Speaker 1: You know that feeling when you're using a website, you visit constantly, maybe for years, and then you stumble upon a feature or a specific way to use it that you never knew was there.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like finding a hidden passage in a place you thought you knew inside out.
Speaker 2: It happens more often than we realize. I think we tend to stick to the familiar paths online, you know, just sort of navigating the surface, missing the deeper layers of functionality the creators designed exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes the most insightful way to understand the digital tools we rely on today is to well rewind the clock to see what the internet landscape looked like in a different era and what clever ideas were being built into these platforms back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it provides incredible context. It shows us the specific user problems developers were tackling, the strategy sites used to attract and keep users, and how core functionalities that we now take for granted first took shape.
Speaker 1: Which is precisely what we're doing in this deep dive. We're exploring a specific source from a very particular moment in Internet history. A book published back in two thousand and four called five oh one Website Secrets by Michael Miller.
Speaker 2: That title really sets the stage perfectly, doesn't it. This book was all about revealing the lesser known capabilities of the major websites thriving just over twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: And what a time that was for the web. I mean, we're talking about the era of the mighty Internet portals, the fierce competition between search engines, and the rapid growth of online services like auctions, digital music, travel booking. The Internet felt both like vast and also like it was just figuring itself out.
Speaker 2: There was definitely an air of exploration, both for users and for the companies building these sites. They were experiment and constantly embedding features that were sometimes hard to find unless you knew where to look.
Speaker 1: So our mission here is to take this two thousand and four book, this snapshot in time, and extract some of the most surprising, perhaps so useful, or just plain fascinating secrets and insights Michael Miller uncovered back then. Think of this as a guided tour through the clever, sometimes hidden functionalities of the Web circa two thousand and four, seen through the eyes of someone trying to empower users.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's dive in see what we can find in this digital time capsule. Where does the book begin its exploration.
Speaker 1: It starts, appropriately enough for the time, with the dominant forces the Internet portals, and you absolutely have to kick off that discussion with Yahoo.
Speaker 2: Yahoo right, which the book reminds us famously started as just a simple hobby list of favorite websites compiled by David Filo and Jerry Yang when they were at Stanford.
Speaker 1: Just organizing what they found useful online. Pretty much a hobby that turned into yet another hierarchical, officious oracle if you go by their chosen acronym. It's amazing to think how quickly it ballooned from a curated list to this sprawling digital city.
Speaker 2: And the book highlights a key distinction central to Yahoo's early identity, the difference between its original, human edited Yahoo directory and its Yahoo web search.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the directory was known for its quality, that curated feel, but it could never keep up with the sheer volume of the web, so the web search became essential. And interestingly, in two thousand and four, that search was actually powered by Google technology under the hood.
Speaker 2: Right, a major competitor powering their core search results. It's kind of wild. The book even points out a specific page search dot Yahoo dot com, intended as a central hub to access all of Yahoo's different search types, web directory and others.
Speaker 1: Portal life in two thousand and four was also heavily centered around personalization. My Yahoo was their big play here, allowing you to build your own homepage dashboard. You could add modules for news, weather, stocks, whatever else you wanted to track.
Speaker 2: That was pretty revolutionary for many users than controlling your own information stream rather than just seeing a static homepage. The book also details their early focus on safety features like a mature content filter, right stricter moderate family accounts with age based restrictions, and the completely set brit Kid friendly Yaholigan's.
Speaker 1: Directory Yeahooligans, I remember that, a truly curated, safer space for younger users separate from the main web. The book also shows Yahoo's global reach, mentioning world yahoos, offering localized versions for like Argentina, France, China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of countries. Beyond just content, Yahoo built tools for common online tasks. The book covers Yahoo People Search, which could find publicly listed street addresses or fun numbers in the US, and.
Speaker 1: For businesses, Yahoo Yellow pages that you search by category or specific name, using your location to find relevant listings nearby.
Speaker 2: Communication was another core pillar of these portals. Yahoo Chat hosted like thousands of topic specific rooms and allowed private messages, and.
Speaker 1: Yahoo Messenger that was a heavyweight in the early instant messaging wars right Yeah, rivaling Aim and MSN Messenger.
Speaker 2: Totally free, real time communication essential.
Speaker 1: Back then, those im clients were crucial to how people connected online daily. The book also mentions community features like Yahoo message boards on well countless topic and Yahoo groups.
Speaker 2: Those are basically online clubs where members could share messages, photos, file stuff like that.
Speaker 1: An early form of online community building definitely.
Speaker 2: The book points out that their stock message boards were particularly popular, though maybe take the inside or insight with a grain of salt.
Speaker 1: Huh, cautious note from the source. Yeah. They also offered web based organization tools that felt quite advanced for the time, Yahoo Counter and Yahoo address Book accessible from any computer.
Speaker 2: That web based access, plus the ability to sync with desktop programs or you know, PDAs. That was a big step towards today's cloud.
Speaker 1: Tools and content content content Yahoo News, sports, movies, and Yahoo Finance described as one of the best personal finance sites back.
Speaker 2: Then offering stock quotes, charts, links to other financial tools. You could integrate your portfolio right into your my Yahoo page.
Speaker 1: They really were trying to be the single destination for well everything. This extended to commerce with Yahoo Shopping, classifieds and autos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the book makes a point that with Yahoo Shopping, while you used their directory and maybe a shared cart, you were still purchasing from the individual merchants, right.
Speaker 1: So any problems went through them, not Yahoo.
Speaker 2: An important distinction about their role as a platform, not always a direct retailer. Utilities like Yahoo Maps were there.
Speaker 1: Too, and interestingly Yahoo Music. The book notes it wasn't a major force for paid downloads like Napster or iTunes.
Speaker 2: Yet more focused on news, videos and internet radio via their La andch site.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Finally, the book reveals Yahoo GeoCities, a major platform for creating free personal web pages.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 1: GeoCities huge, offering easy tools and templates. It felt enormous at the time, a place where anyone could stake their claim on the web. The book calls it the world's largest collection of personal pages.
Speaker 2: A true snapshot of grassroots web creation back then.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the sprawling world of Yahoo. Let's look at their big rival portal for Microsoft MSN.
Speaker 2: Right. MSN's entry point was often Microsoft Passport, which later became dot Net Passport, a single sign in system intended to unify access across all Microsoft sites, including MSN, the.
Speaker 1: Early push for a universal digital identity.
Speaker 2: It was free, often just using your email, and they offered kids Passport accounts as well for safety.
Speaker 1: Like Yahoo, MSN offered my MSN for personalized start pages build your own.
Speaker 2: Dashboard, and MSN Search had this unique layout the book describes it presented four types of results on one page, popular topics, featured sites, web directory sites okay, and the main web pages results, which at that point were powered by ink.
Speaker 1: To my four distinct result types on one page, trying to help users make sense of the results in different ways.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, And the book details MSN searches support for boolean operators like or not, T and plus minus noting and was the default for multiple words.
Speaker 1: Pretty standard search logic it.
Speaker 2: Meant, and they automatically searched for word variations too. The book then lists various specialized MSN channels like MSN Autos, Digital Photos, Shopping, and MSN Money.
Speaker 1: MSN money sounds like it was quite comprehensive, described as a full service financial site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with CNBC News, stock quotes and tools for planning and portfolios. They also had channels for fitness and recreation, MSN Games via Zone dot com, Zone dot com right, and MSN Kids with its own kids safe Search, continuing that theme of curating content for younger users.
Speaker 1: Okay, shifting gears slightly, let's talk about AOL dot Com. The book reveals a key secret that felt like well and escape patch for many users back then, which was you didn't have to use the proprietary AOL software. You could access AOL from any web browser by simply going to AOL dot com.
Speaker 2: That was a huge deal for users who had their own ISP or broadband and didn't want to be tied to the AOL client interface like at all.
Speaker 1: It related to that was there Bring your Own Access plan, the BYOA plan, allowing users with their own Internet connection to pay a reduced fee like fourteen dollars and ninety five cents instead of the full twenty three dollars and ninety centent dial up price just for access to the AOL services via the web.
Speaker 2: Recognizing the changing Internet landscape. Yeah, The book lists which AOL services were available via the web, mail, AM search, shopping, chats, groups, message boards, basically the core stuff.
Speaker 1: And here's where it gets really interesting from a historical perspective. The book mentions the Netscape network site netscape dot com, which seemingly offered free access to many AOL features without needing a paid AOL subscription.
Speaker 2: Whoa really fascinating. It was like a backdoor into some of AOL's features through their acquisition of Netscape. Shows the strategic complexities and weird partnerships of the era, definitely.
Speaker 1: The book moves on to Excite, described as a portal known for its metasearch capabilities.
Speaker 2: Metasearch meaning it searched multiple search engines simultaneously pulled results together.
Speaker 1: The book's visual description is kind of bland visually, but it did highlight specific content, like its entertainment page and its celebrity gossip section that aggregated sources like the National Inquirer Online and Star Online.
Speaker 2: Sure an early aggregator of tabloid news. It also offered a light version for less visual clutter. Apparently.
Speaker 1: Finally, in the portal section Licos, the book places it within the larger Tara Micos network, owning sister sites like angel Fire for personal.
Speaker 3: Pages, angel Fire Yeah in Gamesville. It also notes the complex ownership structure Yeah Tara. Leko's own search engines like all the Web and Alta Vista used Overture for paid search results.
Speaker 2: While Lecos's main search results were powered by Inktomei, which was owned by Yahoo. It's like layers within layers.
Speaker 1: It really highlights how interconnected and frankly confusing the web business was becoming even then. The Lecos directory, the book explains, used the human Edited Open Directory project okay, and Licos offered quite a few advanced search filters, accessible directly from the homepage or an advanced search page.
Speaker 2: These filters allowed users to refine searches by including or excluding words, limiting to specific sites or domains, filtering by language, or using content filters more control.
Speaker 1: They even had search Guard technology designed to filter objectionable content by deleting keywords from the search.
Speaker 2: Query, itself, an interesting technical approach to filtering. The book also calls out Licos's first rate MP three search engine and general audio search for formats like lovev and MIDI.
Speaker 1: But it clarifies Licos just linked to files didn't.
Speaker 2: Host them right, and it does mention Rhapsody as a separate subscription music service linked to locos somehow, and.
Speaker 1: For kids, Licozone offered curated content, games, homework help including how stuff.
Speaker 2: Works, how stuff works, great site.
Speaker 1: And reference materials.
Speaker 2: So the portals were these vast integrated ecosystems trying to keep you within their walls. Basically, now, let's look at sites that were more focused specifically on the exploding problem of finding information, the dedicated to search engines.
Speaker 1: And there's really only one place to start that conversation. In two thousand and four, even in a book about web.
Speaker 2: Secrets, Google absolutely The book gives us the numbers for two thousand and four, over seventy three point five million unique users monthly, over two hundred million searches a day, indexing billions of pages, just massive scale for the time, and.
Speaker 1: The book emphasizes Google's core different from the portals, a laser focus purely on search, no email, no personalization on the main page, none of that portal.
Speaker 2: Clutter, simplicity on the surface, immense power underneath. The book lists the variety of searches available then basic web, advanced web directory images, news, Usenet, people, stocks, catalogs, even government and university specific searches.
Speaker 1: The homepage is called a marvel of simplicity, which it was, but the engine's power, as the book explains, came from PageRank.
Speaker 2: PageRank was foundational. Yeah, it didn't just count how many links pointed to a page. It weighted those links based on the importance of the PageRank of the linking page itself. It was a quality based approach to real events, which was pretty groundbreaking.
Speaker 1: The book details the search operators that gave users more control, the implied A and D between words the explicit or R for either searches, and excluding words with the minus minus bean sign it notes stop words were usually included.
Speaker 2: And key advanced options highlighted are file a type to find documents like PDFs or word docs, super useful in site to search only within a specific website or domain. These are still incredibly useful today, obviously.
Speaker 1: And here's a secret from the book that was like a digital archaeology tool, the cash operator type in cash before a URL that you see Google's stored copy of a page.
Speaker 2: Right even if the live version was down or had changed significantly.
Speaker 1: A lifesaver for researchers or anyone needing to access historical web content. The book lists many other operators too, like infolink, related Dot entitled dot Neural, Lots of ways to slice and dice, so.
Speaker 2: Much power embedded right in that simple search bar. Google also integrated features into the results display, like showing related news headlines or suggesting related pages via something called Google Scout.
Speaker 1: Google preferences allowed customization too, results per page, language filtering, and importantly safe search for filtering out offensive content.
Speaker 2: They also made it easy to search from anywhere with Google browser buttons and the dedicated Google toolbar, which offered even more integrated features right in your browser.
Speaker 1: Beyond the core web search, the book explores Google specific services available, then, Google image search with advanced filters, nails Yeah, and Google Groups for accessing and searching Usenet newsgroups using the grouped operator use.
Speaker 2: Net Wow, and Google phone Book, a feature for searching publicly listed phone numbers and addresses in the US, even a reverse look up using the phone book operator.
Speaker 1: Again, the book cautions this only finds listed numbers, can't find unlisted ones.
Speaker 2: Of course, Google News is also highlighted, aggregating headlines from thousands of sources, with category browsing and the ability to bookmark search results pages to get updated news feeds on a topic.
Speaker 1: That bookmarking trick was a clever way to stay current on a topic before RSS feeds were really mainstream.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Google stocks, Google Products, which was called frugal back then, for shopping comparisons, Google and Google catalogs for browsing merchant catalogs online are also covered.
Speaker 1: They even offered dictionary lookup using dictionary dot com and the Google calculator Yeah, which was pretty powerful math unit conversions. Yeah. The book notes it could even handle nonsense like feet in smoots.
Speaker 2: And answering philosophical questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, the classic answer to life, the Universe, and everything. Forty two had to be there.
Speaker 2: The book rounds out the Google section by listing other goodies like language tools for translation, the Google desk bar, Google glossary, keyboard, shortcuts, search by location, just a ton of stuff.
Speaker 1: The book summary emphasizes that despite the minimal interface, Google in two thousand and four offered tremendous power to informed users willing to dig just a little bit deeper.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving to another search engine mentored all the Web. The book notes its ownership by Overture alongside AltaVista.
Speaker 1: Right part of that Overture portfolio.
Speaker 2: All the Web differentiated itself with specific indexes for different types of content accessible using syntax shortcuts like web images, dot news, audio, video, and even FTP FTP search.
Speaker 1: Interesting. It also had a range of operators like site, oral, dot link, domain, file size and file type plus date range searching.
Speaker 2: The book calls out its advanced news search, picture search with thumbnails, and particularly its advanced FTP file search.
Speaker 1: Well special about that.
Speaker 2: It offered really granular options to find downloadable files, including filtering by domain paths, size, date, and even excluding certain file types. Pretty specialized.
Speaker 1: Next, a search engine with a very distinct approach, Ask Jeeves. The book leads with its signature feature the ability to respond to plain English questions, not just keywords.
Speaker 2: Yes, you could phrase your query naturally, like you were asking a person why is the sky blue? Or something like that. The book provides examples showing how you could ask full questions.
Speaker 1: The result page structure after they integrated the Tioma index, included standard web results, sponsored web results those are the paid ads, and a refine your Search section offering links to related searches or questions suggested by Jeeves himself.
Speaker 2: That refined section carried the spirit of the original Butler concept, trying to guide you to better results. The book lists specific smart features it handled directly, definitions, conversions, exchange rates, images, local info, maps, movie showtimes, stock quotes, quite a lot.
Speaker 1: And like others, an asked G's toolbar was available for Internet Explorer, providing a search box and quick access buttons for news, pictures, etc.
Speaker 2: Trying to integrate that natural language approach directly into the browser experience.
Speaker 1: Another Overture owned engine discussed is Alta Vista. Remember Alta Vista, Oh Yeah.
Speaker 2: A big name. Early on, the book lists its search methods, web images, MP three's video, news and notes, its directory used look smart and the open Directory project.
Speaker 1: Alta Vista was known for its powerful search operators, the plus and minus science quotes for exact phrases, near for proximity, and the.
Speaker 2: Boolean and or not, but the book specifically highlights its advanced web search page as a key feature. It allowed users to construct really complex queries with boolean logic, customize the result display, and filter by domain, site or date range. Very powerful for the time.
Speaker 1: It also offered language translation tools for text and entire pages, and Menca's Webmaster search and the AltaVista.
Speaker 2: Toolbar, keeping up with the toolbar trend.
Speaker 1: Finally, in the search engine discussion Hotbot, the book clarifies its ownership by Tara Lekos navigating that complex web we.
Speaker 2: Saw earlier the ownership tangle, again.
Speaker 1: Noting Hotpot's main search was powered by Inktomi, which was owned by Yahoo.
Speaker 2: Right. Hotbot's main selling point, the book notes, was its ability to search across multiple search sites simultaneous, Google, Ink to my Fast, Tioma looked, Smart, open directory all at once.
Speaker 1: A true meta search engine, it says hot box own into my Search index was pretty good and comparable in size to others at around three billion pages, and.
Speaker 2: The book highlights the ability to filter searches directly from the homepage using custom web filters and a preferences page.
Speaker 1: These filters offered granular control over things like words, domains, content types, though the book cautioned that not all the underlying search sites supported all the filters equally.
Speaker 2: Right a limitation of meta search. An advanced search page offered even more fine tuning.
Speaker 1: What's fascinating about looking back at these search engines is how they approached the same fundamental problem finding information on the web with such different philosophies.
Speaker 2: Totally from Google's algorithmic simplicity and PageRank to ask jeeves natural language focus and hotbot's meta search approach.
Speaker 1: It shows the intense innovation happening as the web scaled up so quickly, everyone was trying to build the best tool for navigating and increasingly complex information space.
Speaker 2: Absolutely okay. Let's shift gears from search specifically to sites focused on content and specific services that were prominent back in two thousand and four. The book covers online news and information sites, starting with CNN dot com right.
Speaker 1: The book highlights that CNN dot Com offered much more depth than just the headlines on the homepage. It mentioned subscription services like CNN Newspasts and a web only newscast, CNN.
Speaker 2: Quickcast, noting that not everything was free even then. Digital paywalls aren't just a recent thing.
Speaker 1: A useful secret noted is the ability to search the EXTENSIVECNN dot com news archive for older stories.
Speaker 2: That's valuable definitely, and the book points out their global presence, with CNN dot com international and localized foreign language sites designed for relevance to local audiences.
Speaker 1: You can even find CNN'STV schedule online apparently. The book lists other major news sites of the era like Bbcnews, Reuter's cntnews dot com, MSNBC, and Google News.
Speaker 2: Of course, so includes the Drudge Report, with the source noting its political bias but also its strength in highlighting headlines and breaking stories quickly.
Speaker 1: From news to sports, the book dives into espn dot com, described as the essential destination for major league and college.
Speaker 2: Sports coverage and for action sports fans ESPN ESPN's sister site, focusing on extreme sports like snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross.
Speaker 1: A particularly cool feature highlighted is ESPN gamecasts remember those.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, providing real time text based play by play for games when you couldn't watch them live on TV.
Speaker 1: A crucial feature in the pre smartphone era for sports fans stuck at a computer or just wanting updates totally.
Speaker 2: The book also mentions ESPN Fantasy Sports already big then, and the bottom Line ticker tool bar for scores and headlines.
Speaker 1: For financial information, CBS MarketWatch is singled out as a great financial site, and notably, the book emphasizes it was free, which.
Speaker 2: Was a big draw. It covered both stocks and personal finance, offering a library of articles and a glossary of financial tools.
Speaker 1: Included a market overview, snapshot, industry performance tracking, best warse sectors, and the ability to look up individual stock or fun tickers.
Speaker 2: It's my Portfolios tool was apparently a standout. It allowed users to build and track portfolios from simple lists of stock symbols to more detailed records including cash positions and purchase details, and.
Speaker 1: It offered various views like analyzer allocation news related to your holdings.
Speaker 2: There was even a separate portfolio tracker window for real time quotes, plus interactive charts for stock analysis.
Speaker 1: The book also covers their newsletters and research section, featuring analysis from contributors like Mike Ashbah and.
Speaker 2: Here's a valuable secret from the book regarding newsletters. While premium investment newsletters could be really expensive, right MarketWatch offered a Guruz corner for free insights and crucially a list of the top performing newsletters over the past year.
Speaker 1: Ah so you could see track records before you decided to subscribe to a pricey.
Speaker 2: One exactly use the free resources to inform decisions about the paid ones. The book also provided a directory with pricing info for those newsletters, and it lists other financial sites too, like Bloomberg, Forbes dot com, Motley Fool, next.
Speaker 1: Up weather dot com highlighted for its truly global reach, covering over eighty thousand locations worldwide. Even back then.
Speaker 2: The site map is mentioned is a good way to find the depth of content because there was a lot. Key features included getting local forecasts with current conditions, Doppler radar images, a detailed forecasts.
Speaker 1: And crucially an hourly forecast for specific planning like should I go for a run at.
Speaker 2: Three pm exactly? The site would remember your location for quick access. They also provided severe weather advisories.
Speaker 1: Of course, gravel features were a major focus too, determining where to go, checking weather at your destination, monitoring airport weather and.
Speaker 2: Delays, and even tracking specific flight status with free email or text message alerts. That was pretty advanced for two thousand and four. Finding driving conditions was also available.
Speaker 1: A fun, slightly serious feature noted is weather magnets. Remember those little widgets vaguely an easy and freeway to add local weather forecasts to your own website or blog.
Speaker 2: Ah right, and yeah, you could actually buy weather gear, including proper meteorological instruments on the site. Plus they mentioned premium services like weather dot com.
Speaker 1: Gold moving to Microsoft dot Com. The book places it as one of hundreds of Microsoft sites distinct from MSN or expedia. It's main purpose consumer oriented technical support and downloading updates.
Speaker 2: And the most critical secret the book points out, expressing some surprise not everyone utilized it was using Microsoft dot Com to keep Windows operating systems updated and secure.
Speaker 1: Right via Microsoft Update in the download center. Absolutely essential in an era plagued by viruses and worms like NIMDA and code read.
Speaker 2: The book acknowledges the pain of large downloads on dial up connections, though that was a real barrier.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Technical support was largely handled to the Microsoft Knowledge Base or KB.
Speaker 2: The book described searching it by product or problem using filters and boolean operators, but notes the challenge of navigating the often very technical language.
Speaker 1: You had to learn to search using the precise error message or the terms tech support would use. It wasn't always intuitive. The book briefly mentions Microsoft Game studios as.
Speaker 2: Well, and it reveals what it calls a hidden entertainment portal Windowsmedia dot Com hidden well maybe less prominent than MSN, described as a full featured site for music downloads, streaming, audio and video, movie trailers, internet radio news, all built around the Windows Media player.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, a whole media hub living under the main Microsoft umbrella. The book lists other related Microsoft sites too for developers, it pros international users.
Speaker 2: Now let's look at the giants of online commerce and services, starting with the behemoth eBay. The book identifies it flat out as the Internet's largest online auction site.
Speaker 1: No argument there. It mentions the Sellers and Buyers checklists as good and starting points for newbies.
Speaker 2: And highlights my eBay as the central hub for managing all your activity, tracking bids, watching items, saving searches, managing your account details, viewing and leaving feedback, setting preferences everything.
Speaker 1: Finding items involved search naturally, including searching by item number, by specific seller or buyer, searching within eBay stores for fixed price items.
Speaker 2: And searching completed auctions. Really useful for gauging prices. The book lists search operators specific to eBay's platform.
Speaker 1: Saving your favorite searches and easily repeating them from my eBay was pointed out as a valuable time saver if you were looking for something specific.
Speaker 2: The book explains bidding, including proxy bidding where eBay automatically bids incrementally for you up to your set maximum amount, and.
Speaker 1: A core bonus secret here is simple but crucial advice don't spend more than you want to set your maximum bid based on what you're truly willing to pay, not just.
Speaker 2: What you think the item is worth to others, or getting caught in a bidding war and no one to.
Speaker 1: Wise advice then and now. Definitely for selling, the book covers setting a reserve price so your item doesn't sell too low.
Speaker 2: Offering by it now for a fixed price option.
Speaker 1: Adding pictures noting the costs beyond the first free photo, and mentioning picture pack options, also revising listings after they're live, relisting unsold items, and the process for filing a non paying bidder alert.
Speaker 2: Seller tools like Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro are listed for high volume sellers, also eBay stores and third party Emay assistance.
Speaker 1: Turbolister is described as a key secret tool for serious seller software for creating and managing auction listings offline and then uploading them in bulk.
Speaker 2: And a major secret for sellers wanting to accept credit cards without being a full blown merchant using PayPal, which eBay owned by then right exactly, using PayPal as a middleman service to process payments easily. That was huge for small sellers.
Speaker 1: The book also mentions other third party seller tools like channel Advisor and hammer Tap, and highlights eBay motors specifically for buying and selling vehicles, cars, motorcycles, even aircraft.
Speaker 2: Wow Aircraft, and the eBay toolbar is noted for tracking bidding activity directly from your browser, very handy for active bidders.
Speaker 1: Okay, Moving to the other e commerce giant, Amazon dot Com, which even in two thousand and four boast of the slogan Earth's biggest selection, having long expanded way beyond just books.
Speaker 2: And the book explains a key concept that's still relevant. You weren't always buying directly from Amazon itself.
Speaker 1: Right, Merchandise came from different sources. Yeah, there was Amazon's own inventory ship from their warehouses.
Speaker 2: Than major partner retailers like Orders, Target, Toys r US who fulfilled orders through Amazon's platform.
Speaker 1: And also smaller Amazon merchants third party sellers found in sections like more Buying Choices. It even mentions a specific partnership with segwe at the time.
Speaker 2: Segways on Amazon in two thousand and four. Finding bargains included looking for used merchandise offered by third party sellers and checking the Amazon Outlet store for closeouts and overstock deals.
Speaker 1: Convenient ordering features included one click ordering still around, various payment options beyond just.
Speaker 2: Credit cards, and the ability to pick up your order in person at certain retail partner locations using in store pickup.
Speaker 1: Interesting gift features were extensive designating items as gifts during checkout, adding gift wrap and personalized notes, usually.
Speaker 2: For a fee, shipping directly to another address, sending gift certificates either by email or physical mail.
Speaker 1: And creating or browsing public wish lists or gift registries. The book even mentions a gift Wheezard tool to help you choose gifts.
Speaker 2: Personalization and community were key aspects too. The site offered a personalized start page with recommendations based on your past purchases and browsing history, and.
Speaker 1: You could actively influence those recommendations by rating items you owned or indicating things you weren't interested in Via improve your.
Speaker 2: Recommendations, You could also recommend items to others, create and browse listmania lists, user curated lists on specific topics and.
Speaker 1: So you'd like to guides which were similar user created guides building that community aspect.
Speaker 2: Staying updated included browsing coming soon lists for upcoming products and getting email alerts for new releases or when out of stock items became available again.
Speaker 1: For selling your own stuff, Amazon offered the Amazon Marketplace for US items, pro merchants for volume sellers, z shops their version of storefronts, and even Amazon auctions to compete with eBay.
Speaker 2: Communication and interaction included chat features and discussion boards related to products or topics.
Speaker 1: Browsing and searching involved navigating product categories using power search operators. The book mentions things like not t and sorting search results by various criteria. The book even mentions accessing products directly via URLs if you knew them.
Speaker 2: Content features included listening to music samples online, reading books online, either excerpts or via partners.
Speaker 1: Tracking the Amazon sales rank for products, and seeing overall sales trends via top sellers.
Speaker 2: Lists, and mentioning news, weather, sports, movies, finance, even restaurant info provided by other partner sites integrated into Amazon. There was a movie showtimes page, and special occasion reminders like birthdays.
Speaker 1: It's really fascinating to see how many of these core features and strategies were already in place at Amazon back in two thousand and four, laying the groundwork for the behemoth we know today.
Speaker 2: Truly. Next up digital music with Napster two point zero.
Speaker 1: Right. This is after the original free and legally dubious file sharing Napster was shut down exactly.
Speaker 2: Napster two point zero in two thousand and four was a subscription music service requiring a software download. Basic membership was free for browsing, but actually purchasing or downloading music cost money. A legitimate pad model.
Speaker 1: A major pivot. You could browse and search for music, buy individual tracks or whole albums using by track or buy album.
Speaker 2: Buttons, and purchase tracks were added to your personal library and downloaded in the background by the.
Speaker 1: Software managing music centered around the library page. Within the Napster software, you could build playlists of your favorite.
Speaker 2: Tracks and listen to and create mixtapes, which the book describes as collections of songs you could stream or potentially burn to a CD. Later.
Speaker 1: Listening options included using Napster's built in music player for real time streaming of tracks you owned or maybe subscription content.
Speaker 2: Listening to curated Napster radio stations, and.
Speaker 1: For premium members. The book mentions being able to listen to the entire Napster library while surfing the web full streaming access.
Speaker 2: They also had features for sharing songs via email, likely links not the files themselves, and accessing Napster's own message boards for community discussion.
Speaker 1: The book lists the competitive landscape for legal digital music back then Apple's iTunes music store was a big one.
Speaker 2: Buy music dot Com music match downloads eMusic and Rhapsody, noting Rhapsody's connection back to Lycos again.
Speaker 1: It also mentions the ability to import your own existing local audio files like threes you already had into the Napster library to manage everything in one place.
Speaker 2: This really shows the early diverse field of legal digital music services trying to figure out the business model and user experience after the original Napster completely shook up the music industry.
Speaker 1: Lefting a transitional period okay shifting to online travel now with Expedia described as a popular one stop online travel agency.
Speaker 2: Or Ota had its origins at Microsoft but was owned by Iacenteractivecore by two thousand and four. Its big strength was packaging flights, hotels, and rental cars together easily.
Speaker 1: The book shares some useful nuances, though not all airlines were always listed on Expedia, especially some budget carriers.
Speaker 2: But you could restrict your search filters to only show flights from specific airlines you preferred, and you could book complex multi leg trips not just simple round trips.
Speaker 1: It highlights search flexibility too, like the option to display flights based on preferred departure or rival time instead of just sorting strictly by the lowest price, useful if your schedule wasn't flexible.
Speaker 2: Mentioned finding cheap flights was obviously a key goal. Other booking types included vacation packages, flight plus hotel deals, searching specifically for hotels, and finding rental cars.
Speaker 1: You could look for last minute travel deals specifically and sign up for travel deals via email alerts to get notified about sales.
Speaker 2: A neat feature mentioned for undecided travelers was let Expedia help you determine where you want to go, some kind of destination suggestion tool based on your interests or budget. Perhaps.
Speaker 1: They also offered integrated maps and driving direction services common for travel sites.
Speaker 2: And Reassuringly, the book notes that even though you booked online, you could still call them if you encountered problems. It actually lists their phone numbers eight hundred Expedia and a direct line.
Speaker 1: Good to know there was still a human safety net easily accessible. Finally, map quest, the book starts by emphasizing it's more than just a website for maps.
Speaker 2: It details the variety of inputs you could use to find a map. A specific street address, just a city or zip code, an area code, latitude and longitude, coordinates, or even an airport code.
Speaker 1: A practical pit from the book spell out city names fully, like New York City, not just NYC for best results.
Speaker 2: The interactive map features included zooming in and out, recentering the map on a point, and panning using directional aero controls standard stuff now that key.
Speaker 1: Then you could customize the map display using a customized map page, adding landmarks, maybe traffic info if available.
Speaker 2: And adding a second location marker to a map, maybe to see two points relative to each other. Saving maps for later Reference was also a.
Speaker 1: Feature for finding places on the map. You could search using Yellow Pages categories like pizza or banks, or search for a specific business name. This could also help find street addresses if you didn't know.
Speaker 2: Them, and getting driving directions was of course a core function. It provided text based turn by turn instructions by default.
Speaker 1: Or you could fine tune using routing options to get turned by turns with tech showing mini maps for each step alongside the instructions, And.
Speaker 2: The book reveals a final secret. Map Quest apparently had an online world Atless feature available somewhere on the site beyond just the roadmaps.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay. Looking back through this two thousand and four book, you really see the web grappling with organizing vast amounts of information, connecting people, facilitating commerce, and providing essential daily services, all.
Speaker 2: Through interfaces that, as the book shows, often hid surprising depth and clever functionality beneath the surface.
Speaker 1: It truly is a fascinating snapshot. Extracting these secrets from a book published over twenty years ago shows not just how far we've come technologically.
Speaker 2: But also the foundational ideas and user focused solutions that were being developed way back then. The portal's trying to be everything, the search engines, specializing in finding things, the service sites, building focused tools for specific tasks.
Speaker 1: It gives you those aha moments seeing the early versions of things we use every single day now and realizing how much thought went into designing functionality for users, even if it wasn't always immediately obvious or easy to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really reinforces that idea that even the most familiar digital tools often have layers of capability waiting to be discovered if you just you know, know where or how to look or what question to ask.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder what's still hidden in plain sight on the websites and apps we use constantly today all the time. Exactly how many features go unused because people just don't know they're there?
Speaker 2: Right So, here's the thought to leave you with after this deep dive into two thousand and four's web secrets. If a single book from back then could uncover literally hundreds of less known features on the major websites of that era, how many secrets? How much untapped power do you think is lying undiscovered within the digital tools you interact with constantly every single day? Right now? What might you find if you stop just navigating the surface and started intentionally exploring the deeper layers