Speaker 1: I used to think that the smartest thing was keeping your goals private into yourself. I've learned that the right people can change everything. Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you. I've been thinking a lot about how people say, keep your goals private, don't tell anybody what you're doing, move in silence, and I can from a different perspective, I can understand why people say that. I was talking about the Jenny Jones talk show the other day with Coach Nikki on the last podcast episode, and it has like that geeked to chic effect. But I get it because not everyone deserves that access to what your vision is. But I also do think that there is such a distinct difference between protecting your peace and hiding your growth, and alongside that also getting the support that we need and sometimes the support that we.
Speaker 2: Need and love.
Speaker 1: I do believe that when you share your goals with the right people, that's when things can really truly start to shift again. Having that support in your corner can mean everything, and sometimes that's like a make or break too, because when you're around people of excellence, people who are actually I call it in their own lane. They're putting in their time, they're putting in the work, it pulls something out of you. And I see this circulate online all the time too, like between like the work hard and silence disappear for six months. And then there's also that version that says, I have never met anyone doing more than me that would criticize me. So I've seen those two things on the side of the different spectrums, and that second one I do believe in that because like when you're around people that are also doing what they need to do for themselves, it makes it it feel possible, it makes it feel like your goals are real, and it's that kind of environment that matters. And I think that's more than what people would like to admit, because like when you go to work and you tell people like, oh, this is what I'm doing, and then all of a sudden, it seems like you're boasting, like oh, that person thinks they're so great or this person thinks they're better than everybody. But if someone is truly happy in their own lives and their own success, I am a firm believer that those people are going to be there to support you.
Speaker 2: And to cheer you on.
Speaker 1: And that's why, like people like Christina, you're everybody's cheerleader.
Speaker 2: Yeah I am.
Speaker 1: I'm secure in who I am as a person, and I'm secure in my own lane. And the people that react badly to your goals are literally the people who aren't in their own lane because they're too busy looking over your side of the fence at.
Speaker 2: I like to think of it like home improvement.
Speaker 1: I made a Tim the tool Man tailor reference in the gym the other day, and I'm like, I was fixing something and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh wow.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I'm Tim the tool Man Taylor. And then someone's like, I hope nothing blows up in your face something along the lines. But it was much nicer than that. But I laughed, and I'm like, you know what, I'm not used to being Tim the tool Man Taylor. I'm used to being Wilson, the man that talks to the neighbors on the other side of the fence.
Speaker 2: But that's when.
Speaker 1: Someone's not in their own lane, right, They're too busy looking over at your your grass on the other side of the fence. They're not focused on building themselves. So sometimes when you talk about those things and what your goals are, those people can really get uncomfortable when someone else is actually focusing on what it is that they want to do. And that to me, like, don't shrink because of that. That's your sign to keep going. And maybe those people you've learned if you already always tell people, like not always tell people, but like if you tell someone like, oh, this is what I want to do, this is my goal, and they come and they shit on your goals and your dreams and they make you feel like you're small, that's not okay. If it is someone who is you've asked for their opinion and they give you honest feedback, that's a different story. If you're like, oh, do you think that this is a good idea because of this or that or this, and you're asking advice, then that's their signal to give you advice. But if you're just genuinely sharing and you're like, hey, this is going to be fantastic, this is what I want to do, and they're like, oh, do you think that's such a good idea, Well.
Speaker 2: Maybe don't talk to those people.
Speaker 1: Or when you go home and you tell your spouse or your family or your friends, like, oh, this person is always demeaning me. I don't know why I keep sharing my goals with them.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I bother. Why are we friends?
Speaker 1: That's a sign if you're looking forward, sign this is it. And that's also one of the reasons too, why group fitness is so incredibly special to me.
Speaker 2: It's not just having.
Speaker 1: The workout, like people can't get workouts on YouTube. People are chat gpting different exercises for their body and uploading pictures and cool, that's badass, that's cool. Sometimes chat GPTs a GPS, also GPS and also chat SIBT. Sometimes those things that are electronics steer us in the wrong directions as well. But to me, it's the energy in the room. It's being a around those people who are showing up. It's the people that are trying, the people that are improving, the people that encourage each other. Maybe they're doing like a little tiny booty shake at the end of their workout. I know four forty five shout out to four forty five. I've seen it, I've been in it. I love this energy for you. Those relationships are what matter to me. When someone's like, hey, I put a mat down for you. Oh fantastic. Those people were strangers even like two weeks ago, Like that is cool. I saw someone coming into the gym today, actually Kristen from BedHead Berdor Photography special plug in there, badass check with her Instagram.
Speaker 2: I saw her with.
Speaker 1: Her bottle and she knew her friends were coming to the class with her, and she had all this stuff and she had two steps, like two of our commercial size steps.
Speaker 2: I'm like, let me help you. I guess I wanted to help her, but I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, this is like you know that game oh Jangat. That's it when you put like little tiny squares and you try not to like make anything fall out.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, I got it. This is great. I'm like, okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: I was a little nervous to take something out of your hand because the whole django wasn't gonna collapse anyways, But that to me is so encouraging. And then to see her in the gym, like being open and honest and friends with everybody like that, to me is such an encouraging thing. One of the previous podcast episodes I talked about like the thank you effect, like saying thank you and being kind. That's what I'm talking about right there. Those are those relationships. They make you feel seen, and I also can respect that not everybody is an extroverted personality. We have a lot of introverted people and they will say painfully shy is the words that they use. But those people also make you feel supported. And also I'm an extrovert and I know extrovert people too, and I know introvert people. We will adopt you do not be afraid and sometimes too, like when you feel like you're feeling like, oh, I don't know if I can keep going, or I don't know if this.
Speaker 2: Is good for me.
Speaker 1: Those are the people that can remind you to believe in yourself. They're the ones that are gonna be like, you know what you believed in, whatever you believed in for X amount of years.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're listening with it.
Speaker 1: To your I don't know if you're listening to this podcast. The kids in the car, So I'm not going to talk about special event things. But if you believed in something for X amount of time and you believed in other people, you can believe in yourself. I know I'm saying that very easily. On this episode, I tell myself this too, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So there's something else that I've been thinking about as well too, because something else that we've been hearing is no is a complete sentence.
Speaker 2: We hear that a lot. People love to say it.
Speaker 1: Somebody even said that to me the other day and I was like, yes, you know what, I love you for this, And sure, sometimes no is a complete sentence, but it doesn't need to be that simple if you don't want it to be, because people are complex, like I mean, like life is complex. What works for one person may not work for another. And that's true in fitness, that's true in nutrition, that's true in life. That's true for like pretty much everything because not every boundary and maybe those decisions, some of those things don't need to always have the same answer. And I always think about it, like when I explain to someone why I don't want to do something, like I'm queen of over explaining as well. I've really learned how to shorten that boundary within the last few years of over explaining. But there's sometimes that I want to share why because I respect that person. Yes I respect myself as well, but if I want to share, I want that person to know why, because I know what it's like for someone to totally cut me off and say no, and I'm like, oh, did I do something wrong?
Speaker 2: Is this okay?
Speaker 1: Like, sure, we don't need to think those things. It could just be a personal thing. But if that's going to ease anxiety in somebody or give somebody a reason, then I'm going to be that person to offer that to that person. And it's not that I care more about their feelings than mine, but it's like I can care about both our feelings at the same time. I've also learned that there's going to be decisions that you're gonna make because you're going to understand the bigger picture and not everyone is going to understand what your vision is. But at the end of the day, not every season needs to have that exact same answers, change things pivot. I like to evaluate and be like, what is currently working, what is not working, what can stay the same? How can I make these tweaks or improvements, and sometimes people will like they'll walk into the gym and even something as small as rearranging things, people will be like, I didn't understand what it was that you were doing, but oh my gosh, this is fabulous. I'm like, oh cool, thank you. So that to me is like, not everyone is going to understand right away, but if they're meant to stay, they're going to stay and they're going to understand what the bigger picture is because I know that it's taken me a long time to trust myself and to trust my vision and to trust that I actually do know what it is.
Speaker 2: That I am doing.
Speaker 1: I have lots and lots of experience in specific aspects of life, especially in my own life. So when I make those decisions, it's not like, oh, like Christine is making bad decisions. Ah, just wait, you just wait, because I have learned a lot. I've made a lot of bad decisions to make good ones. Finally, Okay, So speaking of learning things earlier on, So I had a secret Facebook page one time, a long long time ago, and this was for this was when Facebook pages first happened. So it was for my weekly weigh ins, my progress pictures. Again, when Facebook first came out came out, I was actually living overseas in the Caribbean, and I was taking pictures of like this is my gripefruit tree, and this is what I'm eating, and this is how I'm learning to roast cashew nuts that I went and pulled off of a tree. So like, there's certain things that I uploaded on that page and I didn't know it was public. I was posting my weight, I was posting my front picture's side pictures, back pictures. This was a long time ago when I used to do those things. Now I don't track my progress in that context. I prefer to see how I feel and also make tweaks with my in body analysis report. But anyway, so the support that I received from that hidden, not hidden, very public Facebook page was so unreal because people saw me trying and they saw me being consistent as well and having that page and telling people what my goals were and sharing those things. That support helped to shape the confidence that I needed to build what came next, and that was not just myself, but also the transformation station. That page was actually submitted. There was a gym manager at the time I was flying in from the Caribbean for my mom's birthday as a surprise, and I'm like, I just want like a two to three week pass, like I don't want to pay for membership. I don't want anything for free, like I can pay for drop ins. And I had to talk to the manager at the time or whatever, and he asked me a whole bunch of questions and then I told him like, oh, I've lost X amount of pounds.
Speaker 2: This is what I've done.
Speaker 1: That's how I was actually offered my first job because that person asked about this Facebook page and he's like, can I write that down? I'm like, yeah, sure, go check it out later whatever. The next day, I came in and everyone's like, oh my gosh, this is Christina, like congratulations.
Speaker 2: On your progress. I'm like, well, is this happening?
Speaker 1: And I asked someone like how does everybody know? And they're like, oh, that person submit. That person's not even working in there anymore, but that person sent everybody an email with your Facebook page. I was like, oh, okay, Like I wasn't upset or anything because I already knew it was public after I gave him the link. Anyway, and then long story short, I flew back to the Caribbean and my phone rang and it was a job offer. And it was my Caribbean cell phone that I kept in my suitcase. Yeah, my cell phone rang and I answered it and it was a job offer. I'm like, listen, I don't like personal trainers. I'm not certified. I have zero interest. And that person on the other side of the phone said, why are you moving back? Okay, we'll start training you. We need you to start for December. That way, when January hits, we have you on the floor because we need more personal trainers like you. And there was an incident that happened and it was actually to the person that was calling me and offering me the job. And I'm like, I'm not certified. I know nothing, and she's like, we're going to get you certified. This is what is going to happen. I'm like, okay, cool. And fast forward fifteen years and I still appreciate that person. However, I only did work there for less than a month, and then I had my first key to my first location when I was in my twenties. I think I shared this on the podcast earlier. Yeah, so that person and I are still in contact here and there, we run into each other and it's like.
Speaker 2: I just love you.
Speaker 1: It was all watch and she's like, I just love you so much. It was a really great experience actually meeting this person and having that journey unfold in that context.
Speaker 2: But that was long story short.
Speaker 1: That was because I publicly shared what my goals were, and then people that wanted to come along for the ride, they saddled up and they did. Some of them even changed their own lives alongside of me. And that's when I'm like, Okay, I got to get certified. I need to figure out what I'm doing. People are asking to be my workout partner. People are asking me to write the meal plans and fitness plans. And this is before AI happened. This is before people were losing one hundred pounds and that was normal back then. It wasn't so normal for someone who was four hundred pounds to lose weight essentially, especially without any different tools, because this was way before people had experience.
Speaker 2: With those tools.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a really interesting thing when you start to share your journey. And if I kept that bottled up and I was just like, oh, I'm just gonna do my own thing. That's cool too, if that's something that you love to do. Again, people are complex. You gotta do what's.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 1: But if I did keep my stuff a secret, I wouldn't be where I am right now, and the transformation station in this podcast would not exist. So super cool for that, and that's why I do also believe that when you have confidence. I made a podcast on a podcast an Instagram rail about this today because it was really heavy on my heart about confidence because people always ask me. So I shared about when I did the firearms training and my instructor, he's so cool, and he was like, oh, you come across like you know things, like you know everything and you're very stoic, and I'm like what, So I kid you not. Yesterday, my spouse and I walked into a store and it wasn't even it was in a different city and is the place that I've never really explored, and there was a store and I walked into the store. Of course, because I've never really explored the city, I've never been into the store. And I walked in and there was a lady right there at the cash and she turned She's like Hi. I'm like, oh, how are you doing? And then she's like, okay, so you've been here before. I'm like no, I've never been here before. She's like oh, She's like, you walked in really confident, like you've been here before. I was like oh no, no. She's like, so do you know what the specials are? Have you seen like our social media? I'm like no, I know nothing about you. And she's like oh wow, She's like the way you enter the room, I'm like, oh, thank you. I'm like, this is cool because that's something that I never had experienced before. That's not the way I used to enter rooms before. I used to be nervous, or I used to be scared, or I used to cry. So like, that's a really strong leverage to me. Why I think that confidence comes after you step And I said, like in my my reel, going back to the real, I said like, I'm not this extra overconfident person. I'm just someone who got tired of being underneath what I thought was everybody's thumbs. And I got tired of being bullied most of my life. I got tired of people I'm gonna do the Rocky Balboa thing. I got tired of people sticking a finger in my face and telling me that.
Speaker 2: I'm no good.
Speaker 1: When you start to trust yourself, things happen. When you step into your goals first you learn that you can trust yourself, doors open, things happen, Momentum builds, and some of those people that are a little bit like they seem like, oh, that person's too good to be my friend because they're successful and it looks like they have their life going on, those are the people you need to chase. Those are the people that you should cling to, not the people that suit your old lifestyle that are still wallowing in their own Don't get me wrong, everyone has their own things that they're going through. But how many times I looked at someone like that person's never gonna like me, that person's never gonna want to be my friend. Now that person's one of my best friends. Like that's just how those things unfold. It doesn't really matter, Like it doesn't matter where you came from.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, those things matter, but they don't matter in this context about whether you deserve to be confident or not. You deserve to have confidence, You deserve to enter a room like you're okay, Like even if you're not okay. Eventually that starts to build, because at one time I'm not okay, And there's sometimes, depending on what time of the month it is, I feel like I don't deserve anything in my entire life. Things happen, we feel like shit, and then you know what I do? You know what that sound is? Blowing the dust off my shoulder and keep going. So I hope that you have that support around you too. I hope that you have that confidence that you can keep yourself afloat that when you do feel low, you're like, oh, this isn't right. Let me check my period calendar. Oh I knew I wasn't a basic whiny bitch.
Speaker 2: Please don't delete me for saying that.
Speaker 1: But it's true, Like there's sometimes that's just the time, and that's just how it goes. And having that knowledge in yourself, having that no, you know what, I am a'ro on boulder and you cannot blow me down. It doesn't mean being aggressive or resentful. It just means knowing that you're secure in yourself, that you can enter the room with confidence, you can enter your life with confidence. Get tired of waiting to be accepted, get tired of waiting for people's approval, or maybe you're waiting for their permission. Stop waiting for when you think that you're going to look the part, or when you think you're going to be educated enough to be the part.
Speaker 2: Make your own path.
Speaker 1: You don't need to stay where you are because it makes other people uncomfortable. You can step into who you are and who you are becoming without giving a shit about what anybody else has to say. If you want to share your goals, make sure that you are choosing the people that you are sharing your goals with. Build around those people. Build those friendships around those people who are also doing the work and making themselves proud. And I will say sometimes people will struggle, but those are the people who are so focused on their own lane that are not going to be putting you down. They're going to be looking for a solution to the problem, and not more problems to the solution. If we always wait for people to understand your lane before you even start driving into it, it's going to be complete chaos. Your goals will get stronger and stronger when you stop hiding them from the people who can actually help you grow. All right, friends, this is all the time we have for today. Hope you enjoyed the podcast. We do have a few super exciting guests lined up for the rest of the week, so we'll make sure you tune in. We release Monday to Friday five am podcast episodes here on the Transformation Station podcast. We like to also as a special plug. We like to keep this podcast ad free, so your support goes a long way. If this resonated with you, feel free to share it with a friend, post it on your social media, and to steal a page at a Gary Vee's chapter. Please be sure to share this podcast because it would make my mom super proud.
Speaker 2: Until next time,