Speaker 1: I can't do this independently. The role later keeps me upright. It doesn't help me walk all it does, and it doesn't let me bend bend over. And you know how do people react to you walk everywhere with Well, they look poor woman walking with this contraption, And the sadder they look, the bigger my smile becomes. By the time we pass each other, we waved. This is ga Hi, how's everybody? We are going to make Rocott Crumpley. The English inflation of it is packed potatoes. But it's much more than packed potatoes. It's not potatoes in a brown bag, solicious potatoes baked in en oven with a lot of dairy goodies. How often do you cook? Me? Cook? I can, but I'll be very honest for myself, I never cook, except I make sure I have food for shops. Most of it is cooked by me. I'll buy some just you know, some additions. But I'm not a meat eater. I don't like meat, so I don't cook too much alone. I'm home alone, yes, and but you and me, if I dare I have peanut butter by myself? Yes? Is that sad? It's sad, But not because it's sad. It's sad because my husband is not here with me. But I read, and I read a difference between loneliness and solitude. And when I'm home for shopping, it's not about loneliness, you know. I like to be with myself. So I read a lot and I doven in between them. It'll takes me a couple of hours. And when I'm away, I have to adjust to other people's schedules, and I lose a tremendous amount of my time, which is reading, mostly in shops. So I just prefer to spend that home. But my family come, as my children come at all hours at all times. I'm alone, but I'm not lonely when it comes to sitting down by the mead alone. That's so very hard for me to to, you know, to live with. But I made it dough. Did you think of remarrying?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Absolutely never? Never? No, why not? Because truthfully, if I'm being very honest in fairness to the person, I would marry because I would compare everybody to who my husband was and wouldn't do them justice right, So it would not work. No, No, there's no way. My husband just says something so phenomenal. When I discussed it and we talked about his illness and his unfortunate demise, I asked him what am I going to do here without you? So he said, what do you mean you'll remarry? I says, no, never have to miss the cat So uh he said, well why not? I said, because I I I can't imagine living with anybody else. He says, Listen, he says, I want to tell you something. I don't know if you want to remarry, but if you do, please marry a rich man because I want him to give you everything that I wasn't able to give you. Wow. And there wasn't a single thing that I ever wanted from day one that I married him that I didn't have. So wow, So that was really not a correct statement at all. Wow. He Yeah, he was the gentlest, bestest, good hearted soul. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can we can we take a look around at the house you shared with him? How many years did you share this?
Speaker 1: When we were married for forty seven years? Wow, let's take a look.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful and it's a beautiful day.
Speaker 1: This is your china closet, yes, which is almost empty. I gave all my stuff to my children, ninety percent of it just left the enough silver or glass that I need to celebrate. Chops and Jantif this is my uh siblings at one of my son's wedding. That's my father and my father in law. Lower down is my grandfather. She was my mother's father. He survived the war, and he came to America a little later than all of us. And he was the sweetest, sweetest old man, and he had a fabulous relationship with us, and we loved him to pieces. He was almost the only grandfather in Williamsburg. He died very suddenly in one minute, when he was eighty one years old. He was not an old man, and he was a very, very beloved person. So all my children had a great grandfather.
Speaker 2: Do you sit out here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, absolutely Java this morning. I first have a coffee here, of course, when the weather permitting, and then I look around a little bit, you know, yet did see watching over the beautiful children and clothing? Oh? I love it? And all the men who go to chulaid.
Speaker 2: Do you know who is like late?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know that. I'm not interested. I don't want to know us or even in my head, But I just find it amazing to see, you know, when everybody's almost coming home and people are nicually walking to shield, you know, very very slowly and very comfortably. And no, it's just interesting to observe. And then I doven. I also dimen on the porch with the weather is nice, and then I go and I read, and then I get ready for my meal, and then I finish part of it, and then I read again. This goes out until about four and the thrown every shoves.
Speaker 2: I'm sure your kids would happily move in if you wanted them to.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want I wouldn't want them to because I don't think it's fair. They all have families and children. They deserve to have their comfort, you know, and their space in their own comfort zone for the children. But they come in the summer from when the clock has moved there come every shop this afternoon. They have a shallow sheetas in my house. And when the clock has moved back, when multi shavis comes becomes very long and shaves is short, they come fear for Abdullah and then they stay here from Avamalka. They eat, you know, they snack and they have fun. But we get to see them every week, almost every week, every Wednesday, my children who live for come up to visit. That's like carved stone. Well, my husband was alive and even my oldest son used to come in from Manhattan and we all got together and we had all these big pow wows and you know, the fun discussions and the sibling arguments and it was just wonderful. But now the ones who live close by still come here. And that's basically my interaction a whole week with my family. How many kids do you have seven? How many grandkids you really want the truth? Yes, forty forty nine horror, and I have almost that much great granded. Do you know all their names? It's impossible, absolutely really absolutely so every time baby is born, and make sure I know the name, and I remember the name, and and I try to focus on it because I don't want them to come to my house and you know, and I have no idea. Tell me what's your name? Who do you belong? Yeah? That was my grandparents. I do know all their names so far, so far, Wait till we get to one hundred. I don't think I want to be around and twenty comes, you know, in the meantime, But other than that. What am I going to do here? Too long to be by myself? You'll remarry and yeah, me and you? That was I think you're not a nice thing to say in public. No, no, no, I am good on my own. I'm not lonely either. No, really, I have to tell you, there's no way in the world I wouldn't compare the nicest person to my husband, and I couldn't accept anybody second second best. You know, he was just so so unusual. Look across the street. They're also that those three porches also have young women sitting out there with little children, and it's just a very nice way to spend chib this morning and just have what to look around at. That's all. Yeah, my children are going to be hysterical because they always want me to make rocket Crumpy during the year. They love it as a snack, and I don't want to do it. I'm just too lazy. Now when they find out that I made more from treeta, oh my gosh, I will be in trouble. Let's not tell them. I won't tell them. You're right. But they were here, yes, and I said I'm making rocket Crumpy tomorrow. They all said they're coming this evening that says, don't you dare us done? It's our show exactly. So let me have the potatoes. Let's go to the potatoes. Okay, perfect.
Speaker 2: So it's about having nicely.
Speaker 1: Shaped even potatoes. At least the circumsis circum the circumference should be, you know, even so we don't have gaps.
Speaker 2: Or we're not peeling it afterwards.
Speaker 1: If you peel it before, by the time it's cooked very well, it's going to become too soft and it's going to fall apart. You know, the slices won't stay, won't stay whole. So I think we have too many potatoes. You don't have to cook all the potatoes, Okay, I don't. I see. I never made such a moments or another that. Okay, this is Shailah like everybody does. Hangs it up. It's supposed to be a prevention against my visiting your house. Tell us again. Yes, well, there was a we all know. Actually his your side was this past week. There was a very big scholar and a very big Toaldic and Hungary in the city Caristeer. He was extremely into helping other people, feeding them all the time. And actually what I heard and I'm sure it's true that when he was sick, and when he was a last of life, he was laying but very ill, and he sent messages to the people in the kitchen, please make sure that all the people they're probably going to be coming to a funeral soon, and make sure that there's enough food cook that they shouldn't, you know, be hungry. So and there was some I don't know if it's an old wife stale, but I'm comfortable believing it that somehow they once hung up a picture of him, and all the mie scattered, So everybody's hanging up pictures. My kids are laughing and making fun of me, but I don't care. It doesn't hurt to have a picture of It's because some people think it's an old wife stale, but we don't know. But the fact is I Borokasham, Thank goodness, I don't have any mice. Do I tribute to is official. But also that the exterminated spent two days closing up my os. So you know, there's a very famous saying. You know, I'll do the work and you'll do the mas and toy them, you know. So I did the work with the exterminator of silo does the math. And I want to tell you something, Rita. I know a lot of women who had nice husbands, but in every single way, you know, just from their discussions. Okay, this is perfect. I in all my many many years that I knew them and I knew of their husbands, I never I never heard from my friends and things that I knew about my husband. You know, they were very I didn't know anybody who had that kind of quality. You know, you don't like meat, So what do you eat you stay in such good shape? I don't know. Now. I had for lunch my daughter happened to have brought me shoes, hair. Last night you bought me very delicious potato salad and I had a slice half a slice of salmon. So that was fun, you know. And I make myself. I love split pea soup. Oh that sounds good.
Speaker 2: Yes, if I get Most women say you can keep your figure past men and falls.
Speaker 1: Listen. I tried very hard, and I worked very hard, and I was totally obsessed with weight all my life. Really yeah, I tell you why. When I was a young kid, I was never fat cause I had a good figure. I have a long waist and I had a long neck, and but I was a big person. And when I was about twelve years old, my mother took me to the doctor. I wasn't feeling well, and y you know, my mother went out while he was examining me. And then he tells me, says, you know, Giddle, you're such a good looking girl. Why are you fat? So I thought to myself, you know, I didn't care about what he said about the fat, but I think if he called me good looking girl, I must be good. Nobody ever told me I was good looking, you know. And and so I said, so what should I do, Doctor Diamond? I love to eat. He says, okay, says I'll give you something. And imagine, Frieda, you're talking about something that happened probably sixty four sixty five years ago. Mm. And he gave me a prescription for some sort of medication, really yes, to reduce my appetite like adderall. I don't remember what it was. I've no idea. All I know is that it was a controlled drug and you didn't need a license for it, and it cost to two dollars. And I didn't tell my mother. I went to the drug store and I got the medication and I took it and I became so abnormally hyper that I went through them with My mother had no idea why. But he also had a pen pal in England who I was fourteen years old, not even who who. I wrote her about it and she says, get to send me the medication. So I went to the pharmacy and asked for refill. But I imagine I hadn't even used it wasn't even thirty days past. They gave me ser this. They gave me refillm I sent it to London to my cousin. She was my cousin, my pen pal also and her mother called up my mother. Good, my mother's bird's cousin. She says, what did you get to send to my daughter? Ki? So my mother says, I'm not get what you're talking about. Yes, yes, get to send some medication. My daughter's off the wall. So the mystimulants absolutely. And then I had to tell my mother the truth, and my mother said she's gonna call it back to darme that I says, don't you dear, he didn't tell me not to tell you? And I says, the anyway does them? To make a long story short, of cause my mother threw into the coverage that with the end of my story. But up until the day, I always struggled Wah. I always wanted to be skinny, and I was skinny most of my life. But there were two things that I struggled with. But I was skinny, I starved and every time I ate something which I shouldn't have, I had such guilt, Yeah, that I didn't enjoy my food ever. Yeah, and it kept me back from socializing. Yeah, you know, because if I went someplace and there was delicious food, you know. I remember I was a class hostess for Bicker Island party in Pupa for many many years. That is beautiful party the first day sleep hass you know, and I was my class's host and I had to go there and not touch a morsel off And everything was dairy, the most delicious cheesecakes and blints and everything. And so most of the time I looked for an excuse not to go because I knew that self control was gonna be so much difficult to me. And at the end of the day it was felt imagine I missed out and said you good, delicious, you know. So this was a struggle all my life. At one point I s developed terrible, terrible pain my whole body. It's called fibermyalgia. Yeah, it's it's it's it's an order immune disease, and there there's really almost no cure for it. And I was suffering tremendously and the doctor gave me a pregnance on which is a steroid, and of course it made me feel much better. But I started gaining weight and then I developed chronic critigue syndrome. Wow to those an ordinance, and that was also a disaster. And so I was on the spreaduce someone for a year and I gave a lot of weight and I didn't eat more much. It just blew me up terribly and I was miserable. And then one day I decided, you know what, too bad to pain. I'd rather suffer. I don't wanna die in all of that woman, you know. Wow, So I I weaved myself off the present zone. Wyah. And you know I suffered, but the weight didn't go. The weight didn't go. No, I was not able to lose weight on me. Whatever I did, you know, pound here and a pound did there? Was I It was terrible. So then I went on a very very strict diet, and I lost sixty pounds.
Speaker 2: Aw, you're definitely slimmer than you were in your youth.
Speaker 1: I'm not slimmer than I was when I got married. I'll show you a picture of me in my wedding dress, you know, but I'm I'm slimmer now than I I was. I was December when I was very young, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, if I'll show you some pictures of me and my children's wait and I always you know, I was, I looked very good, you know. But those those sixty pounds that I lost, no matter what I did, I could not get rid of it, you know. And so but fine, And then then my husband got sick, and then of course I didn't lose it because we didn't eat normal. I didn't cooclean in the hospital every day, and before we came home, either I went into the big home room and I got myself a a bagel sandwich or I or I or came home and bought something, you know, out So.
Speaker 2: Can I ask why you you have uh a roll later?
Speaker 1: Why you walk with a because a bm it's a ferrari. It's a ferrari. Because when I had chronic fatigue syndrome. I I was sick for about ten years and it was very very sour cream it was and the cream cheese, and it was very very bad. And so I spent I don't remember if it was eight or ten years of my life. I spent sitting on the couch. I got up in the morning to me and my husband would barely manage to get me dressed and drag me down. I had a car taking me to Williamsburg every day to work, and I sat at work. I was working on a computer, and I came home and I sat on a couch like a bump on a log, every single day of the week. I'm telling you, I don't remember how many years it was, but many many years. And I damaged my The core of my body, the muscles and my core of my body were very very damaged. No access. Before that. I spent years and years. We were just discussing with fake and Pearl. We walked every single night. We were the first brisk walkers, and we did it for many many years besides Tish above night and Kipper Night every single night of there, you know, and we were very fit. And then I just stopped moving and then this part of my body, the core of my body, became very very damaged. The muscles completely room and my back is perfect. I went to nurologists and spine specialists. My back is thousand percent perfect, nine hundred. This is completely damaged. This part of the body helps the spine upright. You know, it's just the spine. Since this is not working, I can't do this independently, you see. You know. It's like like you're trying to peel potatoes with one hand, so you're holding you understand, holding the peel and the potato together doesn't work. So after about five steps or fifty seconds, I feel where my chest is pushing up to my lungs. See I'm already starting to get out of breath now. Ah see. So the role later keeps me upright. It doesn't help me walk. All it does is it doesn't let me bend over, bend over, and you know, and that's it, and that's how you get around all.
Speaker 2: Over you're everywhere you're going to Manhattan.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you something. My lab where used you know, where I used to go on Manhattan was on Seventh Avenue and fifty seventh Street, right on the corner there was a train station with an elevator, and so at the corner I got into the elevator. When the weather was nice, I would I would start walking on the corner of Seventh Avenue fifty seventh and I would walk to the next station, and the next station and the next station, And as long as I was able to walk and the weather was nice, I would walk. And I would sometimes walk twenty twenty to twenty four blocks. I remember recently I happened to have been there with you with my roll. Later, of course, only with my roll there I would walk. I would walk, and by each station I said, no, I can go further, and I went from fifty seven seven to ten and seven talk about forty seven blocks STREETA.
Speaker 2: How do people react to you walking everywhere.
Speaker 1: With Well, they look, But I want to tell you something I try very hard. That people sometimes have very sad look poor you know, I look okay, I'm dressed, okay, you know, poor woman walking with this contraption, And the sadder they look, the bigger my smile becomes. By the time we pass each other a wave, it becomes okay. Now what I need is this. I don't remember if it was cotta cheese or not. Okay, we'll do it without. And if you have a problem, you can eat a teaspoon of cotta cheese.
Speaker 2: It's not easy to cook with someone shoving a camera in your face.
Speaker 1: Right, it doesn't bother me. I mean you're not in my way. Doing pretty good, it's looking good. When do we put the cream cheese? Next leap? Then we get another layer of potatoes? No, here, we get another cream cheese, Then we get another layer of potatoes. This is this is mega h this is mega Yeah. This is exactly how much saltier you'll have to give it me on my clean hand, because otherwise it's going to still give me just how about that? Just this much? No, no, no, no, let's way too little. Free Okay, more and more and more. I'm not gonna put the whole thing I need to have it. What about spices. I'm gonna put a little white pepper. Okay. Now what we're gonna do is lift this up. Okay, you see, brilliant kidneys. It was somebody in jail once, very very stupid man and once he says something hurry smart, that has them. How did you know that? He says kidneys.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me take it to the.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm gonna tie myself. I'll do it on my phone. Where is my phone? He here, Yes, yes, yeah, I'm gonna put it on for s for thirty minutes and then I'll check it and see what's going on. Let's sit down. Let's sit down. Well, I'll tell you what I did yesterday. N I wouldn't even people might think that there's something wrong with me. I'll give you an example what I did. There's a beautiful new outdoors mall that opened in Belmont Park in Long Island. It's called Belmont Park Village. And they were working and I'm I I see it advertisery for the last two years, you know, and it's almost completed, and but now it's completely completed. Not all the stores are open. And I was coollishing. He said, I like, I like these, you know, interesting you know, trips or or whatever you wanna call it, e expositions. I went with my friend, paid a lot of money to one Island. He waited first for three hours and we had the time of our life.
Speaker 2: Did you shop anything?
Speaker 1: I bought my solone, very pretty evening bag. I see yeah, sure, pretty pretty pretty. It was very it's a very high end bag. It was reduced by seventy percent. Let me show it for the posterity. This is really pretty. I like it. But you know thet is it's a gorgeous place. It's a village. It's an outdoor village, and and and it's like being in the country two hundred years ago. But everything's brand doing gorgeous. All the cobblestoned you know, walkways and the beautiful little cottage looking houses. Everything was high end than gorgeous. And it was quiet because the middle of the week the weather wasn't great and we had the time of my life. Okay, so you know things that I always come up with something.
Speaker 2: Do you not find that it's a struggle with your like your mobility?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not, absolutely not. Of course I work with my role later. But my feet are perfect freedo, you're not. We walked for three hours in that whole village, you know, to know you know what I even have it?
Speaker 2: I think, I oh, yeah, sure, so as long as you have your.
Speaker 1: Wo yeah you see, these are all high end stores. Massoni Kurt Geiger, coach, Roberto Cavali, La Coste Vi, the Westwood, Longhamp, the North Face, Aquasara, sung Glass, Lululemon. I'd go to the North Face, and yeah, well the north there has a lot of jackets, you know, but you know I have enough jackets anyway. No, but I liked it. I saw it, and I just liked it. I really went to see the place. I wanted to check it out. I completely related. Yeah, yeah, yeah really, And I still have to going to Macy's has the beautiful flower Show, and my daughter went today. She wanted to take me. She wanted me to go in, but I says, no, I'm not giving a procot plee. So that was that. But you know, like I should still go. Of course, I'm telling you, I'm an adventurous person. You know. That's sometime they're do an overnight in the hospital, and you know, I can have a car coming back to Brooklyn. Sometimes they just stay there till ten instead of leaving at seven thirty eighth, And I go to Manhattan. I spend the day in Manhattan, go to a museum, I go to I you know, I go to I go to Brian Park. I sit there and I read. Then they have before the holidays have all these beautiful booths, these artists, you know. And and they have one in Grand Central, they have one Brian Park, and they have one a Union Square East, you know. And I got back. Wow, well my husband, my husband was such a fan. You let me do whatever I want. Is it makes you happy? Says go you ready? I'm ready. Okay, let's see what it looks like. Perfect, gorgeous. Oh gorgeous. I think we have to make it. Chafuni cancel? Okay, how do we get it out? I'll get it out, don't Okay, I'm gonna give you a tree. We made a lot. I have to say good. We can give to everyone on YouTube, so keep I don't give the any don't give them my days because they won't have a drop left. We haven't tasted it yet, though.
Speaker 2: It smells so.
Speaker 1: Good, right, that's what it's supposed to do. Smell good of it. So let's wait over till the cools and you're nice. See I have I even said a very big shopping back for you. Wait a minutes and we'll see what happens. Okay, I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Please, since you've shared so much, go ahead. Do you have any regrets in looking back in your life.
Speaker 1: I have one regret, but it doesn't haunt me. Why doesn't it haunt me? I'm I'm not such a I don't have so much self confidence. I think that you know that a mistake doesn't bother me. I was a very very good mother and a housewife. My kids were immaculately taking care of in every respect. You know. It was a very very functional house, and we had a very good home. You know, the relations you know, the relationship between my housing was very amicable. It was a peaceful house. But I focused too much on my perfectionism instead of spending more time, you know, giving my children quality time as the young children when they were you know. But you know, so when I see now my daughters, you know, they really spent quality time playing with their children, listening to the and I listened, you know. But when I think if I would have invested as much time in my perfectionism and all the craziness, you know, I don't know if they would be different. I have nice, good children. But I think now, you know, what was my what was my need to have everything be so perfect? You know, when I was in well, my house and my and my laundry and my children were dressed immaculately, and and I cooked, you know, every night. There was no shortcuts, never bought out, you know, never went to restaurants. I'm not saying we didn't treat the kids once in a while, but you know, I was very, very domesticated. And also I also was involved a lot in the community. I was involved when my children went to school with a ladies auxiliary, with the school program, with the cater and I went a lot, you know, collecting tadakka for the d shivas and the schools, you know. And I remember I once heard a speech from the tailor at Rabitson and you said, you know, mother's it's very very wonderful when you're doing hest and midfist, but the biggest hess it is that when children come home from school, be home and be patient, and don't run the hospital and don't cook, cook in the bigger colingn rooms, he says, you know. And that came back to haunt me later, you know. And I did a lot of that. I went out at night, you know, to weddings, you know, to collect money for the eshiva, for bigger column. And I was also very involved. I was the oldest daughter in my family. I had an older brother, and there were some issues, you know, among my siblings, and everybody came to me because I was the oldest, almost oldest, and I spent a tremendous amount of time helping my siblings when I should have been there a little more for my children. And you know, that's really my only regret.
Speaker 2: You strike me as the ultimate extrovert. You're like thriving, You're always going to weddings, You're going to things.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I'm not an introverted person by sure, but interesting left. I'm also a very private person to a certain extent. There are times and I don't want to see people for days, or I could live in an island, you know, in that sense. No, I you know, it's very stuper to me to say about myself, but I think I must have had a soft heart because all the things that I did was was you know, because I was. My thought was I'm helping other people. But the tale Revins said, charity in the home, you know. But when I found that, you know, But that's the only regret. But I'm telling you I never missed a pta. I never missed any kind of intervention when my children probab we went all out for my children's schools and my husband, I mean, he was fantastic. I had four boys to get tea sheebas and as you know a little bit of my family, there were the round hole in the square peg, you know, they didn't fit in right here, and it was really a lot of hard work. But my husband was a fab you know, like I feel in hindsight that my husband made up for it in a lot of ways. So that's why they turned out, you know, okay. And but other than that, I was very good to my parents only because I felt sorry for my mother. You know, my mother had canninder eleven children. My mother was also very, very domesticated. She wasn't that one of those strong women, you know, she worked hard, and so I was the very there for her as a child and as a grown up and as an older woman. And so I know that I didn't I didn't tune in enough to my children for selfish reasons, you know, So I did great. No, No, what I'm trying to say that I don't feel guilt in a way that you know, what did I do that I couldn't utilize my time? You know me, you know, I gave the others, you know, and I don't regret that, you know, and and but you know, but when I think now, if I would do it over again, I would do it a little differently.
Speaker 3: All right, Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's right, it's good. It is really good. Yeah. I think one thing next time, when you're going to do it, make the slices a little thiner with the potatoes. I think, yes, you know that you should you should feel that, you know, not the potatoes the main ingredient that you know, the eggs are also, you know, as prominent as the potatoes and the whole thing. This is the first time I have it with a cheese. Yes, you know, it's a different it's a different feeling and taste. My mother put bread crumbs on top soon she took it out of the oven, or when she served it before. And well, that also looks, you know, it looks like a nice finish. I do that when I make you know, a noodle coogle or exactly. That was the idea. That's good. This was the best. And the pummis you know. I did not tell Pearl Baby, really no, because I want I want them to I want proto god in YouTube and combat you.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's not tell them.
Speaker 1: I'm not telling them. Let's not tell them until to.
Speaker 3: Get a rocket crump in surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she said, and you didn't tell me about it. We talk every day, or you didn't tell me about it. It's perfect. Thank you Rocket Group. You don't let anybody do a hold up on Yeah, no, are you kidding? I will? I will buy them as come on, hold on, hold on, okay o, my god, I can not think this was thank you enough. Let me see it absolutely