Speaker 1: Eight oh five. Here fifty five KRCD talk station, Happy Friday tgif bottom of the hour, we're gonna hear from Lori Flake. She's with the Karen Wellington Foundation. They're doing a five K coming up. Karen Wellington, the victim of breast cancer. Just love to have fun, and apparently that's what she was all about. So in her name, they've been well sending folks that are struggling with cancer diagnosis to fund to fun events, fun things to do like skydiving and other things, and of course the charity funds that work. So Laurie at the bottom of the are. In the meantime, I am so happy to have in studio. What an inspirational guy. Truth to power. Andre Ewing a n d are e Ewing e wyng. I say it and spell it out loud, because I want you to head over to his Facebook page. Just search for Andre Ewing. You'll see him. You'll see Curse Breakers three hundred. You always mentioned Curse Breakers three hundred. Andre. Welcome back, man, It's so cool to see you.
Speaker 2: Hey, brother Brown's so happy to be here. I'm excited and once again on fire.
Speaker 1: Okay, real quick, here put some context before we start diving into this. If you've been ranting about it of late, and Lord knows you have enough subject matter to go on a rant. Curse Breaker three hundred, what's that all about? What's behind that moniker?
Speaker 2: It developed through the prison system of trying to help returning citizens. So even as a police officer, I got tired of dropping them off at the justice center and that was it. So I wanted to assist and help them to get out. So I was trying to let them know that you can break these strongholds on your life. So I would go inside the prisons and tell them you can identify the curse. You can confront this curse and have the power once you identified it and you've confronted it to overpower this stronghold on you be able to move it out the way and then destroy it. And there is Cursebreakers three hundred. It goes with Gideon's three hundred actually from the Bible Judges seven seven people related to the movie to three hundred. But it shows that this is an elite group and together we can defeat and beat Millias if necessary.
Speaker 1: Well, that's beautiful. You know the idea that you know thirty years as a police officer and again thanks to your service to the community over all those years. I'm sure you have stories that we could talk about for hours and hours of what you've seen and lived through as a police officer. But the idea that you would, you know, move from your role as a law enforcer locking people up, to go into the lock up and try to get them from stopping from preventing them from being a recipibus criminal. You know, when you get out, there's a better path. I wish more officers would would go down that road. Do you think it really does some good?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it does some good. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: One thing that was interesting in that journey is that a lot of negativity, obviously that the inmates would have. And I was doing a series there on forgiveness, and for at least two months they actually did not know who I was being inside the prison because I was engaging with them, going through church service with them, and I actually said, you've never asked, and I never told you what my profession is. Didn't now I'm a uniform off So I sat there and told them, look, I said, I'm a Cincinnati police officer. And at that time you could have heard a pin drop, and they looked at me and said, no, brother Dre, you're not because you've treated us fair, You've washed our feet, you showed us love. You sat in here with us as if nothing was wrong. And I said, this is the way. I know you've been offended in certain cases. I know you've gotten extra charges on you, but I'm showing you forgiveness is the right way. And when a young man stood up and said, when I was going to leave here, I was going to assassinate a police officer until you were here, and now I am not, it showed the impact that there needs to be serious conversations and these inmates say, who have been done wrong? But police officers, we can together by the power of God.
Speaker 3: It shows that we can heal well.
Speaker 1: And you also you pointed out through illustration that the police officers, generally speaking, aren't bad people.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, I mean there's this entire narrative that every police officer is bad. Right, No, I mean I've worked with them. Are there bad cops? Absolutely absolutely? And have how I identified and even spoken out on these things. And this is why in the past I ran for Sentinel president that would have a voice to address these matters.
Speaker 3: Of civil rights and equal rights.
Speaker 2: But the peers felt that I was too vocal and they didn't want somebody vocal to speak out on the behalfs of police officers.
Speaker 1: I understand that, and you are outspoken, Like I said Andre Ewing on Facebook, You'll see exactly what I'm talking about. All right now, pivoting over your most recent rant, some strong words directed at Iris Rawli now having been a police officer, she was recently involved in a bit of a a verbal altercation with the police officer. Was she preventing him from performing his job? And isn't that a citable offense when you look right, when you look at it. What's your take on that most recent interaction with this insane police Police Department officer?
Speaker 2: First of all, was a from my it was officer. Her a female and she apparently works down at Finley Marketing, does a phenomenal job. I heard She's only been on about four years and she works the community. She's out on foot and she's trying to make sure that the streets are clear and when she gets complaints, and based on this interaction, Miss Rowley approaches her during this investigation. She already knew the subject. The subject was calm, and she still interfeares and she asks, ma'am, could you please just stand over there? She said, I don't absolutely have to do nothing. I'm going to follow you. And she was right in between the subject and the police officer, which is extremely dangerous.
Speaker 1: That's outrageous. Yes, now, could the officer have cited her for that because she was performing her duty as a police officer and Irish really got in between her and I don't want the subject the purp whatever, but that impeded her ability to do her job and complete the investigation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely obstruction of official business. And this officer was totally professional. They were polite, they were on point, and showed high integrity and that's what should be praised even in this moment. But there's things that need to be identified or you going to be an activist or you going to be a representation even for the public. But your words is that you need to put an officer on your list, and they get on your list, then you may be able to get them fired. How does that boost the morale of police officers? Knowing that this individual is working in city council.
Speaker 1: Well, she has been an outspoken critic of the police department generally speaking, I mean speck since the riots, that's where she came to prominence.
Speaker 2: Correct, Correct, And I've always said that that Irish Rollie has done some great work. There were some things that were needed and necessary in the city and in dealing with policing.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, but collaborative. Correct. But when you move to this.
Speaker 2: Degree, what exactly is your motive at this particular point. We need to understand that if you, as a city leader, are telling everyone that police are no good, we don't need police disregard what they say, and this is a leader who has a high influence on the community, then we need to redirect our energy and find out what exactly is going on here because this does not help police relations well certainly.
Speaker 1: And circling back to your interactions with the folks that have been arrested. We're in the prison system. A guy wants to get out of jail and kill a police officer. Andre Ewing shows up and shows a different side of the police department and a different side of who these officers are, and you completely change his heart and mind. Meanwhile, Iris ROLI's out there maintaining that sort of broad brush perception of the police department, suggesting that all of them are bad.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, and this helps no one.
Speaker 1: No, and that this is what Smithman screams about all the time. How come are elected officials, the council members, city manager not elected, I understand, but the mayor aren't coming out in more strongly saying positive things about the police, you know, like you do pointing out the contrary narrative. This is what role models should be doing in order to bring about the better sense of saya and a greater willingness of everybody within the city to work with the police and not consider them an enemy from the get go. Yes, that silence is a really terrible thing. Iris is saying it out loud, but the silence from the elected officials sort of adds to it. Oh, it must be true what Iris is saying. The mayor hasn't come out and said anything to the contrary exactly.
Speaker 2: And I've always stated this, Every elected official on council should do a ride along with the police at least once once a week, at least once a week, and rotate on different shifts every week, because it amazes me how you quarterback the job, but you refuse to get in the seat to see exactly what we do. And I've challenged individuals on that. I've even when I was on the force, I had told the city manager, please ride along because there are things that you just don't know about that you sit in this seat, then your optics will be completely changed. So don't quarterback an officer's position until you get in that hot seat on a regular basis, because I can say that Smitherman years ago did ride along with me, and he had a different perception on certain circumstances where he even said, I can't believe you didn't taste that guy, because I wouldn't taste said exactly looking different in the eyes of a police officer.
Speaker 1: Will continue with Andre Ewing again. Head on to the Facebook and check him out and some of the rants he goes on. You're gonna love what he has to say. Eight to sixteen. Will continue with Andre after these brief words.
Speaker 3: Fifty five krc our higher.
Speaker 4: Here's your Channa nine first one in wabolecasts hot, humid and a chance of afternoon range eighty nine for the high, sixty nine over night with a few clouds, ninety for the heigh tomorrow with mostly sunny skies. Hot humid and rain in the afternoon sixty nine every night with a few clouds and round three Sunday hot humid rain in the afternoon ninety one for the high sixty nine. Right now, let's get a traffic update.
Speaker 5: Chuck from the UCU Transit Center near the sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ translanner from multicultural communities. Give the gift of vife. Become an organ donor or it's more a living donation at uchelp dot com slash transplant. He's found seventy four shut down due to an accident. Before you get to the state line, traffic is back in up past the Brookville Ramp northbound seventy five slows a bit through the cut, then heavy out of Saint Bernard to an accident near Gabra Seth found seventy five slows out of lock on two ingram on fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: This eight nineteen on a Friday. Happy Friday to you extra special Happy Friday. Andre Ewing in studio after thirty years of service the Cincinnata Police Department, engaging in community activistm like he did when he was on the police force, going into the prisons and trying to talk how to break the curse, this concept of curse breakers three hundred das behind. But we're pivoting over to some of the issues he's been on a ramp about of late. You know, iris Roli be included among those. She I guess she's serving no other role with the Pervoll administration as than some sort of paid advisor Andre if I got that right.
Speaker 2: That is what I've been told is she's a paid advisor, and she works as an advisor for the mayor, the chief, and the city manager.
Speaker 1: As a consultant, okay, and obviously not being consulted to smooth things over with the police department, considering she's going after them all the time. And I know you've given her props for her work dealing with the collaborative agreement after the riots, and she has some you know, some good points under her name, But in her role right now as an activist, and considering the direction she goes with her activism, I got to imagine the only purpose she serves with the with the Pervoll administration is that she's got such a profound, strong voice within the black community that she gets in votes.
Speaker 2: Well how can I say it that Brother Smithman said it the best. What exactly is your role? You're getting paid by the city tax dollars? What is your role? Right and until the city administration allows it to be very clear and what she can and cannot do, this will be a mystery to city tax payers at this particular time.
Speaker 1: And Ken Coober, the FOP president, did file a complaint against her for some of the things she said out loud, but the city just issued a report giving her a pass saying no, this was not in her role in any capacity with the city Erico, she said these things and her role as a private citizen. Nothing to see here. I'm not quite sure that I buy that anyway. One of the things we talked about off break or on the break, you wanted to bring up the whole idea of District five and the elimination of District five and how that actually impacts the former District five residents.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, And I just want to ask first thing, deepest condolences to Krishanda Sierra Wynn, who lost her life I made to a tragedy shooting. And to say that this is not a threat to the public or community. If the individuals or individuals have not been found, then it's still a threat.
Speaker 1: As of right now, the best of my knowledgy, they have not gotten the person who's responsible for killing her.
Speaker 3: Absolute tragedy. It really is so understand.
Speaker 2: That District five was located at A ten twelve lud Low, Okay right at during nineteen fifty seven to twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Now it was moved due to.
Speaker 2: Complaints about it was cramped and unhealthy conditions, which I can speak for because I worked at District five and it was cramped and it was unhealthy. So now it's occupied by the park board and been renovated.
Speaker 3: But now let's move further.
Speaker 2: Twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three, District five moves to fifty eight to thirty seven Hamilton Avenue.
Speaker 3: So you have them from.
Speaker 2: Ludlow that was close to right there, to UC that needs the police as well. You move them a little further way up on Hamilton Avenue. Now they say this was a citywide redistricting plan that consolidated police district.
Speaker 3: Now listen to this.
Speaker 2: District five Serve College Hill, Mount Airy, North Side, Camp Washington, Whitten Hills, Spring Grove, Village, Clifton, and the cuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's gone now.
Speaker 2: Now District three had to take over College Hill, mount Airy, north side of Camp Washington. District three is on Ferguson Avenue, Price Hill area, deep west side. Now imagine the officer leaving that location trying to find the best route to get to College Hill Man Montanare Queen City's erect bootn is crowded, Glen Way is cloud crowded. So you're trying to get down to Montana and to work your way up Coraine and cross over to get to Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Imagine the time it takes. And now the officer.
Speaker 2: Gets there, does a police report, realizes hey, I got to do this report, file some property and do extra work and.
Speaker 3: Drive back to District three.
Speaker 2: And people wonder why these issues and police times are are are now getting less and less on.
Speaker 1: Time longer and longer. Yes, sir, well, that's explained that completely, and all the officers added in the world can't change that reality if they got to make that trip.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 1: So not only short officers, we got them like ten gazillion miles away from where something might have happened.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so when we have people say what took you so long? Why do you get here? Trust me, officers want to get here. But what's interesting is data analysis and efficiency. According to the city manager stated that this shift presented.
Speaker 3: The best permanent solution for.
Speaker 2: The department moving forward, and the chief stated a response time have been carefully analyzed and would not be neglatively affected.
Speaker 1: Come on blind, because you say it out loud doesn't make it true.
Speaker 2: Now look at it again right now, and from this leadership, this is what we see is a travesty on why our police cannot get to locations on time. You just do not remove an entire police district from a community and say safety is my number one priority.
Speaker 1: And it would know better than someone who did it for thirty years, that man Andre Ewing in studio speaking truth to power and putting some solid ideas behind what he's saying. Andre Ewing on Facebook, you got a spot here in the morning show. Andre I love hearing from you, and you're always welcome to come in and chime in on your thoughts and comments.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: It's been a pleasure having mate to have a fantastic weekend. It's eight twenty six right now, fifty five ks to the talk station. Getting some love together for charity. Lordy Flori Flake's gonna tell us all about the Karen Wellington Foundation and the upcoming five K. Sounds like a fabulous organization. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station, so free