Speaker 1: And we continue on Fred Rogan, Rodney Pete on seventy LA Sports. We're on today normally noon to three. We got the afternoons today and we couldn't be any more thrilled again, shout out Tim Kate, David Bassay, great work today. Hope you got to hear the coverage here on the radio station. Now let's bring on Rodney, our friend from the La Times. I can't believe anybody's gonna get into a fight today. Not today. You don't think me and Dylan gonna get into it, Fred, as we always do, I know, not today. Please, it's a day of celebration. Let's bring on Dylan Hernandez. Dylan, Welcome to the Afternoon Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Well, it's our pleasure all right. Now we know you're out at the stadium. All right, you want to talk about what happened at the stadium, we'll do that and then work backwards. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I gotta say like for somebody that you know, coming from somebody in me that you know usually fights with everything, this is pretty special.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think in a city like Hours that's so geographically vast, and you know, fragmented in different ways. It's kind of really cool, right to kind of see everybody come together in one place, you know, kind of behind one thing, you know, in this case the Dodgers, And uh yeah, it was just kind of a really fun atmosphere.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I guess if I have I you know what, I could find one complaint. The sound was a little too loud. You know, they could they could have tuned it down a little bit. But besides that, it was.
Speaker 1: A really fun day. Tuned did you down a little bit a little?
Speaker 2: I mean it was like loud. It was like you know, in the press box, you couldn't talk to your neighbor loud, right. I mean there were some you know, some of the funners brought there, like little kids there could not have been this could not have been good for their developments.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, somebody suffered.
Speaker 2: Somebody hearing loss today. Somebody suffered hearing I love.
Speaker 1: You, man, This is the day.
Speaker 3: Ain't the day, Dylan? I love you? But the day ain't the day for all of that? Hey, jealous listen, man, for a guy, for a guy that that that is critical and and you you know, you do a lot of critical thinking, Dylan, and and and you know you do give I will say, you do get propped when props are deserved. And but you're you're critical of of of of our local teams and from time to time, and especially the Dodgers. What did you make first off them going all the way and winning it after they looked like.
Speaker 1: They were left for dead? And and I can't if I go back, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure there was some some choice words you had there in the Padre series, them going all the way to win it, and then the job that Dave Roberts did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, and I guess you're gonna kind of combine those two things right in that. I really thought the turning point obviously was Game four that Division series against the Padres. Right, they're down two to one, you're thinking things over and they had to run a bullpen game and Robins ran it perfectly right, he could not right, And it was that was the beginning of that thirty three inning scoreless streak. It really just kind of turned everything for them, I think, And you know, obviously Roberts deserves like a lot of credits for that.
Speaker 3: And where were you, Dylan, real quick? Where were you? Where were you on that bullpen game when before that happened?
Speaker 1: Where? Where did you? Where did you land on that game?
Speaker 2: I thought they were dead. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I thought it was over, you know, And I just thought again that the kind of like the lack of starting pitching was going to kind of bite them, right, and you know that even you know, I thought that even if they got past that game. You know, Yamamoto, keep in mind, got whacked in game two. You know, he was going to write or game one sorry, you know, and he was going to come back and pitch that fifth game, you know, so you know, if they got there, and I wasn't sure how that was going to go. I thought that even if they got past it, because of that over reliance from the bullpen, that at some point that the wheels were going to kind of fall off, right that how long? How many rounds can you do this? You know, if you go into a seven game series where they going to be able to last there and then into the World series, right, and you know, they they kind of did run out of gas almost there at the end there. You know, Walker Bueler obviously came in to save the day. And I really think, you know, and you know, speaking of that Bueler thing, I really think that the failures of the last couple of years have kind of there's a different resolve now with this team, right, you know, I think especially of a guy like Mookie Betts, right who you know, again, after game two, I think the first two games he did not have a hit, you know, so you know, and right, he didn't hit the two previous octobers. I was right there at his locker asking him like, hey, like is this like is this still a thing now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And you know, Mookie, now you got to keep in mind in that game, to be fair to him, he got robbed of a home run by Profar in the corner, if you remember, And you know what, he did not make any excuses about it, right, He's like, look, it wasn't a hit. It doesn't matter that it almost went out. It wasn't a hit. I'm not hitting. I have to do something. And I really do kind of think that, you know, after this team, after kind of hitting rock bottom the last couple of years, in a way, you know, they they kind of acknowledged. I think there was an acknowledgement that, like, you know, you can't run from this, right, and when these things happen, these situations come up, you need to do something, you need to make it happen. I think that's really kind of epitomize that. I think you learned. You know a lot of these guys did, right, Tommy Edmond. I mean you can kind of go down the list. You know, the fact that Otani when he came back in that first game after just looked, you know, partially just getting his shoulder. You know, he contributed to a couple of runs scoring right, he drew that four pitch walk at the very beginning of that game in Game three of the World Series, you know, and then right and then there was a home run right after by Freeman, so that was a run he helped move a guy over that wound up scoring later on a hit by Mets. You know. So those guys just kind of making things happen when they had to. And you know the way I think they won this, you know, this World Series, right especially you look at the Mets series, you look at the Yankees series. When those teams made mistakes, the Dodgers really kind of like exploited it, right. They smelled blood in the water and they went at it right, and whereas kind of in the past, and I'm thinking, you know, the one mistake that kind of pops into my mind is right there was that Mets series again, I think in twenty fifteen where Corey seeger forgot to cover third base, you know, where they had shifted over and stuff. And you know, it was usually the Dodgers kind of making these mistakes that would lead to them kind of underachieving, Whereas now I feel the Dodgers weren't you know, again you look up and down, you look around there. You know, outside of Mookie Bets, there really isn't a gold Glove caliber defender. Now that said, they all play, i think kind of up to their capabilities. They're not going to beat themselves, and that to me was kind of like a big difference here, especially against the Mets and against the Yankees, where you know, you saw the Yankees make it a couple of mistakes and all of a sudden, the Dodgers are down their throats. So there's there's definitely like a different steal here now. And I do think that this is going to kind of carry forward, right because I think, you know, oh, Tommy helped bring that Tommy Edmund helped bring that, you know, some of the new guys helped bring that. And I really think that there's there's a there's definitely a different feel around this team than than they had in the past.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dylan, So going forward? Uh, Taylor Hernandez? Do they sign him?
Speaker 2: I think they're going to wind up signing him because like he just kind of completely gave up his leverage, right, I Mean he's he's very open, I want to come back, you know, And so my guess is, oh, is that.
Speaker 1: Giving up his leverage? Though? How is that giving up? Is that because he says he wants to come back to the Dodgers but you want him?
Speaker 2: Oh they're going to right, But now I think the Dodgers kind of know that, right And And look, I don't mean this is like a like a bad way necessarily. I think what what you're able where you're going to have probably is he's I'm guessing someone somewhere out there, there's going to be a bigger contract for sure.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have obviously a lot of other salary commitments. But now that they know, you know, in a way, okay, the other way to look at it is that you've kind of opened up like the place to start a dialogue right where, you know, Okay, I want to come back. I know you probably campaign me as much as like, you know, another team can. And my guess is that they're going to probably find a middle ground there. You know, probably when it's gets signed, it's probably gonna be viewed around the industry as being pretty team friendly. But you know, uh, you know, how many millions do you need?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I kind of think back to when Jared Weaver signed his extension with the Angels, you know, And I don't think Scott Boris's agent was necessarily happy that he kind of you know, negotiated that on his own because he really wanted to stay there, right, And there are things that are kind of worth more than money, And my guess is that that's that's where that's going to kind of fall there.
Speaker 3: And and and so if there is a debate on whether the Dodgers go after Juan Soto uh and signing ta Oscar for considerably probably less, uh, you laying on the side of signing ta Oscar as opposed to signing a Jan.
Speaker 2: Sodo, Yeah, because I think Sodo a is not a good defender. You know, he also is better in right field than he is in left, So I guess, I mean, theoretically, I guess you could move Muki back into the infield. I'm not really sure why you would do that, do I think Mooki is really like again at an all time great, like literally all time top five, if not like maybe even the best defensive right field there, like ever right he's he's tremendous out there, you know, and then as Sodo ages, then you kind of have to start looking, Okay, where does he go?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I've talked to some people around the game who don't you know, who think that, like, because of his footwork, he can't quite play first base, and then that leaves you with two d h's between Soto and Otani. So I'm not really sure there's like the fifth there really, right, I do think that they'll be kind of around it, obviously, you know, to see right if the guy's market creators and Dodgers are always very opportunistic in those types of situations. But I kind of think, you know, when you when you consider kind of the cost of it, Ernandez I actually think probably fits in better with with what they're doing.
Speaker 1: All right, what do you do with Walker Buehler?
Speaker 2: That is going to be that to me is like kind of a million dollar question, right, because I think they have a lot of guys coming back next year, right, and now you could argue, Okay, this is going to kind of leave them in the same place they were at the beginning of these playoffs, where you know, at very least like people were, you know, including myself obviously, you know, very uncertain about like okay, how much started pitching? Do you actually have left?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Otani?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Because Otani's coming back. You know, Glass now is going to come back. You're going to have Yamamoto. You know, you're going to have you know, Dustin May and Tony Gonsolin and Clayton Kershaw is coming back. I'm sure there are a couple of other guys I'm missing here, but they're pretty you know, they're gonna have some numbers there, right, and I think they're going to probably if if he's made available, Roki Sasaki, the twenty two year old kid from Japan who like throws out one hundred miles an hour. Right, the Dodgers were obvious. I mean, everything's going to be after him because he's going to be an amateur play. He's going to be classified as an amateur because he's under the age of twenty five, so he's basically going to play for free. So say you get him, uh now, it kind of puts you in a place where you start wondering, Okay, well, how much are we willing to commit to Walker Buehler when we have all these other arms?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I think you know what's interesting is before the playoffs even started, I was talking to a scout from another organization, and you know, I asked him like, well, what do you think of Buehler? And the guy goes, well, you know, take a shot at him, you know, you know, and I was kind of was asking, well, like how much And I'm kind of thinking, honestly, like one year eight million or something like that, and he was telling me one year fifteen to twenty million. And keep that's before the playoffs started, right, so think about how much Buehler has increased his value since then. And so to me, this isn't even a you know, cause I think, you know, in the press box today, some people are kind of asking me like, well, do you think the Dodgers make them the qualifying offer? They absolutely make them the qualifying offer. Right, it's that's one year, twenty one million. It's just that I think he's going to decline that. I think there's going to be a bigger deal out there. And then it kind of comes down to Buehler's priorities, right, I mean, like Hernandez, he has said, you know, his preference is to come back here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It will be interesting though, right if one team is you know, say the Dodgers offer maybe two years. You know when say that, I mean, I really don't. I really think it's entirely possible that there was like a three four, maybe even a five year dealal out there for Bueler, you know, because I think the as bad as things were going through a lot of this year, I don't think there was any question about his health.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Whenever you talk to scouts, they were all saying, right now, it's all mental, it's all mental. And what we saw in the playoffs was obviously this guy that kind of figured out how to be the pitcher he has to be with the stuff that he has right now, you know, And I you know, and I go back to the Lindor strikeout with the bases loaded, in the NLCS, you know, full camp bas is loaded, he throws a guy a curveball, strikes him out, and just go back even a few months right when the Texas Rangers came here, there was a situation again Gate news, you know, fish ending or something, game on the line, two guys on base, Corey Seeger at the plate, you know, and Bueler kind of did the thing he did, you know, three four years ago, which has kind of blow fastball by him. Cory Seger sent that into the stand. And so to me, the difference between those two pitches right those two at bat says really a lot about where locker viewers right now, right he you know, the strikeout of Dugal to end the game, again, that's a curveball. So this is a guy that's really kind of learned to pitch with the arsenal that he has right now. You know, obviously you don't you don't question the guy's heart. I never you know, I never questioned that part of it, you know. So I think there's going to be demand out there and that the Dodgers are going to kind of have to make that's going to be a tough caller it, right, that's probably their toughest decision of this winter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, And sometimes you can't measure a guy's heart and where he's coming back from and what a situation like closing out the World Series does for a guy going forward. Okay, Dave Roberts, he is he put the rest all the questions about, you know, whether he's the guy or not? And does he get the long term deal to be the manager of the Dodgers for the foreseeable feature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, right, I mean, he's been knocked out of that Padres thing, now, I you you guys, we've had many conversations about this. You know, I'm a Dave Roberts guy. I wouldn't have fired him, but there was talk right that if he had lost, right, theyve been knocked out by the Padres, that that could have been it. Well, now he's he's in line for the Hall of Fame now, right, I mean he's got two World Series. He will get that extension.
Speaker 1: Uh right.
Speaker 2: And by the time you know, you right, you know you you're managing the Dodgers. You're gonna win nighty to one hundred games a year. You do that for the next five years, he's gonna have a nice win total. I mean, he's not just you know, their guy now, he's a Hall of Fame guy now. And so you know, you talk about guys whose lives really kind of changed in this thing. You know, obviously Walker dealers up there. I would even say Freddie Freeman's life has changed in a way that he probably doesn't realize yet. But Dave Roberts' life has definitely changed. And and you know what, you see it too when when he addresses the crowd now, right, I mean I think like last year, remember he was making pitching changes, the crowd of the home crowd was booing him, you know, now right they close out the end off CS. You know, he goes out there and and you know they're all right, you know, everybody's cheering him now, you know, the fans and the fact the way the fans are reacting to him, reacted to him has completely changed. Yeah, he's going to manage here now as long as he wants. You know, I think he's always kind of wanted to be you know, kind of the dis Generation's Tomula Sorda, and he's definitely going to have the opportunity to do that, all right.
Speaker 1: Dylan as always we appreciate it. Thank you for the.
Speaker 2: Time, No, thank you guys for me on.
Speaker 1: All right, there goes our good friend, uh, Dylan Hernandez at the times. And let's face it, you might say he's critical. All this might suggest he's very fair. You know, he's he's one way or the other. And he calls him the way he sees him.
Speaker 3: I think the walk he doesn't waiver, he's not going to straddle defense. That's that's Dylan, and that's what we love about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and look the two questions, all right, Hernandez and Walker bueller, what do you do? Right? What do you do? What do you do? I mean, what do you do? Freddie?
Speaker 3: What do you you got a first lesson? Let's take ta Oscar. I mean, he's gonna probably he's gonna probably warrant some some attractions from some other teams to go sign him to a long term deal with some good money behind it. All right, you know what, Rodney, he's made a sense to wait, wait, wait, yeah, on the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just do this on the other side, because we've got to get into it. Yeah, let's do it. Let's do it. Before Dylan spoke, I thought I'd do one thing. Now after hearing Dylan, I might do another. Okay, right, let's get to it. Oh yeah, oh yeah, what a great day. What a great day.
Speaker 3: Great a great day, spending it with you in the afternoons as you drive home, as you drive from Dodger Stadium to celebration, if you were there, if you have taken off of work, taken off school because it was a Dodger celebration day.
Speaker 1: Good for you. We enjoy being here with you.
Speaker 3: Rodney Peat, Fred Rogan on a beautiful Friday celebration Friday, Freddy, All right, let's go, Rodney.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get to your question because I don't want to answer that. I kid you not remember last hour? Uh, we played the clip with G Money to pop up? Man, G Money had to pop up. Yeah, And we said, if G Money's listening to us or anybody knows him, to call in. Well the man himself, G Money apparently is now on the line. Is this you G Money?
Speaker 4: What's happening all right?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Wait? Is this G Money? Is this the real G Money? That's right now?
Speaker 4: This is the real G money?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 4: Who would man?
Speaker 1: All right, do you remember what you said earlier to confirm it. You what did you say, G Money, when somebody asked you a question.
Speaker 4: I said, I'm the best that did it and and I'll get away with it.
Speaker 1: That's it is, G Money. Ah he did. That's exactly what you said. All right, So how to go today? What first? What alcohol were you selling? And where exactly were you?
Speaker 4: It was that fit and and grand.
Speaker 1: Okay and grand.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: That was my first time ever like experiencing that. Man. That was the best time you could have. I just hate that the parade was so short, man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you always wanted it longer.
Speaker 3: G Money, So, G Money, you did the pop up man tell us about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had to get back they had to get back to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's what your money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pop up though, G Money tell us about the pop.
Speaker 4: Up well, man, the pop up man, I'm always doing my thing in so far man, So I gave it a try right here and it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was way better than the sofar man. The energy, the crowd man. Man, they was calling out my name and I'm like, what the hell I thought I was? I thought I was somebody for like four hours.
Speaker 1: All right, So G Money what what what were you selling there? What were some of the brands of alcohol you hadna.
Speaker 4: Vodka, tequila, whiskey, Uh, modello ship, I had it all man, white claws a cold.
Speaker 3: But everybody was in the mood, hunt, G Money. Everybody was in the mood because it was a celebration day.
Speaker 4: D Money.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you something, man, I sold all them bottles. Man, when you saw me, I had a lot of stuff. All that was gone. Man. Never experienced that in my life.
Speaker 1: Man. All right, So, G Money, besides opening up pop up bars where you shouldn't. Uh, what else do you do? Oh?
Speaker 4: No, I'm a social worker, bluff. I run group homes.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you run okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called love self Dreams. I got a nonprofit five one one three CIX So you know, I enjoy the community and you know, selling stuff. Man, that's why he called me G money.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, G Money, listen, it's great to talk to you. Thank you all about the community. G Money. I love that way to go, G Money.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you. Man. My boys was calling me saying I'm on the radio. I'm like, what that's a blessing?
Speaker 1: The blessing was all ours G money. Thanks for calling man, have a good weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, Oh you too, man, I'll take it easy.
Speaker 1: All right. There he goes Rodney, G Money, G money, come on, right on.
Speaker 3: We gave him his love, We gave him as flowers. D Money came out to play today. GM money was out here. Money saw an opportunity. He saw an opportunity. G Money did not miss I love it. Let it go, G Money, Kevin, you're a big fan of G money.
Speaker 5: You know, setting a great exact sample for the kids he works with doing social work, selling alcohol very legally on the street.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's at the group. Great example.
Speaker 3: That must be a great wholesale group, partylog wholesale prices. Today's prices are not tomorrow's prices.
Speaker 1: Crisis are not tomorrow's. That's how G money rolls, Rodney. That's it. That's it, baby, that's it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about t Oscar and Walker Bueler when we get back. Let's do it. Oh yeah, what a celebration day.
Speaker 3: You know they were playing at the parade and the event at Dodger Stadium back how about uh, how about so hey speaking in English? That banking the Dodger fans. That was great, right, Yeah, top of the hours, we can speak English, right. You know what we're going to do at the top of the hour, because we haven't done it for everybody that did not have an opportunity to hear it today or if you'd like to relive it, We're gonna play highlights, play highlights from what happened on stage when we come back at the top of the hour. So that'll be cool looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Okay. You asked the question to Oscar Hernandez Walker Buehler and wondered what I would do if I were the Dodgers before we talked to Dylan Hernandez, I would have said, sign them both, and let's not even have another conversation. That's done in my mind, that's done to the Oscar has said he is indicated he wants to really be here. So Dodgers might think they can get a little hometown discount, but you know, you're still gonna have to pay the guy twenty five million dollars a year. So it comes down to how many years you're gonna have to pay him for. You have to pay him for four years, I'm in.
Speaker 3: How old do we know how old is Taioscar Off the top of our head, we know.
Speaker 1: He's thirty two, thirty two, thirty thirty two, thirty two. Okay, so give him four years, three year deal, three or four year deal, right, we can do that. Yeah, that's done, Walker, buell Or, I'm saying, resign him. But then when you heard Dylan Hernandez and you really started to think about the pitching situation. To me, it comes down to this, and I want him to stay. But how many years? How many years? And how old is Walker? Now we're checking it right now. He's got to be thirty, right, he's got to be thirty. Yeah, so right around there, I think if he bites it two years, would you give it to him at twenty five year? It's not my money. I'm just throwing money around like it's water here, but your money. Yeah, like it's my money, but you know it's not so I can toss all the money around here. Would you give him two years? I would? But two years at what though? Two years at what? Two years at top of the market, two years, two years at what whatever the market would be for two years at that point, so you know, don't talk about another Japanese pitcher, young kid coming out that they might have interest in. I don't know what he he goes. Four comes down to how many years you want to sign the picture for. I think the thing I learned through this, and you have Yamamoto for the next twenty seven years. No more long term deals for pictures. The tops on you, I'd say tops, I'd say three two three, that's it. Yeah. No, I think.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I think for a picture. Look, I wouldn't do a picture for ten years. No, but but I think you know, a six year deal, seven year deal for a picture, you do it a young pitcher, a pitcher in his prime. Absolutely, I do that.
Speaker 1: Well, they did it for Yamoto, Yeah that they did it for Yamamoto, and I think that'll probably be the last one of those. What a glass Now sign? He signed like a six year deal, didn't he? Or what did he did? Three year? Five years deal? Glass Now? Yeah? I think it was five?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, glass Now signed for five.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. Cole signed five.
Speaker 5: I believe that was for eight or nine.
Speaker 1: I think it was nine, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't do the ten twelve year deal for a picture, no more. But I definitely would like in that six have an eight range. I'm okay with that, would you really? I don't think I did. Yeah, I don't think I do it.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with that. It depends what it is like.
Speaker 5: You can't give that the beaut of the guy's had two Tommy John surgeries. That's not a smart enough Yeah. He just turned thirty last month, by.
Speaker 1: The way, Okay, so give him three years. The problem is what if he can make you know, somebody gives him a five year deal. I don't know if you do that, knowing you okay, all right, would you give Blake Snell a five year deal? No? I wouldn't, Okay, I know you love him, you want to marry him. You love him, now, stop it, stop it stop. I don't know why I did that.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're a guy like if your deals, you are marrying him in a sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you like him a lot. No, I would know. But where where where does Walker line? Is he thirty? He is exactly thirty three years? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I I could commit five years to him, which I'd commit five years to Walker Buler absolutely. First of all, he gave you what he gave you already so there's something there. There's something there, and then you got to figure, okay, he can give me. You know, he's had the two Tommy Johns. That's why you can't give him longer than five. But I do a five year deal with Walker Buler, Absolutely, absolutely, I would, you know, as long as he's not gonna break the bank, which I don't think anybody else out there is gonna go crazy on him as much as the Dodgers. But I'd be I'd be reasonable and go fair with him and go get him and lock him up for five years given, because you know, when he's when he's good, there's not many people can touch him. And he's talented and got to compete, as Ned like to say, and he rolled with you, he got you there, and he wanted the ball. So I'm going for Walker, Butley, he's one of ours. He's one of ours, all right.
Speaker 1: When we come back, as we continue on this afternoon, we're gonna let you hear what happened on stage if you if you didn't have an opportunity to hear it. Kevin has put it together. It's great. And then later in the hour, Net Colletti will join the show