Speaker 1: You're ready to talk to some Atlanta Hawks offseason look ahead. The long way, we have people asking about the Hawks look ahead. I'm glad we didn't record it yet because they did some stuff. They signed Cjy McCollum, they acquire Andrew Wiggins, they pick up I think this is the biggest news. Grant the team option on Mo Gay. I'm gonna take us through their offseason vitals though. So as of this moment, we have them about thirty five point four million dollars above the cap. Everybody listen as we go through it. I promise that we're going to get to the reason why we have them there. That's roughly five million below the tacks and thirteen point six million dollars below the first apron. It's a fifteen player projection that includes Jonathan Cominga's team option, the new CJ deal, guaranteeing Buddy Heald, who pushed back to non guaranteed date, and all three of their draft picks. They will operate over the cap even if they decline Jonathan Aminga's team option, and they're hard capped at the first apron after the Aaron Wigans trade, so they can't go over that thirteen point six million dollars in room right now they technically have beneath it. They can't go over that. They have the fifteen million dollar non tax player MLLE can't use all of it as of now, but they could easily use all of it. They could set themselves up for it. They also have the Clint Capella TPE which expires on July six that's six point seven million dollars. And they have the four point five million dollar Kobe Bufkin TPE that expires on September sixteenth, if they wanted to create cap spase, which they really can't do anymore. Of those who have needed to be renounced, notable free agents still Jock Landale, Tony Bradley, gave Vincent are all unrestricted free agents. They restricted free agents are Keaton Wallace and Christian Coloco. They have a team option on Jonathan Comingda that's twenty four point three million dollars. And then Buddy helds not he has three million of his nine point seven million dollar salaries guaranteed. They both collectively agreed to push back the guaranteed date. I'm assuming till like June twenty ninth or June thirtieth or something notable extension candidates. On Yeka Kunglu I think is the There's others Buddy Heel and Gave Vincent, but on Yaka Kungu's the most notable one. He can sign a three year, seventy six point six million dollar extension that would kick in twenty twenty eight. In twenty twenty nine, which would be his age twenty eight season, their first round pick overview, they owe their twenty twenty seven pick to San Antonio, but they are receiving the least favorable of Milwaukee's or New Orleans' pick under top four protection in twenty twenty eight, swap rights with the less favorable of Cleveland and Utah, and they can as of right now, I believe trade up to four future first round picks. Grant, let's start here with them. What's gonna happen with Johnathan comgas team option?
Speaker 2: Well, according to the doc, they're gonna pick.
Speaker 1: It up, So that's John's let's robot.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think I think keeping. So I think picking it up and using it as part of just matching salary in a trade, and to some extent I think that applies to Healed is certainly looks like an option that they're entertaining right, otherwise they get could move. Well, it's tricky because, as you noted too, they're gonna be are they're in the tax either way? Correct? If they're hard capped that they're hard capped at the first apron, So they're not quite as like, you know, wildly flexible as it might seem. I would suspect they pick it up because they want to trade him, they want to use them in a trade. That that seems like the likeliest outcome to me. But I guess there's also the possibility they agree, they decline it, and they agree to a multi year deal at a lower annual value. But I don't know which side. I think both sides kind of hate that probably, so uh yeah, I think picking it up, what do you think I.
Speaker 1: Tend to agree with you? Is there? And there's no way that they pick it up under the guys that this is a good basketball fit anymore, right with Dyson Daniels being there, Jalen Johnson, Kingston Flemings. I think Kingston Flemings and john think make are terrible fits. If you have both those dudes coming off the bench and getting minutes and we know that Cominga can't play with Dice and Daniels. So if they put like this leads me to what is my overarching question through like the entirety of this is could they just be plotting something big? Still? I think you can look at the Aaron Wiggins trade and say, oh, they're kind of setting modest expectations. They're going to see what they have in Kingston Flemings. Just see what they have in this group that closed the season on such a hot streak. Maybe they're using part of the non tax mle on a big man and they're just rolling forward with that. But if you're picking up Jonathan Cominga's team option, it's not that he showed nothing with them. But I don't know that this is an asset preservation situation where were we can't let him lock for nothing. That would be such a bad look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean they didn't really. I mean, yeah, they didn't give up anything was Porzingis and healed. So it's not like they're the pot committed to any any real extent. I would say that the Hawks, I mean, part of the reason we waited this long and part of the reason I identified them early in the offseason. It's just like a really interesting team is because they had some flexibility that coming as option is part of that. They had more cap space. I mean, McCollum's taking up twenty one million of that, So the cap space route is not really viable anymore, is not viable anymore. But I don't think they've done anything to take themselves out of the Oh they could really pull something significant off realm right like that. Maybe that just means it happens closer to the deadline than this offseason, but there's still ways for them to put stuff together where you're bringing back someone like Jalen Brown potentially, like there you could it would be a I think it's a bit of a stretch, just as I'm looking at some of the numbers and like just how many bodies would have to go out to reach that salary match. But I still think there's a good chance that Atlanta. Atlanta's off season won't just be well, we brought CJ back and we got Wiggins and let's just see what that gets us. You know, I feel like that's probably not it.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's more like I kind of feel as if they're headed down the path of we'll sign a big and then that'll be it to where maybe it's a big like Mitchell Robinson or Robert Williams the third. But then you even have to ask, even as a backup, do you like either one of those two alongside Jalen Johnson and Dyson Daniels. I'd say Robert Williams the third for sure, just because he's a better decision maker on off as you could maybe play him next to on Yaka kong Wu as well. But I think I think that's the path there. You're right about the Jaylen Brown numbers. It's Jonathan Kameninga and Zachary Resische gets you into the thirty five plus range. Right, then you got to build bodies. And so is Dyson Daniels going out in that? Probably so? And does Boston want Dyson Daniels? You're not if you're giving up on Yuka kong Wu in that deal, what are we doing at the center spot? Right?
Speaker 2: That's one where Boston is very interested if you if a kong Wu is now on the table, because that's that's one that's like, please get him to Boston. That's just perfect for what they like to do.
Speaker 1: What if it's Dyson Daniels A Kong Wu and like, how many picks do you need? Do you need Kingston Flemings in there? Don't? He doesn't feel like a Boston player.
Speaker 2: I I imagine, Yeah, it's how many picks? Because I got I do think I think Brown is gonna probably cost a team? Should we say three? Real firsts? Like if assuming it's not just the best the greatest salary match and there's like a sled young player in there somehow.
Speaker 1: And you have to say that for LaMelo balls, Charlotte got the equivalent between nas Reed and that first and those swaps two and a half. Probably, Oh you don't think NOAs Reed is worth it?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess if you count not like would nos Reed get a first one and a half first?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about right, And you're gonna I have to believe Brown is gonna cost more than that.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's three plus a player at minimum, like a player of repute at minimum. I don't know if I liked John Brown for this team though, not that I dislike him for it, but then it's you have a lot of salary funneled into him, and I don't know, like, then you're taking the ball out of Jalen Johnson's hands probably a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think I thought you were going to say, because you don't like it, because he doesn't really address unless you're good. Just he's he's gonna have as high a usage as last year, and and the offense runs through him pretty exclusively. If you believe in him in that capacity, then maybe he does address the like we need someone that really actually is like running the show, which, as I'm saying it, for a lot of the year for Boston last year. Then then then we have to try it out. Though well they were better without him, yeah, which we don't have to do with that.
Speaker 1: We've kind of danced around mentioning them. But so what are there you're looking We're looking at this roster. What are their biggest needs. I think they don't need a high end big man, but a different type of like an upgrade from the Jock Landale spot wouldrobably probably be nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need another big I think, although again I just I really like a kong Wu. I think he's he's a really good player, and he just that contract is I mean, we can jump ahead. I would extend him on that three for seventy six and a heartbeat, that's like fifteen percent of the cap. I think, yeah, so they didn't they need that. I guess you might still. I mean, they still need a point guard, right. McCollum's not a true point guard by any stretch. He's almost thirty five. They got a ton of guys that are like, oh, he's really good with the ball, like Alexander Walker or Jalen Johnson. Like Jalen Johnson's assist numbers might lead you to believe, well, we're good there, But I just don't think you can't look at what happened with them last season and say they're set as as far as playmaking goes in the half court.
Speaker 1: And also I do wonder though, so like what is going to be their appetite for playing Kingston Plumbings. I think that this is a team that you have.
Speaker 2: To you have to give him a chance, right because if it works, then you do you have addressed they need.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm just the odds are overwhelmingly that he's not going to be good enough to do that as a rookie, just because he's a rookie.
Speaker 1: Do they need this is a need is a strong word. But should selling as high as they possibly can on Zachary Resche be a priority if they're gonna bring Comingo back? Now you have Aaron Wiggins there, just like what Recesche wasn't really playing by the end of last season.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. You've already missed the window to sell as high as you possibly could on him, so before it gets worse, I guess, is really what you're asking. Yeah, I would move him even if he like he'll he'll get better, right, he will get better. He's still so young, But what does that do for you as the Hawks that have like several players that are better than him now and are a big enough leap from where he might get to in the next year or two that they're gonna be better than him by the time he's eligible to sign his next deal. So, like, I think moving him makes a ton of sense, especially since, like because of how high, because of being the number one pick, his salary is actually like pretty substantial, right, Like, it's not always easy to get a good salary match out of a rookie scale deal, but one picks get paid a lot.
Speaker 1: Is there a reason that I think they need shooting even though they were fourth and three point percentage last year.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to articulate it because they get it from the five they and they get it from just about every place but Dyson Daniels.
Speaker 1: I guess, like, what's the caps lock shooter on this team, assuming that Buddy Healed and Kispert aren't rotation guys. It's satisfies that I guess he does. But is that a nice it? Yeah? I mean maybe you're right. And they do have Aaron Wiggins now, so they just I guess they don't have a ton of shooting liabilities outside of Dyson Daniels. But I don't look at this roster and say, oh they they're They're just they have a bunch of snipers.
Speaker 2: Just flamethrowers. Uh, Corey Kisbert, Sir, did you mention Corey Kispert.
Speaker 1: I just don't think he's gonna he gonna play.
Speaker 2: No Buddy Healed was he in the league for Yeah? They have a lot of guy Yeah right, I I I can understand that feeling. But yeah, Alexander Walker is pretty out. I wouldn't put shooting that high on their list. I think I think that's there are bigger needs for sure.
Speaker 1: What's up, Fellasako? Do you want all of our episodes ad free? Then please support the show by joining our Patreon or we have a YouTube membership program where there are tiers that you could choose from bonus content, discord access, merch codes, and draw our over under competition's mailbag priority. Just a ton of stuff comes with a grant. Is giddy with excitement at the fact.
Speaker 2: I just know that you've promised to do a standing backflip if enough people subscribe. So that's in addition to everything Dan mentioned and all the other perks, you're gonna want to sign up for that.
Speaker 1: And now back to the show. Any names that you like for them? We went through. Jalen Brown's really the only one we mentioned, especially if you're looking at like maybe big men dude, does there I mentioned RW three mental problems And if you're signing another center as a backup, are you more focused on what like the bigger, burlierness, the versatility or do you want a floor space or what are you focused on there?
Speaker 2: I think the bulk, you know, bulk offensive rebounding, like that kind of thing, which is again just describing Robinson or uh or or or Robert Williams a third trade wise, I mean that's harder. H Stewart would have been an interesting player for them. I don't think Memphis is rerouting him, although Memphis does sneakily have like a decent number of bigs there. There's just a couple of them are hurt all the time. Yeah, I don't know. Uh doesn't he's just bring him back? Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to think of some like available centers. Would you I'm blanking on trade candidates. No, I'm blanking on trade candidates. Free agency is a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Uh, would you like? Do you like how low end? I guess you'd like you could look at Jayhoff or Micah Potter. Maybe just bring back Jock Landale. At that point, does Bobby Portis do anything for you? Miami is probably looking to reroute him.
Speaker 2: Well, Turner, I mean, if you think shooting is the problem, Turner gets you there. But I don't know that Turner is that any better? It costs like what seven million more season or six or seven than than.
Speaker 1: A Kong Wu.
Speaker 2: I don't And he's not the bulk guy, Like who's the who's the like? Road grading, you know, power just conventional five that is actually still any good that they could trade for.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by like you want to post that big?
Speaker 2: Well okay, yeah, you go like size, size and rebounding, just just be big.
Speaker 1: We go Kaminga and kiss Bert for the bonas. They shouldn't be an Anthony Davis team.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I don't think so. I think that's anybody I could Yeah, I think we do this all the time, Like as the pendulum swung too far on Anthony David? Is he actually way better than we discuss him?
Speaker 1: Probably if he's healthy, but just the sheer amount of contract need to cobble together to get him, unless they're willing to take Buddy Heal kiss Bert back and then Jonathan. It just gets so messy. Yeah, right, they could sign use of nurkic uh moms Klavely is not really traditional, but he provides stretching, maybe a little bit of driving.
Speaker 2: Uh just okay, we're going through some more, Jared Allen, I mean he's probably better than a kong Wu. I don't know what you're giving. Well, you do over index on like wings and stuff. So if you wanted to throw somebody in there, and move Jared at move Mobilely to the five in Cleveland? Could you get Jared Allen with uh? Probably not with like Resa sche and something or and picks would have to be involved in that. I don't think they care about Resa Schey. You'd have to like they don't want Dyson Daniels.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think, although that we might be. I mean, given if you move Overly to the five and you trust him to shoot it, you have Daniels in there to go all the all the players that Harden and Mitchell can't. I don't know what you're doing at the four.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting trade. I guess I was thinking more lower end for the most part, because I assume I still prefer a Kung Wu like to the makeup of this team than Jared Allen. You could play those two together, but you can't play Jalen j You're not what are you gonna play Jalen Johnson at the three? Then? So you're not gonna start all three of those guys. I don't think a couple should come off the bench.
Speaker 2: Well then that's tricky, like are you like? So then trading for that gets into so you're you're more in like the ten to fifteen million dollars backup center range. I guess that's what I say. You like, that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more like a change of pace can come in and maybe he's just bigger than a Kung Wu who's what six ten and he's kind of he's not like weak, but he is on the slender side.
Speaker 2: So then the question is who is that player that warrants giving up something and is a big enough upgrade over a minimum signing. You know, we're talking a backup center. Like all we ever say is minimum signing backup centers? Are you get a lot for your money?
Speaker 1: There? I have it Kingston Flemings and Asa Newell for Derek Queen. Who says no, that's I've never once thought about that. Well, that's the exact package that was traded for Derek Queen already, is why I mentioned it.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about that. Uh who says, well, Charlotte doesn't say no, Charlotte, I mean New Orleans doesn't say no. New Orleans wants to give you more for Derek Queen s he's so great.
Speaker 1: Go bear to the Hawks from how we are Bears? That would be oh, my god, Barksdale corners that dominate in the music, I mean an eight million. If he ops in DeAndre, I probably don't want the vibes in my locker room. If I'm Atlanta, I'm not gonna lie. But Nicole we' entured regulator says vouch would be interesting.
Speaker 2: All right, So now we're done. Now we're done with the discussion.
Speaker 1: But those that that's the the skit, well not the Derek Queen, but that's the scale of move I see them. I don't think they're set up to if they wanted to, they could do something big. I just don't see it. Like you said, maybe it's closer to the trade deadline, but it also is kind of feeling more like a I'll drive him down if needed with representating. That's also something that I could see them waiting until. Wow, the ultimate vibes equals kminga for Zion. So kaminga and kiss Bert and a pick for Zion.
Speaker 2: There's your primary playmaker.
Speaker 1: Let's go right, Jalen Johnson, you are now off the ball. Uh yeah, but yeah, I don't expect it. I thought they might be like setting themselves up to do something big and then post Wigans CJ. MCCALUMNEYL I no longer think that that's the case. Is where I'm sort of at with them.
Speaker 2: I'm not giving up hope it's less likely, but I even like them as a sneaky, honest team. But here we are.
Speaker 1: You know, he's been traded. I don't know. If you heard my final thing on them, you kind of mentioned it, would you you'd offer do on Yakakungu extension three year, seventy six million dollars. Does on Yakokungu sign that extension?
Speaker 2: Well, so that's about ten million more than he's on the books for at the moment, right. I just closed that tab where he's uh yeah, so he's like sixteen next year, seventeen the following. That's a decent raise. I guess the as I'm going through, he's twenty five. I think I think Atlanta should and and will offer that. I just wonder if he thinks he can do better, and I think he might be right. So yeah, I think I think he The trajectory is pretty promising at the moment. So like more than double his three point volume per game last year, so right around double if you're doing like per possession or per per hundred. I think, I think if he if he has another year like this one where it's like, oh, this guy is a thirty seven thirty eight percent three point shooter and he's pretty versatile defensive, Like that's more than a twenty he should I'm sure he's being told you are more than a twenty five twenty six million dollars a year player, right right? Like that, that dude's worth a lot At the very least, You're like, well, you're better than Miles Turner. That guy's you know, been making in the twenties forever. So hold out.
Speaker 1: You offer it though, right, and just if he signs that ends up being Yeah, now.
Speaker 2: He's offered and I try to trick him into taking it.
Speaker 1: Can I actually want to step back before we move on to them for a second. When you said that you're not giving up hope that they do something big? Are we? What is that con Like? Are they Kawhi like we already mentioned Jalon Brown? Is that Kawhi Leonard Trey Murphy scale? Are they a Darius Garland team if? Because they shouldn't be a Ja Morant team, right, especially if they have Kingston Flemings and the door already, So what what would be a big name who's not Jalen Brown that would make sense for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've kind of run through a lot of them. Trey Murphy would be even even though like he it's that's not addressing other than the shooting need because they got wings, they've got like forwardish guys. But that's such such an easy number to get to with, Like you could just get there with Kaminga and picks and you wanted to, So that's that's pretty manageable. Or if you don't pick, don't pick up the team option on Kminga, you can still get there with like Kispert and Resachet. Done deal, and then however many picks it's going to take, you could you know, I would imagine New Orleans would have better offers than that, like there would be a real player coming back and picks, but he would be he would be pretty pretty great, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, he'd be pretty great everywhere. I guess it's to your point about when I had mentioned shooting before, is that what you want to use so many of your assets on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're talking me into they they have kind of wasted their opportunity to be interesting, But I just I want to believe, you know.
Speaker 1: I want to see, Well, I guess we've had enough fireworks? Are we getting greedy here? You don't make sense. I don't know if he's about Ryan Rollins for them, play him next to the Keith Alexander walk I prefer him over Kingston Flemings both now and later. Not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just trade Flemings for for for Rowlins. Wow, why wouldn't the Bucks want rookie scale? Deal on the cost control and just see if? I mean you're probably that's interesting, Like how good? How good do you think the league believes Rawlins is after after one awesome year?
Speaker 1: You know right, I'm clearly I'm clearly Ryan Rollins piled.
Speaker 2: So that's I'm too. I think he's I think he's like I called him an upper middle class starter when I was writing about him the other day.
Speaker 1: You know what might mean? So this would be I guess there's positional overlap with Jalen Johnson. So that's a no. This is I was gonna say Aaron Gordon, But then you have I feel like you could play him and JJ and a conglu together or just get that could be like that's your front court rotation. But then one of them is coming off the bench again, so it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Maybe they trade Jalen Johnson and and and and Reeseache for a superstar.
Speaker 1: Do you say, which player would you need back to for the like to as the how mean contract is good? That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think you could get you could get some Jalen Brown attention for that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I mean that that's the cleanest way to avoid having to give up all your picks and like six players, you know which. Boston wouldn't want that many bodies back.
Speaker 1: So we're just we're just divesting their primary building block now and we're consolidating him. Actually yeah, Uh does Minnesota do it for Anthony Edwards? So they got the ball? Do you have anything else or are you ready to take us out of here? No?
Speaker 2: I think that's gonna do it. Thanks everybody, especially those of you in the comments. Thanks for listening, Thanks for watching Rate Review, Subscribe, do all the things those are our good comment here Kawhi and the six Sure let's get him back there? Uh what else? Join our Patreon please, that's the best way to support the podcast. As Dan mentioned. Dan mentioned Patreon dot com slash Hardwood Knocks NBA AD free content bonus episodes, one of which we will be recording early next week. Uh enjoyed our just.
Speaker 1: Fun more too, hopefully.
Speaker 2: I mean it depends on how poorly you do that. That'll be more fun. Because we're gonna do another little blind exercise here. I only choose on the other foot. See how you like it? Uh Thinkedin. Everybody shouts Frank Milo Kine Apologies Chared Allen