Speaker 1: It's with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks Nicole, welcome on back. I think you have a few days off well deserved. Nicole is the best as far as I'm concerned. Thank you so much. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. I have with me tonight a beautiful corky dog named Mustard who's maybe going to keep me company for a while here in the studio.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't say much, but he's awfully cute. He is awfully cute to any of you who are familiar with Corky's. But Mustard the corky, well, let me tell you, and what a great, great disposition. My daughter got him as a rescue dog about a year ago and he is just the best, simple as that. But uh, Mustard will be here. He had television. I can show you pictures of them, but we don't have that, so all I can do is get right to our first guest. Rob Brooks is in the control room as he is every night with me. Hello, Mustard, I want you all right, you sit right here. Okay, that's perfect, that's perfect with us is doctor ephrin Flores. He is a theoriatric radiologist at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Doctor Flores, welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Thank you for welcoming tonight. Pleasure and an honor to be here talking with you and everybody who's visiting to us.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. World Lung Cancer Day is what we're going to talk about, which comes up on August the first. But I guess only about six percent of Americans who are eligible for screenings actually get them. Now, most of us do all sorts of medical visits during the year. Why such a low number of lung cancer screenings and what does a lung cancer screening involve? Is it necessarily an X ray or is it something a little a little easier than an X ray?
Speaker 3: Well, now, thank you so much for asking the question. And the low participation rate is something that we always try to better understand from the patient perspective, and we think about providing care like a team support. Basically, the patient is their control of their health, and what we're trying is to support them along their journey to achieve better help. And when I think about lung cancer screening, which is done using a CT or a scan or what we call CAT scan more commonly, which is more advanced type of chess X ray or X ray or catscan of your lungs. It's to look for early detection like small lung nodules that may potentially be lung cancer early lung cancer. But those are are something that we look for patients that are at a higher risk of developing lung cancers. So the criteria for being eligibly ages fifty and older, people that have smoked the equivalent of one pack a day for twenty years or more. And those are and people that are either currently smoking or have quit within the past fifteen years. But we always tell patients that if they think that they potentially meet ability criteria or if they are uncertain, to have a conversation with their doctor because the most important thing is, like we see lung cancer screening with cash can as an opportunity to take control of your help for our patients.
Speaker 4: Either.
Speaker 3: We understand that some people may be currently smoking and it's hard to quit, so we don't have to have a patient that quits smoking in order to get long screening. We can certainly support them through that journey if they desire to quick because there are a lot of benefit that you get from from smoking and also from early detection of lung cancer. You get more options and what we want to work hand in hand with our patients to achieve their overall health goals and take control of their of their health through early detection.
Speaker 2: So a cat scan is uh, it's it's not an invasive procedure. You're I assume you're in one of those metal tubes. Was that the way that the cat scan would be done?
Speaker 3: Well, it's almost like I would say, I wouldn't say you are a fool too, but it's almost like a metal doughnuts because you go.
Speaker 2: In and out.
Speaker 3: Basically you take a deep resting and the actual image acquisition are getting the images takes Uh, it's shorter than me saying lung cancer squating. You take a few seconds. There's no needle, painless, very quick and easy. It's probably take more time filling out the paperwork to get their.
Speaker 5: Cap can that the actual cat can itself.
Speaker 2: Now, is is this covered by insurance or is there is there a that is the the cost that's prohibitive and that's discouraging people. What is it? Do you have to be a certain age in order to uh, you know, to be covered.
Speaker 3: So you have to it's away covered by insurance for both Medicaid and Medicare patients. These are cover no additional costs. And it's something that if you meet the criteria. If you're older than fifty and you smoke the equivalent of more than a pack or more a day for over twenty years, and you currently are smoking or have smoked and quit within the past fifteen years, you should you should be eligible and covered by your insurance. I think that some of the concerns is that we always think about the word cancer and we associate it with there has a lot of negative common patient.
Speaker 2: And understandably so, doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so. But there are many options for treatment for our patients, and that's the way way that patient will have more options to treat it and potentially cure it is through early detection and that where lung cancer screaming becomes an incredible tool that we want all patients to benef We want no patient left find.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people in my generation. I'm a baby boomer. We learned early on in nineteen sixty four before many of us had developed the habit. When the surge in general made the announcement that smoking causes lung cancer. There's a lot of us, including me. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, never had a desire to smoke a cigarette in my life. So I'm assuming if you were my doctor and I said, gay, just for the fun of it, I'd like to get a lung cancer screening. I'm not eligible.
Speaker 3: That incre You will not be eligible because would not be considered with what it seems to be a population of high risk. I know that there are other potential exposure factor BO those are not not yet covered by health insurance because the information on the research is not there yet.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you the smallest decision medically, decision that I made in my life. My dad had been a two pack of day smoker. I hated the smell of cigarette smoke and and I just had no interest in it. I was involved in a lot of sports and wanted We were told smoking stunted your growth, and I didn't want to have that impact on me. So that's that's. You know, a lot of vices out there, you know. I like my cores beer and my red wine and things like that, But cigarettes were never an attraction and if you if you qualify, talk to your own your your general care practitioner UH and see if if you qualify for this testing. Because it sounds like an easy test, non invasive, not unpleasant physically or anything like that. There's a lot of other tests that you know, colon oscopy's come to mind, which which can be not the not a fun day, but they're they're necessary as well. Doctor Flores, you explained it so well. Thank you so much for your time tonight, and thank you so much for what you do.
Speaker 3: Oh no, thank you so much. Pleasure of mine and really an honor to be here and thank you for a great evening and have a great risk of your show. Thank you so much again, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, doctor Flores. Thank you very much, Doctor Efrin Flores, thorriat thoracic thoracic radiologist at the Massachusetts General Hospital. When we get back, we're going to talk about a big lawsuit in Ohio dealing with bowlless chicken chicken wings. We're going to talk with Professor John Rizzby, he's a patent professor. This is a fun story, but it just shows how sometimes issues end up in court that probably shouldn't be in court. We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, before we get to our next guest, I want to remind you that if you're looking to do any any home exterior remodeling this summer or this fall, call Window World of Boston. Talk to my great friends Eric Renap. But do you want to get on the list. They're very popular. Purchasing windows and doors, siding and roofing can be an unpleasant experience. Don't wine until the snowflies. Crazy sales gimmicks, outrageous offers, and unreliable service. Don't fall for any of it. Do what I did. Call Window World of Boston today at seven eight one, six seven nine sixteen thirty your one stop shop for exterior home remodeling. Make improving your home's energy efficiency and curb appeal easy by choosing windows, doors, siding in roofing that best fit your budget and design needs, all backed by best in class warranties. Look give Window World a call seven eight one, six seven nine sixteen thirty for no money down financing at costs less than once you pay at a bank or Credit Union on your entire project, and you will enjoy it very quickly, and you will begin to enjoy it once you sign off and are completely satisfied. That's what's so great about this company. They want to do the work, but they want to do it to your specifications. Discover why so many of my friends and family members and myself all chose Window World, and we all remain very happy that we did. By the way, I challenge you to shop Window World against all the others. Go ahead, but you'll always come back to Window World of Boston. With their quality and their price, neither can be beat. Call Window World at seven eight one, six seven nine, sixteen thirty a visit Windoworld of Boston dot com. Window World the one and only official windows of the Boston Red Sox, a full service home exterior remodeler. Telling you this is the best company that you could possibly possibly deal with any form of home exterira remodeling. They'll come out, they give you a price, They're I'm going to give you a song and dance. They're not gonna hangle with you. They'll show you the product. They will do the job. They did it for me, They did it for my family members. They did it for good friends of mine and no one has ever been disappointed. This is one great company. Window World of Boston dot Com seven eighty one, six seven nine, sixteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm telling you Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. I also want to welcome back patent law professor John Risvey.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He has been with us before. Professor Risvey. Welcome back to Night sid How are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah good, It's always a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So this is the case of the boneless chicken wings that can have bones after all, and this got all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court. Are we wasting courtroom time on fun issues like this? Give us the background brief it for us, if you will, and let's have some fun with it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, yeah, sure. So the plaintiffs is an individual. His name is Michael Berkheimer, and he went to dinner with his wife and some friends at a restaurant in Ohio called Wings on Brookwood. He ordered boneless wings with garlic sauce, and three days later he had a fever. He was vomiting. He went to the emergency room and it turned out that he had a thin bone that tore his esophagus and caused an infection. So he sued claiming that the boneless wings were not boneless and there's a bone in them, and it sued for damages. So the court looked at this and they said that the basically common knowledge that chickens have bones, and that the reasonable consumer would not understand boneless to be one hundred boneless.
Speaker 2: So well, particularly with I am not a big chicken wing guy. Okay, I don't know that I've ever had a chicken wing for the very reason that I don't like to deal with anything that's bony. I mean in the sense that I don't I'm not interested in the turkey leg of Thanksgiving, thank you very much. If I'm going to have a chicken, I wanted to be a breasted chicken. Better if it's covered with parmesan cheese and tomato sauce. But no bones. This guy, obviously, you know, he suffered an injury, There's no doubt about it, and there probably was a relationship, as you said, with the injury that the dining at the restaurant. Is this a guy who was just out looking to you know, I guess he probably really honestly felt that that he was injured and that that somehow he had a legitimate cause of action. I guess for it to get to the Ohio State Supreme Court, you wonder why I wasn't laughed out of court below.
Speaker 4: Well, and you know, I've been looking at a lot of these cases. So when you look at them, you know, when you look at a lot of them, something up being more sympathetic than others. This is a case where the guy actually is suing for an injury case, a legitimate injury. Now, there's been all kinds of other cases, like you know, when does for example, when does you know if pistachio ice cream if it just has flavoring and no pistachios, Uh, that's a different you know. That's the case that was brought. There's a case, several cases brought against Starbucks because their mango dragonfruit has neither mango noragon fruit. It's just mango dragon fruit lemonade.
Speaker 3: Uh. And they you know, and they thought it was going to have that.
Speaker 4: There's also there's also uh gosha there. Uh. Like vanilla, for example, is when does vanilla just mean a flavor versus when is it an actual ingredient in the course of hell that vanilla is, uh, is a flavor. And then the tougher cases, so, okay, vanilla is just a flavor. What about something that's that's a strawberry, like a strawberry daker or something doesn't have to actually contain any strawberries or a strawberry, just a considered by consumers a flavor. So ultimately it comes down to what what do what does the reasonable consumer expect from, you know, from the.
Speaker 2: Reason the reasonable person standard that we all learned about in law school at some point. But you think, you tall, you think some of these cases over time. The one that I always intrigued me was the person who who's who spilled? I was at hot coffee from McDonald's. Uh. I think it was a woman in her lap and and she sued McDonald's. I think it was I'm pretty sure it was McDonald's.
Speaker 4: So it was McDonald's, and she sewed that the coffee was extraordinarily hot, uh, you know, and that that that almost became the that that case became the symbol for an outcry from people asking for reform, right saying that these lawsuits have gotten out of control.
Speaker 2: But but in that particular in that particular case, if her reasoning had been that led us and I think it was a drive through. If I'm not mistaken that if the stybrophoone cup had not had the cap put on properly, I could see that, and someone you know, took the coffee and put it in there, and then it was like it was a flaw in the cap. That would be a more legitimate argument, I think, well, potentially more legitimate argument than that the coffee was too hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again there's uh, there's this distinction though between people. There there's no question in that case that she was injured, and the same thing with this guy with the chicken, with no question that they're injured. The tougher ones are where they claimed they didn't get what they thought they were getting. There's a Nissan, the Nissan Frontier, uh was shown in an advertisement like basically driving almost driving up the side of a like a hill, like a dune buggy almost and and and they were sued. It was thrown out of court. But the person that suit claims that he was under the impression that the vehicle was able to maneuver like that. Uh, And who knows maybe that's why we see a lot of these car commercials with you know, with these disclaimers that pop up like you know, professional driver, closed course or whatever, so that people don't say that, you know, they thought that's what it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Taco Bell was.
Speaker 4: Sued because there someone actually took the posters and the advertisement showing the size of some of their uh, you know, food to be reflective, and there's lawsuit was that they didn't get what they thought they were getting. Those like that. Oh in this case, yeah, I remember now I was a Mexican pizza and they said the pizza that they received had a lot less fewer toppings than what was shown in the ad. Those that don't have as much sympathy for there's no there's no there's no personal injury. They didn't go to the hospital, they weren't burned, they weren't didn't get their esophagets cut. They simply didn't get what they assumed or thought they were getting. But of Chicken Wings, getting back to that, I know you're not a big fan, but there's a case where Buffalo Wild Wings, the restaurant was sued. The chain was sued by a man who said that the wings that they weren't wing meat, and that he thought chicken wings, boneless chicken wings, were boneless chicken winged meat, but instead it was breast meat. And you might say, okay, so if it's you know, what's the harm? How is he? How is he injured? He claims his injury or his harm or damages so to speak, was that that he paid that that wing meat is should be way more expensive than chicken breast meat. And his injury is that he overpaid because he wouldn't that he wouldn't have purchased the chicken wings, the boneless chicken wings, if he knew it was really breast chicken breast, he would have purchased nuggets and nuggets. He would have paid a lot less for chicken nuggets.
Speaker 2: Really, I hope, professor, that a lot of these cases of block pro say because I can't imagine who the lawyers are. Seriously, there's almost an abusive process argument here, frivolous claims in some respects in court. And I understand that there's a wide opportunity for people to go in and assert a claim, but oh man, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of these cases the defendants counter sue for legal fees sure, of course, asserting that the case is frivolous and that they should have their attorney fees covered because they had to go through and and and defend something that never should have been brought. Subway in fact, and I don't know if they were successful or not, but they saw it almost seven hundred thousand dollars in legal fees against a woman who claimed who sued claiming that their tuna subs did not contain tuna, so she brought the lawsuits, went quite a bit forward with it, and then withdrew. But even though she withdrew, Subway was like, hey, wait a minute, we've been harmed. We spent all this money defending something that shouldn't have been brought, and then it got a lot of negative publicity and a lot of our consumers started doubting whether to know was rail just because somebody brought a lawsuit. And sorry, you can't just say never mind, I would draw the suit, you know, never mind, just kitty kidding or whatever. No, you brought the lawsuit, We spent this money defending it. We were harmed, and they sued almost you know, suit her for seven hundred thousand dollars, and I don't know what the court ended up deciding.
Speaker 2: I might that did not have deep pockets.
Speaker 4: That that's the real worry that even if they win now, Subway may have brought the countersuit just for to recover their reputation right in front of their consumers.
Speaker 2: Professor, always a pleasure to I enjoy every time we get a chance to talk. And you're a font of information. I don't know how you keep all these cases in your head, Professor John Risby, the patent Professor, Thanks so much, professor. We'll talk again.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh, it's a pleasure. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Right back at you. Here we go, come, here comes the newscast, and I'm not going to be talking with Bill Dendy. He's a financial strategist. Seventy percent of parents this summer say back to school shopping is too expensive. I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised. We've had twenty percent inflation. We'll talk with Bill Deandy on the other side of the news break right here one night.
Speaker 1: Side night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everybody. School. I hate to say this. In July, school is right around the corner. I should have I should have said, look, if there are any teenagers listening, please get them away from the radio, or I need school children. This was always a bad time of year when when I was in school, because it was like, what is that?
Speaker 6: July's old Nick August, and it's back to school with us, as Bill Dendy, So the shock of going back to school is now not.
Speaker 2: Only impacting the students who are currently enjoying a summer vacation, but also the parents who are doing back to school shopping. Bill Dendy, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 7: How are you hey, You're exactly right.
Speaker 8: It's good to be with you.
Speaker 7: But you hear the parents now complaining and woesing as much as the students because everything costs so much more money, and the kids need the new shoes, they need the clothes, they need the backpack, they need the notebooks, and it's all costing like twenty five percent more than what it costs three years ago. And for people whose budgets are already kind of tight, this extra punch right here at the end of the summertime puts a lot of people into a little bit of debt and hope to get paid off by the holiday season to go back into dead again for the holidays and get that paid off by I don't know, a do it all over again.
Speaker 2: Well, then then you got to deal with Uncle Sam who wants to pick your pocket for some money on tax day. Oh, it's never un excited.
Speaker 8: Like we never get out. It seems like we're almost out and then they hit us again.
Speaker 2: Yeah and okay, so the wait is that now, First of all, there there were some important facts of life here. The kids who were going from the first to the second grade, or the second to the third, or the third to fourth grow every year and they grow out of the clothes that they could have born last year. So this is it isn't a question of why don't you just recycle the old clothes, because now you got to buy the kid's new clothes because you got to kind of keep up with the Joneses or whatever. But more importantly, you're got to have the kid wearing clothes to fit. So what's it cost? Is there the quote unquote average ca lost for one student going back to grammar school or worse yet, junior high school, or even worse yet where fashion becomes very important in high school. What are parents spending these days.
Speaker 7: Bill Well, parents on average spending two to three thousand dollars as a little bump in the budget as they get the supplies and get the clothing in the center.
Speaker 8: One kid, and yeah, a couple thousand dollars for the kid.
Speaker 7: Now, the supplies themselves, three hundred dollars is not beyond the expectation. It's the clothing and the other accessories that go along with it. And as they start packing the kids up to do high school in college, a lot of parents are throwing in the computers and other more expensive items, so that number can get quite high.
Speaker 8: But you know, as you say, it's not a surprise. We've been doing this for some time.
Speaker 7: We should know by now that these things happen. And it sure enough is proven out that those who do a little bit of plan pay a whole lot less for the same goodies as those who don't, because there are a lot of resources now to help us out, a lot of choices of where we go get these supplies, and those who will take the time to plot a course then oftentimes fay significantly less than those who just show up the day before school starts and says, what's the list, let's go get it all. So I think that the key here is that even these higher calls can be somewhat controlled with those who will take a little time to plan and to budget.
Speaker 2: Okay, so look, we know that inflation's are huge factor, as you said, twenty five percent up from you know, four or five years ago. But I also believe, and maybe I'm wrong here, but I also believe that the days of when well, I know, when I was again, I'm a baby boomer hand me downs. You know, your your older brother or your older sister wore those clothes two years ago. They didn't get thrown out. Particularly if your parents were born during the depression, it was no big problem. You would you wear the clothes that your brother or whatever your sister wore a couple of years before. I wonder if stylistically now kids have been because of the parents are just you know, it's an avalanche back to school ads, and the kids see the back to school ads and they want the latest, greatest type of cloth. You know, is that a fact?
Speaker 7: Parents surrendering?
Speaker 8: And truly you said it's so much better than I did. Go ahead, you know, you know we had we had bigger families too. I mean if you were the youngest kid, that.
Speaker 7: That clothing may have gone through three or four passes before you got it, and you might, you know, get lucky if it was totally worn out and you go get something new, but it was Families are smaller, hand me downs don't flow as well, and I and I don't think you need to do all that, but I do think that you need to be judicious at the dollars you spend and not go buy a T shirt for seventy dollars when the same T shirt is five dollars elsewhere because of a brand name. And I see a lot of the stealth wealth thinking coming about in these younger children, where it's got the sticker on it that only a few people would know that's a very expensive T shirt. It looks a whole lot like something else you get elsewhere, but it's got the right sticker on it. I think that that controlling those It's not even a it's not even a reasonable want. It's a desire to more than keep up with the joneses at a young age. I think people do better when they don't take the kids when they go shopping for the school supplies. I think I think with the clothing maybe, but for the school supplies in general.
Speaker 8: Get the list and keep to your list.
Speaker 7: Know what your real needs are there.
Speaker 3: Look at different.
Speaker 7: Places to shop, from the office supply stores to online shopping to some of the superstores that will take very little profits and school supplies just to get you into the store. And sometimes their deals are the best. And it's like a big game of chicken between the retailers and the consumers because the retailers don't want to get stuck with things on their shelves, but they don't want to lower the prices too fast and misprofit. But then again, if they do lower the prices now and they can sell some other things, that works too. So you might end up having a low price for these items here, but the much higher price for everything else. Okay, here's a question you're in comparison.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's a question. We all know about the after Christmas sale and after Halloween sale. You know, all the candy is cut in half. Should parents say that the kids, look, we'll get you the latest and greatest, but instead of getting it on September first, we're going to wait to September fifteenth. Is that a strategy than what parents should be thinking about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that is that game of chicken between you and the retailers because you kids and you kids, you might just be left with the door the Explore lunch box for your thirteen year old, and the door is no longer cool, so you might not have the selection. But yes, there are times, and there are certain staples that you know we're going to do almost every year that you can go ahead and bulk up on those in between the seasons and you don't have to do it all day one, especially in clothing because their level of grown other two inches for Christmas.
Speaker 2: The other thing which is interesting to me is I can understand where, you know, kids want to wear the jerseys of their famous sport, their favorite sports teams. Here in Boston, Red Sox T shirts are pretty cool because everybody's a Red Sox fan. But what I always love is there's a whole bunch of these big named clothing companies all like south Face. I'm just making a name up, you know, just maybe making up a name of a company self face, and you pay a lot for that clothes, for that type of clothing, but on the back of you know, in this hypothetical company that I'm referring to you will walk around as an invert, as an advertiser for that company every time you wear the piece of clothing you bought.
Speaker 7: If you get my drift, Well, it's been going on for generations now. I can remember the alligator when I was in school. You had to have the eyes odd and you're just advertising more alligators.
Speaker 5: But it's what we do, and it's it's it's.
Speaker 7: Worked for the retailers, it's worked for the fashion designers, and as a social status symbol, I guess it's worked for people as well. But it is interesting how those things come and go on popularity, and it is amazing to me the same product a couple of months later and behalf the price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I still have some of those alligators. Sure it's if I'm not mistake. Hey, Bill Dandy, thank you very much. As always, you enjoyed great guests. Thank you so much. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 7: God bless you always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Back at you so again. Parents, Maybe pick up on a little bit a couple of those tips and save yourself a few dollars. We get back and talk about there's a bunch of games going on in Paris. We're gonna learn about them. I think they're international games. They're called the words kind of have to pronounce called. They called the Olympics. We're going to talk about some New England athletes who have either some local roots or college dies as and some of whom I think have already won medal. So we're going to be talking with a mean Tory, Boston Globe multi platform editor and red producer right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Sight Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I think most of us know that the Olympics are going on in Paris. Okay, they could have been in Boston. Oh would have been great if they had been in Boston in twenty twenty four. I'm sure Boston could have handled it with us. Is a mean toy. She's a Boston Golale multi platform editor and web producer and mean Welcome to night Side. I guess we have about forty athletes in Paris this summer who have local roots or college ties or maybe professional sports ties to the greater Boston area. That's a pretty good showing, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me, Dan, Yeah, it's not bad. We've got a whole score of rowers, mostly from Harvard and Dartmouth and Brown. We've got some really impressive track athletes. We've obviously got some of the Celtics involved. We've got what seems like the entire Harvard fencing team. So yeah, I think we ended up with something like fifty one or fifty two athletes that we ended up with on our list of locals who were you know, some of them are native Vermonters that went to u H. Some of them are folks that just ended up going to Harvard or BU and some of them are you know, the Jason Tatum's and jew Holidays of the world that just called Boston home these days. So it's it's it's been cool to see people with with local ties on the biggest stage of it.
Speaker 2: Well, it was interesting. I was listening to a interview with Steve Kerr last night and I guess, uh, Tatum was a d n P coaches decision in the first game against Serbia, which to me it seems crazy. Well, Tatum would not have gotten some time out there that you know, curse and oh yeah, he'll play before before the tournament is over. I guess they have they have a tough game coming up against celt Sudan. I didn't even know there was a celt Susann Sudan. I knew there was a Sudan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's the it's the world's youngest country. I think it'll be became a country Circle of twenty eleven. So the more you know, I think I think it's a younger country than Lebron James's on Brownie. Yeah, you know that was That was definitely a big surprise around here. I think the the Twitter sphere went a bit nuts with it, and I think people were just mostly surprised to see so much playing time for Drew Holliday and Derek White, who are obviously not considered the big stars of the Celtics like Jason Tatum is, and for a guy that's made three consecutive you know, all NBA first teams, you'd think you'd be, you know, one of the first guys out there. But you know, I got to save him for South Sudan. I gotta save him for the Dator.
Speaker 2: So I I'd love to know what the point spread is on South Sudan. I can't think of any player who would be in the NBA from South Sudan.
Speaker 5: Think, well, you must have missed the exhibitions, because South Sudan was was one possession away from beating the US and the exhibitions last week of the week before, I think they were up fifteen at some point.
Speaker 3: So hey, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you if they if if the this collection of NBA All Stars were to lose to South Sudan, I just you know, I don't know. I mean, I have no idea what the population of South Sudan is, how prevalent basketball is there. But I'm going to have to do some research on that. The fencing teams from was at Harvard, they have, they have, you know, I guess some great fencing teams, and I think that if there's one young guy from Sherman, I think, is that Ethanowitz. Sorry, OK, I mean you just.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I was just saying that, you know, kids play soccer and Pop Warner and Little League and all of those, and you know basketball. But I mean, take up fencing at a young age and fall in love with this and you end up maybe on a medal stand and at the the Olympics.
Speaker 5: It's not bad, you know. Eli Derschwitz ended up he had a pretty rough go of it in Paris as he did in Tokyo. He went out i think in the round of thirty two yesterday in the in the men's saber, and you know, he won a world title in between those two things, but just couldn't piece it together at the Olympics. But some other members of that Harvard fencing team, in particular Lawrence Scruggs, you know, a rising senior at Harvard. I think she's twenty one years old from Queens, New York, and she won a silver medal in the in the women's spoil yesterday, which was, you know, absolutely remarkable to watch. And I think, you know, it hurts me to see people who are just you know, I'm twenty five, just four years younger than me, just winning Olympic silver medals. And she lost to Lee Kiefer, who is, you know, maybe the greatest American fencer of all time, who is also in medical school at the University of Kentucky. So some people are just accomplishing more than you and I are in this life, damp But that's okay.
Speaker 2: It's tough for us to deal with that. I got to tell you, I mean, I didn't realize that Eli was already out. I'm sad to hear that, because I mean, the Olympics just started. I mean to be out that quick.
Speaker 5: I did know it went by so quickly. Yeah, the fencing was like one of the very first events, and they go through it so fast like they It's kind of happens over like just two days right at the beginning, and you know, Loan Scruggs wasn't a round of sixteen match on Saturday, and suddenly she was in the final on Sunday afternoon. So it all moved, It all moved very very quickly.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The other the other disappointment for me is to see baseball being it was put in as an Olympic sport and now it's been taken out as an Olympic sport. If I'm not.
Speaker 3: Mistaken, Yeah, no, you're right.
Speaker 5: I think it's set to come back in twenty twenty eight, and it had been gone for a while, but it.
Speaker 7: Just seems it kind of hinges.
Speaker 5: On whether the Olympics are being played in the country that's interested in baseball. The Japanese, i think specifically asked for it to come back in twenty twenty or in twenty twenty one, and the same thing will happen in twenty twenty eight in Los Angeles. But yeah, I don't know, it's been such a yo yo. It's seeing, it's out, it's in, it's out. It just can't seem to kind of hold down a permanent, a permanent spot in the Olympics. For whatever reason. I'm glad that we have the World Baseball Classic back in our lives to have a little bit of fun international baseball. I thought that was fantastic last year. But it's also you know, it's tricky when it's happening in the middle of the Major League Baseball season and they're not going to release players in the way that city NHL does for the Olympics.
Speaker 3: So it's it's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then of course we could have it could have been. We could have had it here twenty in this year. I mean, they could have run the marathon like on Route three or something like that in the morning. What I mean they could they could They could have had you know, some the swimming events in the Muddy River. This would have been. It would have been think about what we missed A mean toy. You got a good sense of humor I like that. I like that, so love to have you back here. Thanks very much. You're a young guy and you're making your way with the Boston Globe. Someday you'll be the publisher. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, hang in there, he'll take Thank you, Dan, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: You having me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you having me with us a mean Tory. Thank you very much. All Right, we get back. We are going to get to the to the the issues of the day. Our senior Senator Elizabeth Warren is talking about a pathway to citizenship for eleven million migrants. I think that's going to cause some different points of view, and we'll talk about it on the other side of the nine o'clock News