty Walsher, but my understanding was that the bridge too long, too Long Island, and Brian, if I'm wrong here, please correct me that that bridge was becoming unsafe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the engineers from the state to declare it no longer you know, fit for safety, so it had to be shut down, torn down and redone.
Speaker 2: Right, And I guess they don't have the money to redo it. And I also guess that the mayor of Quinsy, who's looking out for his constituents, doesn't want to allow bus traffic to trans you know, it's you know, Long Island is actually I think technically the City of Boston, but the mayor of Quinsy doesn't want buses to go be going through his neighborhoods to get there. As I understand that, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, roughly they so they've been tying up. I think it's the last or second to last permit in court currently. So even if tomorrow the litigation you ended, estimates I've heard from various politicians would take ten more years to have the facility open and maybe even a billion dollars. So at this point, it's it's kind of a pie in the sky thinking that that's going to restart, which you still have to do in the long term. Thinking of Boston, you need to restart that facility, but we need something now.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, we need we need something yesterday. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Mick, Brian Dan, what about the NBTA boats? Why not setting the people out there.
Speaker 3: On boats when people are overdosing? Uh, it's the time to respond to the boat. Isn't saft enough to get them to the emergency of them? That's the medical reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, it would seem that I don't know, it would seem that they could depopulate it somewhat, Brian, if they could say to people, you know, put people, let's say in a I don't know, you know, in a in a in a facility for for a couple of days, to make sure that they haven't taken anything. Put them on the boat and get him out there. But I guess you've still got to build a facility, which I think you said could cost as much as a billion dollars right.
Speaker 3: To redo the whole bridge, and you know bridge is two hundred and something million, and then all the furd maintenance on the buildings. You know, easily it would end with your typical Boston instruction costs skyrocket. It could be it could end up being a billion dollars for that Philly which is which is why collins plan to use a retired cruise ship is like sixty million. Why don't we just do that now until we can do with.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, I think I think that's a good idea. That If that's Nick Collins's idea, I think that's a that's a decent idea. Well, you know, Mick, we've covered a lot here tonight. You know, how is Alston doing with with drug abuse? Is that a huge factor over there or no, you're on the other side of the city.
Speaker 5: Well, no, you know, it's everyweight Dan, but I don't think it's as bad. It's it's definitely not as bad as mass cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, but that massive leads the leg but.
Speaker 5: It's everywhere, you know, throughout the stair. I guess numbers of overdoses are going down now, but long overdue because it's spending epidemic for over twenty years.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, I think the fentanyl is being cut off now that the borders closed, and Trump's not getting enough credit for that. I'll criticize Trump on a number of items, but you've got to give them credit for closing that border and cutting down Fentinel as well as hopefully child trafficking and stuff like that make I appreciate you call very much. I got to keep rolling here, Okay, all right, Dan, thanks man, thanks for calling in. Brian. I'm impressed with the number of people who have waited tonight to talk about this issue. I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves, and I'm glad people have thoughts and want to share them. Keep them coming.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, We've got more more calls lined up, Brian, Darryl, and Lee. At least I guarantee all of you. I got one line at six one, seven, two, five four and one line at six one, seven, nine, ten thirty. We will wrap it up at eleven. By eleven, I promise we kept Brian. I haven't had a guest for two hours, by the way, Brian, in a long time, just so you know. Okay, So you've brought an important story to our attention. We picked it up at a gala. Carley's piece in the Boston Globe this morning, which I thought was a compelling piece, well written. As always, She's a great reporter, and I'm gratified that you've given us this time tonight, and I hope the callers who are there, stay and if we get a couple more, we'll finish strong. Heading to the finish line here on Nightside. Back on Nightside, right after these brief messages.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, tomorrow night at eleven o'clock, I will have with me a journalist, Scott Kerrman. Scott has just written a very interesting book about the life of Michael Ducaccas. The political career of Michael Ducaccas from the Massachusetts Governor, the Duke Weekly Conversations with the last honest politician. I kind of have been inclined to agree with him. Well, did that to Warren? I let's keep rolling here. I got Darryl in Canada, Daryl in New Brunswick. You've been very patient. You're next on Nightside. Go ahead, Darryl.
Speaker 9: Hey Dan, Brian, good effort, good conversation. I was just letting Brian know that if he has a problem with the urine smell in certain areas, you have a product that actually might help out, because right next door, I actually have one footage on my treaty camera is somebody doing the exact same thing. You're talking about, And.
Speaker 2: What's the solution other than probably getting your shotgun out and scaring the hendle.
Speaker 9: Nope, Nope, it's a it was actually a gal and but it's a product that actually can actually get rid of the smell. So, but the idea of.
Speaker 2: The name of the product, Daryl, you got us in suspense here, what's the name of the product?
Speaker 9: You can actually give me a call later, or Brian can give me called give him my number and I'll let him know.
Speaker 2: I don't think just give us the name, Daryl. Let's let's let's wasting a little time here. Let's if you got the name.
Speaker 9: Break Actually I actually don't have the product in front of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, Okay, Well, you know what, why don't you send me an email and I'll get the information of Brian.
Speaker 9: And I'm sure i'd like to let you know. Is the idea about the people in the homeless situation and the addict situation is you guys are talking about sending people elsewhere. So if you guys can actually talk to different communities and whatnot across the country, maybe you can actually put these people into a like a boot camp style thing.
Speaker 2: And I wish I had thought of that one, Darryl, that that is a brilliant idea. Maybe we could get some boot camps up in Canada and go cross border.
Speaker 9: They know, I'm just trying to help out, because no, no, I think that.
Speaker 2: I think if they don't look some of us who did boot camp, it's not pleasant, particularly if you have nasty drill sergeants. Well that's the old thing.
Speaker 9: Is a lot of a lot of people don't have any hope in the future. And if you can actually break that cycle and actually give them hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Brian, Daryl Darrel, all good suggestions. Thank you, my friend. We'll talk soon. Thank you very much. Let me go from Darryl in New Brunswick to Brian and Chelms. For Brian, You're next on Nightsacer. Right ahead.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dan's BC from North Chelm shirt.
Speaker 2: I know, my man, BC. This is a friend of mine. Go ahead, Brian.
Speaker 10: So that whole area down there, my first experience down there, started playing baseball in the Yackey League in nineteen ninety one and there was two fields down there there, and that was a problem in nineteen ninety one, and I stopped playing in that league in two thousand and every year it was worse and worse. It was open air drug markets, people taking drugs, openly, street walker prostitution. I mean that this is a problem that's been going on for you know, over thirty five years down there, and there's been no mayre that has dealt with it other than lip service. And now here you are in twenty twenty five and it's you know, it is just the last time I was down in that area was probably about two years ago and unrecognizable. It's just I feel for those residents down there. I was involved in baseball in the South End for years and it's just horrible it's been thrust upon those people, and it's it's lip service from politicians and the residents there that are trying to live their lives are you know, it's it's sad. And someone mentioned Lowell. I'm in chums are right next to Lowell. Lowell's got their problems with that too. It's not you know, it's not a walk in.
Speaker 4: The park there.
Speaker 10: There's a couple of methadone clinics down here, the new courthouse down there, and you know it is, it's a problem there too. I got friends that work in the shelters down there, and they're dealing with that on a daily basis there. So I don't know what the answers are, but it was a problem in nineteen ninety one and it's gotten nothing but worse because there's been a refusal in Massachusetts to deal with the issue.
Speaker 2: Well, on BC, I kind of agree with your analysis, but we've dealt with it tonight, and hopefully we've raised the issue for some of these politicians and maybe some some younger politicians. We'll have some answers that the older politicians have not provided. BC. I got to get till more in here if I can. Okay, Thanks Bryan.
Speaker 10: Good luck to you, brother, Good luck, Thanks Dan, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Brian, Thank you very much. Let's keep rolling here. We're gonna get Lee in Boston again, get at least one more in Lee. You got to be quick for me, if you could go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Lead, yes, really quick. So the last Carl I hit it on the nail on the head there and I pretty much everything I was gonna say, But I just want to say one thing. You know, there's some activists and uh, I'm in I'm in Dorchester. So some activists has been working on this issue for a very long time. One of it is actually a candidate. I'm not gonna get too much into that, but as a candidate running now. His name is the MGAs and Rosa. He's been working on.
Speaker 2: I've had Jamgas on this program. He was a football coach there and he had needles in Clifford Park if I'm not mistaken, and he did get some action from.
Speaker 7: The city, right, So we need, you know, more people like that in office to actually, you know, uh solidify this issue. It's not going to be an overnight thing. We all know that. And one more thing is that you know the current administration they're definitely not looking to uh fix this issue, and it seems like it's just walking over it and just putting more bike lanes. As we do know that is what's happening.
Speaker 2: It's bike bike lanes and soccer teams. That's that's the dark teams.
Speaker 7: Oh that's a whole nother Oh go, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I knew, I know that would get a rise out of you. Hey, look, I appreciate you taking the time. Thank you get involved. Thank you much. Last of the on this hour, Dot I got about a minute for your dot. You medte no well.
Speaker 11: You know, I've been out on that bridge. I had to go out to Long Island one day to pick up one of my sons and I went in that building. This was it around ninety This is thirty years ago, thirty more, and I went out there to pick him up. That place was a disaster. I mean they'd have to tear it down and build a new place.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Horrible, And I can't imagine what. No, And you know, you can't blame the mayor and Quincy. He doesn't want all that traffic going over there a new bridge.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 2: He's defending his own community, his constituents.
Speaker 11: Tom Koch, absolutely I agree with that's right, and I agree with him totally. It's a but boy, that mayor. All she talks about is how beautiful her city is. It's her city, you know, she her city metaphorically at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 11: But anyway, I'll tell you, frankly, that log Island is not the answer because they'd have to pour millions and millions into it.
Speaker 2: All right, we got you. I just got to wrap up here with Brian dot Great to hear your voice. You sound strong. Talk soon, Okay, Thank you, dear, thank you, thank you, Brian McCarter, thank you for spending two hours with us tonight. I hope it's an investment in which some of the politicians will get involved in UH and do something for you. I hope that it can rattle the police department at the leadership and the police department at the leadership at city Hall. It's as simple as that. Give you a final word, Brian. Anything you'd like to say, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, appreciate having me on and all your callers and some suggestions. And I hope the mayor take leadership on this and tries to actually address the issue.
Speaker 2: Well, we can always hope, we can always hope. I hope there are some people who are maybe running for office. Who have you talked to Josh Kraft? Has he has he at least lent you an ear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they've reached out.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just whoever solves the problem, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Again, that's what they're supposed to do. They're supposed to solve problems, not just preeing for the cameras. Thank you so much, Brian. Please keep in touch and if I can be of any help, stay there. I want Rob to give you my direct line so that you can always reach me and if I can be of any help to you on this issue, please let me know. You've been very kind for your time Tonight, We'll have you back, Brian, stay there. Rob will give you my direct line. Will we come back. Let's talk about what's going on in Los Angeles. A lot of activity out there tonight, monitoring it for you, and we will talk about it. Who's to blame. There's a variety of viewpoints back on Nightside after this