Speaker 1: What's happening Billy crapping in? Welcome back to the regular You can't keep doing that. Welcome back to the Firescape Cast. This is episode one hundred and seventeen. I'm Mike Maharty here as always with Daniel Reikert.
Speaker 2: Was one seventeen The Halo Guy. The spark spark was that it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Master Chief Spartan one one seven.
Speaker 2: Guilty spark was guilty Sparks who I'm thinking of?
Speaker 1: That was the monitor from You Meet in the Swamp episode. Uh. The Guilty three four three Guilty Spark was the episode where you go into the You Meet the Flood for the first time. That's right, this is too early to talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Mary's being quiet. Mary.
Speaker 1: This is a comedy podcast. This isn't about video games. Uh. We're not here with Mary. She's gallivanting around Japan, knocking down restaurant walls, probably desecrating temples we brought in. Uh. Jesse Vittelli, explain yourself?
Speaker 2: Who are you? Explain yours?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm Jesse Vitelli. I'm an associate editor at restart Run. I'd like to play video games. I review him, I run social media. I do I do a lot of things. Honestly. I usually get a lot of random discord messages from Dan that's like, we're gonna throw you in an almost suit, and then we're gonna like make you We're gonna throw you into a volcano.
Speaker 1: We're gonna put you behind a wall. We're gonna do.
Speaker 3: All these things. And I'm the guy that just goes, yeah, sure, that sounds great.
Speaker 1: Cut behind the walls. It's like the intro to Sakario and you're threatening him as a cartel may.
Speaker 2: I was thinking more of a cask of a Montalado situation of a literary man.
Speaker 1: That's not the pronunciation.
Speaker 3: I got great wine. Just go behind this wall. We're gonna brick you up. It's fine, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: It's funny because like I like to pull that reference out as a joke of like, wow, Dan knows the literary thing. But then I accidentally still sound stupid in my smart guy reference because everyone always says I say it wrong. Is it a Monteado correct? Yes, a Mantiado type of sherry. Do you want to talk about sherry for a bout? I could talk about Jesse Shery, Jesse. You've only met Mike briefly, but you know we've we've as longtime friends of Mike have learned to sidestep anything that could go into wine territory.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you do.
Speaker 2: Sherry was wine.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you knew sherry is wine. Though that's nice. Not everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that. I didn't say I knew that.
Speaker 1: You just said you try to side stuff anytime he talks about wine, So you knew him anex you know. Oh yeah, no, Sherry's kind of wine. But I won't get into that unless you want me to. It's okay.
Speaker 3: My neighbor downstairs is a somalier, and so like Chris right now, we could bring him up.
Speaker 1: Chris, where does he work? I have no idea. I know that he's a somalier. It'd be funny if it was Chris, who I work with on the weekends. Speaking of which, really quick, I'm gonna plug it up top because I'm excited about it. October twentieth I mentioned last time it is fully concrete. Now I'm hosting a smash Bros. Tournament, thirty two person tournament, three stock. It's smash Bro's ultimate it's not full esports rules, but it's three stock. We're going to be playing at La Company Center Street, best wine bar in New York City. It's where I work on the weekends as a hobby. I will be hosting it and where some fire Escape march there. If you go to our patreon, I have links to sign up for the tournament. Spots are filling up, but you can either sign up for the tournament or sign up. Just make a reservation through rezi if you want to come hang out, it's a you know, we'll have some snacks, we'll have good wine, be hanging out there in Soho for the night. I'm excited imagined.
Speaker 2: Would they host a if we ever did another New York City fire Escape meetup? Would they be willing to have a full group of fire escape yahoos in the place?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so. I can't, like, say, with the utmost certainty, but we can always just go there and hang out. It depends on how much how many people? How many people do we have at the Churchill one, and I would.
Speaker 2: Guess about fifty. I think that sounds that right, sounds it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You made me drink catnip m hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesse before the meetup, was this even apropos of anything, or that it could be funny.
Speaker 1: We were going to get breakfast or something that morning, and we walked by that pet shop that my wife and I like, and you said it be you wondered if eating catnip would get a human high. Yes, and then you said Mike could be a guinea pig for it. And then you secretly all bought catnip that you then put in a like a high ball of whiskey later that night and had me drink it. Yes, you take although I didn't get really weirded out after because you told me before I drank it, you're like, no, I researched it thoroughly, You're not going to be high. And then I drank it like I actually didn't read about it at all. So then all of a sudden, I was, yeah, it seems was trusting him. No, it's fine. My stomach was a bit off though, because I drank like it was like drinking floating fish food in a glass of whiskey.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 1: No, it was fine, though, But yeah, I know, like fifty something people people came in from Connecticut, Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania. It was very fun. So October twenty at the Company Center Street, I'll be there. But yeah, we were talking about oh yeah wine smash Uh. Mary's off in Tokyo, or at least she's still in Japan. She went to TGS. You both have you have either of you done a DAN You've done a TGS.
Speaker 2: Did one TGS event in Japan four times?
Speaker 3: Yeah, down Japan, Japan zero times, Okay, which feels weird in this line of work.
Speaker 1: I feel like at some point I should have been in Japan.
Speaker 2: It was like so much more like first of that like travel type stuff I feel like happened way more back then. I mean it happens now, but it's always like an event in LA and event in New York. They're always just kind of the same events at like an event space or on the twentieth floor of a hotel in Manhattan or something. You guys missed the Heyday. I mean, Mike, you got a little taste of it from your game in former time. You didn't travel, but you missed a lot of I got like.
Speaker 1: A solid two years to travel. And also Jake and I j for what it's worth, just left New York Monday. He was here all weekend.
Speaker 2: I can oh. I mean, like, gee, a Game Informer, you weren't you were an intro. Oh I see, I thought you're talking about you did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, No, I didn't travel it all for Game Former, but I definitely I think I mentioned on a couple of episodes ago my first cover story I had joined for was Lego Marvel and I that would have been England T T games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, travelers, I get those mixed up.
Speaker 1: But no, I never traveled for a game Former, but I definitely did for a game Spot a little bit, and twice for Osaka.
Speaker 2: That was the thing too, is like there were more like dedicated maybe this was just a Game Informer thing, but like since they did the cover stories every month, it was like, okay, it's just Game Informer going out, so it's like you and a couple of colleagues, you know, going meeting with the team and everything. Now, I feel like when travel stuff does happen, it's usually like these bigger press events like I did that Metal Your Solid one in New York, the Destranding one in Japan, where was just like okay, it's like a cattle call, like the thirty forty different journalists and stuff like that, so it's just different now.
Speaker 3: I think there's also and living in New York, a lot of them happen here. So I don't go anywhere because it's like, yeah, I just get on a three dollars subway and go uptown.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: Uh, Pokemon recently just did one where they flew a bunch of people out to France and they played Pokemon in the Eiffel Tower. Meanwhile, I'm getting shipped on by a pigeon on my way to some random penthouse in Manhattan to play Pokemon for an hour, and I'm like, I couldn't you couldn't take me, send me to France.
Speaker 2: Was at the glass House in Chelsea.
Speaker 3: No, it was some like random like warehouse penthouse type deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know they do a lot of stuff at the Glasshouse. I just I say that as this as if it's this like Macca. I've been only a few times, and I it's not my favorite, but yeah, no, I Uh. Jake Decker was at the Paris thing as well, and he always every time he's in Paris, which is weirdly often compared like especially, he'll message me like, hey, have you seen this? And then he'll take a photo of the Eiffel Tower and messes me it's my favorite bit.
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, yeah, good bit. Jesse did travel to Minneapolis recently. I hung out with him here, and I did. I took him to the Vegas Lounge with Mike. You you ever heard of Vegas Lounge? Yep?
Speaker 1: I showed him very quickly about that place.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's there's no way yeah, spring Street tavern. Yeah, we walked from Spring Street Tavern to Vegas Lounge. I showed them the spot on the sidewalk where you ate shit and got a bunch of gravel stuck in your knee.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then yeah, full Vegas Lounge night with everything that goes along with that. And I'm glad that place, uh still got it. I'm not there nearly as much these days now that I don't live across the street and I'm not twenty five anymore. But uh pussy, yeah, yeah, you're right, that's what Jesse kept saying.
Speaker 1: That place rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: You we did put you in a trunk and drive you over there, so like you did get a little taste of the youth, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I rode in the trunk. I do always prefer like I like riding in the trunk on a bar night. That was my go to in college. Was just like everyone said, Oh, we're gonna pitt eyone the car. Its like, noh, get in the trunk. It's like I have like anti claustrophobia, I think where it's just like oh yeah, I'm just I feel like cozy and nights I take it like a little nap almost in there. You know, you can kind of just hear like muffled voices having a conversation in the front and you're just kind of rattling around back there.
Speaker 1: It's like a sedan trunk or like a hatchback like an suv.
Speaker 2: Uh is this today? I'm just like a normal car fully.
Speaker 1: Enclosed, as opposed to like, oh, yeah you black pitch I'm were with, Yeah, I've done that a few times.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: But I do often sit in the trunk or I used to sit in the trunk for with like in a jeep or oh that's or something. I wish we still had station wagons with the leather benches in the back facing backward.
Speaker 2: There was a new game there between the door and the bar. It's a bonus hole. Is the new game they have there? Played it, Jesse. I think we just stood around the bonus.
Speaker 1: Hole just kind of pointed and laughed at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I took pictures of the bonus hole. This is one of those bullshit coin. It's like that rat coin game that's coming out, you know where it's like you put a quarter in there and you hope untold riches spill into your lap, and it never does.
Speaker 3: I learned about poll tabs. That was a big one. I learned how to gamble yes. And the old woman smoking a cigarette and yeah, I handed her twenty dollars in singles.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a good Vegas lounge night. You'd like learn every vice in a ten minute stretch and like you realize what your true like weakness is. Well, yeah, a.
Speaker 3: Meat raffle would have got me, but there was no meat raffle that night.
Speaker 2: That's in the mornings on the weekends. Yeah, as Jesse was doing the poll tabs, that's when we had our first taste of there was that woman in the back porch that was just being real weird. I remember she was hovering over your shoulder during the poll tabs, and then what happened. She was like hitting on every guy at the bar, and then as we were waiting for our like uber afterwards in the parking lot, she was like, Oh, my husband's gonna be upset about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so here's.
Speaker 1: Don't short dudle, don't do it. Maybe this this this.
Speaker 3: Girl was like kind of hovering around us, and we were like engaging in conversation, trying to bring her and her friend into the group because we were a big group of people. And then she gave me money to go get poll tabs because she learned that I had never done pole tabs before. And then only one of the like ten that I got was like a five dollars winner or something, and I gave it to her and I was like, oh, this was partially your money.
Speaker 1: Here, you take it. Go get your money.
Speaker 3: And then they disappeared, and I was like, I think this was the girl just trying to get people to get poll tabs, like I think we just got got would.
Speaker 2: Can you explain pole tabs for the non Minnesotans out there.
Speaker 3: It's a square piece of cardboard that you just you you buy them for like a doubt. The woman was like pick a number and a color and then put her hand in a box like a like dune and then just handed me like a just a bunch of cardboard things and then you just like rip off the cardboard and then it's kind of like a slot machine. And it's like you're like you're like looking for matches, I think is.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: Slot machine. It's like cymbals and cherries and bells and stuff, and it's it's like a scratch cracticket needs a slot machine. Basically when you scord of.
Speaker 3: Whole tabs, I thought you were talking about scratch offs.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was very different. I thought you're saying the Vegas Lounge had old school beer cans that were pull tabs. Still, oh wait, what poll tabs are? No, they sound like scratch offs though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's but it's weird because it's like I think it's a legal thing where they can't just sell it at the bar because most like dive bars you go to in Minneapolis, they'll have the people work in the bar and then they will have like a dedicated poll tabs employee, and like Jesse said, usually an older lady that has smoked eight million cigarettes. And then you just buy Like that's all they do all night, and like you rarely see people going up. There's never a line at the poll tabs count or anything, but they're working there every fucking night. And it's just a novelty. Like I've never gone there and like, oh yeah, I'm doing pull tabs all night. It's just it's a it's a thing that when people from out of town are like, what the fuck is that you show them? But no one actually does it, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've experienced that. The Vegas Lounge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was there the whole time, Like it was a whole corner of the place and you probably never even saw it. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, it's Oh it's its own little like counter. Yeah, it's like a key where I know the Vegas Lounge.
Speaker 2: Like if you're facing the karaoke stand, yeah, to the rock deck out back behind it, to the right, it's like in the back corner, it's like the door that goes out to the dumpsters. It's like next to that, it's like there's a blind spot there. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just remember my I think my most vivid memory of the Vegas Lounge was It would have been toward the end of my internship and I had to go pee, and then we had requested no easy way out by Edward Tepper and you Ben Reeves, and I want to say Tim Turry went up and there were four mics, but you were looking for me. I think it was Ben Reeves started sprinting around the perimeter of the bar trying to find me, thinking I had gone out for I don't know, to get on the phone or something. I was just in the bathroom. And then you did the same thing with the same exact song at Tim Turry's wedding, but I had less a wedding. Yes, I just disappear when that song is about to come on, even though it's the best song ever written.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesse, are you?
Speaker 1: Are you a rocky guy? I Rocky's fine? Okay, you know what? You know? What here?
Speaker 2: I take? What's that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: All movies should be forty five minutes no longer?
Speaker 2: Oh okay? Is this the thing with the kids today, Jesse? Because you're you're twenty one next week. Look anyone more than two years younger than me as a kid, including Mike. There's a weird I don't know if it's this industry or what. But there is a weird anti movie thing going on with the youths. I think I've heard this.
Speaker 1: This is a me problem.
Speaker 2: No, I've heard this recently from Jordan Middler, who's a youngster in games media, Mike Manatti, who he's not a youngster. He's a Disney child though, so that he might as well be a year.
Speaker 3: On years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah about Disney movies are longer than forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: I know, but every Disney is just a different Like you know, he he's afraid of fruit, but he he'll eat a dull whip at Disney because that's get about his he is on it. Then all the rules go out the window, you know, gotcha? Yeah, yeah, that's all to say that, Like, yes, there are many younger people in the games industry now that are either fully anti the filmic arts or like Jesse just said, here, uh, forty five minutes longer. You you don't think, what's the longest movie that you love?
Speaker 1: Did have I seen what? No?
Speaker 2: After?
Speaker 1: I actually do want to see.
Speaker 2: That that's like three hours long?
Speaker 1: I still I couldn't hear you either time?
Speaker 2: What movie? One battle after another? It's great I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I've seen The Lord of the Rings extended editions like multiple times, like those are long as how I love Pans Labyrinth. That's like not a short film by any measure. Like I have seen plenty of long movies. I simply think that some movies, most movies in fact, are too fucking long.
Speaker 1: But isn't Rocky for like an hour to twenty rock three rock? I gotta watch three Rockies to get there, though I've only seen the first one.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing, Jesse, I want to give you. Listen, you watch fucking Furry Vengeance with me last weekend?
Speaker 3: All right, no, no, no, no no, don't say it like, don't say it like I was gong ho. You held me hostage and then texted me multiple times to make sure I was into that Twitch chat with you, and then made me check in with you at least every fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true, Mike. Furry Vengeance is Brendan Fraser twenty ten. Him and Brookshields move into a house in the woods and they're they're haunted by c GI animals for an hour and a half. But I don't want to get distracted from Rocky yet all right, Jesse, Rocky one and Rocky two are films like Capital F films. You know, it was like Oscar Camera.
Speaker 1: Rocky one Runs Up the Stairs one one got nominated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, those are those are films.
Speaker 3: Drinks the Rug, Yeah, absolutely, I'm familiar.
Speaker 2: Rocky four is a movie. It is the most bullshit dumb ass. But I don't mean to say it's like, oh, it's this ironic, it's so bad, it's good. Do you like say it's not a fury vengeance situation. It is genuinely one of the most exciting things I have seen in my life. Every single time I watch it, It's an hour and a half long, and I feel like it's been going for twenty minutes and then it's like the final fight has started. It is the fastest moving, like gripping from shot to shot thing. I would want to hear what Jesse Vittelly thinks of Rocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not just a final fight. It's a metaphor for the Cold War and like just you know, like the post World War two tensions and how that wrought havoc across the world.
Speaker 2: It's just like that movie.
Speaker 1: Also, that movie is like people give Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan credit for bringing an anime vibe to the Creed trilogy, especially Creed three, which Michael B. Jordan was his directorial debut. Good movie, not my favorite. But Rocky four was all ready in anime, basically with two jacked, very hot men punching each other over and over and over and the one guy.
Speaker 2: Oh god, there's a lot. There's sly Apollo and talk.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, what do you mean you said too? Who's don't want to spoil anything about one? Fight is decidedly unhot unless you're into.
Speaker 2: Don't spoil it, produce.
Speaker 1: That's why I didn't want to. You just brought it up. So you got to watch Rocky two, and then you got to watch Rocky three, and get this, you gotta watch Rocky four.
Speaker 3: So this isn't an hour and a half endeavor anymore.
Speaker 1: SI, Yeah, you don't need.
Speaker 2: To watch There was a lot of there's such a just emotion to four if you've seen the three leading up to it.
Speaker 1: I would say, especially one and two. Uh A man and I last year, two years ago, I showed her the entire series, and by that I mean I clockwork oranged her to the couch and we skipped three, and I think for still we were both creaming our jeans the whole time.
Speaker 2: I don't love three. It definitely has some great moments. I was, I was thinking of the Mickey arc is important. Yeah, that's good. I was watching the dirtier cut of Dirty Work with some friends a couple of nights ago. Here, you know, they put out the dirtier cut this this week. And Norm's talking to Chevy Chase, who's the doctor who's got the gambling habit, and he's explaining why he needs this fifty thousand dollars. He's like, I got a lot of people I can blame for my dead situation, you know, the Boston Red Sox, the New England Patriots, mister T and he keeps going like Norm's like, whoa wait, are you saying you bet on the fight in Rocky three and you bet against Rocky He did lose in one. Uh oh that is true? Yes, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got Rocky for us.
Speaker 2: Still good?
Speaker 1: And then Creed one? So have you seen Creed one and two or three?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I felt like I needed to see all of the Rockies before I could see Creed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: So what's the last movie saw in the theaters?
Speaker 3: Oh you don't want to know, man, you really don't want to Yeah, mean curious, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: The last time I was okay?
Speaker 2: Wait? Is it because it's been so long or because you think the movie?
Speaker 3: Really it's I think the last time I was in the theater was twenty twenty three. Maybe okay, I thought, maybe something. I mean, no, no, no, But it's been like years, literal years.
Speaker 2: So what what gets you? Like? What is okay? In the last like five or six years? Which movies got you out to the theaters?
Speaker 1: The Batman? Definitely? That?
Speaker 2: Do you like that?
Speaker 1: I liked it a lot.
Speaker 3: Actually, I really really liked that movie.
Speaker 2: Not the long one, just three hour.
Speaker 3: Yes it is a long one, but that I made a day of it. Was like I went in the morning, I went to the Nighthawk by me. It was very nice. Had breakfast there after.
Speaker 2: Col Bruise, so you're by the night Hawk. The night hooks awesome. They used to do a like nineties movie brunch, a boozy brunch things. So I saw like Speed and eight brunch and had cocktails and stuff. Yeah, it's so nice, it's great. Gold And I and yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: So I saw that.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's a lot of like whenever my friends want to go to the movies and they asked me to go. So it's like normally a lot of Marvel, it's a lot of like video game like Sonic three. Like it's things that I'm like, I'm not gonna go to the movies myself most of the time. But if like my crew is like, hey, we're going to the movies today, you want to come, I'm like, yeah, sure, why not? It just doesn't happen often. What was the hardest scene, like a real movie in a theater in a long time?
Speaker 1: What was the last movie you saw before the pandemic and then the first one you saw after.
Speaker 3: I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Birds of Prey because that was like right before everything shut down.
Speaker 2: That was that, Zack Snyder, I think, so I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember it was, Yeah, it was like the Harley Quinn.
Speaker 1: Twenty shutdown. And then do you remember the first one.
Speaker 3: After first one might have been.
Speaker 1: That's tough. I actually don't, just fine, I remember both. My last one was Parasite and like four blocks Away when we still have a movie theater. I remember it even more because that movie theater closed to the Pandemic. My first one after was Top On Maverick, which to this like is still one of the most fun in theater experiences I've ever had in my life. And I'm glad that might actually been my first one back to and a lot of people back because they're like, oh, it's you know, fucking the movies are back in town.
Speaker 2: Go check it out.
Speaker 1: And my my crowd was amazing. We were They were cheering and laughing at all the right spots.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 1: They were smart about that pandemic was what peels might believe before. Yeah, okay was it because almost.
Speaker 3: I remember, I think it's post pandemic. Yeah, then that was the first movie I saw back.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay saw that in the theaters. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Top com Maverick was definitely not right after I took a bit.
Speaker 2: It was like twenty two, but it was done like it was like ready to be released, like near the beginning of the pandemic. And I think like Cruise and those guys were like so adamant, like this is a movie theater movie, so like they just sat on that for like a year or two or whatever it was. And like that was a smart call because like that movies, it's not like it's gonna age. I mean, like all the effects that were like a lot of it was real. It wasn't even like CG.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh it's not gonna age. I see what you're saying. I thought you're saying it's not gonna age. Well no, no, that's what I'm saying. I think it's like a pretty evergreen thing. It doesn't rely on like CG that's going to be like, you know, look shitty in a few years or anything.
Speaker 2: Like the themes or anything are pretty evergreen. So yeah, that was totally the right call on that, which I think a lot of studios would not have had the patience for that, but in those crazy circumstances, it was the right call. Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: I that was also the first movie Amanda heead every Sea in the drive Through. We d then drive in Thank You. Yeah, And we went into a drive in summer of twenty two and we'd already seen Maverick in the Spring or whatever it was, and then we looked up the drive in drive Through, Drive In It's not Fast Food. The trailer d it's one of like the last one hundred or so drive ins in the country, and it was playing Top Gun. So we had the rental car trunk popped at beach chairs out nice bottle of burgundy. I wasn't drinking burgundy when I watched Top Gun. Mavericks, that's a shotgun a beer situation. I think, Yeah, good thing. You know how to shotgun beers.
Speaker 2: I've done two now, the one with you in the backyard and then one of my brother in law last summer. Nice.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're like, this is like a new thing for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike taught me. I was like probably thirty. Mike was when you were an interne. You were thirteen or fourteen, right, Mike. Yeah, And we were at a party and Yeah, taught me at a shotgun beer. I think I was always freaked out of the idea of shotgunning a just because, like, first of all, like I did a decent amount of beer bongs in college. He moved a lot too, right, that's the butt thing. Yeah, Yeah, I did a lot of the not a lot, but I occasionally would do the beer bong thing because that's just an it's a funny thing to do. It's called a beer bong. It's just a big fucking tube going into your face. It looks stupid, it's funny you get drunk so fast. And I know a lot of those same things applied to shotgunning, but it's like I never quite understood what you had to do to the can and how, and then it's like the fact that you put your mouth on a thing that has freshly broken metal and so on. Actually, I just shot on a beer with Timp Turry at Ben Hanson's like lot this summer, so I guess I've done three now. But yeah, just put in your mouth on a jagged thing of metal always scared me, whereas like the beer bod, like this is just a hose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the same concept as how beer cans used to need to be opened in like the sixties or whatever. You had the Have you ever seen old number old beer or old can openers.
Speaker 2: At the heart the sixties?
Speaker 1: Think, I no, I know, but the design of the can opener lasted a while and there probably are still some out there. But you know, like now, I think pan openers all have the crank. There were the ones before it where it was just the pointed like the point, and in order to open beer cans back in the day, you needed to basically poke two holes in the top. The one hole is the same reason you have the hole in most coffee cup lids because without that hole, there's no air exchange because you're just suctioning your mouth to the drinking hole. So you need that second hole for the actual air exchange, so oxygen can replace the liquid that you're sucking out.
Speaker 2: So I find it difficult to understand things that you can't see.
Speaker 1: No, I get it. I know it's weird. But like if you like you ever had, you know, when you have a water bottle, a plastic water bottle, and you put your entire mouth around the neck and you just suck, you know how, like you get suction to the water bottle, a water bottle, but that no, that's this is designed you like a plastic like a plastic screw hole in spring. You've probably done it, you know how. You suck it and actually the bottle like shrivels up like a scrotum. That's because there's nothing replacing the liquid or the auction being lost.
Speaker 2: So the then the hole is too. What if that was metal, the metal wouldn't like collapse on itself.
Speaker 1: No, then metal things still share you with your shotgun. But like the shotgun thing, you I showed you how to tip it over, and you you lean it in such a way. Say this is upside down beer can, you lean it. This is the where you find the bubble with your can or with your keys of knife. Sure you puke the bubble. You make a big enough hole, and you make sure you're only You're not like pulling metal out. You make sure you keep it pushed in. You make a big enough hole you could shot on a beer like fucking two face. If I tried to do this myself, I always need an adult to set everything up. No, I get it. It's a weird thing, and I also don't I I it must it's funny. I always wondered who figured out how to do this, But then you look at how beer cans used to be open, and it's actually not that far fetched like this, People back that I could have done this easily just by virtue of how beer cans were normally opened is my point. Okay, But now we take for granted that the hole on a beer can is large enough where you're generally not able to close your mouth around it in.
Speaker 2: A way that they got the big mouths now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like there's enough, there's oxygen getting in the around the sides of your mouth, so you don't need that extra hole.
Speaker 2: Like next time you have a coffee, I put my I put my mouth around the entire like circular lid up top. That's how during soda beer, it's the whole can get like like you just hold the whole can the whole I wrap it around. Yeah, yeah, cool thing, full circumference. Yeah, I see it.
Speaker 1: Poor, it's off putting on a hinge my jeologus snake. Yeah, but no, I'm glad. I I haven't shot on a beer since then.
Speaker 2: I don't think. What don't you understand?
Speaker 1: Just in life? Yeah, what's what's the biggest thing that keeps you awake?
Speaker 2: You got questions?
Speaker 3: Oh? I on the oh, I had a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: I know, I have a lot of.
Speaker 3: Questions in like, yeah, the things I don't understand big ones are sinkholes. I just don't understand them. I don't want I don't know if I want to understand.
Speaker 2: Them, like in streets or sinks.
Speaker 1: Oh, but the land ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I don't even I've never even thought of them.
Speaker 1: I think a lot about falling through the earth, just dreams.
Speaker 2: Do you have dreams of falling through Is this?
Speaker 1: You have dreams in general?
Speaker 2: No dreams about falling through things?
Speaker 3: No, but I do think about it a lot. It's like when I'm walking and I see a pothole, I'm like, is that? Could that be a sinkhole? I don't know, Should I walk around that?
Speaker 1: Where does it go?
Speaker 2: When I was when I was in elementary school, I was probably like fifth grade or so, there's a kid on my block. I we'll say his name was Larry, and he we were at the park one day and he threw a piece of glass at my face. We found some glass on the ground in the sand, and he threw it in my face and it sliced my cheek open, bleeding everywhere. And went home, got cleaned up, got patched up in everything. And it might have been like the next day or something. I don't think it was the same day, but I went to the same park and I dug a hole, like a big hole.
Speaker 1: I heard this story.
Speaker 2: I don't think Jesse yet.
Speaker 1: And this is a wiley coyote response to a.
Speaker 2: Thing when I was like ten or eleven or whatever, and so I dug it deep. I'd say, if I had to guess right now, two to three feet. Maybe it was less. But as a kid, I remember thinking like, that's a big hole, and so I dug it. Let's say three foot by three foot or so, maybe two foot by two foot. And then I broke off a bunch of branches from trees and I chris crossed them. I went home. I got some paper high v bags. I tore them up, but not too much enough to lay them across, and then I took the shovel and I covered it up with sand. And then I went to Larry's house. I knocked on the door and I had a band on my cheek and stuff, and I'm like, hey, let's race, you know, like where we can do a race. He's like okay. So we go to the park and I very specifically, I was like, all right, we're gonna line up here. I'm at this swing and Larry you line up with this swing. Not a coincidence that he was lined up there, and we're gonna run the first one to touch the slides or whatever the fuck wins, and uh, we uh, get down. We go one, two, three, and I you know, I'm no athlete, but I was faster than Larry. I got past him. I turn around just as I heard just like a and I just saw like a fucking sand cloud pop up, and he just disappeared. Larry was just gone into the hole, crashed through all the sticks and everything, and just laying at the bottom of a pit with sticks and heavy bags and sand all over him.
Speaker 3: I imagine like that cartoon thing where they're running and then they realized there's a hole beneath them, but their legs are still going.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, held that said yikes or yep or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like, what in the cartoon ass fucking trap did you you make for this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They do that in heavyweight. Why did you do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, if I wasn't a fighter, uh, you know, I'm not gonna go challenge the man to a fistfight, but I'll use my wits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it' that's a good man. You're solid. Did you go up to the edge of the hole and laugh? I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually exactly what happened. He was pissed off, and I think it was maybe just an unsaid thing of like, okay, we're even you know.
Speaker 1: Was it deep enough though where his entire body disappeared? In my again we're talking over checking you just in your memory?
Speaker 2: Was in my memory? I remember him there's a blat and like not being visible and then me walking up and seeing him.
Speaker 1: It's way funnier if he actually just like vanished than if he tripped into like two feet Yeah, funny, I'm not again, But in my head, I remember how I thought back then, and I definitely would have thought that, like I want to see this guy fall into a hole, and it's because that's a big hole.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but like I was looking five step, my mind is something I always made sure to do it right.
Speaker 1: You know what. I remember the story. I thought about it during Ghost of Yota. Have you gotten to that part yet where that guy is digging all those I'm there, Okay, Sorry that the sacrifice. Guys, they put me an infamous and I told him you're gonna get to that point in the game and you're gonna fucking lose your mind laughing because I brought that up. I'm sorry to jump the gun on that one.
Speaker 2: Many people at school called me Burry Samurai like they called Youtsu. The audience was the Ghost of Holy Trinity. There's the father son, the Holy Ghost, and then the real ghost.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't wait for Ghost of Yote sequel. Ghost of Fucking Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Me and Leannexa, Kansas in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Five, Ghost of sitting next to the hole with a shami, just like bathing in a fucking jacuzzi. Reflecting on Looney Tunes, it probably wasn't inspiration. I did love Looney Tunes. Speaking of do you want to talk about video games? No? Sure, yeah, all right, A couple of big games have come out since we last recorded. I guess second episode in a row where we've all been playing a lot Ghosts of Yote. I want to jump it too right away. Is there anything we need to clean up first? Jesse? Quick, I'm gonna like rapid fire you Hollow Night Silk Song. What do you think in one sentence?
Speaker 3: I think Hollow nighte Silk Song is diabolical in the best ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a great sentence. You have one sentence to describe that game. That is a plus.
Speaker 1: Jesse, thank you, it's good work. What other game did we talked about last time.
Speaker 2: Uh uh uh, let me scroll down. Let me scroll down. It's basically a silk song. I Racing crossworld I was the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I refuse to learn anything about the Sonic franchise, and I played forty five minutes of Sonic Racing Cross Worlds and still don't know anything about the Sonic franchise.
Speaker 2: To like this guy, all right, I like I like Rapid Fire, but Telly Corner.
Speaker 3: Borderlands four is specifically the guy you knew in high school that never got out of his hometown but then did and learned a little bit about his life and has now come back with a fresh perspective.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I know, I know something like that. All right? You want to go to go to Yote?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure?
Speaker 1: Or do you have any more Rapid Fire?
Speaker 2: I can go all day Cloverpit.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the hell that is?
Speaker 3: Uh Oceanobi, I haven't played it, but it looks sick as hell.
Speaker 2: The Minnesota State pair never been but would like to go middle your solid Delta.
Speaker 3: I think the original is better, and I don't think that's a hot take.
Speaker 2: The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 1: The Legend of Delta.
Speaker 3: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in design, in letting you do whatever the fuck you want to do.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite game of all time?
Speaker 3: It's a toss up any day between two games. It's either Outer Wilds or Luigi's Mansion for the game cube.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that's yeah, I mean Outer wild You had me let me wait, Can I give you my pitch on Luigi's Mansion? Please do so.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons I love the Resident Evil franchise specifically, like the early games, is mastery over a space, learning a space and figuring out the best ways to maneuver around it and use it the systems at your disposal to give yourself the advantage. Luigi's Mansion is a Resident Evil game and everything, but name if you really think about it, it is mastery over that space and.
Speaker 2: So specific like being in a mansion, and you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to take it like at face value, absolutely, yeah. But I do think there is that progression that you get in Luigi's Mansion that you get in a Resident Evil game.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this before, and I feel like maybe you could relate. I didn't know you were super into Resident Evil because I am. My favorite video games and movies often take place in a very confined setting. It's almost like a stage play, like Resident Evil. Like to your point, you're mastering a space. It's like this one set that you're kind of like getting to know intimately, as opposed to this like Globe trotting Adventure Residu. Yeah, Spencer Mansion, Raccoon City Police Department. I'm, I'm that's right up my alley.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The bad thing about Resident Evils they always have to end up in like a lab or like a new space by the year. It's like, no, let me just stay in the old space like it's cool, Like.
Speaker 1: The village is the coolest, and then the castle is less cool, and then the island sucks. Island is the world I use podcast that we talked about this reason. Mary and I just recently finished up for a remake for CANEVL and yes, I like the remake. Not only did it not improved, it reinforced how bad the last third of that game is. Even though the village and the castle to some extent, but especially the village are good enough where it's still cemented in so many of our minds is one of the best games ever because it's really really, really good. Up front, the game should enter at the castle, that's when you.
Speaker 2: Gamed at the castle, and just be like, what would be like a ten hour game at that point.
Speaker 1: Something like that, Yeah, because then it becomes sixteen eighteen with the fucking it's not just military island zombies with guns an armor, sure, whatever, it's that the island has. Like they're all like at the button for the garage door, They're like, oh and then it's opening closing, and like, I don't that that I don't need and I didn't want and I still don't want the remake, all right, but yeah, Ghost of Yote. Are we all played it, all three of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like ten hours in now, Okay, I'm far h Okay, it's people know, Okay, we.
Speaker 1: Say this a lot. Okay, let me let me say this. Let me say this. And I'm not the first one to mention this. It is very very funny to me how similar the premises for Assassin's Creed Shadows and Ghost of Yota are also the vibes spaghetti western like music like any of Morricone kill Bill set in Japan. A certain number of asked enemies kills people important to you, and you're you set off on this revenge tale Assassinae cree Chadows obviously introduced as another playable character. Yote is very much just like again, won't spoil anything just as it goes. It obviously changes format, but it's generally you're hunting down the Yota Six, which are it's this band of outlaws kind of almost Ronan who lost this huge battle down the south, and they go to one of the northernmost islands and you learn atsu early on she loses her family's farm, gets attacked because of some past transgression of her of her dad, and then you're hunting down the people who did it, and you are this kind of come back to life. You're seen as this local folk legend Ghosh the Onrio. Yeah, and she as opposed to June from the first game. He is literally like a disgrace samurai And a big part of that game is what is honorable to defeat your enemies? Like if sneaking up and stabbing them back, is that honorable? Is like is there a means to an end where you're still a samurai? Are you just a Ronan? Are you this dishonored person wandering the land. If you're doing this like shady shit Yota right off the bat is like, she does not give a fuck. She's not a samurai. She is out for revenge. She learned. She hones her skills in a war down south, Big Battle comes back north, Yes, yeah, Vlamo comes back north to hunt down the Yota six, mainly this one dude, Lord Saito. And yeah. From there, you're set out in Yota to go hunt them down, and you're gathering info about them, You're interrogating people. I want to say this, I really really don't like being hyperbolic this early in a game's life cycle. I do think Ghost of Yota is one of the top three most beautiful games I've ever played. I mean, I think it might be the most beautiful game I've ever played.
Speaker 2: I had that feeling imediately too, especially when it does the big kind of like tidle card sequence and stuff, kind of after the prologue that test things up in You're on your horse and just you're just seeing these mountains and.
Speaker 1: Still the Kira Krasaua stuff. You're following the wind currents you are riding through. There's certain colors of flowers that speed you up more. But immediately it's like it's that kind of like Breath of the Wild in the Distance had that water color facade to the background. Breath of the Wild like, technically speaking, is not that good looking of a game in the distance at all. But Ghost of Yota immediately the color palette reminded me of Assassin's Creed origins and the way you have these pops of color and you do start in like a grassland. You're literally in the I think the grasslands of Yota. There's some the something grasslands, and they this game, more than Ghosts of Sushima, does start throwing you into much more varied biomes pretty quickly, if you like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mine is very like a tumnol right now. Right now, it's all just kind of like red and yellow leaves. Okay, cool.
Speaker 1: So they do do a Zelda thing at some point where they're like, Okay, you can go to this part of the map to hunt this person. You can go to that part of the map to hunt that person. So I have been asking people where they're going. First sounds like I went to a different one than you.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing is like I you know, obviously Breath the Wild gets every game gets compared to it now, but like I couldn't help but think of it here, because I feel like Sushima was more kind of that old open world style game of like you know, Gtao, you can get to this next island when the bridges get fixed. You know, it's like, oh, you get to this defined point in the story and then this other part of the map opens up. Whereas this makes me feel more like Breath the Wild. Words like Breath the Wild had the four Divine Beasts and it's like, hey, go at it, whatever you want to do. This was like you established the Ota six and then like I think it's so cool and just like riding around the map and whether it's like people in a town like a marketplace and stuff, or you're just like riding through the woods and you come across something and you're just kind of picking up all this information and clues and things like that, and it's very much like you were kind of filling in clues about like Okay, this guy is somewhere in these mountains. Oh this guy I heard the bartender over here might know something about that, and so you are picking this thing. It's almost like a corkboard type situation, you know, where it's like, Okay, I'm starting to get a I'm getting a bead on where this dude is. This dude's definitely here, whereas this guy's generally in the east or whatever. And you can choose which one to go after. And the map is so smartly designed. Where you go to the map, it looks beautiful. Just the style of the map is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Itself, is like, yeah, it's all hand drawn off off of where you've explored, similar to weirdly, Civilization six did that thing when you had the fog of war? Is a hand drawn map when you haven't actually revealed. It reminds me of that Weirdly.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of like ink blots and lines and things like that. And you will get these cards basically like okay, so I'm looking at the cards now that are clearly main story, like they're yellow, these are the people from the Ota six. But then there's the ones where it's just straight up bounties you pulled off a board. Here's myths about the area where it's just like, oh, legend tells that this thing is over here.
Speaker 1: Yo, kai make weird noises in these woods over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So like it's so conducive to just like getting on your horse or running around and just finding a thread and following that and like you will inevit. Like it doesn't feel like empty space, even though it is a lot of fields and things like that. Like I do feel like if I ride in any direction for a couple of minutes, I'm gonna pick up on some thread that I'm gonna get curious about. And on the way there, I will run into three things, whether it's like a bamboo thing that will upgrade this or a hot springs that will upgrade my maximum health. There's just like or you know the bird thing that they had in Soushmowe. It's like, oh, a golden bird comes down, Like I'm gonna follow this guy, or a fox leads me to this little cave. Like it's remarkable how much stuff they fit into what on the surface looks like a bunch of feel you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I I still think and I don't know how you would avoid this in a game like this, but like I think I'm twenty five hours in and there's a point in which it does start feeling repetitive and a bit rope where you're like, Okay, I'll go do the Okay, there's a hot spring there, I'll go do it so I can rank up my max health. Okay, there's a bamboo thing, which I still find these mini games i'll call them. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, but generally speaking, some of them are more like the bamboo especially is a quick time event, which I still find them very fun. But no, it's it's all fun. And also this game i'll get to it's got remind I think it has Red Dead two influences in a funny way that I will get to.
Speaker 2: In our quick look. But I think this does it better. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's like at a certain point, at the point of at the game, I am starting to be a bit fatigued with the side stuff and that's unavoidable, and it's still it's gonna be there, and it's up to me to engage with it or not. It is hard for me for the yellow bird to come down and not follow it, and then all of a sudden it's like, oh, it's it's a it's a fox. Then, so I'm gonna follow this fox for a bit and I'll get a charm. I'll be okay. However, I also think I just mentioned there are some Red Dead Redemption two elements where they're having to do a lot with the touchpad, which when people tell me that I tend to get turned off, I don't. I don't normally like that, but it's deployed in a way where it reminds me of Red Dead two, where it's like this game does kind of force you to slow down and be present in these little moments like, for instance, you have to light anytime you light a fire if you make camp or you find a fire and you have cause you can make camp and then summon many of the craftsmen to you and instead of going to where they are in the towns, and they show you again on really gorgeous menus in this game, they'll show you like your wolf pack, which sounds like sounds dumb, but then like there is the wolf aspect which is also unique to Atsu that Jin didn't have. But you know, some of these people you have to you have to manually hit strike the flint on these tinder piles and then.
Speaker 2: Breathe every time, though like that is a setting too. You can have it set too like every time. Oh I never heard or I think the default is like some of the time. So in fact, we were recording the quick Look today or yesterday for this, and I wanted to show Grub the like blowing into the microphone on the controller stuff and everything, and you know you could do that.
Speaker 1: I always did the R two blowing.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, I had to figure that out because, like I looked, the accessibility options are kind of craziness. You can like turn off the golden bird, you all sorts of little tweaks and stuff like that. But I couldn't get the blowing into the microphone thing in the work. And then I realized, I don't think I've ever had my PS five microphone unmuted. I just had to unmute it with that button and then you just blow into it. But yeah, your trackpad, like you know, putting the flint on the thing and then to kind of like make it go up, and when you're turning the controller to like turn the mushrooms and the fish over.
Speaker 1: Lowering the controller, and then you're what else are you doing? You are when you're painting the doing like the watercolor paintings you're just tracing lines and whatnot, and those things do kind of force you to slow down. But I did find myself getting into a routine where I was trying the story. I actually, really, really, I think this open world story is incredible. It does it builds momentum well as Atsu. I love her as a character because I think my measure of a good character in an open world game is how much do I kind of just incidentally want to role play as them? And there's times with her it's not a role playing game. It's an action. I mean, it's an action of quote unquote RPG. Right, there's progression, but it's not a role playing game in the sense of Balder's Gate three. It's a role playing game in the sense that they do build this sucker punches flashing this character out, and I have gotten so into her character that I'm not thinking what do I want to do? I am thinking like, what would Atsu do in this situation? And I'm like, oh shit, they've kind of got their hooks in me because I would like to just go into this camp and like I'll pick people off one by one stealth, because that's how I play most games that give me stealth options, but as her, it's like, well, I just found this legendary armor that now is supposedly making me this fearsome character. I also just fought this like folk legend, and I love this game. Every time you kill someone on one of these big side quests, you get basically like some like a mask or some trophy of theirs. So I love the fact that she's on this revenge quest and like trying to scare all of her enemies in this entire region. So I'll always kind of in character were the last the mask of the last person I killed? Because they every time you do enter a tavern or whatever, they'll be like, did you hear that's the ownreal like murdered that person. So I like walking into these taverns wearing the mask of that dude that I fucked up, Yeah, because that's very cool to me. And her whole thing is you start to build out these abilities that are separate from her weapon skills, where she there's a bit more supernaw bent to this game that Sushima had a bit of it, but this one you can do like abilities that are literally like on real spirits, howling at enemies and terrifying them, which there it's more magical realism in that regard, but you also have a wolf that's coming along with you. You can upgrade the wolf abilities, and this game is just very much I think it feels like Sucker Punch had a bit more fun making this game than Sushima, which I'm putting words in their mouth. I don't know that for a fact, but it does. Really this game's less afraid to kind of let go of the reins and let things get a bit weird. But I am really just often role playing as Zatsu in a way that I haven't cared about a character in an open world game this much in a while. It reminds it feels like I'm playing Kill Bill if it was set during this specific time period in Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned that, like wanting to role play as her, and that's something I kind of learned with Red Dead two. And maybe one of the reasons I didn't love it the first time around is like, I don't know, I just started that game and was like, all right, my Arthur is going to be this rooting tutin lose Cannon cowboy. I'm just gonna go in here and shoot this place up, and you know, but then like the story was very much at odds with that, where he was this like guy who's coming to terms with mortality and the changing world around him and stuff, and it didn't really work with the way I was playing him. And so this one I am kind of more like, you know, you get a sense of who this character is pretty pretty early on, and like I am just like you know, you'll come across a bunch of dead bodies or whatever, and this guy will be like, hey, don't don't you know, desecrate their graves and steal their stuff or whatever, and you can choose to like, you know, oh I'm gonna kill this guy and steal this or it's like, oh, you're right, I'm sorry. Here, here's money for your village in exchange for these and so like you so I try to kind of like do the right thing but also be a you know, terror to all of my enemies and stuff like that to kind of be congruous with that character in the story. So that has been working for me for sure. I'm curious, Jesse, have you did you what's your history with like Sushma? Did you play that?
Speaker 3: So I played Sushima all the way through some one of those games where I enjoyed it at the time and I cleared the map, like I did everything I could possibly do in that game, and then I never really thought about it again. And I don't mean that as like a slight It was just I had my fun with it, and I kind of moved on. And when they announced the OTA, I was like, Yep, that makes sense. I totally understand why they would make another one of those. And I've seen like small bits of that game, and I've read reviews and watched some of like the Digital Foundry stuff on it, and like that game is gorgeous, like just flat out like you were talking about. But I'm excited. It's currently downloading on my PlayStation right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They they've switched up some things too. From Sushima Sushi me I was very much about his his stance in the weapons, like the combats aret. Now you actually get different weapon types. And I will say another thing I love about this game there is some sort of lower backstory like large sorry like wider context to almost every weapon or armor set you collect. Very seldom do you actually just like find a random armor set in a chest in the middle of nowhere. Often it's this very compelling side quest leading up to it. So once you finally get it, and again to the role playing aspect, you kind of are wearing it in these situations. You're like, I get how the legend of this armor that has these other worldly abilities kind of factors into the context right now. Same with the weapons, and you're not just finding a random weapon or just going to a dungeon and opening a chest and finding this weapon. You're specifically meeting this hermit who was defeated a while ago and now is crippled, but he has that weapon still and he's training you in this weapon. So there's training sequences where you're not immediately good with a weapon. And it doesn't just say like hey, square square triangle will be a combo or a square square square or a triangle triangle triangle. It's like there's a storyline leading up to it where that the person who's a master with that weapon is very much like teaching you how to use it. And I think Sucker Punch does some cool things with this. Sounds stupid, but like with the controller that yeah, like I show yeah, that's stuff I I showed him. I told Amanda. I was like Hey, Amanda's left handed. I was like, hey, there's a part in this game where sucker punch. You know how you're doing the bamboo cuts.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: They're doing one that's very fucking hard during the training sequence for a weapon. Yeah, And I was like, I noticed, Oh, it's all on my left hand on the controller, which is very rare. And I was like, are they assuming I'm right handed because most people are gonna be and they're making it hard. So then of course you try that, and then the next day you wake up and it has gotten a bit easier and you're using your right hand more. I'm like, oh, they're actually like trying to convey that Atsu is getting better at this and it's so it's easier for me, which.
Speaker 2: Is so montage just through the button prompt.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it becomes like a rocky movie at a certain point in this game set to like again, any of Morricone's esque soundtrack with like a kill Bill character or Ahi character. It's fucking like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That gave us so many clever things storytell wise, like as it ties into the gameplay that I'm like this, this is all rad and I'm very like there's a propulsion to the story and and it within the context of the open world that I don't know the last time I felt that in a in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And some of the things like do feel I guess gimmicky, but I don't ever really say that in a bad way for sure, where it's like a lot of times you just go to a menu and it's like I have X of X, I have enough to press X and upgrade my sword and this one like you do it. But then it's like you're at your father's forge and you're literally taking the dual sense and you're like like the heated sword you're banging down and you gotta press a button to reheat it, observing to flip it over and start banging it. Like so you were watching the metal kind of like get hot and form into the new sword. It's like it is, yes, it's a hard word gimmick, but it's like it's I kind of like this, this.
Speaker 1: Word it's a gimmick put to good use because again, like when you're cooking, you're you are supposed to I think kind of be like men you're when you're camping and cooking. I do think it's supposed to be like a moment of just like chilling out. They're assuming I think they're assuming you've been chasing hot springs or yellow birds or like again, I really really want to be careful and not to spoil any main story things because this game is so good along its Golden Path, But anytime you're hunting one of the Yota six or two or whatever it is, it's all drastically different in the way that if you're looking at like a Zelda game which I always mentioned, Zelda Horizon Forbidden West to the same thing where you get to a certain point and they're like, okay, well there's this enemy borderlines forward did it. They're like, there's this enemy in this biome. You can go hunt them if you want. There's this enemy in this biome, go there first if you want. Yota does such a great job structurally speaking, in like narrative design of switching up the Golden Path into each of those areas where when you're hunting this one person in the snowy area, it's very much about like you're being hunted most of that time, but then you go here and it's like very much like this war torn area and it's just this brutalized countryside where they're trying to build up this stronghold, so it's all like being logged there you can kind of be more brute force. But then you go down to the quieter part of the map and everything just weaves back in on itself in terms of the vibes of the world as it pertains to the story being told. I like it's it's funny if you back of the box. Wise, there's not a ton different from Sushima. Like, sure, there are a few, you don't have stances anymore, you actually have different weapons. She plays differently than June. You have a wolf with you now, But like Taken as a whole, it flows so much better than Sushima, I think. And I love Sushima, to be clear, I don't I don't think. I don't think that was a terrible game. They needed to improve on that much. But I like Yote quite a bit, and I like this is the first open world game in a while outside of work purposes I've wanted. I've committed to like finishing because and for the story, which I again, the last time that happened was probably fucking which are three where I was just finishing the open world game for the story, but like, yeah, I don't know. I like, you'll take quite a bit at who's awesome that game is. I've used I can't help but use photo mode every ten minutes.
Speaker 2: It's it's like maybe the best photo mode I've ever seen. Yeah, Like both in terms of like the game is so conducive to it because it's so gorgeous, but also the level of like, Okay, I went burning embers in the sky and there's Aurora Borealis behind me, and you know, the usual expression stuff and all that stuff, but like it just looks unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's really good. I like you'll take you quite a bit. Yeah, Jesse, if you if you get the chance to play it, play it. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: And I thought I'd be burned after finishing Assassin's Cree Shadows because I'm like, I feel like I just did this.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, yeah, did you like was that?
Speaker 1: Are you a completionist or did you really? Were you just liking that game quite a bit?
Speaker 3: I was freelancing guides for it, and so I had to finish it.
Speaker 1: I have the option, was that the option, see I should have meted.
Speaker 3: So not only that, but it was going up and down the map making sure I've seen every icon doing most of them.
Speaker 1: Us and I like that game, to be clear. I liked Shadows for what it was worth, but Yote just ties it all together so much, quite a bit better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesse, We've never, like I think, dove deep on this or anything, but like I have, I've always been fascinating because like guides, I mean you came from Prima and guides writing. Uh, that isn't an aspect of games media and games coverage I've never done. I've always just wondered what that process is like, especially in today's landscape where it's like, Okay, well this new big game Silk Song launches and we expect you know, sixty different guides about every you know, place you can find a rosary thing, or like, is that because we're viewing a game? I mean we were talking actually before we're recorded here. You know you review JRBGS and so that's forty fifty plus hours and stuff like what does that equate to in like, if you're writing a full on guide for something, how many hours are we talking about it here? How deep do you have to go?
Speaker 3: It really depends it depends on a lot of factors, and like it's kind of a cop out answer, but depends on the game. It depends on the team you're working with, because like I've I've worked with my team when I was at Prima for my team at Restart a freelance where I'm just like a small part of a bigger puzzle. Like IGN's got a whole different operation going on over there, because they've got a lot of people on these projects.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: It's intensive because you're taking notes on everything because a lot of the times you don't know if something's important or not, because like there are a lot of quest lines in Silk Song right, or like like elden Ring was a big one where it's like I talked to this NPC, this might be important ten hours from now.
Speaker 1: I don't know nothing at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no because when you're the one writing the guides, you can't consult guides because they don't exist yet. So you're playing these games in a vacuum where if you get stuck you can maybe ask the developer maybe, but really you can't. And so it's a lot of like it's very collaborative in that regard because it has to be because people are exchanging information with one another, because that's all you've got.
Speaker 2: Were you ever on the you know, because premium. When I think at PREMI I think by the old you know, just old big chunky strategy guides. We tried to sell it funkal Land back in the day, you know, like were you doing print ever or was it more like dedicated like okay, so this is a URL for how to find every one of these and this is this and how many were comprehensive walkthroughs that you were doing?
Speaker 3: So we did one print guide while I was there. I co wrote it with my buddy Lucas White, who was also there at the time for axiom Verge one end two.
Speaker 1: So it's what it was. One package.
Speaker 3: It was package's limited run. It was like a pre order like pre order, only it was the last physical Prima Guide to ever exist, probably will be the last physical guide to ever exist. And that one was tricky because axiom Verse two wasn't out yet and it was still in active development, like we were doing this like months before that came out, because it was it was to go up like alongside it, and so we would do like whole sections of that game, and then Thomas Happ would email us to be like I actually changed that entire section, and so we would just like delete the Google doc and like start again.
Speaker 2: Do you remember I came if it was a prima, But do you remember the story of like Mortal Kombat was at nine, the reboot one. It was after the DC Universe thing, and they sent out the strategy guide again. I can't remem if it was premium or not, but it had everything is you know, oh the fatality inputs and stage fatalities and all this very specific like here's how you do this move. Yeah, And then before it came out everything changed, so like if you bought that strategy guide, you had to like email a thing and they would send you a bunch of like little like glossy flash cards like oh, sorry, here's the actual fatality thing. Like yeah, that seems crazy.
Speaker 1: That was back during the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously I wasn't around for that, but that was back during the time where people from Prema would actually go to studios and get like a day with the game and just do whatever they wanted to do for you know, a handful of hours able to take their notes, screenshots, get all their stuff, and then they'd leave and they'd be like put in like a room and they'd be like, Okay, here's your you know build. We're gonna have somebody sitting here, so you don't like steal anything or break anything.
Speaker 1: And then you'd have here, you.
Speaker 3: Have eight hours like get all the information you want essentially, So I think Mortal Kombat was one of those cases like a lot of the like Narudo Ninja Storm game stuff like that, but like modern Day Guides is a lot of like SEO targeted stuff, so it's like what are people specifically googling? And how do we title a game or title an article specifically?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 3: So it is a lot of like what does the F in Silent Hill f mean? You know, like like you're that's the kind of stuff you know.
Speaker 1: A certain when that build?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly? Yeah? Or yeah, Like certainly, game like Silk Song, more than anything I've seen in probably a few years, is the most like I found myself going to a lot of like all right, how do I unlock Act three? What do I do? Like what does this NPC do? Like that was so conducive because the game itself is so not pointing you towards things that like at a certain point, it's like, I'm just gonna look this up. So there's so many fucking silks on guides right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's everything I did like comprehensive Monster Hunter guides for wilds of like weapons, so it was like cataloging all the weapon weapon details, materials, how to get them, putting them in tables like guides. Work is all over the place, like it really depends on the game. But yeah, so I did that for Shadows, and that's how I ended up playing not only all of the main story, but all of the side content screen shadows.
Speaker 2: That's not the you put into Shadows close to one hundred Okay, maybe just like mainlining the story, like playing it at a standard pace? What is that like a fifty hour game?
Speaker 1: I think about half that I would say, okay.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. Yeah, yeah, I played a fair amount of it and I like it.
Speaker 1: But I've also started Hades two and I'm committed to finishing. But uh, I've played enough of Haites two to uh get the ball rolling. But I think both of you probably played more than I have. I'm like three hours in Jesse.
Speaker 2: How about you. Where are you at?
Speaker 3: I am on the route for the true ending. It's a little bit more of a grind than I had anticipated.
Speaker 2: But so I wonder I think you might be past me then, So I'll speak somewhat generally here, Yeah, don't.
Speaker 1: Spoil this game, because have you seen credits?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 1: Then you were okay, then okay, But but I'll.
Speaker 2: Say I feel like I'm close to something resembling credits, Like, so, Mike, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a spoiler. Like when you walk to go Out, you see that there's a go up right, So in the in the from her the camp basically yes, yes, from.
Speaker 2: The hubs rules. So I beat the final boss of Going Out, and this morning I beat the final boss or you know, going up, at least the final boss as I can see it now. So there's a big boss fight after going up. And so like obviously I haven't seen credits, there's still talk of like okay, well that guy when you go down is still around, you know, so like what do I need to do to finish him off? I'm still expanding the hub. There's still a ton of stuff obviously I can unlock and everything so like Jesse, based on what I'm saying there, like so you've beaten you've beaten up, you haven't beaten down yet, or you have have I beat down, then I beat up.
Speaker 3: You have you have quite a few runs ahead of you, Okay, Like that it is and I don't think it's suppiled to say it's kind of operates similar to the way that the first game does, where like sure it is a set number of completions that helps push that that final chunk along. So you have to do a handful of more runs down there, you have to do a handfle more runs up there, and then you'll have to do some stuff around the hub and then you'll you'll you'll know when it's it's.
Speaker 2: I assume it would be a little different each time, like now that I beat that, Now this is different over here, Like it seems like that's kind of.
Speaker 1: The narrative, will like push along and you'll know you'll.
Speaker 2: Do it does feel like it's it's done by any means, But it feels like I've definitely like knocked down a couple of big obstacles on the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a lot there, Like the crossroads is so expansive, so I'm interested, did you start.
Speaker 1: Playing one point? Oh? Where were you playing? Early access?
Speaker 2: So when it first came out in one point zero and people because I was adamant about like, I'm not touching this until it's one point because that's how I did the first one, I was happy I did it that way. I would much rather play the kind of complete thing than you know, a bunch of stuff along the way. And people are like, oh, you know, the two is even in the like early version early access is like there's a lot there or whatever. And I played like maybe an hour of it when it first launched on Early Access, and I was like, I can tell this is very good. I can tell there's a lot here, and it's not. This does not feel like a you know, preview build or anything like this. This feels you know, whatever. But I still told myself, like I was so happy I waited with the first one, that I'm going to do it again here. I very much support like the early access. I think the early access process leads to something as polished as Haities two releasing in the formats at But just as a player, I prefer to just wait and then have this whole big, almost overwhelming, you know package, you know, and glad. So that's all to say, play about an hour, put it aside for a year and a half, and now I'm just playing one point Oh.
Speaker 3: That's what I wish I did, and I told myself I was going to do. And then they dropped one point oh, and i'ment.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll just I'll just boot it up. I'll just see what it looks like.
Speaker 3: When they did the first early access launch, it's like, I'll just poot it up, I'll see what's going on. And then I blinked in like thirty hours went by and I was like, oh, I made the mistake I said I wasn't going to and then I was like, okay, no more, no more, not until one point oh. And then they dropped the next update, and same thing happened. And so I came into Hades two a little bit like I came into one point zero in a weird spot where I had like an excess of a lot of materials and a lot of stuff because I had just been playing and grinding at a point where like there was nothing to spend any of this on because I had maxed out everything that I could do so I've had like a.
Speaker 2: What were they acting along the way? Like? Was it missing boss fights? Was a missing whole section snap like along the way?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So Early Access launched with the entire underworld fleshed. It fleshed out like final Boss was there like everything, but the upper world only had two zones of the multiple that are in there now and it didn't have it. So they added like two bosses. They added zones, They added a new weapon, They added a bunch of other stuff, like a bunch of the upgrades around the crossroads, only a handful of them were in. They added that there were characters that weren't showing up yet. There was there was like literal like placeholder art in the Early Access version that got updated, you know, they did a pass they added I think one of the updates added something like thirty or forty music tracks to the game, Like they they really kept you know, those updates were very substantial. But the thing I love about Hades two is that it kind of expects you to have played the first game mechanically, like like there's not a lot there that like really eases you into that experience, but it's also almost like it's built to sort of like sidestep all of your knowledge of the first game, because it's like Zagarias plays a very specific way. He's a very like get in there, you know, beat him up. Milenoe is like she's got magic, She's got the Omega moves like it's like, this is a different character who's going to operate around the field differently, and you can build into a play style that plays like the first game. But inherently those first two weapons were giving you the Witch's staff and the Sister blades like they've got more range to them. Her cast is different. It's like it's an AoE around you. It's meant to ensnare enemies, like they want you to be a little more strategic with her because she's a more strategic character in this world. She's thinking about things differently than Zagaras. And I like the way in which Hades two is combat sort of tries to like go around your initial knowledge of that first game, but also still kind of expects you to know how to play this game and know when the right time is to like what builds to go for, and how these these things work around themselves. It's really fascinating because I think The experimentation period with Hades two has been fascinating. Of just like I thought I had like a solid build. It was like, I use the acts, I can sweep across the field and just destroy enemies. But then I go on like speed run dot Com and I'm like, Okay, what are the what are the speed Runners using? Like what's the cool strength? And they use the skull and I think the skull is like the worst weapon.
Speaker 2: I hate a skull on my you it'll probably but like they they show me the ones I have not unlocked yet, but there's definitely like two two I don't even see in the unlocked or locked options or it's like the second to last one. I think, yeah, you have to pick.
Speaker 1: Up when you first see the weapon options, there's six circles. Yeah on the menu, I only even see four. So like they have not added so I was worried. I was still in like a past build, but I just used whatever.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's just a thing of like as you haven't Yeah, yeah, I've used that skull. The skull definitely has I've read briefly that that plays. I've only used the sister blades and the staff so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do. My mains are the Sister Blades and the Axe, and like the axe is like okay, the only real downside to it for me is that like it's slow, so you know, you boost the attack speed on that. And I've also gotten boons where like it basically makes it like a three sixty swing around you, so you can make some broken builds in the best way with the axe. But like there are a couple I tried once and like like the gun or the skull gun and uh, the the two like torches, Like I use those once and I was like, I don't like these. Like occasionally I'll do the staff, but almost always it's the Sister Blades, the axe, or the last one that I just got, which I don't want to spoil, but it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which we will spoil, but is wild.
Speaker 3: Truly, it's pretty cool wild, which in the same ways that the first hades, Like the last weapon you get in that game is is the the rail like that the gun like it's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got the artillery shot for its special yeah, then the machine gun for like so yeah.
Speaker 2: You were you were mentioning the first one and how that worked, and like I totally forgot we were talking about on the BombCast where it's like I forgot the cast was just that diamond thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should the diamond to get them back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally forgot that's how that works. But then you mentioned the charge, like the omega attacks and stuff that did the first one have the omega attacks?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, because you didn't have a magic The magic meter is new, just.
Speaker 2: As straight up MP is new. Yeah. So that, yeah, strategic, Like you're talking about Mollinaa having more like strategy to her. Like I think about every time I start to fight with the Sirens, and it's all right, I dashed between the main lady in the shell and the drummer drop down a cast where it's like, you know, I got lightning or whatever they're and then I'm going over there, I'm beat the fuck out of the guitarist, and so like, there is totally a strategy that I go into with each of these battles that I love. Now, you're right, I don't remember having that feeling with the first one, like the first one is fucking incredible, but I do think this one is pretty much better in every way. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna ask, like I'm not that far in and I'm asking this more to play Devil's Advocate. I don't think every sequel needs to like fucking completely upend its predecessor. I so far, it feels like more Haites to me, and like she plays extremely differently for sure, And I don't think that's a bad thing, because that's kind of what I wanted. Does it Is it taking drastic steps away from the first game, whether it's like structurally as you're in the progression, or is it largely just as a result of the way Melanoi plays with different weapons or how she kind of builds her skills, or or is it just a slight like a different variation on the first game in a fun way, which is fine.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of variation. I think there are expansions in in ways. I think there's a lot of experimentation, which is I think the word I would use to describe it like I think some there are two zones in particular that are structured like drastically different than anything in the first game, And it's more of a like you have more agency over where you want to go and what you want to pick up and sort of how you want to navigate that space, and I think moments like that are really interesting, and I think it's full of little moments like that where it's just like, here's an idea that we've kind of twisted, or we've really just kind of taken this time to experiment with something completely different. But at the end of the day, like you're still getting your P minute upgrades the same way you did through the Mirror of Night, Like this time it's the Arconic cards. You're still upgrading your home base the crossroads in this one. You're still talking to characters and giving them nectar and ambrosia and social links. You're still using six different weapons, You're still getting keepsakes from all the different characters that give you different variations.
Speaker 1: Throughout your run.
Speaker 3: Like all of that is still there. Like the foundation is the same, and honestly, the I think the theming of the story is also pretty similar. Obviously, the stakes have been escalated tremendously from the first game, where the first one is like about like reuniting your family and figuring out like what's going on, but like the second one is like, shit's bad man, like everything, we have to figure this out, and it's kind of on Melina way to solve all of the problems. But at the same time, it is like, kind of this story of living forever doesn't have to be miserable, because so many times when you're talking about like the Greek panthe On, it's all of these gods being selfish and hating each other, and everyone's mad at everyone, and someone's killing somebody and something's happening. But it's kind of nice to have a sort of situation where it's like, you know, there's still selfish motives for a lot of these characters, and they're still pain and anguish there that's being explored. But it is nice to have a story that's like, you know what, we're actually going to be pretty helpful to each other and like, at the end of the day, hopefully be a little bit better to each other. And that's something there's something nice about that. I think it fits thematically with the first one, which is sort of this story that ends on like a very hopeful note despite it being about the god of the underworld.
Speaker 1: So I do appreciate that about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel like it's if somebody just didn't like with the first one at all as far as just the format and how it all works and the tone and the story and everything. Like I don't think that there's such a huge change with two that's like, well you're gonna love this one. Like there definitely are those sequels where it's like, oh yeah, this is totally different, this is similar. I think it's better. I think it offers more. There's I love just having the options of like you know, you know now I'm more specifically like okay, I'm trying to get to the go up boss or the go down boss or whatever. But like there's that kind of middle again once your few hours in, It's like I love going up there and be like Okay, I guess i'll give this another shot. I'll go down there and okay, I'll try this weapon here and I'll go up there, and then you can do the things where you know, you add the modifiers. It's like the Halo skulls, you know of like make this harder and everything. Like it's fun just like deciding early on like what kind of run you want to have, and then as your build kind of progresses as you go through the zones, being like Okay, well I guess it's gonna be this type of run my cast is super overpowered or I'm doing all weak or lightning based powers or whatever, and just seeing the way these runs progress. But it's not that different than that in the first game. I just think it's all expanded upon in a big way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hooked me hard in the first couple hours, Like that's the only thing that's really like pulled me away from Ghosts of Yote and again, I want to I'm gonna finish Goes to Yota. But like Haities two is I knew I shouldn't have started it, but I played a few hours just so I could talk about it at least in the intro tonight. No, yeah, it feels amazing. I'm already very I'm very like intrigued by the different characters at the camp, Like Nemesis. I appreciate that you can't even give her ambrosia at the beginning because she's so You and her clearly have such a terrible relationship. Well she she's Nemesis, so like, of course she's not going to be super friendly with you. But yeah, I also appreciate returning characters. I like that there's new ones. I I was not someone who played the first game for the story, but I thought it added a welcome layer to the story, even though I was playing it for the gameplay, for the progression for the loop. I like that those characters were compelling in their own right outside of the Loop.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm I'm thinking the game. I just gotta you know, I want to keep playing more.
Speaker 1: And it's completely fine if it's not revolutionizing the ideas in the first game, because I don't think it needed to. I think if it needed if it's a refinement of the best game of twenty twenty, then that's a pretty good start. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe the best Rogue Light of all time. Yeah, it's yeah, Jesse.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know the we literally for twenty twenty. That was when we started fire Escape and for our Game of the Year discussion, which we did remotely. I think since then we've done every Game of the year in person, but I believe that was our only remote one, and I think we did two maybe two, and and Haites won one Game of the Year for us, and we literally I don't think said the name Hades until the very end when we announced it, and we.
Speaker 2: Didn't get a whole order of the list, and everything, and it's like we didn't say hades. We didn't go over it. It's just like, okay, so I think this is a good number ten, and our this is this will go up, this to go down. And then we got to one and we're like, oh fuck, we haven't said hades yet. It was just such, it was just assumed.
Speaker 1: Kind of clear. Yeah, but yeah, no, I mean, I yeah, Hades. I'm liking it so much so far. I'm I'm I do think very very like at this point, I'm just nitpicking. Of course, I do think the home base in Haites one was so much more readable up front, Like the space two there's so much and it's gorgeous. And two there's there's so many little corners that I didn't realize I could even walk into. It's a bit overwhelming at first, Like the first one was just like, oh, a few rooms where you knew exactly where you can go. This is the tavern where he hangs out. This is your your living quarters that you go into, throne room. This is where I forget what his name is, Hypnos not Hypnos, Brad Pitt's Achilles hangs out. So I was like, all right, okay, cool, So now but now the Crossroads is like so much more sprawling. But again, on the flip side, that's kind of I'm more excited to explore it, which at a certain point in Hades won that space I was going back to an emerging from the pool every time got a bit old. So yeah, I can't wait to keep playing this game. I only have two weapons so far, and I'm I'm probably on my sixth run if i was to boot it up after the recording, So it's not like I'm far and whatsoever, but it's it's got a hooks in me for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do think that part of the Crossroads readability issue is that it is outside. It is not clearly defined, yeah, like rooms of a house are. And it does I don't know if it ever gets better, because you kind of just keep adding stuff to the Crossroads as you do more, as you brew more of the incantations, and you know, more characters show up and whatever. But it does get at least you're like, Okay, I know nothing is going on over there. Nothing has ever going one over the walk.
Speaker 2: I've gone up the pool path a million times in which.
Speaker 1: Nothing could be nothing.
Speaker 3: Ever. Yeah, so that's nice and then you eventually do get to decorate it. As you start do more runs, you'll get more stuff to decorate, kind of like the first game, and the customization options are like pretty good. I like a lot of the this. It feels like a worthwhile reward for your efforts times like, yeah, I actually do want to hang these string lights. These look really nice and like I kind of vibe with it. The one big thing that kind of bugs me about eighties two, and I think it gets better with time. But there are a lot of resources. That game asks you to spend a lot of plates all the time, and it's like you're maintaining a garden and you're getting bones and ash and psyche and minerals and weird other like mystical materials that you don't really always know what they're golden used for, golden apple, wool, silver, like just random stuff, and you won't always have options to use them in the incantations pool until you've like progressed certain stories. So there are times I was sitting on like eighty bronze and I'm like, can I get rid of this?
Speaker 1: Do I need this? What do I do with these?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it'll tell you, luckily, now in the when you go to recycle, it'll say like, uh, when you're highlighted over something that's important, it'll say like important resource, like you still need this basically, And there are other ones that won't say that. And it's like you can get rid of these, but.
Speaker 2: Because I unlock the recycling, Yeah, all the fish, I've always saw.
Speaker 3: You there's rubbers, nothing to do with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, also recycling things where yeah, there's the rubbish stuff that the arrest throws out, and I always crash that. But then everything else in that menu I've been afraid to use because it's like, am I going to need this for an incantation or an aspect of a weapon or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, and it's it's always it's hard to tell because you have the book, which is great. The book will tell you like here's how you get this material, here's where you get it. Sometimes it don't even tell you what it might be used for. So I use the book all the time. But when you have like I think like twenty five to thirty different materials at any given places, it's like we go like six right now, Yeah, in between that, and like the fish and like some of the other random bits and bobs you get. It's just like, yeah, all the plants, there's there's got to be twenty different plants like there. It's just it's a lot, and you can ignore ninety percent of it and have a great time with this game. But truly, you can ignore most of the ancillary stuff and just play the game and be like, I'm just playing eighty two. It's a great time. It takes me fifteen minutes to a run. I get to go home after that, like whatever. But when you're trying to like get everything or you want to see certain storylines, you're like, all right, how many man Drakes do I have?
Speaker 1: Do I have the olives?
Speaker 3: Did I get the moper fish?
Speaker 1: Maybe we didn't need all of.
Speaker 2: This, right, I can see that. Yeah, it's not something that actively like impedes my enjoyment of it moment to moment, But like I can't argue that, like there's a good reason why we have this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little silly, but I think all the characters in that game are great.
Speaker 2: It's tremendous. It's gonna be you know. I think about it a lot like Game of the Year type stuff like it I cannot wait to see what these discussions are like, because there are so many fucking games that could have a real shot at like near the top.
Speaker 1: Remember my last year, I think around this time of year, and we'll I think later this episode we'll talk about timing of Game of the Year again. But I told Amanda what I thought would win Game of the Year, so she knew, but like I wasn't so she could then tell me like she could then claim that I was right or wrong last year.
Speaker 2: Like writing on a piece of paper, yea, yeah.
Speaker 1: And what was our game of the year, Like I think I.
Speaker 2: Forgot oh last year? Last year was I never remember?
Speaker 3: Probably it was balatro and yeah, I told that was just a guess that was most.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have gotten Astrobot the game of the year, so I assume no, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Correct last year, but I think all of us kind of expected that. But this year there are several I could see it being Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's probably like four I could.
Speaker 1: Say, yeah, yeah, especially no, I don't want to Uh, I'm not gonna without marry here. I'm not gonna dog on any games. Dan, you played MEGABONK yes, so three d okay? It's three D Vampire Survivors, like an accurate yeah description.
Speaker 2: That's definitely the first thing you would think of when you see it. That's the literal first thing I thought of. I love the way I was introduced this game. I'm sitting on the couch next to Bank my wife. Her name is Bianca. We call her Bonk, and we're both you know, we do a lot of sitting next to each other playing Steam decks and switches, and we.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of sitting next to each other. It's such a romantic.
Speaker 2: Thing, you know, wild, Yeah, sit next to someone on all you want. And she's scrolling through a Steam looking for something to download, and she just chuckles and she's like, look at this. Look at the name of this game and the little megabonk and it was like, oh yeah, it's like your name, Bunk. And then she's like, wait a minute, overwhelmingly positive. And I was like, oh, okay, what's this And She's gonna show me pictures of it and stuff, and I'm like, okay, I'm curious. So I downloaded. It is three D Vampire Survivors, And in these last two weeks, like there's three very distinct modes with all these games coming out, it's like, Okay, if I have a night you know where it's like, I'm gonna sit down. It's a weekend night. I have all the time in the world until I fall asleep, nothing to do tomorrow. I've been playing Yota, where it's like, that's the game I like to sink into. That's not a game I load up for thirty minutes and run around a field and whatever. And so that's why that has not happened as much. It's because that's a commitment. Hades, I feel like the runs are even your best runs are going to be like less than thirty minutes. So it's like, all right, I got an hour before the workday starts, I'll do a run in Hades. But the potent drug of Megabank is that it is Vampire Survivors, but instead of that thirty minute limit, it is ten minutes. So it is very easy to find like, oh, okay, it's ten minutes. I'll do a run before bet, I'll do a run between these things, I'll do whatever. And then it's so easy to just that turns into hours upon hours upon hours. So I have played more Megabank than i've played Hades or Yota as a result, even though I'm telling myself it's just going to be ten minutes, it is just that loop of that Vampire Survivors thing of like, man, I just keep unlocking new weapons, I keep unlocking new characters and this laundry list of quests and everything. Like when it starts, it's very Vampire Survivors where it seems very bare bones and I'm just running around and it's kind of auto shooting everything around me, and like there's things you immediately realize where it's like, oh, being three D, the levels are designed differently. I can jump, which adds a whole different element that Vampire Survivors didn't have. Oh, I can upgrade, so like now I can get double jumps, triple jumps. Now I got a quintuple jump. Ooh, but now I got the scarf that makes it so I do thirty three percent more damage when I'm airborne. So now I'm picking the character the skeleton with a skateboard that moves really fast, and now I'm like just tuple jumping over the entire battlefield, moving fast as fuck, shooting like sniper rifles and throwing bones and bananas down on all these guys and it's fucking awesome, Like you can break that game insane ways. And it does show its hand more as like, Okay, it's not just Vampire Survivors, but in three D it shows you everything that can be added to the experience by giving you that three D space to play around. But yeah, everything is very inspired by vampires, fibers, and like starting very basic. In the new unlock kind of a quest log, you unlock like more and more characters, Like it seems like every time you're playing, it's like, Okay, I got these three unlocked. Now I got this new weapon that can pop up in the run, and it's uh, it's potent is the word I keep thinking of. It is hard to stop playing it in a way that like Hades. I I think objectively Hades is like a better game. I think it'd be hard to argue against that. But it's like I can stop playing Hades because it's like, ah, I can't commit to am if this is a good run that could be thirty plus minutes. You know, I don't have time for that megabonk. It's like that run doesn't count. I can do another ten minutes. That's fine, you can. You can bump megabonk Is that a drug thing?
Speaker 1: Mike Mahartyah, it like bumps a coke.
Speaker 2: I don't need to find so come on, man, we're gonna get kicked off these platforms. What do you talk?
Speaker 1: I think you've been some before, Dan, my goodness, sucking lame o Dan over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, geez, not a bump before, you, little bitch. I have not, actually, so imagine me on cocaine. Can you imagine that's not a good time for one?
Speaker 3: No, that's a valid point, man, It would be a good.
Speaker 1: Time for me.
Speaker 2: You've all been around me a lot. You've all drank with me a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't need cocaine, no one needs it, but that would be fun.
Speaker 2: No, Jesse, I don't think you think you might like to see it.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be a real thing that I want to see it. I know, I know I want to see you. I want to see it. Also, Oh you we both do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've done harder than weed three times, and it's like, well, you fuckers better be ready to babysit.
Speaker 1: Shirt three times like psychedelics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did shrooms twice and Morning Glorious needs once all when I was eighteen, all in dorms, and every time is like everyone cancer, you're playing for the night. You got to just make sure I just don't lose my mind in this bunk bed. For you know, eight hours.
Speaker 1: Harder than weed is just a funny phrase for Dan.
Speaker 2: I think it's like even weed is like I am the most lightweight with weed ever because I could sew up up in my head and everything. So it's just like, yeah, me on coke, I can't even fucking imagine what that's like.
Speaker 1: What if you were just really what if you were actually just really cool on coke? It mellows you like cac Man or like nuclear Gandhi and civilization back to normal and the bottom end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I took the crayon out of Homer's nose. You're not going to get that reference. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: I watched that episode. It was one of the ones you recommended.
Speaker 2: No you didn't, No, I don't know, boy. I mean, there's a cure. In a groundhog day situation where nothing matters and I'm just going to wake up the next day and everything's back to normal. I would do everything because I'm curious.
Speaker 1: That that brings holy shit. I don't remember how we got in this. It was my fault, I think. But I asked Amanda that last time we watched Palm Springs, and we watched that movie like three times a year now. I asked that. I was like, would that with the next day reset any of your addictions.
Speaker 2: You might have been building up? Yeah? I think so, right, but your memory is.
Speaker 1: Up building, like you lose the hangover because the body stuff.
Speaker 2: If there's a chemical dependency, I think I think that would be flushed.
Speaker 1: Your memory is not flushed out. Well, PTSD wouldn't go away. But he's not the horror he witnessed. He does a lot of drugs, he says all the time. Him and JK. Simmons do the We are the ship in the bathtubs. Like I had wondered, like, could you build up a chemical dependency over time in this?
Speaker 2: So I think flushes out that'd be fun. Yeah, it's like loading a save state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be nice, megabo but megabonk Yeah, so it might as well be a little Palm Springs groundhog Day kind of.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is absolutely just like doing every trick video games have learned over the last forty years of making the chemicals in your brain just fireworks go off, you know it is. I am not gonna say it's better him than eighties. I'm certainly not gonna say it's better anything we're talking about here. Uh. It's just something I can't stop playing. And that is in spite of the fact that it is the most lousy with internet humor game I may have ever played. And that is my kryptonite. I hate meme internet humor. So like your bonuses where you get more money is like, oh, stunks, and like one of the characters is Megachad and his base weapon is Aura, and so like that's garlic. But Aura, I'm telling you, trust me, I hate that ship. It's like when you die, it's it's like you dead. Maybe him skill issue, Like I'm telling you, I'm telling you this ship.
Speaker 1: For that reason. I'm out a.
Speaker 2: Testament to how fun the game is that I can look at this stuff that I think is the lamest ship ever and I can be like, Okay, it's still worth playing, but it's it's it's it goes hard into that.
Speaker 3: Would you say that megabunk is certifiably harder than weed?
Speaker 2: Now that they're both legal I think they might be in unequal planes, unless you live in a state where weeds now legal, in which case weed is harder.
Speaker 1: All right, good to know, yuh Jesse, speaking of harder than weed. Tell me about Digimon's story Time Stranger.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 3: So you know, we were just talking about eighties two and how it's a story about the Greek pantheon and you have.
Speaker 1: All these great characters.
Speaker 3: What if I told you digitmon story Time Stranger is also that story is also like, imagine.
Speaker 2: Who's the Zeus of Digimon?
Speaker 3: But no, but actually I don't know who Zeus is, Like who like no, no, no, no, no, no, the analog for Digitimon.
Speaker 1: But what I will say is like, think about Apollo. Right, did you just start explaining Zeus is to him?
Speaker 2: He said, who was guy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I meant in the digit ready to rock with the with the Light version of Zeus.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: So it is a time travel story based on the you know, based on the name. You are in the digital world of Iliad and there's a character named Homerus and you get to hang out with characters like Apollo Mon. So what was there a rocky I wish? Okay, So here's the thing. I actually think the story of this game is pretty good because when you're looking at other games in the genre, like like other Monster Teamer games, is the genre okay, like like Pokemon, Pokemon is. It's an RPG. You collect digitmon you battle them the same way you would like Pokemon. It's all like three three battle.
Speaker 1: I knew what Digimon was, but the way the title is structured, I thought it might be like a graphic novel based.
Speaker 3: No, that's super valid because I realized, like I've just been playing this game for seventy hours and I'm just like, yeah, obviously everyone knows what Digimon's story time strange, but not us. No, cruually not affair shit. So yeah, so it's a it's an RPG, you know in all names. You know, it's you collect monsters, you battle them, You're trying to save the world. It's anime as fuck. It starts off at like very like Slice of Life sort of. You're just kind of walking around Tokyo. You get brought into the digital world, embroiled and things much larger than yourself. That's sort of sort of typical anime. My friends are my power type stuff, But it does punch above its weight. Which I think is really fascinating. When you're look at something like Pokemon, that story is always like kind of whatever for the most part, like no one, it's for you know, it's it's basic, is what I would say. Where Digitmon like tries to tackle more mature problems and like real issues that I'm like fascinated by.
Speaker 2: Did Youmond ever committed suicide?
Speaker 3: You should play digitmon stories Stranger? Oh okay, But the thing I was learning about Digitmon is I watched the show growing up, and I was like, yeah, okay, it's digimon, Like, I don't know, they're just monsters, not as good as Pokemon is kind of think the sentiment around the town. But then when you play the games and you learn about all the other freakos that are in this game, Like, let me just paint you a picture. Okay, do you guys know VV from Final Fantasy nine, Like your typical black mage looking character with like the big yellow eyes eyes pictures picture that, but its body is a revolver and then it's holding two revolvers. His name is Deputymon.
Speaker 1: Nice. Okay, I don't get don't don't get that. I don't either.
Speaker 2: Forty one I'm going to I'm not gonna that's definitely this dude, Jesse. Don't you didn't tell me his body is a revolver.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing I said, you just and he's no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, I wasn't done. His body's a revolver and he's dual wielding revolvers, a cowboy hat and cowboy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his his horse, I was a revolver. But the rest of him is still just like a badass cowboy and he looks like a heartless from Kingdom hearts.
Speaker 3: But now let me tell you. Okay, So there's that guy right like the evolutionist attribute. Sorry, sorry to go for it.
Speaker 1: I'm on, I'm on dis fandoms digimon Dan, are you looking at this too? Look at his character at the top of his wiki Pasi and his attribute is vaccine.
Speaker 2: What his family is virus pro. He's very pro vaccine.
Speaker 1: His size is just twenty g. It's like his Wait, his next form is superstar on. Let's look at superstar. Click on his next.
Speaker 2: Form superstar on.
Speaker 1: It's just a fucking batas star with sunglasses.
Speaker 2: And box Holy shit, he's got like wrestler boots and tassels.
Speaker 3: This is just this is like just the baseline, Like this game is four hundred and fifty of this.
Speaker 1: So it's Pokemon, but the base Pokemon is.
Speaker 2: Hang on, Like there are.
Speaker 3: Like normal like baby creature looking digimon, but then there's also a digitmon that's literally just like a construction crane with eyes. I think it's called break dramon. Like it's just like, did Youimon have like a really weird evolution path where it's like creature to like just a machine gun.
Speaker 1: Wondering what is the weirdest digimon you know?
Speaker 2: Hang on, Okay, it's looking. Prior forms of Deputy Moon are Star Moon and superstar On. So wait, is it that he was a star with sunglasses and he evolved into being a deputy like a sheriff star like a badge? Is that the connection?
Speaker 3: Sometimes there is no connection, especially in the games, because there's branching evolution lines. You get to kind of pick and choose where you want to go. So the games like really break away from like the anime where there's this like set like like Pikachu evolves into Ryo Chew. It's like not like that or set. Digimon is all over the place.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at golf man right now, Jesse, this is dangerous that you introduced me to deputy.
Speaker 3: Look up, look up gun dram on just on g U N d r A m O N. This guy was in my party the entire game once.
Speaker 2: I that's a lot of it's a fucking guy another but every appendage and more is revolvers.
Speaker 1: Is this dick a revolver? It kind of looks like his guns on him.
Speaker 2: I don't see a dick.
Speaker 1: I see one. No, it's not a no, I see one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I is digimon cool.
Speaker 3: I need to teach you the other half of digitmon, where where I think we're going to get Dan out of digitmon, because this is where digitmon gets really confusing, because what you're looking at right now is certifiably just a mode weird weird thing that exists.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Look up bel b e E L storm on one word.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it's like on the top with a lot of bullets flying around her.
Speaker 2: Talking like bett.
Speaker 1: Just a woman, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, But like there's a head that's like a cool shark head floating around and then it looks like a shoot shark head.
Speaker 3: Which one you're looking at because.
Speaker 1: He's in a like a Zanya outfit. We're looking at the same thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the thing that's above are you looking at the fandom.
Speaker 2: I'm looking so that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's it's.
Speaker 3: The thing above her and like those are just bullets like otherwise it's like just a woman with two revolvers and like a mask.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think I see the woman and that is going to get Dan out of digimon.
Speaker 1: Well so I was.
Speaker 3: It's it's less interesting when a lot of digitmon are also just like humans wearing gotcha like like it starts as a creature and then it becomes just like a human.
Speaker 1: Like in a mech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at Mitos Simon Bee now and he's just like a vampire guy, Like he just looks like a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of those, But then there's also a lot of your like deputy moons, right, like I think break like I said, break Tramonts just like a crane. Like, there's a lot of volcanessman or whatever. It's like a dude inside of like a suit that loves action figures. Like there's a lot of weird things going on all the time. But yeah, so then there's like the Olympos twelve, which are their version of the Pantheon, and it's just like, here's a guy named Apollo Mon who shoots fire out of his wrist and he's this like big red creature mech robot thing, and they made a whole game about that, and it's surprisingly pretty good.
Speaker 2: There's more fun terms like I don't know how deep you go here? Can you tell me about the Digi Egg of Miracles?
Speaker 3: I can tell you about the digit Egg of sincerity?
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: Please do please do no.
Speaker 3: I actually like all I know about the eggs is that they are used to digivolve certain digimon. I don't I'm sure there's like a lower reason for it. Okay, I don't know what that is. Okay, I know I can go to a vendor in the game and buy them, and that's about all I know about them.
Speaker 1: Is this like what it feels like when I talk about wine. This is cool as possible.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna show myself getting I could see myself getting into digimon more than I could see myself getting into Like I like wine. You've made me a wine, like I enjoy a nice night with a bottle of wine. But I could if you showed me this shit when I was nine, I would never I would have multiple digitmon tattoos. At this point, I think, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think a nine year old get into wine.
Speaker 2: Regardless.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to just saying what it's I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm just that Revolver Man did something. Yeah, that was very cool. Oh I felt it. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yes, imagine playing sixty hours of that and then having to come out the other side and like, yeah, I'm I'm I'm good, Like everything's fine, everything's cool because it's it's a lot, But I do like him comes out on Friday.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 3: If you like RPG's, I think it's a good one of those. If you've got time for sixty hours of a game in your life.
Speaker 2: Who's avenge Kidmon?
Speaker 1: I think Dan, you're more into the idea of Digimon than you would be into playing this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I play it for ten minutes and be like, I think that's been generous. I think it's just the gun guy really got me going on that.
Speaker 3: The dialogue is cheesy and very exposition heavy, like no one really talks like that. Okay, ever, but when it gets to its heart, it has like an emotional core to it that I appreciate. Okay, I just like making the weirdest guy I can.
Speaker 2: Is it a big thing now, because like Pokemon is still a big thing? Is did you mind? Like when I feel like I was hearing about the most it was like the maybe early mid two thousands. Is it still a thing? Is it a force?
Speaker 3: I think it's it's got it's like core audience that shows up for games like this. So Digitmon story Cyber Sleuth was the last Digitmon story game, and that was about a decade ago, and that one only got localized and brought over here because there was such like a fan outcry for it because it was only released in Japan, and then they did like a very low budget localization and brought it over alongside his DLC. I think it was called Hacker's Memory. So this is the first time like a Digitmon story game has kind of had a budget behind it and come to the West. So there are a lot of people very excited for that.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 1: Totally cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but well, what's it.
Speaker 3: On PlayStation Xbox PC? I think it's coming to switch. Don't quote me on that. Okay, I played it on PlayStation.
Speaker 4: It ran fine, nice, right, Dan, I know a lot more about digitmand than I did before.
Speaker 1: Then you play Baby Steps.
Speaker 2: I played a little bit idy Foddy. Yeah. I think this is one of those rare games that I would watch more than I would play because I am not particularly patient. I appreciate the like, you know, I'm a platformer guy. I love platformers, and like, this is not a platformer, but it is very much to just like you know, we say Dewey games here where it's like all you're doing is doing stuff here, you're just walking, and it's like, again, I'm not a traditional platformer, but it is like how am I going to position myself on this to get this next platform? And things like that. And I got maybe an hour into it and I slipped on a rock that was in like a running thing of water and I kind of fell into a waterfall and it sent me down. I was like, okay, hah, it's gonna you know, checkpoint me or whatever and send me back up. And I realized like, oh no, no, it's it just keeps going. I need to like go all the way back up there. And I think I did a whole loop around a mountain before I realized that, and I was like, oh, okay, well, I'm never playing this again. I'm not I already did that. I'm not going all the way up there again. And then I realized, like that is like the appeal. Like I've been watching Grub, and Grub is someone who is like, look, he's got kids. He is a patient man in a way I am at And he got to this part that's called the Man Breaker, and it's this mountain near the end of the game, and it's just this insane fucking mountain that it's so many specific little footholds you have to go up, which the way you control this is like it's left trigger and right trigger, like left your left and right legs, and then you like lean with the analog stick to walk. So it's a very novel You're not just holding up and pressing aight a step or anything like that. It's very very coop, very getting over it. And I've watched Grub now several of these mornings, like before the workday like officially starts hell Stream into a giant bomb, and I've just been watching it like I can't look away, you know, like I'll pull it up on my phone while I'm eating breakfast, and I'm just like, it's just like gripping, because like, you know, literally one wrong step and he can just fall off a mountain and have to start over. And I deeply respect both the game for that type of commitment to the bit, and also anyone who plays it and is willing to like when they fall down that far, be like all right, back at it. You know, I'm not strong enough to like go back and be like, all right, I'm just spend another hour climbing this mountain to get back to our I was and maybe fall down again with no checkpoints whatsoever. So it's a game I deeply respect and do not want to play basically.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, I'm right there with you. I don't even want to watch it. I'm sure Jeff Grub's dedicated and very skilled at it, but I don't.
Speaker 2: He's both those things. Yeah, you get to really this guy gets a real sweaty ass and people live. I saw the chat say that he's kicked up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Jeff Grubb or the character.
Speaker 2: I think they've been referring to the character. He wears a onesie and he gets the real sweaty ass.
Speaker 1: I thought you're talking about it.
Speaker 2: Grub Yeah, I don't know rub butt some grubbs butt really now. But yeah, Nate the character and baby steps caked up as they say. But no, it seems like a great game for what it's doing. I don't want to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that whole subgenre is not up my alley.
Speaker 2: No, all the like going up or even the old Ben and fotty stuff and everything like, yeah, I love the idea, just cannot do it. I don't even like the idea. I respect the idea.
Speaker 3: I beat getting over it, and I was like, okay, cool, I never have to play one of these games ever again. Like I had my sense of accomplishment, have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah that that that's oh man, I'm I'm gonna piss people off with this one. With that kind of game, I feel like once you grasp it, Dan, I feel like you have a sane approach to it. Once you get it, you're like, okay, I don't this is not where I want to find sand. Yeah. I I think I think video games are a great use of time. I think I think that they can provide a lot of entertainment. They can they can be up doingies for growth. I also don't think they need to justify themselves. I don't need like to look at like my time with games, those foightying games, I actually question why the fuck? There's so many better things you could be doing than that, and I don't I'm please please call me out if that's a shitty take.
Speaker 2: No, I think there's a right amount of it, like for me, And again it's personal preference, like Grub seems to be loving it.
Speaker 1: If you're enjoying it, that's all that matters. Like I who am I to say like you're not, you shouldn't enjoy that. If you're enjoying something, then obviously that's worth the time.
Speaker 2: But I mean compared to something like Hades two, where it's like what are you doing in Hades two or any rogue light but doing the same thing over and over and trying to get better at it? And yeah sure. The difference though to me is that something like a Hades too is like the rogue light element where it's like, Okay, I am getting actual tangible things that are helping me progress here, Like this acts, I've upgraded a little more to get a little further. I've made it so there's some healing points along the way, you know, like whereas Baby Steps is literally just like hey, fucking get back up there. You know, it's a I think that would be disheartening to me, where it's like Haites, even if I die, it's the last boss, I feel like progress was made.
Speaker 1: And you could argue that you're making like intangible progress in baby Steps in the sense that you are learning more like in a Oh, then in Early Dark Souls or something where it's like you're not actually progressing because you didn't upgrade anything, but you're still getting knowledge, like yeah, yeah, yeah, and out of wilds I get, but I'm still getting a reward from exploring it. Where it's like there's a there's a like asceticism or I don't know if that's the word, but like a spartan vibe to the the foudy and thing where it's like, but this is just almost masochistic.
Speaker 2: So a perfect example of that is the Man Breaker. That mountain they very much show you when you go up there, there is a winding staircase that goes all the way to the top, and it's not like necessarily easy. You still got to kind of wrestle with the goofy controls to get up to the top, but like it is probably again I have not gotten that bar, but it seems like that's the easy route, and it seems to be put there specifically to be like it seems like the whole metaphor is a game. But oh, one foot in the other in front of the other, accomplished hard things and stuff, and it's like, Okay, the stairs are the easy way, and I've seen Grub look at that and be like I will not fucking touch that. I will not go up that, Like it is there to taunt you, and like if you start going up there, it seems like a character talks to you and it's like, oh yeah, yeah, you're taking the easy way, like oh yeah, that's the man breaker, that's the one that everyone struggles with, you know. Like so it it's like and it's later in the game, so at that point you've already overcome so many obstacles and everything that it's like, I'm not going to take the easy way now. So like I'm sure there's a deeper metaphor there and everything that like it's kind of clever, but it still does not seem fun to play. Oh sure, there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: People love that that kind of game, So like, I get that there's I'm not the audience, but I also sometimes I'm like, oh man, maybe it's because it in Haites that there's like such immediate quick feedback loop and run to run or something like that. So yeah, totally all right, I get it.
Speaker 2: It's a cool thing. I'm very glad it exists. Yeah, I think it's doing the thing it's set out to do perfectly right.
Speaker 1: Uh, do you guys want to talk about emails the concept?
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, as usual, you can ride into firescape cast at gmail dot com. That is, Fireescape cast at gmail dot com. Questions that you want to be read on the show, Dan, do you want to read this? First one? From Darien?
Speaker 2: Sure? I remember back in the odds there were articles and stuff going around about how boss fights were bad and always bad, and that no game should have boss fights. Now they're a cornerstone of some of the most loved franchises in the world. Can you think of any similar opinions that didn't really hold up? Cheers Daring from Toronto. First off, that is a dumb, fucking opinion. Boss fights have been amazing since the first video games I've ever played, and like like you mentioned here nowadays, yeah, between silk song from games and everything like boss fights, that that is a fucking cornerstone of this is just boss fights. Yeah, And I feel like that's the thing that, like, you know, when you think of people who don't even play video games, that they associate with video games, you know, it's like, uh, one ups and extra lives and stuff are like you know, the Rock when he came back to wrestling, he was like, Oh, the Final Boss was this whole thing, and it's just like that, that is a that nomenclature and everything is part of video games for a reason because they're fucking fun, don't Yeah, that's a stud I don't even remember that discourse at all, the early odds that would have been pre social media. I don't even know e Bomb's world forums. I don't know where people.
Speaker 1: All hell yeah banana phone or hello fuck. It was one of my favorite early videos. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: No, but it sounds like something that's just a.
Speaker 1: Guy I hung over. I think he was hungover. He woke up and his phones ring in somewhere in a like really messy dorm room and he keeps picking up random item and saying hello. Fuck when he realized was on the phone, and he did like.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's your whole bit with the barbecue ribs, and yeah, I've seen the whole that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this was like he was pissed off that it wasn't a phone every time he picked up a shoe or a dildo or I don't know. Yeah, this just was self serving because I think I talked about this recently, I since I first played a Banjo Kazui and Tooey. This isn't really like a discourse that I think was a bad opinion. This is more something I have. It takes a big man to admit that you know, he was mistaken. It takes a really brave person to like, you know, change course on something. So I guess, you know, I guess I'll leave it up to you guys if you want. If you think I'm like a cool, like really cool person for saying this. But I used to think Banjo Touey was better than Kazui. I was way fucking off. I was very off. I've replayed about actively the last five years, and I was confident and my argument was that Banjo Tui. I liked the fact that the Metroidvania aspects, actually, you know, it dictated that you had to go back to worlds after you had gathered an ability or an upgrade from this world. I went back, and Banjo Toue is just like, objectively a terrible game in some respects, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's laborious. I did not play those games until like the pandemic and I streamed him and I one hundred percent of Banjo Kazuei, and I was like, this is fucking great. I really missed out back then. And then I started toohey with all the enthusiasm of the world, and very quickly I was like, oh no, they they their eyes are bigger than their stomach. You know, they tried too much.
Speaker 1: Heart was in the right place, because it's like, oh, well, okay, well, if you put this hungry, crying, throwing a tantrum kid in a mind cart in the theme park, he's going to go off into this tunnel and you're like, all right, where do you go? You find out that he it's like the three worlds later you find them. But in order to go back and complete the quest, you need to go back and there's no fast travel, there's there there's really annoying things to move around the world. I I replayed those recently. That was back when I was still streaming on my own individual channel and I played Twoey and I kept telling people every episode I started, like this game is this sucks and not having fun.
Speaker 3: The game kind of shows a tan though, because that game's opening moves at a glacial pace like it is. It is a long intro for that game, and then by the time you get into it, you're like, yeah, now we're in it. Now we're gonna we're gonna we're gonna be doing banjo Kazooi things, We're gonna be cooking. And then you're like, oh no. The whole game kind of moves like this, Okay, they're trying to do too much here and it's not exactly where it needs to be. But you play Banjo kazoe and that's just SKA the video game, Like it's just there's explain all right. When you think of Ska, right, you think of a lot of horns, you think of a lot of a beat music. You play banjo Kazooi and it feels like your brain is on fire. It feels like there's just so much happening all the time. You're doing backflips, you're you're running around or whatever. The music is very sky like. It's it's a lot of like.
Speaker 1: You know, the Grant Kirk Hope was just listening at Scott when he.
Speaker 3: Was just he was just yeah, it's like, so you put Real big Fish in that soundtrack, and it's like, yeah, this is Banjo Kazui.
Speaker 2: I got this.
Speaker 1: I know what. I know what's up?
Speaker 2: Okay, I see it.
Speaker 3: Next time you play Banjo Kazu, we put some ska on and you'll you'll know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't like you say that like it's that simple. It really is like put skat.
Speaker 1: On Scott on Spotify, just like, yeah, just ska.
Speaker 2: Man is real big Fish to go to? No.
Speaker 1: It was my math teacher's sons band in ninth grade. Apparently they blew up a bit for Syracuse standards and.
Speaker 2: I went to a gold Finger. I went to a gold Finger and Real big Fish concert once. And I've been to a Warp tour.
Speaker 4: Just like Banjo KAZUOI exactly, it's like living the game what other what other video game opinions are bad that we like, Yeah, discourse.
Speaker 2: The thing is there is a billion that are just like one dumb ass on Twitter or Blue Sky. I want I want something like agreed upon. Yeah, oh that's interesting. There's so many stupid things that came and went like do.
Speaker 1: One or or pick one person and then take an opinion of theirs. Ben Hanson, what's an opinion? Ben Hanson's had that was just stupid?
Speaker 2: Tank Tank Tank was the best game of the WU launch. That's so stupid, which again not a great launch, but there was new Super Mario Brothers you which you know, it's one of those new Super Mario Brothers games. It's it's an objectively good game, not one of the best Mario games by any means, but like better than Tank Tank Tank. Ben Hansson has a lot of weird takes over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to actually fan those flames. Jesse, what is your We've asked this, people have asked us this before. What's your like, what's a what's a what's a video game? Take the It would piss us off that you have and you believe Yeah, no.
Speaker 3: One that I hold deer currently. I don't know if this would piss you too off. But like, I think Death Riding two is actually a very bad video game, ently like way worse than the first one in almost every I think it's a I think it's a mediocre game.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you and I talked a little bit pre released about this, and I can tell you weren't quite as hot on it as me.
Speaker 1: No, I mean open world game with really cool tools.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it feels like they learned all the wrong lessons from the director's cut and then made a sequel and it was like where's the friction? Where's like where's that like that you you want to just climb that mountain? You want it to be this like perilous journey, and there's like, now here's the truck. We give you like ten hours in like you just that truck can get you anywhere you want.
Speaker 2: Sounds like steps in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: I do want baby steps, but I also want baby steps with all.
Speaker 1: The Kajima bullshit.
Speaker 2: That's fair, understand.
Speaker 1: I want I want you're talking to you're talking to the two who argued for Death Raining one, but uh, somebody we know thought it wasn't eligible.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty three, or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was because director is not on the podcast was eligible apparently, you know what I think.
Speaker 2: I think Silk Songs not that great. Wonder what the consensus is going to be by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: I think Silk Songs fucking blown up. But I think Team Cherry is not nearly as smart as we all think they are. I think Team Cherry is actually not that great at developing video games. Jesse, you're going all out, Yeah, so silk so legitimately the Silk Song defender. No, No, I like Marry like Silk Song quite a bit. I think Silk Song's.
Speaker 2: Not that great.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Jesse's going to be interesting. No, no, no, no, I think I I literally said my piece in the last episode. I was like, I think Silk Song is incredible at certain moments, but I think those moments the payoff makes you forgive a lot of bad game design leading up to it, and then we kind of think, oh, Team Cherry, it was intentional all along, these indie developers toiling away obscure. No, I'm just I'm We're getting ahead and I don't know the blue sky. Yes, no, no, I think Folk Song is a good game.
Speaker 3: I do have another maybe hot video game do it. I think the boss fights are the worst parts of Soul's Lakes, Like, I inherently think they're the least interesting part of that entire franchise structurally.
Speaker 1: I think I might agree with you because I think the games are at their most brilliant in between and also when you're like connecting the world via the checkpoints and whatnot. Not that that's what you're saying, but that's kind of where I'm coming from.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's also where I'm coming from. I think the world design is like way more interesting, and I'd rather run around that world than get stuck on a boss for five hours and then be like, I don't get to enjoy the interesting parts of this game anymore. Now, I just have to do like a pattern recognition check.
Speaker 2: Jesse. I think I'm with you because I think about this slight. Here's maybe my hot take. I think maybe the whole from format a little overrated. I think it's maybe not like everyone looks at it as like, oh, this is the new trailblazer for a game genre here outside of elden Ring, which I do. I will give elden Ring all the credit in the world. I think that's one of the best games of all time. But again, the beauty of elden Ring is in the discovery and the exploration and running around that world and the moments in between the parts I really don't love. It's like, Okay, I'm fighting the Red Giant, I'm just dying a million times, and it's like every boss fight is just me dying a million times. And it's not even like satisfying in a silk Song way. All the stuff I love about elden Ring is just oh, I got warped across the map and holy shit, the map is so huge, and like just the freedom part of it, and that's why it's like Bloodborne, Dark Souls and stuff like that. I respect those games, but I don't really like playing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I totally agree with that. You lost me because I love a lot. Bloodborn is one of my favorite games of all time, But like, yeah, I think, I think a lot of what they're doing gets kind of wrung out by the time they do it for the fifth time. Now now I'm mapped up.
Speaker 2: What else do I fucking want to? What else do I hate video games?
Speaker 1: It's something I disliked that a lot of people liked.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've always said that about Assassin's Creed, but I don't think that's a hot take anymore because I think at this point so many people are tired of Assassin's Creeds.
Speaker 1: Is the first I think my hot take is I'm still in love with Assassin's Creed. Like I still like that series. Okay, I didn't have to play it for guides granted, but like, I still I.
Speaker 3: Still like Shadows, Like even despite all of that, Like I think, oh, I think that game is a hell of a game. It's my one problem with Shadows, not to go in too much of a tangent, is there's too much foliage. Like when you're running through trees for like ten minutes, you can't see anything.
Speaker 1: Maybe we didn't need this.
Speaker 3: It looks great, but like this is kind of just bad.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's the world apart. But it doesn't make for good gameplay when you're trying, Like you can escape into the woods initially, which is fun, but then after that it's like, oh, they're actually like separating the individual settlements with just dense trees, which makes sense for the setting, but also they've been toying with the setting for since ac one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if this is more of a hot take or an old man take or both, but it's the kids today, and I think when I start that way, it probably goes in the kids old man mode. When you think about them aging and thinking about games. They are playing Roadblocks, they are playing Fortnite, they were playing these kind of platform based, online, ever changing experiences. They are not going to be able to kind of have that appreciation, appreciation and revisit these games of their youth in the way that like, look, I can load up Mario. I loaded up Mario three two days ago and played a good amount of that and it's still great. I wonder what that's going to do to kids growing up loving games now that like that retro kind of nostalgia type thing isn't like you'll get the occasional like oh, Fortnite OG mode or World of Warcraft Classic or whatever, but like you're not going to be able to just like emulate or collect or revisit their youth the way they are now. And I think they're kind of getting robbed of that, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing where it's like it's one of those things where they grew up so differently than us than I don't think it will even compute with them how special it was for us to be able to do that. For them, No, there will be some sort of nostalgia for them in a way that we don't even understand yet.
Speaker 2: Like they will talk about it, and they will like they will sit around in their dorm rooms and be like, oh, remember you know Roeblogs when we were in like third grade, when this would happened.
Speaker 1: That's like currently happening.
Speaker 3: It's the reason fortnite OG exists, right, is like you'd all these people being like, oh, remember Fortnite Season three, Like that's back when it was peak, and like they're talking about it and it's like a it's a bygone era because you can't play that version of that game anymore. And then Fortnite OG comes back and they're like sure, oh, but it's like not really what I remember it to be. And it's like they're going through all the same mode that you do when you like revisit something that you loved from the past, and it's like, yeah, you're you're looking back with like rose colored glasses. You love the experience the memory of it, but then you play the game and you're like, oh, it's actually like not that great. It's like it was never about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's an aspect of like I do wonder how they're going to preserve it in a way that someone might be able to go back play their favorite Roadblocks experience in fifteen years. I don't know how long it takes for nostalgia to kick in, or I don't know how long it takes for an experience to become more nostalgia than an actual, like recent memory.
Speaker 2: But I feel like when for like, look, you're not going to recreate the like you know, pulling a CRT in an Xbox and getting sixteen friends in a room and playing Blood Gold, Capture of the Flag, Halo or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, and that's amazing.
Speaker 2: They can make the master Chief collection and you can play that game online everything. You can't recreate those actual childhood memories. But like, yeah, I don't even think you can do that with a Roadblock or something, you know, like just a weird obscure, just you know, user created maps and stuff like that. I just I don't know if that's a lost.
Speaker 1: Private servers baby, that'd be fun though, actually doing a system link for Halo two at some point like physically setting one up again.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, it was amazing in our dorms, Like it was before the three sixty came out. It was Halo one. You could fucking plug the Ethernet accord or whatever it was from the Xbox into your dorm room wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that the local area network. It.
Speaker 2: Yes, it wasn't just the dorm I lived in. It was all five dorms on the hill and got Ku and then even ones further away, and all of it was on the same network. So that was for that was before Xbox Live. That was for any of that. And you could just play Halo one with anyone in any dorm in the city, and like that was just such an interesting like this is before way before iPhones and stuff like that. So you're just calling friends up being like, oh yeah, so we're gonna get on this local area network thing, and that was that was awesome. There's there's no way to recreate that. Why why would you, you know.
Speaker 1: Did you ever develop like a rivalry with a specific dorm.
Speaker 2: Or it was more just like dorms had their certain reputations. Oh, Naysmith is the rich kid. Dorms I lived in Hashingar, which is like the weird art kid dorm. Yeah, so like this is like kind of the future frack.
Speaker 1: I've always called you when you weren't, you know, behind your back.
Speaker 2: I did. I kind of hated it, just a bunch of very preticulous, Like every time I walked into the dorm past five pm there were like three guys with shaggy hair, like playing acoustic guitars.
Speaker 1: And is the guy leans in your doorways like local Area Network purports to be about connection, but really it's just all isolation and then he goes to bed.
Speaker 2: That's not even an exaggeration.
Speaker 3: In drug rugs, playing hacky sack like just.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, but yeah, team Cherry needs design lessons, all right, next to Emil, all right, this is kind of a rapid fire. It's a few questions in one from Jeff all right, sup FBC, long time, first time here. Love the show, love the opinions, and I pretty much buy video games based on what's talked about on the podcast because of different facets, your own personalities and likes dislikes that match mine. You make it too easy anyway. Some questions subtitles, I always have them on video games, movies, TV shows, sports don't give a fuck they get turned off. Opinions.
Speaker 2: Video games, yes, uh, because that can really help because, like you know, you're not necessarily like hearing everything they say as you drive from point to point, and it's good to see that. Movies, I don't. I don't do it with movies video games. It's a special case because, like I'm streaming them so often with work and everything that like it's better for the viewer to have the subtitles on. So I do default to turn those on. But I'll never do it for movie, never do it for TV show unless it's a thing with heavy accents. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, I've come around and watching subtitles for like long form TV because you can miss so things so easily that like last time we watched we rewatched The Wire, We're now rewatching The Wire again. That show. I mean, there are so many different dialects in that show, because I think the great thing about that show is that they're covering so many different sects of the city that people are speaking differently within their different bubbles. And also that show loads so much information into one scene. We had the subtitles on last time, We're like, holy fuck, I've never caught that before. Oh my god, this scene has so much more gravitas to it, because even like Bunk and McNulty, some of their scenes when they're talking and we're rewatching the show right now towards the end of season two, and even that season, I'm appreciating much much more because I know the stakes of what's going on, because I didn't understand the Greek or some of the things that like Horse was saying to Frank Sabaka or whatever. But like I've come around on them. With TV movies, I still because they're so short form and I'm not as worried about catching every little nugget of information. I don't use them for movies. But what did I just watch recently? Sinners? Finally watched Sinners, great movie, fucking rules. Yes, there was a few scenes where I went back and turn on the subtitles because I wanted to hear every lass like piece of information. But like there are certain movies when you're like Annihilation, I don't necessarily need subtitles because I'm not there for like the dialogue. Well that that movie has great dialogue, but I'm there more for the vibes of that movie, even though it's the best movie ever made. I don't need to know every little piece of information, but like, yeah, I've come around on subtitles, although in games Ghosts of Yote, I will say I kind of regret picking Japanese voice acting English subtitles. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the thing. Like I keep getting asked that in like comments like you're playing this or this night, I'm just doing English voices English subtitle.
Speaker 1: I kind of wish I did, and here's why. And when I'm when given that choice, I almost always pick whatever is diegetic to the setting, like I'll pick oh yeah, And I don't regret it when during cutscenes Gusta Yote and I should have mentioned this earlier in the episode, that's not I don't think it's a knock on it. I think it's just a knock on me not speaking Japanese. They there's some dialogue during fights or while I'm riding my horse trying to aim for the flowers, where there's like I don't understand Japanese. So I'm trying to read the subtitles while doing all this stuff in the world, and I can't read it. I have to go read and then like be like fuck and steer my horse back into the white flowers and shit like that, or during a fight, to be clear, I understand how to fucking swing this giant, two handed fucking sword while I'm reading. But there's a lot going on in some of the combat in this game, to the point where like I can't see every badass line that Odds says but likes.
Speaker 2: Also a weird thing where it's like in Ghost of Yota, the the melee stuff, it's got to like blue glint, a red glen, yellow glen stuff, and that's clearer how to respond to that. But the way they dealt with the range guys, like the guns and the bon and arrows, like they just yell before it, and so it's like ah and then throw and it's.
Speaker 1: Like the friends yeah and they fucking yeah. This doesn't feel really realistic. I don't. Yeah, I don't think Lego Loos was like here it comes gunn yeah, get ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't like fault them fully for trying to find some way that doesn't just clutter it even more visually.
Speaker 2: It's a video game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I use subtitles for most things, games, especially because most of the time I'm playing games usually on Discord with friends, and so if I don't have subtitles on it, I miss something. I'm like, I can't do two things so much with the subtitles. A second, like read some some dial or something.
Speaker 2: But just that's something I keep hearing about now, is like people just like hanging out in like Discord voice servers, and like I I think I probably know a bunch of the guys you're talking about that you're in these things with, and I've never done that. Piece of ship Carson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my message right now is Mike says, fuck you, Okay, I love that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like are are we're talking about? Like there's like six people playing video games and you all have just open mics and you're all playing different stuff and chatting. I mean that sounds fun. I just that seems like such a It.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound like you think it sounds fun, danced because like you're doing that's amazing. But like.
Speaker 2: Because I'm thinking about like a lot of times, like I was talking about, like being Beyonca, well be sitting down both playing our steam deck games, or.
Speaker 1: You're sitting next to each other when you're separate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking and stuff, but it seems like maybe that type of thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well it's this idea, right, like how many times have you like gone to a friend's house or had a friend over when you were younger and one of you is just playing a single player game or the other person is like, well, what do I do? I guess I just watch you play. This is like everyone gets their screen time. Everybody's in their enclosure, everyone's in their own space. But then we get to like talk to each other like also while that's going on, and like sometimes we'll toss streams up, so it's like everyone's able to like watch each other's gameplay. So there are some nights where I've got six different video games being streamed to me at once, and am I paying attention to all of them?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But I have them up and it's like this nice communal night that we're all having where you know, we might be quiet for twenty minutes and then we might go off the rails for thirty five minutes and then we all go back to play in our games.
Speaker 2: That sounds fun, it's a good time.
Speaker 1: It's very like a.
Speaker 2: More recent thing, like I don't think that really was happening ten years ago.
Speaker 3: No, No, not at all, but it is the reason I have to put subtitles on when I play a game, and because if like I said, like if I have six people blaring Discord soundboards in my ear and I'm trying to watch a Ghost of Yota cut scene, like it's I gotta be able to read what's happening with movies. Though It's like I don't really have subtitles. My roommates like subtitles a lot, so like it really is just based on like if they're watching with me or not. And then TV, especially like I think Game of Thrones really changed me on this. I had to have subtitles on for Game of Thrones because it helped reinforce a lot of like proper nouns, you know, regions, character names, like because there's so many that that game, that show is so dense with information that I just needed the reinforcement, the visual reinforcement of being able to read those names.
Speaker 1: I'm also very much like a visual learner, like that's my that's how I build my memory lexicon. Seeing names helped a lot with shows like that or again, like the Wire, same thing. There's so many characters. I'm like, all right, this is okay. I got to know Bunk or Russell from season two. I'm like, I wouldn't have known who they were if it wasn't for the fact that, you know, like the show is well written, so it's not like they're saying, hey, Russell, remember when you told me that thing last episode, Like, I'm I need to know who they are, so it helps a lot to have that.
Speaker 2: Deadwood is another one, oh yeah, where it's a really dense dialogue and a bunch of characters and stuff, and it does just kind of help with that, so it is kind of like a show by show basis.
Speaker 1: Then Deadwood's really good, Deadwood's fuck, it's good. Russ Frushtick convinced me to rewatch. I started it back in the day and then uh, when I came to Pobaly gond rushed it is like it's a slow burn, but it's got one of the best several payoffs in like TV history, and I rewatched it. I'm like, oh my god, it's it's.
Speaker 2: The three times now I have watched the show and I had a poster that show in my fucking college department. I love it, but I every time I get to two or three episodes in the season three and I fall off, and not because it's bad. It all seems good. I cannot explain it, but i've I didn't and Bianc had not seen it, and so a few years ago it's like, Okay, I'm gonna do this. It was around the time the movie was coming out on HBO, which is a very good movie. Yeah it was great, but it was like, Okay, I'm gonna watch all the way through five. I've never seen season three outside of the first couple episodes, and we did the same fucking thing where we got like two episodes in and then we just watched the movie. And I still haven't seen most of season three, and it's like, I love that show. I cannot explain why I haven't seen it. Like it's good, right, Mike, like the season three?
Speaker 1: Yes, I like it quite a bit. It's not my favorite of the show, but it's definitely good.
Speaker 2: We did that with A Wire or two, where we watched because I've seen The Wires several times and probably the best show ever, and we got through. We watched the first four seasons pretty quickly, and then I think we watched like the first one of season five and then fell off five five. There's moments in five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five's like rightfully criticized being self indulgent on Simon's part. He was, you know, a Baltimore Sun reporter, and then the fifth season was about journalists.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do think the media was integral to the story they were telling. I just think it got a bit too in the weeds. I didn't mind because that like I came up watching that show and be like, oh, yeah, I want to be a you know, a journalist. This is awesome, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think that's one of the weaker seasons. Rewatching the show, I think season two is actually way better than I ever gave it credit for.
Speaker 2: And I always liked season two. Iat.
Speaker 1: I get why people initially were like what the fuck are they doing before they saw what they were actually going forward with the whole thing, but like this is.
Speaker 2: Totally different, but like I think it's it's they were looking at several different aspects of the city and crime and it and like what an interesting take on like just the docs And for.
Speaker 1: The first like two episodes, you're like, why the fuck do we care about these Steve it or doc workers like and of course, and again initially the show is like, why the fuck do we care about what all these like white Baltimore dudes are doing? Like I was watching like I was watching these like like you know, these characters that I had gotten to love and like they were their whole thing was like playing the game with the cops everything. And then all of a sudden, like why do what do the Steve Lers have to do with it? You realize later on they're like essential to the story. Oh it's really good. I'm rewatching again. It's still incredible. All right, I still got more from Jeff. All Right, we kind of just actually touched on this sound in video games. I'm on my second playthrough of Tiers of the Kingdom and put one hundred and fifty hours the first time around. I have never heard the in game soundtrack. Video game time is my time away from family and kids, so I like to listen to my own music, drink some drinks and escape. Donkey Kong Bonanza, no sound, Breath of the Wild, Tears the Kingdom, no sound, And am I a monster for this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So so he said no sound, I think he means music.
Speaker 2: He's saying no sound, but he said, I've.
Speaker 1: Never heard the in game soundtrack after Tears of the.
Speaker 2: King either way, Like you know what this this track, this goes right into a previous question about bad takes, and I remember, I think it was Stephen Tatillo had a thing around the first Red Dead Redemption saying that like he did he listened to podcasts or you never listened to like the music and return the music off and red dipdemption, and he got a lot of shit for it because it's like, oh my god, like you know Red Dead Redemption, those musical moments, like you know, those few times they bring in an actual song and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're crossing into Mexico, the yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like those are the things some of the things I remember the most about that game. And two two did the same thing, unshaking yeah, yeah, yeah, And I remember he got a lot of ship for that back in the day. And the thing is, I don't even want to say that age poorly because I think at the time he got a ton of shit for it. But I guess it is a personal preference thing, like what Jeff is saying here, But like it's kind of crazy to me, you know, that's the part that's a huge part of it. Like when you think about like when we used to score games, it was always graphics, sound like replay value and overall score. It's like sound is a huge part of games if.
Speaker 1: You wanna so, yeah, Jesse, like I I that's when you were saying that you have like several streams up and you're talking to your friends. That's where I'm I got to a point where I'm like, okay, interesting, That's where I might have fallen off if that was something I was into, Because turning soundtrack off is one thing. If you want to tellor your experience to be like as immersive to you as you can make it, and if turning the soundtrack off helps that for you, go for it. But yeah, I can't imagine, like I cannot imagine goes to Yota without a sound, even some game like Shadow of the Colossus which is verrely bereft and desolate, but like the sound becomes even more important for me there where it's so quiet. But do you do you feel like it diminishes games when you are and maybe I'm misunderstanding how your how it goes when you're like hanging out with people because like I totally get how the social aspect of that can really amplify your enjoyment for games, because I was always a person who I would either be playing games in my place when friends came over or vice versa, I would go watch them play games, So I totally connect with that. But are you playing with like low sound or no sound or.
Speaker 3: So I'm very first of all, so when I'm watching like other people streams, like when I'm playing my game, like I'll normally turn their streams off, like the volume because it is more of just like a oh, just seeing what they're up to what they're playing, and then like I'm playing my thing with my volume on, so I'll have people talking like over voice obviously at me, but like I still have my sound like cranked, like I'm still say But I'm also like very particular about the games I will play in those settings, Like I'm not playing a very story heavy like ASA is an example, just like a Hades is great where it's like it's mostly reading, and like I've done the run multiple times, I probably won't push the narrative forward. I can just do that run I've heard the soundtrack a million times or I'll play like a multiplay, like I'll jump into like a Call of Duty lobby, like things that are like sound is part of the experience, but it's not like why I'm there, Sure, something low low stakes, but like if I'm reviewing something or if I'm playing like something that I really want the full experience of, like that is like a me game. On the side, I'll play when I'm not doing you know that, Or I'll like Deafen on Discord and I'll just be the thing if someone needs to poke me about something, and I'll just and be enjoying the game myself for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, like tough. Yeah, it goes out saying it's like obviously if any of us are playing something for work, then we're giving it our full attention. Yeah, Like it's like, yeah, what game was I recently playing? Like Ghost of Yote, I guess is probably the best example. It's like I can't like without the soundtrack there when you're doing the standoffs and like it's doing the zoom in on her sword and you've got like the she pulls it out the last minute and then or the last like few inches and it's got that like Marcone kind of guitar riff. I can't imagine something without that. However, yeah, I don't know, Like even Breath of the Wild comes. Breath of the Wild is something that's interesting if you turn the soundtrack off, because we when we first played that game, it was a big deal with the fact that they were so withholding with the soundtrack. It would be random little flutters when you're just in the woods or when you're coming over a hill and then you've always you would all of a sudden hear like and then like that would add to it, and that would be amazing. But I can't imagine the game without those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Brett the Wild is, I think it's a game by game thing. Like Brett the Wild was never a podcast game for me. But like Jesse was saying, like, hey, thees, Yeah, after a certain amount of like you know, I played these runs million times, it's I feel okay, you know, watching something or listening to something. And then there's things like MEGABONK where it's like I played it a lot, and I know how this music is. The music is great, it's awesome, but can very easily put something else on and I don't feel like I'm losing anything, So it really is game by game thing where it's like Mike Yota, I think is the current thing that like I can't imagine listen to a podcast or something or having a conversation while playing YOT that is like I'm turning the lights off, phones on silent. I am just watching this, you know, playing it like a movie. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need the sound and risk of Rain two, even though I fucking love that game. And I also don't need the sound in Tower Dominion, even though it's one of my favorite games this year. Like I don't need the sound like.
Speaker 3: But you over and over again that are designed to be heard over and over again, is like yeah, now it's the time. Like I think of curated experiences a lot, where like death Strending is a very curated experience when it comes to his music, right you're cresting over a hill, that low roar song is going to play. The lower third comes in, like if you're listening to like your own music, Like that doesn't compute with me, where it's like, oh, that whole moment is kind of just gone, Like you just lose that moment and like you've maybe you've created something for yourself and like you enjoy that more and that's cool, But like for me, it's like so much of my relationship with that game, Outer Wilds is the same way where it's like, yes, when you hear the Timberhearth theme play, when you hear the music play, and you know what's about to happen, Like that's so intrinsically tied to my experience with that that game that if I was like listening to whatever, but then I think about something like Spider Man and that was like a big thing going around when Marvel Spider Man came out where a lot of people were like put on like nineties hip hop like make your own Spotify playlist and just like swing around the city listening to that. And I'm like, oh, I actually tried that and it was actually really cool and I really enjoyed that, and I ended up doing that for most of the game because it was honestly like a way better experience for me.
Speaker 1: I thought it was neat well. Also, yeah, Insomnia, like Insomnia can't get the rights to Wu Tang clans, so like you're gonna make it way better.
Speaker 2: If you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I totally get that for sure, But I definitely if if Jeff's saying he turns the sound off, but that's I don't have kids. I'm sure like there's there are people who do that are like I just literally want quiet. I can sort of get that penn ultimate question, not finishing video games. The reason I'm playing Tears that king him again is to finally finish it. I'm notorious for not finishing games, not getting to the end, especially with open world games. If I feel I have reached a point of fatigue but also enjoyed the fifty hours I got out of the game, and I would just stop playing that game forever. Am I a monster for this?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: It was a turning point for me when I decided I do not need to finish every fucking game I start. I that was like ten years ago, maybe fifteen at this point. Obviously, again keeping in mind at fall three of us are playing something for work. We're going to see it through and like make sure we give it our full attention and you know, meet it more than meet it all the way. But like, if there's a game I'm playing that just to check it out and see if I enjoy it, then no, I I long ago stopped feeling the need to finish a game, let alone hundred percent.
Speaker 2: That was something reason Jesse we're talking about off the air tonight, where it's like, if you're writing reviews for a game, like you know, that's all I was doing from like oh five to maybe twenty fourteen, is like you, it's a scored review. You need to beat it. You need to be able to talk to the entire of the game. But it was a thing once I shifted to Giant Bomb, and it was like, okay, it's podcast discussion. Like look, I can play ten hours of a thirty hour game and say how I feel about that ten hours. I wouldn't have written a review, But like that shift caused me to be a little more okay with like, Okay, I'm not really having a great time with this. I don't need to beat this entire game right now, so kind of pick and choose. But like, yeah, like you're talking about writing score reviews, it's like, yeah, gotta kind of play that whole thing, Gotta gotta speak to the whole deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that means in my free time, I dropped games all the time. Yeah, I when I learned learned it like it was like a skill, but like truly I broke the habit of being like I paid for this game, or I got this game and I'm going to see it through, Like oh my god. There's nothing like the rush of dropping a game you're just not enjoying or not vibing with, or you play ten hours of and you understand. It's like I love that feeling when it's like I put like eight out dry. I think Dragon Age recently was, or I guess last year it was like a good example of this. It's like I want to see this game through. I'm halfway through it. I don't know if I'm really vibing with it. And then I just ditched it and never looked back, and I was like, great.
Speaker 2: What's the feeling of like having something like socially that you need to do, like a party or something. Yeah, and then like for some reason it's like, oh, you have a great excuse to not go or it gets canceled.
Speaker 1: The rush of canceling.
Speaker 2: I just don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I Like I said, Yota is the first game in a while and my free time that I'm like, I'm going to finish this because I really do just truly, and that's not I'm not like pushing myself to finish it. The game's good enough where it's pulling me toward the finish, but like it's been a while since I thought, Okay, I'm actually going to see this through for sure. And then last question from Jess shower beers, Yes or no? I'm not a shower beer WI used to be.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've cut back my drinking pretty significantly over like the last year. But if I'm on vacation and like the vibes are right, a shower beer Hell yeah, man.
Speaker 2: I was a shower beer guy before the bars. You know, take a shower, get clean, take get a little pre drink going on. Now I'm an older man, I'm a sauna beer guy. Do you have a sauna? I just got one from Costco. This has been a saga for the last week or two on Giant Bomb. I've talked about so I got. I'm probably gonna start preheating it right after this podcast. I'll probably do a run a Hades while it's heating up to one fifty, and then I'll have a couple of beers in the shower or in the sauna. There that.
Speaker 1: That's my new thing where I'm trying to like like.
Speaker 2: In the bathroom, the macaroni cheese bathroom.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, no, I've seen it. It's like the that like.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no, not the steamroom closet. That's the older that was the old model. I bought a full on wooden, big ass like sauna thing.
Speaker 3: How many people can it fit? Is it just a one person sna or can it fit two person?
Speaker 2: It's a two person in your back. Go in there. It's got bluetooth, it's got fucking like it is hotter. It's a dry sauna situation. Like the audio listeners won't see it. But that's that's the guy there it is.
Speaker 3: That's from control. Yeah, yeah, that's the oldest house man. Yes, that's in your back. I've been doing that every single night for the last two weeks. And I will usually have some beers in there, and that's Uh. I've been reading. I've been reading, uh a mic or a literary man. I've been reading Breakfast of Champions and drinking beers and uh, just.
Speaker 1: Ben Handsome recommend that to you.
Speaker 2: No, That'shouse five. And I enjoyed it, and I was like reading Signs of Titan. That's my favorite. I might be back on the Maharty book suggestion train, because okay, I was doing that if we.
Speaker 1: Talked about it a few episodes ago. When you're done with those and you want like a book that's actually gonna like fucking change your life. One hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez one of the most right now. Enjoy It's it's it's it's literary as fuck, but it's also like Enjoyable's hell page turner, So like, don't let the the the way this situation to turre you.
Speaker 2: I love that book. No I read I look, I got nothing to do in that thing. I'm in that thing for thirty minutes. I I'd love to have a book to read. Oh yeah, I was thinking about like physical books because I like physical books. But like I'm sweating a lot in there. I don't want them to get.
Speaker 1: All well, I don't know if that's the spot for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just doing the Kindle in there. So that's sauna beers and yeah.
Speaker 3: Can the kindle handle it too? Is it like not too hot?
Speaker 2: I looked it up. It's not like recommended, but like if it gets to a bad point, it'll be like, hey, it's fucking hot, what are you doing? And but you know I usually do like, you know, fifteen minutes of reading and I'll put it down on the ground where it's less hot and it's going to sweat out the rest.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, I don't, I don't. I don't remember the last time at a shower beer as a joke. A man, it brought me like a shower red wine, like a last year or something. I don't, but it's not like something I do on purpose. All right, Well, thank you, Jeff. That's all our emails. Excellent again for next episode. Restock that in box. That's Firescape cast at gmail dot com. Appreciate all the questions you send in marriably back next episode. Jesse, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having it was to have you plug things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what do you have going on that we should know about currently? I don't have a whole lot going on.
Speaker 3: But if you go to restart dot run, or you go to you type my name Jesse Vitelli into any social media, you'll find me there Blue Sky, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, whatever you want, whatever your social media choices. I just put out a Digitmond review if you want to read more about the wacky world of Deputymon that went up today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't really have anything major going on, but.
Speaker 1: You might see me around other places. Who knows, Dan, what about you?
Speaker 2: Giant bomb dot com, that's that's the place. I just started playing my Blake Club game. I'm playing a Darkest of Days. Have either of you heard of this?
Speaker 1: Yes, Darkest of Days?
Speaker 2: Now it's my Blake Club. I have to dress up like a Civil War soldier and which side time cops. That's the thing. I learned what the game was on the air, and I had to dress up and instead a Union soldier outfit, and it's that's the north. Okay, we're good, but it's the idea of a time traveling soldier time cop situation where it's like, oh, you're getting rocket launchers and shit in the Civil War in World War One and stuff like that. So it's not good. And I'm playing the three sixty version, which runs terribly. So that's my Black Club game right now. But yeah, keep an eye on Giant Bomb. We got some fun stuff coming up. I don't know if it'll be announced by that time. This episode goes up, but we've got some Marathon Subdrive type stuff coming up very soon and that's gonna be a very fun show. So yeah, Giant bomb good stuff there.
Speaker 1: Cool. I'm just here and then I guess said October twentieth, go to our Patreon page for tickets to that Smash Bros.
Speaker 2: Tournament.
Speaker 1: If you can be in New York on October twentieth, whether you live here, whether you're nearby, come in, hang out, wear fire, skip gear. Love to see it. Also, we do officially now have fire Skate Merch dot Com. I saw to that. I know the bit with Mary and I was fun, but just now Fire skate Merch dot Com should go to fourth Wall.
Speaker 2: I hit enter.
Speaker 1: Look at that some of our merch. Yeah, there we are. Yeah yeah, fire fire Skate Merch. There's still there's a lot you can get. We actually just restocked the stainless steel water bottles because people were buying those even when we didn't have the domain name. So go buy stuff there. We like quite a lot of it. We do have some new stuff on the way soon. We're finalizing some of that to get ready for our Game of the Year stream and Game of the Year season as we like to call it. We did mention, are we well? I guess we'll wait until Mary's back to like the triple confirm the actual date. We have a date in mind, it's gonna be. Can we say the month at least because we did November last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in tentative. Obviously, it's tough with all of its having jobs and me also having to do a game of yer stuff with my day job and everything. But we are looking at early December. Yeah, it is kind of what we're looking at now. Saturday, there's the TGAs, there's holidays and stuff. So just will update you once it's for sure, but like, we're looking at December right now. Yep.
Speaker 1: Subby fire skate merch dot com, get prep for that. We still have our dorky Christmas sweaters there if you want to rock those. I might bring mine in Minneapolis this year. We will be back at Dan Studio for that. Outside of that, I think that's it. Uh, Jesse, thank you so much again for joining and Dan. I don't know, I don't really I'm here. I don't have anything to thank you for that much beer? Sauna, Yeah, got your sauna and read your fucking book, your fucking geek. Yeah, like your sauna beer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, beer, Well read Shotgun, your shotgun, the beer in the sauna.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read Kurt Vonnegat. Will I drink a beer this on?
Speaker 2: I mean, what does that not sound?
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds amazing to me. All right, thank you, I'm next. Next, Next, I'm gonna read Infinite Jests. Well, I drink some wine.
Speaker 2: I started Infinite Jests. It seems like a lot recently. No, a few years ago.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, yeah, I don't do that. It's Dan gets into infinite Just jesus.
Speaker 2: It seems like a whole lot nobody.
Speaker 1: Here's another hot take of mine. Nobody should ever read Infinite Jest. I don't give a fuck what those intermittent chapters add to the book. It's in the same way nobody should ever fully read Moby Dick, which I did.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, no, no, no, wait, I think I'm sucked up here because I was just I'm thinking of Inherent Vice very.
Speaker 1: Very very differently. But you can see that, you can see the similar exemp. The name Thomas Pinsion. I like that book Infinite Jess David Thomas Anderson.
Speaker 2: One that's the one I tried to read the book though that's in hair advice.
Speaker 1: That's your advice, infinite just is like the stereotypical, like ponytail college bro, like performing, who is that performative?
Speaker 2: Now? Like uh, David Foster Wallace before I know, no, no, I have not and like.
Speaker 1: There's there's a half it's about tennis, because he thought like, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, Mike. The last time I altogether is you. You tried to make me read a book about surfing and I quit reading books for like six years.
Speaker 1: Barbarian Days by William Finnigan Jake Deckers this Year's Weekend and agrees it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. I'm back.
Speaker 1: I'm back on the book the fucking needs you to do it. That was nonfiction. Now you're back on Kurt Fonnigod. I'm I'm Ben Hanson. I'm just reading Kurt Fonniicain in the Sun. I've never heard been handsome. Oh he's talked about Breakfast Champions, Yes, Slaughterhouse five Tires Are Titan is my favorite one.
Speaker 2: I have a few here, Okay, hey consider me open to suggestions. Now I got sonic time.
Speaker 1: Now you mean you don't want to read Native Wine Grapes of Italy.
Speaker 2: Not again.
Speaker 1: You don't want to read Seller Rat. You don't want to read Making Sense of Burgundy by Matt Kramer.
Speaker 2: God, my dad's waking up in a cold sweat and doesn't know why.
Speaker 1: You don't want to read the New French Wine Volume one, the History or Volume two?
Speaker 2: The Producers? Are most of those books wine books? Behind you? Yeah, the whole this whole room.
Speaker 1: Wait, I don't want to read wine Grapes.
Speaker 2: It's so big, Jess, you can the call anytime you want to know. This is great.
Speaker 1: I'm learning so much. That's a big book.
Speaker 3: Infinite just too many grapes.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, do you think I would like infinite jest? Or that book that you're holding more this book that I'm holding more? Infinite?
Speaker 1: You actually learn? Yeah, you'd actually be better person for it, and not just a douchebag who look at the section on Pino noir just keeps going, Oh now we're talking. Uh, it's not done yet. Fucking the party, all right, thank you everybody for joining Episode one seventeen. We will be back in a couple of weeks. And we'll be starting to solidify our game of the year plans. It's been a blast, it's been a good year so far. None of you please ruin it or please don't ruin it. Don't ruin it. But thank you again Jessic for joining, Dan, thanks for joining. As always, we will see everybody in a couple of weeks. Until then,