Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company hour number two here on a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us on a chili very fall like day today, which I enjoy, But I didn't enjoy the weird weather on my way in. I think somebody is it hailing somewhere here in the Kentuckiana region.
Speaker 3: I heard Jay Cardosi mentioned some Yes.
Speaker 2: That's not good hails, kind of scary. But I am enjoying the cool temperatures. I know some people probably hate it, and I get it. You know, everybody's got their preferences when it comes to weather, and I would say I'm probably in the minority, not that people don't enjoy fall and you know the holiday season that comes later in the year, of course, in the actual winter. But I'm not some body that really has impacted whenever it gets dark outside earlier. But it's a true, like it's a true issue for people to wear like their morale like it it's you know, seasonal depression, like it's a real thing. So, you know, condolences to those that are about to be very sad, but I can't relate. I mean, hoodie, we got hoodies out, we got you know, bonfire season is here.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it's good to say with.
Speaker 4: I'm still somebody. I'm put the shorts away pretty late. I'm still wearing my khaki shorts today. I'll probably wear regular shorts too throughout the week. But I usually I try to, you know, delay putting the jeans on.
Speaker 3: That type of stuff. Why. I don't know this comfort or what I think. I think it's a comfort thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, I enjoy jeans, but also even when the weather is cooler, I kind of just like having summertime clothes on.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, I I'm a routine guy. So like, you know, the shorts are still there, but like I haven't, you know, unless I'm like at home laying around the house. I've been jeans, joggers, that kind of stuff. And it's you know, it's cozy, especially whenever it's it's chilly outside. But it should be in the mid or low seventies. I think it's low seventies on Saturday, which should be perfect honestly, and the sun is supposed to be shining again a lot a lot of that can change when it comes to you know, the forecast. But Saturday is setting up to be a beautiful afternoon at ellen N Cardinal Stadium. And as we just learned about thirty minutes ago, thirty minutes or so ago from a press release from UVL, they have sold out the game. So the louisvill Miami game is sold out, which I'll admit it, I didn't expect that, especially you knowing that you know it's at noon, and I would say, well, I don't know, maybe everybody's schedules different, But when it comes to you know, making arrangements to get a babysitter or you know, just you know, because you go to a game and you plan on tailgating, like you're spending, regardless of the game's at noon or if it's in the afternoon or the evening, I mean, it's a big chunk of your Saturday. And with that, you know, people need to make arrangements. And I think people are less inclined to make arrangements for something if it's if it's noon, But hey, it's sold out and that's that's what you want. Third sellout, As I mentioned a moment ago, Third sellouts since Jeff Brohm.
Speaker 3: Has has been here.
Speaker 2: All right, so we have to talk some basketball as it's also not really in season, but getting close. Right, We're six days away from Louisville having an exhibition game, and you know that's exciting. We'll actually see them play against a different opponent, and I'm sure they will will handle whoever it is they play. I meant to look it up earlier, but I didn't. Either way, I feel confident. I feel confident in saying that that is going to be like the first uh. I mean, it's gonna be the first thing that really stands out as far as how bad the previous regime was. Not that we don't already know that, but like getting past these exhibition opponents is something we couldn't do the last couple of years. So I'm sure they'll and in fact, I'm now even more confident not only that they're gonna win, but like they may blow this team off the off the floor. And it is Young Harris College, not old Harris, not middle aged Harris, but Young Harris College. That's who they play. And I've never I've never heard of them. They're in Pennsylvania, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: They are. Yeah, they're another in Georgia. Oh well look what I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe that you're maybe you're thinking old Harris. This is this is a young.
Speaker 4: Harrison Town State, is what I'm thinking of the Pennsylvania aren't they.
Speaker 3: Now they're Ohio? Are you in Youngstown in the city that is called young Yeah, I mean I'm looking like it's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean again, like that's why whenever we do discuss these kind of teams, I say things like butt crack State, because like, it really doesn't matter what their name is, and this team is probably gonna get killed. I mean not, I don't think there's any probably to it. I would say that they they get they get demolished by Louisville, not because Louisvill is e lead. I mean, that's what a team like Louisville is supposed to do when you play these kind of teams. But Pat Kelsey said any minute. It wasn't just you know, coach speak. He said, they're gonna prepare for that game just like they would be playing Duke. And I just think that's his routine. He's super organized, super detailed, and you know, the not gonna be any game Rather it be exhibition, conference game, non conference game, tournament game. Like they're going to stick to a routine and a plan as far as how they prepare, how they get ready, and you know, don't mean it's gonna work. I mean, I think it'll work against Young Harris College, but it's gonna be weird for me, Like I don't want to be the guy that's like bragging on a coach who's you know, doing his job. But we went a few years without really seeing that happen, so it is kind of exciting. We'll let you hear more from from Pat Kelsey coming up here a little bit later on. Also at four thirty, we are going to bring in David Hale of ESPN. We will get his thoughts on this Louisville Miami matchup. He of course covers the ACC for ESPN, and this is certainly a big matchup within conference play. I wish Louisville was in the same spot Miami was, meaning undefeated in conference play. But hey, a win here could go a long way for Louisville. Easier said than done, but you really can put yourself in a spot to look at the rest of your schedule after that, you know, again, I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if they do find a way to win this game, then I think we can start having this the type of conversations we were having a few weeks ago, and they actually, you know it actually be real, right. I mean, I just for Louisville to go on a run here and really finish strong and you know, beat Miami, beat Clemson at their place, pits in the top twenty. I mean, it's not that I'm telling you there's no scenario any of those things are going to happen. I'm just willing to acknowledge that six games in this team has kind of shown me who they are. And they did take steps in the right direction on Saturday against Virginia on the road and they found a way to win and that was great. But they're still making avoidable mistakes that can in any moment, you know, cost you a game, can flip a game in the other direction. And I'm not asking for perfection, and you know, not like they got to go out and prove anything to me, but I think they need to prove it to themselves. And I think Saturday was a big step because a loss there could have really, it really could have sent this season in the direction at a really high rate of speed.
Speaker 3: But they found a way to win.
Speaker 2: And now this opportunity is there and hopefully they make the most of it. Right And even if you do play really well and you lose, that's still gonna be tough because that gives you two losses in conference play. But I just hope that it's not a loss where you look back and look at penalties, you look at.
Speaker 3: Bad play calls, you look.
Speaker 2: At you know, just avoidable mistakes, things that like have nothing to do with Miami being really good. Just it's you not being able to get out of your own way. Like that's what That's what I fear is that you play them close. It's competitive, but when when you go back, it's it's a game that you feel like, man, if we just were better, if we were a little bit more sharp and more sound and then sync, then we would be you know, we've been in a much different situation and you'd have to look in the mirror if that's how it plays out. But we'll see, we shall see something else that we did just discuss in the three o'clock hour for those just now joining us. Rick Patino, you know, he was obviously in Lexington this past weekend. We talked a lot about that yesterday, but Pat Kelsey was asked about Rick Pittino ever coming back to Louisville, and he was all so asked about his relationship with Chris mac as those two have essentially just traded jobs. I hadn't really thought about it that way, but it's absolutely what happened, and you know, for what it's worth, and I'm not surprised at all that he said it, but he would welcome Patino back at any moment, and I don't know fans would agree, especially right now, but.
Speaker 3: I think eventually that will happen.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if we're any I mean, I think it could be a long long time before that happens. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe it doesn't ever happen, but I still think. And we've had a few people and we'll get to the fole lines in just one second, but we've had a few people on the text line mentioned that, like, at this point, what scenario would bring him back? And it is clear if in fact there's ever anything done where they can hang that banner again, and I'm not saying there will be or if there needs to be, I mean, I mean, I would hope that they eventually can because I know it would be special for those guys. But my thoughts about twenty thirteen title team. I don't often sit around and think, like, man, I wish we would have won the twenty thirteen title we did within the NCAA told us that we didn't.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: That's not how my mindset is because I'm an you know, I mean, who would.
Speaker 3: Who would do that?
Speaker 2: But if they ever do get clearance from the NCAA, or they just say they don't care and they decide to rehang the banner, or if there's you know, I mean, we're only you know, maybe at the fifteen year reunion if they do that for the twenty thirteen team, or maybe I don't know, maybe it's the twenty year reunion in twenty thirty three, long way away, right. Rick will be very very old at that point. But I would say something that honors the scenario where he's back, is where they're honoring that team or that era in those players who are close to Rick and mean a lot to Rick, they want him to be there. I have a hard time thinking he would say that, No, he wouldn't come. So you know, I'm not saying he's just itching for an invite, but I think that scenario is not that far fetched to see it play out, but it probably won't be, you know, anytime soon. It doesn't need to be like Louisville and they're I mean, I think right now. Again, no games have been played, there's not in any results to assess at this point, but I can just sense the there is a lot of good energy with Loell Hoops right now, and there's nothing to do with the Rick Betino.
Speaker 3: It's about Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 2: You just got the job, and you know fans are excited about it, myself included. All right, let's go to the phone linees Fibot two if I'm seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. Let's welcome in kirk Kirk. How you doing this afternoon, sir?
Speaker 6: Hey, how you doing today? Mister coffee?
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you, Good to hear from you, Good.
Speaker 6: To talk to you again.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: I you know I wanted to put my two cents on this Rick Betino thing. I know you've headed up to your eyebrows in it, but you know I've been a Louisville fan for all my life. I'm fifty four years old, and uh uh, I have zero problem with him going to Kentucky. I mean, you know, look what the guy's done there. You know, he's he he's a legend, and you know, just for us to even have him for the time we had him, I'm I'm surely grateful for that. I guess the only thing I've seen a problem with was he was wearing the UK shirt and then the next day he's got the Saint John shirt on, and I kind of see that that's a little bit of problem for their fans, because if he's coaching Louisville and he goes to Kentucky and he puts on a Kentucky shirt, I'm I'm kind of gonna have a problem with that. So, you know, so I just was just, you know, thinking their fans are probably the ones that are having more of the problem with it than the Louisville fans. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate the call, Kirk, good to hear from you, and I'll say this, man, like I thought about Saint John's fans Friday night when I saw him wearing the blue at the football or at the big blue madness. I mean, it would have been kind of awkward for him to be out there wearing Saint John's gear, But you know, he could have wore I he could have wore suit, could have war something neutral, And I don't think it's a I mean, it kind of makes sense that he wore blue, but the fact that he is currently coaching at A I mean, they're not a rival by any means, but like Saint John's is a big East program that has legitimate expectations. This year, Patino loaded up in the portal. Like I think we still don't really view him as like a thread in the grand scheme of college basketball, just because you know, it's been so long since he's he's been a big factor, right, Like they almost the tournament last year at Saint John's and maybe they break through this year.
Speaker 3: But you know, like.
Speaker 2: Kirk, the first thing, I really you know, I and I have no clue, but like, does Saint John's really have like a big fan base like their New York's team, But like I think it's just whenever they're good, Like people that live in New York were like, Oh, we've got a team here in town that's actually pretty good when it comes to college hoops. Let's go to the Garden when they play there. Like, I'm sure they do have fans. I'm not acting like they have no fan base at all, but like, I don't really know if there's this big mob of Saint John's fans that would feel a certain.
Speaker 3: Way about it.
Speaker 2: But if they did, I would get it, because keep in mind Patino returning to Big Blue Madness. I mean that got a ton of attention. And I'm not just talking about around here. I mean he got a ton of attention in the college basketball world, and you know, it just probably wouldn't make you feel good to see your coach, even if you understand why he's there and what's going on, like him probably getting more coverage then he's maybe gonna get all year. This year is at an event for another school where he's wearing their gear, and it's just unusual. But again, Rick, like Rick gets away with things other coaches wouldn't get away with. People don't really bad an eye with certain things he says and does because it's just him being him, and he's been pretty consistent for many, many, many years. You know, Like, I think both things can be true. I think he's happy for Mark Pope that he got the job, and I think it's really special to know that a guy that's now leading that program was a captain and won a championship for him. Like I'm not saying that he doesn't care about it at all. But again, when I say both things can be true. The other thing I'm talking about, outside of him being genuine and being happy for Pope, Rick saw an opportunity to make something all about him and he's done that for years, Like that's just who he is. We don't have to know him personally to know that's that's on brand for him to do that. But yeah, Saint John's fans like I saw, I mean I saw a lot of people, even Kentucky fans, not just louisvill fans, but like it was a pretty common reaction. Wow, people forget he coaching at Saint John's. I wonder what their fans think. I'd be pissed, But I haven't seen the single Saint John's fan online that was upset. And it might not be because they are you know, understanding and don't care. It might be because there's not many of them out there, Like what is their fan base? Again, I'm sure they have fans, but like I can't think of, like I mean, I don't know a Saint John's fan. When I think of basketball fans in New York, I don't really even think college hoops fans. I think mostly I think mostly of the NBA, and when I was in New York for the for the Big East Tournament a couple of times, you know, and before the league split up, and you know, obviously it's a different world now. Like anybody that was there that was from New York. They were cheering on Syracuse And it might have been because QS was a lot better than Saint John's.
Speaker 4: But maybe Saint John's is more of like the Catholic fan base.
Speaker 7: That could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could be.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just again, I maybe I'm way off and they have this big old fan base that I'm just unaware of. But like I mean, I've not even I don't think I've ever even seen like a presence of them online. And that doesn't speak to the fact that that doesn't mean they don't have any fans, but like if you're somebody that is active on like Twitter and whatnot, or even Trillie Donovan's discord or message boards, you know, like you can at times get a get a you can get a feel for like what kind of presence a fan base has online and like like for example, like Providence Providence basketball fans. I would I wouldn't think that that's a huge fan base in the grand scheme of things as far as the amount of them, but like they're they're nuts, Like they're like they're crazy, So you never know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, thank you for the call, Kirk. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the thol lines. Now we'll welcome in Jerry, who joins us on Sports Talk seven ninety. What has happened in Jerry? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 7: Hey Ben Nick.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you.
Speaker 7: Hey, yeah, real quick, So I want to I got one question, a bunch of comments, and then I'll ask you my last question. My first question is did you read the Eric Crawford article about Rick someday coming back to Louisville bringing Crumb up in the article and all that? Did you read? I not know.
Speaker 2: I saw piece from Eric earlier today about Pat Kelsey's team, but I have not seen what he wrote about Rick Patino. I want to check that out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's well anyway, in the article he talks about basically is what he's saying, as Patino should should look at Crumb because Crumb came around. But he but he, but he he mentioned the bitterness, and and I was a big Crumb fan. But I've never understood the his bitterness, his current wife that he had when he passed away, his bitterness, his ex players, and some of the hardcore Denny fans being bitter about the whole thing. Because let me, let me touch on a couple of things. I went back and looked and Denny's last four years, and like I say, he was awesome, man. I mean, you know, it's like I tell people to do what he did, practicing out of cropper gym and dancing around horse horse horse events at Freedom Hall, you know, in juggling dates with rodeos and all that craft he did. He worked wonders, okay, But in his last four years Crumb was sixty two and sixty two with two NCAA tournament appearances, no wins, okay in that time, two losing seasons. Not in his last four years, but in his last six years he had like two losing seasons. I set through one of them as a season ticket holder when he went twelve and twenty two one year. Yet yet when he left, I went back and looked at it, and Eric didn't mention this in his article. They he did mention the first day. I'm getting ready to say they gave him two million dollars, okay, but then they gave him three hundred and thirty eight thousand dollars for fifteen years. They gave him an office on campus and a secretary in a title under then President John Schumacher. They gave him a ticket allotment and all that other thing. So the bitterness I will never understand.
Speaker 6: I'm a grad.
Speaker 7: You know I'm a fan, but I'm not a big booster. Yet during that time, I was so frustrated. I called Tom Jerridge. He didn't know me from Adam. I've still never met the man I called him. I called him one season and then I called him and Denny's last season, and I echoed the same thing both times. Not that I influenced him. I'm sure he was getting a lot of calls, but he, to my surprise, he called me, and not only did he call me, he gave me twenty twenty five minutes of his time both times, and he was very forthcoming, and I was I was shocked how honest he was with me and some of the things he said. Okay, I was for what he did and making the move. I was for him hiring Rick Petino. Okay, uh Patino. When and when twenty thirteen was over, if somebody asked me, and I go way back, as I've told you before, you know, I'm in my sixties, I go way. I've watched them. I've watched a ton of practices in Crawford Gym when I went to you graduated during nineteen eighty three. But anyway, in twenty thirteen, if somebody said, who are you a Crumb guy or Patino guy? I was a Patino guy. Okay, I had switched over. That's just the way it is. But when Patino said that he was going to contribute to UK football, that was enough for me. I was done. I'm like whatever, Okay, but I will say this. I've and I've told this to a lot of people. I'm gonna ask you a question. It's just my opinion. My answer. Who was the big winner when Rick went to Midnight Madness the other night? Who won more than anybody.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe Rick himself, right, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 7: Well, my answer, my answer is Pat Kelsey. Pat Kelsey wins. He's the big winner in my opinion, because the guys that were sort of hanging on to Patinos ill yet maybe me a little bit, you know, you know, pining, pining for those days he was. You know, I'm sort of I'm sort of moved on now. And if he hit the home run, if he hits the home run, he owns this place. Man, I'm telling you, with his personality, the style of ball, he's the winner. He comes out the winner on this deal more than anybody, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and Jerry, I appreciate the call. We got to get your break in just a second because we've got a guest coming up. But I will say this, Yeah, I mean for those that were kind of hanging on a little bit, maybe that ripped the band aid off, so to speak, as far as like, yeah, you know, this guy's kind of shown us that he's more of a he's clearly more blue than he'll ever be red. And you know, maybe it made it a little easier. I just you know, it's because of my age, not to make you sound like an old man Jerry. But I never ever thought about I'm a Rip guy or a Denny guy.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 3: I was, I was both.
Speaker 2: I mean I idolized. I mean, Denny Crumb is what made little of basketball what it is today. And I was so young, like at the time Rick came back. I mean, I was aware that, even at a young age that it was kind of it was kind of, you know, Denny being forced out by Tom. And I'm sure people who love Denny and Denny himself weren't happy about that. But the bitterness, I mean, it was there. I mean quite clearly, it was there, but I didn't feel like that we heard I mean me to me is one of those things that it didn't really become such a public thing until late, like many years down the line. We'll get back into this a little later on. Well, we got a run right now. We got a guest joining us on the other side, so we'll pay some bills and bring him in. He's David Hale from ESBA, who covers college football the ACC for the Four Letter Network. He's with us next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety taking you up till six o'clock. Thanks for hanging out with us, certainly appreciate it. If you are just now joining us. We did get news in the three o'clock hour that the game Saturday, Louisville and Miami is a sellout, So that's exciting. I mean, Lowell does big games pretty well when it comes to atmosphere crowds. In fact, I think they do big events in Louisville, not even just Louisville Cardinals stuff, but you know, when there's something big going on, you know, people like to party, people like to have a good time. If it's you know, a random team coming in town that nobody cares about, yeah they're gonna be fine watching it on TV.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Joining us now to talk about this matchup is mister David Hale, who covers the ACC in college football for ESPN, and how we doing this afternoon, David.
Speaker 5: I'm well, I'm excited for this game. It is a sellout and I will be among the sold out.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, that's all the matters out there. It's all that matters to me is that you're going to be there, and is this. I feel like those who know the AEC pretty well, you are obviously one of those people. Before the season started, when you looked at the schedule, this was probably one of the more intriguing matchups of the of the slate. Is that still the case? Louisville has a couple of losses already that wasn't necessarily expected by folks around here, and in Miami they're undefeated, They're ranked number six in the country. I guess, how would you say these teams have done thus far compared to what you were expecting?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I mean, it's just the bar is set pretty low when you're looking at NC State and Florida State and you know, Virginia Tech all having three or more losses at this point. Like the teams we were expecting to be good have been a mixed bag to say the least. But you know, I think Miami has probably exceeded expectations, at least in terms of entertainment factor, and of course they're undefeated, and then you know Louisville. The frustrating part I think if you're a Louisville fan is the margin between where they are and being exactly where Miami is is razor thin, like they very easily could have won both of those games that they lost. Of course, they could have lost last week two as easily as they won, So sometimes that goes both ways. But I walk away or I walk into this saying I think these are two of the most talented teams in the ACC still in spite of the couple of l's on Louisville's record, and frankly, I would not be surprised at all if this is a game Miami struggles to win, because I think, you know, just if you look at who they've played thus far, and I know they had a couple of close ones with calum Virginia Tech, but I think of all the teams that they've played, this will be their most talented opponent.
Speaker 3: So far before we get to to Louisville.
Speaker 2: I think I have a little bit of a different opinion on Miami than most, and I'll throw it at you and see what you think. Obviously, they are fortunate to have avoided losses in their last two games, with the questionable call and then the reversal of the call against Virginia Tech and then really just a desperation, you know, comeback that worked out for them. I actually think that's you know, again, they could easily have lost, and it proves they're vulnerable against those caliber teams. But I kind of feel like Miami teams of old would have lost those games. I mean, maybe it was just the ref bail on them out, but like I kind of feel like in a weird way, despite it making them vulnerable and some people saying they're not worthy of the number six ranking, I actually think them winning is a big a good sign for Mario Christoval and I think they're I mean again, I feel like most Miami team in the last like twenty years would have not won those games.
Speaker 5: You are, without question, one hundred percent accurate here.
Speaker 3: I hear that lot.
Speaker 5: I'll preface no, and it gets boring after a while being so right. I'll preface this by saying there's not a team worthy of the number six ranking, Like there aren't six really good teams right now. Miami is as good as anyone else you would rank at number six in my opinion, and look, good teams play games like this. I mean, we just watched a absolute like shootout with Georgia and Alabama a couple of weeks ago, where we thought we understood what that meant, and we didn't. But George is a really damn good team that basically did the same thing that Miami did, and that they had just an everything went against you first half and then scrambled and fought and clawed their way back and had a chance to win but didn't. Miami did, And look have they gotten some breaks? Like I'm not really going to say they got a break against Virginia Tech. I think the ultimate call was right. How we got there was lunacy, but the call was right eventually, Like should that have been a targeting in the Cal game? Like, yeah, I think you probably make a pretty strong argument on that. But you know, I sort of made this argument about Miami last year when they lost to Georgia Tech, and everybody's like either arguing the call that it shouldn't have been a fumble or how dumb Mario was for not taking a time out, and forget all of that. Georgia Tech still had to go in March seventy some yards in like forty seconds to get a touchdown to win that game. All the stuff that Miami did against Cal in that fourth quarter is mind bogglingly good and did they get a break along the way somewhere. Absolutely they did, but that doesn't change the fact that all of the other stuff that they did was ridiculously indicative of an incredibly talented team. And part of this all sort of circles back to the quarterback. And I'm not one that wants to make the entire story about the quarterback all the time, but him Ward has changed who Miami is because his personality is just infectious. The level of confidence that he plays with and I said this during the Cal game, like sometimes it's his worst fault too, is the level of confidence that he plays with and he gets him into trouble, but it is also his best strength, and it is infectious with everybody else where. I think this Miami team, particularly after these last two, just feels like, you know, they got all the vibes going in their direction and there's no game that they're going to be out of or be intimidated by. And that is, to your point, a huge step forward from the Miami teams of the last oh I don't know, most of our lifetimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's always been this talk about the you is that are they ever going to be back? And sometimes fans thought they were back and then they learned the hard way that they weren't. And there could be a lot of factors, and there are a lot of factors I'm sure that have kept Miami from, you know, winning a national championship. Not many teams are sharing those this day and age. It's usually the same cast of you know, elite programs that do it. But one of the things that I feel like never gets talked about. Maybe it is and I just don't pay attention, but Miami hasn't had a really really good quarterback in a long time. Like they've had some guys that were fine, but you know, and if you are a program with history like Miami has its one national championship, you know you need it's gonna take a really special quarterback every now and then for you to have a special type of season. And I feel like that's kind of where they are right now. I mean, he you know, you kind of answered my next question anyway, because he is he is that special. Were you were you expecting this from him this year? Because I feel like it was kind of a mixed bag as far as people believing he would come in and really make this big of an impact for Miami, and I think you know the quarterback as you know somebody who covers football like it's a very important position.
Speaker 3: But I think you're right.
Speaker 2: His energy, he's a winner, he's competitive, it's infectious, and I just don't think you can make the kind of comeback they did against Cal without that guy leading you and everybody feeding off of his energy.
Speaker 5: No, I one hundred percent agree with this. And now look what should be said. Well, you'll let me double back to your first point, which it cannot be overstated enough. How bad the QB play has been at Miami for twenty five years. If you go back over the last quarter century and just compare Louisville in Miami and rank the quarterbacks from best to worst, how far down the list do you go before you put a Miami quarterback like, I mean, Louisvill's got at least what the first five?
Speaker 3: I'm a Brad Kaya, Yeah, I mean that's.
Speaker 5: Probably the best one. And that's insane.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Brad, Sorry, Brad Kaya.
Speaker 5: He was a nice guy. I enjoyed covering him. Look, you know, so yes, I mean there, it's just such a huge step up. And did I expect this?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: I thought he would be very good, because everybody that I'd talked to said he's very very good. And I got to know him a little bit as a person this offseason, and you can see the personality like it is, it's real. So you you know, I thought that's a good fit in Miami. All of that works out. But I think what's really probably under talked about here is that for all of the hand ringing over the final record for Miami the last couple of years, it really was sort of going a bit unnoticed how much talent Mario Crystobaal was acquiring to surround this great quarterback. And so you know, I think cam Ward is not a markedly better player today than he was at Washington State, but he has a much better supporting cast in Miami, and that is part of it too, Mario. Look, you know, people can can knock him for his game day coaching. I think that's there's enough evidence that that's not wrong. But the dude like eats, sleeps, and breathes recruiting. I mean, he loves recruiting the way anybody else loves the thing that they love most in their lives. Like there is nothing he loves more than recruiting, and he has really added to the talent level and people are forgetting. Like coming into the season set aside cam Ward, you probably would have said the two top NFL prospects at Miami were Ruben Bain their defensive linemen, and Jalen Rivers their left tackle. Those two guys have missed the bulk of the season, like they're just getting back to healthy now. So like it is, it is a very good football team around cam Ward too. And then when you take a genuinely magical player and put him at the most important position surrounded by good players, the ceiling becomes awfully high.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I think, as we've said, from these last two games, the floor might be a little lower than some of those other top ten teams, but the ceiling is ridiculously high from Miami.
Speaker 2: David Hale is our guests joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety talking about this matchup between Louisville and Miami coming up on Saturday. From the Louisville side of it, I mean, I feel, as somebody who's watched every second of them the first two games, you kind of throw them away because of the opponents. But certainly an encouraging sign when it comes to personnel, and I still feel that way despite them having the lost in Notre Dame, the lost SMU. I think Tyler Shuck's been a really nice addition for Jeff Brom. Isaac Brown's one of the best freshmen in the country. I think ja Cory Brooks has been just what you thought you would get from a guy who was previously catching touchdown passes from Bryce Shung and Alabama. Defensively, you've dealt with some injuries and they've just kind of been a mess. But I just you know, this Louisville team, I still feel as if they knock off anybody left on this schedule, it's not going to be a huge shock because they I think they do have some decent person now certainly some weaknesses, no doubt. The old lines not been probably what Jeff Brom wanted.
Speaker 7: It to be.
Speaker 2: But to see them here with these two losses, knowing they've made so many avoidable mistakes, if you just take like one or two of those mistakes away in those two games that you lost, like you could probably still be a team that's six and ohero But yet you know you have to get better. It's been a really weird year for Louisville thus far. I don't think fans are totally dejected, as we discussed it as a sellout, but I think what has kept Louisville from having a better record at this point is not what anybody would have expected. And that's just a team that continues to hurt themselves. That happens from time to time. But just kind of your thoughts on Jeff brom in year two, kind of you know, having a team that's sloppy, that does make avoidable mistakes more often than most well.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, frankly, luck is a bigger part of outcomes of games than anybody wants to talk about. Or if it's not luck, then it's these very small minor errors. I mean, look, we just decided Oregon must be the number two team in the country in Ohio. State's not as good because of their quarterbacks slid a second too late. If you had split a second earlier, maybe the conversation different. So like, that's what the margin is sometimes. And I think you go back and look at that Notre Dame game, they were one of five on fourth down. If they're two of five on fourth down, I think they probably win that football game. So like, the margins are not big, and frankly, you know, in year one under Jeff Brumm, the coin tosses largely went Louisville's way until the very end of the year. And some of that is, you know, aggression to the mean this year, as the math nerds like to say. But I think this is a better team than last year or overall. And you're right to point out, you know, the injuries on defense, that they were healthier last year, and sometimes bad luck happens with just injuries and the old line is not as good. I think sustaining drives is by far the most important thing. Like you can't have dumb turnovers in the red zone, and you've got to be able to convert on some of those third downs they think they're they're punt Like three in a punt rate is I think the lowest in the ACC this year, and it's been good even in the last few games where they haven't played at their best. It's not sustaining these drives. They're not either getting the chunk play they need to score or they're they're marching halfway down the field and then stalling out and it's you've got to be able to put the points up at the end of a good drive, and that's where I think too many opportunities have been missed.
Speaker 7: And again, the.
Speaker 5: Margin is small, so it's not like they've got to reinvent the wheel to go in a real run. And you know, if you told me they went out, I wouldn't be shocked by that. I don't think that there's a game on the schedule to your point that they can't win. They might not be favored in all of them, but I think they're certainly good enough to be in to be competitive in every game they have left.
Speaker 2: And what you've seen from these two teams up to this point, what would you say is the biggest thing about Louisville that could potentially give this Miami team some problems? If it's late and it looks as if Louisville maybe isn't in command at the game, but they've been the better team and if they hold on, they win. What do you think was the biggest thing And I'm asking you to predict the future here, but something that could potentially, you know, put Miami in a spot they hadn't been yet this year.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so I think there's two things. One is sort of what I alluded to before, is that the beauty of cam Ward is the can turn anything into a positive play. But I think his confidence in doing that has sometimes led him to maybe do a little too much, hold onto the ball too long, try to force the throw that he shouldn't, so Louisville can can force him into a big mistake and capitalize on it. Like those are the things that will dictate who wins close games. But the other big thing is Miami's If they've got a weak spot, it is their secondary and it's been exposed a little bit over the last couple of weeks by Fernando Mendoz and Kyen Drones. Well, Tyler Shuck's a better quarterback than either of those guys, so you know, I think that Miami can be exposed downfield. The question to me is is the Louisville O line good enough to give Tyler Shuck the time for some of those routes to developed to expose Miami secondary. So that to me is everything, Like if you can give Shuck the extra second in the pocket so that he can look downfield, I think that is a winnable matchup. For Louisville that can help dictate a win for them. But again, I it's it's sort of like Miami weakness is the secondary. Louisville's weakness is that O line, and so whose weakness steps up a little bit more in this game I think is going to be critical.
Speaker 2: David, appreciate the time, always good stuff, and I hope we see a competitive game. And I'm glad you're gonna be here in Louisville. Hope you enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: My man.
Speaker 5: I'm going to have a bourbon or two just to make sure that I enjoy myself regardless of the outside outcover of the gain.
Speaker 2: That's a good strategy that seems to always work. So have fun, man. Good to talk to your brother, yep.
Speaker 3: Take care. That's David Hale of ESPN.
Speaker 2: Always appreciate him making time for us, and certainly some good insight there when it comes to.
Speaker 3: Acc football quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back, very short segment here in the four o'clock hour as we wrap it up, but we got another hour to go, so stick around. It's Coffee and Company Field bouth Thorns right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company wrapping up the four o'clock hour. No no time left here, But that's okay, you know, it happens. It's really my fault, but you know it was a coming hour. Yeah, yeah, we got delay with a phone issue, which we can blame it all on David, which I mean it wasn't his doing, but I mean it was his phone's fault, Like he couldn't get called. And where you call from like in there on that I mean, is that like an internet line, Like.
Speaker 4: It's very unique, but it does act like a real phone to where whenever I dial somebody out it rings like you're calling somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just he's not the first person that that that's happened with. It's not common by any means, but like it just didn't ring, Like his phone couldn't register that somebody was trying to reach him. We didn't get like a busy signal or anything. So you know, thankfully I just texted him like, hey man, we can't get to you. Mind calling any call, but it did delay us a little bit, and then we had callers in the beginning segment, which you know, I try to give everybody as much time as possible to you know, to share their thoughts and ask their questions. So you know, that's why we have a very very brief segment here to wrap up the four o'clock hour. But good news is we've got the five o'clock hour coming your way and a lot more to get into. We'll let you hear from more. We will let you hear more from Pat Kelsey, who of course had his press conference today for the Basketball Media Day. And I'll just quit yapp and so we can get this break out of the way and hit the five o'clock hour with some momentum.
Speaker 3: Baby, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Coffee and Company peeled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety