Speaker 1: I wanted to try to build something useful, but I didn't think I would build anything particularly great. You've said, probabilistically it seemed unlikely, but I wouldn't to at least try.
Speaker 2: So you're talking to a room full of people who are all technical engineers, often some of the most eminent AI researchers coming up in the game.
Speaker 3: Okay, I I think we should. I think I like the term engineer better than researcher.
Speaker 1: I suppose that if there's some fundamental algorithmic breakthrough, it's a research Otherwise it's engineering.
Speaker 2: Maybe let's start way back when you were This is a room full of eighteen to twenty five year olds. Excuse younger, because the founder set is younger and younger.
Speaker 4: Can you put yourself back into their shoes?
Speaker 2: When you were eighteen nineteen learning to code, even coming up with a first idea for ZIP too, What was that like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Back in ninety five, I was basically choice of either do Grass studies PhD a Stanford and material science actually working on ultra capacities for potentially use in electric vehicles, essentially trying to solve the range problem for electric vehicles, or try to do something in this thing that most people have never heard of called the Internet. And I talked to my professor, was Bill Nicks in the material science problement, and I said, can I defer for a quarter because this will probably fail and then I'll need to come back to college. And then he said, this is probably the last conversation we'll have, and he was right. But I thought things would most likely failed, not that they would most likely succeed.
Speaker 3: And then in.
Speaker 1: Ninety five I wrote, basically, I think the first or close to the first maps, directions, Internet, white pages and yellow pages on the Internet. I just wrote that personally, and I didn't even use website, but I just read the boot directly because I couldn't afford and I could afford a t one. The original office was on Firman Avenue in Palelto. There was like an ISP on the floor below. I rolled a hole through the floor and just ran a land cable directly to the ISP, and my brother joined me and another co founder of Greg Curry, who passed away. And at the time we couldn't even afford a place to stay, so we just The office was five hunred bucks a months, so we just left in the office and then shouted the YMCA on page mill and al communo and yeah, and I guess we ended up doing a little bit of a useful company was up to in the beginning, and I did build a lot of really really good software technology, but were somewhat captured by the legacy media companies and that night rout or New York Times, the host whatnot were investors and customers and also on the board. So I kept wanting to use software in ways that made no sense. So I wanted to go direct to consumers anyway. As long story dwelling too much on z up too, But I really just wanted to do something useful on the Internet because I had two choices, do I PhD and watch people build the internet or help build the internet in some small way. And I was like, I guess I can always try and fail and then go back to grass Studies and away.
Speaker 3: That ended up being like reasonably successful.
Speaker 1: It sold for like three hundred million dollars, which is a lot at the time these days, that's I think the minimum impulse, but for an AI startup is like a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 1: There's so many freaking unicorns. It's like heard of unicorns at this point is a billion dollar situation.
Speaker 4: There's been inflation since, so quite a bit more money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like could probably buy a burger for a nickel. Not quite, but yeah, there has been a lot of inflation. But at the high level in AI is pretty intense. As you've seen companies that are I don't know, less than a year old getting sometimes a billion dollar, multi billion dollar valuations, which I guess could pan out and probably will pan out in some cases, but it is I wordering to see some of these valuations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think, I'm pretty bullish. I'm pretty bullish, honestly, so.
Speaker 2: I think the people in this room are going to create a lot of the value that a billion people in the world should be using this stuff, and we're not even we're scratching the surface of it. I love the Internet story in that, even back then, you are a lot like the people in this room back then, in that you know, the heads of all the CEOs of all the legacy media companies look to you as the person who understood the Internet, and a lot of the world, the corporate world, like the world out large, that does not understand what's happening with AI, they're going to look to the people in this room for exactly that.
Speaker 4: It sounds like, what are some of the tangible lessons.
Speaker 2: It sounds like one of them is don't give up board control or be careful about have a really good lawyer.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess, well, the first my first thought of the big really the mistake was having too much shareholder and board control from legacy media companies who then necessarily see things through the lens of legacy media, and that they'll make you do things that seems sense full to them but aren't really don't make sense within your technology. I know I should point out that I that I didn't actually first intend to start a company. I try to get a job at Netscape. I SIMI resume to Netscape and Mark Kandrison knows about this, but I don't think you gave us a myristhume. And then nobody responded. And then I tried hanging out in the lobby of Netscape see if I could like bump into someone, but I was like too shy to talk to anyone. So I'm like, man, this is ridiculous. So I'll just write sof for myself and see how it goes. So it wasn't actually from the stand point, if I want to start a company, I just want to be part of building the Internet in some way. And since I couldn't get a job at an area company, I had to start a in area company anyway. The AI will so profoundly change the future, it's difficult to fathom how much. But at the economy is, assuming we don't things don't go awry, and like AI doesn't kill us all in itself, then you'll see ultimately an economy that is not ten times more than the current economy. Ultimately, if we become say or whatever, our future machine descendants, or but mostly machine descendants become like a ship scale to civilization or beyond, we're talking about an economy that is thousands of times, maybe millions of times bigger than the economy today. Yeah, I did feel a bit like when I was in DC taking a lot of flag from getting rid of waste and fraud, which is an interesting side quest as side quests go.
Speaker 4: But I've got to get back to the main quest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i gotta get back to the main quest here, So back to the main quest. But I did feel a little bit like this. It's like fixing the government. It's kind of say, the beach is dirty and there's some needles and vcs and like trash, and you want to clean up the beach. But then there's also this like thousand foot wool of water, which is tsunami of AI. And how much does cleaning the beach really matter if you got a thousand foot tsunami about to hit.
Speaker 3: Not that much.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we're glad you're back on the main quest. It's very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back to the may quest. Building technology, which is what I like doing. It's just so much noise like this. The single noise ratio in politics is terrible.
Speaker 4: I live in San Francisco, so you don't need to tell me twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, DC's I guess it's all politics in DC.
Speaker 1: But the if you're trying to build a rocket or cars, or you're trying to have software that compiles and runs reliably, then you have to be maximally true seeking or your software or your hardware won't work like you can't full like math and physics are rigorous judges. So I'm used to being in a maximally true seeking environment and that's definitely not politics. So I'm good, glad to be back in technology.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm curious going back to the zip to moment, you had hundreds of millions of dollars or you had to exit a worth millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: I got twenty million dollars, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you solved the money problem at least, and you basically took it and you rolled. You kept rolling with X dot Com, which in PayPal and Confinity.
Speaker 3: Yes, I kept the chips on the table.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so not everyone does that.
Speaker 2: A lot of the people in this room will have to make that decision. Actually, what drove you to jump back into the ring?
Speaker 3: O Thay?
Speaker 1: I felt for Up too. We'd both like incredible technology but never really got used. I think, at least from my perspective, we had better technology than say Yahoo or anyone else, but it was constrained by our customers. And so I wanted to do something that where okay, we wouldn't be constrained by our customers, go direct consumer. And that's what ended up being like X dot Com PayPal, essentially X dot Com merging with Confinity, which together created PayPal, and then that actually the sort of PayPal Diespora has it. It might have created more companies then so more companies than probaly any anything in the twenty first century, so many talented people were at the combination of Confinity X dot com. So I just wanted to, like I felt, we got our wings clift somewhat with ZIP two, and it's okay, what if our wings are clipped and we go direct to consumer and that's what PayPal ended up being. But yeah, with I got that twenty million dollar check for my share of ZIP two. At the time, I was living in a house with four housemates, and I had a ten grand in the bank, and then this check arrived in the mail, of all places in the mail, and then now then my bank bounce went from ten to twenty million and ten thousand. Okay, seluck to pay taxes on that at all. But then I ended up putting almost all of that into x dot com and as you said, just keeping almost all the chips on the table.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and then after PayPal was like, I was curious as to.
Speaker 1: Why we had not sent anyone to Mars, and I went on the NASA website to find out when we're sending people tomorrow, and there was no date. I thought, maybe it's just hard to find on the website, but in fact, there was no real plan to send people to Mars. So then I've come to this is such a long story, so I don't want to take up too much time here, but I.
Speaker 4: Think we're all listening with rapt attention.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 1: Actually I was on the long end of Expressway with my friend day O Ressi. We were like housemates in college, and Daa was asking me what I'm what we're gonna do? What am I gonna do after a PayPal and I was like, I don't know. I guess maybe I'd like to do something philanthropic in space, because I didn't think I could actually do anything commotional in space because that seemed like the purview of nations. But I'm curious as to when we're gonna send people to Mars. And that's when I was like, oh, it's not on the website, and I started digging. There's nothing on the NAST website. So then I started digging in and I'm definitely summarizing.
Speaker 3: A lot here.
Speaker 1: But my first idea was to do a philanthropic mission to Mars, Cooled Life to Mars, where would send a small greenhouse with CS and dehydrated nutrient gael Land out our mosque and grow hydrate the jel and then you have this great sort of money shot of green plants on a red background. For the longest time, I by the way, I didn't realize money shot. I think is a porn reference. But anyway, the point is that would be the great shot of green plants on a red background, and to try to inspire a NASA and the public to Santa astronauts to Mars. As I learned more, I came to realize along the way. By the way, I went to Russia in two thousand and one and two thousand and two to buy ICBMs, which is that's an adventure where you go and meet with Russian high command and say I'd like to buy some ICBMs.
Speaker 4: This was to get to space, yeah, as a rocket, not.
Speaker 1: To nuke anyone, but they had to as a result of armstroduction talks. They had to actually destroy a bunch of their big nuclear missiles. So I was like, how about if we take two of those minus the luke added an additional opper stage for Mars.
Speaker 3: But it was trippy.
Speaker 1: Being in Moscow in one of two thousand and one negotiating with the Russian military to buy icvms, like that's crazy, but the kept also raising the price on me, so that so literally it's like the opposite of what a negotiation to do. So I was like, man, these things are getting really expensive. And then I came to realize that actually the problem was not that there was insufficient will to go to Mars, but there was no way to do without breaking the budget, or even breaking the NASA budget. So that's where I decided to start SpaceX's SpaceX to advance rocket technology to the point where we could send people to Mars.
Speaker 3: And that was in two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: So that wasn't But you didn't start out wanting to start a business. You wanted to start just something that was interesting to you that you thought humanity needed, and then as you kat pulling on a string, it just the ball sort of unravels and it turns out this is could be a very profitable business.
Speaker 1: It is now, but it there had been no prior example of really a rocket startup succeeding, but there have been various attempts to do commercial rocket companies, and the whole failed again with SpaceX starting. SpaceX was really from the standpoint of I think there's a less than ten percent chance of being successful, maybe one percent, I don't know. But if a startup doesn't do something to advance rocket technology, it's definitely not coming from the big defense contractors because they just impedance smashed to the government, and the government just wants to do very conventional things. So it's either coming from a startup where it's not happening at all. So like a small chance of success is better than no chance of success, and so that yeah, so SpaceX start that in mid two thousand and two expecting to fail, like I said, probably ninety percent chance of failing. And even like when recruiting people, I didn't try to make out that it would I said, we're probably going to die, but a small.
Speaker 3: Chance we might not die.
Speaker 1: But this is the only way to get people to Mars and advanced the state of the art. And then I ended up being chief engineer of the rocket, not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't hire anyone who was good, So like none of the good sort of chief engineers would join because it's like this is too risky, you were going to die. And so then I ended up being chief engineer of the rocket, and the first three flights did fail, so it's a bit of a learning exercise there, and fourth one fortunately worked. But if the fourth one hadn't worked, I had no money left and that would have been it would have been curtained. So it was a pretty close thing. If the fourth launch of a Falcon not work, it would have been just curtains and we would have just been joined the graveyard of prior rocket startups. So it's like my estimate of success was not far off. We'd just be made it by the skin of our teeth. And Tesla was happening simultaneously, Like two thousand and eight was a rough year because at mid two thousand and eight were called Summer two thousand and eight, the third launch of Spacexit failed, a third failure in a row. The Tesla financing round had failed, and so Telsa was going bankrupt fast. It was just, man, this is a grim. This is going to be a tale of warning of an exercise in hubris.
Speaker 2: Probably throughout that period a lot of people were saying, Elon is a software guy, Why are you working on hardware?
Speaker 4: Why would you yeah, why would he choose to work on this.
Speaker 1: Harp said, so you can look at the because they're still the press of that time is still online. You could just search it. And they kept calling the Internet guy. So Internet Guy aka.
Speaker 3: Fool is attempting to build a rocket company that we got ridiculed quite a lot.
Speaker 1: And it does sound pretty absurd, like internet guy starts rocket company doesn't sound like a recipe for success, frankly, so I didn't hold against them. I was like, yeah, admittedly it does sound improbable, and I agree that it's improbable. But fortunately the fourth launch worked and a NASSA ordered us a contract supply the space station. And I think that was like maybe December twenty second or it was it like right before Christmas. Because even the fourth launch working wasn't enough to succeed, NASA also needed we also needed a big contract to keep us life. So I got that call from like the NASA team and I literally they said, we're rewarding you one of the contracts to re supply the space station. I like literally blurred it out, I love you guys, which is not normally what they hear because it's usually pretty sober. But I was like, man, this is a company saver and then we closed the Tesla financing round on the last hour of the last day that it was possible, which was six pm December twenty fourth, two thousand and eight. We would have bounced payroll two days after Christmas if that round hadn't closed. So that was a nerve racking end of two thousand and eight, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I guess from your PayPal and zip two experience jumping into these hardcore hardware startups, it feels like one of the through lines was being able to find and eventually attract the smartest possible people in those particular fields. What would the people in this room like some of the most of the people here I don't think have even managed a single person yet, they're just starting their careers. What would you tell to the elon who's never had to do that yet.
Speaker 1: I generally think to try to be as useful as possible. It may sound try, but it's so hard to be useful, especially to be useful to a lot of people. Where you say, the area under the cove of total utility is like how much how useful have you been to your fela human beings? Times how many people? It's almost like the physics definition of true work. It's incredibly difficult to do that. And I think if you're aspire to do true work, your probably success is much higher. Don't aspire to glory, aspire to work.
Speaker 2: How can you tell that it's true work? Is it external? Is it like what happens with other people or what the product does for people? Like what is that for you? When you're looking for people come work for you? What's the salient thing that you look for or if they're certain question?
Speaker 1: I guess it's in terms of if you're in product, you just have to say, if this thing is successful, how useful will it be to how many people? And that's what I mean. And then you do you do whatever, whether you're CEO or any role in a startup, you do whatever it takes to succeed, and just always be smash smashing your ego like internalized responsibility like a major failure mode is when ego to ability ratio is double graded than sign one. If you if your ego to ability ratio is it gets too high, then you're going to basically break the feedback loop to reality. And in in a it terms, your your er you'll have you'll break your RL loop so you want you want to don't want to break your art. You want to have a strong r L loop, which means internalizing responsibility and minimizing ego, and you do whatever the task is, no matter whether it's grand or humble. That's like what I actually I prefer the term like engineering as opposed to research. I prefer the term and I don't actually don't want it to call XAI lab.
Speaker 3: I just want to be a company.
Speaker 1: Like It's like, what of the simplest, more straightforward, ideally lowest that ego terms are that those are generally a good way to go. You want you want to just close the loop on reality hard that's a super big deal.
Speaker 2: I think everyone in this room is really looks up to everything you've done around being a paragon of first principles and thinking about the stuff you've done. How do you actually determine your reality because that seems like a pretty big part of it.
Speaker 4: Like other people who have never made.
Speaker 2: Anything, non engineers, sometimes journalists at time who've never done anything like they will criticize you. But then clearly you have another set of people who are builders, who have very high area under the curve, who are in your circle how should people approach that? What has worked for you? And what would you pass on to X to your children? What do you tell them when you're like, you need to make your way in this world? Here's how to construct a reality. It is predictive from first principles.
Speaker 1: The tools of physics are incredibly helpful to understand and make progress in any field. The first principles means just obviously, just means breakings down to the fundamental axiomatic elements that are most likely to be true, and then reason up from there as cosionally as possible, as opposed to reasoning by analysis or metaphor. And then it just simple things like thinking in the limit if you extrapolate, minimize this thing or maximize that thing. Thinking in the limit is very helpful. I use all the tools of physics. They apply to any field. This is like a superpower. Actually, so you can take, say, take an example like rockets. You can say how much should a rocket cost? A typical approach to how to that people would take to how much rocket should cost is they would look historically at what the cost of rockets are and assume that any new rocket must be somewhat similar to the prior cost of rockets. A first principle's approach would be you look at the materials that the rocket is comprised of, so if that's aluminium, copper, combon, fiber, steel, whatever the case may be, and say what what how much does that rocket weigh, and what are the constituent elements and how much do they weigh? What is the material price per kilogram of those constituent elements. In that sense the actual floor on what a rocket can cost. It can asymptotically approach the cost of the row materials and then you realize, oh, actually a rocket, the row materials of a rocket are only maybe one or two percent of the historical cost of a rocket, so the manufacturing must necessarily be very inefficient if the if the row material cost is only one or two percent. However, you have first principles analysis of the potential for the cost for cost optimization of a rocket.
Speaker 3: And that's before you get to reusability.
Speaker 1: To give an AI sort of AI example last year went for x CI when we were trying to build a training supercluster. We went to the various suppliers to ask said, this is the beginning of last year that we needed one hundred thousand, eighth one hundreds to be able to train coherently. And there are estimates for how long it would take to complete that were eighteen to twenty four months, so we need to get that done in six months so then or we won't be competitive. So then if you break that down, what are the things you need? We need a building, you need power, you need cooling. We didn't have enough time to build a building from scratch, so we've had to find existing building. So we found a factory that was no longer in use in Memphis that used to build electrolytes products. But then the input power was fifteen megawats and we needed one hundred and fifteen megawats. We read the generators and had generators on one side of the building, and then we have to have cooling, so we rented about a quarter of the mobile cooling capacity of the US and put the chillers on the other side of the building. But that didn't fully solve the problem because the volta the power variations during training are very big, so you can have power can drop by fifty percent in a hundred most seconds, which the generators can't keep up with. So then we added Tesla megapacks and modified the software in the megapacks to be able to just mooth out the power variation during the training run. And then there were a bunch of networking challenges. Is the networking cables. If you're trying to make one hundred thousand GPUs training coherently of very challenging.
Speaker 2: Almost it sounds almost any of those things you mentioned. I could imagine someone telling you very directly, no, you can't have that, you can't have that power, you can't have this. And it sounds like one of the salient pieces of first principles thinking is actually, let's ask why, let's figure that out, and actually let's challenge the person across the table and they If I don't get an answer that I feel good about, I'm going to not allow that to be.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to let that know to stand. Is that that feels like.
Speaker 2: Something that everyone, if someone were to try to do what you're doing in hardware, seems to uniquely need this. In software, we have lots of fluff things that it's like we can add more CPUs for that, it'll be fine, But in hardware it's just not going to work.
Speaker 3: I think these general principles of first principle thinking apply to software and hardware apply to anything. Really.
Speaker 1: I'm just using a hardware example of how we were told something is impossible. But once we broke it down into the constituent elements of we need a building, we need power, we need cooling, we need we need power smoothing, and then we could solve those constituent elements. But and then we just ran the networking operation to do all the cabling everything in four shifts twenty four to seven, and I was like sleeping the data center and also doing cabling myself, and there were a lot of other issues to solve. Nobody had done a training runt with one hundred thousand, h one hundreds training coherently last year.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe it's been done this year. I don't know. And then we ended up doubling that.
Speaker 1: To two hundred thousand, and so now we've got one hundred and fifty thousand, h one hundred fifty k H two hundreds and thirty k GB two hundreds in the Memphis training cent and we're about to bring one hundred and ten thousand GB two hundreds online at a second data center, also in Memphis.
Speaker 3: Area.
Speaker 2: Is it your view that pre training is still working and larger the scaling laws still hold, and whoever wins this race will have basically the biggest, smartest possible model that you could distill.
Speaker 1: There's other various elements that side competitiveness for large AI is for sure, the talent of the people matter. The scale of the hardware matters, and how well you're able to bring that hardware to bear. So you can't just order a whole bunch of GPUs and they don't. You can't just plug them in, So you've got to get a lot of gps and have them training coherently and stably. Then it's what unique access to data do you have. I guess distribution matters to some degree as well, like how do people get exposed to your AI? Those are those are critical pactores for if it's going to be like a large foundation model as competitive as many have said. I think my friend eliasit Skier said, we would run out of pre training data of human generated Like human generated data, you run out of tokens pretty fast, certainly of high quality tokens, and then you have to do a lot of You need to essentially create synthetic data and be able to accurately judge the synthetic data that you're creating to like, is this real synthetic data? Well, is it an hallucination that doesn't actually mash reality? So achieving grounding and reality is tricky, but we are at the stage where there's more effort put into synthetic data. Right now, we're training Grock three point five, which is a heavy focus on reasoning.
Speaker 2: Going back to your physics point, what I heard for reasoning is that hard science, particularly physics textbooks, are very useful for reasoning, whereas I think researchers have told me that social science is totally useless for reasoning.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's probably true.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's something that's going to be very important in the future is combining deep AI in the data center of Supercluster with robotics. So that's things like the Optimius humanoid robot, and yeah, Optimist is awesome. There's going to be so many humanoid robots and robots of all sizes and shapes. But my prediction is that there will be more humanoid robots by far than all other robots combined by maybe an order of magnitude, like a big difference, and is it true that.
Speaker 4: You we're planning a robot army of.
Speaker 1: The sort, whether we do it or whether the Tesla does it, because it works closely with XAI. You've seen how many humanoid robot startups are there. It's I think Jensen bongs on stage with a lot with a massive number of robots, robots from different companies. I think it was like a dozen different humanoid robots. I guess part of what I've been fighting and maybe what has slowed me down somewhat that I'm a little I don't want to make Terminator real, you know, So I I guess, at least until recent years, dragging my feet on on AI and humanoid robotics, and then I come to realize that realization it's happening.
Speaker 3: Whether I do it or not. So you got really two choices participate.
Speaker 1: You could either be a spectator or a participant, And so I guess I'd rather be a participant than a spectator. So now it's pedal to the metal on humanoid robots and digital superintelligence.
Speaker 2: So I guess there's a third thing that everyone has heard you talk a lot about that I'm really a big fan of becoming a multiplanetary species.
Speaker 4: Where does this fit?
Speaker 2: This is all not just a ten or twenty year thing, maybe one hundred year thing, like it's a multi many generations for humanity kind of thing.
Speaker 4: How do you think about it?
Speaker 2: There's AI obviously, there's embodied robotics, and then there's being a multiplant, multiplanetary species. Does everything feed into that last point or what are you driven by right now for the next ten to twenty one hundred years?
Speaker 1: Jeez, one hundred years, man. I hope civilizations around in one hundred years. If it is around, it's going to look very different from civilization today. Not predict that this going to be at least five times as many humanoid robots as there are humans, maybe ten times. One way to look at the progress of civilization is percentage completion Kardaschev. So if you're in a kars Chef scale one, you've you've honessed all the energy of a planet. Now, in my opinion, we've only honested maybe one or two percent of Earth's energy, So we've got a long way to go to be Kardschev scale one. Then Cardship two you've honest only energy of the Sun, which would be I don't know a billion times more energy than Oath, maybe closer to a trillion, and then Karschev three would be only energy of a galaxy pretty far from that. So we're at the very early stage of the intelligence big bang. I hope we're in terms of being multiplanetary, like I think, I think we'll have enough mass transferred to Mars within like roughly thirty years to make Mars self sustaining such that Mars can continue to grow and prosper even if the resupply shifts from both stuff coming, and that greatly increases the probable lifespan of civilization or consciousness and intelligence, both biological and digital. So that's why I think it's important to become a multiplanet species.
Speaker 3: And I'm so much.
Speaker 1: Troubled by the filmy paradox, like why have we not seen any aliens? And it could be because intelligence is incredibly rare, and maybe we're the only ones in this galaxy, in which case the intelligence of consciousness is just the tiny candle in a vast dokness, and we should do everything possible to ensure the tiny candle does not go out. And being a multiplanet species or making consciousness multiplanetary greatly improves the probable lifespan of civilization, and it's the next step before going to other star systems. Once you at least have two planets, then you've got a forcing function for the improvement of space travel, and that ultimately is what will lead to consciousness expanding to the stars.
Speaker 2: It could be that the Fermi paradox dictates once you get to some level of technology, you destroy yourself.
Speaker 4: How do we see ourselves?
Speaker 2: How do we actually what would you prescribe to a room full of engineers? What can we do to prevent that from happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How do we avoid the great filters? One of the great filtres would obviously be global thom nuclear war, So we should try to avoid that. I guess building benign AI robots that AI that loves humanity, and robots that are helpful. Something that I think is extremely important in building AI is a very rigorous adherence to truth, even if that truth is politically incorrect. My intuition for what could make AI very dangerous is if you force AI to believe things that are not true.
Speaker 2: How do you think about there's this argument for open for safety versus closed for competitive edge. I think the great thing is you have a competitive model. Many other people also have competitive models, and in that sense we're off of. Maybe the worst timeline that I'd be worried about is there's fast takeoff and it's only in one person's hands that might collapse a lot of things, Whereas now we have choice, which is great. How do you think about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do think there will be several deep intelligences, maybe maybe at least five, maybe as much as ten. I'm not sure that there's going to be hundreds, but it's probably close. Like maybe there'll be like ten or something like that, of which maybe four will be in the US so.
Speaker 3: And I don't think it's going.
Speaker 1: To be anyone AI that has run away capability. But yeah, several deep intelligences.
Speaker 2: What will these deep intelligences actually be doing? Will it be scientific research or trying to hack each other?
Speaker 3: Probably old of the above.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they will discover new physics, and I think they're very they're definitely going to invent new technologies. I think we're quite close to digital superintelligence. It may happen this year, and if it doesn't happen this next year, for sure, a digital superintelligence to find as smarter than any human at anything, So.
Speaker 2: How do we direct that to super abundance. We could have robotic labor, we have cheap energy, intelligence on demand. Is that sort of the white pill? Like, where do you sit on the spectrum? And are there tangible things that you would encourage everyone here to be working on to make that white pill actually reality?
Speaker 1: I think it most likely will be a good outcome. I guess I'd agree with Jeff Hinton that maybe it's a ten to twenty percent chance of annihilation, but look on the right side, that's eighty to ninety percent probably of a great outcome. So yeah, I can't emphasize this enough. A rigorous adherence to truth. It is the most important thing for AI safety safety obviously, empathy for humanity and life as we know it.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked about neuralink at all yet, but I'm curious. You're working on closing the input and output gap between humans and genes. How critical is that to AI ASI? And once that link is made, can we not only read but also write?
Speaker 1: The neuralink is not necessary to solve digital superintelligence. That'll happen before neuralink is at scale, But nor neuralink can effectively do is solve the input output bandwidth constraints.
Speaker 3: Especially our output bandwidth is very low. The out the sustained output.
Speaker 1: Of a human over the course of a day is less than one but per second, so there's eighty six four hundred seconds in a day, and it's extremely rare for a human to output more than that number of symbols per day, simainly for several days in a row. So you really within your link interface you can massively increase your output bandwidth and your input band with input being right to you have to do right operations to the brain. We have now five humans who have received the kind of the read input where it's reading signals, and you've got people with als who really have their tetraplegics, but they can now communicate at with a similar bandwidth to a human with a fully functioning body and control their computer and the phone, which is pretty cool. And then I think in the next six to twel months we will be doing our first implants for vision where even if somebody is completely blind, we can write directly to the visual cortex, and we've had that working in monkeys. Actually, I think one of our monkeys now has had a visual implant for three years, and at first it'll be relatively fairly low resolution, but long term you would have very high resolution and be able to see multi spectral wavelengths. You could see an infrared ultra violet radar like a superpower situation, but like at some point the cybernetic implants would not simply be correcting things that went wrong, but augmenting human capabilities dramatically, augmenting intelligence and sensors and bandwidth dramatically. And that's going to happen at some point, but digital superintelligence will happen well before that. At least if we're a neur link, we'll be able to appreciate the AI better.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the limits reagents to all of your efforts across all of these different domains is access to.
Speaker 4: The smartest possible people.
Speaker 2: Yes, simultaneous to that, we have the rocks can talk and reason, and they're maybe one hundred and thirty IQ now, and they're probably going to be super intelligent soon. How do you reconcile those two things. What's going to happen in five ten years? And what should the people in this room do to make sure that they're the ones who are creating instead of maybe below the API line.
Speaker 1: They called it the singularity for a reason, because we don't know what's going to happen in the not that far future. The percentage of intelligence that is human will be quite small. At some point, the collective some of human intelligence will be less than one percent of all intelligence. And if things get to a clot a ship level two, we're talking about human intelligence. Even assuming a significant increase in human population and intelligence augmentation like massive intelligence augmentation where everyone has an IQ of one thousand type of thing. Even in that circumstance, collective human intelligence will be probably one billion that of digital intelligence. Anyway, we're the biological boot bootloader for digital superintelligence.
Speaker 4: I guess just to end off, was I?
Speaker 3: It was like, was I a good bootload?
Speaker 4: Where do we go? How do we go from here?
Speaker 2: All of this is pretty wild sci fi stuff that also could be built by the people in this room. But if you do, you have a closing thought for the smartest technical people of this generation right now? What should they be doing, what should they be working on? What should they be thinking about tonight as they go to dinner?
Speaker 1: As I saw a rope with I think if you're doing something useful, that's great. If you just try to be as useful as possible to your fellow human beings and that then you're doing something good. I keep harping on this, like focus on truthful AI. That's the most important thing for AI safety. Obviously, if anyone's interested in working at xailet mean, please let us know. We're aiming to make GROT the maximumly truth seeking AI, and I think that's a very important thing. Hopefully we can understand the nature of the universe, that's really what AI can hopefully tell us. Maybe AI can maybe tell us where are the aliens, and how did the universe really start?
Speaker 3: How will it end?
Speaker 1: What are the questions that we don't know that we should ask, And are we in a simulation or what level of.
Speaker 3: Similation are we in?
Speaker 2: I think we're going to find out. APC, Elon, thank you so much for joining us. Everyone please give it up for Elon Mott