Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant very creature party part.
Speaker 2: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 4: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: In this two part interview with doctor Phillip Center, we will be looking at the evolution of dragons and how dragons are being used to battle against the concept of evolution and natural selection. In part one, we're going to be focusing on dragons and how they evolve from ancient Greek and Roman mythicized serpents into the quadrupedal, fire breathing monsters that populate fantasy and legend. And then next week in part two, we're going to dive in onto how creation is to arguing that the legends of dragons are rooted in real world human experience coexisting with dinosaurs. There's an assumption I usually make about our listenership that you're here because you love monsters and science, and many people rely on their religions a source of morality and spiritual guidance. But the narratives of religion ought to provide creation stories and explanations for how the world works and why. And as humans have developed science as a method for inquiry and discovery, a huge pile of logical inferences and material evidence that contradicts mythic narratives have emerged, and a lot of science directly refutes the literal interpretation of sacred documents and narratives. And when one has faced with this conflict, one has to ask oneself if it is possible to accept that the world we live in is one we can understand through these findings, or do we need to reject the evidence and rely on the stories of ancient myth as the only truth. I know many scientists who reconcile this, but taking these stories as instructive metaphors, which allows them to be beloved and meaningful, but doesn't require them to reject the evidence that suggests we live in a natural world subject to natural laws, which can, through rigorous inquiry, be understood or even manipulated. The other approach is to reject this evidence and lean hard into the stories as being literally true and a world that's full of misleading lives. These are the sources of cartoons showing a devil hiding dinosaur fossils to confuse the faithful, and narratives of people wrestling with dinosaurs and ancient Babylon culture. Wars are not new and they will never go away. But right this minute, I personally like science is on the ropes here in the United States, and I find it really disheartening. If you believe in a future where demonstrable facts should be treated more seriously than fiery but unevidenced faith, well then you have to keep fighting. Those who purport to support science owe it to themselves and that ideal to educate themselves and speak out when they see nonsense on the attack. Doctor Center's book is full of useful and fun information if you want to be armed for battle. It's also fun if you just like dinosaurs and dragons and like to read about how people have used these creatures for a variety of purposes across the ages. Check out the show notes to find links to the book and additional reading. But why are you listening to this intro when we could be having some fun. Listen to some good old fashioned dragon themed more obstrutal Hey on this two part episode, we're welcoming doctor Philip J. Center, who is the author of the Real Story of Dinosaurs and Dragons and it's a really interesting book. And I noticed that in the intro you think just to Mullis, who's a friend of the show, for some of his feedback, and yeah, that's great. So he's been on several times and we actually correspond quite frequently.
Speaker 3: But welcome to the show, Phil, Phil Center, Welcome, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 1: Or is it Phillip Sitter?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: I messed it up.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's okay. Yeah, Phil is fine.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most people call me Phil.
Speaker 2: Phil.
Speaker 1: Can you introduce yourself a little bit deeper than that shallow effort by me? I would really appreciate it for the listeners.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yes.
Speaker 2: I am a professor of zoology at Fable State University in North Carolina, where I've worked since two thousand and seven, and my research specialties are paleontology with an emphasis on dinosaurs, zoology with an emphasis on reptiles, and biblical studies, for which I have right, I've got a master's degree in theology in addition to the doctorate in biology, so and in fact, I I earned those credentials, specifically so that I would have credibility doing biblical studies.
Speaker 4: Well, that's an interesting combination of fields and perfectly suited to your new book. So we want to start, I think, with just asking you what drove you to write this book, and then what kept you going.
Speaker 3: What drove me to write it.
Speaker 2: Began in class when well, at my first semester at Fayetteville State and I was teaching a comparative anatomy class and I mentioned something about evolution and one of my students popped off with, I think evolution is a hoax, and I was stunned.
Speaker 3: This was a.
Speaker 2: Biology major who was either a junior or senior, and I had thought, by the time you get that far, surely you're aware of the evidence of evolution, and if not, we need to fix this. So shortly thereafter, I was asked to teach an evolution class, and in preparation for that, I read a bunch of Young Earth creationist literatures so I could be up on counter arguments and know how to answer them. And then that ultimately just spun out into a book because I figured why keep this stuff to myself when there are other teachers out there who could use a database of the counter arguments, which the book is.
Speaker 1: Oh well put in that answers the question exactly. Yeah, that's great. Oh quickly, I just wanted to introduce interject that we switched from being like an hour long format to being a thirty minute format. So my plan here is to talk to you and split this in half. And so the first of our questions are going to deal with the history and mythology of dragons. You don't feel a need to steer away from evolution. But the second part of the interview is we're going to ask questions focused on creationism, dragons, cryptuzology, anti science, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: If that's okay with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: In fact, even if all it was was just dragons, that that's still right up my alley.
Speaker 5: Perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, here we go. Then the next question is right on topic. Then your book opens up with Dawn of the Dragon, and can you walk us through some of the earliest known dragon myths and how they and we're going to use this word a lot, how they evolved across cultures across time, especially in the Greco Roman tradition.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, back in the days when Greco Roman culture was the predominant culture around the Mediterranean, or the days of the Greek Empire, the days of the Roman Empire, the words of which is Greek and draco in.
Speaker 3: Latin both meant serpent.
Speaker 2: Now, these are the precursors of the word dragon, which did not appear in that form until the Middle Ages, and the earlier dragon myths are all about snakes. Hercules, for example, Heracles to the Greeks, he could not get away from these blasted things. The goddess Hera sent two of them to his crib to kill him, and they were not successful because he strangled him to death.
Speaker 3: Then, when he was an.
Speaker 2: Adult, he had to defeat the racon that was guarding the apples of the Hesperides in order to take the apples.
Speaker 3: And then later on he.
Speaker 2: Had to defeat another racon with multiple heads, the hydra, and the poor guy just could not get away from racontess, which is the ancient Greek for dragons. And he even had to meet the hellhound Cariberos at one point, and the tail on that animal was a rack on. And then we get to other contemporaneous smiths. It's one serpent after the next, like the serpent that Asclepios had around his staff, which symbolizes medicine today. The ancient Greeks called it a racon and other examples. The hero Jason famously put to sleep the racon that was guarding the Golden Fleece in order to steal the fleece, and he had some help from Medea, who was well. The serpent was kind of her pet. If you will, and the list goes on.
Speaker 1: I think we need to have a quick Medea insert here. So Medea is from the legend of Jason and the Argonauts. She is a sorceress and was a princess of Colchis. She fell for Jason and helps him steal the Golden Fleece by betraying her father and murdering her brother to aid his escape. They flee to Greece together, they marry, they have children, but when Jason leaves her to marry a Corinthian princess, Medea takes brutal revenge. She sends the Princess of poison robe that bursts into flames, killing her and the king, and then in a final act of vengeance, she kills her own children to wound Jason forever. She escapes in a flying chariot sent by her grandfather, the son god Helios. That's what she's famous for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she certainly got her revenge on him after that in the story with the poison cloak that she gave to his next wife. I guess that's the subject for another.
Speaker 1: Episode Media's she turned from heroin to villain in a lot of views. But I mean, you don't want to, you know, you don't want to who you're wrong on your adventures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So Bill, do you see common patterns in dragon stories around the world, or these legends more culturally distinct than we might typically assume.
Speaker 3: Well, there are some.
Speaker 2: Basic similarities in a lot of the circum Mediterranean dragon stories from the from pre medieval times. Very often there is a hero who either has to slay or otherwise defeat or banish a dragon, which is an obstacle, and he has to do that in order to achieve a goal. Sometimes, well, very often the drakon is wrecking havoc around the surrounding landscape in the towns, so it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of an enemy to everybody.
Speaker 2: But other times, no, it's just an obstacle against one thing, well in the way of one thing. But either way, it's considered something to defeat a good deal of the time, and right, sometimes it's a hero, sometimes it's a god who slays the dragon, and I guess the commonality there's usually.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: A negative thing, which is a bit ironic because also in the circum Mediterranean world at the same time, snakes that were called sacred dragons were kept in temples as agents of healing, so they were also considered good things. So the dragon had more than one face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little side question there about can you talk about what is it called the cadaces the staff with the serpent that they used for medicine? What was the original meaning of this? You mentioned this now we think of it for healthcare in medicine, but like, what did it mean? If it's a nation symbol, can you tell us what it used to be and how it's changed.
Speaker 2: Well, the cad you see us his staff with a serpent wound around it. It may have been a magic symbol, because very often when a deity or hero is performing a magical act, there is a staff in the ancient iconography that's pointing toward whatever the action is. Even the the early, the earliest representations of Jesus on Roman sarcophag g I have him with a staff pointing to whatever thing he's doing, like raising Lazarus from the dead and so forth, And it very well could be that a Slepiosi's healing magic was symbolized by this staff, although it could have meant something else, but it would kind of make sense because the snake that's wrapped around it is sort of his familiar and there were actual snakes that were kept in the temples of Asclepios, and it was considered a blessing to be tongued by these snakes, and so that they were that was considered part of the healing process, or at least a precursor to it. So having that wrapped around his staff to symbolize the agent of the magic might have had something to do with the symbology there.
Speaker 1: Interesting well, I did a little side quest thing and it implied that it was adopted for modern medical stuff in the in the sixteenth century, which seems around the time that a lot of I guess a lot of ancient texts had been published because of the printing press, And it fits into that whole idea of the past is magic too, which is white that's a running theme for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was towards the end of the Renaissance, and the Renaissance was all about rebirthing all the ancient ways of thinking, including the ancient myths. So it kind of goes along with the whole zeitgeist of the time.
Speaker 1: We talk a lot about you Heimerism here and the idea that any legend probably has some grain of truth, or you know, the idea that the ancient gods of Greece were real men and heroes who had adventures, and they got sort of expanded and it stretched on over time. And I think in cryptosology that theme runs deep, the idea that legends have a basis in reality. And I'm wondering to what extent you think that natural phenomena are encounters with unusual animals like crocodiles or whales, contributed to the formation of these dragon legends.
Speaker 3: I think there's a possibility there.
Speaker 2: But given the fact that the word meant snake, and that every representation in the Greek and Roman iconography of a dragon from a store is a snake, I would say that they were probably inspired by actual snakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Violid, I like it makes sense.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned in the book that Renaissance taxidermy, like fabricated dragons contributed to the mythology. So could you tell us a little bit about one of your favorite fake dragon stories from that era and what it tells us about human credulity and imagination.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, well, one of the best has got to be Elder Vandi's dragon. The Italian naturalist, at least say Elder of Bandi, had a museum of biological curiosities that.
Speaker 3: He let people come to study.
Speaker 2: And this was in a town that happened to be the hometown of a man who was elected pope. And the day of the election, this dragon appeared outside the walls of this town, along with a fabricated backstory that it had been beaten to death by a peasant who had found it, and it frightened his oxen, and he wanted to pass, and the dragon was making the oxen balk, so he beat it in the head and killed it, supposedly. And the item was of course not a real dragon as it was conceived in those days, In other words, no longer a snake, but this monstrous thing. What it was was a grass snake that had its mid section replaced with the mid section of a fish, and there were little arms from a toad that were added to it, and it fooled a lot of people into thinking this was a real dragon.
Speaker 1: And but you're saying it was a total fraud.
Speaker 3: Yes it was.
Speaker 2: It was a complete fraud, and it probably had some politics going on with it, because the pope that had just got elected his family crest was a dragon, and to be elected on the on the day when a dragon appears near his hometown, the pope's hometown which happened to be where Aldervandi was also living and had his museum, and a dragon had been beaten to death by a peasant whose name was supposedly Baptista, in other words, a baptizer. I mean, there's religious and political innuindo in here. Apparently somebody did not like the pope and was beating him in effigy, and then the dragon was donated to Aldervandi, who put it on display, and obviously somebody knew it was going to go on display, because that's what you do with the museum. So this kind of in your face to the new pope was now public and permanent. There must have been some other intrigue going on with that, but I mean the the audacity to do them on that particular day, and they prepared for it too. The dragon appeared on that day, but they had to have put it together some days before. So someone was anticipating that this guy would be elected and had gone to the trouble to express their displeasure.
Speaker 3: Ahead of time.
Speaker 2: So who knows what sort of feud was going on and who knows who it was. But I would like to travel back in time a little bit and find that out.
Speaker 4: I'm just listening to and a question came to mind. I'm just starting to wonder. We're talking about serpents and snakes, and evolution is going to come into this discussion soon, but right now, I'm wondering, how did this mythical creature evolve from a snakelike creature to a kind of reptilian bast that has claws and wings and can breathe fire into all of these other things that we associate with dragons today.
Speaker 2: Well, the first bit of transformation was the fire. When Christianity became the predominant religion in the Roman Empire, the Christian storytellers began to make stories about their saints, stories about real people. But things that had not actually happened to those people, And there were encounters with serpents in which the saint was cast almost in the Greek or Roman hero role, with the serpent as adversary, and in the literature was called draco or draco, which is a formal way to say snake, like today we would say serpent instead of snake, so that they were trying to make it.
Speaker 3: Impressive and hyghalutine.
Speaker 2: Well, before Christianity had taken over, a lot of the dragon stories had the dragon spitting venom and venom burns. I can attest to this, having venomated at least once I got you.
Speaker 1: You mean it feels it burns? Yeah, yeah, gotcha, gotcha. Slamble, it feels like you're on fire, got it exactly.
Speaker 2: It won't set anything on fire, but you will feel like there is fire inside you when when the venom has been pumped into your system.
Speaker 4: And eating Chili's right.
Speaker 3: Well, with these.
Speaker 2: Christian stories, the the venom spitting got replaced with fire spitting, and it's not too much of a stretch to do one from one to the other, because there was an association in people's minds with that, so that was the the first transformation. The dragon became fire breathing in Christian traditions, and then about the eighth or ninth century, for no apparent reason, artists began putting feathered bird wings and one pair of legs on dragon depictions. And I have searched the literature to see whether there was some inspiration from something written, and I've come up with squat, so I think the artists were just being imaginative. But once that got started, it stuck. And then a few centuries later it became popular to trade the bird wings for batwings, and this did not become really popular until the Renaissance. Didn't become standard until after the Renaissance. And the same goes for adding a second pair of limbs so that the dragon becomes a quite with wings. There was a little bit of that in the twelfth century, but it did not become standard until the Renaissance was at its height, so it took a while for this to catch on, and by the time the Renaissance was over, a lot of artists had stopped depicting the dragon with the sort of a bird shaped torso and had replaced that with a mammalian torso with mammalian haunches and the limbs that were clearly upright like those of a mammal, which just so happens to be how dinosaurs hold their limbs. So by the time dinosaurs were discovered for what they were in the nineteenth century, the dragon had come to resemble one with wings, quite by accident.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you go from this idea that it's a serpent, and then it becomes a leged animal and winged animal and a fire breeding animal. And then Europeans as they go around the world, anytime they encounter is something that looks big and reptilian that's also a dragon. You know, even if that culture doesn't even have a dragon, it becomes part of the dragons. And you get things like we have a taxonomy. You know, if it's got four legs, it's a dragon. If it's got two leg it's a wyburn. You know, some people call them worms. It's really interesting and creative, and I think I struggle sometimes because, again going back to that Euhimmerist idea, the idea that things are based on real encounters kind of lies at the core of what is the challenge with dealing with people who don't have a scientific take on the world, or who like to have literally supernatural takes on the world. That these magical, supernatural creatures can somehow fit into a natural world, that there's a way to make them fit. There's a way it makes sense, and the easiest way, it seems like it's to reject science. But I guess I do have a question here after that little ramble, which is this. And this is one of those questions that sometimes annoy our listeners because it's a thoughtful, feely kind of question. But if you leave inside the science for a minute, why do you think this idea of dragons, this powerful fire breathing creature has such an emotional value even in modernity? Like why do people love dragons so much? And why do they want them to be real?
Speaker 2: I can only give you an opinion here, That's all we got.
Speaker 1: I mean, go for you, that's all we would ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good enough.
Speaker 2: I think, for lack of a better word, dragons are cool.
Speaker 5: Oh, even in the Renaissance when they were just starting to get the bells and whistles and only a few artists were putting the frill of spikes down the back and horns on the head, and they were.
Speaker 2: Finally giving the bat wings and the four limbs instead of two, and a little arrowhead thing on the end of the tail. Even before that got started, artists were trying their best to make the dragon look impressive, to make it look like you had to look twice at this painting, And so dragons were kind of an outlet for artistic creativity, if you will. And the more the centuries go by, the more ornate the dragon gets, until by the time we get to the twentieth century, Oh, it is full of bells and whistles. It's got spikes all over it, it's got scales that are modified into these big, larger scuts and with patterns going over the animal, and little hornlets on its face in addition to bigger horns. And it's the ornateness of it that just makes you take a second look and makes them so fun to see. And I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the artists have been trying to make you take a second look and they have figured out how to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's near to my heart. We have an idea we talk about here. It started as sort of a joke, but it's not a joke. Which is we talk about cryptids.
Speaker 3: And how much.
Speaker 1: Fiction and film and the way that non real stories and nonreal images end up affecting how people really experience things. So I think, I guess probably the best example would be the Patterson Gimblin film. Bigfoot sort of came into existence in the nineteen fifties, but after the Patterson Gimblin film, everybody knew what they were looking for, so anytime people saw a bigfoot, it started to conform to that sort of a shape and size, And so I started calling this instead of cryptids scriptids, because the movies were influencing them. And he likes puns and I love puns. And I noticed you included a lot in your chapter titles and headings and stuff, so I definitely appreciate you, very impressed. But unfortunately these ideas, these I think wonderful fantasy ideas of dragons, have gotten lastoed into an anti science narrative that we've talked about several times here on Monster Talk, and that is the use of cryptozoology to support the idea of creationism. And in the second half of this interview, which we will go to soon, we're going to continue questions along those lines, because that's really the heart of this book is what is evolution? What are dragons? And why are people using dragons to support the idea that evolution is wrong? So tune in next week for part two. More monster You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 3: I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: You just heard part one of our two part interview with doctor Philip Center discussing his new book, The Real Story of Dinosaurs and Dragons Science Sets the Fossil Record Straight, which details how creationists are trying to use dragons to undermine the science of natural selection and evolution. In part two, we're going to dive deeper into the conceptual battle between these ideas. Come back next week for that. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forwarde slash support. That's monster talk dot org forwarde slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page, as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kid so we could share our digital libraries with each other, and finally, without spending any money at all, You can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talks theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys. The fun thing about science is that it says we get to see dinosaurs just about every day. This has been a Monster House presentation