Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Sevedra. You're listening to kfi EM six forty the Fore Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. This is the Fore Report, where we celebrate food, you know, beverages, eating out, cooking at home. Reminding you that the very word companion, the root of it pan means bread. It means to break bread with somebody. And we're talking with people affected by the fires in January, not just ones that lost their homes that we are praying for, but because it's a food show, to those that either lost businesses or are finding didn't lose the structure, but are finding it hard to stay afloat when everybody's scattered everywhere because they can't be at home. Right now, we're talking with Teddy Seraphine Leonard. She's the owner of Real Inn. You must know it there in Malibu, seeing it as you drive the coast, which we are blessed in incredibly lucky to have here in southern California. It's the only thing worth the taxes, let's be honest. And I wanted her to talk a little bit more about the reel in because this is and has been an important part of the food scene and the comfort that food brings to southern California. Keep in mind you can find out more at reel in Malibu r e e l in Malibu dot com. There's a link there for a GoFundMe page that goes directly to the workers that have been working there for a long time. You said some like thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yes. In fact, two of the employees were there when my husband got the restaurant thirty seven years ago.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so they've been there longer than he has, and they're all sort of married to each other, and it's just it's kind of a unique story and that it is family.
Speaker 1: So you were telling one of the things that stood out that was very sweet to me, Teddy. You were talking about how, you know, the famous, the rich, we're standing next to surfers and you know, politicians and whatever, and food is the equalizer in that. I love that, you know, it's not a fancy place, but equalized everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh, it really did. And it was funny because we would also get people that were going to you know, large galas and Malibu and they'd say, oh, we're stopping here to eat first, because they just you know, have these little finger things at the gatherings and we want we want a plate full of food, and our crew we would have to kind of say, guys, you don't want to keep throwing food away. They would overheat people's plates like they were at their own home in Mohaka. You know, we tried everything this long now, like okay, two scoops of that and two scoops of that with this particular spoof. None of it worked. They just did it like it was their mother trying to fatten them up. Oh my gosh, it was hilarious. Yeah, we couldn't. That was one thing. And just everything was fresh. Everything was made on site every day. The fish was delivered fresh every single day, the same fish vendors that were delivering the Maestros and Novu and the other restaurants, same fish, not the same price when we solved it, but we didn't have table claws or waiters or any of that. But we had really good fresh fish. And they made up the chipotle sauce, they made up the salsa, they made up all the spices for the Cajun and they did that. We were laughing and I said, I'd love to get the recipes. We talked about doing a cookbook. And putting the recipes and raise more money for the crew, and you know, they would grab handfuls of spices and you can't really quantify that. So I was trying to find we need if we do a cookbook, we need to have actual measurements on what you put in. And that's not how I mean. It was all very It was very much like I said, a mom and pop place. People knew us, they knew our crew, our crew knew them, and everybody felt like they owned it. You know. That was one thing my husband loved. It's a culture he set up. This belongs to the community, and you know, people would walk in and decide with their group, oh we're going to move these tables over here and move those chairs over there, and you know, they would do whatever they wanted to do. They'd bring their dogs out on the patio on the weekends and it was just it was lovely to have that kind of culture and that kind of gathering place for the community. And I hope even if we don't do it, I hope someone else does. But our crew has all come back to us and said, look, we're going to you know, I said, I want you guys to get jobs because we don't know how long this is going to take, and I don't know how much more I can raise on the GoFundMe, And we've got a wait to see because our income obviously stopped when the restaurant shur down. And but they work for some of them, a couple of them. We have them coming up and doing yard work.
Speaker 3: For us, just to keep people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and paying and being able to pay them. All of our crew was legal. Over the years, we had helped them get their green cards and their citizenship. But still they're concerned with what's happening, and I'm concerned for people with what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're hearing a lot of that obviously, and that's been something that has been throughout the food industry for a long time. And as I said earlier on the show, if there's people you don't want here because they're bad, then there should be people that you do want here because they're good, and you know, and being able to decide and have a system is the best way and the reasonable way. Just one more moment here, Heaven forbid. But you guys deserve your time too. You put in a lot of love, so you deserve your time too and are allowed for that, and hopefully someone takes that legacy with your guidance, What do you want people to remember or think? What do you I know we right now go to really in Malibu dot com click the links of the GoFundMe to help pay for the workers. It's not going to you and your husband, it's going to your workers. But what do you want them to think about when they think about that neon sign of the you know, the fish jumping and something that we've seen in Malibu forever? What do you want them to remember and think.
Speaker 2: About the spirit of Malibu, the community of Malibu, and to Panga in the Palisades that if you go to I hopefully still on our Instagram or our website. Many many people came forward with so many stories that I'd say the first two days, three actually two weeks after it burning down, I found myself I can only read two a day because I would just start crying. I was so moved by what other people felt they had lost. I mean, I know what my husband and I lost, but it was more impactful to us that all these other the community lost. It was a community loss. And yeah, so if we get to rebuild. We're hoping our son Jack, my step son, my husband's son. Jack is in the food industry. We're trying to convince him to come down and maybe, you know, take the lead on this because he does manage restaurants in Seattle. But not sure, not sure. I mean, I don't know what's happening. And I feel very badly for the restaurants in Malibu. And if people your listeners get a chance somehow they get to Malibou, or that they take the one on one to Malibu Canyon and go over, there are wonderful restaurants that really need your patronage right now that are going through such a hard time. Their businesses are down by like eighty percent from last year, and ours burned down in a weird way. We were blessed we had insurance and you know, otherwise we would be going through our savings like we did during COVID. And I think that's something that if people go to the beach, it's lovely, you know, maybe not in the water, but look at.
Speaker 3: It, look at it, take pictures, don't stip in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm not The reports are great, but you know, there's some lovely places like oh see that. Just these these restaurants really they need they need us right now. It'd be nice to see people go out and patronize them.
Speaker 1: Well, it is my job to ring that bell every Saturday, and I'll continue to do it.
Speaker 3: My friend.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you that you came on and took the time. I know you've got a lot going on. Please keep us posted on any changes, and my producer and I will make sure that everybody knows what's happening. And if I can say, one last tip is to your steps on every time it's raining there and it's sunny here, calling, Oh my gosh, it's it's so beautiful right now. Oh it's raining. Oh my god, honey, that's so horrible it is. It's eighty five here right now. Well, oh why.
Speaker 3: Are you coming through your windows? Oh my god, that sounds horrible and then hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. Well he grew up here, so he knows what the weather's like here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remind him.
Speaker 2: Just god, you're right. Well, thank you so much for that, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Teddy A.
Speaker 1: Seraphine Leonard, owner of Real In and again you can find everything out at Real in Malibu dot com, Real in Malibu dot Com. It's the Fork Report on Neil Vidra KFI AM six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: What a day to day meeting interesting people that, although they're struggling, have powerful philosophies about what they do in the food industry. These are people affected by the fires in January, both in the Palisades and in to Dina and beyond that were kind of putting together a list. Even Towala I was connecting with and said, you know, give us some names, talk around the neighborhood, find out who's strugglings. We'll keep this going. And Kayla and I have been very focused and dedicated to making sure you know about these people that are affected by these things as well, and we'll keep doing it. But talking to Rudy from Grasias signor and talking to Teddy from Real In there in Malibu via the phone to hear her story thirty seven years ago or husband bought real In. We've all seen that stuff, telling stories about Beckham going in there and just I mean, and how it was an equalizer. You know, everybody who came in was the same. They didn't care if you were famous or not. And how you were getting the same cut, the same fish quality from the same people as high end white clothed linen cloth tables were getting and you weren't paying those prices for it. That's often the way it goes. It's often the way it goes. There are so many the more hands involved, the more things involved, is the costlier. It gets very inspired about those things. Also, Bill Handle got his big Green egg and he has been wanting it. His new wife, Lindsay, has said that he has not shut up about it for months because he was so excited. And then I hosted Handle at my house one day for lunch. I said, come over, I showed him mine, I cooked lunch for him, and the two of us just sat out on my front porch eating and talking about food and the techniques you can do with the big green egg and all of that.
Speaker 3: So he's excited.
Speaker 1: He decided that's what he wanted at his new place in Orange County, and so she sent me pictures of it and that he's super excited and it's just one of those interesting days where food and philosophy and what it means to us and why food is so powerful in our lives, those flavors and textures that put a smile on our face, the love that is created, you know, when somebody makes you food that makes it tastes better than if you were doing it yourself. So we still have more to come, and then we'll talk with Tiffany. Of course, Tiffany's coming aboard at five o'clock, so go know where. We'll be back with more. Let's get the latest news now in the KFI twenty four our newsroom.
Speaker 4: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: I got up at nine this morning, so I was like, I think I would have been at midnight though. It's one of those nights where my curious little artistic brain was going all over the place looking things up, materials to build with and all.
Speaker 3: Kinds of things.
Speaker 1: By the way, I would love for you to hang out with a us on social media at fork Reporter on Instagram at fork Reporter. We have a good time there. I put up memes trying to think bring people joy through there. Put up a picture of my wife and me on our wedding day. I love that lady. A bust of chops, but I love that lady, and she treats me like gold, and I hope she gets the same treatment in return. But we just had our seventeenth anniversary, so I put that up. And otherwise it's funny goofy stuff up there, always having a good time. And then if you're artistically inclined or you like art or building, if you're a maker or a creator or anything like that. My newest one is Savco Industries saa vco Industries on Instagram.
Speaker 3: And that's just things I do at my shop.
Speaker 1: And I have a small business where I do promotional light and some light fabrications, some props and stuff like that. But it's not really not it's not open to the public currently or I don't sell the public or anything like that. But I ended up using that name because I already had it, So I'm not selling anything on there, at least not at this point. I've talked to friends about doing opening up to some things, but right now it's just like, hey, look I made this for my son, or I'm doing this or working on a project, and I'd love for you to check that out if you have time as well at savcosaa VCO Industries dot com. And I like, you know, Star Wars and building things. I like Halloween and decorating for the holidays and all kinds of stuff. So you want to do that or you just want to see that different side of what I do when it's not involved with food.
Speaker 3: Or the show.
Speaker 1: Check that out, all right, Texas wants to ban well, there's a Texas bill rather that wants to rename the New York Strips at stake to Texas strip I know, we're still dealing with Gulf of America and all that stuff. So this is an interesting one because ultimately it's like anything else, it's rare, but there are still new cuts of meat that are come across. You know, the animal is fabricated and to the best of the ability to use every single part of the animal. That's the way to do it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I have this conversation with my son last night. We were at BJ's. I know, fancy right for our seventeenth anniversary, but we want to do something as family and we like Bjy's and it's a fun atmosphere, so we went out there in Glendale by the Americana, and we had a wonderful, wonderful evening. It was packed and there's a good vibrant crowd there of different types of people and young and old and everything else. But my son had never had bone in wings, you know, because kids say everything is a chicken tender or a nugget.
Speaker 3: And I said, I want you to have these. I want you to try them.
Speaker 1: There's a cartoon he watches where that they're obsessed with wings. And he tried them and he enjoyed them, and he, you know, he was like, this is fantastic, this is really wonderful, and really enjoyed them. And you think, well, this is an animal. And he goes, this is from the animal, right, from a chicken. And I said, yeah, and that's why the bones are here, and explain that. And he asked a bunch of questions and I told him, I said, if you're going to take the life of an animal out of respect, you use all of it, every little piece you can, even the bones for making your stock or doing what you use everything you can. And so we come up with new cuts on a rare occasion. But basically you're parsing the animal and fabricating it down to certain parts and certain cuts that are well known. Now as far as the history of these cuts, you get you kind of name them when you can trace them back to a person or a place and this was its origin.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I suppose you can call a margarita whatever you want, you know, but it's like, at what point, you know, do I care if someone calls it a Texas steak?
Speaker 3: I don't, Well, I know what the hell it is.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to say it's a New York strip because that's what it is to me when I see it. If I saw that cut raw in a package without a label on it, I'd go, that's a New York strip right there. And that just makes it easier. In some areas, something's a regional. What was the thing that you said was the Pittsburgh medium.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Pittsburgh medium steak, And what is that described to people? Don't know? That's how I like my stake prepared. Is really charred on the outside and then medium slash rare on the inside.
Speaker 1: So that's a regional thing. Now, there are things I was telling you in the Latino community, Mexicans in particular a lot of times like it's super charred on the outside, and when you're growing up, depending if you came straight from a Latin America, you probably want it well done because you didn't trust the meat necessarily. So, you know, as people are here in the States more and more, then they switch to chart on the outside and medium on the inside. But there's all these different things that are regional, and sometimes the names may be different. There are you know, flank steaks, flap steaks. There's all kinds of different names, and sometimes there's different names for the same cut.
Speaker 3: So it does happen.
Speaker 1: And depending on where you are, if you're buying in a certain butcher or a certain a marketplace, it might be called something different. This seems like just a marketing thing. You know, you could call it whatever you want. You can say it's a Texas steak, and then beneath it say a specially prepared New York strip whatever. So I don't know if this is gonna go anywhere as to what this means, but trying to get it to immortalize, you know, a new name when it's been New York State steak for so long.
Speaker 3: I'm curious as how.
Speaker 1: This is is going to play out, but we shall see another battle that is heated and technically means nothing. It's the Fork Report on Neil Viadra KFI AM six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I am your well fed host, Neil Savedra, Thanks for hanging out today.
Speaker 3: King Ding Dong.
Speaker 1: Hot Dog can take thirty minutes off your life. Here's the deal. We're dying, man, from the minute we're born. We're dying. Second low thermodynamics can't escape it. The complexity of things are winding down. We're getting simpler, not more complex. It's just sorry. That's how it works. Everything you do exhausts your last breath. I mean, everything you do is taking from your life, source from your whatever bag, your human battery. The same study said that eating a handful of peanuts, salted peanuts, I think one of them said, will give you twenty five minutes back of your life.
Speaker 3: Okay. The truth of the matter is there are things.
Speaker 1: Nutrition is nutrients are nutrients are nutrients. We've said this on the show a million times. It sees nutrients. It sees protein. It doesn't see a candy bar, it doesn't see a salad. It's not how your body works. Doesn't care what it is. It takes the nutrients it can and it uses them. The problem comes down to when we doctor up things. It becomes highly processed foods. We've talked about this a bazillion times. Once they become processed that we put nitrates, We put all kinds of things in, and so the good you know, meat, even a hot dog has B twelve, it has things in it that are good for you, that are nutrients. It'll pull those out. It's the bad stuff, and the good outweighs the bad. Bad outweighs the good. We're trying to balance these things out. But what this very study does that people don't.
Speaker 3: Talk about.
Speaker 1: Is it proves that balancing these things and eating a variety is the key.
Speaker 3: Because if it takes thirty.
Speaker 1: Six minutes off your life here and then adds twenty five minutes on your life here, supposedly really hard thing to calculate, by the way, and not a very fair study, but it's got a sexy headline and everybody wants to talk about it that it's just about balancing things out, because what you'll see is that most people die about on average the same unless there's something that just breaks down, and that's going to be genetic. It's just there's going to be some things. Just like they have cars that are lemons men, some of us just get a raw deal in something and it doesn't age the general number and we go early.
Speaker 3: Can food exacerbate that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm not stupid, but food doesn't cause the same amount of problems that people might think that it does. We found that out, like with cholesterol, that food cholesterol doesn't affect your actual cholesterol the same as we thought it once did. It doesn't mean it doesn't at all. But I think you'd be surprised to learn. I'm a big guy. I'm over two hundred pounds. I'm a big guy. I host a food show that makes it does not mix well with my eating, my emotions, bad combination. But I have fantastic cholesterol, both good and bad. And I bet you I could put myself up against a vegetarian and people might be surprised. That's gonna be in my genetics. That's gonna be something that I lucked out on. And other people didn't other things will get me that don't get others. So balance things out and then hopefully you, you know, get a little bit of those peanuts with a little bit of the hot dogs, and everybody's happy. Maybe that's why they sell peanuts and hot dogs at like venues like Dodger Stadium. Balance us out here, you get some peanuts, give you twenty five minutes back. All right, folks, thanks for hanging out today. Be kind to each other. We genuinely are in this together. We really are. Whether we like it or not. We can't go to Mars on our own. We're together. Let's try and get through all this stuff in the best way possible. Stop being an a hole, aunt. We gotta hold things together. Be kind and empathetic, and I'll catch you on the flip side tomorrow during the Jesus Show starting at six am. I'll be producing you be up to This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five p m on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.