Speaker 1: Hi, I'm an Colter. Welcome to my sub stack. I'm interviewing probably the best member of the House of Representatives, Representative Chip roy the actual MAGA representative on immigration who's now running for Attorney General of Texas, which I also want to talk to you about, but mostly immigration. Welcome Representative Roy.
Speaker 2: Well, a good morning. It's a very low bar to crossing Congress to be the best member of Congress, but I appreciate it. You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that is so impressive about you, and maybe we'll get to that, though I really want to talk more about immigration, is you know, there are moments in history where you know, wild things are going on and you don't know what you should be saying now when how it to look in history? And I would say January sixth was one of those moments. Fox News certainly got it completely wrong, and oh my gosh, it every step of the way. If you could go back and write a history of what a politician in Washington should have said, at every step of the way you did it, it's just incredibly impressive. Starting with asking Meadows for the evidence. We're happy, we're happy to back up President Trump, but you got to give us something to work with, and defending Liz Cheney for to some extent not being thrown off simply for what her position was, but then going after her for turning it into looking backwards. But anyway, was there anyone as good as you were during that time? You were really pitch perfect every step of the way.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, it was an interesting time to go through. And I tried to let the Constitution be my guide. I tried to at every step of the way seek truth wherever it may lead. Right, I'm a Jefferson guy. That's Jefferson quote. And at every step I'd say, look, I know there was fraud here. Of course there was. We turned our elections over to a mail in ballot scheme. No kidding, there was fraud. So that was a mistake. So we go through all that and say, all right, there was fraud, let's pursue it. Then we need the evidence. Let's make sure we can demonstrate that they're in fact a state might present different slate of electors. Okay, great, let's go work with the states to try to demonstrate where we believe there's fraud, work through the process, and then get to election day. Do what you think is right in my view, we only had fifty slates of electors. You got to defend the constitution. You can't just unilaterally empower the Vice president. And at various points in times the point about Liz, my opponent is attacking me for quote defending Liz Cheney and my race for Attorney General. What I said was what I was doing was try to defend the process and then say, Liz, you can't lose your frigging mind and then not represent the Republican Conference. So we work through a process to do that with then Speaker McCarthy, who I was pushing from the right, and at the end of the day, then Liz, continue to lose your mind, and I said, all right, Liz, we got to go get a different Republican Conference chair. But at every point you're trying to figure out how to navigate things, to try to preserve a country and to stand up and defend a sovereign nation under the rule of law and the constitution. And that's what I think the American people want right now. It's why running for Attorney general, to try to secure the border, to try to stop the March of Islam, to try to stop members of Congress, and you know, the swamp creatures from destroying our country and ignoring that we need to actually do the job that we said we would do, and that's what I've always tried to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, it's very impressive. I recommend that anyone go read your Wikipedia page for all these controversies, and if you could go back and write the history of Oh I wish I'd said that. I wish I'd been in that position. You did it right. They are live in real time. I also like how you've worked for worked with lots of Republicans and cross them when they were wrong, but then you know, defend them personally, come back and endorse them, as in the case of both Ted Kruz and Ken Paxton. No, you really are. It's very impressive the way you've handled your career. But let's get to the most important issue, immigration, About the only one I trust on immigration one is why? Well, probably the overarching question is what is it with your fellow Republicans? And I'd say Democrats, but forget them, your fellow Republicans not understanding that immigration determines every other issue. Does everyone have to live in Texas and California before they understand how the country will change if we just continue this unrestricted third worlder is pouring into our nation. You talk to them, you work with them. Is it the donors? Are they afraid of being seen as racist? What is it with them?
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of things going on with your kind of radical leftists or are weak Republicans. Some of them do come from states where they just have no idea. I remember I was getting lecture by a member of Congress from Vermont and I was like, they're talking about the immigration issue, and I was like, I looked up the data, and you guys have like sixteen thousand people, you know that aren't lily livered leftist white people up in Vermont, And you want to lecture me when we've got like three or four million people in Texas illegally, Like it's insane. They have no idea, right. But the real issue, the real issue, I think has been that the Chamber of Commerce Republicans have been the driving force behind the Republican Party for at least three or four decades, and so it's always the default to, oh, but we've got to have the talent ship. We won't have a workforce, right, you've got to go to India, You've got to go to you know, the Middle East, you got to go to the you know, China, and guys, we're not going to have a country left, right Like in other words, it goes well beyond just the fact that we were being weak about the border and securing the border. It goes to the fact that they don't want to acknowledge that maybe we have a country we need to preserve, right And you know, I'll talk about how we are now at the highest percentage of foreign born people in the United States that we've ever had. We're at fifty one and a half or fifty two or fifty three million people. That's sixteen plus percent, and that's higher than even it was in nineteen twenty right after we'd had the massive migration late eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds. Yet we froze immigration for about four decades in nineteen twenty five or so, right, and then it was Ted Kennedy and the leftist then a bunch of weak Chamber of Commerce Republicans that exploded the doors after nineteen sixty five, and then heavily in the nineties and two thousands. So I just don't think people want to acknowledge it. They've been you know, they've been trained to say, well, you know, we're a boarder. We're a country that you know opens our doors to everyone. Well, we yes, but we're a country that is supposed to acknowledge sovereignty and that we want to preserve who we are as America and a Christian culture. And that's what's at stake. And people I think are finally waking up to it, But only when you've got basically jihattists coming to our country and there's still not a way to it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. Speaking of keeping our doors open, I don't think there are any true assi LEAs in the world anymore. Most of them requesting asylum they just come from crappy countries. Well, the crappy countries because of the people who live in those countries. That's what they're used to. You bring them here, we become a crappy country. And even if there were another Hitler and another Holocaust going on someplace in the world, I don't know why they all need to come here. There are other countries that could take them out. Why don't Japan or Israel take a few of them?
Speaker 2: And this is exactly right. And this was actually what was so frustrating during the Biden Mayorcus years when you know, we had all these people coming in that were claiming asylum and then parole. Right, they were doing this purposely, and they were bastardizing our laws to show people into the country. But I think we've got this mistaken idea of asylum anyway. And you know, there's this whole concept of a save third country within our law, where you know, if you can get to the neighboring country and seek asylum, that's what you do. But we've been saying, oh, no, whatever will be the country that you just everybody can come to. You can go through thirty six countries to get here, and that's all fine, even though you were saved at thirty three of them along the way. And that has turned it into something that was never meant to be. And this is one of those things that I think drives me crazy the most because I can say something as a Christian, which I'm probably a Christian this, you know, coming out of this Holy weekend and Easter weekend, that yes, you've got someone, You've got a child, you got someone who's sick, or someone who's really fleeing oppression and they're on your front porch. Yes, we're called to help them, but what you don't do is turn your country over to say anybody can come here have babies. Let's not talk about the birthright citizens thebacle of the Supreme Court appears a poise to make which we should talk about, but that you can just anybody can come here, so we share. I shaired a hearing on these kinds of topics, and I was pressing one of the leftist witnesses, and I said, look, I want to be very clear. It's not PLYL or V do same topic. Right about free education for legal aliens. That's the same as birthright citizenship. That's the same as asylum and parole. Hey, everybody just come here. Don't mind to use our resources, spend our money, you know, marry our women, go to our hospitals, whatever you want. Insanity, Well, I asked this liberal. I said, let me ask you if there were you know they're about came remember the number. I said, there's a you know, maybe a trillion kids you know that are that are miners around the country. Can they all come to the United States tomorrow? The guys that will, of course not. And then I just went through it logically, five hundred billion, one hundred billion, a billion, you know how many can come. I'm not going to play your games, Congressman, It's not a game. You guys seem to think that anybody can come here have a baby, or anybody can come here, come to our school, and we're supposed to just educate them, and then you no longer have a country. That's the same issue with asylum, same issue with parole, birthright, citizenship, plalar vedo. We're either a nasian or or not. We have to decide.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And it's I mean that pretend we're open to the world, is it self discriminatory If we'll take all all the poor people of the world. Somehow we seem to be getting only those who live within walking distance. What about the poor who can't just walk here? Oh no, no, well they're on their own. And that's kind of a weird way to decide who gets to be your fellow citizen.
Speaker 2: Well, and importantly, what we're also doing is we're destroying a lot of other countries, right I remember, I think of in the Northern Triangle, one of the think was the first lady of I can't remember which country it was, but said, hey, you know, we're losing a lot of our people to America and we need to build our own country. I'm like, yes, we ought to be projecting power in the Western hemisphere and projecting and gay in the rule of law rather than saying, oh, that's okay, we don't have any doors, walk on in, because we're destroying countries in the process of saying that, we're trying to quote help people. And by the way, you're helping them by coming here making the wards of the state. I mean, that's it's insanity. That's not helping people. You know. Look, Milton Friedman famously said he was fine with open borders if you don't have a welfare state. Well, there are reasons why I would quibble with that, right Islam, other things, but in general, the point is right, right, if you don't have a welfare state and you have to make your own way, fine, I'm pretty I'm a lot more flexible and saying you want to come here and work hard, Okay, I'm listening, But we have a welfare state and we have you know, islam As who want to kill us, color me crazy. I think maybe we should keep that, you know crazy, you know Muslims out who are coming here or trying to kill us, and we should actually, you know, not invite people to come join a welfare state and have to carry the bill.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And not surprisingly Pwiler was a Texas case about whether Texans would have to keep paying for the free education of illegal aliens. Of course these cases come out of Texas and California. Y're the first ones. I mean, do people in Vermont and I don't know, tenth District of Kentucky. Your friend Thomas mass or whatever district he's from, is also one of those nineteen fifties demographic congressional districts. Ask you about him in a moment? Do they have do they not know anyone in Texas or California? Can they call them and ask how's it working out? And it was im pliler video, as you surely know. That's where Justice Brennan dropped the dicta not part of the ruling of the case, saying I see no difference in legal and illegal immigrants. And that's what led to what they're called birthright citizenship, which is really anchor babies, not birthright citizenship, birthright citizenship would be the children of legal aliens, and you know that's the big issue in the Supreme Court case. I listened to the argument again recently in the Supreme courtans it's not about our but I wish both Attorney General John Sower and I guess our side would stress the points that there weren't There wasn't an illegal immigration problem back then. It would be like, you know, trying to figure out how we would deal with I don't know, computer viruses or something after the Civil War. But they were the facts that in the case they're all looking to Wang King kim Ark, which was the child of a legal immigrant. They used the word domicile so much. Well, they wouldn't have used the word illegal alien because that expression didn't exist back then. It was what you're describing sink or swim, no welfare state, you can't make it, you go home. And I actually think sours argument was was pretty good in retrospect. I was kind of confused at the time because this whole domicile thing is trying to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants. But I just don't think the point is being stressed enough that no, it was never expressly stated because it didn't exist. But when Justice run and slipped that dicta in, it wasn't the rule that the children of illegal aliens were citizens. That's why he snuck it in there. Otherwise there couldn't even have been the case, Bler Beado. But you surely listened to the audient. What did you think of it?
Speaker 2: So in general, I mean I could and I could. I could go through this for a two hour segment, right, but let's let's just kind of get into the summary. I thought that when sour and when I think the case that the that the government was making, I think that led to I guess it was Kataji Brown Jackson's absurd japan Wallet, you know, line of questioning, which was ridiculous because he was basically, you know, trying to make I think a cogent case. And then the other issue that bothered me was when he said what he said about people can fly to our country to your point about illegal aliens, and then John Roberts says, yeah, but you know it's still the same constitution. Well, hold on, that's not the point. The point is we didn't have an entire machine dedicated to moving line some masses of people as a legal aliens and then coming here to have babies on our soil in that time period, as we do now. But here's what I wish that the government had stressed further, the absurdity of if you just had twenty million Chinese Communist mothers show up tomorrow pregnant with babies, and they had the babies on our soil tomorrow, you mean to tell me we suddenly have twenty million Chinese Communist babies because that's what the fourteenth heat Amendment meant. That's just clearly false. The fourteenth Amendment was to deal with slavery, So I wish we'd have made that argument a little bit more clear. When i've the amicus brief that I filed that a great appellate lawyer named Chuck Cooper worked with us on and Eric Schmid, who's the chair of the Subcommittee Constitution in the Senate. The three of us filed this brief. We were trying to really focus in obviously on subject to the jurisdiction thereof, and really highlight that issue and that important aspect of the fourteenth Amendment, because it gets to the heart of what the purpose of the fourteenth Amendment was about and like we can nerd out on the law here, but for everybody listening, it's so really important that we get this right or we literally, I don't think, have a country anymore. And if the court is going to side with the idea that the absurd example I gave that if twenty million, but it's not that absurd. If twenty million people come here and moms and have babies, bam, you have twenty million citizens that are now get they're citizens of China and the United States. That's clearly wrong. So I don't understand where Roberts and Amy Cody Barrett and a couple who seemed to be indicating that they were going to go you know, against the president's executive order. I don't know where they want to try to set the line. There's some line of DOMICILEI you're talking about this as well, that wouldn't be it. But if you're here, but you live here and you set up and you own a house because you came here illegally ten years ago, and then you have a kid, well, now you're just making crap up in the court instead of us setting a bright line. You're born of citizens and you're subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, then you're a citizen. Otherwise you should be naturalized. Anyway, we'll have to keep fighting and working through it, depending on what the court does. You know, that was a nineteen eighty two case, and you know, if you go back and look at the law, the court was basically acknowledging that they thought it was kind of ridiculous, but even in their own words, like in what they were acknowledging and saying in the case. But the court at that time, remember that was the same court that had decided Row ten years earlier in Texas, by the way, and you know, and it set this completely ridiculous notion that somehow the constitution says that if you're an illegal alien child and you can be deported, which under a law you could be deported. Nevertheless, a Texas taxpayer has to pay for that child's education. And the court basically acknowledge, oh, yeah, you could be deported, but oh, by the way, we just think it would be bad. We just think it would be wrong if you don't educate the child. Where in the hell is that in the constitution. It's not, And that's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes boy judges and Supreme Court wreck a country in the war in court or those years certainly showed it.
Speaker 3: I'm Greg Corumbus. Join Jim Garrity of National Review and me each weekday for the Three Martini Lunch Podcast. We'll give you the good, bat and crazy news of the day and lots of laughs too. Find us right here on the Ricochet Audio Network at ricochet dot com or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: I know what you reminded me of, Yeah, I guess, Amy Coney Barrett. I'm worried about and I'm also worried about Roberts for that insane done a ruling that Roberts gave. They acknowledge that Obama issues a completely illegal executive order allowing illegal aliens to Dreamers. I want the dreamers to go first, by the way. I want them gone before the felons. They're here illegally and they're obnoxious and stamping their feet. Now, dare you not give us amnesty? No? I want them gone for obnoxious. But anyway, he for the Dreamers, he says, we're going to give you work permits and you know the equivalent of a citizenship card. After saying over and over and over again to illegal aliens, I can't do anything. Congress has to pass the law. Congress didn't and wouldn't pass such a law. And then Trump comes in and overturns what Roberts acknowledges was an illegal executive order, which he overturns by executive order, and Roberts finds, Nope, can't do that. No, you can issue the illegal executive order, but you can't overturn an illegal executive order with an executive order. It's utter, complete madness. And if he'll do that with Dreamers, we have to hope Katanji Brown Jackson cares about the Civil War, the fact that the Fourteenth Amendment was entirely about freed slaves.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'm glad you mentioned that. It's a really important argument. And when I was the first assistant Attorney General, we were arguing, DAPPA right, DAPA, that's right, and that because that was our foray into the arguments. At the point in time, I got to remember exactly why that the batting order was was what it was. But we were setting up the stage for the DACA fight. Leaning into the case, I think where we had to strut the strongest case and parents, right, that's correct. And deferred action for parents. People don't know what the acronyms mean, right, deferred actions for these these children that the that the Obama administration just manufacturer had a thin air, then this was a okay. And if you're the parents of these children, right, it's what they always do that it's just like, oh, well, it's you know, we're gonna do one the little thing, and then we're gonna do another, and then do another, and we're making it all up as we go. Well, we won that case, right, the Dappa case, and it was very clear that it was a erroneous order by the president and that it wasn't enforceable. And then you know, fast forward your point about the arguments on on on DACA. You know, the problem is is when you have a court in the case of the Roberts Court, where you know, Roberts I think wants to is concerned about the legacy of the court. Right, When when that's your driving motivation, that's a problem. And I think that's what we solve with the saving Obamacare by calling it attacks, right, not a mandate. That's that's when you're dangerous. When when a judge is going to say, well, I know what's right here, but you know there are bigger things at play, and so we, the geniuses and rogues, are going to have to come in and be the adults to solve the problem. That's not at all what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to literally just look at the law and say what it is and then make the ruling. And had we done that with Obamacare, then we could have gone back to the Congress and fought it out. Had had we done this with Dappa and Dhaka, you know, you know we were successful at DAPPA, but had the had Chief Justice Roberts not done that, you know, we need to have a much more thorough understanding with the American people that the president cannot just unilaterally declare people status. You just can't do that contrary law. And that's what we need to be very clear about. And as Attorney General, I mean that's what I'll be fighting. Like Pylo Bido, we've not had to fight. We need to have it. Let's go at that fight. We need to keep fighting on birthright no matter what the Court does. If they get it wrong, we're going to go find other angles. Who fight it more. I don't accept that because some one court makes a bad decision, Well you're just stuck with it for one hundred years and then we'll just then maybe maybe you can reconsider precedent. That's ridiculous. We've got to fight everything right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so into precedent, and the precedent is overwhelming that the Fourteenth Amendment, at least the citizenship clause refers only to freed slaves. It's just that later case that applied to the Chinese child of Chinese legal immigrants. But I mean, the distinction in everyone's head is legal illegal. They just didn't use the word illegal anyway. One thing I also wanted to bring up was why are you one of the few guys who wanted to do the correct thing and impeach Homeland Security Secretary Ale jend the rule of my orcs. I thought it was so stupid, impeaching, trying to impeach big and it's not going to go any place. It's going to die. But myorcus, oh my gosh, he was violating federal I want him. Try maybe as Attorney general you could do that. Try him as an accessory to murder thousands upon thousands of mergers. But I mean, as you know, and I think much of the public doesn't, he was openly violating written federal law. You even if it's illegal, Assi Lee, and none of them are genuine assilies, you have to detain them. No, they're all just being processed, process processed, just open violation of our laws. Flying the man. If any cabinet official ever deserved to be impeached, why didn't that go any place? Why didn't all Republicans see he's the guy we need, we need to impeach.
Speaker 2: So in that in that summer, remember which year that was, Let's see the twenty third, twenty twenty one, maybe I can't remember. At the height of all of that, I was the first call Forer's impeachment. Wrote an entire case, like a whole memo outlining why he should be impeached. And there were multiple points in the argument. My good friend Andy Biggs, he's running for governor in Arizona, and he was also a champion of this very early to give credit words due and we leaned in hard, but we couldn't get the numbers we needed right, We forced the question at one point fell short. Then we're ultimately able to get the numbers and get him impeached, but it took two years of working at it to get it there. My argument was pretty simple one. He was very clearly violating our laws for an intentional policy choice of flooding our country with people from around the world in the false name of asylum, false name of parole and compassion. Literally, parole is supposed to be a singularly focused policy for one person for special cases. They were parolling thousands of people via an app and there was no basis in law to do it. That was endangering the American people. So he was not just negligent, but he was not even just wilfully blind. I mean he was literally orchestrating the conspiracy against our lause. And furthermore, he lied to me under oath when I pressed him on these questions, when he was sitting in front of me in the House is Shary Committee, and he would explicitly lie about the impact of these The border secure, we have it secure, Like I'm literally on the phone with border patrol right now. It's not secure, man. And the idea that we would not impeach somebody like that is absurd. We probably had about ten Republicans to go, well, Chip, you know, high crimes and misdemeanors, and they start arguing this arcane absurdity out of the Constitution and the truth. And look, by the way, I'm obviously I'll go to great pains at my own expense to remain faithful and fidelity to the Constitution. But I think it is a wrongheaded reading to not look at what the impeachment clauses were about. To say that if you're undermining the sovereignty, security, safety and well being of the American people, and you're the Secretary of Homeland Security and you're purposely making us less safe, that somehow that's not a high crime and misdemeanor, a violation of the public trust. Of course, he can be impeached. And as I said, he lied to me on the road, so we bought it. We got it. We obviously got him impeached. We weren't able to get him convicted, but it was an important and important statement and message to the world, and I was happy to lead that effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just couldn't understand why they bothered with the impeachment of BIB And that's that's for Twitter. The impeachment of my orcis. So that's going to be one of my tasks for you if when you become a journey General of Texas, because I happen to notice Texas is pretty aggressive about prosecuting accessories to murder, giving them the death penalty.
Speaker 2: Well, I think and one of the things that I think matters when we go back and look at all of this, it's all going to be tied back. Every question you've asked is all going to ultimately be tied back to the march of Islam across our country. And so everything that my orchest did, everything that happened in that administration, everything that we talked about impliler on birthright citizenship, everything we've talked about about the Chamber of Commerce, Republicans not understanding it, all of those issues tied back to one primary issue. If we don't stop the march of Islam into our country, we will not have a country. That's it Paris, London, It's coming here. We see it happening here. I'm Donnie Dearborn. You know, we were seeing it in Dallas and all these issues. So that's one of the reasons I'm so animated by this and happened for a number of years. As I've been watching the confluence, so many of these people are like, oh, but it's just about you know that Mexican wants to come here and work and you know, come get a job, Because that's not what it's about. It's about something much greater and much bigger than that.
Speaker 1: And what we're sorrying about the Mexicans? What's that in I'm more worried about the Mexicans because the numbers are just so enormous. We're turning ourselves into another failed Latin American country. And I can't tell you how much I wish one tenth of the firepower we're using on a row we're being used against the Mexican drug cartels. I mean they kill about one hundred thousand Americans every year in America. How many Iranians? How many Americans have Iranians killed every year for the past oh twenty twenty years, Like the Mexican drug cartels, that's whom we should be declaring war against. It's this Americans have this weird instinct that that we can't do anything that's good for America. No since since since the drug cartels are only killing Americans well, we can't do that. We have we have to go clean up the Middle East, someplace that is not killing Americans, at least not in America.
Speaker 2: But it looks like, well, I think we're we agree in that. You know. One of the first things I did in twenty nineteen was to make a put forward legislation to designate cartels as terrorist organizations, which is ultimately something the President's signed an executive war on a year ago. Because I had so many members of Congress who're like, ship, we can't do that, because you know, we got other things that are they're real terrorist organizations. What do you mean real terrorist organizations? These people are cutting people's heads off and making us in danger, to putting fentanyl into our communities and like running gangs and cartels up into Texas. Of course they're a terrorist organization, which you could take them out and treat them as such. And look, I think I do think this administration is serious about that, and part of the operation of Venezuela was dedicated to that task. I think we need to be much more aggressive in Mexico. I'm a Western hemisphere guy. I think we need to focus on the Western hemisphere and figure out how to root out all the terror activities and so forth. And my main point about Islam is one predominantly because I've been very public about my suspicion about a two hundred billion dollars blank check about not putting ground troops on the ground and so forth in what's going on in the Middle East. But my biggest issue is is the legal immigration system. We're importing people here who don't love America, okay, from all walks of life, and the growth of Islam in Texas is one of those byproducts. And just for everybody listening out there, it's all of this bine. You're going to lose your country if you don't have a border and if you don't stop imboarding people who don't share your values. Whether there's two million people rooting for Mexicans in the World Cup or rooting for you know, all the other countries. When you've got the World Baseball Classic here, you've got a stadium full of people in an American stadium rooting for the other team. I think you've got a pretty good idea of the problem you have here. That's true from that standpoint as well as from the March of Islam. Hi I'm Ben Sas and I'm Chris Sneierwald, And this is not dead yet.
Speaker 3: We're all dying, but some of us have been brought face to face with that reality. However long each of us have to do it though.
Speaker 2: We all want to live a good life.
Speaker 3: One with meaning, love and joy, and our guests are here to help us do exactly that.
Speaker 2: Now available for download and streaming at ricochet dot com. Ricochet Join the conversation.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many mosques there are in Texas?
Speaker 2: Three hundred, three hundred and thirty and growing. There's more being built in Texas every year than any other state.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that's an important issue for you. Also, I loved I think I just mentioned. Although we're always saying the right thing at each moment. Although you did call for Ken Paxton's resignation when when he fired staffers instead of I don't know, owning up to bribery or whatever it was, even endorsed him for the Senate. Now am I right on that? Well?
Speaker 2: I've said that I'm good with with with Ken, and we've we've kind of made amends and moving forward. We neither one of us have endorsed each other, but it's you know, we're all working together and trying to get elected and get through this, you know, make sure we beat Democrats here in Texas. And you know, look, Ken and I move move forward, and we're working together and how we can represent Texas. So we're important.
Speaker 1: One of the great things about him that I hope you will continue as AG. I had an injuryw with Chris Koeback AG of Kansas a week or two ago, and I know Chris Paxton spearheaded which Kobac followed very quickly with asking Department of Homeland Security for lists of illegal aliens in their states so they could to help them purge the voters roles of illegal aliens. And by the way, breaking the law like voting illegally, using home and Social Security card, illegally crossing the border illegally, those would very clearly be contradictory to domicile, which is why I think General Souer was stressing that so much domicile is a synonym for illegal. Paxton has been pretty good on immigration.
Speaker 2: It's been very good. I mean the reason that I was delighted to work for Ken when I was a first assistant and we built a great team and went to war. Was because of our very much in line ideology. I'll say this. He's been advocating for the Save America Act, which I authored obviously in the House representatives of Mike Lee in the Senate. The Save America Act, it gets right to the heart that people say, oh, you're going to have these owners requirements to check citizenship. It's like, well, give me a break. I mean, this is ridiculous. But it's a good bill on voter idea in that. But the part that people don't understand is that we clean up the mess that the courts created on the state's ability to check voter roles, because right now there are restrictions and limitations that were put in place by judges limiting the state's ability to check the voter roles. Arizona, for example, has two different systems, one for state law, one for federal where they check the voter rules for state. They don't for federal because of those limitations.
Speaker 1: So what are the limitations. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: Well, what the court came in and said was that, I guess under the what was it, the MVRA from nineteen ninety whatever, it was ninety five or six that the way it was interpreted by the courts was a limitation on your ability to check the voter roles when you're running the database against it for your elections in the state. So the state says, hey, we want to check them. This was a limit on that. So the Save America had cleans that up and says that is not the case. We not only want to get rid of that barrier, we want to require states and the federal government to check the voter rolls so that you know that everyone is a citizen that is voting, in addition to the other requirements we put in place. I'll send you the details on that, but it's absurd.
Speaker 1: One question I have about the Save Act, which seems like a legit complaint, and maybe this is fake news, but that a woman who's gotten married takes her husband's name, her birth certificate won't have her married name, has to go dig up the marriage certificate, go back in and present it and I don't know. I mean, I guess it's not an insuper bowl burden, but it does seem a little annoying.
Speaker 2: So the way we handled that was we put in place whatever the states want to do to be able to make it to where whatever you have to do when you want to prove citizenship. So let's take a step back. We don't change anything. If your exist, if you're already registered, you can go vote. It's when you have a life changing event, whatever it is, if you move, you know, yes, you get married, divorce, whatever, and you got to go what you have to do anyway, right, you got to go change all your paperwork with a state. When you do that, you just have to take that extra level of documentation to demonstrate citizenship. And we added a clause in their end, which I think should be the one that takes care of it, which says a state must allow a woman, or really doesn't say woman, a person to sign an affidavit that just says I'm the same person. So I'm Sarah Smith on my birth certificate, I'm Sarah Jones on my driver's license. I'm the same person. Done, and that's under penalty perjury. But what that does is enables anybody to do it in a one step process. So if you can't, if you don't have a passport, if you can't find your old license, just go to the DMB. You sign up to register to vote, and your citizenship. All you're doing is saying I'm the same person and I'm signing it under penalty perjury. Then if we get people trying to do it for fraud, we can go back and go after them because they signed it. That's all we do.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that's an important clarification that, weirdly I haven't heard on CNN or MS. Now, Okay, I'm going to let you go soon. I know you have an important campaign to run, But I have one last important question that is just something that's always driven me crazy about the way we talk about illegal immigration. So, for example, under Biden, you know, on a particular year, first year, I think two point seven encounters at the border something like that with illegal aliens. But then they always act they anyone who talks about this, the border patrol, politicians, everyone just axcepts some absolute definite number for the quote got aways, i e. The ones who slipped in past the border patrol. Well, if they slipped in past the border patrol, how do we know it's exactly seven hundred thousand. How do we know it's not ten millions slipped in past? The way they got away is the point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of those questions that I've always especially in the height of the crisis two three, four years ago, that's what I would go out and say, guys, we have no idea. What we have our estimates that border patrol and good faith. You know, my friends down there that are all working on it, they'll look at cameras, they at somebody's job, they check it right and say, well, we saw thirty six go across that camera spot. You know, we've got to work you know. Then they try to go on, are those the same people? Because the camera will catch a mirror and then over there. So they do an estimate, and that's all they can do. So there's no way to really know for sure, especially where cameras aren't working wherever they're crossing. So that's one of those things that I think people don't know. And I got to say right now, and with all due respect, and by the way, you know, this administration border patrol, they're doing a great job. They're doing what they're supposed to be doing. But you can always do more. Right and right now, we can't get good answers on all right, how many gudaways are there right now? How many get you know, we're trying to push to say, as good as it is now, I know there's still people sneaking into our country, and so we're trying to press for that as we're supposed to do, and people have no under no idea in understanding now bad at how wide open the border was. But importantly this part what you brought up rightly on asylum and parole. When you're basically inviting people here and saying that we're going to allow you to come in. You can have a wall that's a an on four efens for a wall, let me be clear, but you can have one from the Gulf America to the Pacific. But if you're opening the door and saying asylum and parole, then it's all academic. That's why I drafted HR two. I actually drafted a bill that was better than HR two, but Tony Gonzalez through a fit. So we worked through and got a bill that was pretty much ninety percent of it in HR two. And that was a part of the speaker deal. Remember that we had that big fight on the floor of the House and everybody's like, Chip, you're going to cost us the speakership. It's like, no, we're not calm down. We worked out a deal. We got HR two as a part of that agreement. We need to pass that again. Now we're eighteen months into this Congress. For sixteen months, why haven't we passed HR two. Let's send another message that we want to codify all of the things the president's doing on an asylum, on parole, on you know, catcher, release flores, all that stuff we got to fix because once you get another Democrat in there, they're going to abuse it and put people into our country and then you're back to square one. So we got to do it now.
Speaker 1: Well. Also, Republicans majority days as a majority are dwindling fast, and I mean, I can't believe thun can't get more of this through. There's got to be some way to do this. This is like first term where we're about to lose a majority in the House and very slight majority in the Senate, but by the majority speaking, which I lied. I do have another question. Do you know how much of the wall has been built?
Speaker 2: No, don't. I don't have an estimate on the miles. I'll get you an answer on that because I'm due to go catch up. I know they're making progress, but I have no idea what the mileage is at the moment, I should know. I'll find out.
Speaker 1: We really need to light a fire under the president on that the first week of the Iran war could have built the entire eleven billion dollar wall across two thousand miles. It's enough of this off.
Speaker 2: Well. I do think your point about the Senate is really important on all of this, whether it's wall building, whether it's getting the border secure, whether it's what we're trying to push them on on Save America, and then now DHS funding. Like I'm fighting these guys because I don't believe we should isolate border patrol and ice in this DHS funding bill. I just disagree. I would take the entire DHS package, put it in a reconciliation bill, send it back over the Senate that fund it for the rest of the president's term. Stick my middle finger up at Democrats and say, we have funded every single ounce of this for the next three years. But what I wouldn't do is isolate border patrol and ice out of some hope that we might fund them. It's the most biggest It's.
Speaker 1: Explain that more because that was one of the dumbest things that fun did. I've ever ever seen a politician do. As everyone knows, Democrats don't want to fund ICE. It's much like they're defund the police. They want they want illegal to have more rights than US citizens do. And immigration enforcement is part of DHS. But of course that's also well TSA, as we've all found out. So House passes it's bill and then it goes over to the Senate. Now explain what idiot Boyfoon did or however you want to refer to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we the House have passed full funding of DHS four times and Senate to the Senate. The Senate is getting obstructed because of the sixty vote threshold that they can't get due to fund it because Democrats won't won't fund ICE and border patrol components of DHS. Let me back up for a minute. I didn't want to isolate DHS back in February. I argued with the administration and the Senators and my own leadership. Once you do that, they're going to now zero in and try to gut all the things we want out of DHS. I sucked it up as a team player. I voted for the approaches that didn't include DHS. While I was complaining the whole time, and now here they are trying to isolate Ice and border patrol. So last week or two weeks here, whatever that was, they tried to jam us by sending through the bill the just approaches with no Ice and border patrol. It's don't worry, we'll fund it. Late said no, that's ridiculous. So we fought. We stayed. You know, I skipped my seedback thing and whatever. It didn't come home in campaign. I stayed an extra day and a half to fight it, and God blessed the Speaker. We said no, screw to you. We took it and sent full funding back. Unfortunately, over the last week they've all said, well, now we'll do it the smart way and we'll try to get it done, and we'll do it as we'll get border patrol and ice done through reconciliation at the same time as we moved the appropriations bill. I still oppose it because I mean, look, if we get that out of it, at least it's something that will get it funded first for three years. I'll take that as at least a small win compared to what they were going to do. But I still don't want to isolate it. On principle. I don't want to send a message to American people. I think that's wrong. We ran on this own it. Take the entirety of DHS, send it over the Senate, make them have to pass it as a package. Well, Chip, it will take too long. It's complex and committees. These guys would have gotten on the boats, gone to Normandy, looked up at the cliffs and said, there are clips. I guess we've got to turn around. It's just it's extraordinary. So we're working on it. I'm going to keep fighting for it. Hell, I would send DHS and Defense in one package. Get's idea, and then say, you know what, if you've got then if we have a shutdown, we're just shutting down the stupid Department of Education. Who cares? You know? So well, we'll keep fighting over the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's great. No, you're a very good strategist, and I guess this isn't one of those tough interviews where you can show your genius. Because I'm a huge supporter of yours and I wish you the best of luck in the Attorney General's race. Thanks for coming on Representative Roy Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks Anne god bless Ricochet. Join the conversation.