Speaker 1: The Internet. It's an amazing place that has expanded the way we think and interact as a society, from education to entertainment. It's a world of its own, and within that world there are shadows, places where things get dark and mysterious. True and fictional stories run rampant, spinning people's imagination out of control. The story of Kate Yupp is the center of one of those shadowy places, and her story has the potential to be very very dark.
Speaker 2: Warning the following podcast and material in a mat your audience listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: Hey, how was it going.
Speaker 3: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast. And Nicole once said and forgot her line.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't forget. I was just like waiting for you to do more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not supposed to do more. You forgot that it was your turn to chime in.
Speaker 3: Holy heck, one day, one day, I'll get it so perfect, and people would be like, who the shit's that?
Speaker 1: Well, ninety nine percent of the time you do it so perfect. It's just that's true. Sometimes all of a sudden, for whatever reason, you just like forget.
Speaker 3: I was very distracted by Mika. I'm not gonna lie, and I felt like you had more to say, and I was like, oh, yeah, it's me.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean this is a podcast. We generally have a lot to say, so we do so with that in mind.
Speaker 3: What's your drinking over that day?
Speaker 1: Actually got Stanley Park brewing a trailhopper IPA nice.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Look at us supporting BC. I'm drinking sand tel Rose, the best rose around, betful, so good. They're in Colonna their winery.
Speaker 1: You love your wine, especially from Kolona.
Speaker 3: Okanagan is the best wine ever.
Speaker 1: Okanagan is pretty dope for that sort of so good. Oh we should do it. Throw up a little quick cheers for a happy Father's Day. Yeah, all the fathers out there right now who are doing absolutely awesome. You're crushing it, keep crushing it. Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 1: We're actually recording this on Father's Day right now, so yeah, it's a little belated happy Father's Day when this is released, but still happy Father's Day.
Speaker 3: And anyone who may struggle with their father relationship or missing a father just showed up to you as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Sometimes these days are not always easy for everyone.
Speaker 1: Exactly, especially if that man has never come back with the milk. Not a joke. I should have said, I don't even know, like, okay, you get it, because like the deadbeat dads, I'm just going to go I get it, Okay, just making sure, okay, go moving on, moving moving on.
Speaker 3: Okay. I said something so sweet and you just ruined it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta think patrons.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, we got two of them to thank thank you.
Speaker 1: We have Melissa Calcaffin I really hope I'm right and Jesse Wilson. You are both absolutely wicked, amazing, thank you for signing up over on Patreon.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 1: And they're going to get an exclusive episode coming up here.
Speaker 3: At the end of the month very quickly.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we don't even know what we're going to do for me at this month. So if you are a patron and you want to have a you have a suggestion that you're thinking, Hey, this month deserves this case, let us know. We'll take a look and we'll see. We of course have a crap ton of requests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we might know what we're doing and depending if I'm doing that one or not. I do have a case or cases that I'm working on, so oh okay, so we'll see. But I mean, obviously like requests are awesome, and we put them in our book, and we do go through that book often if we're like, oh my gosh, what are we going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, yeah, thank you to their patrons. You guys are absolutely wicked, totally awesome dope perks over there. So if you want to sign up, you can find a link in the description of this or give us a search on Patreon and you can get some behind the scenes, some awesome access.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, I feel like our Patreon's pretty awesome. I've no, I have no nothing to compare it to, but I think it's dope.
Speaker 1: I think it's pretty dope. I think so too.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so I'm holding some jack O stickers because yeah, we said, we already mentioned we're recording a day early, and we're doing that because I'm actually going away on holidays or once in my.
Speaker 1: Life for once in your life.
Speaker 3: It's been a while, but yeah, I'm heading to the island. And there is inta fino, there is Thancouver Island. Oh, yeah, sorry, sorry, it's just so everyone here just is the island and you know exactly what it is right away if you're in BC. Yes. So anyway, in Taffino, which is like this most beautiful town, I guess you wouldn't. They don't know if it's a city, it's right more of a town.
Speaker 1: I'd say it's a town.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, it just has the most beautiful beaches ever and one of the most amazing places to eat. It's called Taco Fino.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so good.
Speaker 3: And they've also expanded that and I think Tafino is the og Taco Fino.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: They have them in like Victorian Vancouver now too. But anyway, their food truck you can put stickers on there, so I'm going to put some Jacko stickers on there, so I'm going to eat it epic tacco exactly.
Speaker 1: And if you find yourself ever in so Fino and you're gonna go to Taco Fino, take a picture of yourself in front of the truck with the Jacko sticker, see if you can locate it. Yeah, we want to see who can send us pictures, and the first person to send us a picture in front of the Taco Fino truck with that sticker. You might get something. We'll just say that.
Speaker 3: I'm going to send you a picture of me standing in front of the star. What do I get?
Speaker 1: You'll get a high five when you get home.
Speaker 3: Oh anyway, yeah, I'll see if I can maybe stick to on there. We'll see. But super cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of pictures, actually, we've had people asking for pictures of our dogs quite a bit, whether it's Facebook, Instagram, They're like, oh, we want to see you guys get pictures with your dogs. So we actually recently did get a photoshoot with our dogs from a friend of ours, Melissa. Shout out to Melissa there. So we are going to be posting some pictures of us with the doggos on Instagram and Facebook here in the next day or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're so awesome. There's so many, so many cute ones. So yeah, people always want to We talk about them a fair amount, right, so they always want to see and learn a little bit more about the doggos.
Speaker 1: Well, it's hard not to talk about them when you're sitting here doing a podcast and they fart mid podcast because they're laying right next to her.
Speaker 3: They need a drink of water, let outside or pacing or something. They're very much so in our space, in this space.
Speaker 1: Yes, hashtag tiny home living.
Speaker 3: You can't get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we actually had someone I believe, give us a bad review at one point. If you go back checking out our reviews, they're like, oh, you're talking about your dog farting. Just put your dog in another room.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I think they said that we were immature because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were immature. Yes, go put your dog in another room. Just a little side note, we don't have another room.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I mean they might not have known that we live in a tiny home. Like literally, there is there is nowhere else that we can put them unless we put them outside. But then they're gonna get eaten alive by mosquitos at the current moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they'll just wine at the door and that'll be even worse. But yeah, anyways, moving on from all that, I think we can go into the actual case today.
Speaker 3: Ooh, this is exciting. Kay. I know a teend tiny little bit I have.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna preface this with telling everyone what I told you. This is the story of kate Yup and she does muck bang videos on YouTube, which.
Speaker 3: I was like, what the fuck is that? Yeah, and then you showed me and I was like, actually, that's like kind of gross. I don't know if I'm supposed to think that's gross, but I thought it was a little bit gross.
Speaker 1: It's not my sort of thing either, But well, content creators, influencers, social media personalities. They're all like, it's a relatively new term that we have to deal with today, and terms like muck bang is going to be thrown in there too.
Speaker 3: People might not know what that means.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm getting to that cam you tits like you keep.
Speaker 3: Just saying that word. I'm like, some people might not know what that is.
Speaker 1: No, I'm literally saying right now, there's a lot of words that we don't know because we're in a whole new world of the Internet. Yes, other words like content creator, influencer, social media. It's it's all new terminology. Okay, okay, yeah, okay, so hold off on the muckbang thing. I just gave a little early access to that word. We're diving into the case here. I'm starting off internet before.
Speaker 3: I define Okay, Okay, I get it, I get it. We're on the same page. I think, are you sure, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hold back on that wine.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Okay, you make it sound like I've literally had like a couple of SIPs, so.
Speaker 1: Well you act and like you had a couple bottles.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Anyways, so it's all too common for individuals to be posting on social media, all these apps and everything to try and better their business, you know, and hopes to get more likes, more followers, subscribers, all for the long term goal of becoming you know, well established, whether it's themselves or their business.
Speaker 3: I should preface I have to also say that it's exhausting to be a content creator, like exhausting, it really is.
Speaker 1: And honestly, like us as a podcasters, we are content creators and yeah, it's a lot of work. Yeah, And honestly, we do live in a time where you can make a very good income from posting, Like if you post some good content, you garner you know, hundreds of thousands or perhaps even millions of yous you know, boom money and sponsorships tend to roll in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, there's like quite a few people that I have aroun that have I mean, I can consist they've stayed consistent and they're putting like unique content out there and now it's like literally their job and stuff, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Well, like someone I turned to quite a bit for this topic, call Me Chris, where she started on TikTok. Actually a little bit of name dropping here. I was actually kind of friends with call me Chris on TikTok, and I was like, you're going to blow up, I can tell. And then yeah, of course she blew up. And now I'm pretty sure she's going to be like fucking Hollywood the next two three years. But yeah, and it happened so fast. So anyways, studies showed that approximately thirty percent of kids in the US want to be a YouTube star when they grow up. Yeah, they want to forget about the nine to five you know what, it's a little more alluring to make, you know, big income, doing what you want from the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 3: Just really quickly. Like that is so true because I used to work for a summer camp, right, and I would ask lots of times the kids, like, what do you want to be when you grow up? And so often they said a YouTuber. So often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big thing, and.
Speaker 3: It just it blew my mind. It blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Well, on February fourteenth of two thousand and five, the world would further be changed because of YouTube. That whole, big, hard hitting website launched and gave the opportunity for those stars to be, you know, the star of their own show. So Ever since then, we've seen the rise and followed many successful people on the website known as you just said the word YouTubers. And over the years we've seen an evolution of the type of content getting posted to the platform as well. We've seen things like sketches and vlogs, which were primarily popular in the twenty tens, and as recently it has become more grounded in educational content. Now, how the videos, sorry, how to videos and reviews showing exactly the type of information you're after. You know, you google how to do this or review for this thing, you do that on YouTube you will find an answer. So it's a lot more educational that grounded type content. But that doesn't mean YouTube is strictly a search engine now searching for these things. It's not just a teaching tool. In fact, it's still an incredible amount of genres available on the platform one of which has become very popular in the past few years called muck bang.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go, I need.
Speaker 1: Yes, here is where I define muckbang. So, muckbang comes from the Korean word miokbang, which I really hope I said that correctly, which combines the Korean word for eating and broadcast. Now, in simple terms, you can define muckbang as an eat cast. This is a podcast, right, muckbang is basically an eat cast. So basically it's a video where the host consumes various quantities of food on camera. Usually the focus of the camera is on their mouth and they tend to have the microphone very close while they pick up the sounds.
Speaker 3: Oh that's just not okay.
Speaker 1: I knew you would have a problem with this topic.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, well, honestly, the one you did show me, can I say? Or no?
Speaker 1: I'll wait, Well, I showed you the first video. I showed you ten seconds of Kate Young's first video. We'll get into her first.
Speaker 3: I'll talk about that again in sc but I was just like kind of a pulse and I don't know if I'm ever in amu to eat that again.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Well, muckbang, Honestly, to me, it seems like a form of ASMR, which means autonomous sensory meridian response, And these are a type of video that show very satisfying visuals and sounds there akin to that, like you know, peeling that plastic off a brand new phone screen. Yeah, that's popping bubble wrap. But who But some people have different things that satisfy them like that, And I think I can't say this, I can't speak for other people, but I think that muck bangs are a form of ASMR, is what I can draw the conclusion of.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, you're very right. I might have trouble with this with the topic of this podcast.
Speaker 1: I do also want to throw this out there as a side note too, or it could very well be some sort of kink. Some people very well might have some sort of fetish revolving around food and consuming it, So throwing that out there too.
Speaker 3: This is just a whole new world here. Yes, I feel like it's gonna be a whole new world for a lot of people probably now.
Speaker 1: Regardless of all this information, though, on April twenty third of twenty eighteen, a new YouTube channel would emerge with its very first video. It was a Muckbang channel with the YouTube name of Kate Yup. I just realized I think I might have said young earlier when I was talked.
Speaker 3: About about it. Kate, I feel like you said yep, But.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kate yep. Anyways, Kate's first video will be titled quote eleven pounds salmon and then brackets five kilograms of salmon in French World record ASMR. So this would feature a thumbnail image of a woman sitting in front of a pile of raw salmon philets, appearing to eat the filets.
Speaker 3: Then she was dipping it in her soya sauce.
Speaker 1: And yes, she usually has like a bunch of like dips of sorts like taraiaki sauce, soy sauce and stuff she's dipping it in. But yeah, of course this thumbnail did not disappoint the channel's host. Kate Yupp, who was a very small, petite woman, began to devour the entire eleven pounds of raw salmon on camera and while she eats, though I do want to point out it is not a slow pace. She's not just casually biting. She is howing how.
Speaker 3: Long is that video? Because yeah, like we said, I only watched like a very short glimpse.
Speaker 1: I think it's about twenty minutes. Holy shit, I think, but I'm not. Don't quote me on that.
Speaker 3: So I'm like super obsessed with sushi. I think most people know that. And I occasionally like raw salmon or raw tuna. Yeah, I just like have absolutely no interest in eating any sort of raw salmon anytime soon, anytime soon.
Speaker 1: And I only showed you like a ten second clip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was just like, this is not my cup of tea.
Speaker 1: And that's what it is for the entirety of her video. And she's not just sitting here like with a knife and fork or chopstick, so you guys know she is with her hands just digging in chunk after chunk, stuffing her face.
Speaker 3: I mean, I should say, teach their own everyone can have your own interests.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. I don't judge. Now, Kate is wearing some sort of makeshift mask in these videos. It's kind of like a piece of cloth or a bandana that hides what looks like where above her mouth would be. Okay, okay, So the camera is framed such so the majority of everything past her upper lip I can't see, but this mask has a cutout for her nose to stick through and a cutout for her eyes. There are clips in some of her later videos where you can see like the bottom of her eye peek out as she dips down in cameras view sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, because that was actually a question I had if in any of the videos you get to see her.
Speaker 1: Face, you don't, which added a very large sense of mystery to her videos.
Speaker 3: No kidding, And some people probably do show their face and stuff, right, assuming very much so.
Speaker 1: So Kate seemed to be from somewhere in possibly France regarding the French, right, And she didn't talk in her videos either. Only occasionally she would whisper a couple words, speaking just a little bit like this, very very quietly, which is again akin to ASMR videos. And you could hear that French accent when she did talk. Okay, Yeah, now her video descriptions written in English and French, I should say that as well. Either way, it's a mystery to anyone who Kate Yup was. She was clearly hiding her identity for one reason or another. And it's not uncommon for people to hide their identity online year right, not at all yeah, user names and stuff, and it's not weird for that to happen.
Speaker 3: No, no, that doesn't alarm me at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so her video did get to see a lot of attention. Thousands of views began actually pouring in. Her channel began to grow as she continued to post these muck bang videos where she eats an absurd amount of food. Her first few videos contained a continued to be raw salmon phillots, then they began to shift into other seafoods like lobsters, crabs, prawns, shrimp, squid, octopus, and the whole time, she never showed her face or revealed her identity. She kept herself very private, very concealed. Now, people of course speculated who she was, and the mystery around her identity had people asking a lot of questions, Right, it's like, reveal yourself, who are you? You want to see? Right?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I feel like just that sense of curiosity, right, you just need to know almost, especially like you're a big fan of this right.
Speaker 1: Now. A lot of this speculation especially began to grow when some pretty significant bruising on her left arm appeared in one way, Oh no, yes, right along her bicet huh now. Viewers also noted that it looked like she may have a cut or abrasion on her lip on the left side to go along with it, which begins to make Kate's story take a little bit of a dark turn.
Speaker 3: H Oh yeah, Okay, I don't like where this is going.
Speaker 1: Where do you think it's going?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I felt like, maybe is she getting abused or something? Potentially is that what people are thinking?
Speaker 1: Potentially, so everyone, of course potentially begins to think the worst, is Kate being abused? What's a big question on everyone's mind, just like you said, And if that is the case, who is it that's leaving those marks? And how did they happen? Was she really eating of her own free will?
Speaker 3: Also became a popular question shoot to my mind and not go there at all.
Speaker 1: It did for some people.
Speaker 3: But that could make a lot of sense. Yes, I mean, because even when I said that, I was like, how is this person consuming that amount of food? Like are they throwing up afterwards? Or like how is this even happening?
Speaker 1: It's possible a lot of that sort of stuff. Is it plays into the conspiracy questioning because we have this giant puzzle and we're just trying to fit it all together and make sense of it. So we have this very thin woman eating a crap ton of food. Why how like everything, who is she? We know none of it? That's the biggest problem.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that it's like kept a secret in a sense, like I don't know that just it adds a lot.
Speaker 1: It adds a whole new world to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, new world.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I won't do that now. Kate actually explained that these bruises were caused by the sun and the split lip as a cold sort. Now, what's in her defense is actually kind of plausible, and I'll touch on why those are plausible a little bit later on when we get into some of the theories. Okay, this would actually ignite though a long chain of Internet sluice digging into Kate's videos, these bruisings, the cut lip, that sort of thing. People were watching her videos with a very very close eye. They were going back, they were rewatching, they were studying every frame for clues to see if Kate was okay, or if there were any hints on who she was or who potentially could be causing harm to her.
Speaker 3: And a lot of these sheep are so good ye at what they find. It's mind blowing.
Speaker 1: The internet is ruthless, so the more people look through, the worst it seemed to get. Honestly, the same video you can find the bruises in was titled quote this is a long title, so bear with me. Two whole fish, whole giant squid, lobster, king crab, salmon and tuna, raw, octopus, scallops, shrimp. Now the other strange things that were found in that video that that was titled mm hmm were these? At four minutes and fifty two seconds into the video, the table seems to unexplicitly move, as if as Kate's hands are up, leading people to believe that Kate is not alone. The table was bumped by potentially someone else.
Speaker 3: Oh like the person who's recording her and forcing her to do this or something.
Speaker 1: Correct Now further findings and other videos. As people look closer, they would find this to be very true. In fact, it's faint, but through her videos there are some points where a man's voice can be heard whispering to Kate, instructing her, instructing her things like come on, swallow it, hurry up faster.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, yes, oh my gosh, I really don't like that.
Speaker 1: It seems like whoever this is there for one reason or another coercing cape to keep eating, and, according to internet sleuths, perhaps against your will.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because those kind of commands don't necessarily seem like they're in this together.
Speaker 1: Right, It also doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad either.
Speaker 3: I guess. But I mean, if we were in on something like this, and like I was eating all this nasty food and like you were commanding things like that, I don't feel like i'd be like so into that.
Speaker 1: That's true, But also think of it this way. If it's say a coach is on the side of a swimming pool and someone's swimming laps and trying to get faster, and the coach is shouting these things at them, is that a bad thing? The coach is trying to get them to go right, I guess is it bad?
Speaker 3: What are the commands again?
Speaker 1: Um, come on, swallow it, hurry up faster or I believe it was fast. Actually I think I wrote that in correctly.
Speaker 3: Fast Okay, I mean the hurry up one, I guess is the worst one. I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some other ones as well. That's just some of the more prominent ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now another thing that was found at eight fifty or sorry, five thirty seven. I don't know why I said eight. Kate begins to tap on the side of the bowl very quickly as the bowl that she's eating from, which some claim is Morse code for things like SOS or I need help. There's multiple claims of what it is translated from. Okay, but this one is easily debunked by people who actually know Morse code, though we will touch on that in a moment as well. Also in that same video, at seventeen minutes and thirty five seconds, there is texts that pops up on the screen that reads this and I quote the meat is so delicious, soft and tender. Now, the problem with that is there are certain letters capitalized in the spelling of that sentence. All of them are lowercase except three letters, three letters that say s.
Speaker 3: S really correct really really holy shit. Yes, that seems very alarming.
Speaker 1: It does seem very alarming, and this got people even more riled up.
Speaker 3: Holy It's like she's trying to put a hint out there that she needs some help or something.
Speaker 1: If that is a legitimate thing, that she did on purpose. That is literally calling for help. SOS is save our souls. That's what it stands for. It's an international symbol for help.
Speaker 3: I mean, unless it's just like random, but that seems it seems.
Speaker 1: A little particular to be random.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, almost a month after that particular video where these things were found, another post by Kate was on August fifteenth of twenty nineteen, titled quote I Am Alive. She addressed the concerns that everyone was having of her and talking about this whole situation they're leaving it. In her comments, she addressed it regarding her safety, telling people she's fine. In this video, however, she doesn't talk just like the rest of them. It's all texts that pops up on the screen. So she does another muckbang in this video, as she always does, chowing down on some insane amount of seafood, especially for her frail stature. I might add, but in this video the text pop ups on the screen. You know, you can see her smile begin to eat and the textbox pop up, and what these textboxes read really caught people's eye, especially concerning the last one that may have said you know SOS right, So with these certain textboxes, certain capital letters again appeared. Now these textboxes were not in this specific order, but the only capital letters were on these sentences, and they go a little something like this. First one, Hey, I'm alive, my friends, you can see to my smile. The next one, everything is okay for me? Next look at me? Are you really thinking I'm forced to eat? The next one prawn? Just smaller than giant shrimps and easier to eat because I can remove the skin. Now, the capital letters in each one of those was the very first letter of each sentence, okay, and the very first words. I'll read the first words of each one and just pay attention to the first letter. Hey, everything look prompt. The capital letters were H, E, L P, hmmm.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. This is just getting worse and worse.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's extremely suspicious and those like that. People are freaking out and panicking. Yes, they're asking Kate, like are you okay? How can we help you? Like say something?
Speaker 3: Oh, but that's almost like potentially like making it worse or something. Yeah, I think it sounds like though, there's so many people looking into this and like trying to do what they could, but what could they do?
Speaker 1: Well, and the problem is, like you say, it could be making it worse because people are trying to contact her, say like, you know, let us know. So there are actual comments if you scroll through her videos, like stop asking about this because you very well could be putting her in a more dangerous situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then also it's very hard to just do nothing too when this person is like it's very seemingly asking for help. It seems like yep.
Speaker 1: And now Kate also posts a quote comment on the top of one of her videos regarding the apparent Morse code around this time. Now on this this comment, it reads this. Now it reminds you this is not Kate's commenting. This is someone else who wrote this. Kate just took this and pinned it to the top okay.
Speaker 3: Of the comment section.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so that comment went like this, it's not morse code. That isn't even how morse code works. It is a series of short and long pulses. Even thinking outside of the box, by assuming she is using one finger for long pulses and one finger for short pulses, she taps three fingers on the bowl. It is just random tapping. There is no correlation between her tapping and Morse code. I couldn't identify a single letter, so that Morse code is effectively ruled out, and Kate this to the top, trying to rule it out herself as well.
Speaker 3: But unless it's a code, that's it is a code, but it's just something between her and the person that's in the room with her.
Speaker 1: Potentially potentially potentially like.
Speaker 3: They have some sort of some code system that they use or something that's true.
Speaker 1: But what would they be trying to communicate then.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, maybe she did need help or to stop or I don't know.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Now much of this could be tied up to misinformation, or it could be something like you said, an inside piece. It's hard to say. But then after this three videos later, on November tenth of twenty nineteen, Kate Yup would upload her final video titled I Lose my tooth during this.
Speaker 3: Meal, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And having a textbox within this video saying this I quote, oh my god, I can die in peace. After this bite before she disappeared, she would say that no face reveal, no assurance that she is okay, nothing, just stopped uploading.
Speaker 3: And how consistently were these videos being uploaded and such a four about once a month.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, and that was her last one was in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Hmm, so not even that long ago, really not really?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, in that video that she posted where she claims to have lose a tooth, Kate does in fact lose two teeth while eating. In that video.
Speaker 3: What is she eating?
Speaker 1: She's eating seafood, is normal, but she pulls out a tooth and she shows it to the camera and continues to eat, and then later it pulls out another.
Speaker 3: Oh oh my gosh. Yeah, oh that's too much.
Speaker 1: And this whole tooth loss thing caused a lot of affirmation that something was in fact wrong. But the question is what is wrong?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like any seafood, is that going to make you lose a tooth?
Speaker 1: It's hard. Who knows? Would getting punched in the face make you lose a tooth? Yes, who knows? The problem is we don't know. Kate has never been identified, she has never been heard from since. It's ridiculous. However, there are some theories, sorry, surrounding the whole mystery with Kate. I should say this, who she was, what happened?
Speaker 3: There are theories good, well, gosh, because this is like, I want to know what the heck's going on here?
Speaker 1: Well, as far as we know, that is the end of Kate's story, but these theories might fill in some of the blanks. The most popular theory online is that Kate had been kidnapped and was used in some sort of human trafficking situation. Okay, whoever the person is who is whispering to her behind the camera is perhaps holding her captive, perhaps starving her and abusing her, then letting her feast and forcing her to binge eat all this food to make these sick videos to post online.
Speaker 3: That sounds awful.
Speaker 1: The motive for this, however, is a little unclear. This theory would suggest that if Kate is in fact kidnapped, she would be issued the ability to edit her own videos, her own kidnapped videos. Otherwise, how would the subliminal message of SOS and help be integrated into the videos?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, like you're meaning, she wouldn't have been able to edit those her own videos.
Speaker 1: Well, the theory says she is, Oh she is, because the captors sure aren't going to put those messages in the videos, right, So if she is kidnapped and being forced to do this on camera. She would have to have the ability to edit her.
Speaker 3: Own videos, right, which doesn't really.
Speaker 1: Does logical at all.
Speaker 3: It's not logical what the kidnappers would be the ones most likely putting the video out there exactly.
Speaker 1: And if that were the case, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to like one frame, do like a big write up on help me. My name is so one, so I'm being held by this guy whatever. The captors watching it won't see a single frame, but Internet sleuths who are watching it frame by frame certainly would. It would make a lot more sense to do something like that than a random SOS and say, no, I'm fine, disregard that.
Speaker 3: But maybe they didn't. They wouldn't know to think to just do a little message like that on a frame. I mean, I would know.
Speaker 1: That's true, but regardless, it certainly doesn't make sense to let the kidnap e edit the videos.
Speaker 3: No, it does not at all. Actually, dang, because that one makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry, I don't know where I'm at on my notes now. I just went off on a ramble. Okay, yeah, sorry, got it. There is a name actually that some people think they may have that is linked up to Kate yep.
Speaker 3: Okay, linked up to Kate yep Oh.
Speaker 1: That name is Carly Goose. Now. Carly is a Californian teen who went missing in two thousand and eight. She was sixteen years old when she went missing, and she hasn't been seen or heard from since. The case has unfortunately gone cold since many people think that Carly Goose could be Kate yup.
Speaker 3: Really and they're just thinking this from like the nose down that they look similar pretty much.
Speaker 1: It's a similar smile, similar stature, potential age. But since they know since Kate's never shown her face, they don't have much to go on. But they're thinking, Okay, if Kate is a missing person, a kidnapped individual, we should look at missing persons reports, right, this person is missing looks fairly similar, could it be?
Speaker 3: And sorry, where did you say they were missing from California?
Speaker 1: Which doesn't really line up so much with the idea of Kate being from France exactly. Yeah, this is actually a good I point for me to say this. I didn't know where I'm going to put this information, so here it is. There are some small pieces of information that actually tie Kate to France a little more so, being there is a grill in one shot of her videos, and that grill has been identified to be a French grill from France, as well as a Coca Cola bottle that was written in French. So there's there's a few little pieces that have been brought forward to identify that her videos are in.
Speaker 3: Fact from France and not Quebec.
Speaker 1: Correct, So, a missing team from California being the person in France is a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 3: It does seem like a bit of a stretch. That so is it Quebec That would seem like quite as much of a stretch.
Speaker 1: Correct. Now, Unfortunately, it's pretty much proven that these two aren't going to be the same individual. If you look at some of the distinguished, distinguished distinguishing features there we go on Kate versus is Carly, they don't quite line up, things like freckles and moles. There's two particular freckles on Kate's neck that Carly does not have.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because I mean, oh, that is a it is a good theory. But it's also if this person was from France, I would very much think so but the fact that they're like way all across the world kind of in California right now.
Speaker 1: There is another theory that popped up on Reddit from the username of Ashmel fifteen regarding another individual that could be Kate, and this one's a little more believable. Now. They say that Kate is a European female UFC fighter by the name of I'm going to butcher her name because it's a really hard name to say, but Joanna Zidyechek, I believe is how you say her last name. Again, this theory points to similar appearances between the two, except this time Johanna is not a kidnapping victim. She is a fighter, which would explain you know why she has bruises and cuts on her body? Okay, yeah, professional fighter, you know you're going to take punches. That's part of the game exactly. So cut and lip in fact also matched with one that Johanna had on her lip, so the Kate and Johanna cut line up. This would also explain why Kate had managed to stay so thin after eating so much eleven pounds of salmon in her first video, not gaming gaining an ounce that would explain it because to be a UFC fighter, you would have an extreme workout routine to burn all these calories or a reason to actually eat that much to specifically bulk up in your diet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, she's a professional athlete. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it would also give a reason for her to hide her identity online because she doesn't want to be tied up with her personality in the UFC ring.
Speaker 3: Huh? And where is this person living and stuff?
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure where exactly she's from, but she is from over in Europe somewhere. Oh, I didn't look up her exactly where she lives.
Speaker 3: Wow. Hmmm, So that one really seems good.
Speaker 1: It is pretty pretty tight, except again the marks on her body.
Speaker 3: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: Also, more specifically, we're not so sure with the previous one, but with Johanna, we do know for sure. She does not have a small tattoo on her wrist that kate Yup actually does have. Kate Yup in her early videos shows a tattoo about the side of a quarter on her left wrist, which she later covers up with a wristband.
Speaker 3: But yeah, okay, in this UFC fighter sorry what was her name, Johanna does not have this.
Speaker 1: She does not have that tattoo nor the same freckles or marks that Kate Yup has.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's out then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and unfortunately, no one has ever been able to find a suspected individual with the same tattoo as Kate. But there is another person out there, a YouTuber who did find a very convincing lead. The YouTuber is by the name of Tory Kinlove did some reverse Google search sor reverse Google image searching theory and found a Facebook photo tagging a woman by the name of Kate Yup located in France. She compared the photo of the girl to Kate Yup from her YouTube videos resemblance and all that was extremely convincing. In fact, the two were very wearing very similar rings on the same fingers as well.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the photo that she found on Facebook was taken at a distance which made it very hard to see things like freckles and moles, so they could not be identified to be confirming, and even more so unfortunate, the photo has since been removed by the individual who posted it and tagged Kate.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, that seems kind of fishy.
Speaker 1: That is extremely fishy. So whether this is her or not, the main question is was Kate kidnapped? Was she a victim of some sort of violence or some sort of scenario, or is there something else at play?
Speaker 3: Huh and literally in twenty nineteen, just cold turkey, like nothing else from this person norrecked. Okay?
Speaker 1: Correct? Now, here are some theories that may explain something in a little bit of a different light rather than she's kidnapped or something like that. Right, So, primarily Kate Yup has an eating disorder, an eating disorder that we all are all very familiar with. Actually bolimia. Now, as described by a website Maoclinic dot organ that I found, they put it together very well in a description here, people with bolimia may secretly binge, eating large amounts of food with a loss of control over their eating, and then purge, trying to get rid of the extra calories in an unhealthy the way.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: That sounds a lot like what Kate Yup could have very potentially have been doing.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I haven't said that. I was like, what are they doing with all this food?
Speaker 1: Was she throwing it up? Now? Furthermore, bolina is of course very hard on the body and can cause things like very easily bruising, oh okay, and can cause damage to an individual's teeth and gums, potentially explaining why she so easily lost her tooth while eating.
Speaker 3: Huh okay, I didn't know that part.
Speaker 1: So this YouTube channel could have very well have been Kate's outlet to binge eat, and of course she would have covered up her face. Many people who suffer from an eating disorder like this often view themselves in a very negative way. Yeah, it's really sad, and they wouldn't want to associate themselves with this binge eating act. It makes a lot of sense. But what about the SOS message? What about the help message? What about the man whispering in the background?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because I also feel like if she was hiding this, would she have had someone present? Right? Like, would someone have been helping or doing this with her?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that I just don't feel like that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, this kind of leads to a little bit of another theory about it being a bit of a setup. As her channel grew, she began eating more, you know, specifically for the views and specifically for the subscribers.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and making money potentially and such.
Speaker 1: Right yep, So a boyfriend or someone very well could have been there to help her and keep her eating to maintain these views, coercing her to keep going, very much so like a coach on the edge of a boxing ring or a swimming pool, helping the person continue to go. Now, especially even if you do include the eating disorder within this, it makes a lot of it. I don't think that someone who views this eating in a negative light, who just does it once in a while because they need to, is going to want to do it more for the views when they want to, especially when there's such negative connotations attached to it. Now, As for the messages, it could have been something that got out of hand again playing with views and subscribers. People watching develop theories and continue to watch more and more. So Kate could have simply gave them something to watch for and theorize about, and then when things got a little too out of control, whether it was something like an eating disorder or potentially fan theories getting far beyond anything she could comprehend, was done with it. Yeah, she could have simply just walked away and dissociated herself from this YouTube channel altogether.
Speaker 3: Wow huh, this is just like mind blowing though, But it is. I also just feel that theory too. It the but the coach or whatever, and like if this person did kind of suffer from an eating disorder, like I don't love that, oh no at all. Like is that someone that literally is like a loved one, you know, Like that just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: In all honesty. I don't think there's a single thing about this case, any scenario. I don't love a kidnapping victim. I don't love I guess actually, if it is the UFC fighter who's just like, yeah, I'm gonna hide my identity and I'll just do it, what if I want?
Speaker 3: That would seem terrible? Does it?
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't, but it's it's proven to not be her right. But if it is an eating disorder, I don't love that this individual is going through that. If it is someone who's coercing them to do it, I don't love that. If it is someone who's fishing for views and subscribers and faking this, I don't love that. Yeah, of course, all this, unfortunately is just speculation though, like everything surrounding this is pure speculation. Was Kate ever in danger? Was it from another person or herself that she was in danger from? Was it all in act? Was it a kink between two people to consenting adults? Yeah, just got wrapped up in the Internet. I don't know. We honestly probably won't ever know. The only way we'll ever solve this is if another video is posted on Kate's channel.
Speaker 3: And I mean honestly too, like what happens if she did die or something right? But it was even like just a car accident or something right, and that's why the video stopped too.
Speaker 1: Yep, we most likely will never know as off right now though Kate's channel has one point three nine million subscribers and only twenty nine videos.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: The thirtieth video where her teeth actually fallout, has since been removed by YouTube for violating guidelines.
Speaker 3: Oh has it okay?
Speaker 1: Which I'm assuming it's the teeth falling out that they were not cool with?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because so, because I'm very intrigued to know what that she was eating at that point, I was almost gonna go look, even though it's like I don't know if I want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I haven't found the exact video, like the entire video myself, but I'm sure you could find the whole thing out there. I've seen clips, but not the whole thing. But you can definitely go take a look and see what she was eating.
Speaker 3: For sure, and so and she was really only had those injuries in one video, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Or was there other The bruising on the arm was in one particular video, but there she's wearing longer sleeve shirts and.
Speaker 3: Other videos too, you wouldn't even know.
Speaker 1: Which leads to more speculation, right, she covering things up.
Speaker 3: Exactly, huh. But I do think that if that was some sort of like uh like assault or whatever, that they would probably have covered that up as well. Yeah, in that video.
Speaker 1: Now the people have gone down like major major internet sleuthing over this case as far as trying to find reflections and the bowls and the the oh my god, individuals.
Speaker 3: It's so amazing what they do.
Speaker 1: Yes, though nothing has been found. But one thing I really like, actually, her finger nail are usually like well taken care of. Would a kidnapped victim have very nice manicured fingers now?
Speaker 3: I doubt it not at all, unless unless they're prepping it exactly.
Speaker 1: So, now we're just right back to where we started exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything had it seems so much makes sense but then it's like, well.
Speaker 1: The sum of this is there's an individual who was eating a crap ton of food on YouTube, got famous for it, and they stopped posting.
Speaker 3: And then seemed to disappear.
Speaker 1: That is all we know. We know nothing else. Everything else has been completely fabricated by the Internet.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if there's still people out there looking into this.
Speaker 1: Oh there is, yeah. Yeah. You go to Kate's YouTube channel, there are people posting daily comments regarding this. You go to Reddit, there's people talking about it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yep. Now, whether the these conspiracy theories are true or not, that's who knows. We'll probably never find out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, my brain I'm going back and forth. I have no idea which one I think it is.
Speaker 1: I hope you can sleep good tonight after this one. I don't know.
Speaker 3: My mind is going a mile minute because I in my head, I'm like it's that one for sure, like yeah, and then you'll say something else because I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, yeah, well we'll probably never know, huh. And that is the story of Kate yup.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is like so interesting And I've never heard anything about this. I didn't even know what the what did you call it again, muckbang, muckbang. I didn't even know that was a thing that existed.
Speaker 1: Before, clear clearly because you asked me to define it incessantly, and I'm like, it's coming up, comya, tits.
Speaker 3: Well, am I the only person in the world that doesn't know.
Speaker 2: What that is?
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure you're not okay.
Speaker 3: Because that's like a whole new world for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, I won't, I won't. All right, Well, thank you for listening. I hope you guys enjoyed this case. If you want, you can go ahead and check out Kate Yupp's channel on YouTube. If you want to check out our social media's links are all down below, including Patreon, where you can get exclusive behind the scenes and of course our exclusive Patreon only episode that comes out every last day of every month, plus a little bit extra once in a while. Because they're awesome over there, but that life doesn't mean you guys are an awesome over here. We appreciate you regardless, So thank you for listening, and of course, until next time, stay wicked.