Speaker 1: Probably the best tool you can develop is what I call the golden rule, take the fault and try the opposite, which sounds so mindumbingly simple to people that most people have never tried it. In fact, I get emails daily from people saying, you know what, I played years and I never tried just doing the opposite of my fault. I had a guy maybe a couple of days ago, said, I suffered with shanks for almost a year now, I was almost quitting the game. I'm a three handicap, and he said, I watched one of your social posts and it fixed it for me.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, today my guest is Adam Young from Adam Young Golf and he's in Las Vegas and welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Adam, nice to be on, always happy to check golf.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for taking the time to do it. So let's start a little bit talk about you know your background. You you grew up in Britain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so play golf in the rain and the wind constantly, got pretty good at that. Played a lot of links golf, which I know the Americans love and I hate the side of a Lynx golf.
Speaker 3: Wait, you hate lenks courses?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's I like very stable environments, so I like to know that if I hit a good shot, it's going to be out a good outcome. In Links, there's a lot of luck involved. You've got to get the right bounce, you've got to I mean obviously if you if you play really well, you're going to get good outcomes as well, but there's more, there's more luck to it. I prefer Parkland, point and shoot style golf, but yeah, it's nice to get a good mix. I probably appreciate a Links course now after not seeing one for many years.
Speaker 3: Right, right, So how old are you when you started playing?
Speaker 1: Quite late actually, as I was fifteen, very analytical kid, so I just get a bunch of books out of the library and start learning golf that way. So my first books were like led Better and fal Though, so it was all a position based and my brain just matches onto that completely. So anything that's like mechanical and it's like if you do this, you will get this. I love that, but unfortunately I found that it was chasing my tail for a.
Speaker 2: Yes, So now did you were you kind of self taught before you started reading those books or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well those books taught me so it wasn't a lot of self teaching. I was hitting balls on the football field soccer field for quite some time, and then when I felt ready, I went out on the golf course and I think my first, yeah, my first round of golf, I shot three over par on a nine whole course. It was easy. But my friend who I was playing with had played for years and his best was forty five around there, nineteen over pa. And he was like, I can't believe you just did that. And I was like, I'm hooked. Now, I'm in on this. And it took me a while to do anything like that again, but yeah, that really was a hooking situation for me. It really latched me on the golf.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, no, I mean so that.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many people talk, guys for pros talk about how oh yeah, you know, it took me, you know, nine months, and I was, you know, a three handicap or you know, a scratch golfer, and the rest of us have been slaving away our entire lives to shoot the forty five on the nine. So what's I mean I've other than talent and drive? Is there something else in there?
Speaker 1: The kind of practice obsession I think that I when I started golf, I just I wanted everything to absolve everything about it. I was drawing lines on the television for Tiger Woods is Swing, analyzing it. I was reading all these books. I was videoing my swing as a fifteen year old and we didn't have iPhones back then. My dad's video camera, our JBC video camera, and you know, record it and then run back into the house and have a look at it and then come back out again. It was. It was crazy, but I absolutely loved it. Any any moment there was light, I would head down to the football field and hit balls until it was dark and then come home and just repeat. On summer's my parents would drop me off at the golf course at seven in the morning and pick me up at when it was dark at ten at night. In Britain, it gets dark, right, was constantly, so I think it's just obsession. And when I wasn't playing, I was thinking about it as well. I was writing stats like fairways, greens. I was going through imaginary rounds of golf in my head with a notebook, saying, oh I'd done that differently, I would have scored this. Then I'd write down predicted scores like, oh, if I play, if maybe in three years time, when I hit it farther, I would imagine and like hitting to these different spots. Yeah, now I'm saying it out loud. I sound like a crazy person, but absolutely crazy for golf. And I think when we talk about practice, we often don't talk about the mental part of it, like the rehearsing of swings in your head, you know, just imagining being on the golf course and playing the rounds of golf. Those don't get logged as practice hours, but I believe they they have something to do with improving as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, talk a little bit about that kind of mental side of of game improvement, you know, not just on course, but you know, off the course, like when you're thinking about it.
Speaker 1: That's not my area of expertise. I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: I know what you're saying. You're saying that you thought you know that was helpful, right, I mean, is that I think?
Speaker 1: So? I mean I can't see I was it was harmful. I mean, if I have the choice, if I've got an hour of practice, I'm going to do physical practice over over mental practice. But when I couldn't practice physically, I would be mentally doing it just thinking about the game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. And I think it's interesting. I did find the old books, and I had books book after book. Book is proper crazy stuff, predicted rounds of twelve, like best case scenario, current scenarios, and everything in between. And what's interesting is, I'm sure you've heard of a vision board, just like writing down a vision board. I've achieved those things. So my best case scenario is things like, oh, imagine if I hit the ball two hundred and sixty yards and my seven nine goes one hundred and seventy yards, which was crazy at the time when I was writing it, But now all those things have come true. And you know, I play, I think off a plus two right now. I've been as low as a plus five momentarily. But yeah, these things, you know, you surpass where you think you're going to get to as well.
Speaker 2: Now, so when did you, I mean, did you immediately know this is what you wanted to do with your life? You know, since you're thinking about it all the time, were you like, I'm this is it?
Speaker 3: Or was it just an obsession at the time?
Speaker 1: Interestingly to me, yeah, when I started golf. Probably about a year in I'm like, I want to be a teacher. I didn't even think of playing the game professionally. I watched them. It didn't occur to me, Oh, maybe I could be like like them and play. I don't know why I don't. I didn't dream big enough as a kid, but I loved the mechanical side and the problem solving side of it so much that it was always like, oh, this is my dream job. And I used to watch my local professional he come in. He'd have a completely flexible schedule. He'd come in and just like, I'm going to cross these hours off, and I'm like, this is the life. I want flexible hours. He was earning what I thought at the time was a ton of money as well, and this is this is the life for me. And so yeah, that's kind of where I set my brain is, Okay, I'm going to become a coach. Now.
Speaker 3: Well, at most people, I mean most people who become.
Speaker 2: Coaches at one point aspired to be players, right, I mean that's yeah, and that so did you I mean did you enjoy the competition when did you play competition a lot when you were a kid and stuff, or did you just love the game.
Speaker 1: Not really because because I started at fifteen, by the time I was eighteen, I was I got to scratch ish. Then I think it is too handicap, and that was the point where you could start to enter these bigger tournaments. But by that time I kind of burned out a little bit. On the playing side, I mean, we can't talk about that. A lot of that was to how I was trying to learn golf. I was trying to learn it purely mechanically, mechanically, so you know, I was putting myself into positions and not understanding why if my swing was looking better, why am I not playing better? Why am I not scoring better? So there was there was a big level of frustration at that point because it's like, well, I'm putting all this hard work in my swing is looking exactly like everybody says it should look, and I'm hitting it worse, so why and no one can explain to me why, and so it's hugely frustrating. Caused me to burn out a little bit. On the competition side, I didn't enjoy it. I still to this day don't really enjoy competition that much. I love just going out on my own problem solving, figuring it out, competition against myself, trying to improve my own stats, my own game. I love that side of it, right when I'm competing against others and there's a level of lack of control over it. You know, you can't shoot, you can't control whether someone else goes out and shoots a ten. Underpart my brain doesn't like those things as much. And so I mean, I like a little bit competition. When I go out with the boys, is like, all right, let's play for five bucks, let's make something out of it, and that's enough for me to get, you know, inspired. But you know, once we stop playing for big money, I'm like, I'm not enjoying this now because you hit a good shot and it's like, okay, I should do that. You hit a bad shot, and then you get upset because it's like it means, it means so much, and it's just I know a lot of people will be like, Okay, that's that's weird to not enjoy competition, and.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's weird at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, you know, because it really I mean, you know, I mean, there's so many reasons to beat yourselfself up on a golf course that like, I don't need another.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you know, like and I love playing.
Speaker 2: I like playing with my friends, and I don't mind playing competition with them.
Speaker 3: But I mostly I just like.
Speaker 2: Playing, you know, I just like you know, the playing playing the game, and like you said, playing against yourself, playing against the course, like that's enough for me most days.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, you all want to play better, right, we all want to hit well, enjoy the game, so they is, there's still motivation to improve, but going out and saying, right, I want to beat these people. And it's like if I play, if I play poorly and win against someone, I have no that that doesn't do anything for me. But if I play really well and I'm just playing on my own, I go off a very happy person, like even if I don't win anything as a result of it. So it's more about playing well for me.
Speaker 2: And I think you know, to be in competition, I mean, I think you have to be wired for that too, right, I mean that has.
Speaker 3: To be something you like.
Speaker 2: You know, you just have to love going out there and not just playing the game, but like testing yourself against Yeah, I mean, if you're on the pjatur. I mean, I can't imagine, you know, having all those people there.
Speaker 1: It makes me sick to my something to think about the pressure they go through. And yeah, it's it's not something that you look at most tall players and do they really enjoy what doing a lot of them?
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question. Well, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: There was a book and this is kind of getting off track, but there was a book about a fromer NBA player wrote and he said, you know that the difference between a great NBA team and a bad NBA team, or the six guys who aren't the starters and the sixth man, he goes because those guys don't love basketball. He said, they are just really frigging good at basketball, and they're built for it, and it's a job. And there's got to be guys on tour for are so good. You know that it's probably you know, it's a great way to make a living, right if you're good enough. But they might they might be like, oh my god, this is killing me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean even this year I decided, you know, I'm going to try and improve my game because last year I was a plus two and I barely played. I played once a week, maybe practice once every two weeks. My putting was horrible. So it sparked in my head. I'm like, I wonder how good I could be if I picked up twenty yards, which is really low hanging fruit for me, and we actually practiced every day and improve my putting. So I started a kind of a mini project at the start of the year. And you know what, the first three months of this year, I hated I hated it, but I had a lot of frustration because now you set this target, you set this goal, and so anytime you make a bogie or something, it's it was really frustrating because it's like that set me back from my goal. Now. So there's this balance. I mean we kind of I am very much a goal setter in life and in golf. I think we need we need those to drive us. We also have to monitor it and see how it's affecting our motivation, how it's affecting our happiness, because ultimately, what was the goal of golf for a pro It's I need to play good. Happiness is not a relevant factor really if if it's not, if it's a byproduct, are playing good? Great? But you know, for me, I want to enjoy my game, and so I have to balance those things a little bit.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk a little bit now, whose swings did you admire him? And obviously failed os probably because you're studying him, right, But what were the swings you you know you really admired and that you based your years.
Speaker 1: On Tiger pretty much Tiger he was dominating. I started when Tiger was dominating, like two thousand and two thousand and one, so you know, just watching that in action, watching him win tournaments by twelve shots. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't realize how special that was, Like that didn't happen these days, winning by what are you in the US Open by fifteen shots?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? It was like, yeah, it was fifteen strugs or something like that, and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was very inspiring to me. So and you know, his swing mechanics were beautiful, symmetrical, powerful, athletic. This is everything about him is like, Okay, that's the model. And so that's why I based my my my improvement on And you know, I would do things like make make swings and in the reflection of the window, forcing myself into positions. I even created belts that I could wrap around my arms because I had a flying right elbow and Tiger's elbow is down a little bit. I realized he had a different physical makeup to me, and I ended up tearing my rod cuff trying to force myself into positions.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, that's why I Yeah. I for a while was like going, like, God, why can't I get it back? Like you know, like Sam Sneid, And I'm like, well, of course, you know, he's got the most the most flexible human things. But in some part of my brain, I'm like, oh, I should be able to do that.
Speaker 3: He can do that.
Speaker 2: Talk so talk a little bit about how you can develop your teaching method along the way.
Speaker 3: You know, what were some of the things.
Speaker 1: I Yes, I'm you know, just like most most things in life, the bad things that happened to you end up being the good things, right, whether you can link them to the good things in the future. And so, you know, the frustration that I had with the way modern instruction was and how you're taught to improve, you know, just work on your mechanics, put your swing into positions, and you'll get better. My frustration with that led me to the epiphany that Okay, impact is what matters. So you know, I like very definite things. I like someone to say, if you do this, you will get this, And these definits can only really be found in the impact interval. So the impact interval is basically the half inch zero point seventy five of an inch where the club is connected to the ball and during that time, the ball basically receives all this information from the club head and it determines where it flies based on that. So there are things like where did you strike it on the face. There's ground contact, so did you hit the ground early, not at all, or too far in front? There's face direction, so which orientation is the face pointing more left or more right? There's the path the club is moving, so is the club moving out in or left or right? There's the vertical path as well, which you call attack angle. So is it like an airplane coming in? Is it traveling down steeply crash landing, or is it very soft touching or is it actually taking off and going up as it hits the ball, which is not a good idea if you're trying to hit the ball off the ground. And then there's a dynamic loft as well, So how much people know what loft is, but how much is applied at impact. So the last one I didn't mention was speed, how fast that clubhead is moving at impact. So those are seven impact factors and they determine the outcome of the shot. So whenever someone comes to me for a lesson and they say, well I'm having a problem with this my ball is doing this, instantly I can link it to Okay, well what's happening in these seven areas or whittle it down to maybe one or two of those areas, and then we would focus on that in the lesson.
Speaker 2: What do people what are the I mean, are there two areas or three areas that come up most of the time as opposed.
Speaker 3: To the others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost every mistake a golfer will make. So like a poet, every mistake golf is in ground contact. Golfers often hit the ground too early or not at all, so fat or thin to ground contact errors account for a lot face contact errors, So too much toe or heel, although that that's getting less of an issue with modern clubs. They're so forgiving these days. I mean, it can be the cause of missing a green if it happens too extremely So we hit a toe shank or a heel shank, it's going to shoot off ninety degrees to the right, So you got to watch out for the extremes with that. But yeah, ground contact and face contact are two biggies. In fact, I can lump those two things into one thing.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 1: I can say ground contact location, and basically if someone's hitting the ground too far away from them or too close to them, that relates to face contact. And if they're hitting the ground too far behind, too far in front, or not at all, that relates to the thin or the fats. So really one one thing where you're hitting the ground is probably sixty seventy percent of the equation. The other twenty or so percent is face orientation at impact, and then whatever's left ten percent or so is kind of optimizing path, attack angle, dynamic loft, things like that, And people put a lot of stock in that last ten percent, Like most golfers are so obsessed with their club path, and it's like for most golfers, it's more of an optimization factor. It's not the it's not the reason why they're a bad golfer.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, yeah, it's I mean, I've had this thing lately.
Speaker 3: It's probably a terrible thing. You can tell me yes or no. Where I gave.
Speaker 2: Up trying to have any like I when I go into my back swing, I don't ever even think about where it's going because I'm just I just have faith that it's coming back in the position. It doesn't always come back in the position, right, but I do a lot better getting squared impact when I'm not giving any thought to where it's going back to, you know. And for a while it was kind of nerve wracking because I was like, I don't know where the hell I'm going with this thing. But now, you know, I feel like it's just, you know, it keeps me out of having another swing thought.
Speaker 1: And you because you've been taught all your lie O, all your golfing life that you need to have a certain position in the back swing, right, and that's just not true. You know, if you look at some of the best plays, and we'll call him Mongomery takes it outside the line, Matt Wolf took it outside the line. I take it outside the line. Miller Baba took it take it outside. I've got I've got a bunch of these as files and pictures of golfers who take it outside the line and golfers who whip the club inside, like John Ray, Floyd Nancy Lopez, and there's just a ton of them. You see it less often now because more not because it makes you a better golfer to take it back a certain way. But everybody who is a good golfer right now has had some form of instruction, almost everybody, and the instruction is usually take it away a certain way. So people mix up correlation and causation, right. They think, oh, all the good golfers have a certain takeaway, therefore putting me in a certain takeaway is going to make me a better golfer. It's like, no, it's a correlation. The reason why those good golfers have good takeaways is because they got taught that. If no one knew anything about what an optimal takeaway is. And by the way, I'm joking when I say optimal, there's no But if no one knew. If you just got a bunch of golfers hitting balls on a desert island and they had no contact with the world, no understanding of what a good golf spring look like, you'd see a bunch of great golfers emerge, but they'd all have different takeaways. Very few. You'd have far few people with these textbook looking takeaways. And I used to see this actually when I worked at IMG academies. You'd see kids from South America who had had learned golf themselves and they weren't they weren't formally instructed, but they were really good at the game. And they'd often get like mini scholarships to come over, and they'd all look like Jim Furick or Matt Wolf or you know, they'd all have these quirky movements in their swings, but they could they could break par they could shape it anyway you wanted them to. But their swings didn't look textbook. And so that, you know, that was a big highlighting moment for me as well. And oftentimes when you made these swings more textbook, they didn't play well, they didn't play better.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Well, so how do you approach a student from that perspective, because you're obviously getting a lot of different looking swings. Everybody does not look just like all the guys on tour, who all look within a certain bandwidth you know of swing, you know, and we're all trying to imitate them, which is never going to happen, at least for me. And and but we're all we all think that's the model, and we all come at wide up with a million different swings.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So what how do.
Speaker 2: You teach people who are coming at you with all these different issues, you know, or different types of swags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the first thing I do is I look at what's causing them the biggest issue with their outcomes. And again, most of that could be tied to how is their ground contact, how is their face contact, and how is their face direction? Because the thing is if you get those three to be better, the result is absolutely guaranteed to be better. And so when a player comes to me and they say, well, I'm missing everything right, So okay, even without looking at this swing, I know, okay, they is too open to the path. Like yeah, people could say, oh, their path is off as well. It's like no, if you get the face closed enough to the path or less open to the bath in the slices case, the ball will land on the target. It may be a fade onto the target in the slices example. So you know someone's like slicing it off to the right. You close the face enough, it turns into a nice powerful fade that goes on the target. Now, could we turn that player into a drawer of the ball. Yes, we could, but we don't have to necessarily. We just have to get the ball on the target, and plenty of pros fade the ball or in most cases, if you know, if they're above a five ten handicap, almost always it's a face strike and or a ground contact issue. And so I'm just looking at patterns there. Almost everybody has a pattern as well. So if the average golfer hits ten twenty balls, I can say to that person will on average, you're hitting it about it an inch fat. If we move that ground contact an inch farther forwards, this will happen to the outcome. You'll get better distance control, better distance, and even more accuracy for free as well, because usually when we hit the ground earlier, it also affects the face angle, so it can it can make less consistency with direction as well.
Speaker 2: Now I okay, Now I can only give myself as an example, but I barely touch the ground, okay, Like I just graze it, like I never leave at which I know is bad, right, I'm supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not necessarily. You can. You can be a clipper of the golf ball and be a pretty good golfer. What I would do with you is I would look at vertical strike. So you can spray the club with doctor Schall's foot spray, so that allows us ho and heal contact. So basically you give it a quick spray doctor Chall's foot spray or dry shampoo something like that leaves a nice little white dusting on the face and then when you hit a ball, it leaves an imprint of the ball. You can see toll heel, which tells us you know, to a heel the vertical contact. If it's too low on the face, it's obviously too high on the face is fat. If you hit it too high in the face. The only way to do that is to hit the ground early. So if you can manage to hit usually it's about between groove three and five, so we shoot for the fourth groove. If you can hit that, then you're golden. So that that's a replacement for ground contact. Vertical okay contact for those of us who are pickers of the golf ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I always try to I literally am like, Okay, I'm just gonna hit so down on this, I'm going to hit you know, I'm gonna take some you know, a little ground when I and then and it just screws me up, like unbelievably so. But I like the idea of putting this stuff out and seeing which groove, which groove you're hitting on? Now, how I just talk a little bit about how people learn differently, right, because that's a big part of how you teach, right, It's based on learning patterns, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean there are different ways of The predominant way of learning golf is what through what we call an internal focus of attention. So that's that's what they call it in the mode of learning science. Internal focus of attention is basically when you think about what your body parts are doing. If you ask one hundred golfers on the range, what are your swing thoughts, the answers you'll get back are thinking about my weight shift, which is an internal thought. I'm thinking about my head position, which is an internal thought. I'm thinking about my right elbow position, my lead wrist, I'm thinking about my shoulder turn. All of these are body part focuses. Now, you ask that player what do you think of when you throw a ball into a bucket, or you just say them, you just say to them, or throw me your keys and they'll throw they'll throw your keys and you say what what do you think about doing that? And they say, well, it's just just trying to get it in your hand. That's classed as an external focus of attention. It's outside of your body. I would class as an external result focus. So you're thinking about the end result. So a golf version of that would be thinking about the where the ball is finishing, or the shape of the ball, the trajectory of the ball, and so Yeah. Traditionally golf has always been taught. I would say ninety nine percent of lessons are all internal. Very few lessons are externally focused. We actually in golf we have an intermediate step I call this external process. External process is basically what is the club doing? What is the club head doing specifically through impact. So for example of this would be if I ask a player to brush the grass, and then I say can you brush the top of the grass, can you brush the middle of the grass, can you brush the base of the grass. That's an external process result. So it's not quite You're not quite thinking about what you want the ball to do. You're thinking about what you want the tool to do. And so these external focuses are I know this is not really a good definition, but more natural. The way I would say that is that's how we learn almost everything. That's how we learn to pick up a glass of water. It's how we learn to throw a ball towards someone. It's how we learn to right. You don't learn the right by okay, I need to bend my wrist thirteen degrees this way. I need to keep pressure on this finger. I mean, at some point you think may be a part of that. We don't learn to walk by okay. I need to bend my leg this way. I need to swing this arm when my I need to swing my left arm where my right foot is going forwards. We just we make mistakes, right, We just watch someone, we copy it, and we make mistakes, and our body does what we call self organizes. It figures out the movement patterns needed to achieve the task. And it's not to say that external sorry, it's not to say that internal focuses are bad. It's just that typically we don't learn most everyday tasks that way. Yet golf we spend all our time, well most golfers spend all our time learning that way. And there's scientifically, it's been studied quite a lot, the difference between internal and external. And while I think there are some flaws in the studies, I think more research is needed. The studies are pretty solidly on external focuses winning. So if you give a hundred golfers and you see I want you to focus on shoulder turn, and you give another hundred golfers saying I want you to focus on brushing the grass, the grass brushers will win out in terms of how quick they learn, how fast they retain that learning, or you know, how much it is retained over the course of sessions. How refers to real life situations like you put them on the golf course, so pressure situations, it maintains a lot better. And I've done some of these studies myself as well with with beginners with chipping, for example, I would set up a scenario where they have to chip over a bunker or to do a little pitch over a bunker, and I would ask these golfers, all right, I want you to focus on getting the ball up in the air and landing on this spot. So it's a very externally focused external result focus. It's like where I want the ball to go. Then i'd ask the second set of golfers, I want you to focus on brushing the grass as close to the ball as you can, so all your focus is on that. And then ask a third set of golfers to I want you to focus on keeping your weight on your left side and like not getting your wrists to break down. You know, it's the typical of what most golfers. The weight is on their back foot and they're trying to scoop it in the air. So more internally focused. So we actually test in three different types internal external pro says an external result, and with beginners, what I found was the internal focus was not very good at all. In fact, there was often this conflict here because you would tell these players, right, you've got to keep your weight on your front foot, and they would go backwards, almost as if there's a lack of control there, like they can't control their body and you have to really get them to focus on it, and it's almost like a conflict there. Now. The conflict I know is because these golfers are trying to get under the golf ball and lift it in there, because that's how a beginner thinks you get the ball in the air. So already there's like this idea that, oh, the body is actually trying to self organize for a concept. This person thinks they have to get under and scoop it, and so the emotion is doing exactly that. And when you try and force emotion on a bad concept, it doesn't hold. So if you've ever tried to do something in your swing and it hasn't changed, and you're like, God, this is really difficult to change my swing, there may be a multi concept conflicting with what you're telling your body to do. Now. The second group performed the best in my studies. When I asked players to brush the ground in the right place. They were the ones who got the ball in the air and over the bunker. And because that's what is required to get the ball up in the air, you brush the ground in the right place, it'll pop up in the air very easily. And the interesting thing I noted was with these players, when I was asking them to brush the ground in the right area, they started to move better. They started to put their weight on their left side without me telling them, without me even giving them those cues, the task created the better movement. So basically I changed their concept. Instead of them now thinking I got to get under and scoop it, they're now focusing on the task is brushing the ground next to the ball, and as a result, the movement improved. Now the third group, the ones who are asked to focus on getting the ball up, so they're focusing on the trajectory of the ball where it landed, they performed awful as well. They started blading the balls in, they started hitting the ground early. Why because when a beginner visualizes the ball going up in the air, they're going to go on their backfoot and try and scoop again. So again the visual there or the concept was self organizing a poor technique. It does flip for different players, though, when you get to a high level of golfer. Lots of high level golfers start to perform better when they focus on the outcome. The reason for that is they've spent so many years in graining good mechanics. When they focus on the outcome, the mechanics are still there. So so yeah, I mean I think all of these focuses can be part of the process of learning. I think there's a time to be internal. I think there's a time to be externally process and a time to be externally result focused. I think all of them can be tools along someone's journey of improvement, and then you can even test them to say, hey, which one do you perform best with right now?
Speaker 2: I'm realizing right now that I performed best with the middle one. The and I wonder is because I, you know, I was trying. I gave up trying to do the internal focus because that just made me crazy, you know, and just put me in my head. The external focus. I was like, oh, that's you know, I'll focus on where I want the ball to go and and all those things. But I realized that, like the best I play is when I'm focused on just even practice swings, just the feel of it. I mean, is that, you know, and and and like you know, I when I get on the tee, I hit the ball a lot better if I just kind of do that like Ben Hogan thing he did on TV, you know, where you just kind of go back and forth like that changes everything about the way I wind up hitting the balls. So is it because it's a feel thing that people do well.
Speaker 1: With classes that would be classes internal. But even with internal, you can separate them into specific or more global. So something like a feel of rhythm is more global. It's you're not trying to micromanage individual pieces, whereas if I said, right, I want to focus on flexing the lead rist, that's a more specific thing that can throw people off sometimes. I mean, it could be good thought for some people as well. I'm a gnostic to all of this stuff. I don't say anything's good or bad. I say there are certain advantages to certain things and certain disadvantages to those same things. You know, I live by the mantra. There's no there are no solutions. There are only trade offs. I almost forgot Wars, and I'm like, oh, that's gonna sound stupid if I say I lived by this mantra and can't remember it. There are no solutions, only trade offs. Right. That's very true in golf, in golf instruction as well. But yeah, you just have to find out what works for you. What I will say is that there are certain things that are definitely linked to the geometry of good golf. Okay, so if say, for example, if I get someone to brush the ground in the right area, that's linked to what's happening at impact, which makes the ball go up, which is good. If I say to hundred golfers, I need you to shift your weight forwards more in the swing. If I get those hundred golfers actually do that, the ground contact will move forwards. So the movement is related to the geometry and that could either be good or bad for someone, depending on what they need. Then you have more I kind of call them voodoo golf or rain dance golf in that it's like you get golfers say things like, oh, when I put a T in my right pocket, play better. I mean, that's an extreme example to lay it point that. You know, these are things are less they may well produce better outcomes for a golfer. You know, golfers might say things like, oh, I'm working on my rhythm or my tempo, and for that golfer in that moment, it may improve them. But I would be looking if that is true. I would be looking at why is that golfer better? So what I would do with that golfer is I'd let them hit their bad shots and then they say, right, I perform best when I focus on rhythm, And I would say to the okay, hit ten shots for me focusing on rhythm, and at the end of those ten shots we get test results.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We can see the before in the after, and I can say to that person, well, yes, you do hit it better with rhythm, or no, you don't. You just it's it's a hallucination, which happens a lot. But in the case where someone says, yeah, I hit it better with rhythm and the data shows that they do, I can then go in and look and I can tell them why they hit it better with the rhythm. I can say, well, you hit the ground better when you're thinking of rhythm. We can see that your ground contact is not one inch behind, it's one inch in front. So at least then I'm linking that feel that they have to what's actually happening and what's actually causing the good shot. That's where I always want to get to, Yeah, causing the good shop.
Speaker 3: Now in terms.
Speaker 2: Of like practicing, like you know, I mean you go to the every range I go to, there are always a million people out there and we're all just slamming balls, and some of us might be getting better, but I'm not sure all of us are.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I am.
Speaker 2: So what is it about the way we practice as a whole that is not working?
Speaker 1: Do you know the Skinner box pigeon in Skinner experiments Skinner pigeons.
Speaker 2: I know enough that I remember it, but I don't I couldn't describe it.
Speaker 1: So basically Skinner BF. Skinner put pigeons in a box and he fed them food pellets randomly, and when he came back after a few hours, these pigeons were doing all these weird tics, weird movements, and when he watched the video footage back, what he saw was the pigeon would tap on a wall and a food pellet came out ate it. So the pigeons brained. Obviously it doesn't have language, but it's the brain is linking up. Oh when I tap, I got a food pellet. So what does it do It taps again, another food palette comes out. It may have nothing to do with the tap. They're random rewards, but now it's got two bits of information saying, oh, when I tapped twice, I get a food pellett. So you see again, tap twice, food palt come out. Bang, it's ingrained. Maybe then it taps twice and nothing happens. It tries it again, nothing happens. It kind of turns around a little bit, and then all of a sudden, the food palette comes out, and the pigeon's brain is like, oh, if I tap twice and turn then a food pealet comes out. And then after a while these things get falsely linked. Golfers on a driving range matt are basically a pigeon in the skin of the experiment. What they do is they hit a ball, and their food pellett and golf our food pealettes are was it a good shot or not? Did it feel good or not? Did it do what I wanted it to? So a player hits a shot and it's a bad one. They hit another shot, it's a bad one. They hit another shot and it's a good one. What does the person do? They say, Ah, what did I do differently on that one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think I did I did this. Let me try that again, doesn't work, they said, Let me try more, doesn't work. Let me really trying to quadruple it. And they hit a good shot. Now that person is locked in on whatever it was now that thing that they were trying might have had nothing to do with what actually was causing a good shot. In fact, in many cases, what they're trying to do could be harmful to the development. An example of that would be, and you know what, I don't think people normally arise to this thing themselves. I think normally they're told it by someone is head down, Oh, keep your head down. I see this all the time, maybe husbands teaching their wives, or men teach their fathers teaching their kids. The kid is like moving beautifully, their heads rotating nicely, they're springing up, they're moving like an athlete, and then all of a sudden, they hit a bad shot. Even though they might have moved well, they hit a bad shot because maybe they hit it two grooves low on the face right, and it's it's And the dad says, oh, you've got to keep your head down. So the kid then tries to keep his head down. It's still a bad shot. He's like, more, keep your head down more. So the kid's now locked in place, their heads like fixated on the ground. They make a swing, their entire arms collapse, their body doesn't rotate, and if they hit a good shot doing that, which you can you can make a horrible movement and hit a good shot. That kid is now locked in and now they're locked into making a bad movement, right, So then now their body is rotating and it can cause When I say a bad movement, I mean a movement that can cause injury. It's gonna limit speed in the long term as a long term as well, so it just completely destroys the athleticism. So yeah, we got to be careful what we're linking up here. And to your question why the most golfers not improved is because they're just they're out there linking random things to the result and sometimes rarely they will link something good like I love it if a player went, oh, I shifted my weight more forwards and I hit the ground better. That's a good linking, right, because that makes sense the midd links. But unfortunately, what I see I see I've seen a lot of golf. I've seen a lot of golf as a teacher is bad linking.
Speaker 3: Son.
Speaker 1: Example of a bad linking would be, oh, my ball went right, I'm going to weaken my grip off and then the next swing they hit the ground a foot behind it closes the face and they hit one straight.
Speaker 3: Grip them.
Speaker 1: It is like, no, they introduced two faults that made the ball goes. I see that all the time, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So so what do you So? What should somebody? What should you know? Obviously you need to know what to work on, right? I mean that is that the number one step in practicing better first step.
Speaker 1: I have these different layers of when I'm educating people. A lesson with me is more a lot more theory than practice. I'm obviously watching them hit balls, but I'm trying to get that person to coach themselves, and I'm these levels I go through is number one, do they know what creates a good shot? And so, like I said at the start, what creates a good shot is a good impact. Specifically, it was ground contact good? Was the face contact good? Was the face direction good? Those are the three most fundamental things in golf. If you do those three things, the outcome will be good. Even with a bad movement, the outcome will be good. The next stage to it is, okay, if you know what creates a good shot, do you know what you are doing in that? So, when I'm in a coaching session, when a player hits a bad shot, I as a coach, instantly looks at it and goes, oh, it was twenty millimeters off the toe. That's why I was a bad shot. But I don't tell them that. I ask them, I say, why do you think that felt worse than the one before, which was a really good shot? Why do you think that? And they might not give me the right answer. They might they might say, oh, I don't know. Maybe the face was open. I don't know. And so I'm educating them to help them identify the actual issue and how they can do this themselves without my trained eyes. Foot spray and ballflight will tell you almost everything. If you use foot spray and you see that the strike is vertically, it's say it's on the fourth groove, we know hit You've hit the ground pretty well. There's some caveats to that, but for most people, Okay, you've hit the ground pretty well. If it's on the fourth groove, if it's close to the center third of the face, you've struck it pretty well. Tone heel as well. How do we know if face is appropriate, the ball is going to go on the target? Simple algorithm as if the ball goes too far right, the face has been too open. If all goes too far left, the face has been too closed, and you've got to try and balance that. You've got to try and balance that equation. So it's first, do we understand what creates a good shot? That's level one. Level two is do you know what you are doing? Are you getting good feedback on it? Level three is then, okay, do you know how to change this? If you hit shots and you see, oh, they're all on the toe of the club, do you know how to move that more towards the heel, more dowards the center. And that's where we start building these tools. And so the simplest or yeah, it's simple, and probably the best tool you can develop is what I call the golden rule. Take the fault and try the opposite, which sounds so mind numbingly simple to people that most people have never tried it. In fact, I get emails daily from people saying, you know what, I played years and I never tried just doing the opposite of my fault. So I had a guy maybe a couple of days ago, said, I suffered with shanks for almost a year. Now, I was almost quitting the game. I'm a three handicap and he said, I watched one of your social posts and it fixed it for me. And he said, all it was was I tried to hit out of the toe more. He said, it's so silly. I don't know why I've never tried that before. No one teaches this. Why I just emailed back. I said, I don't know why people don't teach it because I see it work every single day, the amount of shank as I've had in my lesson tea where they're like, I'm on the verge of quitting. And I said, entertain me for a moment. Can you just try and hit a few shots out of the toe? And they try, and we look at the data and they say that's still a little heally, can you try and hit even more out of the toe for me? And we try and I'm going it's better, but it's still not toey. I said, I want you to really toe at this time. I want you to hit the shiny part of the toe. And they go off and they hit ten shots and we have a look at it and they're like, wow, all of those were flushed, and I say, yeah, for the last thirty balls, you didn't hit one shank guy either. They're like, well, that's yeah, that's crazy. I didn't even think about that. I'm like, yeah, you're literally just taking the fault heel and trying the opposite, trying to hit the toe, and it's improving the pattern. I see this in ninety nine percent of cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I mean I had a club fitting about three months ago, first time I've ever had club's fit, and my problem is pushing it right and slicing. And they show you, you know, all the data from the different clubs up there, and all of a sudden, I look and they're showing me where I'm hitting the ball with my driver, and every single ball I am hitting right off the toe basically, I mean I'm hitting right of you know what I mean, I'm hitting it, you know, a decent distance, and it's going straight, but slicinger going straight right, And all of a sudden, and I was like, God, well how do I do this? And I was like, Oh, the simplest thing is why don't I try to hit it off the heel? Yeah, every time, And I've not hit a drive out of bounds since I've hit everything, and it's and I was like it could it possibly be that easy? Because I first I tried, I'm no.
Speaker 1: Correct you there, moment not simple, very thank you. Yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: That is a great distinction. I started doing it with my other clubs too, and it's because I was trying to change the way I was swinging. Yeah, And all of a sudden I was like, it's maybe it's just where I'm putting my club on the ball when I line up, and it has made a huge So but is it literally, like you said, ninety nine percent of the time, if you find the right compensation and it's just doing the opposite, that'll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just feeling the opposite because these things are so small, right, The example I give you is actually the biggest change. So if you get a shanker and you want to convert them to a more centered striker, you got to change it by an inch or so, Like there's a difference between a flush shot and a shank is about an inch more towards a heel. That's actually the biggest change. Now, even with that, if you show someone shank, if you show a video of someone hitting a shank and someone hitting a flush shot, only the most trained eyes will be able to see the difference between those. Now we can see the difference in the result. Right, A flush shot flies long, far goes relatively towards the target. Shank shoots ninety degrees. Right, we assume because the result has been so drastically different, that we have done something so drastically different. We haven't. It's a lie, it's a myth. One of the best tests that your listeners can do is to go off and video this wing and wait for a good shot, and when they do that, put a thumbs up to the camera. Then keep hitting, wait for a bad shot, put a thumbs down, and go off and analyze those two just so you can when you're scrolling through, yoh, that one's the good one, that one was the bad one. With the thumbs up the thing, and then go and video them side by side. If you have that ability, you will not see the difference between them. Because it's an inch in It can be less than that. I mean, honestly, a difference between a shank and someone hitting an okay shot out of the heel, it's like a quarter of an inch really right right now, it gets even more, it gets even smaller with the differences. When we're talking about things like direction. So when you slice a driver forty yards right, and this is undeniable because we have launch monitors showing this. Now, when you slice a driver forty yards right, the club face has been three degrees more open than the one that was piped on the center. So imagine you hit two shots right, pipe one down the center, next one goes forty yards right. You go into the launch monitor data, you have a look, and what you see is, oh, the club face was three degrees more open. Now three degrees It is half a second on a clock face. It's nothing. In fact, I have visuals images that I post on social media a lot of a square face and one that's three degrees open. People look at it and they go, god, I had to really look at that to see if there's a difference there. And that's the difference between thirty yards more right at about two hundred and fifty two hundred and sixty yards. Even if you only hit it two hundred yards, it's still like thirty yards right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People often think, oh, I've done something so drastic, and it's like, no, you haven't. This game is super difficult, and if you want to fix that forty yard slice. You've just got to get the face three degrees more closed, which is not much at all. Now that the caveat to that, or the addition to that is three degrees might feel like a lot when you actually go and try and make the change. I've had people hitting forty yards right, forty yards right, forty yards right, and I say, right, try and close the face for me, and it's twenty yards right, thirty yards right, ten yards right, and they're like, I'm really trying to do this year And we go into a launch monitor and say, well, you're moving it in the right direction, but you're only one degree more closed, and they could they go, wow, it felt like I was closing it ten degrees right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Feel is not real. This is where technology can help us, really is bridging the gap between feel and real. And there are some people who are the opposite. It's rare for an adult, but some players. I'll say, can you try and close the face? And they overdo it. Again, technology helps you. You say, oh, you felt like you closed it two degrees and you actually closed it twenty. Let's try and find somewhere in between. I'll be honest, most adults are underdoers. So you ask them to do a task and they underdo it. Kids are overdoers. You ask kids to close the face and they'll sl lamate shut and hit it forty yards left off the planet. So kids, you have to be more careful and not careful, but you have to tell them to make smaller changes. Adults you could really are going to get in there and kick them to make a proper change often. But yeah, so three degrees can be the difference between a successful shot and a non successful shot. Half an inch an inch on the face can be the difference between a shank and one that's flush with ground contact, It's even scarier one groove of height change. So a player hits the fourth groove flush, next shot, they hit the sixth groove. So as let's say two shots higher on the face and they laid the sod over it, right, that's the difference we're looking at there. Pros have unbelievable depth control. Okay, what I mean by that is if I ask a if I ask a pro to brush the top of the ground, and they will be able to control the depth very very well. In fact, I used to do these little drills with players where I would get a towel and I would put a bottle cap on top of it, and I'd say, right, I want you to practice clipping the bottle cap off without moving the towel. Right, So imagine if you swing a little too high, you miss the bottle cap, you swing a little bit too low, the towel bunches and flies out everywhere. A progue can stand and do that drill all day. I can put one of those little thin bottle caps, the water bottle caps like a desani, and they'll do it all day. And then you get amateur and they're not very good all at all. Well, actually I say they're not very good at it. They're good, just not as good as a pro. And like I said, the difference there between the difference between a pro level control is a pro has about a three millimeter standard deviation, right, which is about a one groove standard deviation. With a bad golfer, it's about a one and a half to two groove standard deviation right right. On the one hand, you could say, oh, it's not that different, is it. It's one groove difference huge. The other hand, you could say, well, that's actually fifty two one hundred percent worse. So you know, twice as twice the standard deviation is more pro. But so on the one hand, you can say, oh, god, yeah, I am bad at it if I've got two group standard deviation. But on the other hand, you could look at it and say, well, hey, I'm not actually that far off from a pro. It's just they're doing these little things really really well. And my life has been spent teaching people how do we do these little things really really well?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: What are a you know, say, I'm listening to the show and I want to just I'm not gonna take a lesson. I'm you know, I would watch your YouTube videos if I.
Speaker 3: Was one of them.
Speaker 2: But I but if I'm not taking all but you're giving me two or three things to just go out and do right now that can have an impact on my game.
Speaker 3: What would you do?
Speaker 1: Spray the face number one? Number two, tinker around with like try and hit ten shots from the toe, Try and hit ten shots on the heel. You will learn so much doing that. Wonder the first time you do it, you may not have success with it. You may try and hit ten shots on the toe and they're all centered. You just learned something valuable there you might hit Try and hit ten shots on the heel, and you're hitting all shanks and you're like, oh God, I overdo that. You've learned something. You've learned that you are more heel biased with everything you may learn they're actually pretty good at it. Oh when I try and hit ten from the toe, I'm quite good at it, And ten from the heel, I'm quite good at it. Maybe I should focus on this a little bit more. You're going to learn something from the task. Try and hit ten shots a little higher on the face by digging in a little deeper. Just say yourself, R, I'm really going to thump and dig in a little on the mat here, hit them high on the face. Then try and say, right, I'm just gonna pick it off the surface. I'm gonna imagine the ground is glass and I'm just gonna imagine picking the ball off the surface without smashing the glass. You'll hit it lower on the face. Then try and go somewhere in between with them. So with both of those tasks, ten off the toe, ten off the heel. Now try in between ten high on the face, ten low on the face. Now try in between, try and hit ten shots left, try and hit ten shots right, then do in between. You will learn so much from that and just understand the concept that face orientation is going to be the biggest determinant of whether the ball goes right or left. So by just doing those two are those three tasks you're you're learning so much with that with.
Speaker 2: Those Yeah, no, that's really that's really helpful because that I'm actually like, I'm going to go do that. So one one sold and you got a lot more her sold out of the world.
Speaker 1: Well, Adam, the next step to that would be say someone can't do it right. So that's that's why I start. With most people, I'm like, okay, can you hit shots from the toe for me? And we test their ability. With a really good player, I might give them a task of I want you to hit it five millimeters off the toe for me, and I've got a GC quad running so I can tell their ability. And then I say, hit some ten milimeters off the toe and I can tell their ability. Very high skilled players can move it, and they can move it in specific amounts as well, so you can scale the task if you want to. So instead of just going left and right, I might say to a player hit a small left, a medium left, a big left. So we're now layering more parts to this task here. If a player can't do a task, like say I'm asking a lifelong slicer, can you close the face down and hit it left? And they just they try and after twenty shots they can't. We may then go into well, let's look at what there is technically that may be limiting your ability to do it, and we would say, okay, you've got a really weak grip. Let's put your grip in a stronger position and now try the task again. So again that's an internal focus. I'm not anti internal Changing your grip is a mechanical thing, but that might help them to achieve the task. Now, So technique for me, when I'm changing techniques with players, it's all task related. It's like, right, what task does this player struggle with? What technical things can we add to them to help them with that. So say, for example, someone stands quite far away from it, like Bryson de Shambeau, if they're hitting the sweet spot all the time, I'm like, hey, you keep doing that, that's fine, I'm okay with that. Bryson does it? MO normal used to do it. Yeah, there are many color players who do it, but that's okay. But if that player says I'm hitting everything out of the toe, my first thing would be, well, let's see if you can hit out the heel. And usually in that first round they start to naturally stand a little closer to it, so I don't have to tell them they move closer. They naturally do it. But if they don't, then they can't hit the heel. Then I might suggest to them, hey, what about standing a little closer to it and then seeing if you can do this heel task And they're like, oh, yeah, that was a lot easier now. So the movement doesn't have to become more textbook, but we can use that as a tool if a player is struggling with a task. If they don't struggle with the task, we don't need to change it. I've got players with weak grips who hit straight shots. I don't need that grip to move to a more neutral position if they're hitting straight shots with it. Because there are plenty of top players of weak grips. Bryson is one, more Coauer is one, and there are plenty of players with strong grips Dustin Johnson is one, Paul Asingo is won, David Duval was one. Web Simpson was strong grip. I need not any motion, but there are a wider range of motions and grips and setups that can work. Then you would be led to believe all you have to do is to be able to do the task of impact. And if you can't do the task of impact, we could use technique changes to help us with the task of impact, but it all comes down to the task of impact.
Speaker 2: One last question for you. So you're talking about more Norman. Yeah, and you know, there are obviously all these school schools of thought as to how to swing a club. And I see a lot of a lot of people want to study more Norman, and a lot of people want to study Ben Hogan. Yea, And I mean and and and it seems to me, you know, like the Hogan thing. I mean, obviously the guy had, like, you know, this incredible repeatable swing, but he developed it right because he was hooking the ball. So we're all trying to adapt to a swing that one of the great players of all time had created because he was hooking right to some extent, and with more Norman it's like amazing, but it's I've tried it and I cannot very homegrown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, worked for him, not.
Speaker 2: For So what what is the applicability you know of some of a individual players swing spread out into the world, you know, I mean, are there I mean obviously some people can learn and really excel with those swings.
Speaker 3: But you know, is that what? What? What? Just what's your take on.
Speaker 2: Kind of you know, embracing one kind of school of thought that way and going with it, or is it more you want to just find your natural way of hitting the ball.
Speaker 1: The analogy I would use for this is dieting. Right, I've done a lot of look at research. Now whether you agree with this or not is actually scientifically proven.
Speaker 2: But whether I've failed at both golf and dieting side.
Speaker 1: Failing and dieting right now. Yeah, But the if you look at every diet study, it all comes down to calories, right. So you can look at high cob diets, low cob diets, you can look at high fat dietes, low fat diets, any mix you want out the letter k out your diet. They will all work if they reduce calories, even high sugar diets. There there's a study by sir whether they put metabolic war they put one group on high sugar, one group on low. They lost the same weight if calories were controlled. That is analogous to impact. If you get the calories right, you will lose weight. If you get impact right, you will lose weight. What you have to find out is, well, what method is right for me to achieve a calorie deficit. So for some people that might be low carb, they might try low carb and they might say, ah, this is easy for me to get low calories. That's the equivalent of someone saying, oh, I tried the most Norman swing and it got my impact better. But other people might try low carb and they're like, oh God, if you're awful on this and I can't stop, I get cravings and I overeat, which is basically them try and more Norman swing and being like, I can't get a task of impact. Here's that right? What's the one of the true fundamentals of dieting or golf golf. It's impact the method. There are a million methods that work, there are a million diets that work right, but do you have to abide by the principle of impact or calorie control. So I don't want to go too far off on the announced, No, but I.
Speaker 3: Totally it's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: I mean, because if your daily calories are two thousand and you stay below that or keep your exercise, you know, burn enough calories to get below that, you lose weight and you can eat all the protein of the world, you know, nothing else than you you know, don't.
Speaker 1: Now that's not to say that some diets won't. Some diets might be better than others, you know, like a Mediterranean diet is probably going to be better than the twinkie diet, right, but both both will work if you're trying to lose weight. I mean, it's been proved. There's a professor Harvard who did a twinkie diet. He ate eighteen hundred calories a day on of twinkies, and he lost thirty pounds and all his blood markers improved. Now if he continued that for forty years, I don't know what the effects would be on the health. And yeah, there are certain ways of achieving impact that might not be really optimal, but if you achieve impact, you'll get the result. Right, So this is where you can get You can use a coach to help you. You know, like I said, you don't. You don't want to use a super weak grip and I hit the ground early to close the face. That's not it's in effect, you're actually getting one of the impact tasks. Incorrect anyway. So but yeah, in terms of choosing a model, I think you have I think we have it the wrong way around. I think we should focus more on what what is the task? Am I achieving that? And then we can pick and choose from models. So I'm model like not agnostic. What I say is is if someone struggles to close the face, I can draw upon different models or just understanding of how different movements affect the face. Well, I know that if I get a hundred golfers and I give them a stronger grip position which means hands turn more to the right, those hundred golfers on average will close the face more. So we can say, okay, there's an overarching rule. Stronger grip tends tends to close the face for golfers. Similarly, if you get a hundred golfers and you add more forearm rotation through impact of course supernation, they will close the face more. If you get a hundred golfers and you cup the wrist more at the top of the swing, go into extension leader's extension, they will tend to open the face more so, or vice versa. They'll tend to close if they're more flexed or bode with the wrist. So that's a kind of complicated one, definitely, but it's an option for me. So say I player is like, I'm hitting everything right. So okay, well, we know the face is too open to the path. What are our options here? While we could strengthen the grid position, we could add more supernation at the bottom, we could add more lead reflection. I could just give a player the task of can you close the face of impact? And maybe they self organize different wrist angles without me telling them to. So there's lots of ways of AI achieving this goal, but it's all centered on the task of impact. Models and swing pieces are just ways of helping us achieve that.
Speaker 2: Adam, thank you for doing this, man, You're great and this was really really educational and I'm glad we took the time to do it. So can you tell people where they can find you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, adamongolf dot com. I've got tons of articles on there. There's some freebies as well, like free ebooks giving you visuals of the certain fundamentals that we talked about. See if you go onto any blog you know, for about a tenth of the way down, it'll say, hey, enter your email here for the free ebook, and then you can continue reading the blog. But yeah, I've got products on there as well. I do have paid products if people want, like really structured plans. This thing like the strike plan helps you with ground contact and face contact. The accuracy plan helps you with directional issues. So everybody has both to get both if you want, or if there's just one one issue, just get the one that's most pertinent to you.
Speaker 2: I'd love to meet the guy with one issue that's not me well, and and he has you have great video content, so everybody should totally check it out. Thank you for being on Golf Smarter, Adam,