Speaker 1: When we say who's in charge, we're usually wrong when we when we killed Salami, for example, the commander of the military, you know, we thought that would decapitate the IURGC. It didn't because he's not in charge. The people who are actually in charge are not big names. They call them sapahis or guardians that are in the background, that are controlling a lot of this stuff, not for ideological reasons as their number one reason. It's more about economic control and wealth generation for their for their inner circle. If the Iotola left, I feel very little with change.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome to another episode of Eyes On Geopolitics. We've got a special one today. Of course, we're joining Nick mulroy, Jason Lyons, and special guest Jonathan Hackett.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's been on there, he's been Eyes On and Team House before, incredible episodes. Check them out for sure. He's a uh wrote this great book Iran Shadow Weapons, Covert Action, Intelligence Operation, Unconventional WARFRI. And I think he's a perfect guest for what's going on. What's been going on for a while, you know, last week so in Iran protests against the regime and stuff like that, they've seemed to turn violent. Over the last few days, the internet's been cut off countrywide. There's been like a lot of reports, varying reports of like how many people have been killed by the regime and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's like all the way up to a couple of thousand.
Speaker 2: They're saying that a lot of their hospitals are like overrun with people with gunshot wounds and stuff like that. Jonathan has an intimate knowledge of what goes on in Iran and stuff, so I think he would have been a perfect guest for today. So thanks to me, Jonathan. What's up man?
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 1: How you guys doing?
Speaker 3: It's good to be here, good man.
Speaker 2: I mean, where do you want? Just want to start? You guys want to start like a basic on a TikTok, like what went down when and how it all popped off?
Speaker 4: Well, I could start with what I'm getting from media folks on the inside scoop if you will, like stuff that's not reported yet and obviously of interest. So apparently obviously there's significant protests, like over seventy cities. It appears that they have been identified as enemies of God now, which apparently and the Alexicon means you know open fire. It will when it comes to the besiege in the BIERGC. I think it's unknown how many have been killed, but I've seen reports size a thousand plus. I don't think people know, but I think there's a new scrubbing mechanism that uses AI to go through social media to try to identify more accurate numbers. But either way, it's really bad and for the protesters, I should say, and for the regime, which is a good thing of course, And I think Jonathan will get into all of the mechanisms that the regime has to stay in place. It's basically their main effort at all times, right, and they're just as concerned about their population, if not more so than even external threats. The other big factor I would throw out there for discussion with the group is, and this is now reported, so this is the public is that the administration is reviewing potential military options to enhance the protests in Iran. I would assume, although I don't know that there's already a pretty massive covert program going on. If not, there should be. I don't think that's the debate. I think the debates is whether they would use overt military efforts like strikes potentially on IRGC facilities or something that's directly associated with the security forces that are oppressing the people. I heard, and I think this is someone in reporting that the debates between the White House and the State Department. So the State Department's kind of of the mind that this won't help the protesters. It'll just potentially, you know, give the regime an out to say this is all US based, it's not real, et cetera. Hard to say that when it's extensive as it is, but they'll use it and potentially try to get people a rally around the flag, so to speak. And then I'm told that the White House has been very uh pleased with their use of military force in the second term to date and that they are war incline to use it. So there you go. Throw it back to you guys to hit those points. I think jonathan'ld be great to really talk about what the regime does to keep itself in power, because he's he's written some excellent books on the topic, and I think, as you said, the perfect timing, and he's a Murray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, almost our fire had to throw that out there. Yeah with that, yeah, yeah, So it's day fifteen of the protests, so that, as you're saying, Mick, it's very tough to know exactly how many are injured, how many are killed, how many have disappeared, And the problem there is that both sides benefit from whatever number they're using because it can satisfy different objectives based on what that number is. And that's similar in most conflicts and protests, So we probably will never really know exactly how many died in this protest or were arrested. Similar happened in the past. There's been about ten different protests that have names that are very significant in Iran in the last forty plus years, and this always is an issue of knowing how widespread is it, who actually is dying, who's doing the killing. Interestingly, in this particular protest, because they shut the internet off around seventy two hours ago, the only media that's being released is being released by IRIIB, which is it's the Islamic Republic if Iran Broadcasting, which is a state owned and state controlled, IERGC controlled news outlet. That's the outlet that's actually releasing images of morgues and warehouses and hospitals full of bodies, which is very interesting to consider. Why would the regime be doing that. And I think it's more about messaging to Iranians than it is about messaging to the world. And what they're probably trying to do is intimidate the people that are once their internet actually gained some access, the first images they're going to see are images of their dead people. And I think that's probably the goal of what that is right there. And that's again, the Internet has been a weapon that the regime has been using recently. They use it in June against their own people. They actually shut the internet off when Israel and the US were striking your on. That wasn't the outside shutting them off. That was the regime shutting the people off from knowing what was going on. Because fear is their weapon. I think it was rage against the machine that said like fear is your only God on the radio, and I mean it's really true. You can weaponize this feeling, which will maybe prevent some people from actually taking to the streets, because what the regime does not want is more people on the streets. Even if those people don't have weapons, they have voices, and they have the ability, they have spending power, and in an economy that's damaged. Like the current Iranian economy, spending power is everything. And that's a huge point about who is actually protesting right now. If you look at, for example, in twenty twenty one during the water shortage protests, or twenty nineteen which they called Bloody Abon, which is when fuel prices had tripled, and I could name a bunch of other ones, there was usually a single segment of society protesting. You know, for example, during the masa Amini protest, it was a lot about human rights, women's rights, So there's a certain segment of society it's going to stand out there and protest right now. The significant news item is that it's not just one group. It's the Bazari merchants, which were actually the people that fueled the base for the regime to take power in nineteen seventy nine in the first place, and that core element of their constituency is protesting against them. This is a huge change and has never happened since nineteen seventy nine. So that's a very interesting development.
Speaker 4: Question for you on the internet. So we don't go past that because I mean, they shut it down, But what about skylike like is their ability to override that does it take. And if you don't know the answer, sorry, if I'm putting you on the spot or on business for everybody, like, is that able to get through? Are they actually able to interfere with Skylink's ability to provide the Internet to the population in Iran or and there's something we could do cyber wise to affect that change.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So what you're talking about is basically a mesh network configuration, which Starlink is a branded version of a mesh network. I actually wrote a paper on this enable post graduate school, where you can create a mesh network to provide Internet and basically circumvent a state controlled internet system, which the regime actually imported the Great Firewall from China. China came in and actually as a partnership built Iran's internet infrastructure, which is what the regime is throttling right now. So they're able to filter almost ninety eight percent of Internet traffic using this mechanism. But the regime has had a problem not just with mesh networks like you're talking about, but also with dishes on roofs. And if you see pictures of Tehran or any other major city, you just see roofs covered in satellite dishes because the everyday people they want to be able to reach out to the outside world, and they're using these these parabolic antennas to do that. There are other ways as well, because even with the throttled Internet you can still get around it. There's two applications. One is called Freegate and one is called Siphon, and both of these are used to get around the Chinese Great Firewall and Iran's what it's called National Internet Network, which is called the niin. Both of these basically act as open web proxies that have these huge rotating server lists. They don't always work. Let's say it's like a ninety eight percent failure rate, but if you can get a two percent success rate on that penetrating the filtered network, that's success, right. So if you couple that with a mesh network like starlink, you could have some success. The problem with starlink is it costs money. You're talking about a regime where the economy is completely controlled by the IRGC and the people are protesting because they have no money.
Speaker 4: How are you going to put it? Seems be a good investment on the US government's part.
Speaker 3: Just that's not.
Speaker 1: Exactly what I was getting at is that if we're talking about covert support or even overt support, maybe that means paying subsidizing starlink temporarily to allow people access so they can go out and arrange protest movements.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and so the rest of the world, you know, And I would say that we should stick to the covert side, not to direct overt strikes. I kind of agree with State on this. But one of the things we can do is amplify the organic nature of what's going on right now, and that's giving people the Internet put out there what's happening. You know, hopefully that's the case. Hopefully, and I'm sure you know there's smart people looking at this right now how we can do that. But so you do think, Jonathan, there's a way around this attempt of the regime to basically put the country in the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's going to affect most people because most people aren't sophisticated enough to figure out how to get around it. But there are other ways too. So I mentioned the filtering anti filtering, those two applications freegate and siphon. Then there's the Mesh network like you mentioned, And there's another way, which is if you're in the border areas like an herd a stand or abadon down the south. If you're close enough to the Emirates, or you're close enough to Iraq, you can use Cork, you can use a tess a lot. These are the two other Internet service providers that are in Iraq and the Emirates that actually you can reach them because of a line of sight, so you could actually still transmit outside the country totally absent of the government's control of the Internet. Can you amplify those You can do that with repeters. Yeah, so, especially in a country like Iran that has a lot of high dramatic terrain, perfect situation for reputers across the top of the ridge lines to just pass that signal from a major city to the border area.
Speaker 2: Are there doing that? I'm hoping right Cia M I six Whoever, hopefully.
Speaker 1: It's really tough because those things are so obvious that if the regime, I mean, all you need is a you know, a small handheld device to figure out where that signal is coming from and direction, find on it and destroy it, which is what they were doing with the antennas on roofs as well. There's just so many of them. If you could flood the environment with these devices, the regime just wouldn't have the resources to stop it.
Speaker 4: Could you do it wrong? Version of a repeater.
Speaker 1: You could, but that would require a lot of power.
Speaker 4: I know we're geeking out here, or at least I am, on the tactics of this, but I'm not a cyber expert by any stretch. But it seems like that would be one of the best things that the international community, including in the United States of course, could do to amplify what is clearly an organic, not you know, fabricated uprising against the regime, right, So, I mean, and you're a very well published author, which is awesome. Can you explain? And sorry, I know you probably have some questions, but I just wanted to know this because I'm going to be talking happing about this today, Like what is the mechanism other than what we all know why our GC besiege et cetera. Could force like the mechanism internal that keeps the regime in place, both by you know, the kind of intelligence and the action arm of that element. And are they any good because we've obviously saw direct strikes by Israel on individuals that they had you know they were hosting and clearly they've been infiltrated. What's your thought on that and can you kind of give the listeners an idea just how they keep themselves in power with such a opposition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this grip on power that we see today is kind of a long term development that started in nineteen eighty nine when the current Iatola took over from the original Ayatola. And what happened was he consolidated power economically through these organizations called bonyads, which are essentially kind of like quasi religious charity organizations on paper, but what they do is actually funnel all the money the regime controls into these specialized and tes. That's at one layer, and then below that are things like banks, state pension funds, you know, overseas investment funds. So you think about like in the United States we have private equity and hedge funds and things like that. The regime has something very similar to that that are owned in the person of the Ayatola, and one of them is called Setad se Tad, which is interesting to look into if you have time. There was a time article, i think in the nineties about Ayatola Kamani about how he's potentially one of the richest human beings on earth, more than j Bezos because of his control over these bonyards. And it's we're talking hundreds of billions of dollars. And there was actually a statement by the Minister of Finance in the regimes inner circle a few years ago where he admitted that twenty percent of the black market in Iran is controlled by the IERGC. So if the government is saying twenty percent is controlled by the IRGC, you can only imagine what the real number is, right, And if they're controlling the black market and they're also controlling the regular commercial market, it it's not about necessarily our conventional ideas about securitization of a state, which is what's causing repression. Instead it's economic control of the state. So the reason fuel prices are high, the reason the tomn is devalued, the real is devalued, the reason there's little water access, this is because the regime is controlling the economy rather than allowing actual government functions to move normally as they should. I could go into it very deeply, but I'll leave it there.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: We had like there was like a report maybe a month or a few months ago, maybe two three months ago about Iran and their the drought, the problem with their water has that is it really like just comes down to the regime like holding the you know, the Spagott open or not in terms of like getting because they were talk about moving to the capital and stuff like that. I can't say, like just insane things that you can't even like, you know, the scale of it is like unbelievable to even think about.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is not a new issue. I mean twenty twenty one there is a huge protest movement. It was water shortage and labor issues and some other stuff. The problem is this infrastructure that is in the water system is poorly maintained. It's basically Shaw era infrastructure that's not ever been updated. So you've got like rotting metal, you've got pipes clogged up, you've got poorly managed dams. Because there's a lot of corruption in the government obviously, right, so like the people that are supposed to be like technocrats that you'd want running these things are not running them. Instead, it's higher GC affiliated individuals who are either brainwashed or sympathetic to the regime as their number one qualification to be running a dam, right, So that's that's a big problem. Also, I think it's I camember how many decades. This is the worst drought Iran has had in decades, right, So they're already at a low water table. They're having issues with how the crops are being like how the efficiency of the actual movement of water to grow crops is happening. You have to remember it's a very mountainous country. Like where we mentioned there's there's very little kind of lowland flat land with water access, so it requires extra infrastructure to actually move water from mountain to mountain. There's one navigable river in the entire country at the Karoon River where actual ships can move on the rest of it are not navigable by large ships, So there's already like a environmentally low water level there. Combine that with corruption and with a drought, now you've got a recipe for water disaster, which is like one small component of the current protests.
Speaker 4: So the next thing, of course, is what if we have catastrophic success. I'm sorry, Jay, just throw that out there. Maybe you have like the questions I'm getting is what comes next? Right, Like what if you know there's reports that the Iatola is talking about fleeing to Moscow, et cetera. Like, what if the regime is decapitated, is it just simply going to leave the IRGC is presumptive power that will fill the vacuum. Is there any chance that it could be a formation of a government more friendly to the United States, the West and being part of the you know, community and nations. Is there any leader that actually has the clout to stand up and do that, or are we basically going to move from a theocracy into a military dictatorship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's three possible outcomes. But I'll first put a pin on the thing about the decapitation. When we say decapitation, we're typically thinking about a person or a small group. So in this case, most people are thinking, well, if we kill Ayatola Jameni or he runs away to Moscow, if the regime is decapitated. But there's a problem. It's like the whole problem framing concept in military planning. If we don't frame the correct the problem correctly, we're gonna be pursuing the wrong problem in the wrong solution the entire time. The thing is with the regime. When we say who's in charge, we're usually wrong. You know, when we killed Salami, for example, the commander of the military, you know, we thought that would decapitate the IURGC. It didn't because he's not in charge. The people who are actually in charge are not big names. They're not on the on the news all the time. It's a small group of they call them sapahis or guardians that are in the background, that are controlling a lot of the stuff. Not for ideological reasons as their number one reason. It's more about economic control and wealth generation for their for their inner circle. So if the Iotola left, I feel very little would change. And I'll go back to the three outcomes. One is that he leaves and or dies, The second one is that the monarch returns, and the third one is that the IERGC takes over. These are very three, you know, common potential outcomes. The most likely thing that will probably happen, and I'm not a future you know predictor of the crystal ball. Probably what would happen is the IRGC would take over. That third option is most likely. The reason for that is because the monarchy is not universally liked, even by people who want freedom in the country. Because a monarchy doesn't really equal freedom, It just equals another way of consolidating power, which is what the revolution was about in the first place. A lot of the outside Iran support for inside Iran protests talk about the monarchy, and that does not correlate to what people want inside the country. And it's the people inside the country that ultimately have to live every day with what the next government is. Right, So that's always a question of what do the people outside want versus what the people inside want, And we have to rectify those two desires in kind of trying to predict what might happen next and what the consequences are. And if the US or Israel is perceived widely by people in Iran that they were behind a regime change and the monarch came back, I feel like we'd probably run into a very similar problem that we had with the original Shah before he left, where there was this widespread kind of consternation about who's actually running things in the country, even if the monarch was purely running it himself without foreign influence. If people doubted enough, you're going to lose that kind of support for that leadership.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, I want to tell all of you today about a new newsletter that we're launching that encompasses both the Teamhouse Pie cast, the eyes On podcast, and the high Side news outlet, which I run with Sean Naylor.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: The newsletter is gonna be once a week. It's gonna come into your inbox and you're gonna get the most current podcasts on eyes On and the Teamhouse and whatever's topical or current on the high Side. So it's another way for us to get the information out to you as social media algorithms are pretty iffy and you never really know what you're gonna get. So this is a once a week email. It'll slide into your inbox and it will have you know the greatest hits of that week. It's really good checking it out. The website for it is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash Join Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash join.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: You go there and you enter into your email list, or you enter your email into the little thing on the website and you're good to go and that'll be it. So we really appreciate your support and hope you'll consider signing up.
Speaker 4: Where's the link.
Speaker 5: The link will also be down the description if you're looking for it.
Speaker 6: There and that's Teamhouse podcast, dot kit k I t Kilo India, Tango dot Com, Backslash, Join.
Speaker 3: Jay, what do you got? You were going to say something.
Speaker 7: I was just gonna ask, as far as the protests are concerned, do you think that the regime is willing to Is there a red line that the regime would not want to protest to cross before they increase their the use of violence against the protesters, and what might that look like if they were I think the regime is acting in a state of fear and survival and they're not using logic to calculate to your question about a red line.
Speaker 1: I think what they're doing is they're going to continue throwing assets at the problem to try to tamp down. And there's actually clear indications of that happening right now. They have Afghans actually manning checkpoints in eastern Iran. They have Hezbola in Tehran marching down the streets enforcing the law. They have Pakistanis, and they have some other foreign fighters that we're working with the regime in Syria that are now in Iran actually doing a siege like law enforcement activity. They did this previously in I think it was twenty nineteen or twenty seventeen. It was twenty seventeen. During one of those protests, they had five thousand Lebanese Hezbula fighters patrolling the streets in Tehran. And I think you'll see something like that continuing, where rather than making a logical choice about what to do next, they're going to just continue throwing these foreign assets at it to try to tamp down.
Speaker 7: Which was what is their probable state of mind? And you said it's panic mode right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been this way for a long time and they've that's kind of been their main mode of behaving. Rather than thinking like a rational actor, they've been acting like someone with their backup against the wall, making very rash decisions about what to do next.
Speaker 2: I mean, you do see what the uh what uh Comane's tweeting and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: He's tweeted like an absolute maniac.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like somebody who's really in control and locked into what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if I was, you know, if I was the ninety year old dictator and I was afraid that I might get to pose, I'd probably stay off of Twitter because, uh, every time you hit send. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, Jen, so I gotta jump real quick. I'll try to jump back on I all.
Speaker 2: Right, look mixed, going to say mixed, going to parachute into Teyran right now to assassinate the Supreme Leader.
Speaker 3: You didn't, you're here to hear first.
Speaker 1: Bring me back some saffron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know you don't want to speculate, but like you said, like the IRGC is likely if you had a bet money, likely, the IRGC is the one that would take over Iran. Also, the interesting thing I've seen like over the last it's been more than like the last few weeks of protests. It's been more like the last few months basically ever since we Israel and the US hit the nuclear sites.
Speaker 3: It was like you see these kind of like puff pieces.
Speaker 2: In America, like the Western media about the Shaw and how and you know you hear it on Twitter too, as these protests have continued to go on where they like bring back the show, long live a show and stuff like that, and it's like, dude, this guy's been outside of Iran for fifty years. Yeah, so it's like they really is some like secret love for this guy to come back, or is that just what like Western powers really want.
Speaker 1: You got to think about a lot of the Iranians that are let's say our parents' age, that are outside of Iran. They left Iran during your revolution, so like they grew up Proshaw left the country after their views and now they're speaking and their kids grew up like that too. So people that are our age or even younger grew up in that environment, like in calif Warn you, for example Los Angeles a lot of pro Shaw stuff, because that's those were the people that left the regime or left the country and came to the United States. You know, that's what we have. Doesn't mean it's it's false support, but it may be overemphasized or over over. It's it's not representing the actual sentiment, especially like I said, inside Iran, like because those are the people that will have to be dealing with the new government if there is one every day, and is that the government that they wanted in the first place? You know, And actually Iran people think about Iran, they think like, oh, it's this centralized authoritarian system, whether it's a monarch or it's a ayatola. But Iran actually has had democracy twice in its h you know century recent century of history. Nineteen oh six they had a constitutional revolution. In the nineteen fifty three they had Muhammed Mossadeg who was deposed by the CIA. Both of those times that people actually picked their government, and both times it was a democracy. So there is a big desire for that in Iran. The problem is, and I don't know if this is over to the Venezuela discussion, there's oil in Iran, and foreign interest in oil are always looking they and it's easier to manage a single authoritarian than it is to manage a democracy if you want the oil out of that country, right, and that's just rational, you know international relations concept. You want to have the simplest access to that resource. So whether it's the United States, Britain, Russia, or China, all of them have something in common, and that is they want the oil in Iran. And if that means that they need to keep it dictator or a monarch in power, they'll they'll do it because that means they get what they want.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you said, how you know folks that came from Iran like immigrated to the States and like you know, maybe the UK and other places after the year during the you know, the fall a mirrors a lot like Cuban immigrants right to the States, even like Greek immigrants to the States, right, like a lot of them came over during like the junta and stuff like that. There are those like he kind of gets they kind of get stuck in time a little bit, right and remember like the good old days before, without thinking what the actual people on the ground of whether it's Cuba, Greece, Iran, or take your pick, really want for themselves. Yeah, if you have anything else in Iran or jay if you have any questions on it Iran, I just let.
Speaker 3: Them want to ask if you.
Speaker 7: Know what Israel's role on the ground might be or even geopolitical. As far as all this is concerned, what are they saying.
Speaker 1: From my contacts inside Iran, the consensus or feeling is that Israel's deeply penetrated the i urgy see and outside the erurgycy but still in the government because there are some actual secular components of the government. And I think that's probably true. And the question is the ones who are infiltrated, are those the ones that will eventually take over or is there a separate element that will eventually take over. And it's really tough to say because obviously when you're doing clandestine work, it's hard to manage that because it's clandestine, so you can't actually, you know, answer every question about what your move might do, what the effect might be. I think it will be interesting because if you look at who was assassinated in June, there is certainly a select deck of individuals who were killed and then a select deck of peers who were not killed. And of course, you know, doing some inferential analysis, you could question about why did they survive?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, you know, because we're you know, relatively. It's understood that the kuts Force and i Arogy. You see, obviously it protects Iran and its main thing is to protect itself and the Supreme you know, the Ayatola. But like they're obviously deployed across the world. Are they pulling back in terms of like their covert stuff outside of Iran to like come back and be like, oh shit, we got to make sure things are covered at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's important to distinguish between kuts Force, which is like a special operations element that does partner force training with the elite partner units like in Syria previously, and the IRGC generally, which is much larger because the IRGC also has an intelligence organization which actually took over from the we call it the MOIS, but if they actually call it VAJA. So IRGC Intelligence Organization took over domestic intelligence activities from this other entity in two thousand and nine after the Green Revolution that Johan Bashi sobs and when they did that, they set up across every province an outpost. So there's IERGC Intelligence Organization all over the country, and there's also some other elements. There's there's actually quite a few other other named elements that are supporting them on all these provinces. So kutz Force is still doing what Kudz Force does because it's a foreign entity, like they're supposed to only do stuff outside the country, whereas IRGC Intelligence Organization is the one that's most concerning domestically and also regionally. So there's there we call it IRGCIO. The IO is all over the place in like Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, Turkey, Syria, like the ring around Iran basically as could force as much further out. You know, they're in Latin America, they're in Africa, they're sometimes in the United States. Not doing very well with their operations they try, you know, so they're they're pretty widespread, whereas it's the the io that's inside Iran that's that's causing a lot of this background collection that's resulting in a lot of what they do is they'll they'll they'll disappear people to scare others. So you saw during the masa Amini protests what they would do is they would actually use Instagram to geolocate where the people were, and they'd go to their house and basically throw them off their rooftop to kill them that way, and then say that someone committed suicide, you know, and like they would use this as a way to instill fear and kind of like make people think twice about stepping outside. But they've turned the Internet off, so they can't use that tool very well. Right, Yeah, So going back to what I was mentioning earlier, that's why they're probably releasing these images of people and you know, the dead essentially is to try to achieve that same outcome.
Speaker 3: Damn unbelievable. What's going on? All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's flip to another oil rich country, Venezuela, that we last week. Obviously everyone knows, we went in and snatched Maduro. He's three miles away from my house right now, relaxing in a Brooklyn detention center. Interesting thing this week, what happened. You know, we saw President Trump with Secretary of State Rubio and some other folks from the administration meet with a round table of oil executives and the Halliburton executive. And I joked with you guys before the show started about how insane that would be if we did that in two thousand and two, in two thousand and three when we went into our Iraq. And now it just seems to be normal, Like this is like just normal operating procedure. And I kind of went through down a rabbit hole in terms of like what what's the deal with Venezuelan oil and how it's like heavy crude and it needs like serious refinement, and that like Venezuela really isn't the infrastructure really isn't there. It needs like five to ten years of like modernization for them to like make it cost effective. You know, they get like they get some precursor that goes into the oil to like you know thin it out from Russia, Like they don't really have a great infrastructure there. Also, the other part about the heavy crew thing is like heavy crew needs to be at eighty dollars a barrel for it to make sense economically for Venezuela. Also, the whole thing about them having three hundred plus billion of reserves was a number that Hugo Chabas came up with back in the early two thousands to like say, hey, you're a real deal player here, and that's the number that we've taken for the last twenty five years. Is being true, some people are saying that it could be a third of that.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Oil still, obviously, but you know, it's not exactly like we could just go in there, stick a tap into the ground and then we're rich all of a sudden because we have all this oil. You know, most of the oil execs at that round table, at least maybe they were offline, off the record, we're talking like this doesn't really make sense for us economically, and most of them are actually more into it for getting their ten billion dollars for Like the judgment that was against that was like levied against Venezuela when they pulled out when they like nationalized the oil industry there. So it's just I don't know what the fuck we're doing there, is basically my point. So John, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So, actually it's interesting this situation with the oil because it's even though it feels regional, it feels local, it's actually international in scope. Because we were just talking about Iran's oil as one thing, China has all these small teapot refineries is what they're called. They're basically kind of like backyard oil refineries that are designed specifically to work with this kind of crude exactly. And what has been going on a lot of Venezuela and oil is that it's been doing ship to ship transfers over to China and being refined by these very small time almost like entrepreneurial oil refineries. Right. Well, the problem that the US now controlling that you have to think about what effect will this have on Chinese oil use? How will this affect China Iran oil use because Iran is a number one provider of oil to China currently. Well, if there's a regime change in Iran and the US now controls Iran and Venezuela, oil production. What does that mean for China? Because if China's oil is coming from these two countries and the US now controls it, the only other option is Russia. So this is just I mean, I don't want to speculate on what could all these like third order effects, but that's a very interesting thing to think about internationally, about what will happen just because of the change of control over the oil now with the crude oil, the US is actually the only country that's able to truly commercialize what's currently in Venezuela, and that's why Chevron stayed there for so long. The problem is the infrastructure, of course, is breaking down. It's been breaking down for a long time. It was nationalized previously, so there's a lot of you know, detritus in these in these processing pieces of a equipment. But if the oil price, like you said, it needs to be eighty dollars for it to be profitable, and right now it's in the fifties. Again, internationally, how is that going to affect opek? How is that going to affect Saudi Arabia and the Emirates who we want to have on our side, because if we if we push them out of this game, guess who they might start selling oil to China? Right, So like there's a lot of third order questions that pop out of this single act of taking over this oil damn.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's like a lot going on here. Like it's pretty uh unbelievable. Yeah, just this whole rabbit hole I went into about like going it like, you know, I still have trying to wrap my head around why the fuck we did it, right, because like we play the we play the role is like, uh, you know, freedom and democracy coming to you soon, but we're still we're dealing with Maduro's number two and number three command right, Like the Rodriguez siblings you know who are seeing Yeah yeah, and who have been in the government for twenty plus years. They were part of Hugo you know, they came up with Hugo Chavas. So it's really interesting, like you know, how the veil has kind of been lifted a little bit. And I don't know if this is like what US foreign policy has been all about for the last fifty years, but kind of really seems like that's what it's been about for the last fifty years, is in just imperialism. Frankly, sorry to talk like a pink okami.
Speaker 1: But well, you know, we don't have the balancing force that we had with the Soviet Union previously, where there was like a second actor that could come in and affect what was happening, and we're currently sort of unrestrained or unipolar, I guess is the term to use. But there are no constraints, there are no repercussions, which no matter actually who is in office, because if you look during the Obama administration, you know, the Predator drone was used exponentially more than it was during the Bush administration, Right, That's one example. And the things we were doing in Syria, like you would never imagine we'd be doing that in Syria if the Soviet Union was still around. Right, So, because there are no checks on that, regardless of who is in power in the United States, the US as a country internationally is going to act in an unconstrained way until there is a constraint placed on it.
Speaker 4: Make your back glad to see the Middle Eastern media is head start collectively exploding.
Speaker 3: Them or really, why did something new happened?
Speaker 4: All the reports are coming out now that you know, obviously the White House is considering these strikes, and according to them, the decision point or the options brief will be Tuesday and a decision will be made. I don't know that to be true, just passing on. I think they were citing the Reuters, so I know. We moved on to Venezuela bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about the crazy roundtable of oil executives and Halliburton, which again would be unbelievable to see if this is twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Do the oil executives really really want access to Venezuela. I say that not as a statement, a genuine question. I'm an energy expert.
Speaker 2: I think the only company that was like really down for it was Chevron because I think Conico Phillips has like a big deal with Guyana and they have the same kind of heavy crew that Venezuela does, and it's more developed and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So there isn't this real.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously people are gonna want to make money, but there isn't like this huge rush as people would think that there would be to get this Venezuelan.
Speaker 4: Like a decade long infrastructure built. Yeah, this effective, right, So this is a long term commitment by these companies that may or may not last policy wise beyond the next three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Also, like what's the situation on the ground, like in terms in Venezuela, right, Like, how are you going to protect these assets? You know, you're gonna drop one hundred billion dollars of investment and maybe in five years the country looks different and they say fuck all again, you know which Frankly, if you ask me, that's like within their rights to do because it's their country and it's their resources.
Speaker 3: But why would anybody with.
Speaker 2: You know, if I want to be profitable, if I'm an investor or an oil company, why would I dump billions of dollars in fixing infrastructure if there's like a maybe there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And is it just we're going to keep the regime in place by paying part of this to them. What's the difference between you know this and what was going on before? Essentially, I mean, the US used to promote democracy around the world. Right, we actually recognized that ed Mundo Gonzalez won the last of the twenty twenty four election. Like that's official policy right now by the United States. So we're going to try and I know it's much easier.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem like the facto policy to be honest, right, you know.
Speaker 4: Like, why aren't we forcing them to either let them be the interim government or pulled another election.
Speaker 1: Department just went there and met with the current government.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, so we're basically propping them up, which is just that the Maduro government minus Maduro.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You guys know anything about the collectivos that are on the ground in Venezuela. Can I get a little bit of info on that.
Speaker 4: Well, Like most regimes, their primary purpose is to stay in power, right, So the collectivo is a paramilitary group that's kind of like a common lease. Has been described to me a combination of a security force, a cartel, a gang, street gang. They are basically affected because they're extraordinarily and violent and they have no restraints when ordered, So that would make it very challenging, you know, to reinsure Maria Machado, of course, I think that's a fair point, but essentially locks down everything and anyone at the direction of the Minister of Interior. It was one of the apparently the most powerful leader that's there. It's not under our system, of course, but under their system. It's it's about the regime security. So that individual is has a lot of clout, much more so than the acting president.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, I think that's all I got for Venezuela. I'm missing something. You guys should hit me up. I mean, it looks like another fucking quagmar, to be completely honest, and it doesn't seem like we're at all promoting democracy anywhere. We don't really give a fuck about that. They We just care about who agrees with us and does what we want them to do. Another another, you know, in the Western hemisphere, Greenland, you know, there's talk about, you know, invading Greenland or paying citizens of Greenland one hundred thousand dollars to like become American citizens, which like, why the fuck would you do that? Because one hundred grand would just go to your medical bills if he became an American.
Speaker 3: Uh So, why what's the incentive in that bills? Yeah? Or that? Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, if we were to ever try and take over Greenland, obviously it would be easy militarily. That's what the one thing we're good at is fucking fucking other people's militaries up.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: What comes after is usually where we fucking stumble. What happens to NATO as an Alliance, right.
Speaker 4: It's it's this is this is hard to believe we're even talking about it's you know, it started as like, oh, he's just a bloviating too.
Speaker 3: He's just dotty and old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean where to start, right, So Greenland. We have like three treaties with Greenland, to include the NATO treaty, right, and they've they've During the Cold War, we had many bases in many people. It's it's strategically important. Yes, that's true. It's like the interceptor point for you know, in a continental continental ballistic missiles coming our way. Apparently somebody told me it's like the pogy or whatever the top of the trajectory is is right under it, so it's the easiest place to strike it. So that's definitely true. It's also you know, we're seeing Arctic ice cap melt, so the access to hydrocarbons and rare earth minerals are more prevalent. And then if you look at the globe and just flip it like this, once that's the case, the world gets a lot smaller. So obviously it's strategically important. So is everything that touches the Arctic. That said, the aforementioned treaties allow us to do everything that we're saying that we need to do that we're not doing right now. Like, if it's that big of a security issue and Russia and China are just circling Greenland, which they're not, then why aren't we there? Like why did we degrae our reduce our presence to like one hundred folks in one base. So the question is, if it's that important to why aren't we doing something about now? Why aren't American companies in there full full throttle looking how to exploit this? So that's that is one issue on whether this is really about the things that we are saying it is. And then the second issue is just the damage this is doing to the United States reputation to even talk about it. Under the UN Charter, you cannot obviously use threat against another nation. You can't even threaten it. So we're already past that. We're threatening because they won't take it off the table, which is a threat to use military force against the NATO partner. So we're clearly in the wrong internationally on this. It is I mean, you're you're seeing reports that NATO, I mean European countries are going to start sending forces there, and you know why they're doing it. They're going to say, well, you said that it's under threat, So now the UK, Germany and France are going to send forces potentially of course uh Deadmark as well, uh t Greenland right now to bolster or this perceived threat of Chinese and Russian invasions. And that's going to course just escalate it because it's going to irritate the White House and we'll see where it goes from here. But the other part of this, and I'd love to erit. You guys, think about this. This is clearly against the treaties that the US signed, which is against US law. So how the military would even entertain or prepare for an invasion is a question I would have because it's clearly an unlawful order to invade a NATO treatied ally per the US law that established our presence in NATO, unless we withdraw, which I think takes senate action, not just unilateral executive action. So I'll stop there, tacity.
Speaker 1: I think also thinking about Article five. You know, the only time it was used was in Afghanistan, right, And I was thinking back when I was deployed there in the same base I was on. We had Danish special forces with US. We actually used the chow Hal you know. We have Danish special Forces partnered in Ghana right now with US SAFT training the Ghanaian military. There's Special Boat Service, you know, like there's there's active US work with the Danes overseas. And I can't imagine how it must be for those teams on the ground working together, watching this happening and looking at each other, you know, because it could potentially be that the next morning you wake up and suddenly we're enemies in the same camp. It's just crazy.
Speaker 4: It is crazy, and they're very effective, and quite frankly, I've stood at a dignified transfer for one of them, and I think this is really rubbing, not that you know, they're taking this new account veterans, especially of Afghanistan the wrong way because this is not the way you talk and treat allies, and as as Jonathan said, the only time Article five has been initiated has been to our benefit. And a lot of these countries sat in Afghanistan, even a rock which I don't even know what I had to do with nine to eleven for decades, and the Danes specifically per capita, I think was one of the highest casualty rates per capita of any of US.
Speaker 7: As crazy as US having even talked about this is it also begs the crazy the equally crazy question. You know, could this be a ploy by this administration to drive a wedge in NATO? You know, they've already made it clear that they don't think it's effective anyway, So what would stop them from using this or even bringing this to the table just to drive wedges and form cracks in NATO to try to ultimately get it to pull itself apart.
Speaker 4: Point And it's doing it.
Speaker 3: It's working.
Speaker 2: If we if that's a real plan within the administration, I mean, are we're actively working for Russia's benefit then, because.
Speaker 1: Like hundred treaties out of the UN we just pulled out of them this past week.
Speaker 8: Good god, guys, And it's I mean, let's let's let's feel those whole world order was established by US after World War II for our benefit, Like we're gonna write this order and we're on top of the order.
Speaker 4: Right, that's a good thing. That's why the US economy is the number one in the world. It wasn't by accident, right, and we The US's power is its friends and its ability to coordinate in form alliances that matter to everybody in the alliance. The NATO alliance is the most significant I think military alliance in history. I think one could argue and it benefited us, right, So if if we rupture NATO, you know, I think there's I don't know if they're accurate, but like you're seeing some statements out of European leaders that they're already looking at how to shut down US basis.
Speaker 2: I was gonna mention that there was an EU minister that was like popping off on the radio somewhere. I don't remember his name, so apologies where he was like, if this were to go down in Greenland, like we're going to kick you guys out of every single base you guys are in. We're more than happy to take it over. I mean, listen, getting all the European countries to do the same thing at once. I mean, whatever, we'll see if that happens. But even if it happened in Italy or Germany or wherever take your pick, wherever there's US bases, that's a real like you'd never heard something like that from it The Europeans always take things into consideration and they huddle and they talk about stuff and they come out with a really cool statement. But like that's like real PC. But frankly, I kind of like to see them have a little bit of teeth and like bite back against this administration because this administration seems to not give a fuck about Europe.
Speaker 4: Might not have a choice and remember all the things that have to happen to do it. I mean, if you do it by force, here's what issue. I don't think the United States, the American citizen is going to want to view its country as a neo colonial power. It's right, So I think you'll get refusing orders for real then. And I also think that at the end of this term, whoever comes next is probably going to give it back right because it was taken by force, so there's no like treaty law, none of that. I just don't see it happening. So I wish we would have to talk about it because it sounds like just a ridiculous idea. I think the Senate would step in and cut off all funding for it, I really do. I looked at comments from senators. The only one I saw that was really significant was talking about, well, I was talking about buying it, right, take the force off the table, even though it's not technically off the table, and then look at the buying part. Well, to buy it, he would have to you know, it's still part of Denmark, so they would have to agree, and then Greenland has to agree. And Greenland gets a lot of support from Denmark. Right, they have a total basically socialist system, all their healthcare, all their education, way more than they contribute. Unless the United States wants to give more to the people in green One, then they give to the people in Montana.
Speaker 2: Or New York, Zengland's almost like Region's almost like Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then we're gonna then we can't match it, nor do they. And it's clear they don't want to be part of the United States from all.
Speaker 2: Why would you want to be part of the United States? Seriously, why would you want to be.
Speaker 4: I mean they don't.
Speaker 3: So that's Greenland if you're yeah, right.
Speaker 4: They're doing pretty good. The other part is then the Senate. It has to be a treaty. So the Senate has to pass the treaty to actually purchase Greenland, and the House has to pass the appropriations to buy it, Like, I mean, does anybody I'm not an expert on the acquisition of foreign countries, but I think that's a heavy lift that it's never and there's no interest. Nobody else in the Senate has talked about this until now, so the idea that they want to purchase and that you know, I'm obviously an old school Reagan type republic, but the current thinking of MAGA is the opposite of this, right, It's more on the isolation a side. It's not in the neocolonial let's take over, you know, territory from allies. So I just don't see how this is.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was a MAGA bro about America first, I'd be pretty fucking pissed about seeing what's going on in the last few months, Gonna be honest.
Speaker 7: But anything I'm seeing on social media and you know, TikTok and YouTube and all that they are, you know, they're screaming that, you know, hey, President Trump, what happened to America?
Speaker 1: First?
Speaker 7: Like, I've seen people full on who when I first started watching them, we're all about this administration, and in the last six months or so have completely turned on them completely. So I think it's gone beyond them. I think them playing to their base was for elect for votes, and then once they got into office, it.
Speaker 4: Was screw you, We're going to do what we want.
Speaker 7: We don't care whether you like us or not.
Speaker 4: But there's representatives and the House and the Senate that you know, hopefully they have their own agency, and they are. I mean, you're seeing some pretty scene, I think, so, I hope so this is would require anyway, Yeah, exactly. This might not help them on the but and I don't do politics, and I don't belong to a party, but I'm just looking at this from the national security perspective, like the US not not either any party. This is not in our national security interest. Even the discussion is seriously fraying our alliances. And I don't know if it's recovery. I mean, think of I guess I'd ask anybody that's listening, think if you are a European leader right now, like, what would you be doing.
Speaker 1: From reserve currency?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of economic things that they could do, right, they could like the whole bond mark is it depends on foreign leaders foreign decisions, right, This could just not go well for the United it's already not going well for the United States. I wish we would just move on. I support plenty of the things that they've done, not plenty, but some. I try to call it objectively, but this is objectively a terrible idea, even a talk, and I don't think we're gonna do it, which makes the talk even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mack, I would agree with you. I mean, anybody with a normal functioning brain would agree with you. But you know, you see officials from the administration going on news channels and spinning this as a good idea, actual card carrying members of the administration going out there.
Speaker 4: And I never said this before, right, So it's it's never been an issue. Apparently we got the Virgin Islands with some deal, like we agreed never to make a claim on Greenland and they gave us the Dutch Antilles or something like that, and that is why we have the US Virgin Islands. Like if if it's just going to be a mite, makes right, And you know what's it's the famous quote the strong do what they will and they must yeah yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: That looks like the new Ford policy of the United States, and that has not been the United States. I think. Ever, certainly after we came to prominence after the end of or during World War Two. Certainly after it's in our interest to be the leader of the free work, not the boys.
Speaker 3: We got anything else. I'm not feeling good about this conversation. I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 4: Is that what we do here? No?
Speaker 2: Never, I almost never feel good about our conversations after.
Speaker 3: I want to thank Jonathan. Yeah, I can you.
Speaker 4: Tell us something about your book?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: By the way, please let me want I'll put it right here. I'll put it right here. A lot of my buddies do the write books, my stoic buddies and my national security buddies, because it's the same view as ABC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's right here above my shoulder. It's called Iran's Shadow Weapons, and it's about how they use covert action and intelligence operations both overseas and inside the country to achieve their foreign policy objectives. And it's unique because it's based on a bunch of stuff I got declassified for the first time, so a lot of it's former CIA cables, a lot of intelligence reports. Also, I translated a bunch of stuff out of VARSI that was from the regime itself that's been leaked to the public, and a lot of new analysis using those two sources that people never get to see. So it's almost a third of the book is just references because I put a ton of actual analytical horsepower behind it. My idea was to kind of create like an open source product that you would hope to see on the other side of the green door, you know, but with materials available to the public.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put a link into the description for that, so if anyone's interested, please grab it. There also Jonathan's other book as well, about irregular Warfare, and uh Mick Moulroy. He's got a podcast called The pub and the Porch Applied Stoicism.
Speaker 3: Check that out.
Speaker 2: Those links are in the description. Jason Lyons links are in the description Muscles from Brussels. Uh Andy Milliburn's links are also in the description. And the best way to support the show is joining our Patreon. You get both Team House and Eyes On episodes at free and early and you help support the show. You can go to team the Patreon dot com slash the Teamhuse. Any and all information is in the link. The links are in the description. John as always, Thank you man. That's this is great. Make Jason YouTube awesome. We'll obviously keep an eye on it, Iran and what happens, we'll keep you guys posted. Thanks Thanks a lot, guys, Thanks Thanks Chance.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, I want to tell all of you today about a new newsletter that we're launching that encompasses both the Team House podcast, the eyes On podcast, and the high Side News outlet, which I run with Sean Naylor. The newsletter is gonna be once a week. It's gonna come into your inbox and you're gonna get the most current podcasts on eyes On and the Teamhouse and whatever's topical or current on the high Side. So it's another way for us to get the information out to you as social media algorithms are pretty iffy and you never really know what you're gonna get. So this is a once a week email. It'll slide into your inbox and it will have you know the greatest hits of that week. It's really good. Checking it out. The website for it is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash join Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash join. You go there and you enter into your email list or you enter your email into the little thing on the website and you're good to go, and that'll be it. So we really appreciate your support and hope you'll consider signing up up.
Speaker 4: Where's the link?
Speaker 5: The link will also be down the description if you're looking for it.
Speaker 6: There, And that's Teamhouse Podcast, dot kit k I, t Kilo India, Tango dot Com, Backslash Join