Speaker 1: With Robinhood Gold, you don't need a silver spoon to eat up the financial favors of the one percent. Robinhood Gold allows the resourceful individual to earn the very liberal rate of four point five percent ap Y on uninvested cash and be rewarded with a handsome three percent retirement boost on an IRA account. Robinhood Gold provides the privileges of a high net worth for any networth for just five dollars a month. The new gold standard is here. Sign up at robinhood dot com slash gold. Terms apply for product specific disclosures. Visit robhood dot com slash gold and desting in Ball's risk rate may change. Gold membership is off by robin Hood Gold. Else.
Speaker 2: Good morning, good morning, good morning, Welcome welk, Welcome time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. And we have Sherry Smith and with us and usually when Sherry, when you come in, we're talking about bowls, but we're talking about maybe, you know, thinking about making the donation and kind of putting it in the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: Well, you know our wonderful fundraiser we do every years in August. Yeah, all that he goes to do what I'm here to talk about, and that's feeding people every day.
Speaker 2: And you know, there's something that's getting harder and harder to feed people every day with the costs going up. I can't imagine and how that's affecting you, well, you know the recipients.
Speaker 4: It's hard enough if you're feeding a family of four, but can you imagine feeding a family of three hundred or three hundred and fifty.
Speaker 5: You can't even imagine it. But we've got on average.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it's beginning to be an average. You know, we've increased numbers thirty to forty percent over the last year and a half two years. And you know, if you take food prices on top of that, gas prices and all the things that goes along with it, you know, it's it's a tough time. Everybody's feeling it now.
Speaker 2: Even at Agape Mission here in town, which has been around for quite a.
Speaker 4: While, almost twenty five years. Twenty five years in February. I know, it's unbelievable goes.
Speaker 5: By, isn't it quickly?
Speaker 2: But you've gone to you know, rebuild and everything else and everything, but the cause and the mission stays the same.
Speaker 3: We're feeding the hungry, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, there's just more of them, and we're you know, we're seeing people and people are calling to say, what is it that I need to do in order to eat there, because they've never eaten at a mission before, right, And so we are very thankful that we have such a beautiful place to come, a clean, warm.
Speaker 3: And cool depending on the weather outside.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, you know, the Good Lord takes care of us every day, and he brings the food in, he brings the volunteers in. We're always needing volunteers. So if you have a lunch hour, if you're working and you want to come serve once a week or once a month or whatever, the doors are wide open for you to come. Always tell youth groups, you know, they can go on a missions trip and they don't have to raise one penny. They don't have to buy a plane ticket or a bus ticket or.
Speaker 3: Any of that. All they have to do is drive to the west side of Bartlesfield.
Speaker 2: A little sweat equity goes a long way. You've brought some numbers. They're quite astonishing.
Speaker 3: Well it is.
Speaker 4: I just took a quick copy this morning before I left work. You know, I keep saying our numbers keep growing, but they do. In July of this year we served the most we have ever served in one month, even during COVID. Okay, and COVID was our worst time, but July we served six seven and fourteen meals. Last month was our second largest month and we served sixty two ninety one wow. So as you can see, we're extremely busy. And you know, in October, as far as our Food for Kids, we had two thousand, seven hundred and ninety six sacs that went out in October to all the schools in Washington County that we try to make sure that there is no child in that school goes hungry over the weekends.
Speaker 2: I'd sure once again for the folks, you kind of put it out there for them at the name of the program is.
Speaker 3: Food Got a mission Food for Kids program.
Speaker 2: Now they get something to eat over the weekend because these kids aren't going to go to.
Speaker 3: School, well, that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: They may or may not be food to go around at their.
Speaker 3: Home, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: And we do over six hundred, almost six hundred and fifty sacks a week just in that program.
Speaker 3: But then we do.
Speaker 4: We do mores trying to see what our Atlas program. You know, we have one school that takes care of our it's called the Atlas program. And these are not some of them are children that not maybe are going hungry over the weekend. They are, and so we give them it's shelf stable stuff, but we give them enough stuff any day that they're not in school during the school year, they get food to eat and that's breakfast, lunch, and dinner when they're not at school. So no Rizzy does like during spring break, they had I don't know, seventy some sacks or something that went out, you know, because he's kids have to eat over the weekends. And it's not by any means in our Food for Kids program a meal, you know to say a meal, but it's something that is as nutritious as we can possibly do. Eight to fifteen items that they can eat over the weekends to keep them from not going hungry until they get back to school on Monday.
Speaker 3: Deep breakfast wow.
Speaker 4: And so you know, and we do every school in Washington County and we have guys that great guys, a team of guys that goes out and deliver sacks every Thursday, and I don't know what we do. You know, the Lord brings us our volunteers and our money, and you know we turned around and give it right back out to the people that need it.
Speaker 2: No, right now we're in a situation where we could use a little boost here.
Speaker 4: Well, this is the end of the year, you know, this is this is where you give for the year and things are taking care of at our place and you get a text credit or whatever for it. Yeah, so it's a win win situation. But people doesn't know unless you tell them, you know, And we've been doing this for twenty five years, and I can tell you that it's taken more of everybody's money to live, more for gas, more for groceries. You know, our children are grown, but I can't imagine having three and four kids at home and trying to feed them, trying to go to all their stuff. And I'm still going to grandkids stuff. But you know, it costs every time you get in the door to watch a ball game, and that comes out of something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Well, that's exactly right, and so our giving numbers and every no, it's not just us, it's every nonprofit in town. You're our donations are down due to the fact that people it's costing more to live, and when it costs more to live, you don't have that disposable income that you you know, oh, I'd like to give twenty five dollars to a gopy or one hundred dollars or whatever.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 4: And so we're all feeling it, and so we just try to come out here and remind people, Hey, a Gopy's still here. We're still doing more, feeding more people, you know, because people go, oh, well, you know, even after twenty five years, I still have people go, do we really have that many hungry people? I don't have as many anymore because now they see them walking all over town.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't have as many as I used to.
Speaker 4: But you know, we did a survey a couple of years ago, and we've used it at empty bowls. But you know, twenty six percent of the people that we feed every day doesn't even have working utilities. That means they don't have water, they don't have gas, they don't have electric, they.
Speaker 3: Just have a roof over there.
Speaker 4: At eighty four percent of the people that we serve every day make under one thousand dollars a month. Now one thousand dollars doesn't go near what it used to go a few years ago, but it under one thousand dollars a month, and that's SSI or Social Security. Seventy two percent of the people we feed it says that they have no money for food, and they have no food at home and no money to go buy any Fifty six percent said that they wouldn't need.
Speaker 3: If it wasn't for a copy.
Speaker 5: I believe that, you know.
Speaker 4: So we know that we're making a difference every day. We just want to make everybody awhere. We're still here. We're you know. I don't like to hand people for money. I don't like to be held in for money, you know what I'm saying, And so I limit the time that I try to put out there. Yeah, we need money because we always need money. That's a given thing. If it wasn't for God bringing in the donations and God blessing you to be able to give, we couldn't do it. And so we want to be able to tell you you can give all year long, you can give. At the end of the year, your money goes directly into to buy food and feed these people. Because if if a copy wasn't here and in the other crisis agencies that help people through these tough times, we would have lots more crime, lots more problems with businesses and various things than we do now. Oh, I believe that, you know, for our for our little town, we are so blessed to have the nonprofits in our area that we do in churches, because if it wasn't for the churches and the nonprofits, we'd be in trouble.
Speaker 3: Because the world is hurting.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: We see it every day and we do and your numbers bear it out there that times are hard. And if you're doing fine, that's great, you're blessed.
Speaker 3: You're blessed.
Speaker 2: And if you're doing fine enough that you got a little lever, absolutely, let's see if we can't put that to good use, that's right. And a nice donation, you take that off on your taxes.
Speaker 5: If you're concerned about that, some people are.
Speaker 2: Because it comes from the heart, right, But how do we how do we go about setting up donations?
Speaker 4: Okay, we have a website that's called a gape bar Bartlesville dot com. You can go in there, hit the donate button. Give right Online goes through the PayPal, or you can mail us a check to Agape Mission pil box ten eighty five, Bartlesville, and the pel boxes are seven four zero zero five. Bring a check by the mission where at five five five Southwest Casts where the backyard to West Side Community Center, and either of any of those ways, we're happy to accept your donation. We send out thank you cards every month. We tell you how many we fed in that month that your money helped feed, and we thank you for that because that's the that's the way that we survive. And the United Way, of course, you know, we go through the process every year.
Speaker 3: United Way.
Speaker 4: It gives us accountability, sustainability. I'd have to be out here begging a lot more for money if it wasn't for the United Way. And this is their campaign season, you know, and trying to kick off for twenty twenty five. So we encourage any and all giving.
Speaker 2: Very good, very good, and once again you serve upwards to how many a day on that real close well one undred.
Speaker 4: Well, at the end of the month we're three three fifty, the beginning of the month we're two seventy three twenty five. You know, used to be used to be one hundred and twenty five hundred and fifty. You know, it was kind of our average in the old building. But six years ago we moved into our new building and it's just gradually went.
Speaker 5: Up well, and that's to day that's increating and.
Speaker 4: So we can see thee hundred at one time. And in fact, we're planning our Thanksgiving dinner and last year we served four hundred and seventy nine on that Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Wow, so we're planning on five hundred this year.
Speaker 5: Imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course if folks want to volunteer, they can go to the website too.
Speaker 4: Hey, they need to call because we Joyce Cowen as our scheduler and our kitchen coordinator, and so she will look at her list because we have groups that come in weekly and so we don't want to boot them out, you know, even though sometimes they're like, Okay, we can have a rest this week, you know, let the people rest. But yeah, just get a hold of Joyce r iye numbers nine, one, eight, three, three, six, fifty four to ten and we can try to plug you in a time that works for us, works for you, and we would love to have you.
Speaker 2: Cherry Smith one, thank you very much for being here with you, and thank you and everybody at a gape mission for doing God's work.
Speaker 3: God is good, God is great.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, you've been watching and listening to our community connection right here on K one, the one you
Speaker 5: Trust every Friday month