Speaker 1: Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Everybody? Welcome to a new episode of my Canicast. I'm Canon Dave and I'm agree with. On today's episode, we have special guests Sky COO of Cairo's Labs. Thank you for joining us today, Sky, glad to be here. Hey, I'm excited to learn about lab testing, test results and everything you have going on at Chiros. It's our first time having testing facility on the podcast, so thank you for being the first one. Pretty stoked for that.
Speaker 3: But why was Chiros? Let's jump into why was Kiro started?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so our initial vision was we hear that there's a lot of problems with testing. My partner in starting this was originally going to do a grow but we figured back in the twenty one twenty two era that it might be better long term to do a lab. A lot more problems in that space. There's a lot of drama that's been happening with different testing. There was a giant Veritis recall, et cetera. So you know, where's the margin, right, like, where is the ability to create something that's that much better than the industry standard? It was a lab right? And the other thing too, is I remember being in college I mean everybody was smoking, but at that time, it wasn't really like common wasn't legal. Yeah yeah, right, So like I think back now, I see the legal product that we're testing in some of the variety and quality, and I'm like, man, one, when my buddies were all getting stuff that wasn't even tested, what was in it?
Speaker 3: You know, you don't know, you don't know.
Speaker 2: We had someone actually recently from Grace and DC and they have illegal shops out there and their products filled with like.
Speaker 5: They were finding like amphetamine, like.
Speaker 6: What like like what like so many types of things that you're just like not supposed to find a weed. And like I think about all the budd we used to get and like, you're absolutely right, Like that is the power of testing, right, Like I mean how long ago was that too? When you start it's like when your buddies were like when you first like saw.
Speaker 4: Weed, Like I'll twenty six and eighteen, that's when I was in college, right.
Speaker 5: And that's I mean, it's become so long even just in what was eight years. Yeah, it's coming. It's a whole new world. I feel like it's a whole new.
Speaker 6: Because even when it was first legal, there was no, like there was no testing, right, you know. I mean I feel like back then people were just like, this is how much TC is on here?
Speaker 4: You know. I don't even know of my friends knew if that was like something to check. They're just like, ah, weed, smoke it, yeah exactly, Well, yeah got it.
Speaker 6: It was hard enough just to get you already now, you know, but now you really know what you're putting in your system.
Speaker 5: So it's like it's a it's a.
Speaker 4: Blessing, right, and you think about all the folks that need this for medicinal purposes or not just the recreational purposes, and it's like, all right, well you already have issues, and the testing standards are kind of not great, right, so you have all this product going out there that's probably shouldn't be consumed, right. So that was kind of like, all right, lab that my partner being a medical doctor and me having a lot of the experience in other areas, it was a good fit to create something like this start making an actual impact.
Speaker 5: And I think I might have over Did you say what school you were at?
Speaker 4: Michigan State?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got Stay that's Small Green.
Speaker 3: That's my sister's alumni school too.
Speaker 5: Oh. Yeah, Michigan State.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, okay, so cool. No, I just I just had to ask because you know, it's a big thing in these days.
Speaker 3: And where's the lab located?
Speaker 5: Warren, oh Ship Home. That's where we grew up. That's that's awesome.
Speaker 3: That is right where we.
Speaker 5: Literally yeah, I mean that's where I still go visit my mom.
Speaker 4: North of eight Mile, which is always fun to tell people.
Speaker 3: There you go, That's it's always a good area.
Speaker 2: So so I want to jump into the meeting behind Cairo.
Speaker 3: Where did it come from?
Speaker 6: That's I was gonna, okay, yeah, I just want to make sure because we've definitely ruined some names before.
Speaker 5: What was the one that there.
Speaker 6: Was this brand called Hunah that we were calling it Hannah or something, and like we had no idea.
Speaker 3: You just don't know how to go, like an ig for finances ago who whuna?
Speaker 5: So yeah, under we love to find the meeting behind every brand, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a Greek origin, so it's about being at the perfect timing or the perfect opportunity. I could also be the god of opportunity in that sense, so a little bit different. Now, I don't think that of all the Greek words. People think of Kiros as one of them. But you know, for where we opened and the way that we built the lab, it really was like a situation of perfect timing for what we did. Why do you say that, because the market kind of shifted, right, So you had the initial wave of labs that were just hey, let's you know, sixteen hundred square foot closet with some used machines and you're printing money because there's so much demand for testing that you didn't really you could get away with whatever you wanted to.
Speaker 6: I mean, any market new is like that, you know what I mean. Cannabis was like that, Like, you know, it's not all well, plus.
Speaker 2: Are so many brands out there is how many licensed testing facilities that have you have?
Speaker 6: When you changed, it was forced so you had to get self tested. Everyone was like, well, shit, where do I go? You just Google testing?
Speaker 5: Like you know what I mean? It was word of mouth, you know, there.
Speaker 3: Was no you know, there was no relationship relationships to get those.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I guess you did come in at the right timing.
Speaker 4: We knew that by the time we'd actually start taking samples, you needed to be at a different professional level of quality, right, so you wouldn't be able to get away with one set of instrumentation. Down time would not be acceptable anymore. There'd be more competition in the market, So build better, bigger, resilient was kind of the way that we wanted to approach it. And not that all labs that started originally were not like that. There were some very good, notable labs, right, and we just kind of looked at that spectrum of what was available and what all. Right, we need to be on the high end of things because we want to be here for the long term. That's the way to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I.
Speaker 2: Respect that there's a lot that we hear cutting corners with the scandals.
Speaker 4: I can't look anywhere that there's an opportunity to make money. There's folks that will choose to operate their business in a way that's profitable the wrong way and it profitable the right way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shady, you know, it's just like, I don't know, there's always like, whenever something starts going, people are like, oh, how can we take advantage of.
Speaker 5: The system Exactly? Yep, come on, it's not ruining for everyone else.
Speaker 3: But I understand always a few bad apples, No, but see that's.
Speaker 5: That's still great. I mean just I mean.
Speaker 6: It's great to see that the cop that type of stuff is kind of gone away, but also kind of not And we'll get in that a little bit later. But it's just like there needs to be standardizing, you know, so that but I.
Speaker 2: Agree, I want to because we've we never were not familiar with the breakdown of testing, So a breakdown of testing cannabis, flower and then maybe concentrates like edibles like we have. We're not really familiar with it at all. Mean, we've heard about it, but give us some insight.
Speaker 3: Filet's that's a good.
Speaker 6: One because honestly, like especially like with different types of products, I'm very curious if like testing is different for different types of products class flower versus I mean, nowadays there's drakes, there's there's everything, you know, so sprays.
Speaker 4: Oils, tinctures, lotions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, and so much more like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, there's a certain set of products that are absolutely mandated to be tested. Right, It's going to be if you've got a THHC content, it's cannabis whatever. We all know that. Yeah, So with flour, you're gonna have to test for microbials. Right, so your total used in mold, your aspergillus which everyone loves and hates, and total coliforms, which is like, you know some of this bacterial related.
Speaker 5: Why do you say love and hate though?
Speaker 4: That's why for aspergillus?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I feel like the hate makes sense, But why do people love it?
Speaker 4: I don't know if there's as much. It's an ironic thing I think where it's like, oh, you know aspergelists fail, but the rules say if there's a single and if there's a single spore of aspergillis and like a fifty pound batch, which it fail, how do you find that?
Speaker 5: Right? Yeah? Yeah, like one little.
Speaker 4: And that's literally you can't find it without the entire You've got nothing left, right like? So, or if you have, you know, a bunch of pre rules and one of them has above a failing or one of them has a spore and what the others don't like? Which one did we happen to use for the aspergillis test? So it's it's a love and hate thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like, is that's something you'd have to identify exactly? It sounds like it's not just something that's throughout right now I see, I see, like.
Speaker 4: We're not too opposed to it, because you know, I love Yeah, I'm always curious. We we have, I guess, some positive view on the aspergelist testing because we have a lot of unique things we do in the lab that helps us compete against other labs where it's like you're having Aspergillus fails somewhere else, you're frustrated. You don't know if it's you or it's the lab. We have a lot of different ways to actually like test and verify like do you do you have should you be failing for this? And so we're able to pull this.
Speaker 6: Could also be from labs that's interesting, from like past. I don't know, it could be from any source. I see what you're saying. It's it's speculative, right, right, I see.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's cool. That's cool to break down. So there's that test, you do microbials, and then like, so what else is there? Because I mean, obviously I want to talk about terpenes, yes, but give there's canbinoids, well anything else.
Speaker 4: So after microbials, you've got heavy metals, right, So that's nickels led those kinds of contaminantcy stuff, right, for flower, You're then going to have potency pesticides. Uh, and that kind of rounds out most of the tests. You do not have to test solvents, residual solvents and flower. I believe terpens is not required. We we know, but there was a there was a rule proposed where terpins can required.
Speaker 6: Well, and honestly, we honestly like everything that's a fl X becomes a standard because it's like, you know, you got to take it to that next level. I TC is not necessarily it's dying out. GC is very important. Everyone still sells, but I think there's another demographic of people who want to know that flavors the terps, right, And I did see that on your website. You know that it's like free turp testing. Yeah, And because we've heard that was the excuse of many companies of that, like, oh, it costs extra.
Speaker 5: Money, we can't afford it, we can't do it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, okay, I mean I get it, you know, overhead overhead, but like that's a really cool thing.
Speaker 5: I don't know if every lab does that.
Speaker 4: No, not at all. So when one of the things that when we were about to open, we looked at what's the landscape and what are people complaining about? Everything's THHD driven Okay, what else could drive it?
Speaker 3: Terms?
Speaker 5: Fact?
Speaker 4: Why don't terms?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's gate kept by like twenty five dollars extra on the test. Okay, we'll just make it free from the day we start.
Speaker 6: Twenty five dollars, that's all they were saying to me. Well, you know when it's like money's money, But I get it.
Speaker 4: If your test is like three fifty d four hundred dollars and it's an extra twenty five bucks for something you don't need and you just did ten tests that week, that's two hundred and fifty bucks, right, So then.
Speaker 5: That makes sense. No, I mean good to break it down for it.
Speaker 4: But it was fun. We started making it free from day one, and people got pissed. Our competition, some of them got pissed, and then they had to do it too, so we achieved what we wanted. It's starting to you know, it's good.
Speaker 5: People should free since day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the biggest things that we uh check out late when brands don't have some of the terpenes on the package. You right, come on, yeah, just get the terpenes there I mean, it's good to have it, but we'll be diving more than the turpens. I want to go back to uh testing for concentrates. So is there different testings? How you do counstraightts? And it was like a process to test the country, So like do you do you?
Speaker 3: How do you? How do you? How do you get the results out of that chatter or rosin?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so everything is kind of all the same between the matrices in terms of like matrices with the word that we use to all describe like the edibles, the concentrated distill it and a flower. Right, so we're gonna go to the facility sampled that stuff. There's a different way we sample those things. If it's a jar of distalatet oil, we're using like a syringe is a good way to pull it. If it's like hash rosen or some of the other stuff, Like we're just trying to get little pieces of the whole batch.
Speaker 6: Right, like from different parts and you can put together for the test. Oh, that's awesome, Which that's really that that's how I mean that seems more true. Yeah, exact, I'm not sure that's how everyone does it. They might that's not how everyone they might take their top nugs and be like, haha, exactly, see.
Speaker 5: Oh shit, I never even thought about that.
Speaker 4: So you know, if you've had a giant stack of pre rolls sitting for a little bit and you only take the top ones that are dry, you probably won't pass. You probably won't fail for mold versus if you take some of the ones lower down that have been sitting and festering a little bit.
Speaker 5: It seems like there's some loopholes.
Speaker 6: But I mean that's but that's just like knowing the science behind it. Also, you know, I don't think everyone knows that game. You know, there's a there's a huge science aspect behind I mean obviously there's biology, you know in botany, and but like there is chemistry now, and you're going to the labs as stuff, especially with concentrates liarly chemists out here, you know, when you go to these solved labs especially yeah, these exploding rooms or whatever.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'll stick to the press. That's much safer at home.
Speaker 4: Once you grab all this stuff and it gets to the lab, we're weighing and splitting it all out and to different pieces. So we have got a piece that's going to go towards each prep process. We have to the different tests, but they all end up turning into basically liquid in a vial, and at that point they're all kind of the same.
Speaker 6: Right, Oh, so when you're testing constraints, they all basically get to a little bit more of like a more liquid states.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like we're using some acids or solvents or chemicals to just break it down and try to get what we want out of it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So, like if we're getting to metals prep, trying to get a little vial that we can run on the instrument that will detect metals. I don't care if there's other stuff in it. I'm just getting it down so that I can detect the metals in it, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, so you know what you're putting into it so you can exploite it.
Speaker 3: Mean that means your flour and edical's turn into a liquid as well.
Speaker 4: Because yes, exactly, So we break it down essentially. Think of it like a digestion process that just turns it into a liquid. We can eat all kinds of different food, but like it all ends up.
Speaker 6: Being that's really cool, ir no idea. So there are similarities in the testing. It's the style of how you gather.
Speaker 4: It starts as different stuff and by the time before it goes to the instrument, they all look the same. They're all just little vials.
Speaker 6: Idea but yeah, yep, I had no idea. I thought you were. It was a different test for everything. But that makes any chemistry.
Speaker 5: I love it. So science, yeah break bad.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm saying with concentrates, if it was you know, solvent based or solvent lists, right, So if it was made with solvents, that there's no microbial tests required because the solvent process kills all the recrobials. Okay, but in those concentrates, we now test for residual solvents because you want to make sure that that's like butane and confirming exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's smart, But.
Speaker 4: You don't need to do that with flower, right, so there's no there's no butane hopefully in your flower.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: Back in the day, I'm like maybe, like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, but you know, for solvent lists, then we have to test for micro oh. Right. And then with vapes there's the additional test of vitamin E and then as of October, first the mct.
Speaker 5: Uh oils YEA yeah, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: So there's a couple of small variants and differences between the matrices, but overall, like everything is getting tested for pesticides, right, so there's a couple of common.
Speaker 6: Things and metals and stuff like that. Exactly did was there a lot MCT oil on the market? Was that pretty.
Speaker 5: Common or did you? I mean, I don't know if you like saw it. I mean around.
Speaker 4: It's a little weird because like a lot of of our customers have said that they've been using like this turp sauce forever, while the turps are held in MCT oil, right, So like right, you know, and now there's you know, some of the better Sorry, some of the bigger manufacturers are starting to put certificates of analysis on their website for their turpeen mixes. Oh we don't have MCT in it, right, But it's kind of the problem with testing is like, well they banned this thing, Well they're just going to do this instead, right, And it's like this never ended game.
Speaker 5: It's Yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 6: Like the soda thing where it's like pop or whatever. We're in the Midwest where it's like, oh, sugar is bad for you. But then they full of aspertain all these other sugars like that ain't good for you either, Right, It's kind of like what is that like rob Sally or to pay Paul or I can't.
Speaker 5: Rob Peter to pay Paul boom Sky.
Speaker 3: That was real good.
Speaker 4: That was real good.
Speaker 5: But I tried my artist and that's what matters in life.
Speaker 3: Right, that's what we got skys here? Good?
Speaker 5: Thanks mom? No, but no, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I want to talk.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the testing and you're what what's your team like that does the test results in like their background over at the facility?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So anytime you're going to build a business, you've got to figure out what your real points of difference are going to be, right, So, like, is it going to be your equipment, Is it going to be facility? Is it going to be people? And for something is labor intensive as a laboratory, your people are absolutely paramount. Small mistakes that they make. Now you have turntime delays, you've got issues are false positives or false negatives. So our lab director's been a lab director in four different states. If you add up all the cumulative years the team's been in cannabis testing specifically, it's over twenty five years. Our microbiologist is not you know, just to graduate with a biology degree or something. They've got medical laboratory scientist certification. We try to make sure that the standards where they need to be are higher than necessary. I mean, it costs us more, but it returns dividends with how much.
Speaker 5: Of the ceremony is more pure too, Like you got real scientists behind you. I'm not saying the other ones don't. I'm just saying, like.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, if you're again, there's multiple ways to build a business. And if you're looking at your lost statement, you see this big salary line item, you start trying to cut it. But sometimes you don't understand the implications of doing that.
Speaker 6: Now one and there is value you know to certain things like there's you know, you get what you pay for sometimes, right, it's usually our.
Speaker 4: Goal is to keep our headcount as low as possible to maintain a higher average talent level. And so we've also introduced robotics in the right areas that helps us do that, right, because.
Speaker 6: We need automation in this world. You need automation to keep up with them demand.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like especially as a lab it sounds like you, how is how the big is your team?
Speaker 4: Like about I think we're twelve thirteen people now, yeah.
Speaker 5: See it's still a pretty small team. It's all.
Speaker 4: You've got like two hires coming on next week too, So it's.
Speaker 6: Going that's good though, that's good. That's good, that's great. Sign good so but no, no, that's awesome. So it sounds like you got some real some real minds, really some powerful minds on your team.
Speaker 4: We have a very difficult interview process where there's an initial fifteen minute phone screening, right, But what we actually do to make sure that from the day that folks start they're doing the right things Once they pass the phone screening, they actually have to come on site and we have a giant room setup with a practical exam and they actually have to show us they can do all the things while the lab director's watching. And the test is designed to be so hard that our own employees can't finish it within the time limit. Because I don't need them to finish. I need to see when they don't know what to do. Is there an ego thing and they don't say anything, or are they humble enough to ask a question about the right thing to do, right.
Speaker 5: That's interest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're without revealing too much of a secret sauces, those are all the things.
Speaker 5: But that's so true.
Speaker 6: I mean, like with any company that to me that it seems any successful company has culture and having that culture and having some type of purpose behind it, right, you know, and like like you're really trying to bring the right people into your team.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, there's needs to be integrity, honesty, humility. You have to be you know, you can't. We have a good culture where you're not afraid to make a mistake, We're not afraid to ask for help, right, and so that lets it be exposed early we can recover and fix it versus someone that's afraid to you know, say that, oh they might have screwed something up. Now you have a result that goes out that you could cause a lot of damage to the business or to your customer.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and that's why I like when you said like kind of like ego driven, because that's true, like when you can be humble or like hey I'm into a mistake, or like you can kind of build together and that's like really powerful with working with people and teams, you know, because you really got to trust everyone you're working with, especially when you have twelve people, because every person's like a certain good amount of percent of your company.
Speaker 5: Like you know what I mean, and what they bring. So yeah, I get it. I mean I feel you because it's just us too. We've been slowly adding people.
Speaker 6: You know, shout out behind the scenes, Mike Cannabisie awesome, pr shout out.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 5: We both share that in common kind of set up this interview. You got to shut it up. But also, like, you know, we just added Summer Sky to our client. I saw that.
Speaker 6: I mean, oh it's great, you know, and like that's like for me and him, we're always like trying to figure out how to evolve, always dreamt about having like a female perspective, you know, from the industry, because it's something I believe we can't have, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So she's been.
Speaker 6: Great, and I think just evolving and adding the right people to us has made us stronger, you know. So I feel like when I hear your story in just adding the people at the right time, it sounds like it's very gotta have the right team behind you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean We went through one hundred and eighty four interviews before picking our first Oh wow, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Oh god, wait before you picked one position. Yes, in one hundred and eighty four that's like a lot of minutes in your schedule. Man, it sounds excessive, right, but for the first No, no, it's not impressive. That's that's that's a lot of dedication. It shows how much time you're putting in.
Speaker 5: So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I was like, damn that that's a lot of grind right there, just for one position. But it showed like that, that shows me, like speaks volumes man, Yeah, how much you care about your brand?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's it's one of the most important things and it deserves the respect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I mean that's cool. And that was for sampler you call it? Yes, what's that position? Because it sounds like something I'd love to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Those are our what do you do?
Speaker 5: That's a weed? No, I'm just kidding that.
Speaker 4: Those are our folks that drive out and actually collect the stuff. Right, And so the reason that it we took so much care into it is that is our daily public image of the company to our customers, right, I mean We've heard it before, praise for the folks that we have as samplers and being compared to man, you know, somebody just kind of showed up in a T shirt and jeans and like, we're coming into the growth facility tie backed up, you know, so like and I don't have to make sure, Man, is there an audit that I need to do to make sure my samplers are doing that every time? They should know we got the right people with integrity, so I can trust that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big position.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right facing and you got trust them because they're taking the samples.
Speaker 5: Well right now you mask on taking up like that's contaminated. Like, I sure there's a lot of rules with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's not necessarily like you know, top ten percent salary range or pay range for what we have in the lab, right, I mean the lab director's got a master's or PhD degree and the samplers are driving and picking things up, and so that position, I don't think it's as much attention as it should. There's a lot of other things that are you know, in the hierarchy of the lab. They don't get attention. People kind of place more time and effort based on like you know, how high up it is, but that's not like you should think about the consequences it has to your business.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean I always I always like to like there's there's magic to both, right, Like, you can have an amazing product, but if you can't sell it, what are you gonna do? Right, It's a lot like a lot of times you see everyone like, oh the salesman, Oh the salesman, and it's like, okay, what about the people building the product, the people behind the scene, the marketing, Because at the end of the day, it's like, that's why I try not to put too much value on ones more you know, or more valuable than the other, because at the day you got to have respect for the commonality that that's not me, you know what I mean. So, like, I think it's powerful to bring in different minds to your team because you get a better product at the end. You know, a bunch of like minded people you're not gonna get You're gonna get the same idea, you know. Of course I like the way you like think about your team because I think that's very speaks volumes to how much you how much you put into your brand, you know, not just obviously capital and time, like I joked with the minutes, but seriously, like the value you bring to each person on your team, because you're right, I'm sure certain the people in the lab want you know, do deserve this respect, but the people do out there doing the grind deserve respect.
Speaker 5: So it's like one's not more valuable, but like one can't exist without the other.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 3: Man, who.
Speaker 5: Sometimes my rants make sense fifty to.
Speaker 3: Fifty fifth, Yeah, that's not right, fifty fifty.
Speaker 6: But I really want to start talking about this because there's caregiver testing a bit, because like we don't talk about it enough because everyone can get their stuff tested. And surprisingly I didn't even know this, this caregiver test it, and I didn't know till about ten thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 5: So this is cool.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about this, Let's talk about your process and cargiver testing in general.
Speaker 5: And then like, yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Curious how it works, because yeah, so, I mean it was a pretty simple process. You know, went over to your lab down and Warren dropped off the samples. The strain I tested was the pressure. It was the first time I've ever tested any product and just went with for THC and terpenes. And I think it's great for any caregiver out there to test their product, especially if you want to get into the metric market or you're thinking of it in the future, because you can start knowing you can start you could test for the heavy metals and everything too. Just make sure, Hey, if I'm passing tests, that means when I go to market, hopefully these strains will continue passing tests and give you the knowledge like, hey, I don't have to worry about a failed test, because if you have a failed test after you open up a grows that's gotta be do.
Speaker 6: There's so much value even beyond I mean yes too, I'm not I want to add to that because as a cargiver to like, yes, testing future for sure, but also just knowing what's in your product, knowing if you have molds, knowing you can dial in your grow better, you probably turn better output out.
Speaker 5: So it's like for me, it's like knowledge is power. You know what I'm saying, and.
Speaker 2: Then you know what the turpens are too, so we can our understanding.
Speaker 5: And everyone on everyone in any market caregiver legal and canus in genal you like to.
Speaker 6: Have variety, you know, for your people, for your for your patience, for your yourself or whatever.
Speaker 5: And your yeah, and your perspective for me. You say, you're right, But that's that's the value of knowing, because if you have two that are very close, you're gonna go, why am I this one's putting out an extra pound per light?
Speaker 6: And this one's not why I put my money into it? So it's like I I just look at like the knowledge is power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's pull up the results and let's let's.
Speaker 5: Go through the results.
Speaker 2: And that's a very simple process coming by dropping it off stand by, got the results and.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to go through them.
Speaker 2: I went through them actually the other night, just last night, and I've been waiting to hold them off on him because I knew he'd want to dive into them.
Speaker 5: No idea. I feel so left out.
Speaker 2: And does everyone get like a like a link like this too when they test their product? Okay, yeah, it's super simple. I like the breakdown because I was able to get the document and then also now we have a link where you could go in and check it out, so I'll pull up on my phone likele you got it up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I have it. I have it pulled up.
Speaker 6: If you're watching, if you're actually listening to the podcast on Spotify, this is a good time to plug in.
Speaker 3: Go check out our YouTube. Go ahead over to YouTube search my can cast and.
Speaker 5: You'll be able to see the certificate and kind of follow along. Yeah. So yeah, let's start talking about this.
Speaker 3: Okay. So we got the total cannabinoids on it eleven.
Speaker 5: Point two one percent full screen total.
Speaker 2: Thhds nine point seven six percent, and then THCA was nine point seven two percent. So I'm up here in the right right hand corner and we were talking about it beforehand. And plus this was a little bit older, Bud. It was the smaller nu pressure you said, did you say the stranger any last of my pressure, smaller nugs and all those play factors into your THHD testing and it might correct Skuy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you got to make sure if you're going to do a caregiver drop off that you're giving the good stuff representative of what we have, because for us to be accurate with our process and consistent, whatever you give me, I'm going to take a portion of that. So if you happen to give me, not that this is what you gave me necessarily, but we've had it before. Somebody gives us a bit too many leaves, sticks and stems. They didn't really clean it well enough. Well, it's a percentage like if you give me like a couple of good buds and then it's a bunch of stuff that doesn't have THHDN and all your percentage is going to be lower. Now, I'm not going to clean it for you because on our metric side, that's not compliant. So I need to make sure that it's consistent the way we do it all the time.
Speaker 6: And that makes and then it looks like the turpen right here.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I think it was almost about two percent on the terps.
Speaker 5: That's awesome that I did.
Speaker 6: Cannabinoids that got tested. I like the image and then all the cannabinoids right here, cbd, cb, CBD, CPC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we had CBC, cbd A, and I'll go into these in a second. It has CBG, which I thought was phenomenal, CBG A, CBN. I might as well go through my little so CBC, which I wasn't really familiar with a test and made some research may help with inflammation potentially as an antidepressant, UH neuroprotective effects and enhancing compounds like CC enhances those compounds.
Speaker 3: And then you go.
Speaker 2: Into CBDA may help with nausea, breast cancer anxiety, and COVID nineteen. Interesting, you know, CBG may help with IBD, glacoma, appetite support kills, the MERSA virus. And what's cool is when you go when you get started getting these test recelts, you can.
Speaker 5: See, look how much research you just did just by getting your stuff.
Speaker 2: Tests exactly, and then you can start seeing with the cannabinoids. Cannabinoids play such an important factor other than just the terpenes and the cannabis plant that I think that gets forgot about sometimes because the terpenes, you know, they got the flavor and they got the aromas, But the cannabinoids produce a lot of the medical effects. I mean, that's why CBD so popular. Is not based off of the terpenes. It's based off of the cannabinoids in the percent there. So with that, I truly think that understanding more of these cannabinoids. Now, if you're testing, I want to get more of my product tasted because I'm curious what my cannabinoids are so like what effects that can help me with my body or any of my patients moving forward.
Speaker 6: So it was really cool dialed in too, you know, because I'm looking over these terpenes right now, you can see like what what your main ones are to write This is like lymonin or lemonine.
Speaker 5: Always messed that up.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to blinding, which is like.
Speaker 6: Ping pining, which is cool because I wouldn't have thought there was pining in there.
Speaker 2: But that's right in the pressure. It's the pressure too too, It's my pressure. Yeah, dude, little was huge in it. It's like one of the top.
Speaker 6: Because that's a mix of combos that you don't see usually see the beta Cara offerling uh, lemonine and.
Speaker 2: Pin merc because mercy is the mercing is the biggest terpen within cannabis can.
Speaker 5: That's actually really unique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and it's got humiline. I don't I'm not.
Speaker 2: I used to always say when we did Turp Talk, I wasn't a fan of humiline because it's more of like hoppy. It's very hoppy tasting turp, and for me, I'm like not my favorite. But honestly, within the pressure, I really like it like the combination that it has. I like, it's one of my favorite strains. That's why I tested it. It's because its favorite strain, favorite flavor, and I like the effects that it does for me personally.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, is he clean? You need to read out just a couple of pages, yice.
Speaker 3: It was very simple right beginning. More of my tests are more more of my products.
Speaker 5: Guy, Yeah, cool process.
Speaker 2: And if carriers want to test, or anybody wants to test what they how do they reach out?
Speaker 3: They just go to your website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can go to our website, submit a contact form, they can call the line that's on there, and then just say, hey, want to come by and drop off some stuff. We'll grab a little bit of information, your name, your email, and then we've actually got a portal so when the results are done, you'll get an email to go online and check it out. Okay, so you just come bring it by, let us know when and then we'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And again here's their website.
Speaker 2: Very simple process, very simple, very simple. How many terpines are there? Like, how many turpins can you test for? Because like going through that listener, there's a lot of terpines I know, I don't pop up. Is that all the terpines you test for on that list or there's some that aren't even there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we will list on there all of the ones we test for, which are forty two, and you'll see the ones that are non detect. Right, there's way more turpenes than that. Reason that we selected forty two specifically is we could do like eighty plus, but then you have this massive list of most of them just being non detect which is essentially zero, and then these forty two that we picked are actually what's going to increase that total turp percentage a significant amount. I mean, sure, if you want to point zero zero one percent increase, cool, But.
Speaker 6: They're almost common and really, I mean we've heard, like we've read things like there's really eight common and there's really just a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of awf ones.
Speaker 6: When you're including forty two, you're including a decent amounts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically everything you're really going to want to know about. And to be honest, we're still trying to educate people to look at terps rather than total TC. Why complicate it? Why put so much on there that even if you're trying to explain it to somebody. It's like, yeah, three pages of just terpens and most of them are zero.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I said top three.
Speaker 6: If you put the top three, let them know, you know, like that's kind of the mo as far as you're really going to get.
Speaker 3: We've seen people to the top five, like the five.
Speaker 6: Okay, just being picky, but no, you know what I'm saying though, Like I think just kind of of like putting it on there makes me feel like, Okay, they're investing more in their brand.
Speaker 5: Just because they want to put more out there. I think especially, I think it's as a concentrate person especially, like that matters a.
Speaker 3: Lot the flavor to the flavor side.
Speaker 6: I mean and you, I mean it was like one point three percents or something like that on yours, Like I mean, like what is the average like one to three four percent? Like usually it's not that highway terps.
Speaker 4: Like we've tested some stuff that's like three four percent total terps on flower, right, So like it just depends on when we're trying to find the customers that are good fit for us, right, is they really care about making good stuff, They don't need a couple extra THD points just to sell it sort of thing, you know. Yeah's like we had a really cool we had a really cool sample come through that was about like eighteen percent total THHC, but the terps were like four point oh two I think, which is like, what do you really like that's awesome?
Speaker 3: Is it flower?
Speaker 4: To its flower? It's just regular old flower.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna strain, I'm gonna look for it. I'm just hitting No. But that's still a lot for for Flower.
Speaker 4: That's what I've always We've seen a lot, like because even four percent for DABS is pretty solid, but for Flower, that's ridiculous. We get we get a couple of customers that are consistently hitting twos and threes and like their thhds are you know, high teens, mid twenties.
Speaker 6: So still that's my exactly, that's my ship right there, dude, Like because like I know people want this like thirty nine percent TC, but then it has like one percent terps and there's like no taste and like, sure I got a buzz, but it wasn't it wasn't as enjoyable as turps. You talked that like mid low twenties, like with terps m M.
Speaker 2: I mean even my mind tested almost that ten percent THHD, which is crazy because like I love that strain and I don't think anything it's I ever thought it. That's why I tell why I preach don't look at THC percent so I literally appreciate it. Man, Like cannabinoids and the terpenes and thedc all play a factor. It's the entourage effect. Like literally, that's what you need to look for if you're listening. Please don't always go for high THHC percentage.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 5: Waiting, I had the air DJ air horn just ready to go, said don't go for high G well, and like you can go.
Speaker 3: For what you need right for your medicine, your choice.
Speaker 6: But I think there is a balance and this is what there's good we power in the coas man, because you can really dial in. Like really, my favorite thing is when people put a QR code to their coast you're packaging.
Speaker 5: Then I'm like flex, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And I love that you guys aren't cutting any corners or anything as well too, Like these are like legit results, like you're pulling them.
Speaker 5: Waiting to talk about this.
Speaker 6: This is my this is like no, when you said like being legit, there's no standardized for testing, so we keep hearing labs you know the scandal. We don't need to say it out loud, but you know who did the scandal?
Speaker 5: Like, there's companies out there that are like, clearly, I don't want to say they're bloating numbers, but it's like they're just doing their own test to give the best results, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And that's I feel like that standard What do you think? What do you feel about standardization as owning a lab, as being from that perspective, someone doesn't cut corn, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's really there's a lot to have to consider about this because you don't want to end up creating a situation like the environmental labs are in, where like everything has to be the same. There is no business anymore. You are a utility company.
Speaker 5: Oh, I see, you know I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's not really the goal here anyways. The goal is to elevate the standard of testing to make it hard for bad actors to exist, right, That's really what we're talking about. It's that the producers can't do things that it's not just like from my perspective as a lab, like yeah, I lose business all the time because somebody's like, ah, you know, I got four extra percentage over there, and I'm like that's cool, dude, Like go ahead. I can't blame them because they don't know that the labs are able to do things in.
Speaker 5: This science like yeah, you know, but it's it's also.
Speaker 4: Like with you know, conversion oil and other things that make it hard for people to compete when they're making legit product. It's the whole goal, not just for labs, is to create better standards that make it harder to do things you shouldn't right, And so with labs standardization, it's more about what what should we require, right, Like we should require that labs have to go through an OSHA inspection, and like we invited OSHA out just voluntarily, and what do you.
Speaker 5: Not like to require? Wow, I mean cleanliness should.
Speaker 4: Be employee safety. Employees safety, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's like safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like your like chemicals machinery like that shits.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot to it, right, Like we did an environmental test of our own lab, like an air sampling and things like that just so that we could see you know. It's like, well if we can do it. We're proving that, like we're willing to pay for it. It should be something that other people have to do, even things like notifying eagle egl E that you're going to be dumping certain things down the drain. Like we have a lot of bleach. We use much more than a household, right, and like, so we have to and that adds cost for us because we did voluntarily report it, and we are following the standards we're supposed to. We're properly disposing of certain things instead of throwing it in the dumpster, right, and those kinds of things. If you force the businesses to have to do stuff like that, now it's harder for you to cut corners because just the standard is higher.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, that's what I would mean by standards and like, because I feel like when we hear no standards er, I feel like there just needs to be some type of protocol, whether it's like some type of sop or something like. I mean, you know, maybe it doesn't be so specific on and how much product was, how much whatever, but like, and it's interesting I ever looked at it, like the double headed sort of like if you create too much standardization, then it's just like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you destroy the business and you destroy the market, right, and like, you know, one of the one of the things that you know there there is some light at the end of the tunnel, is if the CRA opens a reference lab that can at least be that, you know, well, this is what we consider true or okay, right, then that helps. There needs to be some sort of independent third party that can say, like, well, out of these five test results from five different labs that all disagree, here's what we should have gotten right right now. There isn't anything like that. How do you make a case that I'm right and you're wrong. We're both independent, privately owned companies doing the testing, and we both followed our approved methods as far as anybody can tell.
Speaker 6: So we've talked about this because I've never thought about like too much stanization, Like, oh, so I'll let you go first.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, is they're different machinery too, Like you're using different machinery than said lab.
Speaker 3: It's using different machinery, which, of.
Speaker 4: Course yeah, and it's like that's There have been plenty of microbial testing scandals in this state, especially across equipment manufacturers and things and you can get different results. Chemistry is a little bit more straightforward. It's you still have a spectrum of equipment quality and you can have a lot of impact based on like we talked about the caliber of your employees and the prep and everything and how consistent you are. But there is a difference and how do you make a true argument that you did it wrong and I did it right. You have to have some sort of independent standard rather than forcing everyone to do the same thing. Let people do what they want to do, but you have to like essentially pass the test, right and if the tests that are in place right now aren't like are we have annual performance tests we have to pass, They're not necessarily like that hard to pass.
Speaker 6: So I think so I feel I've never thought about that. So you're feeling more like, let's test and make sure the labs are sufficient to run the tabs for the tests, and then how they do their come to the result is that they're science type of field, not rather than standardizing the science and then not doing these protocols with the lab because I feel like I just kind of assumed the oshous stuff that safety stuff would just like you had to do it.
Speaker 4: I think it's and also like figure you can enforce more of the standardization, But the key thing is how are you going to enforce it right? It's like everyone's supposed to do the same thing. The problem is how do you make sure that they were actually doing it right?
Speaker 5: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: And so it's like making everyone follow the same methods or standards or operating procedures. I mean, that's not really going to do it. What you really want to do is make it so that you need to do it all the time because you may have some sort of like audit right. And if that's like, if I'm thinking about it, I have to play by the rules because if at any point I knew there was a state reference lab that could go and pick something I randomly tested off the shelf six months ago and check if I did it right.
Speaker 5: That I that that idea. Have never thought about a state reference lab like almost like if a like a lab for their building fronts they are I was going to say something like, is that going to be run by the cright exactly? That's I was gonna say, because that that is kind of what I'm more I'm looking for as a standards.
Speaker 4: It's almost keeping people honest, that's what it's about. The exactly there needs to be something. It's it's like you can't like true there it is not practical to take all these labs and like audit them on such a frequent basis that like they are doing all the tests correctly. There needs to be something that's how much labored There is a power in check you better behave otherwise you can get sort of thing right. That's one step to it, and they should be implemented like and that's.
Speaker 6: A great way to do it because I've always thought, like you said, it's more like the audit style, we have to send people there just randomly do checks, which I mean works to a degree, until you have so many labs, so much products, how do you test everyone?
Speaker 4: You're not going to get right through right now, we have to check each other, right, They'll like, if there's a concern about a lab, they're going to have other labs check that lab's work. And now to have legal defensibility, they want multiple labs to do it. And of course the state doesn't pay us to do this. We just have to go do it right. But it's fine, right, it's just then it's it's not as great as if there was something by the state that says, look, here's what we're gonna do. You guys all have an opportunity to like comment on this and show that you can meet these standards, and once you do, great, Now there's there's less conversation moving forward, right.
Speaker 6: Because as the scientists, No, it's like, let's keep this shit legit because there's other scientists watching our.
Speaker 4: Back and it's something dedicated full time to doing that, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Because let's be honest here, most of the people getting their stuff tested don't know this what you have to do to test it, you know, or they're just like, here, give me the results, thanks, here's my results. So to them, it's not like they're nicely cutting corners. They're like, well, this is going to make.
Speaker 5: Me more money.
Speaker 6: This is a good business decision. So it's like, I get it, though, that lab to keep people in check.
Speaker 5: Is it going to be huge? Be good?
Speaker 4: It would be good. It's it's a very difficult thing to pull off. This area has a massive challenge ahead of them to do that. But you know, I'm sure that they'll do what they can and they'll listen to the good players in the industry and do what they can to make it successful.
Speaker 3: Do they do they talk about when they expect that building to be complete.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, construction and all of this, and who knows, So I don't want to comment on that necessarily Bushkin construction.
Speaker 5: You never know. It's just like tomorrow, it could be you with winter.
Speaker 4: I wish it was as soon as possible. Right until then, we'll just on our end at least, keep trying to work with institutions that we can, and research with other labs and try to present as much information as we can to the CIRA and say, hey, you know, this is like kind of what we're finding. And we're very careful to not ever present anything that's tied to a customer where our clients pay our bills, right, and we're going to make sure that we're honest about everything. But we do want to help the CRA because I think that if you could start with improving the quality of the labs, it helps our customers because they're competition that cuts corners, that undercuts their prices with bad product that's getting pushed into the market even though they're doing the right things. They have good quality product that's also going to market. It should that should be stopped by the labs stopping it, right, Like if the labs are the gatekeeper of what goes on to the shelves, then we should start with fixing the labs so that doesn't happen.
Speaker 6: So you're you're still in a very new part of this industry. You know, testing is probably one of the newest things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the other problem there is but there's not enough research on actually like cannabis itself, where this MCT test we had to create from scratch blind. A lot of the other tests were like there's guidance out there, there's research papers, but like if you look at the lab doing this new MCT test, there's everyone's using different equipment to do it. There's like we don't even necessarily know if it's interesting things are accurate with other labs, Like what is the consistency and all of that, Right, it's.
Speaker 5: Still trying to find the science. I mean that's what experiment.
Speaker 6: Science is experimentation into like Okay, this is consistent enough to be true, right, and then even then it's like could change, Like science can still be evolved if you find a new process or a new chemical or like like combination of things. So I think that's very fascinating because like, thanks for opening my eyes a bit because I always thought like, oh, just make.
Speaker 5: A standard, like that's that's not that easy.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, of course we don't know, because even.
Speaker 6: Especially come from any business world any other part of things, SOPs are just like we're kind of help, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So for me it's like I want the sop to some degree, but like I'm going to hear it from someone who understands science is like awesome.
Speaker 2: I do want to say the labs that cut corners, the only person that's affecting is the consumer that's going out and buying the product that thinking that they're getting these straight sweet test results when it's not even that. So they're believing in high THAC is what they need when it's that.
Speaker 6: And that's not even going to keep a customer because if it's like if it says whatever PERCENTG and I hit it and it's like doesn't get me there, it's like I'm not going to keep buying it just because it says that.
Speaker 2: Out of so you think they would start focusing on the labs to make sure that they're putting out the correct results, because the people that it's only hurting is the consumers at the end.
Speaker 4: Like you know, it's the state's got a big challenge ahead of them, especially if you try to like attack the THD problem. You know, there's there's other big problems too that are closer tied to public safety. Some of the other tests that we have to test for aren't necessarily like always done correctly. And that's not necessarily on purpose by a lab. It could be accident, right, you know, staff lets something out that they should instill.
Speaker 5: Human happens.
Speaker 4: So I think that they've got a lot of things to focus on too, and unfortunately THHD is driving the market right now. Hopefully there's I hear rumblings of a change that it's more how much product can I get per dollar? You know, people are starting to maybe focus more on price rather than THHC. But I'm just hearing some.
Speaker 6: Slight I have heard that because someone mentioned that recently, that they're like, we're only getting this, We only can give you this much per pound, like this is all we give you.
Speaker 5: This much doesn't matter or TC. You don't care about terms, like this is what you've got.
Speaker 6: Let us know, it's a different world because it's to me that blows my mind because especially with cannabis, there's.
Speaker 5: So many levels to it. Yeah, that's why I said the value of testing it's huge, can make you stand out, it is.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about We've heard some stuff about false positives false negatives, like can you elaborate like how that happens or what that means for anybody?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because if that's happening, like, that's what I'm curious. Why.
Speaker 4: Right? So for every test you either get it pass or a fail. How do you know if that passes is real or the fail is real? And that's where the terms false positive or false negative come from. So a false positive positive detection meaning we found something we shouldn't that's a fail. The reason we say false positive is it's the lab saying it's a fail, but it's not actually a fail. Right, So like this lab says it's a fail, you go test at three other places they say it's a pass. Oh false positive right.
Speaker 5: Right, because it's yeah, right, just happens to be more yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: And the opposite, it's a false negative where like it is there, but you got to pass, or that it's not there so this lab says it's not there, these other ones say it is there now false positive, false negative. Very tricky situation with the labs. Is it by accident? Is it intentional?
Speaker 5: Who knows? Right?
Speaker 4: I obviously have my opinions after seeing a lot of the data, and I can tell when there's probably okay, well that's probably like intentional or not. But there's also science aspects to it. There are certain tests, without getting too much into it, that if you didn't have a good enough scientific method or you're not using your equipment correctly, you may be missing certain things right and so but the problem is is that this is a new field. Your methods are approved and validated by the CIRA, and so how do you know, like until somebody figures that piece out, Like we've figured out a lot of things that like oh wait, actually that the way everyone's doing it isn't working. Like this is the thing when we've had customers that come to us and say, hey, this lab said we failed for something. We look at it and we're like, no, it's not there, and like here's because we have a better way of doing things, I can prove to you it's not there.
Speaker 5: And that's what I was gonna So it's the state, it's how it's the procedure in which they're gathering that data, because they're whether they're doing different machines or gathering it differently, it's creating that fall negative falls positive right to gather. Because that's so that's what's interesting.
Speaker 6: That's why I like keeping that kind of like it's one of the reasons keep keeping labs and check. Kind of what you were talking about earlier makes sense because you do have to kind of make sure everyone's especially with the new MCT stuff and all this other stuff.
Speaker 5: It's like we're still figuring it out.
Speaker 6: Like if one lab is doing it more proper, it almost should be like hey, cud, that's their job to be like, hey this lab, this is better science, you know.
Speaker 4: And they do a good job when they notice those things, they start increasing. They do raise the standard of things. I've seen several changes that they've made to help like hey, you know this is better. It's just again very difficult for them as a public entity on how much they should do because you know, there's lawsuits that can happen. Right, It's like, well, if we find out something, maybe we can make it so that new labs moving forward have to do it, but how do we enforce it to everyone already right that we already approved, So it's it's a still a bit of a tricky, tricky problem, right.
Speaker 5: I feel like something they like keep up like a yearly.
Speaker 6: That's why the annual check, like yeah, that that's that that sanitization.
Speaker 4: Type of lab is gonna be a huge keep paple check, Like false negatives are and false positive positives are a huge issue you use the brand. The brands we want to work with don't want something going out there that shouldn't have gone out there because they understand the damage it can have to their brand. Like yeah, it's great at pass, so you can move the product today, but then if somebody gets sick, you have brand damage. You have custom consumer loyalty issues moving forward. That's a problem you.
Speaker 5: Can happen to anyone.
Speaker 6: Shit, we saw the shaping a McDonald's with the onion thing, like you can have the biggest brand you can sell straight up garbage food and people were like, hey, we like your branding, sick, but like you still can't escape, you know, and then false positives are the other big thing, uh, where it's like hey, you know, we're saying it's here, but it's not actually there, right, Like, that's a that's a competitive problem for us. So like as Forgillous and Mold, like we kind of talked about, there's just a lot of variety either from the testing rules or with how much human error is part of those processes that you can have your stuff fail somewhere and somewhere else as it passes. You know, you don't they could be running the same equipment, the same method or whatever. But there's so many factors that go into play. So we focused on making sure that we're very consistent, you know, if we're putting out a result, like we do something a little unique where if we see a fail internally we're uniquely approved to do this, we go back and we just confirm it again twice. Right Like, So I'm telling a customer that there's a fail, I've actually tested it three times. I've probably used different machines. I probably use different tests to do it, right. I like that a lot because I mean there fall pause is false native. I mean that was a huge thing. Like especially, I'm just bringing up something relevant like during all the COVID crap, like people had false pols all the high all the time I was dealing with these, Oh I can't come to work. Well, two of them say I'm good, ones I'm wrong. So it's like, obviously that's actually like just very common in science. So being able to have that ability is huge.
Speaker 4: Like for your client, I want to be absolutely certain if I'm telling you you might have to destroy twenty thousand dollars worth of product that I'm right, because it'd be embarrassing, you know, Oh, you take it somewhere else and it's a legitimate like, oh no, a legitimate lab said it passes. That's kind of embarrassing for me.
Speaker 6: Right, So that's your style of antment. You want to make sure it's good for both of you guys. Make sure the results a right.
Speaker 4: And it's expensive, right for us to do that. I'm essentially doing two more tests for free, but it works out because the good customers I'm dealing with don't fail very often anyways, right, And so when from there.
Speaker 5: Right, keep exactaining customers is important.
Speaker 4: It's a great way for me to kind of phase out customers. If they keep failing, I'm like, we might not be the right fit for you.
Speaker 5: You might want to go to someone who excuse those numbers have no im just they.
Speaker 3: Don't get no press on this episode.
Speaker 5: It's all jokes here.
Speaker 4: And that's the kind of the scary thing about twenty twenty four is that it's not just whatever lab has been in the media anymore. And it's hard for our clients to know like when they are getting got and when they're not, because there's a lot of labs that open this year, and it got hard for them to compete. And what are the easiest things to compete on price or cheat? I'm just saying, right.
Speaker 5: Oh, no, you're right right, because there's a certain costs and overhead. You can always just kind of a skew things.
Speaker 6: But I mean that's a good point because when you first got in, it's like all you need to do is throw a billboard up and everyone go.
Speaker 5: Now you've got competition. Now you gotta.
Speaker 6: Like, you gotta know people, you gotta like gild you gotta actually build trust with people you work with.
Speaker 5: You know, it's not just like I need this serve as help, you know what I mean? Right?
Speaker 3: Are there a lot of labs in the state of Michigan.
Speaker 4: Do you know how many numbers yeah, there's there's a decent so there's a decent amount of licenses, but then there's who's active, and then there's who's relevant. Right, So like there's some labs that are just basically doing tiny volume because their you know, cousin has a grow or whatever, and a couple other people are using them. I don't know. The number that floats in my head is probably between like eight to fifteen, somewhere in that range of the exists operating and relevant.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, okay, So there are other ones like mom and pop. They probably just have enough to keep their bills on and keep the money coming. So it's like, yeah, it makes sense, especially smaller areas, different areas.
Speaker 4: In the last like I think eighteen months, a couple of the smaller ones have shut down or been acquired or something, and then there's been some multi state operator labs that have kind of come in and partner. There's a like three or four I know of that are trying to open. You know, I don't know why don't.
Speaker 5: It's a tough market. It's brutal right here. Yeah, that's what we keep hearing is.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I thought that was way more because Honestly, you tend to see some of the bigger players over and over and over, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of volumes concentrated, probably with like six or seven labs.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, Yeah, yeah, because when you buy packaging, you go the store, you literally see some of the same ones over and over.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, they made a name for themselves of making sure the product moves, or they had a name for themselves because they were very quality and reliable, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there were some back that they did medical testing back in the day that were pretty good.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, you know what, I know, we shout out some of your team, but anyone else we want to special shouts or anything before we.
Speaker 2: Got out here, because almost we got one more question. This is like if anything we didn't mention got the floors of your sky. Yeah, and shoutouts for anyone in the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we already shouted out my cannabasity, so.
Speaker 5: We gotta just keep shouting here.
Speaker 6: We give we got it, we got it.
Speaker 4: I mean, shout out to the team that does the good work at Kiros, that keeps everybody that tests with us and is trusted in us moving their product forward. I feel very fortunate as I've learned more and more about the operators in the space, that we attract and retain the right kind of businesses, and I think that there's plenty of them out there, right. Like, initially entering this market, it was all you know, there's a lot of people that are going to want to pay you for stuff and they want you to do certain things. And I found a lot of just very high quality, good brands, right. So, like one of our newer relationships with Kinship has been fantastic.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Tyler.
Speaker 5: That's kidding, shout out.
Speaker 3: Shout out Kinship.
Speaker 4: Yep. And I've just been fortunate to be guided like folks like you and my cannabacity and et cetera, like, Hey, here are the places you guys should be paying attention to, and you know, focus on those guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely try to keep our ear to the market, you know. And I think it's kind of a never evolving thing. So if you stop being involved for a little bit, it changes very quickly.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: It's always evolving with new brands, new changing names, new management. This person used to work over here, now they're over here with this brand. It's like whoa so, and then so many different companies coming out of the market still every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, true, give them a shout out. Oh, let's do the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, funny question.
Speaker 2: So, say we're gonna ganja genie pops out of one of your machines instead of a grinder, instead of you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying, up a little bit of an actual.
Speaker 3: You're mixing it as the genie pops out.
Speaker 2: And you're like, and he's like, I'll grant you one wish anything you can change for the industry.
Speaker 3: What would you wish for an instant? It's tough. Yes, every guess that's.
Speaker 5: The one that's like. It's a good question though, because there's so much going on the industry.
Speaker 4: It's gonna have to be about making it raising the standards so that our customers that make good product can compete without having to be undercut by people cutting corners right for us as the labs, for the operators, for the producers and the growers like that would be thanks.
Speaker 6: The whole market is there was all the way down because if you let these bad players get to the top, that's when the end street kind of gets fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Laclabatts takes out the good businesses, the ones they are producing quality, the ones that are working their asses off day in and day out trying to give you the best medicine, the best quality product from flower to terps to edibles.
Speaker 4: And so sucks in this market. A lot of other like commodity production markets, have some sort of standards or it's FDA regulated or whatever, and it's harder to get away with those kinds of things. Is regulation right here, it's a little easier, and it's you know, our regulatory body has a large challenge on their hands trying to make it better.
Speaker 5: So yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: I like those ideas you brought and talked about things in the future, so appreciate you coming on guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having first lab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first lab, Thank you. This was great. Learn a lot about chiroslabs. I'll be bringing more product by and we'll have to get groovy out there to check out the lab.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool, sure, well check it out.
Speaker 5: It's worn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and uh as always, we're here to advocate, educate and inspires the next time, y'all. Shout out to our partners Real Quick Lost Coast Plant Therapy used use code Mike hand A twenty save twenty percent off. Shout out to Candy Extracts. If you're looking for premium extracts, go check out Scottie and the team. Shout out the Kinship if you want to try some turpe buds where the turpenes thrive tie than the team do.
Speaker 3: Phenomenal word's sitting out High nine the whole time.
Speaker 5: I don't even know.
Speaker 2: If we said on the album use my code, my candle cast save twenty percent, and then shout out to Old Score Organics over there. If you're looking for any old school strains, go check out Jason and the team there, and then, as always groovy, we're here to advocate, educate, and inspire.
Speaker 3: The next time y'all pay