Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles. This is two fur.
Speaker 3: I know our second episode today.
Speaker 1: This never happened two A days. I think we're doing to a day workouts and what I mean not last time. We've done this twice twice in one day.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's been a hot minute.
Speaker 3: It has.
Speaker 1: It's better when you're a person.
Speaker 2: I agree, you know, it is tough to do like the what do we're on riverside?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yeah, and now.
Speaker 1: Because you have to worry about how your face looks when you're like, oh my god, I know.
Speaker 3: Yes, I notice.
Speaker 1: People comment sometimes on the real Oh but your face in that one, I can't remember what was said.
Speaker 2: Oh was the age gap if you were like because this woman said, twenty year age gap is acceptable.
Speaker 1: It is acceptable. Like, I mean it is, except I can't help my face.
Speaker 2: But again, I think when we think of age gaps, we're thinking of like the fifteen year old with a thirty five year old, you know, yeah, like something like that.
Speaker 3: And that's where I was like, Oh, there was this.
Speaker 1: Thing online recently where I saw this. They have this older man. I'm saying, like he's probably sixty five to sixty seven, and he's with what looks like Ohen. He's with like it looks like a twenty two to twenty five year old and they're like celebrating their love and like it's the age is just another.
Speaker 3: Together for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Well I literally was thinking yeah, right exactly, But then I was thinking the comments like I'm of course like my jaw drops and I'm getting judgy quick. And then then in the comments, it's like everybody's like that's so beautiful, like like acting like this is we've normalized.
Speaker 2: That's so funny because I always go to the comments once I see a video. I'm like and I have my thoughts yeah, and I'm like, what are everyone else's thoughts? And then I'm like, oh, they don't the either match or they don't they don't.
Speaker 1: For me, they don't almost they don't.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh wait, how am I looking at this wrong?
Speaker 1: Like if you're a sixty five year old man and he's let's say even he's thirty, let's say I got it here. That's I still think there's something kind of wrong with that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like there's that show Age of Attraction right now on Netflix, and I have watched that, and I felt a little creeped out when I just got well.
Speaker 3: There's a woman on there.
Speaker 2: I think she's like fifty five maybe, and she's with a guy who's like twenty eight, twenty seven, okay, and she has a son who's twenty nine.
Speaker 3: That's where I felt really creeped out.
Speaker 2: But I saw this thing that was like that the purpose of that show, like the underlying purpose is to normalize age gaps, like kind of like a like normal how everybody's kind of acting like Epstein's like no big deal, Like.
Speaker 1: Who says no big deal?
Speaker 3: The other side okay, the bubble I'm forgetting to say.
Speaker 2: That's why, like people are trying to sweep it under the rug. You know, people will be like, oh, well, she's sixteen as if that's.
Speaker 1: Like a sixteen is a baby.
Speaker 4: It is, dude.
Speaker 2: It blows my mind because yeah, sixteen is read write exactly my daughter's thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like yet not even on her radar.
Speaker 1: But why are in the comments everybody was like that's so beautiful.
Speaker 4: Like that's just it.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't know how I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say max age gap would be fifteen years. And if that's for someone who's over the age of thirty.
Speaker 1: You might be upsetting someone right now.
Speaker 2: I'm saying this with her in mind, because that's that's less than fifteen true, barely. I had to think if it was greater than an equal or less than Jesus.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's move on to Urban Pie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right. Okay.
Speaker 1: So, well, one thing is Urban Pie was in Bar Rescue, which we're so proud about, and I haven't seen the show yet, but I'm going to watch it with Urban Pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're showing it tonight. Yeah, okay, so maybe every night this weekend. They're showing it at eight o'clock this whole air after that. But Urban Pie is a little pizza restaurant in the Kirkwood neighborhood of Atlanta, super cute and lesbian owned. They had that TV show Bar Rescue come in and revamp the place yep, and does it looks super cool?
Speaker 1: And it does look super cool. So we're going to kick off takeover yeah, April twenty fifth. It starts at eight pm or seven pm one, I want to say eight, but I know it's early enough that like it's doable. It's doable for me who likes to be in bed by ten thirty. But we have a kick ass DJ. We're taking over the patio. It's going to be it's the last Saturday of the month. April twenty fifth. Definitely come out Urban Pie Kirkwood.
Speaker 4: We starts at.
Speaker 3: Really seven seven pm.
Speaker 1: And j Phoebe she's amazing. Yeah, I love how she dances during dude.
Speaker 3: She's fun to watch.
Speaker 1: She has fun to watch.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be a good time for sure, because y'all she'll like put the song on and then go out on the dance floor.
Speaker 1: Totally, so totally it's And then I'm sure the more I drink, I annoy the shit out of her with like putting my suggestions for the request.
Speaker 3: I DJ that one time and everybody's like up my nose.
Speaker 4: Like can you play this? Can you play this?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I don't have Wi Fi and I have to, like you have to download the songs and play them. It's not like everybody, I think thinks it's like a Spotify situation.
Speaker 1: There's like a couple though, hit that. I know this group so well now from Takeover. Oh yeah, there's a few like you gotta do gold Digger, you gotta do Whitney Houston.
Speaker 3: If you hit those, you're good.
Speaker 1: It's a great part.
Speaker 4: Solid.
Speaker 1: But it's like sometimes the DJs go off the menu and they try to do a little elect like dance.
Speaker 2: What do you call the dm Yeah, it's just sandstorm. I'm not getting out there.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that's ADM, right, I guess what's that? Can you?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, stop leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding. Okay, So you found our guests.
Speaker 2: I met them while I was visiting Texas and a lovely couple that has been together for what five years?
Speaker 3: Mary and Jennifer, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we decided we talk far too much about breakups and unhappiness that I needed a blended, happy, workout family seriously, and people actually do say that, They're like, does it ever work out? Because you guys, it seems like we always are talking about breaking up, so we want to know, like how you met, Like, give us a little background, give us first start where you came out, and then we'll talk about the Yeah, the meeting. Let's start with Jennifer.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I think our two stories are quite different.
Speaker 5: We just happened to collide at the same time in twenty twenty one. But yeah, mine was I had been in a twenty year marriage and you know, got married young and did the family thing, had a few kids, and after you know, waking up and reading Untamed and you know, having that life changing event, I just couldn't see the world the same and started reevaluating everything. And I in twenty twenty one decided to you know, upend everything and I asked my husband for a divorce and we started down that process with the kids.
Speaker 1: And how long does that take from untamed to six months building up your courage?
Speaker 4: Okay, oh, reading Untamed and courage weeks?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think I was probably real fast to get out of the gate and start trying to act out.
Speaker 4: Being with women.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was embarrassingly eager for that, if I'm honest, But it.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say that's not embarrassing everybody, is we all turn into like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh the total fourteen year old boy right away.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was real quick, and I you know, I think it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean, I think there was many reasons probably to part ways, and really it was just about trying to live my authentic life and be true to who I was. It was something that I think I touched in college and I didn't get to fully act out then and it just kind of set dormant. And I was like, I want to go revisit that, but outside of marriage, and so I did and asked for a divorce.
Speaker 4: We started that process.
Speaker 5: We did it in a collaborative way, which was really good for the kids, and so we co parent well. And then I started dating a woman and did that for about six months.
Speaker 4: But it was interesting.
Speaker 5: I felt like, rather than making myself fully available, I only wanted to date married women.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, with the idea being that I was very busy with my work.
Speaker 3: It was safe.
Speaker 4: It's very right.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant like you wanted the ones that were taken, but it was like a safety thing.
Speaker 4: No, I wanted them to be married to men. I wanted them.
Speaker 1: Did you know it like in your head you were doing that or was it like in after therapy you're like, wow, I was picking out available people because I really wasn't available yet.
Speaker 4: It was both. Yeah, I think I didn't want to be fully.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to be number one to anyone because I didn't have space for them to be a number one. I was busy with work, I was busy with my kids. I knew I had just blown up my family and I didn't have space for it. And I'm I didn't want someone wanting me more than I could want them.
Speaker 4: I needed them to be, you know, safely away.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How old was your youngest when you Denye? Okay, Yeah, So it was hard, but it was a safe thing. So the first relationship was very transactional and it worked great for what it was there to do. And then that you know, fizzled out and I I had a friend took a picture, one picture and she was like, you need to get on the apps, and so one night I did, and then I just got real lucky and met Mary.
Speaker 1: So wow, okay, so yeah tell us Mary, give us your background.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mine is a little messier, maybe lots of things that maybe wouldn't advise.
Speaker 1: So's you I love Wooden advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, this is what we need to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So like when I so, I was same, I was married. I was married for ten ten plus years, but say that relationship. We took ten years to get married, so we were together for like, oh I was married for what fourteen years?
Speaker 7: How you forget? This was about like twenty four year relationship.
Speaker 6: But when I was like twenty twenty one, twenty two, he was like, I think you're attracted to women that. Yeah, we weren't married at the time, but yeah, he pointed it out, and I was like, well yeah, but you know, there's just not anyone who's like she should explore that, you know, before we get married, before we have kids. I was like, oh, that just feels unsafe, right. I was like worried just physical safety. So I just never touched it. And then in twenty eighteen, I just like left job and I was kind of in a space where, like, you know, I just need to figure things out. And yeah, and I went to the gym, and I kept going to this one instructor's class and then one day I was like, you know, at academy, trying on cute workout outfits and I'm like, what am I doing?
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh, oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I went home and I told him.
Speaker 6: I was like, hey, remember that conversation we had back when I was twenty one, Like I found someone?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: I was like, well, why do you ask her out when you go to dinner? And I'm like, well, I don't want to go to dinner with her, that's not That's not what I'm thinking about. And so he's like, well, you're free, rein, and so we kind of that was the start of an open relationship for me.
Speaker 7: Like how but what.
Speaker 1: He wasn't threatened at all?
Speaker 6: He he wasn't, I think because we had talked about this and and I'll say from that time for like twenty one up till how old am I at that time forty two? He like very very open about being attracted to women, Like I mean, honestly, all I did was watch lest me important, Yeah, constantly, Like he was aware of this, so it wasn't a big surprise to him, and I think maybe kind of a relief that it was just like out there, and so he's like.
Speaker 7: Go, go pursue this.
Speaker 6: So my my pursuit was to go stand in the front row of this woman's classes for six months and just stare at.
Speaker 7: Her very embarrassing, made her comfortable.
Speaker 6: No, not at all super straight, And another friend in class was like, she's super straight, and like well, and and.
Speaker 7: My attitude at the time was like, it's all right, I will be persuasive. Like I just was so focused.
Speaker 6: I think, well, my dream job had just like I had been unemployed and then my dream job like fell out of the sky and I was like, I just have to ask for it and asked the universe for it.
Speaker 7: And I told him that and he was like, I don't think it works that way.
Speaker 6: So anyway, finally, after six months in that working, he's like, well, why are you get on the apps?
Speaker 7: So I did? He said this, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 6: No, no, you don't want a question, you don't want.
Speaker 7: To have him.
Speaker 6: So then we started sort of outlining what an open relationship would look like with me dating like dating, My rule was like no and the way I kind of justified it was I'm not a non monogamous person, highly monogamous.
Speaker 7: But and I will just.
Speaker 6: Put in there that this relationship should have ended. Of course, like six months into it. Having started, the relationship was not good. It's like pretty much a sexless marriage. So I think for him this was like a way to like reactivate all of that. So there were rules around, like if I had sex with a woman, then I had to come home and do the same thing, which was awful, but so there are lots of rules around that, like complete transparency, so he always knew like where you are stating yes, and so what felt good to me was not lying about it. Yeah, right, So there was never any like cheating, And initially I just figured I'd just be super transactional and so for two plus years I was on as many apps as I could get on, and I like, I was like constantly checking them and going on multiple dates a week and and that's like fascinating.
Speaker 7: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 7: I have lots of crazy dating stories. It was kind of awful.
Speaker 1: And were you like because like if I'm you, like, I remember when I came out, I was so excited about these women, but I would date that. It's like, I think then my husband would have gotten me. Never there'd be no weekend night I'd be home with them because I would want to be with my catalyst.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, luckily I had a kiddo, so she she was nine. I think when all that started about eight, yeah, eight to nine, and then eleven when we ended up getting divorced. But it's right, so I'm balancing kidd activities and like work and also totally yeah, and also like as you guys have talked about, like women are flaky. So it was so hard, like for so the six months I spent staring at her on the stage that didn't turn into anything, and then dating it took a very long time online before it materialized into it like anybody that I that would ever stick. Yeah, And so the first experience was like physically not very satisfying, but I'm like, oh, I will never not do this. I came home and said that, like, I am absolutely never not do this.
Speaker 7: But it never.
Speaker 6: It didn't occur to me because I hadn't done it. I hadn't executed on a divorce for twenty four years or twenty two years at that point It never occurred to me that like this was what was going to break it. I was like, oh, I can just I can just do this. I can be transactional with my men for a long time, and then over the two years, what I learned is I was always looking for something. I'm like, where is the connection? There's not enough connection with this person, Like Y person doesn't work for me. I'm going to move on because I'm looking for more.
Speaker 1: Like you're texting, like would it be like a relationship board and it's transactional? Is it literally I'm going to meet you Saturday night and sleep with you? Or was it like we're texting I'm excited.
Speaker 6: To see yeah, texting excited to see like dates like yeah, And I mean there were some people you know, went on like camping trips with and like you know, like slept over.
Speaker 1: And dream building. Maybe you would believe for them.
Speaker 4: Not without it.
Speaker 6: No, I got not with any not until I met not until I met you. But I like, so things had just gotten really awful and dating like I just felt it just felt empty, right, I was like, there there was a per Then I started to kind of develop feelings for and she was super avoidant and it was awful, and that started making me like reflect on what was going on at my marriage, like seeing the parallels there, and so I just took a pause like a stunt, like it was when January twenty twenty one, Yeah, started going to therapy and just took a long break. And it was kind of right when I had gotten back into dating when we met the same Yeah, I'm bumble.
Speaker 7: I saw your picture.
Speaker 6: You put like a very tiny picture I could barely see in very few words, and I always optimize.
Speaker 7: I put as many words and as many pictures.
Speaker 6: As I could possibly put. Yeah, But then you were just like such a good communicator, Like that was like that was so hard in dating is that people were like once you connected, then maybe they communicate, but then they disappear for days on end.
Speaker 7: You just so like a constant communication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like would be so hard.
Speaker 2: I think that's such a like a red flag like that people can tell early on but they.
Speaker 7: Don't pick up on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is like if someone's not responsive, they're not excited.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and actually you say red flag like after therapy, I and after that experience with that one woman, I literally had a list called avoidant red flags and then when I got back on dating, like any of those.
Speaker 3: I saw, I was like, why, yeah, good for you, that's smart.
Speaker 6: But then I also had an ideal girlfriend list because at the time, I'm still thinking I'm just still gonna ever, I'm just gonna have a girlfriend. But I want, like I have now said to my husband at the time, like I want to be in love with a woman.
Speaker 7: That's where I have gotten to.
Speaker 6: I want a life with a woman, not just but I didn't say not a lie different. So I'm still thinking I can do that in the context of his marriage where there's no sex anymore, and there's like no.
Speaker 3: And he's okay with this, he's not like dating.
Speaker 6: Or no, he's not dating, and he has said like I did not sign up to be a monk.
Speaker 7: That's fair, So then I would feel guilty.
Speaker 6: But but it just it felt so so wrong.
Speaker 2: Did I offer for him to be able to date, Like in the same similar SCENEY and I did.
Speaker 6: Get to the point and I was like, look, if what you need to do is date, fine, right, because my I had fallen out of love with him many many, many years ago. And I always tell you, like I used to stare out the kitchen window, and like, surely this is not what I'm supposed to be doing, not my life, Like I don't know how I ended up here, but here I am, but I didn't. I still was just doing it in the safe bubble of this open relationship and transactional I thought I could go just as just as far as like having a girlfriend who didn't date anybody else either.
Speaker 3: Story, no hold bar.
Speaker 5: And then we met for lunch and yeah, this is the eticenter of you know, I want my cake and eat it too, right, So yeah, we meet for lunch the first.
Speaker 1: Time, but had you been talking before, like texting?
Speaker 5: We did like a week of texting, right, and then it's like we both want to meet. I mean right, I came out of the gate like I have no complaints about the lesbian dating scene. I've I've done two for two purpose, right, and it's been great. And but yeah, meeting her, she she kind of came with the you know, I want heat, heat and warmth. And I'm like, you're talking.
Speaker 4: About you have a nice.
Speaker 1: Smile and use those words.
Speaker 5: M Yeah, yeah, she wants heat and warmth, and like, you know, I want to feel connection and like all I'm like I'm like, you're married.
Speaker 4: All I said I wanted was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and so anyway, but you know, she's going on on about being a flower and needing sunshine, hours of sunshine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then she's like she's like, well you can you know I'm dying.
Speaker 7: I am dying.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, She's like, well, she's like, you know I have a husband, you know, so if you want a boyfriend.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you're not reading the room right that business Like.
Speaker 5: I told her, I was like, you know, she's asking me, like she wanted to know how into women. I was right because I was kind of new to the scene. I'm like, it's intoxicating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 5: Will run through a burning buildings to get it. Yeah, that's just what I'm going to do. She's like, okay, you're a lesbian.
Speaker 4: Great that.
Speaker 5: But then she's like, if you can have a boyfriend. I'm just like looking at her.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, that was coming from like a physics, like super jealous right, Like I knew that, Like.
Speaker 3: You didn't want to say you can have another girl friend?
Speaker 7: No, it was absolutely that. It was like you cannot no other girls?
Speaker 1: But is this date one?
Speaker 7: This is date one, like.
Speaker 1: You guys are like getting your drinks? Are you leaving that date? Like we have whatever?
Speaker 4: You have to do?
Speaker 7: This kind of show.
Speaker 1: Like if I had a date with someone, I think, like I'm so cerebral and like I think I would be like texting Melissa under the table like dude called me.
Speaker 3: She'd be going to the bathroom so much. They'd be like she has a cocaine prop.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how did you just get to date number two after all this flower talk?
Speaker 5: Well, I was like like transaction, Like, I mean she's married, right, this is yeah, what is doing? Yeah, like she's tied up. Great, I'll see you next Tuesday. So we saw each other next Tuesday. I went to dinner and do.
Speaker 1: You guys see you next tuesday?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's next tuesday, next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then you go, but you go on the second date thinking I'm gonna get laid, like this is it? Okay, And you're going thinking I'm about to get water eight hours.
Speaker 6: But also, I mean I've been doing I started transactionally, like I was very clear from the beginning, like that is awesome going to happen. That's that's that's why I'm here and so that that did happen, and that was great, And then we both had two trips already planned.
Speaker 5: Right, I had, yeah, tell that I had a trip with my ex girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Thickens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, because she was married and we both had kids. She she was not being honest with her spouse, and so this is what she was married too. She had been married too. Yeah, this is my formula. Yeah, this is I'm not here to sell it. It's not it's not work. Yeah, but anyway, yeah, I know. I So her idea was that, hey, if we incorporate the kids on some of these trips, I can get away with a lot more. I was like, okay, again, I'm naive. I'm like new to all this, and I'm like one track mind, And can I ask.
Speaker 1: You one more thing? Because your mom like to me, like mom's like moms are like it's a hot thing to be a mom, but like it's unattractive if you're a bad mom. Like if I sense that, like you kind of aren't that good of a mom. I'm kind of you're like doing.
Speaker 2: A little bit too much to sacrifice yea thing with me, Like the kids are in a closet.
Speaker 1: The car, like, hey, we can bring these assholes along and then I.
Speaker 7: Can go on the trip.
Speaker 3: I've got Benadro.
Speaker 4: Melotona and I'll take care of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, was that but that you just you were in the transaction and we were transactional.
Speaker 4: She's a good person.
Speaker 5: She was a good mom, and we took the kids to go do fun things, like we went on trips and and then we had a great time and the kids had a good time and they played together. But interestingly, that's kind of where the relationship was ending and had ended, had ended, and it kind of overlaps with meeting Mary.
Speaker 4: So in that way I had to, you know, kind of wind things up with her and that then I was home free. But yeah, she was a good mom. It was all fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that reminds me a lot of like my first relationship because she was a mom too, and it was like it was this admirable thing about her because she had older kids and I was just like, man, she's such a good mom, and like I was going through it and she was like so helpful in that respect, and we were doing a lot of the whole like let's take the kids on a trip, like all these things, so I can see.
Speaker 3: How this was how it happened, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And also I think it's interesting too about you guys talking about the transactional thing, Like I'm wondering how common this is because the way you're describing it, I'm like this may I feel like this makes sense in my brain, Like if I go back to past, Melissa.
Speaker 1: Like you were picking people that well, No.
Speaker 2: I could see it being like, Okay, this gives me. I never looked at it this way, but I could see the way your view of it, you know, being like I can preserve my marriage, my kids are fine, the kids don't have to experience divorce exactly.
Speaker 3: I can do my thing. Yeah, I can have fun.
Speaker 7: It was absolutely, But she's also.
Speaker 1: Asking for something like connection, which is hard to get when you're half.
Speaker 7: In yes and the other people are half in yeah.
Speaker 6: And this is what you've said too, It's like you're surprised at it that Like I primarily dated, and I went on a ton of dates with women who were married to men right and in many and my requirement was that they were also open and honest with their husbands. Now fair, maybe they weren't all being truthful about that, but there is a there are a lot of people out there and it's say, it feels safer, right, Yes, you don't have to throw your life into up people and you and you feel like you're checking the box of what you need. But then for some of us, and for me, you start to realize, like, well, that is not the fundamental thing that I need and want, which is a full life of the woman. You can't get that in a transactional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there are a lot of people on the dating apps that want that. I think that's what they initially think that they want.
Speaker 3: Some of them do want that.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's fine, it's fulfilling. They're bisexual purely. But it's interesting to me because so often the times that I have been on the apps, I've noticed that it's like the man wants to be involved a husband, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Going to watch you know, like, were you seeing a lot of that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's some of that for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean with my husband at the time, he understood the right from the beginning.
Speaker 3: He wasn't like I get he would have loved.
Speaker 6: That to happen, and I shut that down immediately. That's that's not what this is about. This is for me and nobody that I dated ever had their husbands or male partners involved. But there were plenty of people that I connected with on the apps who were like, well, oh I did remember one day I showed up and she was like, I didn't want to tell you this because I didn't want to scare you off.
Speaker 7: I'm like, well that is not a good way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: My husband lives in North Carolina, but he wants to watch via video and I'm like hard.
Speaker 7: No, you know, I had to show.
Speaker 3: Up and be like, my dad is a serial killer.
Speaker 7: Like yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many other things that much rather you say, than my husband wants to watch.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean there's just a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Take us back to lunch, so then you're the lunch and you're leaving the lunch.
Speaker 6: Like, wow, she's awesome, she's amazing. Yes, she get I wrote down in my phone. I was like warm hugs, like warm, genuine hugs.
Speaker 3: Because you're a note taker, and I like.
Speaker 6: About her voice and all the things. I and I skipped home and I was like oh this is good. Yeah, and then we and then we just can from that night like right, like.
Speaker 4: Yes you yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So we had the two trips, I went off and then you went off. And but the conversation before that as we left, right like we had a couple of nights together one was pretty pivotal, and in that we we started realizing that maybe this wasn't gonna be able to just stay in transactional land. And and you asked me, you know, where do we see it's going? And I'm like, well, you have a capacity problem, yeah, totally. And so we did simple math for a bit and I and I said, no, I have I have full capacity.
Speaker 7: It's just like I don't. I don't understand that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I you know, I was trying to explain and I didn't have the words for it yet. Right like I had planned this trip. I'm going, I'm driving off to Arkansas by myself to go hiking like for a week. And We're talking on the phone like the whole seven hours, and I'm like, I want you like I and I have full room for that.
Speaker 7: You know, you just didn't understand that.
Speaker 6: But I don't understand that well because I and what I have come to understand right is that that trip was crucial for me. Right I had this space without you, my husband at the time, no kids. I'm like stuck in Arizona in an air maybe by myself, and I just thought a lot, and we talked all the time, and it just was like an unfolding.
Speaker 7: I was kind of like watching it happen.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 6: I tried to go back and find notes from that time, like maybe what I'd written my therapist or taken down for myself, and I didn't. I don't think I analyzed it so much as I just let it like unfold and feel. And I'm like, oh, I've been done with that relationship for so long. And the reason I was holding on was for my kiddo, Like I just could not bear right, this is my only and I just couldn't bear to break that up. And again my parents were both divorced, my parents parents, and like you know, we always just said right and so. But then I just couldn't I couldn't not see was what I was feeling was in front of me.
Speaker 1: Was that like over a course of like you guys have been talking for like months or was it like weeks.
Speaker 7: Two weeks, weeks, two weeks, maybe Okay, are.
Speaker 1: You starting to buy in or are you like.
Speaker 4: Whatever one I brought up right. I mean I'm an auditor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I didn't say that, but but I knew that your time process would would would be extensive. And I knew what you were about to go through because I had just gone through it, and I really you know, I came to you and I said, hey, if I need to back off, like, I don't want you making this decision for me because again because I've told you, I don't really have full capacity. That's why I wanted to date it ethically not monogamous woman, like the idea that that space exists out there. You know, we talk often about how lesbians can have like you know, if you're a gay man, you know, you'd go on a day with a girl, doesn't go well, and you end up putting up with a guy and like the girl, you'll never touch another girl again.
Speaker 4: That's just their path. Whereas a woman.
Speaker 5: Has like eighty off shoots and eighty renditions to be ethically non monogamous bisexual dating with benefits like all these different ways to be a lesbian or or live into that space where it whereas being a gay man's more binary and so for her, like I knew what I was meeting, but I didn't think that she would ever really jump over and live life as a lesbian.
Speaker 4: So I wasn't holding my breath. Okay.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good point though, because I think there is like a very defined difference between like someone who is fully like I am gay, this is it, yeah, and someone who is kind of teetering and because there's so many consequences that come with that decision.
Speaker 7: Yeah you're saying, yeah, kid, I mean yeah, of course.
Speaker 6: And both of us had grown up like in Texas not gay, right, Like.
Speaker 1: You weren't thinking you were bisexual at this point, you know, we thinking you were just staying for him, not really because you wanted to date other men. It was only women you explored.
Speaker 7: Only women I was ever going to explore.
Speaker 6: But I really, like was super hesitant to use the word lesbian, Like that wasn't until we had been together for the little bit, because I was like, well, I have to maintain that I'm bisexual because I'm married to a man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I've had this.
Speaker 6: Long relationship, and I really wrestled with that term today. Yeah, and now I fully embrace it, and I'm like, of course, I've been mean since I was born in and then you follow the trails back, right, would we call them like the little breadcrumbs? Yeah, you're like, oh yeah, And I was seven at that sleepover, like, oh.
Speaker 1: That college basket was.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But I do think that there is something to say, like to that lesbian label, not only it being like kind of uncomfortable, but also like I felt obligated to say it in a way the bisexual label of like honoring the relationship that I had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know there's.
Speaker 1: Something that stood up in front of the church everybody.
Speaker 2: And it's like I didn't know what I didn't know, yeah, and it's just like I want to honor that.
Speaker 3: But then at the same time, I'm like, that wasn't me.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think like once I did embrace it, I'm like, oh, I that was never me. I mean, you don't have a sexist marriage for no reason, right, Like I was not interested, very clearly non interested. And then I look back and I was like, oh, I was never really interested in boys. I was interested in.
Speaker 7: The attention for boys and like and wanting the connection. I love my baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: At one point as me, if I was with him.
Speaker 6: Only to get pregnant, I was like, oh, maybe I would have chosen so much.
Speaker 7: Better the case that in the other gym.
Speaker 6: Do you remember that one was like He's like, I've been basically a monk, Like can't you just be a nonpracticing lesbian?
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Boy, I can't do it.
Speaker 7: I will never.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then you get your so then you decide on this pivotal tripe you're gonna you can be a man. And at this point, are you like, all right, well call me when you leave him, or you like, what are you thinking?
Speaker 4: I show up for transactional Tuesday?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I just yeah, No, I mean it started appointment. Oh, I mean yeah, you start feeling the feels, right thin. I think as a woman, the idea that I was ever going to be able to be transactional fully was bullshit, right, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I'm female, right at the end of the day, I mean, and so I did.
Speaker 5: I started developing really strong feelings for you, and we just started building a concurrent life together, dating slowly. I think the only thing that prevented the U all from showing up was your marriage and right and and I'm thankful for that. Right we had these kids but to throttle for and and we were able to do that really well? And yeah, I mean it took like six months for your divorce to process, and that is quick.
Speaker 6: I made it real quick. I basically said sign here. He said, will you do it for me?
Speaker 7: And I said no, you're gonna have to put your name on that, and he did.
Speaker 6: But that was like, gosh, I mean I told him that I wanted to divorce. What's six weeks in? Yeah, six weeks in and then finally told my daughter like a couple days after Christmas.
Speaker 7: That was awful.
Speaker 1: That's horrible.
Speaker 7: That was awful.
Speaker 6: And then think that just got messy because he didn't. I just expected him to show up better. Like I understand you're disappointed with how this is, but can't you see like for many many reasons, not only am my gay, but this was never this wasn't a good relationship and let's let's be good, right, Like you guys are great at being co parents and amicable, and we just aren't, like we barely communicate now.
Speaker 7: And then it was just.
Speaker 5: Wild to me considered that's just wild to me, considering like how intimate y'all were along the way, and then the second, the second it flipped and I get it right, like losing your wife and the and the deal is going to make you close up. But the fact that you guys couldn't co parent, you know, and negotiate all that collaboratively was kind of shocking.
Speaker 4: I think that threw you in the process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I just fully expected him to show up kind of the way he always had in terms of open communication, like let's let's partner on this, but he collapsed and pulled my daughter in to kind of you know, so he it was that, yeah, And he presented himself as like the person who was always going to be there for her and she was his number one priority, I mean to this day. I mean he think he wrote something out that said I will never date well you were you know, not in college and you know.
Speaker 7: Still around, so never has and just a victim.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I mean it was it was so clear.
Speaker 6: I mean, I have ton of regrets in terms of that relationship, right, which I'd never started it, which I'd never continued it, and whish i'd ended a lot sooner, in which it hadn't been on top of right, Like, so my daughter had to hear about divorce.
Speaker 7: I mean she looked at me and said, it's Jennifer right.
Speaker 6: And because she knew how old was she at the time, she was eleven at a time. Yeah, and then and then that impacted Yeah soon Uber Frosty for I think.
Speaker 1: Also, I know about like the one child, three child dynamic, and I don't care how you play it, there is a difference. But this you probably hate this, But kids that don't have to negotiate because they're alone, They've never had to negotiate anything, whether there's four ice cubes in the cup, or my kids are getting knocked over, pummeled, tripped, their backpack is stolen and thrown across the yard, were fighting over Monopoly, like it's a constant negotiation.
Speaker 2: That's just there is like such a different dynamic, even just one kid versus two kids.
Speaker 3: My kids live an entirely different life.
Speaker 4: Totally kids.
Speaker 1: She comes over here and she's like, what.
Speaker 3: The fuck is My kids feel like they've been in a tornado?
Speaker 7: What was that?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: People are shouting on it, and it's just Also even just I remember playing games together and I would hear her son be like, I'm always I get the blue legos or like whatever, and he would think in his head, of course, I get the blue I've always gotten the blue because he never had to negotiate for the blue. Well, now you don't get the blue, dude, because there's three other kids that want blue, and it does of like, but he does actually get the blue. I'm like, no, not here he does. But I think, like I remember that that was like, oh, like I it would cause such stress and then it didn't and then it was like one day it just like stop. But that was hard.
Speaker 5: I think choosing to date women with children it has its own dynamic. Yeah, I mean you have to approach it differently, and I think one it throttles you. It totally does, right, But then once you get past that, I mean I.
Speaker 4: Think we did.
Speaker 5: We did a year of dating and then we you know, seeing each other when we could, and then after a year we started what we call a b We would go and parent my kids together for a week and then we would flip and go parent.
Speaker 1: That is so smart.
Speaker 6: It would like you pack up all the food and the refrigerator, pack up the dogs and all the animals, and like transport.
Speaker 2: It getting like time, just the two of you. In that case, you were both just full time press.
Speaker 1: How long then did it take to get it less icy with the daughter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what was good.
Speaker 5: About that scenario? Yeah, it allowed me to parent with her with her one child and develop that relationship where I'm not making my own children jealous. Yeah right, and just establish that. So we did that for a year and a half. And I mean, and that'll either.
Speaker 3: But that's really smart.
Speaker 5: It was great, right, And we lived forty miles apart, so it was like pick your shut up, move it, move in, right, We had an ice just we lived out of suitcases.
Speaker 4: We were burning at both ends.
Speaker 5: But it was that or rush something that would have been unhealthy and set us back even further, and we'd already combining.
Speaker 3: Those kids and doing that level of damage.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: For a year and a half, we sat there and parented the kids separately but like or together but separately.
Speaker 4: Right, and so we separate yeah, and then wend So.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we when we started at some point in AB we talked about C.
Speaker 7: We're like, we want C.
Speaker 6: We were looking towards C, which is going to be where we all move in somewhere together. So we were always aiming at having all the kids together. Right, we could have stayed on an off schedule and like.
Speaker 7: Write a staggered schedule, then you wouldn't be here. Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean we always say, right, they're downsides, like you miss your kids, right, that is the awful part of divorce, Like you never want to split the time and lose them for half that time.
Speaker 7: But we also every other week have a week yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're older now.
Speaker 7: They're older now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so yes, she defrosted and now she's like biggest fan.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: We joke that she is like your child probably in terms of.
Speaker 6: Just like you know, yah, the dynamic compatibility, right, you have.
Speaker 1: Boys or girls, girls and boys, girls and boys. Yeah, okay, so what's the is the girl closest to your girl?
Speaker 5: So the youngest to share a bathroom and that's been the only thing where they kind of had to step on one another when we got our sea house, right, like the young girls have to share the share one restroom and mine is awful about taking our long showers and her daughter is super tolerant of that, which I don't understand. I tell her, I'll take this door off if we'll get this movie.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, that could have been, right. They're what a year and a half apart, teenage girls that could have been really just like bad, but they're like besties. In fact, we were going back and looking through our messages from when we first heard about Asian chronicles.
Speaker 7: We found her my daughter calling your daughter her bestie.
Speaker 6: Right, so even though she was mad at you, she didn't take it on the kids.
Speaker 7: And so I think, yes, there was some adjusting.
Speaker 6: Right, she was an only and she will come in and she will be the only one talking and not realize everybody else wants to say something to like she.
Speaker 7: Had to learn how to be one of.
Speaker 1: Any but also as a mom, Like I don't know if this is true for you, but like I think it also forces you to see And me, I had to see things about my own kids that I didn't see, and she had to see things about him that she was like, God, he is kind of a deck like I'm so sorry my kids, like I was later, like I remember pulling Reid he was little aside and being.
Speaker 7: Like, please don't just one night, just.
Speaker 1: Stop being so rough, stop just for come, wrestle me down to the floor.
Speaker 2: He's the youngest, this is his opportunity. He's been waiting his whole life to be able to wrestle.
Speaker 3: The younger.
Speaker 1: You don't notice it about your own until something is put there that they are forced to contend with, and then you're like, god, damn you guys, you're making me look like ship right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think that the blending, right, there's like so many like pitfalls that can happen.
Speaker 4: In there and joys.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, it is like now it's cruises and vacations and we do have a good time together and they've defrosted.
Speaker 2: I'd say I think it also teaches the kids to to like be adaptable, you know, Like that's something like my ex husband has told my kids. He's like, you know, you're not gonna get along with everybody in your life, and they're gonna go to work and work with someone who really sucks, and this is teaching you to, you know, be able to roll with that. And I think that's like as much as it sucks to like learn that at a young age, it's so important and it's gonna really set them ahead like in life.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously we wouldn't have wanted to do this to them, but we had all of them in therapy very soon after all of this, and all of their therapists have said, yeah, resilience and the ability to adapt like and them, yeahships, yeah that if everything it's that is that we're modeling it. And even though like my ex husband can't show up like my daughter Like, so your ex husband took my daughter and all our kids to our wedding right with her, right and flew back with her and know like, oh yeah, I mean he's always over, not always, but he's over and she knows him, like and it gets to see this this wonderful like co parenting even though her dad can't do it. Yeah, she sees it like it's possible somebody else can. Somebody else can do that.
Speaker 1: And you wouldn't want your kids, like I always think about, I wouldn't have wanted them to stay in a relationship for being Yeah, Like that's such a growth moment they can look back on and think. You can always change your mind, Like I always tell mine that too. There's nothing you've done that you've got to You made your bed, you can always pivot. Yeah, there's no decision that hard that you can't swap it out.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean that was like the essence of Glennon. Right, you're Martyring for your kids. Yeah, if my kid was doing what what I was doing, I would be disappointed, right, and so, but how else can I expect her to do differently other than to model that for her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've also like recently come across I can't remember where we heard it, but this concept of the provisional self, and it is like your provisional self is up until somewhere thirties, forties, fifties, but it is it is going to evolve into something else, and there's likely to be a big mess as your provisional self is making way for your real.
Speaker 7: Self, your true self, your authentic self.
Speaker 6: So like that concept of like showing that to the kids, like it's not always pretty, it is is real messy, and y'all saw it and y'all felt it, but now you also see the other side and we I mean, they would probably throw it because they hear us say authenticity and true self and like, you know, all of that a genuine but it's provisional. Your provisional self is up until the big change, the big mess, and then you shed it. You shed your provisional self and you're It's kind of like what we talked.
Speaker 1: About earlier, which is that I had a therapist when I was coming out, and she said, every woman, no matter what, has a day of reckoning or a time period of reckoning where it's like you might be twenty, be forty, you might be eighty, but you will have a reckoning. And it's like she's like, you should be so thankful and celebrate that yours came at forty and not eighty. And it's kind of the same idea of like, you decide this isn't, I gotta change it up, and it is messy, You hurt people, you you're scared as shit. I mean there were times Melissa and I in the process, I remember saying to her, I'm not even sure I want to go through with it. I might change my mind. We're in the middle of the divorce and I'm thinking, I don't know that I even want to do it anymore.
Speaker 4: It's not for everyone.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: We have a friend right now that's going through the shutting and her provisional self, and you know, the whole time, we're saying, you know, you're in the middle, the messy middle, and you know there's a reason why people don't pull the trigger on what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, they will choose, they.
Speaker 5: Will choose the white knuckling and they will just hold hold the line. But you know, you have like you know, I had a medical scare in twenty twenty three, and I mean that was I opening and I was like, oh my god, here I just blew my life up two years ago. And I could have like im like thinking I'm gonna die in the next six months and I've been alone or yeah I did all this, and I could have just held the line, and I was like, not for one minute. Well, I I am so glad that I just spent the last two years blowing shut up for this feeling that I have now.
Speaker 4: But it's not for everyone. I know. There's a wimp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very true. Yeah, there's people in our group. We met in a group therapy for people coming out late, and they there were women in there that were like, I'm never leaving, like I just can't, like the price is too high for me, but I need support.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't know if you are open to speaking about having a child with special needs, because that was one of the situations in our group was that someone you know, was like, I gotta stay for that reason. So how have you managed that aspect?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I mean I think I think that's probably why I hung into marriage for so long. Was that idea concept that I couldn't do it a lot. But once you get over that and you realize, well, maybe I just have to or maybe we can do it in coparing way, which thankfully we do a very great job of that, you realize that honestly, it's easier as you get I mean, right, as long as both parents are going to show up. I mean, he's doing an amazing job right now at home with her, and I'm going to do amazing.
Speaker 4: Next week, and that is great. I think I am. Actually when we're on we are on.
Speaker 5: Seven days a week and with a special needs child, I would say that. You know, early on in dating Mary, I I did have to come along and just say, hey, here's my situation.
Speaker 4: It's not just me that you'd be dating. Right.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, like if this were ever to evolve into something more, my daughter's coming with me forever, and and that's you know, I mean, she's a saint for wanting to sign up for that. And you know I didn't choose this life. She did, and so you know, she gets the gold star. I don't, but that is a reality that it's it's an additional layer to a relationship that most people don't have to consider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think though anyone who I just said this to someone today where she is married to someone who really doesn't like her kids, like there's just too much angst with them, so now they're like living separately. But she's like, my partner is just like patiently waiting for the kids to be eighteen and gone. And I'm like, listen, pep, You're not gone at eighteen. They're not gone. Like I talk to mine more now. I going tomorrow to see them. I can't wait till when I'm older. They're home with their kids, their boyfriends, their girlfriends, We're dinnering, we're vacationing, like they aren't going anywhere. So to me, it's like they're more present, like mine are everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like going on a trip with my kids the past few days. Yeah, Like they're more fun now, like we had a blast together.
Speaker 1: Even if they're twenty five. I haven't been a.
Speaker 3: Few days at david Busters with my kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five years ago, I would have been like I would have been like you you were saying earlier, all like we.
Speaker 3: Gotta go, we gotta go. I had a blast. So it's like they get more fun is to get.
Speaker 1: Older and they get Yeah, I've taken mine like out with these guys to like parties and stuff because they're older now and it is like they're with me. They're rock and karaoke, rock and karaoke, like these guys are here to stay. So there is You're right, even if it's not special needs. Your kids are all of us are ye are here?
Speaker 4: We're here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I can say like I came from a small, quiet, little life, right we were we have like three introverts, right, and and it took a little bit of adjustment just from like well one like from the little things like cooking for like seven people. Then meet me all the activities and things and just like oh there's a lot more needs to attend to totally. And I feel like my daughter said it best, like one time she came home and all the other kids were doing something else. She's like, where's the party, And I'm like.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's it. Like for her, it is fun.
Speaker 6: She was she wasn't only, so they're all the perks of being only, but she's also only probably slings, so now she has Yeah, she has all these people.
Speaker 7: And like the nights we like the most are when it's probably Friday night. It's right, like they don't disappear. We have the teenagers who don't like go out and do anything.
Speaker 6: They want to hang out with us, and they seem to enjoy. Like sometimes we'll slip off, like let's just see how they do, and they're out there.
Speaker 1: Wow, they engaging.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, and that's awkward and they're teenagers and all that, but they like it. And I think that's like one of the biggest changes I've seen is like, oh, just embracing the like the bigness of a bigger family, like in the fullness of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like mine, mine wasn't as full and it's enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's very fun. That's a good place to wrap.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys thought was great. Thank you so much for coming all the way to Atlanta to come.
Speaker 4: On the pod.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely you Let's go get dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, e mail us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. Dot's Melissa M. E. L I. S. A and Ali A L l I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles