Speaker 1: Bulky it's episode twenty one. Oh we've done twenty one of these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, holy cow right, I know time flies when you remember when we bet, when we used to memorize, like we knew okay, the first one we did was a final destination like you had, and like, I don't know, at some point, I'm like, I can't remember. Oh, yeah, that's long gone. That happened to me with Super Bowls. Honestly, like, there was a time when I could have gone from nineteen eighty seven, the year I was born, all the way up until like twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen without even thinking. It was basically like my alphabet. I was like bam bam, bam, bam bam, last seven or eight years now. And now I'm like, I know Kansas City was in there a couple of times. Yeah, But like it it's once you get long enough, man, it becomes hazy.
Speaker 3: I I yeah, I used to have a memorized yeah, and then I think right around when Brady's dominence started, then I kind of lost track, Yeah, because I mean, like, the human brain can only take so much and then after a while you have to forget stuff to learn new stuff.
Speaker 2: You know that's what they just just that's how it works, since what they tell me twenty one episodes in Bulk, And I think I can finally say and I will say, I'll have some nice things to say about this, okay, And I think we finally found our first clunker of the bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I told I was taking my buddy Stirfry at work today and I said, I think this is going to get my lowest rating of now that I know that this is the twenty first rating that we've given out, this will.
Speaker 1: Probably be my lowest. I think that.
Speaker 3: And we're talking about the twenty twenty four film It's What's Inside. Yes, this is directed and written by Greg Jardin, who I should probably have done some research on this guy. I don't know what he has done since then or before. Yeah, we'll get to that though, I promise, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: And basically the film is featuring eight friends roughly yeah thereabouts, yeah.
Speaker 3: And essentially one of these friends they all get together ahead of one of their I head the night before one of them is getting married. They're all college friends or whatever, and they're all in like their mid to late twenties. Now they get together and one of them has this device that allows them to essentially their consciousness switch bodies. So Friend A's conscious goes into friend Bee's body, Friend's Be's consciousness goes into friends C's body, you know, and their flip flop. And it starts off as a game like, oh, let's guess who's who here, and then there's the development the madness ensues when something crazy happens, and then you know, we'll try not to explain away everything. My biggest issue with this film.
Speaker 1: I think I know what it is, but hit me with it. It took me.
Speaker 3: It took like forty five minutes roughly for anything to happen. There was a ton of exposition, and I understand like you probably needed some of that. I don't think you needed all of it. There was a lot of just kind of like I don't know if it was if they're trying to set you up to get comfortable and familiar and see what's going to happen, and then all of a sudden things just kind of turn on its ear. And because of the false sense of security that you were into in the first forty five to fifty minutes of the film is accentuated when this big event happens.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's what happened. It just took so long. And I was.
Speaker 3: Watching this in the first I was like fifteen minutes in. And by the way, this is available on Netflix. Who recommended this film to you?
Speaker 1: Ben?
Speaker 2: My brother and I were bouncing movies off of one another, and we were both commenting on how lackluster this October has been in terms, so this came with a grain of salt. He said, I'm not saying this is the best thing I've seen, However, in a lackluster season, this is worth checking out.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: It's a cool idea. Yes, that has its moments. And I would argue, yes, it does, but there were a lot of shortcomings, and you hit on the one that stuck out to me.
Speaker 1: But go ahead.
Speaker 3: The final point I want to make before I turn it back to you. One of the things he told you that you told me For the first twenty minutes, you'd be like, I, let you're gonna think I led you down the wrong pathway. Yeah, like it's it's it's rough, but just just be patient wait for it. And I thought about that fifteen minutes in.
Speaker 1: I'm like, God, me too, just too.
Speaker 3: I would have turned it off honestly if we weren't doing it just it held zero interest. But it's the importance of like, you know, sticking around for the entire vision of the director, the entire vision of the writer, and we had to see what happens.
Speaker 1: So I'll let you. I mean, you and I both agreed too much exposition, too slow of a start. Yeah, what else did you that's an understatement.
Speaker 2: I believe I paused it because, like you and I are anti spoiler, but to me, uh, driving forces of a movie aren't necessarily a spoiler. Like what we did Good Fortune, we were like the guy was hard on his luck and he switched lives with a billionaire and now you got to live as that and the billionaire had to live as him.
Speaker 1: It's kind of bizarre that we did those back to back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, weird, But like the reason it feels like a spoiler because I paused the movie and like I almost I'm not even afraid to say it, because it's in the description of the movie that it happens somebody dies while they're switching bodies, and that happens an hour and five minutes into an hour and forty five minute movie. Yeah, and to be honest with you, Balky, it was slow pacing leading up to that, and I think where this movie struggled was then on the other side, this group of lifelong friends turns on each other really quickly. Like I was thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you say they turned on you, Really they turn on each other really quickly. Think about what's going on, yeah, and then think about the finality of what they're facing here. I mean I might turn on people pretty quickly then too. YEA, sure, you know, because I think that there's were these were serious high stakes, Yeah, are going on.
Speaker 1: It's it's very high stakes.
Speaker 2: But I guess I was putting myself in that position with my high school friends, the guys I've known since kindergarten where I was six years old, and one of us ends up biting it while we're in this position, and how the rest of us would be handling it, and immediately the dirt starts coming out on one another and they all start backstabbing one another, and it gets to some pretty high level stuff by the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: What they're doing.
Speaker 3: I do think that there's a lot of selfishness exhibited by these characters. But if you look at you know who these people were. Instagram influencer, sure, trust fund baby, a guy who who really in many ways abuses his girlfriend, right yeah, emotionally, emotionally emotionally abuses are yeah, this is these are not great people, right No. And so to me, like, I get why they turned on each other because I don't think they were very wholesome to begin with. Quite frankly, the most wholesome person in this became sort of the most cutthroat towards the end, which I thought was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: It was actually the best part of the whole movie in my opinion, that that arc that that character went on. They even she uses lines towards the end of the movie that they kind of hint at towards the middle of the movie that like, and it was just done in a very well way. That was probably one of the only things that I truly came out of that is just mesmerized by. And I will say, and I realized, this is going to make me sound like a plebeian the kapleeb, like a commoner in terms of movies. But I'm gonna have to say this out loud. This is a thing that I've been thinking for over a decade. At this point. I used to say, when Walking Dad was in its prime, Yeah, I would say, how are movie studios going to go back to making zombie movies? Because now that I'm four years into this and I have this emotional connection to all these characters, how do you expect me to develop that kind of connection over the course of ninety minutes and then have no follow up after that?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And eventually, because the Marvel Cinematic Universe was kind of in its in its prepubestent stage, Disney hadn't even bought it yet, it became clear to me that shared universes was going to be the answer to that. Like, there is a reason to see this because it is part of a bigger thing, and it is worth coming out here to go and check out. They took an hour setting up these characters that I found myself not caring about any of them. Yeah, and it kind of was all of my problems with the way cinema was headed all rolled up into one movie. You had characters, the acting was fine. I thought that there were a couple of interesting character tropes that were in there, but like, why do I care about these people? The interesting part was the body switching, Like that was why I was here. It felt like I was watching Clue. Towards the end, it was awesome, Like I actually liked that part of it. I would have liked forty more minutes of that kind of stuff where people are bouncing back and forth and you have no concept. They focused too much on the interpersonal drama for a bunch of people that were never gonna hear from again, and like that is kind of where I struggle, And I realized there's gonna be movie people that hate that I said that, but that That's where I'm coming at this now.
Speaker 1: The argument there is that in.
Speaker 3: Order for us to truly appreciate, which I didn't because I was overwhelmed by all the bodies switching, to appreciate the something people, you have to know the people. You have to know their their their language, the way they speak. And and I will say this talk about the acting was fine. I thought the acting was.
Speaker 1: Really really good because these characters had these actors had to play the same character as as other actors in the movie, right, so you know some of these you know, the these eight people, they all played a minimum of of two different characters.
Speaker 2: Because there were two rounds of the game. Yea more people and then some of them pretend to be other people.
Speaker 3: That was the other thing that, Yeah, that was the twist at the end. I thought was pretty cool too. The but you could see I think it was Forbes when when he was being played by the actor playing Forbes in this.
Speaker 1: Movie, this is going to be so confused.
Speaker 3: The actor playing Forbes in this movie was switched into another character's body. No, yeah, well, okay, it's too confusing. There's a scene where they're in like some sort of.
Speaker 1: Greenhouse. It was a greenhouse, sure, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the acting by the character by by the fore the actor playing Forbes, Yeah, okay, I thought was brilliant of how he was playing this other character, because you know, even though it was only like an hour, even though it was only an hour, you kind of develop, like, okay, the mannerisms and the way that they speak and talk and move around.
Speaker 1: I could see that. Yeah, And I started to see it in other characters as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some then I started picking up on like, oh, okay, you know, because you the audience is they're playing a game to guess who's who, right, yes, and we're kind of playing that as well, right, and so to be tipped off. I don't want to say the exposition was needed, like all that setup was needed, but it did help in those moments.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 2: I actually texted you while I was watching the movie, and I, oh, you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was just a text that just said, there's way too many characters in this Yeah, there were too many characters. Yees watching the way that it was all unfolding, and I was paying attention, like I was into it and had been recommended. And it's a Sundance Film Festival film, which is not a guarantee of quality, but I do give that a little bit of credence when I hear that it comes from there, because I tend to like that kind of stuff. You definitely get the most unique ideas out of that. It's just i'll tell you, you and I watch stuff that isn't necessarily four hour demographic, like I'm willing to skew younger. I mean, comic book movies are for fourteen year olds. It just so happens that we enjoy them as well, and that's absolutely fine.
Speaker 1: Oh they're for fourteen year olds.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know, for all, that's just it there for anybody, her perpetual for team, and there we go. Yeah, this time though, it was a little different. Like I always say, there's a difference between watching Batman and watching Spider Man. When I'm watching Spider Man, I'm like, I feel a little older than the demographic for this movie, yep. Whereas watching Batman, I'm like, no, this is for me, even though it's a movie about a guy dressing up as a bat punching people at night, right, Like, I'm like, no, this is for me. This has an edge to it that I'm okay with. This is one of those movies and even dealt in problems and not to minimize it. Like there's an idea about like poor an addiction in this movie that wasn't Like I'm sure there's people in my life that I'm unaware that are addicted to it, but like it's not a thing that we grew up on, Whereas if you graduated from high school two or three years ago, I think this is a much more prevalent idea in the circles that you run with.
Speaker 3: There was a Sturfry was telling me he thought that the whole first hour was just all, He's like, oh, it's just gen Z a millennial talk. Yeah, you know, yes, And I'm like, dude, dude, aren't you a millennial And he's like yeah, And even I didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Because elder millennial is different. I was talking about that outside the Box today. I was like, I spent half my life without a cell phone. We had one computer in the house. I didn't spend a lot of time on the internet. Like, even though the internet was around and video games were around, video games kind of sucked. It was Nintendo and Sega.
Speaker 3: I didn't, you know, I didn't have a phone. I mean, we had a landline, we had one computer and no video game system.
Speaker 2: There you go exactly, So like there is even though your millennials, like I felt old watching this revie, like that's the best way that I not that that's a bad thing, but I'm saying it was definitely in my mind while I was watching this. A lot of their problems, a lot of the back and forth and uh, I'll but just on a personal level, I never have respect for the plots, Like I'm very much as a man who's been perpetually single as soon as it really like I'm just like, oh, I don't need to deal with this. And there was a lot of relationship trauma in this movie that I'm like, Okay, then go see somebody else, Like what are we talking about here? And I realized not everyone's wired that way, but that those kind of plots they feel younger, it feels a little more immature. And that was kind of that was I was sitting there watching. Honestly, I was thinking about you because I feel like I am more immature than you are, and I'm sitting there like, oh, if I feel this way, I can't imagine what balk you know.
Speaker 1: Like it did.
Speaker 3: It did open up possibilities like when you're because there is a lot of I don't want to say sexual tension between some of these characters, but there was. I mean, these these were longtime friends, you know, friends that had been ostensibly friends since college, right, and I'm assuming they're right about to turn thirty rough, So so this is like this is I think it was literally eight years after you know, they had they had you know last I don't say last seen each other, but last we're at college together. Sure, And so there was some you know potential, you know, failed hookups, you know where one person wanted it the other person didn't. At the time, there was two people wanted it, but they couldn't make it happen for whatever reason. And so then when you can switch bodies all of a sudden, like, hey, are we cheating? Are we not cheating because I'm in a different body. Yeah, and you're in a different body, and and uh, you know, so I think that opens up, you know, questions from a lot of audience members, like what would you do in that scenario?
Speaker 1: You know, which I just ride it out. Personally, I wouldn't have played.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, okay, let's get I definitely wouldn't have played a second time.
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't have played a first time, No way, no way in hell. This weird guy and the setup for Forbes, yeah, you know, and like sort of like and he's the creepiest looking guy too.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it was distracting, actually how funny looking he was and we are bulky and I were not saying we're attractive people. I'm just saying he was so off putting.
Speaker 3: He was cast for a reason, yeah, I mean, clearly, but but but it opens up all these questions, what would you do in that scenario, you wouldn't have played the second time.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have messed around with it the first time. I even think peer pressure.
Speaker 3: I mean, granted, I'm forty five now, so peer pressure does not have the same effect on me and it was in my twenties, but I would have been like, Yeah, what are we doing here, We're messing around, We're playing with fire, which playing with fire is usually make some pretty good films. And you knew that bad things were gonna happen. And honestly I mentioned this to you. I can't remember with maybe I mentioned it to you last week. A lot of this reminded me of the film, and maybe more so than than Good Fortune, the film Very Bad.
Speaker 1: Things, which I think I mentioned to you.
Speaker 3: Christian Slater, Yeah, Stern, yeh.
Speaker 1: Favreau.
Speaker 3: John Favreau is in that as well, where you know you're just having a good time, you're playing around, but when you play around with something serious, it has it could have significant consequences. And all these people's lives I think, I'm I don't think I'm being hyperbolic here. I think all these people's lives were changed.
Speaker 2: Oh after after this game, Yeah, and I found myself thinking because of course it's a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Inevitably, cops, I was gonna ask you, would you classify this as horror? Yeah, there wasn't. There wasn't any gore hardly. Yeah, there's a little bit one one little bit one part and it wasn't even really gory. I yeah, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I I liked how they would do, like they would turn it into a red room and show you who's inside the person that echo features too.
Speaker 3: I'm glad they did that because there were times where I was lost. So if you were, if you're worried about getting confused on who's who, they have this obvious way of showing it to you where they they tinge it with what you call it a red room.
Speaker 1: That is that a no, no, that's just because they put a giant red light on the room.
Speaker 3: Everybody was and then so basically and yeah, this is not spoiling anything. Anytime you see the red light on these characters, you see who's really inside those bodies.
Speaker 2: So it kind of you And there's a sound distortion that I found a little bit a little bit. Yeah, like I think if I weren't so numb to horror at this point, it might have been a little bit freakier to me. And I always have to ask myself if I were fourteen, how would I be handling this?
Speaker 1: Who are you in this movie? Who were you? You do remember the characters? That's just it.
Speaker 2: I think none of them were memorable enough for me to be like, oh this, this is definitely the person that I would recognize myself as. And like, I've never been particularly like I'm a pretty good boyfriend. I'm not a trust fund baby like I'm not. I was gonna say, probably the closest thing I'd be is either Shelby or the because technically radio is the first social media.
Speaker 1: That would be. But I'm not that vain. But so you're not Cyrus, You're not You're not You're not Forbes. No, of course not, You're not. Would you be Ruben? Yeah? Maybe, but I'd like he was so nondescript, you know, he was the one he was crushing on Maya. I want to say, christ Yeah, I know. There's like it's like we said, there's a lot of characters in this movie.
Speaker 2: I will say, though, and this is I think this is the first time I ever brought this up on this podcast, but my brother and I have because I was asking myself, once the law enforcement gets involved, how do you get out of this situation?
Speaker 1: Right? No one's gonna believe what you're saying. Right.
Speaker 2: My brother and I have what we referred to as the Chucky policy because in every child's play movie ever, like, the main character will be like, Chucky's alive and then whoever this? I was like, nah ah, and then they find out by seeing Chucky alive and then he fucking kills him right after that every single time, and that's where the plot is. So my brother and I have a policy. Were like, if we show up and say this thing happened, we actually invoke the Chucky policy and we will immediately kick it into gear. But you can't abuse it because if you say Chucky's alive and we have to set this doll on fire, I'm setting your doll on fire like there's not going to be. And so I was like, what would I be saying to my brother right now to convince him I'm in this chick's body or whatever the situation may be, because that would be my only outlet and I have to believe if I didn't have that outlet and we only have it because we grew up watching this kind of crap. How would I get out of that position? And I don't know that I would have a viable to get.
Speaker 1: Out of that.
Speaker 3: I would just feel an incredible, overwhelming feeling of helplessness, overwhelming if I was and I knew the finality of this, well, I mean the finality. Here's the other thing I'll bring up too. As much as we say the the start was super slow, the end was super fast. Agreed, I would and I listen, I don't say this very often, especially about a film like this.
Speaker 1: I would love love to watch a sequel of this film just where everybody ended up.
Speaker 3: Well, you kind of know where everybody ended up. Yeah, well, I mean that, But that doesn't mean that it has to stop there. Yeah, I agree that machine is still out there. Yeah, and there's people that are motivated to switch bodies, heavily motivated to switch bodies. Oh yeah, And you could easily, I mean easily do a sequel on this.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think it did well enough that they're ever going to make a sequel, sure, but I would love to see, you know, a second one hundred minutes of this.
Speaker 1: They even touch on it. A little bit.
Speaker 2: They say, you getting a taste of another human condition because you're so used to thinking how you think and feeling how you feel that as soon as you get a taste of what another experience is like, like I wonder what a third one would be like, And as soon as you kind of crack that open, and they kind of insinuate at least maybe a handful of characters might be feeling the same way. I found that very interesting. Like, I'll be real, I had some weird ass thoughts watching this movie, Bulky, Like at one point, I asked myself, I'm like, if I'm in that girl, could I convince people I were a lesbian? Or would they know that I was a dude in a girl's body?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean like I was having those thoughts while I was watching this movie, and like, to a certain extent, it was fun. It's like a fun thought experiment, but like there wasn't enough meat on that bone to keep me. Like, I don't know that I would want a sequel, but I get why you would be interested.
Speaker 3: I mean, like it's you know, it would never happen, Yeah, I mean I can't imagine happened. I can't imagine that these actors would want to come back and do a sequel. I'm sure the Greg Jardin, the writer director.
Speaker 1: Who I can't even find like he was he was nothing else.
Speaker 2: He was directing music videos before I about this, So all things considered, pretty impressive debut.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, got to a solid did you What was the other thing I was going to ask you about this? About this?
Speaker 3: Oh, we're always looking for original, stuffy stuff we haven't seen before. Yeah, I can't recall seeing anything like this before, but I think this is more like it. It would shock more people for you to say that you've never seen because you this is normally like the type of stuff that you like to see, and this was original for you too, though, Absolutely it was.
Speaker 2: Such a cool That's what got me interested in it in the first place is that it was suggested. And I even said I asked my brother via text, I said, oh, what'd you think? And he goes, it was fine, And then like we almost texted at the exact same time, really original ideas, the same idea, and I was like, I don't know how I never thought to do this, Like you know what I mean? I think that's it's a great idea, And again I think the issue was I don't know if maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at the beginning or what the problem was, because again we're not.
Speaker 1: In a theater. We watched this at home, right.
Speaker 3: Do you think that that that's just a casualty of this type of movie where you need all that setup in order to really enjoy the the the execution of the body switching.
Speaker 1: Do you need all that? And if that's the case, then is the juice worth the squeeze?
Speaker 3: In other words, yeah, how would how what would we have done differently in this film to make it better? Because we like the idea, but you know, we didn't like the setup. It's just took too long and you're losing your attention and and whatever in this. But I don't know if there's a better way to do it to still have that same impactful reaction audience reaction when all this stuff hits the fan.
Speaker 1: Outside of making an eight episode mini series. I know that.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's the idea, like that this would have been better had it not been one hundred and five minute movie and it been you know, ten episodes or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know there was a similar concept like that just kind of jogged my memory. There is an episode of Futurama where they do this, oh really and yeah and all them like it's the main cast plus like four of the Harlem Globetrotters plus like really, yeah, it's it's a whole thing. And there's even like an advanced physics principle that they have to use to because there's like there's some gimmick where you can only change two people at the same time, and like like there's a whole thing. But it works because there was seven seasons of the show before that episode, so you know who all the characters are, you know their mannerisms to try and introduce people to a new idea, like not to bring it back to it, but it always we always do. If you did it within the MCU tomorrow, I think I would love that movie because I know who all the characters are, I know how they act.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, what you could have done if you do this as a mini series. Two things I think of. Number one is Lost.
Speaker 1: Did you watch Lost?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But I know the premise, so but throw.
Speaker 3: The premise out of it, because what Lost did Almost every single episode that it would be about, except for like the big episodes or whatever. It would be exposition on a character's backstory and not just sometime. I mean like some of the characters would get six, seven, eight episodes, okay, and this went on for you know, six years or whatever.
Speaker 1: Back when there was twenty two episodes right season two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you'd get this backstory different part like and like I say, different characters will have different we will have multiple episodes, but it's all telling different parts of their lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you could have done that fairly easily. Yes, with this where you have the set up episode and an episode two is the Shelby episode, Episode.
Speaker 3: Three the cyrus you know, and so on and so forth. It reminded me of that reminds me lost. And then also do you remember the mini series this is on god, probably like ten or fifteen years ago now, and I think it was based on like an Australian or British mini series.
Speaker 1: Called The Slap. You remember this now?
Speaker 3: The Slap was, uh, the setup was all these families are to get together like a cookout and Peter.
Speaker 1: Peter soers Guard, it was pretty good cast.
Speaker 3: Peter Sarersguard's character slaps one of his friend's kids on the face for not listening, like he was being a jerk or rude to his kid. And and then and then it created this whole thing, yeah, lawsuits and whatever, but every episode.
Speaker 1: Of that was the backstory to what leda and all.
Speaker 3: This other stuff that we didn't know, Like we just seem like it's all six families having a good time at a cookout, and you find out all these other things going on that are serious, you know, not necessarily nefarious, but serious goings on that these characters are dealing with.
Speaker 1: I think that would have been more.
Speaker 3: Impactful, absolutely in a setup of this, and and you could have made season two, yeah, and have made the sequel.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what you do with the sequel. Well now because that the cat's out of the bag on a lot of these characters now, so you can't really have a.
Speaker 2: Similar principle, though, you could just make it your own thing and do this the right way now that the frameworks out there. It reminds me of a Yellow Jackets, which was the same idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another series.
Speaker 2: That was phenomenal with the women's what was it a soccer team or whatever, a soccer team. Yeah, and I love that stuff. And then the flashback was the Island though, and it's just there were simple ways to do it. I remember a similar criticism about Eternals, honestly, and I think that would be if you want to make it a Marvel movie, it would be Eternals turnals. You learned about nine freaking people over the course of an hour and a half. You had no idea who any of them were, and it looks like we're never going to see most of them again outside of maybe the occasional crossover.
Speaker 1: And it just kind of bring back Harry Styles. You got to pay that off. Yeah, you would think Noswald is the drunken Elf or whatever. Yeah, in the Hidden See or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I didn't have like the movie. It had its flaws, but it also had some cool ideas as well. But a lot of people said, you have Disney, plus you have all these TV shows, why didn't you make this one the TV show where we could get acclimated to all of these new characters instead of trying to get it done in one hundred minutes.
Speaker 1: And you could still do the movie, yes, you know, after after build into it.
Speaker 3: I think the thing with the MCU, though, is they don't want to utilize the small screen to set up the big screen. No, they want to. They want to set everything up with the big screen. Have that spill all over to the small screen.
Speaker 1: Sure, but feel like some missing out still, Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 2: And uh yeah and again it's just there was a lot of gusto in this, Like, I appreciate the effort. Again, I hate crapping. We're not crapping on it. But I hate saying that I didn't like something that tries to be original because I feel like you're discouraging originality and trying new things, and I'm comparing it to all this cookie cutter, blockbuster Hollywood stuff that I like, I just did that something was missing. I don't think it's doable in an hour in forty.
Speaker 1: Do it and not?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you can't do it well in that plot device plot not plot device plot question for you. Yeah, I'm gonna put Forbes in quotes here. Sure, Why did Forbes show Shelby how that machine worked?
Speaker 1: Why do you think? I mean, I know why they put it in the story. Yeah, why you know, as protective as he was with that machine, why share how it works? Another character that you kind of knew a decade ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely was a question a plot hole. I think it's a plot hole, or is it like why do the James Bond villains always explain and excruciating detail exactly how they're going to pull something off once they think they've forgot everything handled and it turns out, oh, son of a gun, we don't have everything handled.
Speaker 1: That's the fallacy of the villain.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I don't know that he's a although I guess, knowing how the plot goes, I guess that is the villain of we can't.
Speaker 1: There's just it's it's hard to do, and there's too many villains in this story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of the guys were reputable because even the guy who was getting married the next day, they the camera showed how he had, you know, essentially like literally tunnel vision on one of the one of the women, you know, so that he's getting married the next day, and all he could think about is this woman in there.
Speaker 1: I think the girls were a little bit more redeeming.
Speaker 2: We had.
Speaker 3: Ironically, I just had I can't remember what it's called, but oh, it's it's a beer I think from Toppling Live called Revenge of the Final Girl, right, Yeah, And I think it's ironic that that we had, in my opinion, a few Final Girls this movie, but one significant one.
Speaker 1: Because again, some of those other girls also had some pretty unredeemed movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, well one of them was underde the social media answer, but then the other two, I don't know what what what their bugaboo was just I guess maybe one of them cheating, are forcing the groom to cheat, the kind.
Speaker 1: Of and and then the other one was just a pushover. Yeah, yeah, exactly, And and uh, we know from Cabin in the Woods. Yeah, the stoners always make it. That's how they always make it. Yeah, that's how you have the Stoner's in the Final Girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, anyway, no honestly though, but yeah, I mean I don't know how much more honestly within this movie, because again it's a hard one to talk about because we're kind of going through it.
Speaker 3: I think we set it up pretty well so people kind of know what we're talking about. But yeah, that this machine just it's it's these wires that hook up to your temples, like one on each side, and then he pushes a button, flips some switches, and then all of a sudden and he and he gets to manipulate the Forbes is the guy who shows up with this. He gets to manipulate who's and who's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he even identifies if you're a nerd, you know what, the term dungeon master. He equates himself to that. So it's like when you're playing dungeons and Dragons, the one person technically isn't playing. They're just super creative and having fun with the story. Right, That's essentially the role he played, but he thrust himself in there as well pretty quickly. I cool idea, impossible to execute and in one hundred minutes. In one hundred minutes, Yeah, this could have been an epic.
Speaker 1: I mean, this could have been like one of those things that we're talking about on like have you seen this? Yes, What's inside series?
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I can't wait to see like because you leave an episode and you're like, wait, I thought she was her. Now I think that she's her, and he's probably him. But if he's him, then he can't be that guy. Like it's just it'd be a mind f essentially. And I've said multiple times in this podcast. I said it during Megan two point zero, I said what I loved about what I love about good movies is when there's fifteen characters and they all feel like they're in it for themselves. You're like, I technically don't know who the good guy and who the bad guy is. This creates that, This creates that feeling. It just doesn't deliver her the ways that I want it to. I don't know if I found if I just found myself, if the story was a little too childish or what it was. But something prevented me, Like if I'm not able to be like, oh, this is who I was in the story, like there's something with it, and have seven characters, I should be somebody in that story. I just I think it's just there's not a whole lot of redeemability with these characters.
Speaker 1: So and then that's another thing. It's hard to identify with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the way the movie develops, I think it wants you to identify with Shelby more so, yeah, than than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's even in the opening scene there's a movie where they put her she puts a wig on for sex time, right, and uh, that is a metaphor for the entire movie. She's an entirely different person. So like they definitely it's what's inside, right, they want you to associate with her as definitely the goal.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the ending? Satisfactory for you? Yeah? It was? Yeah, I like, I liked the ending, I you know, left me wanting more.
Speaker 3: Sure I understand how it's said factory and understand how if this is a closed story, which I know it is, but I'm hoping it's not. That there are a lot of characters who got what was coming and maybe some characters who didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say the final final thing without saying what happened. I thought that was excessive final. Yeah, how the movie ends two people talking and what one character? Oh you thought that was accessive? I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, okay, he was, you know, the jerk guy. But I think we're far beyond the pale of the appropriate.
Speaker 1: Ye I didn't. I didn't think about that. But yeah, I don't know. But the one there's one person maybe maybe that was too hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's uh yeah, the person in the car driving away not saying yeah it was male or female.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed that had some cruel intentions vibes a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was into that. I was into that ending very much. I didn't mind that part of it. I would have actually, did you did you know who it was?
Speaker 1: By the way, No, until you saw them until yeah, and then I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, I mean there was The ending of this was was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I liked it more than the ending to Good Fortune because I need to tell you off the air why I despised it. Remind me when we get off, because there was there's part of that that it's like, come on, the was it too sugary? Sort of like there was something like oh, But then I was like, oh, I guess it can't end that way. But I hate that it doesn't end that way, and you know, so on and so forth. But no, I better ending here. The rest of the movie is where it kind of misses right exactly.
Speaker 1: I will I will.
Speaker 3: Be the first one to nominate It's What's Inside too if they ever make it, and I don't think they will. But I just think that there's there's this This could be a great continuation. When when you're talking about body switching or consciousness's conscious consciousnesses?
Speaker 1: Is that a word consciousness is? I think it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, conscious consciousness switching bodies that it just now there's no and see now I'm getting the high that they talked about in the movie. And I didn't even switch bodies. I just watch people switch bodies, and I'm like, I want more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want more to this.
Speaker 3: Story because if it ends there, it ends there. But I just think that there's a lot more you can do with it. And I don't often say that.
Speaker 1: I think that's rare. Ben Ya.
Speaker 2: You know, it feels like they just scratch the surface. But again it's because it feels like it's going a mile a minute, because you go to meeting the characters, to learning how the technology, well.
Speaker 3: It doesn't go a mile a minute, like I think, like the last half hour is pretty last forty five minutes, i'd say is pretty breakneck pace. But the first hour was just like a slog And maybe that was for intentional for the impact on the pace of the film and how but which, by the way, I could have done without the eighteen thoughts. The cops are almost here, The cops are almost here. The cops are here. Hey, the cops are here. Hey, the cops are walking up the driveway. Hey, the cops are at the Yeah, we get it. Yeah, okay, Like just I that was a little over the top. And by a little over the top, I mean a lot.
Speaker 2: Over the incredibly excessive. Yeah, I'm right there with you. It's not looking promising during it. During an interview with Variety, Jardon revealed that he's not currently developing a sequel to It's What's Inside, but teased I guess time will tell. He also explained how negotiations and the sale to Netflix became a learning experience and how he as a writer and director might not benefit. Go figure freaking Netflix ruin and everything again. But but you know, they buy all these properties.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: We'll see if somebody wants to sign on for it here. Yeah, your excitement for it would make we would do it for the podcast. So Jordon, if you're listening.
Speaker 1: And if you do a good job, make it a trilogy.
Speaker 2: There we go, There we go, And it's one of those ones that'll improve over time, because ironically enough, as we say, like, oh, I want a sequel, I'd probably go it around a four or four point five.
Speaker 1: For what I thought about this first, I was gonna give it. I was gonna give it a four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the ending was really cool, but it did not rescue the first seventy minutes or sixty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it was.
Speaker 3: I understand the need for it, but I don't think you needed all that. Would you watch this again? Yeah, with someone who's never seen it, I'd watch it by yourself.
Speaker 2: I'd watch it by myself because I feel like I would get more out of it the second time. I genuinely believe that, because now I know the characters. And again, I think I was invested enough.
Speaker 3: Watching it, like you could go back and look for little subtle things that would maybe clues that we didn't pick up on. Yeah, which this is. It's Vince Gilligan was just talking about this. He's got a new I think it's a series on Apple Plus with Racy. I can't remember what that's called, but he is talking about rewarding a smart audience, right, and I think he did that with I think he was surprised at how smart the audiences for Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul became. And this, I think you might go back and look and a smart audience might have picked up on certain stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A wink ahead nod exactly, a gesture like did you know? Do you know The Departed one something with a rat. I know there's there's an X in every scene when the main character is about to die. No, yeah, every single scene when like Leo DiCaprio's in the elevator with Matt Damon, there's an X right above his head made of tape or well shut up. Yeah, every single death is foreshadowed with an X on the screen moments before it's going to happen. And so it's a way to tell people that movie's twenty years old. And I found this out like two or three weeks.
Speaker 1: Again, I had never heard that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then conversely, other side of that coin, though, the reason why big time Game of Thrones fans who want the books, the reason they're not getting the books is because George R. R. Martin is on the record saying, when you spend twenty years of your life writing a book building towards the butler did it for a smaller audience, But then your audience balloons and millions of people around the nation are saying, oh, the Butler did it. You're now sitting there trying to rework you're twenty years of your life to try and go somewhere else other than the Butler did it, which I have found that fascinating. And so people sitting there, why does it take them so long get these books? It's because he's basically and to me, I say, you just write your story saying the Butler did it, because that just means you're a good storyteller if people picked up subtle clues.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I digress. But so it goes both ways.
Speaker 2: The um.
Speaker 1: Mini series with Jake Jillenhall is on Apple TV. I have Apple Infinity.
Speaker 3: Who is Chase Infinity who was in one battle after all the oh yeah, she was in this mini series about I think it's called wrongfully and that's not called wrongfully accused. Maybe it's just called a cube or proof presumed innocent. I think it's what it's called, and it's I think it's a remake on a on a British uh like mini series or whatever. But with something like that, you're you're constantly trying to figure out, same thing with the Night of Remember the Night of on HBOP You're constantly like, what happened?
Speaker 1: Who did this?
Speaker 3: And there's only so many paths you can go down, you know, to to try to figure out And I think presumed innocent was the same way, although I still think it caught some people off guard with who the quote unquote killer was. But this, uh, this, I think you can you can constantly because there's no butler in this. I mean, I guess there's kind of a butler, but but there's there's all these different storylines that that to me, are still hanging out there, storylines that you can't predict.
Speaker 1: You can just gas. Yeah. If you're an audience, you only.
Speaker 2: Have seven choices, so like inevitably, it's like predicting a sports I'm gonna get it. Yeah, Like it's the same idea. That's why to me, I actually I don't know what sent me off on the tangent on outside the box, but I started getting into sorry to bother you, and I said, that's an ending you can't guess, and I'm not spoiling it, like, oh, if I pay attention to the clues, it's it's random enough that if I gave you one hundred guesses, you would never know where the last third of that movie is going to go. That or this ending, I think is the future of good endings. Because I think I've told you this on the podcast, because I love fight clubs so much. I watch every movie from the lens of Ah, he's probably imagining half of that and until it is the yeah, I kind of go.
Speaker 1: Your cynicism comes in when you when you, oh, dude, that's nothing. I dated a girl. Have you ever seen Smoking Aces?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: With Ryan Reynolds when all the all the hit men are coming to kill what's his name, the dude who's the main character in Entourage, and he's Buddy Aces, and he's like, got all this in about uh you know Ari Gold, Jeremy Pivets. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's up there. He's got all this information about the mob. Like the first thirty seconds of the movie, the girl I was dating at the time looks at me and says, but if you haven't seen it, I don't want to say it because it's a it's a fucking but she got it right. She's just like, oh, this, this and that. I'm like, get the hell out of here. And that's how the movie ended. I'm like, how the hell thirty seconds into this movie did you figure how that out?
Speaker 1: What was her response?
Speaker 2: Because like the movie is giving you, like it's giving you an exposition dump and now that I know the ending I watch it, I'm just like, she just that smarter, that's stupid.
Speaker 1: How did I How did I get here? Because like, even watching it a second time, I'm like, would I pick up on this?
Speaker 3: Like, I don't see that's interesting that you watch it from from that where you're constantly trying to figure stuff out.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: I just I'm immersing myself. I just want to be the audience member that the tour expects, and naturally my curiosity will be peaked. I will start asking myself questions about certain characters, certain motives, certain the way something's shot, the way something's not shot, you know, stuff like that. But I let it happen naturally. I don't come in you know, with with you know, have with both both hands with guns pointed at the camera, you know, ready to be like pooh oh, I figured that out. Poot you know yeah, no, no, no, no, I'm just you are a aim first, maybe shoot right away. Yeah, I'm kind of like, let's talk, let's figure it out, and then when I'm ready to shoot, I'll shoot.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I never really thought about it, but if I had to psychoanalyze myself live in front of a microphone right now. I think it stems from how much I loved the original Scream as a ten year old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it's a who Done It? Right, you know?
Speaker 2: And also I was super scared watching that movie because I was ten, and I think trying to crack the who Done An element distracted me from how scared I was. And then you go and you watch, uh, I know what you did last summer? And then you see Urban Legend and you see all these slashers, Like there was a stream of who Done It?
Speaker 1: Slasher like teen slashers? Yeah, who Done It? Yeah. It was in the prime of my like getting acclimated to that kind of movie.
Speaker 3: And then now the next generation is experiencing it to a little bit, you know, with obviously some of the newer screens they brought back.
Speaker 1: I still know what you did last summer or whatever, blah blah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But but I mean at the same time, like, no, no, because you told me either you told me it sucked or you you knew it was gonna suck.
Speaker 1: And well, I'm not gonna waste my time.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go on another tangent. But Jesus, do you remember the original where they're drunk driving and they kill the guy. In this one, they're standing in the middle of the road and the guy swerves off the road and just drives into the lake. And I'm sitting there, I'm like, you could probably explain this one away, like there's no I was waiting for the extra in the faeryst thing that happened, and it never happened.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Like it's crappy Halloween. See if you're looking for something on Netflix that is good for Halloween, watch Until Dawn.
Speaker 1: Thrilled with that one Until Dawn Until Dawn go to premise that it's based on a video.
Speaker 2: Game from about ten years ago. It's basically if you've seen Happy Death Day, Like six or seven friends are in a house and a killer comes up and shows up to kill them, kills all of them in about four minutes, and then the whole day resets, and they are aware that the whole day resets all of them.
Speaker 1: And the whole point they knew they diet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they even have marks, Like one girl gets her face just stomped, and she wakes up and there's like very clearly like a red mark where she got stomped, and they have a finite amount of tries to live until dawn, and if they can't figure it out, then they're going to be part. There's like a guest book of all the people that fail out. It's very fun and you don't know if they're going to make it out or not. And that would be much better than anything we've talked about today in terms of I was gonna suggest it to you, except I already watched it like a while. I've actually seen it twice. It's very good.
Speaker 1: If you're looking, I'm madding it on my phone right now. Yeah, I remember that. Yeah, where's it on Netflix? Ne Flicks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it went to theaters though it was it was the whole deal. I didn't see it in theaters, and I'm kind of disappointed I didn't. There's a couple of a well tied.
Speaker 1: This just came out this year. Yeah, yeah, earlier in the year, like probably February or March.
Speaker 3: I oh, Peter Stormer is also in this game, yeah, or in this movie. It's also in the games in the game. Yeah, I do not know any of the other Yeah. The game's not even a game. It's basically like a choose your own adventure. It's like a very well animated movie in video game graphics with just terrifying monsters. I hate scary video games.
Speaker 2: But that's the one if you're looking for a good Halloween movie, because this will be going out on October thirtieth. Yeah, so if you're looking for a good Halloween movie, that's the one.
Speaker 1: My son wants to watch. My twelve year old son wants to watch Halloween with me on Halloween. And I don't know how I feel about seventy eight Halloween. Yeah, the actually original.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta you gotta watch that one. Yeah, that's that's basically like a haunted house. Like it's not even that'll get them acclimated. I've said this, Moll. I don't know if I've said it on the podcast, but if I did have kids, that's what I would do. I would show them the eighties, even though the twenty ten Friday the thirteenth sucks. It sucks, it's terrible. I would not suggest it to anybody. It's much scarier because they put more stuff on screen. Like if I were nine, that would screw with me a lot more than the original Nightmare on Elm Street. But that's what I grew up on, and that's why I'm not a baby with horror movies as an adult, and like, that's how I would acclimate kids to it if they were into it.
Speaker 1: So the nineteen seventy eight Halloween and.
Speaker 3: He doesn't scare easy, Yeah, And I think some like, you know, that's sort of like I mean, I don't say that's when horror movies took off, because you remember.
Speaker 1: All the stuff that Hitchcock did, oh yeah back in the day, which was really good. And then Rod Sterling, Rod Sterling and was it Serling or Sterling from Twilight Zone Sarling Sterling, all the horror that they came out with there too.
Speaker 3: This was well before and this is well before Friday the thirteenth, And that's psychological terror. Think I dig that more than the gore in the Slashing.
Speaker 2: But I love this conversation wrong because I always say, because the common refrain in this era is oh, you couldn't make you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today because of the times, that's true about anything I said. You couldn't make the original Halloween today. If you made the original Halloween right now, would be like, what the hell did you just show me. But I can acknowledge that it inspired, you know, like blah blah blah blah blah a billion different slasher movies. But it doesn't fit in today because it's just it hasn't evolved. And I actually find it this is sacrilegious to say, give me the first rob Zombie Halloween movie over the original Halloween movie any day of the week. I love that movie. I think it's well done and it hits on all the right points. But I can acknowledge what Halloween is. Show your kid Halloween right, he'll grow into a bit more well rounded adult.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, he's already behind the eight ball considering his father exactly. See if we can.
Speaker 2: You know what my mom's answer was why she would show me horror movies so young? She would tell her family members, I want him to grow up to be a thrill seeker. That's what it was, and to a certain extent, maybe not in all the ways she wanted it to happen right, to a certain extent, So I condone it. If you're listening to this, show your kid freaking scary movies. That's the best way to go here. We have like seven or eight different movies we can actually choose from. We're building up a little bit of of a list here, liboraror yeah. So I don't want to commit to anything here because we committed last week and we messed up.
Speaker 1: We did yeah or no. We left it up in the air because we were between two Yeah, what was the other one? Black Phone and Pogonia.
Speaker 3: Oh, we were deciding between Blackphone two and Pogonia. I think we were deciding between Bogonia and something else.
Speaker 2: I think it was black Phone, all right, because somebody, oh, the ticket taker told me that she actually enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, Well that's fine. Listen, there are some good films coming out. We're heading into award season. I get more amped up for that than I think.
Speaker 1: You do. You do, but this is sort of month which which was kind of lackluster for Yeah, we all feel that way. I've heard. I was listening to podcast today and uh fantasy football podcast with a Cinophile who hosts it, and he said he's totally he's seeing Bogonia Halloween night, and he's super amped for it because everybody's talked to everything he's read said, it's been like epic. Let's just commit, let's just commit.
Speaker 3: I don't want to commit to it because we can always add it later. Yeah, but we could do black Phone two, we could do Bogonia. I don't know what else is coming out. I do know that you and I are going to do now you see me?
Speaker 1: Now you don't? Yeah, sometime next month? Yeah running yeah, yeah absolutely, Yeah. Well let's should we leave it up. We'll just figure it out. Yeah okay, yeah, so well, well you'll know what we watched when you listen to episode twenty two. Yeah, off topic, wonderful