Speaker 1: What's up everyone, Welcome back to Crash Course Pot. You know they say you can't build a skyline without a blueprint, but in Atlanta, the blueprint was drawn in the back of the tour bus by a kid who wasn't even old enough to drive it. Welcome back to Crash Course Pot. Today we aren't just talking about a producer. We're talking about the architect. We're talking about Jermaine dupris, a man who looked at a city known for its history and decided to make it the capital of the future. Let's give it up for Jermaine Duprie. If you caught our episode on Crisscross, you know I couldn't stop talking about nineteen year old kid in the background or the foreground. While the road was jumping with Chris and Chris, Jermaine Duprie was busy drawing the blueprints for an entire city. But JD didn't just wake up a mogul before. It's so so deaf was a label. It was a mindset born in the back of the tour buses and in front of the stage. I know you keep wondering, what do you mean back of tour buses?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? On stage.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna dig into that. We're gonna go back to the silk suits, the Rowland eight oh eight and the moment a backup dancer, Yes, a backup dancer decided to become a king maker the Houdini link. To understand JD, you have to understand his dad, Michael Malden. Michael was a heavyweight in the industry, an executive and manager who was running the show for Houdini back in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: Picture this, It's nice eighty four.
Speaker 1: The fresh Fest tour is the biggest thing in hip hop. You've got run DMC, Fat Boys and Houdini. And right there on stage dancing for Houdini at the Omni in Atlanta is twelve year old Germaine. He didn't get the gig because of nepotism. He got it because he could actually dance. But being on that tour gave him a front row seat to how a hit record actually works. He wasn't just doing the Roger Rabbit. He was watching how the crowd reacted to a kickdrum. He was learning the science of the party, should I say, before.
Speaker 2: He even hit Pubertine.
Speaker 1: By the time he was sixteen, JD was done with dancing. He wanted to create the sound, not just move to it. His first real shot at production wasn't Crisscross. Actually it was a female rap caught Soolktime's Leather around nineteen eighty nine. The project didn't set the world on fire, but it was his lab. It's where he started perfecting that so so death bounce, blending hard hitting hip hop drums with those melodic R and B textures. I believe he was taking the New York nujack swing energy and giving it that slow Southern humidity.
Speaker 2: He was looking for a.
Speaker 1: Start to carry this sound, and that's when he walked into the mall and found two kids who would change his life. Que in the episode I did on Crisscross. If you guys haven't heard that one yet, after this episode.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: It'll be like the sequel to what I'm talking about here. Moving on, after the massive success of Crisscross, JD didn't just buy a chain and disappear. He built a factory. He looked at Atlanta and saw a hip hop void, or a music void. He gave us the Grid of de Bratt, proving a girl from the South could outrap legends in New York. He gave us the church vocal harmonies of Escape. He gave us the boy band meets the block energy of Jagged Edge. J D's genius was his range. He could produce a ballot for Mariah carry on like a Monday, and a club anthem for Ludacros on a Wednesday. He actually made Atlanta the New York of the South by sheer force of will and talent talent. And speaking of de Brat, I want to add that j D helped her become the first solo female rapper to go platinum. I also think, not think, but I also remember hearing that she was discovered by Jermaine Duprie because she won a rap contest that JD was hosting or judging. And as for Escape, Ian Burke and JD discovered them and they were discovered at a Beet talent show in Atlanta. So JD's got his hands in the Atlanta rap music scene for Suresease, anyways, let's move on.
Speaker 2: And this is my favorite part.
Speaker 1: This is what I love as a music head, and that's the fact that JD was the original face of the sound. So before you have all the other producers, you know, being in the scene for their artists. Before Pharrell was in every video, JD was there. He had the socio dev tag. He was like a celebrity producer. A lot of people tried to play him for it though, and wanted to claim it was his.
Speaker 2: Ego, but he was just twenty years ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: He understood that the brand isn't just the singer, it's the architect, the producer.
Speaker 2: He paved the way for every super producer we have in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: He taught us that the person behind the boards is the one who really.
Speaker 2: Controls the culture.
Speaker 1: And now j D is currently having a massive second act between twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: So honestly, you could say he's still moving like he has something to prove. He has not sloped down a bit, and he's officially dubbed this air, this new era of his the Soco Deaf two point zero. We gotta talk about his newest project, Magic City. It's his first full length studio album in over twenty years. It was released last year September twenty twenty five, and it was actually released to be the official soundtrack to His Stars docuseries Magic City, an American fantasy, which he executive produced alongside Drake. When Magic City hit Stars in August twenty twenty five, it wasn't just a documentary.
Speaker 2: It was like a victory lap.
Speaker 1: JD and other executive producers didn't.
Speaker 2: Just show us a club.
Speaker 1: They showed us a boardroom with neon lights. The soundtrack that followed a month later his full album in two decades. It did exactly what JD does best. It made the old heads respect the new school, and it made the new school study the legends. It reminded us that in Atlanta, JD isn't just a resident, He's the one that holds the keys to the city. So let's talk a little bit about how Magic City did. It debuted with one hundred percent critical score on Rotten Tomatoes. Variety and Time praised it for focusing on the entrepreneurial agency of the dancers and the science of the party.
Speaker 2: I know, I keep saying that.
Speaker 1: Also, the project was the first major release under the Socio Deaf slash Hybe America partnership, which, fun fact, was orchestrated by Scooter Bron, who famously started as JD's intern.
Speaker 2: What else can I say about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, as for the album Magic City, it served as the official soundtrack. I know I mentioned that already, and JD didn't just produce it.
Speaker 2: He curated it to bridge the.
Speaker 1: Gap between the ogs like Luda, Ludacris and Ti and then the new school like money Log and Finesse. Two times critics called the docuseriies the Black Studio fifty four. It featured everyone from former Atlanta made Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to Big Meach via phone call in prison. So it's if you haven't seen it, go check it out.
Speaker 2: The people love it. The people love it.
Speaker 1: So here's a lineup of who JD's been in the booth, the booth, the slodal with recently for like twenty twenty five, twenty six, trying to keep it recent. So we have the Atlanta icons. For the Magic City album, he pulled the heavyweights Ti, Ludacris, Two Chains, Quavo, Lil John, Young Dro and Killer Mike. He produced the anthem Atlanta, which JD calls the soul and grit of the city for Selo Green. JAD also released a posthumous collaboration in honor of Rich Homi Kwan called This or That in late twenty twenty five, basically a tribute to Kwant's impact on the a Atlanta bow Wow. He recently reunited with bow Wow for the track She's a Freak, which also featured Travis Porter. JD also produced Money Lungs smash hit Made for Me I Think That came out in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Nobody Loves Me Like You Do? No Money Now you know?
Speaker 1: Last song you guys it had TikTok in a chocoal with those challenges In twenty twenty four twenty twenty five, JD also produced Ari Lennox's soulfo track Pressure and Finesse two Times. Just dropped a new collap called Peace and Money, which JD was a part of. Produced and we Can't Forget About dvs N. JD recently entered into a partnership with this R and B duo. He's been working closely with DVSN and they are a massive part of the social def slash HYB America ecosystem. They were historically and Ovo Sound Act, but JD entered a creative partnership or mentorship under the HYB e umbrella, and that's with this R and B, DUO, DVS and.
Speaker 2: Who else, who else?
Speaker 1: I think that's the extent of I'm sure there's more for this last two years, twenty five and twenty twenty six, but that's what I have for now. So basically, JD is proving that his blueprint still works even in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: He developed it, crafted.
Speaker 1: It in like what nineteen eighty nine with his first female group, and it's still here twenty twenty six years later. Working He isn't just sticking to the nineties legends. He's bridging the gap by working with the new generation. You know, I already mentioned money long for it's two times and the ogs like Ludacris and Ti are still in rotation. So basically, JD didn't just build the so soo deaf house. He built like a so soo deaf neighborhood. Shall I say?
Speaker 2: He's been doing his big one.
Speaker 1: It's that's why I'm so glad we did this episode. I knew we had to after doing the Crisscross episode. I knew I had to do an episode on JD because he's one of those people that I don't hear people talking about. He's one of those producers influencers in the music scene that I don't hear a lot of people talking about, and I wanted to dive deeper and just get to know him, Like what, who are you? Where'd you? Where'd you get your roots? Why are you so freaking good at music? And putting Atlanta on the map.
Speaker 2: So that's jd You guys.
Speaker 1: He showed the world that Atlanta wasn't just a stop on a tour bus. It's a destination. And he took everything he learned, all of his experience from being on stage with Houdini to signing his own artists, and turned all that information into an empire that's still standing. People are still begging to work with him. When not begging, let me not be dramatic. People still want to work with him. The new G's respect him, the ogs respect him, and that dad, you guys Jermaine der pre So tune in to the next episode. We're gonna switch gears from the Atlanta Bounce to the Jungle.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep it.
Speaker 1: A secret what episode we're doing, but just think Jungle.
Speaker 2: That's your clue.
Speaker 1: If you want more entertainment. All the details are below. Check out my memoir. All the links are down below. Just click link and until next time, keep spinning them tracks.
Speaker 2: Bye you guys, Bye,