Speaker 1: Welcome to Financial Issues, where we help you steward faithfully by honoring God with your investments. Now listen in as we give you the practical tools and advice you need to become a biblically responsible investor.
Speaker 2: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with biblical integrity. Folks, Craig Halgard, our Financial Issues Ag Reporter, joins us later in the show today.
Speaker 3: You don't want to miss that. It's going to be a great time. I'm Seth Udinski.
Speaker 2: You've got Sam Case in the control room and your host, Mark Manilla. Mark, we're lively this morning, I think.
Speaker 4: We're having a great time. A little Bible study, a little conversation about music. It's all over the place.
Speaker 5: And now you're joining us, which makes it all better. Welcome, everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're grateful to have you, folks. Hey, give us a call, why don't you? Number 610-363-1110. Again, 610-363-1110. Put that in your speed dial, folks, and save that and give us a call, why don't you? We'd love to hear your opinions, your questions, anything financial. Join the live broadcast. Hey, guys, let's start with our verse of the week, Proverbs 27. 23 through 24. Sam, would you give us this one one more time? You made me do it yesterday, but you know what? It's such a good verse.
Speaker 5: I'll do it again.
Speaker 6: Be diligent to know the state of your flocks and attend to your herds, for riches are not forever, nor does a crown endure to all generations. Proverbs 27, 23, and 24.
Speaker 2: You know, Mark, as I was reading that, just was reminded, you know, the writer to the Proverbs, who I believe it is Solomon. He's obviously Solomon under, you know, he understood the weight of the crown. He was the king of Israel and one of the richest kings and most successful kings in the history of the people of Israel. He understood that the crown does not endure to all generations. I believe Solomon also understood, though, in the way that he could in the Old Testament as he trusted in a future Messiah, that someday believers, all of us, would get the crown of victory because of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: And that crown will endure. And it's an amazing thing, Mark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and one more crown that we get to toss at the feet of our Savior.
Speaker 5: How awesome is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 4: But you know, this verse is probably the number one verse used in financial planning.
Speaker 5: When it comes to Christian financial planning.
Speaker 7: Is it really?
Speaker 4: Because be diligent to know the state of your flocks. That alone tells people that they should be on top of their finances. They should understand what is feeding them, what is providing for them, what God has entrusted them to utilize for all that and to help you to be able to be giving to others and care for those that God puts in your path.
Speaker 5: Be diligent to know the state of your finances.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Well said, Mark.
Speaker 2: Speaking of diligence, actually, we have a very interesting topic here talking about financial diligence. This topic is theft and cybersecurity. So here's a question that we got, Mark. Kim is 65 years old. She's a partner, and she's asking this. In today's age of identity theft and ongoing cybersecurity threats, is comprehensive identity theft protection truly essential or is simply freezing your credit card enough to safeguard your personal information?
Speaker 3: Do you personally use a protection plan? Mark, how would you help Kim?
Speaker 5: Well, she made this personal now.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't have a personal protection plan. Actually, I have several times had my identity breached and had to do things like locking down and getting.
Speaker 5: A hold of the companies.
Speaker 4: And then, of course, whoever breached it, they gave you a free identity program for a year or two. But, you know, instead of me talking about this, what I'd like to do is bring in somebody I have a lot of respect for. He's our IT manager, head of all our technical here at Financial Issues. And he has to deal with all sorts of fraud and ID theft scams that are going on.
Speaker 5: And that's Elijah, the one, the only Elijah. Welcome to the show, Elijah. Good morning, everybody. It's good to be with you.
Speaker 7: Well, we're.
Speaker 5: We're glad you're with us. How would you address Kim's question?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm honored that you trust me to answer Kim's question today. So her question about is comprehensive identity theft truly essential? I wouldn't say it is, but it also depends on your lifestyle. If you're someone who isn't looking over your accounts, making sure you're managing all your passwords, using a password manager, also having you know, just access to your accounts and using two-factor authentication, making sure all of your logins to your IRS and all these, you know, different accounts that use your identity, you know, are you actively engaging in that? And if no, then I would say, yeah, I mean, it could definitely help, you know, help monitor, help do credit repair. Mark, you just shared a situation where that might go in handy. But I would say simply freezing your credit is enough. If you're at a point in your life where you're not really utilizing your credit a whole bunch, freezing it is actually much better. Let me tell you guys a secret. People already have access to your information. They're leaked everywhere. Um, and, and that's why I would say, you know, freezing it is just one of those things that, you know, if you have, if you, if you have your accounts frozen, if you, if you, uh, freeze all of your accounts through, uh, through the kettle barrels, then, uh, they can't use your information.
Speaker 4: Um, So freezing it, what that does is keep people from opening accounts in your name or using your credit. But it wouldn't stop them from stealing your identity or scamming you, would it?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: You hear about the elderly scams. And by the way, I don't know if you knew this, Elijah. This is one of the things I came across years ago. But the number one affinity group for scams is the Christian community. They are scammed more than anybody else. And I think that's just because they're giving and they're easy, you know?
Speaker 5: Them and the elderly.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's because they're gullible, right? I think it's because we're bent towards generosity.
Speaker 8: And you know, a lot of these scams and these people, they use two things. They use fear and urgency. And that's just one of the things to look out for as your baseline. Now, there's multiple ways that people try to impersonate your bank accounts You know, it's important that, you know, whatever you do with your bank, that you go directly to them. You go directly to the website. You call them. Also be just aware of the different ways that people are trying to scam you. One of those being AI. I've myself received AI calls and they might call you being, you know, your grandson who may be in jail, who needs money quick. You know, you just want to, you know, take a step back. The moment that you start feeling like you need to make a decision right now.
Speaker 5: So that's, that's really good.
Speaker 4: When they push you to do something right away, that causes nervousness, anxiety, and you might do something silly.
Speaker 5: It does, you know? So yeah, that urgency, that fear that they put into you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So those, those are just some, some things that you want to, you know, just be aware of. Like I said, if, if, you know, if you're caring after your mother and she's not really proactive about her counts and then maybe a paid service may be worth it. You know, you might not have the time to help her manage those things. Or, you know, if better, better than that is freezing it. Because at the end of the day, you can always unfreeze and freeze your account at your will. So you're not really chained to anything.
Speaker 4: I heard that the IRS actually has a pin now you can get from them so that if somebody tries to file a fake return, you know, that was one of the big scams is people were filing returns in other people's names. and getting refunds from fake returns, and then the real person was getting hit by the IRS for false returns and stuff. So you can get a pin from the IRS, so nobody can do that. There's a lot of good ways, it sounds like, but I think what it comes down to is, What Jesus really tells us, what God tells us, obviously he's always right, right?
Speaker 5: Because he's God. But we do not act in fear. We act in wisdom.
Speaker 4: And when we act from wisdom, we don't let fear or urgency creep into this. We don't use the phone number that somebody gave us to call them back if they say they're with our bank. We use the number we have on file at home to call them. We don't click on their link. We go out to the website.
Speaker 5: For our phone. that the bank has we've.
Speaker 4: Always used that kind of thing i really appreciate that that information elijah um i know we're seeing more and more of it and i guess the best way to really uh to really watch this is to stay on top of it check your credit every now and then right yep.
Speaker 8: Log into irs.gov and set up your pin you know set up.
Speaker 4: Your pin exactly Yeah, so do what you can do, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and prudence.
Speaker 5: Well, Elijah, thank you so much for joining us this morning.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I haven't been able to get over to our chat yet this morning to see what's going on, but they love you there, Elijah.
Speaker 8: I know, I love them too, you know. I just love being able to help, you know.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: And Mark, I can say from personal experience too, you know, Elijah does a great job. Sometimes I will forget to run my my scans on the computer to make sure that it's safe from all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And Elijah's like, hey, did you run your scan this week?
Speaker 5: Did you run it this month?
Speaker 3: Did you do the full scan?
Speaker 6: You get a message from Mark saying, I need $ 500 in Visa gift cards right now or I'm going to die.
Speaker 3: And you go, oh, shoot, I need to do this. And Elijah says, no, no, don't do that.
Speaker 2: But in all seriousness, Mark, I do think, and this gets back to the verse we talked about, diligence.
Speaker 5: Know the state of your flock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, knowing the state of.
Speaker 2: Your flock's resiliency, being vigilant as well. That's more of a military term, but always making sure that your defenses are up. I think is so important, especially like you said, Mark, for Christians, we should be generous.
Speaker 3: We should have a bent towards helping others, but we also have to be wary whether that help is really helpful or if it's something more nefarious.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate that question from Kim this morning. I really appreciate Elijah joining us this morning. And you know what I appreciate even more is that you're with us, 610-363-1110. You might have a question or a comment. We want to hear it. Anything financial, we'll give you an answer both from real world and biblical point of view so you can see the worldview that affects you.
Speaker 3: Great to be here with you folks.
Speaker 2: Today's show brought to you in part by our friends at Preborn. Preborn.com slash FISM is the place to go. You can also dial pound 250 and say keyword baby. Preborn saves babies from abortion, brings the gospel to families, a wonderful ministry to support if you love Jesus Christ. Preborn.com slash FISM. Mark, very excited for this interview. We've got the man himself. We had Elijah in the first segment. Now we've got Craig Haugard, our financial issues agri-porter.
Speaker 4: We have all sorts of friends joining us today. It is a fun day. It's financial issues and friends. Yeah, that's financial issues and friends.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: That's basically what it is.
Speaker 4: I love it when we get questions in and we have an expert panel to draw from, like Craig Haugard here.
Speaker 5: Craig, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you. It's my pleasure. Do I understand correctly? I'm following Elijah. Is it the Elijah?
Speaker 5: The Elijah, the one, the only Elijah. You're right. You're following him. It was actually just taken up into heaven.
Speaker 6: That's why he's not here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why I'm kind of surprised you had his number. That is amazing.
Speaker 4: Well, Craig, we got a question from Jean, who's age 70, and she expresses something that I think is on a lot of people's mind.
Speaker 5: Was it Jean? Who was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark, it was Jean.
Speaker 2: So Jean's saying, she was asking you, Mark, but we really felt like Craig would be a good opportunity to have you on the show.
Speaker 3: Here's what she says, Mark.
Speaker 2: She says, thank you for helping us be equipped for times when we're approached for money and then to give and pray with them to overcome their obstacles in Christ.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, Mark.
Speaker 2: That was from a reference to something that you'd said some shows ago. She says, I also wonder what you think about President Trump importing ground beef from Argentina.
Speaker 3: So there's some journalists.
Speaker 2: Who said that it might have bacteria, microplastics, and it's going to make us ill. Also could harm ranchers, meat packaging facilities economically. So we figured we'd have Craig come on to talk about it.
Speaker 4: So we thought we'd have the one, the only Craig on here to answer this question since you're really into it. So what exactly did President Trump do?
Speaker 7: Well, basically, he allowed, I believe it was 300,000 metric tons more of lean ground beef trimmings to be imported without the excessive tariff being applied to it. So you could have brought it in, but they would have had to pay a higher tariff. There's a certain quota that you're allowed to bring under the normal tariff. And so he expanded that. But really, I think Gene has three different questions in there. It seems to me there's a concern about bacteria. There's a concern about microplastics. And then there's a concern about importing of beef. So maybe we should just break those three down individually and look at them.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 7: Let's start with the bacteria. Let's start with microplastics, guys.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: It's currently not tested for in U.S. ground beef. So we really don't know the level that microplastics might be present at. Now, there have been a couple of studies. There was a study in Italy where they looked at 10 commercial hamburgers and found microplastics in all 10 samples. And so that kind of gives the idea that if it's a problem in Italy, it's probably showing up in U.S. burgers as well. There was a study in the United States back in 2024 where they looked at 16 different types of protein products that they purchased in the U.S., included meat products, and they were all labeled as U.S. products. So presumably this beef was all raised and processed in the U.S. And they found microplastics in every one of those products. And the more highly processed the food was, the higher the concentration tended to be. So if you look at beef, for example, they found greater numbers in ground beef than they would have in a ribeye steak or a cut that hadn't been through a process. So I guess, now what, the impact of microplastics.
Speaker 5: So does that mean it's picking it up in the processing?
Speaker 7: Well, I think that's one of the issues. You really don't know where that's coming from. There's several, I mean, they could get it in exposure just to their everyday living. A cow, as it's eating and drinking water out on pasture, could be picking up some agricultural plastics or something through that environment. And then you move into the slaughter process and you come into a contact with different plastic surfaces and equipment in that that could be contributing as well. And then in the case of ground beef, you start grinding that, and that gets to be pretty extensive contact then with that processing machinery. The thought is that you're probably picking up additional microplastics in that process. And then, of course, they're going to package it, and they tend to put it in a styrofoam tray with plastic foam over the top of it. And there's some thought that that could be contributing as well. So there's a number of steps. And there could be something in the handling and storage as well where you get some of that introduced. But I think you're right, Mark. I think that grinding process probably gets it. If it doesn't introduce more, which it probably does, it certainly would get it more widely spread throughout the product. Whereas with a stake or a cut that hadn't been further processed, if it's there, it's probably more of a surface issue. Okay. So that's the microplastics. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So what about bacteria?
Speaker 4: Before we go there, Craig, it doesn't sound like we're seeing a difference between Argentina beef and the U.S.
Speaker 5: Beef then, really.
Speaker 7: No, it's not a Ford beef versus U.S. beef issue. And the studies have done, and it's been a very limited number of studies at this point, but the studies seem to indicate that it's It's in there regardless of where the original source of that animal was, which leads you to kind of maybe believe it's in the process that's introducing it. The bacteria issue is also kind of an interesting issue. Raw beef obviously can contain bacteria. In fact, it's normal enough that ground beef is kind of treated as a higher risk food. It needs to be handled and cooked accordingly. You could have bacteria on a steak, obviously, but it's going to be on the surface. So if you sear that steak during the cooking process, you're going to kill it. When you grind up that beef, obviously, you're going to make that bacteria more widespread throughout the animal. And that's why it's a little harder to kill bacteria in a hamburger by cooking it. So if you like a raw, you know, fairly pink or red middle, there's a greater chance that you're going to have some bacteria in that that hasn't been killed in that process. So again, the question is, where does that come from? If you look at the process that that animal is going through, you bring it and you slaughter it, and you remove the hide and eviscerate it, and you remove all the intestines and whatnot, and then you cut it up and grind it and package it, and ultimately it goes into storage. So at any step through the way, I mean, you're, you're, it's a fairly traumatic experience for that animal. It's going from alive to dead and, and you're removing things from, from the body cavity that, you know, if something gets punctured, it could get on the meat. And, and then in that whole process, you can end up with, with bacteria. Of course, then once it's been harvested, you need good sanitation and good temperature control also to, to kind of control bacteria or try and prevent it. But the threat is going to be out there to some degree. And every once in a while, you hear of E. coli or something that breaks out that comes from an animal source. Now, obviously, lately, it's been more of a lettuce story. And we've seen it in spinach and things. So anytime you're eating, there's bacteria that can be introduced. Now, the good thing is that the USDA does test for that. And so we've probably got, I believe, I've been in a lot of slaughter facilities in my life, and every one of them that I've been in has been a federal facility. It's had government employees sitting right there along with the regular hourly employees, and they're pulling samples. Obviously, they don't test every item that comes along, but they pull samples continually, and they're constantly looking for it. So I think we've got a really... safe.
Speaker 5: Got control of that area.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what about our final question, the one about why are we importing beef? Isn't that hurting our farmers, our beef men, our cattlemen?
Speaker 7: Well... So if we think about that, the question kind of assumes that importing beef is kind of a minimal practice, and this is something that maybe the president is doing. Obviously, I think one of the reasons that it's happening is because of the affordability question. We've got midterm elections coming up, and obviously we'd love to see cheaper gas and cheaper groceries. So I think that's partly at play here. But another thing, if we talk about what they're bringing in, it was lean beef trimmings. And as you think about the way beef is produced in the United States, the majority of our beef is finished in feedlots. And so we have a beef that's very heavily or highly marbled, which just means there's a lot of fat on it, right? And so if you're going to have a hamburger that's 80-20 lean fat combination, for example, what they'll do is take the real fatty meat, portions of meat that aren't being left with steaks and whatnot and grind that up and then they want lean beef or lean trimmings that they could add into that to get the balance that that they're selling so really what they're bringing in is is lean cuts that to blend with uh with the more fatty cuts that we're getting out of our our feedlots to get like an 80 20 blender or whatever they're looking for in that in that beef yeah or in that hamburger well that makes sense if you look at them the amount of meat being brought in the United States in 2025, we brought in just shy of five and a half billion pounds of beef were imported in the United States. So yeah, this is a little bit of a surge and we're on pace this year to bring in just, just to touch over 6.1 billion pounds. So it sounds like a big deal. And it's certainly, I think it's significant. Maybe the hamburger price is, We're already bringing in over six billion pounds a year without this action. So it's, you know, I think it's easy to get spun up about things. You know, recently we talked about the whole story, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Recently we talked about how pricey beef is. So effectively, right now, cattle are getting prime pay. Cattlemen are getting prime pay for their beef, which is really good. So to help bring that down, and you mentioned that part of it was because of the drought and they have to rebuild the herds and all that kind of stuff. But while they're doing that and getting top dollar for their cattle, it's a good thing that we could import some to help bring down the price as well.
Speaker 5: Craig, it's always good to have you with us.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And if we go back to the safety issue, that meat is being inspected. Number one, the meat that's brought in the United States has to go through a slaughter facility in whatever the country of origin is that's been certified by the USDA as a plant that meets our standards. Oh, that's great. And then there's an export certification process. Excuse me. Then when it enters the United States, our USDA food safety re-inspection occurs on it. So it's not as if we're just taking these trimmings in and turning a blind eye to the safety of those as well. They're going through a pretty murderous process also there.
Speaker 5: Like normal, it's great to have you on. The insights are incredible.
Speaker 4: If you really want to know what the beef is, we just have to have Craig on because he'll let us know.
Speaker 5: And I feel better now. I hope you do too. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 4: If you have to go, join us on financialissues.org for the rest of the show.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, folks. It's wonderful to be here with you all today on Financial Issues. I hope you'll give us a call.
Speaker 2: Again, the phone number, 610-363-1110.
Speaker 3: Mark, we got a real good question here from Jean in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: And this is in reference, by the way, folks, to our commentary.
Speaker 3: Mark put out the commentary late yesterday.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of buy, hold, sell list changes, one addition to the buy list, one move to the sell list as well.
Speaker 3: But Jean, Mark is referencing the buy recommendation. It's IN66.
Speaker 2: And he's saying everything I see about this company indicates that it could or should be considered a tech company. We have it classified as an industrial, Mark. Should this be reclassified to tech rather than industrial?
Speaker 6: This was actually a conversation we had behind the scenes, wasn't it?
Speaker 5: It actually was. I was leaning the same way.
Speaker 4: But, you know, when I really looked into it, it comes down to that this is data processing and outsource services in the tech area. So effectively, that puts it into industrials. It's not a tech company, but it's services and it comes alongside and they help these services. These tech companies do these things. They don't do them for them. They actually come and they're hired to come in and help them be efficient and productive in doing these things.
Speaker 5: So it's more of an industrial.
Speaker 4: But here's the big but in this is that you can look at this and say, you know what? a large majority of who they do counsel, who they do come in and they guide is in the tech industry. So it kind of leans towards tech and you can do that. But it also leans towards insurance. It also leans towards other finance. It also leans towards all sorts of companies. So they're pretty much consultants is what they are. And that's in the industrial area. But it makes sense to me because of what you saw on that. You're looking at the major companies they consult are tech companies. Yep.
Speaker 3: It's awesome stuff. Gene, thanks for that question. It is a good one.
Speaker 2: I do hope you all will check out Mark's commentary as well. It's a great read this week as always. Mark, we have a pretty sizable audience on YouTube, and so always love to give a shout out to our YouTube folks.
Speaker 3: We've got a.
Speaker 2: Question here from one titled, the real pink elephant via YouTube.
Speaker 3: So the elephant in the room.
Speaker 6: I didn't know they existed, but we got the real one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. So- Here is this question from this person. Mark says, I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: So if you go to McDonald's, which supports LGBTQ parades, if you buy from McDonald's, if you want to get a Happy Meal or something like that, are you indirectly supporting the LGBTQ initiative?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's that's an excellent question there. Actually, the way that's asked is even good because, yeah, you are. Let's just say what it is.
Speaker 5: In one way or another, you are.
Speaker 4: When you buy something at a company, let's say McDonald's, since you brought that.
Speaker 5: Up, your money will go in.
Speaker 4: It'll pay for the overhead, the cost, the people working there, the burgers, the fries, everything that's there. And there'll be a profit from that, that they could take a portion of that and utilize it in a way like they do at McDonald's to promote indirectly or support LGBTQ. So your money from your patronage of that company can go to there.
Speaker 5: It's different, however, than owning the stock.
Speaker 4: When you own a stock, you are actually, when you own stock in a company, you become an owner of that company.
Speaker 5: So now you're walking lock-armed stock. side by side with them saying, it doesn't matter what this company does.
Speaker 4: I'm going to profit from it. If it profits, I'm going to stand with them on this. You are endorsing it with your money. You are locking arms with them and you're actually participating in both the good things.
Speaker 5: They do and the bad things.
Speaker 4: For example, if, if you invested in a company that cured cancer, you would be participating in that cure because you're one of the owners and you would receive a probably royalties or income from the patents that they have. If that company also created an abortion product, you would be participating in that. So it's a little bit different than just patronizing. Remember, Jesus walked.
Speaker 5: The Roman roads. There was no other roads for him to walk.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes we have to realize we're in the world and not of the world. And that's that's where we come from. But I, I'll tell you what I really respect. And I really appreciate your, your position here because I, Doing both is really the ultimate. If you believe a company is offensive to God and therefore you don't invest in it and become a partner with it because you don't want anything to do with participating in the sin of that company, and then you don't utilize the service or products of that company because you don't want to support them financially.
Speaker 6: Either.
Speaker 4: I think you're doing a good thing. I really do honor that.
Speaker 5: I think it's a great thing.
Speaker 4: Yet, we don't want to turn this into anybody who uses a cell phone, because all the cell phone companies, anybody making a cell phone would fall.
Speaker 5: Short of biblical responsible.
Speaker 4: So therefore, nobody should use a cell phone, or nobody should drive an automobile to Because I don't know if there's any automobile company that is clean off the top of my head. Nobody should buy clothes that are manufactured by the majority of the major manufacturers. So we'd all have to go naked. What I'm saying is. there's some things that if we God calls us not to be perfect because we're not but to do everything we can when we can otherwise we'd have to live in a compound that's that is totally walled off from the rest of the world we need to be in this world I believe it's a good thing. I commend those who say, you know what, I don't shop at Target because of what they do, and I won't own Target as a– I won't become an owner in Target as well because of– the, what they have done and how they propagated LGBTQ stuff.
Speaker 5: I respect that. And I commend that.
Speaker 4: But we should not, um, we should not become legalistic in the sense that, uh, just because somebody drove through McDonald's with their 13 children, um, because there was nowhere else that they could feed them or whatever store it is, and this is all the money they have, and at least they could get a kitty burger for everybody or something like that.
Speaker 5: We have to be very careful about that. We have to have grace and compassion. But if you're able to do that, praise God.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well said, Mark. You know, Lisa makes a good point here, Mark, as well.
Speaker 2: She even says even a mom and pop burger joint, we don't necessarily know what they spend profits on.
Speaker 3: We live in this world. What are you going to do? I think she's exactly right. It is a matter of conscience.
Speaker 2: And if your conscience allows you to and enables you to be able to say, you know what, I'm not even going to patronize them, absolutely go for it. Mark, the way I see it is if I'm taking an ownership position, that's where I draw the line. And if I can not patronize at certain places, I'll do my best not to.
Speaker 5: But I won't hold that as tightly. And you know what? You probably know better than I.
Speaker 4: Is it Romans 14 that talks about eating meat titles?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: We know there is no other God, so it's okay for us to eat meat. But if it causes my brother to stumble, then I won't eat that meat. That's the thing that's really important. is we do what we can, and then we trust God for the results of it. And obviously, we want to think of others before ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well said. It's a great question there, Pink Elephant. Thanks for asking it over on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Very, very good question.
Speaker 3: Mark, we got a good one here from Jerry as well. Jerry inherited a trust from a parent.
Speaker 2: 95% of it is in one stock, so it is not diversified. It's a large amount. It's seven figures. And he wants to diversify as quickly as possible. How long should he spread out the sale of the stocks?
Speaker 4: Jerry, a lot of that depends, of course, on the tax consequences. I don't know how you inherited this. It sounds like you inherited maybe directly, I don't know, in the trust.
Speaker 5: Is it in the trust? Is it out of the trust? Was it?
Speaker 4: Was there step up basis in it? If there's step up basis in it, because you inherited it, then you can move fairly quickly. And when I say fairly quickly, you could sell some off today, sell some off next week, maybe over the month, sell it off so that you, you know, you don't cost.
Speaker 5: You know, a big million dollars. It may not be dependent on the company.
Speaker 4: It could affect if it's small cap, it could affect the price and it could start to stumble as you're selling it off.
Speaker 5: So you want to be careful like that.
Speaker 4: But you sell it off and, and, bring it down to proportionate for your portfolio, and.
Speaker 5: Then you don't have to reinvest it all at once.
Speaker 4: Don't confuse diversifying out of it to diversifying your portfolio. Diversifying out of it means getting it to cash, put it in a money market, or maybe put it in an ETF like the Timothy Plan fixed income to hold while you're buying back into other areas and building your portfolio. So depending on the tax consequences would really determine the timeframe on there. If it doesn't have a step-up basis, then you may have a huge capital gains in there, and that could affect your taxes seriously.
Speaker 5: So you want to take it step-by-step in that case.
Speaker 4: I still wouldn't let the taxes wag the dog.
Speaker 5: I would use it as.
Speaker 4: To be careful, but still, the risk of 95% in one stock is way too big to just sit on.
Speaker 5: So move as quickly as possible based.
Speaker 4: On your tax consequence of it. If it's got a huge gain and it's no step-up basis because of the type of the trust and Trust can.
Speaker 5: Be very heavy in taxes.
Speaker 4: Then take it step by step, maybe over the next six months. Otherwise, move it as quickly as you can over a month or two into cash or into other things.
Speaker 5: That's what I would do. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: You know what you should also do, folks?
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, Mark doesn't have to do this because he wrote the book, but you all should get your hands on the copy of Wall Street Awakening right here, Mark's book that he published several years ago.
Speaker 3: Make a donation to the ministry of any amount, financialissues.org. Click donate.
Speaker 2: Make sure to put in the subject line that you'd like a copy of the Wall Street Awakening. And if you want several copies, we'll give.
Speaker 3: You several as well. Get your copy, Wall Street Awakening. Great read. Mark, I'm proud to say I've finished it. It's an awesome book. Love it.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, there's something else that's really awesome in that you can have your questions answered right here on Financial Issues Live by calling 610-363-1110.
Speaker 6: That's 610-363-1110.
Speaker 5: You got 15 minutes today to get them in.
Speaker 6: The opinions and recommendations expressed on this program do not necessarily represent the opinions of the station or any of the program's sponsors. Additionally, all products or services offered by the program's sponsors may not be known by the program.
Speaker 2: Mark, we had a great follow-up question in our chat from Patty in Indiana asking, Mark, if you inherit a stock from a trust, does that mean the step-up basis cannot be applied?
Speaker 4: No, not necessarily. It really depends on the type of trust. For example, normally with a revocable trust, a living trust, that's usually part of the estate still. It just bypasses probate, but it's still part of the estate. So effectively, that can and almost always does get seen as part of the estate and therefore gets the step-up basis. The area that people get hurt in is if it's an irrevocable trust. Then it's not part of the state. So oftentimes, unless there's something different about this, there's no step-up basis. So you have to be careful about that. It's the trust type that determines it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Makes sense.
Speaker 3: Patty, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: Guys, the markets yesterday, they fell to close the month of August by Monday's bell. You saw the Dow Jones down three quarters of a percent, S & P down a third, NASDAQ basically flat.
Speaker 3: It's the September swoon.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I was going to say that, Sam. The markets have opened red, and I'm wondering, oh, no, are we in the swoon?
Speaker 5: Is it September again?
Speaker 6: We did an episode on that, folks.
Speaker 5: Just look up September swoon in the search.
Speaker 9: It's not real.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: Mark, we are seeing oil is up about 3% this morning with the latest news of so-called peace talks in Iran.
Speaker 3: So we'll just have to see what's going on there. That was a joke, obviously. They're not peace talks.
Speaker 5: Because they're on, off, on, off, on, off.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 5: I think they're off now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Except I heard Trump last night say they're on. You just don't know about it. We're talking behind the scenes as we drop bombs on their heads.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: So, Mark, your target that you've said before on the show is if we can get oil down to the 60s range, $ 60 a barrel range, that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: Is there still any chance of that? It's $ 88 a barrel right now.
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think the administration is doing a lot of good stuff to make that happen. The Argentina deal, the drilling that's going on, the building of a new processing plant, you know, to turn the crude into gasoline and diesel and all the other things.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 4: We could see that it's not going to happen overnight, folks, but it's going to happen and it's going to prepare us for the future.
Speaker 5: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Hey, why don't we go to John here? John's in Alabama. John, welcome to Financial Issues. Welcome to our show.
Speaker 9: Thank you. Glad to be on. And I appreciate financial issues for not investing in China, because maybe a lot of people don't know that if you invest in companies in China, you're investing in the CCP, and then you're investing in killing Americans' military.
Speaker 4: And babies, and Chinese babies, and enslaving wiggers to make tennis shoes and so many ugly things.
Speaker 5: That China does. They're our enemy. Why would we invest in them?
Speaker 9: Right, John? And Christians, yep. Don't forget the Christians that they're enslaved to make the Christmas lights that we buy. It's a sad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: John, thank you for bringing that up because that's very important. I can remember back in early 2000, I was being berated by other biblical responsible investment managers because I refused to invest in China. Because every Chinese domestic corporation has.
Speaker 5: A board of directors. At least one of the board members.
Speaker 4: Is from the CCP and they have more influence. It didn't matter if they were just one out of 12 people. If they said something, it got done. That was the bottom line. So effectively when you invest in any Chinese corporation, you are investing in China. That's why even if a company only has 51% or 52% ownership in an American company, we won't own it anymore because the influence is too strong there. And they do stack the board and do things like that. John, you're absolutely right. Thank you, brother, for your love for the Lord and bringing that up.
Speaker 9: Thank you. And I purchased three books and I'm planning on giving two away and I'll give the third one away after I read it. I got it last night. So thank you very much, John. So I started reading it and man, it is on point right at the beginning. It's must read for every Christian. Thank you. Have a blessed day.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, brother. You know, God gave that to me. I didn't write it.
Speaker 4: You read my op-eds, you know, there's Didn't you say there was a new op-ed posted of mine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is, Mark. As of this morning, we got a new op-ed out, yours posted on Town Hall. Check it out, folks. Debt, the new author of America.
Speaker 6: By the way, you can see all of his op-eds by going to our newsroom page at the top of financialissues.org.
Speaker 7: Awesome.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's all great.
Speaker 4: But if you read those, you can see there's a little bit different than my book because over a third of my book is actually biblical verses.
Speaker 5: Bible verses.
Speaker 3: It's really like a devotional book, Mark. I mean, it reads like a devotional.
Speaker 5: Well, the first half is a devotional. Plagiarize the Bible. The first, almost the first half is. Is a devotional because that prepares the heart.
Speaker 4: Then the second half is writing, what does it mean to invest with biblical integrity? And it gives you the real world perspective, you know, the wise is a serpent. How do you utilize wisdom to invest in a way that honors God? You know, how do you choose stocks? How do you choose a broker if you want somebody else to do it? All that kind of information is in there. So, John, thank you for for that. Uh, just so people know they can get, they can get a copy of, of the wall street awakening.
Speaker 5: How do they do that?
Speaker 2: So the best place to do it, Mark is go to financial issues.org and make a donation. Uh, you can undercut Amazon if you want to, cause you can make a donation of any amount. Uh, you can get it at Amazon as well, Mark, of course, but if you, if you get it, you know, right from us, we'll send you as many copies as you'd like within reason.
Speaker 3: Uh, and we've even got some signed copies left Mark.
Speaker 2: So you can get a signed Mark Manila vintage signature with his Hancock signature.
Speaker 3: One of those with it so yeah just.
Speaker 2: Go to financial go to financialissues.org click the donate button and then in the subject line just make a note that you'd like a copy or several copies of mark's book.
Speaker 4: And realize if you go out to Amazon or some bookstore and you get it, any of the profits from that do go to my wife's and I, 501c3, where we help individuals who are financially struggling.
Speaker 3: So you don't need to undercut that then.
Speaker 4: And then if you go directly to financial issues and get it, all the money goes there.
Speaker 5: That's awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Why don't we go to Oscar? Oscar, welcome to financial issues. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Mike.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 5: So I cannot know this one, but I just want to make sure.
Speaker 7: What exactly is money market?
Speaker 5: What exactly is a money market?
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: A money market is just an.
Speaker 4: Investment instrument, usually by banks or financial institutions. And what they do is you put money in a money market. It's effectively lending that money to the bank or financial institution, but they take that, they take the money and they relend it out to many people, but they also invest that money in something like a short-term treasuries or something that's very, uh, very safe in general that also is secured by FDIC. So if there's fraud or something, it doesn't go away. But also that doesn't have a lot of volatility in it.
Speaker 5: It's just affected by the interest rates. Did that make sense, Oscar?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that helps.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of like anything like bonds, CDs, things like that?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I didn't hear the full question there. Is that like a CV, a.
Speaker 4: Bond? Yes, it fits in the same category as that, but it's even a little bit, it's totally liquid. There's money market checking accounts, there's money market savings accounts.
Speaker 5: Unlike a bond.
Speaker 4: You'd have to go out to a brokerage, some brokerage to utilize a bond, a CD you could get at a bank, but they tie it up. They say, hey, we'll give you a little bit more interest than a money market account, but you have to leave it in. for the six month or one year or three year period to get this additional interest rate on it so they lock it up with penalties to say all right if you do take it out before then then you're going to lose the interest or a portion of the interest that we would that you would have received or something like that so uh it's just a very flexible um probably one of the safest areas to put money we normally wouldn't put money in there and just leave it oscar because it it barely if it even does keep up with inflation and taxes so after taxes and inflation you're probably going backwards by leaving money in a money market account however it is a great place for you to store money as you're trying to figure out where to deploy it to let's say that you just sold off some really big it firm that uh that now it got too big in your portfolio and you pruned it back and you.
Speaker 5: Have all this extra cash.
Speaker 4: Well, instead of letting it sit in a cash, because usually just cash doesn't earn hardly anything, 0.0001% or something like that, you put it in a money market at the brokerage or at the bank, and then you get maybe 1%, 2%, or 3% as you're trying to figure out where do you want to deploy this money to in your portfolio. So it's a great place to hold money while you're making decisions. That's my primary use of it. Or it's a great place to hold money for the short term if you have some big expenses coming up, like within the next three or six months, then put it in the market where it could be at risk. So you put it in the money market so it's there, and then you have it when you need to replace that car, that refrigerator, or pay the people for remodeling your kitchen or however you're you think about that. So Oscar, I really appreciate your calling that because it helps define that for people. I also want to thank you for loving the Lord and being a great steward by investing with biblical integrity. And I want to thank all of you for being here with us and loving the Lord and investing with biblical integrity. Look forward to seeing you real soon. How about like tomorrow morning? So rev up that dialing finger, 610-363-1110. We'll get to your questions in the morning.
Speaker 1: If we ever forget that we're one nation under God,