Speaker 1: When Jesus died on the cross, he fulfilled every one of the promises and every one of the predictions or the prophecies that had been made for thousands of years. You see, in the Old Testament we get a partial glimpse of God. We kind of get partially the figure, but it's not real clear. But when Jesus comes, he fills in all the details. He paints the picture, He completes the picture. He gives us what it's like.
Speaker 2: And here's what.
Speaker 1: Jesus told some people after he'd come back to life, after he'd raised on Easter Sunday, he's talking to some people, and here's what he says. In Luke, chapter twenty four, verse forty four to forty seven. Jesus said, this is what I told you when I was still with you.
Speaker 2: This is before he died.
Speaker 1: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the prophets, and the Psalms, that's the Old Testament. He said, all the stuff that was written about me for a thousand years had to be fulfilled. Then he opened their minds so they could understand scriptures, and he told them this is what is written. The Christ will suffer and rise from the debt on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sin will be preached in his name to all nations. He's saying, I just fulfilled all of the promises and all the predictions, all of the prophecies that had been given for thousands of years. So Jesus fulfilled God's promises on the cross, and Jesus satisfied God's justice on the cross. Here's the third thing that he completed on the cross. He paid off the debt I owed God. He paid off the debt that I owed God. You owe something to everybody you've ever hurt or offended or of sinned against. You owe something to them. But you're also in deeper debt to God, and that's a debt you would never possibly be able to repay on your own. But here's the good news. Colossians, chapter two. The Bible says this verse fourteen, we owe a debt because we've broken God's laws. That debt listed all the rules we failed to follow. But here's the good part. But God forgave our debt, and he canceled our debt by nailing it to the cross. Can you imagine if tonight you went home and all of a sudden you got a call from Visa or MasterCard, and they called up and said, we have decided to cancel all your debt. We're just gonna wipe it out. Your record is wipe clean. You are forgiven. It's all forgotten. We're calling it our new Tetelesty program.
Speaker 2: Paid in full. You're free. Would you like that? Oh yeah? Would you feel free? Oh yeah, you'd.
Speaker 1: Want to rejoice, because that's what happens when your debt is forgiven. That's what Jesus Christ did on the Cross. He paid off the debt that I owed God. Colossians, chapter one, verse fourteen. God's son paid the price. God's son paid the price to free us, which means that our sins are forgiven. Which sins are forgiven, all of them, all of them, every single one of them. Just to have it all wiped off, to have your debt paid off by somebody else, that's an amazing thing that Jesus Christ did. Jesus wants to be your best friend. He's just paid off all your debt that you owed to God. Now the Bible says this in Hebrews chapter ten, verse eighteen. Now that sins have been forgiven, there's no need to offer any more sacrifices. You know what your problem is. Your problem is you keep trying to pay for sins that have already been paid for. You keep trying to pay for sins in your life that have already been paid for. Jesus Christ paid for every sin you have ever committed and ever will. He's even paid for the ones you haven't done yet, the ones you're gonna do next week, next year, and in ten years. When he paid on the cross for all the sins of humanity, he died for every one of them. There's not any that's left out. But so many people go around carrying unnatural guilt because they don't realize their sin has been forgiven. And in their mind, they're going, you know, maybe if I just do this, then God will forgive me. Maybe if I do that, then God will forgive me. Maybe if I'm good in this area, God will forgive me. You're trying to pay for sins that have already been paid for.
Speaker 2: They don't need to be paid for twice.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ paid for every stupid mistake I've made in life, every stupid mistake you've made in life. Every sin, every error, every fault, every weakness, you.
Speaker 2: Don't need to pay for them. That's good news.
Speaker 1: He paid off the debt that I owed God. There is nothing more you can do. There's nothing more you can do. It's not like, well, if I do this thing now, God's going to smile at me and he'll kind of even the score.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: I did all this bad stuff. I gotta do this good stuff to make it even. That's not in God's mind. There's nothing more you can do. It's already been paid for. To tell us die, it is finished, paid in full. All your sins have been completely paid for, even the future ones. All right, here's the fourth thing Jesus did all right, fulfilled God's promises, satisfied God's justice, paid off the debt I owed God. Number four, he defeated. This is a big one. He defeated the fear of death on the cross. Jesus defeated the fear of death. And you know what, I've been in countries all around the world. You know what I've discovered. It's a universal fear. Everybody has a fear of death.
Speaker 2: You ever want.
Speaker 1: To kill a conversation, invite some friends over to your house for our party and say, let's talk about death and see how far that goes. This is a universal fear. But when Jesus was on the cross, he broke the fear of death and the power of death. The Bible says this Romans five, verse seventeen. The sin of one man Adam caused.
Speaker 2: Death to rule over us.
Speaker 1: But all who received God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness, that's the gift of grace, will live in triumph over sin and death. Through this one man, Jesus Christ, How did he break the sin, the power of sin and death in our lives? Next verse Hebrews, Chapter two, verse fourteen fifteen. Jesus became flesh and blood, became a human being by being born in human form. For only a human being, as a human being, could he die. God can't die, so he had to come as a human being. Only as a human being could he die. And only by dying could he break the power of the devil who had the power of death. Only in this way could he deliver those who have lived all of their lives as slaves to the fear of dying. The only reason you know that there's life after death is because Jesus Christ resurrected. If Jesus Christ had not resurrected, you'd just be guessing. You'd have no proof, you'd have no knowledge that there's.
Speaker 2: Anything at death. That's the end. It's over, you're done.
Speaker 1: The only reason you know today that there's life after death is because Jesus Christ resurrected. Now, let me just put this perspective. Nobody else is resurrected. Jesus Christ is a lot of times you read these books about people who die for a few hours and then they supposedly go to heaven and then they come back and they come back to life. That's not a resurrection. That's a resuscitation.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Resurrection means you're buried in the ground for three days, you've been dead for three days, and now you're a that's a resurrection. Nobody else is resurrected. And all those books about going to heave and I Saw this and all that and the bright light, you can just throw them all away. Okay, you just throw them all away. Just trust this one right here, because there's only one guy who's been resurrected. You can get resuscitated, you can faint and I could resuscitate you. You can be in a coma and people get resuscitated all the time. Resurrection means you've been dead for days, and only Jesus did that. Now, this is, by the way, this whole thing here of defeating the fear of death. This is what Jesus, what baptism illustrates. You know, it's saddleback. We don't sprink gold, or we don't pour water on people. We actually put people under the water and bring them back up.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: Well, in first place, the word baptizo and Greek means to immerse, that's what it means. But the second place, it's the only way that you could picture a death and a burial and a resurrection. And the baptism represents Jesus dying, being buried in the ground and coming back to life. And Jesus baptism represents that you are going to die and be buried in ground and come back to life because of what Jesus did on the cross. Here's what the Bible says Romans six, verse four. By our baptism, then we were buried with him and shared in his death in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father. Now there's the fifth reason that Jesus said it is finished, and the fifth task that he finishes. This, this is a big one. He destroyed Satan's power to control me is a big one.
Speaker 2: He destroyed Satan's power to control me. He did that on the cross, in the death of the Son of God. On the cross, there's a cosmic battle going on between good and evil, and from a human standpoint, when you look at Jesus on the cross, it looks like evil's winning. It looks like evil is winning. It looked like Satan had won.
Speaker 1: And when Jesus gives up his spirit and dies, Satan goes I did it, I won, I killed God.
Speaker 2: I won. But three days later, surprise, he's back on the cross. Jesus cries out, shouts out, it is finished. Not I'm finished. It is finished. But three days later Satan's going uh oh, I'm finished. I'm finished.
Speaker 1: Every year, Christians from all over the world remember the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ by traveling to Jerusalem, where they walk the path that Jesus took on the way to the cross. That path is called the Via Dola Rosa. Now, since you may not be able to ever travel to Jerusalem. I want to suggest a way for you to celebrate and reflect on and pray about what Jesus did for you on the Cross. So I've created a brand new, one of a kind resource, Journey with Jesus, a deluxe hardcover gift edition book that's illustrated with really beautiful, high quality glossy photos of mosaic tile artwork that reflect each of the stops that Jesus made on.
Speaker 2: His journey to the Cross. You're not ever going to forget this gift.
Speaker 1: It's a great book to keep and to study over and over again, and it make a great gift for your family and your friends too.
Speaker 3: This one of a kind resources only available through Daily Hope. Quantities are limited, so be sure to get yours today. Just call eight four four four six seven thirty nine hundred or visit Daily Hope dot com to get yours today.
Speaker 2: Now, let me be frank with you.
Speaker 1: If you don't know Jesus Christ, if you don't have his spirit in your life, you were flat out powerless against Satan's traps and tricks. You don't have any power at all. You have no power against Satan. You have no power against evil if you don't have God's spirit in your life. Now the Bible says, I you have God's spirit, greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world. But you don't have any of that power unless you get God's spirit inside you. How does Satan manipulate you. He manipulates you through thoughts. He manipulates you through suggestions, and his two favorite ways to manipulate you are by temptation and by condemnation. Temptation condemnation. What he does is he tempts you. He goes, this is no big deal, everybody's doing it. Go ahead and do it, and he minimizes a sin of rebellion. Before the moment you do it, he maximizes, go well, God's never going to love you again.
Speaker 2: Forget that, You're going to hell. Forget that, and on and on and.
Speaker 1: So he maximizes the consequences He minimizes up before you do it, temptation and condemnation. Now, notice what Jesus did in these verses. Jesus destroyed first the power of temptation Colaussians one thirteen. God has freed us from the power of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of his dear son. He destroys that power. Second, he destroys satan power to accuse you. Satan can't condemn you anymore. Why, because you're completely forgiven. If God's forgiven you, God likes you, and you like you. Satan's got a problem Calausians two fifteen. God took away Satan's power to accuse you of sin. He can't accuse you anymore, and he openly displays the whole world christ triumph at the Cross, where your sins were all taken away. The Cross was God's fatal blow to evil. The Cross was God's fatal blow to Satan.
Speaker 2: He didn't even know what was going on. He lost his power.
Speaker 1: You say, it seems to me that Satan's got a lot of power today. Satan is living on borrowed time. His days are numbered. You know, if you got the desert and you see a rattlesnake or any kind of stay, and you cut off the head of a snake, the snake will still wiggle for a while. He's dead and doesn't know it. Satan is dead and doesn't know it. He was fatally wounded at the Cross. His days are numbered. He's dead and no, no, no, he's cooked. And if you have accepted God's spirit into your life inside you, Satan only has power that you yield to him. He don't have any power over you if you don't yield it. But if you yield him power, how do you yield.
Speaker 2: Him aout through fear.
Speaker 1: That yields power to say, through bitterness, through anxiety to give it into temptation. Yeah, you can yield power to say, but he doesn't have any power over you unless you yield.
Speaker 2: It to him.
Speaker 1: Because Jesus destroyed his power to control me on the cross. Okay, let me summarize this. When Jesus dies on the cross and he says to tell us die, it is finished, she's saying, I fulfilled all of God's promises. I satisfied God's judgment, so you don't have to pay, you know, go to prison. I paid off the debt that you owed God. I defeated the fear of death. You don't have to be afraid. I'm not afraid to die. I know where I'm going. He destroyed Satan's power to control you. All five of these benefits are potentially yours. They're not yours yet they're potentially yours. You just need to accept them. You need to accept these five benefits. Now, you know, I've been a pastor a long time, and I've actually talked to a lot of people who hesitate to accept God's gift of what Jesus did on the Cross out of fear. And the fear is well, I'm afraid that if I accept the Lord into my life. I won't be able to keep myself saved. Let me tell you can't. You can't keep yourself safe. But it's not your job. That's his job too. There's nothing left for you to do. It's not your job. It's job God's job to keep you saved. Look at what the Bible says this verse Philippians, Chapter one, verse six. You can be certain this is not a wish. This is a certainty. You can be certain of this. God who began his good work within you, will continue his work in you until it is finally finished. To tell us, diy finally finished. On that day when Christ comes back again, God finishes every single thing he starts, including your salvation. That's included too. Now let me just say this, The fact of life is you're gonna die with some unfinished business. There's gonna be some things you wish you'd done with your life that you didn't get done. You're gonna have some regrets, some remorse. Not everything's gonna get done. But there's one thing in your life, and it's the most important thing that has already been finished. It is your salvation, because it was done two thousand years ago. Ephesians two, verse eight says this saving being saved is all his idea, God's idea, and it's all his work. You don't work for it. It's all God's work. Jesus did it on the cross. Saving is all his idea, all his work. All we do is trust him. All we do is trust him enough to.
Speaker 2: Let him do it.
Speaker 1: It's God's gift from start to finish. Do you see now why I call this bessies. There's nothing more for you to do. There's nothing more for you to do. I mean, what if I took a paint brush and I tried to improve the Mona Lisa, It'd be stupid. But what if I took a chisel and tried to improve Michelangelo's statue of David?
Speaker 2: It'd be stupid.
Speaker 1: What if I try to add to my salvation and make myself saved by all the good things I do.
Speaker 2: It would be stupid.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing. You can add anything to it. See what I'm saying is the difference between Christianity and every other faith, every other faith, is the difference between do and done. All the other religions have a list of dues, and they've all got their list of dues and don'ts, and even their secular religions that their dues and don'ts in political correctness. And you do all these things, and you don't do all these things.
Speaker 2: But when it comes.
Speaker 1: To a relationship with Christ, it's all been done, all been done, And never forget. Many years ago, a guy up here on the patio after service came up to me and he goes, Pastor Rick, tell me what do I need to do to go to heaven? What do I need to do to go to heaven? And I looked at him and I just wanted to shock him, and I said, you're too late. He wasn't expecting this from a pastor. Okay, I know you're too late. Oh come on, tell me what I gotta do. You're too late? So what do you mean you're too late. There's nothing left you can do. It was all done for you two thousand years ago to tell us die. It is finished. It's finished. There's nothing left for you to do. You can't add anything to it. You can't make the Mona Lisa look better. If you've ever bought an insurance policy, you know there's a section called death benefits, and in that section it lists this is what's gonna happen when the person dies, the benefits that you get out of this policy. I have just given you the death benefits of the death of Jesus Christ past forgiven purpose for living home in heaven. Ask forgiven purpose for living home in heaven. Where are you gonna get that from anybody else? There is no other place. There's no other place. You need to stop trying to pay for sins that have already been paid for. You need to stop beating yourself up trying to atone for your own sins. You can stop hanging yourself on a cross, because Jesus was hung on across for you.
Speaker 2: He was hung up for your hang ups. All you gotta do is just accepted there is nothing more for you to do.
Speaker 1: Let's bower heads, would you pray this simple prayer in humility and in honesty and authenticity to God. It actually doesn't even matter the words you say as much as your attitude of humility and authenticity. But just say something that say, Jesus Christ, thank you for dying for me. Say it in your mind. Jesus Christ, thank you for dying for me. Thank you that you paid off the debt that I owed God. Thank you that you satisfied justice. It's not fair for me to go free. I should have to pay for my sins, but you paid for them. You satisfied God's justice. Thank you for keeping your promise.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sending a savior to earth because I certainly can't save myself. Thank you for defeating the fear of death that I can know there's life after death because Jesus resurrected. And thank you that you destroyed Satan's power to control me. I don't want to be controlled by evil. I want to be controlled by good. So as much as I know how, I humbly say I believe in you. I accept your gift, and I want to spend the rest of my life just.
Speaker 2: Getting to know you and learning to love you.
Speaker 1: And being grateful for what you did for me that I could not do for myself. Thank you that you love me that much. I humbly pray this in your name.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest joys of my days reading letters from our listeners. It truly is inspiring to see how God is working in your lives, and it encourages me just as much as I hope to encourage you. So today I want to share a note from Heather, who has been discovering the incredible benefits of studying God's Word every day. Heather wrote to me, she said, Hi, Pastor Rick, a friend of mine recently sent me your podcast, and I've been feeling lost and helpless and I didn't I wasn't sure what to pray, or how to pray, or when to pray. And it's like I hit a wall and I haven't been sure how to get back on track. Well, your message really spoke truth to me, and it made me realize the missing pieces I had in my life. Because I was not in God's Word daily. I was basically living my life without God and I was trying to do everything on my own.
Speaker 2: Well, Pastor Rick.
Speaker 1: It goes without saying that doing life without God has been miserable failure. So thank you for stirring the Holy Spirit in my heart with the words that I needed to hear. I have now made the commitment to read God's Word every day and to pray daily, and I even started praying in the cars I go about my day. Just like you, it's hard for me to close my eyes and not fall asleep. You were listening. Please keep doing what you're doing and reaching people who really need to hear about Jesus and God's love. Well, Heather, I am so glad to hear that you're back in God's word and that you're making it a part of your daily life. There really isn't anything more important than deepening your relationship with Him, and I love the fact that you are praying every day, especially keeping your eyes open while you're driving. Do you or somebody know or even feel lost yourself like Heather once did? Well, the best way to find hope and strength is by staying connected to God every day. That's the purpose of Daily Hope, and that's why I started it, to help people like Heather dive into God's word and experience his encouragement on a daily basis. Now our Daily Hope devotionals and our pot cats are completely free and they're delivered straight to your inbox every morning. So if you're not getting these, sign up today and start each day with biblical wisdom and encouragement from God's Word. Every year, Christians from all over the world remember the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ by traveling to Jerusalem, where they walk the path that Jesus took on the way to the Cross. That path is called the Via dol Rosa. Now, since you may not be able to ever travel to Jerusalem, I want to suggest a way for you to celebrate and reflect on and pray about what Jesus did for you on the Cross. So I've created a brand new, one of a kind resource, Journey with Jesus, a deluxe hardcover gift edition book that's illustrated with really beautiful, high quality, glossy photos of mosaic tile artwork that reflect each of the stops that Jesus made on his journey to the Cross. You're not ever going to forget this gift. It's a great book to keep and to study over and over again, and it'd make a great gift for your family and your friends too.
Speaker 3: This one of a kind resources only available through Daily Hope. Quantities are limited, so be sure to get yours today. Just call eight four four four six seven thirty nine hundred or visit Dailyhope tv dot com to get yours today.