Speaker 1: It's the Minnesota Goodbye, It's Friday. We're about to have a three day weekend. I think we're all probably a little excited for it. It's weird because I've been a part of the show for a long time, so I've had a very similar schedule for many years. And it's like you get off your Christmas break, you come back to work for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden, you get a random Monday off, and then in a month you get another random Monday off for President's Day, and then you don't have anything for a long time unless you use vacation. And it's like, wait, I have to do a five day week for a couple months straight.
Speaker 2: Oh no, even you.
Speaker 3: Though, like last year because this was like when I joined the show, you took your week off in May because you went to.
Speaker 4: Where in March?
Speaker 1: I did March because I went on a snowboarding trip. I usually do like two snowboarding trips, And the last couple of years, I've had two vacations like right away, which I don't like in the beginning of the year because I've had bachelorette parties that have been destination parties on top of a snowboarding trip and so luckily this year we are going snowboarding, but only for a few days, will be gone at the end of March.
Speaker 3: Again, what I want to know is there's I don't know if it's like the UK or just other countries period.
Speaker 4: You know how much PTO they get.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because they believe in people needing mental breaks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they do. They get they call it holiday.
Speaker 3: They get like ten weeks like to start, weeks to start what are your sources? And with our company, the way it works, I think we've said this on the radio before, it's like the more time you accrue at like with iHeart, the more days you get off. But to start you get like you get a half sick day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, for sure, I didn't have.
Speaker 6: I had one singular vacation day all of last year when I started in May.
Speaker 1: So we do a crew sick days pretty easily, but we don't really use those because we try to show up to work every day unless we are really really sick. But yes, I think in the first like handful of years that I Heart, you get five days of vacation, which it really isn't a lot.
Speaker 5: I went, oh do you get ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh really, okay, well that's good sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the first five years we get ten in Oh and then after that, after another five years, you get five more and so on and so forth.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that for sum reason. I thought it was only five. I can't remember anymore what it was like when I first started.
Speaker 2: Was it like?
Speaker 5: I don't even remember.
Speaker 1: But anyways, all right, we'll get to some emails and buy some emails. I mean one because if we didn't really get many, which is fine, but feel free to send them in. Dave's going to be back on Tuesday because we're off on Monday. Like I said, So it says last it was a few days ago. If somebody had emailed them about what to put on their kids jersey on the back of their jerseys because they were kind of concerned about putting their child's name, oh yeah, or if they put it nickname their last name.
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: So this person says, good morning, my thoughts on kids sports jerseys, Be a friend to the coach and put the kid's first name. It's hard for coaches and parents to remember all the names. Also, you will get so many of these each season. Your kids play, they do not get passed down to younger siblings. So it's like, you don't if you got their last name, it doesn't it's not good like you're going to use that jersey and for the younger sibling when they become that age or something. So just put the first name that says love you guys. That's from Rachelle. So hopefully that helps the person who had emailed in about that earlier this week.
Speaker 3: I agree, wouldn't it be would have passed it down to somebody else with the same first name either.
Speaker 1: No, but they're saying you're not going to pass it down period because when you do sports, you get a new jersey anyways, so they're not gonna be.
Speaker 5: Able to wear that same jersey, sure, is what they're saying.
Speaker 2: So there's no point, So just put the first name on it.
Speaker 4: I still would have put the last name.
Speaker 3: I went through this phase in like middle school where you guys know, I love watching like Law and Order, and I was I also watch a Chicago Fire, which is a firefighters show. So I went through a phase where I was calling people just by their last names, like.
Speaker 4: Yo, has what up? Lutenberger?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: Ryan?
Speaker 3: And I just feel like, because it's sports, I'm just going to keep that going and just do the last name.
Speaker 6: I always thought that was weird when people referred to people as their last name, because they only ever did that in Harry Potter, and I was just like, why is he calling him malfoy?
Speaker 2: That's his last name. That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: We used to call certain people by their last names.
Speaker 2: It just depends. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like it on what your last name was, if it was a cool last name or not. Then if it was like my yeah, my Lutenberger. Actually some people did call me that. My US history teacher in tenth grade, he called me Lutenberger all the time until I got one hundred on one hundred percent on his quizzes. And his tests were so hard because it was like taking a college course. He would spew out so much information and you had to study every single bit of it. But he was one of my favorite teachers. But everyone knew mister Walter was one of the hardest teachers. And I got one hundred percent on one of his tests and I was like the only ones. So he called me queene because he started demean you the queen or the King if she got like one hundred percent, So then I got switched to Queenee, but then I don't think I ever got one hundred percent after that, so.
Speaker 6: I was talking to So yesterday I went to the Saturday Dumpling Company, which was delicious, with my friend Katie Cap shout out Katie Cap. And we were talking about our favorite teachers because we went to middle school and high school together, so every time we're together, we always end up talking a little bit about high school, and we were talking about our favorite teachers, and similarly, like you said, oh, this is a teacher everybody hates, but you liked him. He was like one of your favorite teachers. And we were talking about our favorite teachers and one of my favorite teachers.
Speaker 2: She was like, that guy was such a creep.
Speaker 6: Oh I hated that guy, and I was like, really, he was my favorite teacher. But then she also like hated the physics teacher and I loved him because he let us watch The Big Bang Theory, and she was like right, She's like, all I remember was that he would he would keep like falling asleep in class and we would be like, why are you falling asleep?
Speaker 2: And he's like Oh sorry, I was just trying to make a baby all night.
Speaker 5: Oh god, And I remember that all the time.
Speaker 6: She's like, I cannot believe that a teacher said that to a bunch of like tenth.
Speaker 5: Mile They would not get away with that nowadays.
Speaker 2: Not nowadays.
Speaker 1: No, I okay, So not to get into super creepy stories, but I told Bailey and Dave the story. And I don't remember if you were in the studio vut when this happened a couple of days ago. So I had an our teacher in like seventh or eighth grade, and I really liked him a lot. Like art, yes, and I liked him a lot, but there was some rumors that flew around that he had like makeup in his desk. And nowadays that wouldn't you wouldn't really like necessarily blink an eye on things like that. But back then it was like, oh, why does he have makeup? Like does he dress up at night?
Speaker 2: Like it?
Speaker 1: You know, it was just a different time that we were like, we don't understand, and we were young, and so I loved him. I thought he was great, but like one time I was kind of like messing around with him and one of my pieces of art. I wanted it to still be featured on this board, and he was taking it down, so I grabbed it and tried to put it back up there, like because I was a little shit, but like also we had like a fun like the class was fun, Like that was shit we could do there, and he like grabbed it and like pinned me to the table while he grabbed it, and I did the example on Bailey of what he did.
Speaker 2: David arrested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave was like, no, that is not okay, and I'm like, I know it wasn't okay, and it kind of in my head was like this doesn't feel like it should be happening.
Speaker 4: I should say, but I should react, but.
Speaker 1: I do love him, and like whatever, you know, it is what it is. But it kind of like added to the fact that he had makeup in his desk that I kind of got a little creeped out by him for this is weird. But then I forgot about it because I was a kid and I was like, ah, you know whatever, he's my teacher.
Speaker 5: I like him, he's fun.
Speaker 2: And now you're looking back on it, like that was weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what grade was this, like seventh or eighth.
Speaker 3: Oh, my school was also the weird period where like kids are grown enough to kind of know what's going on, but also they just go along with things like not enough, not developed enough to form their own opinions.
Speaker 4: That's creepy, right.
Speaker 3: I wish that I had not I wish, but like it would have been so interesting to see when I went to school a teacher that had some type of scandal going on.
Speaker 4: I feel like so many people.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, yeah, there were some There were some bad scandals. I don't even want to get into it because it's pretty morbid.
Speaker 2: Honestly.
Speaker 1: Somebody died, but there was like a big scandal with a teacher sleeping with a kid, and like.
Speaker 2: This, Okay, that does not happen in mine.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The cliff notes version is he was like the cross country teacher or coach slash math teacher. He was my math teacher at one point too, and he slept with one of his cross country girls and uh he you know, he was going to trial for it, all this stuff, and he was very, very very athletic, and one day he was just like doing this crazy bike ride around this hill that definitely had kind of like blind spots and a car hit him and he died.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And the saddest thing is his wife. This is so small town. His wife was my guynecologist, Oh my god. And one of his one of his mate Like, he became friends with one of my good friends because he wasn't that much older than us. He was like a young teacher, and he became friends with one of the guys who ran cross country post high school, and so he was babysitting their kids one day. So I've like been to their house before. Yeah, and ton of wasn't that small. I mean, we have like forty five thousand people that live there. But yeah, it was a really messed up, sad thing. And I just felt awful for my guy in ecologists because she had to deal with all the scandal and then all of a sudden the death and they have kids together.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Wow wild Anyway, anyway, anybody asked.
Speaker 1: That's some kind of soap opera story you can tell about your teachers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember we had a teacher.
Speaker 6: This is not that exciting a story for like me in terms of trauma or whatever, But I had a teacher. He was my psychology teacher, and he was a social studies teacher and he was so cool. His name was mister Thompson, and he was one of those teachers where if you asked him a question like about his life, he would start a story. And you knew that if you kept like fueling the story, that you wouldn't actually have to do any work that day. Yeah, which are the best days when it's just story time with mister Thompson. And he said, like he used to work in gosh, it was like a mental health hospital and it was so he would work there and he worked overnights and he would tell these like wild stories about like what people did at this mental health hospital. And he said one time that somebody like broke out, like they got out and like ran away, and he had to be the guy to like go and get this kid exactly. And he said that they were right next to like they were in the middle of nowhere, right next to a lake or like a pond or something. So this kid like jumped into this lake and he had to like jump out swim into the middle of this lake to grab this kid who's like flailing around and he's like swimming and flailing, and he said he almost drowned but he had told this story like literally the entire hour of class and we're just.
Speaker 2: Like, uh huh huh, and then what happened. He's the dopest.
Speaker 1: Also, though probably shouldn't be telling those stories very confidential for what his job should.
Speaker 5: Have been, right, I don't know. Yeah, that feels like it breaks a lot of rules, maybe a lot.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a show on Peacock.
Speaker 3: It's canceled now, but it's called One of Us Is Lying and it's based off book and it's about these five kids that go to detention, but in detention, one of them dies, and so the four of them, the other four kids are now suspects and it's kind of like a thrillery.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's based on a book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I just said that, Oh did you?
Speaker 2: Oh sorry?
Speaker 4: And it's it's.
Speaker 3: Good, but I always like wish again. Not really, but it'd be just cool to just see something like this play out as like a background character in real life, like, well, what the fuck do those kids going on?
Speaker 2: Like a Riverdale episode?
Speaker 3: Honestly, Riverdale like Euphoria I think are way too dramatic. Yeah, maybe I just went to a school where like all this crazy shit was not going on where like Zendeo was not smoking whatever the fuck in the bathroom.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's plenty of people who did the things on Euphoria, but I don't I don't want to.
Speaker 5: So was it Riverdale a little more soap operay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Reverdale is like kind of it's more like supernatural, kind like things that are happening in Reverdel that would never freaking happen in real life.
Speaker 2: But it's a comic book, so it makes sense. Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, Euphoria, I remember watching all of that and just being like, is this what people were like? And I just was never invited to these parties? What's happening? But I don't think it actually happened.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I mean, I think that U four is pretty extreme.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I definitely went to some sketchy situations when I was in high school, and I remember going Now, I do not partake in drugs, never have, never will, but I remember going to this one party and my friend Pete Barts was tripping on acid and he was having a really bad trip and his jaw was going like all over the all over the place. It was like he was talking to me, but he was like, Jenny, I'm freaking out right now, and his jaw was going everywhere, and I was like, Pete, you're fine, You're fine, You're gonna be okay.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 1: But anyways, that scared me enough to be like, well, I'll never ever even like look at acid. So that was a lesson for me, I guess. But yeah, I definitely listen. I was a good kid and I went to school and I got good grades. But I definitely was in some sketchy situations when I was younger that I should to ben in.
Speaker 5: My mom would absolutely.
Speaker 1: Die if she knew some of the shit that I did when I was younger, Like, she would die.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you a question, but I kind of want to pitch it as a topic for the actual show.
Speaker 4: Sure have you how often were you guys skipping school?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, see that's what I'm saying, Like I was a good kid, I would never skip school.
Speaker 4: Well, and maybe this is something we could do on the show next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used to skip class a lot, and I want to know how some people got caught, So, like, I would love for parents or even like people just to say how my mom caught me. Like twelfth grade, Me and at the time girlfriend used to skip class all the time to.
Speaker 4: Go home and study growth.
Speaker 3: And I got away with it because I was part of like so many clubs and things that I would just tell my teachers that I was skipping. I'd be like, oh, yeah, I have to go do this for orchestra, we have rehearsal, or like I have to go to this other campus to take photos for yearbook or whatever.
Speaker 4: And we would go to my.
Speaker 3: Mom's house all the time, and my room was in the basement, even if my mom wasn't home or was home or whatever, like we'd somehow get away with it. My mom never found that out until maybe until a couple of months ago, I think we I said that as a father Dave on the show, and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, She's like, what the heck?
Speaker 3: But I would love But there's so many because like life three sixties a thing, or like find my iPhone and parents like that tried to track their kids now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or even like from people I would like to hear from people like way back when, like how did they get before all those things?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what were you doing, even if it wasn't to go home and just you know, do that shit like maybe some kids got caught like at the corner store smoking cigarettes or some shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never me.
Speaker 6: Literally anytime they would even have like not once we even had in high school it was like below for it's like super cold, like negative thirty, and they made school optional and I went to school, so I never I went the opposite direction instead of skipping, I would go on an optional day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Bailey was kind of reminiscing over some feelings she had yesterday when you were at the high school. And normally we would read emails on this. We're not trying to like ignore one emails, we just don't have any new ones. So that's why we've kind of turned this into a Johnny Kathy, Bailey, Jenny talk about whatever they want today.
Speaker 5: But Bailey were, so.
Speaker 2: I work at a high school.
Speaker 6: I'm a coach for a speech team and I've done it for eleven years and it's really fun.
Speaker 2: I love it a lot. And every time I'm like.
Speaker 6: With the students, I just feel like energized and like having conversations with them where they're like, you know, forming their own opinions like learning how to be a better speaker, better writer, researcher.
Speaker 2: All that stuff. It's just like something that just brings me joy.
Speaker 6: So then every time I leave and I walk alone to my car, where I will end up driving home to be alone in my apartment with my cat, and I always on my way to my car see parents walking in with their kids of various ages, Like either there's like a basketball game and their kids playing and they're carrying like a Duffel bag, or it's like parent teacher conferences and they've got two parents with the kid who's all walking in and talking about what teachers are going to go see or whatever. And like watching these like parents walk in with their kids, I just look at the kids and I'm like, oh, that must be nice.
Speaker 3: That would be nice, Like you're like what your parent walking you in?
Speaker 2: No, like it would be nice to have a kid.
Speaker 6: Oh, And I but it's like a weird, a weird feeling for me because I don't like babies, like period, and I feel like as long as you're wearing a diaper, you're a baby to me.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to change diapers.
Speaker 6: I don't want to not know how to communicate with a child, and if you're a baby, I don't know how to communicate with you. But I like kids, but obviously you can't like get pregnant and have a five year old, Like that's not how it works. And also like I am dating someone, but I'm not we're not serious, Like I don't have any prospects of getting married and having a baby. Even if I met someone today, like it would still be like two years before I could potentially even like birth a child, and I don't really want to, but I want a kid really bad and not really bad. Anyway, It's it's a weird, it's a complicated situation. So yeah, anyway, it was just a weird thing that I experienced yesterday and I experience often when I see parents with children. And I posted about it on my Instagram baileyon air and people were reaching out and they were like, oh, you should be like a big sister for like big sister, big brother kind of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that, Yeah they do.
Speaker 6: But then also like with that, it's kind of like your an aunt where you like show up, do a fun thing and then leave and I kind of romanticize like the mundane stuff like bringing my kid to an like a parent teacher conference kind of situation. But then people are like, you could do it, you can adopt, you can foster, and I'm just not at a place right now where i could do any of that, but it is something that i'd be like, you know what, it'd be nice to have a kid in general. You know, I don't know if you feel the same way. Jenny, as like someone who is in their early to mid thirties who still doesn't have like the things that everybody around you has, and you're like, hmm, well, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean my thoughts on kids are a little bit different. I actually like kids in the baby phase much more than I will probably once they become like four or five. Then I kind of think kids get to be a little annoying. But sure, I know so many people who have said I felt the same way about kids until they were my own, Like I found kids annoying too until they were my own. So I don't know. I don't really look at anyone with kids and think like, oh I want that, or oh maybe I'll never have that. I don't have those feelings, but I do also obviously I have Andrew as a partner so like, if we decided to have kids, honestly, we probably would not go to the traditional route like we could if all of a sudden we decided we want kids, we would have them tomorrow without getting married right now, Like we don't care.
Speaker 4: So oh, that's what you mean by traditional route, Like you.
Speaker 5: Would like the whole, like you get married, Like.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't have it your own, you would just adopt.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean yeah, I mean there's no part of me that ever wants to be pregnant that I feel. That's a huge, huge thing for me, and I've like not to get into like the nitty gritty of it. But the reason for that for me is, honestly, it has a lot to do with my mental health. I am very, very scared for what will happen to me mentally if I were to be pregnant, because I deal with some issues and you know, like being pregnant already screws up a whole little bit and it has you all over the place emotionally, and I just don't know how I will react, just because I deal with some really bad anxiety issues.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't really want to be pregnant. I'm not really scared of the thought of pushing a baby out. Do I want to do that? No, that's not the part of pregnancy that scares me. It's honestly the emotions that I could potentially go through because of it. So yeah, that's my thoughts on it.
Speaker 3: Whening you get in pregnant, I just feel like Jenny, you love them in the baby stage.
Speaker 4: Bailey doesn't want to do diapers. Why don't you guys have a kid together.
Speaker 2: We'll have a kid together, Jenna over the.
Speaker 3: First three years, and then when it starts having a mind of its own, Bailey.
Speaker 6: You, once you potty train it, I'll take it, okay. I just don't want to change diapers period.
Speaker 3: Anytime I've talked to me and Alyssa, funny enough, recently, there's been a lot of baby talk looming in the air, and I came home one day and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, just something we want to talk about? Is something want to tell me it's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: I will, I know for a fact in the next I will say four years, because Alyssa is not much older but two years older than me, but so like transparently, like she knows like that.
Speaker 4: I guess what fertility clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she talks.
Speaker 3: About that, and I know that I want kids, and I'm glad that the listen and I are on the same page. But we just like Ulyssa just got here six months ago, like literally, think like last week made six months.
Speaker 4: We still have so much to do before we like.
Speaker 3: Tied, like sit down and settle online, right and exactly. Yeah, and I just having a kid as a like you said, Bailey, I don't want to. I'm not a big like change diaper's kid guy, or I'm not me and a list are not ready to give up our sleep.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, you know shit like that.
Speaker 2: Your whole life changes, it does, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And like I feel like my life has already changed so much in the past year and a half, right, Like March will be a year for me on this show, which is already like I'm still adjusting to that. And she liked that and then being a list of being here a new job, but there was a grander point that I was going to make and I kind of lost it. But yeah, I am going to have kids, I wondered. I'm gonna tell you, guys, how did Dave Oh well, no, all.
Speaker 1: Dave Ason, you were here back then yeah, and gosh, I don't even remember what Palin Wellen told me before it was announced on the radio. I don't remember how she even said it on the radio, though, but because I had known for a little bit already for.
Speaker 5: You, no, yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I don't think she made a big deal about it, because she never She wasn't really she didn't want kids for a while and then she changed her mind on that, and so I think it was kind of just like a oh, by the way, I'm pregnant.
Speaker 2: Right sort of by the way.
Speaker 1: All right, well, if you have any thoughts on that, feel free to email us Ryan Show at katiewb dot com. Dave's going to be back next week. We are off on Monday, though, just a heads up, so there will not be a new Minnesota goodbye then, but thanks for listening, and I hope you enjoy your weekend.