Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, August tenth, twenty twenty six, and I'm the host of the show Doctor Kara Santa Maria, and I am back from a trip to Australia and New Zealand where I had so so much fun traveling with my sgu cohort Steve, Bob and Jay, as well as Angela Jones, Roy and Brian Weckt, as well as my partner and the partners and family of some of my colleagues. It was a huge group and we managed to be drama free, although a bunch of us got sick, which I guess is to be expected when you're traveling to the Southern Hemisphere so the winter in some time, it's a drastic shift, and of course there are all of those fun viruses that are floating around during the season. But I'm back now and somewhat over the jet lag, and gosh, I just had so much fun, both at the Australian Skeptics meeting where we did not a con, as well as the meeting of the New Zealand Skeptics and all of the cool stuff that we did in between. I visited fabulous Maudi spa in rohod Arua on the North Island of New Zealand. We went to Hobbiton which was interesting, very very cool. We spent some time in Sydney in Australia and also in christ Church in New Zealand for the conferences, and went to the Zoo and Wellington on the North Island. Just so much fun and I got to meet some of you, which is awesome, awesome, awesome. So before we get into this week's episode, as always, I want to thank those of you who make Talk Nerdy possible. If you're interested in pledging your support still for the time being on an episodic basis, all you've got to do is visit patreon dot com slash talk Nerdy to learn more. This week's top patrons include Chuck Blell, David J. E. Smith, Daniel Lang, Will DeFraine, David Compton, Brian Holden, Gabo Jay l Rika Hagman and wouldn't you know it, Pascale Galotti. Pascali Galotti, I got to meet you in person. You're freaking awesome. That was so much fun. I'm so glad that we got to spend a little bit of quality time. Wish it had been more. I got to learn how to say your name correctly. Gosh, I hope I'm still not butchering it. I've said Galotti for years. Pascali Galotti, you are awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you as well as Mary Neiva, Rica Maharaj, Joe Wilkinson, and so many more of you. Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. All right, let's get into thank you it. This week I had the opportunity to chat with ROBERTA Quak. She is a science writer. She's written for a ton of different outlets, from The New York Times to The New Yorker to New Scientist audubonn She has a fellowship from the Night Science Journalism Program at MIT, a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. She's won awards from Triple As, the American Geophysical Union, and she worked in a science lab before she became a science journalist and is very, very interested in the scientific process. So she has a new book out called Lost in Curiosity Field Notes from Scientists' Adventures into the Unknown. So, without any further ado, here she is Roberta Quack. Well, Roberta, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here. Thanks so much for having me on me too.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna be talking about your new book, Lost in Curiosity, field notes from Scientists' Adventures into the Unknown. But before we get into the actual kind of content of the book, I'd love to take some time just to get to know you a little bit more. And you're positioning to or within the book. So you're a science writer, but before you became a science journalist, you worked in the sciences. It's it's always interesting to me when I talk to folks who are sort of on that line between doing science and writing about science, or maybe they've spent a whole career as a science communicator or a science journalist. Some people it seems like kind of go through the j school route and then they learn the beat while they're doing the work. And then other folks I do notice there's like a subset of science writers who were scientists, like they were trained in the sciences and then decided, you know what I want to I want to write about this. I think that's that's more my bag. Would you consider yourself in that camp?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm in the second camp, though I would say I'm maybe only partly trained in the sciences because I did my undergrad in biology, and I did sort of, you know, bounce around between a few labs for you know, summer internships. And I did work after graduation in a genetics lab as you mentioned. But I didn't do I didn't go through like the ordeal of a PhD as a lot of my fellow science writers have, where they get part way through their pg D and then they're like, oh, my gosh, I can't do this. I don't want to be a scientists for the rest of my life. So luckily I figured that out before I went into a PhD program. I had kind of a weird what happened I'm thinking back. So I did my undergrad in biology. I actually worked in software engineering for a while. I was living in Silicon Valley, so everyone was doing that. And then so the genetics lab work. I was actually a software engineer. I wasn't like doing things with test tubes or pipets or anything.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then from there I switched into creative writing, fiction writing, and then took a left turn again into science journalism. So that's how I ended up where I am now.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, So you you know, you obviously chose to major in biology because there because it was interesting to you, and it, you know, kept your attention long enough to get to get through your undergrad But then you didn't initially have the intention of becoming a science writer.
Speaker 2: You mean when I was an undergrad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't sort as you were figuring out what you wanted to do with your life.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think I really knew it was even an option back then, And I hear that from a lot of science writers that we we didn't even realize that was something people did as their or it's just not it's not like a it's just not a common option that comes to mind. So, you know, the options seemed like I could try to go to med school, I could try to go to grad school, and I kind of didn't want to do either of those things. But since so many people were doing computer scientists was like early what two thousands in the Bay areas, so that's all that anyone was thinking about. This must have been like right before the dot com bust or something and so or boom boom and then bust. But yeah, so I I instead kind of went to a bionformatics company where I was doing, you know, programming, and that's how I ended up on that path.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. And so you know, throughout your career, then, how have you twisted and turned? Like have you kind of stayed the course? Have you had specific beats within science? Do you tend to you know, write more long form, do you tend to write more kind of fast coverage, like how what has been your approach?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think most science writers when they're starting out, we do news articles because you know, they're shorter, they're easier to manage. You know, it's a few interviews, you get it done within a day or a few days. So most of us will cut our teeth doing that. And then you know, as time went on, I started to get more ambitious, like I wanted to do more narrative features. And I think that was partly two from that training that I had in fiction writing for the MFA program. You know, you learn all these tools of the trade, these you know, craft techniques for you know, creating scenes and dialogue and character and setting and all that, and so I wanted to put some of that to use in my science writing too. So I did start to try to pitch and write more features at that point and then yeah, and then I guess after maybe decade or so, is when I started thinking about like going to the book route and taking on an even bigger project.
Speaker 1: Narratively speaking, it's a I think it's like super super scary. I have not taken the plunge. I have you know, received let's say, encouragement to do so, and it just it's such a daunting task to me to sit down, conceptualize, pitch, edit, right and edit and right and edit and right and edit a full length book. So I'm curious, how did you even begin that process? How did you even choose what you wanted to write about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess if we're talking about the idea for this book and how that started, I mean that actually started when I was in that MFA program in fiction writing. So I was taking an essay writing class and I needed a topic for an essay assignment, and I happened to be friends with this evolutionary biologist Ben, who was doing his PhD program at the same university, and he was studying sunflower genetics, and so I thought, well, it would be fun to you know, follow Ben around on his experiments and write a narrative essay about his research. So I followed him on a twenty hour experiment where we were taking leaf samples every few hours, and we started at seven am, we ended at three am the following morning, and there were basically like kind of a series of unfortunate events, which you know, the upshot was that Ben decided at the end at three am that he would probably just have to redo the entire experiment no, which I'm guessing some scientists in your audience will identify. And so that I mean that that just stayed with me because you know, it just brought home his his dedication, his perseverance, like to him, but wasn't even a big deal, like, oh yeah, of course, I'll just do it all again. And so I was keeping that in the back of my mind that you know, I was interested in this idea of the scientific process and all the labor that happens behind the scenes, all the you know, obstacles and challenges and the human struggle that happens behind the scenes before you get to that result. So that was percolating for a long time, and then it was maybe after like ten or twelve years later that I thought I could write a book where I'd follow a different research project from a different field of science in each chapter. So we'd have like astronomy, geology, evolutionary biology, whatever, and then each chapter would follow that person or that teen's journey through their research question.
Speaker 1: I love that, so, you know, I've it's interesting because I feel like I've had a few folks on the show before who were more sort of like process oriented, right, really asking the questions that I find the most interesting, which is not so much what do we know? But like how how do we know what we know? And how do we know what we don't know? And what are all the twists and turns that come along in the path. But I feel like most of the time when we discuss that sort of process of science, it's from like a historian perspective. So maybe somebody will have written a book about a particular scientist or a particular discovery, and they'll have, you know, dug deep into the archives to tell the real story of it, and not like the simplified loan genius story that we often hear. But I love that your approach is more contemporary. It's kind of like what is what are how are these people doing this?
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I think that's true that a lot of it. You'll find a lot of those stories in you know, history books, and those stories are fascinating too, right, like going back and hearing the twist and turns that you know, the scientist went through to get to this big discovery. And I think the advantage of advantage of doing a contemporary approach is that, I mean I get to see it happening in real time, like in front of my eyes, right, Like I get to be in the field with the scientists, you know, in Greenland when they're trying to study this glacier, or I get to I mean sometimes it's remote, like one scientist was trying to study these frogs in Borneo, and even though I wasn't there with her, I was like getting her updates and we were, you know, communicating a lot about all the obstacles that she was coming up against. So I think just getting to see it unfold in real time, and we can't really do that with historical stories, right You're trying to reconstruct things from documents or letters or something. But if you can just be there and the thick of it with them, that's great because you can construct scenes from that, and I think that's part of what can help draw readers in is to feel like they're really there with the scientists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, It's it's different now too, because science is I mean, I feel like the I guess the philosophy of science has maybe been clarified, and there have been some adjustments, some updates, you know, since kind of early scientific thought. But ultimately the biggest leap, especially even like within the last five, ten twenty years, has been the technology, the advancements that scientists use, right, Like, Okay, I want to answer this question or I'm really interested in interrogating this unknown and I don't know how to do it. So I'm going to try and develop a tool, and then now that I have this tool, I can I can dig a little bit deeper. Do you find that sometimes when you are kind of embedded with scientists and you're working with them, that it's easy to get caught up in the technology, the how all of this stuff happens because it's so sophisticated.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I mean, I guess it was sometimes it was tricky to figure out, Okay, how deep into the weeds are we going to go on the methodology? Right? Because in some sense. I mean, that's where the story is happening, right'. It's in the weeds where they're encountering these obstacles. But you also don't want readers to just get so lost in the details that we're losing the bigger narrative. Like so, for example, one chapter is about astronomers who are trying to detect the first convincing evidence of an exo moon, so a moon circling a planet outside our Solar system, And this is incredibly difficult to two because these planets are very far away, these moons are often very tiny, they're going to be tiny compared to their planets, and there's so many other things that can trick you into thinking that you have found a signal of a moon when it's actually something else. And so there is a lot of sort of technological and methodological detail that goes into, you know, trying to separate the signal from the noise and trying to make sure like is this real, is this just kind of a mirage? Are we just seeing something that we want to see? And so I had to sort of make some decisions about when to go into that in great detail and whether to keep it higher level.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And I feel like that's probably always a science journalist or science writer's struggle among many, But it's sort of at what level of depth? Because you can always go deeper, you can always get more technical, you can always get stuck more in the weeds, and you can always back off and speak about things in a much broader, much more general, much more kind of almost like social or humanistic way. And there's so much latitude there. And I find that different different science writers really do approach those questions differently, and it makes for you know, that's why there are so many different stories about even the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like, I mean, if there is going to be some level of technical detail, it does have to be sort of balanced out or that there has to be moments in the book where I zoom out to those bigger questions so it doesn't just feel like we're talking about like software programs or something, right, Like, there has to be like a bigger picture why are we doing this? Like why are they so fascinated by this? Like and you know, with the Exo Moon story, it's really about this. It's this, it's this spirit of discovery of exploration, you know, finding things that we haven't found before, being the first to find like the first human to ever see something for the first time, and it raises these questions of objectivity and how you can whether you can trust what you're seeing, or whether you're seeing something that you that you are hoping so hard is there that you're almost kind of like willing it into existence? So I think there has to be that zooming in on the detail, but then also zooming out to those big questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's there's this whole other leg isn't there of sort of you know, it's one thing if we are turning our instruments and our eyes and our ears and our senses to the cosmos and we are trying to describe or understand something that either has has not been described or understood or requires clarification. And it's another thing if we're doing that, you know, towards our own home planet, towards our backyard, towards our oceans, towards you know, different ecosystems. There's there's this other layer, I think of humility that's required with the sciences that we haven't always historically had. I was just saying this to my partner yesterday I got like a news alert because I get those often about a new monkey species, and it was literally I saw that too.
Speaker 2: I didn't yeah, yeah, find it, but I was like, oh, what what's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it looked bizarre and I was like, oh, but but I just hated how the headline. All the headlines I saw were like new new species, new species discovered, and it's over and over, this thing is new, And then in the lead, like the very next line, it would say something like known to locals as and it had a name, and I'm like, it's not new, like it's just new to science, like to Western science. It's newly described by West right right. There's this really interesting, I think layer to conversations about exploration, conversations about you know, the beauty I think, and the humanity of being curious and of setting out to answer questions where I think we do have to always take a step back and say, like, and what is my positioning within the milieu, and how can I explore in such a way that is respectful and that is open minded, and that doesn't require I guess the historical hubris that that many scientists or explorers have had that said like I am the only person who is equipped to answer this question, and I am you know, my opinion on this is is so much more important. Did you find that this kind of younger generation of researchers that you've worked with is more sensitive to this approach?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I have a good way to contrast younger and older researchers broadly, but I mean, for one chapter, the evolutionary biology chapter, the scientist she's from Columbia originally but and now in the States, but she studies a frog species in Borneo, and I think she did, I mean, she did always collaborate with local scientists and you know, relied on their expertise, and so that was always, you know, part of her research plan. And that I mean that chapter was intro too, because you know, what you're saying about the monkey reminds me of this story the frog species that she was studying. It's like it has this sort of particular parental behavior that scientists have found interesting that you know, the males will carry their tadpoles on their backs to pools and you know, drop them off there to grow up, and they'll look after the eggs until they become tadpoles and so on. And I think the initial reports of this were, you know, from Western scientists. It was maybe a few decades ago that those appeared. But when I interviewed the scientists and when I looked sort of closer at the papers, it was an indigenous local who found that first evidence. Like they were helping the you know, the team, this team that had showed up from the US, and they had a team of locals that were that were helping with the scientific data collection. And it was the local you know, staff worker who found the mail frog carrying as tadpoles. So and it was one of those things where I wanted to find out this person's name, but there was no way I could do that because it had happened, you know, decades ago, and there wasn't any way to track that down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that that's one of those It makes me wonder how often is that the case? Right, Like in the annals of history and the stories that we tell, how often are these incredible discoveries, especially when we're talking about like ecology or investigation from or by a group of scientists in a land that they're not from. How often are the descriptions and the stories that they tell really built I think on the on the really hard work of local individuals who because they don't have the degrees or the associations or the whatever, they really don't always get there.
Speaker 2: Due well they very rarely get there, do Yeah, I mean that person was not an author on the paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, yeah, it's rough, right, And so I'm curious, you know, as you as you went about kind of telling these really interesting stories and ultimately how many how many different scientists well I shouldn't say how many individual scientists, but how many different stories did you include in the book?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So there's nine chapters and it's kind of a mix of life sciences and physical sciences, so sort of all over the board.
Speaker 1: And did you kind of was the sort of choice to include what you included because those were the scientists that you were able to embed with, and those were the you know, the trips that you were able to go on and the reporting that you were able to do. Or did you have sort of like a wealth of stuff and you really had to pare it down?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was an interesting process. So I I mean, for some of the chapters I had written, maybe like a short news story, or I interviewed this person once before for a future story, but hadn't gone into tremendous depths on their research. And if I found myself sort of thinking, like, you know, if that was still sort of nagging at me, like, h, I wonder what happened with that? Because I knew they were going to do more, Like I knew they were going to take further steps, then I would call that person back and say, you know, what's going on now, Like, for example, one the chemistry chapter, I had interviewed Jenny Ingram, who's an indigenous chemist who studied the effects of uranium mining contamination on the Nabjo nation, And so I had just a few paragraphs about her in a feature, but I knew that she'd had, you know, many many students who had come through her lab over the years, many of them also Indigenous, and they were trying to understand the effects on their community. And so there seemed to be a bigger sort of generational story about this, you know, this research unfolding over many years. So that was one that I went back to, and then other chapters it was, you know, the topics were totally new to me. It was. Really it was a very unscientific process. I'll say I was like choosing what the other topics would be. I mean it was you know, me scanning tons of journal articles and news stories and calling people and talking to tons of people and then just just like waiting in that conversation for that spark that like that there had to be some kind of emotional connection that I felt with the researcher with the research question, like something that made me feel there's like an emotional heart to this story that makes me want to follow it more so. Yeah, I really so much about the I mean, the logistical questions played into it too, but you know, for some of them, I didn't even know until later whether I'd be able to follow them in the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think one of the themes that I hear again and again from science writers that I have on the show, regardless of their of their sort of academic or just meandering life path, is that really the way to write science is to tell stories, and especially to tell stories of people like as readers. This is how we connect, This is how we remember, this is how we become emotionally invested. We need characters and we need plot points. You know, we need to be able to like we are just a storytelling species. And so is that a decision that you made very very early on, Like that is going to be my approach because that is how I write.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I knew it would definitely be narrative. It had to be. I mean it was. I mean that's if we're talking about you know, this book is about the process of science, the messy middle of science. I mean, that's what narrative is, right. It's like conflict, odbstacles. You know, a character has a dream, a goal. If you think about in my MFA program, the fiction writing program, there's some like diagree that they teach everyone in undergrad classes where it's like, you know, like rising action, obstacles, climax, dneumont right, and that's a key part of what makes a story. And that's exactly what science is, right. You know, they've got this question they want to answer. Obstacles are thrown in the way, will they or will they not overcome them? And you know, are they going to come out on the other side? So I think like the whole narrative approach is totally inherent to science. Like it's not even something that I had to force.
Speaker 1: You know, and I love because having worked as a scientist for many, many years before I then moved more into science communication and then kind of went back and got more involved in the clinical side of psychology. But I worked as a neuroscientist in a lab, and I can attest to the fact that if you were to ask me about all of the thrilling experiences I had asking questions, I would say, Oh, my gosh, nobody would want to follow me around the lab. It's so boring, It is so frustrating. It's mostly just beating my head against the wall and being like, well that didn't work. Okay, let's try something else. Well that didn't work either, And so it's so funny that from the perspective of the person doing science, I wonder how often you would hear things like oh, it's such a joy, Like like I'm so you know, my curiosity takes me to all these interesting places and it's like fascinating.
Speaker 2: No, they're probably all.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, I'd never want to try this again.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but I mean that's what makes I mean, I think that's what makes readers care about the characters in the book, Like you you know, if you see someone struggle, you're kind of rooting for them to keep going. But I mean it's true that. I mean, one challenge of the book was that, I mean, there is a lot of science that's super boring where you're just doing stuff over and over again. And there was of course, I could not write a chapter where it's like, oh, they did this experiment, don't work, so we're going to do it again, and it didn't work, We're gonna do it again, and like on and on. There had to be some kind of progression, right Like, it couldn't. It didn't want it to feel repetitive, even though you know, parts of science obviously are repetitive. So there was a lot of I mean, I don't know, like with the physics chapter, right like, this was about physicists studying the paper crumpling and whether we can detect you know, predictable patterns when you crumple a sheet of papercores at all just random, right, or the parts of it that are that can be predictable. And I think I sat in probably on like more than a dozen Zoom meetings, so I have hours and hours of audio, like probably ten or fifteen interviews in addition with the main researcher and all the other researchers, So all of that had to be kind of shaped into a narrative. And so there's definitely parts that I had to skip over because it would take you don't want, like the no reader wants to sit through like fifteen hours of zoom meetings, right, So I really had to figure out, Okay, what are sort of the key plot points, Like what were the key turning points, because those did happen like amidst all the sort of tedium and you know, just meeting over and over like endlessly discussing these same points or whatever. Like, there were turning points for sure, and so it was a matter of noticing those and like noticing also the moments of emotion and making sure that those were sort of the guide posts for the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that that really is sort of the it's funny. I was about to say privilege. That is definitely not the right word. The skill, I guess, the the insight that a science writer such as yourself would bring to the you know, sometimes mind numbing, oftentimes frustrating kind of day in day out labor of actually doing lab science is that you can take a step back. You can kind of hold this perspective of the larger story, how it fits into the life arger millieu, how it you can see those inflection points, probably very easily because you're not in the muck all day every day, like you're you're dipping into the muck and dipping back, So you at least you at least get that, you know, you can empathize with how how frustrating and boring it sometimes is. But it's it's funny how when you're in it, it just feels interminable, like it does not feel dynamic, It does not feel like there are these inflection points. It feels like a slog until you publish, and even that's the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I will say, I mean there were there was only so much that I could participate in that I was like party two, right, So for example, what the physics team, there was a graduate student who was doing tons of lab experiments like crumpling I don't know, probably hundreds of sheets of paper and like all this little apparatus in the lab and like scanning them with lasers and taking all these measurements. I mean, it was incredibly laborious, and I did do a field reporting trip, but I only visited the lab for a day, so I didn't see, you know, all of the I think, you know, ideally, as a reporter, it would have been great to spend yeah, like many months visiting and seeing him at his work, but I didn't have that opportunity because it was on the other side of the country. So so yeah, I'm sure there were huge, huge swaths of the story that I missed that were very boring and or.
Speaker 1: Not in the book, like how many times did you observe an acute mental breakdown?
Speaker 2: I don't think I saw any mental breakdown. No, I don't know. That's good.
Speaker 1: Anybody quit it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: No, that didn't happen. I mean there were certainly moments of frustration, that's for sure. I mean, I guess the closest that this, I mean the closest that I would say and this at all was not at all like a breakdown, but just you know, genuine frustration. Because the the glaciology team I followed, you know, they they do a field expedition to Greenland once a year, and so I had tagged along in twenty twenty three, and there's so much preparation that goes into these field expeditions. Right, there's so much time, with so much money. There's so much like thought and care that goes into just getting there and making sure you get on the ice and like you know, get the instruments on the ice. There's weather problems, there's helicopter problems, there's so many things that can go wrong. And in one conversation, so I'm sitting you know, at the hotel in town with these researchers who are still in town. The rest of our team is on the glacier, and there's some question about whether they're going to be able to get out these radar instruments that are buried under the ice, Like they put them out last year, but now they're buried under you know, several meters of snow and ice, and there's a real question about whether they're going to be able to get them out, which is a huge bummer if they can't, because I mean, first of all, they're super expensive, but also like you know, we are really hoping to get the data off these instruments. That's the whole point.
Speaker 1: That's the whole right, that's the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the work, right, And so I think there was. I mean, there were definitely moments of frustration where it's like, oh my gosh, well we can't just give up, like we've got to figure out a way to get these out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's often the stuff that we don't get to. Maybe I shouldn't say we don't get to see it, you know, some people are privy to that. I think if you survey most most just people in the country, and I apologize for anybody listening if there has been a siren in the background of my recording the whole time. My hope is that my microphone is very very sensitive and only picking up my voice.
Speaker 2: But I don't know why I have not heard any sirens. Oh good.
Speaker 1: It's like I have no idea what's happening out there in LA today. But it has been NonStop since we got okay, So I'm just like, whatever, this is just it's just color, you know, it's just a little am Beyonce there for you podcast listener. But yeah, I you know, I think I think I've even read before in some surveys, like people will be asking if they could name a living scientist and it's very very hard to do or they all name the same person, and very few people can say, yeah, my neighbor, you know Laura, or my neighbor Joe, like works in a lab and you know there is a professor, and so it's probably true most people don't actually know what happens sort of like behind the curtain, not that there's a curtain, like nobody's trying to hide this from anything. They're actually going like it's so cool, right, and everybody's like, no, it's not that cool.
Speaker 2: I'm not that.
Speaker 1: But so I think that there is this lack of it's just a gap in knowledge really, because how can we hold everything we're being tasked with holding in our brains all the time, But there's a gap in our knowledge of what the actual process really looks like, you know, what does it really mean to do science? Like when people say I'm a scientist, I think that there is a lot of misconception around that. Like I remember early on, like it was like when I first started my master's degree and I was working in a neuroscience lab and we were doing these experiments, lots of different types of experiments, but we would use neuronal tissue from embryonic mice and then we would like do things with these little nerve networks that we would build from these embryonic mouse brains. And I remember having a friend who is like an animal rights activist, and that's good and fine, but they were like, well, can't you just like use a computer? And I was like, do you think I'm teaching dissection? Like do you think that that's what the science I'm doing is is the same thing as like what you see in a bioclass, where like students are learning where the organs are. And I think that there is this like huge disconnect sometimes between the doing of the science versus either the demonstrations that people are exposed to or the outcomes of the science, and so people will often talk about science as if it is the thing we know and not the way we got to that thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that's really why I wrote the book. I mean, I think there's there's this tendency to think of science as like there's still, you know, prevalent in the popular imagination, this idea of the Eureka moment. We've got this genius in the lab who has this brilliant idea. They figured it out, And I think just at a broader level. You know, for most people, the way they encounter science, you know, a lot of it might be through reading the news, where they read a news story about the results of a study. And I wrote those news stories too, right, like, that's of course you want to report on the results. But I think they're just less likely to encounter those stories of all the work that went into those results and how those you know, how we figured these things out. And I think that plays a little bit into you know, trust in science, because I think if they saw how much agony went into getting result, they would maybe be like, oh, okay, yeah, maybe they do kind of know what they're talking about if they spend the punch.
Speaker 1: Time, right, and just like the sheer like the sheer quantity of people and brain power and you know, like hands and eyes and tools, and because very often when we hear about okay, there's like, oh, a new drug just made it to market that is like the best, you know option for somebody with pancreatic cancer, and and you know, it's like leaps and bounds above the last, you know, best thing that we had. And then it's like lead author on the study so and so has this to say, and and this drug company, you know, after however much R and D was able to put it to market. But I think there's this sort of takeaway of like, and it's it's not intentional, it's just you know, we can't hold so many things in our heads. But this takeaway of like, oh, they kind of threw money at a problem, and like I don't know, five or six people like worked really hard at it, and now look at this thing we have, and it's like, you know, it's like dozens of labs contributing in their way, and like all these grad students saying I'm gonna take this tiny piece of this tiny problem, or this tiny piece of this huge problem, and I'm gonna answer this one question that is necessary for the massive downstream chain. I don't think we often give credit to how connected all science is to all other science.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, yeah, I mean I think that is. I think that is another thing I wanted to get across, is this idea of science as this huge collective enterprise, right, And that's partly why I wanted each chapter to follow you know, such different fields of science, this idea that you know, each researcher is contributing this tiny piece this tiny like you imagine that all of humans scientificnowledge is like this huge mosaic. They each got their own little tile, right, and then they're like polishing it and refining it, and they like added the mosaic. But you can, like from a distance, you'll you'll not even see it. It just kind of blurs into the whole picture. But that, you know, I wanted to have the reader to have both the sense of you know, that that vast scale, that bigger enterprise, and then the work on the ground that's happening at the human level of individual people that makes that possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I think you mentioned before like trust in science. Obviously, this is something that is incredibly concerning and relevant right now because of the people who are in inordinate positions of power and influence, who who are actively you know, working to eroad trust in science. And I often think that even as maybe science reporters or scientists ourselves, like we don't often do the nuance of the conversation service when somebody says, well, I don't I don't trust that scientist, and it's like you shouldn't trust a single scientists. But that's different, that's different than trusting science. I mean, you should trust a single scientist, like to the extent that you feel comfortable doing so, but like good you're skeptical of that one person or that one person's findings or this one study. But when we talk about science, capital s science and how like, you know, the literature tells us when we say words like that, the senectic keys for sort of like the entire body of findings based on you know, sometimes dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of individuals across multiple labs. You don't have to trust one person anymore because there's so much consensus amongst many people. And I think we sometimes speak about science in senectic key so that it's hard for the individual citizen to know the difference between what one scientist said and what the scientific body is saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes me think of a head of conversation with a researcher Joanna Huckster, who studies public understanding of science and especially like ideologically divisive science, And I think they had done a study just kind of trying to assess how much people really knew about, you know, sort of how science works at like a system level, Like do they know that there's peer review, right, like that that exists. Do they know how peer review works? Like do they understand the sort of checks and balances that are in place in science? And their conclusion was that a lot of people don't like they don't that's not something like if you think about the way we're taught science in school, we learn the scientific method, you know, question, hypothsis, you know, experiment, results, analysis, but we don't really learn about the whole sort of apparatus and structure around science, like the social structure around it. The fact that all these scientists are working as checks and balance is against each other. And that's so apparent in like the astronomy chapter, because part of the reason that it's so hard is that every time someone puts out a paper saying, hey, I think I have some pretty good evidence for an exomoon, someone else will come along and say like, nah, I don't. I don't think so yeah, And so as a realt the result there really isn't like one. There still is no consensus that yes, we have definitely found one.
Speaker 1: Which is so fascinating because it's kind of like, I think I'm taking it for granted at this point that we found a ton of them. But yeah, okay, but it's true. Sometimes there are these fundamental questions that we sort of like as a whole kind of assume are answered or are mostly answered, but really they rely. Like I think you see it a lot with like anthropology for an example, where it's like, ah, yeah, we think we have these insights about like an ancient people's but really we had like three teeth and.
Speaker 2: We're making a lot.
Speaker 1: You know, they're doing a lot of heavy lifting with these assumptions, but it's the best we have so far, and most of the experts agree that, you know, based on what we know, this is the most likely conclusion. Because that's another big thing that I think is hard for even scientists to grapple with all the time, is that, you know, most of the claims that we make in science are probabilistic claims. They're not absolute, they can't be absolute by definition. They're like, based on the evidence we have available, this is the most likely you know, outcome, and that will iterate the more we learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you know your example, what anthropology. I think it's it's true that that it becomes just even hazier and even more difficult when you're trying to look into the past, right, So, in the like in the paleontology chapter, the researchers, the main researcher is trying to figure out when warm bloodedness arose, like during our evolutionary history, which is a really key trait for for mammals and for humans. And you know, she comes up with her own tentative contribution to that debate, and then you know, shortly after she publishes, someone else, you know, publishes something else that says, well, no, it actually probably happened like X billion years, no singer, or later or whatever than she had proposed, And so I think, yeah, when you're looking into the past, it just becomes even more I don't know, provisional, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I and each individual sort of field has its own I guess, error bars, and its own parameters of like what's acceptable evidence, what's not acceptable evidence? And you know, I see this all the time as a psychologist who also worked in like laboratory neuroscience, where often you're trying to answer the same questions. But it's just really a lot easier to clone a mouse and do one thing to one clone and something different to the other clone. And say, Okay, how did it affect this animal that is genetically the exact same as this other one, And you just can't do that with people, and you're just you know, the statistics have to get a lot more creative because the ethics are different, and you know, we're observing things that are sort of more naturalistic and trying to make critiques or assumptions just based on behavior. And every single field of science has has its own parameters. And now we're living in a world and I'm wondering how much this got messy in your work for this book. But we're living in a world where we're trying not to be as siloed as we used to be, and many sciences are intentionally moving toward multidisciplinary thought. You know. I mean you said it yourself. You were doing like computer science in a genetics lab. Mm hmm, right right, I mean that must be pretty messy. Like as you're going through and you're saying, Okay, here's a physics story.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about physics.
Speaker 1: And now here's a you know, ecology store, and we're going to talk about ecology. Oh, but there's like an engineer on the team, and there's Oh okay, so this is you know, and it's situated in this one department at this one university that seems kind of out of left field. But science is too complicated nowadays to stay in one's lane, Like we just can't do science without collaborating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean one I feel like one of the most interesting collaborations was like in the climate change chapter, there were engineers, coastal engineers who were working with architects and they were trying to devise these weird they call them Emerald Tutu's. They're like these floating mats with you know, plant matter growing from the top and the bottom, and the ideas you could you know, set them floating in a harbor and they could help dampen the wave energy when when a storm comes in or when waves come in. And so, I mean that was interesting because the idea actually came from the architect right like he wanted to. He was thinking about it from sort of an urban urban systems you write, like how do we protect cities and how can we create something that's esthetically pleasing and also you know, easy to build and you know, feasible, and you could put it in the Boston harbor and so he ended up working with these engineers to you know, work out the details of this, but that yeah, they really needed to work across disciplines to make that happen. I love that.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. So I've got to ask one question that has been kind of on my mind since the beginning. You know, you're somebody who has worked in labs, You're somebody who has had quite a lot of exposure to science. But then, of course you took on a much larger endeavor, a much larger project, in preparing to write this book, and in of course writing this book, I'm curious, you know, as somebody who's pretty well versed in the sciences, I mean, working as a science reporter, a science writer, as you made lost in curiosity, did you discover anything along the way that like really was new to you, Like, oh now I get it, or like this insight into the scientific process I didn't really like it wasn't, as I guess deep until you set out to write this book.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if there was one big insight in particular, but I'm remembering there's like there were a couple of moments where yeah, I kind of shifted my perspective, so like one that I'm thinking of is in the molecular biology chapter I had followed. This is during the COVID nineteen pandemic. So I'm stuck at home and I'm just like zooming and calling all these scientists around the world who are sequencing SARS kobe two samples to try to better understand how the virus is spreading, either through their community or through their country or between countries. And I remember telling, you know, friends about this writer friends about what I was finding, and you know, people would ask things like, oh, so when they found that, then that lead to some change in policy, right, Like did that because that's you're thinking, that's the reason they're doing this, right, that they're trying to stem the tide of this of this pandemic somehow. And so I remember reaching out again to one of the scientists. This is a biologist in Wisconsin who was sequencing samples, and he had found links between I guess cases that started on the college campuses, and then it seemed like the same strains of the virus ended up in nursing homes nearby, and several of those nursing home residents died from COVID and so he was able to, you know, provide evidence for that just based on the you know, the ged genetic composition of the virus. And so I asked him if any policy had changed as a result, because prior to this, like students were having parties, right like, there was you know, there was a lot of stuff happening on campus that was sort of contributing to the spread to the community. And he said, no, I don't think any thing changed after the study. I mean, it wasn't it wasn't that the universe. He wasn't doing anything. Like. Part of what happened was that by the time his study was complete, the damage was already done, right, so and the university had already started responding, you know, trying to you know, put practice in place to stop infections. And so, I, I guess from my perspective, I found that kind of frustrating her because I was thinking, well, isn't this like don't we want don't we want this clear line from science to policy, right, Like, don't we isn't that what we're aiming for? But he really had a longer game in mind. He was you know, he said, this is going to be useful for the next pandemic, Like, if there's another pandemic, we can use this knowledge to help us respond to that, and like these technical procedures that we now have in place to sequence quickly and so on, like that's going to be helpful as well. So he was much more philosophical about it, And yeah, I think they. I think he just saw it in a much more big picture way than I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have a feeling that the grind does that to you that many young scientists probably do start out. And I think it also depends on the field. It depends on how translational the work that you're doing actually is or versus how basic it is. But like that early on in your career, there probably is this, you know, idealism, this sort of commitment to I'm gonna answer these questions and I'm gonna affect a lot of change. And ultimately I think it's all you know, all roads lead to improvement and progress and however you want to define it. But probably the longer you work as a scientist, the more you recognize that like structures are structures and systems are systems, and we are slowly but surely changing the shape of our society, but no one kind of published study is going to finally make the politicians understand that, you know, they should put more funding in this one area, or those inflection point stories. I think that most of us grow up reading. I mean, it kind of takes us back to the beginning of our conversation, the lone genius, the Eureka moment, like it's it's largely a myth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's funny how often, like the term Nobel Prize comes up when like regular people talk about scientists. I don't I don't know. I feel like there's just this impression that, oh, or they're all trying to get a Nobel Prize or something. And I'm like, no, like, hardly anyone's gonna exactly, and they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get it when they're like ninety. Anyway, it's gonna be like decades after. It's gonna be about a thing that's like hardly even relevant anymore. I mean, it is still really relevant, but like it's the foundational thing and the reason we could later do all these other cool things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I think there's there's some it does seem like scientists, for most of them, there isn't going to be some huge burst of glory at the end. I mean, of course, within their field they might be appreciated, but you know, outside that they no one might even know what they've ever done in their lifetime. But that seems to be enough for them. There's a lot of I mean, I think the other lesson that I took away is that I just thought of sciences, it's this act of humility because you're accepting that you're playing such a tiny role in this bigger enterprise. And it's also an act of hope that all of those people's work, all of the scientists work put together collectively will make a difference in the end.
Speaker 1: And I mean it really does speak to like even just the title of your book, Lost in Curiosity, I don't think that most people, if they didn't have just a fundamental hunger, a fundamental interest and like awe when it comes to understanding the natural world, most people would not The risk benefit analysis is not always in the fev of a scientist, right Like it can be a very thankless job. It can be incredibly difficult to constantly be trying to get enough funding to keep your lab afloat, to constantly fight for your job. It's very competitive sometimes to get into let's say a postdoc. Like sometimes you are literally moving across the country. You're leaving everything that you know and love, or asking them to come with you to get a position where you're underpaid, where you're overworked. And you know, if these individual scientists did not absolutely love the pursuit of knowledge and we're not fundamentally curious about answering these questions, I just can't imagine most people would be doing science. It just like it doesn't pay enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that is that's one part of the of science that I maybe didn't get into as much in the book. But I think the public also doesn't really realize. It's just the personal sacrifices that are made, like you said, like moving away from the community that you maybe are familiar with, where all your friends are starting all over again every few years. Yeah, I mean, there's there's a lot going on behind the scenes, and a lot of sacrifices behind the scenes that allow us to get those scientific results that we then see reported in the news.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and pretty much everything we know to be true. It's really because so many people stayed up late at night, so many people, you know, really dedicated themselves and pushed past, you know, some boundary, some threshold, some comfort level in order to be able to answer the tiniest little piece of that, you know, puzzle that equation, that tapestry, Like you mentioned that mosaic, right, each individual story in and of itself is I think it's not just unique and valuable and necessary, but it's it's interesting in and of itself. But then once you kind of position each story within the larger milieu, you start to see the forest for the trees and understand that it literally takes all of these people, all of these individual people at whatever level they're working right undergrads in a genetics lab, you know, tenured professors who are at that sort of nobel you know level, and literally every single person in between just staying curious and staying the course and beating their head against the wall.
Speaker 2: And their experiments.
Speaker 3: Don't work out to be able for all of us today to have the comforts that we have to have the medicines and the technologies and just the understanding of where we came from and where we're going.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like endlessly grateful for anybody who chooses to dedicate their life to science. I think it's such a as you mentioned, it's a humble pursuit. It's also very very noble pursuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think gratitude is another emotion that I came away with after reporting the book. I mean, you know, I read the news headlines about sea level rise, like glaciers melting, whatever, and like, oh, this study found this. And then you know, when you actually go to when you actually see what it takes to gather that data from a place like Greenland, and how much sacrifice and struggle goes into that, you realize, Wow, there's I mean, just to get this information, for us to bring this information and home does as a species, you know, it's it is a cause for tremendous gratitude.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, gosh, I feel like I could talk to you about this all day, but I also don't don't want to keep you or the listeners any longer. Everybody the book is Lost in Curiosity. Field Notes from Scientists' Adventures into the Unknown by ROBERTA.
Speaker 2: Quack.
Speaker 1: Roberta, thank you so much for being here with us today.
Speaker 2: This was wonderful, so much fun. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and everybody listening. Thank you for coming back week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk. Meredy