Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 3: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 3: The punctures are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, Happy hump Day, everybody. Welcome in to another edition here of Coffee and Company. Fuel Beth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety On a beautiful, beautiful Wednesday afternoon. It's not real warm, and when it gets the wind gets to a whippon, it can be a little chilly, but hey, it is beautiful outside and I've been wanting some sunshine and we have it today and that has me very excited. I'm excited to be here. I'm always excited to be here. I think like ninety eight percent of the time when I tell you that, I really mean it. But I'm telling you I really mean it today because as I was on the drive in here, Austin. I was thinking about how fortunate we are that this is what we get to do, like for a job, which I think we try to keep that in mind at all times because you never know when it's going to come to an end. One day, this won't be what we do and it'll be sad. But I've been doing some adult stuff today, right. We talked about taxis yesterday. You know, overall, I have a great woman who is my wife, and she kind of takes care of a lot of the adult stuff and I'm very fortunate for that. We've talked about it many times really over the years. But today, you know, it was one of those days where I couldn't wait to just get here and kind of you know, block out some adult stuff. And like, I don't want to make this about like, you know, my my personal life by any means, but you know, you experience things sometimes maybe early in your life as an adult or maybe a little bit later. You know, a lot of us, myself included, like I just get caught up in my own bubble, you know what I mean. Like sure, I try to, especially with this, with with this gig what we do, I try to, you know, keep an ear to the ground as far as what's being discussed, what's interesting, what is out there that is topical, And then really the name of the game is relatability, talking about things that people have an opinion on that they can relate to. I mean, that's that's that's a big key in what we do. But for me, you know, I've I've been very lucky up until recently to never really have to worry about like issues with with like not not my health, but just like with with medical care sure, and and this is not new. This is I guess been a thing for a long time, and I'd heard about it, but I guess, you know, one ear out the other, it just wasn't something I ever spent much time thinking about until you know, it started affecting me. And there's really nothing that can be done about it, at least that I don't know if, and there's nobody that you know, I'm not starting the show by going on a bitching session about you know, about any specific entity or any specific person. But you know, my daughter, I talked about her many times over the over the years, and I know Austin, you know her, my daughter Maya. She she's special needs, and she her diagnosis is she's autistic, and she also has an intellectual disability, and and you know, all in all, she's great. We have a great life. I mean, it's it's awesome. So I don't bring that up to say, like you know, to complain, but you know, with that, there comes, you know, there comes just challenges hardships that maybe you know you wouldn't experience if if if you're not someone that is that is disabled in special needs. But you know, I got a pretty good head on my shoulders about all that. I mean, it's not something that I just you know, I mean sometimes it's tough, but overall, like I wouldn't change a thing to be honest with you. I mean, so with all that said, I'm we're just now as a family kind of dealing with like things that I just still can't believe are are a thing gives me like a pit in my stomach, like you know she's got And when you have a when you have a child who is you know, in her situation, it's really it's a never ending type of thing. As far as evaluations, just anything we can learn and get looked at to where we can provide a better life for her. To where you know, things aren't as challenging at times. So it's it's endless. It's a it's a journey, it's a ride, and you know, it's just what we do. But she she's having she's having some issues where she she just gets really really exhausted and she you know, she'll it's not like she passes out, but like she just completely just gets absolutely winded and exhausted, and just like she can't keep her eyes open when she's in school. You know, she'll just be sitting up and fall asleep. And it's not because she's not getting any rest, you know. So we're trying to figure out what's causing that. And that's been like such a pain in the ass because you know, they told us to get lab work done. Okay, we'll do that. Well, then insurance doesn't cover it. So then it's just a it's just a back and forth with her primary doctor and the insurance company about like we shouldn't have to pay fifteen hundred dollars out of pocket. We have health insurance.
Speaker 2: What is this right?
Speaker 4: And just it just makes me sick to my stomach to know that the insurance companies there are people there whose job is to quite literally strategically find and I'm sure they've got like a maybe not a script, but like you know, there's a strategy to it to where they're going to find whatever they can to make sure they don't have to pay for anything. And I'm just thinking, like, well, we pay for health insurance, we're getting lab work done, why wouldn't that cover it? And then also she gets speech therapy occupational therapy, and occupational therapy is things like helping her be able to get herself dress and and things like that. And she's she's been dealing with that. I mean, she's been she's had those therapy sessions for for a long time and they they're valuable. And even you know, even if it was something that we you know, can't tell visit by visit a real big growth, why would we not do it. It's just a chance for her to to you know, to to to develop in areas where she's behind. But like now all of a sudden that's not covered like somebody whose special needs like insurance, Like now we're not going to pay for her speech therapy because you know, we we don't see it as a necessary kind of thing. And it's just back and forth with our doctor, the specialist, the therapists, i should say, and then the insurance company. And it's just like it it just, I don't know, it makes me, makes me angry and sad sometimes just to know that like society like this is the thing, and you know, here I am. It's it's it's dealing with it. It's it's affecting me and my family for the first time. And I'm sure there's people listening that have dealt with it for a long time and it's been a lot worse. So trust me, I know, all in all, there are many others that that have much more struggles than we do. But it's just, you know, it's just it's drives me insane, and I don't you know understand. I've been thinking about it a lot today because we're we're she had some testing done last week and we're waiting to get those results and then this, you know today at school. She she's having some issues with the same things. She just really really exhausted. And we think, like we have an idea as far as what it specifically is, and and if in fact we do determine that that that's what it is, then she'll be on medication, OK, and it'll and it'll help, but like in order to see the specialist that you know, that can tell us if in fact, what her primary doctor believes could be the issue, and what we believe as far as us knowing her behaviors and all that kind of stuff. I mean, it's it's an end in endocrinologist. Like we can't get an appointment until July, and I'm just like, I mean, we're trying our best, and you know, it's not one person, it's really not one entity. It's just I guess the system, you know, just just just making it as difficult as possible. And you know, I'm sure we'll deal with much worse in life, not even related to just my children, but like, you know, it, in the end of the world, it could be a lot worse. Overall, we're very fortunate considering, you know, everything, But today's one of those days where I'm just like, man, I'm lucky in a lot of ways, but to be able to just you know, this absolutely is fun. I love it. Don't know what I would do without it, meeting this show and just what this is however, you know, like it's also like an escape from you know, real real life stuff, and wouldn't you agree, Like at times, you know, there are there there are some things as far as like performance related stress that that adds stress to this, but overall, like there are people who go to work every day and like it's a stressful job, like it's it's just really taxing when it comes to stress and anxiety, and that would be that would be you know, again, it's life for a lot of people. So as I as I have you know, been looking forward all day to getting here at three o'clock and getting this party started. Work is my escape. And I just I know that there aren't many people that are able to to to say that some people probably have stress about real life stuff that isn't work related and then they go to work and they have a new layer of different types of stress. So anyways, well we'll move on. I mean, I could sit here and yap about this stuff all day, but I know it's not what we're supposed to do here.
Speaker 2: But anyways, if you.
Speaker 4: Know of a of an in dung An Indo chronologist that might have an availability before July, no joke, let me know, because you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what Indo is not well, I know, I know one endo, but they probably doesn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like I'm not I feel like I'm saying it correctly, but clearly it sounds about right. And there there's there's a there's there's not a lot of confidence in the way I'm saying it right. So indocrinologist is is I believe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what is that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: The study of is that?
Speaker 4: Like so they diagnose and treat conditions that involve like hormones, and I mean, so what we think has happened here is that she has a thyroid disorder and and and we think that's why she just gets every now and then she just gets so exhausted to where she literally can't do much of anything. And then she'll sleep sometimes for a long time, like all through the night, and then the next day she'll have it. She'll have a long nap and just kind of be you know, and then then and then she's back to normal. And it's never as if she's dealing with like you know, like it's not like she's acting sick. It's not like you know, there's no she's no, she's just tired and and you know, so anyways, long story, short, let's let's let's let me escape what's stressing me out in my real life. Let's here, let's let's get into the nonsense and have some fun today.
Speaker 2: I mean, look where you're at. Four Street Live was built for people to get away from their daily stresses. Whether you're coming here to party, ride the mechanical bull, get on here and talk about sports takes here in our wonderful iHeart radio studio. You need some water cooler talk. You need to go out there to the coffee machine, act like you're doing something and run into like it's Harry Miners. You know, it doesn't need to have like an kidd me.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you if you googled vibe enhancement, Terry Miner's picture would show up. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's just what he does. He's got he's got the good vibes.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when I know, like, because I've always been a fan of this show, I've always wanted to be on it. And look at us now, brother, look at us now. I get to talk to you. I get to see your face which is which is now shaven after theirst week, and then like I'll just be sitting here getting ready for the show, and Terry friggin Miners will walk right behind me and go, yo, what's up Austin, And I'm like, he's talking to me.
Speaker 4: I mean, imagine if Venetti was in here late in the afternoon, then we'd really be hitting the big time, right.
Speaker 2: Would They would need a firing squad to hold us down? No, and you mentioned for it.
Speaker 4: So I got here a little b earlier than I typically do, and I do this every now and then. Have you ever been to the top of this garage, the very.
Speaker 2: Top of it? I think so. I think I've snucking out there to take in a few naps before.
Speaker 4: So if you ever think of it, drive up to the top when you get here or whenever you leave, whatever you want to do. There's actually a sneaky, phenomenal view of Louisville that like, yeah, I mean again, I guess.
Speaker 2: Any does it get to the point where there's no top on the on the roof, like where you go, Okay, yeah, I haven't been the way up there yet.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: No, there's yeah, there's some I mean, it's you got to I mean, and there's not only the skyline that you can see that's beautiful, like behind us, and I guess I've never I have never been in a position to actually view this, this angle of the church that's right next to us, which is a beautiful, very old church. I don't know what it's called, but it's right next to our garage, you know, which what I'm talking about, right, that's because because we have taller buildings all throughout downtown where we are at least near us. You know, I don't I don't ever really think I've seen it. But if you get to the top of our garage and look to the left like it's it's beautiful. So good vibes here on a Wednesday, and we got a lot we'll get into and let you guys be a part of the show. If you want to text in, you can Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three, and we'll open up the phone lines once we go to break here. Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you'd like to u to give us a call. And uh, there's not really one specific thing that's gonna like drive the show today. We did talk a lot yesterday about case and Pryor his decision and there's no update. But a couple of people have pointed this out throughout the week on the text line is like, do we need a type of announcement for Case and Pryor whenever we didn't get one and aren't expecting anything from a James Scott or a Cannai Ruse And I've got I've got, you know, Case, I can do whatever the hell he wants. I hope he comes back, and regardless if he gives us a big Instagram graphic with a quote or he doesn't, if he's back, I'm gonna be happy. But I've got some thoughts on that. Also when you I'm trying to think of an example, and I should have. I should have given this a little bit more thought throughout the day, because I'm sure there are other there are other sayings like this that that you know it's no and I'll just get into it. Kentucky fans with the news yesterday that they lost a big time transfer who they were all in on Mark Pope took him to Keetland, Baby, I mean he was out there in the winter Circle. Pope had on the UK letterman jacket, looking like the man and Wilkerson decides to go to Indiana. And I think it's been really evident in the last twenty four hours that Kentucky fans they do not take rejection well. And I think there's reasons for that, and we'll get into it today. However, like who does take rejection well? Like, clearly you can take it better than others, Like if you get you know, if you get rejected and you act like a lunatic and you know, unload on somebody, you know that that's probably about the worst way you could handle it. So I guess handling it is. Handling it well would just be like not letting, you know, it impact you to where you you know, you become out of character or something like that. So again, it's kind of like who is great, Like, oh, I'm great at taking rejection one That would be a sad thing to say, because that means you get rejected a lot. So anyways, I just I've got some lingering thoughts on just sort of this, like this piece of news yesterday. There's layers to it as to why I think Kentucky fans have reacted the way that they reacted. I don't mean, I don't I don't think they're out here acting like complete lunatics. But there's a sense of entitlement that I still think is all due to the man who coached that program and had a lot of success early on and well overall was great. I mean, Cayle Perry, say what you want. I mean one title, yeah, and that's going to clearly be something people bring up. But I mean, he had a phenomenal run in Lexington. There's no way around it. It was better in the beginning than it was towards the end. We all know that. But like what he did better than anything, The biggest strength among many that he had was getting players, really getting anybody he wanted. And I think, you know, again, we'll get into it. I've got some thoughts as far as just you know, dare I say advice for Kentucky fans. I'm not saying you should just expect to start losing players all the time, but the days of just getting players because you're Kentucky or because you know the guy coaching you gets really whoever he wants one, that guy's not there anymore. And it's really an entirely different world. And I mean, people who wanted to make this somewhat of a segment I'm kind of rolling through right now, and I don't want to do that, so I'll continue to get the table set for the rest of the show, but we will talk a little bit more about that. But also the Nico Lama la Vela probably not saying it right. I've said it five different ways, I think this week. I don't know. I mean Nico Tennessee, Nico, we'll call him that. And you've got you got me in my own head here, Austin, because I don't know is it an L or an? I I think it's got to be an L.
Speaker 2: I think it's is it is that what Ilama leve because I I actually wanted to defer at first to the the Molly Quorum reference and how she said said it. So I'm thinking, actually, as I type it in right now, according to our windows, what windows are we even on whatever windows? Whatever I type in a upper case I, and it doesn't have the traditional like with the with the line at the top and the line at the bottom, it still looks like you wouldn't mistake it for like an L. So I'm I'm thinking that it's an eye in there. So I'm thinking it's is it? I A lama vea?
Speaker 4: Is how it is?
Speaker 2: I found a video. Okay, this video is from a decided.
Speaker 4: This is from a Knoxville news station who enter and this this makes me not feel quite like a dumb ass, because there's an entire news segment from this new station w A T E six that interviewed fans outside of Niland Stadium about six to seven different fans, asking them to pronounce it, and then they have him pronounce it. And here is is Nico telling us how to say his last name. Yeah, that's not easy to say, Yamalava. I think you were right though. Honestly, dude, I think Austin, I think you you there's Yama liava, Yama Leyava. Okay, yama layava.
Speaker 2: That is so hard to say while looking at it. So anyways, Nico lama lavea, is that right? Yamaaa yama layava, Yama layava yamaa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, yes, one of those yes. So anyways, uh, Tennesse, he has zero market and this is ap No matter what happens with this guy, it's already played out to be I think an example that will be referenced for years to come in this new world of college athletics where players get paid and they can negotiate deals, because this guy got greedy and he completely changed his career and he could end up being great elsewhere and then maybe get to the end. Like it's not like he's destined to be a failure, but it doesn't sound like he's going to end up with a big time program. And nobody's clearly just this being the first time we've ever had a holdout for a college athlete. That alone is the story. But what isn't getting mentioned a whole lot is that he's not that good. I mean, he's young, and he can get better. You can certainly find quarterbacks that are a lot worse than him, But this isn't somebody. I mean, he was borderline top half in the SEC last year. And I know the SEC is an elite league in football, we all know that, but it's actually not great at quarterbacks, like they've honestly historically, despite being so great, they've done it without having many, you know, legendary slash elite type quarterbacks. So anyway, I continue to be fascinated by that entire thing. Also, how about Dwan Wheat Louisville legend, my hero getting the job at Simmons College. So happy for Dewan. And I haven't told my wife yet, Austin, but like all the money that we've saved for the kids college fund, it's now going all to Duwan Wheat Simmons and IL fund. Like I'm gonna have to because I can't not support. Like that's actually smart, smart thing to do with your finances. Yeah, and what's wild is that what it's wild about? And I'm joking when I say this, but Dwan Wheat is like he's a legend and I don't need to tell anybody that you all know it, but like he was my hero and if and I was just thinking, like, man, it's so cool he's going to be head coach at Simmons College. I'm so happy for him. And then I you know, thought back to his playing days and just how awesome he was, and I'm like, you know what, like if Pat Kelsey decided to or retire help and you know, and somebody tells me they're thinking about hiring Dwan Whet even if he never won a game at Simmons College, I think I'd be like, yeah, he's Dawon wee. Let's do it so it'll you know, I don't think that's ever gonna happen, but really happy for him. And yeah, I don't have a whole lot to add other than that, but I'm sure a lot of you. And this is what we'll get into later. This is what I wanted to make a conversation later. There are many former players or maybe celebrities in different aspects of fame that you know that if they walked into I don't know, a restaurant or a lobby of a bit I don't know, walked walked into you know, a place that at a bunch of people. I guess you could say, you know, a restaurant or a bar or something like that. If you really gave it some thought, maybe ninety five percent or more would not know who said person was. However, you might be starstruck like that's that's that's Dewan wheat for me. So we can get into all that, and we got a lot of other things we need to get into. But I'm gonna go ahead and try to keep this thing on track. Work on a clock management here, so let's get to a quick break. We'll keep it rolling along again. If you guys want to join us, feel free to text in on the Ellen N Federal Credit United text line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. Phone lines now open five O two five seventy nine hundred if you want to give us a call. It's Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talks seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon. Happy hump day. Don't forget Keith Thornton's in mind. Stopped in today this morning and got myself one of those delicious breakfast sandwiches, the sausage, egg and cheese croissant. Very delicious. And I'm sure there's other great breakfast sandwich is out there elsewhere, but I would put that one up against any It's uh, it is that it is that good, all right. So to pick up where we left off yesterday, and we spend a lot of time talking about it, and I'm not going to really add any different thoughts on Casein and his situation, but for those asking or I guess maybe more so those that are irritated that it's a conversation. Those folks are echoing the same thoughts, which is, he hasn't said he's transferring. Why do we need him to come out like he's here? He wasn't going to be here, he'd say it. And you are accurate in saying that we were not sitting around waiting to hear from CANi Rouss or James Scott, because there's just it seems to be just a given that those guys would be back. And I just think this is another example of how different everything is now in college athletics, because I don't really know if you need, like, I'm not sitting around waiting to hear from James Scott or can I Rouss, although can I did come out and say, and it's probably just in the heat of the moment, but he did say right after the season ended that he can't wait to come back and help, you know, get this thing head and and you know, hit say head in the right direction they are heading. They were headed in the right direction this season, But he can't wait to come back and you know, making even bigger impact as a sophomore. That kind of stuff, and with James Scott. He doesn't like talking to anybody.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: Pat said this at one point and it was an exaggeration, but like, I think it's true to an extent that when James Scott had his teeth knocked up into his gum and you know, had to wear his mask and you know, had to go, he had to sit in a dentist chair for you know, which can't be comfortable for a six to eleven guy, right, but he had to send a dentist chair for hours after that happened against Miami, and Pat Kelsey said that he thinks he would have preferred to be in that dentist chair than be in front of a microphone at a press conference or anything, just because he's not at all like he didn't like talking. He's just a very quiet guy that you know, he's not all about you know, he's not doesn't really like attention, to be honest with you. So anyways, those guys, we wouldn't expect them to hit the portal and be like big, big, big names. They would certainly find good landing spots, but and they're also coming off of, you know, a freshman and sophomore season with casein I mean, let's just be real. I mean, the difference is quite obvious. He is He's one of those guys that is absolutely taking advantage as he should of being able to stay in college basketball as long as he can. I mean, he would have finished his Cason got two years when he started his season at Louisville last year. At that time, if you remember, it was it was it and here we are, you know, in I guess maybe a year after he committed. He has two years of lagement he left if he wants them, because he gets the JUCO year like all these other guys get. That's an added year, and he also has a medical red shirt. So to me, it's a no brainer. This guy is going. He's not an NBA prospect, and I'm not sure James Scott orknai Rus are going to be, but they at least, you know, they're much younger in their career. I mean, case In Pryor is probably four to five years older than both those guys. So he's still playing college because the NBA does not appear to be in his future and he can make a lot of money. And this isn't like, you know, I don't want to act like it's a no brainer. Of course we would be expecting some kind of an announcement, but we got it from Javon Hadley, and I kind of felt like that was needed because again, these two guys are in different situations than really anybody else on this Louisville team, because they got extra years because of situations that you know, you don't predict happening, but it happened, and here we are, and you know, I don't know anybody's like financial situation. And I don't want to make it sound as if like, well, these guys surely they're desperate for money, so they may hit the portal and just go to the highest bidder because they're poor. Like I don't want to make it sound like that, but when you are this late in your college career, like you were evaluating every little thing because you don't really have a whole lot of time, right, Like, it's not like, well, I'll go to this school and see how it plays out for a year and if not, I'll go play two more years elsewhere. So if case and doesn't put out anything that states he's coming back, but he but he is here and doesn't hit the portal before the deadline, that'll be great. So like I don't need him to do it. Whatever, whatever he wants to do, I'm fine with as long as he comes back. And look, if he doesn't come back, that's his decision. Like I don't, I don't really. I think eventually it's gonna be very, very evident that this is all transactional. So we're probably not gonna have a whole lot of hard feelings for guys that just decide, you know, they're gonna go elsewhere because they're gonna do it's best for them. It's not personal, it's transactional. It's what it is. So I don't know if he's gonna put something out, but I would expect that if he does come back, which I expect you will, that there will be some sort of a cause. Again, if you put yourself in his shoes, like, wouldn't you want Like it's a human it's a human nature type of thing. You want to be appreciated, right, Some people I guess want to be appreciated or seek appreciation and acknowledgment more than others. But I think it's almost unnatural as a human to not not necessarily seek it out. But like if Cason Pryor announces that he's going to come back with some type of video similar to what Javon Hadley did that is going to be a big celebration among the fan base, and that should make him feel good. Therefore, like, if you can do that, why would you not and look marketing material like that. I mean, that's a whole new world. When I started covering college athletics many many years ago, you didn't have an entire department that worked for different teams within your athletic department that just create content like social media, videos, cinematic stuff, graphics, that kind of stuff. So you know, you got to be active because it's a competitive business, right college athletics, and it's you know, so I would expect that he will make an announcement and he'll be back, but we shall see. Now back to what I just said a moment ago, when it comes to the not having hard feelings for somebody who just decides that they are going to do what's best for them, and and what's best for them in their mind is not playing for your school, Kentucky fans may need a little more time than everybody else to kind of, you know, get to that because Wilkerson deciding to commit to Indiana yesterday over Kentucky. I think more than anything, it was a surprise because there was really no I mean I wasn't following it super closely, but there didn't seem to be any reports that you know, Kentucky was was was behind and Indiana had some big lead. In fact, I think him leaving Indiana without committing and then going to Kentucky and then of course they put the full court press on they had him at Keenlin. I mean, I would imagine they were selling him on, you know, a big role, and he decided to go to Indiana, and it happens like I wish I could be genuine and be like, oh, this is this is this is a bad side for Mark. Oh now come, I mean he I mean maybe it is. I don't know, but I'm just well aware that you can have a lot to offer money, playing time prime time program that plays on national TV all the time, a huge fan base, like you can have that, but others have it too, Like there could be five schools that are all kind of in the same neighborhood and it may just come down to a preference for a young man may not just be money.
Speaker 5: So I.
Speaker 4: Don't want to say I'm fascinated, but it is really stood out to just see that the Kentucky fans, at least those that are you know, active online calling into shows, you know, that are that are into it like that they have they have an issue with accepting that somebody could just literally decide to go to a different school over theres because they want to like there's like a an inability to just understand that you can lose players too, and it's not because you know, money, it's not because of you know, some other reason, like, it's just I don't know. I guess that I guess, to be honest with you, I guess it does fascinate me because you know, yesterday, right after the announcement happened, it was, well, you know, he didn't want to come to Kentucky to just be another guy. Well, look, he didn't want to compete. That's why, because there's no other re the only there's got to be some reason why he didn't pick Kentucky and he picked Indiana. It's got to because he's scared. He's not ready for this, he knows. So that's why I was listening. I was listening to Tom Leacher earlier this morning, and you know, he didn't say that that this. In fact, he was very careful with his words, but he said, I'm not going to speculate, but I would guess if I had to guess, that Kentucky offered him a nice an il situation and Indiana offered him a little bit better. And then Kentucky realized, well, you know, we're not committed to you and that with that money, and you know, best of luck to you, because you know, they just can't accept that. Maybe it did and I don't think it did get to a bidding war, but if it did get to a bidding war, and it became clear that no matter what both sides were going to be willing to match, he could still have picked Indiana and not you, and like they just they can't quite accept that.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 4: Don't know what leads to that. I mean, John cal Perry got anybody he wanted for the most part, and that I think just became just for years, I mean over a decade. Really cal won way more recruiting battles than he lost. And therefore that just gave you a sense of I guess, entitlement and arrogance to where if somebody's not picking Kentucky, then there's got to be It can't just be because they want to go play at that school and not this school, because that just doesn't compute. There's no way that's possible, and I'm telling you it is. I mean, even before the new world we're in now with nil, there still guys that would choose to go to different schools. There weren't many of them, but like it would happen, but it was never just because they liked that other school better and they wanted to go there and play. There was always some kind of like I mean, I remember they lost one kid to Duke when cal was here, and I'll never forget how much it just well as mom, it was his mom. I mean, he wanted to come here, he wanted to play here, but his mom got away.
Speaker 3: How do you know that?
Speaker 4: Like you're just trying, you're trying to find some reasoning because you're in denial. But it could just be that they didn't pick your school. Look, Louisville, we've recruited really well historically, done really well on the portals since it's been a thing. But at times we compare ourself to Kentucky because again they usually, especially during the Calier, they don't miss much. Now you're going to miss a lot more than you ever have because it's a different world within il. But you know, Louisville could lose players even when Rick was here, Like Rick brought in really good talent, but we always found ourselves comparing it to Lexington's talent, right, and it, you know, made us feel like we had had a bunch of JV players that we signed that in fact were like a top three, top five class in a lot of instances with Rick, but it wasn't the legendary classes that Cal brought in because because yeah, because that's our rival, that's what we do. We find ourselves comparing to our rival. So I mean, Louisville fans, it's not to say, well, hey, we're used to it because we lose every player, But like I think Louisville fans have confidence in if a kid does pick Louisville over a premier program like a Kansas or something, we're not totally stunned because at the end of the day, like we know we got a lot to offer too, and we're a good program, but we also know that if you lose a player to somebody, it you know, it could be. It could be because you know, they just liked a different school a little bit better than Louisville. Like that's just how it works. But I think Cali Perry, despite being gone, he was so dominant. He was there for such a long time. When I say dominant, I mean in recruiting. It turned in, it turned into where they just again, there's no scenario any buddy would. I think Cal rubbed off on him, and he kind of injected a level of arrogance that may linger with them for a long time. And look, Kentucky basketball, even before Cal had good reason to be arrogant. It's one of the best programs of all time. I've never once acted like it's not. You know, they Kentucky is elite, and they'll be elite I think from now until the end of time unless something crazy happens. I don't know how many titles are gonna win. But like, I don't see them ever being irrelevant. But I think Cal was different because Cal not only got any player he wanted, but he carried a level of arrogance. I believe that, you know that was just different. So anyways, we got to get to a quick break. We will come back here on the other side, wrap up the three o'clock hour. And I'm sure there's plenty of reaction to what I just said. And again it's not I mean losing Wilkerson. I don't even think it's going to be that big of a deal at the end of the day for Kentucky because I think Pope will find a way to make it work, because that's what he does. However, you know, I just think life would be better for you moving forward, especially in this new world with n il to just understand. Sometimes guys are just going to pick a school because that's what they want to do. You don't have to just try to, you know, search endlessly to find Well, there's got to.
Speaker 2: Be Oh, oh, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Took a road trip to Kentucky as a kid, he got sick, doesn't want to come back. That's what it is. There's no other excuse.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, it is coffee and Company fuel Beth Thornton's here on Sportstop.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, all right, what the hell was that I don't know.
Speaker 4: That scared me, all right, So uh oh, so I was going to go to the phone lines, and I've got my I turned on and we are going to go to the phone lines. But Austin may have to do it on his end because what says phone A on my board typically says EPGM studio E. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: So anyways, uh well, I'm in studio E. You must have accidentally pressed aknob or something that took it out of that phone and put it into a program of studio E. I have no clue. We're still on air and stuff. We're still yeah, yeah, you know, I just I just don't know what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I probably hit a button or something, or somebody else did. Maybe you hit the button that says do not press anything. We just blame Shane in the dude because he's always he's always the one using.
Speaker 2: This every probably all the way up.
Speaker 4: Just blame it on him. But I was gonna tell you can take us with you reb you go listen live on the UT Radio. I'm also listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. I'm not gonna do what I typically do to bring a caller on because I don't know if it's gonna work or not, so we'll just we'll give you the floor here. Can you bring in mister Mike who joins us?
Speaker 2: We got him? Mike, what's happening? Brother? Welcome in?
Speaker 5: Hey, Bud. Hey, First of all, I just it really aggravates me for them all fan bases whenever they act like a guy that they were recruiting and they go somewhere else like we didn't want him anyway, Well, you obviously wanted him, or you wouldn't off brought him on campus.
Speaker 4: You're right, and and and a new layer to that is if we paid him big money and got him, it's they're braggadocious because hey, we got all the money. But if they lose out, well we weren't willing to pay that. I mean, he's good, but come on now.
Speaker 5: Right, But it also can be true that a guy maybe didn't want that environment. I mean, I think he didn't do himself any he didn't do himself any favors when he said he didn't just want to be another guy. And I mean, you know, you can build a team multiple ways. Some guys are building teams with six stars and going to roll with those six guys and just have a bunch of scrubs behind them, and other guys are trying to build kind of the way Florida built it, you know, with a deep roster of ten, ten guys you can count on up and down the rock.
Speaker 4: And to that to your point, Mike, what makes Florida so impressive with their championship run and how good they were is that it certainly seems as if their coaching staff when they evaluated players and brought them in rather to be high school kids or transfers, they didn't look at any ranking, you know what I mean, Like they weren't even necessarily looking for guys that put up big stats. They were just trying to find guys they felt like that what they wanted to do, and clearly it worked out well for them.
Speaker 5: Right, And you may be looking for different things. I mean, I can remember when my son was playing AAU, we had offers to play with much better teams in a reserve role, but we chose went with the team that really wasn't that good, but we were going to play almost the entire game and that was more important to us at that time frame.
Speaker 4: Yep, I get it.
Speaker 5: This point in his career, getting the most money with the most playing time is probably more important than competing for a championship, because anybody that's you know, rationally observing, is going to look at the Kentucky team or the Louisville team compared to the Indiana roster, and Indiana is not competing for any championships next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me ask you this because I saw I think it might have been one of the on three Sports guys that covers recruiting that before Wilkerson made his decision, they had said that they were selling him on the Kobe Breer role and that he.
Speaker 2: Was intrigued by that.
Speaker 4: And Kobe Bray was a good player, one of the best shooters in the country, and certainly he at times elevated his game whenever Butler and Robinson didn't play. But I kind of feel like that probably worked against Kentucky because you know, Brea was good, but like Wilkerson's averaging twenty something a game where he was prior and again he's probably not who knows, maybe he's not as good as Brea, but I kind of feel like maybe there was just a mis Kentucky wasn't going to hand the keys to him. They got a Otega Away coming back who's clearly going to be the best guard on that team regardless of what happens. And you know, I think you're onto something that it may not be that he dislikes Kentucky, but he knows he's got a better chance to kind of be more of the man for Indiana than he would at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: And also, I mean which Kobe Breier wrote the Kobe Breier row when Jackson Robinson was playing, yeah, twenty minutes a game and Kobe was playing twenty or the Kobe row at the end of the season when he was playing thirty five minutes a game.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 4: And and you know, honestly, I think of Brea and Terrence Edwards as guys that in the season really did have to become much different players as far as what they were needed to do because of injuries that happened. And honestly, for the most part, you know, both guys I thought veterans, veterans were able to adjust and and still be you know, I don't think that I'll put it this way, I don't think that would be as easy as most people realize.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So a couple of things I found very interesting moving away from that is the eagle staff kid from South Carolina reopening Yep. That that seems very opportunistic at this time.
Speaker 4: I mean that that that that screams he realizes he made a decision too quick and now there's school there's much better schools that that could that could use him with.
Speaker 5: The higher pay roll.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: And did did I say that the quarterbacks for South Carolina's entered the portal? And if that's the case, the I think their start Carolina will be in the mark will be in the Nico.
Speaker 4: That would make sense. That would make sense. I appreciate the call, Mike. Good to hear from you man. Yeah, if that is the case, I had missed that. But yes, South Carolina would certainly be in the market for And look, I think there's plenty of schools that would love to have Nico because he's good enough, and he's young, he'll get better. It was just a terrible decision and a terrible time to play the hand they played, because it's no matter what happens, it's backfired. And I don't see a situation where because he's gonna make less money significantly less money. Wherever he ends up. It sounds like than he was at Tennessee before he asked for a raise. And I mean, I don't want to make it out like I put this in motion, because trust me, I didn't, but it is wild how Monday, like I was just thinking out loud, like what they need to do is just everybody kind of work together and just let it be known we're going to control the market here, not you. Nobody's gonna pay you close to it, and then you know, we'll all probably be in the same ballpark what we're willing to pay, and then he'll have to decide what he wants to do. Because it sounds like that's exactly what's happened right like they did the same thing with Deshaun Watson in the NFL. I mean I used the example yesterday and the day before. Why not say it once more just because I think it's exactly what's happening here. Quarterbacks Lamar Jackson specifically wanted to just make sure he was making more than Deshaun Watson because he knew he was way better and more accomplished. But the NFL, collectively, the owners, I guess gms as well, were like, yeah, only the dumbass Browns would do that. Nobody's gonna get that. Good for DeShawn, he was able to take advantage of those suckers in Cleveland, but like, that's a one off. So anyways, we got to get to a break. Two more hours, left a lot more to get into. Stick around, well, keep this thing rolling along right here on Sports Talk seven ninety