Speaker 1: Welcome in to Clippers Talk. Fourth episode so far this week. I'm your host, Adam Oslan. Appreciate all the new viewers, the new listeners. We're still a podcast. People are asking about that. You can still find it on Spotify, iTunes. iHeart wherever you consume just your podcasting. But now there's a YouTube as well. Started this about three weeks ago, almost up to two K followers. I am shocked as well. I appreciate everyone, and I think it's because not me, but the great guests we have had on, including this man who's joining me today. You find him at LA Clippers Film on X and Twitter. We had his brother on last week. And like his brother and like coach Lou, this man also has a beautiful basketball mind. It is Justin Wilson joining me here on Clippers Talk. Justin, my friend, How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, man, Thank you for the kind words. Nice to be on with You're me, Oh.
Speaker 1: Come on you and your brother big time. You guys are two of my basketball north stars. I look to you guys when it comes to analysis and understanding the game at a high level and understanding what it means to win in today's league and how you do that, And I think we'll talk about that here because I know one of the subjects I brought up with you that I wanted to discuss was just life without Paul George, as they're leaning into that now. As he made the decision to go to Philadelphia, I was pulling up the offensive and defensive ratings for the two man lineup of Kawhi Leonard next to James Harden, and I just wanted to get more in depth on what that is going to look like because I know, you know, not just the analytics, but you can break down the film. You can break down the flare screens, the Spain pick and rolls, all that. You see it well and you see it on La Clippers film on X because Justin Wilson is very good at these things. So how do you think they're going to run the offense with those two? And just what can we look forward to because we heard in that report that came out from Home on ESPN yesterday that coach lou already has what three hundred plays that he has drawn up that are new plays that don't have Paul George on the court. He's built like that, He's a basketball genius that he is always thinking the game. So what principles do you think they're going to have out there now that they know this is the duo, it's the twenty one Blackjack duo with Kawhi and James harden As I think Jamal put it, So what can we look forward to expecting from those guys?
Speaker 2: Offensively, did he really coin the phrase twenty one blackjack for them?
Speaker 1: I don't know one of you guys put it out there. I thought I thought it was Jamal he said twenty one.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, that's pretty good. You know. I think a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Is going to depend on how the Clippers go about supporting those two guys, right. I think when you lose Paul George, and you know, I've been critical of Paul George, but you just it's it's impossible to replace a six ' nine shooter of that degree.
Speaker 3: You know, he's.
Speaker 2: A he's an all time great shooter and you know for the past five years. Offensively, that is a big part of how we get to what it is that we want to do with his facing. And I think even for Tyler Low, it's going to be an adjustment because he more than any player that has come through this organization in the last five years has honestly been the most valuable, right, Like, he's the one that can come off of single doubles, he's the one that can space in the corner.
Speaker 3: He's the one that, if need be, can take the on ball reps as well.
Speaker 2: And so without him, I think it's you're going to see a way more diverse package. It may not, it's probably won't mean that it's better, but you'll see a lot more or Zoo post ups, just straight Zoo post ups. You know, you'll see a lot of like Derrick Jones Junior running in crashing on the offensive glass. Hopefully you'll see uh, let's go yeah, yeah, that's my guy. I was watching them at him on Rico Hines runs. He looks pretty good. But like it's it's it's very hard, honestly to picture how the spacing is going to work. If you know you're starting Zoo and you're starting Terrence Man and I assume you're probably starting with Derrick Jones Junior next to Kawhi Leonard, maybe that's like that's gonna be tough on the spacing. So I think in a lot of ways, their defense is going to be their offense. Now, you know, you hope that Zoo and Terrence Man with increased usage can kind of bolster a little bit of a leap right where where you lose Paul George, but you get rim pressure, more rim pressure from Terrence Man, more rim pressure and opportunities from Sue. But I think in particular the offense, hopefully you get more room pressure. But really it's the defense with Gunn and Zoo and Terrence and Derek Jones Junior and hopefully Kawhi Leonard is back to being himself that turns into your offense. So you might see a slippite on the offensive end, but the defensive end is where you're going to get more stops, which should allow you to score a bit more efficiently in transition for all three.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Justin Wilson is our guest brother of Jamal Christopher who we had on last week. Both guys, you get better the jam the podcast say the best for last bro on first here. I love you both, and I do have to come clean. One of you guys came up to me at a game last season and I just had to play it off like my guy what's up.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you're identical twins, And it probably was him.
Speaker 3: He went to more games than I did last It probably was him.
Speaker 1: You mentioned losing Paul George, and there's no way to replace that productivity, especially coming off the year that he had. I think it was you, and I have quoted you, so I've given you credit for this. Regardless that said, they were using him like Michael Porter Junior on steroids last season, the way he was playing off ball next to James Harden, whether he liked that role or not, and it seemed like.
Speaker 2: I think I think he Oh, I didn't mean to interrupt, but like, I think he's just a conflicted guy. But like he went to Philadelphia and he's going to play a very similar role, and you know, hopefully that's a sign of self awareness for him as far as like where he's at in this stage of his career, much more of a play finisher. So I mean, you know, it makes sense why he had his most efficient season ever as a third option, being almost exclusively a play finisher instead of like a play a shot creator.
Speaker 1: You know, what did it surprise you? I mentioned the lineup data the two man lineup data. Last season, James Harden and Kawhi Leonard were on the court for about sixteen hundred minutes. Their offensive rating was one nineteen. It's nice, defensive rating one twelve, you know, a plus seven net rating. James Harden next to Paul George actually had a little bit better of an offensive rating at one twenty two. Almost defensive rating about the same. And it seemed like early on the season we were looking at of the four stars and former stars and MVPs with Russell Westbrook in the mix, then who coach Lou was trying to pair with who, And eventually it seemed like you saidtled on Kawhi next to James Harden more right? Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 3: No? No? Absolutely? Ye.
Speaker 1: So why do you think that was and how do you think that could translate and carry over to them putting up higher efficiency numbers this season?
Speaker 3: Well, well, I think you know.
Speaker 2: The thing with Paul last year, and I'm pretty sure Tyler was spoken about this before he can come and go, he can float, he can get lost a little bit. And you know, Paul George is a player that Tylu has hammered to wanting to be more aggressive and so I think by pairing him with a player that he's most comfortable with as far from a point guard perspective, a player who can kind of galvanize him a bit and get him going, maybe get some of that okay, see energy going.
Speaker 3: I think that was the idea, right Like, if.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have Russell Westbrook on ball, pair him with somebody who's had success with him before and Paul George and I think, you know, for Paul, I'm pretty sure that's something that he desired to write like he was. He's somebody that wanted Russell Westbrook here. So I think all of that went into play. As far as how James and Kawhi Leonard as a pairing goes this year.
Speaker 1: Because they both play at their own pace. They're those type of guys.
Speaker 3: Their own pace aka slow extremely.
Speaker 1: I think their pace was ninety six when I looked at the numbers.
Speaker 2: It really just it really both of those guys at this point of their careers depend on the support of each other as far as shot making is concerned, right like, like James Harden, I think, if I'm not mistaken, career low attempts and shot at the rim right like like Kawhi Leonard has has gradually lost a little bit of a verse from his prime. So like, I think those two together it's gonna be a ton of like over the top shot making because honestly, I you may, you may throw Norm in there with them, but then the defense starts to suffer, so it won't it won't really be perfect. But those two guys I'm kind of envisioned. I kind of envisioned hopefully we see more two man action with him as far as like James and Kawhi playing two man pick and roll type stuff to where you know, you can't switch a small on to Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 3: And and that can kind of get the change moving.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things that is like a hallmark of NBA offense is whatever it is that you can do to create that man advantage right to give yourself the best opportunity to get the most efficient shot. And so that could be something that the Clippers honestly go to a lot.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking like top of the key pick.
Speaker 2: And rolls with Kawhi and Harden, or empty corner pick and rolls with Kawhi and Harden.
Speaker 3: You know, without Paul, I think they can stand to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, hopefully, as Louke ty Lewis kind of suggested, they're going to explore those things. And I think if you're going to play without Paul, if you're going to play with some non shooters, you can start to get the chains moving offensively by doing some stuff like that. As far as that two.
Speaker 1: Man game is concerned, James Harden's just turned thirty five. Is there any fear of trepidation that they will be relying on him too much this season? With losing too high use whatever you want to say about Paul George and Russell Westbrook's passing ability, they still have the ball in their hands a lot, and now it seems like Moore is going to be on the plate of James Harden.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you should hear the debates that my brother and I have regarding James Harden and the fact that he just turned thirty five.
Speaker 3: And I'm terrified. I am petrified.
Speaker 2: He was someone in my opinion, who over the last thirty eight games of last year, really started to show like some serious aging and like there were games where he need only score like four points. And he is someone that in my opinion, at this stage of his career. You want him to have less responsibilities, not more, And so that kind of made the Paul leave it. Letting Paul George go for nothing kind of awkward to me if the goal is to like seriously win, because I don't trust that James Harden at this stage of his career can do some heavy lifting on the offensive side of the ball, which, honestly, with the amount of spacing or lack thereof, that the Clippers might forecast this upcoming season, you're gonna need James Harden to not just be that guy that's coming off of pick and rolls just looking for other people he's going to have to score. Last year, I thought at the high points of the season it correlated with James Harden being an aggressive player looking for his own shots. I think when we started oh and five, oh and six or whatever, when we first got him, one of the things that helped turn the corner was that James Harden started looking for his own more. And I think that's easier to do when you have Kawhi Leonard and Paul George next to you. But when you take away one of those twenty three point per game players and you don't replace him at all. It makes it really tough. So I'm petrified at what James Harden looks like. Maybe not at the start of the season, but as we get to game twenty.
Speaker 3: Five thirty thirty five forty.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think that he'll have any issues from a durability perspective, but the opponency offensively is what really concerns me.
Speaker 1: That's interesting what you just said, because I think a lot of people would see that as counterintuitive. They would say, well, if he's playing next to Kawhi and Paul George, he's going to be less aggressive out there. He's going to take less shots and maybe feel like he doesn't have as much of a green light. But you're saying, actually, that makes things easier for him because he gets more one on one coverages, he gets more advantages on the offensive end to lead to more efficient possessions. He Alwalys took eleven shots per game last season as a Clipper. I was arguing with someone on twitters you'll find me doing sometimes at follow out of May recently, that he's not going to get up more than I think seventeen shots per game this season. They were saying somewhere between seventeen and twenty. I was saying somewhere between you know, fifteen and seventeen. To me, seventeen is the max. I just this stage of his career, even though yes, he used to do that a lot. I don't think he's done it. I don't think he's gone over sixteen point eight shots per game his last four seasons or something like that. Where do you put him at shot attemp wise?
Speaker 2: Probably in that same range, like maybe thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: I think I think a lot of people kind of how can I say this?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people don't take into account like, oh, this player leaves, which means that this player gets more shots. But like that kind of isn't always how that works, right, Like he didn't take eleven shots last year strictly because he was playing with great talent. He took eleven shots last year because he was thirty four years old, and he has no burst anymore. He cannot get by anybody anymore, He can't get to the rim anymore, and he needs a ton of like assistance as far as like picking rolls just to honestly get his stuff off at this stage of his career and don't get me wrong. He's still obviously a tremendous talent, and he's still one of, in my opinion, one of the best point guards in the league. But if you think James Harden is going to take fifteen, sixteen seventeen shots lightly, either that won't happen or he'll be cooked by the All Star breaking because I don't.
Speaker 3: I think without.
Speaker 2: Paul George, right, his minutes are probably going to have to go up, especially without Paul George, I mean without Russell Westbrook as well, right, like us for whatever you want to say about Russell.
Speaker 3: Westbrook, he just played minutes, right, he played.
Speaker 2: And without Russell Westbrook, without Paul George, the responsibility on James Harden is harder and it's more and like those are going to be hard minutes, right, Like, he doesn't have anybody else to say, hey, you run the offense because that's not what Kawhi Leonard does, That's not what.
Speaker 3: He wants to do.
Speaker 2: So he can't throw the ball to Russell Westbrook's possession and say hey, you create, or he can't go to the bench and look at Russell Westbrook create offense. He can't say, hey, I'm running this for Paul George, you created, No, it's going to be him. He has an increased level of responsibility and that is fatigue inducing, and that that's going to It caught up to him last year over the last like thirty five to thirty seven games, and I don't know if it happened again, but I wouldn't be surprised because going into his age thirty five season, it just doesn't logically, you don't that doesn't get better as you get older, being able to handle more responsibility without getting more fatigue, you know, by the time catches us all.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a fair point. There was about a month and a half stretch there a late January into early March with the Clippers were around five hundred, and it seemed to be precipitated by the fact that James Harden didn't look the same. You brought up the numbers. I saw you put out a tweet for that. But I will say this, I don't know if it was so much he's gassed, he's done, he's cooked, because he did look different in that playoff series, first wise, overall energy wise.
Speaker 2: So that is I was telling my brother, that's precisely the point, right, Like he had a week off before the playoffs and then had multiple two day rests in between those games. So like, if you're giving me James Harden where he can get a week off or have multiple times during the season where he's where he's playing every two or three days, then yeah, I think he would fare much better. But like I definitely could be wrong because he's just that talented of a player. We're talking about one of the seventy five greatest. I remember games against Indiana or Atlanta last year where he was just he was He looked like Vintas James Harden, where you know he'll always be able to go to his pound ribble, step back type of type of game. But yeah, I thought in the playoffs he looked tremendous. But I wasn't all that surprised because he got way more rest. There was no back to backs, two day breaks, multiple two day break in an entire week leading up to the playoffs, you know, So we'll see.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's a fair point. But I'm getting a text from your brother Jamal. He says, you're mischaracterizing my argument.
Speaker 2: No, I'm playing.
Speaker 1: I also saw this tweet review at LA Clippers film. Regarding Kawhi Leonard, you said, I don't know how many games is safe for Kawhi Leonard to play this upcoming season, But I am intrigued at the thought of Kawhi Leonard, who has to take more of a volume approach to offense. How much do you think as I look, I want to say he was at eighteen shots per game somewhere.
Speaker 3: There, which is pitiful honestly.
Speaker 1: For someone as efficient as him. Now you expect it. Ooh, it was at seventeen shots per game out Paul George was there, Russell Westbrook was getting ten shots in twenty minutes per night. How much could the efficiency dip if he's getting up, you know, twenty twenty one shots all of a sudden. And do you think he will get to that type of mark?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do think he'll get to that that kind of a mark. I don't know if it's in the best interest of him physically, because, like James Harding, you want less responsibility on Kawhi Leonard at this stage of his career than more, because as he showed physically last year, right like sixty plus games of Kawhi Leonard taking a hard twenty plus shots at night is probably going to burn him out. Like, like, I don't want to jinx the guy and say he's gonna get injured next year. You never can't predict those things. But like, I don't know how advantageous at this point of his career it'd be for that. But at the end of the day, you know, when the ball is rolled out and you're trying to win games, the best route for this Clipper team to win games is going to be him taking way more of and a selfish approach to offense. And you know, I don't think Kawhi gets enough credit for his unselfishness, right, Like, he is someone that could hijack an offense and he could do a lot more from a from a field goal to tim perspective. So I definitely think he's going to have to take out of sheer necessity. He's going to take twenty shots a game, maybe even maybe a fraction more. But I don't think his efficiency is going to suffer all that much simply because he's just that great of a player. He's he's someone that, like you know, I'm a little pessimistic on how good we can be going into this season. But I'm not pessimistic about that guy. You know, last year, once again when he was healthy, he showed you that he can rise to an MVP level. And if there's any optimism with the Clippers, to me, it's the fact that you're getting a Kawhi Leonard who's going to be shooting more. Because for all of the flaws of the Clippers roster, you can hide those by Kawhi Leonard simply.
Speaker 3: Being a superhero taking and making those.
Speaker 2: Superhero esque shots that only he and a couple of others in the league and taken me at a relatively efficient value. So I'm I'm sewing this is one of the most exciting parts of next season seeing Kawhi Leonard actually approach the season like a superstar, right, Like he's he's way too good to be shooting seventeen Like you just said. Russell Westbrook took ten shots in like twenty minutes and Kawhi Leonard is taking seventh like co on Like, I'm so I'm anxious to see what he does.
Speaker 3: How many years has it been. It has to have been like four or five years.
Speaker 2: Since he's taken like twenty shots, So I'm I'm anxious that's one of the most exciting subplots of the season for me.
Speaker 1: Regarding Kawhi, I should say, just to be fair so no russ stands come after me, it was only nine point eight shots per game in this twenty two and a half minutes per game. I want to be accurate with that. The last time or the most shot attempts Kawhi is taken as a Clipper was his first year at nineteen point nine attempts, so basically twenty shot attempts per game. You mentioned being pessimistic on this season, I would say, overall pretty realistic, and this tweet underlines that you said the LA Clippers win eighteen to nineteen to end last season. James Harden during that time was averaging sixteen points on forty percent shooting from the field over his last forty games, and then they lost Paul George. They didn't replace him. The sixth seed last year won forty nine games in the Western Conference. What needs to happen then for them to somehow stay out of the play And we've talked about James, We've talked about Kawhi. I think the biggest key is Big Zoo. If Big Zoo takes that step, as you mentioned earlier, with him getting more post touches and more opportunities, he's got to play over thirty minutes a night. That mitigates some of the backup center minutes right there issues Just where are you at with him and what they need from Terrence Man two guys that are extension eligible coming into this season.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't tell you how much of a fan I am of Zoo and how much it pisses me off that they just don't explore his individual office.
Speaker 1: For my god, there's an easier way to win games.
Speaker 3: And it's.
Speaker 2: Like we're playing pick and roll looking for switches, and like he's the man advantage right, Like that's two points right at the back.
Speaker 3: He has one of the best touches in basketball.
Speaker 2: He's huge, and on a night to night basis, I honestly think he has an advantage to the point where, you know, I kind of talk about like moving the chains offensively, right, Like everything doesn't have to be a James Harden step back three, or James Harden pick and roll, or or a Kawhi Leonard isolation into a long two. Like obviously those guys can do that, but like you're not gonna get very far if those are the shots that you're taking.
Speaker 3: And so I think I think.
Speaker 2: Excuse me Zoo is a way that we can diversify the way we approach offense. And you know, it's it's just criminal the way that the Clippers have kind of ignored his growth as an offensive player. And you know, I was very proud to see what he did against the Dallas Mavericks and I don't think that was abnormality.
Speaker 3: Or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I think he's totally capable of doing something similar.
Speaker 3: To that on a night in and night out basis.
Speaker 2: And it's going to be pivotal because you know, Paul George didn't provide much and so with somebody like Terrence Mann who who who is, as you said, extincion eligible. He's going to be playing for a new deal. I'm anxious to see him in a in a more in a role with more responsibility, because that's someone who can knock down thirty seven percent of his streets and he never misses at the basket. And so those two guys are are two pathways, honestly to avoid the play. And they've got to have like some incredible seasons now relative to what we're expecting from them. They have to play kind of above expectation. But this may be the Clipper bias in me. I think it's in their wheelhouse, especially Zoo. Especially Zoo. I don't want to put a limit on how good he can be because it seems like he can make every every eight foot floater, every jump hook with either hand.
Speaker 3: He's got all of that in his bag.
Speaker 2: So Tyleru, I know he wants to. He was talking about how we're how we're gonna approach offense without Paul George. It starts with Zoo. It starts with Zoo. Like like it starts with Zoo. He's gonna have the advantage. And the more you ignore him, the harder the offenses. And you know, to tie it back to what we were talking about earlier, you don't want to burn James Harden out. You don't want to burn Kawhi Leonard out. One of the easiest ways to do that is make Zoo a feature offensive player.
Speaker 1: Well spoken, perfectly said. I have lost some hair pulling it out overseeing games where beats the zoobots has a really strong few minutes and then just go away from them, and the amount of times they have said we're gonna try to get Zoo more involved, and it will last a game or two or a quarter or two, and then they just forget about Zoo. I say it all the time, but I will do that doctor dre parody. At some point forgot about Zoo. I don't know why it keeps happening. He's too good. What does he need to average for them to get the sixth spot? I'm thinking around seventeen and ten.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's literally down to the exact number, is what I was about to say.
Speaker 3: Seventeen and ten, maybe even eighteen, right, Like, I just get greedy again.
Speaker 2: My brother and I we've been debating about this, and like the Western Conference is really really tough, Like you know, you're talking about just in the Clippers Division, You've got like the.
Speaker 3: Lakers and the Warriors.
Speaker 2: These aren't teams that aren't gonna win the champions, but like they you've got to play them eight times.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to play Phoenix four times as well.
Speaker 2: And I think Phoenix if they're healthy, like they won forty nine games last year.
Speaker 3: You know, like you've got the Simberwolves.
Speaker 1: Sacramento is not bad either. In the packagem PAC is one of the best divisions at all sports.
Speaker 2: Right, So when you're talking about when you're talking about avoiding to play it, that's a tall act. And so if you're going to avoid the play in, you need somebody to play way above expectations and I think Zoo is the prime candidate to do that because he has the skill set, he has the size. I'm kind of surprised they haven't got an extension done with him by now, so maybe he can be motivated to play for a bigger.
Speaker 3: Number, which can help.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, if we're going to avoid the play in, I don't see how it happens without Zoo having a monster season. And like, I'm not saying he needs to be an All Star, but when you talk about the best sinners in the Western Conference at the All Star break, Zoo's name has to come up.
Speaker 3: If name.
Speaker 2: If Zoo's name is coming up in those conversations, then that suggests that the Clippers are playing above expectations and they could fight for that for that sixty.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To act like there's a net positive of losing Paul George because there's not. But is there any area or intangible you see that they could be better at. I saw you retweet the THEO Ratliff thing talking about him doing the little things and the defense he would play, and it seems like there's this, I don't know, misunderstanding of who Paul George is on a night to night basis, quarter to quarter basis. There's a lack of consistency. There are things he can do. A lot of people will say and I think it's the best way to scry Paul George. The idea of Paul George often isn't reality doesn't They don't line up often enough. Just is there one area or one little thing here and there the Clippers could be a little bit better at. Besides, you know, lessening the turnovers.
Speaker 3: Let's let the fuck turn over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said that my apology.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I think it's the defense. I think it's the defense and more than anything, the activity. If you if if you're paying attention to watching Paul George play, he wasn't just providing lift service when he said that, Like you know, when they lost Niko Batoum, they lost. He didn't want to do the dirty work. He literally his rebounding rate has declined significantly, right, Like, he's just not the active guy that you know it used to be. He was not the guy guarding Kawah I mean guarding Kyrie Irving or Lupadancis.
Speaker 3: He wasn't that guy anymore. And so if there.
Speaker 2: Is a positive to losing Paul George, one is that other guys get the opportunity to expand their wings a bit as far as like what they could do on offense, right, Like, if Zu has.
Speaker 3: That in him, he'll be able to display that.
Speaker 2: If Terrence has a late twenties jump, he'll be able to display that. But really it's the defensive side of the ball, right, If you are replacing Paul George, you're replacing him with Nico Batoum.
Speaker 3: You're replacing him with.
Speaker 2: Derrick Jones Junior Chris Dunn can guard up and down a few positions. It's an in conjunction with Terrence Mann and Kawhi Leonard, you all of a sudden have an incredibly long and active defensive team, and on that side of the ball, they should be much better.
Speaker 3: He's not a guy who's rebounding anymore.
Speaker 2: He's not a guy who's taking the big assignments consistently on the defensive side of the ball. So I think we can be a bit more active without him. I think that's fair to say. And yeah, I think Philly who will learn that like Paul George is closer to three.
Speaker 3: And D than like Superstar. You know, and you know it's it's a lot of money to pay for a.
Speaker 2: Guy who doesn't rebound anymore, and doesn't guard the team's best player anymore, and doesn't actually lead create for others anymore.
Speaker 3: But that's another story.
Speaker 1: Your brother said he could easily make the argument that the Clippers got the better end of a pseudo trade. Basically, with James Harden coming from Philly to the Clippers, with Paul George going to Philly from the Clippers. They weren't traded for each other, but two players swapping teams. Would you agree with that that you could easily make the argument that the Clippers got the better end of that deal. No, oh, interesting.
Speaker 2: No, you know it's the and the reason why is because Paul George, again, for all of his faults, he's still six ' nine. He's still going to be a plus defender if just for his size alone, and he's still very easy to plug and play right like you can get you can you can design any sort of like offense, and he'll be able to fit right in right like he can be a flour spacer, he can come off a single doubles, he can come off of like your floppy action you can initiates. He brings way more versatility on both sides of the ball than Harden. Even if Harden in the vacuum probably had a better season than James Harden.
Speaker 3: I think on a macro level, I think.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about like that hypothetical trade for each other, the Clippers with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard would have probably been better off for next season than Kawhi Leonard and James Harden, simply because I just don't have the faith that James Harden will be able to hold up for the course of eighty two. So, like, if you're telling me James Harden is going to play sixty five plus games and maintain thirty eight percent from three.
Speaker 3: And like forty four overall.
Speaker 2: And give me eighteen to twenty a game of like nine to ten assistant, yeah, definitely, But I just don't think in his age thirty five season that's in the cards for him, I value the last thirty eight games very very much like and again, that doesn't get better as you get older, it only gets worse.
Speaker 3: More likely than that so.
Speaker 2: Fun hypothetical, but I would probably choose Paul George not for just pure raw talent, but more so bid or Can and.
Speaker 1: Abel identical twins like justin Jamal, I don't think they were. I don't have to brush up on the old Testament here. I do want to ask about Norman Powell and how large of a role he has to have to make up for some of the shot making and shot creating. I know he's kind of a catch and shoot guy and then get it and go to his right for a quick layup, a quick decision maker on the offensive vent. You don't want him playing with his food too much or taking too long and trying to get into his bag. But he is vital. It feels like coming into this season and I've always felt like, well, Norm has a lot of limitations. He doesn't do much else well but score. I don't want to give him the Chris Carter treatment. All he does is catch touchdowns or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Scoring.
Speaker 1: It turns out not all skills are created equal in the NBA, and scoring is a really important one. And he can hit some shots that are a high degree of difficulty type shots. And he's had a forty point game in the playoffs for the Clippers. Just how important and vital.
Speaker 3: Is he to this season now?
Speaker 2: I think over the course of eighty two games, he's going to be vital because I don't I think with Paul George being absent, the margin for error is slimmer. So games where you're playing against I don't know, a healthy Charlotte Hornets team where you're thinking that's an easy w those games are ten to twenty percent harder. And those are the games where you need Norm Pou to just have a twenty two point game right where you can get away with his limitations because of the fact that they're like the Hornets or I don't know, the Atlanta Hawks or something like that. He becomes much tougher to like to play heavy minutes against the actual good teams, the teams that will require him to defend and rebound and things like that at which aren't his like strong suits. But I think over the course of an eighty two game season, what he brings in his value is very similar to last year, honestly, as far as somebody who can come off the bench and just move the chains along for like a six minute shift to get some buckets, but very But the way I look at Norm Powell is this team's margin for error is just so short or just so small that like when we play teams that you think we're supposed to be, those are the games that are all of a sudden harder this year, and if we're going to avoid the play in, those are games you cannot lose, right, Like, you have to win both games against the Hawks, you have to win both games against the Hornets, you have to win like all three or four games against the Blazers that you're playing.
Speaker 3: You have to win your games.
Speaker 2: Against the Jazz, And if you take care of your business in those games, that puts you almost right in the driver's seed, right because like hopefully you punk above your weight class and steal some of these games against these other great teams. But those are but those teams that I mentioned are the teams you really want to lock in on. And I think North poll is just essential to those games because you can get away with his weaknesses against those games and he can go a long way towards making sure that you win the game that you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: I brought up the coach Lou comment coming out of a team in USA yesterday in an article by Ohm for ESPN covering the Clippers, and that quote that he had saying he can't wait to prove everybody wrong. Is that meaningful to you? Like? Is that something that can get them a few more wins just an even more motivated coach Lou Or is that just something that gives fans a little bit more hope, a little something to hold on to right now during a summer or still got two more months before real game start?
Speaker 3: She's two months Jesus.
Speaker 1: About October third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what he's supposed to say, right, like like he sees everybody projecting that the Clippers are going to miss the playoffs and we're gonna win forty forty two and forty like.
Speaker 3: He sees it.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, I mean, Tylo is a competitor, right like, he incan extension. He's gonna be here for a while, and he doesn't want to coach a bad team. So I think with that quote, if you wanted to, if you wanted to take that that.
Speaker 3: Take and that quote and really dig in deep.
Speaker 2: It's the fact that he's going to chase wins more, right, Like, this team's margin for era isn't such that like, Oh, I'm only gonna play Kawhi Leonard thirty two minutes tonight, Like you can't do that, like if you're serious about winning.
Speaker 3: So if you're trying, Like if we're gonna take.
Speaker 2: That quote at face value and say, oh, he really wants to prove people wrong, it's going to come with like a chasing of wins, taking the regular season a bit more seriously. And what I've learned is that alone is responsible for three to five wins.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Just that approach every night that we have to win this game is is because not every team that are playing is going to have that approach, right. Some some teams may may be like, oh, we'll take this day off for this guy, or we're taking the long view.
Speaker 3: Because we have the talent to do so.
Speaker 2: And in my opinion, I don't think the Clippers have the talent to take games for granted. And I think that's what tylou is alluding to when he says we're going to prove people wrong. So hopefully that quote suggests that they're going to take this season extremely seriously, and I think that votes well for the Clippers win total.
Speaker 1: When you talk about playing to win every night, is there a way to do that but still get some of these young guys with upside like we've seen from Jordan Miller run.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one. That's tough. I think.
Speaker 2: I think Kobe is going to get an opportunity the position exactly exactly that, but like you know, with the way you're trying to chase wins, that'll be tough. But like we know Kawhi Leonard isn't going to play every night, we know Niko Batoum isn't going to play every night or play heavy minutes.
Speaker 3: So I don't immediately see.
Speaker 2: But that's what training campus for, right Like, that's what I mean he's doing. Jordan Miller's doing what he's supposed to do to try and crack the rotation, and I think he'll get his by sheer just being.
Speaker 3: On the team. He'll get his opportunity at some point.
Speaker 2: It's just hard to see it right now with the guys that are in front of him, and honestly, how serious the Clippers plan to take the regular season.
Speaker 1: If I told you the Clippers just trade for Zach Levine, what seed are they in the West. They didn't.
Speaker 3: I was like, they won't break something.
Speaker 1: I think you're a fan, like I am.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a cuge fan of Zach Levine, and and I think I think value and productivity sometimes gets underrated, right, like we tend to nick pick guys for what they can't do. That one is a great question, because are you giving me healthy Zach Lavine?
Speaker 3: Right, Like, he hasn't been healthy in a while, so like.
Speaker 1: Let's say he's good for sixty eight games a Kawhi. Leonard asked, sixty eight games, like we got at Kawhi last season, and he is prime Zach Levine from a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I put them top six.
Speaker 2: I put them top six, Like, yeah, I think if you're giving me that version of zach Levine, then I'm I'm definitely thinking I'm taking the high end on that because unlike Paul George, right, like Paul George is the better player than Zach Levine, but Zach is someone who he'll get it up from three man, like he's a he's a bona fide shooter like Paul George in that regard, and he's going to give you a little bit more of like pressure and a little bit more above the rim activity.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm I'm, I'm I'm rolling top six.
Speaker 2: If we were to get somebody like Zach Levine and he takes so much pressure off of James Harden and Kawhi Leonard, which is probably my biggest concern going into the season, is like we don't really have anyone else that can take the pressure off of those guys.
Speaker 3: They have to.
Speaker 2: Not only not only be play finishers, but they have to create the man advantage for other people. And like that's gonna be that's gonna be tough on them. Maybe not in the beginning of the season, but as we get towards the dog days of the regular season and we're in Indiana right a good a really good Easterconference team, Like.
Speaker 3: That's not that that game isn't gonna be easy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So stuff like that is where I'm like, man, it'd be helpful if we if we replace Paul George with somebody who could at least approximate his scoring a.
Speaker 1: Couple more for you here. Just you got into it with some people talking about retiring Paul George's jersey. You said you put out the initial suite. You said, he's not first in line with respect to getting his jersey retired, CP Blake eb. I agree with eb, but three time All Star, one time All NBA twenty seven to ten five in routes of the franchise only Western Conference Finals playoff run feels like very close to a no brainer. NBA teams retire guys jerseys for far less. I agree with you. I don't think people understand what it takes to get in the NBA Hall of Fame and what it takes to get your jersey retired in the NBA. The bar is much lower than people realized, because a lot of guys were pushing back against that, saying is that really enough? Well, I think for this franchise, it's probably more than enough. He's a top five Clipper, ever, right, I I.
Speaker 2: The way I see it, right, So, retiring jerseys is teams specific, right, they have their own criteria. The Lakers, for instance, you don't get her jersey retired until you make the Hall of Fame, right, you have to make the Hall of Fame to get your jersey retired if you're if you're an LA Laker. That's why Michael Cooper, once he got into the Hall of Fame, is now getting his jersey retired. But that's not the Clippers, right, Like you retire your team's great players. So like if you only have one Western Conference final in your entire team's history, you have to retire the guy who was a three time All Star for you and played on that team and at a fantastic playoff.
Speaker 3: Run to get you there. I don't I don't even understand.
Speaker 2: How anyone can push back against that, Like what are we doing if the best player on that team's playoff run, who got who made All NBA with you, who made three All Star Games with you?
Speaker 3: What are we doing if that guy can't.
Speaker 2: Get his jersey retired for the Clippers with all the rest like the Clippers are like the Clippers are my team. I will I went to the sports arena to watch games there, right, I was a junior Clipper playing at Normandy Park, like way before, way before when they were sponsored by like this Savici Motors back in the day, you know, like.
Speaker 3: That this is my this is my team, it's my home. But like you take their history, it just doesn't make sense that you would not retire.
Speaker 2: That guy who's who's a infidal part of the team's most successful season ever and even beyond that season, multiple All Star Games, all NBA's like over six thousand points. Like if you just put his resume up against the other Clippers, I guarantee you don't find that many ahead of him, you know. So, Like I said, I don't think he would be first in line. He wouldn't be the first guy that I would call, but he definitely would be on the short list. Easy, easy, without question. I'm not even thinking about it, like like no brainer is for sure.
Speaker 1: Blake Griffin, I think is first on the speed dial for.
Speaker 3: The y.
Speaker 2: It should be against the Suns on the twenty fifth, like we should do it, like open it into a dome that way, like that's how easy that is. And Chris Paul too, like I I don't. I don't see those guys obviously, those they're rarefied air for what they've done for this franchise. So I don't think no one would get pushed back for retiring their jerseys.
Speaker 3: At least I don't think but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand why you wouldn't retire Paul Georgia.
Speaker 3: What is the argument against it? I don't even understand it.
Speaker 1: He's called him the B team. Uh. If he continues to do that, maybe have second thoughts because he didn't end things well. And yeah, there's a real sour taste. Currently, you got to get further away from the situation. It just happened. It's too raw, So I can understand from that perspective, But long term, I think it's a no brainer. I'm with you, what are you most hyped for when it comes to the end to it?
Speaker 4: Don't in those bleed seats you want. You won't be bleeding at all, man, right, exactly like I think.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm more excited about the intimacy of it, right, Like I've only been there.
Speaker 3: My brother has been there more than me.
Speaker 2: But the one time that I went the arena struck me for how intimate it felt relative to for Bill dot Com arena, Like the everything feels way more closer to the game and like way more on top of the game. And so I'm excited to get to a game where the crowd is live and I can just imagine how pulsating, and how wow that's gonna be in comparison to the advantage or the lack of advantage that we had in that regard. So I'm anticipating that, Like I think the way that the arena has built, the intimacy of it all can only benefit the Clippers, And so I'm really looking forward to what it sounds like when.
Speaker 3: We've got a packed house and like.
Speaker 2: Everyone is rooting against like this will be the first time in a long time. I remember I went to Game six Clippers Jazz and that was the loudest I've ever heard a Clipper game, and that was incredible. And so I think the into a dome can be because of the way it's built. I think we can top that. And if we top that, I think we could have one of the best arenas in the league. So I'm looking forward to it. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.
Speaker 1: What about too, though, Well, that game makes me think that still wasn't even full capacity that Game six. There were still some restrictions going on that I've been saying the exact same thing. What I can't wait for is everyone to find out at once how loud the arena can get And I made this prediction with your brother and he agreed with me. So as I try to drive the wedge further between you guys, I want to see where you arrive on this. But I think it's going to get to a higher decibel level than any other arena in the NBA. I don't know how long it's gonna stay there every night, but I think at its best, at its loudest, it's gonna get to places no other arena can get to. Because Brian Semen said they had six thousand people scattered in there, and it was that something like one hundred and twenty decibels. One forty is a jet engine, one hundred and twenty. I remember Arco Arena when it was loud. That was one tag. Oh yeah, So I think it's built for this sound and having a real home court advantage.
Speaker 3: Honestly, yeah, I didn't. I didn't know. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Right as far as what you just said about how loud it's already gotten with Brian and there, so I'm maybe maybe obviously Utah can get pretty loud.
Speaker 1: Okay, soe he's loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like given the fact that this arena is the newest of them all, and we're taking inspiration from those arenas, and like, you know, there's the whole wall thing.
Speaker 3: We got the wall going.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to I got to take my seat at the wall just to see and why it's steep. It's incredibly steep, Like it's it's crazy, you.
Speaker 1: Felt like John Snow, Yeah, I'm on my watch here.
Speaker 3: It's sharp today. Man, nice, that's nice today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm look listen, I think at its best, at its peak performance.
Speaker 3: Right Like, if we were to get into the playoffs next.
Speaker 2: Year, there's no doubt in my mind we'd have the loudest arena in the league, almost by bar. And you know, for the for the fact that you could say that about a Clippers home arena is like still kind of like jarring to to like to take into take into account. So yeah, I'm that's what I'm most anticipating, and like, yeah, we we we got to get to we got to get to one forty decibels jet engine level. Baby, No, still, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Of inglewood.
Speaker 1: You know, Laker fans are punching air right now, and all sound is is vibration in the air. So they're just punching the sound, trying to fight back against the loudest that the clipper, that Clipper Nation is going to create into its elm last one for you here justin I never didn't ask your brother this one. Uh, best and worst thing about being an identical twin. I can't get the Morris brothers on for this one, so I.
Speaker 2: Figured, honestly, honestly, it's the the best and worst thing is probably the exact same answer, which is that he knows he knows everything about me, like like and sometimes that can be pretty annoying, you know, like like every all of our tastes is the exact same and literally virtually everything.
Speaker 3: It's almost like.
Speaker 1: Not James Harden, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but like I do love James Harden, though I do.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: That's Arteasers. That's Arteaser's finest right there. And I saw him as a senior in high school. I was just blown away how good he was.
Speaker 3: But no Beard, yeah, yeah, yeah, he had he was crazy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's the best and worst thing is the fact that, like, you know, I feel like I'm walking with someone who just imagine if you had someone else out there who was socialized in the exact same way as you. So everything you experience at the exact same ages throughout your life he experiences as well. So like you come to love the same music you love, you come to love the same women. Everything is like everything all of the taste is just like exactly the same. And so getting married, by the way, I guess that's one difference of ours.
Speaker 3: Like oh yeah, yeah, he loves her.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not the I'm not the biggest fan, but she's a She's a gorgeous gal. And I met Dave mcminnimon once and he was great to be so best wishes to their marriage. But like, yeah, he's a he'd be fan of he fans out over Malik Andrews.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't get it, but like.
Speaker 1: I think I've seen them at a few different times too.
Speaker 2: Yeah those are those are those are his Speaking of getting jerseys retired, he retired their jerseys right in his house.
Speaker 3: He would definitely do it.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure this is going to get back to Jamal, but like, yeah, he retires in Data's jersey and the Heartbeat, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Tom Hall on look out, I think that's Spider Man's name.
Speaker 3: He is justin.
Speaker 1: Wilson at La Clippers Film is where you find him, and he was the perfect guy to close out this week and Clippers Talk episodes. Unless there's breaking news tomorrow or this weekend. I'm going to do a Terrence Man deep dive coming up. I think I'll release on Monday. I don't care it's a holiday. I'm gonna get something else out there. I'm trying to be like locked on or something. Just get out as many pods as I can right now before the season starts. I figured this will be the hardest work. Once the season starts, there's stories, more game recaps and really.
Speaker 3: Okay, man is a struggle in the summer.
Speaker 1: This is cake too. I just bring on great guests like Justin Wilson and Jamal Christopher. I just sit back, can listen and enjoy the ride. Justin, thanks for doing this. Is there anywhere else people need to be following you.
Speaker 2: At Maybe maybe maybe in the future, we'll see if we can figure out some things. But that is that is uh, that's something that's been.
Speaker 3: In the worst for a while. We got to see if that can actually get off the ground.
Speaker 1: But JJ is out of the podcast game, so Jay and j JJ Reddicks out. You guys got to take over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe I can get a head coaching job right after. You know, you never know, but we'll see La Clippers film on Twitter. Reach out to me if I'm not and I'd like to think that I'm kind on there if if you guys are kind to me, so reach out.
Speaker 3: Let me know what's up. Man Clipper.
Speaker 1: You know he is Justin Wilson. For Justin Wilson. I'm Adam Moslin. This has been another edition of Clippers Talk. Love you guys, Talk to you soon.