Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: O JFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: And his name is Amy k.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: It is five oh one. This is your wake up call for Friday, November eighth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Helps.
Speaker 1: I thought it was going to be a good day, and all of a sudden, I start pushing buttons and things start happening. It's Friday. We made it through. Boy, does this week just feel like it has been absolutely crazy? I think I'm going a hunker down on the couch for the weekend and just kind of shut down. But we're all moving on. The winds are dying down and life goes on. So here's what's a head on wake up call. Busy day for us more than one hundred and thirty homes have burned to the ground in the wind whipped fire that's burning in Ventura County. Thousands of people have been forced out of their homes because of the fast moving fire that's burned more than twenty thousand acres. The winds fanning the flames are expected to die down by this afternoon. The California Air Resources Board is scheduled to vote today on a plan to speed up a timeline to reach the state's goal of reducing carbon production by twenty thirty now. If passed, it could spike gas prices by about fifty cents a gallon by next year. Triple A says the average price for a gallon of gas in California right now four fifty three a gallon, the second highest in the country. President elect Trump has tapped his campaign manager, Susie Wiles to be his chief of staff. Wiles was Trump's campaign senior advisor and ran his campaigns in Florida in built twenty sixteen and twenty twenty. Trump says Wiles is tough, smart, innovative, and universally admired and respected. We'll be talking with ABC's Stephen Portnoy about the Trump team and putting that all together before he takes office. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes at five point twenty. And now that Halloween is over, we're moving on. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to be talking shopping for the holidays. A Dean Sharp is going to give us some tips that could say your house from burning down if a wildfire like the one Ventura County heads towards your neighborhood. That's at the bottom of the hour. And then before the end of wake Up Call it about five point fifty, ABC's Will Gans is gonna tell us about the stripper movie that's already getting Oscar buzzs. I can't wait to hear about that. A stripper movie getting Oscar bus okay, and then after wake Up Call it's handled on the news, so stick around for that too. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Fire officials in Ventura County have been able to get into areas affected by the twenty thousand acre brush fire that started in More Park to assess the damage. Ventura County Fires and the Van Skiver says they've inspected two hundred and ninety eight properties.
Speaker 5: Of this, the teams discovered eighty eight were damaged and one hundred and thirty two were destroyed.
Speaker 1: Officials say the fire didn't grow much yesterday and crews were able to surround five percent of it. The fire started Wednesday was pushed by strong Santa Ana wins toward Camio and Somas. Thousands of people are under evacuation orders. Ten have been treated for smoke inhalation or other non life threatening injuries. The National Weather Services More Santa Ana wins are expected next week. La City Councilman Kevin d. Lyon appears to be losing his job. Election results so far show him trailing his challenger, Isabelle Herado, who has nearly fifty six percent of the vote to de Leon's forty four percent. DeLeon's been criticized since twenty twenty two, when a recording was leaked in which he and other officials made racist comments. He refused calls to step down. Horado has claimed victory. De Leon has not conceded yet. President Elect Trump's return to the White House is rattled some local immigration groups.
Speaker 7: At a rally outside La City Hall, immigration activists called on the city to become a sanctuary as Trump plans for mass deportation. Marta Aravallo of the Central American Resource Center says action by the city Council is needed right away.
Speaker 1: The time to do that is now. We must send the message loqually and nationally.
Speaker 7: A proposal to make La a sanctuary for illegal immigrants has been floating around city Hall, but no final ordinance has been presented. Another rally has planned for tomorrow at Pershing Square downtown in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The Federal Reserve has cut interest rates by a quarter point. It lowers the fed's benchmark rate to about four point six percent, down from a four decade high of five point three percent before September's meeting. The Fed says unemployment has moved up but remains low, while inflation has fallen closer to the Central Banks two percent target. The next Fed rate decision will be announced on December eighteenth, and I think yesterday when they were talking, they are expecting another interest rate cut in December. We shall see. Pink's hot Dogs is celebrating eighty five years with celebrity appearances and discounted hot dogs. Mayor Bass will join in the fun. Tonight with George Lopez. Comedian Gabriel Iglesias will make an appearance on Sunday, and Henry Winkler will be chowing down on Monday for the Chili Dogs for Charity event. The dogs are eighty five cents for eighty five minutes, starting at eight h five pm nightly until the twelfth. And we know that those lines that pinks get long. I would anticipate they'll be extra long for that pink celebration. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Steve, and Trump is starting to put his team together. But can he just say you're hired and you're hired or does he have to go through some sort of process and if so, what is it?
Speaker 8: Well, he has four thousand appointments he can make across the executive branch, thirteen hundred of them require Senate confirmation. But you know, when it comes to his key advisors in the White House, those roles do not require Senate confirmation. And so he has announced his first choice for the all important role of White House Chief of Staff. That corner office in the West Wing will for the first time be occupied by a woman, Susie Wilds the campaign co chair and campaign manager, has been tacked by Donald Trump to be his senior aide in the White House, one of the most important positions in the entire American government. And she is a longtime political operative who once served under Florida Governor Ron de Santis before they had a big falling out and she wound up going to run the Trump campaign successfully, and she's known as sort of a very effective manager of a team, but a backstage operator, someone who doesn't seek the spotlight. Trump likes that, and so he's chosen her to be chief of staff, and it is a historic choice.
Speaker 1: You know, I was surprised at this because until he did his acceptance speech or yeah, on Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, whenever that actually happened, I had never heard her name, and I kind of follow politics. But you said she stays in the background, and she really does, or.
Speaker 8: Did, right, Yeah, So you won't find an example of her, you know, sitting for a television interview. She's not that type, at least not at the national level. But she is known to those of us who even more closely follow politics as someone who has been a major mover and shaker in the Republican Party, particularly in the state of Florida. And Trump clearly recognizes her. She's also the daughter of Pat Summerle, the late broadcasting legend. Yeah, and so Trump loves that too, Okay.
Speaker 1: And who was his first chief of staff? Was it Brien's previous?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: Well, right, so back to twenty seventeen. Ryan's previous who was the RNC chair, was recommended to Trump to be a manager of the White House staff because he knew things about how Washington worked. Well, that didn't last very long. Donald Trump made it through I think three and a half or four depending on how you count it, chiefs of staff. One of them he never even gave the dignity of the formal title. He kept sort of Nick Mulvaney held in a band, says, acting chief of Staff. But while he has really tremendous confidence, and why shouldn't he, she just got him elected exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it'll be interesting to see if she has staying power because we know that he does burn through people, so how he has to. He doesn't directly hire those four thousand people. But that's a lot of people to put into place.
Speaker 8: Well, that's right, which is why, right? And I'll very briefly get into some very inside Washington want them. There's an arrangement for the incoming president's team to have access to General Services Administration GSA workspace here in Washington. Donald Trump has not yet signed the paperwork to allow his team to take over that space. And there's a couple of reasons that are suspected behind it. One is that there's a cap on contributions that would perhaps limit the Transition organization's effort to raise money. That comes along as sort of a string attached. And then there's a suspicion because in twenty sixteen, Trump did take advantage of the GSA workspace and some of those records returned over to the Mueller investigation without the White House being aware of it. And so maybe that's another reason why they don't want to take advantage of that workspace.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question for you. Then, you said it limits their ability to raise money. Why do they need to raise money the campaign's over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's a great question. Look, Washington works in really mysterious ways, and you know, transition effort is just a way to collect cash. There really are not any costs that I can think of but it's a way for donors to curry favor with an incoming administration and a way for an administration to assess who it's best friends are. I don't know exactly what's done with the money, but it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think I've heard a new favorite term, the Woncdom of Washington. Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: How you bet?
Speaker 1: All right? I think that's so true. I mean, there's just so many weird little ins and outs to how things operate and work and rules, and again, that's why we have people like Steven Portnoy to help us kind of sort it all out. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three people in Argentina have been charged in connection with the death of former One Direction singer Liam Payne. Argentina's public prosecutor says one person who was with Pain every day while he was in Buenos Aires, is charged with abandoning the singer after his death. A hotel employee and another person are charged with giving the singer cocaine during his hotel stay. In October, Pain fell from the balcony of his third floor hotel room. A toxicology report shows he had alcohol, cocaine, and other drugs in his system. The head of the California State Sheriff's Association says the passage of Prop thirty six this week will not lead to mass incarp incarcerations.
Speaker 5: This is about controlling crime, not creating victims, and forcing people back in the programs that worked over a decade ago.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Don Barnes says most people committing petty crimes are doing it to feed their addictions. The only time that many get help is after they've been arrested. Prop thirty six creates a new categy sglory of crime called treatment mandated felony. It allows a person to have their drug conviction set aside if they complete rehab. California voters have approved Proposition four. That's a measure that will allow the state to borrow ten billion dollars for projects that protect against wildfires and floods and improve responses to climate change. Most of the funds will improve water systems, with additional support for wildfire safety and rising sea levels. Irvine has forfeited a one million dollar deposit by abruptly nixing a twenty million dollar deal to buy property for a homeless shelter.
Speaker 10: The deal was for two buildings to be converted into the city's first homeless shelter. Councilman Mike Carroll says he was the only one to originally vote against the deal because it lacked transparency and wasn't vetted by city commission.
Speaker 1: There was no public input. I know that because the public that lives right near these buildings are sitting.
Speaker 3: There in front of me, and I have a petition over here with over one hundred names.
Speaker 1: I think basically against this.
Speaker 10: Carrol said this week the city needs homeless services, but city staff also didn't reveal that one group would the property and then instantly flip it to the city for four million dollars more. In Orange County, Corbin Carson caf I.
Speaker 1: News, Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has gone back to court after refusing to turn over assets as part of a one hundred and forty eight million dollar defamation judgment. ABC's Aaron Katursky says Giuliani was ordered to give valuable sports memorabilia, his Mercedes, and other items to two Georgia poll workers. He accused of fraud in the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 11: Giuliani's attorney says, well, some of it's in the storage unit. Some of it they don't have any control over. I've overheard Giuliani whispering that he doesn't know where some of the sports memorabilia is.
Speaker 1: Giuliani says the poll workers are not entitled to his assets. The judge yesterday said Giuliani may be held in contempt if he doesn't hand them over in the next two weeks. A police chief in South Carolina says there's no serious danger from forty three monkeys that escape from a research facility. He says the small monkeys are not infected with any disease, They're harmless and our little skittish. ABC's Sherry Preston says the monkeys got out on Wednesday.
Speaker 12: The employee at the facility is getting the blame for not closing their cage door.
Speaker 1: All the way. Law enforcement officials are using thermal imaging to try to find and retrap the primates poor little monkeys. There are a group of young females that have not yet been used for testing. This year's Rockeveller Center Christmas tree has been cut down in West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The center chief gardener says it's a perfectly shaped, seventy four foot tall Norway spruce. It weighs eleven tons. It'll be decorated with fifty thousand lights and an eight hundred pounds Swarowski crystal tree topper. The tree lighting ceremony will be held on December fourth. It's the first tree to come from Massachusetts since nineteen fifty nine. Governor Newsom has toured the devastation from the more than twenty thousand acre fire that's destroyed more than one hundred and thirty homes and Camerio Moore Park and Somus. The governor declared a state of emergency to free a priest sources to help fight the fire that's just five percent surrounded. About ten thousand people are under mandatory evacuation orders. A federal judge has struck down a Biden administration program that allowed illegal immigrants married to American citizens for ten years to remain and work in the US while they seek US citizenship. The program that started in August effects about five hundred thousand people. Buying a home in La County is out of reach for most people. The California Association of Realtors says just eleven percent of people can actually afford to buy a median priced home, which is at nearly nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars. In Orange County, the median price for a home is one point four million dollars, and just twelve percent of OC residents can afford that. At six oh five, it's handle awm theanews. Governor Newsom is calling a special session of the legislature to trump proof California. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Okay, Jim, Halloween is over, holiday shopping is about to hit fever pitch, and in spite of higher prices on everything, people are expected to spend more this year.
Speaker 4: Well, they are about nine hundred and two dollars per person for the holidays. That's gifts and decorations and food and all that. I'm sure you know a lot of folks considering the year, are having to pay them one point two million for a house. Led shoppers are going to spend a lot more than that, but the average nationwide is about nine hundred and two dollars at six hundred and forty one on gifts, and the rest of it on decorations and food and all the rest. So that's more than last year and more than the record year of twenty nineteen. So we're likely to see records spending according to the National Retail Federation on the holidays this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, but because prices are higher, we're probably not actually getting anything more, we're just spending more.
Speaker 4: Well, this is waited for inflation, so yeah, because everything costs more. Yeah, you'd expect to spend more, that's true, but they have waited this out for inflation. So these are hard numbers related to the hard dollars we're going to spend. Okay, but you're right, I mean, it's against this. Inflation is psychological too, so you would think that people who feel like, you know what, my dollar just didn't go very far, job security is not what it was, et cetera, et cetera. So I'm not going to spend as much this year, and yet people are still overcoming that and actually spending more per capita than they did in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I know, and you know we've talked to our money guide Joel Larsgart about this several times, Like you should make a budget and not go above it. But then you see something and you go, oh, but my friend Debbie really needs that.
Speaker 4: Well, and you're right. Chances are when you see that, you're looking at it in person, right instead of it online. Twenty six percent of shoppers this year planned to do more in person shopping than they did last year. Now, granted, they're probably going to do more their shopping online, but more people are actually going out and doing at least some of their holiday shopping in the brick and mortars at the shopping mall or in the department store wherever they go.
Speaker 1: And do we know why that trend is happening. Is it like people are finally kind of saying, Okay, the pandemic is over, I can go back to the mall. Or is it just people are tired of being on their couches.
Speaker 4: Well, I think a little of that and the little of this. Sixty four percent of them say they want to physically see and touch the product. Thirty two percent enjoy the festive atmosphere or the lights and the decorations and Santa Claus in the middle of the mall and that sort of thing. But another third or so say they like being able to easily return items if they don't fit, or they don't work, or they're ugly.
Speaker 1: Right, So if they're going to return items that don't fit, it means they're actually shopping for themselves this holiday season well.
Speaker 4: Or need something an ugly item from somebody else, and they also slipped in the gift receipts so you could take it back, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay, So do we know, Jim, if we're going to see like great sales at the malls to get people to actually go to the mall instead of ordering online or is it going to be kind.
Speaker 4: Of that's kind of the competition. The competition, of course, it's not just between the brick and mortar stores and the online retailers. It's between retailers online and other retailers online. So it's sort of the Prime Day pitted against the Walmart sales, pitted against the Kam the Target sales, stuff like that. The other thing that the physical stores have to overcome is the flood of videos on YouTube and elsewhere of people rushing in and stealing armloads of merchandise or you know, taking over stores and robbing customers and robbing the stores. It's that sense of security about seventy eight percent of shoppers say they fear for their safety and security while they're shopping in person. The other part is that that stores sometimes don't have enough personnel on hand just to help them clerks. So those are some of the challenges that the brick and mortars are facing. Now that they all line retailers don't have to worry about it at.
Speaker 1: All, that's true. But I would imagine that the brick and mortars, the Macy's and the Nordstroms and Targets and stuff have got to be excited to see those numbers that they're expecting more people to actually go out and shop this year.
Speaker 4: Because absolutely, and if they can meet those challenges, the security challenges, the staffing challenges, then yeah, absolutely, then they can expect more of that. Maybe brick and mortar isn't debt and these numbers seem to show that that's the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's the next question, Jim. Do we need to wait until Black Friday or are they starting sales now because Halloween's over and it's again it's open season on Christmas.
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I think that's where we get this competition going that the on rentline retailers, and I've seen lots of ads for stores, you know, physical stores that are already starting some of their sales, especially the electronics stores. You know, they know that that's really the hot item every year. And if they can drop their prices down now, even if it's a lost leader and they take a little bit of a hit on it, if they can make it up on there you go. What is so this? This was fascinating a little bit depressing. I think, what is the most popular item on consumer's wish lists this year? Any idea?
Speaker 9: Amy?
Speaker 1: No, what is it?
Speaker 4: Think? Think impersonal? Think fits into an envelope? Think, oh, gift cards? You know, gift cards. Fifty three percent of shoppers have requested in this year. That's the most popular item on wish lists this year. That's kind of sad.
Speaker 1: It is like I like to try to get something that somebody wants. But every once in a while, though, there are some people who are just really hard to shop for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true, and it is more convenient. I suppose I've got a brother who lives in San Francisco. I mean, send him a gift card just because it's easy.
Speaker 1: I do think one of the good things to do if you do get a gift card, is when you go spend it, then send a thank you note so that the person who gave you the gift card knows you know what you got. Hey, thanks, I was able to go and get, you know, a massage or something because you gave me a gift card. I don't know, but that's just.
Speaker 4: Something great idea, trying to personalize it. Yeah, that's a good.
Speaker 1: Way to do that exactly. ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much, and we'll see.
Speaker 4: At them all all right, see you there, all right.
Speaker 1: Republican Scott Ba's lead over Democratic state Senator Dave Minn has slipped to just six hundred and sixteen votes in Southern California's closest congressional race. Ball had held a more than eleven hundred vote lead as of Wednesday afternoon for their race for Orange County's forty seventh congressional district seat that was vacated by Representative Katie Porter. In District twenty seven Santa Clarita, Republican Representative Mike Garcia saw his lead over Democrat George Whitesides dropped to thirty two hundred and forty votes. Garcia had led by almost forty eight hundred votes at the conclusion of Wednesday's vote count for expecting an updated vote count later today. California Attorney General Rob Bonta says he is prepared for a second Trump White House.
Speaker 6: No matter who is in the White House, no matter who controls Congress. In California, we will keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: Banta said California will choose calm over chaos and implied the state would go to court to preserve any laws that may come under attack by the Trump administration. Banta says he's not afraid to take the administration to court.
Speaker 6: As Attorney General, I will continue to use the full force of the law, the full authority of my office to address injustice.
Speaker 1: Mante sued the administration one hundred and twenty three times during Trump's first term. Russian President Putin has congratulated President elect Trump on winning the election. ABC's Ian Pannell says Putin made the comment yesterday while at a forum in Russia, but.
Speaker 12: Russianly did congratulating Trump, praising him for acting quotes courageously like a man after that failed assassination in attempt, and he says campaign promises to restore relations with Russia and Ukraine will deserve attention.
Speaker 1: Putin says he would be ready to speak with Trump. An American citizen who allegedly spied for China has been arrested in Germany. Official say up until recently, the man worked for the US military.
Speaker 13: It's unclear exactly what role this suspect has or had with the US military. Also unclear if any information was actually transmitted.
Speaker 1: ABC's Marcus Morses. Is also unclear whether China's government agreed to receive any sensitive information. Louis Vutan is giving dogs a taste of the luxurious life with a new collection featuring a sixty thousand dollars dog house. The kennel trunk is designed with a monogram coated canvas exterior looks like a house with a pointed roof and windows to peep through. The collection also features a dog poop bag holder, a flaskholder, and a leathered dog bowl. Yeah that's what you can spend your Christmas money on. Governor Newsom has toured the devastation from the more than twenty thousand acre fire that has destroyed more than one hundred and thirty homes in Camarillo, Moore Park and somas. About ten thousand people are still under evacuation orders. People who live in the LA area are being told to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed because of a smoke alert prompted by the fire. A wood burning ban is also an effect across southern California because of high pollution levels. Progressive candidate Isabel Harado has declared victory over incumbent Kevin Daleon for the District fourteen seat on the La City Council. Herato was leading daily On by more than thirty three thousand votes. At last count, she has fifty six percent of the vote compared to Dallyon's forty four percent. A next update on the ballot count will be late this afternoon. Not clear how many ballots are outstanding. At six ZHO five, it's handle on the news. The Fed has cut interest rates, So what's next At five point fifty After this crazy week, I think we may all need a little escape. And ABC's Willgans is going to let us know what's new in theaters and on the stream, and at least one of them has to do with a stripper. I'll tell you about that right now. Let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI. It's our house, whisper Dean Sharp.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we had planned to talk about something in in fact, you're going to be talking about this stuff this week on your show this weekend, Yes, six to eight am on Saturday and nine to noon on Sunday. But before we get into that, we talked about that, it's probably more important today to talk about our homes and protecting them against wildfires, if that is possible, given the just crazy nature of how fast that wildfire just plowed through neighborhoods and destroyed homes. But there are things we can do to help reduce the risk of losing your home to a wildfire.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and this kind of speed of devastation, this is the stuff that happens when the fire and wind mixed together in our open space areas, which we have so many of here in southern California. So I'm going to divide this into two parts. One is, if you have some time, if you're not currently being threatened by these fires, but you're taking a serious look at it, a sobering look at them, and maybe now maybe this time, you know, we always hope, is the time when a homeowner will think, especially if you're anywhere near, you know, within two miles of an open space, yeah, maybe I need to get the house, you know, more ready for fire.
Speaker 1: If the people in Camerio probably didn't think, oh, my house is going to go up in flames in a matter of moments, but it, like you just said, it's it is a reality. And with these winds, when they're blowing sixty eighty miles an hour and throwing the embers three miles ahead of the flames, you know, any everybody's vulnerable, exactly.
Speaker 5: And of course, so let's just use that one as the top of our list. I talk about it all the time. I preach on it year in, year out. Ember proof vents for or your attic and your roof eves. These are vents that will not allow those flying embers to get up inside your attic. And again I'm going to emphasize this, eighty percent of the homes that burn in wildfire season are not homes that are on the fire line. They are not right where the wall of flame is licking up against the house. Eighty percent of them are within that two mile range away from the fire, where hot embers have flown through the air the wind has carried them. They are still capable of igniting things, and they get sucked into attic spaces and they start burning homes from the inside out, which is not a great thing.
Speaker 1: Why do they get sucked into attic spaces?
Speaker 5: They get sucked into attic spaces because of the nature, unfortunately, of how attics are vented. They have these low vents around the eaves, and then they have upper vents near the top of the roof, and of course inside the attic, warm air rises, right, so as the warm air rises out of the top of the roof, vents those events are actually vacuuming air and particles into the attic space. And that's why. So an ember, it's not like it's targeting a house, but it's floating by and if it gets anywhere near an eve that has any kind of vacuum draft happening on it, just because that's the way it works, boom. The next thing you know, that ember is inside the attic, sitting on insulation and combustible materials.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Okay, so now what do we do to protect ourselves?
Speaker 5: So ember proof at events. These are vents that you can replace or add to your existing at events that actually have dampers built into them that won't that allow the air to pass through, but don't allow the embers to get from the outside in ok, they trap them so that they and they'll no cool off and nothing will ever happen. So that is always, always, always our first line of defense that we talk to people about. Of course, course if you've got a larger budget on hand, and you've got an older home that doesn't have its doors and windows updated, then you want to replace your doors and windows with fire raided windows and doors, especially on the side that faces the open space. That basically means windows and doors with tempered glass in them instead of standard annealed glass. And then of course clean up your trees. Make sure your trees are as trimmed well and thinned, especially this time of year, because this is the time of year to trim trees as possible. And please clear your defensible zone. If you're one of those homes pushed up against a wildfire open space area, you know your hoa wants it done, your city wants it done, and if you have been laxed and getting it done, get it done. A wall of wildfire flames can be twenty feet tall easily in windy conditions, thirty to forty feet tall and pumping out well above one thousand degrees.
Speaker 9: Fair night.
Speaker 5: Now, well, here's a question that not a lot of people know the answer to. How far away from that thousand degree wall of flames do firefighters need to stand to effectively defend a home? How farting three to four times the height of the flames. So if flames are thirty feet tall, they need at least at least one hundred feet away from those flames in order to make an effective defense. And that is what clearing that defensible zone is all about. Okay, Now, if you don't have much time, if you are really on the edge, if you are possibly going to evacuate, get stuff away from your house. Just get all the junk away from the walls of your house. If you can't amber proof your vents and you know you're about to be evacuated, tape them up. Just close them over, go around, tape up those lower vents on your attic, your gable vents. Close them off. It's not going to hurt your attic for a week or two to have the vents closed up. If you haven't changed them out. And lastly, here's a product everybody's always asking me, is there a silver bullet product out there? Well, they're as close to one as there can be. Firejel barricade. Fire Gel is a product that I absolutely love. They're not a sponsor here on KFI. I wish they were. You can find them at firegel dot com. But here it is several gallons of fire gel sitting in containers in your garage. They'll sit there for years and years and years, totally safe because you know they're fireproof. And instead of doing the wrong thing, being the hero and staying behind ignoring evacuation orders with your garden hose as if you are going to defend your house with a garden hose, which you're not. Right before you go, you hook up this these fire gel containers to your garden hose. They kind of spray out like a you know, like a liquid fertilizer does at the garden center, and you can spray fire gel across the backside of your home, across to structures, patio, furniture, plants. This stuff adheres, it sticks to the house. It'll stay there for twenty four to forty eight hours. The fire line if it reaches your home is going to pass by in minutes. And this will save your home. And when you get back home, whether it happened or not, you just get the hose out again and wash it all off and it's done.
Speaker 1: And it kind of probably looks like this line from Ghostbusters.
Speaker 5: Kind of like a white foamy gel. And so now you know you can. This is a one time purchase to save your home. For the average home, this about seven hundred dollars investment in this fire, Jael, And like I said, it just sits there for years and you don't have to worry about it doesn't go bad. But it is so worth having a home standing when you come back from evacuation.
Speaker 1: I would think a lot more people in southern California would want that.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, and.
Speaker 1: What a small, small investment to save a million dollar home hopefully you know or.
Speaker 5: Too, Absolutely, no question about it. And it's you know, so many people feel powerless when it comes to having to evacuate, like the like what's gonna you know, And this is just a solid line of defense that you can leave at least with a little bit more peace of mind knowing that you know what we've we've fire hardened the side of the house that's going to have to face the fire, and you know we've got a pretty even shot.
Speaker 1: All right, Super important and good information. And here's another tip. Make sure you go back and take that tape off once you get back to the house. Yes, yeah, okay, so you're going to be talking about it was this way when we bought it this weekend. Give me a thirty second pitch for it.
Speaker 5: One of our most popular show themes, and that is, you know, so many people bought homes with problems already baked in and now they're like, huh, how do we fix this? How do we fix the the room edition that pushed out the backside of the house and made the previous room that used to have exterior windows a dark cave. You know, things like that, it was this way when we bought It's the phrase that I hear more often when I walk into homes for a console, people apologizing for their house and telling them and we didn't do this, it's been this way, but we need to know how to fix it.
Speaker 1: And you've got all these different things that you might run into when you buy it, and you're going to help them fix it, so be sure to tune into Home with Dean Sharp Saturday from six to eight am, and then Sunday from nine to two. You can also follow him at Home with Dean. Thank you, Dean Sharp, appreciate very valuable advice this morning.
Speaker 5: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: Red flag warnings are said to expire in La in Ventor County Mountains at eleven this morning. Gustine north west winds will gust twenty to thirty miles per hour through the morning, but then we'll die down. Another Santa Ana wind event is possible next week. Newsom has called a special session of the legislature. He says it's so the state can prepare for Donald Trump's second term as president. Newsom says he'll take action to protect the state's policies on abortion rights, climate change, and immigrants support. Nominations for the twenty twenty five Grammy Awards will be announced this morning, with Gail King, Jim Gaffigan, and several past Grammy winners announcing the nominees. The twenty twenty five Grammys will be awarded February second at Crypto dot Com Arena in La We're just minutes away from Hamble on the News this morning, a Biden policy that allows illegal immigrants to stay in the States if they're married to a US citizen has been struck down. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Will Gans. So after the craziness this week, Will I and I imagine a lot of our wake up call listeners need an escape. And that's where you come in. If I want to go to a movie, what you got.
Speaker 9: I've got some good stuff for you. So, if you want to see a really good movie, although it might not be like the The Pink Cloud Escape, you're looking for Anora. Anora is in theaters and this is the movie that people are saying is really kicking off the race to Oscar Sunday. So gold Derby is a website that I like to check in on often and it keeps track of sort of the odds as to what films are going to do well on Oscar Sunday. And right now it has it ranked first in the most likely film to win Best Picture. So Anora is about an escort, an exotic dancer who ends up falling for one of her clients. And it is part comedy, so it is a little bit maybe like a pretty Woman, but it has a heavy R rating, and it takes sort of it takes sort of a dramatic turn. So it's a really really interesting film, and it has a stellar performance from its lead actress, a young actress named Mikey Madison who's going to go on to do incredible things after this. But if you're looking to sort of watch something that you'll probably hear a lot about heading into a world season, Anora is a good place to start in the theaters.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Mikey Madison, have we seen her before? I'm not familiar with that name yet.
Speaker 9: No, No, this is like her what a lot of people are calling her breakout role, so yeah, yeah, a star turn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and a story about a stripper who falls for a client.
Speaker 4: What Yep, that.
Speaker 1: Just doesn't sound like it's an oscar worthy thing. So now you have me intrigued.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a lot of grit there. And and by the way, like this is not one to maybe take your it's definitely not one to take your kids too. And if you have any very very conservative, you know, minded people, there's a lot of R rated material in it, a lot of sex, yes, sex, nudity, all of the above. Language, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to something else. And I love this. They made a movie. Is it a movie or a series? My old ass?
Speaker 9: It some movie, so okay, yes, and you can stream it at home on Amazon Prime Now. And despite the title, this one is actually so sweet. So the concept is it's a girl who's turning eighteen and she decides to do a little bit of drugs with her two best friends before they all go off to college. And while she's like hi, she basically hallucinates that she's speaking to the thirty nine year old version of herself, who's played by Aubrey Plaza, who's always very funny. And it's and you know, her older self is saying, you need to be spending more time with your parents. You'll never have this time back. And by the way, if you ever meet a guy named Chad, just stay away from him. Well, of course, she ends up meeting a guy named Chad, and it's just a really beautiful story about living in the moment and like embracing your family while you're all under one roof. It's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Okay, an interesting name, Okay, And Halloween is over and while I am a one holiday at a time, person. I'm a little laxed when it comes to Christmas movie and I think we're always looking for good new Christmas movie, So do you have one?
Speaker 9: So this is Meet Me Next Christmas. It's the number one movie on Netflix right now. It just came out on Wednesday. It is very in line if you like a Hallmark sort of you can kind of see the ending coming a mile away. You're not going to have to think too critically beautiful soundtrack. It's about a woman played by Christina Milion who meets a guy at an airport and he says, you know, I know, we're sort of two ships passing in the night, but if we want to give this thing a shot, meet me Next Christmas at the Pentatonics Christmas Concert in New York City. And so the movie picks up a year later where guess what, she's going to try and meet this guy, and Pentatonics is also in the movie. So that the music is very good, and it's just it's smaaltzy, it's warm, it's cozy, and if you're looking to sort of just give your brain a break, this Meet Me Next Christmas on Netflix is the perfect way to do that.
Speaker 1: See that's the escape. I think we need and I love a good Hallmark movie. Okay, Meet Me Next Christmas. Netflix, Thank you so much, Willgans, ABC's entertainer Extraordinaiy.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Amy. I have a good one, all right?
Speaker 1: Take care. Oh I'm so watching Meet Me Next Christmas. Don't you just need a break after this week? I do. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. The brush fire that has burned through parts of Moore Park and Camerio and Ventura County has charred more than twenty thousand acres. Fire officials say it didn't grow much yesterday and teams were able to get in and inspect nearly three hundred properties. What they found is one hundred and thirty two homes and other buildings have been destroyed. Eighty eight more are damaged. The fire started Wednesday and spread quickly because of the Santa Ana Wins. Homes are still threatened. About ten thousand people are under evacuation orders. The fire is just five percent surrounded. A brushfire near Pyramid Lake south of Gorman has burned almost one hundred acres. The fire broke out along the five Freeway around noon yesterday. Firefighters say it is not growing anymore. The fire is twenty percent surrounded and hasn't burned any homes or built. A proposal to increase state incentives for Hollywood has been endorsed by LA County.
Speaker 7: The vote by the Board of Supervisors throws support and lobbying effort behind Governor Newsom's plan to raise the tax credit pool is seven hundred and fifty million dollars. Supervisor Jennis Hans as an ailing entertainment industry here needs it, and so do other parts of the economy.
Speaker 1: There are so many, you know, spinoff businesses that benefit every time there is a film shoot.
Speaker 7: TV and film production have free fallen in recent years because of strikes by writers and actors and increased competition outside of LA in California. In downtown La, Michael monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County south Land weather from KFI sunny with eyes in the upper sixties at the beaches, lot to mid seventies for Metro LA and Inland Orange County seventies to about eighty for the Valleys and Inland Empire, sixties in the Anelote Valley claireskuys on the way Tonight lows in the forties and fifties. Sonny tomorrow and Sunday Hi's about the same as today. It'll down about five degrees for Veterans Day. On Monday, it's forty nine and Irvine fifty four, Laguna Beach fifty in Pasadena, fifty five in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Am and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.