Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: It's still raining out there, at least it is where I am. It's not, uh, I mean, it's just been that consistent, occasional heavy, but like never really stopping. I'm often critical of meteorologists when they get it wrong and they're you know, and they really are trying to keep people safe and do a good job. And most of the time it's all in fun whenever I pick at them. But you know, there are some that I think just it's their nature. Maybe maybe it's not an intentional thing, it's just their personality and how they express things to where you know, they they've got you thinking you're gonna need to call everybody you know then you love and tell them goodbye because you know, mother nature is just gonna take us all out. So, you know, I'm critical of them, and I think at times if they predict something really really bad, like they project that it's happening and it doesn't, it's like a good thing, right, because nobody wants a really terrible, you know, mother nature related thing to happen. That could you know, hurt some people. I mean, so the relief of knowing they were wrong actually makes it to where like they're not really at times held accountable in my opinion. So I say all that to say they got it right. I mean, I'm pretty sure anybody I heard giving us updates on whether yesterday or even the day before, what they said is exactly what has happened. It was gonna start raining late late on Thursday, mostly actually Friday morning, and it was going to rain for a long time and not stop. And that's where we are right now. It sounds like the wind has slowed down a little bit. It's still a lot of people here in Kentucky, Ina without power, it looks like, but I'd say the worst of it has come and gone at least I hope that's the case, because, uh, you know, flooding is a real worry. And my we we had a basement flood at the house I'm at right now, which we've been here for I guess two years now, but we were here maybe I don't know, a month five weeks before we had the this basement flood. Had to get new car. It was just a pain in the ass. So we've had two basements that have flooded on us where we had to get you know, new carpet and you know that whole mess. So we are paranoid, my wife more than I because you know, she's more responsible, she's the adult in the relationship. But like we worry about that sump pump. The sump pump is if you know, you need it, if it's not operating, if it goes out, if it's if it just you know, can't keep up, then you're screwed. So you know, make sure yours. And I've heard of people who, you know, you don't think to go check your sump pump randomly, I mean I don't. I mean maybe during these types of situations you would, but like they didn't realize that it went out or it was unplugged because they were moving something around in that utility room. So this is the time where you need to check on it and make sure it's working because if not, you're gonna be You're gonna be screwed. All right, it's coffee and Company. We are fiel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us as we get you set for the weekend. Louisville Notre Dame, less than twenty four hours away. The storm, the storms and the weather overall has impacted Louisville's travel. It sounds like I believe they were expected to take a flight up to South Bend. That is usually how they travel. There aren't many places they go via bus. However, they did take the bus up today to South Bend, and it's an old school road trip. I would imagine this is the longest bus ride they've taken as a team in quite some time, and I choose to think of it as a good thing. I mean, either way, they're gonna have a full night's rest tonight for the game tomorrow. But maybe there's some more team bonding on a bus than which you'd get on a plane. I don't know, but I do know I am confident that Louisville will win tomorrow. I mean I don't. I'm not that guy that's like I'm calling my shot the cars are taking them down, Like that's just not really not really my my style. Also, I don't think any I mean, let me ask you this, John, you're somebody who is now in the business. Do you think people really care about picks that people make.
Speaker 3: I think now so more than ever, people care more about you know, spreads and over enders and that stuff because there's money on the line. Back before sports betting was really all the rage it is now, I feel like it was a lot more common for people to care about just your regular picks.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, so for each of the games.
Speaker 2: I'm a Louisville fan, so like there are games that I think Louisville can lose, Like there's games where I don't expect Louislle to win. I mean, we just got through with the Kenny Payne are are you kidding me? But like I'm not, let me, let me, let me tease up, stick with me through two and a half hours, and then you're gonna get my pick about what's gonna happen in the Louisville game. Like you know, I just don't. I don't know, Like I'm I I'm a fan like anybody else. So I just tune in and watch and hope for the best. And you know, so I'm just have never really been like what's your pick? Which you know, it's just not my kind of thing now when it comes to picking other games, when it comes to just wagering, I do that just in fun because it is fun, and uh, you know that has become a big big It's become a big not just a talking point. But when when it comes to sports gambling content, I mean it's very very popular within the you know, the entertainment world. Although it does it does irritate me. I mean, I I know what they're doing. They're trying to target people who they want to start betting on sports that maybe don't even watch sports that much. But like, why are there so many like a list celebrities that are the ones that are endorsing these sports books. I mean again, they are big, you know, they're they're influen their influencers, right, they're endorsing them. And if you see Jamie Fox or Kevin Hart pop up for a sports book, like it may catch your attention more than some loudmouth sports guy who's you know, a nobody, but he makes a lot of money on gambling. But like, I don't know, I just feel like that's a wasted Like it is Jamie Fox really gonna make you download whatever sports book he is honking so you can start betting. Like I don't know, again, no hate to Jamie Fox. I'm sure, he's getting paid a lot of money to do it, but like, to me, isn't that I just feel like, John, I get your thoughts on this. That's probably the attempt to get the people who aren't necessarily there's people who watch sports occasionally, but like if they were gonna do it, they would have already done it. Well, maybe now this a less celebrity talking about it is going to get him interested because they really like, you know, Kevin Hart and I feel.
Speaker 3: Like those Shack they kind of approach it from different angles Because Jamie Fox, I feel like he tries to come off as this real classy dude and maybe he maybe it's different with his company that he's endorsing. When Kevin Hart character, Kevin Hart acts like he's the casual dude eating wings on the couch, getting excited about whoever he's bet on for whatever game it is, look and whatever works.
Speaker 2: Clearly they keep spending money in their marketing efforts to to you know, with these big celebrities. But it just to me it seems like such a stretch. But I am somebody that would see it that way because it could be Kevin Hart or Tony Hart or Tony Venetti. I'm gonna bet because that's what I want to do. There's not anybody that's like, it's just that I don't need you to market to me because I'm already doing it. So clearly they've got a strategy. I would imagine the person making those decisions within these big corporations that make billions of dollars, they know what they're doing. But anyways, what I'm saying is I think Louisvill's going to win. I'm not gonna be the guy that says I'm calling my shot, I'm predicting it. I just think they're a better football team. I think they're gonna be ready to play. Their coach, you know, Jeff Bram. You guys heard of him. He's pretty damn good coach in these games. Specifically a good coach overall, with a lot of success under his belt. But these are the kind of games. He has his team ready to play, and he's taken advantage of opportunities, and this is this is still a big opportunity for Louisill. Trust me, this will absolutely start changing how Louisville is viewed the rest of the way. Now, you gotta avoid a lost SMU next week, if you can get past Notre Dame, I mean, you need to avoid a lost SMU regardless. By the way, louis did open up as eleven point favorites in that game next Saturday. However, this would put Louisville in a position to where I think it'll be Miami Louisville and then Miami Louisville Clemson in that order, and then everybody else when it comes to the ACC and the thought of getting two ACC teams in, it really kind of depends on how things play the rest of the way out. So if Louisville does lose to Notre Dame tomorrow, it doesn't eliminate I mean, it's not even a conference game, so they could still get to the a SEC Championship. If they would we be able to win that, then they're in. But I hate that Notre Dame lost in Norland, Illinois, Like I was rooting for Norland Illinois to pull off the upset because it was great to see. But if they were undefeated and still look the same, like, let's say they found a way to drive there and punch one in and avoid that upset loss in Northern Illinois, they'd be viewed different, like they'd be ranked higher than Louisville. They would be they would probably be an even bigger favorite maybe, So you know, I just want the game to start. I'm ready to see where this team is and where they stand, how they stack up with an opponent like this on the road. The green that Notre Dame's gonna be wearing, obviously, it's been a big talking point. We talked about that yesterday with our guest who joined us to kind of preview the matt from that side of it. I think their green looks really really good, but I've never really thought about how different it is to what we typically see with Notre Dame. Like they're usually white, gold or that dark blue, and the green looks good. But like I think the visual tomorrow, Louisville wearing all white, which I love, their all white uniforms, in Notre Dame wearing green, which is something they only wear once a year. Like it's just gonna be it's just gonna be different than what you typically see in Notre Dame games. But right now, Louisville is still a touchdown underdog, and I'm surprised by that. I mean, I'm trying you know you said it earlier, John, so I don't feel like such a homer saying it. And we talked yesterday to a guy who knows Notre Dame as well as anybody. That's Tyler Horka, who's a beat writer for On three Sports covering the Irish. I mean, I don't think anybody's claiming they're gonna get their ass kicked, or I don't think anybody really feels that way. Maybe they do, but the spread just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, Like it's one of those spreads where you got to think, like, you know, what does Vegas know that we don't? What are what are they anticipating happens that we're not seen because Notre Dame. I mean, yeah, they blew the hell all out of Purdue, but a lot of teams are gonna do that. And you know, they didn't really like the world on fire against Miami, Ohio. They lost in a little Illinois and yes, I know Texas Tech at their place is a big win, but I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think if you remove the brand, yeah either way, I think if you remove the brand from both teams and you just take the results, even though Louisville would still be the away team. I think the spread would be a lot closer, maybe not necessarily in favor of Little maybe closer to like two and a half three something like that, if you remove the Notre Dame brand.
Speaker 2: And I understand, I totally understand that this is a big game for Notre Dame and there's a lot like this is like they know they've got Like this is not something they're gonna This game isn't going to like just they're not gonna come out flat, at least they shouldn't, right, Like it'd be a really bad sign for Marcus Freeman if his team comes out flat in this game where they've got a chance to pick up a win against the top fifteen team and not remove that terrible loss on their resume, but to tell people, hey, that was a fluke. We're gonna keep winning and we'll see if we get in Like that's what they that's what they need to do. But it's not as if Notre Dame under Marcus Freeman has a history or any kind of a pattern of like really getting it done when when when the spotlight's bright and they gotta win because they've lost to Marshall under him, we all know the NIU loss is there. He has a loss to Stanford, which doesn't sound as bad as those other two, but Stanford has been really bad in recent years. You know, they don't win. They don't mean he has a losing record at Notre Dame against top twenty five teams. And look, I know that most teams will probably have a losing record in the last few years against ranked teams, because beating ranked teams is not something that happens very often. However, he's a Notre Dame, so like, it's not as if you know, they can bank on this historic trend of just being a better team than most when look, they're good, but Louis was prettydamn good team too. And I really, you know, if you'd asked me last week, you know, let's say, immediately following the immediately following Louis's win against Georgia Tech, I don't even know when Notre Dame played Miam of Ohio. But if you had told me at that point not to ask what the opening line is, but to if you'd ask me what it'll be when it kicks off, I would have not said seven or seven and a half, and that's where it's at right now, And it doesn't change anything about how I feel about the game, because I know how this stuff works. But you know, I just I would have expected not all put it this way. It's not like I would have expected a whole lot more love for Louis because let's be real, they've only played one team that anybody's really heard of, and in that game, yeah, they won and they covered, but it was a different cover than you typically see. Right, They got some unexpected type of plays. Doesn't mean that they're not deserving of credit for making those plays, but you don't expect to get a special team's touchdown and a defensive touchdown in the same game. So it's not about like, hey, why is anybody looking at louisvill look how great they are. It's just like, I don't know what may like what what does anybody look at Notre Dames? What do they see at Notre Dame that may makes them feel like they're deserving to being you know, a touchdown favored against the team that beat them last year and in fact bullied them. There was a late touchdown by Notre Dame that made that thing closer than it actually was, and look beating Texas Tech. I keep saying Texas Tech beating Texas Tech at their place in College Station. You know that's impressive, but also Texas Like, we have no clue what that A and M win means for Notre Dame. A and m's played McNee State, a terrible Florida team in Bowling Green that they barely beat since that game, so like, what's more of a What's what's of a what's a bigger tell with Notre Dame that they lost to NIU or that they beat Texas A and M in College Station? I mean, I think the one that stands out more than the other is the loss to NIU and n IU. Again, it's not just the random loss to a MAC team. NIU turned around lost to a terrible Buffalo team two weeks later. So tomorrow we've got pregame coverage starting at two thirty. It's the LOISLL Football pregame Show with myself. It'll start again two thirty. It is presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital, and right after the game ends, we'll go up until three thirty when kickoff starts, and then as soon as it ends, we go live once again right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville Football postgame show, hosted by myself. It's presented by Alex R. White Lawyers. So Distracted Driver dot Com will take your calls and react to whatever it is that that happens between these two teams. Again, I'm confident, but it's a it's a it's not a confidence of like we're going to shock the world. It's and it feels good to be in this place because I don't feel like I'm confident that my team's going to go do something that they never do. I just think they're better and Jeff's this is the these this is where he shines. And I think in a way, Notre Dame, you know, they're the ones that have the pressure, right. I mean, both teams have a lot to gain by by winning this one, but there's more pressure on Notre Dame because if they lose, I mean, they might as well close it up the rest of the season. I mean, there's a there's no scenario they would get in. And when you are a not like you don't even have a chance to go to a conference title game randomly and like, if Notre Dame loses, I'm not literally saying they shouldn't finish their season, right, but like, think about it, John, if Notre Dame loses, everything else is just a waste.
Speaker 4: Do you think if because they.
Speaker 2: Can't rely on upsets in a league and go find a spot in the title game, they don't have a conference, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Do you think that if this happens enough times to Notre Dame over the course of this new twelve team playoff format, it would ever influence them to join a conference.
Speaker 2: It would have to be a scenario where they quite literally can say that not being in a league led to it. Like if you lose to Louisville and then Northern Illinois in the month of September, that's not a conference thing's fault, that's you not being good enough, right. But if it ever ends up to where they are truly not able to have that needed data point, I mean, that's how you get in automatically, is to win your league. They don't have a league, so they knew that they would never be able to get one of those top four spots in a VIBE. But they I mean there I don't know if you can find in really any sport a situation that's unique like this one with Notre Dame. They are a national program, whereas in college sports, no program is like totally national. I mean, there are clearly some big time programs like Alabama football or Kentucky basketball or Duke basketball that people just latch onto because they're you know, they're they just what do they call it, you know, they're they're they just, yeah, they're bandwagon. They like who's good. But Notre Dame has a national fan base because they're the Catholic school, and you know, it's it's an entire religion and they've got a lot of tradition as well. They did a movie that sucked called Rudy that is terrible. But you know, they don't like, they don't need to join a conference, and if any other school was in their situation, which again they can't, they can't even relate. Like it's just different. Nobody would join a league unless you had to because NBC is gonna give you that much money and you can go do whatever you want. You don't have to follow a league. You know, you can do whatever you want and you could still make the money that a lot of schools you know, are making in the Big Ten and in the SEC. I mean you looked it up not that long ago. It was very comparable, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were forty nine or might have been fifty, and then the SEC was right around the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean it makes no sense for them to join the league. I think it would have to turn out to where they've now had. Okay, we have because another factor. It's not just that like you don't have that chance to win a conference and go do it, but also the you know, you'd have to have really good teams that you felt like truly didn't get a chance to go play for a national championship because the conference championship game wasn't there for you to go get it done. Like this year, if they run the table after lou If let's say they lose to Louisville tomorrow and then they run the table, they'd still have to look in the mirror for not making it. You know, it wouldn't be a conference thing. But again back to the original point, if they do lose tomorrow, they could at least if they're in a conference. See some upsets happen to where they'd fall into the title game. I mean Louisville last year, they had a good year. They went seven and one in their league. So it wasn't as if they just fell into it. But that happened because you know of how the schedule played out. All right, let's get to our first break here in the five o'clock hour a little bit sooner than we typically do. Want to try to keep this thing on track as best I can. Every time I open up Facebook, I'm continuing to see people just mad as hell that kids didn't go to school today. People who have no kids, who don't work in the school system, that don't have spouses that work in the school system. Why are you mad that a kid didn't have to go to school today. I don't get it. A couple of people did text them when we talked about it earlier. I'll share what they had to say. There's one reason I've heard that I think I can at least you know, I can understand. I don't agree, but like I get it. Also, some other games we want to talk about before we get out of here for the weekend, and who ell, who knows what else we're gonna get into it's a Friday, it's rainy, it's nasty, but hey, it's Friday. That Trump's this nasty weather, all right, quick break, stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's coffee and company Fuelbeth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety about thirty minutes left before we call it a week and get out of here for the weekend. But I any want to remind you once again to keep Jefferson Animal Hospital in mind when it comes to your pets. Now, emergencies happened, but you don't really plan for an emergency. Well, I guess you can. You can have a plan for when an emergency happens, but I don't think you're just sitting around plan. Here we go, here's an emergency situation that we know is going to happen exactly at this time. So here's your plan. Reach out to Jefferson Animal Hospital. If an emergency does happen with your pet. It's a scary situation. I'm sure. Thankfully, I've never been in that situation, but I know many have, and a lot of you've probably gone to Jeffersonnimal Hospital because they've been doing this for a long, long time. We're talking forty four years, folks. And when you take care of people's pets for that long and you do a great job and you're passionate about what you do, that's going to lead to you having a great reputation. And that's exactly the case for Jefferson Animal Hospital. So they've been again around since nineteen eighty. They are open twenty four hours day, night, holidays, even Christmas. They're gonna have a doctor on staff for your pet if something happens. So you can get more information at Jefferson Vets dot com or give them a call at five O two nine hundred pets. It doesn't have to be an emergency. Maybe you just feel like, hey, it's been a while since I had my pet checked out. I know they probably need some check need a check up, maybe need some vaccinations or whatnot. So give them a call or go to pet Blood or at the website wrong give them a call a FOBO two nine undred pets. So you can go to Jefferson Vets dot com and you can also go to pet Bloodbank dot com to get more information on their pet Blood making. The big event they've got coming up next month and You may not know this, but your pet can donate blood just like you can. Not all of them, but if your dog is fifty pounds or more your cat's ten pounds or more, they may qualify to be a pet blood donor, and by donating blood, your pet could save up to four to six lives. So Jefferson Animal Hospital, Jefferson Vets dot Com fiboh two nine hundred pets. All right, So real quick on the Louisville matchup, I mean, I think it's pretty clear if you're looking at Notre Dame from the louis perspective, what you feel like you really need to emphasize, and that is containing the run game as best as possible. And I don't mean just containing the running backs who can get loose on you. They certainly do that against Texas Tech, but in their top twenty in the country in rushing yards, so that's clearly their identity right now. And it's not just the running backs though. Riley Leonard, I mean he's not been I think what they thought they were getting at Notre Dame, but he has been effective at making plays with his legs and Louisville has been prone in the last you know, few games. They've only played three, act like they've been playing for you know, months now, but twice they've had quarterbacks be able to get loose and make some plays and extend drives. And of the quarterbacks they've played, I wouldn't say Riley Leonard is as good as Haines King when it comes to that, because Haines King that's really just what he does. I mean, he's again one of four quarterbacks last year who had twenty five passing touchdowns and ten rushing touchdowns. So that's not Riley Leonard. But he has shown that he's a big body and he can pick and choose his spots pretty well as far as when he can make a play, get a first down and extended drive. So you got to keep that in mind. They've not been great through the air. That's why I think you're just gonna maybe not just give him all day, right. You want to try to get after him, make him uncomfortable, but you're better off with him in the pocket trying to beat you with his arm. And he's been a good quarterback throughout his career, but he's just not been consistent and for some reason, it has not clicked yet. With him at Notre Dame and his receivers, they just have not been I mean they've not been able to get it going through the air. Now, if you're Notre Dame and you're looking at Louisville, I don't really know what year conclusion is After three games, it's really one game, right, the first two games you throw them out the window, to be honest with you. I mean, I'm sure they watch game film and what not to get more familiar, but the results in those games, the numbers in those games. You got a factor in who they played in Georgia Tech. I mean, that's a good team. I think I don't know how many games are gonna end up with this year as far as wins. But you know, Louisville won. They covered, they look pretty good, but they didn't. They didn't play clean football throughout. And I still think a lot of credit goes to Georgia Tech for that. I think that's what they do. But if I'm Notre Dame, I don't really know what I would try. I mean, what I would feel like I could exploit. You know, maybe it is that they've not done a good job at containing quarterbacks who can take off and make a play, but you got to know that Louisville is going to make sure that's something that they take away. A lot of people on the text line with me that they actually think Louisville will lose, but they're surprised that they're touchdown underdogs here to a Notre Dame team that you know has the worst loss of any power for team right now, don't they? I mean NIU, Yeah they're in the MAC. It's not an FCS team, but like NIU is now what two and one? It was great that NAU got ranked for a minute. Were they ranked when they lost to They probably were when they were.
Speaker 4: But it was fun.
Speaker 3: They were also ranked. They had a worse ranking than Notre Dame even though they beat Notre Dame, which doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the day people, we all know what I mean. It'll never go away, and I'm not advocating that it should, but it really is silly this early in the year to act like we know where anybody truly stands. I mean, it's always been silly. I think the playoff and again, the way they do the playoff rankings. It's not just because we know those are the only ones that matter. But those playoff rankings are done differently than a people voters do it because they don't factor in just week by week. They factor in like you could lose and not fall off the number one spot if you've got that good of a resume, because one game doesn't just because you loss doesn't mean that body, you know, your body of work has shifted that much.
Speaker 3: So imagine what if they didn't do any rankings until the first unveiling of the college football playoff.
Speaker 4: Rankings and it was just random. Now, so when I.
Speaker 3: Say random, you don't know where you stand and tell you first.
Speaker 2: You thought you thought you thought you were looking like a top ten team for sure, maybe you're not even in the top twenty five. Yeah, I would hate that because we would all just I mean, I would be desperate to get some level of some reference point to see objectively where where even if I didn't agree with it, I could understand that you know, this is this is thirty people who are you know, objective here, and this is the way they see it. So I would hate it, But it would be good for college football because it would lead to more people talking about college football internally because we wouldn't have anything to like go off of you know what I mean, we just be yelling at each other's hands, chaotic. It would be Yeah, I don't want that, but again it would probably be beneficial to where you know, the more people are talking about it, the more people are into it, the more people are debating about your sport, your product. It's good for that sport. All right, Let's see here when I said earlier that like, I don't understand why there's so many people who are are like their days been impacted somewhat negatively because kids didn't have to go to school today. And I guess some of the people listening didn't hear the beginning of that, and I'm trying I should clarify it more. I guess if you have a kid that goes to school, or you're a teacher and you want to go to like, it's totally different, Like it is a total total inconvenience to have a day off of school for your kids because of weather, You got to find childcare, you may not have the ability to work from home. There's all kinds of scenarios. Everybody's situation is different, but like, more often than not, I'd say it's not ideal for an unexpected off day for a kid who's in school, especially one that can't watch themselves at home. You know, that isn't like a teenager or something like that. So like the people in the text line that are telling me, like how inconvenience it is for them, they got to take a day off, they got to use a vacation day. If this happens, like I'm not talking about you, I get it, Like I understand. I don't think anybody's at fault, like I think, you know, at the end of the day, they're looking out for kids safety when they make these decisions. And even if they got it wrong and they didn't really need that day off, they still can claim that. And I believe, you know, I try to see the best in people. I think when they make these decisions, they are in fact thinking of the safety of kids, which is what they should do. The people I'm talking about, it's those that don't have any This isn't impacting them at all. They don't have a kid in school, they don't work for the school system, they don't even have like a niece or nephew in the school system, or they've got kids that go to school elsewhere. That aren't. Again, if you just have the opinion, that's one thing. Everybody can have their opinion. Like if you think it's lame and weak and soft of society this day and age to not have kids go to school because it's windy and rainy, like you're entitled to your opinion. That's totally different. That's not at all what I'm getting getting at, but like for somebody to feel the need to continuously like post about it on social media, like why does it bother you that that much? And the reason I say that much is because we all have things in our mind that we don't think to just get out our phones and start typing away to post on social media. More often than not, when somebody does that and it's a gripe, it's something that really triggered them more than maybe most things, because they are they they gotta let I gotta let people know about this. It's insane that these kids are this week and they don't even have to go out and at the bus stop when it's raining, and that those are the people that I'm that I'm referring to, like I just would it's not I mean again, you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I'm not judging you to say you're a terrible person. I'm just trying to understand why it bothers you that much. And again, most people who respond or responding as people who I understand why would be an inconvenience for you. But one person says that it's all about the taxpayer impact, and that federal public education funding is equivalent of zero point fifty one percent of total taxpayer income. So I think what you're saying is like, if they're not in school, like maybe they like your tax dollars are for them to be going to school, and your money's being wasted if they don't. Is that what you're saying their money like, I'm just trying to understand what that means.
Speaker 3: If that's what he's saying, I don't get how the argument makes sense because they make up the day or I mean, and now again, if you're doing intel, it's a different store.
Speaker 2: But if you've got to add days, then you know it's going to cost more money for.
Speaker 3: Storing or to like keep the school open and you know, pay for the businesses and that time stuff.
Speaker 2: I think this person did, in fact deliver what I was asking something that at least like again, I'm not you know, and hey, that's the way you see it cool, Like I really don't mean but that that is somebody who at least can bring I think it's a little much for you to be losing sleep over that and maybe posted on Facebook and call in Marty Polio the worst names ever. But like that at least is something. I think it's kind of silly, But hey, you have your opinion. I have mine speaking of Martin Polio. Maybe nobody's told me otherwise. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I don't think it is, considering the fact that this was probably a questionable decision for them to call off school like they did last night because of wind and rain. I mean, to me, it's just about keeping kids safe and always making sure you're not going to risk it. But the fact that he then decided to announce his retirement today, not effective immediately, but effective as of July, I mean it's got to be related to this. I mean, I would stand corrected if in fact there's you know, there's other reasons, and I'm sure this isn't the only reason. Let's be honest, this guy's taken a beating in the public for the for the JCPS situation in the last few years, the JCPS debacle in recent years, and look, that's his job. I mean, it's a tough gig. What did Venetti say on Twitter about job?
Speaker 3: He said, what's worse electrodes to the privates or being the JCPS superintendent?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that somebody has what's the voltage?
Speaker 2: It's It's one of those jobs that I it's a thankless gig, and it's one of those jobs that I oftentimes think, like God, like, I'm sure it pays well, and you are working a job that is very important, helping children, helping a school system that you know is here to develop children and make an impact on their lives and everybody's lives. Like it, It's certainly something you do for a labor of love. But like you can do other things and go home at night knowing you're helping people that you know, other jobs that don't have what this comes with, Because I actually think, again, what do I know just an outsider's opinion who doesn't have a kid in school in JCPS. I'm not an employee at JACPS. Clearly they've made mistakes. They would tell you that, but I think some of the issues that go on at JCPS a route to those issues. The root of those issues is parents that you know, kids aren't getting good guy to they don't know how to behave anymore, or maybe their kids aren't terribly behaved. But like, and I'm about to do it, John, I'm about to be beck in Marjorie. But if a teacher told my parents I did this or I did that, there wasn't a conversation. It wasn't a well let's get let's get together and see what happened. I know my Nicholas, he I know he wouldn't do that. There was no conversation. That's what because my parents respected that teachers were not going I'm sure there's teachers that my parents didn't like, but teachers were gonna get the benefit of doubt when it comes to their parent And I'm not even saying they always deserve that, but like, there are some parents who refuse to believe that their kids would ever do something wrong. And like, if your kids are misbehaving, not just you know, your typical misbehaving at school, but I mean like being badass kids that you know would be in jail if they were old enough, and that happens a lot. People don't mean I'm I'm not saying this for shock value. This is real life stuff here, Like there's some badass kids out there, not just in JCPS everywhere, but like JCPS is a huge school district. But if they're being bad ass kids at school and getting in trouble and going home and it's not being related to them that their behavior is unacceptable, teachers can't win, administrators can't win. And I don't know the percentage of parents who operate like that, but clearly there's enough to where there's nothing school administration can do. In fact, there's something there's some kids to where I would bet that there's nothing parents can do, Like some kids are.
Speaker 3: Just bad in enabling though all teachers are liberal buffoons or snowflakes, and that you know, that's the problem with the school system.
Speaker 2: Is jenial what they think. I mean, your wife is a teacher, I don't know if and she's never really grade trust me. I mean that's not something that I have have heard, like directly, but I know about it. I mean I know that exists. I mean liberal snowflakes is what a lot of people probably yelled today when they woke up when they saw that kids weren't going to school right.
Speaker 3: Like PCPs didn't know the badasses of Bullet County.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, you should have seen Jerry Dudey. You think we're liberals in this county, got another thing coming, baby, it's red Kingdom on the on this side. Just so, I mean, like, I mean, you know, I think people know where I am politically, if anywhere, but you know, let's be real, a lot of Trump flags uh within walking distance to where I'm sitting right now. And that's not a bad thing. I'm not saying like that means that like these people are flawed. I'm just saying, like, you know, a lot more uh a lot more red over here than blue in uh in in in Bullet County, but not with UKU of L. It's actually the opposite. Although I will say this, man, I see way more U of L representation in Bullet County than I ever have, And I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention before, but it's nice to see.
Speaker 3: I think I know the movement from you know, people moving out into Bullet County.
Speaker 2: And I would say, I would say that the county outside of Jefferson that has the most Louisville fans in the city of Kentucky would probably be Bullet and Oldham. That'd be my guess. And I want to say Bullet would have more, but I don't know enough about Oldham County. I don't know if they. I mean, I know they have Louisville fans there, and Louivel fans are everywhere. I mean, and this show. Not to say that, like our biggest listener base is just Rando's out there in different parts of the state, but like they don't they can't turn on their radio in Paduka, Kentucky and listen to this. I mean, they could try. Signal might be that good, but you know, they they don't get it anywhere else, so they got to they gotta come here to get their fix because they're Louisville fans. So like I hear from those people because they're like, hey, I'm out here in you know, such and such county. But it's nice to, you know, hear U ofl sports and whatnot. So not to say that there's no Louisville fans anywhere other than Jefferson County. That's not the case at all. But I would say the biggest bulk of them outside of Jefferson County would probably be Bullet or Oldham, and I don't know, maybe Shelby. I don't know. Shelby I think has a lot of UK fans. UK fans Avery they're again I'm not kidding. You could go to Pluto and run into a UK fan and they'd have a UK shirt on and you wouldn't even have to approach them. They would come to you and probably let you know they're a UK fan, and they might not even know, Like you could be a different form of life, you could be an alien and they would just not be able to resist throwing l's down at at you, because that's that's that's their nature. It's what they do. All right, quick break will come back on the other side. Wrap this thing up. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on sport Stalk seven ninety there's no doubt both fan bases here when it comes to basketball are super excited for these new eras for different reasons and some I guess for the same reason just it's fresh, it's new. I think both guys have really convinced their fans that they're you know, they're not only you know, worthy of the job, but they're they're appreciative of it. They you know, they understand what the gig is. So we've seen that with the donations that came in with Nil when Pat Kelsey took over, which helped him go out and build this big roster. But this Kentucky fan base, we know they're massive, and Mark Pope's one of their own. But this, I mean, Big Blue Madness has fallen off in recent years. Nobody would tell you otherwise. They sold out tickets for that in twenty four minutes. Rough Arenas sold out twenty four minutes the entire arena for Big Blue Madness, and that just speaks to how excited they are for for Mark Pope. And I you know, we'll see if he can if he can win, but uh yeah, I mean that's it's pretty impressive. I'll give him credit for that, all right, don't forget tomorrow game day coverage is here. We've got the Louisville Fotball pregame show present about Pellow, Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital will do that at two thirty three point thirty kickoff and then when it ends come back, we'll talk about it, we'll react to whatever it is that happens up there in South Bend between Louisville and Notre Dame. It's the louis Football Postgame Show presented about Alex R. White, Lawyers and so Distracted Driver dot Com. I mean, it's that's not what this is, but you know that's that's that's the that's our sponsors, Alex R. White, So shout out to him. Al Right, you guys, have a good evening, stay dry and we'll talk to you soon. This has been another edition of Coffee and Company Feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety