Speaker 1: Just having this very strong belief in what crypto and blockchain technology will become, and it will take a long time, but it will eventually become ubiquitous.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: For us, it was like the right choice and basically looking at it as like our best risk adjusted return opportunity out there. You can not only make sure you can survive but also thrive in the tougher times as well.
Speaker 3: Does it make sense to eventually explore doing a basket of these assets, like maybe you hold Bitcoin with Solana or maybe Bitcoin, ETHERM and Solona.
Speaker 1: Right for us, we're all in on Solana. We do think that it is then will be the leading smart contract or high performance blockchain.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by Uphold, which is a great crypto platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and stake crypto assets. Uphold has over three hundred plus cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin in all the top all coins, and they offer a crypto staking on over ninety crypto assets. I've been a user of the platform for many years. They are safe and reliable, they don't commingle or lend out your crypto funds, and they are one hundred percent reserve. You can review their transparency report. Uphold also offers an amazing rewards program where you can earn up the five point two five percent on stable coins. This rewards program also allows you to get twenty four hour early access to new tokens that they list, and to participate, you just simply have to open the app once per month, deposit fifty dollars once per month, and trade fifty dollars once per month. And the stable coins that they support includes Ripples, r l USD. You can earn up the five percent on that stable coin and five point two five percent on USBC. So if you'd like to learn more about Uphold and all the great services they offer, visit the link in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto podcast. I'm your host, Tony Edward and joining me is Brian Rudik, who is the chief strategy Officer at UPEXI. Ryan, great to have you.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian, I'm excited to chat with you. UPEXI was one of the first publicly traded companies with a Salona Treasury strategy, so I want to dive into the details there and learn more. But let's kick it off with your background. Tell us about where you're from and what's your professional background.
Speaker 2: Yes, appreciate that. Yes.
Speaker 1: Brian Ruddick, chief strategy officer at Upexy, originally from Northeast Ohio. You grew up in the Cleveland area, went to school in North Carolina, grad school in Chicago, spent time in San Francisco in New York. But I spent most of my career in traditional finance. I was managing a book of bank stocks, always in this long short construct for funds like Citadel, Ballyasne, Millennium, and it was really there where some of the banks that I covered that were the crypto fiat on off ramps like Signature and Silvergate kind of pushed me down the crypto rabbit hole. Decided that there are so many wonderful use cases and benefits that this technology can bring that it will take some time, but it will be ubiquitous eventually. Want to be a part of it full time. So I moved in early twenty twenty one over to GSR, which is one of the largest firms a crypto been around for over a decade. They are the largest digital asset market maker, and I led their research function for four and a half years until I moved over to UPEXI to become their chief strategy officer.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because you know, you mentioned your backgrounds in TRADFI dealing with stocks and so forth and those type of assets, but now you have this convergence of crypto and publicly traded company and the crypto impacts as stock price. So it's kind of like the merging of these two worlds. What's that like for you? It's like you get to do your kind of your old job a bit, but also new things.
Speaker 1: It's been awesome. I've enjoyed every second of it. Yeah, I really think that this kind of hits on exactly my skill set and expertise. And I say that because Digira sid treasury companies are literally just banks, and so I think it's enabled us to really internalize and understand where all these great benefits come from. So if you think about micro strategy, it's literally been the best performing stock since August twenty twenty when it turned on it's bitcoin treasury strategy. It's more than tripled the return of bitcoin and it's been barely leveraged, so there has to be some value creation there, and so really comes from what I would call capital Marcus arbitrage. When they are issuing equity at two times book or two times NAV, they're essentially selling a dollar for two or buying bitcoin half off. It's how they've created twenty six billion worth of free bitcoin over the last six quarters for shareholders. And we can get into the math. I can give you an example. But the other way that I think about it is banks essentially borrow money from depositors, They pay an interest rate on that, and then they lend it to borrowers they pay, then they earn a higher yield on that, so they earn spread income, which is the difference between the yield on loans and their cost to deposits. And then the market will essentially is a simplification, but present value all of that future spread income added to the current book value, and then banks will trade above book. And we're the exact same way. Actually, so we borrow funds or raise funds from the capital markets, we invest into Salana. We are in the spread between the return on soul and our cost to capital. The market will then present value all that spread added to our NAV, and then that'll work out to something that is, you know, above one which we can then monetize for the benefit of shareholders.
Speaker 3: You know, I've never heard anyone categorize it as a bank, that these digital acid treasury companies are banks. And it's fascinating you the way you broke it down, because you are operating like a bank, even though it's you know, it's not fiat per se. It's you're using crypto assets. And you know, I want to break design in Layman's terms because there's still a lot of people who this concept is still foreign to them, Like why does holding a crypto asset increase the stock price? Is it simply that this asset continues to appreciate in value, and that's what's driving the volatility, is driving all this.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of ways I could think of it. So I would say that didrasset treasury companies can and should trade it a premium to underlying NAB when the market has strong expectations of forward DIGITRA set returns. And so from my first example, you know, if they think that the return on the diditra asset will outpace the cost of capital, that company will earn spread every year and that will be added to the NAB and then that'll cause you to trade at this premium. Another way you could think about it is like folks just want to access crypto in the form of a familiar equity security. You saw that with Gray Scales g sol closed end Salona Trust. It routinely traded at a five hundred percent plus premium, and that was simply because folks wanted to access Solana in their SWAB account. And then the last reason I'd say is folks want access to these different value ACRUL mechanisms that you can't get with owning the tokens natively or in alternative instruments like an ETF. And these are things that dats can uniquely do. So you know, this is issuing equity above book, which is by definition a creative. This is things like staking or running validators to where you can earn additional commissions. And this is things like buying lock tokens at this discount for built in games for shareholders, and so add all that up and folks are willing to pay a premium. I've got other examples that can kind of explain this numerically, but I know that was a lot, so I'll stop there.
Speaker 3: No, that's great and Thank you for doing that, because I think it's important for folks that wrap their heads around this. I think there's still a lot of skeptics and there are people who just once again the education barrier. They just need to understand all these different moving parts and components and how it's playing out of why this is happening right the so what question is answered? So tell us about you PEXI, the history of the company and why it decided to make this move to have Solana as a treasury asset.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, Upexy is and was a consumer brands company, so it owns different consumer brands that it sells either direct to consumer or via Amazon. It was making and continues to make, roughly fifteen million in annually recurring revenue. It's roughly break even. And then candidly, I think Upexy was trying to figure out how to increase its growth opportunities. And before I'd even met UPEXI, they had announced back in February that they wanted to establish this crypto treasury.
Speaker 2: And while I was.
Speaker 1: At GSR, I was talking to our founder Chris and basically telling him we should try to create the micro strategy of Solana really wasn't rocket science, so you could just see all the value that micro Strategy had created and all of their wild success. And then sol Strategies, which is up in Canada's trading at five times it's nav and so having this background in equities is basically like, if micro Strategy is trading at two times, Soul Strategies is trading at five times, I've got reasons why a smaller company in one underpinned by a smaller token with these additional value accrul mechanisms should trade it a premium to something like micro Strategy. There's no reason why if we figured out how to create one, then we shouldn't trade at this premium valuation as well. And so at GSR we contacted investment bankers. They introduced us to UPEXI. Upexy was already going down this route, as I mentioned, And then it just made sense while I was at GSR, for GSR and for me to lead that investment in that one hundred million dollar pipe, which was actually the first large scale pipe for an old coin treasury company. And what I'd say is when we did it like that one hundred million was eye popping and kind of gave everybody the blueprint and It was really difficult to get to that one hundred million because like it was untested, and then as folks saw that, hey, this actually works, there is a reason why these companies should trade above book value, and people became more educated. You've seen like over one hundred of these now. But that was essentially how Upexy kind of pivoted into digital assets, and then from there it just made sense for me to join Upexy and continue to push on this with our management team.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, how much Solana are you currently holding and how much capital have you raised to purchase Alana?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we raised.
Speaker 1: One hundred million in their initial pipe essentially, and then we raised an additional two hundred million subsequent to that. Fifty million was in equity. One hundred and fifty million was in this very innovative in kind convertible note where there is actually very little risk for the investor or for the company because all the soul that is contributed as consideration for that's held in this triparty agreement, at this triparty arrangement, at this qualified custodian. So if at the end of the two years the investor hasn't converted to Upexy equity, they literally just get their soul backs, so they're basically in the same spot, but they have this essentrally free option to convert to upexy equity, which they would do if they were much better off.
Speaker 2: And so we've raised three.
Speaker 1: Hundred million, We've seen some appreciation in the price of soul, and we've been buying a lot of lock sool at this roughly mid teens discount, and so we own two million soul roughly right now, and the current market value is roughly three hundred and seventy five million, and that comes from both soul price appreciation and then that discount as well.
Speaker 3: Mentioned a qualified custodian, Are you able to tell us WHOI custodian is.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if we've publicly well, we have disclosed Bitgo as one of ours. We put out a pressure release, and then we've got a couple others. We diversify amongst them for best operational practices, and I don't think that we've publicly disclosed it. And so just as public company that they could can't say.
Speaker 3: Oh got it. Okay, Now, this is a foll up question to maybe something I asked you earlier, and that is why crypto and not real estate. Why not gold? Is it because crypto has a much higher upside and because it's still a young asset class. Is that kind of the ethos of why crypto? Yeah, So, in my view, there's all these really wonderful use cases and benefits that you get with crypto that you don't get with other technologies. These are things like the removal of intermediaries that did like the democratization of value exchange, and new constructs around ownership, governance and business models. And it's such an nascent technology that anytime that you're this early, there's going to be a lot of volatility and speculation around what this could become. But actually, if you look at the underlying fundamentals, if you look at like crypto users or number of developers or number of transactions, like all this stuff is up into the right and so we're just looking at that and at the end of the day, like valuations and values will follow fundamentals, and just having this very strong belief in what crypto and blockchain technology will become and it will take a long time, but it will eventually become ubiquitous. You know, for us, it was like the right choice and basically looking at it as like our best risk adjusted return opportunity out there, Oh for sure. And so what do you think the timeline might be? This is a hard question for the lifespan of this strategy, because eventually there's going to be more liquidity. These assets are going to be less volatile. You mentioned, they'll become ubiquitous where they're everywhere and everybody can access it. So do I necessarily need to go buy upexy stock fifteen years from now, just as an example, I don't know this. Once again, this is a very different asset class in a sense that many of it of the supply is hardcap, it's globally distributed to you have liquidity coming in from all parts of the world. So what is like your time span or timeline for the you know, for this strategy so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it remains to be seen. But what I note is like a lot of this is predicated on any treasury company. So a couple things first is, uh, when analyzing any treasury company, the biggest determinant of how they'll do is the token that they're underpinned by. And so for us, we feel very strongly that Solana is likely the endgame winning high performance blockchain. You know, you have to not only be sure that the token will be around in five years, where most all coins really aren't, but also that it will do well. And so for one like we feel very fortunate to be underpinned by Solana, and that was an intentional choice on our part. The second thing is a big key piece that the business model is predicated on is trading at this premium to book. And so in my mind when you ask like when will the part stop, it's like when these companies stop trading at a premium, I would actually argue that you can and should trade at a premium like we're talking about during times when folks like forward view of crypto is positive, and then when folks think that you're not going to out earn your cost to capital, you should trade it a discount. And it just turned to micro strategy, and you know, you can, man, you can measure the efficacy of their treasury operations by looking at in their increase in bitcoin per share. And so twenty twenty four it increased seventy three percent, twenty twenty one it was something like fifty percent, and then then two bear markets still increased but was more like mid single digits. So all that's to say is I would argue that the model can and likely will go on pause during the inevitable bear markets, but then you can really you know, will eventually return to this bull market and then you know, it's likely that what we've seen in the past with micro strategy is like the companies will then return to that premium multip which you can then monetize for shareholders.
Speaker 2: So kind of remains to be seen.
Speaker 1: Will EBB and flow, but I think like the model is here to stay, and you know, depending on market conditions, can really utilize that and accrue a lot of value for shareholders through it.
Speaker 3: And you know, some of what you mentioned I think answers this question, but I want to make sure I get every base covered here. So what would you say to people who would say, well, I can go invest in a Salona ETF, why should I go through you PEXI as a solo treasury company.
Speaker 1: I would say, for access to these different value a cool mechanisms. So an ETF can't issue equity above book and pull in additional accretion in ETF, well probably will be able to stake, but right now you know they're not able to stake and an ETF can't go out and buy lock sool out of fifteen percent discount.
Speaker 2: So for all these.
Speaker 1: Reasons, my view is if you have a solid view of like the medium term for a cryptotoken, a digital asset treasury company actually could be the best way to play it for many investors.
Speaker 3: And then Solana offers saking capabilities. Are you staking any of your soul? And if you are, are those rewards being paid as dividends or are they just reinvested.
Speaker 1: We are staking substantially all of our Solona. We're actually not running our own validators. We're delegating to a bunch of top validators. The reason for that is what we're seeing is a lot of validators simply want steak, and so most of them are willing to pass back literally every economic possible. So for us, if we were to run our own validator, unless we thought we were going to attract a lot of delegated soul and a commission that we could charge on top of that, we actually lose money by running our own validators. And I kind of think it keeps the story simple for traditional investors as well. Having been on the other side, I tend to think that people don't really invest in things they don't understand. You have to start to explain proof of state consensus mechanism. It's a lot simpler to tell folks like, hey, we can earn eight percent on this. You know, you don't see micro strategy out there, you know, running bitcoin mine like bitcoin mining, or running rigs themselves. So we're staking it all and then we get that in kind, and.
Speaker 2: So it just adds to our soul per share. That's great.
Speaker 3: Are there any defied components or it's too early, or are you exploring anything that you can do to earn additional yield.
Speaker 2: We're starting to.
Speaker 1: But what I'd say is we're trying to maximize shareholder value, but in a risk prudent manner, and I think that is actually somewhat unique among different dats out there. And so our view is we're not going to take on too much leverage to where you could potentially get in trouble. Micro strategy will only lever up to twenty percent, and NAVE we're at roughly eleven percent right now. We're dealing with an asset that's you know, much more volatile and Bitcoin number two we're not doing a lot of like on chain dgen trading. Like my personal view is like if we came out and you know, this is not guidance, but finger in the air, if we issued equity at our current multiple, you could see a fifty percent increase in our soul per share, and assuming that that multiple holds, like our stock would move commensurately with that. And just this ability to intelligently issue equity and increase soule per share is just so powerful that in my mind, it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to start looping you know, LSTs and trying to earn an additional like two percent per year or something like that. And I think we would consider it when we get additional regulatory clarity, but I think like, we're not fully there yet. And then the last thing that we're doing is we're using like risk and operational best practices, so as I mentioned, using only qualified custodians and top validators, and we're diversifying amongst them. And we think that this positions us really well to whether any market environment and is a strategy that will resid not only with like crypto investors, but also traditional investors as well.
Speaker 3: So on that note, right, in mitigating risks, reducing your risk not being over levered and so forth. How are you preparing for market downturns and bear markets right as we've seen the cyclical pattern of even as stock market right, things go up and down over time depending on what the Fed's doing, global liquidity and all that stuff. How are you preparing for that? And you know there's a lot of companies doing this. There's talks of some of these companies might blow up, and not necessarily because of the crypto assets, but maybe mismanagement. But I think you address some of that right with the things that you guys are doing to avoid situations like.
Speaker 1: That hundred percent, And so I think it's about being disciplined in the bowl market. So, I mean, we've disclosed that we have a a line where we can draw on, and we have forty million that we've pulled on this This is where like that forty million relative to our three hundred and seventy five million of soul NAV works out to like low teens leverage. It's tempting because we have more on that line that we could draw and we obviously have this very positive view of Solana, but we don't want to do anything to where we'd ever be forced to sell, and particularly where we'd be forced to sell at the wrong time. And so for us, it's just about being very disciplined in the good times so you can not only make sure you can survive but also thrive in the tougher times as well.
Speaker 3: This trend of digital acid treasury companies, do you see this continuing to grow and more companies that are publicly traded, whether they're in the NASDAK Top one hundred or S and P five hundred, starting to look at this strategy or would it then get too saturated where maybe they wouldn't be the same incentive or volatility that would be needed to get the benefits, If that makes sense, I think.
Speaker 1: That you'll see more and more companies launch treasury strategies. And it's almost as simple as like most of the companies that have embarked on such a strategy have seen their stock really work. I think management has a fiduciary duty to try to increase its stock price, and so I think you'll continue to see that. I do think that there's likely only to be three to five tokens where this strategy will work long term, because, like I said, ninety five percent of all coins are down ninety five percent over five years. There's only a handful that I think I can be confident on that will perform really well over a five year period, and then within that, I actually think they'll only be like two to three winners within each And the reason why I say that is you need to kind of get to this breakout size and volume to really employ the full capital markets flywheel or micro strategy model. For instance, we're trading it roughly two times on this like fully loaded m NAV, like when you make adjustments for things that kind of obfuscate the real or true underlying value that the market's ascribing to us. And so the way that micro strategy actually sells stock at two times is through like an ETM or in equity line. And in that instance, you're actually a bit limited by your volume because you can typically only sell like one to three percent of your volumes without pushing down your stock price. And so an ATM or an equity line is essentially a way to just the company to sell equity right out into the market. You really need to get to sufficient size to where you can get liquidity in the common, to where you can actually sell you know, hundreds of millions of worth of you know, your equity into the market each week, and then you can use that to buy digital assets. And you're seeing that with bitmind Immersion, you're seeing that with sharp Link. We are working really hard to get there as well. We're hoping and feel confident that we can, you know, maintain our lead and continue to be the canonical Salona Treasury company. But yeah, so for that reason, I think that there's likely to be two to three winners in roughly three to five tokens, and then the rest I think can make short term gains. But you know, I wouldn't you know, want to be an investor for five years and a lot of the other ones.
Speaker 3: Oh sure? And does it make sense to eventually explore doing a basket of these assets, like maybe you hold Bitcoin with Solana or maybe Bitcoin, ETHERM and Solona, right, or is it better to just stick to one asset? You know? What are some of the considerations.
Speaker 2: There for us. We're all in on Solana.
Speaker 1: We do think that it is like then will be the leading smart contract or high performance blockchain. I do think that when you go with one token, you keep the story simple. If we did a basket, and we added like chain link and pythe and you have to explain to traditional investors what a cross chain bridge and an oracle is. I think like maybe they're out. I think Reserve one is this fact that launch that is using like a basket. So I think that there already are some out there employing that. But for us, kind of keeping it simple and just being able to tell folks like, hey, like we really believe Solana is essentially NASDAC on chain enabling Internet capital markets, and you know, Upexy could be the best way to invest in Solana and to play that eventually you know, continuing to grow. Then for us, like that was the right choice now.
Speaker 3: I saw it. Just recently you brought Arthur Hayes, cryptog founder of course has his own fund. I had him on the pod not too long ago, as part of your advisory committee. Tell us about why Arthur and how he's going to be helping you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we announced the establishment of our advisory committee a couple of weeks ago, and I think it provides a ton of benefits. So we're backed actually by fifteen or sixteen of the leading crypto vcs. Mouse from obviously it's his family office is one of them. So we maintain pretty close relationship with each of them. They're adding a ton of different value in many different ways, and then we wanted to formalize that relationship a little closer with you know, some folks like Arthur who obviously like he's a legend in crypto. He knows so many people. We met with him earlier this week, and I mean he was providing all sorts of great advice and then obviously like he's got this really great visibility and half of adat the game for DATS is like increasing your visibility as well.
Speaker 2: And so he's.
Speaker 1: Already bringing us tremendous value. And we've announced him as the first inaugural member of the committee. We'll have four more folks coming on, some of which we've signed, some of which we're still looking for and hoping to have as many big names as possible from both crypto and TRADFI to really help us both with their expertise and with their visibility and access to capital.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, and what's on your ROMap? I know you touched on quite a few things, but anything else you want to highlight.
Speaker 1: Will continue to try to be as visible as possible. We've talked about and we've publicly disclosed we want to hire more folks, ideally with like a built in voice, either in Tradfi or in Solana. I think some of this can be through like this advisory committee or this could be a more permanent position within the company, and we've said that publicly before, and so really just continuing to push on the visibility front and then on the I guess intelligent equity issue inside. Like the business model of these companies is to raise capital as much capital as possible in this risk prudent and accretive fashion, and so we're hoping to be successful there as well, and continuing to raise capital to invest in Hoddle as much Solana as possible.
Speaker 3: I would love to get your take on the broader market at large. Obviously, we just had the Genius Act pass that's a stable coin bill. We got the clarity the Market Structure Bill coming up September or early October. You know, what is your outlook with these legislation pieces in place, trad FI coming all in on crypto digital acid treasury, companies buying etaps are going to be launch by the SEC, and much more. What are your thoughts and outlook on the market.
Speaker 1: Depends on the timeframe. I'd be a bit more positive near term just because these dats. I think you'll start to see more and more large scale dats and more and more tokens, And I think like it's probably in my mind, the biggest reason why EATH moved up from twenty seven hundred to forty seven hundred. I think you'll start to see that with other tokens. But X that in my mind, anytime you talk about like just the coming months, it'll probably ebb and flow with the macro, with traditional equity markets, with what's happening with like employment, inflation, and monetary policy. But what I'd say is, if you ask me over three years, I'm supremely bullish. Reason for that is because I do think we'll get market structure legislation, as you mentioned, likely next year. I think this has been the biggest thing always holding crypto back in the US. I think that all of these big tech companies and big finance companies haven't really wanted to disanger media themselves, and certainly so if it would bring on additional regulatory and legal risk. And now once we get market structured legislation. They're going to have to because if they don't, they'll be disintermediated by those who do.
Speaker 2: And it's really these biggest.
Speaker 1: Companies that have billions of customers, built in trust, billions in capital, and top developers, and so I think we could actually see a step function change in usage and development. This will be something like Google Chrome adding a built in crypto wallet, Amazon accepting stable coins, and I really think we could be on the precipice of onboarding the masses. And I just think like anybody like to even tangentially touching crypto, it would be incredibly well positioned to benefit from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to for the day those things are happening that you outline, And I think maybe as soon as market structure is in place, I think you're going to probably see a lot of announcement. It could be folks are working on some of these things, but to your point, like they can't release it to the public, they can't have the public access there right now. But once the clarity there, it's it's game on. Awesome, Brian, I love what you guys are doing, and it sounds like you got a great setup and you guys are taking the right approach to this. I got some wrap up questions here for you. First, if you could create your own metaverse, what would the theme be?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I'd say outside of work, I spend most amount of time with my two daughters, and I think that they would enjoy a metaverse more so than I would. So I'd probably create one with things like castles and unicorns and bring my girls and they would uh yeah, just have a ball with it. Nice rapid fire questions favorite food Tankatsu, Ramen, favorite musician or band MGK, favorite movie Gladiator, favorite book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
Speaker 3: And when you're not working at UPEXI, what are you doing for fun?
Speaker 2: Spending time with my family.
Speaker 3: Brian, great stuff, looking forward to the future. Updates around you, Pacsi, But thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thank you really appreciate it.