Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Time and Change Will Shirley Show. I'm Tony Gerdaman here with Juck Maletti as we discuss the past president and future of Ohio State through one particular topic. And I guess as we're discussing the past president of the future of Ohio State, the topic that we're choosing this week is the Michigan football program. So well actually talking more Michigan than Ohio State, but also don't worry, plenty of Ohio State. And as we like to do with these episodes, let's get some background, Juck, when did you really start to get aware become aware of the rivalry and what was it like growing up whenever you did with that rivalry.
Speaker 2: So my family, Italian Catholic family, Catholic school were majority Notre Dame fans, and I was an Ohio State fan, not as a way to rebell it them. It just felt natural to me to root for the guys that said Ohio and I didn't get the whole Notre Dame deal. So I want to say I was probably ten years old or so when the rivalry really became like part of because I had a neighbor who they all they went down, they had seen the season tickets, and I kind of got schooled by him and his family as to everything when I was younger, which is where I watched watch the game, watch a lot of the games growing up. So thank goodness for them, because you know, one one different change and I could have been a Notre Dame guy sitting here with the leprechaun behind me, you know who knows tone, But yeah, ten years old and then and then kind of that would have been like ninety one, and from there through my high school years it ended in about ninety eight. Were spent the majority of the time over there with my neighbors when they weren't at the game.
Speaker 3: So that is kind of my background on it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, a similar story for me as well. I grew up in Northwest Ohio, which if you're not from there, it's there's a lot of Michigan fans there. Didn't have a bunch of Michigan fans growing up in the schools, you know, when I was going to school, but you can always tell who they were in terms of the kids. The counter not counterculture, but as you said, like the rebelling against you against whatever the family or the local school is. So they were those those kinds of people where it's they don't even really care.
Speaker 3: They didn't know either, Yeah, never right at.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: They just did it kind of for a reaction, and so you couldn't even really necessarily engage with them, but they'd love to engage with you after a Michigan win, believe me. And uh, it was always just like the challenge would be like, name five players, give me five people on your team that you know, and then you know, they would have like a quarterback and then somebody maybe somebody else and you'd be like, no, that guy stars on days of our lives. You're just throwing names out. But then you know, you grow up and you grow through it and it just becomes a part of you. And it's like I I remember I didn't watch all of the games, even when I was well aware of it, because they weren't all great to watch because this was the you know, the late eighties where Ohio State was not doing so well with them. But we'd have the game on and you know, we'd go out and play football and then come back and see what the score was and be like, let's go back out. Let's I've seen enough already, but then you know, you get to college and it just or you grow up and you get older, and then it's just the thing that you you get.
Speaker 4: To experience every year.
Speaker 1: And Jim Tressel brought a lot of happy years to a lot of people and somewhat continued, but there's some angst to going gone to the last few years. And so with all of this rivalry talk, I wanted us to go ahead and kind of list some rivalry killers in this and I'm I've tasked you with coming up with the wolverine killers from Ohio State. I guess you know, whether this is a that that you've seen your lifetime, give me a name on your list that immediately comes to mind, or that major list.
Speaker 2: So you know, sometimes when we do this, you come up with a formula, and you know, I've got so many memories it's tough for me to break this down. So I decided, why don't I go with a formula, and I put one together.
Speaker 3: So forty percent of the grade. Number one is wins.
Speaker 2: You got to win the game, because you know, we've seen some amazing performances against them, but in a losing effort, it's just hard to take much away from it other than, you know, a great individual performance, but it didn't didn't do much in the end, and I was miserable for a whole year after it, So how much could.
Speaker 3: I really have enjoyed it?
Speaker 2: So so forty percent win, twenty five percent individual production, twenty five percent importanance in magnitude of maybe the signature play you might have made during the game, and then ten percent for me is an Ohio bonus. Did you play high school football in Ohio? Because that, to me makes just the cut above there, and my number five guy on my list does not even reach that threshold. A Texas high school football player who was three and zero against Michigan, and that is JK. Dobbins and Ohio State won by a combined score of one forty nine to seventy seven, and his three wins first two performances solid. Third one was amazing two hundred eleven yards, four touchdowns fifty six to twenty seven, whooping at kind of the height of the absolute drubbings, and he was lost to shoe.
Speaker 3: I got a shore ripped off, but a.
Speaker 2: Total Michigan killer in the big House with four touchdowns, and that one was one that really stands out in some games that just kind of stand out for you know those games For me, Tony, they're not enjoyable experiences.
Speaker 3: They never have been.
Speaker 2: It's the longest game of the year every year. I can't wait for it to end because I just want the result. And it is the lead ups like that. Like playing a game at night, Yeah, it'd be cool, but I'm not waiting all day.
Speaker 3: I can't deal with that anxiety.
Speaker 2: So let's play at noon and let's make the clock go as fast as possible.
Speaker 3: Like that's the way I enjoy that game. The faster the better.
Speaker 2: And when the Buckeyes can win that game big, it make me feel at ease like JK did that year. You get extra bonus points, so I got JK number five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and two catches for forty nine yards in that game as well. I did not put a formula together for the other side of this because I felt if I spent too much time on it, people would get angry. So but I think and frankly, it was difficult to find five guys because I know people will say, well, you know Desmond Howard this, and Dosmon Howard. Then it's like he had a punt return in a game that Michigan was leading, in the second quarter of a game that Michigan was leading that they ended up winning comfortably. So like, other than that, he didn't really do much. I was thinking, like what about Like Will Johnson had a good game against Marvin Harrison, but that was about it. The number five, I don't even have a number five because the Donovan Edwards, for instance, everybody talks about Donovan Edwards in the career that he had against Ohio State. In his Ohio State career, he did rush for two hundred and sixty six yards. One hundred and sixty of those came on two carries at the end of the one of those games, and his other thirty five carries went for one hundred and six yards. So like the rest of his career against Ohio State, outside of those two carries went for three yards. And I'm saying all of that to say, I'm gonna put Brian Greasy number five because to me, he was always in my day in my college days, it felt like he was the guy that would come in and save Michigan or just keep Michigan on top while they had their quarterback rotation with like I don't know Scott drys Back or whomever, but I just remember after I graduated thinking Brian Greasy, like, how do you just having this feeling? Like like Brian Greasey was just so annoying growing up in this because like he wasn't great, he was just good enough, and he was good against Ohio State.
Speaker 4: At times, he.
Speaker 2: Was so annoying listening to his dad call his games and call him Brian like Brian, I mean, it was so flipping annoying, dude, I couldn't stand it. That was something that really that became a thing at school with me and my buddies, Brian Bryan. But yeah, you know the thing is when we talk about big plays, man, because the Donovan Edwards thing, like I would to guess that Tony, I'd have thought that he had much better aside from those big runs, because those big plays in that game stand out so much and they mean so much in that game that it certainly feels to me like Donovan Edwards just had a great, great time against Ohio State, but thirty five carries for one hundred and six yards not so much. Moving on to number four for me, a Missouri running back Ezekiel Elliott Ezekiel Elliott three to zero against Michigan twenty fourteen, Buckeyes in the lead in the second half, but it's close and forty four yarder to make it forty two to twenty eight effectively in the game. And then in twenty fifteen, coming off of the Sparta game where he'd not get the ball, the loss, it was horrible, just a gut wrenching week and leading into that game, which you know, I think everybody felt Ohio State was going to win and win big, and you know, he he kind of went nuts that game, thirty carries over two hundred yards and uh and they and they beat him down. But Zeke coming off that game with the attitude that he had, that was that was an especially uh you know, there's like the season is over, which is what it was back then, and it was just a cathartic victory. And that's one that stands out that I'll remember a lot.
Speaker 4: And that was a pick them.
Speaker 1: The line on that one was even and they went in and you know, went to Michigan won forty two thirteen. And that that fourteen to twenty fourteen game when Cardale Jones comes in and it's a one score game and people are a little bit nervous, and then, as you said, Ezekiel Elliott breaks it for forty two or forty four yards and ends the game like, yeah, I can if he's only if he's only fourth on this list, sounds like a pretty good list. I wonder, I wonder who could ever be number one on this list? Gosh, I have no idea da who it might be the fourth guy on my list. I'm gonna go ahead, And the problem with this list is that so many of these guys just did it one year, and whereas you're you're you're throwing out the two guys that you've got so far did it two years and three years. And I'm gonna go with I guess I'll go with Chris Perry, who in two thousand and three just thirty one carries one hundred and fifty four yards, two touchdowns, five catches fifty five yards, and after every carry would get up like he is just like he's on death's door and he's on his last leg, and he would.
Speaker 3: Just help me up.
Speaker 1: Like you remember watching the offensive lineman carry and Byron Leftwich from snap to snap, it was basically like that, Like full back picking them up and then a left tackle picking him up, and then he'd, you know, he'd go ahead and get the ball and run for seven more yards and drop down and they'd have to come out and resuscitate it and clear and then he carry the ball again. It's like, once they come out and they put the paddles to you, you should have to miss a snap. Yeah, and he never did. And just it was a one year thing. But man two thousand and three to kind of end the Jim Trussel run of two years and just remind people that Michigan is still here. They've not gone away quite yet, though they would go away after that.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That dude was so annoying.
Speaker 2: We'll go to my number three, my personal favorite Ohio state running back of all time. And I came with a lot of running backs here in my list because apparently my formula really liked running backs. But this running back from my city such a skinny young fella that he was nicknamed string Bean by his older brother, Chris. Beanie Wells number twenty eight for the Buckeyes three and zero against Michigan. Obviously he gets that ten percent Ohio High School bonus, a Garfield legend of high school that no longer exists here in Akron. Beannie was built for this rivalry and he was just one of those dudes. It's more physical as the game goes on that run. As a freshman, that fifty two yarder was to me. You know, sometimes you have plays in this rivalry where it's a young guy that is just gets you so excited for the rest of his career. And when he popped that one, it was like, we got a star. We got a star. And to this day, I think he is maybe the least talked about, most underrated Ohio state back. So Beannie definitely number three on my list, thirty nine for two twenty two and a couple of touchdowns I think in two thousand and seven and the following year another.
Speaker 3: One hundred yarder.
Speaker 2: Just just a total Michigan killer. He was such a load, he was so nimble on it, his fees so fun to watch, and he was a.
Speaker 3: Bad, bad dude.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: You didn't want any of him.
Speaker 4: That two thousand and six run.
Speaker 1: I remember watching it at a buddy's house and you know, probably eight or ten of us in the room and he makes that spin move and he takes off and the place just goes crazy because to me, I've wrote it. I wrote it at the time for the Ozone. It's like, I think, I think that's the greatest run I've ever seen because it just it came out of nowhere. He made a guy miss, it's a huge game, gets to the end zone, and that was we all knew he was going to be really, really, really good. He was a five star running back one in the country. Yeah, right, and I mean like beyond prototypical size, right, he's like six two two twenty five and and looked I remember the first time I talked to him, and it's like he looked like a defensive end basically.
Speaker 3: Tony and Tony, you were not looking up at him.
Speaker 4: Well, no, you're right, No, you're right. But maybe he had cleats on Tony's sixty five. If you guys do know.
Speaker 1: Bigger than life, Beaty wells. I know he's not going to make your list, but I never will. Mention to Antonio Pittman, Oh yeah, for sealing the game in two thousand and five, for going over one hundred yards in two thousand and six, another very underrated dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'll.
Speaker 1: Stop saying running backs in case one of them makes your list that you still have yet to go my number three, I guess I will go with I'm gonna go with Jim Harball here, and I don't have all of his numbers.
Speaker 4: I just know he predicted a win. Played well enough.
Speaker 1: It's like back in those days, you complete eight of seventeen passes and you rush for forty two yards and you manage the game and you do well enough.
Speaker 4: And he was he was just a pain.
Speaker 1: He was annoying, he was he was mobile, and he also I forget what year it was, it was an Ohio stadium. There was a rule back then that if the crowd was too loud, there would be a flag thrown if the quarterback couldn't if the players couldn't hear the quarterback, they would you get the layup game. And then after that there'd be like five yards. I don't I could have should have gone back and looked at the box court to see how many times this was called. It felt like felt like three or four. But of course the Ohio State crowd is going to be going crazy and loud, and then Jim Harbar was like, you know everybody's like, can't hear, can't hear throw the flag? Come on, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So like that sort of stuff, it's almost like there almost, I mean, it just it seems hmm. We hadn't really thought about that, but you might be onto something there. But Jim Harbor number three on that list, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if the audience is gonna like that selection, Tony. My number two is look four and oh against Michigan was mister J. T.
Speaker 4: Barrett. And as a.
Speaker 2: Quarterback, a pure quarterback, you know, I was certainly in the camp towards the end of his career that I was ready to get.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be a change. I wanted to see some change.
Speaker 2: But you can't take away from him that he was the quarterback of those teams. And even though he struggled mightily in twenty sixteen, like one hundred and I don't know, one hundred and five yards passing or something, it was just not good, you know, he also had some good ones too, led the Buckeyes to a comeback in twenty seventeen, and the four and oh is four and oh and obviously a great, great great buck guy, great leader. So I got him at number two. Yeah, this is one that he was. He was tough.
Speaker 1: He went into that twenty seventeen game with a knee that kept popping out, and and he just kept playing until he could no longer play. And it's it was so funny. It's hilarious to watch his knee pop out. But like the last time it happens, it's like he's getting up and he's trying to put it back in, trying to put it back in, and he's like, it's not going back in. And the fact that he was going to put it in and then just stay out there is a testament to his will to win, his toughness, his pain threshold, and of course his desire.
Speaker 4: To beat Michigan.
Speaker 1: And he had some very very good games, very big plays against Michigan. And but like you said, if you're around for so long, eventually you know you kind of I don't want to say outgrow, You're welcome, but it's like, really, people want to see something new, and they kept seeing the same thing with JT. Barry, and all it did was as you said, four and oh against Michigan.
Speaker 4: Oh hum.
Speaker 1: Another honorable mention shout out to Carlos Hyde who had two really good games against Michigan. Did he make your anywhere on your top ten list or anything like that, or he.
Speaker 2: Was in my honorable mentions, which I have a few, Okay, but yeah, I'm with you, definitely with Los And also what a really really fun underrated Ohio State running back.
Speaker 1: For sure that we'll eventually do a show on that the underrated running backs or underrated players, because man, there's been a lot of good ones. Oh yeah, we're just talking about one on the Buckey Insiders board the other day about Raymond Harris, number thirty four, Carlos Hide number thirty four as well. The number two player, Yeah, the number two player on my list is tim Biakabatuca. I was there for this one. Three hundred and thirteen Russia, three hundred thirteen yards on thirty seven carries, one touchdown, and it was just just relentless. And it's not like there's a bunch of fifty yarders. There was just you know, a twelve yard or a thirteen yard, or a seven yard er, an eight yard or a nine yard. It was like imagine watching the two thousand and seven Illinois game and Juice Williams just keeps picking up every like thirty seven times, Juice Williams, That's what this felt like. And I was in the in the end zone for this one as a student with other Ohio State students, and we're just just kept watching Tim Biakabatuca. It seemed like every every drive was coming our way and you just it's like there.
Speaker 4: Was nobody ever in front of him. It's like what the world is going on?
Speaker 1: That one was a frustrating one, but again another just kind of one hit wonder.
Speaker 2: I mean not only like a one hit wonder, but like I remember being like, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: I don't even know this guy?
Speaker 2: And it's one thing when you gear up for the game and you know, you know who their star players are, and you're like, well, how are we gonna stop Desmond?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like, who is it? Dude? How do you say his name? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, that was that was a tough watch, buddy. That was one of those where you're just like a fire everybody you all need to be fired, like you're.
Speaker 3: All gone, But tough tough one there.
Speaker 2: Obviously, everybody knows who Number one is, and I think that the fact that everybody knows who Number one is is so incredible in the history of this rival that there somehow is a guy who is a definitive, unarguable number one. Like that is what makes Troy Smith so incredible and you know, the ultimate Michigan Killer. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like it. The era that it happened plays so much into it, kind of like retaking the dominance over in the rivalry.
Speaker 3: The the ball.
Speaker 2: Stampede, Like when you see that in your head, it's just like chills. Obviously, we could run down his accomplishments. We all know what he did and they were just huge stakes games as well, like you know, the stakes of the games, the era that it took place in. You got the bonus Ohio football player in my stats. I mean it had everything. It had, It had theatric plays, it had it all and just amazing, amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: How far away, Like how much of a lead did he have over number two?
Speaker 2: Huge for me for me, like personally, because you know, this was a lot of this was done. I don't know about you how you feel about this, but there are so many times when we've done lists like this, and I've done them before where J. T.
Speaker 3: Barrett, Like, for instance, we had j T.
Speaker 2: Barrett is the all time greatest player when we did a statistical thing in one.
Speaker 3: Of our stats. There are so many times when j T.
Speaker 2: Barret is like this reluctant tree on a list that I do. And it's not because I don't love the guy. I just don't think he was a great player. And there's so many great players that have played at Ohio State, great players, and.
Speaker 3: Troy Smith and j T.
Speaker 2: Barrett, to me, there's a there's a massive, massive gap between those two, even in their performances against Michigan and maybe in the I don't know the feel of those Obviously there was a couple of big, big, big ones for JT. But just just Troy's era and everything about it was it's unmatchable. It's unmatchable. But my first honorable mention would be Mike DAWs for a similar like the era and what in what was going on and the upset delivering on on Tressel's three hundred and ten days speech and uh and Dass was a just a mad dog that day, So Doss one of my honorable.
Speaker 1: Mentionsdrelle Pryor got to play against the two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, twenty ten, Michigan Wolverine. So he had some good games. He was three and zero, but he played against rich Rod, so it doesn't really only count so much. But Troy Smith two thousand and four, first year as a starter, half a year as a starter, two hundred and forty one yards passing one hundred and forty five yards rushing, and magical two thousand and five brought them down from brought them back from nine to down and like within the last five minutes throws for three hundred yards, rushes for another thirty seven and a touchdown. Then two thousand and six, the Game of the century type thing, three hundred and sixteen yards passing four touchdowns and was just incredible. And that's why when we did our quarterback show, it surprised me that he finished number two for both of us, behind Justin Fields, if I recall, and it was because of the Michigan stuff. So like this stuff, this stuff carries weight. And just as there was a no doubter number one for Ohio State, there's a no doubter or number one for Michigan, and that's Charles Woodson, who even as a true freshman in nineteen ninety five, had an interception. He held Terry Glenn of four catches for seventy two yards long of twenty five and that was the year Terry Glenn won the Buleetnikoff like seventeen touchdowns fifteen hundred yards and basically held to half of his average in against Michigan. In that ninety five game, Woodson had two interceptions, seven tackles. In ninety six, he had nine tackles, held David Boston to three catches for sixty eight yards. One of those was a fifty six yarder. Actually that was ninety seven when Boston had that long catch and did the taunting, that was really the only play that he had. Woodson in that same game in ninety seven had a thirty seven yard catch, seventy eight yard punt return and also, oh yeah, an interception.
Speaker 4: So like he was three and zero.
Speaker 1: Again, it's Ohio State in ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven, Key and all of those games. And it's crazy that in ohioan so remove some of those bonus.
Speaker 3: Points negative ten bonus point.
Speaker 1: But the contrast between him and like Desmond Howard broad and broadcasting, I think is pretty star because I like Charles Woodson does not seem like a He's not trying to be a villain. He will be very matter of fact at times and it may not like it, but he's not playing a role. And he's one of the great villains in this rivalry. But also I think commands a lot of respect as well.
Speaker 3: I'd have to agree.
Speaker 2: I'd have to agree he's certainly not someone like when I think of him, hatred comes to mind. And as much as I try not to let like trolls get under my skin, man Desmon Howard does it every time.
Speaker 3: It just it really really works. It really really works.
Speaker 2: I mean it goes to like me whining to myself, like how does ESPN let him get away with this?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, uh so, yeah, totally agree, clear number one, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: And I guess, I guess to my.
Speaker 2: Troy point, it's it's double crazy. There's a definitive number one on both sides. Yeah, that is really that's really wild for all the great players on both sides of it that have come through.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: What is no surprise, of course, is that both of them are from Ohio. Like, that's not a surprise at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about that. How about Chick Harley for an honorable honorable mention?
Speaker 2: Uh the the first Ohio state win and uh and the uh the compliment from from uh oh what the hell is this name? Tony, their their number, their first guy, not Fritz.
Speaker 3: Chrysler the other other one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: There their first big time coach. I forget his name is escaping me. Came over into the locker room afterwards to tell them what a what a stud field ghost, fielding ghost, to tell everybody what a unbelievable player Chick Harley was in the Buckeyes first win, and that, you know, was one of the biggest games in school history, maybe the biggest game for certain to that point and probably stayed that way for a long time. So definitely an honorable mention to him as well as a j Hawk who was three and oh as a guy who was a starter in the game and had some big time games for sure, and then everything after that. You know, obviously a ton of one hit wonders that that you love their performance in that one year, but there's too many that had multi years to really put them up there. So big Vern, but big Vern up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michigan guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one of the few him and him and Crenzel that did.
Speaker 3: Did some work. So that's what I got.
Speaker 1: I will say in terms of the being annoyed by Dosen Howard, that's a feature, not a bug. That's kind of that's kind of the point. Moving to the present, then, we we spent some time with some Michigan players in Kyle Whittingham at Big Ten media days, So I'm wondering how you think the present tense of Michigan is going to go this year. I did think it was interesting Kyle Whittingham saying don't read too much into the spring game for Bryce Underwood because the offensive line was all mixed up, And I get that, and sure, and that's probably true, and we're not basing everything we see on a spring game. It's just it was it was disappointing that the guy that we saw in the spring was the same guy that we saw in the season. But when he says, you're going to see a lot of what we did with Devin damp here last year. Dampier, the quarterback at Utah, rushed for like eight hundred yards and they used him a lot in that way, and I don't know when you hear something like that, do you think that fits Bryce Underwood because he can run.
Speaker 4: But that's a lot of wear and tear.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with the spring game comment that he made. And I actually just did a whole show on those two Underwood and in winning him that I just got done recording because which I just had so many notes from the two of them, listened to them, and that one really stood out to me because Tony he brought it up. Nobody else brought it up. Nobody else said, boy, he really sucked in the spring game. Like he brought it up and said, look, I know this guy sucked in the spring game. But here's why the problem I have. And it's true. We obviously know the spring game. We've seen a ton of terrible performances from great players at Ohio State went on to have great seasons. The thing is when you finished the year the way he finished the year with a five to seven touchdown to interception ratio, with your feet all over the place but up underneath you when you're throwing the ball, and then we see you after spring with now your new staff and your quarterback coach, and.
Speaker 3: It looks the exact same.
Speaker 2: That's when I have to start to wonder, maybe there is more to this, And I just don't know how much I believe that this guy is a guy that is extremely fixable in his delivery and his mechanics and if it's not something that like, when things just aren't perfect, it just gets a little scrambled in his melon and he just you know, he's all over the.
Speaker 1: Place he he is, and the launch angles and the whether it's from, you know, and his shoulder angles, just things are all over the place. And you know, we didn't stay at a holiday in express, but it's like we've seen a lot of quarterbacks and what looks right and what doesn't and some of those passes.
Speaker 4: He's got a really strong arm, but the delivery.
Speaker 1: Will force some of those passes to float, and the accuracy is not there, and footwork is kind of wonky. But like I think, making him like a Devin Dampier, and Devin damp Pier runs about ten times a game, ten twelve times a game, that will certainly make him dangerous and he could absolutely put up you know, six to eight hundred yards rushing and throw for three thousand and twenty five hundred to three thousand.
Speaker 4: I just don't know if he wants.
Speaker 1: To do that in terms of that's how he views himself, because he certainly views himself as a passer first who can't run. But he ran about eighty sometimes last year for three, three or four hundred yards, so it's there. I just don't know if he wants to do that all game long, over the course of a season.
Speaker 3: I I would agree. I think that.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm winning him, that that's the best that's the best way to win for me is too. You know, Michigan fans were irritated about last year Sharon Moore kind of reining him in, not letting him go be a playmaker with his feet. He still ended up when he rushed for about four hundred yards, same as same as been and he should be rushing for more yards than Mendoza.
Speaker 3: So I think that if.
Speaker 2: I'm winning him, and boy, he's staunchly defended that that stance too, didn't he He was talking and saying, you know, if you're not running the quarterback, you're missing the boat talking plus one. I mean he sounded like Irvan twenty years ago. Yep uh, But you know, old habits die hard. I just don't know, and I do agree that Bryce sees himself as more of a pocket passer, but I think that's their best way to win, and if they can, if they can get eight hundred yards out of him and he stays healthy, I think they'd be pretty dangerous.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree, It's just defensive coordinators hate dealing with the quarterback that can run, and it's just one more thing to worry about. One of the things that Winningham said also that a good running game will help. Yeah, for sure, Rice under would a lot. And I like the pieces that they've got there with Jordan Marshall and Savean Hyder. I think that's a pretty good one two punch. Oh yeah, it might be the best one two punch in the Big ten. I mean, you've been looking at the Big ten. Ohio State. We like the Bo Jackson and Isaiah West, but that one two punch in Michigan. I know Oregon likes theirs as well, and they've got they've got a different kind of one two punch with Jordan Davison and deer Hill. Yeah, deer Hill, who is lightning. Yeah, I think there's there's some good ones. Do you think where where is Michigan? Can they be that number one?
Speaker 4: One? Two?
Speaker 3: That's number one for me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think Savian Heider is you know, we talk a lot about David Gabriel George recently, but to me, you know, I'd have taken David Gord's by by like I mean the I don't know the width of a dime over Savian Hider Like there, he is that good too, And that was a huge acquisition by Tony Alford. And Jordan Marshall is a college back that I didn't really see coming out of high school. I thought he'd be good. He's better than I thought he'd be. But the two of those guys together, that's a load and a half to deal with. Man, that is a load and a half to deal with. And then if you've got Bryce now also involved in the running game, I mean, this is just going to make the lanes and the winners and everything easier for him to throw the ball. And he can do it when there's not a whole lot going on, when things are like he needs it to be a little easier, I think. And now I think we're talking if they got an offensive line that's clicking a pretty dangerous, a pretty dangerous unit with obviously, and he's now got a quarterback coach. Okay, he's got Koy Detmer coaching him. This is a huge, huge thing compared to let's be honest, Tony. I mean, I just now after all this, looking back, like I thought it at the time that the coaching staff at Michigan under Searan Moore was such a huge drop back from Jim Harbaugh, But now I almost think it was totally incompetent. And we really looked at this kid as a freshman playing without a quarterbacks coach a thirteen million It's crazy to me, when was he getting instruction, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So with this now I think that.
Speaker 2: It's just so much that it's just got to be you know, when we look at the talent and the roster, we are now seeing how much of a difference coaches make when they come in and the roster's talented, how much they can really turn it around faster, improve it fast, like faster than we've ever seen. So I think we could really see a pretty a pretty powerful offense out of them this year potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're still trying to find their five best offensive linemen, and Winningham said they've got nine or ten guys that they think can do it, and one of those guys will be Andrew Babalola, the freshman who was hurt last year. But they really really like in terms of, you know, how is he learning to play quarterback? You can watch things and learn anything on YouTube. Now they change the light bulb, fix a flat play quarterback. And then you said you didn't see Jordan Marshall coming. You didn't see that happening. Neither did Tony Alfred or else. He probably would have recruited him harder at Ohio State, So you know, fortunate there. Receiver wise, Andrew marsh is great. I think he's gonna be a thousand yard receiver. JJ B Caannon that they got from Utah is six three two fifteen hybrid receiver tight end that I think could do a lot of damage in the slot, kind of like Colston Loveland did for them. Jamie French comes over from Texas, hasn't done anything yet, so it's like I kind of view him. I get like Milon Graham basically, where it's you know, there's recruiting rankings and potential and Notre Dame's excited about him. Ohio State wanted him back at a price. Texas had to let some people go. But I'm not expecting much from Jamie French this year. I think the other two guys that I mentioned are going to be pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: Though, with you on the other two, Jamie French, to me, Man is a knucklehead and I don't see him ever doing much of anything.
Speaker 3: So no, I'm not seeing that.
Speaker 2: By the way, Bryce's best friend, he said, is Jamie French, So it all just kind of nits for me.
Speaker 1: All well, I mean, if your best friend is the quarterback, maybe you will be more busy as a receiver.
Speaker 4: It's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Defensively, Kyle Whatdingham talked about the defensive line that he likes. He's got five defensive ends and defensive he said, yeah, Well, I mean like Carter Meadows, who just us five star defensive end, just came in in June and they think he can play right away. It's rare for a guy to come in late and then be somebody that plays right away. J T tw a Moloau did it. Maybe Carter Meadows will do it, and he might be starting out as their number five guy John Henry Daily coming back coming over from Utah following an achilles tear last year.
Speaker 4: Is he can to be.
Speaker 1: Going on right away. Generally people don't. But they've got other guys. The defensive line seems like they've always always got guys. It's when they're special. And when they're special, you know, really good is when they have NFL first rounders, and too early to know if they've got those this year.
Speaker 3: For me, yeah, i'd say, I'd say I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I think that, uh, I would lean towards John Henter Daily is a pretty impactful guy this year. But you know, when we're talking about an injury like that, it's just a guess.
Speaker 3: You know, we just don't know.
Speaker 2: But a hell of a competitor and uh he's an incredibly strong, super competitive, all the stuff man, all the things. He's got, all the right stuff. I would love if he was a Buckeye. But they got one in him. And then Carter come in he said he's up to two fifty five now and he's a pretty pretty special specimen of a dude. Obviously, the Buck guys missing out on that recruitment and Luke Wayful within a month of each other, which was a big, a big deal and a lot of talk as he goes to Michigan, wayful to USC and the buck guys get them back in the class of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: But we're looking at some really.
Speaker 2: Powerful, top tier edge rushers coming into the Big Ten that I don't think we're used to seeing these kinds come to the Big Ten. As Oregon brings in Rashad Streets as well, Like we've got some some of the dudes we're used to seeing, like playing at Alabama and Georgia now in the Big Ten.
Speaker 3: And it's pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: You know the back seven or back six or how in back seven, back eight for Michigan, they've got new linebackers, Troy Bowles returns. Yeah, they've got some transfers coming in and they've got a corner. They've got the returning corners.
Speaker 4: They bring in.
Speaker 1: A corner from from Utah to maybe be the the nickel a little bit. The safety's Rod more should be should is good to go. Rod Morrison. He's feeling better than he has in years. But as Kyle Whittingham said, that's a relative term. Bring in another treat transfer safety. They've got a lot of transfers and not from big schools per se, from smaller schools that they're going to be relying on this year in the back end of their defense. And I've never been blown away by jay Ra Hill or Zeke Barry at corner. Jerry Hill's good. He's not Will Johnson. He's not like some of the really good corners of the past. In my opinion, Like, I don't know that there's much to make of their defense. And the name escapes me of the nickel that they brought over from Utah. But he ranked like uh bottom ten PFF and miss tackle right like last year. So that's something that he's got to get better at. Like overall, I think it starts up front, and if everything's good upfront, that's great. The back the back of the defense, I just you know, I'm very very much wait and see.
Speaker 3: I feel the same.
Speaker 2: The linebackers is where I'd be probably most concerned. I don't I don't see a whole lot of anything. Like they're talking about Nathaniel Ewosa Battang, who was you know, in last year's class, being a guy that I think that the Michigan fans voted him like they did a thing where they said who's the most important player of the year at two four seven on the Michigan site, and he was number fifteen ahead of all the rest of their linebackers.
Speaker 3: He had played seventy snaps last year. Yeah, I mean bulls.
Speaker 2: Todd Bowle's son, like he was a really good recruit, went to Georgia, was not good and didn't fit in at Georgia and before he transferred to Michigan, Like, I just don't see a whole lot of anything at linebacker.
Speaker 1: No, and they're gonna play a bunch of four two five and Ope and the nickel back that I have trouble with Smith Snowden coming over from Utah when there's just like not a lot returning and like I said, just some smaller school guys coming in and certainly some questions there special teams.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure they'll be fine, but some questions about the Michigan defense. I do think they the offense, they could just lean on that running game and.
Speaker 4: Open it up through play action.
Speaker 1: So that would be interesting to watch the schedule, though, you know, road games at Ohio State and Oregon seem like those should be two losses. I see Oregon beating them in ann Arbor, that's three losses. They could perhaps beat Oklahoma, they should beat Oklahoma. But I'm really interested to see what happens when Indiana comes to town because that one, that one will basically tell me as Indiana surpassed Michigan for the foreseeable future, or was just are they on the same level?
Speaker 2: Such an interesting game. I felt the same way as I was just talking about this, Like I said, like that one right there represents so much more than just game. If they I mean, if Indiana could go into there and beat them, it almost feels like a bit of a changing of the guard in the order of supremacy in the Big Ten.
Speaker 3: So they're obviously going to be scrapping for it.
Speaker 2: Do they get one win between their big four games of Oklahoma, Indiana at Oregon, at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Can they win one of those?
Speaker 2: For if they do, they can go nine and three and be a bubble team. If they can't, or they can't win those other games that they should, that they'll they'll be favored in the rest of them. Then I think it's a very unsuccessful first year after a nine and three season with a horrific coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Well, and really the most likely win is Oklahoma, which probably does the least for them in the playoff picture. They'd want to win against one of the Big ten teams that are going to be more likely to be in the playoffs. I do think that might be a little bit of a shootout with Oklahoma John Mattier running around and doing his thing and Bryce Underwood running around doing his thing. Gotta be a fun one, but I don't know how much we will be watching it as we're getting ready for the Texas game. Yeah, moving moving to the recruiting side of things, the future of Michigan football. You've got Kyle Whittingham having to do something that he's never done, and that's recruit at a high level. I mean, and be expected to recruit at a high level. And he's a nice guy and all of this and money can do a lot for you, and then we know that for sure, But you're not in Utah anymore. You can't operate like you're in Utah. You can't also just let the money can and happen because you still have to build relationships. So you've got some holdovers and you've got some you know, from the assistant coaches, and you've got new assistant coaches. But overall, like this is a class that he's inherited, essentially twenty twenty seven class, and it's not great. I think like eighteenth right now. But he has to do something like I said, he's never done before, and it's he's operated on development and talent recognition. Like I see this guy and in four years he'll be able to play. You can't do that. There's no four years he'll be able to play. You've got to find guys and go get guys and work hard to go get them. And this is a head coach who stepped away, and so now it's like you've got to restart it.
Speaker 4: Is it still there? Is he ready to go?
Speaker 1: We know he's he's younger than his age, I'll say that, but also can he keep up with everybody in all of the ways that need keeping up.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, Tony, when he said the other day that he was so re energized, I mean, I'm just like this guy was reminding me of like the Joe Biden memes, Like I what was he like before he was re energized. I don't know, but he's always been kind of chill.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 2: But when I look at whitting him, and I look at the last five years, like they've played BYU three times, lost all three times to BYU in four of those five years. The first four lost twenty total games in those four years. Three of them or four of them, they were all in the PAC twelve. Then in the Big twelve, No, three of them were in the Pac twelve. Then in the Big twelve the first year they lost seven games. Then last year the only one of those five years out of the last five that they had a good year was last year. So like, what Kyle Whittingham are we talking about here? What Kyle Whittingham program were talking about? Here?
Speaker 3: Were talking about peak.
Speaker 2: Kyle Whittingham, because he has not been that in the past five years. And what have we been dealing with in the past five years. A whole different way of football, tone, a whole different way of roster construction. So I'm supposed to believe now he's gonna go up here and just get it all right. When he's doing something like he's never done before, I hesitate. I hesitate to see the roster construction coming together smoothly here and to your point, he's never recruited at a high level like this. You know, I look at him and I look at Matt cambll and I'm seeing a lot of the same. Like, you know, two top one hundred players at Michigan. That's not good enough, man, It's just not good enough. Like you need to be in the big time battles like the Carter Meadows, like the Saveingon Hyder. They're not in on any of them. Why is that, I don't know. I can't answer that question. But they got themselves a five star kicker committed in twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight, sorry at IMG big one for him.
Speaker 1: Well, and you look at the I think it's the twenty twenty seven class right now, and they've got two of the top ten players in Michigan committed in twenty twenty seven, which is the same number as Oregon. Yeah, and they've got two of the top eleven through twenty They've got two of those guys.
Speaker 4: And so this isn't about.
Speaker 1: A shallow state, a shallow class where it's like, well, of course, you know, sometimes there are only two of the top ten that you need in the state of Michigan. That's not necessarily the case this year, and so it's like, yeah, you've got to you understand, losing a head coach that's going to create issues with the recruiting class. So then he's got to pick up those pieces and not only just pick them up, but turn them into something that doesn't look like it's been glued together and taped together. It's like, you've got to make it. You've got to make it brand new. And I just I have concerns about that and his ability to do that. And when when you're Matt Campbell still recruiting like you're at Iowa State, if Kyle Whittingham does the same thing, it's gonna be a mistake. We were talking on the drive to Chicago or the drive back. Rich Rod did the same thing. He was recruiting like he was at West Virginia, and you can't do that or else. Those are the programs that you're going to be competing. If you're competing against them and recruiting, that's the level that you're going to be competing on the on the field, you're gonna be as good as those programs, and being Utah is not good enough in the Big Ten. If you're Michigan and being Iowa State, sure as hell not good enough in the Big ten if that's Penn State. And I'm with you both those guys I have concerns about. With winning him, it's like the best probably of a bad situation. But how long is he going to be around? What kind of transition does that then create? Is there a coach and waiting where that coach then does more in terms of the recruiting and the coach and coach and waiting never works? So do you avoid that entirely? Probably? And I'm sure I'm sure Kyle Whittingham wants nothing to do with the coach and waiting because he just came from one and exactly so the transition to him and then from him, if it's like all in the span of five or six years, you're talking about a bunch of classes that are going to be impacted by a questionable recruiting attack, and certainly one that's going to suffer from all of the changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think what we're really gonna learn a lot next year, like the class of twenty twenty eight, like you said, like a lot of this that Hey was already in the barn a lot of the relationships were already made, and they did do a good job on a couple of guys close in. I think the interesting thing when we talk about money is how they really thought that the Larry Ellison Billions were just going to really be funding this roster from Bryce Underwood on and it feels like that was really just kind of a one time deal for him for his girlfriend was a shiny new quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you look at that twenty twenty eight class. You've got Donald to Brown, five star quarterback from Detroit cast Tech, who right now is maybe penciled in to Texas A and M. And it seems like if you're throwing money at quarterbacks that he would be the sensible next guy in yep, you know, from Bryce Underwood to him, and maybe there's a transition guy in there, Tommy Carr or something like that, but I don't even doesn't seem to be much there. And losing an in state guy like that and they've got another, They've got other, you know, top one hundred type guys in state as well, and it's still very early, but I'm interested to see what kind of strides he makes in state, because Michigan is not a bad state. There's there's always five guys that a Michigan can use and what is going to be their success rate? Their hit rate with those guys moving forward, and you know, it would be good to see them get somebody committed here. I guess maybe within the first two months of the season with some visits coming and you know, unofficial visits of course with twenty twenty eight guys. But like Oregon in USC don't have any commits yet in twenty twenty eight. So it's like, you can't panic because you know they're going to be just fine. I still would you know, I guess it's too early to get too concerned about Michigan. But until we see something more from Kyle Whittingham, it's like, what what is the baseline? It can't be overcome it. It can't be confidence, let alone over confidence.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to be honest, I would have expected a little more energy with the new coach coming in and him being such a you know, a coach with such a resume.
Speaker 3: And I don't.
Speaker 2: And we know they do have money, but they're not firing like they were with that top five, top six class. So it's gonna be interesting to see for twenty eight for sure. But I think my gut instinct is we're not gonna see We're gonna see a little bit of regression. I mean, they recruited pretty good under Sharon Moore. They that for the for all the mess that they had. Ultimately we'll see their evaluations. But you know, as far as recruiting, they did well, they did pretty well well.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and in twenty twenty six they were twelve, and they've had some good classes. I just wonder if now top six in the right and so like I wonder in the twenty twenty seven class right now, I was like eighteen. It feels like eighteen might be the water level I think moving forward until they get more aggressive and we'll see what happens with all of these retention pool and all of that and where all of the money is. But I don't see them recruiting like they did in the brief period with Searan Moore. But then Michigan has never been an elite recruiting school. They've always been eight to fifteen something like that, and they've existed just fine with their ten to eight wins a year as we've grown accustomed to them. So the recruiting has been commencer kind of with the success, and sometimes the graph goes a little high for who knows why, but anything else before we call it a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean looking into looking into the future. If I was a Michigan fan, I think I would feel really, really lucky that you got Whittingham to kind of level things off and you don't need to maybe clean it up and maybe be proud of the program, remove yourself from the delusion that you've been going through for the past couple of years. And it's going to be some traditional Michigan football that you know, who doesn't love traditional Michigan football like it's it's the kind of football they love to see.
Speaker 3: It's kind of football like most of us love to see too. And I think that they'll be pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: But as far as competing, you know, being a winning playoff team, I don't think we're going to see that underwinning him.
Speaker 1: Well, And yeah, now I'm just wondering if the next coach will the timing fit for Bob Chesney, because he's he's not going to be at UCLA in four years, I would assume, and I'd say Kyle whitting Him probably gets at least three years to do what he's gonna do. And I do wonder if at some point it's clear that Bob Chesney is leaving due to some success, if Michigan is like, Kyle, thank you for your service, but we're gonna move on, and we're going to go make an effort to go land Bob Chesney, who is one of the I think the future stars of the business.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic spot to be in if you're Michigan, if he's if winning, him's winning you eight nine to ten games, well nine ten games a year and you're just kind of sitting there waiting for your pickoff point for that next dude. It's a really good spot to be in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there you go.
Speaker 1: The next head coach of Michigan football Bob Chesney currently at UCLA. That's not tampering, that's just speculation. And he's gonna be somewhere.
Speaker 4: We know that.
Speaker 1: So what are your thoughts who is the next head coach of Michigan. How is Michigan to be going to be recruiting? Just your thoughts on some of the villains and the killers in this Rivalry'd be interested to hear you guys thoughts on YouTube and of course five star rating review on the audio side is always appreciated, and as I say, the absolute best way to support what we do is to find us over at Buckeyeinsiders dot com, become a member and say hello to us there. So that will do it for this episode of the Time and Change will Shirley Show. I want to thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you guys later