Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Andy Conall, koam ninem god wa.
Speaker 3: Want to say NY three, Bendyconnell, Keith sad Thing, Welcome Buffa, Welcome to a Wednesday feels like Thursday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: It has been a short week, but we have made the most of it. Now I have so much stuff on the blog today. I am Mandy Connall, joined of course by my right hand man. He is Anthony Rodriguez. You may call him a rod. Let's jump right into the blog because we've got a bunch of stuff. We've got guests coming up today. It's gonna be a busy, busy broadcast day. So head on over to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look for the headline that says nine to twenty excuse me, look for the headline that says nine to four twenty four blog The Auric Gang story is exploding and Gabe Evans pops in. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within tick Tech two.
Speaker 5: I think going with some miss in office half of American all with ships and clipments of say that's going to press flinch.
Speaker 4: Today on the blog what is actually happening in Aurora right now? Scrolling Gabe Evans wants to represent the eighth Congressional District. Let's talk about the real estate market for a hot minute. You'll have fourteen ballot initiatives to consider this year. Even more in Denver and the end result of Mommy wine culture. We're a feminist against Tamas. Are Republicans secretly hoping Trump loses courage in the face of absurdity. No green energy subsidies don't work. No melatonin doesn't work either. Gen Z loves botox and they need to stop curious about the redo of Casabanita. The top ten places to retire, Yoga and butter Flies a nightly routine that can change your life. Men share the hard parts of dating. What it's like scrolling social media. In twenty twenty four, It's time for the Manning gas production number. Those are the headlines on the blog at Mandy's blog dot com. Now, looking at how thinn the blog is, you might be thinking, Mandy, you really took the day off here. But no, when you see the deep dive that I did looking at all of the different media coverage of the situation in Aurora, whatever that is. I mean that whatever that is, because depending on what news media outlet you consume, you would think that either there's absolutely nothing to see, we don't have any gang issues, no crime in Aurora, don't look over there, or if you consume different news media, you would find out that, yeah, the police have been actively involved with this gang for a long time. Or you would find out that Mayor Mike Johnson says, oh, that's an Aurora on Denver, and you would find out that Mayor Mike Compton says, yeah, we've got a problem, but it's isolated. I mean it's it's all over the place. You like me to present you with horses mouth, yes, please? Or a Mayor Mike Kaufman was on with CMN this morning and this is what he said.
Speaker 6: Well, Mayor, all of these questions are really stemming from that viral video that show what looked like Venezuelan gangs breaking into an apartment complex.
Speaker 4: Can you provide some clarification on that. Have a rest been made?
Speaker 6: Is this part of that TDA gang or do we know any other information about how many are involved in any of these situations.
Speaker 7: You know, there there certainly have been a rest of TDA gang members, so that's that's a big concern. And so you know, again I hope to resolve this really soon. I've got you know, the interntief of police saying that it's not an issue, and I've got the property owners saying saying that it is. And so I hope to be have a meeting with the residents from.
Speaker 8: Both apartment buildings.
Speaker 7: This week as well as a meeting with representatives of the property owners this week, so we to bring this to a conclusion, you know, whether or not it's it's gang related or not. The fact is that there's obviously criminality.
Speaker 8: There and it needs to be stopped.
Speaker 7: But you know, are the are the owners doing all that they can in terms of securing their buildings and so I so there's a lot of questions, and I wish I had the answers this morning, but I don't, so at least.
Speaker 4: Mayor Mike Kaufman. I think Mayor Mike Kaufman is being the most honest. I mean, Daniel Dorinsky was put into a position and I want to defend her for just a second here. Daniel Dorinsky started sounding the alarm, only to be told by everyone else in Aurora everywhere else, Oh no, that's not an issue. You're just making this up, didn't. Governor Jared Paula said, it's a quote sigment of her imagination. At the same time, she has constituents coming to her talking about the dangerous situations at these various apartment complex. Says she actually helped move three different families out of these apartments, and the whole time she's being told sit down, shut up, let the grown.
Speaker 5: Ups handle this, and no one was doing anything. Wait, so they're pulling a Donald You are faked.
Speaker 4: Yes, they essentially tried to fake news Danielle Drensky, and the reality was she was sounding the alarm and all they had to do to get her to stop sounding the alarm was say, Danielle, here's what we know so far, here's what we're doing right now, here's how we're addressing this problem. But we don't want to blow it up into something that makes it seem even bigger like it is consumed Aurora. Instead, they tried to shut her down, tell her she was crazy, tell her she didn't know what's going on, tell her her constituents were lying to her. I mean, that's the ultimate end result. So she sounded the alarm, and the alarm is now a three alarm fire. And I'm I think that people that live in these apartment complexes are around them are probably happy. It's finally getting the attention it deserves. So you have to look at all, and I mean all of the coverage that has come out, because let me pull up the headlines really quickly. I have like seven different stories embedded, and I want to be able to cross reference because they are They're fascinating the way that our different news media outlets are handling this particular situation. I want to start with the Denver Zette because they are doing extremely complete reporting, using things like pulling police logs and getting nine to one one reports and things of that nature. And I want to share just part of this. Newly released details compiled from police written arrest affidavits, hinted of a twisted tail involving to Venezuelan brothers who allegedly intimidated other immigrants with guns and threats. Witnesses said they bragged that they owned an apartment complex in North Aurora and funded their gang by stealing from Walmart stores. But just before dawn on July twenty eighth, Janardi J. Pacheco Tiranos twenty two and his older brother, Janardi Dejezos Pacheco Chiranas, twenty four. We're part of a group of several men who terrorized residents of the Aspen Grove apartments at Nome Street with automatic weapons. It was a drunken night turned violent, according to a July thirtieth rest a warrant, and the brothers are now in ice custody. Now that is that everything that they said there happened, because they're using arrest affidavits to sort of determine what's going on with these two brothers. Now, this all happened at the Nome Street apartment complex that has already been shut down. And I want to come back to that later because we have a significant issue with affordable housing in this area and governments are coming in and they are condemning these properties. And don't get me wrong, I also embedded on the blog today the citizen reporting done by a guy named Tyler Olivera. He went to these apartment complexes and asked people the questions. Now, a lot of the residents were like, no, no, there's no gangs. No gangs. No, no, no, no gangs.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: I don't know. But some people were like, yeah, for my own security, I don't want to talk about this. And if you watch the video, it is easy to infer from the behavior of the people in the complex that they are not going to put themselves in the line of fire because when Tyler Olivera, or the police or everybody else leaves, they've got to live there.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: There was a press conference yesterday that was called by a bunch of residents in one of these apartment complexes, and they were rightly calling out the owners of these apartment complexes for being slum lords, which is not in doubt. I mean, all you have to do is look at the pictures. There's garbage piled up outside, there's garbage inside. They have a mice, a mouse infestation, they've got a bedbug infestation. These apartments are not habitable by any standard for human beings. So we do have a slow looard situation. But what we have is a slum lords situation meeting Venezuelan gangs. How do I know this? Because we know this because the let's see the I'm trying to figure out which one is the one that talked about The owners of the apartment complex sent a letter two not just Attorney General Phil Wiser, but also to the mayor saying, look, we have lost control of these apartment complexes. We've lost control and we need help. And now that might be just pr but here's the thing. What if they're not lying, what if there's slum lords. Let's concede to that fact they're slum lords. And at the same time they are doing even less because these gangs have taken over and their staff essentially refused to come to work anymore. We're done, We're not working anymore. So it's we've we've got this convergence of things happening and in Aurora. Now, somebody just pointed out on the Common Spirit Health text line you can always text us at five sixty six nine, and they said, Mandy, it's widely happening in Denver. The fact that Mayor Johnston is not addressing it is a bigger crime. Oh, Mayor Johnston is basically like, hey, everything's fine in Denver as long as you don't look at the homeless hotels. Forget about the trouble Tree or the meth Western. Everything's fine, everything's fine, We're doing everything right. I mean, it's absurd. You did you just come up with the last nick name? No, I did not. The meth Western has been around for a while. Oh man, the Trouble Tree in the meth Western. Are there ever been better nicknames for that? I mean, there's another hotel, but I don't think it has I don't know if it hasn't a nickname yet. Somebody will let me know if it does. Hey, Mandy says this Texter. Last night Fox thirty one had the residence of one of those apartment buildings. All they wanted was to have the place cleaned up. They're probably just used to having Venezuelan gangs around. The guy had a Venezuelan shirt on. Now, it is my understanding, and I have not verified this myself, so this could be wrong. It is my understanding that that press conference was organized by a group that is funded by government. City of Aurora, City of Denver behalf of immigrants. So they came out to say, because here's the problem, you guys. You have forty thousand Venezuelan's living in the metro area at this point, right I mean twenty thousand. They say half of them left. So twenty thousand New Venezuelan immigrants living here in the metro A vast majority of them are not criminals. They're not part of a gang. They're not here to rob people and steel. They're here because genuinely they want a better life. Now what percentage of the twenty thousand is are members of a gang? I don't know. I have no idea, but I have to believe it's not a vast majority. So you're trying to balance not turning people against people who came here for a better life, who are trying to live here, work here, do the right thing. They want to raise their families here. You don't want to cast them in the same light as these gang members, right, I mean, it's not fair. It's really not fair. Now I could argue about their methodology of coming to the United States walking across the southern border. I mean, we could talk about that for a while, can I I'm to have a sidewinder just for a second, you guys. I have a friend whose husband is Irish. They have been married for twenty three years. She lived in Ireland for many years now. They've been moved back to the United States. He is trying to get the final paperwork to be a naturalized part of the United States of America because he's been married to an American woman for twenty three years and he now has to do another immigration interview and he has to do it in the UK. That's how absurd our immigration system is. I mean, it's just insane what he is and the money that they've spent. So it doesn't shock me or surprise me that someone would try to take the cheater's way out and just walk across the southern border and be welcome with open arms. But the reality is not all of these people are bad people, but the reality is also that some of them are some of them are very bad people. So now we're in this situation where Aurora is getting a massive black eye, even though I believe and if you live in Aurora, you can comment on the text line about your current situation. But we all know, first of all, Aura is ginormous, right, It's a huge land mass, massive land mass, So it stands to reason that Aurora is still the same as it's been for a long time. When people ask me about Aurora, this is what I say, in Aurora. You can drive down a street and you can see beautiful neighborhood on the right, beautiful neighborhood on the left, and then you drive a half a mile and you're literally in the slums.
Speaker 5: I used to live in a part of Aurora. You literally would not go far like oh this is nice. Yeah, and then real quick, oh oh wow, this.
Speaker 4: Is what we talk about. Oh yeah, I mean, Aurora is is really a tale of two cities. And you can have parts of Aurora that are just gorgeous and wonderful and they have good restaurants and you're like, yes, let's go, and then you go into other parts where you're pretty sure you're gonna be shot. So Aurora already has these issues. And Mayor Mike Kaufman, to his credit, by the way, Mayor Mike Kaufman, has no power in Aurora none. He is a figurehead. The real power comes from the city manager, John Batchelor, who he's the one in charge of the police department. He's the one in charge of public safety. And I haven't seen him anywhere now. I understand he's off this week or some I don't know, but he's been nowhere and he's the one with all the power. He's the one that makes all the money. So Mayor Mike Kaufman is out there basically doing PR. He's doing powerless PR. He's trying to save whatever reputation that Aurora has been slowly but surely building back up. I think under the current leadership of the current city Council, their aggressive approach to homelessness that is about WorkFirst and housing secred I mean, there are some really great stories to tell in Aurora right now. This apartment complex situation is not one of them. I would have lost something up to you guys, and as a libertarian, I am loath to have government insert itself into an account of private industry. But hear me out. So Aurora already condemned one of these apartment complexes on Nome Street. But instead of now you've kicked all these people out at a time where we don't have enough affordable housing, right, we don't have enough housing units. So instead, here's my plan. If I were running things in Aurora, I would simply say to the slan lords, you have four weeks to clean up everything. Four weeks to clean up everything. We'll give you the security that you need during the day, but you have four weeks to clean it all up. If it's not cleaned up and you're free of code violations and everything else, then we are going to seize your building, but we're not kicking anybody out. We're going to then contract a company to come in and clean up all the code violations, and then we are going to contract a company to manage the property for the next year, and then in a year, we are going to sell that apartment complex to a company that will run it. Probably will shoot for lowally owned, so we don't have any distance saw lords, and we're going to fix this problem instead of just condemning it. So they make their money back from all of the repairs and everything they've done by selling the complex in a year to someone else. But you've solved the problem and let people stay in their homes. Oh, Jason Bachelor, not John, thank you for that. Thank you for the correction. Texter Mandy, it's inhumane to invite these people here by not protecting the southern border, only to have them live in these conditions. I agree wholeheartedly, but this is one of my personal concerns based on personal experience. When you bring in people from essentially what has become a third world country. They bring their third world country habits with them. I mean, just like things like and I'm not talking about Venezuelan's because Venezuela was a developed economy for a very long time. But when you're talking about some places in Ecuador and Guatemala and these developing nations where they don't have plumbing that can handle toilet paper and things of that nature, they bring all of those habits with them, and I find that very concerning, very concerning. So it's like the slum lords are no longer collecting rents. The gang is collecting rents now. They lost control of their revenue stream. I don't Here's the thing. I don't care. If I am in an apartment complex and all of a sudden people stop paying rent because they said they were paying to gang members, the first thing I would do is fly here from wherever I was, and I would go meet with the police force and say I need help cleaning up this complex. But the reality is is they've been slum lords for a long time. The city of a War has had an ongoing issue with this particular company for a long time.
Speaker 5: If the gangs are taking over and if they are taking people's rent, I wonder if they're asking, like for less Well, to encourage give it to us for less Well.
Speaker 4: The people who live in these complexes say they're not, they're paying rent to the management company. But again, and I think that the people living in these complexes are scared and they have to live there at night when all the cameras leave, and they're in a situation where they don't feel like they have other good options. So I don't know how real that is, but I guess the slow lords are flying in and they're meeting with mayor and others tomorrow to sort of sort this out. And if I'm the slow lords, this is what I do. I say, take the building, take it, just take it, take away their spie. I don't want to deal with it anymore because the building probably isn't worth that much at this point because it's been so badly damaged. So I don't know when we get back. I want to read some of your text messages. If you live in Aurora, and I mean any part of Aurora, tell me your story on the text line. Do you still feel safe walking around your neighborhood? Are you still going to the same restaurants. Can you still shop in the same areas or are you still comfortable living in your home? Because again, Aurora is massive, and I don't think this is a widespread, massive problem. I think it's an extremely significant an issue in a very small part of Aurora. We'll be back right after this our chief meteorologist from Fox thirty one, Dave Fraser. Dave Fraser, how are you today? I'm good.
Speaker 10: How you doing, Mandy, I'm doing well.
Speaker 4: I heard a little rumor that we're going to get some fall tomorrow, Like sweater weather is right around the corner.
Speaker 11: It's a brief duck around the corner, and then we'll take another corner and go back to that Warman drive.
Speaker 4: Yeah day, nice a little turn.
Speaker 11: Yeah a Rod wasn't happy with Meaty there.
Speaker 4: So we count on you to fix the weather the way we like it, Dave, not just the way you're predicting we need it. Was like, so, what are we looking at nice day tomorrow and then back up for the weekend. Is it going to be that fast?
Speaker 11: It won't be that fast. So today we're getting a seasonal correction. Last couple of days we've been in the hot nineties, it was ninety three on Sunday and ninety three on Labor Day, ninety four yesterday. So today we're going to be around season, which is eighty four, and then tomorrow we'll be in the load of mid seventy rushing. Yeah, and so we've got two coal fronts coming in. One is actually coming in right now. You'll look outside, you'll see the building clouds. We should start to get into showers and thunderstorms here pretty quickly, which will take us into the evening. They will be scattered, and some of that could linger past midnight into early Thursday before kind of drizzling showers wrap up with some late day sunshine. But you'll feel the refreshing change tomorrow. And then the other quarter that we'll turn is to head back to the upper eighties to near ninety degrees, but it'll take several days to inch back in that direction, so lower eighties, mid eighties uper ratings, and then maybe close to ninety degrees early next week. And once we get past tonight and tomorrow morning's chance for rain. Unfortunately, the forecast does look dry, although that's what we expect in September, one of the best months of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so any anything on a ten day, two week outlook that's positive orre we just going to stick around with this kind of weather through September, you know. I, as.
Speaker 11: Always before I get on here with you, I do the six to ten day, which is just a little beyond our normal seven days that we discab on TV. I do the eighth to fourteen day. I do the one month, the three months. I look at all of it, and everything as it has all summer long, continues to show above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation. And while we talked about this in the past, that never tells you anything about the day to day weather, that pattern has certainly proved out. We ended up with the second warmest June an average July for temperatures, fifth warmest August, and second warmest.
Speaker 8: Summer on record for Denver, only behind the.
Speaker 11: Hottest summer, which was twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: Now to be clear, and I actually sent you a text about this the other day. On record is since eighteen seventy two, and it's first reading to me that we don't clarify that because on record sounds like well, the beginning of record keeping went back thousands of years and when you consider how cyclical weather is in ten thousand year and one hundred thousand year, you know, spans to say on record, I think it gives an impression that people this is like of all time, and that's not at all what we're talking about.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a tough sell, right because of exactly what you said, the cyclical nature of thousands and thousands of years. The only thing we could compare it to is that record of history, and it is a short one, but.
Speaker 8: It's the only thing we have to compare.
Speaker 11: And in Denver it's a little frustrating because I get this from viewers all the time. Denver's weather records have been kept in four different places. Twice downtown, then it's Stapleton for the longest time, and then I think it was in nineteen ninety one it transitioned over to DA the airport, which is obviously removed from downtown. So there's always this speculation if we're breaking a record that was set at the airport, or we break in a record that was set downtown. Of course you have to look at what year it was set in. But it's the only body that we have to be able to compare. The other thing is technology. Think about mercury thermometers back in the eighteen hundred versus today's. You know, digital means, and there's rounding of temperatures, you know, So when you look at hourly observations, you'll see ninety six point two, ninety six point four, ninety six point eight. And then you do all the averaging for your monthly averages, taking all the highs and the lows, adding them together, dividing out by the number of days in a month to come up with an average, to be able to compare month to month to month over a series of years. So listen, It is not a perfect science, but it does give you a little bit of an understanding. To say, Denver's average is eighty four today and I tell you it's going to be ninety four. I think you can make the comparison.
Speaker 10: That's a hot day.
Speaker 11: Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: And I think in Denver, moving that weather station from downtown to the airport it is significant, maybe more significant here because the airport's on the planes, right, I mean, it's it's a completely different weather area in a lot of ways. And I do think that those changes are probably more jarring than they would be if we move from a similar climate to another similar climate at different place. I mean, do you find that to be true?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would agree with you on that one hundred percent. As a matter of fact, on the National Weather Service website, if you look for under their climate tape, you'll find a snow comparison and what it will do is it will show you contours of total snow over averages for where the records were kept. And you can see the snow totals are a little higher when they were downtown and a little less as you move out towards the airport. And that has to do with exactly what you said, the topography. It's not a huge difference.
Speaker 8: We're not talking feet of difference between where the.
Speaker 11: Sites were originally recorded versus the airport, which is, you know, nineteen miles away. But you can see those subtle differences, and it has to do with the sloping of the topography. The closer you get to the footals in the mountains, obviously the totals are deeper the more you move out into the planes that are a little bit lower. So, you know, no surprising to see that it is not a perfect, as I said, a perfect opportunity to compare, but it is the only comparison we have.
Speaker 4: Well, on that note, I sent you an email. Did you get Craigs the email that I afforded to you.
Speaker 11: I did, and it's top the list of craigcent he pulled from both weather dot Com and Craig's up in longmant Craig for thanks for sending in the question. He pulled Wikipedia averages for Denver, and he also went to weather dot com for averages for Denver. So I pulled up the list that he sent.
Speaker 10: He pulled it.
Speaker 11: The problem is anybody can edit Wikipedia, as you know. So I went in and I looked just for comparison to see. And what I can't figure out is if the numbers Craig included in his spreadsheet for June, July, and August he was looking at the summer of twenty twenty four was from a site possibly in downtown Denver, versus the quote unquote at the airport. So I'll give you it for instance, So on the first of August he reported Denver hit one hundred and one. On the second of August his report shows one hundred. Well, the airport reported ninety nine on the first and one hundred and one on the second and then he had ninety six. They had ninety six, and then he had ninety nine. They had one hundred and two. So the numbers don't jive. The averages are going to be very different.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the lesson is still everything from Wikipedia should be looked at with a skeptical eye.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, yeah, absolute, and if you want, if you want official, Despite everything we just talked about, the only record keeping we have that is considered official based on the National Weather Service, who is the record keeping organization for weather across the country, is that site out at the airport, and the official record can be found on their website, and that's where.
Speaker 4: I would go to get the official numbers to the Texter you just sent, No, Mandy, the planes are on the airport, haha, sir or madam haha. Ralph asked the question that I was going to ask you because I heard a little news story about this. Are we currently in La Nina or El Nino or neither? And what can we expect for winter? In that respect, we are in La.
Speaker 11: Nina kind of heading towards the neutral and the outlook for winter. I don't know that there's been a conclusion yet whether we'll slip back to Lamina. We will determine that in the coming month to what impacted they have it does have. Lamina and El Nina do have different impacts to east versus west across Colorado, and who benefits and who doesn't. We should be able to work that out. Those are numbers that come out all the time. As matter of fact, when I look at the climate data for the outlooks that I was just telling you about six to ten, the eight to fourteen, the three months, all of that is based on where we are when it comes to those types of patterns for El Nino Lamina. So for right now, you know the next November persistent. You know they're looking at Lamina to emerge in September, and so we may be leaning more towards La Nina from September through November. We'll have to wait and see if that changes a little bit for the latter part of winter, which made the December, January and februe. Don't discount March in April for us here in Denver, Personelo and for.
Speaker 4: That person who's in there cargoing. But what's the difference between La Nina and El Nino.
Speaker 11: It's the difference in the temperatures of the Pacific waters La Nina colder, warmer, and it changes the jet streams flow across the Pacific, and that's the storm track that comes into the United States, the the continuous United States from west to east. So depending on what the ocean waters are doing, the jet stream will kind of fluctuate a little bit, and the movement of that jet can change across Colorado and how it comes over the mountains from more of a northwesternly flow or a southern track. Those differences in the tracks across the state from north to south highly influenced where storms will set up and who will benefit from those different storm systems. So a southern tract will benefit the front range, a northwestern tract will benefit more. Northwestern Colorado will be a little drier, and it also influences temperatures as well. So those things are taken in, but they're like the long range outlook. It's not a day to day. We stable the day to day. We get into the nitty gritty, we get into the details. We're looking for the hard numbers. Then when it starts, when it ends, how much you're shoveling all of that kind of stuff, and you.
Speaker 4: Can find out all that nitty gritty every single day on Fox thirty one. They're great meteorology staff can keep you up to date. And Dave Fraser, we appreciate you. We'll talk to again next week.
Speaker 8: I have a great week and weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, that is Dave Fraser. We will be right back from you. Aurora rights. What do you call people Aurorans? That doesn't sound good, Aurorans or a What do we call the people of Aurora? I ran closest. I don't know. That doesn't sound good though. That's not a good sounding name, Aroon. Nothing else sounds good Aurorans, Aurora anyway. A lot of you weigh in, A lot of you weigh in. And this one says Mandy. I'm fifty years old and I've lived in Aurora my entire life. Other than four years in Fort Collins, I've steadily moved southeast over time to the nicer areas of Aurora to get my kids in the Cherry Creek School district. I know exactly the areas of Aurora to avoid, in which ones are generally nice and peaceful. My daughter and her friends wanted to go see their high school football team play in Aurora Public School team at the APS Stadium next to Hinckley High School last Friday. Knowing that that is not a good area, my wife and I said they could not go without us. Unsurprisingly to me, multiple fights broke out in the stands and in the parking lot shortly after halftime. Multiple police and other emergency vehicles were dispatched to the area to control the situation. My daughter and her friends were horrified, but they will not doubt me again when I tell them which areas are good or bad. Someone posted and he sent a video. We can't. I can't get videos on the text line. Guys, I can't get photos. I can't get any of that stuff on the text line. So oh wait, he said it via another text so it's an Instagram. I'll look at that on the break, Mandy, Are there Venezuelan gangs an Aurora or not? Of course, conflicting reports, and that's really what we've been talking about earlier on the show. It's like, can we just get accurate reporting. The Denver Gazette seems to be the only news outlet that can actually file an open records request for things like police affidavits and arrest records. A lot of other news media outlets my news are just talking to people like Governor Jared Polis and he's like, no, it's fine, and they're like, oh, okay, all right, there you go. There you go. Hi, Mandy. I've been a resident in Aurora since nineteen seventy seven, still live here. Up until the year two thousand, Aurora was a great city to raise a family, and crime has progressively gotten much worse over the last twenty four years, but the worst parts are in certain neighborhoods, particularly where the Venezuelan gang apartments are. My wife and I and our three little kids lived in the Nome Street apartments thirty one years ago and it was a nice community then. Now. I do still feel relatively safe in the majority of the city elsewhere, minus random guns fired off and bad drivers. Mandy, Aurora is dealing with big city problems, but not equipped for it. Most of Aurora is fine, including my neighborhood. By the way, the city, they can't just take a property. It takes multiple trips to court with multiple fines, usually reduced by judges to give a second chance before you can contemplate condemning it so they could get control. The biggest problem is all the players may be telling the truth, which shows the complexity. And I think that's part of it, is that I do think there's truth in all of this. There are Venezuelan gangs, there are slumlords, there are all of these issues. But in trying to solve the problem without just condemning the building, because we already have a shortage of affordable housing, and I think one of the reasons that the residents are keeping things to themselves are number one, they don't want to put themselves in the line of fire, but number two, they're afraid they're going to be thrown out on the street like the Nome Street people were, and that they're not going to have any place to live, and that a roof is better than no roof.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 4: So I'm looking, I'm trying to spitball here how to solve this problem. And I am loath to say that the government should ever be able to seize a property. But if I'm may Or Kaufman and I am Jason Batchelor and I meet with these slum lords tomorrow, I handle a list of code violations and the fines that go with it, and I say, you have one month to solve all these problems and pay all of your code violation fines, or you can just give us the property. What do you want to do? Property can't be worth much now at all, you know, make it hard enough that you then seize the property. You then contract out somebody to come in and fix everything that's wrong with it, and then you hire a management company and then you sell it in a year. You don't keep it. That would be what I would recommend, but you know that's just me. Mandy. I've been a resident in Aurora since nineteen seventy so, oh wait a minute, hang on. I lived in Aurora all my life. I carried mail and Aurora for thirty years and delivered to all of those apartments. They've been run down, low income places for as long as I can remember. It hurts my heart to see how far my city has fallen, and that my friends is right there people who live and grow up in Aurora. It's heartbreaking. I think for Mayor Mike Kaufman, it's heartbreaking. I know that Mayor Mike Kaufman, I know that Daniel Drinsky, I know that everyone on the city Council loves Aurora, or they wouldn't be putting themselves out there trying to fix the problems, but acting like there isn't a problem when there obviously is one. It's just bad advice, really bad advice, because now it's exploded into way more than it needed to be.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell Andyna Kamada say the nicety because.
Speaker 3: Many Connell Keith is sad thing.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. I am your host, Mandy Connell, joined of course by Anthony Rodriguez. It now joined by Rep. Gabe Evans. He is running in the eighth Congressional district against Representative Yadiro Caraveo, and he would love to be your next member of Congress. Gabe, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 10: First off, always great to be on with you, Mandy.
Speaker 4: Gabe and I were just talking before he came on. And I tell candidates this all the time, that they want to come on in like June July of an election year. I go, No one's paying attention to you until after Labor day. So here we are after Labor Day and the track meet to election day is on. I want people to know a little bit about you, Gabe, because I think your story, your backstory is just a really, really good one. So tell people who is Gabe Evans.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean my story starts with my grandparents on my dad's side, career naval officer on my mom's side. Actually an immigrant to the United States from Mexico, earned his citizenship with two purple hearts in World War Two, And so you know, I was born and raised in Colorado, spent twelve years in the US Army, another ten years in law enforcements, and then because of what's happened to public safety in Colorado, I stepped away from law enforcement. In twenty twenty two, ran for and won my state House seat down at the state Capitol of Denver. Been fighting down there for two years to try to just restore some common sense. We know we have a crime problem, we know we have an affordability problem. The fact, you know, I'm married, My wife and I've been married for fifteen years.
Speaker 10: We got two boys.
Speaker 9: The fact that Colorado is the number two state in the nation for teenagers overdosing and dying on fentanyl is abhorrent to me. That's why I got involved in politics after twenty two years in the military and law enforcement. That's why I'm running for Congress now in the eighth Congression district. We have got to fix these problems.
Speaker 4: Well, let's talk specifically about some of those issues. Let's start with crime. You know, we the last hour of the show, I talked about this massive story out of Aurora, and depending what news media outlet you listen to, there's either a huge gang issue in Aurora or there's nothing. I mean, it's the coverage of this story has been really amazing to me to see the broad nature of either dismissiveness or panic that is on display. But it's a real problem in Congress. What do you do to help with the problems that we're having here in Colorado when it comes to crime.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 9: So I was a cop in the Denver metro area from twenty eleven to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 10: And what we know is there's three big driving factors that are.
Speaker 8: Going on here.
Speaker 9: Number One, we've got a wide open southern border. We've got transnational criminal organizations and cartels that are coming into the United States. But then problem number two is what the progressive left has done.
Speaker 10: Here in Colorado.
Speaker 9: They've literally defunded the police. They have voted for those policies. They've lowered the penalties.
Speaker 10: For drug dealing, for breaking into cars, for everything that you can think of.
Speaker 9: And so that's attracted these cartels, these transnational criminal organizations. Out of the fifty states in the United States, they're going to go to places like Colorado because the state, the Progressive Democrats and the state have handcuffed law enforcement. And then that leads to the third issue that we have, which is that cops in Colorado would love to be able to enforce the law, but they can't because of the policies that the folks down at the state Capitol and the folks the.
Speaker 10: Progressive Dems in Congress have passed.
Speaker 9: In Colorado, right now, it is illegal for a police officer to pick up the phone and call Immigration and Customs and say, hey, we got somebody in our communities causing problems, who's here illegally.
Speaker 10: Come to port this individual. That phone call is illegal to make.
Speaker 9: It became illegal in twenty nineteen, and my Democrat opponent voted for that piece of legislation. We've got to secure the border, we've got to empower our state and local law enforcement, and we've got to get rid of these defund the police, pro crime policies that the progressive left, to include my opponent, has championed.
Speaker 4: You know, some in Congress have said, look, we're even and I believe, and I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I believe I've heard Lauren Voebert support this notion which is defunding sanctuary cities, defunding sanctuary states. Would that be something that you would support as a threat in order to rescind these laws that you're talking about right now, kind of force the hand of Colorado lawmakers, because we've just seen that when threatened with something like two ballot initiatives on property taxes, they can be brought to heal just a little bit, right, Is that something you would support?
Speaker 9: So I swore three oaths to uphold and defend the United States Constitution, US Army, Colorado Army, and National Garden.
Speaker 10: As an our Battle police officer had.
Speaker 9: Deployed to combat zone for the better part of a year to uphold and defend the US Constitution, which barely clearly states that the US Constitution, and all federal laws made in accordance thereof are the supreme law of the land. So yeah, absolutely, when you have states like Colorado that blatantly ignore what the federal government is doing when they're trying to secure the border, and when we have folks like immigration and Customs and the Border Patrol, and the State of Colorado comes along and says, nah, we're not going to even let our state and local.
Speaker 10: Law enforcement officers work with their federal counterparts.
Speaker 9: That's a major problem, and that's something that we need to address at the congressional level as part of the broader conversation about how do we secure the border, how do we make sure folks like my grandfather, you know, who earned his citizenship in World War Two with two purple hearts, who wanted to be a part of the American dream.
Speaker 10: How do we make sure that we keep the.
Speaker 9: Bad folks out and that we continue to be that shining city on a hill for those folks who legally want to come here be a part of the American dream. And how do we make sure that those laws are being enforced and respected by states?
Speaker 10: Colorado's not doing it.
Speaker 9: They're a plaitant sanctuary state, and that's a big part of the problem.
Speaker 4: So let's shift gears just a little bit and talk about cost of living. Because cost of living has some national components to it, it also has some local components to it in terms of you know, housing and things of that nature. What do you see your role in Congress as how do you rein in the cost of living as a member of Congress.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the first thing with the cost of living is just understanding the broader impacts, you know, the things that have an impact on our economy. I'm sure we'll talk about this here in a minute, but we've brokened a pretty historic agreement with the Libertarian Party here in Colorado, and one of the things that they talk about a lot is the fact that are literally our money supply, Right, This is when we talk about inflation.
Speaker 10: That's the money supply.
Speaker 9: The money supply is controlled by things like the Federal Reserve, and we don't have a good understanding at the congressional level of how the Federal Reserve is doing some of its internal business. We need to have policies like auditing the Fed, but we also need to make sure that we're.
Speaker 10: Taking the handcuffs off of our economy. And so that's things like here in the eighth Congressional District energy agriculture.
Speaker 9: The eighth Congressional District has the fourth highest energy producing county in the nation.
Speaker 10: It has the eighth highest agricultural producing county in the nation in the north. And then the southern part of the district is.
Speaker 9: The commerce, the transportation, the road networks, the truckers that are actually taking these raw materials, turning it into a usable good and distributing across the rest of Colorado.
Speaker 10: It is a multi billion dollar driver for the region.
Speaker 9: But as we all know, when energy gets more expensive because of the laps of war on American energy, when agriculture gets more expensive because you know, and this isn't me, this is some of the farmers in the region that I've talked to that said that my Democrat opponent ass to the single most damaging bill in a decade or Colorado agriculture. Guess what that drives up the cost of agriculture. All of these costs are passed on to consumers.
Speaker 10: So to get the cost of living under control, we.
Speaker 9: Also need to make sure that we're focused on things like taking the handcuffs, the red tape of the bureaucracy of our economy, producing American energy, producing American agriculture, and then allowing our transportation networks to be able to actually process and get that stuff to market. When you can do that cheaper and more efficient by cutting red tape, that drives costs down for Americans, that empowers our economy. That's how we make Colorado in the eighth Congressional District in an affordable place.
Speaker 10: Those are the things that I support. My opponent, as we said, she's voted against all of those things. She's a pro big government, pro red tape democrat, you know, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things that has not really come to the United States yet, but I do worry about on a consistent basis when it comes to agriculture. We've seen this attack in Europe on nitrogen based fertilizers. We've seen farmers in certain parts of Europe being told that they can only plant a certain number of crops, which is so counterintuitive too, when you have to feed people, To tell farmers that they can't use the products that help food grow. How, I mean, what do you think about that kind of stuff? Because I think that's all part of the green New deal as well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, my opponent is one hundred percent bought into the Green New Deal.
Speaker 9: She costs this district billions of dollars in the energy sector. Energy and agriculture go hand in hand. When diesel goes up, agriculture becomes more expensive and you pay more for that at the store. So she's cost this district billions and energy, and exactly what you described is what she's done to agriculture. When you have government bureaucrats with no background in agriculture who are then micromanaging how Armors and ranchers literally the original stewards of the environment, because.
Speaker 10: If they don't take care of their soil, if they don't take care of.
Speaker 9: The environment, if we don't have clean air and we don't have clean water, guess what else, You can't grow your crops as efficiently as if we did take care of the environment.
Speaker 10: Farmers and ranchers are the original stewards of our land, our water, our air.
Speaker 9: It's in their best economic interests to take good care of those things, and that means we need to allow them the flexibility to be able to make those decisions, to be able to leverage emerging technologies, emerging trends, and when you have folks that, as you said, are micromanaging what they can and can't do, that has an incredibly negative impact not just on the cost of producing these goods.
Speaker 10: But it has a negative impact on the economy.
Speaker 9: Excuse me, it has a negative impact on the economy, but it has a negative impact on the environment as well.
Speaker 4: So it sounds to me, Gabe, and you know you can correct me if I'm wrong. You sound very sort of data and results driven. And if that's the case, I have to ask you about ethanol subsidies because ethanol subsidies have distorted a marketplace under the guise of giving us better energy efficiency, of energy efficiency and things of that nature that have not proven to be to work out the way that they have worked out. But the farm lobby is very strong and they don't want to give up their ethanol subsidies. Where do you stand on that, if you have an opinion at all.
Speaker 10: I like things that work.
Speaker 9: You know, when I was flying a Blackhawk helicopter overseas in a combat zone, things get really really simple.
Speaker 10: If it works, do it. If it doesn't work, don't do it. Because that's a really, really dumb reason.
Speaker 9: To crash and explode a helicopter because you tried something that looked really good on paper but doesn't actually work in reality. And so that's where I stand on all of these you know, alternative forms of energy. If they work, let's do it absolutely.
Speaker 10: But if they don't work, if you have to continue to subsidize and subsidize and subsidize them, then that's not actually producing energy efficiency, that's not actually taking good care of our environment. I'll give you a precise example.
Speaker 9: Here in Colorado, we often hear about, you know, zero emission electric cars.
Speaker 10: Well, this isn't my data, this is the State of Colorado data.
Speaker 9: The electric grid in Colorado produces about fifty percent more carbon per megawatt of produced energy than just pure natural gas. So every time we're plugging something into the electrical grid you're in Colorado. Again, not my data, this is state data. Every time we plug something into the electrical grid in Colorado, it's actually producing fifty percent more carbon.
Speaker 10: For a unit of energy producer than if we just used natural gas.
Speaker 9: These are the conversations that we need to have to ensure that we're actually producing energy that were energy independent.
Speaker 10: And when we do those things, that actually work.
Speaker 9: We can reduce our carbon footprint by having more natural gas right here in Colorado.
Speaker 10: My opponent's opposed to it, she's voted against it.
Speaker 9: I support American energy because that actually lowers our carbon footprint.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm speaking with Gabe Evans. He's running in the eighth congressional district. And Gabe, not for nothing. If we really truly and we are one of the world's largest, if not the world's largest energy producer now, but if we truly unleash our enemy our energy economy, it also cuts the knees out of some of our geopolitical foes, right. It cuts the knees out from under Russia, It cuts the knees out from under Saudi Rape who is an ally, but I don't trust him. I'm going to be perfectly honest. And that's one of the things that we don't talk about enough, is that if we truly really exploited all of our energy options, we would be able to not only power our own economy, but also create big problems for Russia and for other bad actors around the world. Who's their entire economy is their oil economy. I mean, why don't we talk about that more?
Speaker 10: Oh, we need to talk about it more. And the big one that we've left out so far is China.
Speaker 9: China is making more and more stuff with dirty coal and with quite literally slave labor.
Speaker 10: So every time we're.
Speaker 9: Exporting jobs and energy production from the United States, it's going to places like China.
Speaker 10: That are producing it again in an inhumane, environmentally catastrophic manner. And so we need to talk about that. We need to talk about how if we truly.
Speaker 9: Want to take care of the environment, we've got to make sure that we're bringing jobs, that we're bringing production, that we're bringing energy back to the United States. Because here we produce it more efficiently than anywhere else in the world, we produce it more humanely than anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 10: And if we're truly.
Speaker 9: Concerned about global you know, the global carbon footprint, what we need to do is make sure that we're not sending things to China where they produce it with five ten times the amount of carbon that we could do it with here in the United States.
Speaker 10: And the absolute worst part about all of this is that pollution blows right back here to Colorado.
Speaker 9: We've got satellites we can track where this stuff goes again. State of Colorado data says that seventy percent of the air pollution in Colorado doesn't actually originate in Colorado. So when you have folks like my opponent that have blatantly voted numerous times against the American energy economy, they're not actually doing anything for the environment either.
Speaker 10: They're costing us jobs.
Speaker 9: But we're still reaping all of the pollution from places that produce it less.
Speaker 10: Efficiency and less responsibly, because it again, it blows right back here in Colorado.
Speaker 4: Your campaign, gab just got a really good shot in the arm when the libertarian candidate in the eighth Congressional district dropped out and has removed his name from the ballot and endorsed. You tell me about how that all came about.
Speaker 9: Well, it's what the American people want us to do. The American people want good government. They want responsible adults who can sit down, who can have a conversation, who can find and collaborate on the common ground.
Speaker 10: And then actually move things forward.
Speaker 9: You know, that's what I tell everybody. I've buried entirely too many friends in military and law enforcement. I've sworn three oaths up to and including my life, so I know those things that I will never compromise on because I literally put my life on the line and I buried friends who made the ultimate sacrifices stand for those things. I know those things I'll never compromise when I can collaborate with anybody, And that's what the Libertarian Party and I did.
Speaker 10: We sat down.
Speaker 9: Of course, there was the original pledge a couple of months ago. There were some things that we couldn't agree on, but we sat down, we have the conversation. We realized, look, we agree on about ninety percent of the stuff. So we drafted a pledge two point zero that we could both agree on, and that really does highlight those things that we care about, small limited government, making sure that we respect individual liberty, making sure that we're focused here on the United States critical things like securing our borders, and so.
Speaker 10: By sitting down, by having that conversation.
Speaker 9: Once again, what we've shown is that you know, I'm willing to work with anybody that's focused.
Speaker 10: On these issues.
Speaker 9: The Libertarians were fantastic partners in promoting our shared visions and ideals for things like small government, individual liberty, accountability for federal agencies like the Federal Reserve, and moving the ball forward, and so it truly is a you know, we talked about the phrase bipartisan all the time. This is really something now where I'm tripartisan. I've worked with the Libertarians, we've found that common ground. But as a state legislator, you know, I'm in the Mike super minority down at the state Capitol, nineteen Republicans to forty six Democrats in the state House, and I still got almost sixty percent of my bills passed because I'm able to work across the aisle there. That's what I'm focused on. How do we move the ball forward? How do we make sure that we're passing on to future generations the same American dream that my grandfather mia Ethel gave to me when he immigrated here to this country.
Speaker 4: You know, I think you have to use the language of today. You're polypolitical, that's what you are. You're not you engage with all political parties there, Gabe, I do want to ask you one question from our text line, because I think it's a question that a lot of people have and I bet you have a good answer for it. Hey, Mandy, please ask Gabe, what are we're going to start seeing commercials from him. I live in the eighth district. I've not seen a single one, but I see one from his opponent every five minutes, And I want to use that as a springboard to ask you about the challenges going on at the state party and how that has affected your campaign in terms of the support that you have gotten or not gotten from the state campaign. It just kind of give me a minute on that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So really two things there.
Speaker 9: Number one, Conservatives, we are the fiscally responsible party. And so as you yourself said kind of at the beginning, you know, after Labor Day is when folks start tuning in, and so I'm not going to waste my money on a bunch of campaigns in advertising before Labor Day.
Speaker 10: So don't worry. The ads will be here as you.
Speaker 8: Know, real quick.
Speaker 9: We're in like single digit days now, So the advertising for for the Gabe Evans campaign is going.
Speaker 10: To start your fast and furious.
Speaker 8: But the other part of this is.
Speaker 9: These things are expensive to be able to run a good team. The ad is close to a million dollars and so if anybody's listening to this wants to help you keep me on the air again, we have enough to get us on the air for quite a bit, but if anybody wants to help keep us on the air once we go on, elect Gaveevans dot com is the website to elect g A v e e v a ns dot com.
Speaker 10: You can go there learn more about me.
Speaker 9: There's a donate button there, and that's going to be a really critical part of making sure that we get our message out because folks are sick and tired of the high prices, the high crime, the stentanyl crisis, the border crisis that my Democrat opponent has voted lockstep with the Biden Harris regime on.
Speaker 4: Gave Evans is my guest, and when we talk about the dumpster fire that is the state party right now, I always say, find the candidates you like and give them money. And if you like what gave Us had to say today, take that money you might have donated to the state party and put it directly into his coffers so he can win the eighth congressional district. Gabe, I think your race is in highly winnable. I think you're the right candidate to win that race, and I look forward to talking to you after the election, if not before, to be able to congratulate you. On your victory. So let's let's do the assumed clothes on that one and and uh, we'll be in touch again before the election. I can assure you.
Speaker 10: Always great to be on with you, Mandy, Thanks so much.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 4: That is Gabe Evans, and I put a link on my blog to his website, so if you'd like to donate, and trust me, guys, these candidates are dealing with no support from the state party as it tries to sort itself out, so this is really important that you go ahead and donate directly to these candidates. If you like what you're hearing, we'll be right back, Mandy. I'm a Democrat because we just interviewed Gave Evans from the eighth congressional district race, and if you missed it, you can always go to our mandysblog dot com page look for latest posts and a Rod's going to put that podcast up. If you live in the eighth congressional district, I'd love you would share that podcast with people because I think that is an incredibly winnable race and I actually think Gave Evans is a fantastic candidate. I watched him for the first time at the Weld County Women's rumbles that they had, and he was debating Janet Joshi, who was the carpetbagger from the Springs that was backed by Dave Williams. And in that interview it became apparent to me very quickly that Gabe had a really good handle on the issues of the eighth Congressional District. And he wasn't just saying things because he thought they would rile up the crowd or be inflammatory. He's just very even keeled, has a good head on his shoulders, shares a lot of my same value systems. So I'm a big fan of Gabe Evans. And yes, I know I misspelled Gabe on the blog. I just didn't fix it yet. I put Gabe and that that was an auto correct. So I want to share this text message Mandy. I'm a Democrat, but I actually don't care for Caraveo too much and I'm considered voting for the guy. But I do have a couple of questions. Hopefully maybe you can ask him what is his stance on abortion too? How is he going to come back Donald Trump if he's the party of fiscal conservatism, Because Donald Trump led us to a gigantic deficit. That is an absolutely fair criticism. First, on the abortion issue, he has said he believes it is a state issue to be decided at the state level. He would be in favor personally of a ban on abortion for everyone except in cases of rape, incest, and the health of the mother. But he has essentially punted and said it's a state issue. We know in Colorado it is not going to be illegal. I don't know if it ever will. I can't imagine the kind of sea change it would have to happen here for abortion to be limited in any way, shape or form in Colorado. Because every time there's a ballot initiative, every time there is an opportunity for Colorado's to weigh in at the ballot or give their opinion through a vote, they have shot down any of restrictions on abortion. Which is why in Colorado it is legal to have an abortion up to the day of birth. And for all of you who are reaching for the text line to tell me I'm wrong, it is not wrong. It happens here. And there is a doctor in Boulder who specializes, I guess, in late term abortions, and even on their website it says mostly women do this because of a health issue. Mostly got to pay attention to those qualifiers, so he does not favor a federal abortion ban. I will say that let's talk about the deficit buster for a second, because the deficit buster is an accurate, absolutely accurate accusation against Donald Trump. But it just pulled up some numbers that I want to share and to give you some perspective about why we have a thirty five thirty six trillion dollar debt now because of deficit spending. And I want to take you back to two thousand and nine. Now we all know what happened to two thousand and eight. The market absolutely crashed. We had a devastating great recession. It was terrible, and the government's response was to print a whole bunch of money and eventually set the table for the inflation that we've had over the last couple of years. Because inflation doesn't happen overnight. Although historically, and this is accurate, I have looked it up and confirmed that what I'm about to say is true every period of and I don't ways say hyper inflation because we didn't have hyperinflation. Hyper Inflation is when prices are going up one hundred percent every day. We just had a period of steep inflation. It is always preceded by a flood of the money supply, and that's exactly what the Federal Reserve did during COVID. They wanted the federal government to be able to continue to spend like drunken monkeys, which they did, and not have to pay the pipers. So they dropped interest rates to darnaar zero and they kept printing money so the federal government could spend it. That was the whole thing. But let's go back to two thousand and nine. Deficit spending in two thousand and nine was one point four trillion dollars, twenty ten, one point twenty nine trillion dollars, twenty eleven, one point three trillion dollars, twenty twelve, one point oh seven seven trillion dollars. And then in twenty thirteen we started to get interact together a little bit, and we dropped down to just six hundred and eighty billion dollars twenty fourteen, four eighty five, and these are billions four forty two and twenty fifteen. We're starting to make progress. Twenty sixteen, Donald Trump gets elected, the deficit was five hundred and eighty five billion dollars twenty seventeen up to six sixty five, twenty eighteen, up to seven seventy nine, twenty nineteen, up to nine eighty four. Now I felt somewhat vindicated in this because I was the one that told everybody in this listening audience that Donald Trump was not going to do anything about the deficit. And people told me I was crazy. Donald Trump was going to fix that too. He did not fix that too. And that takes us to twenty twenty COVID COVID spending three point one three to two trillion dollars in one year in spending, and twenty twenty one was even not even worse, but certainly not better, two point seven to seven trillion dollars in deficit spending, twenty twenty two to one point three in deficit spending. And if you remember, there was, you know, a midterm and deficit spending in twenty twenty three one point six trillion dollars. Both Donald Trump and Joe Biden suck on the deficit. Suck. They're a huge part of why we have these massive deficits. But they're not the only ones. Everyone in Congress is responsible for these deficits. And by the way, these deficits, they're not made up money, they're our money. Deficits have to be paid back in a few ways. Number One, you can raise taxes, that's how you pay off the debt. Or you can print more money, which causes inflation, which is a tax on the American people as well. And you can also cut spending, which obviously Washington has no desire to do so. Trump exploded the deficit during COVID, but the Biden administration has been very slow to bring it down. No one is good and Kamala Harris is out there running around talking about how she is going to give up certain first time home buyers twenty five thousand dollars, which is going to inflate the housing market even more. She's talking about all these giveaway programs she's trying to buy votes. She is an absolute disaster on the debt and deficit, and Donald Trump is not much better. The whole tariff thing that he's talking about is just a dumb idea. It's pretty much failed every time it's try. But yet here we are again trying to figure out a way to bring back the manufacturing jobs to the United States instead of trying to help people pivot to the service spased economy that we have right now. I would love to have more manufacturing jobs. I would love it. I think it would be amazing because manufacturing jobs are a ladder to the middle class for people. But the reality is is I don't think they're coming back. It's too expensive to produce things here. The regulatory structure, minimum wages, things of that nature. It just makes it hard to compete with China, which pays people nothing and doesn't worry about environmental concerns. They don't care. So I'd love to tell you that Donald Trump is going to be amazing on the deficit. I don't think he will be. But all that being said, I do know people that are on Trump's economic advisory team, and they Steve Moore being one of them. He's a major deficit hawk. So if there's a chance that someone's going to get through to either one of these candidates, the advisors around Kamala Harris suck and the advisors around Donald Trump on the economy are much better on these things. So if you're gonna throw a dart board, you know, throw a dart against the dart board and shooes, which one's going to be better. You have to look at the whole picture. And there's nothing, not one single thing in the Kamala Harris economic Plan that says we're going to do anything about the deficit. Nothing. So I don't trust either of them. I wish I had better news. I wish I could forcefully make the case that Donald Trump was going to be a deficit hawk and do something about the debt, because guys, we're headed for a debt crisis. We're headed for the kind of crisis that makes us no longer the world's reserve currency. We're headed for the crisis that ends our reign as the world's leader when it comes to finances and economics. And it's going to be very very ugly when it happens, and it's only getting worse. And the American people don't care because they're too stupid to know what it looks like when all of this debt crisis actually happens, because they've been so poorly educated about economics and the effects that they think. Some of these young people think socialism is the way to go. It's almost like they didn't see all of the ways that socialism has failed. And before anybody writes to me about the Nordic countries, if you want to have a high services government like they have in the Nordic countries, then get ready to open your wallet, not rich people's wallets, because if you look at the tax structure in those high service, high tax Nordic countries, everybody pays. Everybody pays twenty percent of their income. Everybody pays at least twenty percent of their income. Some of the tax burdens are over fifty five percent. So if you want to if you want to high services like that, then you got to pay for it, because there's not enough rich people in the world to pay all of those taxes, all of those prices for all of those people. Melatonin. No, I have no problem sleeping. Oh okay, that's good. That's because you're young. I enjoy it while you can. Okay, every morning when you wake up well arrested, I want you to just say, you know what, God, thank you for that. I know you're going to strip it away from me as I get older, but you know, thanks for that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Well, I have news and this is actually oh dag nabbit. I didn't put the link on this story crap anyway, I know what it says. So studies have shown that melatonin is not a good answer for long term sleep disorders because melatonin is has been used somewhat successfully if you travel a lot and you need to reset your circadian rhythms when you get back, or you get to wherever you're going and you want to jump into their times or jump back into your own time zone. But there's been no long term studies that have shown that it's been helpful for sleep issues in the long term. I've known this for years because everybody's like, when I say I don't sleep well, I'm actually sleeping better now. The Soda Weight Lost plan not only helped me lose weight, but it helped me understand that there are certain things I cannot eat at night and go to sleep. It's just not I got to eat early, which I started with my vocal cord issues. I try to be done eating by life. And then it taught me a lot about what to eat to be able to sleep. So now I'm sleeping better than I have in a really long time. But I've tried melatonin, and it's not a good answer for long term sleep disorders. But the article which I will go back and find because it was actually very interesting. Talked about the fact that a vast majority of Americans we're not sleeping well. And then a Rod sends me this video today on the show or this morning rather about a nightly routine that can change your life. And it's very simple things, and it's amazing how many of us in our society we always look for a pharmacological solution first, and the pharmacological solutions are not perfect. Now on occasion, I have used ambient in the past. Chuck was a long time ambient user until it made him into a horrible person, horrible version of himself. And I finally was like, you have to stop taking this because you're becoming a horrible person. And he was thankfully wise enough to recognize that I'm not just saying that to be mean. But then I found out that's very common with Zambian if you take it too long. But then, how many of us are doing the things on a daily basis? And if you've listened to the show for a long time, I want you to hear what I'm about to say in Michelle's Oehner's voice. How many of us are doing the things that we need to do every single day to be a happy, healthy human. Are you getting exercise, are you going outside? Are you spending time with friends and family? Are you feeding your body nutritious foods? Are you setting yourself up for success? For sleeping at night? If you're on your phone until eleven o'clock and then you put your phone down and you're like, oh, I can't sleep, well, you can't sleep because you just had the entire world in your hand. And Aaron had sent me this video, and I was like, these five little things really would make a difference, just from disc connecting from the phone early enough and reading a book. I know some people say I don't really like to read. Great even better, you'll only have to read for a few minutes before you fall asleep. Set your plan for tomorrow. I do this every night. I look at my calendar for the next day, kind of have my mental order of the way things are going to go. And these little things just setting yourself up for success. It's all about that. It's all about having a great bed. Go to NMAX for that. I think we solve that problem a long time ago. So when we get back in the next hour at pray there's coming on you, guys. The real estate market is very interesting right now. We have a lot of buyers sitting on the sidelines in what I call ready set mode, ready set, ready set, ready set, and they're just waiting for a rate drop, which I and I'm not usually like, I'm certain about this. I feel very good based on the labor number adjustment down. They took away a million jobs roughly that they had said had been created, which we're not so that. And inflation is it's manageable now. It's like two point I don't know, two point seven percent whatever, not the two percent that the Fed wants, but it's much lower than it was a few years ago. So I think we're gonna get a rate cut in September and maybe another one in December. So we're gonna talk to Ed Pratherer at two thirty about what to expect. If you've been thinking about selling, you're ready to go. We'll be talking about the best time to put that home on the market when we get back. I want to give a big shout out to Gwyneth Paltrow. Yeah, that Gwyneth Paltrow, And you're not gonna believe what for I'm doing that. Next.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 8: And donall.
Speaker 2: On Klama, got Nicety stood fray by Connell.
Speaker 4: Sad Babe. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the third hour of the show. I'm your host, Mandy Connell. And that, of course is a rod You can call him Anthony Rodriguez. No airhorn for that, none, But it's a one time thing, um dog double check it. Oh my god, you totally want to bug people.
Speaker 5: No, I would absolutely, positively never do multiple air horns. Everyone.
Speaker 4: There you go, there you go. So I want to talk about Gwyneth Paltrow today because you guys know I always talk about Hollywood. That's a lie. I don't always, But Gwyneth Paltrow. Our friend Christian Toto at Hollywood intoto dot com wrote a really good column called Gwyneth Paltrow on hamas where are the Feminists Now? We got news this past weekend that six hostages who had survived almost a year in captivity. One one of them, heirsh Goldberg poland his parents, just appeared at the Democratic National Convention. He lost part of his arm in the initial attack on October seventh, but had been seen fairly recently, I guess, and they knew he was alive. Hammas, when they were faced with the idf coming through the tunnel that they were holding these people in, apparently brutally murdered them just before Israel was able to rescue them in what is absolutely yet another war crime committed by Hamas. Now, of course, the world's reaction, including our idiot president Joe Biden, was well, Israel's not dooming enough to get the hostages back, not hey, what a war crime by Hamas, or hey, it's been Hamas who's turned down all of the ceasefire deals that had been offered, even the ones that Israel a great too.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 4: Gwyneth Paltrow went to Instagram and she posted the following. She said, to the families of each hostage whose life was stolen, I have thought of you every day for eleven months, but today I send you my heart. There are still seventeen women being held by Hamas. Where are the feminists? She added the hashtag hashtag rape is not resistance. The silence from Hollywood and the feminist community on this has been deafening. The same women who ran around and told us that we had to believe all women, no matter how ridiculous their stories were. And I'm talking about Christine GLASI Ford there on that one. We had to believe all women. And boy howdy, they were ready to support women who came out after Harvey Weinstein with a like a pack of wild animals. Not to say he didn't deserve it, but they were united in their condemnation of that. And yet we know, we absolutely know, because Harmas live streamed the rapes of women on October seventh. We know that women were raped, and yet Hollywood has been very, very very quiet. So I guess we're supposed to be believe all women unless they're raped by organizations that are anti Israel, in which case, go for it.
Speaker 9: Just go for it.
Speaker 4: Even the Babylon Bee Christian points out beautifully. Even the Babylon Bee jumped on this by tweeting out a photo of Bill Cosby wearing a Hamas headband, and it says Bill Cosby joins Hamas so feminists will stop condemning him for rape. He likes that when it's a little too close to home. By the way, there are there are women in Hollywood that have been sounding the alarm. Deborah Messing who is Jewish, Galgado who is Israeli. They've been out there screaming about this stuff for a very long time. And it's a very good question. It's a good column. It's very short. You can read it at the blog or at Hollywood intoto dot com. But that's not the only feminist story we got on the blog today. We have a couple of things about feminism today on the blog, and one of them, I guess that's not really about feminism. But I will share this story very very quickly because it's bothered me since I saw it a couple of days ago, or yesterday maybe. The Douglas County Sheriff's office over the Labor Day weekend, they were doing increased enforcement. They were pulling over people for drunk driving, and they shared the story of a woman. Friday afternoon, at three pm, deputies responded to a call about a vehicle weaving erratically before crashing. The driver reportedly attempted to leave the scene by ramming the victim's car to push it out of the way. Turns out that this driver was a forty year old mom from Castle Pine, so you know how we know she's a mom because her two children we're in the back seat. And I'm not going to name her here, although the Castle Rock Police Department did name her, because I'm not trying to shame this woman. I'm trying to make a bigger point, and it's an important point that has been bothering me for a really, really long time. At three pm on a Friday, this woman's preliminary breath test showed a blood alcohol content of point three three four in her car, a full bottle of wine, five open alcoholic beverage containers, and two young children in the backseat. This story is so horrifying to me, but in my mind, this is the natural outcome of mommy wine culture in the United States of America. And maybe wine's not your thing. Maybe you're a bourbon gow, maybe you're a whiskey goal, maybe you're a beer gal, or maybe you're a dad who's driving around with your children in your back seat while you're wasted. But I want to talk about women right now, because women have now caught up to men almost in the category of people dying from alcoholism related diseases, and it's very frustrating for me. When I go to a gift shop or I go to a women's section because I'm trying to buy a gift for my friends, and everything says it's wine o'clock sometime, or I drink because of you. Yeah, Mommy drinks because of you. That was one of my least favorite T shirts I've ever seen. And don't get me wrong, I have, you know, lived through a portion of my life where alcohol was a big part of it. But when I decided to have a child, I decided it was time to make different choices. And luckily, I've never struggled with addiction of any kind. I've never been in that situation, so I don't want to downplay how challenging it is to get to overcome an addiction. But the thing is, I know so many women and men who have overcome their addictions that I know it can be done. And I y'all, I said a prayer last night for this woman. I don't know her, I've never seen her before. I wouldn't know her if she walked up and slapped me in the face. I said a prayer last night that God would tell her that this was her wake up call because her children were in the back seat and she's driving them around wasted at three o'clock in the afternoon on a Friday. Please, like I, if you know her, please get her help support her in her sobriety because she's going to die and she may take somebody out with her. Right if she's going to drive this drunk with her kids in the car, she probably thought she was just buzzed. I'm just a little buzzed. It's fine. People die at point four blood alcohol content. She was at point three three four with their kids in the car. Think about this stuff, you guys. Your kids deserve you at your best. And ask anyone who grew up the child of an alcoholic, and they will let you know you are not at your best. If you're suffering through that, there's so much help out there. Just get it, accept it, and move on with your life. We now know there is going to be a butt load of ballot initiatives to consider this year fourteen. And that's just for the state. We're going to have about ten more in Denver alone. Now I've already started working on my voter guide of I'm doing it this year because there's so much stuff to vote on, and I know that many of you don't have the time to dig through this stuff on your own, so it will definitely be a big voter guide that should be out in the next couple of weeks because realistically, you guys, ballots drop very very shortly beginning of October, so we're a month away from ballots drop. This is why I am concerned about the Harris Walls campaign being able to stay out of the public eye long enough to continue pulling the wall over the eyes of the voters and really showing them what they're about. Interesting stuff going on there. We'll see if that strategy actually works. So that's on the blog today with a list of kind of what you can look at if you want to start investigating yourself. There's a column today, you guys, I just am so sick of this because I'm pretty sure that this exact same thing was said in twenty twenty, the headline if Republicans want to win, they need Trump to lose big to dominate the country once more. Republicans need to hasten the move to a post Trump party. Well, that didn't work in twenty twenty, did it. Don't get me wrong, I'd be you guys. I don't need to repeat how I feel. You know, I would love to be able to vote for any other Republican candidate at this point, but it's he's the candidate. So what am I gonna do. I'm not sure he'd go away if he lost again. I mean, granted, he's going to be super old in four years, but I don't know if that would stop him. So there's a whole column about why it would be better for Republicans, and Trump lost and lost handily. I guess that's supposed to encourage Republicans to not vote or something. I honestly couldn't get through the whole column, and I put it there just so I wouldn't be the only one who saw it. So there you go. If you are curious at all about the this is kind of like a two minute drill right now, with a little longer conversations than I normally do. If you're curious about the Redo of Casabanita, are you going to see this movie by Trey Stone and Matt Parker. You're gonna go see it a rod because I think I am the movie. Yeah, Casabanita, Mia Moore. It is a movie about the Redo of Casabanita, and it's a whole documentary and I'm playing at the Alamo Draft House this weekend. I don't know if it's going to have a long run or if it's just like this weekend, but I want to see it. I think it's interesting to me. If it's just this weekend, can't do that. But well, you got what you How are you working this weekend? What are you work? You're working everything every day, every hour. Well that's.
Speaker 5: Because you're anthety a little kbp I action this weekend really all kinds of craziness.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Yeah, excellent, indeed, So that is going to be out very shortly, and trying to find out. I don't know if it's an extended run or not. I'll find out from the Alamo Draft House. You like the Alamo Draft House? You ever been there?
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 5: I'm literally losing my mind between difference between the Alamo Draft House and that's where they show, that's where the people walk through with the food, right they bring you home like during the entirety of the movie E.
Speaker 4: Done, it's different before the movie starts, it reminds me of this place in Orlando that during my lost decade of my twenties, there was a and it's probably still there. The Enzeon Theater in winter Park, small theater only had two screens and they still allowed smoking. And this was like, you know, in the early nineties, and my friends and I all smoked at the time, so we would sit in the back like the bad kids on the bus and smoke and drink and eat food. It was glorious, absolutely glorious. I like the Alamo Draft House. I think they do a good job for what it is. My problem is is their chairs are too comfortable, and if I'm going to fall asleep watching a movie, It's going to be in the comfort of my own home. Okay, I'm not going to pay to go fall asleep in You're a movie theater. I remember the food being pretty dang good. The food was very good last time I was there. I haven't been there in a while. We just we never started going back to the movies after COVID. You know, when the boys were young and now they're in their early thirties. When the boys were young, the movies were what we did as a family, right. We went to the movies. We saw all the movies, and.
Speaker 5: We just haven't done that with Q We do the movies pretty often. I would say, yeah, on average, maybe once a month. There's just not a lot of movies that I want to see. And that's all the superhero movies.
Speaker 4: All the time. We go see those we go see and the superhero movies I enjoy. Except you know, Deadpool wasn't for me. No, just not for me. Oh you did see it. I saw the first twenty five minutes of the first one and was like, yep, I'm not in the demo for this. Oh yeah, and the third one is the most and the most obnoxious. I'm not I'm not, I'm not down. It's just not It's not for me. So yeah, but but I you know, maybe we should start going. But here's the thing, Like I just watched the other day the News and daya movie, uh Challengers, the tennis movie. Yeah, it was not good. And I love Zundeia. I think she's very, very talented and I really like her. I love hers, MJ and Spider Man. This movie was just awful. You know, when you when you can't like anybody in the movie because all the characters are so unlikable, You're like, why why don't have a movie about all of these unlikable characters. It's just ugh, why do I want to? Although have I told you you need to watch Tulsa King on Paramount? No, you're busy, You're busy telling me about real steel. Sylvester. Oh, of course, was just such a great movie, Sylvester Salone. It's Tulsa King was created by Taylor Sheridan, who did Yellowstone. And I'm not a huge Slice Salone fan, but he is so good in this series.
Speaker 5: So you're barking up the wrong tree because we've tried Yellowstone a couple times.
Speaker 4: We did too, and I never watched the whole thing, and do it. This is really good. It's about Slice Salone being a mobster who gets out of prison after a twenty five year stretch and basically gets excommunicated by the mob to Tulsa to create a criminal organization in Tulsa. It is wildly entertaining. There are some really dark humor jokes in there that I burst out laughing. So Tulsa King Market, it's on Paramount. When we get back, let's talk to my realtor, Ed Praiser. Well, how is the market going? If you've been sitting on your house waiting to sell we're going to tell you when that right time might be. We're going to do that next. What is happening in the real estate market? I decided to check with my realtor, Ed Praether because he knows what's going on. Good afternoon, I must say, good morning.
Speaker 8: Ed Hi, ed hie many, thank you for having me, well, thanks.
Speaker 4: For coming on, because you and I had a chat yesterday and the market is I'm just going to use the word weird right now. Is that a fair assessment because things are sort of like everybody's stuck on ready set, ready set, ready set, waiting for rates to drop. So right now, let's talk about the state of the real estate market as it is. There's some good news in terms of availability.
Speaker 8: Well, I think you're right on. You know, we've used the word weird, strange, you know, somewhat volatile, and that's because you know, we've been talking about looking at hoping for the fit to make cuts. We see that happening sooner than later, but the cuts aren't here yet. And so just like you said, we're sort of we're all waiting for these and of course we have sort of these golden handcuffs. As far as you know, a lot of sellers, even with the need to sell, have a hard time letting that three percent mortgage go. You know, the FED men. At the end of July, we've seen a lot of activity though, So you know what I mean by that is is more mortgage applications. You know, as we foresee and expect a soft landing is going to be the reality or hopefully is the reality, as well as showings and even offers. But I'll tell you it is really specific to property in micro market, meaning kind of the neighborhood. You know, is you got to be real careful because if you're not positioned well, if you're not priced well, the home could easily sit.
Speaker 4: And let's talk about pricing as a part of this, because you just mentioned the golden handcuffs, so the mortgage rates. But it seems that people who's neighbor and I'm just going to use a round number, maybe your neighbors were sold home for seven hundred thousand dollars two years ago. Your home may not be getting seven hundred thousand dollars right now, but the sellers are not ready to make those sort of price adjustments.
Speaker 8: Well, you're right on, and it's like we spoke about yesterday. You know, I think the word that comes to mind when I when we talk about pricing is resilience in the metro area. You know, we saw we're going to have our August data here within a day or two, so certainly I'll fill you in. But you know, between June and July, we saw the medium close price basically hold steady. And when we see the amount of active inventory, you'll peak above that ten thousand units that we haven't seen in gosh ten years. But pricing to stay steady and where it's at, it's it's incredible. And I think, you know, just like you had said, what we're seeing is, you know, sellers are not willing to make those those price decreases to force the sale. And and because of that, I think in many cases you have folks that want to sell but may not need to sell.
Speaker 4: Right As a realtor, I think that's got to be a nightmare when you go and talk to a potential client and they're like, you know, we just want to put it on the martgage and see what's going to happen. As someone who's trying to make a sale, that's got to be like, eh, not your favorite customer to have.
Speaker 8: Everybody's different, and we absolutely understand that, and I think what we want is we understand you've been to this mandate that bringing a house to market doesn't just happen, and the last thing we're going to do is present a home if it's not ready to be presented, and shoot, with each situation being different, It's okay if we're in the range of, hey, here's what we suspect the market will bear, it's one thing. It's another thing if a seller doesn't want to put the time in and is trying to be opportunistic and hit a price that just isn't realistic. And we're not doing anybody any any service by taking something like that on and having someone go through the thrashing around and on market, having showings, having if we're far off from day one right on what that pricing is and what the reality is going to be.
Speaker 4: So are you finding with the people that you're meeting with? What are there? And I'm sure there's a million different but I'd love to know kind of a general feel. Why are people looking to sell? Are they looking to downsize, are they looking to upsize? Are they moving? What are you hearing from the people that are in the market to sell their homes.
Speaker 8: It's a great question, and just like you said, you know, every there's so many different reasons. You know, we see a lot of folks that are leaving the state, and you know, sometimes it's gosh, we hear things like traffic, We hear things around the cost of living. You know, we have a lot of folks moving to the south. We hear the Carolinas a lot, and frankly, you know, we have seen just the cost of things go up across the board. And so you know, although many folks don't need to sell, we see a lot of folks that want to just to make it a little bit more bearable. And maybe those are folks that have a long standing mortgage that is, you know, not the sixth or the seven that we've seen as of recent and sometimes it is sort of in the last eighteen months or the last two years they've purchased the home and kind of realized that, hey, this equation doesn't work. I think the majority of the time we see folks downsizing, but it really does. It varies across the board.
Speaker 4: So if you're talking to someone who's kind of one of those people saying, look, you know, we're trying to decide whether we're going to list right now. We're expecting and I'm trying to not be overly confident, but I expect the FED to drop the interest rates at least twenty five basis points, which is basically a quarter of a percent in September. Is Do you feel the same way, and if so, is that going to unleash buyers who are able to say, look, okay, you know what it's it's not two percent but five Maybe low sixes is a manageable thing, because I've seen mortgages in the low six is now.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and we're seeing stuff quoted in the high fives right now. Okay, there's sort of this unspoken rule, and we've heard it again and again, especially lately, that you know, we need to see rates in the mid five for people to really want to make that jump board to let go of that three percent mortgage. So you know, we're watching really closely. But I do expect that activity will continue to increase, and we've seen it since the end of July, you know, quite frankly, and with that, you are certainly in correlation to those mortgage rates going down. You know, the narrative and understanding when we look at the cuts that we expect is that to some extent, it's already baked into the rate. You know that that those cuts we're all looking at and expecting the same thing that September, you know, twenty five basis points, maybe fifty basis points. But I think the reality is is that we're going to see a big jump in activity as people become more optimistic about the future.
Speaker 10: You're right.
Speaker 8: I talked yesterday about you know, it's not just the rate itself, it's the news around the rate. It's the news around the future and the economy and having optimism about you know, hey, maybe this is still a little bit high now, but it can work and in the future it's going to be lower. And it looks to me and we expect that that is going to be the case, and hopefully that starts in just a couple of weeks when the dead needs.
Speaker 4: You started this conversation by talking about, you know, neighborhood specific Some neighborhoods are selling faster than others. But if you've got money that you'd like to invest in real estate, are there any deals right now? Are people sitting on those prices waiting for them to come down.
Speaker 8: I would say that there are always deals. The deals come up when it's very specific to that seller. So it's hard for me to say that in one area there's more deals than another area because someone that you know, we deal with folks in certain cases that have to get to family in another state very quickly, and of course with a fdicial duty, it is our job, it is our responsibility to get them the very most. But if they don't want to bring it to market, you know, that may be, you know, create an opportunity for a buyer and someone who who potentially has the ability to take care of some of those repairs that certain sellers don't want to mess with, or bringing to market, and or even bringing it to market at all. We have a lot of folks that just say, hey, you know, we need to do this quickly. You know, do you have somebody that might be interested in And of course, like you and I have time, We've got a big database, so you know, most of the time we can get that done at a price that makes sense for everybody.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to ask you about the buyers that you're seeing. Are these first time home buyers, because I feel like there are a lot of i'll call them middle millennials who are ready to buy a hole right and they've maybe been sitting out waiting for those lower mortgage rates. What do you seeing on the buy side who is out there shopping.
Speaker 8: We do see a lot of first time home buyers, and I think, you know, first time home buyers want to want to own a home because the concept of owning a home has been something that they're you know, part of their goals. They're part of something that they have set forth in what they want for their lives, and they're less concerned about, you know, some of the complexities and implications. I think that maybe some of us, like you and I many kind of overthink, yeah, we're trying to guess what's going to happen here and there. I mean, you know, frankly speaking, we believe fully, you know that in the next few quarters you're going to see rates come down, and so, you know, we've seen first time home buyers be pretty active, gosh over the last couple of years, because we remember what it was like in twenty twenty one. You could not you couldn't get an offer accept and especially as a home, first time home buyer, when you don't have a big down payment, it's even so we are seeing a lot of opportunistic folks take advantage. And you know, those people so far have done quite well because they are taking action when when some of us are overthinking things.
Speaker 4: Right, sometimes making a decision is better than waffling about a decision, especially when I actually think ed and you and I talked about this yesterday. I think when we have the first rate cut, the market heats up. If there is another rate cut in December, which that's it's more debatable than the rate cut that I'm pretty certain is going to happen in September. But if that rate cut happens in December, then it becomes a feeding frenzy and and that's when it becomes again a seller's market. And if you're sitting on the sidelines now as a potential buyer, I think you're missing opportunities that are out there right this second. Because what do they say, ed, you date the rate, you marry the house, right, you don't have to worry about marrying the rate the rate you can reach later. So I've just been telling like young people that I know have been sitting on the sidelines. I'm like, I would really look right now because you don't want to be in it when everybody else is in it. You want to be in it before everybody.
Speaker 8: Else is in it. And I think you're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you want to buy or sell, it's time to call Ed pray Or He and his team are the absolute best. Ed give everybody your phone number.
Speaker 8: Uh seven two oh six five nine four nine five nine, excuse me, seven to sixty five oh four nine five nine. You know we are here to inform, you know, in a big part of this man you said, some folks are considering selling maybe is it now? Is it in the future? And on the same side is buying if nothing else? You know, we are really focused and really committed and just empowering our folks of information, you know, so they can make an educated choice for themselves. And I'll tell you what. As a buyer right now, you know, you've got to be disimprinted in what's a fit because there's great opportunities and you don't need to bend over backwards. And it's been a long time since we have been able to say that. So if your discipline, you've got more inventory than you used to, and I think it's a great time to start the process.
Speaker 4: Well, I do know that you know, I'm on reeltor dot com all the time, and like really, for someone who's not actively in the market, I know way more about what houses are sitting and where than I should, Okay, And I do know that there are especially if you're a first time home buyer looking to get into the condo market, now is the time to get into the condo market because there's a lot of condos on the listing sites right now, so there are opportunities. And Ed would be the guy I would always recommend Edprather dot com, Ed p R A T H e R dot com. And I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: He always a.
Speaker 8: Pleasure to be on. Thank you so much, manmy, and just let us know how we can help.
Speaker 4: I sure will, thanks Ed. He is Uh, he's just fantastic. And interesting times in the real estate market right now, very interesting, not bad, not great, interesting And what is the old curse? MAYE live in interesting times? Ryan Edwards? We do live in interesting times. Indeed, I thought of you, uh on Monday morning or when I was at Target, Okay, because I swung by the Starbucks to get my car. I just do regular coffee, then I don't do the fancy coffee. And a woman in front of me literally went.
Speaker 9: Just like this.
Speaker 4: She picked up her coffee with PSL, I missed you, And I was like, what is in that coffee cup? Is there crack? What is in it that makes it addictive? Yes? It is laced with heroin and all me a, why do you think we all drink Coca Cola to the day it started out with? Come on, you think that's a coincidence.
Speaker 12: I think in general, coffee and caffeine, right, yeah, coffee can represent, you know, sort of a source of happiness and and because it's only for a certain amount of time, there's a specialness to it, like like Starbucks could do this.
Speaker 4: Your scarcity is what you're talking about, garcity of it makes it special. You know what's funny about coffee culture in the United States versus coffee culture in Europe totally different. They're the only thing that connects them is they are both coffee related. But in Europe they don't have to go cups. You are not the only people that walk around Europe with a to go cup of coffee are Americans because they sit and they have their little cups, and they sit and enjoy their coffee and they have a conversation and then they get up and go about their day. It's funny.
Speaker 12: I have a limited Europe one time. But now that you bring it up, yeah I didn't. I didn't think about it at the time. But everywhere we went and got coffee, it was a we sit here and have coffee and have coffee.
Speaker 4: And I told Chuck the first three months of my retirement, I fully intend to spend in laws on Switzerland, on the shores of Lake Geneva, sitting and drinking little coffee out of little cups. Switzerland is so bod oh. It is probably my favorite place in the world other than the United States. Switzerland is number two. Can't wait to go back there in the summer. It's on my list of things to do. So I have to ask you a question about your show yesterday because a listener pointed out that Dave Logan was kind of giving you grief a little bit about.
Speaker 12: Losing out the day well deserved, and I was talking to Anthey about it. I mean, my brain locked up and it was one of those deals where I mean people can say they've been there or they won't. But for whatever reason, my brain on a Tuesday after a three day holiday weekend was just not not quite braining.
Speaker 4: But did Dave Logan say he could win of the day? Was that actually said? Because so pretty sure I'm going to drop the gauntlet right in front of mister Logan. Good luck with that, but.
Speaker 10: Go on trying that.
Speaker 12: But yeah, he did say something about that. I mean, he is his brain is pretty phenomenal resault.
Speaker 4: The thing that kills me about Dave Logan when I listen to your show is when he's like that game back in eighty seven. We were on the third and seven and there was a sweep to the right, and I'm like, what else is in there? It blows my mind.
Speaker 12: Brain man, makes it quite literally impossible to get into an argument about anything because I'm like, that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: And I already know as soon as I say that, you're going to come on, it definitely happened. Yeah, it's it's it's really remarkable think about. And this is what I imagine if David decided to cure cancer instead just saying just throwing that out.
Speaker 12: There, he and again the things he does already right now, but it just feels like because of his brain.
Speaker 4: You're right, he could be doing so much more.
Speaker 12: I say that lovingly because as it is, I don't know if the man ever sleeps because he has so much on his plate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's all self imposed. And don't feel too sorry for him. Don't cry for him, Argentina, because now it's time for the most exciting segment all the radio of it's kind in the world of the day. All right, what's our dada? Which letter keeps pirates calm?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: No, he because without it they are irate.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, that's actually again.
Speaker 4: I like that better than why they can't finish the alphabet? Why is that because they get lost? That's oh well, okay. I when is our word of the day?
Speaker 11: Please?
Speaker 5: It is an adjective adjective Byzantine Byzantine by z A N T I N E.
Speaker 4: Byzantine. Familiar with the word, and I don't think I can clearly define either. I got nothing something to do with the Byzantine Empire.
Speaker 5: No, something described as Byzantine is very complicated, secret and hard to Oh got it?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good. I don't think I ever knew that word meant until right now. Anyway, In geometry, what is an isaucles triangle? I've been thinking about this all day and I think I know it well. Isaucles? Isn't that the because because there's there's acute, which has a tiny angle at an angle, and then oblong is the wider angle. But that's not a triangle. Isn't it one of the two of the same size? Yeah, that's what I thought it was gonna get a triangle with two sides of equal links. There is the two angles opposite. The equal sides are also equal. There is, it's just even Stevens. There you go, all right? What is our jeopardy category? Another easy one for Ryan? Don't please God? It is episode. I'd rather be anything else. Episode. Every answer has E p I. Okay, there you go. There you go. A fast spreading outbreak of a disease. What's an epidemic?
Speaker 5: Correct a short section at the end of a book from the Greek for seizure. It's a medieval condition, his epilepsy.
Speaker 4: Ryan's on the board. A witty saying or expression and an epithet.
Speaker 10: No raw.
Speaker 5: Brian saying or expression is epigram. I would have gotten that so one, I just lost a point. The best example of something, best example of.
Speaker 9: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let's go to a tiebreaker. It is epitome. Epitome. Um, oh my, there's my Ryan. That's okay, epitome everyone.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's okay because I was an epi.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ryan, watch yourself. Let's go to.
Speaker 5: Play time. Okay, playtime. The French called this floor or table game.
Speaker 11: You know what.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not gonna I'm gonna do that one. Shoots and Ladders began as a hindoo game of these and ladders. Brian, Ryan, I knew that one too, some free and fast enough the epitome of success.
Speaker 12: You guys, you guys set this up so I feel a little better about myself.
Speaker 4: To look that much like a fool. I didn't even let my child win a candy Land when she was four. You will never get a gift here. You don't believe I have the.
Speaker 12: Same mentality right about bold everything like when they win, I want them to know they won the correct exactly.
Speaker 4: And there's nobody gets a freebie from Mars. And you know what, when she won the first time, she literally danced around with her fingers in my face, so I knew I'd done it right. We'll be back tomorrow. Oka Sports coming up next. Keep it right here,