Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfier.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 3: Us in the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech Texan.
Speaker 4: It was to make life.
Speaker 2: Easier new technology. So Michael Garfield has something you might like. Michael Garfield is your high tech Texan. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now your high tech Texan. Michael Garfield, What is up?
Speaker 1: What is up? Two hours of fun? I do think you for tuning in, no matter how and where you were listening, We're gonna have some fun. If you're listening live or plause be live, because I know we do repeat this show a few times over the weekend on APRC nine sixty am. You can try to call if you have any questions, because we do talk about some hard hitting things, not we actually are going to have fun. I am here to entertain you, whether we do it Saturday afternoon, late Saturday night, Sunday at night. Two. The phone number here if you want to try seven one three two one two five nine five.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm here just entertain you as you're driving around, You're baby driving through. It's the southeastern part of Texas, in and out of Louisiana, and if you're listening on iHeart Radio, well it's a it's a hot new way to do it, and that did not exist what I started this program twenty two plus years ago. No, it was just over the year radio. But now you can take us everywhere you go download the I Heart Radio app. Of course it'll be podcasted after and some of the things that we do talk about. It's called the High Tech Texan Show Number one. I am based in Texas without a doubt. I'm proud to be a Texan, which is why I named in trademark my moniker that way. I started twenty plus years ago talking a lot about specifically and only technology, and it's lackable. One of the things that we're going to talk about today is how there's a lot of retro technology that is coming back today. It is not just you know, vinyl records or record players. That's a lot of other things, including gaming, but now it is much more of the technology. And so for those of you before clicking the radio off, going oh man, the guy's going to talk above my head and he's going to help me fix my computer. I've actually never done that in the twenty plus years because I tell you what new computers to buy or what laptops to buy, but also I talk about cars and trucks and travel and fashion and interesting news in the world of pop culture. I'm just again, I'm never shoving longtime listeners. No, I don't shove any politics down your face. I am a fan of the Dallas cout Boys in Texas Longhorns, and so you're going to get a little little of that. But after last week, I'm actually not going to talk a lot about the Longhorns. We will see what happens this weekend in Nashville at Vanderbilt. So yes, so I do talk a lot about sports too. So it's a potpourri just like a Jeopardy category that we're here for you. That is our good man, Callum Reid. He is on the other side of the glass, Gallum Good. Callum and I we hung out together for a bit earlier this week at a gun range. We had a radio client defend at Texas Gun Club in Stafford, Texas, on the southwest side of Houston. Good seeing him a man and did you shoot or not? Callum? You were kind of just hanging around the greenoes lunch spread that they had. I didn't see you in the shooting range, man, but I brought a few of my guns. I belong to, actually do belong to Texas Gun Club, and I should go there more often. I belong to a country this country club. So I golf not a lot when it's hot. So this is golfing season two, and about ten minutes away is the gun club too. I should go there more often because it's fun shooting, fun shooting. I've got a whole array of and this is what we do in Texas. People. We have guns. A lot of peoples have guns, and we're very responsible though at least I know I am. So I whipped out my several nine millimeters. I had a forty. I didn't shoot my forty five. I have a beautiful forty five, and I don't know. I didn't see the AMMO for that. But I have, you know my everyday carry piece. Is that what we call it? So back away people, back away. I have the six hour P three sixty. That's a great model. I have a Smith and Wesson, even about my little twenty two just to play around with Pink Peeter and pew pew, and did not bring any of my other shotguns or ars. But that's okay. But anyway, it's good scene. It caw many time you want to go back to the gun club, Texas gun Club. I am your guy, and uh, but that was nice seeing you. But so no, Callum is my The point of this is this is Callum keeps us on the air, keeps us running. Uh, you bleep out any of the bad words that I say, you could bleep them out, you have to bleep them out over the ear. J Are we allowed to keep them in on the podcast, Callum. So that's that's going to cause more pain for you because you're gonna have to edit. And you know, as I'm John, I'm I'm the nice guy on air. I'm just going I just want to make things easy for everybody I work with, and so I'll try to refrain from many of the four letter for bombs over here. But feel free to open up a call and we have a dump button waiting for you. All right down to business people. I actually I'm going to talk a little about technology, about a technology I don't talk about a lot because I'm not an Apple guy. Really, I'm an Android, dude, Apple iOS. Has anybody downloaded the up updated Apple operating system, the Apple I for their iPhones. I told you last week what to do to prepare your iPhone for the iOS eighteen. I also said last week that something tells me eighteen point one, the upgraded version is coming, because that's how software is released. They release it, people find a bug, it doesn't work, and so within a matter of days, not hours, the second version comes and that's where they put the point or the dot eighteen dot one. Well, guess what, not only within one week as I predicted, Apple iOS eighteen point one is already out. They just did out. Apple just announced eighteen point two is coming out soon for developers to play with. And so it's it's a cat and mouse a game. But I do recommend in most cases if you have a little trupidation about downloading it because you don't want to do software download. You're used to what you're using. At some point, if you don't upgrade your software or your firmware or any product that you have, your product is going to become obsolete. The companies no longer support it whatsoever. So I just I just download them and cross my fingers and suck it up. You do want to make sure you back up everything on your phone, put it to the iCloud, or connect it to your computer, no matter what you're upgrading to try to do that. But if anybody has updated or used the iOS eighteen or eighteen point one, let me know. We're some of the new features Apple Intelligence, their version of AI, and I just want to let you know that that is out here too. Other things when we come back. Talked last week. Also, you know what this show is going to turn into. Hey, remember we talked about this seven days ago, and life changes so fast. There's already something change. I told you last week how the FTC, the Federal Trade Commission, is trying to put into law to make it easier to unsubscribe from things in newsletters, cables, subscriptions, streaming services. Because it's easy to have one click and to subscribe services. But it's like jumping through hoops and walking through the middle Earth to unsubscribe some things. The FTC wants to make it easier. Well, that was the news last week, the click to cancel rule. All right, Well, guess what. The FTC is already being sued by probably some of the companies you expect to sue it for this stuff. Man, I'll tell you, well, what kind of trouble times do we live in? Love to hear from you? High tech texting dot com? Spell the whole thing now, Michael Gourdfield is a name. We're gonna be right back. See. All it takes is four or five minutes of a few commercials to keep this radio show for free. We don't charge you a cent. We just we give you content like I'm doing right now, and then we give you some ideas of where to shop. Maybe we give some things away, and that keep shit tied to the radio. By the way, speaking giving things away, I'll put you something right now. Let's just jump into it, man. That's what radio is about. Promotions. Total wireless if you're familiar with that, mini stores here and around the Houston area, across the state of Texas, across the country. Here in h Town to Houston area. If you're listening, there's a company called Victra Victrra. They own i think ten twelve thirteen total wireless stores. They offer everything from phones really really good data plans to save you some money that you don't need to spend with the big boys. Even though they use the same cell service. They've got five G home wireless internet. That's right. You don't need to pay all the money for all your cable internet. You buy a router, you set it up in your home and your office. It pulls down five G high speed Internet through the router and then it just it sends it out over Wi Fi throughout your home or your office.
Speaker 4: To do.
Speaker 1: Gotta give away a twenty dollars gift card right now. Callum much find us a winner color number ten seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh, we will get that to you. You can walk into any one of the Victor owned Total Wireless stores here and you can use twenty dollars. Just put it towards some of you put it towards. Do you have a cover for your phone? Make sure you always have a cover because if you drop that bad boy, you can get expensive. And so there you go. So we will, uh, we're gonna give that away. Also have some more. I got another gift card to Cobo Bob's baby, Big Cobo Bob. You're hungry, you like yourself some good burritos, tacos silence Cobo Bobs four locations in Houston. They're also on Austin too, So we got that for you. Not now, we will tell you when that is. So, if you listened last week, I was talking about this new Federal Trade Commission, they are trying to start what's called a new rule click to cancel, that requires companies to make it very simple, very easy to cancel subscriptions anything from newsletters to cable to it gets out of your water to your Colligan belt, which is causing me headaches and pains when cull again, I'm looking at you what anyway? I like it because if you think about it, it's so simple to sign up for anything. One click, you're done, Amazon, one purchase, put it there, you go. None but to cancel. You try to cancel your cable bill, cancel something, it's your gym membership. Oh ye ei, sit down and prepare to I don't know. It will waste five hours, if not more, of your time. It's a pain. Well, last week or so, FDC says, Okay, we're gonna make it easy. We just need to just get through this. We're gonna run it out there. Well guess what. Three three industry groups, The Electronic Security Association, the Interactive Advertising Bureau and the NCTA. Being asked what that is, they're already suing. They're suing the Federal Trade Commission from a forcing it's clicked to cancel rule. And yes, the groups opposing it represent exactly the names you'd expect, because the member companies who profit from subscriptions that are very simple to start yet hard to stop. They're part of this stuff. The NCTA, it's the Internet and Television Association. They represent service providers like Comcast, Charter Cos. They represent Disney, AMC, Paramount, Warner Brothers, YIP seven hundred members. They include almost any company connected to advertising, Google, Netflix, Amazon, metaut goes on and on and on. They said, no, no, we're going to sue. Well, of course they want to sue. They want to make it hard for you to cancel. Looking forth over here, the group's lawyers argued that the FTC is trying to quote regulate consumer contracts for all companies in all industries and across all sectors of the economy unquote, by attempting to forbid business from making customers handsle services using a method that differs from how they signed up. Okay, here's my opinion. Who cares what method you use to sign up and cancel. If I go buy a car, I'm gonna use one method. But if I want to sell a car, I can use many different methods. I mean, come on, man, let me know many subscriptions and this is it, each and every one of you listening right now. How many subscriptions do you have? You don't even know because I don't even know. I can't put a number online subscription, email, newsletters, text, credit cards, you've got your home services, you've got how many let's go to streamings that didn't exist twenty years ago when I started this radio radio show. How many streaming services do you have that you don't net? Oh wait, even I thought I canceled that now, honey, I thought you cancel it. No, I did not do that. It should be as simple to click undo. But it's not. Man, they want you, They want to keep you. They want to make it sticky. And so now there's a lawsuit about this. Oh my, here's what you probably should do. And I know it's a pain, but there's software programs like this. Listen if you have it, if you're really good with Microsoft Excel or a Google Sheets, or forms, what day side a list, every single thing that you have a subscription for. Now, this is even different than your bank accounts and your yeah yeah, your insurance information, which obviously you should have, your family should have to just the stuff. You'd be surprised how much money you're just pissing away each month. Go try to cancel one or two of these things, and next week you're gonna call me. You're gonna say, garf man, man, you are right. It is just I try to cancel my gym membership. I forgot this. I even pay, I pay ten dollars a month. Whatever it is. I had to physically write a letter and snail mail that, which I am not kidding. I still think there are some gym memberships and maybe some others that that's how you have to cancel. And if you think about it, who wants to sit down, HiPE out a letter, write a letter? Wait a minute, who even has a stamp to mail it? Who's to say that the recipient the gym membership or whatever he is even going to receive the thing. That's what makes it difficult, and it is it's it's time that something changes, because light itself, as we know, it is already too convoluted and just it's it's screwed up. Can we make things easier? Can we make things these are out or no? So do I that again. I'm just trying to organize your life. I'd like to think I'm a relatively organized guy, but still some things just get out of out of whack and out of hand. I try to keep lists on in my Microsoft Outlook, all my frequent flyer lists, like I have folders frequent flyers, and I pretty much only fly Southwest airlines. We love Southwest Airlines. Southwest baby trying to get the a list preferred again disclosed to do it. But I have probably eight, nine, ten frequent flyer miles of all the airlines I have flown over the years. My hotel rewards card, my just everything. I organize them and then I sync them up so they're on my computer, but they're also on my phone too. I mean, I'll go into when I check into a hotel. Is this a Marriott? Is this an IHG? Wait a minute, hold on, let me give you my frequent stayer card or something. You need to have these things, because that's the purpose. I opt out of a lot of their email newsletters because again organization Michael here, I tried to make sure that my email inboxes about is uncluttered. These are listen. I know this is a busy time of year. It's the holiday seasons are getting repped up. You're gonna do some traveling and visitors are gonna come and you're gonna be busy shopping and buying you know whatever, and tying up the year. I talk about this a lot when summer comes, because summer we may tend to have a little bit more time our hands. I don't know, if you have some time, maybe it's a project for you, your spouse say, maybe you want to get your kids involved, maybe you get but get your life and order people. I see what the FTC going back is trying to do here, and there's gonna be a lawsuit. So again it's something for me to talk about. It's decent content, and I do think you're a listening bottom of the hour right now. When we come back, I am going to talk about a streaming service and a service that you probably pay I don't know, ten dollars twenty dollars, twenty five dollars a month Amazon, Amazon. I'm gonna tell you something new that they've added another perk, because you do get some perk by having and again this is not an Amazon add I wish they would advertise with me, but they don't. Amazon and many other streaming services they do want to offer value. Amazon just added another partner that can save you some money on something that you used every single day, folks. That's called the T's. Because I'm a professional, We're going to come back on a high tech texting show. I guess we can call this my Halloween edition. As we do the show here on the a few days before Halloween. The next show that I do will be a few days after Halloween where everybody will be on a sugar a high right, Michael Garfield. It's called the High Tech textan show where I talk about any damn thing that I want, anything that you want. You know, Halloween probably is my favorite holiday of the year. I don't know, tu Bischavat is pretty close to where else? And what else can you go up to total strangers dolls and ring the doorbell and you say, got there and you just get some candy people? How cool is that? Have you seen the prices of chocolate? Oh? I do not think I'm going to get a lot of races this year. Man, the price of chocolate? What are you planning to give out? I need to take a quick pull. If anybody wants to go to X and hit me up high tech textan h I G h T E C h T E x A N go to X if you will. If your Facebook friend hit me up? What do you give me? If you're if you're even giving away candy unless you're one of those Halloween misers. We're going to turn the lights off and watch TV quietly upstairs. If nobody rings our doorbell, I don't know. Unless you're in the gated community, I don't know. Maybe you don't have any kids in your community. But have some fun. People have some fun. Callum, are you trick or treating? I look at callum, callum, you're uh what your mid twenties, upper twenties. Yeah, you go. You told old a trick or treat? You know what? If listen here your ears at some point, I'm kind of cool with it. If you make an effort and you're in your teens or even your tool, I don't know, because you can I can go trigger treating with a mask. No one that knows how old I am. If you make an effort to put a mask on, just I'm gonna give you some candy. It's as simple as that. Just just make an effort, just put a smile. I mean the memories I have of just trick or treating for like five straight hours on a school night with you know, no parent supervision. Again, in the the late seventies, the late seventies, when I grew up. At that time, it was just fun halloween costumes. What is a hot hollow? I saw something on Hell Oh my son love my my side. Three boys, my sons are all in their twenties and I they go to Halloween parties, are invited to Halloween parties. I don't if they trick or treat. I would not mind if they trick or treat. I told the story last week. I think the reason I wanted and had kids was an excuse for the next twenty plus years to go trick or treating myself self. But I'm talking to my son, my youngest. He's in Austin, and he was invited to a party. And it may be tonight, baby, this weekend. And my son graduated from ut like I did. He went to the Big ut Georgia game last year last week, which I don't want to talk about. He said, he's this is a litle a cocky kid. He goes he was invited to party. I said, what do you what do you dress it up as? He says he wants he's going to go as Quinn yours and not show up cause for effect. So callum, that's where you that's where you put a rim shot. That's good, Quinn yours not showing up. Oh look at me racking on my own textes long wards. No, I did see the top trending Halloween costumes this year according to Google. A quick rundown. Number one Beetlejuice because the new Beetlejuice two or Beetlejuice be am. I allowed to say it three times. New Beetlejuice movie came out recently. The the Shrunken Head Bob is the number one for Indian costume on Google from Beetlejuice. Number two is that the ray Gun chick from the Olympics, who was just the funny, weird break dancer. That's an easy costume. He used to wear some kind of green and yellow outfit with a hat on it. I'm not sure there's a Dolores from Beetlejuice. There's some characters from inside Out. That's a movie I've never seen. Doctor Doom. People helped me out over here. Okay, here's why I know. Here's here's number nine. Sabrina Carpenter. Now she's a singer. She's she's very pretty young, twenty ish, a singer type of thing. How do you dresses? I mean, if a Sabrina Carpenter dress person comes to my door, which trick or treats, I wouldn't recognize Sabrita Carpenter, mean I would recognize, like, remember the eighties, early eighties Madonna last when Madonna got big. It's kind of easy to spot Madonna because Madonna I had this style. Madonna had these that was a desperately seeking Susan era and you know, the big black boots, kind of the goth thing, and your hair is blonde and you had black lipstick on, and then you had these the rubber gasket wristbands or something. Oh Madonna. I mean, if Sabrina Carpenter closed my eyes, it looks the same as Taylor Swift. It looks the same as I don't know, probably six or seven of these other people. So I don't what are you going as? Uh, somebody's actually hold on Chipotle, Chipotle Burrito. Somebody's going as a Chipotle. I would not. I would go as a Cabo Bob's Burrito because it's a bigger, better costume. You see what I did there. I always take care of our partners and sponsors here seven one three, two one two five nine five. Oh, should you be listening plausably live here to me? Michael Garfield is the name. It is called the the High Tech Textan Show. It's whatever Michael wants to talk about and have fun with the uh my longtime listeners here on weekends. If you have Amazon, as I promised, I'm going to pay off this tease here, Amazon has a little something for you Amazon Prime members. How much do you pay for Amazon Prime? Is it twenty? It's about one hundred and thirty hundred and forty bucks a year right now? Right? I guess maybe I don't know. And you're getting a new perk. By the way, you're getting extra savings at the pump something we use every day, gasoline. If you link your Amazon count with a BP or an Amaco station, you're going to save ten cents a gallon. Walmart actually has something like this with Exxon stations, and they're a competitor. They have Walmart Plus. I do not have Walmart. I like Walmart. I don't have Walmart Plus. But if you go to Exon station, that's odd because Walmart this was its own gas stations. But maybe they use Xon. Maybe it's an Exon brand stations. I don't know. But here's the thing. Before you do this, you need to agree to let BP. If you're going back to the Amazon story, you need to let BP collect information about you to get your discount. So what's the harm in joining just one more wealthy program? Huh? I don't know. You link your Amazon count to BP and and then you go. Companies need to do that programs like this. I'm kind of happy because Amazon, I think, already offers partnership discounts to really boost Amazon Primes appeal as a subscription because listen, I just said it's one hundred thirty hundred and forty hundred and fifty bones a year. But what are you getting for that? Okay, well, you're gonna get two free days of free shipping. The second day free or whatever it is, you get the streaming service because prices do keep keep getting hired for streaming services. Amazon also added free food delivery through Grubhub this past summer. I don't mind keep adding on. Oh, by the way, here's a perk. At what cost is it? Well, it's your giving up a lot of your some of the your information. How do you protect yourself for some of this stuff? The thing is the most valuable, But what's the if you think about if you own a company, you may own a mom at pop shop. What do you want to do? You want likes, you want email, subscription, newsletters. You want information because you can market that way. The most valuable piece of anything of a company right now, it's data. It's information. You look at Amazon. How much information does Amazon? Microsoft? Apple? How much information do they have on us? It is stunning, It is stunning. How much information is they? These companies know more about you than the closest family members do. I'm serious about that. You know, maybe you didn't know that you related to this person. Maybe you didn't know somebody's maiden name, or maybe he didn't know that this person's is connected to you this way. Maybe your kids don't know that you like this certain type of food, or that you buy this certain type of clothing brand or whatever. Amazon knows. All these companies know this stuff. You know, she should you know when you're when you're out there dating. And next the next segment, I'm gona talk about online dating apps because that they're in the news too. When you start dating someone, you've got it. And again I'm not an expert of this, but you have to start from ground one. What's your name? Where are you from? And at my age, it's like have you been married? And I guess you should start off are you currently married? Which is at that point you just say, buy nice media. Have you been married? Do you have kids? Your parents still alive? Where did you go to school? I mean, yeah, people now this and listen online. I don't do any online ditty. I'm so don't. I'm getting close to potentially doing good d and I just bemo, here's a QR code. Can you just scan this? And I just read every single thing that these companies know about me. You could see every movie I've watched, downloaded, rented the music I listened to. It's gonna save me time from sitting awkwardly. Uh, at a at a bar or a dinner. I know I'm old school, but these new school stuff, man, they know everything about you and vice. Yeah. Conversely, I can actually scan somebody, you know, a lovely looking lass. Let me scan your QR code. Oh do you vote for this person? I don't know about that way. Man. You don't like the Cowboys fans? What you're a hockey fan and know you want you buy all these NHL jerseys. I'm just not a hockey dude. Man, I don't think I could spend all the you know, you know October through June, you know, watching high with you. Sorry, peace out. It just means things up, I know. And I'm it's if you listen to me. I'm so not a debute downer. I am. I am. I make Annie look like a p SMS people. I love life. I'm passion. I'm just telling you what's out there. Companies have information, just be careful what you do with it. Coming back, I will talk about online dating. Maybe you can give me suggestions here seven one, three, two, one two five ninety five. Oh Michael, it is the HTT High Tech Detection Show. Final segment this hour, hour number one. Oh, the The HTT Show that's my uh that's the acronym of the mo Moniker high tech textan show talked a little about tech, a little about Halloway, and right now, what costumes you going? As I gave you the the top twenty five trending costumes since you need a last minute costume seven one three, two one two five nine five. Oh, chocolate is expensive, man, these times. I want to give you some good news. People, get what good news do I have? I let's see in Hope, Texas win. Texans play this Sunday cold. They're favored pretty well. Maybe you got something going there. I'd like it to get cooler. You know the worst thing about Halloway trigger treating when it's hot and sweaty outside. I've done that many many to obviously growing up in Texas, but when my kids were younger, I'm gonna go back twenty years ago. When I was taking the trigger treating. I would dress up because that's how I rolls, and I'll wear these big old costumes. And it's October thirty. First you would think that the weather was nice. Oh no, it's like eighty nine degrees ninety ninety one at the start of the or treating you know when the sun almost goes down and I'm just fitzing up a pool and then I'll put I used to pull the ya. Everybody in the world knows that reese is are the greatest thing knowing to man. And my kids have some, my three boys, they would, you know, always ask can I have an extra win for my dad to bit back there? And I would. They would give me reces and I would put it in my pocket to the costume and I'd walk two houses down and it would just be melted chocolate. Can I just wish for cooler weather? Finally? That's I don't know. Maybe I have some good news there. Here's some good news. If you're doing or want to do some online dating. Calum, do you do? Is he? Calum? You are the big Calumar here mid twenties. He's working the phones and punching the buttons. Here on the other side, you're perfect. I don't know, do you have a girlfriend? Online dating? Because this is this is your generation, right, this is how you f I see. I am of the generation where to find a mate you you would somebody would introduce you. You would go to a restaurant or a bar, hang out with your buds and then you would meet somebody and that was it. Nowadays there's online dating apps, and so it's a lot of a number of my buddies now who were divorced and now they're on there, you know, maybe looking for their second love of their lives. They they've tried the dating apps, and I just it's as as technological advance as I am. I just I haven't taken this step yet. And so yeah, I saw the reason I talked about this. I saw the story there is, Uh, we're talking about advertising bad. You see all these advertise advertisements or here advertisements for Bumbleeharmony, match dot com, Hinge and Tender and reading these because I do not know these offhand, I really don't. They're spending more money. You're gonna see more odds for these, probably this time of year, because time of the year, the holiday seasons where I guess you could get lonely you want to meet somebody with Last year the number one biggest learning experience over here, the biggest change has been Bumble as he clips Tender as the that is spending the most on advertising. Humblest spent forty four million dollars this year through the end of July. And you know, I just I'm talking about this because online dating has come up relatively frequently for me lately. Garth, how come you're not on it? Man? It's just like shooting fish in the barrel? Are you kidding me? This is the easiest thing to do. I don't know, man, I don't know. All I'm saying is this, and this is I'm not begging into some of some of my radio ad salespeople who Calum we were hanging out with at their client event a few days ago at the Texas Gun Club. You want an easy, low hanging endorsement, it's getting me on a dating app. So bumble match, dot com, e harmony. If you're interested. You got a single dude who does nothing but promote technology. I should try this thing. Maybe that's maybe that, Maybe I'm just tolding out for a sponsorship endorsement. I don't know. I honestly that's not the reason why. But you know what that would do. But then again, if a coffee company, I'm gonna talk about things I hate, and you know, if you're a long time listening, you know things I like and don't like. I have never in my life and I'm in my fifties. I've never had a sip of coffee. I don't want to drink coffee. I'm not gonna start drinking coffee if is folders still around. This is what an idiot I wanta comes to coffee community. I think community coffee. They're based here in Houston, right right. If a coffee company came to me and they said, Michael, we got a great here's the we're gonna this, this is phenomenal. You've never had a sip of coffee five plus decades of your life. We're going to make a commercial. We're gonna film you and pay you. You're gonna endorse our company of drinking your very first sip of coffee. I wouldn't do it. I just don't think I would do it because it's ingenuous. He I only talk about I promote things that I truly belie, even in love, and like that's the true me. It's if if it I'm telling you right now, if Hellman's mayo or Duke's mayonnaise came here, I wouldn't even I would not even respond to them. Doesn't work that way. Nope, we used to do we still we used to broadcast the Texas A and M football games. I don't know do we even still broadcast the Aggi football games on one of our stations? Maybe maybe we do. Uh. And this is this I'm not riding on Aggie's at all right now. This is a true story. So this is about twenty years ago and I just came here and it was Aggi's on KPRC Aggi and My show on Saturday. From at this time slot, we're generally lead into an Aggie game kickoff. Well, not of these are incredibly loyal, and there are so many locally used to own Texas A and M graduate owned businesses, Aggie owned businesses, right, and our sales team would go out, they would pitch me to do commercials and that's what we do over here. If we're on the radio, it's hey, it's Garth for this. Uh. They would not pitch me to any Aggie own clients because all I would all I talk about is still is Texas Longhorns. And I man, I appreciate that you don't want to it's it's it's fun and games. And again, my late great best friend Randy Lemon, who passed away about year and a half ago, major Raggy. We had so much fun of going back and forth out our radio shows. The guard line in my show is just you know, Aggie's in Longhorns, but it's you believe in what you want to believe in and uh and and I hope when you hear commercials across all platforms of TV and radio, and I know it doesn't work. Now I look at these social media and I'm getting on my soapbox. Now, these social media influencers, these young kids, they they get they get paid on godly amounts of money for making these fun content videos. They don't know how to sell. They've probably never used the product. I grew up. I worked at QVC. I literally was on air at QVC where I studied products of why this product is going to change your life. I understand how to position it, but I use it too because people come up to Michael the I really drive this car? Do you really wear this clothing brand? Do you really drink this beer? Yeah? I do? And in so much though, I can actually give you the name of the owner of the company. If you want to get this deal, just use my name like that. So there's the soapbox. So where was I even going through this thing online dating. They're spending a lot of money.
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: Promote one, but oh beck could be a very interesting campaign. I'll let you love molam mat here for the next five six minutes while we go to the news top of the hour break. We have one more hour coming up. I will tell you where I'm going to be Monday. Speaking of radio, if you are a Ustonian and you grew up and you are a longtime fan of Rock one one glol just an iconic radio station, which by the way, I was on when I started my career twenty plus years ago, I got some We got some infrot for you this coming Monday, a screening of a documentary film about it. And tickets are going fast and I literally and to god, I don't even know they could be sold out right now. That's next out right here on the High Tech Dexan.
Speaker 3: Show is Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 3: Us in the High Tech Texan.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech Texans who items to make life.
Speaker 2: Easier new technology.
Speaker 1: So Michael Garfield has something you might want.
Speaker 2: As Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texan. Three decades, helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeart Radio Act. Now You're high Tech Texan Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: One hour down, one hour to go. I've been pretty good at math all my life, So that means we're halfway through the show, which means we are halfway to halfy hour, as we say each and every top of the second hour here on the High Tech Textan Show. Thanks for tuning in, whether you're listening live PLAUSI Live a reprepresentation on kprc AM all across Southeast Texas or downloading on the iHeartRadio app. How cool is that You can listen phone number here if you want to join in the fun as we talk about all pop culture type of fun things and some news this week seven one three, two, one two, five nine five. Oh. I got a few emails this week about retro technology. Technology that is old is new again. And obviously you have to you have to understand what generation you are in. But from my you know my generation as a gen xer. I'm a gen xer and I was a teenager in the nineteen eighties. I mean breaking news. I'm obsessed with anything that looks or sounds or tastes and smells or feels like a throwback to that time. I mean I still have semi big hair. I mean I don't have any jelly shoes, or I don't have any let games or my white high top rebox. Oh yes I had this, But a lot of the electronic stuff they're coming back, and so open phone lines. I just gave you the number. Let me give you the my ex Twitter or whatever you want to or threads high tech texts and h I G h T E C h T e X and just spell high tech texts. Spell the whole thing out. You'll find me. What's your are you using or what do you miss about gadgets back in the day, and give me a specific one. I mean. One of the greatest handheld gaming devices before really true gaming came along was the Mattel football, the little Motel foot. They had a basketball too, but that little bit tell handheld electronic football game. But all they have was an up and down and left and right, and they were dots. It was a plastic screen that looked like a football field and you would just go up and down to move your player, which was a freaking dash, is what it was and you would score a touchdown. I mean, do you talk about retro Those things were freaking addicting. Some of the things that are back right now. Flip phones, flip phones are all the rage these days, and I think it's partly due to smartphone burnout. I use a smartphone. I use a flip phone right now, but I do use a high heck. I mean there's low tech flip phones. And I say that there was a Barbie flip phone that came out earlier this year, and it really did nothing other than what the original flip phones did when they released what twenty to thirty years ago. You know, you had to use the crazy text like if you wanted to, you know, text the letter C, you had to hit the two button three times to two. And there was this, I mean, just rudimentary stuff. But they're back. I use a Samsung flip phone. There are also many fold phones right now, but those things are coming back. To what am I missing over here? Remember somebody had said, if you go on eBay, the original Sony walk Man is back, the Sony freaking walk Man. And you know what I had. I didn't have the original Sony walk Man, and I may have had a knockoff version of the portable radio FM AM cassette player. Will you put the wired ear buds in your ear? And it was plastic. But those things are coming back. I mean, it's an is analog here to stay. Who needs digital? But there's a market for this, which I'm kind of kind of happy because I am not saying I'm a hoarder, but I do tend to keep a lot of crap around my house and in my garage. I know a lot of people who are listening who know me pretty well. They're going, yep. I have cell phones that date back to yes, the original flip phones. I don't know why. I think maybe one day I may want to create a small, high tech textan museum. Do you remember when technology like this? I have almost every blackberrier I still they're sitting there, sitting in a box, gaining dust in a garage. Oh no, it's nostalgia. Somebody make me an offer for this day. The final records you're back, my son, he's in his twenties right now. For the last holiday season he wanted or he went out and got a record player. He went out and bought some records at old vinyl stores. I have a pretty much all of my record words, which I don't use because my record players. Again, it's still in my garage, but I don't keep it out anywhere, but I have all my records. So he came back, he came to town, I don't know a few months ago, and he sifted through my records. But it was neat sharing this with you know, another generation of this is how music used to be. You just don't download it. There was liner notes where you could see the lyrics, and there was you know, the you know, thank you to my producers, and there was all these great photos, and the album covers were spectacular, like Asia, some of the greatest art Well covers ever. And you know, he was looking at this thing and whatever and then putting the needle on it. It suthing. He got a really crappy record player. But nowadays, the high end vinyl record players, analog as they are, there is some of the greatest sounds, if not even better sounds than digital. I'm serious about this thing. That's Old is New Man, which is good as I continue to reach a sadly a milestone birthday here next year, Old is New A boombox I still have my boombox. It was a Panasonic and I didn't call it a boombox. I called it a jam box. This jam box made it through high school, made it through college, and it has made it through another forty years post college. But the boomboxes, the jam boxes are back. Sony still makes it jbl Anchor. There's bluetooth versions of Now I will put my cassette in there. I should post this on my I need to post this on one of my or a few of my social media's. What my jam box looks right now? It is there's paint on air because I sit in the garage. I mean, this thing has been through everything. It's probably floated in lakes and rivers because you know, you know, we used to go waterskin on boats in high school with some budies of mine. They didn't have the big sophisticated sound systems. Hey man, Garth, bring your jambox. That's coming about Polaroid pictures, man, And I know there's a whole subset of people listening going, what is this guy talking about? Holaroids? Baby Polaroids still make cameras, the instant camera, the Polaroid six hundred supercolor is that it's one hundred and sixty bucks. It's an instant camera. Got the rainbow stripe? You put the film in there? Oh, I just lost another whole subset of people that are know what film is. You push your button and all of a sudden he goes and you'll wait sixty seconds and you actually have a printed version of whatever you're taking instead of on your digital phone right now. Alarm clocks always the trivia question. What's the oldest piece of technology you have in your house? People forget the alarm clock. I still have the alarm clock I used in college and it's still sitting next to my bed and it still freaking works. Yes it is. Alarm clocks are coming back. What's up? McFly Back to the Future VHS DVD, Blow Blu Ray Are they returning? I'm gonna take a break. Love to hear from you. Yes, you know the phone number. If not, hit me up high tech text and spellb the whole thing out on all the social media's. I'll give you a shout out with one of your favorite retro technologies. It's Michael Garfield. You're back. Depending on when you are listening to this, it could be lunchtime, it could be dinner time, and you may be hungry. How about we give a little something something for your Cabo Bobs. I truly eat here twice a week. You go through the line. They they make their chicken. They have Commata Joe's in their fast food restaurants, but they've piped out, so this they smoke their mates. They have got brisket, they've got chicken, they've got great fried fish. You go down the line and you tell them to put this, and you make these massive burritos. You can make tacos. They have just fresh tortillas that you could choose from. You get up, you go. You're set to go four locations here in and around Houston area. They have given me a twenty five dollars gift card to give away to you. Call her number ten right now, Calum. You are not allowed to win, but you can answer the phones seven one, three, two one two five nine five oh colored ting you gotta get a twenty five dollars gift card. Goes a long way too, Cabo Bobs goes long way. Really good stuff. I like it, say, this is what I did. It's a radio man. We just we we give stuff away. That's what I should do. I just talked about retro technology items. Then have of my garage? I need a high tech text and garage sale. I could, actually I could. I could make some pretty big coin. There's there's a lot of old stuff that I have. Retro is a new thing. It is, it is coming back. But new technology is also scary too. And I got it. I several times a month, I'll get emails and I'll get some calls. Here is it safe to share? Michael? Tell me about this biometric data? And I just got an email right now, Michael, last last hour. You just talked to the data that companies utilize and covet data. But what about biometric data? What about my eyes? What about my fingerprints? Is that okay to do? Should I use my phone where I look at it for face identification? If not Apple or Samsung, they're going to get my face ID. Well you know what. Apple has been using your face data for security for many years. I use my fingerprint to unlock my phones. Have you been to the airport lately and you go through TSA and you don't even need to show your ID. You look into this device and it scans your face Clear does it, and TSA does it. Also, that's the biometric stuff, your face, your fingerprints. One end. They can save some time. They can save a little time. But there's a number of different security lists. I'm not going to tell you what to do and what not to do. If you want to save time, you just let big Brother continue to do what it does. Go ahead, do it. Should you give companies? Should you give agencies access to your most personal data, stuff that you were born with, your fingerprints and everything. Cell phone companies have been doing it. My computer, I have an HP. I've long had an HP, even in my home, on my desktop, even though the fact that I live alone. I have a password on my desktop, but I don't use my password. I have a camera, like most desktops and laptops have a camera facing me. I let it recognize my face and it opens it up. Sure as heck saves me time, people, Sure as heck saves me from remembering the password. I just look at the camera. I'm fine with that. I don't get no. HP may do something with it. What are they going to do? I don't know. Are they going to clone me? It's good get I said, I don't know. Another nice looking, hairy guy, go ahead, clone me the Apple face ID whatever. It's called the Touchless Identity Solution. You look at a camera, you wait for an agent to give you the green light. Boom boom. But for this to work, you're gonna need a US passport and you need to sign up with for TSA PreCheck both of what I've done. When you scan it in through your Airlines app, they're gonna ask you to have a biometric scan. I'm actually fine with that whatever, but you know something, I don't use it locks. I don't shop here often. That I really had no problem because I wanted to test it out. Whole Foods. You've been a Whole food slightly. They have process that's kind of similar to the TSA. They don't scan your face, but they scan the palm of your hand. It's through the Amazon one. You link a credit card to your I'm not kidding, your palm signature when you check out, and I believe all Whole Foods have this. You scan your hand with the scanner. There's a specific scanner. You scan your hand and the data finds is compared to your palm signature that's stored in Amazon's cloud finds the match, charges your credit card, You're paid, You're good to go. Amazon says they only save the mathematical data behind your palm signature, not the actual photos of your hand. Ah, what's the diff Go ahead and get a photo of my hand. What are they gonna do? But then again, this means that hacker couldn't use a high quality pick of your palm to pass as you if they did with Amazon says by not actually saving photos of your hand, it's listen heard these more advanced biometric skin screenings. Are they hack proofs? It's pretty unlikely that a crook's gonna fool a biometric reading in the airport because agents would figured it out pretty quickly. But even if it's whole foods, it'd be tough for someone to use an image of your palm to pay. But I said this because I've covered this industry for twenty plus years. As technology advances, so do criminals. Artificial intelligence, the deep fakes, there's so much better than they were a year ago. Yes, there could be a day when deep fakes masks. I'll admission impossible. They could fool facial recognition software. I mean, you have to think about this. Do you trust the government agencies? Do you trust big companies to store your biometric data, much less any other kind of data. They're not immune to data breaches. So I guess to answer the questions that I get, you know, think about opting into or not opting into these services to protect your biometric data. Never possible. Use your biometric stuff in pandem with a password, maybe two factor authentication. Maybe it's authentic era. Yes, read my face. But before you let me in or before you charge something, send me a text so I can verify a second way. Okay, that's cool. If you use or upload biometric data online, you may want to try to use a VPN, the virtual private network to secure your Internet connection first. Try not to do it on a public system. But it's it's it's a can of worms. It's this is the stuff that I cover, this is the stuff that I test too. That go back to the Whole Foods thing. I'm actual only found out about it, but I'm standing getting ready to check out of the Whole Foods and it's like, and I do have an Amazon account. It's like, okay, let's go ahead, and yeah, you do have to go to I believe the Whole Foods initially to scan your palm, which I did. It took all of I don't know, a few seconds. It knows it matches up with my credit cards and I'll set to go. But it's pretty cool. I'm sorry, man. I have a Whole Foods that is less than half a mile from my house, totally walkable, and I generally walk where. When I'm on my run, I will stop through the Whole Foods to pick up one thing or two things. I don't run with my wallet, but you know what I always have. I got my palm. Yep. I sit there and I pay with my palm. It's that's a convenience. I'm sorry it is, and I'm cool with that. But that's what we do with technology. Our phones are not only convenient, they're almost it's it's almost it's necessary. Nowadays, you don't want to let people know where you are, so let's just turn off your GPS. Well okay, good, Well if you want to use Google Maps or something, good luck, because your mapping needs to know where you are. So that's why GPS is enabled. If not, your phone becomes a brick. We have to give out our information to utilize something it's it's it's the exchange. Sometimes instead of subscriptions, that's what you do. Sometimes you still have to pay a subscription like Amazon and still give your palm information away. Hey, thoughts in this. I'm more than happy uh to uh take your phone calls. I promise I won't ask you for a subscription fee. I won't ask you for your password. You could just call seven one three two one two five nine five. O's we get to the bottom of this hour. I'm a high tech texting show, got it. I hope everybody's having a very nice Saturday here one of the what is that technically it's the last Saturday by October very nice. Less than a week from now, we're going to be sugared up for Halloween. Michael Garfield visiting you very long running high tech tech student show here KPRC nine to fifty am twenty two years. I've been wasting working for you on Saturdays. And if you're listening on iHeartRadio, thank you for downloading that app. Tell you what if you're in Houston, I got an idea of where you want to be next week, actually two days from right now, this coming Monday night to kick off Halloween week. I know where I will be. I'm actually anxious. I'm going to go to the newly reopened, refurbished River Oaks THEA And you have to say it that way, it's the ATA because it's spilled that way. It's long been just an iconic theater auditorium here in Houston for a long time. It was shut down for a while refurbished, and this Monday night is something special, especially for all you longtime Ustonians who are fans of radio, specifically Rock one oh one k l o L if you remember that name, the station in the call letters. I have a little history with Rock one oh one when I started with Clear Channel Radio twenty two, twenty three years ago. So your gentleal which is now iHeart just really a name change. We owned eight stations here and I had a presence on all eight of our stations and appearances in one of which was Rock one oh one. I was with the greg O Pruitt and the Boner, and two of those guys, greg O and Boner, I believe, are going to be at this very special event on Monday along with some other people. It is a movie. It's a documentary that was released not long ago, a special screening this coming Monday night. The director, the person behind the concept, who's worked over three quarters of his life, has put all of his dollars in money into it that he can't end his kids to college. Those names. Mike McGuff, he is here in Houston, and I'm going to bring him in because I'm excited because I'm going to be emceeing this. Mcguffer joins me, Maybe, are you nervous to have more people see this thing and either cheer or hopefully give you some critique.
Speaker 4: I'm actually more nervous being on the high tech textan show, to be quite honest. But now here you know that I took fourteen years to make this. But think about I think I've been coming on your show for seventeen years now. I just realized that is how what a long running show? This is becoming iconic, a legend in it self. Your radio show, the iTech Texan.
Speaker 1: Well maybe after a quarter century it will be iconic, but I will tell let's go, let's get back on topic here, should we rock one to one? Kalel is iconic and listen, you know everybody could talk about radio. What's happening? In radio nowadays. I obviously I still believe in radio rock.
Speaker 3: One to one.
Speaker 1: You talk about one of the most iconic rock stations, not just in Texas, my friend, but did you know in the country it is no longer in its sane, you know, since as we knew it back then, you know, in the eighties and nineties. But why was this so important for you to dig into this fourteen years and make a documentary out of this?
Speaker 4: Well, I grew up with the station, you know. It was one of those stations you found when you were I was like a freshman at Lamar High School, so you know, you're kind of figuring out the world, and this is pre internet. So you tune in and you're like, wow, this is kind of mind expanding and they're talking about stuff I have never heard on this station, and being such a music I just liked it because of that. The DJs were knowledgeable about the music. I learned about current bands at the time, I learned about past bands. I really developed my what we call classic rock knowledge. They're listening to kol because back then I couldn't just log on to streaming and pick whatever I wanted, you know, you know, I could go to a CD store tape store back then, and I wouldn't have known what I was looking for, right, So, radio it's so important to introduce you to the music and really just the lifestyle and the comedy. Think about it, we didn't have social media with now you have TikTok, you know, comedians, Instagram, comedians. You had Stevenson prove it back then and all the other DJs who were always razor.
Speaker 3: Or had a raise wit.
Speaker 4: So it's that that's why I did it, because it really is a time that no longer exists, just thanks to the changes in society with you know, hey, this is the high Tech Texan Show. Think to how much technology has changed everything since the time even that station went off the air in two thousand and four. Think of how much has happened since then. It's kind of amazing to think.
Speaker 1: That it is for those of the for the listeners out there who really never grew up or understood it. But to just describe how iconic was radio, I mean, listen radio Marconi. It's been around for so long. But I mean my Eraine Obvious film a few years older than you. You know, I grew up in the late seventies, and the eighties, and I still live. I'm the eighties guy. If you listen to my buck music. Eight music is so important to me. I say this, music really is the only thing that can take you back in time. You hear something and you remember, oh man, I remember where I was. I was in high school, or that was my first college loan, or the first time, you know, I'm met my spouse, our first dance, whatever was. But going back to one oh one, there were anecdotally, just I know this because there are high schoolers, there was college. There were growing up folks listening driving to work type of thing, and they would just sit there in their car, you know, in the parking lot, because there was a big going on. And you talk about personalities because radio is at least it was personality driven. You said Steven's Impruit and it was a rock formatt and would you say this was the start of the shock jock type of air going back to those folks.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, because I want to start in seventy.
Speaker 4: You know, it was really a progressive station with all the kind of play whatever they wanted. Their Their playlist was wide from rock to foulk to jazz, with even maybe a little bit of country thrown in there, kind of the alt country maybe, and it developed into the eighties into the rock station we kind of more know today. But that, yes, that definitely included the shock jock element. Now, Stevens and Brewitt were shot jogs. They had started that as Hudson Harri Again and Kilt back in the seventies. And even if you listen to stuff back then, you really hear elements of the show that was on kl Well maybe not quite as racy as it was, you know back then. What definitely, as things became more extreme in the eighties, so did the radio, so did the shot Josh Howard stirred on the air.
Speaker 3: At that time.
Speaker 4: And yeah, so I would say Steven Zubert were on the forefront of the shot jock world and continued writing that really until the end.
Speaker 1: Talking to Mike McGuffey is the director, producer in the brains behind the documentary. It is a movie that is being screened this coun be Monday night, seven o'clock. It's at the newly reopened River Oaks Theater on West Gray. We'll talk about how to get tickets. It might get those even more tickets because I know this is a it's a pretty big one. I know you've screened it a few times. But the new River Oaks Theater is you know, is pretty cool. The how did you find the video? I mean, how did you and talk about some of the people that you interviewed in here, because you're get some solid rock stars along with the people who played a part on air and off air.
Speaker 4: See right there, you just explained why it took me fourteen years because trying to find the video, find the images and talk to those rock stars. I mean, some of the rock stars took six years to get. It is not easy to land a Sammy Hagar, you know, a Dusty Hill of zz Top who I think that probably was his last video interview before he passed away unfortunately. You know, we shot that in you know, February of twenty twenty before the lockdown, and after that they went on tour and he unfortunately died and so that's probably the last interview with them that I'm aware of, at least on video.
Speaker 3: But you know that was the.
Speaker 4: Hard part is trying to lock down the rock stars and not slock them.
Speaker 3: But you know you have to be you know, hey, let's remember me are you willing to do an interview?
Speaker 4: And eventually maybe they'll give in, But then you have to work around a rock star schedule which is always on the road touring, so that makes it tough, but it was well worth it, and just even sometimes trying to land interviews with the kale O All staff honestly was difficult.
Speaker 3: You're in the making.
Speaker 1: Without a deck and Mike McGuff over here. Now I'm gonna follow up and we'll kind of end on this before we give out the information. If you know these screens and if no one's been to a screen, this is more than a scritting. This is fun and I appreciate you asked me specifically if I could kind of emc or host this, because you know, I had a little background towards the end of the Rock one oh one era, and it was really fun to be able to be a part of it and say I was a part of it. But that was the greg O Jim prewittt Also to be able to work with him, what a just an unbelievable nice guy, amazing guy. S Mark. I knew everything about radio voter Dana Steele, who I still keep in contact with. Who else will be there because I'm going to be entering a Q and A, so for all the fans who grew up listening to them, they actually get to see them, to see what they look like. Who all's going to be there this coming Monday night.
Speaker 3: It's actually going to be packed. The stage will be full.
Speaker 4: Everyone wants to come out and do the River Roks Theater just because it it's iconic. I mean, you're gonna have Eddie the Boner, greg O pat Fant who signed on the station, Doug Harris who was the promotions manager, Dana Steele, as you mentioned, doctor Betty Halpern, who is Doctor Betty from the Stevenson Brewet Show, a big part of their advice section on there.
Speaker 3: Landy Griffith, the traffic master, will be there.
Speaker 4: I'm probably leaving people out at this point because I'm trying to do this at the top of my head. But yes, we have a solid lineup and we will definitely be handing out prizes.
Speaker 3: I mean I have.
Speaker 4: Runaway radio documentary shirts, I have stickers, and we actually have another Kalol company of favorite radio shirts will be there handing out free kal Lowel shirts. We try to turn it into as much of a rock concert as you can in a movie theater. So it's kind of like those old giveaways where kaloys to show up and hand stuff out.
Speaker 3: We're doing the exact same thing. We want to keep it a fun atmosphere.
Speaker 1: I want to buy tickets if they're because it's interesting, because you know you can. You go on to buy tickets and there they're like twelve or thirteen dollars or something like that, but you have to get an a signed seat. I checked a few days ago and it was running low. But if people want to get a ticket, they need to act like asap. Where can they find the info?
Speaker 4: Rock one oh one movie dot com is the website, and that is going to have multiple leaks to that Riveroke screening at set.
Speaker 3: You log and you can just scroll down.
Speaker 4: You're going to see how to buy the ticketscke.
Speaker 1: One movie dot Com. I hope listen congrats again. I've actually seen it. It's neat seeing the people that I worked with and also listened to you before I started working in radio. They got so many stories and I can imagine it's pubably gonna be uncensored when I get that microphone at the end because you know it's the FCC cannot tell us what to talk about, what not to talk about. Uh, but your kudos without a doubt. I hope there's gonna be a lot of photos, bring the cameras, and you deserve a lot of credit diagnosed. This is a very very loving creation that took Qai large part of your life. So congratulate the success, Thank you very much. All Right, Monday night is it? It is at Riveroaks Theater Rock one oh one Movie dot Com. I will be there as well as well as just a got crazy cast characters from back of the Day of Rock one o one. All right, we're gonna take a break right now. Open from lines. Michael Garfield is the name seven one three two one two by five from lines right here, We're gonna be right back there you go, people fired up. Final segment here. I do think mister Mike McGuff the film director, among many of the things, if you are able to attend this coming Monday's documentary screening Question and answer from Rock one oh one, KLLL, I'd look forward seeing you come up and say hi, I have not checked the tickets, but it's just I'm actually interested to see also the new River Oaks the AA they did apparently they've done a great job of restoring that historic there we in Houston Theater. And so it's gonna be fun Monday night reliving and recounting all of the crazy stories man that we probably can't say on air, of all those Rock one oh one ers back.
Speaker 4: In the day.
Speaker 1: Let's see what are the things to do before we wrap up over here? I got some emails over here, and Michael, I know you traveled internationally this past summer. Did you have any tracking devices that you put inside your suitcases? Because I'm getting ready to travel and I don't want to lose my suitcases because I hate the airlines. Okay that's from Jeanette. Oh okay, Jeanette, let's just air it out over here. Yeah, I actually did. You're talking about the air tags and the Samsung smart tags. Yeah. I actually do have a few of those that are that are pretty cool. My luggage luckily was not lost, but you can put these anywhere. And I guess the question is, I don't know if you want a specific brand, I mean air tag. If you're an Apple person, yeah, you're gonna go bite your Apple AirTags what these are there? Blue tooth trackers. They're the size of a keychain, and you put them actually on your keychain. You could put them inside your luggage. You could put them in your purse and a backpack. You could put them in a car and track people driving in cars. I'm not going to give you crazy ideas about that, but they're out there and there are a number of them. Samsung makes one job. There's one called Chipole just not Chipotle, it's Chipolo c Chipolo. I saw those guys in Berlin when I went to Berlin at IFA, a big technology conference. So there's what The original one, I think was a company called Tile. They were one of the first ones. Anybody remember that Ti l e. They were one of the first Bluetooth tracking tags. They actually just came out with several new products. By the way, they just bought the company just bought Life three sixty. Anybody have that app. I used to have that app when I used to track my son with his knowledge in college, just to make sure it really was if he loses his phone, I knew where the phone was. Type of thing. A lot of families use it, and I think it's good to use it for for families and kids, so you know where you are. But Tyle has a few new ones and they're really tip they're they're pretty inexpensive over here. One is called the tile Mate twenty five dollars. This has a three hundred and fifty foot range, so if you place your car keys around your house or something like that, you can go to an app on your phone and make it ring and buzz and track it and whatever. There's a tile Pro a little bit more expensive, thirty five dollars, five hundred foot range. There's one that you can put into your wallet. It's like it looks like a credit card, and somebody and Chippolo has one of these. Two you go, it's like a credit card. You don't want to lose your wallet. It's called the tile Slim. It's about a three hundred and fifty foot range. And then there's one that's a sticker I think tiles come out. It's called the tile Sticker, and it's small enough to stick on something like a remote control, because nobody loses a remote control. Right, three hundred and fifty foot range. You have to keep in mind these ranges are based on Bluetooth and what you're gonna do. You're gonna rely on tiles finding network when your phone is not near these tags. It works like this, and that's actually the big difference between Tile and the Apple and the Android Tile. The company has its own tracking network on seventy million customers that's running the Life three sixty app or the Tile app. So to me, it was a pretty smart acquisition for like for Tile going after Life three sixty because a lot of people have that app. But what I like about it it's cross platform, so your trackers are going to work no matter what combination of phones your family has. Doesn't matter, if your Apple, doesn't matter, if you're Android, Ebity and Ivory. I don't know. I've got an Apple to get I've got I've got my my Google Android, and I most my two or three of my kids they have their iPhones. But if you lose it, no matter what are, it's going to find something within three hundred three hundred feet of Bluetooth whatever and it'll signal where your bag, where you're whatever you're you're trying to track is on. It's pretty cool like that. So yes, I do recommend these for your own safety if you're prone to losing things. Uh, these could be good stocking stuffers because they're not expensive at all. You know. One of the things that you know, the people are very aware of that because people can track you where you don't want them tracking you. You know how many have heard the stories of oh, well, my smiuse has put one of these Apple air tags in my car h or on my license plate behind and you don't know what's on there. You actually, with Apple and with the Samsungs, you can scan your surroundings to see if there's a rogue tracker. There's a way to do it for Tile. It's it's a kind of convoluted, but that's there too. If for some reason you think you're being followed, you think someone's tracking you. Yeah, you actually just go do a Google search for how do I find out if I'm being tracked by an Apple air attack. It's it's these things are scary, but you know, I again naive Michael Garfield, That's what I do. I just let you know that. You know, if if your kid out there loses his or her backpack, you can't find your keys, you're forgetful. These things are not that expensive actually to keep to keep things in order keep things in order. I'm trying to keep things in order and keep things on time. I do want to thank all of our sponsors, which keeps our radio show free so you don't have to pay for it. Campbell's Compounding Pharmacy if you need a compounding pharmacist, which has been in the news lately, a great way to save money. Campbell's Compounding dot Com too. Locations one not too far from the medical center, airing here in Houston and also won in Sugarland on the southwest side. US coins and Jewelry. Oh, they're going to continue to get busy as holiday shopping season is there. If you want Rolex Watches, some great jewelry, sports memorabilia, they got a huge, huge facility on iten Knty Freeway right at Voss Road. Go in and tell the Duncan Brothers the Duncan Boys that you heard it on the Garf Show. They're going to ask you where you heard it. Make sure you say Michael Garfield, no other Michael Ooka. At the Garfield they get a total wireless They give away a credit card and also Cabo Bob's congratulations to my twenty five dollars gift card winner. I will see some of you who do have tickets to the Rock one oh one documentary this coming Monday at the River Oaks Theater. If not, be safe out there for Halloway. And if you get extra races, you know who to give them to, because for twenty plus years I have been yet bought. Who waste I mean, who spends times with you on his Saturday to give you some good and fun information, Calm Reed, thanks for sitting in there great hanging with you earlier this week. He will put this on podcasts. So go listen to this again and again and again, and tell your friends on I Heart Radio for everybody who's been a part of this show. Have a good day, people, because right now my show is over.