Speaker 1: Welcome to Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Mike Ergo. He is a US Marine Corps veteran who served in the Iraq War, including the Second Battle of Fallujah in November and December two thousand and four. In today's conversation, Mike will discuss his preparation for battle, offer vivid detail of house to house fighting against enemy insurgents, and the difficulty of losing very close friends during the course of the battle. But we begin at the beginning of his story out west.
Speaker 2: I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, and raised in Walnut Creek, California.
Speaker 1: And had there been a history of military service in your family.
Speaker 2: I have a grandfather, my maternal grandfather, who's in the Korean War in the Navy. I don't know him very well, so in my immediate family there's no military service. It was an unfamiliar territory for me.
Speaker 1: Why did you decide to join the service and why did you choose the Marines.
Speaker 2: Growing up, my grandfather, my paternal grandfather, knew a lot of World War Two Marines and would tell me stories about them and the Marines and the World War two and how they fought in the Pacific, and I became enamored with that and just the idea of service. I also grew up as an evangelical Christian, and so I would go and do acts of service in spring break and through the summer in different countries to help build houses, and the idea of service really stuck with me. And my senior year of high school, I realized I didn't want to go to college like all of my peers. I came from a pretty affluent city and everyone was going to Ivy League or University of California schools or top schools. Didn't have that same drive to continue my education. And I realized that I could join the military. And for me, it wasn't even about joining just the military, it was specifically the Marine Corps and I did that. Initially. I joined to be the Marine Corps band, and you know, made quite the career change, you know, very early on, but it's how I started. I auditioned with my saxophone and passed, and you know, entered the Marine Corps planning to be a musician.
Speaker 1: Now you joined in two thousand and one, correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, I joined in two thousand and one. Spring of two thousand and one, I joined joined the delayed entry program, and went to boot camp in October of two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Here's the most important question about this. Alto or, tenor sacks.
Speaker 2: Tenor sacks, Okay, yeah, tenor and baritone?
Speaker 1: Nice, you got the big ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so you mentioned that you enlisted in the spring of two thousand and one. Obviously it's just a few months after that that the nine to eleven attacks happened. Just about everything changes. At what point did you decide that you needed to shift to infantry.
Speaker 2: I had inklings early on in boot camp that I wanted to change right after nine to eleven. I was wanted to do anything other than being the band. I just remembered wanting to fight for the country, and I just had this ping all along that I needed to do something different, that I didn't feel comfortable myself. I didn't feel comfortable playing the saxophone stateside while Marines were going to be deployed overseas, and eventually, while I was in the school of Music in Little Creek, Virginia at the base there, I asked if I could be disenrolled from the school and transferred to the Infantry, and they were happy to meet my needs there.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like going through those weeks of basic training maybe changed your mindset a little bit?
Speaker 2: I think it did. I really enjoyed the time in the field. I really enjoyed learning infantry skills, even the little mounts that we learned to boot camp and being outdoors, being with the guys doing what I felt was real Marine Corps stuff, And I realized that that wouldn't be part of my life. It would be heavily garrison life and wearing a dress and service uniforms instead of camouflage.
Speaker 1: So once you shifted to the infantry, where were you assigned?
Speaker 2: Once I got switched over the infantry, I got sent to Camp Geiger, North Carolina. And it was interesting because I'd done bringing combat training the non infantry school version in San Diego and Camp Pendleton, and so now I got to do the full infantry school, but in North Carolina this time. And so I spent the summer there learning more infantry tactics and being outdoors, getting bit by mosquitoes and ticks and everything else.
Speaker 1: And then what did they do with you?
Speaker 2: I get a signed to the Camp Lejoun. The funny part of that was they told us, all right, gents, listen up, you're going to be assigned either to somewhere in Hawaii or Camp Pendleton. So I said, great, and you know it's a win win situation there. And then next thing I know, I'm taking a bus around the corner to Camp La June. So it was very fitting and it got me used to how things change in the military.
Speaker 1: What additional training did you do at Lea June before deploying at Lajune?
Speaker 2: But before deploying the first time in two thousand and three, we did a lot of urban combat training. We did a lot of patrolling, We did a lot of direct action and ambush. We did a lot of training on amtraks and amphibious vehicles. And I remember one thing in particular we did. We did the nuclear, biological and chemical training. And I was the newest guy to the unit of my patoon, and so when they found that out, they said, okay, you're the designated guy. And I asked what that meant, and they said, well, if we get a gas attack and we're not sure if it's all clear, then you know you're going to hand off your rifle and we're gonna take your gas mask off and just observe you. Okay, so you're gonna watch me to make sure you know if I if I die or not. And they're like, yeah, you're not important to the mission. You're the newest guy. And I just I said okay, and then it's it's sunk in. And that night I went out in town. I got a tattoo that says expendable across my back. Just I had to laugh about it because you know, it was either laugh or cry, and I chose to laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was either that or we'll look around for your saxophone again exactly.
Speaker 2: So what do you get myself into?
Speaker 1: So when did you deploy to Iraq?
Speaker 2: Employed deployed to Iraq the first time. It was March fourth, two thousand and three. We left on ship and we took the We're on the USS Carter Hall LSD fifty and we we flew into Moses, Iraq that spring after the initial invasion had already happened. And you know, we guarded the airport for a few weeks and nothing remarkable happened. And in fact, I didn't fire a single shot that first deployment. And I remember when we came back just talking to friends and you know who were in my platoon and saying, man, we missed Iraq, we missed Afghanistan. Both these wars are over now, and how do we miss out on two wars? And we obviously didn't know what was to come?
Speaker 1: What kind of training did you focus on before the second deployment?
Speaker 2: Before the second deployment, we focused on what they called stability and Support Operations or SASSO, and we were really just planning to be more like diplomats and go around make sure while the rebuilding effort in Iraq was taking place, that we could interface with the population and talk to the Iraqis and make sure their needs were getting met while we provide security for the workers to rebuild the infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Was there any sort of urban combat training?
Speaker 2: We did urban combat training too, and that was my favorite part. I was hoping we'd get to use it as a you know, young naive. What was I a twenty one year old at that time? And so we did we did. We did our infantry training and combat training still and that was the norm for us. So it wasn't like I guess we focused a little bit more on urban combat. But I think in the back of our minds, we are being told we probably wouldn't use it, and so we were planning on just going to Iraq and you know, shaking hands at people and.
Speaker 1: So thinking about heading over for the first deployment and then the second one. Certainly the second time, it sounds like you thought it was going to be a fairly simple, uh deployment. But even on the first one, were there any particular thoughts that that you remember about I'm heading into a war zone here.
Speaker 2: We were getting sent over to yeah, be part of the war. I just remember thinking, I've done all this training, but I'm not sure I feel completely ready, because I was nervous, and I was I think more than anything, I was really worried about letting my guys down. That's the most important thing to me. Getting hurt, getting killed, Yeah, that was concerned. But I didn't want to let my guys down. I didn't want to be a liability, and I didn't want to have anyone else get hurt because of me, And so that was the first first.
Speaker 1: Thing on my mind. By the time you're deploying the second time, how would you describe the bond within your platoon.
Speaker 2: By the second time we deployed, I was now one of the senior Marines in our platoon. And I've been through a deployment with the guys, my contemporaries, the other corporals and Sarzans and really close, really close, especially with a guy named Todd Godwin, and he deployed with us. He was part of my platoon for the first deployment and then he changed over and he's part of the Scott sniper platoon afterwards. And when I showed up to my unit, I was one of two guys. Everybody had formed their friends, and so I was the lowest of the low and I really nobody wanted to be around me. I was. I was the guy that even the boots, the young guys you know, looked to do the working parties and you know, give the most flock too. So I felt like I really earned the friendships I had and proved myself and really enjoyed being around the guys. So by the time we were ready for the second deployment, I felt good about everybody around me, and I felt good about the you know, the Marines that were under my care too, and the guys. We spent a lot of time together I remember part of our training in the garrison too was you know, sometimes we'd go to lunch together and that was that was we were ordered to do that so we'd get to know our guys better. And at the time I didn't appreciate it, but you know, looking back, it helped me get a lot closer to these guys. And I was never a fan of getting hazed, and I was never a fan of you know, a lot of the I felt like a necessary punishments and stuff. So I held my guys to a strict standard. But I leveled them and talk with them just you know, man and man, marine and marine, and see what I could do to be a good leader for them. And I felt like my team was as close as any that we had in platoon.
Speaker 1: That's Mike Ergo, a US Marine Corps veteran of Iraq, including the brutal Second Battle of Fallujah in late two thousand and four Still to come. Ergo walks us through his role in the battle in riveting an honest detail and the toll the intense combat inflicted upon him for several years after that. But up next, Ergo explains his leadership role as a team leader in his platoon and getting the signal to go into battle. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veteran Chronicles.
Speaker 2: Sixty seconds of Service.
Speaker 3: This sixty seconds of Service is presented by T Mobile. T Mobile offers exclusive discounts for a veteran and military families and are proud supporters of the National Defense Network. Visit t mobile dot com slash military to learn more about how they support our military community. Last Saturday, the Hamilton, Indiana County Veterans Corps held a breakfast that may help shape the future for military veteran communities in Hamilton County and beyond. Five American Legion and two VFW posts in the county held an open discussion with several nonprofit military service connected organizations so that they may all start working together as they move into the future.
Speaker 2: This event will hopefully tear.
Speaker 3: Down those walls and allow each organization to be a part of one voice, working together to make Hamilton County the place to be for veterans. Today's sixty seconds of Service is brought to you by Prevagen. Prevagen is the number one pharmacist recommended memory support brand. You can find Prevagen and the Vitamin Aisle in stores everywhere.
Speaker 1: This says Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Mike Ergo. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War and the Second Battle of Fallujah in November and December two thousand and four. We now pick up his story as Ergo explains how his company prepared for the battle, how he found out the battle was definitely going to happen, and what it's like to get the order to go. But first he explains his role as a team leader inside his platoon.
Speaker 2: So, as a team leader, I was directly under the command of my squad leader, Sergeant Martinez. And as a team leader, I was charged with taking care of three others. So I had my appointment, my sagunner and the assistant sawgunner, So three guys under me. And so, you know, especially in urban combat, it meant that we'd have a very unique experience because a lot of the battle was fought squad at the squad level, you know, thirteen guys at a time, and so it was my responsibility ability to make sure that they had different fields of fire covered, you know, you know, if they were hurt, of course, you know, make sure they get care, but you know, placing them where they needed to go in the stack, and we're kicking open doors and sometimes clearing buildings just with four guys, and so I had to coordinate all that movement.
Speaker 1: At what point after you got to Iraq on the second deployment did you start to get wind of there's probably going to be a second battle of Fallujah and we're probably going to be part of it.
Speaker 2: I think even going into the deployment, we had seen the news coverage of the contractors who were dragged to the streets of Fallujah and in April during the first battle of Fallujah, and so I think it would be inaccurate if I said going into it, we didn't have an inkling that we might be part of something to fight a battle there again. And so it felt like forever that we were, you know, sitting around or not sitting around, patrolling around the desert looking for these phantoms that shoot mortars and disappear, and it didn't feel like maybe until a couple months in that we really started there was starting me in a buzz that we might be going to Flujah whispers here and there, and you know, we spent part of July down there, but never going inside the city. So a lot of the deployment experience was we think something big is going to happen, and maybe we would show up to a city and patrol it and nothing would happen, and so build ups and let downs and boredom. And so I think it was even when you heard we might be going in Fallujah, the myself and others were skeptical.
Speaker 1: When did it become super real obvious that you were headed in.
Speaker 2: It became very real in September of that year that when we headed down to Camp Fallujah and we're told, look, something's going to happen. We're going to be part of something. It's important that you don't communicate this to people, and it's important that we know we keep opsec and we don't let people know, don't telegraph our movements here. And so they're being very cautious about like what we'd say back home, not censoring us, but just telling us, like, look, something's going to happen. More to come, We're going to do a lot of training, and so we kind of read between the lines that we're probably going to assault the city of Fellujah, especially in October when we were you know, at Camp Fallojia doing drills and practicing things and doing you know urban combat, you know training.
Speaker 1: And so when did you get the briefing on not only that we're doing this, when we're doing this, and what your role is your platoon?
Speaker 2: I think, as I remember, it was pretty close to the actual start of the operation that we got briefed. You know, we felt like we were training, training, training, waiting for something to happen, just kind of like in the queue, and then finally like we got the word, hey, we're going in soon. You know, make sure stuff's packed or stuff's ready, everything's you know, squared away and good to go. You guys are ready. So it didn't feel like maybe but a week or two before, as I remember it, that it really became real, like we're going now, it's going to happen. But yeah, it was. It was such a big build up.
Speaker 1: At this point. You've been in the core for about three and a half years, and as you mentioned, there hadn't been much of any combat that you've seen at that point. You know, going in here, it's going to be very likely a different story. What's going through your mind at that point.
Speaker 2: In my mind before we went into the city of Fellujah, I started to think, Okay, it's good possibility and I'm gonna come I'm not gonna come out of this, and it's good possibility. People I know were gonna get hurt and killed. And I couldn't help but look around and look at my friends and kind of guess like, who could it be? Like who's who's it going to be? Is that that gets hurt or gets killed? And you know, what's what's this going to be? Like? It's it's not gonna be as it is now. After and there was there was some concern about dying, but like the first deployment, I was more focused on, Okay, now I have, you know, a small but significant leadership position as a team leader, and I was just very concerned that I make sure my guys get out safely and that I'm a good leader for them. Failing them was the biggest fear. Failing the guys I had my charge, the biggest fear I had, more than death or getting hurt.
Speaker 1: What's it like when you get that ghost signal?
Speaker 2: I remember thinking, well, we're going into combat. This is the real deal, you know, having the doubts am I ready? Will I freeze? Will I wimp out in front of my guys? You know, will I do something that gets them hurt or killed? And I think the fear that I might fail my guys really helped me to step up and face those those moments as we're going in, because what I knew without being communicated explicitly, is that the bearing that I had and my ability to remain as calm as possible with these guys would help them remain calm in order for them to do their job. And so where if it had been just me there, you know, I might have freaked out a little bit more, you know, but I had to maintain appearances so my guys could say as calm as possible and be ready.
Speaker 1: That's Mike Ergo. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War. He served in the Second Battle of Fallujah in November and December two thousand and four. When we come back, Ergo tells us about the start of the battle for his unit, the first sign of significant resistance, and the difficult house to house fighting throughout the battle. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles. This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Mike Ergo. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War, including the Battle of Falluja in November and December two thousand and four. In a moment, you'll hear Ergo describe house to house fighting to clear out enemy insurgents. But we now continue with his story of the Battle of Fallujah as he explains how the fight started. For him.
Speaker 2: We went into the city under the covered darkness, and it was loud, lots of gunfire all around, seeing tracers go overhead, and you were assaulting the city and amtraks, you know, these amphibious vehicles that you know, we're just right around the desert with and we don't know exactly where we're going. In my mind, I mean, we're just making turns in a city and eventually they're going to let us out. The ramp drops. I'm the first one to get out of our vehicle and I run down the ramp and immediately I get a step and a half and I trip and fallow my face and before I can even be embarrassed about, you know, like this is my grand entrance in a combat and I fall on my face. I'm like, you know what I trip over, you know, felt like a you know, a sack of grain or something. I look and it's a dead insurgent. I tripped over lying there with you know, one arm shot off, and it's like, very very quickly a step and half into combat, a Mario faced, you know, with death right there right in my face. Literally, I get up and you know, brush myself off, make sure my weapon's still there, and you know, get everyone else off. It didn't really skip a beat, you know, it's like you follow you get up, I mean, following a lot of times and training, you got to get up and continue the mission. So make sure my guys were okay, and then we started patrolling out.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the next morning then, Lieutenant Barnes describes it as all hell broke loose as you guys were at the Mayor's complex. Explain what was happening and how you guys responded.
Speaker 2: What I remember about that first morning of daylight is hearing the mosques and the call of prayer from these mosques around the city being echoed. And instead of just the call the prayer, it was like there were these very intense discussions or very intense you know speech. He's coming out of these mosques and asking our interpreter Sammy, like, hey, what are they saying. They're like, well, the basics are that this is your time to come and fight and kill the Americans. They're here, and it's your duty, you know, for jihad. And so we're hearing this coming out of these mosses of very intense speeches, and you know, we're getting fire from different directions. You know. I'm I'm on the ground watching, you know, RPGs go over my head and explode into buildings and trees. I'm seeing people blocks away running across the street back and forth closer to us, you know, bounding. I think the most poignant moment of that early morning was a group of women and some kids walking towards us, and they have these white flags are waving, and I was telling them, you know, to come come over here to us, you know, because our protocol was civilians in the battle area, get them behind us and get them to safety and get them out of the crossfire. And the look on these women's faces, they were terrified. So I said, good, we'll get them out of the battle space right here. Get them in the middle of the marriage complex. You know, there's a lot of walls around. We can get them food, water, everything else. Get in place to sit down. And there was these men behind them, directing them almost with their hands, with their hands on their backs, telling them where to go. And they were using these poor women to maneuver around the city. And I thought, okay, well, if you use the white flag, you have to come towards us. And so in my mind I thought, well, technically we can start shooting. I wasn't about to start shooting women, not even close. And we watched helplessly and as these people were moved from one building to the next, and these guys behind him with these just crazed look is the best way I can describe it. To have them under control and just trying to weigh the consequences, you know, Okay, I didn't murder women and children. Good check. Also, what are these guys going to do now they have the drop on us from somewhere else. We allowed them to maneuver, and so that was when the battle space became less black and white and more of a gray shade of like, Okay, sometimes there's not a right or wrong decision we can make. It feels like it's not very clear. And so that was the first first step into that kind of gray zone of like, well, do the best we can.
Speaker 1: They think they were surveilling you and gathering intel basically on your position.
Speaker 2: I think that these guys knew are rules of engagement and that we would likely not shoot the women and know I will never be able to prove this. But when we lost Lieutenant Malcolm on the roof, the fire came from towards the buildings where these guys maneuvered to I mean, that was the first time I felt I guess what I call now is survivor's guilt. It's just this never ending loop in my head. As long as we had a downtime of okay, Lieutenant Malcolm, who used to be our platoon commander before Lieutenant Barnes, a man who I knew as well as and listened, guy, I could know, you know, an officer there was shot and killed. And did I fail them? Right there? Did what I do fail them? And not be able to find a clear answer, and then also having to set that aside because you're getting briefed. Hey, next morning, we're moving out, we're crossing Route fran into deeper into the city, push south, and so having to have it wasn't the first person we lost, you know, earlier in the deployment, we'd lost my best friend Todd Godwin, who killed by an ID in July twentieth, two thousand and four. And so having to compartmentalize grief and then walk back into you know, being a leader and leading men into operations. You know, being able to compart my compartmentalize my feelings and go back into combat wasn't new, but it was. It was like, well, I guess the whole thing about this later, and but we we have to move on with there's more stuff to do.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the order was given to that the next morning we're moving out. We're going to cross the frame, the highway that divides Fallujah. What was the plan to do that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the exact plan, other than we were going to We're going to have a lot of artillery and support of fire, basically fire a big barrage at some of the bigger buildings across the street, and under that cover we'd maneuver across the highway and into an alley way or a street going north to south, and so we'd use that cover of heavy fire to move and then just start kicking indoors one by one all the way down the rest of the city there. So we knew, okay, yeah, we had our initial entry into the Maris complex and you know we did that. But this is where the real urban combat of like clearing houses starts, and this is where you know, the casualties might start piling up because you know we're gonna have to kick open doors where people are waiting for us.
Speaker 1: Is that the location known as Haji Alley.
Speaker 2: This is yeah, what we called Hajji Alley. It was uh yeah, pretty intense.
Speaker 1: Explain how you went about clearing the houses.
Speaker 2: So to clearhouse first, we had to clear the courtyard card of the house. So a lot of these houses had gates and you know gated yards, and so we'd open the gate, either kick it open or use the latch. Sometimes you can just open the door. So we'd open that. You scan the courtyard, you know, both the corners, make sure nobody was trying to get the drop on us. There. We'd stack up on the door and as quickly as possible, I would take turns with my point man of going in first, and I just I didn't feel right about always having my point man going first, and I wanted to show my guys I was invested in this too. And so by the by a squad or by team, we'd stack up on a door, you know, on one of the sides of it, someone from the rear would kind of we'd call it bumping, you know, you bump the person in front of us, and then they know to kick the door open. And then we'd enter the room in the space inside the house, trying to scan all the different corners up and down, left to right to make sure that people weren't hiding waiting to shoot us. And so we'd trained on this day in, day out, so we didn't have to figure out more than what the variables of how big the room was, you know, in terms of everyone knew where they were going based on where they were on that stack. Especially at the team level of just the four of us.
Speaker 1: It was a well oiled machine.
Speaker 2: Felt like a pretty well oiled machine. And yeah, we'd kick open the door, look around if there's someone in there, and start shooting. First day, we didn't encounter anybody in the houses, I cleared anybody alive and so we weren't shooting people. So we'd clear from the bottom up to the top and sometimes hold firm or a whole position on a rooftop and wait to maneuver from there.
Speaker 1: For the insurgency you did face, how would you describe them as fighters?
Speaker 2: A lot of the insurgents we faced, some of them were pretty brazen. I remember about that first day is there were these guys, you know, with bandoliers and Ammo and either pkam machine guns or RPKs or AK forty seven's or RPGs shooting at us. But some of the guys would jump in the middle of the street, fire a big barrage of fire, and then jump back in the cover. And what was really eerie is I would see some of these guys, you know, take fire themselves as we were shooting back at them, and they get hit a few times, and some would continue to run like almost they were like they were hopped up in some kind of drug where they could withstand that and keep going. And so it spooked us out a little because we're like, we're hitting them and they're not falling, And that started getting our heads a little bit. But I remember feeling a mix of emotions towards these men we were fighting against. One is, I was fundamentally against what they stood for, and I was still angry one that, you know, people on their side had killed my best friend, Todd Godwin. They'd taken Lieutenant Malcolm away from us, and you know, and what they stood for was against my belief system, and so I was. I was angry about that. But at the same time, you know, I had to admit that I had some respects for their willingness to fight. You know, just like a you know, maybe a boxer or UFC would kind of respect their opponents and touch gloves at the beginning. It's like, Okay, we're fighting. We're we're both fighting here. These are our roles, and so I respect the level of commitment they had in that way. It's I couldn't describe that at the time as a young twenty one year old. You know, this only reflections of a guy who's had twenty years to think about it.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about the Alamo, what that was and the type of combat that was happening there.
Speaker 2: Uh, the Alamo was a three or four story building. I think three story building in the middle of a large field, and I remember assaulting this towards the objective there to take this house, and there's nobody inside it. We went firm. We held our position there for a day and calm at first. And then my squad and I were on the roof of this building and we took fire from a couple of different directions, you know, from I believe the west, across the route Henry, and from the south. From from it felt like we're taking fire from everywhere, you know. I think what was happening was we were, you know, trying to figure out where we were and how to best hit us, and you know, all hell breaks loose eventually. What I remember two big moments for me. There were scanning across the street looking to my west, and a brick exploding under my hand. I thought for sure, you know, I supporting my rifle in my left hand, and I thought for sure I lost a finger or something. But miraculously nothing was there. Just this brick was no longer there, and I had no bullet in me, And I said, you know what, that was a single shot, well aimed, just missed me. I'm going to take a break so I sat down. I had a cigarette and kind of had to, you know, breathe out that, you know, adrenaline rush of almost getting shot right there. So I have one one cigarette and then I get back up my friend Nate Fox, who's sitting right beside me there, Hey, you want another cigarette? And for whatever reason, I mean, I was a chainsmoker back then, I said no, thank you. You know, I'm good. I got back up on the wall. Next thing I know, there's a woosh, bricks explode and I'm and then it all goes black and putting the pieces together later, I mean, we'd just been hit by an RPG and I was knocked and conscious by it. And the best way I can describe it, it was very similar to the beach scene and Saving Private Ryan, where Tom Hanks's character, you know, there's a blast and he can't hear anything, and then slowly it starts to come in and you can hear them saying we got to get out of here, you know, we got to move. And you know, I couldn't make up or down or left or right, and I just knew I was looking up and I had no idea what had happened. And then all of a sudden, you know, my vision starts to expand. It's no longer tunnel vision. I started to be able to hear sounds, and all of a sudden, it's a full fledged gunfight, and I'm hearing Sergeant Leo, Sergeant Billy Leo yelling he just got hit. I don't know how bad, but he's grabbing his leg. Nate Fox is right there grabbing his shoulder. And I was looking around, so I see Leo. Yeah, I drag him off the roof, get him so we can get a meta backed. And I was doing that before I really knew what I was doing. It was almost like I was watching my body move and drag him off the roof. And you know, it was just the training set in, and so it was very confusing, to say the least way to wake back up. You know, my belt was wrung, I was concussed. It was very confusing, you know. I remember bits and pieces of it. This building we started we called the Alamo that day because it felt like we're making, you know, our last stand, like Davy krocking and everybody just getting blasted. I was in a room downstairs, probably on the second or third floor, facing the West, and it seemed like just non stop. Every every few minutes, another RPG hitting the side of the building there, and I remember just getting my belt rung again and again. It's just concussion, concussion, concussion, the air tasting almost like if he chew up an aspirin as the residue from an RPG. And I just remember that being a distinct century experience, and not being able to hear, and just being you know, agitated, angry, you know, because we're just getting blasted and there's nothing we can do.
Speaker 1: That's Mike Ergo, a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War and the Second Battle of Fallujah in late two thousand and four. Up next, Ergo explains how he became resigned to the fact he would die there and how that actually freed him to do his job well, and he describes the devastation of losing platoon mate Bradley Faircloth. That's next. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles. This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is US Marine Corps veteran Mike Ergo, who is sharing his story of service in the second Battle of Fallujah during the Iraq War in late two thousand and four. In a moment, Ergo describes the of losing another close friend and the impact that had on his platoon. But first he explains how they finally got away from the Alamo and moved on to the next objective.
Speaker 2: I remember, I think it was that night or very early the next morning, under the cover of darkness. Again, we patrolled, I believe it was east a few blocks to another building, and as we left, you know, every time, we're expecting to get hit, because a lot of us were shell shocked, Like I remember hearing the definition of being shell shocked, you know, from studying World War One, especially, like what does that even mean? And my slight taste just slight, nothing compared to those guys, But of getting hit with RPG after RPG after RPG that day, I understood what shell shock meant, of a taste of it. And so as soon as we stepped out of that building, I'm like, we're just going to get shot. We're going to get shot. And I remember feeling very afraid and my mood was very low, just feeling dark, like hopeless. Nothing happened. We didn't have to move that far to the next building, where we ended up sleeping the next night and setting up on that day. But we weren't ready. I wasn't ready. I wasn't mentally prepared after that, you know, I was. I felt like I was.
Speaker 1: Almost out of the game well in our remaining time. I certainly want to get your thoughts on what was probably the toughest day of the battle for your platoon, and that's the loss of Bradley Faircloth around Thanksgiving. Where were you as that happened and how do you remember that whole situation unfolding.
Speaker 2: I was an overwatch with my team when brad Faircloth was killed, and he was in a building, in a house that I had personally cleared three times, because after we pushed from north to south in the city, we'd go and start back clearing the houses because we knew these guys moved around, they were smart, and so I had cleared that house with my team three times, and I remember just hearing gunfire, big big spray gunfire, a lot of yelling, and then two guys running across, hopping the fence and leaving. You know, we shot out a mist eventually got him. Learning that Faircloth was hit and then he was killed. Hard to comprehend because Faircloth, Brad, he was a Marines marine. You know, I feel lucky that I was able to give him. The nickname we called him was the Barbarian, because we had a company wide dodgeball tournament. Me and a couple of friends started this right before he deployed. No one had cars anymore, so we just had a bunch of guys with nothing to do with a lot of pre war aggression, and we needed something to get that out of our system. So we played dodgeball. A ran on the PX, got a bunch of dodgeballs, and he played up front, was pegging dudes in the face all day long, dodging these and we're like, you're a barbarian, and that nickname stuck. And so even Lieutenant Barnes is like, hey, Barbarian, you good. You know, like that was his name, and he was a Marine's marine, you know, he was. He was always out front. He was as brave as they come. And for him to be killed, it was it was hard to comprehend, you know, the shock of anyone, you know, dying, but especially for him to be killed, you know, it felt like something in the Platun died in us that day because you know, between him and Billy Leo, I mean, he was he was the spirit of that platoon too, you know, we everyone respected him. What happens after a big fight, a lot of downtime, a lot of downtime, and thinking, okay, if he can get killed, I mean, who's next, And just also knowing that, like, Okay, I'm gonna have to put this away right now. You know, someone that I care about, that I love as a brother has been shot and killed. I'm gonna have to bury this deep in my soul and maybe someday touch it, but right now it's not the time, because the mission just kept rolling on. We had to keep going, you know, so just knowing that that one hurt, that one really hurt, you know, and and you know a lot of people were dying, so it was not Eventually with my psyche, it started to become like, okay, if he can die, how many times can I kick open a door and expect to live with someone waiting to shoot me? So we're the odds. And at that time though I'd made my peace with death. Fortunately because of what happened to me a few days earlier, you know, having my own pretty intense gun battle with my squad and my team. But the important thing out of that was that I was no longer afraid of dying. I come to peace. I was like, I'm not gonna make it out of the city, so I'm going to do the best job I can to make sure my guys make it out, you know, and it just but losing Brad after that, I was like, this is there's nothing fun about this. I mean, there's nothing fun about being here, you know. I have the pre Fallujah experience of wanting to be in a big gun fight, being a war, and then after the reality it was like, yeah, people you know will get hurt and killed and they'll be dead and there's nothing you can do about it. You'll never see him again. I just know that I'll be just a big void.
Speaker 1: You mentioned a moment ago that you had come to the conclusion you weren't going to make it out of Fallujah live. So when you get to middle of the second week in December and the battle's over and you're still alive, how do you process that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question of how to process still being alive, And it's It's something I've largely been doing for the past twenty years of I'm still alive. I have to remind myself of that, like I'm still alive. Life, life still happens. And I had a friend, another veteran, who told me, you know, it's okay to be happy, but almost needing permission to do that. For a lot of years, I carried the survivor's guilt, you know. Even getting back out of the city of Fallujah and back into the camp, I went out to my friend Robbie Landars and Hey, where's Dave, our friend Dave Hawk, you know, because the three of us went through infantry school together and he was in Brava company. I want to see how he did. He's like, got shot in the face. Man, he's dead. And so that was, you know, like even when I was out of the city, there's another just kicking the gut of oh, okay, who else then? You know, like I went through a lot of dark years too, just trying to basically not actively kill myself, but passively riding my motorcycle, blacked out, getting drunk a lot, trying to process what I'd seen, not believe in it, but fresh out of that battle there.
Speaker 1: How did I.
Speaker 2: Process still being alive? It wasn't something I could even comprehend. You know, that question showed up, but I had no answer for it. I knew that, you know, still, even though we were out of the city of Flujia, we're still in Iraq, and I I guess, you know, I guess I'll figure this out as a civilian someday.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit more about that, that journey, because I know you do a lot of work with mental health now and helping others. So what was what was the turning point for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I spent about seven years trying to drink as much alcohol as possible and do as many drugs as I could to get out of my head and not feel either the horror of panic attacks or intrusive thoughts, or remembering parts of the battle, or the just the crippling survivor's guild. And you know, my wife, we'd grown up together and she knew me. We're friends and started dating while I was in the Marine Corps, and eventually she said, look, I know that there's a good person inside of you right now, but what you're doing to yourself, I can't be part of it. Anymore, and we've been married for about four years. At that point, she said, you either have to stop drinking and using drugs or I can't be here anymore. And so it was a July eleventh of twenty twelve. I made a decision no more drugs and alcohol and then began this humongous journey of processing what felt like a tsunami of feelings that would hit me, you know, guilt him, I a piece of garbage for surviving when when people I thought we were better marines than I was, did not, panic attacks, memories of death and killing, feelings of abject terror, like walking down the stairs, and then all of a sudden having this full body memory of walking down the stairs and getting shot at and at my house in Wallut Creek, California, going paralyzed like like on my stairs, just lying there and trying to breathe. So I faced all of that. Luckily, I had a good marine friend who was part of the sober community who helped bring me to some recovery groups and meetings. And you know, I've been meeting with a therapist too, and I just remember telling me this is why I was still using and drinking, you know, like what do you want to do with your life now? You know you talk about purpose and I said, well, I don't know. I don't know what can compare it to being in urban combat. There's nothing. It felt like my life was anti climatic at that point, but yet she'd helped me in such a way that I felt this tremendous hope. Now, no, I wasn't suicidal anymore. I'd stopped harming, you know, myself through drinks, dragging and drinking. And she said, well, what about doing this kind of work? And it was it was an epiphany right there. I said, yeah, I mean, if I can have this kind of hope, maybe I want to pass this on to other people. It was like I needed permission to be happy, and permission to be alive, and permission to continue on with my life. And it's almost like in that moment she had given me that permission. And I realized how many of us, you know, my brothers and sisters who fought been overseas in combat, feeling that same way. And I was like, Okay, this is something I can do that has to me that same amount of purpose and passion I can put behind this effort to help people on the other side of combat now, and so I've been doing that since since twenty twelve. I'm a director of a VA Vet center and we see veterans every day from you know, all walks of life and all conflicts, and so yeah, I've been able to be someone who's gotten help from a VET center and now someone who's worked at a VET center. I saw I'm both a provider and a veteran, and that combination can be a tough line to walk sometimes because I've had my own experiences and I got to worry about transference and got to worry about, you know, realizing that I'm the one helping people, but I'm not invincible to feeling the same kind of feelings they have. So it's been a nice balancing act. But it's been something I've been doing through a lot of physical activity and a lot of meditation, clean living and in terms of you know, absence from drugs and alcohol. And for me, I'm someone who's always needed a big reason to do something. I need to have my passion involved or I just can't put up the effort, you know. For instance, I participate in triathlons, and like Ironman trathlons and I can't be bothered to work out unless I have a race or some big event coming up. And so just the what I do with the Vet Center gives me that purpose to get up every day and to love my family and to you know, take care of my vets.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing that. We talked earlier before, we talked about the battle about the bond that exists among the guys in a platoon and down to the squad and team level. It's twenty years later now, and just from the other couple of guys that you came in with, that's obvious that that bond still exists many years after you've left. And from what I understand, the bond still exists between many of you guys and Bradley Fairclough's mom. Yeah, Kathleen, So talk a little bit about that and how that endures.
Speaker 2: You know, I hadn't seen a lot of these guys for twenty years. The last time I saw Miss Kathleen Faircloth and some of these guys was at Kathleen's house in Fair Hope, Alabama, And we're there in two thousand and six, April two thousand and six to see her. To Bradley was getting a statue dedicated to his high school, and so we're there for that dedication. And so I haven't seen these guys in twenty years, but as soon as I walk up and I see him, it smiles, it's hugs. It's like not missing a beat, you know, catching up with each other. You know, sometimes we we only know what each other's up to through seeing pictures on Facebook or social media. But the closeness that bond just as strong as it would have been if we had seen each other yesterday, as ugly as the death and the killing in wartime can be. The message I take away is that the bond of love and connection is so much stronger that it trendscends all of that. That's why we're here together this weekend, you know, spending time with each other think, you know, talk about things that for a lot of us are difficult to talk about. I've talked about this a few times with people and shared my experience and process that and therapy, and I know some of these guys haven't had the chance to do that, and so for them it's a little more raw. But they're willing, just like I am, to come here because that bond is that much stronger, and so that's what I took away from my experience in the Marine Corps and combat is that when you're with people in adverse situations and you form those bonds, you can't nothing can break that, and not even death.
Speaker 1: Last question for you, sir, what are you most proud of from your time in the service.
Speaker 2: I'm most proud of the fact that I can talk to guys who are in my charge who thank me for being a good leader. And it's difficult for me to say that because I don't like a spotlight or I don't not trying to brag, however, I'm bringing that up. He's just because that was important to me. I didn't want to fail these guys, and we went through hell together and for someone to say that I did anything positive, that I helped them, just knowing the tremendous responsibility I had of trying to take care of these guys, for them to have some positive words to say about me, it means the world.
Speaker 1: Mike. It's been an amazing conversation. I thank you so much for your time today, and I especially thank you for your service to our country.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Mike Ergo is a veteran of the US Marine Corps. He served in the Iraq War, including the Second Battle of Fallujah in November and December two thousand and four. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles. Hi, this is Greg Corumbus and thanks for listening to Veterans Chronicles, a presentation of the American Veterans Center. For more information, please visit American Veteranscenter dot org. You can also follow the American Veterans Center on Facebook and on Twitter We're at AVC update. Subscribe to the American Veterans Center YouTube channel for full oral histories and special features, and of course, please subscribe to the Veterans Chronicles podcast wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks again for listen, and please join us next time for Veterans Chronicles.