Speaker 1: The investment environment is really exciting right now. We have capital markets are open, that's a wonderful thing. We have some really interesting structural buyers coming into our space. If you think about it. We have a stable coin bill and that's going to result by our own government's reports, three trillion plus and stable coins are coming into the crypto ecosystem, right. What does that mean if you have trillions of dollars coming in that's non yielding. Well, I personally think it's going to be the token of choice in the developing world. Would you rather have your local currency? Would you rather have dollars? Probably greenbacks? Right.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Uphold, which is a great crypto platform that I've been using since twenty eighteen. Uphold makes it easy to buy, sell, trade cryptocurrencies like bigcoin and all coins. In fact, they have three hundred plus cryptocurrencies on their platform and a carry precious metal such as gold and silver and you can swap between these assets, so it's really unique. Uphold is safe and reliable. I've never had any issues with them, and they are one hundred percent reserved. You can review their transparency report. They don't commingle or lend out your funds now. Uphold recently launch a great product called Uphold Rewards, and it's packed with many benefits. You can earn up to five point twenty five percent on stable coins, get twenty four our early access to new token listings, and unlock exclusive crypto insights. And they support a variety of stable coins such as PYUSD that's PayPal stable coins, Circles, USDC, and USBC. They will be supporting Ripples's upcoming launch of RLUSD. So this is a really great rewards program and if you'd like to learn more, please visit the link in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and we are recording out a Station three in New York's Financial District, and my guest is Chris Perkins, who is the president of coin Fund. Chris, great to have you, Tony.
Speaker 1: Amazing to be back on. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. The market is ripping after Jerome Powell's statements this morning. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: How can you not be? I was literally in Jackson Hole yesterday, was spent the week there, amazing time. It was really amazing conversations with some very senior policy makers. I mean, look, from my perspective, everything's changed, Chris.
Speaker 2: It's kind of surreal. We were talking before the recording like you almost have to pinch yourself.
Speaker 1: Like four years.
Speaker 2: Over the past four years, it was dystoping, it was scary. People are getting lawsuits, and now so many of trad fin institutions are coming into crypto.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of my frustrations is that today even people were nervous, right when you know the phone rings and it's the SEC and was like, what did I do wrong? That's not the way it's supposed to be. The way it's supposed to be is that regulators in the private sector work together. Like we're trying to solve like really hard problems. We're trying to position the US as the innovation and the crypto capital of the world. Right, we have issues around security. Maybe we'll talk about maybe some issues around how do we balance that with customer protections, privacy, national security. These are hard problems and the best way to solve them is to sit down with policy makers and talk, right, And that's exactly what I'm seeing now. But that's normal. That's the way it should be. Right, this should not be exceptional. We're supposed to be engaging and solving problems together, right, And then people are like WHOA. Like the IPO markets, the equity markets, they're open, Like that's the way it should be, right, our public markets, we have the greatest capital markets in the world. They should be open. We shouldn't be as scared and afraid. And so, you know, I feel like we've been gas lit into this feeling that oh my gosh, this is exceptional, not you know, no, this should be the norm. And I just wanted to thank all those people who stepped up to serve. You know, it's not easy to serve, like it's you know, you leave the private sector and you lose a lot of flexibility, wear a suit every day. We have some really amazing people that are trying to make things right, and I'm grateful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to your point, like Hester Purse, Paul at Cher, Paul Atkins, and Mark E. Wada as well, did a complete well change the sec completely. We got roundtables, we have transparency who they're meeting with. I mean, to your point, this is how we should have been, but it was completely different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I saw Atkins a couple of days Ago and chairman Atkins, I should say because I respect the man immensely and he, uh, you know what did he? What did you start off with? On his panel? I'm gonna make IPOs great again because they should.
Speaker 2: Be, right, and Chris isn't amazing speaking IPOs. You have all these crypto companies now going public doing IPOs. It's again surreal but also very exciting. I'm just really curious what the future looks like from an innovation standpoint, Which new companies are going to come in, what new technologies are going to build the much more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the IPO markets are open, and that's a good thing, but I think there's an even bigger thing under the surface that's about to happen right now in the US. Did you know eighty one percent of companies with a one hundred million dollars in revenue they're private, and so normal people have been locked out of that market, right, And guess what where are the most innovative, exciting, fastest growing companies. Where do you make your money? How do you really get rich? You invest in those private early stage companies. But we're not allowing Americans to do it. It's crazy. Eighty one percent right. It's good to hear the chairman. He's saying, listen, it's time for us to unlock these things. And I think the solution here is through what we call Internet capital markets or tokenization. I think they're going to work on a couple of exceptions, like we have a company called Superstate with a program called opening Bell. But really in the United States, there are three ways to take a company public. One is through IPOs, where you go with bankers. We're seeing some of this happen with Circle, right, and this is a good thing because we're making private companies become public via the old fashioned way.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We're also seeing a lot of spack activity in verse takeovers. I think we're going to talk about dat here in a second. But the third way to bring a company public is via a direct listing, and that's where you Coinbas did this a couple of years ago, where you take your shares, your private shares, and you directly list them right without those intermediaries. This is where things get very interesting because if you can come up with a way through tokenization to allow people with access to the Internet, you know, the market sets the price in a direct listing. Guess what our markets are pretty robust. If you look at the last administration under Gensler, there were only two tokens that were that we were known commodities. That was really bitcoin and meme coins. Right. And by the way, I talked about the eighty one percent, what's like the one thing that you could have gotten really early stage if you're just a normal person, that was bitcoin, right, and it made a lot of millionaires because people were able to access that market. Okay, but anyway, let's step back and look at meme coins. Meme coins last year one hundred and forty billion dollar market cap. Do you know what the market do you't know how much money was raised in IPOs last year in twenty four thirty billion? Right? So Trump the Trump token, people hate it, they love it whatever, fifteen billion dollars market cap over thirty six hours on a weekend. So the true power of these blockchains is capital formation because anyone with access to the Internet can buy something. Right. I'm very excited about the future of direct listings where we're able to take companies using tokenization on chain and make them available to the masses earlier stage. That's going to be cool.
Speaker 2: That absolutely makes sense and to your point of it hasn't been fair, right, You had these accreditation laws and the SEC has talked about possibly rolling those back or do they even need to roll it back if it's going to be in a tokenized form and I can buy two tokens if I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you tokenize the security, it's still a security. And so we do have to go and look at like, hey, what are the principles behind these rules, like why do we not allow certain types of people who don't make enough money to access certain markets? Is that equitable and fair or is it not? And by the world, the world has changed. People have a lot more access to information. They have access to CHET, GPT or LM of choice, right, so people retails a lot smarter these days. And so you know, does it really do these rules make sense? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to your point, like as myself who first got into crypto and investing, you know, I didn't know anything. I'm an immigrant kid. My parents don't know. They're just working hard, right, And when I started learning about trading view and how to look at charts and then how do I look at SEC filings? And what is the FED saying? And everything's online. I got more knowledgeable, So why can't I participate? Why do I have to be accredited?
Speaker 1: Totally agree with that, but yeah, I mean I think the the investment environment is really exciting right now. Right, we have capital markets are open, that's a wonderful thing. We have some really interesting structural buyers coming in to our space, if you think about it. We have a stable coin bill and that's going to result. By our own government's reports, three trillion plus in stable coins are coming into the crypto ecosystem. Right. What does that mean if you have trillions of dollars coming in that's non yielding. Well, I personally think it's going to be the token of choice in a developing world. Would you rather have your local currency? Would you rather have dollars? Probably? Greenbacks? Right? And now you can access them for the very first time in a very easy way. But the problem with that is that they are non yielding. They're depreciating assets. So what are people going to do. They're going to go into DeFi, right, and then they're going to go and they're going to find their agents. We have a company called Giza and they have a really cool agent called Arma and this is not investment advice, but they can actually go and optimize that yield, right. And so you have this one structural buyer coming in. Those are the stable coin folks, right, and the hop is going to be DeFi and AI agents to optimize. You have another structural buyer, which are the four one case coming in. Trump made that executive order, so that's new capital coming into the system. And then you have this third innovation that a lot of people didn't see a coming, and those are the dats, the digital asset treasuries, and so against regulatory risking, against that structural buying, against macro we saw you know what Jpal said today, It's a really interesting time to be in the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exciting. Feels like we've crossed the chasm and it's not looking back. This thing is ready to go. You worked at City Bank just last week, I think it was we heard a report at City Bank once to launch your own stable coin, get involved in crypto. What are your thoughts on all these banks now looking to jump in.
Speaker 1: It's pretty funny. I've spoken to some very very senior people at the banks at the operating committee level, and what they'll tell me is pretty similar it's a little bit different per bank, but essentially, hey man, for the last four years, the regulators would come in and say what are you doing in dough and I would say, I'm not doing anything and they would leave me alone. And He's say. Now they come in and they say what are you doing in crypto? And I say and they say, you know, why are you not trying to fix your settlements? Why are you not trying to improve, you know, your tech systems? And they're like, so effectively, they're really trying to catch up. I think it was pretty amusing. You saw the ABA come out against some of the Genius Bill provisions, so like, wait a second, you can still get interest and as they start learning about that, they're like, uh oh, but look, the banks are smart. There's one thing that continues to hold them back though, and that's those are the regulatory capital rules, the bosal rules, so banks have to hold capital based on their behaviors, and the the BIS still requires them to hold a lot of capital, so it's still kind of holding them back. So that has to get solved for them to really participate. It's a long story, but watch the Basal rules and you can go to BIS and they continue to indict, and they hate stable coins and they hate crypto. They're gonna have to either figure it out or be left behind. But that's holding the banks back. But generally speaking, all the banks you know, are now moving. The other thing that they' struggled with over overtime is talent. Right, so when bull markets come, people as they start learning about the opportunity in the space, like wait a second, I can do go into aving. Wow, this is so cool, they tend to jump native pretty quick, but you don't see too many native people jumping back, so they're gonna have to really figure out talent. I know there's a lot of talent challenges across the traditional finance.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious what the pie looks like when you slice it. Maybe by twenty thirty, right, will banks be offering crypto, custody, trading, and access to all these things. And maybe it's more for the boomers and the generation after, but for the younger folks, maybe they're just doing it in a robbinhood or their apps.
Speaker 1: Man, it's really hard. I'm a big believer in convergence, and so you know, let's just look at the dats, right, the digitalistic treasuries. So we spent all this time talking about tokenization of real world assets. Right. That's where you take something and you turn it into a token, right, and then once it's a token, it like runs around in crypto land and you know, you can you know how it works there, send them to defile whatever. Now all of a sudden, we have these dats that pop up, and what we're doing is we're taking crypto native tokens and we're turning them into securities. Right. Securities used to be a death sentence under Gensler. Now it's not. Now it's actually really exciting because as a security you can navigate all the very scalable enterprise ready infrastructure, prime brokerages, margin lending, all this stuff. Right, And so as we see the world folk going forward, Look, people are asking me all the time these dats, is it a bubble? Is it this you know? Or is it is it here? Are they here to stay? My answer is usually like yeah, because look there's a little bit of there's a lot of hype right now. But at the same time, if you're a major foundation, it makes sense to have that foundation going forward, and also that DAT because now you can avail yourself of all that traditional infrastructure and capital markets that really make our country great, very scalable. Right, So, so how did the banks end up somewhere in between? I mean, they can service a lot of the dats today, it's just plug and play. A lot of the traditional players can enter the dats, and for some folks entering through the traditional window is going to make sense, you know. But for others, you know who, you know, like my kid who's trying to figure out how to open a bank account, but and then he open to phantom all and goes crazy, like maybe that's more natural for them. But in the end, these worlds are going to converge and it's going to be really really interesting. And by the way, there's gonna be a basis, right, There's gonna be trading opportunities, you know. Can you trade an ETF against a DAT or a future like I think the future is is like one common UI where you have your equities, you have your tokenized products, you have everything all in one place. They all have slightly different economics and things going on, and you can trade them against each other with the.
Speaker 2: Digital acid treasury companies. Are there any risks that you see outside of uh mismanagement that happens in every industry, every company, right, doesn't matter if it's cryptoi lated or not. And related to the bubble conversation, you know, are somebody spokes raising too much debt? I don't have a problem if a company says we're taking twenty percent of our cash and our balance, you know, and buying some bitcoin or ether or whatever. But if I go raise billions of dollars to buy that asset, does that open up a new level risk?
Speaker 1: I think that's come with incredible opportunity and also incredible and not incredible, but they also have risk. Let's let's talk about some of those scenarios. So I talked about the opportunity, you know, having that rapper that allows you to access those capital markets, collateral you know, you know, you can leverage all these things you can do with any other equity. That's the opportunity set, and it's a very scalable opportunities set to access capital markets. What's the risk? The risk is, Like, dude, I was in futures, right, I remember when oil the price of oil went negative on futures, right, Like, weird stuff happens, Bad things happen. The market is the market. And like in my career, I've always you always end up in the tail one way or the other. And so could you have a negative m NAV which is a multiple to NAV. Yes, it's happening, It's happened, it will continue to happen. A good management team will be able to navigate those instances, right, And so as you start thinking, and I'm again not investment advice, but if you start thinking about underwriting one of these investments, what do you which would you consider? Well, you got to look at the management team. You got to look at the fundamentals of the underlying token, right, you have to look at their ability to interface with those Do they have the expertise you know, not only the treasury operation side, you know when to issue equity, when to hit the ATM, when to you know, issue converts or whatever else. They have to have that expertise. They also have to have amazing investor relations. So there's many many elements where could things go wrong. Well, if they don't have you know, sufficient capital put aside to help support the m NAV, you know, should it drop into a negative situation, do they not have the right controls? You know, is there an issue with you know, security or slashing. You know, do they have insurance? But as these things mature, you're going to see or do they take too much debt? Right, and then the token crashes. That's why you have to really understand imagining. Now here's the good thing. These are public securities, so they have like like it or not, some people hate sucks. They have regular you know reporting, you know where you where, they have disclosures, they have all those things that every equity needs to have. So you know, if you're a normal person, you can read it or you can load it up into chat GPT and see what it says. But but for sophisticated investors, they're gonna be able to look at how the company is being run, just like any other security and this is some of the beautiful this is one of the beautiful things of that rapper.
Speaker 2: In addition, do you want to also look at if these companies who have the normal business operation where they're generating revenue as a real business and not just we're just gonna buy crypto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so happy that that you made that point. There's a couple of things to look at. Do they have an operating business, does it contribute or not, but even within the asset itself. This is what gets me really excited and us talking to some analysts today about this who now are looking at and researching the equities. Take a take an asset like ethereum. Right, Yes, we've seen Michael Sailors prove that dats can work, you know, through through various treasury operations and he's been able to drive a really superior MNAV. So good good on him. But bitcoin doesn't natively yield. Ether does. And so one of the things that we built at coin fine, which we built something called CAESAR, which is the compost ethereum ether staking rate. It's essentially the risk free rate of ether ethereum. And so essentially that serves as a beta. Now if you're in ethereum, because that's going to be one of the natural drivers of your m NAV because you have eth and now you have this real yield round three percent or whatever. That's just that's table stakes because if you took that eth and you staked it, you should make at least this SASER rate. Right now, what we're looking out for how do they outperform that rate? Right And and again the higher yielding asset the higher you can yield, the more it contributes to the m NAV because it's going to generate additional profit, additional yield and profitability over that that that that asset. So this is where things get really interesting as the sophisticated folks come in to manage treasury apps not only on the equity issuance, but also on the yield, the yield side of things. Do they know how to use defive, do they know how to use you know, staking restaking, and you know, do they deploy insurance? Do they ensure the yield? You know, we you know, we were actually seeing for the first time not only insurance on slashing but also yield itself. And so as you start entering into this world of yield, there's a lot of opportunity, but there's also risks. Anytime something is yielding there that you know, usually there's some kind of risk associated. So you need to make sure you're able to manage slashing risk, you're able to manage lost yield. And we're already seeing products coming out in the insurance from that. Do that and then expertise, and you know, there's other types of risk as you enter into DeFi. You know, hacking and things of that sort of smart contract risk. This is where things get really interesting. We've got a number of different you know, token projects out there now. Their ability to drive that yield, in addition to having that knowledge of treasure operations is going to be really interesting to watch. That's how they're going to differentiate.
Speaker 2: Are is coin fun assisting any of these companies are working with any of them?
Speaker 1: Look, we've been in the space for a long time and we work with a ton of projects. We've been highly involved in this space. We have some some real expertise. One of the cool things about our background is that many of us come from traditional backgrounds. My background was largely in the futures in derivive space. My partner Seth you know, he spent eighteen years underwriting equities and so as you see, and that was always our thesis. It was one of convergence, and so we wanted to bring the best of the old with the best of the new. And so as we're starting to see new forms of derivatives evolved, I'm like, okay, that makes sense, or you know this new type of equity of dat you know, we're able to say, well, okay, let's look at it through an equity lens now, because we have we have done underlying expertise and so we've been we've been very, very active in the space.
Speaker 2: How long do you think this trend continues? Is there a point of where these assets become less wolatile because in more liquidity comes in. Is it a ten year lifespan or more than that?
Speaker 1: So markets go through cycles. I don't think we've seen the top of this cycle yet. Personally for the dats, I think we're still starting to see some amazing projects coming online, and I think as we get into into the fall, you'll see a number of really interesting, innovative new products and that's going to be you know, that'll track additional capital flows. And remember this is all against the backdrop of regulatorid D risking, so a lot of institutions they're still getting their act together to say, okay, now I can do it. How can what's my business model? So I still think we're looking pretty good. But markets are cyclical, right, they go up, they go down. I think in the long term, as I mentioned, I think these dats are going to be a permanent part of market structure, right where you're going to have a foundation, and you're going to have a DAT maybe if you have if you're a big project like Bitcoin or theem you'll have a few of these things. But again, the data is that interface to the traditional side, right. The data is where you're using that token exposure, you know, to be cross margined against something else from another equity that's somewhat correlated. Right. So this is going to be a permanent part of market structure, I believe, and it's going to have a pivotal role. I was talking to a founder of one of the top projects in crypto, and you know, he was really struggling with the DAT. He's like, I don't you know, I don't I don't know if this makes sense. Da da da da. And after a long conversation I tried to explain, you know, he's like, do I support one of these guys as a foundation or not? I don't know why I want to do it. But it's really important to recognize that this is a new important part of market structure that provides structural buying potentially and also a really important interface with the very scaled world of traditional finance.
Speaker 2: And as you mentioned, the DeFi component where they can do a lot more with the asset and continue to earn.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk about this a little bit. So we talked about tokenization. You take a real world asset and you make it a token, right, and now we're talking about the inverse, which is you take a cryptoonative asset and you make it a security. Right. Pretty soon we're going to go another hop and we're going to take a cryptonative token, we're going to make it a security, and then we're going to tokenize the dat. Right. I don't know if we're going to make a security as to that, but but why wouldn't we have a tokenized dat? Yeah, because now we can trade that against other tokenized products as well, you know, bitcoin against the dat. Now you have a natural delta. If there's a postive veendmap, you can start trading basis in the same tokenized world. Right. So again, what does this tell me? It's this massive period of convergence made possible through some of the regulatory progress we're made. And there's so much opportunity out there. You know, we haven't even got to tokenize dats yet, right, but pretty soon you're gonna be able to trade them against each other, against against the native asset.
Speaker 2: To your point, a lot of the crypto platforms are now launching tokenized stocks looking to go twenty four to seven. You know, what does that world look like with twenty four seven markets? Is it? To your point of convergence, we have AI agents that can help us monitor our portfolio while we're sleeping.
Speaker 1: I mean it has to go to twenty four to seven. And if you look at some of the the I'll tell you I think the biggest systemic risk that we have right now is that we have one market that's that's moving twenty four to seven rebalancing riskus rebalancing, and you have one that's taking time off at night and on the weekends and during holidays when there's a stress. One system is going to quickly rebalance, the other ones not, and that system's going to die. So that that is not a good space to be in. You know, that's one thing that we definitely have to address.
Speaker 2: Chris, do you think stock markets will still exist twenty years Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. I'm very excited about this. So if you look at tokened equities right now, like I talked about the way that we're going to be able to use them for new capital formation. I'm really excited about direct listings as well, but I'm actually most excited about private equity tokenization. All right, So Robinhood did something around this with open AI. You know, love those guys. I know vlat was just on here and it was executed a little bit clunky, but I thought it was genius. And so like, let's talk a little bit about what that meant. As I mentioned, you know, eighty one percent of companies are a private that's not cool. And then you have this thing called tokenization where anyone with access to the Internet can get access to these things. What I think is going to happen in the future is that you're going to have exciting companies and rather than someone just like acquire some of their private equity and try to tokenize it, they're going to work with a provider and and the regulators. You know, I think there's some regulatory work to do as well. But what if you're you ever see one of those like anglerfish down in like the great depths of the ocean. It has a little like it has like the little light like attract people, then it bites it. I think that you're going to see companies work with through tokenization to start issuing out a little bit of private equity to see how the market responds on crypto rails right, and to the extent that it's received well and there's they can capture a pretty liquid price pretty quick, it'll give them an indication is when to take their company public. So I think that's going to be something on the horizon. I'm excited to see more. We need to find a way to get private equity and early stage investments to the masses with risk. We need to disclose those risks and then people need to be able to underwrite, do their research and have access. But I think these days of telling people that they're not allowed to participate in the most innovative companies is coming to a quick end, and I think a guy like Chairman Atkins is going to do that.
Speaker 2: So with that access being opened up, are you envisioning it's a global movement because right now certain people in Africa or India they can't access the neu K stock exchange. But if you tokenize it, I could be in anywhere. To your point, having a smartphone with internet connection, boom, I can buy a five tokens of a tokenize private equity.
Speaker 1: It's already happening. It's already happening, and you're just going to see more and more of it. I think that's a great thing for capital markets. Why wouldn't we want our capital markets to be global Why the SEC's job is one of their jobs is capital formation and to protect investors. Clearly they're focused on the US, but like why, I mean, look at stable coins. This is the best thing that ever happened to the dollar, right, there's almost an insatiable demand for it overseas and a developing world. Why wouldn't we want to take this step after stable coins and let our companies, let let anyone in the world with access to the internet access to the innovation that's happening on shore via our companies. I think it's a very good thing. Now, look, there's some national security things that we have to be monitoring, and there's ways to do that, and we could talk about it, but I think it's a good thing to globalized markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, one of the items in the thesis of opening up blockchain rails and stable coins was to bring financial services to people who don't have access to banks, and they'd be living in poverty and now this could help them change their lives.
Speaker 1: I got so annoyed the BIS, the Bank for International Settlements, they published this paper and they said stable coins are going to undermine local monetary policy and the right like it is going to undermine local monetary policy, and they said, you know in some places like Zimbabwe and Venezuela, And I was like, yeah, and that's probably a good thing, I think for the people. You know, I've lived in some pretty rough places in my life, and like, yeah, you know, it's not a bad thing to keep despotic government honest. Right by providing a dollar alternative and giving people access to financial services for the very first time on their phone, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Good thing. Yeah, It's like the local center bank is like, we want to keep printing and debasing, how dare you bring in your stronger.
Speaker 1: Currency, right, And look, we have a problem with the basement in this country as well. Maybe that's why we're having strategic pitcoin reserve. And there's an answer for that with like you know, some crypto assets and commodities. But yeah, I think it's a good thing to have people being able to access the dollar Chris, A.
Speaker 2: Hard question, because with the emergence of this technology and all the benefits, maybe fifty years from now or one hundred, we're gone. Do you think this technology can be used to fix the FIAT system or change it to a brand new system where there's not this debasement.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man. It feels like when I just had to chat with Arthur Hayes, and when a government has a printer press, it's really hard not to use it. So I think that's the underlying thesis of you know what we saw with bitcoin and its white paper, so that I think maybe the dollar keeps local currencies honest, and maybe crypto keeps the dollar honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Yeah, you know, I have a seven year old, so I'm curious what her life is going to be like in the new world with all these technologies. But also will they continue to debase or will they somehow use blockchain and AI to curb this debasement.
Speaker 1: I think then keep going, keep going. I'd be surprised if it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Sure now with I want to jump back to banks offering crypto, So do you envision that, Chris, I don't know. Who you banquet, but your local bank manager may call you up and say, hey, we now offer the ability to access bitcoin, eth and so on and so forth, will custody for you and could you also get access to certain stable coins to earn yield?
Speaker 1: Probably, yeah, I think, I mean, I know many of the banks are already working on their custody solutions now. They're starting pretty slow with things like bitcoin and eh, they'll continue to go down. I think the curve. It's gonna be interesting to see how they compete with the robin hoods and and the coinbases. Like you know, you're seeing a lot of convergence now as well, where you know, coinbase, you know has an account you can use that for almost a bank account. They're competing with the banks direct. You know, do people start you know, it's not banking per se, but it's it's using those same services. So I do think that there's going to be an interesting battle and interesting partnerships that will be forged. Like you're gonna hear announcements about big partnerships because like a lot of these banks, they don't have it's hard to get the talent, so it's either build or buy, and so in many cases, partnerships are going to be forged. Be on the lookout for some of those in the near future, because that's the only way that they can kind of leap frog the competition is through big partnerships M and A as well. M and A is tougher for banks because a lot of reglatory reason to prevent them from time to time. But so you'll see some building, I think, a lot of buying and a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of M and A. I just had a Coinbas's chief business officer on the pod and they just announced their partnership with JP Morgan and PNC Bank. Of course it's happening, and of course I would love to be a fly in the wall. They see what Jamie Diamond is saying.
Speaker 1: I think Jamie demon likes to make money. He's good at it.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's been Crypto's final boss, if you want to call it that, and he's capitulated bigcoin's final boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So like even Searan Brown, one of the senators who just hated crypto last cycle now yesterday, said that it's part of the economy. Like, oh interesting.
Speaker 2: I used to call him the top general in Elizabeth Warren's anti crypto army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said something like not negative yesterday and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, huh, oh man, how things have changed. I would love to get your thoughts on the market. Obviously, we're recording this. On August twenty second, Jome Powell made his speech at Jackson Hall and the markets are ripping. So do you think the top is going to be Q four or Q one twenty six non Financial Advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to call the top. What gets me excited is the fact that you have real regulatory de risking, right. Everything is becoming normalized. You have the three trillion dollars in stable coins coming in, you have four toh one K money coming in, you have that buying coming in. And that's even before the normal sources of the capital like private markets, all those allocators. You know, in the last cycle, people were trying to figure it out. Some of them made it, some of them got burned. But now as it's normalizing, So it used to be people would have a lot of reputational risk for being in the space. Industors are always comfortable taking market risk. That's what they get paid to do. They do incredible analysis. Sometimes they get it right. Sometimes they get it wrong, but that's their expertise. They don't get paid for reputational risk. And that reputational risk manifested itself in reglatory risk class cycle. Now that regulatory risk is gone, there's still some elements of reputational risk. I would argue maybe around security, like you do this amazing investment, you get hacked, but by and large the reputational risk. Now, there's reputational risk if you don't have a crypto strategy. So you see all that structural buying coming in as well. So I've remained bullish. And then of course we're seeing the FED now you know, projected to lower rates, so so macro seems to be lining up. Then you have then you have that that the normalization and the buying. Like I'm pretty bullish, and I think it's hard not to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think all the signs that the stars are lining up here for us, the four one k item. I don't know if you can give insight into this, but I know Trump signed the executive order. Do you think there's some sort of lag? What do you think the lead time?
Speaker 1: There's always a lag, So you know, again you're seeing the d risking happen. Trump hasn't been in office that long this time. Institutions like they move like aircraft carriers, right, So they were like going away from crypto. Now like okay, it's back. So it just takes time to pivot and they have to go through all different types of governance processes where they you know, they have regulators. So you're going to see a ton of latency. And that's why that that that the structural buying and the moving into our space is still still building because they have to put you know, let alone just wanting to do it, the infrastructure. They have to find custodia relationships, they have to find middleware reporting to their end users they have there's then they have to do all that within the context of whatever regultory, RAPPID, then their r A whatever. This stuff does not happen overnight. It takes months, maybe a couple of years to be fully loaded. So we're still building. They're not here. There's there's a lot more to h it's not mature yet.
Speaker 2: Coin fun what's the latest and that you can share as far as investments companies coins projects, you're investing for sure.
Speaker 1: So we have three major stream rategies. We have a pre seed seed strategy where we're looking for early stage founders. We have a Series A and B strategy where we're looking here, these companies have mature beyond seed stage. They have business models, teams, a little bit of product market fit. So we invest in the most exciting companies at that level, all across crypto of course. And then we have a liquid strategy that is looking to take advantage of looking to invest in the most exciting token projects and the most exciting now equity projects, you know, as as you look at debts and everything else. So what excites us, man, There's there's a million different themes. We've been very very active. My partner Jake is very early on the intersection of AI and crypto. That's been something that's been been core to our thesis since twenty one. Like we're really early there. But look, we get excited across the board. Every lately, we've been doing deals in the consumer space, We'll do DeFi, c FI infrastructure. Still gets as excited as we're starting to create that foundation, you know, and then I think there's other big themes that I get excited about. I like to you know, kind of operate on the intersection, always looking for projects that are you know, I think, I think fixed income has a long way to go. Derivatives markets. One of the biggest gaps in our in our in crypto markets right now are derivatives. Like, yes, we have purps, but we're lacking like listed derivatives. So I think that's an interesting space to be as fixed income starts crystallizing. Because institutions love fixed income, we don't really have like massive fixed income markets and crypto we have purps, but there's a lot of other fixed income elements that I think. Look, I talked about this often. Staking is a rate, and so we're going to start seeing more structured products around those rates. Really exciting for me. But yeah, we're we're super active. We're out there meeting founders every single day looking for the best projects across payments, you name it. And here's another thing people don't realize. So if you look at the world, I think there's like thirty million developers in space. I talked about the capital that's now coming back into the system, but when you think about it from a founder's perspective, we think there's like thirty million or so developers a lot of them stayed out of crypto because it was scary. They don't want to go to jail if you develop or whatever. Now that regulatory de risking is happening and the markets are coming back, they're like, wait a second, maybe I can join this crypto space as well. So you're gonna see talent coming back, big deal. And you know, don't hold me to it. But I think there's only like ten thousand full time developers in crypto right now against thirty million in the world. So let's say I'm off by a factor of whatever. There's so much opportunity for these new developers to come into our space and then the magic happens. Capital new founders like innovation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well said yeah, and now to your point of to do risking, they don't have to look over your shoulder. You're gonna get a wells noticed or sued by the SEC.
Speaker 1: Get Thorne in jail. Yeah seriously, yah, Storm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just crazy that situation. Chris, This is a hard question, but I want to get your thoughts on it because I've heard some other people talk about this. With the emergence of AI and it's just getting even more smarter and smarter and things are going to get automated with AI agents and much more. Will funds exist in ten to fifteen years one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So I think agents are going to have a huge role. I think AI is going to have a material role. But you're still, like I said earlier, stable coins to defy to agents. Agents are amazing and optimizing, they're so good, but we also have to make sure that we work closely with those agents. And I think at the end of the day, well, there be certain eugenic strategies for sure, but I still think there's a role for humans and how to correctly deploy those agents for the right outcomes that we're seeking. And so, yeah, is are there going to be Are people still going to be in the space. For sure, They're gonna be working a lot closer with these agents for the right outcomes, maybe toggling their waitings or you know changing, you know, toggling and tweaking them, pointing them in different directions optimize, like helping them to optimize even further.
Speaker 2: It's funny I heard someone the other day talk about in the world of AI agents, we're going to be more directors where we're directing all these agents who do different things, almost like people management a bit, you're running a division, but it's instead it's AI agents running twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe that's the case. Yeah, you're orchestrating them finding out, you know. But man, they're amazing in optimization, almost too good.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to today. I'm exploring this to build my own AI agent where I can even sell it, where they can help you navigate the market in certain ways. And you know, it's going to be a bit tailored and customized to my thesis and point of view. But that is something I'm exploring. I should pus shouldn't say it's going to steal my idea, but yeah, and then you know, on the other side in token you have robots. And I've been talking to a lot of robot developers and people who are in this industry. And guess what they're talking about. Robots are gonna use stable coins and blockchain because they're not gonna use cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We're close with a company it's called geodet, and what they do is they provide hyper accurate location. Because that's the other leg at the stool when you're thinking about robotics. These robots have to know exactly where they are in a hyper precise way. And so yeah, state they're going to use that for directional control, they'll use stable coins to pay, and yeah, it's going to be a really fascinating, fascinating world.
Speaker 2: The company's open mind. Not not to promote them or anything, but what really blew my mind the founder was telling me that each morning the robot, when it goes up and running, it downloads its constitution from any theorem smart contract to abide by the rules that is set. And it's I think a Dow is setting the rules or something which is insane. That's man, the future is gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We didn't even get the quantum yet. Yeah. So do you think quantum is a threat? I think it's I think it's an opportunity, to be honest with you. Yeah, so you'll see next level cryptography use quantum. Yeah, one hundred percent. Yeah. I'm not an expert in the field, but it's it's definitely. I mean, I follow it. We're seeing more and more progress, more patents every single day. It's something that that's moving quicker than I think some people realize.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the potential approval of other all coin et aps like Solana XRP and all the h bar and staking in.
Speaker 1: I think Gito was just Judo Soul just came out from Vanek today. I don't know if that was approved or not. Look, it's gonna be so fascinating with ETFs ETFs that m NAV is essentially one, and so you're gonna see ETFs play a role, but dat's play another role, and they're not Oh they're competing with each other, well kind of sort of, but they're kind of different products. So if you look at eth as an example, it's been really hard to figure out a steak to ETHTF. The reason why is because ETFs, by the way they're constructed, is they have daily liquidity, right, and so the problem that you have if you take a bunch of ETH and you stake it and then you have people redeem, they have to wait for the unbonding window to occur. Okay, so it's hard to redeem if you're bonded up. And we've seen ethereum like today, the unbonding windows is extended pretty materially, right, So if you have to wait thirteen days to get your eth out and you have daily liquidity, that's a real problem, right, and so the solution to that would be you have to hold reserves, but are those reserves yielding? You know, can you hold them in a liquid staking token where you're still getting that yield or not. It's just complex. I think it will be solved for but it's just going to take time to figure out. Or you have to when you reserve liquidity, then you have to bring your yield down from total return to partial return because it costs money to reserve that liquidity. So again, I'm pretty sure it's going to get sorted. There's some really smart people working on the challenge. But the Canadians at first like, yeah, you can stake it, but fifty percent is that the right number? Is it the wrong number? I got no idea because I don't. It's also kind of wrong way risk because if something bad happens and everyone's trying to pull it out, the window extends. So anyway, that's a You're going to see more and more ETFs. Why because we're going to know what's a commodity and what's not. And that's one of the things that the SEC wants to deliver us. So very excited about that. On the ETF front. You're also going to see that on futures. People ignore the futures market. The futures market bring it all together, super important. Why futures are regulated by the CFTC. So if you know something's not a security, you can launch a future. Genzo suppressed that because if an exchange tried to launch a future, they'd be like, not so fast, that's a security, stop it, right, So that's why we could. We couldn't even launch like Slana under his reign, right, okay, So why are future is so important? If you look at ETFs, why didn't we launch did? What did he require before we launched the BITCOINYTF He required futures because he wanted that surveillance, right, So futures help liquid futures market help with that type of surveillance. What else did they do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Risk management? They help you hedge. For a lot of people, what they want to do is it's the carry trade. They buy the spot and they sell the future, okay, And what that allows you to do is crystallize yield. And that yield if you're in what we call contango, where the futures price is higher than the spot price, you can sell the future you buy Spot, you buy a Spot Spot price goes up. Guess who likes these trades? Every single foundation all of crypto futures bring it all together. And what I'm mostly said, one of the things in addition to watching ETFs grow is having the futures industry grow with it. This is the most exciting part of our growth. And I talk about having some issues and derivatives because you can hedge, you can drive yield strategies, and you can get that surveillance for even more ETFs. So it's an area. You know, we have a company that's like literally focusing on that NonStop and helping drive more futures products.
Speaker 2: That's great insight. And I just spoke this week to one of the folks at Laido and they're trying to work with the ETF for your sures to solve exactly what you're.
Speaker 1: Talking hundred percent. Yeah. I had brunch with them as well recently, a great, great, great meeting, and yeah, how do they And what they're trying to do is make sure that they have enough modularity to make sure that steaked eth is accessible to institutions, and that's one of the things that they're working on as well.
Speaker 2: Dumb question. Does it make sense to have specifically a ETH ETF and then eat staking ETF where you can stake one DC disclosure is hey, man, you want your ETH, you gotta wait.
Speaker 1: You can't do that for an ETF is you have to have deab liquidity. But will you have spot in total return? I think so, and you can trade the two against each other. But I think all things being equal, and most people want total return. By the way, same thing for like, why do we have eight futures? Why don't we have eight total return futures? So watch that space because I think it's coming interesting.
Speaker 2: So you think there's gonna be a lot of innovation on the ETF front for these assets.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah, you're gonna see. Yeah, because now we're allowing innovation. We're leading with innovation, which again starting in the beginning, that's the way it should be normally. Will things break, Yeah, they're gonna break, and that's okay. Like we just have to be principles based in our customer protections. We need to let people fail. And if the price goes down, it's not illegal. It happens sometimes to your own research underwrite it.
Speaker 2: So on that note, you mentioned earlier. Markets are cyclical, right, and then obviously we're talking about the FED, their macro impacts and so forth. Do you envision there's going to be a deep bear market like we've seen in the past seventy eighty percent or maybe less because you have the et aps, you have digital acid treasury companies, so more liquidity holding the base up, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, you're good. You always have cycles. I think more liquid markets tend to weather those cycles better. But you know, like I said earlier, my whole career, I always end up in the tail somehow. I was a Lehman Brothers man. Yeah, Like, there's no way in hell I thought that that, you know, one of the titans of Wall Street, Levan Brothers, was going to go down, and then like eighteen months later, there I was carrying out my box. So you know, I'm never going to make any prediction to say, you know, it's not going down X or y, because I've been there and done that over and over again. So markets are cyclical, But I think when you step back, it's hard not to be bullish about the crypto space. Like I'm super bullish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I've been talking about it I hope it doesn't happen, but I'm I was thinking, look, has crypto experienced its dot com bubble burst yet? And I don't know if it has. Even though we've had beer markets, we had FTX, but we haven't had legislation that gave clarity to allow more to come in. And again it's cyclical. It's not an indictment of crypto. I'm bullish on crypto blockchain, but just humans are respeculat different. We're crazy sometimes and we do dumb shit.
Speaker 1: There's always exuberants, always enters the market at some point, and I think the smart, smart folks will recognize that know where to take profits.
Speaker 2: Another macro related question is would be the last one here? It's twenty forty are we not using cash and we're using our payments our power by stable coins, we're able to tokenize our artwork in our house and do a lot more with DeFi and create new revenue earning options and things like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's going to be a relatively similar experience to today in a way where you know, you don't think about the back end. You know, you just pay via whatever way is easiest, like you know, do you tap your phone at that point or do you just look at it and here and your neural you know whatever. But but but the point is is that a lot of this we get so focused on, like the in the back end, and we get tribal around Solana versus ethereum versus suy an avalanche. No, it's gonna care right, You're just gonna pay. It's gonna be powered by by crypto rails in the background. It's gonna be cheap, fast and easy, easier than ever because you know, we see a million payments company. They're always improving on something, something something. But yeah, it's just gonna be seamless and easier.
Speaker 2: To your point, we in the crypto space, we get caught in our own bubble, in our own world. But you go out talk to the average Joe and Jane. It just needs to work.
Speaker 1: Just give him a cup of coffee and let me tap my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, nah, yeah, we overthink it sometimes, but I guess we're on the we're the early adopters. We're looking for new innovations and things. So it makes sense. So Chris, yesterday I saw a X you and Chris John Carlo endorse a bill that was issued to fight cybersecurity threats along with crypto. Tell us about that what that bill is about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the bill just came out. I'm still going through it, but I've been Chris and I have been pushing for this for so long. So we have this incredible period of innovation and it's exciting. We have about three trillion, like I said, coming into the system via stable coins, We have things being tokenized. The current crypto market caps around four trillion dollars. That's going north. I don't know where it's going to settle, but we have a problem, and one of the problems that I think in our industry right now is that of security. We have certain state sponsored actors that have been ravaging and hacking like the bibit hack. You know, we've had billions being hacked. And if there's one thing that's going to derail or momentum, it's that security threat. Like people don't get people get paid to invest, they don't get paid to have their assets hacked after they made a great investment. Right So to me, this is one of the biggest threats facing our industry. It keeps me awake at night and it's a tough problem. Now, look at stable coins for example, they have this capability we need to call freezencies. Right. A lot of crypto libertarians hate it, but it's the fact of life where you're holding these assets if they get into a bad guy's hands. And I always say bad guy, not bad girl, because there's some both, but like you know what I mean, what you can do is you can take those assets and seize them, provided you go through due diligence and you go through a judge or whatever else. It works, but it takes a long time. The problem with the environment that we exist in today is everything is moving fast. By the way, this threat is going to get worse as well, because we talk about AI and and agents and deep fakes hacking is going to get worse. Their ability to get out of dodge and turn it into bitcoin and disappear is going to get better. So it's a pretty dangerous place out there. And I don't want to like frighten away users because like this is there's also opportunity. But what makes me excited about this bill, and we've been pushing about this for a long time, we think the solution to this current real urgent problem actually lies in the past, and if you look at our history during the Revolutionary War, we had no money and we ended up winning the Revolutionary or that the textbooks will sow we want them in the Battle of Yorktown. But one of the driving true drive factors is that we ravaged the British economy because what we did was we said, hey, we're going to authorize these private citizens, we call them privateers, take your ship out in Massachusetts and go ravage the British economy. And we did, and it hurt them badly, and that's one of the reasons why the war ended. They came back in eighteen twelve for the War of eighteen twelve. Madison commissioned five hundred privateers to go after the British and I think that helped nd hostilities as well. Our founding fathers loved this concept so much, and it's called the letter of mark, where you issue this letter to an institution or an individual. They actually put it in our Constitution. It's in Article one and it gives the Congress authorization to issue letters of mark and reprisal. So the point here is that and by the way, the Europeans thought it was a dirty business. They got out of it in the nineteenth century, but we love it so much. It's in our constitution. It's not going anywhere, just like our guns, I guess, but we think it's time to resurrect this practice. What better way to fight back against hackers and state actors who are maneuvering against our companies or startups than to commission private citizens and say, hey, listen, here's your letter, go for it. Now here's the killer policy use case. Back in history, they would have these things called prize courts, and oftentimes the people with those letters would have to post bond. Today we call that staking where if you misbehave you get slashed. But once you seize those assets back, the private tier gets to keep a lot of them. You give some back to the victim, and you give some to the house. Guess what, that's your way to fund the strategic Bitcoin Reserve or the strategic Crypto arsenal at no cost to the taxpayer. So that's the vision. This bill contemplates a version of that that thinks about, hey, how do we leverage letters of mark based on our history to go after cyber criminals. But I do think that the private sector are the only folks who are sophisticated enough to be out there on front, to move fast enough to stop these hacks. You know, even before the care here's the last killer thing. During the terrible regulatory climate and law fair the last four years, we lost many founders overseas. But what if if we had these rules in place and this incredible security apparatus in place. I think it would attract them back because people will know, do not mess with Americans, you know, or we're going to let or we're going to set loose our privateers. So are they like go hack somebody.
Speaker 2: Else cyber bounty hunters kind of.
Speaker 1: Not really bounty hunters per se, but they're they're privateers. They're they're able to violate certain laws. So like I published a paper on this, and people, I want to do this, but you can't. I can't trade with you if you're in North Korean, right, I violate at Oh fact, we need to be able to commission these people to go interface with our adversaries, you know, and to use various techniques and procedures to get that money back without violating legacy sanctions or all fat laws.
Speaker 2: I think that that is very much needed.
Speaker 1: I think so I can't think of anything else that's tax payer neutral helps fund the reserve. So I hope that something happens here. I think it's a really exciting way to solve for a big challenge. Like I said, like you know, when you sit down with policymakers, you try to really solve really difficult problems. I think this is one of the ways you can do it. And yeah, are there risks, for sure, other ways to mitigate those risks through bonds and things of that sort. Yeah, so let's let's let's get it done.
Speaker 2: And it absolutely makes sense. I've been thinking about this, noodling on it like China did just announced you're going to push their digital you want a stable coin, I should say, I can't imagine that they don't have people looking to take down any US stable coin and mess up through a monkey wrench into whole system stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, if a state actor or whoever that may be, you know, decides to attack you know, our interests, then we'll have you know, our very sophisticated private sector financially incentivized to help enhance our our defenses and those of our private companies.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, folks, check out that bill and call up your representative. I love that idea because that is a big thread and then just seems like a solution. All right, Chris, wrap up questions. If you weren't part of coin Fun and dealing with crypto, what would you be doing?
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, I'd probably be dealing probably dealing with crypto somehow, or in a tech space or finance something. Yeah. I don't think I'm going back to traditional finance, but I kind of m because that's where I was spending my time. Everything is converging, right, Yeah, it's probably playing with my dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris, pleasure, and you're up in Brian Park. You're close. If we're gonna have to do more.
Speaker 1: Of these anytime, Bro, it's good to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would love to have you as a return guests and get your insights because I absolutely appreciate it. But thank you so much for joining me, Pleasure sir.
Speaker 1: Thanks Tony,