Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZY, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Nicall. We start off our journey towards midnight. I don't get you to midnight and get to about eleven fifty eight, but so I'll get you really close to midnight. If you'll stick with us for the next four hours, we have an interesting show coming up. We have four interesting guests hearing here in the first hour at the eight o'clock hour, no phone calls this hour. Then at nine o'clock I going to be talking with Boston attorney Phil Tracy about that State Supreme Court case that was heard yesterday regarding Karen Reid and whether or not there needs to be a change in what happened at the end of that case. I think most people are aware of that, but we will spell it out for you after nine o'clock, and then at ten o'clock tonight we will play for you some of the comments made by President Biden today. He has invited President to elect former President Trump to the White House for a transition meeting of sorts, traditional meeting that Donald Trump did not offer to Joe Biden four years ago because of the craziness that was going on at that point. But President Biden, I thought, made a very generous and also a very thorough speech. I guess you call it really more of remarks. It really wasn't a speech. It was remarks about the need for a smooth transition. We'll get to all of that as the evening goes on, so do stay with us. We have watched to talk about. Rob Brooks is back in the control room tonight. You don't have to call Rob until after nine o'clock, so don't worry about that. And I'm going to start off with a conversation with Chris Price. He's a Boston Globe sports reporter, and I think that he is often on the Patriots beat, and wrote a piece recently about the struggle of Patriots wide receivers. Although they have, my opinion, a couple of pretty good quarterbacks, both Drake May and the Jacoby Brissett. I'd love to know what Chris thinks. He probably has a much more up close and personal view than I do. Chris Price, Welcome to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Dan, how are you? It's my pleasure to join you tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, right back at you, I mean, I go back to the days of when Gino Cappelletti was a receiver. Ardie Graham, I go back a long way, and of course they've had some great receivers along the way. Russ Francis you think of, And they've got a pretty good little receiving core right now, and they've got a quarterback in May who's throwing the ball a lot more than Jacoby Pressent. Did I read your piece and you did a really nice analysis of all these receivers. What do you think of them as a group, and then we can break them down individually if you like.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that we can start with the fact that they're very young. They're you know, the the great majority of them, do Mario Douglas, Keishawn Booty, Taekwon Thornton, Jalen polk On Baker. They're all in there first or most of them in their first or second year in the league, and so you're gonna have some growing pains with the group, you know, like that. I'm sorry Techwon Thornton isn't his third year in the league. I apologize for that, but it's a young group and they are kind of growing together. Kendrick Bourne is probably the oldest of that group. He is a guy who's been around the league a few years and I think does a very good job when it comes to offering some leadership. But yeah, it's been a rough start for them for a few reasons. Not the least the wish. Like I said before, they're young. But there's also when you touched on the quarterback situation. I'm glad you did, Dan, because it calls to mind the story from twenty sixteen where the Patriots that summer we're trying to prepare for the season. If you remember twenty sixteen, that's the year where Tom Brady was suspended for four games right off the bat, and they had Jimmy Garoppolo, and so they were using two different quarterbacks that summer an awful lot. And I remember asking Markel's be it was the tight end on that team. I said, what's it like trying to develop relationship chemistry, whatever you want to call it with two different quarterbacks at the same time. And he looked at me and he kind of waited a beat and said, well, you know, I've dated two women at the same time before, so it's you know, it's a little bit like that. There were you know, with a little bit more PG. Thirteen and maybe are rated than that, but I'll kind of clean it up for the radio. So I think that some of their issues can kind of be traced back to the fact that there was some uncertain the quarterback position. Over the course this summer, Jakobybersett was the number one. He's since been supplanted by the youngster in Drake May. So it can be difficult to go from one quarterback to another. There's a lot of variables there. Quarterbacks like certain things. You know, they like their receivers to be in certain places, and you know, running certain roots, and so I think not just the transition from college to the pros, but being able to work with two different quarters backs at the same time, I think there are some challenges there. That being said, moving forward, I'm optimistic about this group in the passing game because I think Breake May has showed an awful lot over the course of.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen. I haven't seen. I went to one Patriots game earlier this year, but I haven't on TV of course watch them all. I haven't seen a lot of broken roots routes. I saw Aaron Rodgers was flabbergasted frustrated by his receivers in the Jets game, particularly the one at Gillette, but I love to catch that. Douglas made the one handed catch.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Great, Yeah, I mean those are those our fabulous places. But I think the roots, the routes they are running are pretty good. And look May's throwing the ball. He's got a pass percentage completion rating of what seventy percent. I mean, that's an extraordinary figure for anyone, particularly a quarterback that doesn't have the greatest offensive line in front of him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, there you go. And that's part of it too, Dan, And I'm glad you bring that up. That an offensive line, and you can remember the days of Johnahannah and Leon Gray and Pete Brock and all the way up through Matt Lte and Nate Solder. An offensive line to make an average quarterback good and a good quarterback great. And I think that's one of the issues that they've had on the offense as a whole, and not just the passing game and the receivers. But they've had through nine games, they've had eight different combinations up starting combinations up front, and so you know as well as I do, that it takes a while you know, we talked about chemistry between the wide receivers and the quarterback. It takes a while to be able to build chemistry and continuity and consistency when you're doing so much shuffling along the offensive line. And so I think that they've kind of found a combination that works for them right now, but you can still I think they're going to continue to tinker with this group moving forward because part of it they're young. Part of it they're young. They're leaning on a couple of young guys. They've had some injury too. With David Andrews, who's been so consistent, so good for such a long time. That was really Yeah, that was that was really tough for them, especially when you're working with the young centers, working with a young quarterback and Drake may So they've had some breakdowns, they've had some ineffective play, they've had some some some injury issues, and honestly, part of it too, dam Like we said before, the wide receivers, a lot of his youth, and there's new faces, there's new offensive coordinator, new offensive line coach, and so everyone even nine ten games in now, everyone is still kind of trying to get to know one another a little bit because there's been so little consistency, so little continuity all across the border on the offensive side of the ball, and.
Speaker 2: At this point they're not going to make the playoffs. You know, make your mistakes, learn from your mistakes, and offensive line they have to almost intuitively know, Okay, if that guy splits in, who's picking him up, who's helping me out? You know with my I'm responsibility because I got to be looking at this guy who's blitzing from the left. Just a yeah. It's the sort of stuff that as they as I think Rick Patino once said, John Hannah and Leon Gray aren't walking through that door anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Very Well said, very well, really, yeah, I really appreciate.
Speaker 2: And I'll be following you a little bit more closely on the pages of the Boston Globe. You know, as I tell everybody from the Globe, the sports page of the Boston Globe, I never disagree with them on anything. The editorial page kind of a different story, Chris, But I love the sports page showing to see the whole group of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm lucky to be a part of that group. I really am. It didn honor to be to be in their company. So yeah, it is. It should be a good rest of the year, and it should be an interesting rest of the year because right now they're they're in line to have the first overall pick in.
Speaker 2: So we'll say I'd rather finish last than about sixth from last in the middle of the Thanks, thanks so much, Chris. We'll have you again if you'd be so kind. Appreciate it very much.
Speaker 3: Have a great night. Take care all right.
Speaker 2: So we're going to go from football to a special Olympics bowling. Going to be talking with Mark ericson of the Special Olympics in New Hampshire, and a little bit later on tonight we're going to talk about getting past what happened this week with family and friends, you know what I'm talking about. We're also going to talk about the severe drought that now is affecting Massachusetts football in the evening news and you see all sorts of grass fires everywhere. Back on Nightside, my name is Dan Ray. Any night I start off with football, it's always fun. Stay right with us. By the way, if you haven't any trouble picking up our signal, just go to the iHeart app downloaded for free. And you can listen to WBZ throughout the day twenty four to seven, three and sixty five days a year. Back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to talk about a big event coming up this weekend, actually a series of events. Mark Erickson of the New Hampshire Special Olympics joins us. We've had Mark with us before, and this competition is all about bowling, ten pin bowling, bubbera bowling, all sorts of bowling activity. I think the only thing I don't see are duck pins. Mark, Welcome to NIGHTSI welcome back.
Speaker 4: Good evening, Dan, thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell you. I'll tell us about it. First of all, how many people you have? Is it five or six locations this this Saturday?
Speaker 4: Well, we're looking at seven locations on Saturday and one location on Sunday. It's the State Bowling Competition, and it's kind of the inverse of our regular state competitions for our state Summer Games. Everybody comes from all over the state and converges on the campus of u n H and Durham for our State Winter Games. Everybody comes from all over the state and converges in Waterville Valley. This time we go everywhere all over the state. We are out this Saturday in Berlin, Clairemont, Exeter, Keene, Laconia, and two venues in Manchester. And then on Sunday we are in Nashua for bowling competition.
Speaker 2: So is there a competition on Saturday or do you pick the best bowlers? How does this or does it? Does it all? Explain to us how it works? How is Saturday different from Sunday? Other than obviously six.
Speaker 4: Lanes to one lane, every competition is specific to its individual area. And to be completely honest about it, the scheduling this year was simply a league conflict in Nashua and we had to be bumped from Saturday to Sunday. Most years we do everything on the Saturday, but again it's all specific to each geographical area. This particular year Sunday we had to be bumped in national sports meeting.
Speaker 2: That's fair, okay. So overall, with all the locations on Saturday and Sunday, how many Special Olympians will be participating?
Speaker 4: We are looking at more than six hundred Special Olympics athletes competing this coming weekend. Last number I saw, I think there was about six hundred and twenty athletes total will be competing this weekend all over the state.
Speaker 2: The reason that I like bowling, it's a wonderful sport. You do not have to have any great physical size. You know, if you want to play basketball, it's always better if you're seven feet tall for the most part, or if you're going to be a football player, whatever. But I mean, everybody can participate in bowling and a lot of it is just a lot of fun. So I'm sure that this is an event and annual event that the Special Olympians up in New Hampshire must really enjoy. First of all, your indoors, you don't have to worry about the weather, there's refreshments nearby. I mean, it's a perfect it's a perfect way to spend a weekend day.
Speaker 4: Plos, you mentioned it at the very top of the interview. It is bowling. There is buffer bowling involved in some instances, and there is adaptive bowling involved in some instances as well, depending upon each individual athlete and their specific needs. I'll tell you a quick story during the pandemic when we were locked down all special Olympics programs all over the country New Hampshire, Massachusetts. Everybody was doing our very best to stay connected to our athlete community by reaching out to them online with various incentives, various games, and some surveys as well. One of the surveys we did during the pandemic was when it's time to come back, what is the first thing everyone wanted to do? And the answer was bowling And we all kind of sat around on a zoom call trying to figure it all out, and then we realized it's not so much in that particular instance, the competition, although that's important to all of our athletes, but it was the social component to being in the bowling alley, to talking to other athletes from other parts of the state and pizza and soft drinks and having a great social time.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the last time I was in a bowling alley that I can remember in New Hampshire was nineteen eighty four. And the reason I remember it, I was covering John Glenn's very brief senator from Ohio presidential campaign. Now Here you have John Glenn, the guy that he was a fighter pilot, he circled the world, he was one of the original astronauts, and they put him in a bowling alley. We were doing a story for Channel four. Of course, he bowls the obligatory bowling ball down the lane and when you know it, about halfway down the lane, the ball is in the gutter. Was kind of it sort of was a metaphor for his presidential campaign. But I thought to myself, here's a guy who's was a great athlete, obviously had wonderful eye hand coordination being a fighter pilot, and then an astronaut circle the earth, I mean, just and you know he had the misfortune he's not a bowler, so I suspect that and I did it. I basically, of course, used the video of the ball going in the gutter. And his campaign wasn't going anywhere for president, great senator, but he That was the year that I think Walter Mondale and Gary Hart fought it out and Mondale was the nominee and he lost anyway. But the point is I got some criticism for some people. They said, how could you put a picture of the great astronaut John Glenn bowling a ball down a bowling alley in New Hampshire into the gutter? I said, look, you know, don't take things so seriously here. So I hope that everybody. I know your olympians are going to take it very seriously. But if any of them get discouraged, just let them know that John Glenn has thrown a gutter ball too. And if John Glenn could throw a gutter ball, I think every one of them. So that's the last time I was in a bowling alley in New Hampshire and that story has stuck with me all of these years.
Speaker 4: One if an American hero like John Glenn can throw a gunner ball, there's hope for all the rest of us.
Speaker 2: I would think so, I would think so. So if folks need any information, what can they do between now and Saturday. If they're not signed up, they're still openings. Can people go by and just participate in support? Give us the best way people can get more information.
Speaker 4: The athletes are set. They've actually been training for ten weeks and some of them even a little bit more than ten weeks stage of the game, so the athlete cards are all set. However, we will love it when spectators come out and cheer our athletes on. And if you want any information about our schedules and events. So O NH dot org is in Special Olympics New Hampshire s O NH dot org. Click on the calendar. You've got the schedule. It has the dates and times and the addresses for all of the bowling venues this weekend. It's our Special Olympics New Hampshire State Bowling tournament statewide again. We're in Berlin, Claremont, Exeter, Keen, Laconia. Two venues in Manchester, one candlepin, one tenpin, and on Sunday we are in Nashua as well, and we would love to have you cheering on our athletes.
Speaker 2: All right, and the website again is s Special Olympics NH dot org. So so O NH dot org. Great Mark, best of luck with it, okay, and I'm sure it's going to be a great day successful for again Special Olympics in New Hampshire. Appreciate you joining us as always.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, have a great YouTube, Mark.
Speaker 2: Okay, we get back. We're going to talk about the election, big election two nights ago. Maybe some of you heard that, how it turned out. We're going to be talking with an expert about how you deal with this, maybe with your friends maybe with family members. I mean, you just don't want to lose friendships over this. And we're going to talk with doctor Laura Gabion, she's a physician and a researcher how to move forward post election with family and friends. We'll be right back on Night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, there was an election on Tuesday night. Maybe some of you followed it. A lot of you probably followed it, and I know that there's a lot of families who had people on both sides of the election with us. Now is an author who's also a physician and a researcher, Doctor Laura Gabion, Uh, doctor aka doctor G. Welcome, Welcome tonight's side. The question is how to move forward post election with family and friends. I don't know about your family, doctor G, but there's a lot of disagreement within my immediate in my extended family over this election. Will I will be happy to tell you that. Are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for having me, and I agree. I think there are a lot of emotions with dollars. So my suggestion is, first, don't talk about politics, and the second, I have other thoughts, but I can tell you, oh yeah, no, I.
Speaker 2: Want to hear your other thoughts here. First, First of all, there's always going to be someone who wants to talk about politics. So yeah, if people don't talk about politics, that I guess is one way to make sure. But I think it does come up, and it will come up, particularly if the families are getting together and maybe someone's had a beer or a glass of wine, as often happens if someone in the family wants to bring it up. Now we've been through three of these. When you think about it, twenty sixteen, the feelings were strong and high, twenty twenty and now twenty twenty four. So how do you diffuse the situations? I should says? What's that?
Speaker 5: I think the best is to focus on calmonalgies and to realize that you guys are more like than you are different and behind. And in my book I found eight elements of wisdom in my book Comridism, and four of them are elements that will help you connect with others, and kindness is one of them. So being humble, tolerant, turtious, and kind are really important. So when you talk with people, realize that you're not going to agree, and in my opinion, don't talk about it because bannard and has made emotions even higher than they need to be, and people are just they judge, they assume they politics has become like a sign of your intelligence. It just has become so many other things. So my thoughts are, if no one brings it up, look at them and say, look, I like you a lot more than I do. These issues you mean more to me, and my relationship with you is a lot more important, and I just remind them that No, I think it's right.
Speaker 2: I remember when twenty sixteen, after that election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, I suggested to my listeners. I said, look, you're going to have to talk about politics. I said, when you go to family dinner at Thanksgiving, because obviously Thanksgiving is always a couple of weeks after the November early November elections, I said, you know, were your mega had or were your Hillary Clinton's son bonnet? A lot of women were wearing Hillary supporters, I should say, were wearing kind of that that that Martha's Vineyard type wide brimmed hats at the time. Uh, and it was I guess it was. It did work out and in twenty twenty. I I told people, don't even talk about it, and so I don't know what I'm going to tell them to do. I guess I'll follow your lead. Tell us about the book. The book is titled give Me the Proper Title of.
Speaker 5: Common Common, And the reason is because it's tossed at the eight common elements that these wise individuals had in common. And there were sixty wise adults across North America and they they and let me tell you about the eight elements. Resilians, Yeah, go ahead, looking forward, Yeah, pogitivity, spirituality, humility, tolerance, creativity, and curiosity. And these are all elements that they had in common. And it was it was me being the scientist and the researcher wanting to break down wisdom. We really did not know what it was. And it was kind of more of, oh, I know it when I see it, And I really wanted to break it down to eight elements or so whatever elements I found, I was not repressing eight. And I found these eight and I and and it kind of makes it so that if someone reads the book, they look at it and think, well, I'm really good at this, and I'm not good at that.
Speaker 2: You the elements really real. I just want to touch upon them again because I think you got seven there, but I got the eighth, which I think is so important. Resilience, kindness, positivity, spirituality, however that is defined, whether it's formal religion or just spirituality, tolerance, humility, creativity. And the one that I think is the best sign of intelligence is curiosity.
Speaker 5: I c the foundation of album.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Einstein at one point said something how that he wasn't all that intelligent, but he was extremely curious.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I know I'm not all that intelligent, but I know that I am pretty curious. And if you and I sat on a plane together it was any longer than an our flight, I would if you were willing, I'd have a conversation. And I learned a lot about you and find out that you were an author. And I love the phrase common wisdom. It's kind of similar to the phrase of common sense. And for a long time people that phrase. They depreciated the value of that phrase. And I think that that there's a lot of value in common sense, and I'm sure there's a lot of value in common wisdom. How was it that you began to research this area? Is that your area of expertise or is this an area? No?
Speaker 5: No, So I'm no. I'm a researcher and I am used to doing research. I had no idea what wisdom was. And then twenty thirteen I noticed that I developed a lot of weakness and you can tell for my speech, so my muscles are weaker than expected. And then I realized the medical establishment, which I was a part of, was so into labeling me and putting me in the box. So then I thought, well, who thought outside the box? And it was the wise And that's when I kind of went down that track of learning more about wisdom and I did the study about with and I talked to sixty wives individuals.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, I think it's it's a great idea. And again the book Common Wisdom, I assume it's available, if not bookstores, every bookstore. Everybody gets their books through Amazon these days. I I hope that it has been circulated well and uh and then and it's been that has been sold a lot of How long this has been out is a question I always ask.
Speaker 5: I came out in March, March, Yeah, it's a new book. And then it is on Amazon. People can get it off of my website, Lauragobine dot com or the original website where I found I mean, my sixty would go to to kind of make sure that this is a legitimate program. Was the Wisdom Research Project dot com and okay, both linked to Amazon, and Amazon is a great place to get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me I'm just gonna again. I want to spell your name for people. It's common Wisdom. Okay, that's eight scientific element elements of a meaningful life is the subtitle by doctor Laura l A U r A gabion g A b A y A. N uh So that's the easiest way through. Again, your website, I assume is your website, doctor Laura Gabyon dot com.
Speaker 5: No, no, it's Laura dot com. Okay, Amazon if you put in common Wisdom or Amazon come on too, perfect perfect perfect.
Speaker 2: That's great. Well, look, thanks very much. I enjoyed our conversation. And uh I perhaps we will have you back when you write your next book. Thanks very much, doctor ga.
Speaker 5: Okay, take care.
Speaker 2: All right, good night, Okay, we get back. We're going to talk about this severe drought that I think all of us have seen firsthand here in Massachusetts. If we have not experience that up close and personal. We have seen some of these brushfires that with a little with a lot of dryness and some wind, really have threatened. We see what goes on in California all the time, but we're getting a taste of it here in Massachusetts. And we will talk with a meteorologist right after the break here on Nightside. Stay with us.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, you do not have to be a close observer of the news to realize that we have some fire issues here in Massachusetts. And of course there are fire issues out in California the likes of which we have never seen. But even here in Massachusetts, we're in the midst of a drought. The grass, the leaves, i should say particularly, are just tinder dry, and we've seen a bunch of these fires that have started, oftentimes from a spark from a lawnmower or just someone out with the lawnmower and the engine gets so hot and ignites. Leaves. With us to talk about our weather and the drought that we've now really fully experiencing is Hayden Frank. He's with the National Weather Service out in Norton. Also they're located in Boston as well. Hayden, Frank, Welcome to Night sid How are you?
Speaker 3: Oh good? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm just great, Thank you for joining us tonight. So we have not had a lot of rain this summer or this spring, and certainly not this fall. How severe a drought is it that we're experiencing.
Speaker 6: Well over much of the state, Dan, it's a moderate to severe drought right now. For example, Boston itself sins September first has had two point twenty four inches of rainfall. The normal from September first to now should be eight point four to two inches, So that's six point one eight inches the below normal. That's a big, big departure.
Speaker 2: We had a bunch of rain in certain areas in August. I remember some very intense rainstorms in August. But then it's been really quiet, and of course, with the weather being a little warmer, the nights have been a little bit warmer. When is this gonna break for us? So when is this going to turn? I watched the nightly newscasts and the weather forecasts every night, and I think there was some suggestion there might be a little bit of rain coming in over the weekend. Late over the weekend Monday. What are you folks seeing at the National Weather Service?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, what's happened, Dan, We've been in this area where high pressure has just blocked everything to our south. It does look like we're gonna see a light amount of rainfall like Sunday night into early Monday, but not a lot and unfortunately the first part of that week looks dry. Can tell you that there is some hope on the horizon, although it's a long way off. Uh, sometime late next week or next weekend. Some of the model guidance we're looking at does show that we may get so much needed rainfall, but it's too far out to say for sure. But that's the first time we've had anything really show up in our models for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Where is where is that coming from? I know that there's there's a storm brewing down in the Caribbean. Is is that coming from up from the south or is that coming in from Canada? What's what's the source of that or the potential source?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the potential source is actual actually would be coming from the southwest and then kind of developing off the coast if it were to happen, and yeah, that would be a setup for much needed rainfall. It looks like if it does happen sometime in the you know, Thursday of next week into the weekend that following weekend. But again, you know this, it's still over a week out, so a lot of uncertainty. It's not a guarantee that it's going to happen. It just depends on the track there.
Speaker 2: Now, we had a lot of wet weather I believe, in January and then again in March, so we were doing pretty well in terms of precipitation. How odd is it that here in New England where we always associate the fall days with some heavy rainstorms. Me and even as kids going back to school, you knew that you were had to put on those galoshes back in the day and buckle up and go through some puddles. I don't know if you're a native of New England or but I am, and I remember those days often you could always count on rain in the fall. How often if we had a stretch like this at this time of year, meaning you know, literally late spring, throughout most of the summer and now into November.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's pretty unusual, but it's not unprecedented. You know, you get a setup like this maybe every five, ten, fifteen years where you do go even in the Northeast. I'm from Philadelphia, so it's kind of similar. There's not really a dry, dry season. It's you know, always seems to be you know, rain every several every few days. So it is unusual to get prolonged dryness that we've seen, but it's not unprecedented and it does happen from time to time.
Speaker 2: I think some of the weather forecasters tonight was saying that in the next day or so, the temperatures are going to get more fall like, meaning a little colder than what we've had. I mean, I think you know where I am has been in the seventies most of the week here in New England. Is your sense that that it's going to get a little colder this particular weekend. I mean, it's not going to be in the twenties. We know that. Will that help the drought at all? Will that generates some ground moisture, some dew, whether whether it's frost or not, but at least some dew in the pumpkin?
Speaker 6: What actually actually it kind of works the opposite way, because we are getting a shot of chilly air later tomorrow and especially tomorrow night. We're still looking highs in the sixties tomorrow, which our normal high for this time of year is actually fifty five degrees. I mean, we were seventy two today. In the day before we were eighty two, which was the latest eight time Boston had recorded to eighty degrees so late in the season.
Speaker 2: But it does a little cold snap here you're telling me, is not only not going to help us, but it's probably going to dry things out even more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean yeah, So like tomorrow afternoon and into tomorrow evening, the probably going to see some wing us of twenty five to thirty five miles per hour, maybe a few gous up to forty. So we do have red flag warnings out again for tomorrow because of the wind and the dryness. We're actually going to be lowering our due points with that cooler air mast coming in, so that's going to add to lower relative humidities.
Speaker 2: So the best we can hope for, it sounds to me like, is maybe about a week from today we might get a real rainstorm for the which would be the first one since what late August?
Speaker 6: I guess it's been Yeah, it's been a while. You know, the Cape had a good rainstorm at the end of summer there, but yeah, it's been extremely dry and we do need the rain. We are going to get a little Sunday night, but not much. So it looks like we're going to have to wait till late next week or next weekend, and we'll have to see how that unfolds. Again, it's more than a week out, but for the first time in a while, there are signs pointing to a potential period of much needed rainfall, hopefully a soaking rainfall.
Speaker 2: Well that's great. Look, I really appreciate Hayden jumping on with us tonight. You're down with the National Weather Service and how long have how long have you been working up in this neck of the woods. I know you said you grew up in Philly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I've been well working for the Weather Service here for about twenty years. Hard to believe time flies, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean you can. That's almost being a native.
Speaker 6: I guess, yeah, exactly, I feel like it right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'll tell you the one thing about weather forecasting. I'm not a meteorologist. But I have a lot of friends who are and they say that it's challenging here in New England. There are place but places around the country like San Diego where every day it like it's like, you know, rinse and repeat, you know, be a seventy five degrees in sunny, you know, three hundred yeah here, yeah, no, you get what was real quick question? And this is just this is a total off the wall question. So if you haven't thought about this one, what are they talking about for snow this winter? We've had a pretty mild last winters the last couple of years. Any long range thoughts about how much snow we might have might not get this winter here in New England.
Speaker 6: So long range forecasts are obviously quite difficult once you get beyond a week out in the future. You know, right now the forecast favors temperatures to average a bit above normal, But in terms of snowfall, that's much harder to assess, because you know, for example, Boston itself averages forty five to fifty inches a year, not nothing close to that the last two years. But if you get you know, two or three big storms that could you know, take you eighty percent of the way there. So even if the winner ends up being you know, above normal, you can actually still have above normal snowfall. So that's really difficult to Well, well we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk, we'll talk. I didn't mean to spring that one on you, but we'll talk about that maybe some other time. Okay, Hey, thank you so much. I'll let you I'll let you go and get back to the to the weather dial. Thanks man, appreciate it. Hey, Frank, and you're very very hit welcome and thank you for joining us for the National Weather Service. We get back, we're going to talk about the Karen Reid trial and some arguments in front of the State Supreme Court yesterday which could be pretty significant. Back right after the nine o'clock news here on Night Side,