Speaker 1: Home taking an officer's cap as an arrestable offense.
Speaker 2: WHOA, what are you gonna do? A buddy, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: I'm officer marched, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna arrest you. WHOA what merge? Not here?
Speaker 3: Hey, you're not really arresting me.
Speaker 1: You have the right to remain silent.
Speaker 2: I choose to wave that right.
Speaker 1: WHOA? Whoa four finger discount dude?
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, welcome to four figure discount where this week we're gone all the way back to season six. One of the better eras of the Simpsons, particularly when you were viewing season twenty. This one is the Springfield Connection. I'm Dena and I'm guy. Yes, we have the right to remain silent. Don't you wish we'd exercise that right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the Springfield connection. The one well, okay, margin comes a cop pretty much. Yeah, And we discussed off the air before. There have been many episodes, not many episodes of guests, but where Marge does something for herself for a change, So she does the painting and whatnot. That's not a job, but there is the episode where Marge gets the job. And because you were saying to me that you thought this was one of the better or the best Marge getting a job for a self kind of episodes Now Got Pretzel Wagon and things like that. I brought up Marge gets a job where she gets the job at the Power Plan. That episode was more based around mister Burns's infatuation for her and she got that gig not just because he thought she was hot, because she still did the job really really well, but he offered her the job because he wanted to get in their pants. Essentially, this one here was Marge going on, that's why I got this job exactly. Yeah, and boy did you earn it and much? And Marge here though, she sort of decides she sees in herself I can do this. I'm going to do it, and she does it well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's not necessary, not necessarily. Oh, I want to be a cop. I want to enforce a law. She discovers that she's okay, that is a part of it. Will die a little deep into that, but I think she feels like there's something missing from her life, a little spark of excitement, wants to feel a bit more alive again, but also contributes something to the community. And yeah, being a cop turns out the best way to do that. It's a storyline that I always like when you discover something in yourself, or a character discovers there's something in themselves that's always been there, that's always kind of innate and just needs to be drawn out, and when they get the opportunity to do so, they become a slightly bitter version themselves, or you know, they just they level up a tiny, tiny bit in their entire life. And yeah, I mean that's what I took away from this. I mean it just I wouldn't say it's like, oh, this is one of the great Simpsons episodes. It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's got a lot of key moments. It does, and we said quite a lot of the show. We say that, oh I forgot this moment was in this episode, and that kind of thing. It's a fair bit of that.
Speaker 5: I won't say that this was like a laugh a minute, but I felt really really satisfied, yeah, by the end. And sometimes that's more what you need or sometimes more what you want.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad you brought that up with I feel when we go back to these classic episodes, they either fall into two different categories, right, Sometimes they sort of blur the line and go into a bit of both. But he either get your ones that are heavy on joke density, so it's joke jo joke joke. There's still a story there, but it's a lot of wackiness, right, And then you get ones where they're not as wacky, they're not as funny. I guess you could say they've got funny moments and not as funny consistently, but they've got that emotionally driven episode that's more grounded and relatable and believable. We sure have talked about that. That's what this one is. I'm not saying it's not funny or anything. That's just nowhere near as wacky as say a margin versus the monorail, all that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: And sometimes you know, when you're very, very fortunate, you get the whole then diagram, when the two things coline, and you know you've got a nice, big, creamy center. As I like to say, there's like, ah, this is really funny, and it's hit me right in the fields. Yeah, And this is more sort of not necessarily in the fields. But I've learned a bit more about March. I've come to know and dare I say love March a bit more as a result. Yeah, this is that's what I took away from this and the moments that illustrated that so so well that I want to talk about in either of my favorite moments or as.
Speaker 3: We go through the episode. I think this episode was more relatable watching it as an adult, especially a married man, as well just seeing it from Homer's perspective. I think when I just watch this as a kid, I didn't really get the home homage dynamic here of why haven't didn't want her to be a cop and why the cops were laughing at her? I thought, why is everyone sort of laughing at the fact that she's clicked she could be a cop? Why they laughing at what's the joke here? As you get older, go oh, they're sexist. So that kind of thing, right, And that's a theme of the episode, which we will dive into it until a minute. But the episode, this story was inspired by executive producer Mike Reese you know right for the show. Produced for the show, his wife Denise debated about whether she wanted to become a cop or not, and that's something that she decided not to do. But I think that's why this episode now watching it in twenty twenty five, it hits me a bit because I have a wife, Nikola, as we all know, who was once trained to be a police officer in the UK. She was not a fully fledged police officer, I know what they call them. It's almost like a like a probational cops that kind of thing where she would go on the weekends and she'd she'd shatter them around and she would she'd have all the police responsibilities, but she wasn't going out and the beat by her sub kind of thing. She was there, and she was on the show britt Cops in the UK. She was she was going to become a cop. She was an accountant and she thought accounts is too boring for me. I need to get it and do something exciting. And then while she was trained to be a cop, Nicola came into Australia on her holiday visa legally not like the ones you see on border security, and she met me and decided to stay. And then she decided, well, police work is not going to be from me. She got an accountcy job. The rest is history. But in the meantime about I don't know, I want to see eight years ago. It was just before Alliot was born. Copies beforehand. Well I remember a Paco fester and the police force were there and they were handing out paco fester for all you. Playing at Home is a multicultural festival we have here in Geelong where all different cultures they they're just promoting the part of the community, so like their local clubs or that kind of thing. And there's a lot of celebration of local food, that kind of thing, a celebration of local culture. But you also get things like the police forces down there heading out saying join the police force. You know, Sam wants you kind of thing.
Speaker 5: We've talked a bit about on various shows about how Geelong is to have Garlla Day, which was like, you know, our big day of celebration, Paco Festa on Packington Street. It's the name has kind of replaced that. Yeah, it's yeah, a day when almost everyone in Geelong comes out. Yeah, it's like lamb cougher, that's delicious, and oh look at those people dressing in those funny hats something like that. Sorry, I'm not being disrespectful when I say that, but it's very So that's what people usually say when you look at UK police officers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people or me wearing my newsboy hat. It's like, calm down. But so Nicholas saw these police officers and she was like, maybe I should do it again. And I remember internally going, I really don't want you to do this because I know how dangerous it is. And I know, you know, I've seen this episode. I know how I'm sure it's different now, but they're still in twenty twenty five. The mentality of a woman police officer. There's a gang of guys doing the wrong thing and they see a female police officer. They're not going to be as intimidated as a man being there for the most part. You know. It's just you feel like they will. Their first reaction will be we can take her on. I just felt for her safety and I thought I like this at all. If you've ever met Nickoliy, you know obviously no one's going to be able to stop it from doing what she wants to do. She decided not to do it. She then worked for deaf interpreters, that kind of thing. She took a different career path. But I was watching this going I can relate to Homer's want for Marge not to be but his belief was, I don't want you to do it because it would make me the woman of the relationship and you the man. Like he's seeing it more from a Oh, how's it going to make me look as opposed to fearing for her safety? I don't think at any point in this episode did he really fear for Marge's safety. Oh no, not at all.
Speaker 5: And I think, yeah, that's what sets apart from other episodes in the Marge gets a job or Marge finds life outside being a wife and mother. Yeah, sort of subgenre. Yeah, yeah, yeah, making her a cop, making her a figure of authority. Yeah, it's gonna be one of those things that sort of disrupts the stereotype called male female relationship. Yeah, for someone who is undoubtedly as loving and supportive of his wife as Homer is at his best. Yeah, I mean, that's still going to do a bit of a number. And it's like, well, if someone else is literally wearing the pants, the blue police officer pants in this case, yeah, Like, does this disrupt how she feels about me? You know, is what she does between nine to five, going to bleed over into the house. How does this affect our relationship?
Speaker 3: Well, I think he is somebody who has been for so long in a relationship where he's the bread winner. He's when it earns the money, and it's almost like he has those bragging rights. And with Marge going to work, I'm not sure what the pay would be any different. But the thing is, oh, now she's got the tough guy job. What am I doing here?
Speaker 5: It's the economics of it never comes into it.
Speaker 3: No, not in necessary anymore. I know they never sort of. It's not it's not a factor. It's really just it's a perception. It's a perception.
Speaker 5: You know, she's been trained how to bold someone's arm behind them back and nearly break it and say, you know, someone's head against the car or someone who has.
Speaker 3: A gun on their belt. If they had more time, I think it would have been good for them to showcase Homer using Marge being to his advantage a bit more, because when he parks across those three handicapped spaces hadn't really built up to that moment yet. I know he was doing the card game. In years, they've already had round one of the poker the poker game, yes, but it wasn't like he was using it he pointed out the perks in that scene. Oh yeah, I've got the the they scanner, that kind of thing. But there was no sort of build up too, Marge going that's it had enough of you that moment there. To me, I don't think Marge wanted to shouldn't look, shouldn't sort of go home, I'm going to give you the tickets you're home and you've pissed me off? Or no, no, no, I think she even wanted to give them the ticket. But what happened was he in that situation, he challenged her authority in a public space. He disrespected her authorities. Yeah, authority, Yeah, he disrespected her. So she had no choice in that situation, even because because to me, A, she couldn't be seen to giving her husband preferential treatment, and B you can't have anybody seeing a cop like this in public because you're just set in the president of Well, he can get away with it, why can't I.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not going to be I'm not an all cops of buses the kind of guy by any means, but you know, you can't disrespect the badge. Nor am I a coppaganda guy. But yeah, you can't disrespect the badge in that regard, and it's it's disrespectful to his wife and it's disrespectful to an officer of the law.
Speaker 3: Can't do either, shouldn't do either. Let's be honest, if we had his spouse or a friend who was a copy of courtis doing something like this, you would be lying, he said. You wouldn't expect them to give you some sort of preferential treatment, not even not giving not that they let you do continue doing noting wrong, but to just say, look, here's your warning, don't do it again. I'm not going to find you.
Speaker 5: I think if you know, if you're halfway sensitive and respectful partner to your partner, you wouldn't. Okay, they exaggerated for comic effect here. The half part was that. The half part was, of course, that the kick. Yeah, so you're on your way home. Ah, Lou asked me to get milk.
Speaker 3: I forgot.
Speaker 5: You're pulling too, the seven eleven quickie mart whatever. Ah, they're all taken except for the handicap back.
Speaker 3: I don't show any handicap people around here. You zip in, I forget to donutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're busted, If Lou bust me doing that, I'm.
Speaker 3: Getting the milk for you. Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to give me a ticket. But at the same time, you know, you'd be kind of like, sorry, I'm not explaining myself. Very weird, but it's like, you should respect your partner enough and respect what they're doing enough. It's like, I'm going to have to lift my game here because you know, if I'm going to be a supportive partner, I've got to follow the law that they're upholding. You still, respect starts at home. But yeah, he challenged her authority there, and not just for the sake of her perception in the way she's proceeded in a community, just a police force in general.
Speaker 3: She had to give him the ticket, Oh my god. Yeah, yeh yeah. Yeah. The fact that he feels bold enough to do that because it's his missus. Yeah, he insulting. It adds insult to injury. He never really took her seriously as a cop until the end.
Speaker 5: No, no, and I'm yeah, I'm not going to push back against what you're saying. I'm going to disagree in terms of I think what they did with the poker table thing, the initial one where he's sort of saying, being a carp husband's great, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. I think that's all you needed in the space of a twenty minute something episode.
Speaker 3: Brevity is the soul.
Speaker 5: It's I think you can twig that's like homes taking advantage of this. And also like he's not saying at all, Wow, she's great at a job, or like wow, yeah, good on her, but it's like, no, I'm really happy for Marge. But you know what, you know, what else is great is this and this and this. Now he's just like, what can I get out of this? Or what am I getting out of this?
Speaker 3: It's like when you mate works at KFC, I get so much free chicken. Did you ever work at a fast Forward Fast? I never did. No. Do you have friends who worked there?
Speaker 5: My young nephews and nieces worked there. They worked at macis one on the on the corner of Shannon and Autumn.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, they bring you some apple paths?
Speaker 5: Uh No, I never did, no, No, I never abused the relationship with the.
Speaker 3: Oh all those apple paths. Yes, But this episode here focuses a lot on the everyday setbacks that women face. Not only in the workforce, but just day to day life and the perception that it's the old woman doing a man's job. Right, so woman being a police officer, and examples in this episode, we get the men the cops initially laughing at Marge before they say welcome aboard. We get Homer thinking it makes him the woman of the relationship. Homer thinking that Marje needed saving from Snake at the start, things like that, it's always the damseland distress, you know, woman doing a man's job. So and still to this day, it's obviously we've said this before. We always think that we're the most progressive, and we probably are the most progressive in this current time compared to the past. But it will only improve. Right now, it's still not where it needs to be. It's a lot better than where it needs to be. But still you still get to this day, let a woman do a man's job. He still here guy saying that tongue in cheek, but it's still being said.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, it's an actual joke. From this it was like it's been repurposes of meme all that time. I mean, the main one I see is like when it's climate change, like this is the hottest summer in my life. There's the hottest summer in your life so far? Yeahah, so yeah, we're the most progressive society so far.
Speaker 3: The Simpsons coined the so far gag because it's from the Simpsons movie when ago. Yes, this is the most miserable day of my life he is far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it feels like such a good joke that you feel like someone's got to use that before. Not this in the Simpsons or anything like that, but it feels like that's a joke that's been around for a while. Yeah, okay, but maybe well the.
Speaker 3: Simpsons movie has been around for a while, so yeah, it's been out. She does in the case they're crazy right years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Marge is clearly good at well, she's great at it. Well, she has both the willingness and the ability. I mean she's yeah, how much of that is like wow, sort of in built. I mean, she's really quite keen to go after Snake after he's pulling the three card Monty tricks. She's always been in shape, hasn't she, Marge. Yeah, it's one, but it is one of my favorite bits. Shout out to Julie Cabnet. This is great voice work. I really love what she.
Speaker 3: Did in this episode. Any particular moments just when yeah, when when yeah snake sort of and she's like he's getting away, someone do something, Yeah, and she's like running out to get here.
Speaker 5: I thought that was marvelous. And yeah, Julie had a lot of that stuff all through the episode. But yeah, so that's it's clearly in her to chase the rush, shall we say, but when you know it comes down to actually training to do the job and do the job, yeah, she's all for it.
Speaker 3: Admittally they throw a gag. It's like women, I always have trouble with the wall. There's a door right there, which apparently is an officer and a gentleman. That's an officer and gentleman thing. Yeah. Yeah, we've talked about that movie a couple of times recently. Yeah, yeah, but I don't I haven't seen the actual movie. I've seen the ending and things like that. But so apparently there's a scene where she has trouble getting over the walls. There's a door or something there is she says, trouble getting there is no the door is a gag.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah, but an officer and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: They're going through basic training. She've got to get over a wall.
Speaker 5: There's it's mostly dudes, but there's a young young woman who's also training to be a naval aviator. And it's not really a spoiler, but she has trouble getting over the wall. Richard Gear's character is kind of like a surly learners, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really good at this, but I'm not helping nobody out. I'm for me man.
Speaker 5: Then he goes and helps her because he's a good dude.
Speaker 3: And then he takes it a bed because he's Richard. No, not true with a whatever they called. I just say every time I say you face case, I got to de boat this ship again. Am I fucking myth Busters? But apparently I've told you how Sylvester Saloon apparently started that roomor hilarious. Apparently the original design for Marge's police uniform to had Marge's hair standing up and the hat on top on top, yeah, as it normally would be. Director David Mark Kirkland found that it made it look awkward for well, didn't make it look awkward, it was just awkward for staging because he was directing his like, we can't fit her in the frame, that kind of thing, because the gag is the hat would be on top, so you'd always have to see the top of her head.
Speaker 5: It would have been Yeah, and there's a saying in comedy, you're putting putting a hat on a hat. Yeah, you know what that means. Yeah, it's like, yeah, this GAG's already good. You don't need to add that to it.
Speaker 3: Sims does a lot in twenty of The Simpsons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they would have literally been putting a hat on a hat.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so the alter the design to have her hair pulled down. David Murkan, who was the was he he was the chowrun at the time, but yeah. He later stated that if they went with a design of the hat on top, he would have asked him to change it because he was trying to depict Marge as a serious cop and just seeing her with the hat on top, you couldn't take her seriously. It'd be too cartoony in comic and comedy.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, right, Like I said, hat on a hat, and let's not forget Marge looks kind of hot in a hard rock cafe.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, that too, still got the idea. It is official we have finally launched Bob's Pods, a Bob's Burger's podcast, reviewing every episode of the series exclusively on our Patreon. We dissect the relationships, the themes, the burger specials, and everything else that goes into making Bob's Burgers one of the most love animated series today. So if you want to sink your teeth into one of the tastiest podcasts going around, join the four Finger discat Family Today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount. Now the idea for the counterfeit Jeans ring. I was going to say, speaking of the jeans, a very blue episode. So it's the cops, you know, Margins. The jeans are all blue. Hill Street Blues. It's just blues everywhere. A bit of a stretch from that final one, but I get where you come away.
Speaker 2: It's that's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they are apploying the a variation on the Hill Street Blues theme, one of the great TV themes, by the way, Yeah, all throughout the episode. I mentioned this before we started talking, and then I said, seve it for the shoe.
Speaker 3: Shut up, Gaye, it's yes.
Speaker 5: You one thing I really enjoyed in this and I'm sorry, maybe stepping on favorite moments, but I think it's it's indicative of just the quality of the show around this period when Marge is going through a basic training becoming a cop, and they've done like a hero theme version of the Simpsons theme, which is, you know, kind of like Iconic has rocked the off the circus music and Danny Elfman stuff, but giving in that kind of.
Speaker 3: I don't know, action sequence.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a like it's in Speed or in conn Air or something.
Speaker 3: Apparently the references there were Speed going over the Highway game. That's definitely in there. Bullet or something.
Speaker 5: Bullet, just the Steve McQueen movie Bullet, which has one of the most famous car chases in cinema history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fantastic movie Bullet. As as as the police and the police are Blues brothers speaking of Blue. Oh that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got it's got a lot of cop stuff in there. Okay, but yeah, I just thought the music. Yeah, I think the music was fantastic in that regard, and it's not done over the top. It's just done kind of subtly, And it feels like, because I've seen enough of these eighties and nineties action movies, cop movies, basic training movies, and there's always kind of an inspirational thing behind that. Gonna now they're doing better. Yeah, it's like to weave the Simpsons music into that great work. I mean, I'm gonna, you know, it's out of clause and I think, who's going to be responsible for that?
Speaker 3: What a lord? And it's not just that, it is the way they have the Hill Street Blues version of the theme song at the end as well. Sure you had the Hill Street Blues music sort of playing when she's just on the beat in junktown or junk field, whatever it is. Want to talk about that because there's a mistake. Yeah it really was. Yeah, yes, yeah, But I just love it when they get the themes and they put a twist on it. They do it with Bart versus Australia was another one at the end, because it makes the episode feel unique and special. It does because it's just this is an episode that is Marge as a cop, so they really make it feel like you're watching a police drummer from the eighties. Yeah, that's the end.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a deviation from canon or anything like that. I mean I'm but it's like, oh, well, yeah, I mean, because Home has been through so many queers, like, how's he still working on the nuclear power playfell Yeah. I guess if you were writing, like a definitive this is everything that happened in the Simpsons, you would have it. Or you're writing, say, Marge since Wikipedia page like and there was also a brief period where Marge worked as a cop. You're not going to say, oh, that never happened, or that's an alternative reality or something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It ties getting back to what I was saying, it having that variation on the Simpsons theme makes it part of the larger Simpsons universe, larger Simpsons story. It's all part of the one big thing.
Speaker 3: Well, the whole episode is a tribute to these eighties police dramas, so just doing that just adds to the vibe of it.
Speaker 5: Just absolutely Look, they're definitely referencing Hill Street Blues, as you say by the music. There was a show called Cagney Lacey, which was kind of grand breaking, I guess in its way. I mean, prior to that, in the seventies, it was a show called Police Woman with Angie Dickinson.
Speaker 3: Gone police squad. No relation, but Cagney Lacey was two female cops who were not just you know, busting crimson solving crimes. They were also dealing with like sexism in the in the police force. You know.
Speaker 5: One of them had like a stay at home husband or husband who was not necessarily beata mail as a result by his wife being this cop. But it's kind of like occasionally when I going to make lunch for the kids. Again, Yeah, he didn't do it all that often. I maybe he did. I didn't watch all that, but so the episodes that I saw certainly tackled those themes. And yeah, yeah, I think it's nice that in the space the relatively short duration of this episode they cover.
Speaker 3: All those things. And I wouldn't say cover them in depth, but they give them just enough of a not and just enough attentions like, oh well, yeah, it means that, oh I'm feeling this as a result, there's a good episode, really well put together. It is, indeed. Yeah, And I was mentioning earlier the Canterfeit Jean's story. Sorry that was pitched at because at the time there had been an explosion in the jeans market. I don't have any recollection of this, But apparently in the mid nineties jeans were a big deal. Maybe Jenny Jerry Seinfeld brought that out, who knows, and David Merkan thought it was the right time to technicky out of it. It feels weird that when did this episode in ninety five, I've always thought what a random fucking crime syndicate it is, because to have Herman do it as well, it's not like they even have a regular Herman. Why is Herman in the card game in the first Why would even invite him over? It's just so weird, and he's just got that kind of very suspicious vice. I would buy into Herman being the guy that would do this, but it just feels so out of left field. I saying it was a very good episode, that does feel like a little bit of a stretch to go, like we've got to fit all this in. Yeah, so, yeah, that's a bit of a it's a bit much.
Speaker 5: But the whole counterfeite blue jeans thing, I mean, you tend to think of one thing I think of when I think of counterfor jeans or even like the jeans black market is you know, when communism was really big in like the eighties. But you know, people in like the Soviet Union or in East Germany or whatever, it's kind of like, oh no, we have to keep wearing dungleries.
Speaker 3: Oh I wish I could wear Libo stirrels. You've got some crafty guy who's like, here you go.
Speaker 5: You know, I bought a dozen pair, you know, through my cousin Dimitri and the States, and I'm bringing back and I'm just selling for like a five hundre percent markup.
Speaker 3: We used to see this shit all the time at the Sunday Market in July. Oh yeah, it's just the guy, same guy. Remember I remember it's a data data jack. It's what alig kind of thing, I'll say. And I got one from the Sunday Market. I knew it wasn't real, but I looked fine kids school board. It cost MO twenty bucks instead of a hundred bucks. Old happy, Yeah. I find yeah, dupes and knockoffs really fast. I mean, apparently I don't know what the kids are into these days, but apparently dupes are like a big deal. Like, why am I paying eighty bucks for this fragrance from Nateen nineteen ten? Why am I paying?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm probably underselling it. Why am I paying eighty bucks for the small bottle of Calvin Klein fragrance when for twenty dollars I can get Kelvin nine that smells exactly the same.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's not that difficult.
Speaker 5: And you know what, is someone going to really come up and slip my hanger. That's a dupe, that's a but even if they.
Speaker 3: Are, they go, well, good financial management on my part. Fuck you, I was telling you when I got the lego recently, that's right, lepend. I think it's called the Chinese Lego, and I've got the Millennium falcon one. So I had this years ago and I didn't quite parts were missing and things. As I was building up parts we got knocked off the table and I sort of had to couple it together at the end it didn't quite look exactly right. Nicko ended up smashing it by act and she knocked it over by accident. So I bought a new one, right one hundred and fifteen bucks. It costs like twelve hundred bucks brand new. No one would know any different when it's up on the shelf. But I've got that one friend that's like, it's not real lego, mate, You do realize they make this in the same factory. All comes from China.
Speaker 5: Daniel and I have been speaking recently. Well, when I say recently, I mean yesterday setting up new channels gool Shit's fuck Mate, where it's like, oh, everything's just going wrong, going off the rails.
Speaker 3: Some of the podcasts will or YouTube. I'll listen to or watch.
Speaker 5: Something a lot of them bring up is like, stop spending money on expensive sunglasses. They make ray bands and the ones you get from the seven to eleven at the same place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew, but.
Speaker 5: I will never stop. I will never stop buying expensive sung Everyone's got their blinds, but that's mine.
Speaker 3: Just Yeah, I've been raised is not worried about what the tag says. Yeah. As a kid, though, it was it had to be a particular brand, you know, Quicksilver. If I was wearing board shows, you had to have Quicksilver rip Kil it was a local company. I'm very much. I'm sorry. I'm a complete brand whur. Yeah, I try to be north Face. That's where every Jackie you have is a north Face. That's like your new thing. Now I see everyone wearing north Face and I'm like, what the hell is the north Face. I'm so old I over know what it is. But I see everyone wearing it, Like the name make good out doors you wear? Is that what it is? Outdoors you wear? See kids wearing it? I see greens. I'm like, what the hell is this north Face? Where did it come from? I always made on special? Triggers me the fact does your back have the logo as well? It does? Why why is it on the back? It just it upsets me because it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't I think I have. I think I'm like it might be on one of the sleeves as well.
Speaker 3: Because it's not in a proper like. It's not. It's the back design. It's like a pockets on the back. It triggers me. Hate it. It just means if you know, you know, I was just to go in case you can't see the front. Yes, I am wearing the north Face, just in case you were wondering. Okay, well this is I saw it. I didn't even realize your worrying. I go, oh, wait a minute's so north Face. Everyone's wearing this ship Now.
Speaker 5: I'm not necessarily like north Face pilled or it, but I mean I can't because I've got a few items.
Speaker 3: But it used to be country Road.
Speaker 5: I've still got a fair bit of that ship they can. But at the same time, I like to think I'm saving enough. Oh the new catalog's out, O time to get, you know, a whole new wardrobe or whatever. It's like you catalogy me this is this is going to be on special in like two months, you know, and they're going to have the whatever sales. And that's if I like it, I'll get it. But I've also reached the stage in my life where it's like I basically wear six.
Speaker 3: Things I my wardrobe. I don't know about you guys right at home, but tell me if you're the especially when you got kids, I wear I swear the same five shirts and three pairs of shorts and two bears of pants all the time. Right I wear them. They go in the wash pile, They go in the wash, they get folded, put onto the couch, and I just grab my clothes from there. My wardrobe is filled with clothes that never even get looked at. Oh yeah, it's just they just sit there, folded. It's full of clothes that never get warm because I just wear the same shit over and over again. Is that how it works now pretty much. You just need your wardrobe is full of clothes that you don't wear anymore, and the clothes that you do wear just pile up on the floor like you fold them, put them on your end of your bed. He just grab them from there. You put it, even put them away. Oh yeah, that's that's very much. Okay, Yeah, I know I was the only one. I said to Nicol the other day, what do I even have all these clothes? I literally wear the same five fucking shirts every week. I don't know what to say. Say.
Speaker 5: Look, it took me a long time to learn that. I mean I probably knew it, yeah, innately, but you know, I look back throughout, say my forties. Yeah, it's like I bought so I buught so many clothes and like, yeah, there might have been some shirts in there that I wore maybe once or twice. There's various reasons for it, like that looks really good and I'll look great in it once I lose ten kilos. It's the goal ship aspiration shirt. I was going through this the other night, and I was going to this event. It's like it was the jacket and tie kind of deal. I was trying on various jackets, and there was one board thinking this is going to be me, This is going to be like, yeah, oh guys wearing his good jacket a word.
Speaker 3: But on Twitter it's like this is not mean or why did I buy this? Yeah? For me, though, I struggle. I always keep going to the wardrobe, going and going clear this stuff. I'm going to go through what I'm not going to wear any more, get rid of it, right. I struggle to get rid of clothes because I have the idea of mind, what if I want to wear it one day? Oh yeah, I haven't worn it for five plus years. Correct, I didn't even know I still had it. But I can't part with it because I might want to wear it one day. Correct? What the hell is wrong with me? It's not just you, it's not just here, it's everyone, all right? How do we get to talking about that? Other jeans? The gens Apparently jeans fad was a big thing. The ninety five that's the other thing. And then god knows how many pairs of jeans I've got. I've got two, No, I have many, Okay. I also found an interest in that for an episode that used the shortened intro, which means I'm running long time. They spent almost an entire minute. Think it's about forty seven seconds or so, about fifty seconds on just extended laughs if you include the initial cop laugh, Homer's obnoxious laugh of Flanders, and the final laugh, almost a minute of just obnoxious laughing. I guess you could say the cop ones at least they have a payoff. Homers one sort of goes on a little bit too long, but I guess it's trying to expersize how much a jerky is. Yes, the cop one was I guess used effectively in the first one goes for fifteen seconds and the second one ten seconds. This is just the film ned coming out of me. But I like to think that the second one was shorter because they had a bit more respectful and they went, what are we laughing for? And they stopped. Homer's lae goes for twenty two seconds. That sounds like a long time. It really is. Man, Well let's just sit here in silence for twenty two seconds.
Speaker 5: No, let's not do it. Yeah, I'm going of course, the cop laughs are for comic effects.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, well, yeah, they're laughing at the idea of Marge becoming a cop or whatever. I don't think it's they're laughing do of anyone becoming a cop?
Speaker 3: Really, but about it, it's like, I think it's meant to be or an initiation ritual, even because you know, the minute they like you stop laughing, it's like, oh, well come on, come on in here now, now you're a cup. It changes the whole perspective of that scene if you look at it as if to say, you're laughing because why would you want to be a cop, as opposed to oh, you're a woman who thinks he can be a cop. I think they're going for the woman angled, but you can see it your way as well.
Speaker 5: There's also that thing about you know, you've heard about initiation rituals into games where it's like, okay, well you get beaten up to get and you get beaten up on the way haddle of the swollen ass or with biker gangs or street gangs or whatever, it's like, well that's your initiation ritual. We laugh at you, and then you're in. Now we laugh at you for whatever. It's like, now you're out. But yeah, you're right, a lot of prolonged laughter in there, and you would think, oh, well, that's normally indicates spiller. But as you said, shorter introductory period, shorter credit sequence, why is.
Speaker 3: That the case? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you raised an interesting point about, you know, Homer's long laugh and the prank that he plays on on Flanders.
Speaker 3: That was for me the one moment where I went, I I'm all for pranks, but this one just felt like they were really doubling down on home of being an asshole.
Speaker 5: I don't think they've got that in I don't think they've got the death of mord Flanders five seasons down the line in mind at all. But yeah, it kind of rings a little differently when your family was dead. It's not but when you like is it. Yeah, I don't playing a long game, but I think.
Speaker 3: It just is a shitty joke anyway. It's just it doesn't add anything to it. Homer being a jerk to Flanders works, but this one felt a little too cruel.
Speaker 5: There's being a yeah, that's exactly right, that's exactly word it was about to use. There's being a jerk and playing you know, playing a gag or just even like Flanders, and but being going out of your way to be a deliberate fucker.
Speaker 3: Like that's like it's like when you see pranks online, and thankfully these pranks are finished now, but you see the clown pranks with the chainsaws and things like that, and to be standing over this mock dead body and you think, this guy's just waiting at the bus stop and the guy's rocked up in a chainsaw, will be the chainsaw a dressing the clown own. Of course he's gonna run scared, and that's not a prank. That's I think about that all the time. I mean, you know, imagine if yeah, I'm at the bus stop.
Speaker 5: Of course I would be very I would punch out the clam because you know, I'm a tough guy, but you know, I probably yeah, anyway, anybody would, I would do the most. Ned Flanders gets the purple drapes response, Yeah, that's what would happen. And then it's online and then I'm that guy forever, yes, forever, yep. But sometimes you see people retaliate and they go, it's just a prank, mate, and they go.
Speaker 3: Too bad, buddy, this is just a time. This is just a retaliation that happens all the time.
Speaker 5: When with tiktoks yeah or whatever, or Instagram reels away where you'll have someone like strutting around them more and yeah, having to go with something and yeah.
Speaker 3: I've seen one on hair or farting on somebody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, someone would just literally punch them and go, hey, buddy, smack.
Speaker 3: It was just a prank. No, no, no, I.
Speaker 5: Never I'm no fan of pranks in any way, shape or for him. Really, I mean, I'm reminded. I was listening to a podcast the other day where they were talking about punked. Yeah, the Ashton Culture show from the early two.
Speaker 3: That I started.
Speaker 5: It didn't it well, you had Candon camera before that, but this is doing it for people in the public eye. You know, Timberlake starts crying and all that kind of stuff. But the saddest one I've forgotten about this actually, but as Jennifer Love.
Speaker 3: Hewitt, I can remember this. Actually. Apparently she was like, Oh, we've set.
Speaker 5: Up an audition or you know, a meeting with Jennifer Love Hewitt and she's going to get like a cool role in this cool indie movie and it's gonna really, you know, really change your career.
Speaker 3: And she was stoked. She was like, because I mean, she's.
Speaker 5: Party five girl and you know, can't hardly wait, and she's bubbly and sweet and all that, and it's like, oh, I get to do something. I don't think it was like I'm working with Tarantino, but it was like, oh, we're going.
Speaker 3: To experimental something different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and this could change the whole trajectory of your career. And then they go, I guess what, you were punked. It's not happened to you.
Speaker 3: And she's like, oh, so I'm not doing the movie, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, man, fuck you guys. Honestly, yeah, fuck you. Yeah. The difference between playing a joke and like breaking someone's heart.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly, and and Homer break planner is heard here brief moment. Yeah, I mean it, it's great illustration. What I mean.
Speaker 5: Ned's clearly trying to be the good hearted person. He's like, you got me that time.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 5: But hey, if I'm just the kind of dickhead who could call you up and say, holy you should do.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw this on the New.
Speaker 5: Nicola rides her bike home from from you know, from the from work, right along the waterfront. Someone just kept by someone, you know, bike riders keep by a car. Man, holy ship, that's a girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not. I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if it was nigga, but holy ship, man, you might want to get down there, but really her, you would be justified.
Speaker 3: Murdering me. Fuck pranksters. Yeah yeah, not good at all. Not fun. And this was I say a guy Davids funder parties. This was the first, real, genuine this is not funny anymore. Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm you're more or up to speak with the Simpsons timeline across seasons and things like that, but I'm not going to say, oh, this is where home becomes jerk out.
Speaker 3: That's later on bit coms you but this is later on. But I mean, this is this is an this is a preview of coming attractions. Yeah, and I think too Flanner's being such an innocent person. Incent Bystander as well. I said, I'm all for home A Flanner's dynamite home A. No, Flanner's been the punching bag. But to think that his wife was dead. I know, it's just a cartoon. Everyone's going I just shut up. It's just a cartoon. Yeah, there's still it. Maybe being too sensitive, but because I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's also a little bit what they're doing is not funny. The way homes is sort of saying your family was dead but they're not. I still get a little bit of a laugh out of that, but at the same time, it's.
Speaker 3: Like, fuck it. This episode gives us the age old debate of what does Moe say? Is it a car hold or is it a car hole? And it was actually settled nearly ten years ago now, but for a long time, Simpsons fans would have debates and debates and debates and old Simpsons dot net or whatever it was right about what does Moe say? He does he say car hold or car hole? Now I'm talking people were heated. No I he says car hole. No, he says car hold. Car holders make sense neither. There's car hold. And it was just debate, debate, debate, right, and now we knew, And now we know because in twenty fifteen, our dear friend Neil from on This Day Simpson's History at Daily Simpsons on Twitter and Instagram and YouTube and whatnot. He put out the clip and says David Murky, he tad him, what is the answer here? What does he actually say? And Hanka Zari himself chimed in and he wrote, I get asked about this at least three times a year. He says it was written in the script as car hole with an E. He says, I should have enunciated it better because it's all about the way I delivered it, but because it's clearly it was written as car hole, and it's much funnier. It could wear both ways car hold and car hold. It could, but I.
Speaker 5: Think you're always in a comedy going to defer to what's more, what's more funny? Yeah, Oh, there's a hole in my house that I'd drive my car into.
Speaker 3: That's yeah. Car hold is kind of like, no, that could you could actually call it that because because the argument was that there's no hole in the ground like that, the argument the hole is in the front of it. That's the hole they're driving into.
Speaker 2: The hole?
Speaker 3: Is that what people used to say, that there's no hole in the garage?
Speaker 2: Joe?
Speaker 3: But if your team car hold, what what's wrong with you? But that is the thing. It is a car hole. Debate over debate done. Thank you, Hankers Area, Thanks Hank and David, Yes, Stevin Merkan. We also got some deleted scenes in this one here is now there's one of them in this that is whoof but heavy. So the first one though, is Marge when she's chopping salary and she's doing it really really slow, and that sort of goes on for a little bit and you're watching it, going is this leading to anything? It doesn't lead to anything. Well, originally did lead to something. It led to her chopping faster and faster and faster and faster, making it more exciting for herself, and then saying to Lisa, hand me that scarf I want to try and like the carrots blindfolded.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you pointed us out to me, because yeah, I was watching and going, surely she's going to do the long kist good night thing. Yeah, where she's clearly going to do the chopping very fast thing where she discovers she can do that, or you know, she's sort of risking the tips of her fingers by chopping really really quickly. It's, yeah, straight out of my one of my favorite movies, Long Kiss good Night, where Geena Davis recognizes that she can chop really quickly and then she throws a knife into her or she nails a tomato to the wall by throwing a knife at it. They said, chefs do that great movie long kiss, good night, check it out. Yeah, so that they actually have that.
Speaker 3: As a deleted scene though it was was marvelous. Yep. The next one here is playing up the TV cop theme. So they're watching Cops with Marges on it with Skinner and Agnes about the inflatable bath pillow, and I guess in this moment here they've changed it. So I guess the visual scene wasn't going to have him say I want my face blurred. It was going to cut the pan out of the TV and the cops are watching it, and Wiggan mistakenly thinks that he's watching t J Hooker and he says, look at He's this is the worst two pays worn yet. I had never heard of t J Hooker. I'd never new and will even Shatner as a TV cop. I never knew this existed. It's it's pretty much the antecedent of like the rookie. I did not know this. I've watched his going, I'm looking at it going, I think I'm going to watch this. Yeah, Well, William Shatner is t J Hooker a beat Cop and t J Hooker is like a home build homes or Something's TJ is the something else? TJ? Is there something else TJ Hooker? Right that I'm just going to confuse something. Oh no, no, you're damn it. We're so close because I know what you're talking. Not t J Hooker. It's TJ something and it's like TJ or or it's something Hooker, but there's Hooker homes something, l J Hooker, LJ. There we go. I think that's what I was confidered, Like what the hell they were versing home loans for no TJ hook Like, Wow, I'm going to check this show out. Yeah, see that's the eighties, man, you do a show called t J Hooker. And the third one here which I watched, is going this may be the sexiest moment of the Simpsons I've fucking ever seen, because we've had moments where margin Hammer and Newton bed and getting on Wader. This it's it's the Revere, right. So Marge gets home from a long day at work, home is asleep in bed. She starts unbuttoning your shirt and you see the white brand and aage as a skimpy bro. You got onto there Okay, cool, whatever, And she starts getting undressed and Homemo says, no, leave it on this some police working you do before you go to sleep, And she just crawls over him with her shirt completely undone, just bra with cleavage, and you're like, hod damn much. I know, like I said, I know, it's animated. Might sound weird, but that might be the sexiest Marges ever looked. It's rated and animated. Yeah, do you think that's why they removed it because it's too sexy? Because why else would you that would have added something to the scene. That's a distinct possibility. It's too too raunchy. It's so it's not raunchy, it's it's it's just with the shirt undone, the bra and everything.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, every once in a while, you know, the makers of the shows show a little bit of discretion, like people could easily take.
Speaker 3: This the wrong way. This is semi related.
Speaker 5: We we just recorded an episode of the movie Guy with Maltlon Davis this morning. We're talking about one of the greatest movie of all time, Singing in the Rain, which I rewatched yesterday and did a bit of research on. And there's a lovely extended dance sequence in a musical who Knew, But there's a distinct it's Gene Kelly dancing with a woman named sid Cheres.
Speaker 3: She's wearing a very sort.
Speaker 5: Of short skirt a bit of a leotard underneath, sort of twirls her around, and there is like a very distinct edit where she's like at this point on the on the in the twirl, lose a couple of frames and then she's at this point. I was like, Oh, I'll get the thing that we might have seen something we shouldn't. I can't reminder that's something we shouldn't. It's like, damn it, release the original cut. I'm singing in a director's cut.
Speaker 3: Maybe the other reason they could have removed this is because it's hard to take Marge as a serious cop of she But you know, I think it it's as a sense of realism to it. Absolutely, I mean, show is a real relationship. Also cops of people too. Yes, yeah, that's the thing. So I just I watched this going I'm sad this scene wasn't in the episode. Of all the letters, I thought, because sometimes you watch it's going, oh, I can see there were there one or two other scenes. There's no scene of them, but I think there's a there's.
Speaker 5: A bit of sort of Homer alluding to it's kind of hot that she's a cop. I'm pretty sure that there's.
Speaker 3: At least one other okay where he's kind of like, oh, leave the gun belt on all something like maybe, But I just think that moment I had the.
Speaker 5: Feeling throughout them. If they didn't make it explicit, they were sort of a vibe. It was like, it's kind of hard that marches.
Speaker 3: A cap because it's the it's the mister plow ending, that's what it is. Leave the shirt on. It's the same kind of thing. But I'm just I'm watching, just going aw, that's a shame that that was that was left out. If you're a fan of everything we do here at four Finger Discamp, but you're kind of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discamp Family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcast, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. Go ahead join the Family. Today's support your palas Guy and Dano for as little as one dollar per month patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount.
Speaker 2: My favorite.
Speaker 3: What were your favorite moments from the episode? Though I had a fair few.
Speaker 5: Okay, Sually, we're recording this episode for many reasons. This is a good this is a good episode of the Simpsons to talk about it.
Speaker 3: We're actually recording this because the Patron's voted for it. Because we do have monthly polls now and we pick a theme. This month's theme was Star Wars and there is a very very brief Star Wars moment in this episode. And the people I thought people would choose Mad to the Mob with Luke Skywick and Mark Hammell himself. No, they went with this one. So the Springfield connection was voted by the patriot, which is why we are talking about it today. Yes, but dear the simp well, Home and Marge are doing a Dano or Nicola. They're enjoying a live performance of orchestral music, a little bit of John Williams in there. I just love that Home was a real pain in the our Star Wars fanboy, that's too much use of basoon or some ship like that the joke, or that it comes in too late, whatever it is. Yeah, but the thing is, you think the joke is going to be that Home doesn't like getting out in culture and that kind of thing. No, it's he thinks they're not doing a good job, you're doing it wrong. Yes, but they do dumb him down by saying John Williams rolling around in his grave. Yes, thankfully that gag still works because it means the great man himself is still with us. Correct. Yes, Oh my god. Don't even Hollywood dies when he does? I think pretty much shut up shop. Yeah, movies an't going to sound good. I enjoyed. I was just a big fan of the of the Hill Street Hill Street Blues version of the theme. I've already discussed that. I also really liked when Marge handcuffs Homer's not here that maybe that's it. Maybe so many gags that as a kid, it takes me back to when you got planned for tonight count me out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the little montage, it's not really a montage, but it's a series of scenes where Marge's training now the inner dar Devil's order to come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it comes into you like Rolle trolley. Yeah, yeah, trolley was great. My favorite was when she goes into the into the car hole in the garage garage, bloody dark. We're going to do that thing again where it's like, is a garage or garage?
Speaker 3: Say how you'l always say, I'm going to go put something in the garage. I'm gonna put something in the garage. I say garage. Okay, well it.
Speaker 5: Is what it is, the garage. But her rolling out the door, now, this was maybe my favorite moment of the whole episode.
Speaker 3: Just Marge been so happy with Marge. Yeah, proud of herself. Loved it, Yeah, just loved it. I thought that was I don't know why. It's like a little part of herself. She's finally letting out.
Speaker 5: Yes, I talk about this, Abyss, I've talked about this. But yeah, the Bear, we like the Bear TV show, The Bear coming back soon.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's the episode. Yeah, spoons Forks talks. Yeah, yeah, it would be one of three things. It's a really good but there's only three good episode. It was a nice fourpence but.
Speaker 5: In that episode, yeah, it's cousin Richie's views, it's kind of a bit of a screw up bit of a passenger. He's got talent that other people can see hints of and being misused yeah, and are helping to nurture even if he doesn't see it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: And he has a great night at the restaurant that he's been sort of seconded to, and he realizes, oh, holy shit, there's there's something that I can do, and there's something I'm really really good at, and everyone around him starting to see it and encourage it, and he sees it too. He drives home singing to Taylor Swift's daughter song. Yeah, yeah, I think it's a love story.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes me so happy. I queue that up all the time, man sing Taylor Swift, just realizing I've found my place yeah well yeah yeah, And that's what this bit reminded me of. Just finally I know what I'm good at. Yeah, yeah, my purpose. Yeah and just brilliant just barge. Yeah. Loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it. What else? I was a bigger fan. I was a big fan of I always thought this was a mistake my entire life, up until maybe fewety when I realized what it was. Always thought that was so weird, you know, when you're sometimes in your house, right, and you swear your lights flick off and down like it's like the house and have a blackout, like it doesn't go fully fledged blanket sort of phase a little bit, yes, and you'll say to someone to just go dark and they go known. You're like having it straight. Look at that moment. There's a moment here Hans Moleman is on the what's it called when you're the death row or death row the green mile, Right, he's walking down right, he's been led to the electric chair and it cuts to Marge and Homer and it phased in and outsidely and that's the joke that he's being executed. Yeah, because really shit, Yeah, the electric chack is drawing all the powers. So there was absolutely like that is one of the most subtle gags of all time. But it's so good. It's good, isn't it.
Speaker 5: A couple of other things that I really enjoyed. We're talking about just great gags, and there's great subtle gags. There was just wonderful timing on some of these jokes.
Speaker 3: I mean, the whole or just good joke construction, the whole Homer Butt fake out when it's like you did what like I bought you now a clipper, I saying, I'm sorry, I'm still angry you.
Speaker 5: I'm still you know, annoyed. I'm still freaked out by your mom telling me that she's become a cop. Yeah, because you were initially think, oh he's you did what he's yelling at a much Oh no, he's yelling at a butt. Why is he yelling because margins are top?
Speaker 3: That's good?
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean it's kind of it's not when I say basic, it's like, oh, all jokes should.
Speaker 3: Be this good. Well, they did this joke last week on the season twenty episode in the Name of the Grandfather, going, you mean you have to get on a plane to go to island or something like that, and then it cuts to them looking at the plane.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like fundamentals, It's like just really good, just basic go. When it's done, well, it's like, oh, yes, yeah, you just really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: But also I just really love this. When Marge's doing Hogan's Awe, you.
Speaker 5: Know that is where they the the cutouts of various things and you.
Speaker 3: Men in black, Yeah, that's right, clan's coming to you missed the baby. You missed the bie man, it doesn't dwell.
Speaker 5: Then the second he said you messed that by a man cut, Yeah, you got it, and it was just like.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's so good. Yeah, so I'm knowing when to get out. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And also I thought it was pretty funny when the oh we're going to enjoy this. Yeah, we got everything we need on you.
Speaker 3: It's pizza. You think you're so hot, don't you?
Speaker 2: Was it good?
Speaker 3: But then I love with Maudgell saying, wow, my bye blays better to be about pizza.
Speaker 5: About by the way, different design of Clancy Wigham and this say he looks a little thinner, and yeah.
Speaker 3: There is Actually I call it an error on the animator's behalf. On the they called the animators the ones that colored in right in Korea, so I think the I think they animated as well, because I actually had an issue that because guns were banned Korea, they didn't know how shells would fall out of a gun. That actually asked some of the US animates, how do we draw these shells fall? The Americans? We know so in the nighttime scenes, Wigham's hair is black in this right right, And I had someone tell me once what's because it's dark. I went, but March's in the same scene and it has still blue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's an interesting animation in this. Yeah, you're right. And going back to season six episode, now that we've been doing season twenty and now that we're doing high definition episodes as well, it's like, oh, well, oh, this feels like coming home old school and drawn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Four to three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to me, it was really funny during that laughing scenons when Marge first joined the cops. You look at Wigham and it's kind of like it's that Star Wars thing when with the Tusken Raiders, like, oh, we only got three friends.
Speaker 3: His clansing ha ha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's going to be bad audio. Sorry, because I'm doing the clancy. Yeah, but it's just him moving back and forward, back and forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually didn't double check, but I would love if they just used the same animation from the first laugh of the second laughter, just put it. That would be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah all right, but yeah, those were some of my favorite monthes. There's gonna be more as we talk about the episode.
Speaker 2: Next question, you there eating the Beast.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to ask you some questions. Now. My first question for you is how many sponges are being previewed in the latest copy of Sponge and Vacuum.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I was looking at something different.
Speaker 3: Think of you're gonna have a fifty fifty chance to get this right. It's here the year before or the year after? This came out nineteen.
Speaker 5: Ninety God, I've already forgotten the year again.
Speaker 3: This came out ninety five. Okay, so I'm gonna say it's nineteen ninety six. Well, it's ninety six, is the answer? Ninety six punches? Yes? Okay.
Speaker 5: Speaking of Sponge and Vacuum magazine, how much is in this shiel would cost?
Speaker 2: Ooh?
Speaker 3: I wrote down the prices for the other ones, the sports sports ones. Ah, four ninety five, three three ninety five. There was another one that was for ninety sports. Yeah, there's another one. Yeah, a skateboard is considered what kind of vehicle according to March? That's why yes, to wear his knee pads? Is it class nine? Crayne year class last nine?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay. I don't have that many trivia questions. I'm sorry, but I do have Who is the buyer of the counter for Jans? What's his name?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Good question? Now what is it? Mister Jericho? Mister Jericho, My final question for you is who was in the drunk tank at the police station where Marge is giving Lisa the tour? Bunny? It is bunny, indeed, all right, short and sweet, trivia is done? Is that? How many questions did you ask? I ask three? Okay, let me see if I can find one more. Okay, then find one more for me. Well, I'm going to ask you a question and you can lead into why there was a mistake here. So Chief Wigham puts Marge on the beat where because she's vulnerable.
Speaker 5: And you I always that love the only cops of God Like, it's a donut duty or backup donut yea or nap time, brilliant, let's be a cop. Meanwhile, Marge has to patrol junkie Bille and bum Town. But when she goes to what is it the.
Speaker 3: She's just walking down the street.
Speaker 5: It's a law firm, that's right, Oh, that's right, it's Lionel Hudson's law firm. Where is that located? Junkie Town? The hell going on?
Speaker 3: I hope someone going vie for that era. It's a different voice. But anyway, that was contributed that Phil Harp, it would have been great if next door there was a discosto store called Bunkytown. That's correct. It won't take you take me down to junkie but Jokingtown is such a great name. It is good, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm willing to accept this mistake for the fact that we've got Junkie Town.
Speaker 5: I could ask you one question for it. What is the name of the gentleman who was put aside the copy of Sponge and Vacuum format.
Speaker 3: It's a really weird name it is. It's check my notes, my lad to you can, because I'll try, I do it quickly enough, so it's going to be Yes, Benevan it is benevn Stanciano. Yeah, And we never see him again. We never do. What's all that about? I have fond memories though, of the guy that ran the news agency when I was a kid. You know you, the guy that ran the news agency because he had the magazines. And the guy that ran the video store. Oh yeah, first name basis best buddies. Absolutely, I'd go hang out and read the magazines again, walk three stores down Champagne Video and I look through the videos and the guy was like, Mama, luck leave me there. She go, Oh where are you? We're just gonna go to the video store. She knew I was safe. She knew once I entered that video store, I wasn't going anywhere else. Absolutely yeah. And she knew that, you know, Chris behind the counter, he'd make sure I wouldn't leave as well. God Bless Chris, God bless video stores. Oh yeah, Okay, so that's the end of our trivia, which means it's now time to get into the names of the people who bring you this show each and every week, and of course we always start with the incredible, the amazing Kati G. Thank you so much, Katie for continuing to support us here with your one hundred dollars support each and every month. You're an absolute champion. This show is brought to you by our supporters on Patreon. Without you, guys, this show probably wouldn't exist anymore. I'd be working on a fish and chip shop somewhere. So thanks for helping us continue and was invested in New Year and all that kind of stuff. You guys are absolute legends. We love each and every one of you, so, as I said Katie G, we also have Justin Parker, Chaney, Macker, Alliert j O'Neill, is A Bella, Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Dvi, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental Planned Flood, Bella Winterbank, Jack mcfatten, Heath, applebee Aadrick McLeod, Mark Trelevin, Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, Tala, and Riquez, Deklan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Shepherd, Joe Reading Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lange, Damie Miller, Charlie Joe. And that is all the names of our stone Cutters. And don't forget. If you have joined the family on Patreon recently and you're on the five dollar plus tire and I have not read your name out, do not fear. In the next mail bag episode the community podcast at the end of the month, we're reading through all of your names as well, so stay tuned for that as well. That's right, Dana would never forget your names. That's his job. That is my job. Everything's my job. Okay, it is time now where we're gonna run through the episode The Springfield Connection, which originally aired May seventh, nineteen ninety five, guest starred Phil Harmon as Lionel Hearts. You always gonna say, guestar Phil Harmon, evey chance to mention Phil Hartman, here gonna take it. Production code to F two one, written by Jonathan Collier, directed by the legendary Mark Kirkler. So, as I said May seventh, nineteen ninety five, that would mean that the top three films at the US box office when this episode originally aired were in number three. Well, actually, I'm gonna say number four as well, because number four was Bad Boys, So I thought Bad Boys was number four at the US box officers. Cops were hot at the time. Number number three. We had Friday. Oh yeah, yeah, the comedy Next Friday was the sequel to that one, but we didn't get a third. Should have been to Friday, Next Friday? What should have been last Friday? Friday after next? Do we have a Friday at the next the film? I feel like we had a trilogy. I feel like we may have had a trilogy.
Speaker 5: With I get the feeling that Cbe actually wants to reboot the Friday franchise.
Speaker 3: That's see Okay, anyway, but that was number that was number.
Speaker 5: Sorry, he just reminded me of I'm sure we've talked about this, but watching Straight Straight out of Compton, the movie of n NWA and Cub's done really well for himself. But they have a seen where he's like sitting down at his computer, like typing type of something away and his wife, how's Friday coming, honey?
Speaker 3: Pretty good? That's where the iconic DM Chris Tucker. Chris Tiker indeed was that his first role? Was it? I think it might have been one that sort of introduced him to the scene. Okay, well, Number three at the US box office at the time of this airing was Friday. Number two was While You Were Sleeping A Lovely Movie, Bill, Bill Pullman, Bullet yep. And number one was French Kiss, which I can honestly say, I have no idea where that is, Meg Ryan and Kevin Klein. Sounds like a movie I'd probably enjoy with Nicol on a Friday night. You may well. It's it's kind of a sweet enough rom com. It's a little it's fine. The film I've never seen, and that the film clip because it was back in an era where the film clip for songs. If it was tied in with the film, you'd see scenes from the film throughout because it came on yesterday, and Nicolay goes, I've never seen this movie. We should watch it City of Angels because Iris by Goo Goo Dolls has scenes from the movie in there. Oh yeah, so I feel like I've seen it, but I never had actually seen it. So is City of Angels worth Seecus, Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. It is. It's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, putting the nerd hat on, putting the nerd hat on. City of Angels came out in nineteen ninety eight, starring Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. It is based on a beautiful, beautiful movie, a German movie called Wings of Desire.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 5: The plot of it is angels are among us all the time you're feeling a bit sad, they might whispering, hey, life's not that bad, all that kind of stuff, and they're also watching it, and they're also very envious of us because you know, they're angels, but we're human. We get to feel stuff and do stuff.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 5: One angel gets so sort of taken with life in general. But also this one particular woman's like gonna renounced angelhood become a human being. Wait a minute, how I'm hurting? Oh wait a minute, I'm feeling pain and suffering. But wait a minute, I mean love also spoil anything, No, no unified theory a four finger discount. We recently did raisins on going down to South Park. What does Butter's talk about? It's like, you know what, Yeah, I feel sad but also felt really good. And if I feel this out, I must have felt really good. Makes me feel human, makes me feel like alive. That's a lot what City of Angels is about? Okay, worth checking out checking out City of Angels, but also worth checking out Wins of Desire.
Speaker 3: There's that an older film, is it? It's from the eighties. Okay, it's not too old man, of course. Yeah, City Angel is a good one. So the chopboy gag this episode is by the way, Sorry.
Speaker 5: Just checking breaking news. Just wiki Friday.
Speaker 3: The film success led to two sequels, Next Friday and Friday After Next. Soon as he said, I wait, wait a minute, that is a film, right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: When was Friday After Next? That was two thousand and two. Next Friday was two thousand.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize it in a trilogy so long ago. Well, good for them, there we go. But the chopboard gag I will not mock missus, dumbface. And the couch gag was the one where Homer enters as James Bond and shoots at the screen. Apparently it was very similar to Deshaun Connery era. That's what it says somewhere. It's a reused couch gag from and Maggie makes three. Okay even to the era where they went. We're not making new ones anymore like this. So the episode kicks off with margin Homer. They are in there at the Jepidar Springfield Park and they're listening to the Symphony Orchestra of the Springfield Pops and playing Star Wars songs. The sign at the front reads tonight at eight Medfly Spraying eight fifteen Springfield Pops. What's POP stand for Springfield Pops. That's a really good question. I was like, is that the orchestra? Because we say the Melvin Symphony Orchestra.
Speaker 5: The msay, but there's an orchest called the Boston Pops.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that would be it. Then it's the orchestra what it's short for, I'm not sure. And then at a thirty they're going to be doing a second round of the Spring. So Marge is glad that they got out of the house. You know, we're going to be learning some culture whatnot. But Homer, he's not angry at the house. He's angry the butchering the classics.
Speaker 5: The pops. It's a symphony orchestra, but they will specialize in light classical and popular music.
Speaker 3: Okay, then so since the buffoon came in too late, he's angry about this and too many lasers and mirror ball and John Williams be rolling around in his grave. Then they transition into Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star, because the star wars that kind of thing, and he but thinks he's so intelligent. It's satirical. Satirical, Yes, I wonder if anyone else got that. It looks over at home homes like we're out of here. It's the purest prick. I think it's very funny. They're walking through a rough neighborhood. Why they didn't just drive there, I don't know. But you know, we've been to festivals here in Geelong at the Mountain need what's it called to need. What's the area called, the place where it's held. It's a wine er state or something pedible, whatever it's called, where they have the day on the green, the fucking shit show. If you drive your car there, don't do it. Oh God, I understand if Homer Image didn't drive to it for the same reason Jebedi I Spreatiel Park would have been full of cars. They didn't do it. So they're walking home through a dangerous neighborhood, especially dangerous for them for their upper lower middle class types.
Speaker 5: Yes, and then he says it relates to you know what we were talking about recently without power Luke from the ABC. Yeah, exactly, And so he says to avoid eye contact, what's your pocketbook? And suspect everyone. But then he immediately gets sucked into playing three card Monty because, as he calls it, easy money. I have memories of this when I've mentioned before in Hyde Park in London, the old guy doing the whole this is you get them right, because they always let you win the first one because like, oh okay, I can win this, and in the second one you double your money from the first, but you go on bet fifty bucks from the get go because they want people watching.
Speaker 3: To think you can actually do this. So you bet a lot at the start, and then they have to let you win the first one. You win your fifty bucks and you go, I'm done. They're like, fuck, there you go, Dan, do crack the make you always win the first time if there's a crowd there. They want people to see that somebody can do this. So bet bet big at the start, you'll win it, and then just walk away. But the problem is people can't walk away.
Speaker 5: I feel like that guy on any sports gamble again, responsibily, you win big, you'll lose more. Dan's not a professional. Maybe don't, well, just don't do it. If you must do this, then do it that way. Just maybe don't do it. Don't do it at all.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: But so this is where it's Snake and Marge tries to point out, you know, I think this is read because look over there, this this guy here, he's winning. This guy Ki's winning. Yeah, but he looks just like Snake. Now he is Snake's brother. We never see him again. I did some research. He calls him bros. I'm assuming it's his brother. Looks just like him. What do you think happened to Snake's brother. Do you think he still lives in Springfield? What does he do for an actual living? Where is he now? What is Snakes?
Speaker 5: I think that he was so traumatized by this whole event that he straightened up and flew right and now he's like working as a CPA somewhere you reckon, Oh yeah, helping troubled youth. I think so, yeah, oh yeah, that's that's what he does in his downtime. You know, he's down at the rec center and don't do what Donnie don't did?
Speaker 3: I can buy into that. Tries to get Snake onto the right path and Snake's lot Snate tries but just can't get out of them. That's right. Yeah, they've got Glory there with what's her name, jale D? Yeah yeah, jail D yeah yeah, just taking him down the bad path. Snake cheats him though, by asking him to choose a red card when actually there is no red card. They're roll black even Homers like, how could you? And surely you don't blame me? So then Marge calls calls him out, how do you pray on the greedy and stupid like that? And Snake bales but nobody goes to stop him. So Marge's like, well, if no one's going to stop him, I'm going to do it. And as she explains, sometimes regular citizens just get a rush of blood ahead and ajorenal and they do things they shouldn't. We get a fund little chase sequence here, though only goes about ten seconds or so. But like, this episode was filled with lots of fun sequences just like this, and I'm leaping ahead a little bit here, but it also yea ties into like just really good gag construction of really good gag execution. With Homer getting out of breath, it's like, oh, you're playing this a little bit long. He was like, oh okay.
Speaker 5: But however, many minutes later when you see him again, he's still doing this bath there.
Speaker 3: Okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yes, so yeah, but back to the the Springfield connection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in progress. So she corners Snake in the alleyway, so he turns around and pulls a knife on her.
Speaker 1: I must warn you, Yeah, sometimes ordinary people that did the Yeah, I had a surge of adrenaline.
Speaker 3: See this is totally as I said Nicolay in New York when that guy tried to Jubis at the subway and she was just like, oh you And I'm like, oh man, we are going to die down here. You realize where we are, New York. We're in New York.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the cops then arrest Snake. Snake says, you'll be back on the streets in twenty four hours and I'll try to make it twelve. Yeah, And it's just, yeah, just pointing out how dumb the police forces, isn't it.
Speaker 2: This episode.
Speaker 5: You don't get the greatest picture, but it's you. March seems to exemplify the best of it, community service and that kind of do.
Speaker 3: But these people that get pushed out because they can't handle the corruption. What is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Homer arrives to check on her, who's been driven in the police car. It says, it's great scene. The cops save a hysterical woman and Dan's on distress, that kind of thing, just patronizing her, even when she says she's okay, easy in our sweetheart home. He's here like he's done something. It's just real. I don't think he's deliberately doing it. It's just how it's just the howards programmed that society. So the next day, Lisa is. She gets Bart in a armlock of some kind of asking March, just how you did it? That's what you did? She says, so much as to let him go, and Barbara tends like I didn't hurt again because my sister can't hurt me. That can't possibly be thing. He walks off and clearly he's in pain, and Lisa asks if it's the most exciting thing she ever did. She says it was great, but no chopping salary is pretty exciting too, and we get the deleted scene, but we don't actually get it, but we would normally get the deleted scene. If you're a fan of everything we do here at fourth Finger discaump, but you're kind of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discamp Family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today as support your paralas Guy and Dano for as little as one dollar per month at Patreon dot com slash four finger discount. Now I want to take this moment here to show my appreciation. We must not forget the opportunity to show our appreciation for a solid homemade vegetable soup. Oh yes, one of my favorite things in this world. My great nan used to make it more younger, right, and no, no one made it anywhere near as good as my great and your mum's or your NaN's. Vegie SIPs always your favorite because it's what you've wrong with, right. We would go to her house on school holidays and on a Wednesday, she lived here on Church Street, not far from you, and she would make us veggie soup for lunch. We fucking love it, right, we'd love it. But there's the only time we'd ever eat veggies be excited for veggies. Anyway, that was a great NaN's house. My friends would come to our place on school holidays and I asked if they can come to her house to eat her veggie soup. Kids would come to eat veggie soup, right. And then when she passed my nan Marlene, she sort of started. She took over the role. She was near the veget soup made it exactly the same, and I was, but how does she do it? And we used to help out Nan making it with parsnips and turnips and all this shit that you wouldn't never even look at. Oh no you never read it on a plate. No, you look like it all added up to this delicious, thick, delicious veggie soup. And she had this this secret recipe. And should I say, I think I might have even said the podcast it is a spread. What do you think the secret recipe of NaN's soup was? Mmm, there's a bit of veggie mighte there. I'm sure it's veggie might, Yeah, chicken noodle soup and veggiemite there, Yeah, the vegie might, all the salt in it. It just I tried it without the vegie might and then push put vegimi in it, mix it through. It's like, ah, that's the eleventh Herban spice, you know. So I just wanted to show appreciation for veggie soup because it's just as delicious. Oh yeah, I need to do it soon. I need to make some because I always say I'm gonna make it. Like Nan, you say you're gonna do things, you never do it, But veggie soup, it's you never never has to have some veggie soup in the fridge during winter.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, soups marvelous and particularly a good veggie soup. Margaret Mary made a very very good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But it's always it's always the thing that your mum or some memory of your family will have a certain dish that.
Speaker 3: You just adore and only they can make it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And for me, it's like the little egg and bake pies that my maid growing up. My sister Prew makes them occasionally she even shemits like they're not as good as mumps, and I've made my own.
Speaker 3: I'm like, they're close, but they're closed. But no, she knows.
Speaker 5: Exactly the right amount of powdered mustard to put in or water, but it was just the right amount of sold or oh you use this type of onion, but not that all that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Still good. But it's like they and they have the same pants when you're a kid too. Is it the pan a magic pair? Yeah? I remember when Nichola went to England earlier this year in February. It was February, yees, February, and Nicholas rosotto is my favorite food that she makes. I love her result, and I thought, I'm just gonna try and make it because I thought it can't be that hard. And I ate it and I went, yeah, I think I much as like Nicola mast Sometimes it's bestly the classics to the person that created him. So now margin's at the grocery store. She's looking for different food to purchase, and she comes across ham no more spam, sandar hamskin, devil with hands, devil hand, which is just hamm with spices through it, apparently, I think so. Yeah, but any ham out of her can is just iffy to me. It's a last resort. Yeah, I'm not gonna be eat ham and of a can ham it anymore. But still just the idea of spam, just like this chunk of slamy ham. Yeah, slamy ham. But then she takes a trolley ride, which you know we've all done from times a time. I still do it occasonally. It's a bit of fun when no one's looking, no one's around, and she accellently let's go and it flies off into the giant cheese stand, which is featuring itchy it cheese. That says. Then she has arrived home and she slides under the garage door. Just like Indiana Jones. You were saying, Ude, I noticed another animation era here. The car was blue. Oh her car, her station wagon is like a ready color orange. You ready color letting the sign down? Yeah, and not a great day for the animators at all. Then be benevann stance you whatever be. He gives Marge the lettterst copy of Sponge and Vacuum. Sounds a little wise guys, it does. That's why I was surprised it wasn't the wise guy. Yeah, but I guess the wise guy wouldn't be nice. This guy seems like the guy that you want to giving your magazines ordering for you. He's got his ship together. Yeah, but she sees she seems more keen now on the Death Sports magazine. So she's got Bear Eader for four ninety five, Rock Jumper, the mag for people who like to jump from rock to two five wash Pita number two at three ninety five, Dangerka Minefield's Playground for the nineties, Cliff Bike Cliff Biker mag The Art of Falling for four ninety five. But she ends up choosing or she doesn't choose it, but she looks taken with the glass Eater issue number four wine bottles our ten favorite vintages, costing four ninety five. But as she's looking at the magazines, we see the cops arrive with what we think is a criminal. All right, get in there, you're going down. I want a piece of him.
Speaker 1: You thank you pretty hard. Eh well, we got everything we need on you.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, right, word right, right right? Just better be about preacher.
Speaker 1: Actually I'm interested in becoming a police officer.
Speaker 3: Come on by. But Homer's mad as you're saying you did what and it's just the nail clipper. He's upset though, since March has decided to be a cop and she agrees to let bart come along when she's doing convictions, and Homer is now just more worried about the fact that he thinks this makes hurt the man and him the woman. You know, you're the man and the woman, and I have no interest in mean it. I'll wear the clothes the lingerie sometimes just purely for the company comfort thing. Yes, I did like here though that when she says, don't worry about it, homie, you're all good. You know you're gontam to worry about they kiss. He puts his foot the sterogy of a cliche woman foot up in the background. Now it's time for some training, and we get here saying this guy, so when do we forget the guns? We look at the badge, We'll get the freaking guns guns. That was cut out on TV when he says when do we get the freaking guns? He usould just have him saying, you know, it takes once who a weekend to get that badge, and it would just cut him saying I've had it to here with your rules and you're like, that makes no sense, what is going on here? But he used to cut out the line about the gun was back now it is back in now Disney Plus. Yeah, well then nothing's cut out now, but this is back on Food Air TV. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Rule.
Speaker 3: Yes. We did have one of our patrons asking us for some talking points and they said, is this do you think this is one of the better one scene characters. He's pretty memorable, But I wouldn't say because as a kid growing up I never saw him really the rules part of the freaking guns. Yeah, it was more confusing than anything. And you know what it feels like, is this a police academy reference or something? Because it says something about being a Police Academy reference. I've never seen the films, but he feels his design looks so unique that it looks like somebody from Yeah, it doesn't. To the best of my recollections.
Speaker 5: It has been a long time since I've seen a Police Academy movie. They certainly have a trigger happy character in the Police Academy films in the movies. But yeah, he doesn't look like a psycho like this guy. This guy looks like a genuine psycho. Oh yeah, it looks like an older Wendell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's sort of.
Speaker 5: He's very pale, and he's got the sort of like what flattop haircut and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Marge, she's doing that the training. He has trouble finding the door during the obsciccle course, which is the obviously and the gentleman references. You're saying, not the door, but just climbing out for the wall. She shoots really really well, mister Baby, mister it by Man, and she drives incredibly well. March is a great drive. Yeah, but Wigham says that he wasn't looking. He was too busy doing the magic eyebook. I could never do these magic guiebooks, and no matter how many times I tried, I had friends that could do it, and I fell like the odd one out. I was like, what's wrong with me? Why can I do this? I just I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was never really good at him either. I'd always brownie. I'd always get a headache as well. Yeah. But Marge arrives home dressed in her hard Rock Cafe shirt because they didn't have her size. But you know, you get the idea. She's a cop now over breakfast, and I love that she's already eating doughnuts like a cop? Is she in this scene? Here?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I didn't notice that is That's a good joke. Yeah, Bart says here, well, Mom, I never pitched you as an authority figure before, which is funny and sad at the same time, because that's just this episode is all about perception, women's perception. And Homer's worried for her because, you know, dangerously, so maybe he was worried for her safety at some point. And Lisa and Bart ask her, I've grown very close to you, yes, and he said they. Lisa and Bart asked, when would you have to take a bullet? Would you had to take a bullet for the mayor. She says, yes, what about a TV? No, what about a TV with a picture of the mare on it? But Lisa says, they're proud of her as long as it's constitutional. And Homus got the pepper spray and he says, one sprain and you're sap of the boarder sprays it on his food and incapacitated, and he gets the ordery watery eyes. I'd know about you, but seeing anybody with watery eyes makes my eyes water. It's like, did you see someone cry? Do you tear up? No? Because I have no soul. Oh, I know that. But now at police School, I know the police. This is police that she's on the job. There's the morning meeting. Yeah, and Would and van Zilond have taken donut Land when they cook up a fresh battery, call it in Kennelly and Earhart back them.
Speaker 5: Up by the way, speaking donuts, you yeah either, Daniels Donuts. Geelong Institution has now closed.
Speaker 3: No ship. Yeah. I thought they were doing really well. Actually, but anytime I go there, there weren't that many people there. I thought they were just everywhere. Oh okay, Well, Daniels, don't us I thought they started in Geelong for some read, which is the one that's on High Street High Daniels in the old Hungry Jet that's closed down everywhere. Yeah, because there.
Speaker 5: Were two and there's like there was one down on the Beller and Peninsula Gerally they both closed now, no.
Speaker 3: Way you mentioned them all the time Daniels Donuts. Correct, let's go to news could favorite moves are. So it's just the Geelong store that's not that's not national nationwide, it's just the Geelong store. Just the Geelong ones that sucks. I know man Daniel's Donuts in four weeks ago. Dannie's Donuts, it's so populary, were going to be sold in seven eleven stores across Australia. But in Geelong the landlord asked for too much money and they closed down. Fucking landlords. The KFC is closing down in Westfield as well because the landlord wants too much money. You know what's great about that, though, Cheeky Chicken fucking talk about Geelong institutions right. Cheeky Chicken right has been in Westfield since as my entire life. That shop out lived, it survived KFC and beat the Colonel the colonel moved in like fucking five six stores down the track in the food court, and they outstayed them. Yep, because what cheeky Chicken won the war and fucking did mate good for that? The colonel retreats in disgrace. If only Colonel Peters survived as well, oh Colonial Pete, because what happened was, here's here's the history of KFC in Geelong and the Geelong institutions. We used to have Cheeky Chicken in Westfield, which is the shopping mall, and on the streets in the hardest city we had in the streets in Jokeytown, we had Colonel Peter's right, which was Great Chicken, fucking great Chicken, Great Colonial Peters, Colonial Peter, sorry, Colonial Piece always the Colonel's KFC, and Colonial Peters was in Geelong right on the corner there. Surely that name was no accident. And then KFC moved in across the road, and I reckon. Within a year, Colonial Peters was out of business, yes, And then KOC went, we're gonna move to Westfield, and they moved to west because I reckon, they were just trying to put out cheeky Chicken night. Well, we took out the colonial peters, Let's now take out the Cheeky Chicken. Motherfucker's lost. They lost no beating in the Cheeky Chicken. So good on Cheeky Chicken. Indeed, maybe say that the KS was I never go there. I was just like, that's just sad that people losing their jobs because the landlord wants too much money. How about Westfield? Come on, guys, what are you doing? Come on, what are you doing? I mean, come on. I'm also wondering if KFC can't afford the rent, how the fuck are all the other places? Yeah, anyway, Cheeky Chicken, double thumbs up, you won the war. I was really happy to hear that. But yeah, nuts closing down, that's really sad because Nicola likes the doughnuts and they do special ones that are not free and whatnot. Correct. I'm just sad seeing any local business close down. Nothing hurt me more, I don't think than seeing Texas Hamburger's. Oh yeah, seeing Texas Hamburger closed down recently, I went, oh, shit's fucked mate, Shit's fucked mate. Absolutely Mexican graffiti and Texas Hamburgers went out of business. I was like what do you mean? Oh yeah, what do you mean? And speakers and speakers, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: As I said, they are geelong whittling away slivers of our soul little bit at the time, it really is the speakers guy.
Speaker 3: But Texas Burgers especially, that was damn sad. I couldn't believe it. I was like, this has to be an April fulls stroke. That one. That one still shadders me. I'm sure everyone out there has a local business that you just think, well, they've just been here forever, they'll be here forever, they'll outlift me, and then one day they're gone, and you go, oh, oh no.
Speaker 5: She long turning into a combination of junkie villain bum Town. You might say, yes, jok you Town or JUNKI down.
Speaker 3: Yes, but Marge has been sent to because she's in experience and she's vulnerable. She gets sent on the beat to Junkieville and Bumptown's you were saying and the Hill Street Bluesteam is playing. She's walking through it. It's a fun vibe, isn't it. It really is a fun vibe. She discovers line or Hut's burning some files and a dumps and he tries to talk him, talk his way if she gets I'm just saying hello, oh, hello, And as she walks off, he lights the dumpstorm on fire. She arrives at the Quickie Mart, and Pooh thinks what he knows, which I guess is in Junkie Town? Why Quickie Mart is? Yeah it must be. Yeah. I always thought it was like I'm in a reputable neighborhood. Yeah, yeah, because it is.
Speaker 5: I think, why would you go to Yeah, it's continuity, that's true. Why would you go out of the out of your way to the quicki Mart which is probably going to have a bit more of a market being a convenience store, but it's inconvenient, but it's in junkie Town?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe maybe because you wouldn't leave the sector anyway. She goes to the Quickie Mart and then who says, I know the drill, new cop. Here's the bribe one hundred or two hundred, two hundred, No, no, nothing, nothing nothing. So we have that moment here where he leaves it on the bench, mister Burns walks past and takes it because no ether of thee wants to take it both. I hate these moments where it depends what side of your rind doesn't really matter. But someone says, oh, you're twenty bucks, I don't worry about it. Now you take the money. No, I don't wry just take the money. No, I don't want it. An you think someone either fucking say thank you and just move on or just somehow end this. But I hate it though when the person goes, well I was going to leave it here and you have to take it, and you're like, oh, oh man, now I'm going to accept this, Like it's like one person has to feel like they're the bigger person. Sure, yeah, I just are you someone who will always take the money or I don't worry about it. I will probably depends how much it is. Well that's true. Anything ever a twenty, I'm like, okay, I'll take that money. It was a twenty, you just get me next time. True. If they're good for it, you're putting a lot of conditions on this.
Speaker 5: I would usually be like, one time, so good, don't worry about it. If they say oh please, I'm like please, all right, yeah no, or no I have to say please. I was like, if they say one more time, okay, fine, I'll take it. I'll pick you up next time.
Speaker 3: We then get cops. They never actually call it cops. Bad cops. At Skinner's house. They're quarreling over the inflatable bath pillow.
Speaker 1: I got a report on a domestic disturbance at this address.
Speaker 7: Yes, indeed, there is there's an inflatable bath pillow that mother and I both enjoy. She claimed it was her day to use it. I maintained she was mistaken.
Speaker 2: We quarreled.
Speaker 7: Later, as I prepared to bathe, I noticed to my horror that someone had slashed the pillow.
Speaker 1: Who called the police? Look, why don't you two settle down? I'm sure you can get another pillow.
Speaker 7: Well, they could send it back to Taiwan for repair, but why should I have to. I've done nothing wrong, and I don't give permission for my face to be on TV.
Speaker 3: I wanted blurred, So that's how they decided. Because they didn't have the deleted scene where it pans out of the TV, they changed it to this ending here. What's his face blurred? It's now Marge's day off and she's just laying on the couch. She wants to just relax and forget that she's part of that thin blue line between civilization and chaos, and she tells, but you have to wear some protective gear. Buddy, you're gonna write that skateboard because you've got a C nine, a Class A ninevehicle. But then the bullies just beat him up because it's so easy on their knuckles. Who works that bad for him? And these next few scenes are just trying to highlight that the struggles that cops go through where they can never switch off jobs. It not to have to be a cop to be like this. I had a job once where it was just I couldn't switch off, and Nickol would say, don't worry about that right now. But it's really hard to switch off when you're totally invested in it, but particularly for cops, so it's like if you're not on if you're not on duty, on duty, you still have to feel like you're kind of on judy. If someone's doing something wrong, it's like, it's my place to have to do something here. But she's at the salon and the women are all bantering about you know, I had us magazine and heaven he said it was his turn. He used a bath pillow. And then missus K says, you can't go to the library anymore, everybody stinks, and I'm like, the more I watched The Simpsons as an adult, I'm like, missus k, you are my spirit animal. Very correct? Okay, go the people stink and then Marge walks in. They all go quiet because they're like, oh, she's a cop. Now she's you would feel like your friends. You'd like to think your friends wouldn't treat you differently, but I think you just have to. I've got a friend who became a cop, and once it became a cop, it's almost like I didn't deliberately do it, but I subconsciously went, do I have to be careful what I say around in now? Because it is if I say I did something illegal, is it his job to have to report me?
Speaker 2: What's the well?
Speaker 3: I've got a friend who had.
Speaker 5: Has a friend who became a cop and said, the guys did so far to the right, you've gone fascist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just changed just by virtue of you.
Speaker 5: And I'm bad to say, not a cops, but yes, it's like, yeah, our relationship really.
Speaker 3: Changed as a result. So who knows, Maybe you become a cops, he wouldn't have to be a friend anymore. Maybe, But she sees Moe getting his hair done, and then the seat gets dropped and she thinks it's a gun going she pulls her gun and yeah, just showcasing how she's struggling to separate life from she's on their work now. Yeah, and Homer now uses Marge's please take for the gag at Flanners, which I've already discussed in great detail. Here he thinks something horrible has happened to his family, but Homer says full Jemmy, do you think your family is dead? But they're not, though, but you thought they were? And just yeah. Watching this as a fan, I guess you laugh, but when you're reviewing it, you have to acknowledge that this was a pretty shitty joke. Oh yes, Frank to be pulled by Homer here, But people tend to cross the lines sometimes anyway. So Marg's brought it to Lisa. I brought Lisa to the station and she listen, and here goes into full Lisa mode. Yes, yes, where she says that I know your intentions are good, but isn't it time we attack the roots of social problems instead of just jamming people into overc out of prisons and large resorts to McGriff raff the crime dog parody of mcgraff, who's still to this day is I think you're still around here? Is the herald, the giraffe of the crime. There's the mascot to sort of say, hey, look just kids, just adults. He's like, he's the mascot for saying, let's let's do something about crime. Well, let's take a bite out of crime. That's exactly. Yeah, it's now time for the first card night at Homer's house. And I love the visual of this. That's dimly lit, the cigar smoke in the air, It's just it feels cool. Lenn, he's got the NUDI deck. It's very well GIRs off. The internet would go on line with her It's like, oh yeah, that would have killed back, Yeah, definitely. Herman then sneaks out to the garage. So the thing is, where does he say, I'm going to the bathroom or something. He's seeking out, get getting fresh air, because yeah, how was how was Herman running this syndicate out of their garage? Well, they're just never going to the.
Speaker 5: Game, parking cars in the car hole. Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of wacky when you slide. Yeah, they're smoking cube and cigars and have her brags about the perks. You know, he has the scanner. Marge's funeral is free, God forbid, and he can run back around checks on anyone. MoMA. So that's Moe's real name, and that is that what the jack joke is here. He's got his real name is MoMA. Yes, it must be if if Moe responds the way he does. Yeah, and he puts the speedo clock thing that's what they called the speedometer whatever it is, speed gun, what they called radar gun, radar gun. That's the one. Yeah on Lenny and he says, turning the way they give me cance, He's going to cut the two miles per hour. Then all of a sudden, what's going one hundred miles per hour? AND's Lenny's fist hit him in the face. That joke slaved for me when I was a kid. I thought that was funny. Marge now enters and she calls it, Oh my god, I can't believe this is all happening in mo Lies. What is your hassle for? This is you guys like Vegas?
Speaker 4: Marge, you chased away all my poker buddies. Would you become such a cup? Not that long ago, you were so much more to me. You were a cleaner punch, a sawer of buttons, and plugger of hairy clugs.
Speaker 3: I'm still all.
Speaker 1: Those things, only now I'm cleaning up the city. Someone together the social fabric, and I'm plugging the clogs of our legal system.
Speaker 2: You're cooking what for dinner?
Speaker 3: Amazing? Like, I know that's a shitty thing, but it's just so perfect for this episode. Margin sees everyone breaking the law. Dog no leash man, littering horse, not wearing a diaper, and car parked across three handicapped spaces, which turns out to be Homer. He calls her he's a little piglet. There are some cute news. That's not it my little piglet. Then he's supposed to be working. That's good. I'm a working home. I don't care. I'm supposed to be working too.
Speaker 5: It's funny. It's it's also a little bit sad. I mean not who was like, uh that he thinks they're on the same page. It's like yeah, that he's He's like, oh my job sucks. I'm glad. I'm glad to be away from it. No, you must feel the same way about your job as well. That he doesn't recognize that she's really into it.
Speaker 3: Well does he just assumed that she he would get away with it, and he's just like, oh hey, honey, yeah you know.
Speaker 5: But for him to say I was like, no, I'm meant to be working as well. So like, oh yeah, we're both goofing off.
Speaker 3: But he's buying beer for the boys over there. She's gonna pretend you didn't hear that, So she's gonna let him off. She shop, but you've got to move your car, and he's like, oh, just be your second no homee. You've got to move your fucking car. What are you going to do about it? Takes a hat, embarrasses her in front of everybody, and as we said, she had to make the decision to arrest him. She he's not gonna get a fine or anything cause she's going to bay Hi Mountain, that kind of thing. But she had to set the president in front of everybody. You do this ship to a cop, you're gonna get in trouble. Correct, You're gonna be out in twelve hours. So then he she says, you got the right to remain silent. He used to wave that right. Well, plus the other thing he says, I keep an eye out for a real cop. Oh, yes, he does say that. Yeah, that's real patronizing. Yeah, but as we're saying earlier, though, you know you expect to be let off, but you've got to still respect the fact that she's got a badge on. Yeah, just just move you fucking car. Just park straight. Yes, as we said, exaggerating for comic effect, but still, if you're a fan of everything we do here at Fourthing Discount, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discount family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your pals Guy and Dano for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourth Finger Discount. Homer gets bailed out. The next day, he's eating the lobster tail and raspberry tort which was actually meant for mold man, and he's now that was his last meal. From now on, no talking, and he gets led away to be executed. Cut back to them at home and lights flick, as were saying, Marge apologizes, and he draws the line down and has he not just like I love Lucy. This is my half of the houses. You're half realized that he has himself into a corner until literally painting himself into a corner. Now it's time for cards again, and Home is sat now saying because his first time of playing cards is Braiker, I was so great, much being a copy of all the perks. Now it's I thought it'd be fun like that movie Spaceballs. It turns out it's disturbing like that movie Academy. And Barney is worried about the beer supply, and this is just the way to get home and to go out to the garage, because he says, yeah, yeah, Bunny, you're right, I guess they're quiet down everybody. I'll go check on the beer supply down the garage.
Speaker 2: Wonder we are you so eager to go to the garage.
Speaker 1: The garage he found us the garage, Well, ooh, ladd, mister frenchman.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you call it a car hold?
Speaker 3: It's now revealed here that that Herman is selling counterfeit jeans out of their garage. Garage, garage, however you want to say it where no one will suspected thing a cops garage and Homie comes out to sea. What's so funny what he guys are laughing about? Oh my god, exactly put it straight away. I think a couple of times here they were really taking the mickey out of cop show. So I think there that was a genuine effort to take the mickey out of a cop showers to say, how would I even notice? It's just to keep the story flowing. And they do it again at the end, which will touch on when we get there. But you think it's in big trouble because he says, not so fast, and we're trying to get away. I'm going to tell everybody not so fast, slows down. It's just a funny visual. So he said, perhaps you should just probably stop now. This is what Homosode pleased rohim. How can we doing this?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I trusted you, Herman. What about the victims of all this, the hard working designers like Calvin Kleine Vanderbilt and adds to one Bigger Boy. These are the people who saw an overcrowded market and said me too. Bigger Boy apparently declared for bankruptcy in two thousand and one. Poor big Boy, Poor old bugle boy. And they're about to advance on him, but Marge arrives. Door opens conveniently, and they think it's Vanderbilt back for revenge. But Homer sacrifices himself here. He actually does the good thing here. He actually sacrificed himself. He said, no, take me, so he takes him. Save the jeans and live like a queen. He takes him away, and she's looking for them everywhere. Millhouse comes out at night, but I'm able to play Grandpa's taking make it for that's a yes. Yeah. And the Halloween decoration she shoots it. This literally is what it's like when you're trying to drive a car and the kids in the back seat just distractions. For the sake of distractions. You think all you have to do is sit there, be quiet. Oh yeah, just chill. We talked about this when we did that Bob's Pods episode. I'm standing on a ladder. I feel I shouldn't have to say this. Yes, your job with Bob's Pops. Check it out. It's a new podcast exclos me on the Patreon reviewing every episode of Bob's Burgers. But kids, your job is to fucking do nothing. There's nothing easier to do in this world than nothing. Why are you doing something? One of these days these kids will learn the value of doing nothing. Yes, kids, then start cheering it wrong because she's climbing the treehouse ladder. They're seeing it from the bil from the bedroom. She doesn't go back to bed, and then we get herman with the catch phrase your wife is in bucking up the wrong tree and she uses the secret entrance, fooling herman, making him fall over. Hammer apologizes for everything teasing, but apologize for teasing her and says he's proud of her. She's a great cop. Herman tries to escape and her immediately turns in it you blew it much, and she says, nah, not so fast. He's not going to work because his own shorty merchandise sucks up. Ripped it the seams. Yep. I did like the term of go cash the five a one because leave by five oh one jeans then the cops and the ambos arrive and Grandpa's now, I call this ambulance four hours ago. This is my ambulance. And Homer asked Marge, how did she know? Now this is the joke I was talking about, because she says why the pants are ripped? No, no, I was talking about. I saw this as their way of saying, how did you know that this was happening in the game? How did you know to arrive at that point in time it was convenient for the story? How many times do you watch cop shows when you think, how did the cop possibly know to be there in that moment?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: But she explains why she knew that the pants would rip, because she is being a mother, a fat husband, dodgy stitching, will seated husband please, well seated husband. Yes. But this is where Wigham, unfortunately says, you know, good job, Marge, but there's no evidence, so we can't nail him. She's like, what do you mean? Well, he says, Homes says, the whole garage full. Now it's gone missing, and they're all wearing them now, looking good bys. So Marge she's had enough of all their corruption and she quits. They all laugh at her again, but they say so to Locy Simpson and we cut back to the guys playing cards because I'm I'm glad that's how it ends. I think this is a great way to end this episode. Something funny, right, But these guys are playing cards. Herman fucked off to the garage. Homen went looking for him and they never came back. I'm looking at his card. Screw I fold. These guys are sitting there going what the hell's happening? Agreed to the story, agreed into the episode. Yeah, a really fun episode. Again, like not not a laugh out loud laugh per second kind of episode. It's not meant to be. Having said that, going through it the way these ones more, I think, Yeah, there were a lot of good gigs in this There were a lot of good gags. I think as personal preference, I prefer these episodes over the ones that are just funny funny, funny, funny funny, because these ones give you time to breathe sure, taking things, think about stuff, and they tackle serious issues. And this one here is sexism and the perception of the police force, perception of women in the workforce, that kind of thing. So I think this was a one of the top Marge episodes. You're ever going to get oh yeah, yeah, because Margin never comes out looking bad at any of this, does she Oh no, because this is an absolute hero because she joins in her terms and she quits on her terms, because you have to get back to the status stove, but stay star to herself. But her quitting gets back to the status quoe. But it's also a justification in herself saying I joined this police force for the right reasons. You guys aren't doing it for the right reasons. You're using it to your advantage, get corruption and whatnot. I'm getting out, that's right. Yeah. Springfield Connection Top Tier episode. Thank you guys for voting for on our Patreon. We're gonna be checking up a new poll now in our patreons. You want to be part of that and vote for the next episode we review from the classic era. You can do so by following the link in the description of this podcast. Also, as I mentioned just before, we have just launched Bob's Pods, our Bobb's Burgers podcast available now exclusively on our Patreon. We also do tales of Fu Durama. You also find exclusive episodes of Talking Signe Fould and speaking of the hill On there as well, And we're gonna be doing some movie reviews again and starting with a Goofy movie which is celebrating his thirtieth anniversary, and voice actor Rob Paulson is joining us for that review as well. So really looking forward to sitting down with Robi, the absolutely gentlemen, lovely man, and we can track it Bill Farmer on as well, the voice of Goofy, because fucking why not? Why not either the ability to do something, fucking make it happen. I'm exhausted just just talking about this. Yeah, but you can get one hundred hours of exclusive content for just five dollars. So even if you're just on the line, oh do I want to do it? Do one or not five bucks?
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Try our patreondred hundred hours of exclusive content. It's well worthy. You guarant you're gonna love it. Sorry to use the cliche, but I paid more than that for a cup of coffee to day. Yeah, and guess what you.
Speaker 5: Get one hundred hours plus because we just added an hour to it, So you know, one hundred hours plus of good content.
Speaker 3: And knowing you keeping the lights on here at four finger discount because this show exists because of all of your support, so please continue to support us on Patreon. We do love each and every one of you. If you can't afford Patreon, that's also fine as well. You can support us by rating and reviewing us on Apple Podcasts with Spotify. Where have you listen to this show? Check us five stars livers a few come words as well. We do love reading reviews and we're gonna be reading those out on the community podcast at the end of the month. So when he name it out and you're not a patron, that's the way to do so, write a very nice review. We won't read out the bad ones. Write a nice review. She's covering all the basics. Covering all the basis indeed, and please get in touch with us with some questions or topics you'd like us to cover. Mailbag at four finger discount dot com, dot a. You get in touch and we'll be answering all of your questions at the end of the month. But this has been the Springfield Connection. We're getting back into season twenty next week, but for now, mister Day, any final words for those incredible listeners out there, Well, I'm oudt here because I've had it up to here with you rowolves,