Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection, and I'm Dom Davis. We have the Washington County Democratic Party all right here with this, not the whole party, but just you know, we got Randy Randy here with us. And Randy, this is an interesting situation that you have coming up here. I guess it's a It's something I hadn't heard until just when you walked in. So I tell us a little bit about this Queen for a Night event.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning, good I'm awake.
Speaker 3: Well that's good. See you got half of it cured right there being awake. The rest of it, it's just it's it's icing on the cake. Dde.
Speaker 2: He's a cake.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 4: Now the event we're really excited about. We've been working on it for a couple of months.
Speaker 2: Quinn for Night.
Speaker 4: Basically, as I was explaining, it's it's a theatrical event as well as an educational event. What we're going to do is it's going to be held at the Theater Bartlesville. They're at three twelve South Dewey. Tomorrow night starts at seven o'clock. We're going to be having a show. But we're also going to be discussing the recently passed bill that HB twelve to seventeen bill. As I was explaining it, that bill is similar to what's already on the books, but this bill has been loosely written to where it kind of leaves the interpretation open to each individual on whether or not they feel something is obscene or lewde primarily. Although the bill doesn't use the words, it's going after drag performers. They're trying to classify them the same as strippers and other adult entertainers.
Speaker 1: I want to give you the opportunity to clarify, Yes, the difference is you see that because that was a broad brush and I want to give you the opportunity to delineate the difference in performance.
Speaker 2: And the performers between one and the other.
Speaker 4: So I've been singing now for about thirty five years, and of that I have performed probably for about thirty years in a variety of shows. A lot of the shows have had drag performers in them, so I have had first hand experiences to what goes into getting into drag.
Speaker 2: And you know, a.
Speaker 4: Couple of years ago I actually got to do it. Myself when I was on HBO. We're here when they come to town, so I can tell you I had fifteen pairs of pantyhose on. I had so much fabric I literally was cooking to death. So when I hear people say that drag performers have exposed themselves, I kind of want to know how, because they got too much stuff on. It takes fifteen minutes to get undone so they can go to the bathroom. I'm not gonna say that drag performers in the bar in an adult situation aren't adult as far as their conversations and go in a bar setting where it's twenty one and up. But in a situation like outdoors, like in a Pride celebration. You know, they have two different types of shows. They have the adult show and they have the family friendly shows. Family friendly shows, you know, they watch their language. They make sure that they're dressed appropriately. You don't really see skin, you know, because of the leggings, the body suits, all of.
Speaker 2: That is covered what it is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, we had a street preacher come to the areas who stirred a lot of lies, a lot of mistruth and there's a lot of people who never bothered to fact check.
Speaker 2: They just went along with it. They bought into it.
Speaker 4: There was drag in our Pride events before that, and nobody ever said a word, and then all of a sudden, it's this big, horrible, evil ephant elephant in the room. So we're basically wanting to show everybody that anybody can do drag any.
Speaker 3: Walk of life.
Speaker 4: It's not horrible people with criminal records or pedophiles that do it.
Speaker 2: At our event, we're going to have.
Speaker 4: Four professional drag performers who are as far as I'm concerned, they're family to me. I've been performing with many of them for years, well since I moved to Oklahoma. I've been in shows with them. We've got four individuals who have never done drag are going to be put in drag for the first time. They've been practicing really hard at the theater. We have hair stylists that are working on the hair. The theater has been great to us, allowing us to use some of their costumes, and so we're going to put a show on for everybody. We're also going to discuss, like I said, the bill, and we're going to kind of let people know what they can do to be more active in their communities and to try to fight against some of the policies the politicians that are trying to take rights away from everybody. Our slogan is when they come for one, they come for all.
Speaker 2: And it is true.
Speaker 4: It's they're going to come for one thing, and the next thing they don't like, they'll come after, and the next thing they'll come after. And if you just set back silently and say, well, my vote doesn't count, eventually your vote's not going to count, and they'll come for your rights.
Speaker 3: So we're speaking with Randy White.
Speaker 1: He's the male Affirmative Officer for Washington County Democrat Party and treasurer for the Oklahoma for.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma State Homela Stone Wall Federation.
Speaker 1: There and this is a presentation that is called Queen for a Night.
Speaker 3: Tickets are twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: And I want to give you a chance to to maybe speak to someone like like anyone that this might be foreign to them, something that they've never you know, thought of, never you know, never crossed their mind, and it may appear to be stranger, startling. Yes, I want to open that door to you as as a courtesy so that you know, we can we can hear what you which is which.
Speaker 3: You got to say, well, now that's defined or Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I would say is a if you've never been to a drag performance, go to one.
Speaker 2: Talk to the performers.
Speaker 4: The all the ones that I have met over the years are just everyday people. They love what they do. It's some of them they do it for fun. Some of it, like I was talking about the one performer who as a veteran, has a beautiful wife, beautiful kids, does it because not only the fun, but the money. You know, he makes amazing money. They do it for fun. They don't do it to cause problems. They don't do it to be lure children in. Like, there's so many misconceptions. So what I would say is go to a show and just meet the performers and talk to them, because you'll find that they're just amazing people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is the opportunity, will be tomorrow night at the theater Bartlesville, Queen.
Speaker 4: For Night, Yes, and we're gonna have meet and greet after the show. So you have the easy opportunity to meet some of the performers and we're gonna have concessions all donation, all the proceeds we will be putting towards our party, which helps elect officials to kind of fight for everybody's rights in Oklahoma, not just a few. And it's just gonna be a fun night if I survived it.
Speaker 3: If you make it sound like you might fall.
Speaker 4: No, it has just been We have worked so hard to get myself and the rest of the group have worked so hard to get to this point. You know, Tammy Schmidt, Avery Higgs, that was their vision to start out doing this, and then we come on board and we've just worked effortlessly to make this a fun of it. And I'm still trying to figure out how to get the laptop paired with the Bluetooth projectors so that we can show slides because we kind of want to show slides of each drag kid what they're like in their normal daily life. And then the process of picking out clothes and stuff like that that may or may not happen. I'm just telling you right now, but yeah, it's just gonna be a fun night.
Speaker 1: I both want to know more about the Washington County Democrat Party.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you have a website or a Facebook page?
Speaker 4: We do, and I don't know if I can read my paper right now, but they can go online to the Washington County Democrat Facebook page yep. Or you can just google it and it'll pull you right up to our website. From the website and the Facebook page, if you're interested in tickets, there is links on there that will take you to Act Blue and you can purchase tickets online. We're going to try to have it where you can purchase them at the door as well.
Speaker 3: This is what they call you walk up community.
Speaker 4: Yes, and bring one dollar bills if you're coming, because all of our performers have volunteered to do this, but we feel like as hard as they're working, you know, we want them to take something away with them.
Speaker 2: So the tips for the performers they get to keep.
Speaker 4: Everything else that we raise, you know, goes for the fundraiser.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, Randy White, thank you for coming in, Thanks for talking about this.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. It is going to be fun. And hope see y'all there all right.
Speaker 3: Hope you've been watching and listen