Speaker 1: One O three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for being with us. We've got a good weekend. It's the JV and Sandy Show. I am Sandy and this is JV. Hello, and Trista's here too. Hi everybody, and the way we go JV.
Speaker 3: Are you in for hockey tonight?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gosh, sorry, that's slip my mind.
Speaker 3: I was traveling.
Speaker 1: I was traveling a bunch, and my daughter got back from Iceland, and then yesterday we took possession of a house she's renting and we're going through all that, so my mind, my mind was elsewhere.
Speaker 2: But yes, okay, cool Texas Stars tonight Game three in the Western Conference Finals at the EGb Center, and I was just like, I've just gotten so into hockey lately, and I just grabbed some tickets. Uh when they advanced, and uh man, we're right down there on the glass.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll be pounding on the glass, flashing people, lifting our shirts.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we're going to be those guys.
Speaker 4: Y'all had to paint some words or something on your chest, on your stomach.
Speaker 1: Hey, we pulled that off in our late twenties at a football game. Do you remember that we were on the ESPN highlights it. It was a long harm game. I don't remember who they were playing, but we had decent seats and it just started flooding. It was like a fountain down the stands, just wow. And it was like up to halfway up your shins and everybody's oh my gosh. Everybody's stuff was washing down to the front and most people went under the stands, and Sandy and I took our shirts off and were screaming for the cameras.
Speaker 2: And I got home and that it was before cell phones. That's how long ago. That wasn't before cell phones before I had one, I think, And my home answering machine was full of college buddies saw me on ESPN, was like, you idiot, We saw we were like in the Sports Center Top ten. Yeah, because they play it over and over and over. We would have been viral on YouTube had it been around. Oh yeah, back back then. Yeah, we were those guys. So I say we do it again without the rain at the ChB Center tonight.
Speaker 3: Just be the loud, obnoxious guys.
Speaker 5: People around you will love that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it would be a lot of fun. Uh So, anyway, that's happening tonight.
Speaker 2: And uh, I'm looking forward to hopefully they'll win tonight and they play again a Wednesday.
Speaker 3: If you want to get out there and check it out at the Hub Center.
Speaker 2: Jybe, you're back from Chicago and you hit any big highlights from there, just all all business, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a conference. I was in and out. It was one of those ones where it's at the airport hotel, and so I didn't see anything. And it was bad weather too, yeah, so it wouldn't have been that great anyway. So I saw the hotel and the restaurant next door. That's it in the airport.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that your your daughter is moving you guys, are she's renting a house.
Speaker 1: She was on Lamar, right, Yeah, she was on an apartment off South Lamar.
Speaker 3: And she's just not love an apartment life. I get it.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, you know, she's twenty three now. I thought she'd like the rooftop pool and the gym and they have a coworking space and lounge and underground parking is gold in Austin, Texas, right, sure, sure, But she's like, nah, it's not my thing, not my thing.
Speaker 3: And so we found a cute.
Speaker 1: Little house just north of thirty fifth Street, east of Mopac. Cute, cute little house, and so yeah, we'll start. Luckily, we have her apartment through the end of the month, so we can slowly move in.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right.
Speaker 1: It's a little costly to do that. I wouldn't recommend it, but uh yeah, we'll get her all moved in. We've got time.
Speaker 3: That's fun for her.
Speaker 1: We literally just just got the keys yesterday. We haven't moved a thing in right on neighborhood though, it is it's yeah, it's near Central Market, the you know, the original Central Market, and there's just that whole like lamar Burnett North lamar burn It is just going through such a change mm hmm everything around there.
Speaker 3: That's as north as she's ever lived, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, she's lived in Westlake and South Austin, Travis Heights and South Lamar.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a little bit further away from you and Aaron as well. It's the only time north of the river for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, because it's I know, I used to when I'd live in Westlake, I'd go, yeah, south of the river.
Speaker 3: Most people don't think of.
Speaker 1: Westlake as South Austin, but I would claim that it was South Austin, right exactly.
Speaker 3: She's never lived north.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing though, that's a that's the thing though for like as her parents, and you want to get you know, you want to be able to go back and forth as needed.
Speaker 3: Right, Crossing the river can be horrific at.
Speaker 5: Times, certain time of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine what it was like before the bridges. What's that I said? Imagine what it was like before the bridges?
Speaker 1: Oh right, Oh, that wasn't I mean, if you see some of the old pictures before they damned it up in nineteen sixty, I think there were places where it was passable, even back when it was wagons. I think it was down near Pleasant Valley. There's still some old wagon trails on the rocks. Yeah, that's where they used to cross because it wasn't damned up.
Speaker 2: Isn't funny? As the older you get, the more interested you are in history. Yeah, I'm waiting for bird watching to become a thing.
Speaker 4: What exactly is the age that you when you're talking to somebody, you tell them what route you took to get there. That's a certain age too, Yeah, or when your streets.
Speaker 2: Your mother does that when they get to her house and you know, you get there, it goes did you did you take mopack to blah blah blah and then go left and it's like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: The route becomes very important that I still it never gets sold on SNL the Californians and they're just spitting out all the highways and they're rout they.
Speaker 3: Took the number.
Speaker 1: Oh right, it is so and they always break character because it's so funny.
Speaker 3: Coming up, Tricia has the story We Love? What do you have?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about a sport that was started in Austin back in two thousand and three and it has now spread to hundreds of cities around the world and Texas is getting ready to host one of the tournaments. Sandy, you have first hand interaction with this particular sport.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: Versus got the Story We Love and just a moment a reminder give us a follow on Instagram. It is at JB Sandy at X and of course the podcast is available every single day.
Speaker 3: I can't be here for a full hour. Just search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app. The Stories We Love.
Speaker 5: Live from the Lester Holt Studios.
Speaker 4: It's Tricia Delicia all.
Speaker 5: Right, Sandy flat track Derby. Do you know what sport I'm talking about when I say that Derby? Roller Derby?
Speaker 4: Yes, the Texas roller Girls. I did not realize that roller derby was still a thing. I remember hearing about it like back in the day. I don't know, fifteen years ago, something like that kind of had a rise and then I haven't heard much since then. But the Texas roller Girls are hosting in June June fourteenth and fifteenth the Junior Roller Derby Association Female Division Playoffs for the first time in Austin.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a big deal. We have our own team. They have four teams underneath them for home teams. I love the names of the teams. The hell Mary's, the Honky Tonk Heartbreakers, the Hot Red Honeys, and the Hustlers. The Hustlers Yep and yep. They are competing again. Austin is hosting it for the very first time. World teams coming in.
Speaker 3: Wow. I should take my daughter to that. I think she could get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, yeah, she she likes pain and suffering. You know, she's she's pretty athletic. I could totally see her getting into this. I think I should take her, you should, that'd be good.
Speaker 2: I remember watching it in the seventies on TV, and I remember too they had this one girl and she had a really big booty and she would go around just bumping people off of the track.
Speaker 5: Isn't that like her job?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 5: That's her job cammeras, Yes.
Speaker 2: And they would whip her around there and that was her move. But I always thought roller derby was kind of like professional wrastling.
Speaker 3: A little bit fixed. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit theatrical.
Speaker 4: Well, if you go to the Texas roller Girls page, they kind of explain what it is and they're like, it's a mix of roller skating, athleticism and theatrics for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely some athleticism going on there. I had some experience with that because my rugby club, the Austin Hunts, we used to do some security for the roller derby and they would pay us to do it, and so we'd go out there and there was never any problems, you know what I mean. We were just kind of there standing around, yeah, watching the Well, there's no.
Speaker 3: There was never any problems because the Huns were there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the giant men were guarding everything.
Speaker 1: That's true through strength, yes, said Ronald Reagan, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly right. But that's cool. It's and they have been at it for a long time. Yeah, with this in Austin. It came to Austin. They said the flat track in two thousand and three. There's also a banked track version of it. Was it too expensive to buy the get the banked one.
Speaker 3: Or you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I guess really really won't pay for a banked one, so they's.
Speaker 2: They used to have men's roller derby too, really not in Austin, but I mean I remember seeing men on TV doing it.
Speaker 5: I've only ever seen it or heard about it with women.
Speaker 4: We actually knew somebody who was on Cindy.
Speaker 3: Yes, Cindy, she was on the team. It's funny.
Speaker 1: I went to a banked track roller derby way back, like probably the early early nineties to see Joe Eely play. He played in the middle of the track or like a break Joe Eely or afterward or something.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I went with someone who you know, Sandy, Wait, this is before probably when you and I first met, but a guy named Jimmy Steele.
Speaker 3: He's a mutual friend. Jimmy lives in New bron Fules.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, he's a radio program legendary radio programmer. He's a big fan of Joe E Lee. Like, we went to that show together at a roller Derby.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he was dating the roller Derby girls and that's how Joe E Lee ended up there. That's funny, right, isn't that random? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's super random.
Speaker 3: I want to go when is? When is one of these playoff games?
Speaker 4: The playoff games are June fourteenth and fifteenth at the Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex. You can buy tickets at at the Texas Roller Girls page website.
Speaker 2: You don't I always remember about ticket Like when our daughter was younger, she'd go go roller skating and or have a skate party or something like that. Dude, I don't know, Jimmy, how long it's been since you've been in a roller rink. But it is still wildly popular. It's still popular and adults there are like forty something year old dudes out there just doing their thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, skate.
Speaker 1: My daughter has a pair of roller skates, like not rollerblades, roller skates and yeah, don't go do it every day now and it's still fun.
Speaker 4: But you know what the new thing is now you don't listen to the music that they're playing.
Speaker 5: You wear.
Speaker 4: They're wearing their own headphones and playing their own music. That's weird.
Speaker 2: But there's a group of guys. I remember seeing like three or four of them, and they had this whole routine. Yeah, they did around the floor. It was kind of very like Soul Train kind of you know what I mean, smooth yeah and sleek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was cool.
Speaker 2: And then the one over off of off of one to eighty three skate Land.
Speaker 3: They're expanding.
Speaker 4: They're expanding into the old antique mall right, and I think they're adding maybe Bowling Alley into that section two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All I can say is that I was so relieved when our daughter was old enough to figure out how to stop herself not using the half high concrete wall. Yeah, that's how. That was the way she would figure out to stop herself. She flipped over it a couple of times. Yeah, I was like, you've got to use your stop, run your.
Speaker 3: I thought she's going to go through it. I thought she was going on.
Speaker 5: I thought she had carnal injuries.
Speaker 3: One time, right, Well, that's fun. Get out and support that, otherwise it'll go away and then Austin Nights'll be all been out of state because the Austin Roller girls went away.
Speaker 4: And what's their team name, the Texas roller They have four teams, they have like four different teams that they work in her one of my favorite names, the Texecutioners.
Speaker 2: Their team to be feared, right, definitely fear of that, right, that's the story.
Speaker 3: We love.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more coming up on Austin Davies Station one O three point one. Our daughter celebrated her sixteenth birthday on Friday, had a party on Saturday. And what they did was we rented a limousine and her and ten of her friends got in the limousine and drove to BUCkies in bass Drop yep.
Speaker 4: Piled out of BUCkies, shopped and limo back home.
Speaker 3: So awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had a big, big time. I mean they they loved it. They had a little karaoke machine that they brought with them into the limousine.
Speaker 1: Limo, so the whole most of the party was just cruising in a limo and playing music.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that so great. You could hear them singing from the car. We followed them at Landry was like, why aren't you guys going? And we're like what, So any we followed uh out there to BUCkies and so we got some video and stuff of them getting out of the limo at BUCkies, which was really funny. And then they had like forty five minutes in an hour inside of BUCkies and they shot OpEd and we gave each kid ten bucks to buy Landry a gag gift in BUCkies. And it's pretty funny some of the stuff you can get for ten bucks at buckets. Yeah, but we went in and I got I thought of you, actually, JB. You told us that you and Aaron loved those brisket sandwiches.
Speaker 3: And I was so stressed.
Speaker 2: Out because they've got the single decker one and they got the X X L size at BUCkies.
Speaker 4: And one was too small and one, Sandy's word, was too big. Yeah, I was freaking out that it wasn't stress I ended.
Speaker 3: Up getting the small one.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so we went out and sat in the car and ate our chop our slice beef sandwiches and and I got a bag of those I can't.
Speaker 3: Pretty good sandwiches. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I can't help myself, but I love those pecan prailing pecans that they have there, so I got a bag of those and a doctor pepper.
Speaker 3: I mean, the wheels just came off my healthy eating just right. But boy, did we see a scene the parking.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: We're sitting in the car eating, looking around, and you know that I have eight hundred gas pumps at the BUCkies. Out of nowhere, this little red, little sporty sedan came zipping through. I mean there's hundreds of people in cars walking around in this in this parking lot, zips right in front of us and and really quickly pulls in. This little guy gets out, puts his gas in, starts at pumping, and then walks very angrily. Yeah, he's this short little guy wearing shorts and socks pulled up to his knees, kind of sway backed and pot belly. But he was really young, like too young to have a sway back pot belly. It's very strange, like he's very He marches across two bays of gas pumps and confronts this older man and they kind of get into it, back and forth with each other. I think he was accusing the older man of stealing his gas pump. Meanwhile, again, there's eighth enough right right, But this was the kind of guy that you could just tell by his whole attitude. He wanted to make sure this man knew exactly what his opinion was of what he thought happened. I mean, I for sure Sandy got his phone out and started videoing. Yeah, I thought they were gonna.
Speaker 3: Go at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My Bundy was on the old man too.
Speaker 5: I know, I was like, I don't know what happened here, but I side with the older man.
Speaker 3: The older man was just like, have a nice day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this little guy, annoying guy marches back to his car, labb into the guy in his car about what's going on, finishes pumping his gas, and I mean, we're right there, right in front of him, parked in a spot.
Speaker 5: We're behind him, I mean, we're behind it, but he's right in front of us.
Speaker 4: He backs out and zips across, almost hits the front of my car, crossing over like where normally cars would be parked. He's not driving in the like driving lane of a Bucky's. Again, there's so many people around and right when he crossed in front of in my car. I just laid on the horn, laid on the horn. He drove a little bit farther and then stopped, and for one split second, I was like, he's getting ready to back up and come over here. Now, let me let everybody know, people who don't know, Sandy is six foot one, giant, broad shouldered, bald headed guy. Normally, in situations that I think there might be some sort of interaction, I'm all, easy, big fella, I'm hoping people don't walk over to him. But in this case, because that guy was so annoying just watching him, I was like, please let him back up, Please let him come over here, and let me see the look on his face when Sandy unfolds himself out of my car after he.
Speaker 3: Had went over there.
Speaker 1: Let me add to Sandy's description picture arms like Popeye, yeah, and hands he's wearing catchers mits those are his hands.
Speaker 5: Bald guy.
Speaker 4: Oh that I would have given anything for that little annoying worp to come back over to the car, because normally I'm all holding Sandy bag. I'd have been like, go get him, go get a big fella.
Speaker 2: Something kind of similar happened that summer that I spent in South Dakota. I was with my buddy Marlin, and there was this guy in a in a little what a little tiny side by side, you know, and he was going really slow in a neighborhood and we passed him and then he and he was shooting the finger at us and doing all kinds of stuff. And then he pulls up right behind us where we parked at the golf course.
Speaker 3: And side by side is like an off road vehicle.
Speaker 2: Right right right, and they're street legal in that part of South Dakota, and so he's all bowing up and stuff and I'll never forget. We get out of the car and we start walking back to the to talk to this guy, and my friend Marlin says, well.
Speaker 3: Now, let you know what you're dealing with. You got something to say.
Speaker 5: That is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, that's pretty quick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh no, no, it's all good.
Speaker 3: It's all good, it's all good. Oh.
Speaker 5: I told Sandy that little torp in the parking lot. I was like, somebody is going to punch that guy in the face.
Speaker 2: That's a guy that's never been punched in the face, right, you know what I mean, He's a guy that's never ever been just laid out flat, never.
Speaker 1: Gone through life being lippy and getting away with it exauly.
Speaker 5: I didn't just think that he was way more important.
Speaker 4: I mean, you would not believe how fast he was driving in the BUCkies parking lot, people walking around cars everywhere.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: There's probably more and more of that with adults now because it's so.
Speaker 3: Unacceptable to have schoolyard.
Speaker 1: Fights, yeah, which were the norm in the seventies, when you just sort it out on the playground or whatever at home out front.
Speaker 3: No, it's not acceptable.
Speaker 1: You'll end up in a lawsuit from another family if your kids start to fight.
Speaker 3: It's just so weird. That's I mean that that was a part of growing up, is learning.
Speaker 1: How to behave that way exactly because the consequences can sluck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my a friend of mine, his son got in a fight at school and got punched right in the nose.
Speaker 3: And he came home.
Speaker 2: His dad's a retired marine, and he goes, all right, he goes, so he got punched the nose. He goes, what'd you learn And he's like, uh, he goes that you can take a punch in the nose and not buy You're gonna be okay, it's gonna be all right, he covers, better learn to move a little quicker next time.
Speaker 3: So, but I think you're right. I mean, Jimmy, you have a great point that there's just a I don't know, there's something to be said as a young person for getting in a fight because it prevents you from getting in fights when you're older.
Speaker 4: Right, it teaches you, like red flag, don't mess with this person, or this is not my figure out how to sort something out?
Speaker 5: Like yeah, it just it's just like the nature.
Speaker 3: And don't you.
Speaker 2: Especially with road rage incidents. I mean, I'm kind of bet and here in Austin, Texas, Central Texas, I'm saying about ninety percent of the cars have guns in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot, although I have one quite often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, so do I and don't want to use it. No, not at all. But I mean there's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: That guy could have easily gotten really scared at the BUCkies the older gentleman and reached into his truck and.
Speaker 3: Shot that guy, right if he felt threatened. Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 5: He what I was impressed with.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying he was an old man, he was an older man than this little twarp guy. But when he saw the guy marching over to him, that man stopped trumping his gas and stepped up, like started walking towards the twerp and stepped up to him and did not back down. And I think that startled him a little bit. Yeah, it kind of stopped him in his tracks. But man, he was flapping his gums.
Speaker 3: In loans moments. If you just take a second, shut up, take a breath, pause, and then let it go. Just move on, right, I can't go got hurt.
Speaker 4: You could have and again, eight hundred other park places to pump gas in that parking lot. It's not like he was waiting for the one that got stolen.
Speaker 3: On a side note, why didn't we think of BUCkies? Oh? Invented because they cost millions to build? Yeah that's true even if that was the idea. But they pay it off in a day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was fifty three thousand square feet.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would love to how much money they generate in a day?
Speaker 3: Like what's there? Gosh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like what at the end of the day when they close out all the registers, how much.
Speaker 5: Is Yeah, what's the number?
Speaker 3: You know? What's great about BUCkies is they're always really well staffed. You have you never have to wait.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, I just found it. At twenty twenty two, study revealed that during peak travel periods, a single buckets could generate half a million dollars a day.
Speaker 3: Oh my.
Speaker 2: And let's say they're operating on a thirty percent margin profit.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, and that includes gas the half a million, and the margins are short on that. That's probably right, that's probably a break even at maybe a tiny margin. But they just want you. You're gonna come in the store for a minimum of thirty minutes, right.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe I got in and out of there for twenty bucks.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I spent twenty two.
Speaker 3: I don't know how. Then you went right to what you wanted and you left exactly.
Speaker 1: It's otherwise. You know, you're buying swim trunks, pajamas and.
Speaker 2: Chairs, barbecue barbecue pits. Yeah, I mean you've got to all loaded.
Speaker 5: Up at the buckets onesis and you name it.
Speaker 2: They're going nationwide too, Yeah, they're they're in several states now, Yeah, a huge, huge, huge, it's the j great.
Speaker 3: Thing out of Texas.
Speaker 1: Another great well, you're welcome, You're you're welcome, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. People