Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by a decanted jug wine, snow days, and frigid temperatures is currently sixteen degrees here in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I am your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Burr Yeah, hi baby, Hi, it's it's been Yeah. This is like Antarctica or something like. The snow is not melting. I mean it's melting, but not really like I don't think I've ever seen this quite really where it stays so cold that it's not melted away after what it's this two weeks that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean I've seen it before because there was a lot of snow and it's piled up and it takes a lot longer for a big mound to melt than little I.
Speaker 1: Know, the mounds, but I'm talking about you know, the driveway hasn't even gotten a little wider nothing's melting wack.
Speaker 2: Well, it's all mounds.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it's crazy here.
Speaker 2: It's not patches and mounds, just mounds.
Speaker 1: The weather's been cold, restricting travel and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, except I still gotta go to work.
Speaker 1: You still gotta go to work. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm not going to know what to do with myself when I only have to wear one pair of pants.
Speaker 1: Right, it's been really stupidly cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 1: I just know.
Speaker 2: I always say I had descend from a tropical people. This is not my bag, No exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, It's like it was thirty degrees or something the other day and it felt warm.
Speaker 2: It really did. I went outside, it was like, oh, it's warm out, and I look to check the temperature thing and it was like forty eight fifty two. It was thirty.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because we're under like a severe weather advisory. And you know, when I was looking at the low temperatures, it's going down once again to seven degrees overnight. Seven degrees. Yeah, that's all I have to say about that. Seven degrees. Yeah, yesterday we did drive around, we went and sell Kathy and it was fourteen degrees. The whole trip.
Speaker 2: Yes, Spur not a huge fan.
Speaker 1: No me either. So it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: It has been a minute. Well, it's been officially two weeks since we last.
Speaker 1: Recording, I think. So. Yeah, we're recording here Sunday, February eighth, in the year of Someone's Lord, twenty twenty six. Right, oh God, so lots has happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, has happened? Is happening going to happen? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we keep saying, this is the design to just exhaust you with absurdity. We don't be distracted exactly.
Speaker 2: Eyes on the prize and all that.
Speaker 1: Keep asking for those files.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the unedited ones, and we keep and the stuff that I have learned wish I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, right, you know, the one thing I saw and I did not look into this at all, and I think we will talk about a story. But doctor Ting, who is a renowned gender affirming surgeon and New York I believe he works out of Mount Sinai. He is apparently named right. There are some emails back and forth or whatever, and I've heard a couple of different things because so I again I didn't read it myself, but Elizabeth and I were on the phone, and she said, yeah, you know, his name came up, and immediately he said, well, yes, I knew him. You know, I guess he had done some plastic surgery because that is how he started out. For either him or others in his circle, I don't know. And you know, he was invited to Epstein's Island and he said, I went there with my wife and children. He wasn't even there, like at no time was I ordering up you know, underage sexual partners. Anyway, that's what he is saying. And you know, so Elizabeth was just saying, you know, it's like I wonder how many people are peripherally mentioned. And I had seen something similar about JK that Shay had said. You know, it's not what people are saying. It is as much as we hater, like, let's not create news, right because because that's what they do.
Speaker 2: Just because you're mentioned in the Epstein files only means that your name came up. It could just be you know, documentation of a conversation or an innocuous email like basically they're releasing everything.
Speaker 1: Right and and you know this is and then I saw like right after that, it did come up, you know, on our weekly call and we chatted a bit and I just relayed what you know, Elizabeth had said to me. But then I saw someone posting on Facebook who should know better. You know, if you were planning on going to doctor ting, you know, just cancel that surgery and go hear here or hear And it's based on what right, based on Like again, I you know, I need to read more of it, but the thing I'm talking about it at the moment is just that immediate. If the name is there, right, it must meet. It all means the same thing, right.
Speaker 2: Everything doesn't hold the same weight.
Speaker 1: Right, And these are loss and lots of documents. They all do not pertain to sex trafficking as far as I understand it, because it's like all correspondents right, right, That's what I'm saying. So yeah, so I'm sure at some point, you know, I don't know, he emailed his plumber, but he wasn't hooking the plumber up with thirteen year olds, correct. He reserved that for Donald Trump well and others who we know that about.
Speaker 2: It's because of all the extra nonsense going on that the plumber's attention was necessary, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure, right, And again I didn't read King's statement. But you know, the person who I certainly trust who did said this all makes perfect sense. You know that unless they're proof otherwise, this is entirely plausible. So I just don't want to see people, you know, doing that. M Yes to say what because he he also solicited him for donations to his transgender practice and clinic and all of that, right, So that's burning the profits of our oppressors, right, one can help, right? So yeah, I just as these things come out, and hopefully they do, they're continuing because even though that they've passed the legal time when they were supposed to be released, you know, so every delay is a problem and illegal. But uh, you know that we take it in its totality and and you know, but try not to comment on things we haven't read. And I'm just saying, like, take a take a deep breath, right, you know, because.
Speaker 2: The ship that actually is being said it is bad enough.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, And I'm not saying that a lot of it isn't salacious, but it is it is possible that all of it isn't right, you know. So, and I don't know, I don't know any of these people personally. I just you know, ching has been a pretty excellent surgeon for a long time, you know, for the trans community, and to just try to eliminate him from the face of the map because his name was mentioned and to give him no credence at all seems much. Yeah, because it's a broad brush and things are bad enough that part, when we're looking at the truth, we don't need to embellish it, and we certainly don't need to create more where it's not there. Yeah, And there's something. It was something about Jk's yacht or somehow you know. It was also evidently from again something I read in passing something innocuous, right, like, I don't know she lent him her billion dollar boat because his was in the shop. I don't know, something like that. But you know, it wasn't more than that kind of a something, Right.
Speaker 2: Just because she keeps shitty company doesn't mean that she's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gives us plenty of reasons to hate her without having to manufacture at part. Don't have to manufacture a thing that part. Yeah, we have had some some notable deaths we have Lord. The first one at the end of January, Shirley Rains, Yeah, was fifty eight. She had a nonprofit called beauty to the streets. And she was well known for distributing food and you know, personal care supplies, et cetera to the homeless community on skid Row in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I showed you a video of her that I came across on social media where she was she had like containers take out container of prepared food in bags with with napkins and plastic were and everything all tidy and together. And she would just stop in an area where there's a significant amount of unhoused people and let them know she was there, and they would come up to the car and she would like, you know, give them some food and a and a kind word. And it was just a wonderful thing. Like at one point she was like, I see you don't have to run. I'm not going nowhere, like you know, she it was just a beautiful thing. And that's what she that's what she dedicated her her.
Speaker 1: Time to, right And I remember, you know, us kind of having that side conversation about is this exploiting people?
Speaker 2: You know, like, but it never felt like that to me.
Speaker 1: It didn't when you when you kind of watched her interact with folks. And I do believe a lot of it was filmed, you know, to to increase both awareness and the humanity of these people, as you know, as well as to keep the money flowing right to you know, make this a bigger and broader effort. She was living in Las Vegas, I believe, you know, and also active there, really surprising to a lot of people. You know, she had quite a story on her own. And you know, they would offer makeovers and stuff to women, unhoused women to help to transform the way the public views the unhoused.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I used to see watch those videos too, and they were beautiful because you'd see these women who like, you know, the time they spent on the street, like it showed on their face, in the way they carried themselves, and once they were able to see themselves on the outside, the way they remembered themselves on the inside, it just the energy just lifted. It was so beautiful, and you know she was able to do that for people. Mean, it's not something that a lot of people would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a wellness check that found her. One of her daughters had been trying to get in touch with her all day and called in a wellness check. So, you know, rest in power there was one quote that I had wanted to read. One of the things I wanted to do was change the face of homelessness, and I thought I was going to do that through hair and all these things. She had told People magazine in twenty twenty. But I soon understood we needed to change the narrative of what homeless means. Just because they're without a home does not mean they're without love. They are homeless, but a lot of them are not jobless, A lot of them are not kidless, phone less, or family less. There are many levels of poverty, as there are many levels of wealth. Yeah, yeah, so she really did try to do some good work. Just it was shocking, you know, to a lot of people to hear this because she was only fifty eight, I know, which is very young. I know. I'm just going to say, especially from where I am for real though, Catherine O'Hara, I know this one.
Speaker 2: Hit heard this one hurt me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was seventy one. This was another shock, you know. Again, at the end of January, all we know, I think still all we know is there was some kind of a brief illness and she was taken to the hospital where she died. You know, known for Shit's Creek and Beetlejuice Home Alone at mockumentaries like Best in Show, where she also worked with Eugene Levy.
Speaker 2: She was one of Christopher guests, like consistent players.
Speaker 1: Like her in house. And you know it's funny because she did come from Second City TV SCTV, right. Yeah, she was Canadian born in Toronto in nineteen fifty four. And yeah, the Second City Theater company she had started as a waitress there in Toronto, and you know, wound up a player. You know. The theater's legendary talent includes Stan Ackroyd, Joe Flaherty, and Gilda Radner, yeah, who was a family friend. When she auditioned, Flaherty had some discouraging feedback. He said, keep up the good work your day job, I mean waitressing. Wow wow. Yeah, she had told people she didn't listen, and she landed a spot when she auditioned again. She joined the company in nineteen seventy four. One of her stage mates at that point was comedian Eugene Levy, who would become one of her closest friends and collaborators.
Speaker 2: I do think of them together in my head.
Speaker 1: Oh, because they were, you know, in so many things to other absolutely, absolutely, Yeah, it's uh that hit hard for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: She was another one of those people that whatever she was in, no matter how good it might have already been, was made better by her presence, you know what I mean. Like, I think the first thing I actually remember her from is Beetlejuice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember her first? Was that before Home Alone or after before? It was before okay.
Speaker 2: And if you don't let me got this house, I am going to go crazy and I'm gonna take you with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she always, like every memory I have of her brings me joy. You know, everything she was in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know she was. She had quite a career, a lot of things that you know, she was well known for. She played Oh that's right. Eighty eight was Beetlejuice Delia Diets, the stepmother of Wanona Writer's Lydia, right, and she reprieved her role in twenty twenty four sequel Beetle Juice Beetle Juice.
Speaker 2: Which we still haven't seen, we have not.
Speaker 1: And then it was nineteen ninety when she was cast in Home Alone as Macaulay Cockin's Mom, have that right, yes.
Speaker 2: Where she played the worst mother ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well kind kind of. And then she was also in Home Alone Too, Lost in New York, The Nightmare Before Christmas where she voiced Sally, which I don't even think I realized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that, right, because I don't have that special love in my heart for Nightmare before Christmas that most people do.
Speaker 1: Right, I hear you? You gifted Christian was called the gifted Queen of the Bittersweet.
Speaker 2: That is accurate, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It really is. And again, shit's creek. She was Moira Rose, which I didn't watch.
Speaker 2: Y'all watched it. I didn't want I.
Speaker 1: Watch some of it. I know, I know I never finished it because I want to say, the first couple of seasons kind of drag and then it really hits its stride, right, and you know how I feel about I know and I but I don't think I did get past that first season. Maybe, so yeah, maybe we'll revisit.
Speaker 2: I just remember walking into the room and listening to her, listen to more Rose talking. I'm like, why does she talk like that? What accent is that supposed to be? And it don't matter right?
Speaker 1: Right? It was? It was quite a character and cast. And uh, who is Eugene Levy's son David Dan Dan Levey, Yes, who played her son and was just happened to be gay and right, you know.
Speaker 2: Well that was the whole thing about the show that you know, it took place in a world where homophobia like just didn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice.
Speaker 2: Right, So like the premise of it, I found intriguing. I just didn't watch it for whatever reason. And the title, I still can't believe they were able to get that title on TELEVISIH which one Shit's Creek Creek?
Speaker 1: Yeah s h I t T. I did love that. I thought that was very funny, that ship's creek made up as the title. So yeah, rest in power. Catherine O'Hara indeed gone at seventy one.
Speaker 2: And then Demand Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's like, what is God?
Speaker 2: Why are y'all taking my childhood? Yeah?
Speaker 1: From Sanford and Son. He played Lamont Yeah aka big Dummy, Big Dummy. Yes, he died at seventy nine. Yeah, I believe he spent the latter half of his life I had read as a minister correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he also acted, because I remember the last thing I saw him in he played lens biological father on Girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Okay, he did have cancer, although I don't think they ever revealed the type, and died in his home in Palm Springs of complications related to right cancer. It's a shame. Yeah. Sanford and Son, he.
Speaker 2: Was another one that, like, you know, he just always was a welcome presence in everything that he was in.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. He really was. He really was.
Speaker 2: And I related to to to lamont On on Sanford and Son, you know, the whole like wanting more for yourself no matter where you happen to be from.
Speaker 1: Right, you know. Right. And his actual first name, which I thought was interesting, was Grady, yeah, Gray. And there was the character at a friend of ye Red Sandford, who was Grady, right, So I wonder.
Speaker 2: If that was because it's not that common of a name. It really is not, so really is not like even then, I don't think.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, Sanford AND's son, I did not realize was only on between seventy two and seventy seven. Yeah, so about six year, six seasons. I guess part of that seasons maybe was.
Speaker 2: Red Fox didn't want to be type cast as an old man because he wasn't as old as he played.
Speaker 1: No, he wasn't was he he was not all.
Speaker 2: That old and he was starting to like get put in that box.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And he was like I still got like host to fucking cocaine to snort that I can't be.
Speaker 1: Right right right.
Speaker 2: I'm not speaking out a term by saying that he.
Speaker 1: Was yeah right, I remember he uh, Wanda Page right, Lawanda, Lawanda Page? What played his.
Speaker 2: And esther, well, his sister Esther, his wife's sister.
Speaker 1: His dead wife who was because he was I'm coming, I'm coming Elizabeth Elizabeth, yes, yes, and apparently and I don't remember when I heard this, but she was a filthy all my goal. She worked dark Blue.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you that, Midnight Blue. Because I discovered on Apple Music all these old old school comedian sets, like I discovered Dick Gregory and Red.
Speaker 3: Fox and and and and I came across Lawanda Page and I was like, I okay, So when I was in college used to buy all these house tapes, and there was this one like Triple X house tape, and there was a set of hers that was.
Speaker 2: On there, and I was like, Okay, that's nasty, but you know I can handle that. It's it's kind of funny. And then I found an actual comedy album of hers. I couldn't listen to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It was too much for me, really, that much.
Speaker 2: I was like, goddamnbility, put the where and the what until you fall in the witch and you're wiping it from what off your ooh child, I can't I might walk past the child, or I want to eat food later. I can't listen to them.
Speaker 1: Right, that's funny because not many comedians worked filthy.
Speaker 2: That was a philth a. I have never heard any comic more dirty than Lawanda Page.
Speaker 1: And I never knew that.
Speaker 2: And that's that's oh, that's saying some shit.
Speaker 1: I never knew that. But yeah, I remember that. I think I think we talked about that when she died. Yeah, that they you know, people were talking about this early.
Speaker 2: Days she also did. She was a talented burlesque performer who.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, they used to call those party albums, I think to the comedy albums that were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that album would bring the party to us, screeching, fucking usually.
Speaker 1: Right risque, but not right yeah.
Speaker 2: Because like bred Fox, that was a party album. La Wanda Age is what you I guess play to let people know it's time to go. I don't know, maybe, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: I just always thought it was funny, you know, the innuendo, the you know, there was no innuendo. No, that's what Yeah, that's that's what I'm gathered. Anyway. Anyway, demand Wilson, Yes, gone at seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was part of the joke of like why his his aunt esther was like this holy roller because in real life.
Speaker 1: In real life, she was not not even not even not not a bit.
Speaker 2: I mean there was rolling, and there was holes, but it was not the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Since since we last sat down to record, there was another murder by ice in Minneapolis, a white man Saturday the twenty fourth, Yes, a nurse, Alex Freddy. Again video there is video footage. He was trying to help another woman. He did have a holstered weapon, which he told them he had, which he told them he had, and which was legal. He had a permit to carry, to open carry and you know, remember good guys with a gun, remember all that. Yeah, So I.
Speaker 2: Saw the video and in the video his hands were up and away from that weapon. Then they shot him.
Speaker 1: They were not in danger, No, they were not. This was murder. This was homicide execution, Yes, as was the last one. Yeah, he was an ICU nurse, thirty seven years old. You know, so many lives came out of this administration directly after his death, you know. And it really is so Orwellian having them basically say, what are you going to believe your own eyes or us?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, and so many mega idiots and bots and whatever the hell I'm saying on the internet, they will take any story and go with it, you know, and listen to these absurd justifications and twists and turns and then parrot them. And they just keep doing It's what they've been doing to trans people this whole time, and they've been doing it about that and it's absolutely imporrant. What has been interesting in the wake of all this is this has put the gun lobby at odds with the White House, uh, because you know, they tried to say, well, he had a weapon, as if having a weapon is a reason to be murdered in the street. Right, Yeah, that goes against everything you said you stood for, right.
Speaker 2: And interestingly enough, it didn't work the way they're used to it happening when the person that they've killed was black. Yeah, yeah, just saying, just saying. The actions of Trump's federal agencies have drawn fierce criticism, even from former presidents, who traditionally do not speak when they're out of office about current policy. But Barack Obama and Bill Clinton have both been loud, and so has George Bush at times. Yeah, but America is a powerful pro gun lobby, the NRA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I never thought that I would agree with them about anything. They're consistent, and a lot of people said, where's the NRAA right? You know, you've got a sitting president. Basically he's saying he wants to take your guns. He always said it would be a Democrat. It's not right, No, it's it's this dude. You all worship, but the worship is changing. And you know, we've got a couple of stories that kind of show that because the way that that elections are going, et cetera, more and more people have had it with all this nonsense.
Speaker 2: And then the other people are really like doing yoga twists and turns to get themselves behind him at this point and still be supportive and say supportive things. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Since his killing, a lot of attention has focused on his gun. Carrying a handgun, whether openly or holstered, is legal in Minnesota, and Preddie had a license for his gun, so he was perfectly within his rights to be carrying it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they never pictured liberals carrying guns, but some of us do, right, just like Keith Water. And there is nothing to suggest from the footage that he attempted to draw it or use it while being tackled by agents.
Speaker 2: But he was letting them know that he had it. They wouldn't be surprised, right, and also so that you know, no one could say, well, they planted it on him, No, it's mine, I have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the United States, the right to keep in bare arms is the second Amendment of our Constitution. It's a pretty big deal to a lot of people, especially we thought conservatives. Right. So when various figures in the Trump regime suggested that the agents had been justified in shooting pretty because he was carrying a holstered weapon, that they provoked outrage from gun rights activists. Many of those people are usually on the same page as the White House. Yeah, yeah, they're not right now. First was FBI direct Cash bettel Ye, who told Fox News, you cannot bring a firearm loaded with multiple magazines to any sort of protest that you want dead. Wrong, replied the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus and the group Gun Owners of America. You're legally entitled to bring a gun to a protest.
Speaker 2: Tell that to Kyle Rittenhouse.
Speaker 1: I know, and you know, their hypocrisy is just on full display the more of these things that happened. You know, do we all remember them celebrating Kyle Rittenhouse?
Speaker 2: They still are?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, And that was totally illegal, cross state lines with it. All of that was not okay. But oh yeah, they called him a hero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they still do.
Speaker 1: He's a hero. What he was was a racist white boy. Another one, Yeah, yet another. A Trump appointed district attorney waited in arguing, if you approach law enforcement with a gun, there is a high likelihood they will beat LEA hadn't shooting you? What right? This did draw rebuke from the nra M. This sentiment is dangerous and wrong. Responsible public voices should be a waiting a full investigation, not making generalizations and demonizing law abiding citizens. Yeah, there's abundant video evidence that Prettie was not handling his gun. Irresponsibly. He was not waving it around, He wasn't threatening anyone, nope. In fact, he wasn't even touching it.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: He didn't approach the federal agents they appeared to pile on him, yep. And he was disarmed of his holstered weapon by one of them before.
Speaker 2: That was the other thing.
Speaker 1: He was killed.
Speaker 2: He had his hands away from his weapon the entire time they took it off of him and then shot.
Speaker 4: Him executions now, yeah, yeah, remember that tyrannical government that guns were supposed to protect us from.
Speaker 1: I don't yet. Yep. Y'all are part of it. That's the problem. You've aligned yourselves with said tyrannical government. So what a conundrument must be for you?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope you all sort that out. It's been an interesting conversation. We've got more about the Minnesota situation to shake up, et cetera. What I have seen come out of this is just community. Oh, you know, citizens everyday citizens banding together, you know, going to the grocery store for one another, or taking children to and from school. For those who are afraid of the ice occupation and afraid of being picked up in the streets. So we've seen citizens really, you know, band together and build community. And again I always say to let's look at the responses to the ugly.
Speaker 2: And community is frequently and often formed in times of strife. It is, It's true, and if not formed, then strengthened.
Speaker 1: Community like art is often formed in times of strife. Let's take a quick break and come back with some good news, because we've got quite a bit of it. Okay, we'll be right back, and we're back. We're back good news. Let's talk about good news. I'll let you strive.
Speaker 2: So this year marks the one hundredth anniversary of basically the celebration of Black history. In nineteen twenty six, Carter G. Woodson, also known as the Father of Black History, founded Negro History.
Speaker 1: Week, Okay, in February.
Speaker 2: And I think that that is amazing because Black History, of course is twenty four seven, three sixty five. But the idea of celebrating the achievements of black people in America and worldwide is you know, being one hundred years old. That's kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not new and important, more important now than ever. This was an Out in New Jersey article from February seventh, New Jersey yesterday, Right, New Jersey's illustrious history of Black LGBTQ CO.
Speaker 2: I know I saw this. I was like a word. I knew.
Speaker 1: Marsha P. Johnson I believe was born in yes, like Patterson or something or Elizabeth somewhere up there. But who else do we have here?
Speaker 2: Okay? So there's Gladys Bentley, gifted pianist and blues singer who was among the most notorious and successful African American lesbians of the Harlem Renaissance. Oh yeah, she briefly lived in Jersey, married her white girlfriend in a civil ceremony in Atlantic City. Oh she did not give a fuck in nineteen thirty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nineteen thirty one in Atlantic Cudy, how about that.
Speaker 2: At a time when anti misagination laws.
Speaker 1: With the law of the land. Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Same sex marriage would not be federally recognized until twenty fifteen, So yeah, they didn't give a fuck. Between McCarthyism and the Black Church, she came under fire. Purportedly, the Black Church basically forced her to conform and to embrace her respect ability. She was reported to have taken female hormones to cure her lesbianism. She published an article in Ebony magazine declaring, I am a woman again shortly after she married a man sixteen years her junior.
Speaker 1: YEA, what the fuck I mean? Yeah, so it was just a hormone thing.
Speaker 2: Right before James Baldwin, there was Richard Bruce Nugent, known simply as Bruce, who was a writer and a painter who stood in stark defiance of black bourgeois respectability, politics, and the ideology of racial uplift. Unapologetically out and proudly gay. Nugent's brashness challenged norms in both mainstream American society and within Black communities. I Love It. He produced some of the earliest American literature to depict homosexuality, bisexuality, and interracial desire in affirming ways. Oh His nineteen twenty six short story Smoke, Lily's and Jade predates Baldwin's nineteen fifty six Giovanni's by three decades Smoke, Lilies and Jade That is a foundational queer black piece. And renowned Philadelphia choreographer Zane Booker had a very popular black and queer focused dance and art showcase in Philly called Smoke Lilies and Jade, which is where I first heard the title, right, And then I found out that that was I found out about the literary work. And now I see how that all all ties in.
Speaker 1: How about them? Yeah, he spent his final years in Hoboken, so that is his tie to New Jersey apparently. And then the other person mentioned in the article, Whitney Houston. Oh yeah, yeah, everybody knew Whitney Houston was queer. Everybody knew. Everybody that knew her knew, right, I mean it was not it was an open secret. But but she.
Speaker 2: Wasn't allowed to be herself a right.
Speaker 1: That is correct. She was posthumously outed in the more a Song for You in My Life with Whitney Houston by Robin Crawford, and Robin was famously the family basically sent her away. Yeah, h they should just let her hang out because Whitney was way better off. But it was you know, they killed the goose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a popular opinion, especially popular on this show. If they would have allowed her to be herself, she would probably still be alive.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. But now yeah, now, Bobby Brown did write about Houston's lesbianism as an open secret. He told you weekly, I really feel that if Robin was accepted into Whitney's life, Whitney would still be alive today. And that's Bobby Brown, right saying that, and it's true. Right, you know, I've heard a lot of people say that, and I agree with that that, you know, if they would have just let them be because she was happy? Right? But no, mm, yeah, we have so many stories anyway, Let's keep going because there's so much here. I did, you know, just as a follow up to the story about Renee Good, who was also murdered in Minneapolis, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner classified her death as a homicide. I thought it was important to note that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I mean du, but it's official.
Speaker 1: DU. But yeah, it's official, and I believe I just heard he was listed that way as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what else we got? Amy Klobuchar is launching a bid for Minnesota as Minnesota governor. She is an ally, so that's not a bad thing.
Speaker 2: I'll take that.
Speaker 1: She said, I love my job in the Senate, but I love our state more than any job. She announced that she because Tim Walls recently said he would not seek a third term. Right, I guess he could, right, Yeah, that's what it sounds like. But he he said he will not be doing that. So she is running and I could see that.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, she has a shot.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. For sure. So that's some good news. Anyway. Oh here, water's what this was listed in them. February two, a federal court ruled that requiring the use of trans students pronouns does not violate the First Amendment. Adah Well, a Christian substitute teacher, first sued the school for having to use a transstudent's pronouns in twenty twenty four. This is a Maryland school district, and they can still now require staff to use trans students' personal pronouns, according to a federal appeals court ruling, And so the claim from the Christian person one First Amendment grounds was denied. Yeah. On January twenty eighth, i' three remember panel of the Fourth US Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a previous district court decision against Kimberley Polk, who first sued Montgomery County Public Schools in twenty twenty four. I am sure she had applied for a religious exemption from this policy, and good it was later withdrawn. Apparently it was going to be good later withdrawn as it should have been by the compliance coordinator. She asked for an injunction so that she could continue to teach, and they denied that. She appealed to the Fourth Circuit that was denied. It was a two to one decision.
Speaker 2: Everywhere she went she was rejected.
Speaker 1: Right, But you know, this is probably one that they want to take to the Supreme Court because they expect a different result there. So Judge Robert B. King, who was a Clinton appointee, wrote for the majority of folks, free speech claim fails before she can break out of the gate. Good, Yeah, there was a dissent. Fucking of course they may appeal because you know culture wars anyway, right, what's what she lost? So at least in some instances the courts are holding The Texas and M senior lecturer who was fired for acknowledging that trans people exist, Oh yeah, is fighting back. She has filed a lawsuit accusing the chief of staff of Greg Arrant of pressuring the university's now resigned president, Mark A. Welsh, the third to fire her, and also accused A and M's supervisors of telling university Provost Alan Sam's not to give her a required disciplinary hearing before her termination, So there were several missteps. She said, there's no satisfaction in doing this, only sadness. I hear that right, the fact that you have to do it at all. Yeah. I had hoped to keep doing this work for many years to come despite how I was treated. I still love the institution, my former colleagues, and the students of A and M. So Yeah. She says that she was fired even though she did not violate any law or university policy. She was terminated for exercising her academic freedom guaranteed under the First Amendment. That is what her lawsuit states. She seeks reinstatement to her position, punitive damages, back pay, another restitution good good. She is a member of the American Association of University Professors and the American Federation of Teachers, who are also covering her legal fees. Quote. Doctor mccoole's firing was the canary in the coal mine for Texas University. This is Brian Evans, president of the AAUP Texas Conference. They had a chance to stand up to the politicians seeking to meddle in Texas universities and instead they caved. Yep, sure, yep, and yeah, there was a student who recorded her and told her A Christian conservative student secretly recorded a class conversation where the student told her it was not legal to teach about gender ideology because according to our president, there's only two genders and mcool was actually teaching a course on children's literature that included mention of trans individuals. She told the student that if they were uncomfortable, they had the right to leave and to discuss their complaint with the department head. The student then recruited their subsequent conversation with Welsh, in which the student demanded that McCall be fired. Welsh refused and explained that the university's courses include LGBTQ plus content to train future educators and counselors who may work with individuals different from themselves. That was right, Yeah, And then it all went to home.
Speaker 2: The thing that it just jumped into my head And this is the question that I have asked many times, but I'm asking it again. Do stupid people know they're stupid?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: That whole ignorance is bliss thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of because goddamn right. Yeah. Last November, the university System's Board of Regents unanimously approved a new policy requiring the presidents of each of its twelve statewide campuses to sign off on any course that could be seen as advocating for race and gender ideology or topics related to sexual orientation or gender identity. What the actual fund that word ideology? Just y'a don't even know what that means. I know, I think that they're afraid that people will. You know, they're not creating enough bullies, I guess right, if there's the chance that they may learn information, it's incredible empathy, bad empathy, bad diversity, bad women, bad trans people, bad. Yeah, everything that isn't them.
Speaker 2: Craziness, like they're so goddamn great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. England's official LGBTQ Fans group will not attend the FIFA World Cup Games in unsafe US. Hey yep, huh. This was published January eighteenth. This is actually published the last time I recorded Three Lions Pride.
Speaker 2: Do you know how bad things have to be for queer folks to not want to go look at soccer players?
Speaker 1: Huh? I'm just saying, yeah, it's a three hundred and fifty member group, the official supporters group of the England football team, announced that they would not have a visible presence at the twenty twenty six World Cup in the United States, citing serious concern over fan safety, human rights and they approach to ticketing and accessibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, until y'all fix this shit, and I'm doing a general sweeping gesture, we will not be attending. I imagine that's a chunk of revenue.
Speaker 1: Do you blame them? Hell no, I mean, do you remember when this the first time this bullshit came about. It was in North Carolina about you know, trans folk and bathrooms, right, and it was a disaster and they realized quickly it was a disaster and they were going to lose revenue and they were going to lose conferences and everything else. And a lot of corporations hammered them for it at that time. And that is happening right by the way. It still is happening. Like a lot less is going on in Florida these days because of these rules. You know, when your employees can't go to a conference because you know you're going to arrest them when they have to be. It's not a welcoming state for you know, business, right exactly. So, yeah, that was that was what happened with same things. So this is not a surprise at all because there is there seems to be sanity outside this country. Yeah. I can't blame them, right.
Speaker 2: Not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't. Yeah that's saying something, you know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so especially considering you know, they're not going to put this in the brochure. But you know, there's a whole lot of people who go to soccer games and rugby games just to look at the players. Couldn't tell you a shit about the game.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna go Now.
Speaker 2: I've been saying if every queer person were to like remove themselves from like so much of mainstream society, it's on masks, and you realize exactly how many people that is y'all might pay attention.
Speaker 1: But you know, this was just kind of fun and I wanted to mention it. Chris Mattel or Matal, was the Republican trial or running for governor in Minnesota, and he dropped out of the race, yep, citing the violence. He said, you know, the federal immigration agent's actions in the state are unconstitutional. They've gone too far, and he said I could note he could no longer be a part of a party that excuses them. Right, good for him, Like, I ain't getting involved with that, thank you. Yeah, because this again a lot of so much of this is Look, this is well beyond parties, folks. This is really about you know, morality, decency. Yeah, way way past political parties. But yeah, he ended his campaign, did not. Yeah, he had just launched his bit in December.
Speaker 2: I guess it's hard to like be governor and be out in the streets protesting ice at the same time.
Speaker 5: M h.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His decision came after Trump's immigration goons, I'm reading from the Daily Curs shot and killed a second American citizen who had been filming ices violent and unconstitutional tactics. Yeah, yeah, so that was interesting, right good. I don't know how you can be a Republican and be a person of any kind of conscience at all. Well, part like, you know, I just they've been stripping themselves for quite some time of decency, you know, because they're left with the dregs of the religious right right and all of the insanity that that entails. And it's a lot and that's basically who's running this party at this point. So I do want to point out that, and this was also in January, the Democrats successfully stripped all anti trans riders from the final appropriations bills. The HHS and Education bills once contained the most sweeping anti trans provisions in congressional history, and now they contain none. So good. That was impressive that they got it all taken out of there. Yeah, that was great. I wanted to just mention that that happened beautiful, Yeah, because it was starting to look really ridiculous for the moment. We can breathe for the moment. Yeah. I mean, this doesn't mean that we're not still targets, but at least in terms of everything, all the bullshit that they put into appropriations, that's gone right, and it shouldn't be there in the first place. It's got nothing to do with appropriations. So you know, that's a win. I'll take it. I thought that was good news. Indeed, I also wanted to point out I love to quote Fox News polls, I really do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do.
Speaker 1: It was a Fox newspoll done that tells US Americans prefer Democrats on transgender issues by twenty two points. Okay, Yeah, Virtually every subgroup surveyed, from mothers to black voters to even rural white voters, expressed greater confidence in the Democratic Party's handling of transgender issues in their latest polis January thirtieth. I'm reading from.
Speaker 2: Because Democrats go by facts and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anti transgender politics appears to be losing steam with American voters. That trend was already visible in November, when multiple candidates who centered their campaigns on anti trans messaging were soundly defeated despite spending enormous sums on attack ads. Now there is fresh evidence from an unlikely source where voters say Democrats have a better approach to transgender issues by a wide margin. This year's long anti trans panic may finally be wearing thin among voters. It has been right. This is not voters wanting this shit. I mean, I've realized that, you know, some of them do get all lathered up, But by and large, it's not the public that's doing this. It's the pedophiles in the Republican Party that have been doing this right, and they're no buddies.
Speaker 2: We can just get folks to act right when they're actually voting right.
Speaker 1: The children's genital fetishists of the GOP. You know, that's been the problem. And you know, it is like becoming a not not just not a winning strategy, it's becoming a losing strategy. So yeah, but what do they have if they're not you know, what else are they going to focus on actually governing? That'll never happen.
Speaker 2: They don't know how to do that.
Speaker 1: They don't know how to do it. Well, they never really did. I mean, you know, small government, drown it in a bathtub. We haven't had much governing out of the Republican Party since the eighties.
Speaker 2: Way, what was that line in Hamilton? They don't have a plan. They just don't like.
Speaker 1: Mine exactly exactly. And they still don't right, you know, and and and their bullshit is wearing sin. But you know, I thought that the results were really interesting. I would like you to post this in the notes. That's from Aaron Reid Aaron in the Morning. Because it's fun. It's fun to look at Yeah, yeah, I love it when they're the ones who do the polls.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Oh more water is wet. By the way, this has just been coming out of the last few days. New research shows trans women have no athletic advantage over SUS gender women.
Speaker 2: Oh wow? Really?
Speaker 1: A landmark scientific review published this week or last week, I guess, has delivered one of the clearest messages yet in the global debate over trans inclusion in sports. Trans women do not demonstrate advantages over cis gender women after undergoing gender affirming hormone therapy. The findings, drawn from an extensive analysis of existing research, directly challenge widely repeated claims lies used to justify bans on transathletes. And most of the time, there aren't any transathletes to ban, or there's one or two, right maybe. The study was read by researchers at the University of Sal Paulo, and it was reviewed more than fifty studies, encompassing data from six four hundred and eighty five individuals, including nearly three thousand trans women. This large scale review examined a range of metrics, including body composition, strengths measures, and cardiovascular fitness before and after hormone treatment. Researchers found that while transgender women may retain differences in lean body mass compared with cisgender women, these differences do not translate into superior athletic performance. Damn it Instead, physical fitness indicators such as upper and lower body strength and maximal oxygen consumption converge closely with those of cisgender women within one, two, three years of hormone therapy yepe. These findings counter the long standing assumption that trans women inherently outperforms CIS women in sports contexts. I'm sorry, I disagree that that's a long standing assumption. I disagree because you know, we had things in place. This was not some hotly debated topic until Republicans made it one.
Speaker 2: That's this is true.
Speaker 1: Nobody was talking about it. You know when when Leah Thomas was swimming, you know, the rules were already there for her to.
Speaker 2: Follow, and she was following them, and she was following them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. But you know, losers got gotta makes any anyway. Yeah, I disagree with that particular sentence here. But evidence also demonstrates that functional performance, the type of performance that determines athletic competitiveness, is comparable across groups. Despite differences in raw muscle mass or body fat distribution, trans women show no significant differences in upper body strength, lower body strength, or aerobic capacity when compared with CIS gender women. Following sustained hormone therapy. This holds true even in studies involving thousands of participants, adding weight to the conclusion that physiological changes induced by gender affirming care effectively level the playing field. H yeah, we know we've been saying. And importantly, this new review challenges policy approaches that rely on claims of enduring male puberty advantage. While some anatomical traits such as height or skeletal dimensions do not change with hormone therapy, the researchers note that the current evidence does not support the idea that these traits provide meaningful or measurable sports related benefits for trans women after their physiology has shifted in response to treatment. I can tell you I can't open jars like, I can't live half the shit I used to be able to you, and I don't know a girl who can yet just magically, like we notice the difference. We can tell you a lot of shit changes.
Speaker 2: Of course, it changes, and I'm not going to pretend I don't get a little joy out of it sometimes. Sure, I'll do that for your wife of mine and.
Speaker 1: Which I love, because otherwise what the fuck would I be doing? I would be I don't know, breaking open jars, like what the fuck? I don't throw them on the floor, and then hope I don't get but yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I'll get that for you, little lady.
Speaker 1: We have no we've known this stuff, and you know I do. Keep saying. One of the upsides to these unintended consequences to these blithering idiots, Yeah, blathering idiots either, right.
Speaker 2: That both are acceptable.
Speaker 1: Good is that we are seeing more studies. We are seeing people trying to prove these things, and they're disproving them because they were never true in the first place, you know, so start getting cozy with the fact that you've been lied to. Right, We're not the one is lying correct about us or our healthcare, or we're not the ones telling you the lies. We are not. Our agenda is to survive. That's our agenda, not to fuck with anybody.
Speaker 2: Sidebar, What would you do if I actually referred to you was a little lady?
Speaker 1: Don't?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: It's condescending. Well, yeah, exactly, Yeah, it's condescending us.
Speaker 2: That's always like I was jokes, Oh what would I It's bad enough when I feel like I'm being referred to as little lady.
Speaker 1: Who within the words are unspoken. I don't need them said.
Speaker 2: I mean, I never would. I was just curious because like, that's not a thing that's ever come up in our house. So I was curious.
Speaker 1: No, but we've had that argument once or twice where I'm like, when did I lose brain cells? When did I my IQ didn't go down? You know, And it's it is a topic of conversation sometimes. In fact, there's a ted talk about it, a trans women talking about I was not prepared for my little lowering of my IQ. I was not prepared for, you know, men to look right past me and yeah, it's always fun. And and the women who do it too, because the misogyny is not oh the exclusive probio of men.
Speaker 2: Any orange juice is not just for breakfast anymore. Exactly, there are not just for the meno.
Speaker 1: My former supervisor is one of them. Yeah yeah, yeah, And it's like, I'm sorry you hate women, but yeah, fun, yeah, So what are is wet trans women? You know, again, I don't want to play your sports. I have never wanted to play your sports. You can all go fuck yourself, but some girls do and you know, and again, like that was the whole point to Leah Thomas, and we went so far beyond the facts with all of that, and then you've got institutions capitulating to this garbage, not to the science, not to the truth. Yeah, I mean penn amended their policy and fuck them, you know, based on historical jackasses like Riley Gaines, you know, like, ugh, just do We're going to take another break and then we'll be right back. Okay, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: It's time, yay for our favorite segment. Well, good news can be my favorite segment, but this one's still delicious. It's never going to stop being so no no, and chickens are roosting like nobody's business. It's time for people taking pleasure real main yay.
Speaker 2: So morale is plummeting among ice agents over long hours, quotas, and public hatred.
Speaker 1: According to a new report.
Speaker 2: You don't get to be a sad nazi.
Speaker 1: Know what else? I heard? A lot of them were promised to fifty thousand dollars bonus.
Speaker 2: Oh you the signing bonus.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, they didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Or they're not getting all of it, or they're still waiting for it. Imagine that working for Donald Trump and not getting I.
Speaker 2: Was disco racing. Are you trying to tell me that Donald Trump renigged on a financial a financial agreement that he said he would honor. Many have grown disillusioned with leadership's tactics. Boys, that's so sad.
Speaker 1: The morales plummeting among federal law enforcement officers tasked was carrying out the Trump administration's aggressive anti immigration operation, as they complained that long hour's ambitious arrest quotas and hatred from the public. Oh he let them out of jail. These are the insurrectionists, you know, like they're a chunk of this. The people that think this way, these morons, these these fucking bullies. All yeah, you thought we were going to celebrate you for this ugly shit. Really, you don't get to by delusional.
Speaker 2: You don't get to be this the sad Gestapo.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. I know. While they said that they supported the administration's goals, many of them have grown disillusioned with the tactics being implemented by leadership. Mm hmm. More than twenty current and former immigration officials told The New York Times of their discontent in the hours following the fatal shooting of Alex Pretty It was the second deadly shooting of a US citizen carried out by a federal agent in you know what two three weeks time. Yeah. Yeah. A former immigration officer and special agent told The Times, you're not addressing the problem by throwing a five hundred pound gorilla into these inner cities. They're causing chaos, and unfortunately it's costing lives. Yeah, that's all they're doing. Uh huh uh huh. It's completely unfair to the agents, oh Asia, who have been put in this position. There's only so much they can handle before bad things start to happen. So they're untrained, right, There's.
Speaker 2: Only so much they can handle in the situation that they create before bad things start to happen as a result of their own actions. Yeah, what's a sad circle jerk? Called a sad circle jerk?
Speaker 1: I don't know what? What do we call that?
Speaker 2: The old tug and saw?
Speaker 1: I don't know, sab I was thinking a will to daisy chain?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, okay, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that all there?
Speaker 2: Fuck them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Border Patrol agents have been assisting Ice with raids and deployed to support amid the protests. What's it, Greg? Great? Bevino, who will get to previously described the age and these tactics of arresting individuals rapidly before protesters can move in as turn and burn. He ever, saw operations in Chicago where agents deployed tear gas in neighborhoods and hit protesters with pepper balls. These tactics were far outside standard practices and law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, for reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, morale is in the dumpster. H huh where the rest of them below? It's almost like it's not fun to be announcing. It's almost like, what did you did you really think people were going to be happy with the work you're doing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Did you really like you really saw it? Everybody was going to call you a hero? See? This is I guess the problem with echo chambers, you know, I guess if the people left willing to even speak with you because of your ridiculous part politics are few and far between. You think everyone's going to praise you because many of you belong in jail. It's just because your criminal in chief decided to stop calling you criminals. It's like disgusting.
Speaker 2: Really, I spent thirteen years in Catholic school, and you know, I was a goth for a while, so you know, I read a lot of you know, Catholic themed literature and artwork, and I will say I've never come across a depiction of Satan's minions when they were smiling.
Speaker 1: So it just you know, senior Trump officials were quick to blame the victim pretty for the violence, painting him as an individual who wanted to do maximum damage and massacre law enforcement before an investigation had even taken place, and Christy known that waste Off faced many costs to resign after she claimed that he brandished a weapon before an officer fired defensive shots straightforward. Yeah there's a video. I mean, yeah, yeah, it's a disgusting job. You know, it really is. And I'm sorry, but you know, when you are terrorizing American citizens, I think you need to rethink your life. Is that really what you got into this for? Is it because you know you will have to answer for this shit?
Speaker 2: Probably right? And if you're not even getting the thirty pieces of silver you were promised, then you're selling your soul for nothing.
Speaker 1: I know, imagine that morale is what did you fucking expect? What did you think? What happened?
Speaker 2: My kids won't hug me, my wife won't fuck me. My dog shot on my shoe, My pillow ain't soft.
Speaker 1: No mom, All right? I mean kids are outing their parents m as ice agents. I love it on social media, yeah, I mean, wouldn't that make you think? Apparently not? You know, once you're gone, you're just gone. I guess what did We just saw a former friend who has lost his ever loving mind posting, you know, celebrating.
Speaker 2: His daughter happened to post.
Speaker 1: And daughter shared it and said, you know, be sure to pick it the you know, protest against the radio stations.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, that's how you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, and I thought, poor her, you know, because that was a lovely family. I mean, they are the kids still are the kids have not lost their minds exactly. Yeah, she their mother has not lost her mind, but boy is he. And so you know, as I sit here asking these rhetorical questions, I know, I guess, I don't know. I don't know, but they're sad and I think they should be.
Speaker 5: So m hm.
Speaker 1: That's why I put it here. So it's just fun. And I loved the headline because we know, what is it? Gregory Bovino, the jackass who was in charge until two people were murdered and he got pulled out, and Tom what's his face is now running things anyway. The headline in the Daily Beast reads, border goonicked out of Las Vegas bar to maintain safety. Uh huh. Yeah, he's developing a habit of getting kicked out of places where he's worn out. He's welcome. Just days after Gregory Bavino, the CBP's a Commander at Large, was pulled out of Minnesota by MP after overseeing a violent street immigration sweep that last month led to the fatal shootings of two Americans. He was kicked out of a Las Vegas bar to keep its patrons safe. The bar is called the Bottle Blonde in Vegas, and they told The Daily Beast that staff asked him to leave the sports bar where he had been photographed drinking red wine with some young boys, a group of male accolytes is what it says, and they escorted him off the premise to protect those inside. Yep, I love that.
Speaker 2: We don't cater to your kind here.
Speaker 1: I exactly, exactly. Yeah, he's been stripped of his role in Minneapolis, and I guess he thought he was going to go have a good time in Vegas, but they went get out. Bottle Blonde does not engage in political activity or affiliations. As a private business, Bottle Blonde reserves the right to refuse service to any patron at its discretion, the Venue said in a statement. Upon becoming aware of the individual's presence, the patron was asked to leave the premises and was escorted out by staff in accordance with venue policy to maintain a safe and orderly environment for all patrons.
Speaker 2: After a full week of stripping people from their homes and breaking up families and murdering innocent civilians, you just want to kick your feet up and have a good time, And they said no, not here.
Speaker 1: The White House sent him back to his old El Centro sector in California and cut him off from his beloved official government X account sending in borders are Tom Homan and his place to restore calm to the city, is what it says. And then he was filmed laughing with a group of younger men.
Speaker 2: If you have that job and you have the capacity for laughter, I.
Speaker 1: Think this is hilarious. I hope that keeps happening.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Every time he's like you know, I do. I hope it keeps happening. Booze and yeah, it's so richly deserved. Y'all are the ones who argued for being able to, you know, deny service. That's your thing, remember, yeah, with them cakes and all, y'all did that. Y'all said, y'alled for this. How does it taste a little better? Good? Good? So that was fun. Yeah, that was really fun. I did enjoy that. Actually, uh huh, there's so much here. Yeah. The Kennedy Center artistic director Kevin Couch quit less than two weeks after his hiring was announced, and right after that we were told the Kennedy Center will close for two years for renovations in July because no anyone.
Speaker 2: There, right, because you know, when you have a bustling and booming arts venue and organization, you can just close for two years for renovations.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's not a problem. Just the whole thing just well, you know, well it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, never happens. That's not a thing. It's funny. It's it's funny because nobody, yeah, everyone has pulled out.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to fucking come to your fucking Nazi dance party.
Speaker 1: He announced that days after the premiere of Millennia Too, the documentary that was they showed at the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 2: That two's of sixes of people came to have seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this one was also fun. Target has dropped off Fortunes Most Admired Companies last after twenty four years as an all star. Wow, because you refuse to just do the right things from the this this journal. Yeah, they were on that list for Fortune's Most Admired Companies. Target was on that list for twenty four years, not this year. They have fallen off the list for the first time since two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Good job, black.
Speaker 1: People, right.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, they ain't much else to say.
Speaker 1: Now they were on that list and now they're not, and we know why and hahuh hah. Indeed, let's see, speaking of Malany in the documentary, it's officially on course for box office armageddon. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love how they tried to say that it was standing room only in theaters.
Speaker 1: Was that a theater without seats?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, so there's no such thing as standing room only because it's not a concert venue. Each ticket corresponds with a seat, and once there are no more seats, they stop selling tickets. Yeah, so that's a lie.
Speaker 1: And also unless they just kept selling tickets and people were standing in the back as they had to see it at that part to you.
Speaker 2: Or they count the people that were leaving. Maybe that's what it actually was.
Speaker 1: Maybe, And you know who's buying the tickets. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because your mama hit click twenty five times doesn't.
Speaker 1: Mean exactly we don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's see as many times as I've signed up for a block of seats at Trump rallies just for the intention of nobody being in those seats. You can't tell me.
Speaker 1: It's expected to It was expected to bring in roughly five million during its opening weekend. The figure pails in comparison to others opening Send Help, which we will talk about, which we went to see, was projected to rake in fourteen to seventeen million, with an additional ten to twelve million internationally for opening weekend. Where's it even?
Speaker 2: Where's it even playing?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Amazon of course financed the movie Millennia, which costs about forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: And this is what I'm saying, you make and they're boasting five million, ten million.
Speaker 1: I know this is it's so funny. It's it's just funny. It's a flop. Boo boom. Yeah, no one cares, like, yeah, who cares?
Speaker 2: I don't really care, do you.
Speaker 1: Right? Exactly? I don't really care. I love that. I remember that, jacka.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Some showtimes and conservative strongholds appear to be filling up, but ticket sales elsewhere tell a different story. Entire rows were untouched, with no seats sold for the seven pm showing as a wedessafe of opening day. So yeah, that's how I would think it did perform. It opened in more than fifteen hundred theaters. Screenshots of sparsely populated seating charts have already begun circulating online. Yeah, it was. It's been a joke basically.
Speaker 2: I hope it gets a razzie as it.
Speaker 1: Should have been a joke. It's a joke. Yeah, So there's that.
Speaker 2: Rumors are that at screenings of Milania, it was really just becoming, because remember how she was supposed to please your I.
Speaker 1: Had actually shown it was really just becoming. She was just showing that movie.
Speaker 2: I mean the tears when she talked about, you know, coming from being a black woman on the South side of Chicago. Just I couldn't. It was so touching to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, oh my god, this.
Speaker 2: Is not real life.
Speaker 1: One more item.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the Detroit poet laureate Jessica care More took it upon herself to to put pen to paper in honor of Nicki Minaj's appearance with Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Uh huh it was.
Speaker 2: Nicki Minaj appeared at an event where Trump was unveiling his his gold card, his his fast tracking to citizenship, where if you spend a million dollars to give you a gold card and you have immediate citizenship.
Speaker 1: How disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, selling citizenship that part. And she was their front and center with her badly cared for edges on display, being his token negress and talking about how much she loves him and she's going to stand up for him, and you know, just setting us back thirty eight years. Anyway, Jessica Carmore wrote a poem and it goes a little something like this, on a stage, holding this dictator's hand and smiling when nothing is funny about whatever you sacrificed, gave up, swallowed your dignity, evaporating with every forced smile. What a waste of good weave and acrylic nails. What a disgrace to women MC's everywhere, What a wild, distorted fraud of a scene. Millions of mics at half mass mourning the law of the heart that beat the core, that makes black art the voice of the people for the people, not a black barbie standing with a saggy nut pedophile can at her side. We are the prize, not capitalism side, chick. Our backs already built this country's economy. Go write a rhyme about how you turn the devil down. Write poems that show our girls our true wealth. Go read Nicki Giovanni or Nicki Finny. I promise you will find yourself worth inside their pages. NICKI, don't you know we are worth more than what they could ever afford to pay any of us. Who oh my, I ain't nothing else to be said. Nicki Minaj has sold every bit of goodwill, of authenticity, of credibility, of honor, of self worth that she has managed to accrue through her career. Like her her allegiance to the LGBTQ community that built her career has just washed away. So I hope it was worth it. I hope it was worth it because now what you got, And and come to find out that that gold card she got was a souvenir. It wasn't an actual authentic card it No, it was basically just you know, thanks for coming in for your donation. Here you can like display this in your home run.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go, so imagine. Yeah, this has been your moment of employ people taking pleasure. Name, do you have a fifteen minute fave? By any chance I do? Would you like to share that and take us out to a break with it?
Speaker 2: I would?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I was just going through my social media's and I came across this video of this song. It's a little jazz tune by this artist who I was heretofore unfamiliar with. He goes by the name of Spilata and this little jazz tune is called the Countiest. Okay, when I tell you, I have never put a song on the fifteen minute phase playlist. Before I was finished listening to the damn thing. Oh my, now here's the thing. It was on streaming. It was on Apple Music and Spotify and all that, and then it was gone.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 2: Available on YouTube. So we're gonna make sure we link to YouTube, because y'all need to be aware of Spilata the Countiest. It is a joy, it is a journey. It is queerness and blackness at its finest.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, all right, then let's go out to the break with that. Yes, the Countiest will be right to this.
Speaker 5: Slay you in this song just for fun. To this, I'm the Countiest. Somethink that they're a star. Well, I'm the sun to this. And if you didn't know, you better ask your sist, because when it comes to this, darling, I never miss. I'm the countiest, the stuntiest, the one to this, the sum to this.
Speaker 2: That's why they run to this.
Speaker 5: I'm the Countiest, the fraying to your Sinatra in a seasoned dish to make your reminisce on times infused with bliss nostalgia with a twist, while giving futurists. I'm the Countiest, the only prima donna. I'm upfront with this, the business and the show. I'm the sum to this, So watch me while I blow and make you come to this. I'm the countiest, the stuntiest, the one to this, the some to this.
Speaker 2: So glad you come to this. I'm the counties.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: So we had the benefit of video with that particular fave. So maybe you'll post the video. Oh that okay, Oh that was that was? Yeah, that isn't that happened?
Speaker 2: That's an anthem. Okay, a movement, a moment.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, it's time, oh God for the cavalcade of nonsense. And there's so much.
Speaker 2: Let's go quickly, shall we?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's try. You want to get started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Minnesota State Rep Elan o'mar, this is at the end of January, was attacked some fool basically like lunched adder and sprayed her with a liquid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've heard subsequently that they thought it was like apple cider vinegar or something.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what I believe it ended up being, which I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Any any liquid the whole thing not okay, well correct, not okay. Well.
Speaker 2: I saw the video when it happened, and I was immediately afraid it was like some kind of like biological thing. And because you saw I posted everything. I just want to know what he sprayed her with. The best part of the whole thing is, you know, besides the fact that I believe she is since been cleared and okay, she immediately went into like I'm a bust Joe ass stance, like they not only had to protect her from him, but him from her. But what the fuck is going on that folks are just attacking people in this manner and apparently the attack was fueled by all of the racist, xenophobic, islamophobic rhetoric. Like the first two words in the headline were stochastic terrorism, which, as we have learned on this show, is an act of violence, which is the direct result of continued and persistent hateful rhetoric and calls for violence.
Speaker 1: So good god, there you go.
Speaker 2: This is what's happening, and it's a direct result of the ass hat in the White House.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. This next story comes from Florida. Yeah, it's chocking, right. Republicans want to jail pharmacists now, as two new bills targeting gender affirming care advance. Yeah. Yeah. One lawmaker said the tougher legislation is needed to fight doctors who are quote committing fraud in Florida, Representative Lauren Mellow, who is insane obviously, right, yeah, said that. So basically, the bills advanced out a committee late in January and They would give the state attorney general more power to investigate and press felony charges against healthcare professionals who provide gender affirm and care in the state, including against therapists who discuss gender issues with minor patients and pharmacists who fill prescriptions that may be used as gender affirming care. Yeah. This is the Criminal Justice Subcommittee in the Florida legislature. This advanced on a twelve to five vote, and it would allow the state attorney general to sue healthcare practitioners for up to one hundred thousand dollars per violation for providing gender affirming care to minors. Life saving care. Yeah, mainstream medical organizations support gender affirm and care of course for trans kids because it has been shown to be life saving and saved, which we know, we know, we know, we know, we know. But facts. You know, when you when you have a bunch of pedophiles who are trying to like throw throw you off their scent, this is what you get, yep, this is what you get out of the Republican Party. As we're learning more and more of them, because I don't think a week goes by, know and as off in Florida, where some puffy white dude you know it is again arrests. A Republican politician is once again arrested for child porn, for trying to meet up with children at hotel you name it, you name it. But they have the audacity to continue to target us, even though rank and file Republicans are saying, not get off already. Right, Yeah, it's just mind blowing. Truly. Supporters of this new bill say that they are necessary to further crack down on gender affirm and care in the state for biblical reasons. What the actual fuck does the Bible have to do with public policy? This is or medicine or medicine scary on so many levels. We have to uphold the principles and standards that made this country great, Biblical constitutional law and order at all costs, and sometimes that stings, said Representative Taylor Yourkowski at the hearing. Taylor may have been arrested by now this was late January, so God only knows how many kids that one's diddled, Who knows, you know, But yeah, keep bringing the Bible into public policy.
Speaker 2: Why not they measured things in cubits in the Bible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course Lauren Mellow, who I said, you know, is insane. Stressed pharmacists would be punished under her bill, something she says is necessary because healthcare professionals are committing fraud by prescribing gender firming care medications but recording the purpose of the medications as something other than gender affirming care. Huh. Democrats, of course, stress that the bill could have unintentional side effects. It really is, you know, first of all, as a power graph for the Attorney General to expand his power. That's one aspect of this, giving one individual, maybe his success or authority that they don't deserve and cannot manage. Yeah, state representatives and apparently this is referencing Hope, Florida, which is a scandal where state representatives are accused of laundering money and committing fraud. Of course, right, they've proven they cannot be trusted yet, no kidding. Doctors might be scared from prescribing hormone and medications to people with severe menstrual problems and symptoms, less to pharmacists misinterpret the reason for the prescription. You're going to see doctors not wanting to prescribe these kinds of medications. Yeah, it'll, you know, it will be fucking with CIS people, but women, so they why would they care? And it's you know, queer and trans people are already leaving Florida and grows. Not the white gays because they're they're fine, you know, they're fine. But trans people are leaving Florida at a clip. Parents with trans children, of course, have been leaving Florida at a clip. Any decent, respectable, you know, organization that's having any kind of conference last I heard avoiding Florida because it's terrible. So, yeah, this is all in the name of what again, Yeah, hate.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, whatever else they call it, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's going to be very difficult for doctors to even talk to trans patients if this is if there's retribution for having a conversation, how sick and twisted is this they want? Instead, that's what they want. Well, yeah, that's what they want. Yeah, So that that's solidly under nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: You know, so this was cute. You know, this happened this week with this Republican congress woman flipping out and saying, do not call me sis gender Okay, sis exactly, sis c I s yes, she called the word made up? Aren't all words made up? First of all, that's what I thought. Yeah, this is a US rep. Harriet hag haggy Man. Oh, haggy Man, I'm he ironic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's how you say it, but that's how we're saying.
Speaker 1: It from Wyoming. If she admitted she believes sis gender is a quote made up word that seeks to destroy civil order, what I thought that was Republican cis gender is made up board that means nothing, haggy Man said, not realizing that all words are literally made up by people to describe the world around them. Do not call me cis gender. I am a woman. The cis gender legislature legislator added, Yes, I love queer news, I really do. She said, the word epitomizes the left's ongoing effort to rewrite the English language in order to change the debate because there isn't a and destroy civil order. Yeah, what the fuck do Republicans really know about order?
Speaker 2: First of all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they don't govern. They worry about shit like this. This is that, you know, govern come up with some way to fucking govern.
Speaker 2: And this whole one, this whole furre over the word cis gender, I know, because it is such peak white bullshit in that it didn't it didn't exist until they started hearing about it.
Speaker 1: Well, not entirely though, you got hoteps and shit out there. Oh, I know, are also not happy with the terms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because white nonsense doesn't trickle down to non white people. That's not a thing that ever. Of course it does, of course, But my point is that's the whole thing. They act like it's a word that just showed up twenty minutes ago, because that's when they started hearing about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just for the record, the term cis gender was popularized in the nineteen nineties, and the Oxford English Dictionary added the word in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, And I keep having this fucking argument with people that I actually know, and I keep trying to let them know that they don't sound as smart as I thought them to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, they, you know, people like Haggy Man and Elon Musk insist cis gender is a slur, right, meant to attack non trans people because they attack us all the time with the fact that we're transgender. So it and all it means is you're not transgender, right, sweetie?
Speaker 2: I actually had someone that I know.
Speaker 1: But where the snowflake who I.
Speaker 2: Thought was a thinking human being say, well, it is a slur If I don't want to be called that and you call me that, No, it's not like, what the fuck does what you want have to do with? No, it's the definition of a goddamn word.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly exactly. Yeah, that's like saying, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't like the word the so therefore the is a slur.
Speaker 1: That's that's I don't want to call you live in New Jersey. That's the word. Move like, for fox sake, find a word you like better. But what the hell?
Speaker 2: Because I've said many times cis gender is not a slur. It doesn't matter how you feel about it. It doesn't matter what you actually think. The word is what it is.
Speaker 1: But you think we think the same way you do, right, And the way that you spew the word trans and transgender and transsexual, you spew those words as slurs, so you assume, right, we use this word.
Speaker 2: That's also what I always say. It's that you, with sitting firmly in your cis gender privilege, are not used to being labeled, but you you you only use labels when you're using them to bully others or denigrate others. So you assume that all labels are used to bully and denigrade, So when a label is applied to you, then you automatically take offense because you God.
Speaker 1: Bless all the CIS genders. Now that we know who self refer all, God damn it, and of course haggy Man, and then we will move on. Claimed that gold medalist cist gender boxer is it Amani Khalif. Yes Uh is a transgender woman who beat the hell out of women during the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics. Khalif, like representative haggy Man, it's a cisgender woman, can't even get their facts straight. But god damn you know they love to beat. This is what bell Yeah, you're repeating a lie over and over and over again. It will never make it the truth.
Speaker 2: This is what prompted my social media posts the other day. I am so sick and fucking tired of arrogant stupidity.
Speaker 1: I know, right, And that's the thing. They're so certain, right, and they're so loud, and they're so fucking wrong. Oh my god, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it.
Speaker 2: Remember when stupid people didn't participate in conversations they weren't equipped to be a part of and they just sat back. Remember that I missed those.
Speaker 1: Days, I do. I damn it. This happened in New York City. This we're going back to January tenth. The articles not quite that old, but there was a man who suffered an anti LGBTQ subway attack after kissing his trans partner. According to police, a man was kissing his transgender partner aboard a six train earlier in January when he was attacked by another passenger, who yelled a homophobic slur and struck him with a sharp object. According to police, the sudden attack, which unfolded just before eight pm on January tenth, led to a verbal dispute that ultimately took a dangerous turn when the unknown assailant allegedly attacked the twenty eight year old victim on the right side of his face, causing a laceration. No indication the trans woman suffered any physical injuries. It took place as the six train pulled into the twenty third Street station on a Saturday evening, and the suspect fled the train at that station. Of course, they fled like the little bitch that he is, like the little bitch that you are. None of them can stand by their convictions, Phie, I got to run a nut anyway. The victim was transported to Bellevue Hospital, and the alleged attacker, of course, fled the scene. Police have yet to identify or find the suspect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to put this here because when I came across this article, it hit home for me for obvious reasons. And you know, I'm as a queer person. You know, I have been on my guard in public for thirty plus years now, just being myself, either by myself or with friends or with a partner. And you know, I am married to a fabulous a transgender woman. I have to agree who I am wont to be affectionate with publicly, and I mean luckily, like I don't really fear in that way here where we live, right, But it's just crazy that we're still dealing with this bullshit.
Speaker 1: You know, I still remember my son kind of pointing out our size as in some ways protective and I had never thought of that, right, I really had never thought of that. But it was like, you too can block the sun when you're walking side by side, So somebody would be really stupid to try to fuck with you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I agree, I mean I think people be stupid to fuck with us like size bed anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've taught that lesson more than once. But anyway, but yeah, I mean, I I had never thought of it that way because I mean I was bullied all through school. I was often taller and bigger. They knew I wasn't gonna fight back, right, that was the point. So that didn't you know, I think it made it that much more fun because of my size. So I never really look at life that way. But I did realize that, and that was you know, early on in bar ownership, and I realized I could use that to my advantage sometimes. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I similar background for myself. I was bullied a lot as a kid all up and through high school, and I never fought back. And it wasn't until like my adult life, my full flood's adult life, where when I'm put in a situation where physical violence is a thing, not only do I fight back. I realized I can be a lot more brutal than I thought I could be. And there have been times like, I remember the moment I'm thinking of as we were in the car and I'm sitting passenger side, You're driving, and apparently I made a noise and you said what And I was like nothing because I just randomly was thinking, like.
Speaker 1: What would I do?
Speaker 2: Is somebody trying to fuck with my woman? And it got real fucking dark. It got real. It was like and then I break it this way and then I've bending around like that because I'm beating them with their own leg Like, it got dark, so I had to stand. So I was like, I scared myself, which is why I made the noise. So I think about things like that and in the world we live in and just don't fucking start none. Won't fucking be none?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, but you know this guy was just being affectionate, right, and yeah, some people can't if you're the stand.
Speaker 2: Threatened by love, love and affection right right, look inward?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know if it if seeing queer and trans people has an effect on you, maybe you need to I don't know exactly examine that. I you know, I put this next story in because we have a new strategy. Right, we know that democratic electeds tend to oppose like transports bands more than Democratic voters do. Because there's too many Democratic voters and some Democratic positions have been infected by this constant barrage of lies and misinformation. Maybe there's something to the right. So the electives who have done the research and who we have worked hard to educate, of course, you know, tend to be more against it. So the new tact is anti transactivists are turning in signatures in Maine for a sports fan and what this will do is put it on the ballot. That's what they want. Organizers from the anti trans group protect girls' sports as if they they still don't give a shit about girls sports. As we know they do want to check their vaginas though they're anxious to do that. That's because they are children's genital fetistists.
Speaker 2: If it weren't for girls in shorts, they wouldn't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Truly anyway, protect girls' sports says. They turned in over eighty two thousand sign to the state Secretary of State's office to put a trans sports ban on the November ballot this year. Now, if something's unconstitutional, can you put it on the ballot? I don't know. Uh, Their ballot. I think you kind of can because member properly. Their ballot initiative would require the entities that govern interscholastic sports to designate all teams as male, female, or co ed, and allow only students assigned female at birth to participate in girls sports. The ballot initiative would also require restrooms, locker rooms, and showers to be separated by sex assigned at birth. Fucking build, you know, build bigger walls to the stalls. These people are so fucking good.
Speaker 2: God still no mention of the state trans boys though, huh No never.
Speaker 1: The state is now reviewing the signatures that they turned in to see if at least sixty seven, six hundred and eighty two of them are valid. That is the minimum number of signatures from main voters required to qualify an issue for the ballot. Quote it's necessary to put on the ballot because sex based discrimination is happening right now. Leland Strife of Protect Girls Sports told The Bangor Daily News they often frame trans rights as an attack on women's rights, not that there's any correlation. There needs to be a solution for this right now. It is being solved on a district by district level. And it shouldn't be It should be solved on the state level. Uh huh. This is the second state where anti transactivists have attempted to get a sports ban on the November ballot. In January, the group Let's Go Washington said that it turned in more than enough signatures to put a sports ban on the ballot in that state. The Washington ballot initiative will also include authorization for genital examinations for girls who want to participate in sports in school sports. Now, if parents are going to vote for this and pass it, God help us all, God help us all.
Speaker 2: So you know what that means. That means. That means that someone said the words out loud, genital inspections, and it came out of the mouth and traveled through the air and went into ears, and the ears said, yes, that's what we need to do. And then they wrote that down on paper, and then that paper was passed to other people who read it and they saw the words genital inspection and they went yes and moved it forward.
Speaker 1: Anti trans organizers I are turning to ballot initiatives, likely because every state that will pass a transports ban through its legislature already has and Democratic elected officials tend to be more opposed to transports bans than Democratic voters. So a March twenty twenty five survey found that sixty four percent of Main voters don't think transgender student athletes meaning trans girls, let's not twist this should be allowed to participate in school sports, and that sixty four percent would have to include a large number, and that sixty four percent would have to include a large number of Democratic voters in the state of Maine.
Speaker 2: And all of this is a much larger number than the actual number of trans kids who are trying to fucking play sports in excess guide there is just a mob.
Speaker 1: A recent national survey found that a plurality of Kamala Harris voters actually support transsports bands. I guess you know information if you repeated enough, you know, if it does become infectious. Yeah. A few Democratic elected officials have publicly supported such measures, thank god. At least eight bills were introduced in the main legislature last year to curtail trans rights, including a sportsman, and Democrats defeated them all because it's not governing, it's not good policy, and it's nothing but bigotry. Right on its face. There is no evidence to back any of this up. That is what is so galling is that this isn't the ship that they're doing this for. Is like a solution looking for a problem. The problem does not exist, right, a problem. Right. Not only are trans girls not you know, dominating every sport, They're not being trands so that they can somehow assault little CIS girls in the locker room. That's not happening, right. You're afraid of CIS boys, actually, is what you're afraid of. The Principles Association said it follows state law which bans discrimination on the basis of gender identity, and pointed out that there are very few trans girls participating in school sports in thus state. Correct This jackass stressed he does not want the legislature to solve this on our behalf, likely because the main legislature has a democratic majority, you know, and of course anyone with a conscience or any decent human is criticizing the ballid initiative, pointing out that Protect Girls' Sports has received nearly a million dollars from Republican megadonnor Richard Yuleen and that the initiative would increase bullying and harassment and cost local schools millions of dollars for construction and litigation. These out of state billionaires pay for the campaign, but main people pay for the fallout. Yeah yeah. And of course last year, the Main governor, Janet Mills, had a high profile battle with this administration over trans student athletes. The president told us that she better banned trans kids from participating in school sports, and she replied, see you in court, and Main eventually won the court battle that followed when the US Department of Agriculture attempted to freeze three million dollars in funding. They're bullies, Yeah, they're bullies, and nobody looks at transgender porn like Republican men.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about recently, Kid Marrow diesuz A Marrow was the one Rolling Stone podcast or interview or whatever talking about Riley Gaines, and he was like, we need to like he was basically speaking to Raley gains He's like, we need to be real here. You're not mad at the presence of a train. He said. The issue is not a transgender swimmer. The issue is you suck your ass. So stop focusing on bullshit, Stop focusing on things that aren't a problem. But being concentrate on not being asked, she would.
Speaker 1: Have absolutely no relevance in this world. You would not know her name in any way, shape or form had she not capitalized on having, you know, swam with Leah Thomas. That's it. That is it. She tied for fifth place, and I guess wanted to be fifth place all on her own. Whatever the fuck. Yeah, but otherwise you would never have heard from this person. But Republicans are so goddamned frothing at the mouth about our very existence that they will pay and promote people like Riley Gaines. They absolutely will to further this ridiculous, bigoted, nasty based US agenda of theirs, because if you know, if you look at the trans people, if you look at them, you're not looking at what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Biggots do love a participation trophy like the Confederate flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sure do so. Yeah, that is the new strategy is to try to get is ballad initiatives, hoping that we can't touch the hearts and minds of citizens. Right, but you know, we also know how to fight a ballat initiative. Ask Anita Bryant. We know how to fight ballad initiatives too. Yes, we know how to turn hearts and minds toward the truth of the matter. But Jesus Christ, how ridiculous, how utterly, and what a waste of time. We've solved every other problem in the world. So apparently John lescal He slams JK. Rowling's transphobia and then defends playing Dumbledore, right, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Which is a testament to how talented John Liskow actually is because he can talk out of both sides of his face at the same fucking time, at the same exact time. Yeah, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I know, how about it.
Speaker 2: That's really all. That's all that I wanted to just say, Fuck John, lets go. It's a shame. I've been a fan forever in a day.
Speaker 1: So this is an upcoming HBO, upcoming Harry Potter television series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still making those shits and right.
Speaker 1: So, while he will speak out against JK. Rowling her rampant transphobia, he did defend his decision to take over as Hogwarts headmaster in this new adaptation, saying it made him uncomfortable and unhappy that people insisted he walk away from the job, but he chose not to Yeah. He spoke at the Rotterdam Film Festival, where he had a film premiering asked how he felt about Rowling's hateful rhetoric. I take the subject extremely seriously, just not seriously enough to lose money. Correct. She has created the amazing canon for young people and it has jumped and he can't need the money that anyway.
Speaker 2: I'm saying it.
Speaker 1: Has jumped into the consciousness of this society. It's about good versus evil, kindness versus cruelty. I find her views ironic and inexplicable. I've never met her, and she's not really involved in this production at all, but the people who are are remarkable.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, fuck them too.
Speaker 1: Basically, it upsets me when people are opposed to me having anything to do with this. But in the Potter canon you see no trace of transphobic sensitivity. She's written this mediation of kindness and acceptance. And Dumbledore is a beautiful role.
Speaker 2: Every non white character is a walking stay.
Speaker 1: I'm the oldest person in the entire room, just turned eighty, and yet I signed a contract I will be playing Dumbledore for the next eight years. I absolutely have to keep at it. I felt wow that means I will live to be eighty eight. I have that in writing. An audience member got up and left the room in protest while he was talking and could be heard saying things like these don't help, and the actor responded to the abrupt exit by saying, I'm perfectly ready for collisions of opinion. I understand it. Uh huh, yeah, you know. I have such enormous respect for the people who actually do need the money and turn it down anyway when they learn, you know, and there was nothing to learn. You know what Jaca does with that money exactly? Yeah, but whatever, and.
Speaker 2: John, let's go played a trans woman?
Speaker 1: I know, I guess what what do we say? At least he slammed or I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, did he that didn't like a slam that was barely a knock? Well, so someone who I was a huge fan of turns out to be a double speaking hypocrite.
Speaker 1: Well there's a lot of that. Yeah, yeah, there is, there is. Let's take one more break, yes, so that we can cleanse our palates with some pop culture. Yes, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We are back, We're back.
Speaker 1: Wow, what's happening in pop culture? I've been in front of the television. What's happening in otherwise it's been so fucking could.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, let's see, since we recorded last, the Grammys happened. Yes, and there were two takeaways from the Grammys that I personally care I did. We didn't watch the Grammys, we did not, But there were things that happened that I heard about and took to heart. First of all being Eve finally received a Grammy for her verse in the Roots song you Got Me after twenty seven years.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was.
Speaker 2: A Recording Academy Honors event and she was awarded a Grammy, presented by the Black Music Collective. Okay, And it's crazy because I only recently realized that that was her on that song.
Speaker 1: What was uncredited?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, And she wasn't like, she wasn't Eve yet. She was just like a fierce Philly woman MC who the Roots knew, right, just like Jill Scott wrote the hook to the song. And she wasn't known yet. She was just an up and coming, fabulous Philly performer. And so they were told by their label that they needed a name to be on the song if it was going to be a single. And that is why Erica Badou does the Hook and Erica has long since, you know, given Jill her props for writing writing it and the Roots come a live album Jill actually performed and it is amazing. So yeah, it's so cool that Eve finally received the recognition that she deserved.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know cool.
Speaker 2: And my one big takeaway from the main Grammys event was Duran Bernard won a Grammy for Best Progressive R and B Performance. Duran Bernard is he was a fifteen minute fave a little while ago. Actually, I first discovered him when he was primarily a backup singer for Erica Baidu. It was a video of him. She gave him a solo and he just went off. That man can sing his little queer ass face off. He is an amazing talent and like, just based on that one solo, I was like, oh my god, who is this person, Duran Bernard? Let me follow him, let me just know all I can because that voice. And he finally got a Grammy. He'd been nominated several times for a peering on people's music, but this was his first time winning of his own accord. And I want to read his acceptance speech because it is wonderful. First of all I love like. He comes trotting up from the back like a cartoon character, because he said he sat in the back of see anything he's gonna win. So he says, Happy Black History Month for the rest of my life. That's how we opened, did it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay?
Speaker 2: He said, listen, I want to remind everyone that we are all we got and we know who I'm referring to. So please give yourself some grace and extend your kindness to your neighbor who needs it, to all the independent artists out there, and to every butch queen who has ever made to feel like they were too much. I am the proof that you needed and the sign you've been waiting for, be yourself. And his mother and his father were up on stage with him. It was so cool.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's a small list of people who I feel like I discovered, which basically means I found out about them just a little bit before it became popular, and I predicted all these things for them, and they've come to fruition. First it was Dual Lipa, then it was Bob the Drag Queen, now Duran Bernard. It's like everything I see, I've seen for these people has come to fruition and I love it.
Speaker 1: Let it, let it, let it, love it. Okay, okay, what do we have next? Oh, Wendy and Lisa have revealed a new supergroup replacing the Revolution. Yes, oh, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be Lisa, Wendy and Annie Lennox.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's what I said.
Speaker 1: Oh my yeah, okay. Of course they worked with Prince right the harmonic backbone of the Revolution, Wendy and Lisa helped sculpt to the emotional architecture of Purple Rain, forever etching their names into pop history. But now, in a move that few saw coming, they're officially stepping out of the Purple shadow, and they're doing it by starting over with a collaborator just as iconic as their former band leader. How about that. I love it. That's going to be interesting. That's a powerhouse trio.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm excited. Apparently it all started because they were seated together at a Joni Mitchell concert.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 2: And they just started like talking and like hanging out, and it became a thing.
Speaker 1: Do you realize it's going to be ten years since we lost Prince this year? I know, And I'm still I know, damn time flies.
Speaker 2: But Wendy and Lisa, they they got props, but they never got the props that they actually deserve. Like. It wasn't until very very very recently after Prince died. I think it might have been when we saw the Revolution perform.
Speaker 1: Right, we did, and and they were great.
Speaker 2: They were fabulous. But one of the iconic guitar solos in uh, I want to say, Let's go crazy, it's either let's go crazy or Purple Rain. I always thought it was Prince.
Speaker 1: It was Wendy.
Speaker 2: Because they said at the beginning of the concert that they were all doing their own parts. There was no lead singer. The audience is going to be the lead singer.
Speaker 1: Well, right, they did have a singer album, they had they had guests, certain who certain of the prints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lyrics, yes, but for the most part, you know, is like sing along with the Revolution.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: And when what a great show it really was. And when she came out and hit that solo, I was like, oh my god, that was your part.
Speaker 1: How about that bitch?
Speaker 2: Which is a testament to how fabulous of a guitar player. If I thought it was Prince and it could have been.
Speaker 1: So amazing talent. So this is going to be something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to see because Annie Lennox has always been amazing except for when she sang strange Fruit on that one album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's while.
Speaker 2: While it's not a small misstep, that's the only misstep I can think of.
Speaker 1: Just say no, just say no, you know. Yeah, And do you remember David Underwood telling us that story. I do when he was playing a tavern on Kameack and someone asked for strange Fruit and wanted to sing along. It was a way, dude, and he said, absolutely, not right. I don't care if they fire me. I don't care what they do. I don't get no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not even no. Didn't want David to sing it, didn't want to sing with David. Wanted David to accompany his white ass while he sang strange.
Speaker 1: Fruit, and David said, that will not happen. No, it will not, and it didn't.
Speaker 2: I will step on your foot and walk away first.
Speaker 1: Other than that part, an amazing talent, and I don't think that they would let her sing it again when in Lisa, No, I don't think they would allow that. So I think I think moving forward were good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this one's for you.
Speaker 1: I know this one upset me. Dame Prue Leith is leaving The Great British Bake Off. I know she's been there for almost a decade as a judge. She is eighty six years old, so you know fair anything she wants to do at this point is more than fair.
Speaker 2: She replaced Dame Mary Berry.
Speaker 1: Right on the series in twenty seventeen, appearing alongside Paul Hollywood. So there was a shake up. At one time it was on BBC and then moved to Channel four, right, And apparently when it moved to Channel four, like the cast changed.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I guess I only was paying attention from that point four because it's always been proved for me.
Speaker 1: It's always been proved for me as well. Anyway, that's a shirt. She already had stepped down from the celebrity version of Bakoff in twenty twenty four, replaced there by Lady Caroline Waldegrave. Looks like sure, Allison Hammond and Noel Fieldling continue to be the presenters. I like Alan. I assume Paul Hollywood is not going anywhere she but I will miss her, Yeah, I really will miss her. What an interesting person and.
Speaker 2: So fabulous, just fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just fun and colorful and fabulous. And her critiques were not mean spirited.
Speaker 2: I mean none of them words.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, Paul Hollywood can get a little uh, you know, make you question your birth. But you know, she really never did. But she, you know, would kind of say, you know, that could be better, or I can't even taste that part, or you know, I'm sorry that's anyway. I like the way that she did it. She wasn't humanizing about any of it. And I love how she she can be funny. Oh tell you, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say, I love how she leans into the fact that she likes to drink a little.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an ongoing thing, is her.
Speaker 2: I made it extra boozy just for.
Speaker 1: You, for you. I added some extra just for Prue. Well, we will miss her. She's fabulous, right, but we will have reruns. Yeah, we'll always have those. Yeah. So let's talk about what we've watched so we You remember so much better than I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: We watched The Roses a while ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Roses was refreshed me.
Speaker 1: It was not the War of the Roses, but its similar.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the Roses is based on the book. It's a more direct adaptation of the book that War of the Roses was also right adapt and adaptation though it was, but it was more direct and Dervido took a little bit more creative license with his.
Speaker 1: Version and a dark, twisted ending, which this one didn't have.
Speaker 2: Differently, yeah, differently, okay, but this was a Benedett Cumberbatch. Yeah, and Olivia Coleman.
Speaker 1: That's right, Olivia Coleman played the wife.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was entertaining.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed War of the Roses.
Speaker 1: I love that movie, and I think it's so dark. Well that's why.
Speaker 2: You've never been divorced, fabulous director. Now I have.
Speaker 1: And it came out right around the time of my first divorce, as I recall, or I saw it around the time of my first warce.
Speaker 2: So it just didn't say, well, I was gonna say, so, your feelings are not necessarily the movie's fault.
Speaker 1: No, because I watched it much later, because I had actually I told someone that they needed to watch that movie, and I thought that they would find it instructive. I'll just leave it there, and they did, and so I thought, let me rewatch it, but.
Speaker 2: This version was actually more laugh out loud funny to me.
Speaker 1: It was funny. Yeah, parts of it were really funny.
Speaker 2: The performances were wonderful, the cast was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Love Is Strange, Yeah, that was the film with a John.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It was John Lithgow and Alfred Millina. They play an older gay couple and they have this wonderful life together in New York until af Millina loses.
Speaker 1: His job because they get married.
Speaker 2: Because they got married, right, and.
Speaker 1: So they're heavy and he taught in a Catholic school.
Speaker 2: Right, which is a story that we've seen before. Oh yeah we have, and they've had they had to like temporarily move in with their younger friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the high jinks.
Speaker 2: That ensued because of it.
Speaker 1: A good character study. I thought it was. It was a great movie, really sweet, It really was. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: John Lithgow being a two faced hypocrite has nothing to do with the fact that he's always been a talented act.
Speaker 1: That is true. There you go, like it was, yeah, and it was. It was a good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was When did that come out twenty four. I think, yeah, twenty fourteen of fourteen.
Speaker 1: It was that old. I didn't realize that. Okay, Okay, I don't know where we heard. I think it was something came up as you know, you might like in the suggestions or whatever, and I was like, how do we miss this one?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's older than I thought I was. But it was good.
Speaker 2: It was good. I recommend it, even though, you know, hypocrite.
Speaker 1: Anyway, someone told me I simply must see I saw the TV Glow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that had been on my to watch list since it came out, because it is twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: You know. I kept hearing all these trans people mention this movie, and I guess, if you squint, it's a trans allegory. I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: All I heard was that it was so fabulous. It was a horror movie and it had a positive trans representation. That was literally the only thing see it.
Speaker 1: I mean, eh, we hated it, yeah, because it's it. There's no one has ever stated to be trans. We can kind of infer.
Speaker 2: No one is stated to be anything, and no one said anything, and they spoke really slowly when they said nothing.
Speaker 1: It was odd. I did not. The only thing I remember thinking at the end was that time I'll never get back. And when you you know it once again, it's that if it's so cerebral, it goes over my head.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I'm saying. There is a difference between making a film that is an allegory and filming an allegory. Okay, because let's take for instance, the Matrix. The Matrix is a trans allegory. However, if you don't catch any of that, if you don't notice any of that, it is still.
Speaker 1: A movie in your opinion.
Speaker 2: Yes, in my and many many many other people's opinions.
Speaker 1: But for purposes of this conversation, it's just the two of us in the room, and you're not stating both opinions when you say that that's all.
Speaker 2: I but this was just like they just like I'm going to make a trans allegory and they forgot to make a movie.
Speaker 1: Kind of That's how I felt about that.
Speaker 2: That's what they did, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know, I saw where Okay, I guess the themes, you know, it's sort of what was happening, Like, yeah, I guess you can kind of sort of compare it to being trans I guess, I guess, sure, right, but that it touched me and spoke to me so deeply like nom and the acting was not superlative in my humble opinion, and that always takes me out of a story when I want to give them directions, I'm like, this is not finished, Like y'all are still rehearsing. I it did give that, Like there couldn't have been a script, y'all just all ad lived right, and then threw it together.
Speaker 2: And oh, there was a few times when I was like, who the fuck wrote this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happened more than once.
Speaker 2: Well, and here's the thing, like, at least the one lead actor, I know that he is a good actor because we've seen him in other things we have, so you know these were obvious choices. Yeah, but god damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's that thing that choreographers do that I hate when they have their core idea that the piece is about, and then they abstract the idea, and then they abstract the abstraction and then they put that on stage. Yep, that's what this felt like.
Speaker 1: And many people are left going feeling stupid because they didn't get it, and it's like, well, you couldn't have without a road map in a fucking flashlight. There was no getting that is often the case, right, because yeah, yeah, time and again, and that's just how I felt about this, Like, and.
Speaker 2: That's it the roadmap you need. You got to give me something to hold on to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really didn't hold. I kept waiting for it to go somewhere right, and it just.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So no disrespect to the people who love this movie and got something real and true and emotion a lot of it. But I thought it was some bullshit.
Speaker 1: I did too. Yeah, and I am trans I know, and because I went, well, I get you know, I guess what you know, squint and squeeze at that sure or it was this right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like again, if you don't give me a movie underneath your allegory, right.
Speaker 1: We have so much cinema now where trans people are actually trans and we don't have to like squint for it. I guess I've gotten tired having to squint for anything, Like, we don't need allegories anymore.
Speaker 2: God damn it.
Speaker 1: How about we just make a film because I still right, and you know, and it was built around their mutual love for this TV show. Ye, the characters and this whole thing about do you ever feel like that's real? And I'm like, okay, I kind of, I guess get it.
Speaker 2: I never want to hear the words pink opaque ever again.
Speaker 1: I know, pink opick was what the name of the shower? Yeah, yeah it was. I can relate, you know, to being raised by a television, but that's not exclusively a trans you know thing, right at all.
Speaker 2: It's a latchkey kid thing.
Speaker 1: It's a latch key kid thing. It's a bullied kid thing. It's a queer kid thing. It's a seventies, eighties, nineties to yeah. Yeah, yeah. So I wanted to like it.
Speaker 2: I did too. It was on my list from when it first came out. I took that shit off immediately after the credits rolled, because shit.
Speaker 1: You know, and again maybe because this often happens, like you know, what is and is not a Martha film? Yes? Pretty well?
Speaker 2: Now, some things by intuition, some things by learning the hard way.
Speaker 1: So you've got a pretty you know, and when you tell you just have to see it, you just you know, like, I don't want to give too much of a world. How the fuck did you give too much of that away because there isn't that much happening.
Speaker 2: Two kids mumble and watch television.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well there's the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah sorry spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I I I am sure because I have heard others say that they enjoyed it and they thought it was well done. I meant to talk to Elizabeth about this because I believe she saw it and had something positive to say, and I was just like, oh, I do not obviously Send Help.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we've so we got.
Speaker 1: We went to to movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got to have a little date night and actually go to the movies, which you and I don't do. Nears oftens, I.
Speaker 1: Would like, we don't, and I have a wonderful movie theater not far from here at all, exactly. I loved going to the reclining seats and all that when.
Speaker 2: You were doing your classes on Saturdays. That's when I used to take myself to the movies a lot and I got to see stuff. So I was missing that. So we actually got and we went on opening night, we went and saw.
Speaker 1: Send Help, Yes, with Rachel McAdams. Yes, I liked it a lot, and I was I.
Speaker 2: Knew I would like it. I wasn't sure how you would like it because it is a Sam Raimi film, and I from what I understood, it was to be like Sam Raimi at his Sam raimiist. And what I've liked is he has a certain I use the word formula, but I don't want that to sound like a negative. But there are certain elements that are in every Sam Reimi film, but they always work okay, like the fast like camera cuts, like the character looked to the left and then the camera looks at left and the character looks at right and the camera looks at right. Things like that. There's always a big gross out moment, uh huh, random jump scare.
Speaker 1: It was good, It was very It was good. Yeah, there was a twisty little movie. Yeah, it's got some nice interesting plot twists. And you know, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Kind of got bullied into wanting to see it because they kept showing the trailer on it.
Speaker 1: They did well right on. Peacock keeps having commercials and they kept like they bombard you with commercials.
Speaker 2: And you were like, I want to see that, and I was like, work, you.
Speaker 1: Get bombarded with these advertised and we kept getting bombarded with the advertisement for send Help, And I said, you know, I would like to go see that, and I was like, all, I bet yeah, And it was like the nine o'clock show and the theater was empty or nine thirty show, whatever it was. Yeah, the theater was damn near empty. The seven o'clock was full.
Speaker 2: Right, it was a fun little movie date night, even though it was like two degrees.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was this right after the big snow, right after enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it's was the Friday, the following Friday, that was it. Yeah, but we were still only driving your car today. You know. I just got my car out right, and I still had to drive it over mountains. It's very slowly melted, very slowly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What else where are we? Oh? Yeah, I've been I have been binging Chicago. I'm on Chicago Fire now, Yes I did, I did, I maybe way all the way through Chicago p D. And I'm up to date.
Speaker 2: Yes. So now when new episodes come out, you have to care again.
Speaker 1: I have to care again. But Chicago Fire came first, and then Chicago p D and then the last one in Chicago Met so I started with the PD one. Now I'm in Chicago Fire now I care, like you know, I'm in it season six and I'm not halfway through.
Speaker 2: Right, and you're realizing how many crossover episodes they were.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they do them frequently in that particular hemisphere of the dick Wolf universe.
Speaker 2: Yes. And then when they cross over with n y.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: Then it's like with like SPU and yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like goddamn more than once, more than once. Olivia Benson has come out to Chicago and Hank Void has coming over to New York and yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like two snakes eating their own tail. We're eating each other's tail. I don't know that is.
Speaker 1: Hmm. But yeah, because I wondered why uh a patha. Yeah, I had such a small role on Chicago p D. She's got a huge role in Chicago Med. Right, but she shows upright also right on Chicago p D.
Speaker 2: Like they spend all that money.
Speaker 1: Right now now, it's a bit, right, it's a big role. But then they all make side money because they're all in each other's business like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, once you once you get one dick Wolf check.
Speaker 1: Seriously, if that man likes you, you're set, I think, yeah, And if he doesn't like you, he'll kill him. Yep, that one does go on right, not wanna go fired, but it's entertaining as hell. It is learning more and more about the fire department.
Speaker 2: The Chicago series, they are definitely more of the emotional bent, like.
Speaker 1: Your character driven, more moments of you know, yes, more tier jerkie. We mentioned that that they in.
Speaker 2: The fact that your a big SAP helps I am. Yeah, I'm not saying I'm not that you're a bigger SAP than me.
Speaker 1: I am anyway, and and you know, God helped me. But a lot of the rituals just get me every time, you know. And and of course the firemen have it too, like when a firefighter dies and they all line up and they present arms and they do the salute, and oh my god, you become a weak lit every time. Yeah, nobody ever wrote a song called Fuck the Fire Department. I just want to point that out.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Don't want to watch the PD one. There's these other ones, you know that. You can watch the hospital one, you can watch the fire one.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if there was a song called Fuck the Fire Department. But it's a different context entirely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly, And it's not a song. It's a movie, right, I wanna let's start it as a calendar. Yes, I wish I could write I did notice that I don't. There's beautiful casts and beautiful guest stars, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeh, if you go by the show, there are no unattractive people in Chicago.
Speaker 1: That right, right, very few, very few, and yeah some of them are just like, wait a minute, right, wait a minute, you know, disturbingly attractive people.
Speaker 2: Like even the least attracted, like the least attractive people in the show are still.
Speaker 1: Like handsome, right right right, yeah, it's just like, dear god, but it's been fun, you know, because the weather's been cold exactly, and you know it's filled time. So I'm I've got lots and lots to go. Yes, what is this about? Becoming?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I just I put here a stream becoming again because Orange fuck Wit posted that horrible, racist ass video of the Obamas. Yep, and that's all I'm going to say about that. So my response to that is to tell everyone stream Becoming.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, exactly, very hopeful, wonderful film about Michelle Obama. Yes, yeah, so the Winter Olympics are they're happening, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Winter Olympics are happening. Apparently. The opening ceremony was very cool. Mariah Carey sang, and there's a lot of queer athletes who are kicking ass and taking names, but we haven't really watched them because you're stuck in Chicago and I'm busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah at work. Well right, and it's just like a I like the Olympics. I like sometimes like figure skating and ice dancing and things like that.
Speaker 2: I like to watch that, But they love to show curling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't care.
Speaker 2: Curling is not a sport. Curling is housework on.
Speaker 1: Ice, exactly exactly. I can watch myself vacuum mine, thank you, and that's no bad. It's just cold vacuuming. That's what it looks like.
Speaker 2: It's like you're sweeping after a room. But that's what that looks like.
Speaker 1: Right, Teaching it how to I don't know, do what stuff. It's weird yeah to my fan, yeah, but some of it it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love figure skating, I love ice dancing. I love speed skating. I love the speed jumping. I love snowboarding, bob sledding and the loge. Those are the things I like.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all okay, yeah, yeah, I'm just it's all sports ball to me. Yeah, most, but no, I mean figure skating if we knew when that was.
Speaker 2: I think of the luge and it makes me it reminds me of that I've seen it. It reminds me that Robin Williams bit like, that's like what crazy Austrian came up with it. It's like I'll stick in an ice skate up my ass and wear a skin tight onesie and go flying down the.
Speaker 1: Slough of it.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's like how do you steer? They'll do kekels ye well, and as far as I can tell, that's what that is basically.
Speaker 1: Basically. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't have a story. I'm not into it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the Olympics, but I only like the things that I like.
Speaker 1: So it's competition and it's just now that.
Speaker 2: The big thing is apparently some white boy did a backflip and everyone's losing their ship. It like that's the first time that any figure skater has ever done a backflip. Like Sarria Boni Ley didn't do it like thirty goddamn years ago, but she was black, so no one cares. Yeah, when she did it. It immediately became disqualified because whenever a black athlete does some shit that everybody else can't do, they disqualify the shit. So no fair, that was right, so fair that was the big thing.
Speaker 1: It's not fair. I'm worthless, right?
Speaker 2: And I saw the still shots and his back flip wasn't even as fierce as hers, and she landed on one fucking foot, so anywhow wow, wearing fierce blue eyeshadow.
Speaker 1: There you go, him or her she was, And then they.
Speaker 2: Gave her silver. I remember this, I watched this in real time. Yeah, she did that shit. And then they gave her silver, and they gave some bitch that she was better than the gold. And she stood there and she snatched her or her metal off her off her neck, and she just stood there while they booed her. And she was like what right? I loved that woman and they did her so dirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, shouldn't be surprised, not but yeah, yeah, speaking of sports ball.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the the thing that happens before and after the concert.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what's it called the It was the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was going to say that the dish that's great or something.
Speaker 1: This was Super Bowl sixty.
Speaker 2: Yees, super Bowl sixty. It was what was it the Falcons.
Speaker 1: And the Patriots don't? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe and the Falcons won?
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, I know that the New England Patriots didn't, right, which was really all I cared. I didn't really know what the other team was. Okay, well they.
Speaker 2: Won, yes, but bad Bunny was the halftime show.
Speaker 1: We did watch that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It was wonderful, and I you know, I knew it was going to be well done. A lot of storytelling, a lot of symbolism.
Speaker 2: That you could find, right, I love and like they're still talking about it, so like it starts off in like the sugar cane field, and then come to find out that each of the bushes that made up the sugar cane a person was a person in a costume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they walked out and I guess sat or dropped the costume in place.
Speaker 2: They just stood brought the whole field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible, And.
Speaker 2: Like that's fabulous for two things, one aesthetically and two practically because it's a lot easier for one hundred motherfuckers to just go out there and stand than for one hundred people to with a hundred bushes to go out there place exactly.
Speaker 1: I think that was brilliant, right, And the more we heard, you know, the more it was like, oh wow.
Speaker 2: And it was like all like just little bits of Puerto Rican culture, like all up and through, like the paragua stand, the nail salon, and the the dudes climbing the electric poles, which was like commentary on famous treatment of Puerto Rico places still don't have, right, Like, it was fierce, it was, and fucking Cardi B was just like sprinkled in amongst the dancers.
Speaker 1: And found that out later.
Speaker 2: And Ricky Martin.
Speaker 1: Was there, yeah, and Gaga Gaga performed, Yeah, it was it was good. I broke them, Oh it did. It broke them. They had to have their own little side show because they were so upsets.
Speaker 2: Side show indeed.
Speaker 1: About it being in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they had.
Speaker 1: That was part of why they were upset, right.
Speaker 2: And they had what they called an all American halftime.
Speaker 1: He's American, which is what was you know, they don't like to be called stupid.
Speaker 2: But yet but yet. And what cracked me up is apparently the headliner of that other the what was it, Clanchella.
Speaker 1: It's been called Yes, Clanchella, I like that so much better.
Speaker 2: He basically lip synced his way through his performance.
Speaker 1: I know. And then he got all upset when people said that he did.
Speaker 2: And he had the nerve to say, I didn't lip sync. My performance was pre recorded but performed live. That's what lip syncing is.
Speaker 1: You dip shit, right, that's slip syncing. Chirkol God, like, what do you think? Damn it? Talk about a distinction without a.
Speaker 2: Difference, right, and then like some other dude did some anti trans song, but it was a white boy with a guitar, so shocker.
Speaker 1: Wow, folks have lost their minds. Yeah, you know enough first of all to do that, right to do that?
Speaker 2: Someone said, you know, them having a separate halftime show is really no different than when they went in separate water fountains.
Speaker 1: M h.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, fine, the lone Yeah, But what takes me out is they had such a huge The fallout from the Bad Bunny Show is they're trying to investigate it, like there's an investigation. Congressman calls for investigation into Bad Bunny halftime show over widespreading Yes, yes, I heard that. It just cracks me up. Children were forced to endure explicit displays of gay sexual acts. Women gyrating provocatively bad bunny shamelessly grabbing his crotch while dry humping the air.
Speaker 1: Do you see how they can see pornography and everything, just everything. First of all, it's like, I guess that's you got to that's what you're looking for. I guess. So there was about gay sex that they think more about gay sex any of the gay people I know having gay sex.
Speaker 2: Thank you. There was a sequence where there was a bunch of women who were dancing and there was a little bit of toork action going on, but it was like, you know, the Latin culture is very hip centered. Sorry about it. I'm sorry that scares you, but you know when you come from a heritage where they had to put table claws on tables because motherfucker's getting turned on by the table legs. Anyway, there was a moment where there were two guys who were dancing together.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, and I mean a moment, yeah, moment, and what's wrong with them?
Speaker 2: And I'm hearing dancing exactly That's what I'm like, Oh honey, that wasn't sex. It's like, tell me, what did I say? Tell me? That you are like door closed, shades, drawn penis through the flap missionary without saying so right exactly.
Speaker 1: We knew you put the lights on with then Yeah, crazy, it's crazy. They did their stupid little show that I had tens of fives of people I think watched. H there was you know what was Originally they were saying about five million as compared to the one hundred and thirty five million or so that's all Bad Bunny something like that, which sounds right. Yeah, it was good, it was well done, it was well done, it was art. It's pathetic that you know they had to do this or wanted to do this at all, but you know, that's where we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And basically it was like Bad Bunny's halftime show was for Latin folks, as Kendrick's show last year was for black folks. Okay, And I'm like, yeah, that sounds right. The symbolism and spectacle. Yeah, one hundred and thirty five point four million viewers for Bad Bunny. I'm sure that number is bigger now because the people streaming.
Speaker 1: After the Oh this was a different number. Bad Bunny has ninety point five million Spotify listeners compared to Kid Rock's five point three million Spotify listeners.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they're trying to talk about how bad Bunny's lyrics are are profane, Like.
Speaker 1: First of all, you know who has profane lyrics?
Speaker 2: Kid Rock?
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who has a whole song about underage girls?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, it's a prerequisite.
Speaker 2: Yeahthing like that. They call it statutory. I call it mandatoratory. Yeah, that's why, that's why Trump loves him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, show crazy shit and crazy shit. But anyway, yeah, so we watched the actual halftime show. Yeah, it was well done. I agree, this turning point bullshit was terrible. I will never see it, of course, so who knows.
Speaker 2: And they couldn't even stream it as many places as they wanted because they forgot to ask permission for the licensing for the music to put it on their own goddamn website.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to go to YouTube. Yeah, because they didn't get permission, dumb asses.
Speaker 2: I know. Well, they didn't even have a lineup until like three weeks before.
Speaker 1: And shit, right, it's crazy what they lose their minds over. And yet pedophilia, right, school shootings, rape, yeah, right, sexual assault? Just you know, boys will be boys boys will be boys, and that's where we are.
Speaker 2: Chaw.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I couldn't tell you anything about the football game that was before and after that whole thing because I didn't watch it, or.
Speaker 2: The tight pants running contest. I believe I.
Speaker 1: Called it, yeah that year, right exactly. I mean we watched it all the way through when it was like the Eagles and ship. But I know, right, but if it's not the home team.
Speaker 2: I don't think I knew who was playing until the night of I did.
Speaker 1: I came out so I would never have to pretend again, I know. Never you want to. You want to stop a conversation about football quick, because it's a thing that people do. So how about them birds? Is that the one with the oddly shaped.
Speaker 2: Ball and the big H?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Stop them? Every time?
Speaker 2: Is the H for? Like, hey, we're playing football? Or like what's that about?
Speaker 1: I just don't care. I don't care. But yeah, so that happened. I think we got it all off our spirits. Yeah, yeah for now. Okay, let's let's get some podcast business out of the way. Let's do that.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, Goodpods, YouTube or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating, or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at Immarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never scurd Everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website, full Circlethepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle the Pod. Starting at just the three dollars a month tier, You get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle the Podcast who Podcast business over?
Speaker 1: Okay until next time. Yes, you've been listening to Full Circle to the podcast. I am Martha Madrigal and I.
Speaker 2: Am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye everyone. Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders that has at