Speaker 1: Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle, Thanks for hanging out with us today. Don't forget Dallas Mavericks basketball tonight seven o'clock tip up there in Oklahoma City. You can hear all the action pregame starting at six point thirty with Tyler and then of course we'll have Coop and Demris on the call. Now, this segment is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works. That's the brewery up there in Solina, Texas. Ben and I are partners in and Ben. Last night at the American Airline Center, I was there for you know, calling the game, and it just made me so happy to know that right outside on the plaza. First of all, you can get the big German in the arena, and we have these new big stands now that you can kind of see which is dope. And then after the game, you know, they stop selling beer at the end of the third quarter or whatever. After the game, you can go to chop Shop and keep drinking big German, or walk to the other side of the plaza and go to Hero. I went in there with my wife last night and grabbed a couple of big German cans at heroes. So really cool that if you go to a game, just know that our beer that on own the great Dirk Novitzky, the big German, is properly represented there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I saw Shippy post a picture of one of those big banners out on the plaza. That's really really cool man, huge, Thanks everyone who's out there supporting us. If you see us at the grocery store, put us in your cart, if you see us on tap at a bar, put us in your glass.
Speaker 2: It all helps.
Speaker 1: And what helps us more than anything is when you come to the tap room in Salina and hang out with us at Rollertown and we have this event, like we have a cool stuff going on tonight, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 2: All that. The burn celebration Saturday is huge.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm just saying, I'm already looking forward to next Thursday, so a week from today, and you and Skin are you and kt are doing the music Atomic infernobaumb or something. But yes, it's music trivia and it's going to be one of the coolest nights in the history of the brewery. It's music trivia. Music BEINGO style. We play the music, you get the answers. Right, there's prizes, nineteen beers on tap, Cheddarwheel is serving food that night. It is going to be a blast. Make plans to be there a week from tonight or are atomic music bomb trivia created by Katie And I'm there to support him and also tear him down simultaneously. But right now it's time for this juicys hot.
Speaker 2: Guys, every stay on top in the.
Speaker 1: Boots shovel, all right, I guess even though we seem to over time pay less and less attention to it, the Academy Awards is still the gold standard for film. Yeah, And I think part of the thing that's changed all that is Number one, so many prestigious actors and directors and filmmakers and all that have moved to long form series on the platforms, whether it's HBO or Netflix or Apple or whatever. I've got a nephew that quote unquote works in the business, and so part of everything is, all right, well, what plat form are we going to be on? So it's like it used to be, you know, well, the movie's got to go to the theater, and they still do, but that has all kind of become murky and change because I feel like people spend more time talking about high profile series than they do talking about movies.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard to elicit emotion from a crowd, you know, with two and a half hours, three hours, comparatively to what you can do if you have thirteen episodes one hour episodes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's just and so because of that, I think people grow more and more attached to the long series these days. But kudos to the filmmakers who can really get that job done in two hours. I started watching Fallout last night because Christina recommended it. I'll give me a synopsis. It's based on it. Well, i'll let Christina record.
Speaker 3: She's oh, it's based on a video game.
Speaker 4: And technically it's kind of post apocalyptic world, like you got some people living underground because there was an atomic bomb bomb at some point just destroyed everyone up here on Earth. But there were people underground that survived it. But there are still some people who survived the atomic bomb in a way, like they're called like ghules, ghules and stuff. And there's still like a different type of army going on outside. But anyway, there's a I don't I don't really want to give it away.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a girl. Should I say all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh, well, if you think it's gonna give it away, don't give it all.
Speaker 4: Well, the people that are living underground have no idea what's going on outside, and a few of them end up finding out what's going on outside and they're like whoa, Okay, it's completely different. But it's kind of like the rich people are living underground have no idea. They're safe little community, and then everyone else is stuck outside and they have to deal with what they.
Speaker 3: Have to deal with.
Speaker 2: It's good metaphor great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's some sci fi you know, you it's it's an alternate reality, like if somebody did drop a nuke there was a nuclear war on Earth, like.
Speaker 2: In the sixties, and then what would have happened? Oh gotcha?
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's really really good. But my point is I was thinking about that driving in. I've gotten through like five episodes of it and I love it and I'm like, Okay, this is really cool. But there's no way you could tell that same story and have it have an impact on me in two hours. Mm hmm, yeah it would. I mean, it just has to be edited so differently. In streamline and all those things. I mean, it's it's been done right. Like we have a long history of amazing movies that have moved us, but you do have the ability to do so much more. And I think that's why too, Like a lot of these movies that are, I don't know, high brow and critics fall all over themselves, end up being three hours in their average person going on, I don't want to sit in the theater.
Speaker 2: I want it one hour and a half.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, it's trying to find whatever that sweet spot is. But here are the nominations for Best Picture. And I'll just go ahead and say it for me, I've seen one of them, one of ten.
Speaker 2: Some of these I've never heard of. Have you guys heard of a Nora? No? No?
Speaker 3: And see this is why I agree with Kat there shouldn't be ten.
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever heard of The Brutalist?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, I'm dying to see that, Buch. What is it?
Speaker 1: So? It is a movie about a I don't know if it had to do with the Holocauster was, but it's a European, A brilliant European architect that had to flee Europe, came to America and was working in a coal mine shoveling.
Speaker 2: Oh right, we talked about it. Yeah, and it's Adrian Brody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he kind of made I made the assumption that it was the Holocaust just because you know, I don't know what historical event made other Europeans slee other than.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But he was in a movie that was really lauded and he I think he won an Academy awarder, he's at least nominated. You guys ever see The Pianist, Yes, he was in that, not The Penis Chris, I know. And uh, and it was weird because Roman Polanski made it and it was like, hey, we're gonna let him come back because of the sex charges with a teenager that made him leave the country in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Uh. The only one I have seen that's on this list is a complete on known Uh. That's that is the Bob Dylan movie with t Shallman.
Speaker 3: I still want to see that too. I've heard great things.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: I would recommend it to anybody. Okay, good conclave. I've never heard of it, have y'all? No Dune part two, I haven't seen part one yet I've seen them both, and it's funny.
Speaker 3: I think I saw the second one. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I mean, they it all kind of runs together, right. I didn't think it was as good as the first one, Okay. I thought it was a little weird that, you know, the giant worms that go through the sands, sandworms or whatever, and they just were using them.
Speaker 2: They were driving them around and stuff like, come on, man.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's in the second one where she teaches him how to.
Speaker 1: Drive, well, yeah, because she was barely in the first one.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, well, yeah, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Hold on now again, it must have had an impact on you. It's great, and I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: But I've heard you guys talk about some blonde gal teaching the dragons to do stuff in Game of Thrones. Is that the same or I mean, I haven't seen either one, so this is an outside opinion, uninformed. Yeah, but I think a dragon is more like a horse, and I think a sandworm is more like a roach, So it'd be like training a roach to help do your bidding for you. A sandworm is clearly a giant penis no? Okay, uh okay, here's a movie called Amelia Perez, but you know what, it says Netflix next to it, so I don't know if it I don't know if it went to the theater or not.
Speaker 2: I'm still here. What is that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a documentary about uh, I don't know, uh River.
Speaker 2: Phoenix or something.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, right, I don't know. Uh, here's something that probably has old people in it. It's called Nickel Boys.
Speaker 4: Can nickelback be called that? Like a young kid group called Nickel Boys or the.
Speaker 2: Nickel Boys Nickel and then Wicked. If I see Wicked, I.
Speaker 4: Want to see Wicked still because I love the I love the Broadway.
Speaker 1: And then the substance. Okay, so the substance is the Demi Moore movie, and I I think, you know, the first half of that movie was really well done, like it's worthy of an award, like it's fantastic. After that it goes into such gore, like it sets the Gore record.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, you know, for people that are really into that, they may they may dig that.
Speaker 1: But it got so grossh it was hard to even watch, Like I wanted to throw up. It was like not even good anymore. But her performance it's as good as I've ever seen her in anything, and she she deserves all the awards.
Speaker 2: She was awesome.
Speaker 1: Does she push them together? She's totally nude a lot and she shows it all.
Speaker 4: I want to go back to the Gore. Was it as much as the Boys? Is it that bad?
Speaker 2: Oh? It's worse? Significant can't lee worse than that?
Speaker 1: Like, yes, significantly worse, and just in a different way than that, you know, But it's it's like the message itself is pretty damn good, and the filmmaking is really outside the box.
Speaker 2: But this idea that you know, what women.
Speaker 1: Do to stay beautiful if they're in Hollywood and the pressure they feel that they can't just be themselves they have to keep their body and their face, and it just attacks all that in a really interesting way, and you're like, damn, this will make you think.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, this is just gore trash.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I saw on a snub list they're like, oh my god, Nicole Kidman didn't get nominated for Baby Girl.
Speaker 2: I mean, she had so many orgasms in that.
Speaker 1: I still got to see that, and I was thinking, I mean, I think that that was trying to be a feminist statement about women in the workplace and power, but at one point they're just like I waited her to a dog. Okay, I just want to see those scenes. Yeah, can somebody just send me those scenes. I don't want to see the whole movie. Oh, give me that audio.
Speaker 2: And then I just wanted to do this real selfishly.
Speaker 1: So, uh, the in the best actor category, there's a guy nominated.
Speaker 2: See I lost the damn piece of paper. His name is Coleman. Wait, that's best picture. Where's best actor? Damn it?
Speaker 3: I think us on the first page.
Speaker 2: There's so there is a lot. Oh my god, there's so many.
Speaker 1: Anyways, the movie is called Sing Sing and it's about these guys that are in the prison sing sing and then they start a they started a theater programing there and the guy I think the guy's name is Coleman Duncan or something like that. Anyways, he's nominated for Best Actor. The song from the movie that is featured in the movie called fly Like a Bird, which is our buddy Adrian Quesada and our other buddy fort Worth native, oh Coleman Domingo is the actor, by the way, and Fort Worth native Abraham Alexander. Oh, they have a song called Fly Like a Bird from that movie Sing Sing, one of the five songs nominated for Best Song from a Movie. He's okay, let's go. That's awesome. And dude, Coleman Domingo is great. I watched the show with him called The Madness, and it got off to a great start and then it just kind of fizzled. But it wasn't his fault. He was the leading man. He's really good. Was it about Sean Shereef's assessment of the NCAA Tournament?
Speaker 2: No, remember when we had that dropping out the Madness? The Madness?
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, that's your Academy Award talk. That's gonna do it for us today. God, we didn't even miss KT today except for his brief appearance at the start of the show. Uh, we will be back tomorrow. Thank you Steve Shackleford for handling the weekday update. Don't forget uh Dallas Maverick's basketball tonight. I'll never forget the time on his birthday, KT looked Coleman Domingo dead in his eye and he.
Speaker 2: Said, well, that'll do it for this one. It was short, it was brief, and yet it was powerful. Uh.
Speaker 1: We will see you tomorrow. Maybe Shackleford will be back. Have a great evening, everybody here.
Speaker 2: You going well, I'm gonna get my sock back, dude.
Speaker 3: Thank you, good night.
Speaker 1: Yeah,