Speaker 1: Oh bad, that art.
Speaker 2: That Hello, and welcome to the show. This is the Cult of Conspiracy. Now I am the Cage to Night. I'm ravingly and today we are going to take a little journey relatively recent but still. We're gonna take a little journey back in history here to the nineteen thirties, forties, and we're going to end up somewhere in the sixties.
Speaker 3: So before we begin, I go ahead, I need to give it this disclaimer.
Speaker 2: And I have always been on this. I will never be off of this, and I make no apologies. I fucking hate commies. They are not people. I will stand by this until the day I die.
Speaker 1: I did not know where you're going with this, because you have a lot of things that you're pretty a staunch and your passionate about, I.
Speaker 2: Know, and sometimes to my detriment. And I'm willing to acknowledge that. And you know, I'm trying to learn more, gain wisdom and perhaps kind of slow down some of the more visceral hatred I have towards things that I had as a younger man. And I acknowledge this. No, I stand on business on this one. I'm keeping it ten toes down. Commies aren't people, and they all deserve a very brutal death. I stand by this, this being said, what is that is a take? It is the take I'm probably gonna stay on until the day I die.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: The more I look at for you of it, the more I look into it, the more it's It is the most detrimental and harmful system ever devised by human beings. More than chattel slavery. Communistic ideals have killed more people in such a short amount of time. Like, it's mathematically the most deadly and dangerous system human beings have ever created.
Speaker 1: You'll have to break it down for I feel like most people should know what communism is, but some people actually don't, and a lot of people get kind of things get better confused between fascism, socialism, communism.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm glad you even brought up fascism on this one because that does make its entrance.
Speaker 3: But all right, so let's break this down and know the episode.
Speaker 4: Is so what is it actually?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So this episode is not just gonna be a shit on Carl Marks, although I will do so till the day I die, But today we are gonna be talking about Soviet spy that infiltrated five and six specifically to spread communism and feed intel to the Soviet Union. But to answer your question, what is communism? So this guy named Karl Marx wants upon a time decided to write a book, and that book reads more like a utopic ideal set right where everybody pitches in, regardless of what job and what socioeconomic class they were born into. Whatever, everybody makes the same amount of money. There's no higher or lower standard of living. The ones that have more give to those that have less, and everybody is egalitarian as fuck.
Speaker 3: It's equal across the board.
Speaker 2: It's very utopian, and by the book and by the ideals, it is a perfect system.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: However, it will never work because human beings do not breit in such way. You could have a communist utopia work to five hundred I would maybe, And I'm being very generous when I say maybe a thousand people, because no matter what, human beings inherently want more. And I don't mean on a consumeristic kick. I mean just because we want a higher standard of living for our children than.
Speaker 3: What we got. That's inherent to all human beings.
Speaker 2: That means that we have a drive to achieve more than our parents did, and we want to instill in our children a drive to achieve more than we did.
Speaker 3: And so it goes.
Speaker 2: This means that we always are gonna have a can do attitude, and there's going to end up being haves and have nots, doesn't matter to what context. Even if there's no money and it's all farming, the dude that has the beef farm is gonna have a little more as far as leverage goes than the beat farmer. I'm very sorry. This is just what it is, right. The blacksmith, who you have to rely on him to make all of your tools to farm your land, he will have leverage to hold over people to where he will have more.
Speaker 3: This is just human nature.
Speaker 1: And hierarchies happen in everything, so it's gonna be inherent anyways.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and in the communistic way. Every single time period, hard stop period, every country, every nation, every group that has enacted a communist system, the haves and have nots get so vastly different. Like I understand, we have you know, a one percent of wealth in America. I absolutely understand that. And they are waging war on the middle class. Right now, I acknowledge this, And I'm not saying capitalism is a perfect system. I'm saying it's the best one we've come up with, just as of now. But in a communistic system, every time, the oligarchs and the ones at the top, the boys that are like really tight with the leader, will be living five star mansion lifestyles while the rest of their country are starving.
Speaker 3: And this happens on repeat every time.
Speaker 2: And then even further that point, and you know about plants, you know about farming, raven Liso Marxist farming became a thing where basically, and as I say this, I'm gonna watch your IQ points drop in real time.
Speaker 3: It's mind blowing.
Speaker 2: These people, these grown ass adults who had been farming for years and all this stuff. Right when Russia took over and the Soviets took over, the communistic ideals took over Russia, they took all of the farmland from the farmers and kicked them out because oh, that's your family land. You mean that it's the nation's land now, right, So then inste keeping the people that ran these farms for decades and centuries, who knew how to farm, they instilled Marxist farming with plants. So what do I mean by that? Every plant, regardless of breed, genus, which season they would best thrive in, doesn't matter. They got a one foot by one foot plot of dirt. And wouldn't you know Raven lead that they felt the famine for decades.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's really interesting mindset when it comes to gardening. It, especially when.
Speaker 2: Mass agriculture done to this scale. It wasn't a yard. This was their entire food network for the entire nation done like this. Yeah, but roll, because wouldn't you know it? Nature is about survival of the fittest, and certain plants and certain animals will do better in certain environments than others.
Speaker 3: And maybe you should plant at certain times of year.
Speaker 2: Perhaps this type of plant requires a little more dirt for their root network, and maybe this one doesn't.
Speaker 3: Require as much water. This takes nohow.
Speaker 2: But according to Karl Marx and all of the communistic way of thinking, everything is equal or else it's not good.
Speaker 1: That doesn't inherently work for any society never like ever has it or will it ever? I could only see it happening if it was under five hundred people. And these people were raised, some talking about taking infants and putting them into this society, and they were inherently brainwashed from the time that they were you know, in diapers up to pretty much you know, this is the way it is. But even that, though, is still going to need some management. Everything is about management. If anyone's watched Fallout, we all know it's true. It's all about management, though, like you're still going to have to have a type of hierarchy regardless of what your system is in place. You're going to have to have some type of ruling class to help maintain order and discipline in peace within the community. Now, there could be a lot more of sharing within the community, and you know, everyone's kind of will in us sense the majority is equal, but there will inherently have to be someone in charge, right, and people are naturally There's going to be natural people that want to follow and natural people that want to lead, and there's nothing wrong with either or for the record, there is nothing wrong with either art there's nothing.
Speaker 2: Wrong with being a follower as long as you do as you're supposed to do and the organization or the movement or whatever thrives.
Speaker 1: This is how And they also you know, protect you, and they share with you, and they make sure that you're safe and doing everything that you're supposed to be doing, because the natural balor and leaders are going to want to inherently lead, and that's not something that you could just brainwash out. Like it's going to arise, even if it's maybe not the first generation, the next generation will have that natural instinct come out. Plus we have natural instincts of flight or flight and wanting to herd together. And there's a lot of different things. I mean, in a in a fantasy book land sure, exactly, okay, But like even bookleans know that this won't inherently that people will suffer at the bottom naturally.
Speaker 3: This is my issue with it. Okay.
Speaker 2: So Carl Marx himself he wrote a book called the Communist Manifesto, okay, and people took this book and applied it literally and then it developed a cult following, which, for the record, communism is a cult. Then we have had so many people come on the show that have said that they used to be a member of the American Communist Party or this group over here, whatever the case. And every time, because you're also not allowed to have religion or spirituality at all perp time, and you are not allowed to think of a greater being.
Speaker 3: The society is the greater being, the nation is the greater being. That's it. Everything start stops an inn.
Speaker 4: So like Equilibrium the movie, There you Go.
Speaker 2: So we had Lindsay Sharman from Rogue Way. As a matter of fact, friend of the show love her to death. She used to be a Communist like card carrying member, and she is not a religious human being, but she is more of the spiritual vibe type. And whenever the Communists told her that she could not be that and be a communist, well wait wait if that's the case, and what about this, and what about this?
Speaker 3: Oh, you know what you need to do. You need to read this book, you need you need to read this other literature we just found. You need to redo this.
Speaker 2: Basically, you were forcing the person to reindoctrinate themselves every time they came up with a question.
Speaker 3: Or put a plot hold in an effect.
Speaker 2: Basically, so, and that's that's the going trend with this organization, this whole mindset of communism now communism itself, and we're gonna now shift to what socialism is as opposed to communism. So communism has pretty much a leader for life type of situation. It's essentially dictatorship with a communist hierarchy. Socialism you get to elector slave owner. Every few years, you get an election and you have this sense of choice, but it's literally just Marxist ideologies repackaged in a way that makes it look like the people have more freedom, but that's not true. And socialism and communism work great until you run out of money and you run out of food. Every time period it has ever been attempted on the history of the Earth, it goes great until the nation itself runs out of oil, runs out of gold, and then somehow their food network always collapses because communism and food just don't go together.
Speaker 3: It's like water and oil. They don't mix, right.
Speaker 2: So it's a whole thing now when you bring up what is fascism. Fascism if you were to take the alt right and the alt left, and I don't mean like you know what you're seeing on the media these days, I mean the extremeist of the ideologies on the farthest of the right and the farthest of the left and combine them under one military, totalitarian regime.
Speaker 4: That's fascism sounds super fun.
Speaker 3: That's why so many people will say that the Nazis.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, so you'll have leftists that will claim that everybody on the right is a fascist and a Nazi because certain right leaning ideologies the Nazis was a part of the Nazi rhetoric. On the same side, the Nazis were a socialist party, not that whole acronym that is the National German Socialist Party. That is what Nazi stands for. And the right can look at so many of the socialist ideologies that they have and say, no, Nazis were clearly left leaning. In reality, they are the worst of the farthest of both if this makes sense.
Speaker 4: But it does. I mean, I already know what they are.
Speaker 1: But like, yes, I think you did a really good breakdown for people, you know, to understand kind of what it looks like with all three of these things, and then interres in this conversation of the thirties, forties, and sixties.
Speaker 4: I'm curious to see how this plays out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's paint a picture here.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's we're gonna be talking about England, jolly old as some might say.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, we might as well just call it a Muslim country now, so like it's not for England now.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. England has fallen. But I would also argue that they started to fall with this group. Believe it or not, I think the Cambridge five started. That was the flick of the first domino that set everything else in motion. And okay, let's talk about it more so we're talking about England. Nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties. The Roaring twenties was a good time for a lot of people, and including England.
Speaker 3: Their economy was doing well.
Speaker 2: After this, it was the post World War One situation, all the things, all the stuff. The Great Depression hit and it didn't just hit the United States. That was a worldwide felt phenomenon that took place. Nineteen thirties things aren't looking so hot. But before the nineteen thirties you had two movements that were growing in England.
Speaker 3: If you got this guy named Oswalt Moseley who was a fascists.
Speaker 2: As matter of fact, he was at Adolph Hitler's wedding and he was pushing fascist ideals in England and was trying to start the British Fascist Party. As a way to take over their parliament system. So no longer we got this right and left. He was truly founding and growing the British Fascist Party. As a matter of fact, he had a cameo in a Peaky Blinders. At that same time, you had communists that were trying to start a revolution. I don't mean a political party, I mean an armed revolution inside the UK. And this wasn't just in the UK, this was around the world. If everybody thinks back to the Cold War and you talk to like your grandparents, or if your great grandparents are still alive, ask him about it, they will basically still hold true of just.
Speaker 3: Fuck comedies, dude, fuck them.
Speaker 2: And that's really how they were brought up, because it's not And I didn't understand this growing up. I didn't understand why the Cold War was against an ideal, Like, it's not US versus Russia. It was capitalism versus communism in a war. This to to younger me, this made no fucking sense. How do you how do you bomb an ideal?
Speaker 3: Right? How do you how do you stop that? That makes no sense.
Speaker 2: I now understand that it wasn't about just communism. It was the spread of communism if it would have stayed in Russia and just been a Russian thing, all right, that's not a threat to anybody, you do, you right, There's there's dictatorships that are going on right now that America is not lifting a finger to go help. And then there's some that were bombing the shit out of it. But that's that's a talk for another day. We're not talking about Iran today. But my point is the idea of okay, communism itself, it wasn't just supposed to stay in Russia. These fucks got together and decided we need to send out essentially missionaries to spread the good word of Karl Marx to the world, and they decided to start going after young college aged people, which is still what they do to this day. How many normal, decently adequately intelligent kids do you know that go off to college and they get indoctrinated with the most farthest left leaning rhetoric that makes no actual sense, No common sense.
Speaker 3: Person would speak like this, but they just say it because some.
Speaker 2: Professor and some club that they were a part of or whatever brainwash them into this.
Speaker 4: Thinking Yeah a lot, I mean.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, though, is they feed the rhetoric in every class pretty much like if you talk like them and walk like them.
Speaker 4: You get a's yep, like real shit.
Speaker 1: If you have different opinions, you might have some teachers that are pretty cool and they're like, you know, are right, I don't agree with you, but I'll still still give you a good grade.
Speaker 4: They will, they will likely mark you down.
Speaker 1: Then you have other teachers that are very staunch in their bias and their opinions, and they want you to quack like them and walk like them and do all the things, and they will mark you down. I have had this happen. I actually proved it to the dean of the school that you know this. Actually it was a vaccine paper about gardasil, and my teacher was extremely extremely pro vaccine, of every vaccine you could possibly do for your children and everything else. So my initial paper I wrote was against vaccines, against specifically this vaccine, and I had lots of data proving why she gave me a D minus. I don't think I've ever received that low over grade in my life. And I was like, oh, oh no. So I talked to her and she was like, well, you could tell by the language in which she's speaking that. She was trying to be very politically correct and not saying I march you down because I don't agree with you.
Speaker 4: She found every other.
Speaker 1: Thing to try to pretty much say that this is incorrect, which this is not. I was like, okay, So I came back and what I did was is I wrote the same quality paper for the vaccine, with the same amount of information, coming from the same sources, by the way, and she gave me an a plus on it and just raved about it and wanted to use it and all this stuff. So then I took it to my counselor and all this stuff, and I took it up the chain and we had this whole conference and I said, okay, well, you have two papers that are identical in the way that they're written, identical in the sources that are being used, identical in the length and everything else. One is pro vaccine, which you are for. The other is I wouldn't say anti vax. It's simply saying that this vaccine has and will be continued to be extremely unsafe for women and now boys as well.
Speaker 4: And these are the reasons why.
Speaker 1: And you chose this paper because this is your bias and you want everyone to believe exactly what you believe, and the dean agreed and like, but of course nothing happened. Of course she's you know, still allowed to be teaching. And that's where the indoctrination comes into play with the colleges is the information that's being pushed out is very very i would say, left leaning when in how they because they don't want offend nobody and all the stuff and you know, blah blah, you have to use iservatives. Yeah, yeah, but you have to use the language that they use. So you have to be extremely PC on everything you say, how you say it, the way that you approach it.
Speaker 4: You you don't want it. Like, but that's not with the liberals though.
Speaker 1: Like, if you're extremely liberal and you're having a conversation because we have these chatboards that we have to like message in, it's okay for you to say your opinion, but if you somehow insult their opinion, depending on the teacher and depending on the program and all the things, they will in fact mark you down or give you an f or tell you the hey, I've flagged your stuff, And then you have to have a conversation about how your behavior has now affected other students, and your guidance counselor is talking to you as a grown adult, like, hey, so that was really offensive. It's okay for the offensive party to be consistently doing this to everyone else, but if you say anything back, it's very much like oh no. And it's not just in one school. I have friends across the country. Ye, And I've attended multiple colleges across the country, and it is I will say, certain colleges are better. Other colleges are extremely liberal, and they will shove that shit down your throat. And that's where a lot of the indoctrination comes in, and the regurgitation of the same words on repeat, over and over and over again with the younger generation because they don't know what those words mean, and they are being told a speci narrative, and that narrative is being hounded into their brain, and that's how they think everything is supposed to be regardless of any other information.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you one hundred percent. And see that's the thing. You ravenly are intelligent, and you are a freethinker. You're an independent thinker. So when some professor does this, you're able to call the bullshit and just kind of connect.
Speaker 1: I also was in my thirties, so like mid late twenties, early thirties going into this, and so that was a big difference, you know, I was late twenties and then going into my thirties. Verse an eighteen year old that has been already indoctrinated, realistically in the school system to follow the rules, not question, regurgitate everything that you're given. Do not have a free thinking brain, because that's incorrect. You're not supposed to be thinking. And that is the way the system in America is forced down these children's throat. You're not praised to be a thinker. You are praised to be cattle and to not have any free thought and to just do what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Sit quietly, do this, do that, and that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So these kids are just listening.
Speaker 1: To this brainwash shit on repeat, and they have no freedom of thought, and they don't think that they can and they're not really trying to think outside of what's being taught to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And so that's the point here. You're able to think for yourself. And people who I'm not even gonna say it, had a certain upbringing, because that's not necessarily true either. But you went to college when you were relatively older than your classmates.
Speaker 1: There's I started in college when I was so I started when I was sixteen. I went to a specialized program, I got into doing college classes, and even that, like back then though, we could talk about ideas. And then when I went to college again when I was a little bit older, when I graduated, you know, they.
Speaker 4: Were still you.
Speaker 1: It was the starting of I wouldn't say the starting of it, because this has been going on for decades.
Speaker 3: Oh but basically twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, no, this has been going on for decades and decades, but the but I started to pick up on the patterns, and then when I got back from the Marine Corps, I really started to see the patterns for what they were. But I also have already had so much lived experience in my life to be able to see all this versus children that have no lived experience, and they are just realistically going from one institution to another, to being force fed one information, to confirming and buckling down on that same information as they're growing, and then all they see on social media is the same rhetoric that they're being fed.
Speaker 4: So there's no free thinking allowed exactly.
Speaker 2: And so getting back to the nineteen twenties, here, these kids were going to Cambridge University, large, very famous university, and they were being indoctrinated with communistic ideals. And we're going to talk about them and the work of what would become known as the Cambridge Five where Soviet Russia was using them to spy on the English government. And not only that, not just low levels, they had them infiltrate five six and then later their own media. Yes, Robert Maxwell, that whole thing we're talking about. Okay, all of this to give Soviet Russia intel on what the British government was doing. Because again, prior to World War Two, it's not like the Soviet Russia and the UK were homies, right the Cold War? Really, I know everybody says the Cold War started as soon as World War Two ended. That's not a factual statement. It might it's not an incorrect statement, but there's a lot to the backstory that people don't look at. In reality, the fascist Nazi Party and the Communist Soviet Union were actually allies in the very beginning of the war. There's this thing called the Ribbons Solf packed when Russia and Germany invaded Poland at the exact same time.
Speaker 3: They were on the same team.
Speaker 2: And regardless of what people might think, the Nazis didn't hate the Communists until the Communists went back on their agreement. They literally signed a treaty with each other, and Stalin said fuck that and went the opposite direction. And that is why more Communists were killed in the concentration camps and all these things like that absolutely took place.
Speaker 3: But prior to.
Speaker 2: World War Two, nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties, the Communist Party was growing all over Europe, all over the world. Hell, we had an American Communist Party that was springing up and still have one to this day. However, it is against federal law for any member of the Communist Party to hold a office period under penalty of jail time. There have been three elected in the last eighteen months. I was like, don't we have a three right now? They're at local city levels, but even still, by the letter of the federal law, they should all be prosecuted and serve jail time right now. And somehow nobody's enacting that law because feelings are.
Speaker 3: Something out fucking o hey, but it's at the point. It's other point. So the Cold War and.
Speaker 2: The reverberations of this where I should say the preverberations of this really started to be filed in the nineteen thirties, Okay, UK and America had a very very deep distrust of the Soviet Union and the communist ideals that were taking root all over the world. So Russia wanted some spies in England to speak on behalf of whatever the hell the British government was doing and what they were doing to spy on Russia. It was a strip up spy versus spy game, the mole finds the mole, the whole nine. And this is where a certain individual was reached out to and honey potted and in doctrinated to such a level that he started to bring in some of his friends.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say full on classmates.
Speaker 2: Although two of them I think were and started what would become known as the Cambridge Five. So, without further ado, I'm gonna go ahead and share the screen at this time. We're gonna get into the thick of it for anybody that would like to see what we were talking about rather than just hear about it. What you need to do is go to patreon dot com slash Cult Conspiracy Podcast.
Speaker 3: That is the only place to get these shows. Absolutely con commercial suck, advertisements suck, and we know that kick those ads out of here. Come support us directly a Patreon and get these shows, like I said, commercial free. Also get them a couple of days in advance, sometimes even a week in advance. But if you go to that third Eye all the way Open tier, you'll also get to join us for our Tuesday night live events.
Speaker 2: They're always fun, they're always unhinged. We're looking forward to it every Tuesday. And also if you get to the top tier, that Manic tier, not only will you get everything that I just listed, but you will also be receiving exclusive merchandise mailed directly to you from us as a massive token of our appreciation for support arding us in this way. This merchandise and these stickers will never be available on any merch store ever. This is just a gift from us to the individual that manic member of the Cult as a way of just saying, bro, thank you, thank you for supporting us, thank you for keeping the lights on, and thank you for keeping this this whole machine running, but without further ado. Let's get into it all, right, So this is actually from a newsreel talking about the things that came out later on about the Cambridge five in I five files revealed the secrets. Now, for those that do not know m I five and I six, what are the differences, you might ask? M I five would be more attributed to like the FBI. They handle internal matters as far as you know, national security spy things, doing investigations, all the things that's in MY five six is like the CIA, they handle the international affairs and they do that level of spycraft and fieldwork and these types of things. So this conversation of the Cambridge five that traverses both some of it was five, some of it was six. However, the MI five investigation into it is what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: They sound like something out of a Bond film, except they're very real. The Cambridge five British spies who fed secrets to the Soviet Union during the Cold War. I five has declassified a trophy of files, including equipment, training manuals, and first hand accounts from the infamous university students turned agents. Among the five Kim Philby, who went on to become a senior figure at six before his deception was discovered. The files reveal he met with a man named Otto in nineteen thirty four. At the insistence of his wife, a Communist Party member, Philby fled to Moscow after his confession. In twenty ten, another member, Anthony Blunt, worked for the late Queen Elizabeth as an art advisor and eventually confessed in exchange for immunity. However, her Majesty was not informed of his involvement for almost a decade. In truly regal fashion, a note among the collections says the Queen took the news calmly and said she was not surprised.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're gonna talk about all five of them. Only two of the names are just dropped. However, Wow, the royal family gets brought in on this one because, come to find out, there, for lack of better words, their art guy, the one that made sure that they had the art, their surveyor who was like buying really expensive pieces of art for them, a historian all these things, who was very intimately connected with the British royal family was a part of this and was feeding the Soviets information about the Royals, while the other side of it was feeding them information about the government, right, because the Royals and the government are separate somehow in Britain, but somehow still connected.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting, but beside the point.
Speaker 2: So, come to find out they knew that he was a communist and said nothing. They kept him in the loop for years, knowing that he was a communist and probably a spy, and they just didn't care.
Speaker 4: That's really odd, Like why would they do that.
Speaker 2: Because the British Royal family are fucking retarded.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say on that, honestly, but all right, let's talk about it here.
Speaker 2: This is a quick little article from Skyscape the Cambridge spy scandal that haunts Britain. So the Cambridge five tensions rise between US and Britain. US confidence and British intelligence nosedived during the Cold War after a ring of Cambridge University educated spies working for the British government smuggled intelligence to the KGB. The KGB, for anybody who does not know, is the Soviet Union's version of the CIA. The got disband It's now called the.
Speaker 3: OSP or something. I forget The acronyms. It doesn't matter. Russia's busy in Ukraine right now.
Speaker 2: But whatever, we're talking about this timeframe, the KGB, which is where Vladimir Putin got his start. People should know that he was a top dog and a fixer for the KGB agents. Anyway, the Furer or the Furr, I should say, erupted. I said the furor God, not Hitler, Not Hitler, the fur erupted. When Guy Burgess and Donald MacLean, two of these so called Cambridge Five, disappeared in nineteen fifty one. They had defected and later resurfaced in Moscow. Both were hopeless drunks, unstable and promiscuous characters who've been appointed to top jobs in London at the British Embassy in Washington, d C. So yeah, this also comes into play here. Their handler, which was also a member of the of the Cambridge Five, basically chose these two dudes. Specifically, one of them was a classmate of his at Cambridge and a friend of his. The other one they kind of found along the way, and he used them both to work at the US Embassy.
Speaker 3: In Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: One of them was like the agent in DC, the other one was the agent kind of relaying back above board without the spycraft, relaying the information from the British embassy to the British Parliament and.
Speaker 3: All these things in England. Both of them were spies.
Speaker 2: Both of them were spies, and essentially one of them got compromised. And so your boy top dog told Burgess, hey, listen, Donald has been made. You need to go to Britain right now. And you tell him to get out and go to Russia right now. But and he was very very specific on this, do not go with him. One spy that got caught and defected. We could brush that over both of you. There's no way that I can make this look good on paper, because keep in mind, he was the top dog for finding the spies. Believe it or not, the guy who was charged with finding the spies was a spy.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 4: That's some crazy shit, To be honest with you.
Speaker 3: It gets so ridiculous the more you look into it. But we're gonna go more.
Speaker 4: It is James Bond shitt hardcore.
Speaker 3: It legitimately is. Everybody thinks that, oh the James Bond, Oh that's just a movie. It's this.
Speaker 2: Listen, some of the villains in the Bond movies are a bit extra because it is books, right, Okay, that doesn't mean that this level of spycraft isn't real or born right or or oh what's that other guy, Jack Reacher, like these things that we see of, like this level of internal affairs, these levels of top secret information sharing in all of this. No, no, this is real life that really happens. And that is why I thought it was a fun one for us to talk about on this episode of The Cult Conspiracy. But anyway, so when he told Guy to go to Donald face to face because we can't trust the lines and get him the fuck out of here, do not go with him, Guy panicked and they both defected to Russia at the exact same time, putting crosshairs on your boy. But we're gonna talk about it more.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: The British Embassy reported back that the internal incident had severely shaken the State Department's confidence in the integrity of the officials of the Foreign Office. The Americans pointed to the drunkenness right, recurrent nervous breakdown, sexual deviations, and other human frailities were considered security hazards and dismissible offenses. Furthermore, the US advised Britain to clean house, regardless.
Speaker 3: Of whom may be hurt.
Speaker 2: According to a declassified paper release by Britain's National Archives. Now the guy in question, top dog, the dude who made the call and told him to get out.
Speaker 3: But don't go with him.
Speaker 2: All this, this is the guy, Kim Philby. This is the critical centerpiece of the Cambridge five. The unmasking of the first two of the Cambridge five came a little more than a year after the nineteen forty nine arrests of nuclear spy Klaus Fuchs.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure he's pronouncing it doesn't matter. It could be fucks.
Speaker 2: So the relationship between British and US intelligence was further compromised when Britain was dealt a third blow. Kim Philby, Britain's chief liaison with the American intelligence agencies in the in Washington, d C, was a member of the spy ring. So it's not like he was an embassy guy. He was I six's contact with the CIA.
Speaker 3: Wow, the guy who was.
Speaker 1: Listening, these were all that distrust and everyone is working for it.
Speaker 4: Vibe started absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: He gave somewhere around nine hundred secrets to the Soviet Union on behalf of either England or America. It was it's a mess not to mention all of what his boys gave him.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we'll talk about it more here.
Speaker 2: So the Philby's betrayal was not just an embarrassment for Britain, it was a threat to the US national security. Philby had worked closely with James Jesus Engleton, CIA chief of counter Intelligence, and the britt Liaise with the FBI at a time when the Director j Edgar Hoover was convinced that the Soviet spies were everywhere.
Speaker 3: Come to find out, Jay Edgar was correct.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I think he was also a deplorable human being, like a raging piece of shit, But that doesn't mean that he was incorrect when it came to this. It's crazy that he had dirt on every single president up until Nixon. And you know he did that as a way to protect himself and keep his job. So he knew the level of spycraft that he was willing to do to his own country. You're telling me that the Soviets don't have something similar going on. But people thought he was crazy, People thought that he was out of the box on that. Come to find out he was one percent correct. Philby had been briefed on Washington's Venona Project, a program to decrypt top secret messages transmitted by Soviet Union intelligence agents, including the KGB. We'll talk about that more in a bit too, because the guy who actually decoded the messages came to his contact with the international intelligence community to tell him, Hey, bro, I guess I figured out the code. I cracked the codes coming in from Russia, and I know there's two spies. They think there might be a third, But there's two spies in DC right now I have I'm really close to figuring out the uh the name of one of them, and I'm about to start working on the second. Come to find out the second was Philby himself, and the guy he was telling this to was Philby.
Speaker 4: Was he able to get out or did he get caught?
Speaker 3: Well, I want to jump too far ahead of the story here.
Speaker 2: Right, Let's talk about Philby is suspected of tipping off MacLean and Burgess, telling them their covers were blown. But remarkably, Philby continued to operate for more than a decade before Philby two defected.
Speaker 3: To Moscow in nineteen sixty three. Yeah, so let's talk about Philby's memoirs Panic Stations.
Speaker 2: So this is a book and we're going to read excerpt from it here in a bit. It's not altogether surprising that the Panics set in as Downing Street, which is their version of like Landing Downing Streets, where their agencies are based out of learned about the next problem.
Speaker 3: In nineteen sixty eight, Philby was.
Speaker 2: Shopping his memoirs around through Knowlton and American literary agent, and it seemed like his book My Silent War would be published or serialized in the US, UK and France. Philby's friend I six officer and author Graham Green, would write the introduction. Among many secrets revealed Philby's manuscript said that five bugged the British Communist Party's office in London. According to the government papers filed in the National Archives in twenty twenty, Britain's secret state swung into action. The UK government conjured up a non existent French double agent as a red herring to dissuade journalists from looking into closely or too closely into Phillipby's manuscript.
Speaker 3: According to the National Archives, so just so we're clear.
Speaker 2: When they realized that they were cooked, and they realized that there was nothing they could do to protect their image, they made up a whole story about some sort of a French double agent that was not real, just to run a story. They had pictures of the guy, they had a whole backstory for this guy.
Speaker 3: He never existed ever. But they did this as a way to say, oh, Philby's lying just to sell books. That's not what happened.
Speaker 2: Even though one of these stories was a complete fabrication and the other story had name, dates, records, locations and everything could be verified. So not a good look. So this is from the National Archives. In nineteen sixty eight, the British government urged the Sunday Times to write about a Soviet agent in France, which the journalists did, suggesting the spy was one of President Charles de Gaulle's staff. The Foreign Officer Sir Dennis Greenhill suggested reporters look into Leon Urist's novel Topaz, which he claimed was based on real Soviet networks operating in France, and Roy Jenkins, then Home Secretary, warned the Prime Minister that Philby's manuscript might expose another mole, Sir Anthony Blunt, the Queen's art advisor.
Speaker 3: So this all was.
Speaker 2: The Queen knew about it, but they didn't make it public until they couldn't hide it anymore and they had to acknowledge. Yeah, we knew he was a COMI and this and this, and it's like wait, so wait, how long was he employed after you found out? It was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's embarrassing start to finish. So Cambridge five, the fourth Spy emerges. The fourth man of Cambridge five was now in play. In nineteen sixty four, Cambridge alumnus Anthony Blunt, which actually hailed a noble title from family lineage believe it or not, admitted he'd spied for the Stalinist Russia. The confession shocked the Royal family and Britain's secret services, but was hushed up, with Blunt being.
Speaker 3: Offered immunity if he confessed.
Speaker 2: The deal cut by Britain's Home Office, and I five was so secretive even the Prime Minister at the time, Alec Douglas Home, didn't know about it. National Archives documents showed Douglas Home found out about Blunt's betrayal in November of nineteen seventy nine, when Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Speaker 3: Exposed Blunt in the House of Commons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could still find and I'll have it pulled up here, but you could still find excerpts from her address to Parliament.
Speaker 3: When she talks about the exposure of this group.
Speaker 2: Blunt had been recruited by Stalin sig Curity Agency the People's Commissariat Commissariat I don't know, for internal affairs in the nineteen thirties, and he later joined the British Army and I five before embarking on a career as an art historian and Queen Elizabeth's personal curator.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's crazy that he was this close to the royal family and they didn't do anything about.
Speaker 3: It, and you know, just throwing it out here.
Speaker 2: So the guy that's installing all of the paintings in Buckingham Palace, you mean he was a spy that could have been installing microphones and all this shit the entire way through, And it's like, yeah, why wouldn't you choose Yeah, that's the guy that's clearly the guy you would choose, because no one's gonna question the art curator. No one's gonna look deeper into the frame of this painting that this guy brought him from Vienna, Right, nobody's gonna ask these questions. This is clearly the objective guy to put into that position.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 2: So he also he was also a talent spotter for potential recruits at Cambridge University, among them John Cancross and Michael Strait, the reluctant American spy and former editor of the New Republic magazine. Straight was also an advisor on arts endowments with the Kennedy administration and an unpaid economics advisor for the US State Department. Straight the American, had a change of heart, however, and made his break with the Soviets in nineteen forty one and revealed all.
Speaker 3: To the FBI.
Speaker 2: In his autobiography After Long Silence, Straight described dining with only members of the Cambridge Ring in London. Quote, I learned, to my dismay that Anthony Blunt had been engaged in intelligence work throughout the war, he wrote. So Straight was recruited and then came clean about everything in nineteen forty one, before America even entered World War Two. This guy came forwards like, hey, y'all, I'm sorry, I fucked up. However, John Cairncross is the fifth man to this organization of the Cambridge Five. John Cairncross is often mooted as the fifth man. He was a Scottish and from a middle class background, but he studied modern language at the sore Bone in Paris and at Trinity College in Cambridge. Jeff Andrew's autobiography Agent Molier The Life of John Cairncross, suggests the spy was motivated by his disdain for the British ruling class and his intellectual and cultural affinity with anti fascists. His treason was astonishing while at Bletchley Park, which I gotta tell you it's a weird name, but okay, Karen Cross stuffed his briefcase and trousers with unredacted Enigma data to hand over to the Russians assisting in the Red Army in the Battle of Kersk against the Nazi forces in nineteen forty three. The Enigma, Just so everybody is clear, that is the code that the Nazis were using. And it took us forever to break this encryption. It was if I'm not mistaken, it's been a while since I looked into this. It basically was like a cipher and you had to use certain letters, had a certain designation and meant a certain thing. But there was a weird mathematical order to it as well. If anybody's curious, what like IBM the computer company, what they were doing during World War Two, they were creating Nazi Germany's Enigma machines to encrypt their messages.
Speaker 3: Just raw clear. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: You look at the companies that are around today that were clearly Nazi groups like Hugo Boss and Coco, Chanel, Volkswagen. There's a ton Basically, it's like one of the rules of history. Don't ask what any German company was doing from nineteen thirty eight to nineteen forty five, and it's like, you know, eh. Anyway, Anyway, his work as the private secretary of Sir Morris Hanky, a member of the committee that supervised the British Atomic Program, would have allowed him access to the reports he is suspected of passing to the Soviets. So not only was he passing off Enigma secrets to the Soviets, which helped them in the Battle of the Curse against the Nazis, which for the record, the encryption key was hal Hitler. Once you plugged that statement into the Enigma, it all laid.
Speaker 3: Out and you could read everything that the Nazis were saying to each other. Yeah, it's like using password as your fucking password. Like, grow up, dude. But anyway, you've never done that.
Speaker 2: No, No, when you were a kid, sure, but like as an adult, like you know, there's so many things you can make secure and like that they make it for you even But anyway, beside that point, So, not only did he do that, he also stole atomic secrets. Because every country had an atomic program at this time, right the Nazis were working on it, the British working on it, the Japanese were working on it. The Americans were the first people to successfully make it. And that's why whenever this went down we dropped the atomic bomb on Japan, they didn't realize that we actually were that far along because their nuclear scientists knew how difficult this would have been to make happen. They thought there was no way America actually has an atomic bomb, and then when we dropped on Hiroshima.
Speaker 3: They sent their experts out there to see, okay, was this.
Speaker 2: Actually an atomic bomb or was this like a really big dynamite explosion that they're trying to say it was an automic bomb. Dudes go out take some samples and they're like, no, no, they absolutely just launched an atomic bomb. And then they're like, well, there's no way they have more than one, Like we've been working on this for years and we're not even close.
Speaker 3: There's no way they've.
Speaker 2: Got more than one we dropped on on Nagasaki. And then they're like, okay, so how many do they have. There was a downed pilot. I forget the guy's name. I wish came. I have his face in my head. He looks like a shit stir like he looks like a guy that you cannot trust, like he's up to no good. They were interrogating him, and ah god, I wish I could remember the exact quotes. It's hilarious because like they're like, tell us about these bombs, and he's like, he's just a low level like Mustang pilot. He has no fucking clue about what they're doing with this Manhattan project. But he had known that America was working on it, and he had a buddy of his who used to be a teacher who was serving with him that tried explaining what was going on when a nuke would go off hypothetically of course, and so he just kind of started using that. They were like, well, tell us about this bomb. He's like, I don't know anything about a bomb. They beat the shit out of him, and they pulled out a samurai so where they're about to be at him, and he's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, that bomb, yeo, let me tell you all about it, and like let's go.
Speaker 2: So he's like, so listen, as you know, when the bomb is dropped, there's a lot of pluses and minuses that get released, obviously, And these people were like, oh my god, this guy knows what he's talking about. He meant positive and negative, like components of it, like an electron and a neutron, and he but he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about because he's not that level of educated. So he was able to fucking trapes and Drew and get these boys convinced that he knew what these things were.
Speaker 3: And they're like, how many does America have. He's like thousands, oh, thousands, and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, wait, what are some thousands?
Speaker 3: That is the only reason why the Emperor surrendered. Just so we're clear, there's people, there's people that will say that that's because actually Japan surrendered because the Soviets had just invaded Manchuria, which is China, which Japan had occupied at that time, and.
Speaker 2: Clearly that's why they surrendered. Russia was not a threat to Japan. They had no navy. The plan for Russia to have a mainland invasion into Japan meant they had to use US ships. Them invading Mancheria played no part in Japan surrendering in World War Two, And as a matter of fact, the Japanese sources will say the exact same thing is it didn't just me going off on a tangent, but beside the point. So this guy's saying, they had thousands of these atomic bombs, they're cranking them out as fast as they can pop up up. Finally, Japan brings in one of their nuclear scientists and like, ask this guy the same question, and within thirty seconds he's like, yeah, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: He's like, the why we've been lying, He's like, because they were about to fucking behead me, dude. He's like, okay, yeah, that makes sense, that checks out. But it did in fact lead to Japan's surrendering. But anyway, so every country that was really a key player had an atomic program, and they were it was a race to see who could develop the atomic bomb first. America just happened to be the one across the finish line before any others. Anyway, So the Cambridge five, the end of an era, Soviet defector Oleg Gordevski fingered care and cross.
Speaker 3: I really hate that expression. When you finger somebody for a crime. Bro, you couldn't just say pointing him out.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've ever heard that expression. I don't feel like I have. Oh maybe I'm just really tired and like whatever. And but it's that's a weird one. That's an old there's a lot of there's a lot of weird expressions.
Speaker 2: So have you ever watched the show Dragnet No, an old detective show from way back in the day. But it's like she wrote, I don't think they would use that murder, she wrote, it's like older than that, Like we're talking nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: They'd be like, oh yeah, so we had a murder. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I already fingered the part for the crime. And it's like it's a oh okay, yeah, no I have now that. It's just been a long time since I've heard it.
Speaker 3: It's not something common. And then an hour, day and age, it's like you could have even if you just use that. No, no, Raven, don't because then people are going to look at you like you did what to who? Like?
Speaker 4: But you're welcome and just walk away straight face, I.
Speaker 3: Fingered the suspect, we got him, you did what what? Yep?
Speaker 4: You are welcome.
Speaker 2: That actually might get you a harassment charge these days, honestly god. But anyway, so he pointed out care Cross as a spy in his nineteen ninety book KGB The Inside Story, but Cancross was never charged and died of a stroke in England in nineteen ninety five. He is actually the only member of the Cambridge Five to make his way back to England and die of old age. Somehow he was allowed to come back home after all these things.
Speaker 3: But anyway, how we'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: More So, Burgess remained in Russia died of fifty two of acute liver failure.
Speaker 3: Again, he was a raging alcoholic.
Speaker 2: MacLean reportedly died of cancer at sixty nine and was cremated in Moscow, hailed as a quote faithful son and citizen of the state of the Soviet State.
Speaker 3: I'm just we're all clear here.
Speaker 2: Anthony Blunt was stripped of his knighthood and lived as a recluse in London until his death from a heart attack at the age of seventy five. And as for Kim Philby, the most notorious of the Cambridge Five, he passed away in nineteen eighty eight at the age of seventy six, having spent twenty five years of his life in Moscow. His wife I'm not going to pronounce that name, told this newspaper that Philby was delusioned with Communism by the end of his life or disillusions, I should say, tortured by his failings, and drank himself to death. It's also should be noted each of these individuals that made their way to Moscow was forced under house arrest for a decade apiece. So even after these guys in Moscow, yes, yes, because they couldn't be trusted. What so you were willing to turn your back on your home country, where your family lives, your mama lives here, and you're willing to sell them out for us. How the fuck can I trust you now that you're in my house?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Ten years of their lives they had to stay in house arrest because they were willing to be spies.
Speaker 3: Yep, what yep, it's fucked that.
Speaker 4: It's just Jamaica or something.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck that, Fuck all of them.
Speaker 2: I hoped that they would get a slow, torturous death, but instead they all died of normal.
Speaker 3: Things I guess, but mealy, alcohol, that's Russia. There's nothing to do except eat borsched and fucking drink vodka, which Borsch is fucking gross. But anyway, let's get more into it here.
Speaker 2: So there's actually a TV series that came out about it called Cambridge Spies. It was on in two thousand and three is when it was released. I haven't seen it yet, but it's on Prime if anybody is curious. I am actually wanting to check this out. It seems like it's a pretty good flick. But anyway, all right, moving forward here, so let's go deeper into the Cambridge five. Right, Let's talk about all these things in depth. The Cambridge Five was a spy ring in the United Kingdom that passed information to the Soviet Urine Union during the Second War, World War, and the Cold War, and was active from the nineteen thirties until at least the early nineteen fifties. None of the known members were ever prosecuted for spying. The number and membership of the ring emerged slowly from the nineteen fifties onward. So again we just read about this. None of them ever saw jail time. The one that was found in the Queen's court, so to speak, was stripped of his title and basically died a recluse, but he never saw the inside of a prison cell. All the other members that were absolutely a part of this made their way to Moscow and they were under house arrest there, but they were never prosecuted for their crimes, including the two dudes that were in America spying on us on behalf of Britain, on behalf of Russia.
Speaker 4: How is that possible? Like he would think that somebody would hold them accountable.
Speaker 2: They got out before the snare could close on them fully, essentially, so let's read more here.
Speaker 3: None of us talked about the general public.
Speaker 2: First became aware of the conspiracy in nineteen fifty one after the sudden flight of Don McLean in he was code named Homer and Guy Burgess code named Hicks, to the Soviet Union. Suspicion immediately fell on Kim Philby, who co named Sonny or Stanley, who eventually fled to the Soviet Union in sixty three. Following Philby's flight, British intelligence obtained confessions from Anthony Blunt. And for the record, I looked this up too, actually because I was curious James Blunt, the singer.
Speaker 3: I was curious if there was a family tie here.
Speaker 2: No, no, because actually James James Blunt's birth name is Blount b l be fair.
Speaker 1: That dude is ridiculous if you actually watch him, some of his stuff and the shit he talks.
Speaker 4: Because like, I was high as fuck and I just made this like whatever, Oh.
Speaker 3: Your boy is a veteran, he guns, Yeah he is.
Speaker 1: He is hilarious and actually like what he says and does. Yeah, I actually I watched all about him shreaz and I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Your boy joins the I don't know if it was the Royal Marines or the RAF or what, but he joins the British military, does a couple of tours in Afghanistan, stacks a couple of bodies for the queen you know, comes home, cuts a couple of you know, number one musical number chart things and all this stuff, and then he just kind of dips off and now he just stirs the pot on the social media's.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, I'm a massive fan of him. I like him a lot. He's funny, he's great.
Speaker 2: But no, so there is no connection between James Blunt birth name Blount Blount and Anthony Blunt. I was curious, but anyway, his code name was Johnson and then John Cairncross code name LITZI or Litzt, who have come to be seen as the last two of the group of five. So it's very possible that there was more. Just so we're all clear. The name is a bit off putting that there was the Cambridge five. The five didn't know each other three o ka five. Three of the five knew each other, but the fact that all five of them were Cambridge graduates, the newspapers gave them the title of the Cambridge Five.
Speaker 1: I thought they all honestly knew each other and were working in tandem with each other.
Speaker 4: That's what I was figuring going on.
Speaker 3: You would think with the title like that, you would think it so.
Speaker 2: But apparently your boy Karen Cross and Blunt they knew each other, and then Burgess, MacLean and Philby all knew each other. But these two were operating completely separately. Like I said, so, Kim Philby, Don and MacLean and Guy Burgess they were all working with I five and six at that level of the British Intel Service. Blunt was working in the Royal Household as their art curator, and then Careen Cross he was working with their telecommunications network to steal information about that. But he wasn't necessarily in cahoots with them, or at least there's not much evidence to say such so. Anyway, And also to prove this point, this is Kim Philby on a stamp in Soviet Union, so he got out regarded as a Russian hero even though he was on house arrest for ten years.
Speaker 4: That is why I'm like, wait, what, like, how are you a Russian hero?
Speaker 3: And then house arrest in Soviet Russia we arrest hero too. I know, it's crazy, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Everybody gets the same treatment.
Speaker 3: Everybody equals everybody's doing time in this bitch. It's like, wait, what yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Rased my whole life for this fuck Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dude, all right, so let's get more into it.
Speaker 2: So the group was recruited by the NKVD during their education at the University of Cambridge. The NKVD, just so we're all clear, here is the People's Commisserate for Internal Affairs. It's the Soviet Union version of this, right, so, but the exact timing is debated. Blunt claimed that they were not recruited as agents until after they had graduated. A fellow of Trinity College, Blunt was several years older than Burgess McLean and Philby, and he acted as a talent and recruiter. The five were convinced that Marxism and Leninism of the Soviet Communism was the best available political system and the best defense against fascism. Never mind the fact that the fascists and the Soviets worked together at the beginning of the war. We're not talking about that apparently, but yes, clearly, all pursued successful careers in branches of British government.
Speaker 3: They passed large.
Speaker 2: Amounts of intelligence to the Soviets, so much so that the KGB became suspicious that at least some of it was false. They were so successful that the KGB was like, there's no way they got this much intel.
Speaker 3: There's no fucking way.
Speaker 2: Well, come to find out it was perhaps as important as the specific state secrets was the demoralizing effect to the British establishment of their slow unmasking and the mistrust in British security this caused in the United States. So again we're going to talk about the h the membership here a little bit here. I do want to bring this up here. So Yuri Moden, who later reported to the Soviet intelligence mistrust of the Cambridge of double agents during the Second World War and had difficulty believing that the men who would have access to top secret documents. They were particularly suspicious of Harold Kim Philby, who was the ringleader of all this, by the way, wondering how he could or how he could have become a British intelligence officer given his communist past. So he was a card carrying communist in college and somehow, through a weird chain of events, got hired to work for I six. Now some have questioned how this happened, believe it or not, seriously, it was because of his wife and then his other wife. It's so all right, let's break this down real quick. Happen bitches, be honeypotting the motherfuckers what you meant to say? My god, this boy had nothing he could do against that Austeria Jesus Christ Austrian badge, and well none he could do against that shit she was throwing it on.
Speaker 3: Old boy. Oh boy, I'm sure Cambridge educated all this. So in college, Kim Philby starts working for the communist groups from around the world and he goes to Austria to support I forget if it was a political candidate or just the movement in general, but he was like a true blue comedy at this point. And he meets this girl.
Speaker 2: He meets this woman who basically gets in his head and decides, you know what, we're gonna make some things happen for you.
Speaker 3: Her name was Lizzie Friedman, and if you're curious.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was Jewish, and so she basically got in his head and within one year of them getting together, it was decided that whatever they were doing with the Communist Party in Austria was drawing a lot of attention from the police and as so much so that they were about to arrest her. So they had to evacuate. And she was an Austrian citizen. She wasn't a British citizen. There's no way that she could just get a passport, especially being a card carrying communist.
Speaker 3: So what's the best course of action.
Speaker 2: Well, the guy she's been fucking for about a year, Kim Philby, is a British citizen, and if they get married right now, then we could just leave and go to Britain and never come back.
Speaker 3: So they did.
Speaker 2: They did a courthouse marriage. We're gone within a week, and literally in the courthouse she said, I have big plans for your career. So in a bit of a fucking honeypot.
Speaker 3: Honestly, hmmm.
Speaker 2: Interesting that was Kim Philby's first wife, wouldn't you know it? They get divorced pretty much like a year and some change after they get to England. Who could have ever predicted that, right, I mean, because why would you trust a fucking comedy whatever, especially a honey pot comy bitch.
Speaker 3: But okay, whatever, fine, Uh.
Speaker 2: She later on ended up having an affair with uh, a dude that would become mayor of of Jerusalem if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: And she yeah, she uh German Jewish.
Speaker 1: She was out here working though she was she was doing what she was supposed to be doing him for the Soviet Union.
Speaker 2: Slotting it out man, doing what she could, spreading them legs for uh, for old Linen and Stalin and all that. Which fine, you know whatever, you gotta use whatever availability you can.
Speaker 3: I guess you gotta. You gotta use the assets that God gave you. I guess. Although there's pictures of her, I don't see the appeal. She was not a good looking broad.
Speaker 2: I know I'm a bit objective here, I get that, but like biased, Oh, I mean, I'm objectifying her, But I understand bias.
Speaker 3: You know, I personally like women that are hervey, but like of all the things this check there is way better looking Austrian bitches, Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: But like, no, no, no, whatever she was doing in the bedroom, maybe it was that thing with the tongue. I don't know, but like a curently old boy was willing to sell it all this for this gash.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Later on, after this divorce happened, he went super quiet about his Communist beliefs from his past. We're still talking about Philby here. And he married a woman named Eileen Firs, who later became Aileen Philby. She was born in India, which this was British ruled India at the time. Her father had been killed in the early states of the First four World War, and they were well connected and several members had important jobs. One of the primary private secretaries to Winston Churchill. Another had been director of the Women's Royal Navy Service, and then another one was the.
Speaker 3: World Bureau of Girls' Guides.
Speaker 2: So like that, she had a very well connected family when it came to the British government, and so when he got with her and married her, had a couple of kids and all these things. Basically, phil or Philby, I should say, was able to use that to leverage his patriotism. And whenever he had his interview with the Six Agency, no one questioned him. No one questioned his Communists past, No one questioned where he was after he left college and went to Austria and what he was doing. Nobody questioned him on his first marriage that was on the books and divorced in this time at day and age was very crazy, Like, no one got divorced, so the fact that he had a divorce on the on the books would have been a massive red flag.
Speaker 3: No one questioned it. No one questioned it at all as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Later on, though, Eileen found work as a store detective in the Marble Arc branch of the Marks and Spencer. It was here that she met friends with Flora Solomon. This is a very important individual, the daughter of a Jewish Russian gold tycoon. Solomon later recalled that Eileen belonged to that class now out of fashion called county. She was typically er English, slim and attractive, fiercely patriotic, but awkward in her gestures, and unsure of herself and company. Flora Solomon is the reason why anything was finally realized about Kim Philby, believe it or not, because Kim Philby also tried recruiting Flora Solomon in to be a spy under his network at one point in time. M hmm, yeah, So Solomon was a good friend of Kim Philby and she actually introduced him to Eileen at her home. In nineteen thirty nine, It was a day that Neville Chamberlain declared war on Nazi Germany. Philby later recalled, so it was a date well remembered because it was disastrous for the world and to myself. It has been argued that Philby found that she had an open manner and easy laugh and was a good companion. Talking about his wife, he treated her with sentimental affection, talking to her about his adventures, listening to her stories about her work.
Speaker 3: They were obviously in love.
Speaker 2: Solomon commented that Philby found an avid listener in Eileen, and the next I heard they were sharing a flat or an apartment as we call in America. Anyway, moving on, Eileen gave birth to three children, Josephine, John, and Tom Kim. Philby divorced litz Friedman September of nineteen forty six and married Eileen First a week later.
Speaker 3: So again it was very clear that this was a move, like this was a move on the chessboard.
Speaker 2: So you're ditching the chick that was a kamie that was about to get arrested in Austria, and you marry this chick that is uber connected in the British upper class within a week.
Speaker 1: Word yeah, word, I mean maybe he's just been waiting for that divorce for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was clearly a part of it.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so over the next few years, her mental health deteriorated. O wait, I think I skipped something here. Her contribution to the marriage was to provide relaxed domestic atmosphere to bear Philby's children and to accept his dictum that they should not receive any sort of religious education. Also a pretty big red flag, you know, the commedies don't believe in religion or whatever. So whenever your spouse is like, ah, I don't think we should have religion in this house at all, that is a really big red flag, y'all. Over the next few years, her mental health deteriorated. Aileen Philby suffered from a psychiatric disorder later known as Munchausen syndrome that manifested itself into episodes of self harm and bouts of pyromania in order to attract sympathy and attention. Eileen was described as awkward in her bouts of pyromania. I'm sorry, awkward in her gestures, and unsure of herself and company, he suggested. Ben McIntyre had suggested that perhaps Eileen's distress reflected the first stirrings of doubt. She may already have begun to wonder whether her husband was really the charming Auxuria's popular.
Speaker 3: Straight batting bureaucrat that he seemed so clearly not.
Speaker 1: She probably was like, crap, he's doing some shady shit and I'm stuck. I wonder what I should do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably, honestly.
Speaker 2: In nineteen forty nine, Kim Philby became SIS representative in Washington. That's the Secret Intel Service as British is, or Britain's top secret security officer, working in liaison with the CIA and the FBI. Eileen and the children also moved to America, and the Philbies took a spacious, ramshackle two story place at forty one hund Nebraska Avenue. They gave a lot, They gave a lot of parties, as Philip Knightley pointed out quote.
Speaker 3: As the months passed, the.
Speaker 2: Drinking, not only Philby's but Eileen's two seemed to get heavier, and the birth of the fifth child, Harry, who suffered from convulsions, produced tensions in the family that Eileen seemed to have difficulty handling. In nineteen fifty, Stuart Menzies and Johnson Claire discussed the possibility of Philby becoming the next director general of the Six. They were genuinely about to put this guy in charge of the service that still to this day, certain British people will say I six doesn't exist, even though it's well documented. They still act like it's so hush hush and so secret that people.
Speaker 4: Still not secretive of all everybody knows about it.
Speaker 2: I know, it's like Delta Force. It's like, oh, well, they're so secret. No one knows that Delta Force is real.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are. Yeah, they fucking are, like, we know this. It's so dumb, but yes.
Speaker 2: So they were about to put the guy at the head of the Soviet spy network in charge of him I six because he was so good at his job, apparently so good. He asked Arthur Martin, I'm sorry. Dick White was asked to producer report on Philby, and he asked Arthur Martin and Jane Archer to carry out an investigation into his past. They became concerned about how quickly he changed from a communist sympathizer to a supporter of pro fascist organizations like pretty much overnight. They also discovered that the description of the mole provided by.
Speaker 3: Walter Kovitski and Igor Gwinscow sorry, was close to that of Philby's time in Spain as a journalist quote unquote. It was now decided that Philby could in fact be a double agent. That was in nineteen fIF right, so he was already a top dog, yeah, and they were looking at making him an even deeper and higher up top dog. But now there was starting to be some chinks in the armor.
Speaker 2: When Guy Burgess and Donald MacLean defected nineteen fifty one, Philby became the chief suspect as the man who tipped them off that they were being investigated. Under pressure from Clement Attlee and Herbert Morrison, Stuart Menzy agreed that or Philsby should be interrogated by six. However, they cleared him of being part of aspiring. However, because he was able to say the right words. He was absolutely able to just tell them all the things and all right, cool, cool, cool whatever. But here's where things took a downward turn for a boy. However, the CIA insisted that they should or yet he should be recalled to London. Like they were like, fine, look, you're not gonna use him to be our go between between you and us. I'm sorry, fuck this guy. In September of nineteen fifty one, Philby officially resigned from I six to, but continued to work for the organization on a part time basis. He was also paid four thousand pound to compensate him for losing his job. They gave him a severance package and thanked him for his years of service. Never suspected him of anything, and then I kind of let him work on as a part time basis for a good while here.
Speaker 3: So there was a book written called A Spy among Friends.
Speaker 2: It points out that nineteen fifty two, Eileen Philby was convinced that her husband was a Soviet spy. Eileen knew that her husband had lied to her consistently and coldly from the moment they first met and throughout their marriage. The knowledge of this duplicity tipped her into a psychological abyss from which she would never fully emerge. She confronted Kim, who denied everything, and the assuing Roe, far from dissipating for her fears, merely confirmed her conviction that he was lying. So later on, in nineteen fifty three, Nicholas Elliott arranged for Kim Philly to work for I six and bea root was as a journalist being employed by the Observer and the Economist. The Observer and the Economist would share Philby's services and pay him three thousand pounds a year plus travel and expenses. At the time, Elliott raims that Philby would resume working for six, no longer as an officer, but as an agent posing as a journalist gathering information for British intelligence in one of the world's most sensitive areas. He would be paid a retainer through Godfrey Paulson, chief of the Beirut m I six station. So he goes from being low level member of five and I six and all of this is above board, all this is on paper and the British know about this. He goes from being an obscure nobody who divorced a chick, married a chick and used those connections to get in pretty much no questions asked, into the upper rationalon of British secret intelligence agencies. Then he goes so far with that that he becomes the liaison between am I five and MY six and the FBI and the CIA. Like the guy he has spies in both working under him. He gets caught, but somehow works the system enough to get a healthy severance package and continue working for the organization as a journalist in Lebanon, and continue doing that for years.
Speaker 3: Your boy just.
Speaker 2: Can't miss apparently, and somehow the fact that he was feeding the Soviets information this entire time just went unknown.
Speaker 4: Who knows, Probably one of the best spies ever.
Speaker 3: I guess that's why then the Russian see him as a national hero.
Speaker 4: Honestly, ah, this is the key peak of narcissism and gaslighting.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: So Eileen did not go with her husband to be root. Her friend Floor Solomon became increasingly concerned about her mental state and claimed that she had been abandoned by her husband. Solomon wrote to Philby complaining about the treatment of his wife, and Philby replied that Eileen's claims were hooey and that I made a clear arrangement with her that she should pay the household bills and forward me the receipts, whereupon I would refund her. Yeah, such a loving husband. So far he had not had a single receipt, so no receipts, no money. So basically, as far as the world was concerned, he just full on walked out on his family. Phil Be added that if she could afford the luxuries of risking her neck at point two points, at point to points, she can damn well send me the receipts.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He finished his attack on his wife with the comment that he was fed up with her idleness. Yeah, he's real, real, peach.
Speaker 1: I mean, clearly this was just an arrangement kind of a situation to uphold his cover, and then with her getting more suspicious, she probably felt like she was losing her mind because he was.
Speaker 4: Gaslighting her so well.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that every time she even thought that she was making headway of like I know you're doing something nefarious, then he would just come back at her and like you're crazy or this or that. I'm sure he even talked about putting her in an institution, because back then they just throw your ass in the institution for everything.
Speaker 2: So I don't think he fair enough to even say that, because she needed to be home to take care of the kids so he could go and do whatever the fuck he wanted.
Speaker 3: Like, my god, this bitch won't shut up, Like Okay, yeah, I know you're trying to let the house on fire. I know you're trying to kill yourself and you just get it together. Okay, we're all out here struggling. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: He didn't give a fuck. I mean, this is just a part of his cover. He was like deeply entrenched and obsessed with like doing this, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: He was a full blown believer of the communist way, like a full cult member of that group. Continuing on here, Kim Philby had become involved with Eleanor Brewer, the wife of Sam Prope Brewer, a journalist working for the New York Times. So he was honey potting to get information later on from another journalist's sources. Believe it or not, She later recalled what touched me first about Kim was his loneliness.
Speaker 3: Ah, there you go.
Speaker 2: He's using all the things to his advantage, being a real fuck boy about it. A certain old fashioned reserve set him apart from the easily familiarity of the other journalists because he wasn't a journalist.
Speaker 3: He was a spy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was then forty four, of medium height, very lean, with a handsome, heavy lined face. I'm gonna show you a picture of this guy in a bit.
Speaker 4: I want you to tell he's not at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know, okay, his eyes were an intense blue, and he had a gift for creating an atmosphere of such intimacy that I found myself talking freely to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fuck boyshit right there.
Speaker 1: He's very smart with how he talks. I mean, clearly he's gotten out of all this so far. So he's pretty intelligent when it comes to being able to manipulate people.
Speaker 2: She says, I was very impressed by his beautiful manners. We took him under our wing. Kim soon became one of our closest friends, and then he started fucking her behind her husband's back, just you know, as you do, I suppose. Anthony Cave Brown, the author of Treason of Blood, has argued that within two weeks of meeting, they became lovers, meeting secretly at little cafes in the mountains, at the beaches, anywhere they would not be seen by friends. He showered her with the little love notes written on paper from cigarette packages. Brewer had long since ceased to concern himself with his wife's fidelity and kept the marriage in place only for the sake of their daughter. Annie Brown believes that their evidence that Wilburg. Crane Evelyn, the CIA's station chief in Beirut, had asked Eleanor to spy on Philby, possibly m M sense certain letters Shoe Evelyn advising a CIA officer about the relationship, suggesting that she was his controlled informant in the Philby case. It's very possible. I don't know that for a fact, but I believe it's possible anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So that's the situation of how Kim Philby went from being an obscure nobody got in with a communist's piece of ass, then moved on to a woman who had a lot of family connections in England, and then found himself in these positions on the spy network side of things, which I think was rather interesting, to be honest with you. According to one later report, about half the documents the British spy sent to Moscow were never even read due to the distrust. Nonetheless, the Soviets received a great deal of secret information one thousand, seven hundred and seventy one documents from Blunt the art Guy, forty six hundred and five from Burgess, forty five damn Here, forty six hundred from MacLean, and five thousand, eight hundred and thirty two from Cairncross. All of this was from nineteen forty one until nineteen forty five.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, to what level these documents were, to what level of secrecy? Was it communications, was it battle plans? Was it nuclear secrets? I mean, the mind boggles to really think about it. But even still, all of that was done because they were too worried about the war and nobody was paying attention to this. Apparently. I don't know why they wouldn't. You would think that during a war you'd be paying real close attention to your spine network. But okay whatever. MacLean and Burges met as students at Cambridge in the early nineteen thirties, both of them being ideologically opposed to capitalism. They were recruited by Soviet intelligence operatives and became undercover agents. McLean began delivering information of the Soviet operatives as a member of the Foreign Office in nineteen thirty four. Burgess also began supplying information from various positions between thirty six and forty four, first as a BBC Corps spawn it once again, the journalism comes in here, then as an active member of British intelligence and then finally as a member of the Foreign Office, that's when he was the connection between the CIA and MI six. MacLean and Burgers were reportedly seen by their Soviet handlers as hopeless drunks, and they had a hard time keeping their secret occupations to themselves, and it said that Burgess, while leaving a pub highly intoxicated, accidentally dropped one of the secret files he had just taken from the Foreign Office, thereby potentially jeopardizing his secret identity. MacLean was also known to have leaked information about his secret activities to his brother and close friends. Although they struggled to keep secrets, they did not stop them from delivering information. Burgess reportedly handed out about three hundred and eighty nine top secret documents over to the Soviets within the early part of nineteen forty five, along with an additional one hundred and sixty eight documents in December of nineteen forty nine. Between thirty four and fifty one, MacLean passed numerous secrets to Moscow. The lack of detection was due to the refusal of British intelligence to listen to warnings from the US. Even after the FBI had established that an agent code named Homer, had been operating inside the British embassy in Washington during the war. According to a review of McLean's biography by Roland Phillips, Now, who is the guy that discovered this? You might be asking, who's the dude that was able to really find Oh wait a minute, you know, like we have a real mole situation here.
Speaker 3: This guy, Meredith K.
Speaker 2: Gardner, all right, so cracked the codes to unmask key Soviet spies.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they got picture of the guy. They do not. Another article did. But he just he looked like a data analytical nerd, honestly, and his whole job was to take codes and try to find patterns.
Speaker 4: That was it before AI was invented, right.
Speaker 2: Before computers, honestly, or at least they weren't being used for this purpose. And he discovered that there was a code that was there was a pattern in this code that was coming from Moscow to Britain to the United States and then back through the same network. He was able to figure out that their aliases was Homer, and he was working on this other alias and he figured out he thought he knew who Homer was and all these things.
Speaker 3: So when he found this.
Speaker 2: Out, he reports to the liaison, who happened to be Kim Philby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who happened to spy, the head.
Speaker 3: Of the entire debacle. So oh sorry, jumped ahead here, continuing on where'd it go? Ohy, I was here? Anyways, it was discovered by the FBI by the Americans that y'all have a spy.
Speaker 2: We know for sure we have two of them in America. We know for sure there's at least one in Britain. We're going to start to do an investigation on this. This is when Philby told his boys listen, it was a MacLean. He told Burgess to go to England and tell MacLean, ay, bro, he's been compromised.
Speaker 3: He needs to leave. You need to stay.
Speaker 2: Do not go, because if both of y'all take off, you both work directly for me. And if both of you take off, what am I gonna look like? So they both took off, obviously and randow Russia with their tails tucked because they were scared of reprisals.
Speaker 3: And somehow Philby was able to say the right words to get away with all of that for a while.
Speaker 2: But anyway, moving forward. Philby, which was posted in the British Embassy in Washington after the war, learned that America and British authorities were searching for a mole in the British embassy. Uh oh wait, we just kind of talked about that. We don't really have to go into the deepness of that. Burgess and MacLean disappeared in the summer of nineteen fifty one and spent most of the next four years living covertly in Kubyashev. Yeah, Kubyashev, Russia. Their whereabouts were unclear for some time, and their defection was not confirmed until nineteen fifty six, when the two appeared at a press conference in Moscow. Though Burgess was not supposed to effect at the same time as McLean, it has been claimed that he had been ordered to do so by his controllers in Moscow. I don't believe that's actually real, but anyway, the move immediately cast suspicion on Philby because of his close connection with both of them, and Philby could have even climbed to a higher position if this wouldn't have happened. Because at this time, nobody had anything negative to say about the Guy. In twenty nineteen, Russia honored Burgess and MacLean in a ceremony they had already passed by this point, and a plaque was attached to the building where they lived in the nineteen fifties. The head of Russia's foreign intelligence service, the SVR praised the duo on social media, having supplied Soviet intelligence with the most important information for more than twenty years, making a significant contribution to the victory over fascism, the protection of our strategic interests and ensuring the scene of our country.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 1: They were able to operate for so long and gather so much information in just four years. I mean, it's almost twelve thousand documents that they were able to gather than three of them.
Speaker 2: Technically it was more closely to twenty because they started in nineteen thirties and they ended in the fifties, so I mean, even still nobody found out who they were, and then whenever they almost did, they just defected and lived under house arrest for a while. But they from all accounts, they kind of moved on and lived relatively normal, happy, healthy lives towards the end of that and just drank themselves to death, because what else are you going to do in Russia?
Speaker 3: I guess all right, so we already kind of broke down Philby a bit.
Speaker 2: I don't really need to go into it a bunch, but in the later nineteen fifties we talked about if Philby left the Secret Service and began working as a journalist in the Middle East, writing for The Economist and the Observer. M I six then re employed him around the same time to provide reports about that region.
Speaker 3: Seen sixty one.
Speaker 2: There was another defector and atotally Golitzen provided information which pointed to Philby. An I six officer and friend of Philby from his earlier six Days, Nicholas Elliott was sent in sixty three to interview him in Beirut and reported that Philby seemed to know that he was coming, indicating the presence of yet another mole in six. Nonetheless, Philby confessed to Elliott, so after he had been kicked out, after he's working as a reporter and banging the other reporter's wife and all this shit. I six final was like, hey, wait a minute, you're you're the spy, and like we have another source that is saying this, So what the fuck bro. Shortly after, fearing he might be abducted in Lebanon, Philby defected to the Soviet Union under their cover of night aboard a Soviet freighter. For the first seven years in Moscow, he was under virtual house arrest, since the Soviets were concerned that he might defect back to the West.
Speaker 3: At least they acknowledge that with this guy. According to an article in the New York Times, the same New York Times, who's writer who probably wrote this article, he was hooking up with the wife whatever. He was given no rank nor an office.
Speaker 2: In fact, for the most part, Philby was frozen out and his suggestions ignored.
Speaker 3: This ruined his life.
Speaker 2: After his death, however, Philby was awarded a number of medals by the Soviets.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, so they pretty much said fuck you and all your service and everything that you've done for us, and all the spy stuff and everything, and then after your death, oh.
Speaker 4: Now we'll award you.
Speaker 3: Like he was such a hero.
Speaker 1: It makes zero sense to me why they would do this to him, Like you would think that he would be like a national fucking dreasure at that point.
Speaker 3: You would think, But sayah, Russia, don't give a fuck about nobody, dude, nothing makes sense there, literally nothing makes sense there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, but to be fair though, like if you have a spy, like they are the best at lying and manipula.
Speaker 4: There is to offer pretty much. And so how do you know they're not spying for the West now?
Speaker 1: I mean, clearly the dude was obsessed with you know, the Soviet Union and everything else. But you know, I can see them being distrustful, but to outright ruin his life pretty much?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's so deep. You you've ever seen the show Big Brother? Mm hmm, okay, do you remember that season when a interrogator won it?
Speaker 4: I think maybe I don't.
Speaker 2: So this dude who already knows how to manipulate the human mind and already knows how to gain people's trust, he's an interrogator. I forget if it was for the police or for the Fed or what, but this dude professionally fucks with people's minds to get what he wants out of them. Then he goes for a Big Brother, and then once he won, admitutes to everybody, I've been playing all of you.
Speaker 3: Since day one.
Speaker 2: Likes this was very easy you're so manipulable all of you, like you're like clay, and they were like, we trusted you.
Speaker 3: He's like, I know that. That was the point. All right, cool, I'm gonna take my money now. It was a whole thing. And that was that was low level shit compared to what these guys are doing.
Speaker 1: I mean, for him to get away with, like multiple times being suspected of doing stuff, especially during this timeframe and how suspicious everybody was, and then to have two people directly under you defect and be proven to be spies, it's pretty it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is. And it went on for so long. They gave so many secrets away. And that's that's the other thing. It's not that during the Cold War, it's not.
Speaker 2: The Soviet Union was like actually a competition, like they had no competitive edge over the West, I should say, but they had spies that were able to give them all of this insel the same way that China is doing things right now. How many Chinese spies have been caught in this country and not to I know, he had the bio lab that was caught, We had those names that were bringing in those infected seeds that we're gonna be able to tear apart our agricultural infrastructure, all these things. We have multiple Chinese spies that have been caught in DC and in New York City within the last two years, and that's just there. There's been one that was caught in California. I want to say, there was one that was just apprehended in Texas not too long ago. Like it's they're all over doing the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're working in Canada and coming down according to some of the information, and then you have you know what's his name, the do that did the genetics experiments that got shunned and all this stuff by the who He lives in Texas and he's like he like finally got able to come over here and is doing experimental things. Still he's never stopped. There's a lot of spy network still happening. And this protein's exactly today as it did back then because the spies are just gotten better, but so is the technology. So I mean spying though has been around forever though, I mean spies have always infiltrated kingdoms and different things and gathering intel and whatnot.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Spying is kind of cool in one way to me, because it's like, you got to be really really good at being intelligent, being manipultive, being like really understanding the humans how humans work, and then being extremely confident and like doing all this stuff to be able to do this on one on like a just a standback looking at it like a scientific way. It's kind of fascinating, to be honest. But as a as a person, though, man, you are really fucking shitty. You're really shitty a person. But then we have our own spies though, that are all over the world that are spying for us and trying to gather intel cheap protect Americans if we would like to believe that. But you know, there are still spies that are within our own country that are doing things, so you know, it's one of just those things that happens.
Speaker 2: I guess, oh yeah, for the record, just because we're talking about Soviet spies, and I find that especially egregious because they were trying to further the message of a group that has been responsible for more deaths than anything else in human history. We still have our spies, Like, I'm not mad that they were doing their job I'm mad about the place of which that information was going.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We have tons of spies America, spies all over the place, and it's just this is how this goes. Every nation does, every nation does, Okay, Jeffrey Epstein, once again, he wasn't spying for America. He wasn't spying for Israel, he wasn't spying for euro poll, he wasn't spying for the Russians. He was spying for everyone. He was getting blackmail for everyone. Whoever wanted to pay him for the videos and pictures he had.
Speaker 3: He was fine with it. He was in the money making business and the discussing business of you know, the pedophilia. But yeah, no, he it was whoever would pay him, everybody, I know.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was an Israeli asset for sure, and an American asset, and a Russian asset, and a French asset, and a German asset.
Speaker 3: It's all of them.
Speaker 2: These dudes specifically were working for Russia in Britain and in America, which is it's still mind blowing. It took American Intel Services to pull like the plug on this and be like, hey, Britain, this guy is clearly dirty and Britain still was like, nah, what, that's crazy, even though two of the guys that work under him, like his boys, just defected to Russia and were confirmed spies.
Speaker 3: But like, not him, though, how can he have possibly known?
Speaker 2: They've only worked under him for twenty years and had really close connections with him outside of work, Like, there's no way he could have known.
Speaker 1: Bro, what.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 2: Moving forward here Anthony Blunt, former surveyor of the King's Pictures What a Title and later Queen's Pictures for the Royal Art Collection. He served as an MI five member and supplied secret information to the KGB, while also providing warnings to fellow agents of certain counterintelligence that could potentially endanger them, so he was like their shield almost. In sixty four five received information from the American Michael Whitley Straight or Whitney Strait, pointing that Blunt's espionage and the two had known each other at Cambridge some thirty years before Blunt recruited Straight as a spy and then we talked about that already.
Speaker 3: Straight kind of came forward later on, was like, hey, bro, this is what happened. This is your guy over here.
Speaker 2: Blunt was interrogated by I five and confessed in exchange for immunity from prosecution, as he was by nineteen sixty four without access to classified information. He had secretly been granted immunity by the Attorney General in exchange for revealing everything he knew. Peter Wright, one of Blunt's interrogators, described it in his book SpyCatcher, about how Blunt was evasive and only made admissions grudgingly when confronted.
Speaker 3: With the undeniable. So he wasn't even willing to give up all the information.
Speaker 4: He kind of just tortured it out of him.
Speaker 2: They could have, but somehow they didn't because at that point he still had a knighthood, he was still a part of the.
Speaker 3: Nobility and all the blah blah blah blahs.
Speaker 2: Anyway, in seventy nine, Blunt was publicly accused of being a Soviet agent by the investigative journalist Andrew Boyle in his book Climate of Treason. In November of seventy nine, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher admitted it to the House of Commons that Blunt had confessed to being a Soviet spy fifteen years previously, so they knew about it, and nobody did anything to him. The term five, like the Cambridge five, began to be used in nineteen sixty one when KGB defect Anatolely Gullitzen named MacLean and Burgess as part of a ring of five, with Philby a probable third, alongside with two other agents whom he did not know. Yeah, so anyway we could get into the rest of it here. John Cairncross he was known as a British literary scholar until he was later identified as a Soviet atomic spy. While a civil servant in the Foreign Office, he was recruited in nineteen thirty seven by James Klugman. What a name to become a Soviet spy. He moved to the Treasury in nineteen thirty eight, but transferred once again to the Cabinet Office in nineteen forty, where he served as the private secretary for Sir Sir Morris Hankey the Government Code and Cipher School at Belcher Park, and then in nineteen forty three to six. Following World War Two, it is said that caren Cross leaked information regarding the new NATO alliance to the Soviets, on the base of information provided by glitz him. Speculators raged on for many years as the identity of the Fifth Man, the journalist's popularity of the phrase, oh something to the unrelated novels The Third Man and the Tenth Man, written by Graham Green, who coincidentally worked with Philby and Cancross. During the Second World War, he wrote novels about spycraft. Later he realized, Wait, the guys who are inspiration for some of my books actually turned out to be Soviet spies.
Speaker 3: He didn't even know that when he wrote this.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I'd be like, God, damn it, I was. I mean, I was right the whole time.
Speaker 3: I knew it, like it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Obviously he was picking up on some stuff, but didn't even think to put two and two together, so did not.
Speaker 2: Cam Cross confessed to having been a spy for the Soviets in nineteen sixty four meeting with the Six that was kept secret for some years. He was given immunity from prosecution. The public became aware of his treachery in December of nineteen seventy nine. However, when cam Cross made a public confession to journalists Bear Pinrose, the news was widely publicized, leading many to surmise that it was in fact the fifth man. That was confirmed in a nineteen eighty nine by the KGB Oleg Gordievski who had defected to Britain, so they had a Russian spy defect that he was like, yeah, no, that's absolutely confirmed.
Speaker 3: That was the guy. That was one of the guys anyway.
Speaker 2: His designation as the fifth man also confirmed in a former KGB ag at Uri Moden's published we talked about that the five Cambridge Friends Burgess McLean, Philby Blunt and can Cross. Camcross is not always considered to have been part of during a five though a student at the University of Cambridge, he only he knew only Blunt, who by then was teaching modern languages in nineteen thirty four. When cam Cross arrived at Cambridge, the other three members of the ring had already graduated. That's what I'm saying, Like you have, these three clearly were connected, they all worked together, they all, you know whatever. When it comes to King Cross and Blunt, Blunt was a teacher at the time and he was a relatively older dude than everybody else. They these five weren't connected. But when the story broke, everything broke and that's just why the Moniker became a thing.
Speaker 1: Clearly, there's way more than just the five of them, though at this point, like, come on now, just to think that there's only five and that this has just been to the five of them for two decades. No, no way, not at all, and especially the positions that they held and like how they influenced things or at least the information they were able to gather.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now, so now let's talk about the attempted cover up and why they would have tried to cover up the fact that they had just been caught, like the British intelligence agencies were caught with their pants down, like, oh shit, we're supposed to be the great one of the greatest spy agencies on Earth and we're getting best to buy the Soviets over here.
Speaker 3: Why would they keep that covered up?
Speaker 2: You might ask embarrassment ego, just to name a few, but let's go for unknown reasons. Prime Minister Alec Douglas Holmes was not advised of Anthony Blunt's spying, although the Queen and Home Security Henry Brooke were informed. So the Queen knew about it but did not tell the Prime Minister. Why you might ask. Some would say that it was because it was embarrassing to the royal family, because that's what's most important here. It was only a November of nineteen seventy nine that the Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher formally advised Parliament of blunch, treachery and the immunity deal that had been arranged fifteen years earlier. A twenty fifteen article in The Guardian discussed four hundred top secret documents which had been released at the National Archives and indicated that five and six had worked diligently to prevent information about the five from being disclosed to the British government or I'm sorry to the British public, and even to the US government. A twenty sixteen review of a new book about Burgess added that more than twenty percent of the files related to the spies, most of whom defected more than fifty years ago, remained closed and just a few years ago. In conclusion, the reviews stated that the Foreign Office, six, M I five all have an interest in covering up to protect themselves from huge embarrassment, and that more taxpayer money is spent by Whitehall officials and the feudal attempt to keep files under locking key forever.
Speaker 3: It's insane. They're worried about the way they would look and how the public would no longer trust their government.
Speaker 2: And you look at the way Britain is right now. They have been infiltrated. They've absolutely been infiltrated, and you know, for the whole well, we don't want to be embarrassed.
Speaker 3: We want to make sure our taxpayers still have some sort of a confidence in our government. And then it got taken over it anyway.
Speaker 1: Nobody has any confidence and the government all going over there right now.
Speaker 2: So fine, no, I mean, granted, there's a lot of people that don't have a lot of confidence in the American government too, and like, okay.
Speaker 1: That's fair though, that's I mean, both both of them are pretty shitty right now. But I will say I think the UK is way more struggling than we are.
Speaker 3: Oh by leaps and bounds. Leaps and bounds, all right.
Speaker 2: So under thirty the thirty year rule, the four hundred documents should normally have been available years earlier. It was particularly surprising that twenty percent of the information was redacted or not released. Sounds like something we have going on in America right now. A news item at the time stated that it is clear the full story of the Cambridge spies has not yet emerged. A summary of the documents indicated that they showed an inaction and incompetence on the part of the authorities enabled Guy Burgess and Donald MacLean to make their escape to Moscow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bit. Additional secret files are released to the National Archives in twenty two.
Speaker 2: That's when the news clip that we played in the very beginning of this, that was from twenty twenty when this got released. They indicate that the government had intentionally conducted a campaign to keep Kim Philby's spying confidential quote, to minimize political embarrassment and to prevent the publication of his memoirs, according to a report by The Guardian. Nonetheless, the information was publicized in nineteen sixty seven when the Philby granted an interview with journalist Murray Sale of The Times. Philby confirmed that he had worked for the KGB and that his purpose in life was to destroy imperialism. This revelation raised concerns that Blunt's spying would also be revealed to the public. All right, So that's the over under of the whole Cambridge five and all the things. So now we already talked about the overarching story here.
Speaker 3: This is Kim Philby. I don't know what the fuck that woman was talking about.
Speaker 4: Nope, I don't say it. You know.
Speaker 2: This is Guy Burgess himself, the double agent. This is Don McLean, Donald MacLean, but yeah, they don't have a lot of pictures of him, but this is the guy. Next we go to Anthony Blunt. This is the artist person worked in the Royal Court.
Speaker 4: To be fair, he does look like something that would do that.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. He has villain vibes, don't he.
Speaker 4: He's like, you know what I'm talking about. I creepiness.
Speaker 2: This is John Karen Cross, the guy who was stealing the nuclear secrets and everything.
Speaker 3: And again this is the man, the myth, the legend, Kim Philby, who looks like doesn't he?
Speaker 4: He really does.
Speaker 2: There's no way that you're looking at this dude and be like, oh, super suave, double O seven guy. He looks like your boy living down the street that sells vacuum cleaners or some shit, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. So again let's move forward.
Speaker 2: Here Kim Philby's German moonshine I don't want to read a whole lot of this, but they're well, actually, yeah, we can read this.
Speaker 4: Why not.
Speaker 2: This is an excerpt from the book Philby and SpyCatcher, the book that was written about these things. It says I used this month's report to address an outstanding question regarding Kim Philby and his actions on taking over Section nine of six, namely, was Philby up to? What was Philby up to in Europe in nineteen forty five? During this analysis, I shall be bearing in mind the subsidiary questions, which of the dates and locations of Philby's visits can be verified from other sources, What authority and what mission did Philby carry at those times? What was the strategy of six at the time of these visits, and how did these activities of Section nine relate to military strategy at the end of the war?
Speaker 3: All right, talk about it here.
Speaker 2: Some Kim Philby's travels in Europe in nineteen forty five, described in his memoirs My Silent War, may turn out not to be highly significant, but there are worth inspecting because they occurred at a critical time in the post war evolution of six, which at the time was SIS, and because his account of them contained some implausibilities. The details are not easily verifiable, suggesting some possible deception. And what fascinates me is the fact that Philby's undisciplined account was, so far as I know, not been challenged anywhere, although it has been distorted. This suggests to me either that a no one with any knowledge of the background has paid much attention to the anomalies inherent to this account, or b that it is more convenient to let Philby's fantasies endure, since they obscure some more embarrassing secrets that the authorities probably wanted to remain secret.
Speaker 3: So Philby had only recently.
Speaker 2: In October nineteen forty four, been appointed to the head of Section nine of six, which had been established in March of nineteen forty three. So it was a relatively newer organization, and he was put in charge of a big chunk of it dedicated to Soviet counter espionage and counter intelligence. Philby replaced John Curry, who having been loaned by five to six to lead and built the unit returned five in November of nineteen forty four. Section nine was an outgrowth from the wartime Section five that targeted the Abware and the other Nazi intelligence groups in which Philby had led the Iberian Section Spain. Such resources and skills that drove Section five success were now required for the task of frustrating the Soviet Union's.
Speaker 3: Designs for communism or communists subversion.
Speaker 2: Philby had managed to persuade Valentine Vivian to give him the job in place of the natural candidate, the diligent but deful difficult Felix Cowgill, who had managed very well Section five's operation of special control units in imbedded within the British Army. Calgil had, however, made himself unpopular with five because of his reluctance to share decryptied ultra intelligence, and Philby's skillfully courted his allies Lidwell and White within five to secure the position.
Speaker 3: So a little bit of right place, right time.
Speaker 2: The guy that could have taken the position was not very well liked, okay, And so then this guy Philip comes in and just says the right words, He's got the right marital connections, all the things. Why not, Oh, get I'm a shot. Philby gave a grudging appreciation of Calgil's skills and a report to his Moscow bosses, crediting him with an enormous capacity for work, aided by a prodigious memory, and combative in standing up for his principles, but he had few social graces, was unable to delegate, and failed to or failed at any task of diplomatic negotiation. Thus Calgil's ambitions were quickly snuffed. He returned from a visit to the USA and further journey to Germany in November of nineteen forty four and resigned in a huff when he discovered how he had been stabbed in the back. He's a rage quit. Basically, it is not my intention here to offer a comprehensive analysis of the evolution of Section nine, a difficult enough challenge anyway, given the paucity of sources.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that's supposed to mean.
Speaker 2: Rather, it is my goal to provide an accurate context of Philby's initiatives after he assumed leadership of the Section, thereby shedding light on his moments in nineteen forty five and maybe really revealing more about how he was viewed in six. It was a critical and sensitive time as the war began to wind down in the fresh threat of Soviet expansion in Europe and communists subversion of the democracies was recognized. A gradual shift in resources took place. Yet the assumption evident in the Express plans was that the transition from performing counterintelligence against one to Italian state to building an organization to thwart them the incursions of threats of Soviet Union would be relatively smooth. That was an analysis that at first failed to register. Some significant differences. The strength of Section five had been the successful exploitation of wireless traffic undertaken by German military and intelligence units operating on occupied territory. The enemy forces had been required to use radio instead of secure landlines. A massive investment in message capture by the Radio Secret Service and decipher decryption by the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park of the so called ultra traffic had allowed Section five, in collaboration with five, to build up extensive map of German units, movements, officers and missions, alongside information about their deployment of agents.
Speaker 3: This was supplemented by intelligence.
Speaker 2: Gained from air reconnaissance as well as contributions from citizens of these occupied territories who could provide ancillary information to fill out the inventory, a vital store house of data was captured and maintained that helped the Allied military effort. So the situation with the Soviet Union is very different. First of all, it was still technically an ally and there were factions, especially within the American Office of Strategic Service the OSS which would later become the CIA, and in the Foreign Office who looked forward to cooperating with the Soviet Union after the war. They would have tried to suffocate any plans for expanding Soviet counterintelligence work on the external communist threat had, however, been.
Speaker 3: Sadly neglected during the war. Both in my five and in my six, both of them did this.
Speaker 2: Wireless traffic was still very much a closed book, even though some Soviet messages may have still been collected. Decryption efforts had stopped after Barbarossa in June of nineteen forty one, not until nineteen forty three, when renewed efforts by the exile polls at Boxmoor and a successful project based at Berkeley Street in London under Denniston to decrypt x come common turn communications in Eastern Europe was the process of intelligence gathering resumed. In addition, the Soviet Union was heavily guarded citadel.
Speaker 3: SIS had no agents at all on its territory, and sis's officers and outlying stations were known to the NKVD. They were known. They already knew who the agents were and where they were. For example, when Archie Gibson moved from Turkey to Sofia in September of nineteen forty four, he was expelled a couple weeks later. What SIS officers, apart from Philby, of course, were not aware of, was that details of their complete organization, personnel and mission had been regularly handed over to Moscow. It was not a level playing field.
Speaker 2: They had spies in there in Britain, but apparently Britain didn't have any spies in Moscow that they could use to this advantage, all right, So then My Silent War by Kim Philbey, written in sixty eight. Maby's own account of his travels is elliptical. He starts at the beginning of nineteen forty five, when the Section nine was adequately staffed and housed, the time came for me to visit some of our field stations, and after a paragraph complimenting himself on the way that he repaired the damage, done by Harry Steptoe, Yeah Jesus Christ, with his station commanders universally approving Philby's decisive sacking of the man.
Speaker 3: He offered an assessment of the state of the state of counterintelligence. Our real target was invisible and inaudible. As far as we were concerned, The Soviet Intelligence Service might never have existed. The upshot of our discussions could be little more than a resolution to keep casting flies over the Soviet and East European diplomatic personnel and over members of the local communist parties. During my period of service, there was no single case of a.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, of a consciously conceived operation against so intelligence bearing fruit. We progressed only by means of windfalls that literally threw the stuff into our laps. With one or two exceptions to be noted later. These windfalls took the form of defectors from the Soviet Service. So one wonders whether he presented such bleak outlook to his bosses at the time, because this would have seemed to be, you know, no recipe for success, and he would surely have had to present a more positive and energetic front to justify his expansion plans. He used he went on to describe his sorties. These trips, which covered France, Germany, Italy and Greece, were to some extent educative, since they gave me insight into various types of SIS organizations in the field. But after each journey I concluded without emotion that it would take years to lay an effective basis for work against the Soviet Union. Indeed, he then regaled his laters his readers with a series of anecdotes from that summer, including the wineglass of chilled flit which I drained in Berlin, Okay, under the impression that it was near Steiner, as well memories of Rome, Barry and Larissa in Greece. My insant reaction on rereading this recently was one of disbelief for several reasons. First, the timing is impossible. The implication given that is that Philby visited such stations early in nineteen forty five. For Paris and other liberated cities, that would obviously have been practicable, but for Germany it would have been absurd, since the Nazi surrender did not take place until May seventh.
Speaker 3: And we should remember that Philby was back in London.
Speaker 2: In August of forty five, just before the Gozenko and Volkov evens took place, darring interruptions that disrupted his peace of mind. In any case where the outlying stations and previously occupied Europe reconstituted that quickly, and would it have not been easier for Philby to have been briefed to the station leaders in London anyway, So this guy kind of breaks down some of the more creative liberty claims that Philby makes in his book. And honestly, I can't say with certainty one way or another if these are legitimate or not, specifically because of the nature of the content. It's spycraft. So you're that's like talking to old guy that served in Vietnam. Yeah, when me and my unit got dropped into Laos, we did this and this like, wait, Americans.
Speaker 3: Didn't have forces in Laos, right, we totally didn't.
Speaker 2: You're right, But he knows what he's talking about because we had secret forces that got dropped in Laos and Cambodia. It's like, just because they weren't there doesn't mean they weren't actually there, if that makes sense. So anyway, all right, as we wrap up this episode, I did want to play this clip and it's a really good close out. Shout out to redacted the channel on YouTube the declassified Mysteries here Cambridge five, the spy scandal that broke six. I think this was an excellently done video. It's like thirty minutes long of him. I wants to go watch it, but I also think it's a great way to wrap the episode up.
Speaker 6: Words soon spread about Philby's defection, the betrayal by six's former counterintelligence chief. Since shockwaves through British intelligence. Since Philby, Burgess, and MacLean had all attended Cambridge University, the press dubbed it the Cambridge Spy scandal, but there were more secrets that would take almost two decades to surface. Nearly seventeen years after Philby fled to Russia. On November fifteenth, nineteen seventy nine, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher spoke before the House of Commons. She confirmed what a recent newspaper article had exposed. Anthony Blunt, the Royal family's art curator and a Cambridge alumnus, had been a Soviets spy. Even more shocking, Blunt had confessed this back in nineteen sixty four, in exchange for immunity from prosecution for fifteen years. Many in the government, including the Royal household, had known of his treachery, yet allowed him to keep his prestigious position. The British public was stunned. Not only had Blunt passed sensitive information and names of British agents to the Soviets, potentially getting them killed, but their own government had covered it up to avoid embarrassment, and many wondered what other secrets the government was hiding if they could hide such a profound betrayal that long. In nineteen eighty one, they got an answer. Margaret Thatcher revealed yet another spy, John Cairncross, who was also recruited from Cambridge. From his position at the code breaking center Bletchley Park, he had passed decoded German messages to Moscow, giving the Soviets advanced warning of Nazi military operations. Like Blunt, his role as a double agent had been hidden from the public for fifteen years to avoid embarrassing the government. In the end, consequences caught up with all five Cambridge spies in one form or another. After Kim Philby arrived in Russia, he lived under house arrest for nearly a decade. Distrusted by the very people he'd served for years. Guy Burgess and Don MacLean both died in exile in Russia. Anthony Blunt was stripped of his positions and his knighthood and died three years later. John Cairncross was forced into exile in mainland Europe, but was eventually allowed to return to England before his death in nineteen ninety five. The Cambridge Five scandal permanently shook British society. The revelations spread across decades, exposed not just the stent of Soviet infiltration, but also the government's willingness to hide uncomfortable truths. The British public was left wondering how many lives have been sacrificed to protect the reputation of the establishment.
Speaker 4: I have to agree, honestly, I totally agree.
Speaker 3: What is your thoughts on this raven?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a lot of people have never heard of the Cambridge Five and maybe some of our older cult members that were alive in the eighties, that are adults in the eighties, let me rephrase that to hear this news go out and possibly even alive in the seventies, to hear that Thatcher had said these things, they may remember this. I feel like a lot of people of our generation have never heard of the Cambridge Five and have no idea about the story that goes into this.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of us know the movies, the spy movies, and some of them that are based off of things like this, like Salt, for example, the one with Angeline and how they're embedded, you know, and they've been here for a long long time and all this stuff and they couldn't believe it, and she's a double spy.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of movies that are like this.
Speaker 1: So I think the idea of it is not foreign to those of us that haven't heard about it, but the actual narrative and what really took place in how long they were in play, and all of all the things that they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't I don't believe that a lot of people know about it.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting because it is a part of our history that has led us to this point. And then that poses questions of how many other spies from other nations are here in America versus us over there in their places, and you know, what are they actually infiltrating?
Speaker 4: Are they swaying the media? Are they swing. Are they the ones whispering?
Speaker 1: You know, because I forget who we talked about that infiltrated religion, that group that infiltrated religious groups throughout history.
Speaker 4: No, there's a I forget who we talked to. I'm gonna have to think about it.
Speaker 1: There's a group that probably one of cole members remember, talked to somebody a couple of months ago that I was talking about this specific group a strange brew did. There's a group that infiltrated and he believes is one of the reasons why a lot of the narratives of like hate and distrust has been sewn in different religions.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I think maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, if it's a spy network of some type or an organization of some type that's infiltrating, I mean, like you know, Scientology did it too, so I mean it's not just spies, it's all sorts of people that are doing this kind of spy esque work to change narratives and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you brought up Scientology because we did an episode on Operations Snow White, and you body wants to go back and listen to that. Go for but The short and dirty of it is, the Church of Scientology had tons of members joined the FBI and the CIA rise to the levels of upper echelon people just so they could go in and remove all files and all intelligence done on any members of the church itself.
Speaker 3: And this is exposed. But at that point there was nothing that could be done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this happens.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, it happens, I think with all sorts of things, and so you know, I'm I think it's a good store.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not so story.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good historical information to at least know that this took place and that they were able to operate for that long and continuously still by themselves time and push more information out and some nerdy guy was the only reason why they were able to even catch a code. So you know that, you know, how many other things have taken place that we don't know about and stuff, especially if they're willing to go to such links to cover it up. I mean, fifteen years of not telling nobody about it is quite a long time.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's not like the American government's any better that. Oh no, not an ample would be Operation snow White. That's not publicly known, this public information. Anybody could google this and see the extents, the lengths of people, all the things. The American government hasn't like given a press conference to confirm this, because that's a massive embarrassment.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's the same for any intelligence agency.
Speaker 3: And of course you would have double agents. Right.
Speaker 2: You got somebody who is a high level spy over here, so they're already good at the spycraft.
Speaker 3: I wonder if we could throw a little money their way to make them go this way.
Speaker 2: However, it's different with the Cambridge five because they weren't being paid for their work.
Speaker 4: No, this is just SI ideology, and those are the more dangerous ones.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yes, they were doing this because they were true red. I was gonna say, true blue, no, no, no, true red believers of the communist ideals, and they wanted to see a communist revolution across the world. You're absolutely correct. An ideal is so much harder to get rid of and so much harder to detect. And if you're curious, like, well, how are they able to keep it under wraps? For twenty fucking years? These guys were able to hide the fact that they were actually communists.
Speaker 3: This has been done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for years, it's still being done right now.
Speaker 1: I mean it's look at our look at our government, Like, let's take away everybody else's government. Look at our government right now, yep. And the people that are in play and the things that are in motion and what they're doing. And it's like, so we're not gonna call it for what we what it is, and we're not gonna maybe call it the behavior and some of the radical things that you're discussing and the things that you're saying that is anti American, anti American people, let's be more more specific, anti American people. Yeah, and you're just able to somehow hold a position of power and you're not being held accountable and you're not being investigated and you're not being looked into for having spy connections.
Speaker 4: I mean the Hunter Biden.
Speaker 1: Situation too, look at all of what they did and it's known fact and there's been so many people that have come out, so much evidence that have come out, and nothing happened. And you know, by the way, Hunter trying to fight Trump's kids is a whole thing that's going on right now. I don't know, no, like actually like a cage fight, I will share, I will show you the video.
Speaker 4: I will show you the video for tonight for the live. But yeah, no, it's it's a real thing that's going on.
Speaker 3: But I would pay good money. I mean I would, I would pay good money to watch Eric Trump.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm. I think I think you called that baron. Honestly, I think I forget you call it two of them. Yeah, old boy kid, big old boy that he is like.
Speaker 3: Massive, that dude. If he puts his palls on meteor, it's.
Speaker 4: Like the whole head Like yeah, so my god, that's a side little note.
Speaker 3: But I forgot that.
Speaker 1: I didn't tell you about it. The other day, some one of the colmen, remember, sent it to us and I looked into it. No, it's actually and like multiple cult members sent it to us. But we'll have to talk about it tonight the life. Yeah. But yeah, no, I mean when we're talking about stuff like this, so that it has already been taking place for a long time. I mean, spy has been around though, forever and ever and ever, right, But to not acknowledge that these things are happening though it's it just sews more distrust into the governments and the agencies and stuff. Because it's like, okay, so you're covering up everything. You should be putting these people on.
Speaker 4: Blasts so that we know, you know, at least at least know that this is happening and know what potentially is going to come from it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's what my opinion on it.
Speaker 3: Not agree. But this is why I thought it was interesting to bring this up. A not a lot of people know about it.
Speaker 2: B it is inherently conspiratorial. See, it covers a very wild time in world history, right before World War two, during war World War two, into the Cold War, all these things, and it traverses the key players.
Speaker 1: Here like real shit, And no, twenty ten, the one dude died, right, yeah, yeah, so like what sixteen years ago.
Speaker 4: That's not that long ago.
Speaker 3: So and they're still not releasing twenty sixteen, they still weren't releasing the files to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty they finally released all the documentation to say, hey, guys, we might have fucked up a bit.
Speaker 1: But again, twenty twenty was one of those times when things were being removed from the Internet by mass droves, and then you have other information being dropped, and then people are just kind of ignoring everything that's going on because everyone's just like, oh, fuck my life.
Speaker 3: Not COVID instead of this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, there's a lot, and man, COVID is a whole another thing that's going on right now. Still fighters getting no backing, and it's a whole bunch of stuff. But like, all of this still pertain to what we are doing right now. And then globally it pertains because then we have a lot of governments across the world that are being infiltrated and potentially we could call them.
Speaker 4: By spies or you know, ideologic radicalists.
Speaker 1: So it's it all pertains and it's all still conspiracy quote unquote, even though we can all see the patterns.
Speaker 2: So and I agree with you, and this is why I also find it's so terrifying how our universities operate today and how these college kids are still being indoctrinated with these crazy ideals that don't make sense. Like, no logical person really believes this, No grown up believe well, I should say no normal logical grown up believes that there's more than two genders, right, They don't believe in the amazing amount of rhetoric that's coming out of this. Have you ever looked at these interviews with the people that are at the No Kings protests?
Speaker 4: Yes, I've watched many, many of them.
Speaker 3: They don't actually have and listen. Listen. Whether I agree with the ideology or not. Whatever.
Speaker 2: If you're protesting for something that you are well versed in, you know what the fuck you're talking about, and you want to stand in Unison and make a march happen, Okay, that is your right as an American citizen. Fuck yeah again, I might disagree with you, but okay, none of these people at the No King's protest have like collectively two brain cells to rub together.
Speaker 4: It's my again.
Speaker 1: It goes back to what I was saying earlier, the rhetoric on repeat of what the same language over and over and over again, as the regurgitation of it is what a lot of people that go to different types of protests, but specifically the ones that we've been seeing, a lot of people are saying the same thing over and over. What the media shows them, what the algorithms are showing them, what they heard from their professors that are biased, the textbooks in which that they say this same things over and over again. I mean, I have textbooks here. There's a book here I actually have that was that I was told to read in school. And it is the most propaganda crazy Redderick book that I've ever read in my life. And this was written well passed, like, this was written in the early nineteen ten nineteen twenty area, and then it was adopted and indoctrinated pretty much in the nineteen sixties, and then it's been being quietly pushed into all of these areas and it is very and I'm not going to go into what it actually talks about, because that's a whole other beast, but what it talks about is something that is you see consistently on mainstream media and the leftist conversation and a lot of the division talk and the hatred and all of these things. And it stems from these types of books that made their way into this and that now have been being used for you know, decades pretty much. And now we're to the point where these children are getting the same crap on over and over repeat, and this is going to play into their ideology and how they view the world, and so like, yeah, we don't need cursive, we don't need this we.
Speaker 4: Don't need to learn the independence.
Speaker 1: We don't we don't need this we you know, I believe you know, Trump is the devil in an Antichrist, which I will say some of his posts are definitely pointing towards like ANTICHRISTI vibes. But he is he is a whole beast in and of himself, that is a shit human being that should be held accountable for a lot of things. That being said, though, like we still were not looking at all the key players in this, We're just looking at specific ones instead of all. Every state has our own players, and every state is doing their own things that are all adding to the collective of taking away Americans' rights. So doesn't matter if it's right or left. Both sides are doing this. But the children aren't recognizing that they're being brainwashed and they don't want to wake up.
Speaker 2: So one hundred percent, and to that point, everybody thinks that, you know, Obama was the one that was doing horrible things. Everybody thinks Bush was the one that was doing horrible things. Keep in mind, y'all, the Patriot Act, where the government got permissioned to spy on all of us at any given time for no reason whatsoever was passed under Bush, So that was the right doing this shit. Then you look at the amount of rhetoric and foolishness that was passed under Obama and the clumsy, ham fisted way that they handled any of their intelligence, and the whole thing there, and the social media game and the news and how things are portrayed. So it was a propaganda on the left and a control and spying on the right. We are getting double fisted by our political system right now.
Speaker 3: It does not matter what side of the aisle, what color, which letter designation.
Speaker 2: Well, the size for a low taxes, this size for eut of taxes, You're getting fucked either way. It's not even a hypothetical, that is a mathematical fact at this point. And I would argue it's been that way for a while, but we now know this for a fact and we can cite our sources on it.
Speaker 3: If that makes sense. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: So anyway, and this all ties in with an episode that we did a while back on the Peristorca deception, which is when communist.
Speaker 3: Ideals made their way into America in media.
Speaker 2: Right, this goes into spy versus spy, which we've talked about so many times. This goes into how our government, their government, whoever they might be, whoever you just thought of, correct, them too, are all connected and are all doing this to each other.
Speaker 3: Keep in mind, we have American spies in England right now and in France in our allies. We have spies inside of our allies nation right now. We also have spies in our enemies nations and the same can be said for them. It's all happening all at the same time. And I think this was a good one to bring up.
Speaker 4: Honestly, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: So as we wrap this episode up, good cult members.
Speaker 2: If you would like to get your start and the buying and selling and training of gold and silver bullion, the go to link of the description below to coc silver dot com and get your start today. When you fill out your information, our homeboy Wayne Clark would be the one to reach out to you and get you squared away. Talk to your financial advisor, talk to whoever's handling your retirement portfolio and ask what they think about investing in precious metals. I promise you that they're going to tell you that at least a portion of your retirement portfolio needs to be invested in precious metals and bullion and coinage.
Speaker 3: Best place to get.
Speaker 2: Your start, like I said, would be go to Cocsilver dot com link in the description below. If you are somebody likes to flavor your food with good, healthy, wholesome ingredients that taste amazing, then go check out Flavors Oftheforest dot com link in the description below and use the promo code cult at checkout see ult to get fifteen percent off your order. Get you some bigfoot breath, gets you some bigfoot breadth. Their garlic dust, their spicy garlic variety, ginger variety, horror. There is a Cajun line coming out eventually. I promise you this, Go check it out. I use this consistently. I love this product. I'm not just giving you this because we have a promo code with him. No, No, I'm telling you about this because I truly believe in this product.
Speaker 1: I hear a bit obsessed, a little bit it's so fucking good, A little bit obsessed.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it, And so if you would like to see what the hell I'm always ranting and raving about with this product, go check them out. Flavors of Theforest dot com use the code Cults at checkout for fifteen.
Speaker 3: Percent off your order. All orders over thirty dollars is free shipping to your door. But good cult members, as we wrap this up, we want to hear from you all this spy network, all of the things that were going on for years under the radar, then when it was brought to light, it still got kept under wraps.
Speaker 2: Where do you think the truth and lies start and stop here? Where do you think our government ties into this? What do our British listeners think about this? We want to hear from you, good cult members in the best place to let us know what be too. Please hit the five stars, hit the shares of like sscripes comments, took a post review of shares your friends of Family Shares said, We're here's the deal. The more activity the aurgiase across all of our listening platforms, the more we get promoted to more potential listeners who could that become potential Coat members like christ You fine ladies and.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, why are you gonna go to minimistics?
Speaker 2: Jonathan's of the show and getting the same lover respect over there With the five star views and the positivity in the comments, come check out the Cage and Knight, and come join each of us for our individual Patreon lives that we host every Wednesday night at nine pm Central.
Speaker 3: Links to those are in the description as well. And we thank you for everybody's already gone and done so.
Speaker 2: With all of this being said, this was another beautiful episode of the Coats of Conspiracy. And I'm the Cajun Knights and there's one very important, extremely vital piece of information we need you lett to just as soon as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: No pay of that