Speaker 1: Welcome back to Babbelon via the podcast.
Speaker 2: That's reaction through What What What What?
Speaker 3: It? Don't swear in the first minute.
Speaker 4: I know, please don't swear.
Speaker 3: I saw you trying to restrain yourself.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: The Babylon podcast was our last best hope for a concise discussion. It failed, but in the Year of the Great Tangents, it became something better, our last best hope for insight the year is twenty twenty six. The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: But we are reacting in watching episodes of Babylon five. We just watched passing through get seventy guests has some thoughts about it, or maybe not has thoughts.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what's happening.
Speaker 4: I guess it is real nobody.
Speaker 2: But my name is Jenny.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of the show, and I've watched it through many times.
Speaker 3: I'm Jen, Okay, clearly, I'm Jan I'm I'm a screenwriter, and I am watching it through for the I watched it back in the day and i'm watching it again now and I don't remember a lot of things.
Speaker 4: I'm guss. We just we just hit a minute.
Speaker 6: What the fuck was I wanted to be the one.
Speaker 4: What the fuck? All right? She was down? So was I. I'm an actor, I'm I'm a first time What the fuck?
Speaker 3: What the fuck?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Hi, okay, I'm ali I'm a showrunner, screenwriter, and actress.
Speaker 6: What the fuck was that?
Speaker 4: That's like the great episode? By the way, was that?
Speaker 2: Uh? The Gills? I am gonna remind you about the pilot. Do you have any memory of Gills in the pilot?
Speaker 4: I remember people talked about Gills in the pilot. I don't remember the context.
Speaker 2: You car had, Yeah, panted done something for some reason that he could breathe in exactly so he could breathe in like Aliens.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, so now she can go hang out with Cash.
Speaker 3: Well she didn't have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: I think that.
Speaker 7: She died in that yeah, because she said, I must have passed out, like now you died. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it that she died in the pod and they brought her back for purposes that we cannot yet know. But she was desperately trying to get to the Vorlons.
Speaker 4: She was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was going to say, there's Lord of the Rings all over this episode. Yeah, that actor, as you mentioned, has been I can't remember his name.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, what's his name? Help me? Thank you.
Speaker 2: He has been in Voyager. As you said, he played a serial killer and Voyagers had who had to like go through meditation and everything to suppress his urges, and then in another later episode had to like use his serial killer instincts to defend the ship. And like it was a whole big thing of just like you mean, I haven't open.
Speaker 3: It was early I think it was in season one, and then they brought him in and it was like they were in the Delta Quattern, so they were like, well, we don't, we can't. He was part of the McKee. Oh that's great. He was part of the McKey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he had joined the Markeys because he wanted to be like in a door because.
Speaker 3: He liked too many people. Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And then.
Speaker 2: I think Tubac helps him learn to restraint himself or something teaches about to meditation. Yeah, and then later on like somebody comes on the ship and he's killing people and he has to kill again, and it's a whole It was.
Speaker 3: Like with Brad Dorrif being like super sweet and cool at the beginning, of this is jarring. I mean, he's he's a phenomenal actor.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, that's why the eyes yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, oh right right right, yes.
Speaker 2: Now I saw Ali. You were crying during this episode. It's a good one.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, before we I mean, obviously there's basically one main plot in this one, although I guess Lida.
Speaker 4: Gils Sure, yeah, whatever, whatever. Yeah, DA's back and.
Speaker 1: Glowing oozy things out of her eyes.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, sure, I guess.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure yeah.
Speaker 4: Other thoughts about this episode really good, really really really really really really good, really good, really good, really really good.
Speaker 3: Directed but directed by Adam and Mooy. Who is I always.
Speaker 2: I forget to say this was he is? He?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, he did good.
Speaker 3: He did good. He did up?
Speaker 4: Who wrote?
Speaker 3: Uh jams?
Speaker 4: This is a genus episode this season so far? You're grinning? Why are you grinning? Does he write every episode this season?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I guess, I guess it's time to tell you that it's starting about I think the last six episodes of the last season he wrote all of them. He writes, and I'm gonna just he writes every single episode from here until the end of the show. Except for one, and I'm just gonna let you guys figure out which one he doesn't want it doesn't write?
Speaker 4: Is it two? Ko?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will literally tell you though. That's the reason I'm forgetting to check who writes, because I know it's him, and.
Speaker 3: We've been I've been waiting for you guys to be like, he wrote this one too. Yeah, every week in great counsel.
Speaker 7: I would never have noticed, to be honest with you, I would never have noticed that.
Speaker 4: I also remember, way back in the day, I asked you in the first episode, it's like you've seen them write every episode, and Jen, you went not in season one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, I remember that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we get into this, uh like into this episode, then we'll explain to you how this happened, because it was not like a non purpose thing. So I think, okay, we talked about this recently. They got a late pickup basically for season three. Would you guys know what that means. I didn't know what that meant, but Jen explained it to me. So they got a late pickup, and we basically had to have all of the episodes like written in time to start filming.
Speaker 3: So JMS wrote the first several they wouldn't give them a they wouldn't bridge, but the writing team, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly, and then Larry to tell you isn't working on the show anymore. So he had always planned to set aside some scripts for people to like, for freelancers to write, but he didn't have an assistant to help guide freelancers in how to write for the show. So he just kept doing it and doing it and doing it until the end of the season. And then once season four started, the studio was like, you wrote all of those ones, So I mean, we're not going to hire writers because you can do it.
Speaker 6: So that's let's work for the death.
Speaker 4: Wait, but what about to Larry, which he was.
Speaker 3: Writing another show I believe, or he was writing on another show or something. I think, yeah, yeah, I'm honestly not sure.
Speaker 2: Actually I didn't look into that, but you we talked a while back about how he and his wife separated. This was when that happened around this season. I can't do I can't do.
Speaker 4: This, and that yeah, I'm writing, I can't do I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't write this entire show and be married the same time.
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It was a case of she was like in his autobiography when he talks about it, he's like, I kind of needed to separate, and she was like, yeah, we're kind of separated already, Like I haven't seen you. It's just whatever. His hair was not white when the show started. It was white by the end of season three.
Speaker 6: He got he got obamaed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 6: Yes, he was under the President of the United States.
Speaker 2: Members would like go to his office and leave vitamins on his desk, be like we're not like something is wrong. The studio made him do a take a what do you call it, basically getting a stress test, like.
Speaker 1: For insurance because they were worried.
Speaker 2: There was an article written in one of the newspapers that called him the master and slave of Babylon five. Like it was. It was a thing that people were like, this is.
Speaker 4: Not this shouldn't be happenings happening.
Speaker 7: No, capital is a crazy bad capitalism is bad, Like that should not have been happening to that man.
Speaker 6: That's like, actually.
Speaker 4: It's honestly, because he was like, no, I'm done with people side railing my vision. They were just like no, fuck, you get thumbscrewed.
Speaker 3: Kind of and it is I mean it's you know, it's like it's such are like Ali, you know this too, Like you tell somebody how quickly you can write a script and they're like, oh great, then I'll give you three days next time instead of the normal two weeks. Like you know, like I don't tell people how fast I write because then they're like, then they take advantage of it. I've had that happen and and you know, and it is like we've talked about it before and like the Taylor Sheridan of it all and how I'm like, it's so important to have voices in a room and have you know, different voices. This is a show that we've talked about from the beginning that like he knew where he wanted to go from the beginning, and he knew when he wanted to write from the beginning. I I still like, you know, and it's hard when you're like a showrunner running a show that's like your dream show, it's your baby, and and they're saying like cool, look, get going, but we don't really have the budget to give you a staff. I mean, I've been in that situation and I've fought for like anybody to be on a staff, and like it will give you two and a half people on your staff, and it's really it's hard, and it is something that hopefully and thankfully like the WGA has been like helping to negotiate that we we don't have to take that anymore in a way. But also he does know his show well enough. I mean I do. I can't imagine there was a little bit of like five fine final I'll just write it like I know where I want to go with it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well I'm sure that's yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean it's not hasn't suffered for it.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. They have been really good, and it's like, you know, and we have this we we do have like the characters, the tone, the everything he wants to go for. But it is just like it's such a shame that he put himself in you know, like almost in the hospital, like he.
Speaker 6: It's really not worth it.
Speaker 3: It's not worth it. And you know, like we talk all the time about how right now like that it's moved in some ways. I mean, showrunners still kill themselves, but like it's also moved to like the effects teams you know that are just like killing themselves to make because ye make television on the you know, two hours of television on a tenth of the budget that a two hour film would take. And so everybody's working ridiculous hours and cruise and you know, and especially if it's a show that has effects in it, and so it's you know, it's not like it's a new a new problem in this industry, but also it sucks. And he was like, okay, you know, I'll do let's do it.
Speaker 8: I'll tell yeah, it's his baby, like he's not going to give up on it, right, like, and other people are relying on like it's the jobs of many people and yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, and he has been and we've been waiting for you guys to like notice that the right most of.
Speaker 4: The first two season. So it wasn't that of the ordinary for you to be several in a row.
Speaker 1: But it's yeah, that every except for one. And I'll let you guys see.
Speaker 2: If you can spot the one episode now at the end of the show, wrote he wrote, ninety two of one hundred and ten. Oh my god, it like literally broke records. I think the record has been broken since.
Speaker 3: But it was like a it was a probably because Taylor Sheridan writes everything for sure and so on. Sorkin's name is on every episode of most almost every episode.
Speaker 4: I right, right, right, yeah, good, golly, well he did a good job with this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I thought it was good.
Speaker 2: So I really liked this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 2: And it's one I've talked about this, I think, on this podcast before. But I often find shows where you have the writer who is not Christian or not religious in any way, he has a lot of trouble, Like I feel like when they try and write the voices of religious people like uh no, like that's no no. Where this feels real like, And you know, I do know that Jams had time in his life where he was Christian, so maybe that's what this is. But it definitely feels real.
Speaker 4: Well. He seems to have a lot of respect for the institution of religion, even if he himself is not particularly religious. You know, he has a very good understanding of it and very good, very very strong appreciation for it, even if he does not ascribe to it himself, which it sounds like he's not particularly religious.
Speaker 3: He's an atheist.
Speaker 1: Jamis explicitly an atheist.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find the quote I sent you. I sent you one of the things from the Lurkers Guide that he said to me. Yeah, yeah, I'm trying to find it in the Lurkers Guide. Oh there, I found it, okay. Is somebody says the like the comment that he was replying to was the themes of faith and forgiveness. We're worthy of a theologian? Are you sure there isn't something you'd.
Speaker 4: Like to tell us?
Speaker 2: And then he responds, I'll just read the whole response. And I've lost people, too many people, lost them to chance, violence, brutality, beyond belief. I've seen all the senseless and noble acts of God's noblest creatures, and I am incapable of forgiving. My feelings are with Jaikar, hand sliced open, saying, of the drops of blood flowing from that open wound? How do you apologize to them?
Speaker 3: I can't. Then I cannot forgive.
Speaker 2: As an atheist, I believe that all life is unspeakably precious, because there it is only here for a brief moment, a flare against the dark, and then it's gone forever. No afterlives, no second chances, no vacsies. So there can be nothing crueler than the abuse, destruction, and want and taking of a life. It is a crime no less than burning the Mona Lisa, for there is only just one of each. So I cannot forgive, which makes the notion of writing a character who can forgive momentarily attractive, because it allows me to floor in great detail something of which I'm utterly incapable. I cannot fly, so I would write of birds and starships and kites. I cannot play in instruments, so I would write of composers and dancers. And I cannot forgive, so I would write of priests and monks and minbari.
Speaker 4: I think this guy's got promise as a writer. I got some from Yeah that's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that's like a reply on a Usenet forum, and it's really fucking beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because what you were just saying of like clearly has some experience in a world of faith and a life of faith, but he also has completely renounced it, to the point where he's not only completely renounced it, but he's just like unwilling to do the thing that like he is saying here is one of the most paramount things you can do as a person of faith, And yeah, you know that. That's just He's like, I will never and I can never, so therefore I'm going to let other people represent that. It's really kind of interesting. It's cool. It's like as opposed to like I can only write what I know, it's I have to write what I can't do.
Speaker 4: She's crying again. She was moved by the beauty of jms's thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was talking my friend Body, Body and I often get into Body, is you know, more religious than me, and we often talk about that sort of thing. And I am not religious anymore, but I did grow up in that thing, and I when in this I don't have the issue with forgiveness that JMS has, but there are things about the faith that I grew up in that I desperately miss, sure and I see that in this like oh, longing for like a sense of certainty or an understanding that I used to have that doesn't exist anymore in me.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see that in that phrase, in that passage that he wrote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it also makes sense to why he would come up with the cheese whiz. Yeah, because it's not it's it's not death. It's death. It's not death. Yeah, it's like recycling. Yeah, yes, I mean respectively.
Speaker 3: But it's sort of like, well, it's interesting because Garibaldi makes the comment of like it being awful, we should go back to the death penalty. And if JMS is saying what he's saying, then he's also saying like, not only is he not capable of forgiveness, he also believes every life is precious. So my my read on that is that JMS doesn't believe in the death penalty even though he can't forgive. So he's created that works through that m.
Speaker 2: H trying to like make that contradict sho work if they have to pay, and yet making them pay would be also a crime.
Speaker 3: Like it's trying to figure that out.
Speaker 4: Well for an eye, dad, right, lenn And you're always conversation. She she she she said that she said the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where is that originally from?
Speaker 4: I could swear Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: It feels like Shakespeare, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: It says it in here. Hang on, this isn't a thing. I Jed's Gandhi already got there.
Speaker 4: That's not Shakespeare. Yeah, okay, that's not Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: De Lennon Gandhi, man.
Speaker 4: Somebody commented. Somebody commented already. I'm guarantee you somebody commented in the videos that's.
Speaker 6: Gondi, in which case you always a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: My bad, you know what.
Speaker 2: You know what the problem is, so many people watch the reaction and don't listen to the podcast, and I I restrain myself. But there are so many times that people are like, go onto these Oh, you have to tell them this like we did in the video that you didn't watch. Ya, just don't watch that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: You know what. We might have talked about it in the meme episode. It's possible that we talked about it in the meme episode. Yeah, you don't never know.
Speaker 6: You don't know.
Speaker 2: If you don't want, you have to watch everything.
Speaker 7: Otherwise, if you have said something and we've already talked about it, you always a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That's the rules.
Speaker 1: That's a contract to me when you watch this video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you about to be confident that we didn't talk about it.
Speaker 2: I cannot do this in my head. I can't make the connection work. At least not while I'm thinking through it now, but I feel like there has to be something in that conversation that Brother Edward has with the lenn especially like the whole the light on the wall is a projection of the soul but not the actual soul, and then this whole cheese. I feel like there has to be a connection, but I can't do the math or art. I'm not yeah, to make that work with the cheese was or like the idea of forgiveness.
Speaker 4: When like, yeah, kind of like it has to do more. I think with his breakdown about how he's still responsible for what he's done even if he doesn't. Personality wipe doesn't soul wipe because if your if your soul is something that is a light shone on a wall, if you put a filter up, it's still the same light. It's I know, the chance is the wavelength, but it's the same light. So even if it looks different, the same light, I think is kind of how you can apply that.
Speaker 3: I also think that you know, going back to going back to oh what was the name of the episode with the with the souls and this soul grab soul hunter. Yeah, yeah, like with the soul the unter going back to sul Hunter and the discovery that like you know in de Lene being so like you know, every every soul is precious. We believe that every soul is so precious and has to be protected that there you know, I like like that. Contrast with him saying I don't my soul can't be forgiven because I don't even know what to ask forgiveness for, because I don't remember the things that a mind wipe is the worst possible thing. And then on top of that, brother Theo saying no, no, no, it's out of your hands. Leave it to God. He can forgive you for the things you don't even remember or know about, and then using his like whatever I got from the Holy See, I can now absolve you of literally everything, and that needing to happen essentially before his soul could be collected in a ball if you were going back to Theari thing, and so you know, it is interesting like her saying like our souls are all all souls are connected, and all souls are precious, and all souls are part of the same thing, even if they're split among places and people and things. And so that goes back to like, no, the death penalty is bad, yeah, and a mind wipe is good. But is it? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, But also you know, we got to remember the Minbari apply that logic to Minbari souls.
Speaker 2: Nothing the lend doesn't.
Speaker 4: The lend doesn't, which might be partially, but that's the only reason the end of the war, it was the Minbari souls in humans they think, Jeff specifically.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness recently and my healing journey. Not to be like always talking about my healing journey, but that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 6: That's my hype of fixation.
Speaker 7: So, but like the nature of forgiveness, especially like in things where it's like someone has done something that is theoretically unforgivable to you, or that it's like shaped you irreparably, And there's just been an interesting kind of part of the whole experience of like understanding that in part forgiveness is so important for the individual because your nervous system and your body, if you are unable to forgive and let go to a certain extent, creates an overidentification with the past that prevents you from creating new neural pathways and moving forward with your life, right, it becomes trapped in your subconscious and that subconscious patterning becomes becomes action, right, and becomes instinct.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So in kind of like unpacking the past and like losing identification with the past, because that's not what's happening in the present, right, you have to to a certain extent in order to move forward and creating new neural pathways for yourself, forgive the things that have occurred in the past and the people who have owned you, which is a very difficult thing to do when you feel that things have been very difficult. But then at the same time, like, I know people who have done things that are very and I won't get into what because that's personal, but have done things that are quote unquote unforgivable. And people's response to me, as somebody who cares about that person is well, such and such like justice will probably happen, and in their minds it's a justice thing where they're like, they'll probably die in prison though, so like it'll be fine. And I'm like, I understand that impulse, right, I understand the impulse to tell me that, and I understand where it comes from, and that it comes from a place of like attempted kindness. But it's like you start to realize, unfortunately, when you care about people that have done bad things, that like those people still have people that care about them. And that's a nuance I never really asked to receive in my life. Yeah, ever, and like I am not at a point where I am in contact with this person, but like it doesn't erase the fact that that person meant something to me and was there for me at very difficult times in my life. It also just recontextualizes that those experiences, though.
Speaker 6: For me in a drastic way. So it's really complicated.
Speaker 7: Life is a lot more complicated than you think it is, and it takes like certain experiences for you to realize that. And if you are somebody who has not experienced that level of complication, I think the gift of having experienced how complicated life is and understanding its nuances is that you understand its nuances.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but because that's the gift.
Speaker 7: You encounter people who have not and they don't know what to say or how to act or what to do, and it's like you end up having to be the one to kind of if you feel it's worth your emotional labor trying to walk them through the nuances and complexities of what they're trying to talk about, or you just go thank you. In your mind, you just go thank you very much for what you meant, which is that you were trying to support me.
Speaker 6: But like it's.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this episode hit pretty damn heart because recently I had someone ask me if I wanted to go visit this person and whether they could come with me.
Speaker 6: Wow, okay, so it was really interesting.
Speaker 7: That was last night, so and I was like, you know, I've been unsure. Yeah, So it was a really interesting It's just really interesting how people react to different things. And I've just been sitting with the concept of forgiveness, especially in this particular instance, and kind of going, how do you forgive people that do unforgivable things to you? How do you forgive people who you care about who do unforgivable things? What does unconditional love actually look like?
Speaker 6: And like.
Speaker 7: How do you encourage people to change? And whether you have any control over whether or not they do?
Speaker 3: And unconditional love and forgiveness are two separate things too. I mean, you can have unconditional love for a person and not forgive them. That is not they're not mutually exclusive.
Speaker 2: And forgive this doesn't mean that you're okay with what happened, Like that's yeah, it's just the letting go, like it's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a complicated question, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: For me, I've come to the conclusion that it's like I wanted to not want these things to no longer be a part of my.
Speaker 6: Internal world.
Speaker 7: And because of that, to a certain extent, you have to sit with it to a point where you've processed the emotions behind it and then allow it to have existed and not be a part of your present or inform your Like you you have to say with what like Echar totally calls the pain body of it, and bring your awareness to that pain body, meaning you have to actually fully experience the debt of emotion that that brings you and then allow it to no longer inform your behavior.
Speaker 6: Which is a difficult you know.
Speaker 7: He's like, learn what you need to learn from it and then let it go and don't let it live in your body. And what I had learned from keeping a lot of pain bodies in my body of like things that had happened and things that.
Speaker 6: People had done, and letty dotty dotty dah was.
Speaker 7: That one that was not actually ever impacting that other person in any way holding onto that thing at all. And because they have no idea whether or not I forgive them or care, right, yes, and like to So it's only hurting me into like that. A decent portion of my stress and illness revolved around my inability to let those things go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: So it's like at a certain point you are only hurting yourself because you can't and you can't think someone into being.
Speaker 6: Sorry, right, you just can't. I mean, it's it's attempting to control the uncontrollable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for Jenny who works with kids, for Ali who's worked in a preschool, for me, who's worked in a preschool, Like, you can't. You can't tell a kid you better say sorry. There's no point in having a young child say they're sorry to another kid if they don't actually feel sorry for something. And it's just it's empty words. It's you know, so anyway and it has no meaning and it doesn't resonate with.
Speaker 6: Them, no, and it doesn't mean that they're not right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I've always said I've said this before, I think on this podcast where I'm like, I've sat with some pretty dark things that have happened in my life, that people have done, and I like, I've had to sit with that a lot this year, and I've kind of realized that, like, I have no idea the impact that I've had on people, I have no control over the impact that I've had on people, And like, I sit with what has happened, and I'm like, I would much rather be in my position than in theirs, because I know, like in my heart, I'm like, even if they don't acknowledge it in their conscious minds, I have done enough work on my nervous system to know the body absolutely keeps score and absolutely knows what you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, which is like something that.
Speaker 2: Was I mean, in a very literal way was explored in this episode of being somebody who didn't do it who finds out that there's somebody who did do it, Like at the same time, like, how do you just waking up and finding out that you have done a bunch of heinous things?
Speaker 7: So this episode didn't really impact me that much, not at all, didn't really register, didn't really hit.
Speaker 4: That hard, boring episode.
Speaker 6: Why I was completely dry, dry the entire time.
Speaker 7: Once they were like, we got to talk about forgiveness, I was like, oh no, oh sure, because no, like legit as I've been healing my nervous system hilariously, it feels like like there's this weird main character syndrome I've been receiving where it's like, well, it's like the things I will be working on. It's like I'll suddenly be reading a book and it's like, now we have to talk about this thing that you have literally been working on.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, that.
Speaker 6: Is that is a lot like And so.
Speaker 2: I was like, I call that the Volvo phenomenon because when I got a Volvo, suddenly every car I saw was a bulbo.
Speaker 3: Right right right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And so I know I was literally on a run today having a conversation with someone who isn't there where I was just like, I need to like let go of something that has been weighing on me and we'll just talk about it even though I know you're not here. But hey, we've discovered, because of quantum mechanics, the particles that can impact each other from a distance even if they don't see each other. So maybe somehow in the ether, they will somehow know that this conversation has taking place.
Speaker 6: Who knows but I But I was like.
Speaker 7: For my own benefit, I need to like work through this on this run today. And people who passed by me probably thought I was insane that.
Speaker 4: I had headphones on it on the phone.
Speaker 6: No, I was.
Speaker 7: It was fine, Okay, sometimes you have to cry on a run, and I probably and that's just where you're at. Sometimes. Sometimes we were going through it. I saw a guy start to cat call me and then got back in his car, so act.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was a power move.
Speaker 6: To have a conversation with someone who's not here.
Speaker 3: I've done it. I've been walking through the streets of downtown to trap by myself at night, screaming out loud and having a conversation with myself kept anybody from bugging me.
Speaker 4: Sometimes that would work.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I got so yeah.
Speaker 7: Then I was like, and then we popped on this episode, it was like, we're going to talk about forgiveness today, and I was like, obviously, when we talk about why would we talk about anything else today.
Speaker 2: One of the things I really loved love in this episode is seeing Bruce Sheridan, like, no, he knows like he's seeing Brother Edward on the one side. Like when he's yes, I'm going to say like in the obviously we don't have mind wipes in the real world, but like let's imagine like it's somebody who's done the work and they've healed and they've gotten better, and he sees them on one side, and then he sees the other.
Speaker 4: Guy on both sides.
Speaker 2: After like on both sides, and but he know, like he only is seeing him having done the work. He had a mind wipe at the very beginning of it, having lived through the pain of what he did. And that's that is like, that's that nuance. I feel like that you're talking about of Oh, if you've seen like done gone through the suffering and you meet somebody who's only met the person after they've gotten like done the work, you're like, no, you have to hate them, and they're like, well no, because yeah, like they're a good person now.
Speaker 3: And brother, you calling him out for it, like look look in that moment of like what were you just singing?
Speaker 4: Yes, just like it was his fucking hand, you clown, he.
Speaker 3: Said, I'm gonna call him brother Obi Wan from here on out though, because he just makes me I can't very much.
Speaker 4: Does He's always going to be draw one for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: But I like brother obi Wan as well.
Speaker 7: And it was brilliant nuanced too, because I think people are very quick to judge people they don't know.
Speaker 6: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: It's a much more because I mean, listen, that guy killed one person, the other guy killed nine, including somebody he was related to.
Speaker 4: And then I killed one person in a very targeted, revenge oriented way, yeah.
Speaker 7: Which you know Garibaldi probably would have been behind before and.
Speaker 3: As if he Yeah, and he killed him as the proxy for all of those people. Like that's the thing too. It's like, we've been looking for you for nine years and you represent the pain that all of us feel like you didn't get the justice you deserved and I'm the only one willing to willing to do the thing that needs to be done. He was, in a sense, he was also representing the like do you have the courage to stay? Because he was there, I wasn't ready to go through the act, and he was like, I have the courage. I'm the only one who was the courage to stay, and do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost a backwards version of like some weird inverted version of Atonient, like he did the punishment, you know, Jesus took on the sins of the world. This guy did this sin like it was I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 4: It was also, by the way, not lost on me that when we get to see Brother Edward, he is, you know, crucified. Yes, that was not lost on me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: And it's an interesting thing of like, but there's like this all these like concepts and stuff that I've you know, I've been reading a lot about fucking forgiveness for someson, and like, you know, there's this idea of like, you know that if soul contracts exist, like, there are people that enter your life to do things to you, to move your soul forward in some way, and those things can be really traumatic and negative. And I'm not saying that like everything happens for really like la la la. It's a very that's a very broad oversimplification of what I think I've landed on personally. And whatever you all want to land on personally is your choice. Please do not come for me and my coping skill. Okay, this is my coping skill and I've had a hard go so I'm allowed to cope how I need to cope. But like, this was an interesting thing that I stumbled upon that I kind of am vibing with right now, where they're like, yeah, you kind of make predetermined contracts with some it's in some ways to like have certain things happen to your soul for your soul to learn. Right if we're like the universe experiencing itself, like the universe has to experience pain, and sometimes you like do sign up for those things in advance, and it's like you're in a way it's empowering because you're like, I am not necessarily a Things don't happen to me, they happen for me. And I've gotten to a place in my healing journey where I'm like, I even if somebody gave me a button, it was like, you can undo all the bad things that have ever happened to you. I'm like, well, I would not press that button at this point in my life because that would mean that I am not the person that I am today, right, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: And that's what they mean when they're like it's happening for you in a way, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a weird I have And it's not exactly the same with suffering.
Speaker 1: But I remember a moment in my life, you know.
Speaker 2: As I said, grew up religious but also grew gay, and there was a lot of my life where I was trying to ungay myself. And there was a certain moment in my life where I remember it distinctly being like, no, because I don't know who that person is. I have no idea who the person is who's not gay, and me like that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: And it's so even and at that time I was.
Speaker 2: Still religious, Like even though it's difficult and it makes my life really hard, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what to do.
Speaker 7: I would not be I would be a completely different person, and I honestly don't think i'd be a much worse person, Like I don't think I would understand the nuances of being alive and the way that I do. And like, so it's it's this complicated thing where you're like, in a weird way, if you are doing healing in a particular way, you become almost you become understanding of your experiences in a different you form a different relationship to it, I should say.
Speaker 6: I think it's like it's.
Speaker 7: Not necessarily gratitude, but there is like an underlying layer of that where you're like grateful for the person you became.
Speaker 6: And it's like, okay, that's complicated.
Speaker 7: That becomes even more complicated, right, like where you're like, okay, so when things happen, there is an there are like multiple layers to do everything. Does that make sense what I'm trying to say. Yeah, it's like forming new understandings for new Like when when when our dog passed away, somebody said to me about grief. They were like, you're you still have a relationship with that dog. It's just that you're forming a new relationship with them within their new identity as a dead person. And it's kind of like that with trauma in a way where you're like, I'm forming a new relationship with it decade a decade or more or less with it now where I'm like, okay, those things that have happened, like ultimately you took those things and created an amazing life out of it, and like, so my relationship to it is like it no longer controls me. I'm empowered over it, and I'm like a co creator of it as opposed to like because I took it and like learned from it and created my life from it.
Speaker 6: And so I'm not a victim. I'm a co creator. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Just for yeah, just for clarification, because people listening to this, I know it's a whole podcast, Well no, they know PD that is your previous.
Speaker 7: Also, do not look to me for therapy advice, Like, I don't know. I'm not a professional. I am back here in my nervous system, wiring it with with like three manuals, trying my best. Like we're trying a little bit of everything and seeing what works. But you know, forgiveness has been a big uh, and like forming a new relationship to victimization is a whole thing right now for me.
Speaker 4: So front of mind, here's something I thought was interesting the first when Edward was like, nah, a guy, I gotta go. I gotta pay for this. I gotta pay for this. I was like, you are paying for this. It's like you you are doing things, you are helping people, you are doing good. That is the paying for it. And then when he was doing his whole speech about I got so many a there was a part of me it was like, okay, but to an extent, you took the easy way out by just kind of succumbing to the guilt and letting these things happen. But then I thought about it more because I like to think about things, and I go, oh, he has he has decided. Understandably, these victims' families will never rest until I am properly cared for taking care of However, probably so so, because at first it's like, well, you died for nothing. You died, You just robbed the world of like of a wonderful civil servant, you know, or Glass or a Gammi maker. Then I went, oh, no, wait a minute, Okay, he elected to let himself die even though he himself didn't exactly carry out these crimes because these other people clearly.
Speaker 3: It was for their benefits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which, yeah, completely recon sexualizes it in my mind. Actually took a minute to think about it, because at first I was like, well, this is nice, but I don't think this was the right choice. And then I was like, well, this is nice, and now it's a complicated choice.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, I was just gonna say, Also, I feel like for him like because of the way they reprogrammed their personalities, they want to live a life of service. He was he was happy, Yes, right, so that for him is not suffering, Like that's not punishment that he wants.
Speaker 3: To Does it matter what?
Speaker 4: Like I read this, I read you go ahead, then I'll then I'll say, no, that's it, Like.
Speaker 2: It's because that's the whole idea like that we have of prisons. Should prisons before a punishment or should they be for like.
Speaker 3: What do you call it? What's the other word?
Speaker 2: Rehabilitation, rehability, rehabilitation, And people in like you know, America and Canada do a certain get get very upset when they see like Nordic prisons. It's like, but they're not suffering.
Speaker 4: It's like they're doing are getting mandatory. What what I was gonna say was I read this hilarious. The other day I saw this. It was like a tweet or not not a tweet, but you know, a blue sky or something that was a quote of some story from some time. This is I don't know, it's it's it's our it's a whatever where this guy was the story of this guy. He goes a rich guy goes to his rabbi, and he says, hey, you know, Rabbi, I want to I want to start an orphanage and I want to I want to help the needy kids. His rabbi says, it's great. You should absolutely do that. You should take you know, if you want to take some of your enormous amounts of money and start an orphanage, you should absolutely do that. And then a month later the guy comes back with the rabbits Rabbi, listen, I realized I shouldn't do this. I shouldn't start the orphanage. I only wanted to start orphanage because it would make me look better, and it wasn't for the kids. It was for me. And I wanted to start an orphanage for myself because I wanted people to think I was the kind of guy who would make kids lives better. And the rabbi says, who gives a shit? Are you the kids don't care?
Speaker 2: I know exactly exactly like I had that thought when watching Good The Good Place. It's like Tohani did still raise a lot of money, Like why is it? Why does it sorry spoilers for whatever.
Speaker 3: Why why is the fact.
Speaker 1: That she raised the money because it would make her look good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: My thought process the guy was, I was like, Okay, you are doing this because you were programmed to do it, You're still doing it.
Speaker 3: It's the opposite of impact. It mitigates intent. Like it like, yeah, if you say, oh, I'm sorry, I hurt your feelings, but I didn't mean to, so I'm okay, it's the opposite of this. It's like, well, I didn't I did this for the wrong reasons, but I still did the thing, and that the thing, the action, is still more important than the fact that you did it for the wrong reasons because the action that's actually affecting change.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, like that that sorry thing you were talking about earlier. That's how I explained it to kids. It's like, I know you didn't mean to step on his foot, but his foot was stepped on. Do you think that felt good?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do you feel bad that it felt bad? Yeah? Okay, then you can say sorry because it felt bad for them, Like you don't have to. Saying sorry does not mean you did it on purpose.
Speaker 4: It just means had an effect.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you had pain that I was the call like, that's yeah.
Speaker 4: We soon should let you guys. Great, counsel so that we can do the out of there. But before we do that, Lida walked out of a ore lineh rolled up. Yeah yeah, I threatened to ship out of Lano A plus amazing scene. God bless Patricia Talman. She's my favorite person in the world. I love Talia Winters Andrea Thompson great whatever, Yeah, sure, okay, Patricia Tomman leda Alexander a.
Speaker 1: Fight while we have the great cancel.
Speaker 4: I can see it right now, you know, fictional, Well you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, no, I'm talking between it's Alia and Da that's gonna be the fighting or Talia Alida Alia.
Speaker 6: She's my favorite person in the world and.
Speaker 4: His wife I feel how do you feel about Talia Winter's Alley favorite person in the world. There you go, there you uh?
Speaker 9: And then she was.
Speaker 4: She was getting vorlon directly applied directly to the forehead.
Speaker 7: And it was it being sucked into her or was she being sucked into it? It came out of her which direction where we're going.
Speaker 4: And now directly into and she got the fucking gills and we're right into Caush's fucking face hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking for my closest dark crystal toys which are actually not reachable, but yet she was giving the essence sucked out of her like a gulfling? What adling?
Speaker 4: What a fuck? Who was any of that? Yeah, she's clearly addicted to Vorlon or on Vorlon life support or something, or CAUs is like vamporizing her. Is this like a fucking White Court vampire sort of thing? Do people get addicted to the Vorlons and then they have to follow around and the Borlon's feet off of their energy?
Speaker 7: Is this a fucking tom and assuming dress and angels that it's not a negative thing.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It looked pretty bad.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was that I'd look good. I think I think it's possible that he just kind of, like you know, gets carried around.
Speaker 4: He used the brain suck monster after all.
Speaker 7: Sorry, go ahead, And maybe sometimes he needs to be incognito and he needs to just occupy somebody's mind for a little while.
Speaker 4: Is he just riding her around like a flesh puppet?
Speaker 6: Yeah kind of think so that's my theory.
Speaker 3: Flesh puppet.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's that cool? Well?
Speaker 6: I think they brought her back to life in exchange, like.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be little.
Speaker 7: Orleans have a history of using people to their purposes, right with Jack the Ripper as an example. Right, Lada the Ripper needs to be present in order to help them do something, maybe fight the csichor.
Speaker 4: It's weird. Oh wait a minute, Oh the cash will protect me because okay, because he's in her is she just carrying caush arounds?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sometimes he's just carrying cash around.
Speaker 6: I think sometimes weird. I think sometimes she's a flash, like she's a mean suit.
Speaker 7: Like okay, like theoretically right that like Lowy's stuff is probably like soul as example, right, I mean that they're usually sold talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kaush dar Huran, what's going on? Like like like another wheel of time reference. I'm sorry for all the non wheel of time people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So keep all.
Speaker 4: This in the comment comments about how much you hate the wheel of time at us because it helps stop talking about it.
Speaker 3: We know, we know we're not going to stop talking about it.
Speaker 4: We're not going to I'm sorry, best I can okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Well, but I do want to get to the Great Cantil. But there's like three other things I want to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Guys, say, I can't remember what I got interrupted.
Speaker 4: I can't remember it all.
Speaker 6: Okay, probably wasn't that important.
Speaker 3: That's all right.
Speaker 1: The first one is going to be real quick.
Speaker 2: I just always thought it was a funny thing that brother Edward says at the very beginning of the episode where they're joking about gambling, He's like, I've always done.
Speaker 3: If you want to go for the sin, you got to go for the big one.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, serial killer, Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: The second big thing I want to talk about is this episode almost didn't happen, and people, I bet you there've already been comments with people.
Speaker 3: Telling you.
Speaker 4: The Patreon right now.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. The reason this episode almost didn't happen is because of something we've talked about before is he started writing this episode, I think in season two, and somebody accidentally suggested the concept of the episode.
Speaker 1: To him while he was writing it, and he was.
Speaker 2: Like, fuck, I can't write it now because like they're gonna think that I wrote them, and then it's going to be a whole big thing. He literally got them, it, says finally, very chagrined over what happened, the individual gave me a notarized form explaining the situation, and at that point he was able to reactivate.
Speaker 4: Sorry, this is why, this is why writers can't listen to other people's ideas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is why you can't.
Speaker 4: This is why you can't.
Speaker 3: This is why we can't take that story ideas ever ever, ever.
Speaker 7: Ever, ever, ever had people pitched up to me and I'm like, I have to interrupt you right here, because you're we're going down a path of something I'm already actively working on.
Speaker 4: Glad we got to write it because this was a banger, not just because Leada came back and the fucking Gils what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but he literally had to get like a notarized form from them explaining it. It was like, it's just this whole thing.
Speaker 6: I just decided to leader Leader yeah, because like why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a New Zealand version of Leader Leader Leader it does yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the final thing, I want to ask if you have any thoughts about we got You were very interested while it happened, but then the episode is really good and you forgot about it.
Speaker 3: The lore that was dropped years ago.
Speaker 4: May not of Minbari, what the would not women born women? But he was human? Was he transmuted from another species?
Speaker 2: Is this the thing?
Speaker 4: Is this like a Jeff kind of thing where he was born into another another species?
Speaker 3: I mean, we did that stantiation, but we did we did have we did have this in the same episode that was very Jesus heavy and there's a like, yeah, so it's like of.
Speaker 9: Me but not of me?
Speaker 4: And was he soul born into another body like a Jeff kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Was he?
Speaker 4: Maybe? Was he?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 4: What did you say born into another memory? Sold into another body? Because that's what like the same kind of thing is with Jeff.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I mean I know the answer. I'm these are very right.
Speaker 4: If that's Minbari not of Minbari, I don't know. Maybe yeah that could work.
Speaker 3: Yeah did work? Yeah? No, I know, Okay, I know what. I'm like, you're saying it, and I'm like totally getting I'm getting distracted because I'm hearing of the Ayel and not of the.
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 3: Why is that? I was doing? I know more wheel Tip. It's the nineties.
Speaker 2: It's the nineties, and all these male writers writing in the nineties the exact same story.
Speaker 3: Of the blood, but raised not of the bloud. He's blood. Yes, three hundred years.
Speaker 2: We actually looked earlier.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah they lived no, not that not that long.
Speaker 2: But they live longer than humans, but not they're not like not thousands of years.
Speaker 4: Okay, So he was around a thousand years ago? Yeah, possibly, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Style mm hmm, had we had We've heard the number one thousand before, like a thousand years ago.
Speaker 3: Before we have got from.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say shadows, shadows. Okay, so he was around for shadow time. Okay, he was there when the shadow Man came.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, the shadow Man.
Speaker 4: They came and they stole the shadow Man.
Speaker 3: Uh, bring me a shadow.
Speaker 4: Okay. They can can they track soul? They can kind of track souls? No, they can't track souls? Can they kind of try?
Speaker 3: Oh them just like your car? Yes, can trap them in little glass balls.
Speaker 4: They trap him and little No the guy did hi peity Hello, oh God?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Wow, we talked about the tracking souls before, but we never fully decided on Wow, he just fully decided here.
Speaker 3: Now can join us? Yeah.
Speaker 4: They bring up Balen a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sorry, Bobby, you can go back down. I'm sorry, I need to grab your face.
Speaker 4: How many times is Valain come up?
Speaker 3: And isn't that what what Lanier said? When when didn't he say Valen? When when Cosh turned into an angel's name.
Speaker 4: Name or something like?
Speaker 3: I think he said Valerio Valria. That's right, that's what.
Speaker 4: That's always fucking Valeria Valeria and the Valor and Valen. It's always v A L. What do these science fiction fantasy writers have with V A L? What is going on?
Speaker 2: It sounds, it feels very it feels very good in your mouth. Hilarious speaking of things that feel good in your mouth.
Speaker 3: Anyway, thank you for but finishing. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Definitely getting the explicit tag unemployable. Yes, hey, I'm not trying to work in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: Is cool?
Speaker 2: I have an avatar.
Speaker 1: They can't see my.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I don't know Valaen. I don't know what else. This is the one thing that I can't figure it. I don't know he apparently he did it. He was.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, your face got real serious.
Speaker 3: I was like, what happened?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, never mind, it's not worth following. I don't think it's well, no, it's a stretch. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wanted to stretch, but never mind, I won't force the stretch because she never forced the stretch.
Speaker 3: It's bad, but I most only we had a telepath in the room who couldn't no, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 6: Let it go, or I'll burn every synaps you have.
Speaker 4: That was a good scene.
Speaker 2: I like that one. I like her.
Speaker 4: She's cool. No, yeah, Valain came up, did a Jeff thing. I guess maybe a thousand years ago he did a Jeff thing, did a Jeff thing. If he was if he was a Minbarry, she put out of him. No, if he was, if he was of the Minbari but not he was the Minbari but not of the Minbari, then it would make sense he was born into another species the same way that the minbar and Jeff.
Speaker 3: They just discovered that. Like I have to just say, like, maybe they just discovered that and they never understood what it meant, like word of the blood rates blood or whatever, because Liner said it like he's been like saying it his whole life.
Speaker 4: Yes, but maybe they were like humans really, you know, because I feel like that's kind of thing where if it had been happening elsewhere, they were like, yeah, sure, you know, this happens every now and again humans, What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah right right, so okay, I could see that that those are all the things.
Speaker 2: I literally highlighted them in my notes because the amount of times I've gotten to Great Council and realized I forgot to ask you something.
Speaker 3: Something. When you listen to Great Council, you'll hear Jenny say, oh shit, I forgot to ask them about the.
Speaker 4: Thing, like we'll be back. We'll be back in like thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: That's true, probably yes, yes, so yeah, so go away not PDPD can.
Speaker 4: See he can stay with the camera on the seat. O cay f, I'm talking about my friends.
Speaker 9: You have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council. Here we speak of things that must not be spoken, secrets, betrayals, spoilers. If you are not ready, turned back now that if you dare to proceed, I promise you it will be.
Speaker 4: Manificent. We forget a baldy.
Speaker 1: Well, damn, some.
Speaker 2: Of it's so wrong, some of it's so fucking right, And I think you don't even remember the stuff that's fucking right.
Speaker 3: I probably don't. But also when he was like Balin's like Jeff and I was like, oh, I was, I wasn't paying attention, did you just I know, I think it was my acting how it was an emmy it was good.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, oh, yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: Like a thing from Wheel of Time. That's why it triggered me, because I literally didn't know what to say.
Speaker 2: I was just like, yeah, yeah, I know he called it. And then but but he doesn't quite know what he's called. Like he's saying it like it's it's like a Jeff.
Speaker 3: It's literally the kind of thing that happened with Jeff. But I was just literally like I he said it, and I just stopped breathing, and I was like, it's all over my face. It's all over my face. Pretend I stuff. I wasn't listening. What Yeah, yeah, I did the dumb blonde.
Speaker 1: But you are literally right, it's Minbari, not a Minbari ieel of the blood, but not raised by it, like it's the same.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing. It's you know, yeah, and I mean, which is a Jesus thing God and Cardet raised by you like it's a whole bit. So yes, the other thing that Ali got right is he's just she's just carrying cash around. Yes, that's literally what she's doing. She's carrying now, it's probably not all of cost, but she's carrying pieces of because she, like the Vorlin, can split their consciousness a bit and they will put it in because they're not corporeal, right, so they put their consciousness in her. And that's going to be a big thing. That is at the end, when Kosh dies, she doesn't have any of caution her, but Bruce does. Sheridan has a piece of caution him that he does he's unaware of.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then later on it becomes important that because after Kush is dead, he still has that piece of caution.
Speaker 3: Him for a bit. Also. It was the first example of of of Bruce using of Sheridan using Lyda. Yes, I was really uncomfortable with that. I was like, oh, it just felt like it was like get in your telebat, bitch. I don't know, it's just yes, but he it's.
Speaker 2: Not this one. I mean, obviously it's this one is I don't think she's upset about it.
Speaker 3: I know it's fine. It is a through line. It's a through line with him that I see. And it felt like where it felt like the opening the floodgates of it, and and the permissive moment of it of being like, oh, I'm allowing it now, So we're just going to make this third normal thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been like debates in my server about this affair bit. But yeah, I just it's I really like Sheridan. I actually I very much adore him. I think he's fantastic too. This is to me, his character flawed. Is not seeing telepaths as fully their tools in his mind. I don't, at least the way I perceive him. And I just think that it's a thing that you can see is evidence where he'll just like.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, here you are.
Speaker 2: But like and then what he doesn't want her around? He doesn't even think about her. Yeah, Like yeah, it's just you know, it's yeah, weird, it is. No, it's just it's uncomfortable for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The other thing that they didn't bring up, and I was like fine with that. It's really funny because I'm been hesitant to bring it up. We have not seen Marcus since the first episode, no, and you know, and he's there at the top of show, and I'm just waiting for them to be like, oh is he is he going to be? I mean, they keep saying about KINNICKI, but like, is he going to be the new the new Keffer, which he's not, but like, but he's really not. I keep and I don't remember the order and the timing of things. So every episode I'm like about to say the word Marcus, and I don't want to say it, like I'm so familiar. I don't want to be like because right now it looks like he's gonna pull a keffort. So I haven't been wanting to mention him, but uh, I'm really desperate to get back to him. I love me some ranger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marcus great, I really like he loves Marcus. I like Marcus. I think Marcus is neat. He's like, yeah, other things spoiler worthy of talking. Oh, just going back to Leda, Ali thinks Leda died.
Speaker 3: No, she didn't die. She was almost unconscious.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 3: They're not that level.
Speaker 2: Although we do get a first one kind of raising someone from the dead in Bruce, but sort of but not really but kind of sort of. They read whatever they like, re did what was in him? Basically, what does he say? I blew on the embers of life that were still in him minutes.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the exact words, but anyway, the point is Leader was not almost unconscious. But the other spoilery thing to talk about is Garibaldi's thoughts about the cheese was. And I am gonna just because I know that there are people like there are people who watch the reaction who don't necessarily listen to the podcast, the people who listen to the podcast that don't watch the reaction the cheese was. What that's referring to is at one point during one of the segments, guest said something about adding personality to somebody, and I am very old, and I remember a commercial from the eighties about cheese Whiz at personality personality. Remember, so I animated it as cheese Whiz as like when they mind wipe you and give you a new personality.
Speaker 3: I animated it as cheese Whiz going into a brain.
Speaker 2: And so now when we talk about the mind like new personality thing, we talk about cheese Whiz, Garibaldi is going to become intimately uh involved in the cheese Whiz when Bester does a ship to his brain and basically changes his personality and makes him betray Sheridan, but that's going to happen next season.
Speaker 1: It's just very interesting here in Garibaldi talk about how much he thinks.
Speaker 2: It's horrible, hates this, Yeah, and it's great, but he doesn't think it's Yeah, he doesn't think it's horrible for the reasons of what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: He thinks it's horrible because he just loves them dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, but he does seem so thing he does he did. I mean, he did say like, yeah, I think the death penalty would have been better and they shouldn't just get this whatever second chance kind of thing. But he also like there's something I feel like there was something that he said when we discussed it earlier, when it came up earlier that was just sort of like and it's also it's also creepy, like you know, to like, I can't.
Speaker 1: Remember exactly that. I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, but it is but yes, it'll be Uh. It's another example of JMS doing just like these little bread crumbs, the little tiny crumbs that he's using to just drop and set the path.
Speaker 1: I try not to say.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, he's laying the.
Speaker 2: People he's fully laying by they are, and that like this one is so subtle because if if you are just watching it the first time, you're like, oh, yeah, he's talking about this because that's what's going to be involved in this episode. But like on a rewatcher like way, like that's huh interesting that Garibaldi, of all people is the one who's having the strong feelings about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So anyway, those.
Speaker 1: Are all of my notes about this episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, did you have any I didn't take any specific notes on this one because so I figured we would actually just talk about so much of it. But I just I do think and this isn't really spoilery at all, but they're just like I just think it's such a I just think it's such a lovely episode of symbolism and subtext and mirrored storylines like in mirrored mythologies, and like it's just a really for the writing side of it is just such a it's such a fun thing to see all of the like all of the parallels that he's putting down and uh yeah and then knowing where a lot of them are going. It's you know, oh, just it's pretty masterful. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and this one it feels to me like the first Bomb episode in that I don't think this is necessary for the story, and yet I love it, Like this is not this is you know, you could pull this one out and the story could still continue. This is not a huge part of the The only thing in this that's a huge part of the over Archie's leader. Yeah, yeah, but you could literally put that in the beginning, in the end of any episode exactly.
Speaker 3: It's not. Yeah, like the meat of this.
Speaker 2: Episode is not necessary, and I love the meat.
Speaker 4: Of this episode.
Speaker 3: It's so good. It's so good, And like I said, I could watch I could watch Brother Theo all day every day. I'm just enamored with him. I love him. I love to hear him talk. He's so soothing. It's such a nice piece of casting. They're like, we're going to give him a better role, and like, you gave him the role. This was the role he was supposed to And it's not that different from Drawl in the sense that Drawl was her St Lens mentor and came from that space and that like same philosophy place. But it's so it's just so lovely. I'm like, you're the kind of person who as a as a clergy leader, as the head of a as the head of a faith organization, keeps people there. Yeah, you know, it's very like no judgment and comforting and soothing and yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, it's hilariously.
Speaker 2: I think drawl is a big part of the next episode and the next episode actually was supposed to be episode four, but the next episode has a lot of special effects.
Speaker 3: So they got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got bumped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, love that and that also makes sense what we'll see when we get there. We'll talk about them, okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is like we're running these back to back, so yeah, a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Like this is like there are certain episodes when I think about Babylon five that come to mind, and this is one of them, which I always find weird because, like I said, it doesn't like, you know, there are episodes that have to do with the plot and like, oh yeah, that's a plot episode, but this is one of those ones. It's just like it's just an examination to me, and like I said, it does to me very much feel like and he doesn't say this really in the in a bit in that passage that I read, but it feels like very much looking back on a time in his life where he had faith and belief and being like, this was a good thing about that belief that I like and miss and I'm just gonna spend some time examining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, those are my thoughts. I love it, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess that's that's it for this episode. And I was gonna say that's it for today. But it's not weird good but for you it is for us, for you not it is not. But yeah, if you like this, son, you might want to check out Our Reaction, which is up on YouTube, and you can check out our Patreon for unedited versions of the Reaction early access actually versions of the audio version of this podcast. Sometimes random other ship that we do for I don't know, you get that as well. And I also get a super secret channel in my discord where super secret shit happens. It's super secret and so I'm not you're telling you about it and you can do all of that never and never, And I also like a subscribed and I still keep forgetting to ask Gus if we get any ratings or reviews because I don't know how to check that.
Speaker 3: So do that and maybe we'll hype hype it up.
Speaker 2: Yes, hip and like liking the video. If you're watching this on YouTube, I know that I know what that does. That actually helps hype. Maybe no clue, so but do all of that. That was a big long outro, So do it all.
Speaker 3: I'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Level on