Speaker 1: And welcome.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: How are you welcome to the Big Podcast on this Friday today? It's the tenth day of October, year of Our Lord twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. So as we just finished recording the podcast yesterday and we got the word that Letitia James has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Virginia, And I mean, were you surprised? I wasn't, was it? Well, there's all kinds of opin on this, but it basically no question. Latitia James went after Donald Trump. A selective enforcement chose him and then found the crime to attach to him. She promised she would go after Donald Trump. Are you surprised that Donald Trump is going after her? And people are like, oh, is this political retribution? Yes, yes it is, This is no question. But she also will let the courts decide on this.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: Pretty simple to prove, I would think once they get into court. Is there's documents about mortgages, and when you get a mortgage, there's two pounds and two inches of paperwork to fill out. But in that paperwork there is some place where you need to declare is the mortgage going to be on a property that's your primary residence, or will it be on a property that's a secondary residence, or will it be on an investment property, because all of those categories have different rates of interest. The banks charge different amounts because the risk is higher if you don't live in the property, if it's a second home, or even more risky if it's an investment property in which you collect rents. So let's start off. Well, we got that, We've got the Nobel Peace Prize, We've got the President had a physical today. We'll talk about that. The National Guard, the court in a federal court has said no on the National Guard for two weeks in Chicago. And the farmers in this country versus Argentina soybeans. So we got a lot to cover with. But on Latitia James, Yes, Donald Trump's going after her because she went after him. I think it's pretty obvious. So she should have dodded her and crossed her t's and we'll find out whether she did or not. But would surprise me was the left media is sticking up for Letitia James because they don't like Trump. I don't know if they like her, but the fact that Trump's going after her, they're going to take her aside. Listen to this. This is Cassie Hunt. She's an anchor at on CNN, and she literally said about mortgage fraud that everybody does mortgage fraud, don't they just James.
Speaker 4: And again we're still getting the details.
Speaker 5: But if it's related to this mortgage issue, I mean, this is something that everyone in America, or many people at least if you're lucky enough to be able to buy a house in America, you.
Speaker 6: Deal with this.
Speaker 1: Really, everyone does this. You just lie to the bank. And it's called bank fraud and lying to banks. And though those are both crimes. So here's Letitia James when she was running for her office as Attorney General in the state of New York.
Speaker 7: He should be charged with obstructing justice.
Speaker 8: I believe that the president of these United States can be indicted for criminal offenses, and we would join with law enforcement and other attorneys general across this nation and removing this president from office.
Speaker 1: About all the music in there, it was a campaign commercial where she said she believes that Donald Trump should be removed from the White House. She did not want him to be elected, and she would do everything to go after him. There were many commercials like that that were aired in New York that were all about the fact that she's going to get Donald Trump if you vote for her. Well, even Anderson Cooper, who certainly hangs out on the left side of the aisle, asked of pertinent.
Speaker 9: Question, Jeff I mean.
Speaker 10: According to PolitiFact, the day after she was elected in twenty eighteen, letician James was asked by a community activist as she was going to to President Trump, and she replied, quote, Oh, We're going to definitely sue him. We're going to be a real pain in the ass. He's going to know my name personally. I mean, that's not a great look for somebody who has just been elected or just been campaigning, who hasn't even looked, I guess at deeply at any evidence.
Speaker 1: She also made a big point of when she got Donald Trump indicted in Manhattan District Court. She went to the trial, she sat in the first row and just kind of had a smirk on her face as Trump was going through the process of being indicted in a local court in New York. David Urban also responded, Now, he does speak for people on the right. He's a Republican type of spokesman. This is his reaction.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so Anderson's a couple points. You know, Jeffrey makes the point that people, you know, prosecutors are elected their political animals. But yet I've never Jeff, maybe I'm wrong you point it out. I'm not aware of many prosecutors saying I am going after this specific individual. They're usually political statements, I'm going to be tough on crime, I'm gonna make your lives better, safer communities, those types of political statements, not I'm going to go get the governor. I'm going to take down the president of the United States. So I think that's that's a little it's a little too cute by half on that. And look, Leticia James, you live by the sword, you die by the sword. There is no small crime, as Jeff knows. This is relatively small potatoes, as you point out, Jeff correctly, but it's still mortgage fraud. It's mortgage fraud. She signed on a piece of paper saying I I you know, I allege, I affirm, I swear that these things, these facts are correct. For those of you who filled out a mortgage application, it says on there at the bottom, you fill it out, you sign your name, that this is going to be my secondary residence. She did that knowingly that she was not going to use it as a secondary resident. So that's fraudulently, allegedly fraudulently. And whether it's a small fraud or a big fraud, when near the attorney general of a state committing fraud, it's a bad look Anderson. And to answer your question directly, look, I think the litician James action was terrible. I think any selective prosecution is bad and should be rebuffed, whether it's by Letitia James or by this Justice Department. I think it's bad for America, the American justice system, and people's trust in our system.
Speaker 1: So somebody did a calculation about the fact that what's the difference in money. Well, apparently the interest rate on a investment property that you rent out versus a secondary home was about nineteen thousand dollars of benefit to her. She said nineteen thousand dollars. So that is you robbed somebody at nineteen thousand. That's a felony. Adam Kinzinger, who was a Republican congressman but did not rerun because Republicans were mad at him because he was on the January Sixth Committee. But that's another whole story his reaction, and he's very critical of Donald Trump, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, I think two things can be true here. I think the first thing is Letitia James never should have made those comments. She never should have run on I'm going to go after him before she's seen the evidence, before she's had anything that was wrong, not illegal, that was wrong. And then at the same time, there is no doubt and I mean, we can argue about it, but there's no doubt that this thing went. They went after her specifically for retribution, specifically because it was her. I mean, all you have to do is read the president's accidental fake tweet or whatever thing that's called posts and know that he was basically saying, Pam, here are two people we have to go after. And then all of a sudden, boy, just miraculously, a new person comes in after the other person said that they didn't have enough to make a case and get indicted. This thing, probably, like like Comy's, is either going to be thrown out. I'm not a lawyer, so who knows, either be thrown out before trial or certainly will be seen as what it is, which is revenge. But I think we can hold Anderson. Both things are true. Letitia James never should have said that in the campaign. And also they are going after her for one reason because it's.
Speaker 1: Her yep, just like she specifically went after Donald Trump. So again, like I said, I'm not surprised, But let's bring in a lawyer that tell us how this all shakes out. Here's Jonathan Turtling.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't remember mon Donnie coming out and denouncing James when she ran for office on the pledge to nail Donald Trump for something not even specifying what it might be, or when she charged him in a fraud case where no one lost money and in fact the banks wanted additional loans from Trump and his organization. None of these people were objecting to any of that law fair Now, does that mean that this is a lead pipe cinch of a case or that there's not problems? Of course not. This is going to be a tough case for the Department of Justice to be able to land. While they got this case out of New York, it's in a very blue district in Virginia. And also there's going to be some threshold challenges here, and one of them has some merit. It doesn't mean it's going to prevail. James is likely to say that the acting US Attorney who signed off on these charges was not appropriately appointed and therefore should not have held that office, and if that is the case, then the indictment would go.
Speaker 12: Down well to the overall case itself. Though, I want to rewind the clock back to February sixteenth of last year, when Letitia James really was I guess, the lack of a better word, bragging about the fact that she was trying to hold Donald Trump to account, saying, quote, when powerful people cheat to get better loans, it comes at the expensive, hard working people. Everyday. Americans cannot lie to a bank to get a mortgage, and if they did, our government would throw the book at them. There simply cannot be different rules for different people.
Speaker 4: Ironic, I think in hindsight. Well, but it's really ironic. Is she just asked for half a billion dollars of damages against Trump in the case where no one lost any money. Infact, the bank made money in this case. The government's alleging that she made serious money, that by misrepresenting the status of this property, she made thousands of dollars and so unlike her case, they can actually cite to money that ended up benefiting her. Now does that mean that they can make this case with an entire jury in Northern Virginia. I think the odds still favor James. It also there's also a good chance that this technicality that she's likely to raise could delay the case. The argument is that the president has one hundred and twenty days to assign acting at US attorney, but he had already used that period with her predecessor. And there's also a estion that the reason that predecessor was let go or forced out is that he was not going to sign off on this prosecution. So it's going to get very messy, very fast in this case.
Speaker 1: So this is the second case that has come up. They've got an indictment against James Comy, and they've also now got an indictment against Letitia James. The whole thing about political retribution was brought up with Pam Bondi, the Attorney General, while she was before the Judiciary Committee in the Senate earlier this week.
Speaker 5: President Trump is the most transparent president in American history, and I don't think he said anything that he hasn't said for years. Comy was indicted in the Eastern District of Virginia by I may point out, one of the most liberal grand juries in the country.
Speaker 4: Well, both the Komy and James are likely to make two claims vindictive prosecution selective prosecution. Those are very difficult claims to make. They will be citing President Trump in that posting of his complaining that why haven't you indicted these people? And that is going to be the central piece of evidence they use to try to make out those claims.
Speaker 3: The question is.
Speaker 4: Whether they will be able to prevail. Now in federal court. James went to New York Court and got a very favorable judge. We'll see how this plays out. But those types of cases, and I've made those types of arguments in court as criminal defense attorney, they are very hard to make. Judges do not like to look at motivations if there is an otherwise valid crime in the indictment.
Speaker 1: So both cases legitay. James and James Coley both in the Eastern District of Virginia, which is a very blue part of the state of Virginia, So they have that going for them. But there's no question Trump's going after them because they went after him. It's pretty obvious. Meanwhile, the peace agreement between Hamas and Israel is the first part of it is done the first twenty four hours, and the Israeli defense forces have pulled back to behind this yellow line on a map, so that that checks one of the boxes on the agreement. Now, the next seventy two hours are going to be critical, and a lot of people are worried whether Hamas will in fact complete the rest of this deal, at least phase one, which is to release the hostages. They're now saying Originally they said it would be Saturday or Sunday, then they said Monday. Now they're saying maybe Monday or Tuesday, and so everybody's kind of holding their breath to see what that is all about. Now, what about the impact on the legacy of Donald Trump. Tim Naftali is a presidential historian and he he thinks it is a big impact on Donald Trump's legacy.
Speaker 13: This is very important for President Trump's legacy, and one would wish that someone could advise him not to focus so much on the Nobel Peace Prize and focus on the next steps in the Middle East. President Trump, in a sense has achieved something that has eluded many presidents in the Middle East since the Carter era. He had the ability to box in the Israeli leader. He did something that Joe Biden couldn't do, and it wasn't because of Joe Biden's weaknesses. It's simply that bib Net Yahoo played Joe Biden and could not play Donald Trump in the same way because Bbtyah, who understood that there was no way of getting around this White House. He couldn't go to the Congress as he loved to do when Democrats were in the White House and get something better that if he couldn't get complete support from Donald Trump, he wasn't going to get it from any authority, to any authority in the United States. So when Donald Trump made clear to him that he had overstepped by attacking hamas in Cutter, bb was in trouble. And so in a sense where whereas Richard Nixon was the only one who could go to China, donald Trump was the only one who could box in Yahoo. And that's going to be a very positive aspect to Donald Trump's legacy. What happens next really will to determine whether Donald Trump becomes known as a peacemaker. Does the United States play a role in the reconstruction of Gaza. Will the United States continue to support the fact the right of Gosins to stay in Gaza. We all remember that Donald Trump briefly discussed moving Gossins out of Gaza. He stopped calling for that, of course, which would have been a violation of international law. Will the United States help restore a political system in Gaza? And finally, it looks as if the United States is willing to talk again about a two states solution. That was something that was off the table. Certainly is off the table as far as bebing net Yahoo is concerned, but seemed to be a bit off the table for Donald Trump until the twenty point Peace pen emerged. So there's a real opportunity for the President to establish a world historical role for himself. But let's caution him about one thing. When the United States negotiated an end to the Vietnam War for the American part of the Vietnam War with North Vietnam, Richard Nixon didn't win the Nobel Prize. Henry Kissinger won it for the United States. So if there is a Nobel Prize for the Gaza process, next year it might be Steve Whitcoff and Jared Kushner who win it and not Donald Trump's interesting to me is that there was this push in the last few days, and it appears that the Nobel Committee had already made up its made up, made its decision. So the US government, I don't think, even understood the process by which the Nobel Committee did its work, which actually surprised me. So I think it's healthy for the world that the President of the United States is fixated on being used a peacemaker. I think that's excellent for the world, and I hope the President continues his fixation on achieving peace deals. It's good the president, I think, should keep in mind that the Nobel Committee looks at what happens within countries, not just among countries. After all, this year's Nobel Prize winner, Karina mark Machado, won it for what she's done to try to reconstitute civil society within Venezuela. The while the President is certainly engaged on a peace campaign outside the United States, at home, he's sending troops into our cities, which is not consistent with peacemaking at home, and the Nobel Committee will be looking at that in the future just as much as they look at his efforts in Gaza.
Speaker 1: The other salient point here is that, apparently the Nobel Committee this is for giving a peace prize to whatever happened in last year twenty twenty four. The cutoff was in January. So maybe Donald Trump will be the recipient a year from now, or it could be like Tim Daoff Talay said, it could be wit Cough or Kushner. But in any case, the Nobel Prize of Ari Fleischer, former Press secretary. He surprised everybody when was asked about, well, what do you think about Trump but getting the Nobel Prize.
Speaker 14: Well, I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but who cares. The Nobel Peace Prize has been useless for generations ever since they gave Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing. It is the Democratic Peace Prize. It is the Liberal Socialists of Europe Peace Prize. It has nothing to do with actually solving problems or getting things done outside the scientific realm, where I think the actually do good work. But when it comes to peace, no, it is a totally lopsided establishment, old school view of the world and Here's the key factor got this agreement done was the fact that Donald Trump and Steve Whitkoff are outsiders. Anybody who followed the regular diplomatic playbook would have made no progress in the Middle East. They have succumbed to the temptation that the only way to peace is through a Palestinian state. Donald Trump did the exact opposite and worked around that issue to bring peace to the Middle East and now Gaza the Nobel Peace Prize.
Speaker 1: Who Cares, so Arii Fleischer, everybody all flustered because he says who Cares doesn't mean anything, never has, but it does. It means something to Donald Trump. He said, well, it's a prize from back in the old days. Well that's where Donald Trump kind of lives. So he really wants the Nobel Pce Prize. But the deadline for it was for long before this morning, so he did not get that. The woman who got it is this lady from Venezuela. She was brave enough to stand up and run against Nicholas Maduro in Venezuela. She ran for president. When they did the results, she won. She won the presidency of Venezuela. But Maduro said, I'm not going to recognize those results, and he stayed in office and then he sicked the police on her. She's in hiding somewhere in Venezuela. So, I mean, the lady is wildly popular and people of Venezuela want her to be the president, but she is the arch enemy of Nicholas Maduro. So does she deserve the Nobel Peace Prize? I certainly think so. But again, it really I think came down more than anything else to the fact that the deadline was back in January and she did all of her work last year. So Trump will have to wait till next year. And he's also going to have to wait at least a couple of weeks because the federal judge ruled that no, there isn't a rebellion going on in the city of Chicago, so therefore you are not allowed to send federal troops into the city of Chicago. There are laws against that. The governor can invite federal troops into Illinois, but obviously that's Prince Curry. He's not going to do that. And it was interesting because there's some pushback on this. Kevinstead, who is the governor of Oklahoma, big conservative Republican guy put out a statement in a peace sent to the New York Times today. I'll read it to you. Kevin Stitt said, we believe in the federalist system, that's state's rights. Oklahoma's would lose their mind if Pritzker in Illinois sent troops to Oklahoma during the Biden administration. And this is the point I've been bringing up. Two points. One is, yeah, you've got to you always have to play well, what happens when a Democrat is in the White House, and would would they play this kind of game? And if so, Stitt, who is a good guy, good governor in a Republican, very red state, would go people of Oklahoma would go crazy if Pritzker decided to send troops to Oklahoma. Well, that's what happened with Governor Abbott, who I like a lot. He sent troops up to Chicago now that nobody has seen them now because the judge says, you can't use federal troops in Chicago temporary state for two weeks while she sorts through all that. And basically what she's giving the government is the time to appeal that. So and the government has already started that appeal process. So for now, federal troops know in Chicago. The problem with that is ice. What the reason the President was going to send troops there was to protect federal buildings and to protect ice federal law enforcement officers. So they're all on their own until the temporary restrainting order is lifted. Mark Short was the chief of staff for Mike Pence when he was vice president, so he's a big Republican guy. And Megan Hayes speaks for the Democrats. They take up this whole issue of sending the National Guard art with Mark Short.
Speaker 15: I think Governor says one hundred percent correct. I think the Conservatives would lose their mind if you saw Biden or Obama take National Guard from Illinois and send them to Oklahoma or to Texas against their will. I think the reality is that the president does have an ability to send National Guard's troops as he has to Portland, per se when there's writing to protect federal buildings, or to say I'm going to send him to Memphis as a Republican governor has asked for that help. But against the will of a governor who has the sovereign rights over that state to do law enforcement is a totally different step that I think Governor says a hunder percent correct on.
Speaker 1: That, and surprisingly the Democrat spokeswoman Magan Hayes agreed with Mark Short.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I do think that he is pointing out that Governor Abbott is being complicent to Donald Trump and wanting to militarize our streets in a way that is unconstitutional and most Americans do not want and is pretty gross, if you ask me. And so I do think that the Oklahoma governor is calling out Governor Abbott here and saying, friend, you should think twice, because do you want a Democrat doing this to you next time they're in power?
Speaker 1: Exactly how I like to analyze these things has changed the party and say, would you be happy if Obama or Biden had done the same thing to a red state? And I think the answer would be clearly no. There are all kinds of laws about states' rights, and I am huge on federalism states rights, and unless it's enumerated in the Constitution, all the all the constitutional rights belong to the states, except for those that say otherwise. And immigration is enumerated to be a federal issue. So can the can the president send in troops to protect federal property. Yes. Can they send in troops to protect federal law enforcement officers?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think that the judge will, especially on appeal, that Donald Trump, the President, will win. But in the mean time, you've got to do this in a way that respects states' rights, and that's not going to happen because of the political bad blood between Democrats and Republicans, especially Ja Brett, Governor Pritsker, and President Donald Trump. So we got that, We've also got the federal government has announced this afternoon that the reductions in force have begun. In other words, they're firing federal employees. No, we don't know the details. They won't explain the details. Russ Vought or vote how waver you pronounce his name? The Office of Management and Budget just put out a tweet, one line tweet that riffs have begun. So we don't know which departments, we don't know which agencies, we don't know how many. But this is all part of, again the shutdown of the government, which allows them to go about the process of reducing the government to employment count. The President also today went to Walter Reed for his physical and the eyebrows were raised because of the fact the annual physical is annual every year, and yet the president was there six months ago having a physical, and so the question has been raised about how is he doing?
Speaker 2: Oh are you?
Speaker 8: What are you having done?
Speaker 1: And how are you feeling.
Speaker 9: I'm meeting with the troops and I'm also going to do a sort of semi annual physical, which I do, and I think I'm in great shape. But I'll let you know. But no, I have no difficulty thus far. Is there what around here?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 9: Knockoff? No difficulty physically. I feel very good. Mentally, I feel very good. You know I did about six seven months ago. I do physicals. I like to when I'm around, I like to check always early aways, be earliest, a lesson for a lot of people. But I also did a cognitive exam, which is always very risky because if I didn't do well, you'd be the first to be blaring it. And I had a perfect score, and one of the doctors said he's almost never seen a perfect score. I had a perfect a perfect score. I got the highest score and that made me feel good. When they asked would I like to do one? I said yeah. I said, did Obama do it? No? Did Bush do it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: Did Biden do it? I definitely did. Biden wouldn't have gotten the first three questions right. No, Biden didn't do it. Biden should have done it. I'm actually a person that believes that if you're president, you should do a cognitive exam. But last time I took a cognitive exam and it was a perfect score. The doctors announced it and by the way, not the easiest test. The first few questions are pretty easy. Once you get into the middle, it gets a little trick here. There aren't a lot of people in this room that would get every single question right. I can get so.
Speaker 1: Doctor Sanjay Gupta was asked about if he was surprised that the president was going back for another physical six months after the previous one.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, it is somewhat surprising. I mean, you think of these as annual physicals, and people will sometimes get visits to other visits if there's something that they're trying to address or there's some concern. I will give you this backdrop as well. The White House Medical Unit within the White House, it's a pretty pretty robust unit. There's a lot of things they can do there as well, in terms of more regular monitoring for things that are less serious. What they can't do is more sophisticated imaging like cts or MRI scans. Those are the sort of things that you know someone would get at Walter Reed. But you know he has done this before where he's had more than one check up through the years. Go back to his first term. You may remember he had a check up one year and then about a year later a third teen months later. He had another check up in February of twenty nineteen. Then he had that visit to Walter Reed. May remember in November that was an unannounced visit. We weren't told necessarily what that was all about, just that he had that visit, and then again in June of twenty twenty. My point being that he has had a sort of more rapid or frequent cadence of visits in the past as well well. I think with regard to his ankles in his hands, you know so, I think for a lot of doctors it looks concerning, which is why you then ask the questions and you investigate what's going on here. And the answers that the White House Medical Unit has provided in the past, I mean, they do seem very plausible and very reasonable. So when it comes to the ankles, for example, you have blood that's pumping throughout the body. If the blood for whatever reason is not circulating as well, it can start to pool or accumulate, which is what seems to be happening in his ankles, and usually in the ankles because of just gravity. They say this is something known as chronic venus insufficiency. The veins that bring blood back to the heart just aren't working as well, and that's you know, somewhat common one in twenty people, and it gets even more common as people get older. With regard to the hands, again, asked about that, say, he's on blood thinners, he's shaking a lot of hands, so he has his frequent hand trauma, but he's also had a lot of sun damage over the years. If you look at the hands, you can see more bruising on the right, for example, than the left the hand shaking hand. So again that seems plausible. But to your question, yeah, these things look concerning, which is why they are. Then an investigation is warranted, and it sounds like they did that. It's pretty remarkable, right, I mean, if you think about just lifespan overall, in this country. It's around seventy six years old, so last two presidents have exceeded that. You know, so he's seventy nine years old. A few things that we know, basic things that they always give after these visits. Things that we'll probably get today, his weight, blood pressure. A lot to be made of this screening test for dementia known as the mom Treol Cognitive Assessment Exam, and I know he's had this done a few times, I believe at this point, and according to him and his doctors, he's always scored a perfect score on that. We know he's on certain medications, statin medications, cholesterol medications. His cholesterol levels are back down to very reasonable levels, aspirin as I mentioned, maybe associated with this hand bruising. And we know that he's had a cardiac CT scan in the past. I'll just leave you with this that CARDIACCT revealed that he had a high number which was indicative of pretty common form of heart disease. But that's all we really know, so.
Speaker 1: We'll find out later what the results were of his medical exam. Today. There was the President was back at the White House and this kind of late breaking news this afternoon that the President has upped the trade war, putting more tariffs on China one hundred an additional one hundred percent tariff on China that brings the tariffs on products from China to one hundred and thirty percent. He will also impose new export controls on critical software that American tech companies are selling to China, and he's going to put controls on those. We don't know what the controls are at this particular point, but the tariffs. The reason for this is because of the fact that he said that China is not selling us the rare earth materials that we have asked, and so China made an announcement earlier this week about new restrictions on exporting their rare earth materials, their critical components for products such as semiconductors and electric vehicles and jet fighters, and so they dominate in China for the production of rare earth minerals. So Trump earlier had suggested he was going to meet with President shi Jing Peng in South Korea at the coming APEC summit coming up later this month near the end of this month, and now today he said he's no longer going to meet with him. He says I was going to meet with President she in two weeks at APAC in South Korea, but now there seems to be no reason to do so. So on that stock market took a big dive today and we'll get in to those numbers in just a little bit. Well, i'm speaking of health. And for those of you that are March Madness basketball fans, we got the sad news today that Sister Jean from Loyal University in Chicago has passed away at one hundred and six. This is the little old nun that used to attend all of their games and back the NCAH they made it to the final four. They were a cinderella team. They weren't supposed to go anywhere, but she was over there on the sidelines praying for them. And this little nun not only would pray for them, but she also would scout for them. And she would send an email to the coaches of Loyola Basketball's coaches about what the other team could do, and who's good and who's not, and what kind of rebounding they did and everything else. So she was born Dolores Bertha Schmidt in San Francisco. In nineteen fourteen, she joined the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in nineteen thirty seven, and she basically started with the college in nineteen sixty one. She became an advisor to the team and she was a mainstay on the sidelines for the NCAA March Badness Finals. And there was Sister Jean who passed away today at the rifled age of one hundred and well, let's get some phone calls in phone calls from the week. Let's see where we start today. How about with David in Nashville, who wants me to work harder.
Speaker 17: Hey, Tom, this is David in Nashville. Is it possible you can extend your podcast to three shows per day like your radio show used to, because I'll listen to all different types of podcasts, and for some reason, your show is the only one ever that makes time fly while driving and as a truck driver, that I really made my life one hundred times better. And also you used to provide so many details on each show about certain topics. There were things at the media didn't you recover that you did which was really informative.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you, I think for the for the nice compliment. Well liked Sister Jean who's going to cover the Sister Jean story. Nobody? But about doing three hours like the radio show. That's the whole concept about semi retiring is that I want to work less selfishly. I'm sorry. I wish I could do longer, but I just it's a lot of work to put a podcast together. It's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing, So it takes time to put this together. And I do want to put something together that is worth listening to. I hope it is. But doing three hours, I'm sorry, David. I just I'm trying to retire a little bit here. Then rena homeless guy called and he's concerned about the brutality that he sees with all the coverage of ICE arresting people, shooting people with paintball guns, things like that. Here's the homeless guy.
Speaker 18: Hey, John, we know homeless gut. That brutality is just not and weren't had a good look, bro. And as far as I was going to say, now they got eighteen year old doctor, I think we're gonna get more than a I think we're gonna get a Kent State. People are gonna guy listening to Neil Young's Ohio not a good look. I don't care what what part of your career. I think your voters are more responsible than anybody else then, or even the politicians. When you vote for somebody that's your endorsement and noverre qualified. Good luck.
Speaker 1: Well, homeless guy. He may be a homeless guy, but he brought up some really good points to unpack here. One of them is he talked about we may have a Kent State. I've been thinking the exact same thing. Read a homeless guy if you have to. If you're of a certain age, you know what Kent State was all about. But it was during the Vietnam War protest and it was on Kent State University in Ohio. Neil Young wrote a song called Ohio that went on to become a big hit, and was talking about the fact that the National Guard was called in to quell the rioters on the campus of Kent State, and they had rifles and they were armed, which a lot of people thought they shouldn't have been. Anyway, they pointed their guns at the crowd and somebody opened fire and there were a number of Kent State students that were shot. I forget the number that died, but there's an iconic photo of a woman kneeling down over a student that was bleeding to death on the sidewalk at Kent State. And so it was a big turning point in the anti war attitude of his country back during the Vietnam War. And he's saying, we may get another Kent State. Here's why I'm concerned about it too. You may know I did wear a badge and I also was in the Army, so I've seen I've done both of those jobs. They're not the same. And so sending in National Guard. The first of all, these these men and women they have they're civilians, they have jobs, and they're being taken away from their jobs, which I'm sure is distressing them because I'm a number of them. That means they're going to get a lot less paid from the Army National Guard in any case, that's one thing. But the Ice officers. What bothers me about this. I'm concerned about it is that they are recruiting for ice officers and they're offering a fifty thousand dollars bonus. So there's a bunch of people that are signing up to become ice officers. This is a law enforcement agency, a federal law enforcement agency. I don't know of any professional police department that doesn't have a minimum of months and months of training. I've been too long, but I think I was in the academy for seven days a week, live in for four months before they turned me loose on to the public. And I'm going I don't know how they're going to get these people not only vetted. There was I mean when I joined the law enforcement agency I was with, it was a huge attrition for people that applied. Most of the people that applied did not make it through. They look at your background, they look at your credit record, they look at your did you get traffic tickets? To everything? They look at you up one side and down the other. If you want a real professional police department, you have to have good background checks and you have to put them through months and months of training. My concern is there's going to be a bunch of rambos and are going to want to sign up. Do they want to go get fifty thousand dollars bonus and they want to go out on the street and bust some heads, And that is I'm sorry, that will lead to more trouble for ICE than they already have you think the public in some areas are turning against ICE? Some are I think they have a majority of support. I support them. I support them one thousand percent. They're going around picking up illegals. It should not be in our country. I'm all for that, but I want them to be a professional police force. And the idea that Christinoman Homeland Security is offering fifty thousand dollars dangling the bonus out there, You're going to get every Tom Dick and Harry that has the wrong, wrong, wrong reason for wanting to be an ICE officer, and it will lead to possibly bloodshed on the streets. That's what the homeless guy was referring to when he talked about Kent State and listen to Neil Young's Ohio. That's my concern. I'm watching this get nastier by the day, and it will get worse if they bring in a bunch of unprofessional people. Now, if there are people that are trained law enforcement officers that want to leave their departments and join ICE, they still need training to do the job that ICE is doing, but they'll be at least have law enforcement background in training. That would be a much much better solution than just rolling out the fifty thousand dollars dangling that bonus out there, going to You're gonna get all kinds of wrong people to come in. So that's from the homeless guy. So Eric also calls about similar about the about the crime in the big blue cities out there and how to handle it.
Speaker 2: What I think about what Trump needs to do about the crime in those blue cities like Chicago, Portland, LA, New York. He needs to take over their police departments. Yeah, because those civil rights of the people living in there, you know what I mean, you have a right to be, you know, free of crime. I mean, this is just unbelievable. Obama did it.
Speaker 19: He was taking over police departments here in a Bay area. They couldn't follow their you know, their their crime statistics were crazy. And then they took over some you know, civil rights or some some kind of quot fine violation and police department and they take over. So I think Trump needs to do the thing. The same thing is all those police departments.
Speaker 1: Eric may have an excellent point. There are police departments that have become corrupt or have super high violations of civil rights, and the federal government will come in and will basically restructure the police department because of the fact that police chiefs are at the beck and call of the mayors and the mayors or politicians, so police departments have to basically reflect the wishes of the mayors. In Chicago, Brandon Johnson at the chief of Police has to salute him. So to have the federal government come in and take over the police department and install a new police chief and install the top brass and put down some hard and fast rules for a police department to be professional, I think that's a valid idea, and I would rather see the President do that through the Department of Justice than the National Guard, because then you're going to have police departments. The rank and file. They know about the administration of their police departments, and they know where the mistakes are being made. So it wouldn't hurt the rank and file police, it would. It would basically clean out the top level of incompetent or corrupt police officials. So Eric, I like your idea. And finally, like we always like to do. And on Lourie the comment line, lady has some observations about Katie Porter.
Speaker 3: When Katie Porter said she didn't need those people who supported Trump, she was absolutely right, because she's not going to get any votes at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you're right. If you're not familiar the Katy Porter story. She's running for governor of California. She was a former congresswoman from southern California, and she as a very nasty personality. She treats her staff poorly, She swears at him all the time, cusses them out. She thinks she's better than everybody else, she thinks she's smarter than everybody else. So Katy Porter did a very uptight interview with CBS and it didn't go well, and she basically said, I don't need the forty percent of people in California who voted for Donald Trump. And that has led even the Democrats are rolling their eyes on that one. By the way, speaking of CBS, so they were sold and the son of Larry Allison, who is the second richest guy in the country I believe, who runs Oracle, his son has some extra money around and bought CBS and he's going through and making changes at CBS. One of them is he has he bought The Free Press, which is a online media organization started just a couple of years ago by a woman named Barry Weiss, and Barry Weiss was an opinion writer maybe editor at the New York Times, and she bucked heads there and the New York Times. Her fellow employees did not like her because she was talking about being more moderate, not being so liberal anyway, so she basically had to leave there. She started The Free Press. It became very popular, and she just sold it after a couple of years to CBS for one hundred and fifty million dollars. And she is now the head of news operations at CBS. So keep an eye on CBS to see if maybe some of their far left leaning ways are going to moderate somewhat. So we didn't moderate on Wall Street today. No, the President with his bumping up the trade war, especially against China, did not go over well at all on Wall Street. The Dow, oh my gosh, we should almost get almost to the kazoo player. The Dow was down eight hundred and seventy eight points, the now at forty five thousand and four to seventy nine, The S and P down two and three quarters percent, down one hundred and eighty two points, the Nasdaq down almost four percent, down eight hundred and twenty points. So Wall Street got clobbered today because of the President's ramping up the trade war with China. I mean one hundred and thirty percent tariffs on anything and everything coming from China. That's essentially putting trade with China out of business completely. Price of gold, well, they rallied people run to gold when there's times of trouble. Gold was up sixty three dollars, new record high four thousand and thirty five, and the price of oil fell three dollars today it's now down. I haven't seen a five in front of the oil prices in I don't know, maybe a year or more. Down to fifty eight dollars now for one barrel of oil. So that's it for today. Thank you for coming by, appreciate your patronage, and we'll try this again on Monday. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend.