Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: This episode includes coverage of suicide. Self harm is a serious problem and one of the best things you can do if you're struggling with such thoughts is to reach out and talk to someone. In the United States, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline can be reached by dialing nine to eight eight. If you're struggling, please seek help. We care about our listeners and want you to be around for many years to hear stories about monsters, science facts, and of course terrible puns.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant hairy creature park Ape part Mat.
Speaker 5: In Larkness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scotland. If a creature, there's the Luckless monster.
Speaker 1: Monstertall.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 4: And I'm Karen Stoltner.
Speaker 2: Hey, their listeners. In this episode will be traveling to the remote mountains of Scotland, where, scattered across the landscape miles from the nearest roads, an affiliated network of rude lodgings provides shelter to the weary traveler need of a roof and fire. They're called Bothy's, and according to Lore, some of the occupants are staying well past their final checkout time. Let's take a quick dive into this Bothy sphere right now on Monstertall. Hey, now, I'm following your advice here. I have not opened up the doc to look at it, so I'm going in cold. This is basically an audio reaction video.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think you have a little background knowledge on tonight's topic, today's topic, this week's topic, which is Bothy's. And so we're joined by Matt Baxter as well.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: I think the way that Matt and I found out about Bothy's was through YouTube. We it was recommended to us a video on Haunted Bothy. So I think that's but I had kind of heard of them before. And Blake, I think you found out about them through Unkenny, you said, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The BBC podcast Unkenny has covered a couple stories related to these.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess we should probably start this saying what is a Bothy?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is it possible that it's both the I don't know, or is it both both and Bothy.
Speaker 1: Bothy Boffy is what I keep hearing? But both, Yeah, it's a kind of shelter, so little little house, very simple, free to use shelter, which is found in remote parts of the UK, so mostly in Scotland and the Scottish Highlands, and there are some in Wales and a number of them in England as well. So just little houses, very basic, often repurposed from other buildings, and they're unlocked and they're open free for anyone who needs shelter. So they're very popular with hikers and climbers and travelers and other outdoors people.
Speaker 2: And so these are rural, they're off the beaten.
Speaker 1: Path absolutely, I mean some of them are really many miles off the beaten path. And the word bothy itself is Gaelic. It comes from the word bothen, which means huts or cabin and a lot of them were former cottages which we used for state workers and shepherds who worked local farms, and some were used as lodges or schoolhouses and even Coastguard watch stations. And just over the years a lot of these have become deserted and so walkers began to use them instead, and bothy became a term for this kind of thing, a verb for this kind of activity. And there's a Mountain Bothy's Association, which was formed a couple of decades ago, and it was set up to save these bothies.
Speaker 4: From ruin, and some of them are ruins.
Speaker 1: I believe that the episode of I haven't listened to it yet, but the episode of Uncanny or the shows on Bothy's they're talking about ruins nowadays.
Speaker 2: A quick answer here. The BBC's Uncanny did two episodes dealing with a particular Bothy called Louis Belle In which contains stories a kinda work Karen and Matt will share later in this episode. I very much enjoy Uncanny because it maintains a pretty good balance of story, paranormal speculation and skeptical critique. Listeners of this show will recognize many of the skeptical voices who appear in that series, so links to two episodes dealing with Bothy's will be in the show.
Speaker 1: Notes this Mountain Bothy's Association will talk about them a little bit more.
Speaker 4: They've got about one hundred.
Speaker 1: Bothies across the UK that are in their care and they kind of work to maintain these places.
Speaker 4: And keep them up and running.
Speaker 1: Although a lot of them don't have plumbing. They don't have running water. They don't have electricity, so they don't have really basic facilities.
Speaker 6: You were looking to have a room, We used to have to live in the corridor.
Speaker 5: Oh, we used to dream of living in a cotidor.
Speaker 1: It's just a very short term stay for people who are hiking in these remote areas.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting to me that the idea that, first of all, I guess that there's enough hospitality in the region to try to take care of, you know, wanderers. That's really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's something kind of charming about it and about them. And I don't know how much they are maintained. I think that's going to talk about this a little bit later. But they often get filled with dunk and rubbish, and I don't think they cleaned out terribly often.
Speaker 3: One of the interesting things about it is that most of these Bothy's are on private land. And it's true it, you know, so you really have to respect the land owner and the owner of the bothy. And I think it's great that this Mountain Bothy's Association comes in and tries to keep these things as maintained as possible. Because it is completely volunteer run for the most part, so it's it's a pretty cool thing. But I think a lot of people forget that they're on somebody's land, you know, when they're they're staying in these places. So we'll keep that in mind if you plan on bothying anytime in the near future, that you want to have as much respect for all of it as you can. But I think the history of the bothies is really interesting and why, you know, I think it feeds into why these places would be haunted in the first place. And part of that is, you know, like Karen was saying, these were kind of for workers on farms and things like that, and they would have to stay pretty much six months at a time in these tiny little structures, and it could be quite a few people, you know, staying in there at once. So they became viewed as a very evil place because they were kind of off the grid. They these people really weren't going to church. They you know, it was they could drink and curse and all kinds of things. So these were looked at as a place of evil by people more in the towns and cities. So you got to stay away from the b And then with the boffies come to boffy ballads.
Speaker 7: F my first feetim maien's eye wisbearely sixteen medjo wishday.
Speaker 3: Work and all mere the card queen.
Speaker 7: I card off the weeds and I sprayed them manure and care that toot mock at the man's drum your.
Speaker 8: Atim mertemis and the grief of the drum tappet me and the shooter and speared the netcom table works first pair for the winter half year. We have a big clicket horse.
Speaker 6: In our all eaten mere m my large it fuller the blue a story I will tell ted you or some of the own young's we gang through its sleepy tune and armor and.
Speaker 3: Market and wealthy.
Speaker 2: Lu.
Speaker 3: Now a lot of those were pretty blue as well. But uh, the interesting thing about the Bothy ballads is they were kind of like, in a sense, reading a newspaper about you know, u the people that stayed there. Because every six months there would be like these fairs, employment fairs that you could go to and get picked up by an employer for a six month contract. So these Bathi ballads would often be designed to warn people which farmers to stay away from, you know, which ones were cruel and didn't pay well or made really terrible oatmeal, or whatever the problem was, it would be in the Boffy ballad.
Speaker 1: That was actually, yeah, in one of the ballads that we heard about that they didn't make terribly good oatmeal, so it was a strike against them. Wow. But yeah, these Boffy ballads are really important. They do document and preserve the oral tradition of these farm workers and gives us a lot of insight into the lives that they led. And these stories were just passed down through generations, and as Matt said, they would warn people against unscrupulous employers. But it's just interesting with these ballads and with the legends that are around. I think they're all the most remote, and they're all considered to be the most haunted.
Speaker 2: That's with the story of bad oats and ghosts and people sleeping over I wonder if this is maybe a case of old Hagis syndrome.
Speaker 1: I was bracing myself for a pun there. I bet plenty of Hagis was eaten coffees over the decades. But as Matt said, why would these places be haunted? And we've found throughout many years of podcasting that history is often said to be haunted. And so these places contain a lot of history, a lot of legends. And as we keep saying, they're terribly remote, we can't stress that enough. They are in the middle of nowhere. We'd say, out in Coui in Australia.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, Karen, but there's always a storm coming.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's why you have to seek shelter in the ruin both bathy right.
Speaker 3: Always never fails.
Speaker 1: Well, these areas are a really subject to very unpredictable weather, so lots of rain and cold and snow and very severe storms. And they're often nestled in the mountains and in the valleys and glens and by locks.
Speaker 4: And by the sea as well.
Speaker 1: But they can be very treacherous to access and people need to hike through bogs and streams and crossing many miles, a lot of things that are creepy about them.
Speaker 3: Well, and then you get there and there may be people already in there that you have to share with, or you may get there and there's no one there, And then you get nice and comfortable and more people show up that you now have to share with. So you never know what you're going to get, and you don't know for one, if the people that you're sharing with are real or ghosts, or if they're if they're complete creeps, you you don't know what you're going to get. So there's a lot of I think tension, and just with the isolation of it, there's a lot of creep factor there as well.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, we want to be skeptics about the things that people are experiencing. They'll hear a lot of strange sounds from the weather and from animals, deer and mice. There problems with mice droppings in a lot of these bodies, so I think it could be pretty dangerous of a health perspective too. But I think that these shows like Uncanny and all the YouTube bios and podcasters are sharing a lot of stories and legends that are associated with these bothies. And also when you stay there, they have each place has its own Bothy book, So this is a kind of visitors book.
Speaker 4: For people to write about their experiences.
Speaker 1: And just from examples that Matt and I have seen a lot of claims of ghostly activity and even aliens, UFOs, people seeing all kinds of strange things, and so I think a lot of it can be explained from a natural perspective obviously, but certainly there are a lot of legends that we're going to go into a couple of them.
Speaker 3: I want you to picture this just a little bit. They call the fireplace BOTHYTV. Okay, because what you generally do is you come men, you start reading the Bothy book and all of the crazy stories in it and everything, and then you get your fire going and you sit down and you watch the fire very hypnotic, and you've just read all these creepy stories.
Speaker 4: You're always drinking.
Speaker 3: It is by law, you are drinking.
Speaker 1: Similar yep, and uh, it's it is just a recipe for the paranormal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it reminds me of that. This culture around upkeep and sharing stories reminds me a lot of shelters on the AT on the Appalachian Trail, and I'm sure they have something similar out west on the Pacific coast. But the on the AT, there's there's shelters, and there's organizations that maintain them and you know people, it's communal space. It it really reminds me of a lot. Yeah. Yeah, and it's it's rural. It's very rural. I know when I was kind of prepping for this, I did try to see if I could find any historical records of murderers or anything like why ghosts in these places in particular, And I didn't find any murders, but a lot of people have been killed. You're cruel, No, no, but seriously, I didn't find many references to murders. In fact, the oldest thing I found was what You're in the eighteen eighties, a distillery guy that mentions a haunted both the situated near a rock cavern, and that was basically it. So it seems like the ghost stories have not shockingly. I guess I've sort of increased in numbers since the Internet, you know, so I'm not sure if that's the main mechanism by which they spread, but it seems like, I guess, how would you know?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 2: You know, if before that, where would it have been captured? These are local phenomena slash legends, slash whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not aware of any Bothy ballads that tell of ghosts, but I mean there are a couple of Australian songs that I can think of told during the days of the when the country was colonized. Ghost stories and legends and things like that so there might have risen in those.
Speaker 4: Have you come across any note.
Speaker 3: Ghosts, not specifically. I'm trying to think if I heard any heard any about even like, you know, murders that had taken place that you know, that would be the next step. You know, a record of a murder in a song, could you know carry right into a legend?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess we'll go into a couple of the more famous bothies. So again yeah, yeah, the legends are that whichever bothy you're talking about, it tends to be the most remote, it tends to be the most haunted. So one of the more famous bothis is the White Lagan Bothy and it's located in Galloway Forest Park, So this is in southwest Scotland and it used to be one of those shepherd's houses. So White Lagan is said to be haunted by the ghost of a woman who once lived in the area, and the details are very vague. It said that she lived during the eighteenth or the nineteenth centuries. We don't know what her name is, we don't know any details about her or what she looks like, but some people say that she died tragically, that this was either from illness or exposure to the elements, or that she'd been ostracized by the nearby communities at the time, and she was known for being a recluse. So again with these stories, we get a lot of kind of lapping. They'll say one thing and then they'll say the complete opposite, so we just don't have any details.
Speaker 4: But they said that.
Speaker 1: After her death, very strange occurrences began to be reported in the Bothy and around that area. So you'll hear stories of hauntings that include things like footsteps. I mean, that's just a good kind of solid ghost legend. I think to hear fansom footsteps, which people hear outside at night when there's no one else there. You can imagine being alone in a bothy and just wondering if someone else is going to be joining you, and hearing that, you know, it could be the sounds of animals, And I guess we don't need to dissect all of this, but these are the stories and the legends. Some people claim that they hear a woman sobbing, or they hear her singing softly, or again that complete opposite, she's screaming, so they hear her yelling or screaming, and other people report doors closing by themselves and chairs moving. Matt and I have watched a ton of these videos, and in many of them you do hear doors being slammed, and often it's just an open plan kind of thing, but maybe the front door is slammed or chairs move, and from watching these, if you want to be a skeptic about it, it does seem like they're there's trickery involved. Perhaps they're using string, or there's someone off camera's who's closing the door or moving the chairs or doing something. So it just seems to be a very common thing that we see in these videos. People also talk about sudden drops in temperature, particularly in one corner of the White Lag and Bothy, and my favorite one is that people say the Bothy is colder inside than outside. That's fun, but obviously you're going to have cold spots and a little boffy like this with the there.
Speaker 4: Unless you have.
Speaker 1: Wood and something to burn, it's going to be terribly cold in those places. Colder outside obviously, but certainly cold in there. And often with the bad weather, it's very difficult to find wood. They won't let you cut from live trees, so you can only take firewood from from dead trees or from just twigs and sticks and things like that.
Speaker 2: And if it weren't for those Bothy books, how would you even get the fire started?
Speaker 1: And there's that too, right, I'm sure mouse drop its. But so other people complain about the feeling of being watched while they're inside the bothy or around the Bothy, and I can imagine that kind of thing happening too. I think at any given time we can have that kind of sensation if we're out of our own homes. So another story I came across too was that of night stalkers. And it seems like it depends who you talk to as to what this means, because when I thought night stalker, I started thinking serial killer, right ah, And then I started thinking Matt and I watched a few episodes and they talked about stalkers, and so it seemed to be hunters deer stalkers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's a phrase, yeah exactly. They used deer stalker to meet someone who hunts deer exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a deer stalker is a particular type of hat as well. But how do you know about them?
Speaker 5: And I mentioned my dear Watson, this man has been dead for at least two hours, and so fear hunters.
Speaker 1: But it seems really interesting because I think that this has evolved off the back of the idea of the skin walker in American crypti folklore that people are now faming. They've seen these see these humanoid cryptids, and sometimes they're wearing hoods, or they're just strange, tall, gangly looking creatures.
Speaker 4: That walk the moors and the.
Speaker 1: Hills, and so I think that there's some conflation of folklore here, and people are seeing things that they think they might see in or have heard about from American folklore. But I think this is a real mishmash. Whatever the going cryptids are, I guess of the day people will incorporate into modern boffy folklore. But you know, you hear of lots of stories of people just saying they had such unsettling experiences when they were staying overnight that they packed up and they left before morning, just saying that the atmosphere was too oppressive, they were unable to sleep because of all of the creepy noises and our normal activity that was going on. So that's the white Lag and Boffy anyway, and definitely one of the more famous ones, and I think it's one of the more accessible ones. But yeah, a lot of stories surrounding that, and Matt looked into a different Bothy.
Speaker 3: The two most popular that we were seeing on YouTube was the White Lagen Bothy and the Ben Alder Bothy or they've been Alder Cottage. Now. Ben Alder's a mountain in the Scottish Highlands. It's about three thousand, seven hundred and sixty six feet at its highest point. Now, so we'll start this one talking a little bit about this mountain. So recently, we're talking nineteen ninety six there a body was found on the mountain at the edge of a cliff face, and they called it the Man with No Name because it took a full year for them to discover who it was. But the weird thing was to say his heart was pierced with an old fashioned lead ball bullet, and all the labels had been like.
Speaker 2: A musket ball, like a musketball, so it's like a like not a bullet like you would buy at the store, but like a black powder ball.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, not familiar with this stuff.
Speaker 3: I have some questions about this whole thing. But I'll go a little further. The labels have been cut from his clothing. All forms of identification like credit cards were missing. He had a replica Remington forty four with him. Unsuitable slip on shoes. I like that they brought in the fact that they were unsuitable.
Speaker 2: Unsuitable it needs crocs, but.
Speaker 4: Those are always unsuitable.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, unfashionable slip on shoes. And he had three bottles of water and about twenty one pounds of cash. Now it was figured out about a year later, so.
Speaker 2: You twenty one pounds, like like the unity the current he.
Speaker 3: Was carrying weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a big difference. That's a very specific weight he had.
Speaker 3: He had a whole lot of dollars, weighed twenty.
Speaker 4: One pounds pounds. Yeah, Well, never took on the euro, did they.
Speaker 3: No, No, no, So it was it was a year later that they did craniofacial reconstruction of his face. And uh, a friend of the family saw it and thought it might be sown by the name of Emmanuel Kilt from South Paris, France. So you know, a little a little bit of a distance to get to the highlands of Scotland. But he was last seen by his parents like a previous year to that, so nineteen ninety five, so it was a full year that he had been kind of missing.
Speaker 4: So this is all true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is all true. He sold his car for like three hundred and fifty pounds in a pair of CROs in a pair of crocs, And then.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't make fun I mean, he's dead, so that's not well, not ideal.
Speaker 3: He can't defend himself right now against the Trock's allegations.
Speaker 2: But uh.
Speaker 3: So he stayed at a hotel in Glasgow, uh two days after he sold his car. He paid with his visa for that, so they kind of confirmed his identity from that. Now some people think he was murdered because a witness had seen him with another man at the Railroads railway station, but the forensic evidence points to suicide. So he shot himself in the heart, which is an odd way to kill yourself with a musket. Wow, that he would have had to have, you know, dragged all that up on the cliff face of ben Alder Mountain there, You know.
Speaker 1: It does sound does some parts of the story sound like he did plan to take his own life, his car and getting his affairs in order, just very sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very strange.
Speaker 2: I don't want to speculate. Well, I guess what we're doing, but it might be not so much that he wanted to shoot himself with a you know, black powder weapon, but the gun laws made that the easiest route.
Speaker 3: No, I can see that. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: It ain't like Georgia where it's just you know which version of the AR fifteen do you want to use.
Speaker 4: Over too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: To me, this is is something that could be the beginnings of a ghost story that that's going to be trickling down to the cottage now. Of course, been older cottage is known as one of them most remote and haunted Bothy's in Scotland, and I know we've not said that before, so I want to lock that in here. It is located in the Central Highlands and it's right on the shores of lock airt The building's like right at the base of the mountain and it's like right on the shore, so it's really kind of tough to get to. It's remote. It's like eight point five miles from the nearest road. It was last inhabited in nineteen eighteen and there's a lot of ghostly stories, but let's talk about the two most famous ones. First off, it's said that it's haunted by its first inhabitant, a man named McCook, and the story is that he hanged himself on the back of the front door. And to me, this is interesting. You can see a picture here in the show notes that's me at age ten, in front of my Bothy. I lived in this small, one room cabin for six years by myself and my three dogs. And in this cabin there was a to me, in my ten year old mind, a ghost that was just like this McCook guy. He would show up when I would get in bed, and he would stand right next to the front door, and I could clearly see, you know, his sort of a plaid or I guess we would say tartan shirt. Yeah, and he would stand there next to the door and just stare at me as I would lay in bed, and incredibly creepy and really freaked me out. And then I was told later on that the description of the person I was describing was a real person that lived in there and had accidentally shot himself. So it's like I feel a little bit of a connection to this.
Speaker 2: Maca one story cabin. But the biggest problem is the stairs.
Speaker 4: Yes, and are you able to see the picture?
Speaker 2: I am, I just got it open that. I mean, that's a really neat looking cabin. Yeah, not a few if it's your only home, and every I get, yeah, ten years ago.
Speaker 1: So it just that's going into I guess another's all together different territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know for sure. I mean when you tell me, the first thing I'm thinking is this is a story you've somehow failed to mentioned before now, But I'm also thinking it's it's got this weird parallel in that my dad loved to find old cabins and tear them down and then restore them for people. And like tearing down cabins and reassembling them was a big chunk of my youth. It's kind of crazy, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've spoken about that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I guess Matt, you just grew up in a remote part of Colorado and I had some family issues, and so you just wanted to escape from it all.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, I worked on a cattle ranch, herding cattle the people, and I don't don't write in not not her team cattle, but I don't know practices at the time, but it was it was a very interesting, interesting life, you know, to to grow up in. So when we talk about these uh, the help that stayed in these bothis uh, you know, as they would work for these different farmers and ranchers and everything. It's I definitely feel a big kinship with them about that. But we have another story about the ben Alderbothy, and that's during a very violent storm. There's no dates around this, we don't know when it happened, but during a very violent storm, a woman and her infant took refuge in this bothy and they were trapped there for days, and her sanity diminished as her hunger, desperation, and isolation grew, and she was driven mad with hunger, and she killed and ate her own child, and then was seen passing through the moorland, wild eyed with despair that no one dared cross her path. She eventually became lost in the morasses of the place. So it's a very gruesome story that is still being told to this day about this boffy. But you know, we've now come to the part where we ruin all the fun.
Speaker 4: Now, I think we've been ruining the fun as we go along, all right.
Speaker 3: Now, residents who lived in the cottage during the nineteen thirties actually made up that story about the crazed woman as a way to spook away unwelcome travelers you'd like to call them travelers. But yes, yes, But isn't that interesting that ghost stories used to be used to scare people away and now they're used to attract business.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that is ironic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we've had a one eighty there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is a really good point.
Speaker 1: And absolutely, I think a lot of these bodies were a little known about. It's just interesting that they used to be for farm hands and for men and women too at times, and that nowadays it's really for white collar workers who just want to get out of town, get out of Dodge for the weekend, and I want to just go and hike. So it's really different kind of demographic that uses them nowadays.
Speaker 3: I do want to finish with McCook, and then I also want to say really quickly that one of the interesting things is that all these YouTubers, they are kind of dedicated to just doing hiking videos, and when one or two of them spent the night in one of these Bothy's, and they focused their video on the idea that, oh, there's I'm spending a night in a haunted Bothy. Suddenly that video would go viral.
Speaker 4: Oh and then that cause shows what people want.
Speaker 2: It's the pressure, the algorithm, all these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You'd see these videos, pretty earnest videos of hikers and they've got two hundred views, and then suddenly they've got one hundred and sixty seven thousand views. So people are absolutely gobbling up the ghost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as as usual. It's definitely that way. So to the McCook story, one of his descendants heard the story and was able to correct the main component, which is that he died peacefully in his bed at the age of eighty five. He did not hang himself off the back of the door.
Speaker 4: So that doesn't matter. The truth doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you yeah, well, I forget what I said.
Speaker 2: You're right, well, I mean, the legends always.
Speaker 4: Win, I mean, you know, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, so we thought we'd just looked at just in closing, because we're getting to that time we should look at the real risks of bothies. So a lot of people are frightened about visiting these places, thinking that there are nights talkers or ghosts or just other creaky spooky activity. But I think in reality there are some real risks of staying in these bothies from what we've seen and what we've read and just thought about that it can be dangerous for people to stay in these places with strangers, especially women. There was a woman on a folklore podcast and she was talking about how she turned up to one of these bothies and was really relishing just the peace and the quiet being by herself.
Speaker 3: But the thing is is she was freaking out as well because she had made didn't she make?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: Like a wrong turn and she oh, she was trying to cross a river or something that could have been really dangerous, and she came just inches from death, and she's really thinking about how close she came to ending.
Speaker 1: Her life and then yeah, I forgot that bit, and then now it's anticlimactic, but no, So, yeah, she had been traveling and I think that she.
Speaker 4: Took a wrong turn and a.
Speaker 1: Little roads seemed to lead to bothies in that area, so she eventually found her way back. But I think she was enjoying the peace and quiet and also just reflecting on her life as well, and then suddenly six Polish men turn up. But it can absolutely be dangerous. I've read a number of articles by women who like to go hiking and talk about the experiences that had that men have been inappropriate with the things that they've said and their behavior and physically touching women, and just they're so uncomfortable that they end up leaving. So I think they're not leaving because of ghosts or spooky activity, because they're just feeling intimidated by men being there, creepy men and having to leave.
Speaker 3: But it is interesting because she, you know, was focusing so much on, you know, her previous near brush with death that these guys showing up with all these whiskey, with all this whiskey, was like, I didn't even fase.
Speaker 2: He didn't trigger the right fear response.
Speaker 3: Yet it did not, and they all got drunk and had a great time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, she she was fine in that instance, had a savor, Yeah she did. But I've heard of other cases where women have been harassed, and I haven't heard of anything more serious than that. That's serious enough, but certainly lots of women who just feel like they need to excuse themselves and leave the bothy because they're in fear of their lives, and I just think if you're prepared to face the elements in a remote part of Scotland rather than dealing with a guy.
Speaker 4: That really says a lot.
Speaker 1: But other than that, there are issues with wild partying and drinking and vandalism and as they call it, they're fire raising, which is their term for arson. Oh wow, we've been hearing too about bothi's becoming places for drug deals.
Speaker 4: I think that's.
Speaker 1: Really go on on.
Speaker 2: How many pounds of dollars do I need to bring?
Speaker 1: So to the point where a lot of these bothies are having to be patrolled by police. And then you've got nature Mother nature as well, so torrential storms and even bush fires. We watch video and there was a guy who was approaching a boffy. He'd always wanted to visit there, and he was stopped repeatedly on his trip there by police and just other officials and park rangers who were saying, you have to turn back, it's really dangerous. But he wanted to make the trip to the Bothy at least to say he'd been there and then returned to a local village, and he just said he couldn't leave, how much his clothes freaked of smoke, and how dangerous it was. There was a fire, a bush fire that was just over the hill and could have really easily gotten closer if the wind had changed, and he would have been in dire straits then. So there are a lot of real risks associated with Bothy. I think it's something I would love to do, but I don't know if i'd want to do that with a ten year old and being a woman too. I think that there are some absolute concerns there and it is something.
Speaker 3: That may not be around forever, you know, because of all the vandalers, some criminal behavior and disrespect this is landowner's private property. You know, they could easily say that's it, gig game over, everyone out of the port.
Speaker 1: What happens That's happened with the number of places where people have just taken them back and said, well, we're ripping them out of the association because they're just getting damaged and it's just bringing too many people on trespasses and problems. So yeah, I think we really want to preserve these places. And it's much like camping here or in any other country, you really want to leave it as you found it all better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the makings of a Bloomhouse movie. So I expect that Haunted book Both the about the next year, probably, yes, maybe next week. They not them out pretty fast.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can go to Mountainbothis dot org dot uk and it's a great website to tells you how to you know, how to behave, how you can help, how to find these places. You know, how to catch a bit of boffy fever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find the best of boffy worlds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they are incredibly interesting places, very beautiful and just sleeeped in history and folklore and so no wonder they've become a target for ghost stories and legends.
Speaker 3: Yeah on drug deals.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you bringing this to our listeners. I mean the I think what we might go a little further into some of these sort of Scottish legends too, because I was thinking about it. I'd love to the Gray Man have been mc dewey. I don't know if that's how you sound say that, but there's some really interesting effects that go on, and I love the way that this has led to all sorts of ghost stories and it's yet it's.
Speaker 4: Actually we need to find an expert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, we can start doing that. Seriously, that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear from our listeners if anyone has been to a body, if they've traveled to one, and any experiences that they've had. Is it a lot out there on reddits and just treads online and just stories everywhere. But I'm sure we've had some listeners who've.
Speaker 2: Been to I'm sure, yeah, for sure. And I'm reminded a little bit of what we had. Was it the Blackfriars Kirkyard, I think that's right. It was the Oh, it was the Great Friars Kirkyard. It was the Scottish Kirkyard where there was the haunting and the churchyard.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just kept thinking of the same thing. It's it's it's it's cold and wet and dangerous. Yeah, there's cold spots. Yes, you're in Scotland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course there's cold spots.
Speaker 4: It's some giant cold spot.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but but these are sounds like a first of all, it sounds like some really interesting stories. Uh. And I'll put links in the show notes to that episode where there's more than one episode that sort of covers this topic on that BBC show, which is a fun show. It does a really nice mix of telling the legends and also bringing in skeptics. So maybe we'll hear more about that later.
Speaker 4: Yeah sounds good.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks a lot, guys, monster you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolesner. You just heard Matt Baxter and Karen stoles Know sharing their thoughts on stories of haunted bothies in the rural wilds of the UK. Check the show notes for more reading and listening on this topic. We hope you enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Our goal here is to bring you the best in monster related content with a focus on scientific skepticism and critical thinking. If you enjoy our show and want to support our mission, start out by visiting monster talk dot org forward slash support. That's monster talk dot org forward slash Support. There you'll find links to our Patreon page, as well as a donate button if you'd like to just make a one time contribution. A great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon wish list. These are books that directly help with our monster research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we're also very fond of kindle editions because of their easily searched content and without spending any money at all. You can support and raise the profile of the show by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. Finally, remember to share episodes you really like with your friends and family. You can help make Monster Talk the nightlight that keeps monsters away from someone you love. Monster Talk theme music's by Pete Stealing Monkeys. You know, I wrote a short poem about bathroom conditions and these rural lodgings. I guess you could call it a hike you. This has been a Monster House presentation