Speaker 1: Hello, one, Welcome to the episode one hundred and nineteen of the Game Spot After that podcast, I'm your host, Marrow saying, and I'm joined as always by Jean Luke Psyke.
Speaker 2: How do you do? Gamer?
Speaker 1: I want to I want you to know that, for some reason, the way my mouth works, it always wants to replace the C in your first name with the P. For somebody I want, my brain always goes John Luke, John Luki. I have to slow down when I say your full name, and it only happens when I have When I say your surname as well, I'm just saying John Luke, It's all good. But when I say PSYCHEKEI and it's like, no, this is John Loop.
Speaker 2: That's a new one. That's a new one for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also joining us is Lucy James.
Speaker 3: Hello, I was waiting much energy for a Wednesday morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep it on please, And of course, as always we have Jordan Remy.
Speaker 4: What you know. The reason we have more energy, Lucy, well, at least for John Luke and I is because we're recording this at ten am as opposed to like thirty am.
Speaker 3: I also have more energy because I fell asleep last night at ten thirty and I woke up at like eight fifteen. I don't know why so much, but it was good.
Speaker 4: Face sleep.
Speaker 3: Sleep.
Speaker 2: I did that on was it Monday? Because the internet Comcast went out in the entire Bay Area at like o'clock except for Internet. Who's laughing now, but it went. The Internet was all gone. We're like, that's ten, it's ten. What do we do. We're like, let's just go to sleep. We just go to bed, and it was great.
Speaker 4: I love that the entirety of like gaming Twitter in the Bay Area specifically was like online being like, man, maybe I should like read a book or something like this is what finally convinces us to stop playing video games and like do something.
Speaker 3: Like So my entire life is just moved in the middle of getting furniture. And on Monday, my TV unit arrived and I went to Japantown. I went for dinner, I picked up a couple of things, and I came back and I was like, Okay, it's a Monday night. I'm going to build this TV unit and sort of like settle in. And it took me a while because I also got my booster, and my booster meant that my arm was pretty dead. So I basically built it one armed and I was quite proud of it. About ten o'clock, I was hooking my consoles up and I was like, yeah, I'm gonna finally finish Guardians of the Galaxy. And I plugged it in and no shit, that's when all the Internet died, and I was like, well, I guess I'll go to bed in like just pure spite. I went to bed and I was like, I because I was going to like just hook them up, leave everything updating and stuff overnight. No, and then yeah, because it was out for a good hour.
Speaker 2: Longer, yeah, like two hours.
Speaker 1: Having sonic internet pays off. You get dogshit speeds. But when the rest of the city is done, I was. I was streaming at the time. I got like, I got like three messages from people being like, how are you still streaming? I'm like I was playing, like like the thing is.
Speaker 3: As well as like being back in the UK for six months, I didn't bother to get a new phone. I've been I've been using like my American phone, but I had I had this travel booster, but it meant that I had to be really careful with the amount of data that I used, so I turned off mobile data for like everything video. And then I got here and it was Monday night, and I was like, well, oh, I actually have mobile data in this country. That's not going to cost me like an arm and a leg. So I guess I could just watch something. But then it was just it was just on the tiny screen, and I was like, no, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna read. And then I got depressed, because that's what our life is now. It's required, it requires an depression.
Speaker 4: Damn, oh god, it's so tile.
Speaker 1: You have it. I mean, like I think, I think it's fine. Just just need to let us live. Let's let us live our online lives. That's what we're all about.
Speaker 3: I mean the worst, the worst thing for me is the fact that, like, when you think about it, really like the fact that everyone has a kindle and it's oh, I could just read something, but I have to recharge my book. Just is if you had to explain that to me when I was a kid, I'd be like that just sounds like a terrifying existence.
Speaker 4: The future sucks.
Speaker 3: Future sucks.
Speaker 1: You know what doesn't suck video games? And we have been playing hello video games. So Jean Luke, what we've been up to. It seems like you've got You've got a few games.
Speaker 2: Here, although two of them, so I've been messing around with. I played fort stuff for like an hour last night, not really that much into it. It's also my first Fortsa game, so maybe everything I'm about to say is like obvious to forts to fans. But I was just that game's just fun. That game just wants you to have a fun time. Like you load it up and immediately it's just a cut scene where your car fault like drops out of a plane and then you lay on the road, and then it's just like you're driving now and you just go and then you're like this is great. And then it's like all right, now you're driving a different car, and now you're in a sandstorm, and now you're in like a super cool race and the plane is like flying above you as you're racing super fast and you're gonna hit the finish line and you're like, oh man, this it just is like have have fun. Hey, remember when video games are about fun? Here you go, here's some here's some fun.
Speaker 3: He's just some fun.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I've always really wanted to play more Forts of Horizon because every time I have, I've just had like such a good time with it. It's always just so colorful and the music is always great and for me, who I can't drive in real life, so the like the mainline Forts series has never appealed to me, but this one is just like it just always seems like such a unabashedly just bloody fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ironically it's it's it's a lot like Mario Car for people who don't like it gives me the same energy as Meraca. It's like I don't have to I don't have to mess around with trying to try of be like simulation. I'm just gonna drive.
Speaker 4: You want like you can actually go in and tune the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we found the I'm still learning the menus, and we like found like the tuning menu and we're like, oh, we're not supposed to be here because it had like different what like mechanic settings and you can like save mechanical loadouts for individual cartoonings. And I'm like, hold on, game, this is not I shouldn't know. I shouldn't be here. I was just trying to apply a meku Vinyl to my car, let me go back.
Speaker 1: I'm just a wee.
Speaker 4: I'm not a driver.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to just drive around in anime cars because I you can do that. Post a picture of like a new car that he got and he like it's this tiny, little pink car and then he like swung the camera around and it was just Kirby and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, okay, now, I mean, yeah, I've.
Speaker 1: Like dipped in and out of like the older Horizon games. I thought the one that I would like is the one set in you know, the UK. I was like, this is very dreary. I'm okay, but.
Speaker 3: Like my secret cat for the UK is dreary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm excited to check out this new one car on.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, I mean I was just gonna say, like kind of leading into that what I've seen so far, Like I really like the setting of Mexico, Like, I mean, it looks absolutely beautiful, and like I'm still because I only played in an hour. I'm stuck in that like starter area where it's like, you know, just kind of desert. But I've like I was watching videos and I've seen all the different like biomes they offered. It just looks like there's a.
Speaker 4: A lot of variety.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, I'm I am pumped to play more, play more Horizon. Has anyone else been playing it?
Speaker 1: Oh I've been.
Speaker 4: I've been losing my shit with Horizon. I love. I didn't really like Horizon for the UK one for reasons that you just said. It was just one of those where I'm like, Horison is like super exciting and vibrant and colorful and like everyone's screaming all the time, Like that's just not what the UK was in comparison to a place like Australia or Mexico. So I'm I'm enjoying Horizon five, especially just because like they've constructed each one of their quote unquote campaigns in a way where it's like, oh, if you just want to focus on dirt racing, you can just focus on dirt racing. Do you just want to do street racing? Do you just want to do road racing? Do you just want to do cross country? And you can just like do whatever you want to do, And if you just keep doing that, you'll keep unlocking more races like that, and you'll be able to just keep doing that. So I can just ignore street races, which are my least favorite competition, just because I'm not good at drift turning at all. But it's like, you don't have to drift on dirt because dirt slows down your car and it makes turning so much easier. And I'm like, and I can just keep doing this endlessly forever and the game will just keep giving me races. I'm sure at some point I'll cap off, but until that point, I can just have the time of my life. Wish the soundtrack was a little bit better. It gets a little bit repetitive after three ish hours with the game. But your own soundtrack, yeah, Like I'm just now at the point where I'm like just listening to my own music playing the game. But I was kind of hoping that Xbox would have just like Dug Deep, and it's like, Yo, let's get a lot of Mexican artists on here to record a bunch of original music. And there is like some of that there, it's just not enough to I think support Like, if you're going to plan on playing this game for like fifteen hours, you'll hear like the same songs like each fifty times.
Speaker 3: So wait, so how are you playing your own music. You like, you've got Spotify or something going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just have a Spotify going. I heard that there is a way to have the Spotify app going in the game at the same time, if you just wanted to play the music over it. I have not investigated this, though, so do not quote me on this. This is just something that I've heard. I've just been like playing it on my own speakers while I am playing the game. But I have heard that this is something that you can do.
Speaker 3: I get because I feel like you can, at least at least on PlayStation. I remember PS four you could do that with some stuff, and so I if I made this up, I remember Xbox three sixty I would plug my iPod in and I feel like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember doing that. Oh that's cool. I might, you know, slowed dot today. I might make some playlists. That's all the energy of Patrick Bateman returning some fucking videotapes.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I'm gonna I'm gonna jump into Foes Horizon and then fire up a true crime podcast in the Shadows they Killer.
Speaker 4: Although can I also like just add and like this is a weird, weird thing for as a Horizon five if the load screens are like three three and a half seconds long, and so every time it happens, I'm like, this is way too fucking long. Why is this taking such a long time? Like, of all the games I've played on Xbox, I think Forza is like the longest that I've had load screens in the past year. But it's still like so short, but it's not so short that I'm noticing it, And I'm like, this is how spoiled past year has made me that a three and a half second load screen is like, this is way too long.
Speaker 2: Just be thankful you're not on past gen. I was watching a Digital Foundry video and like the opening of the game will like I said, when when it has the thing where you jump out of the plane into the road, it seamlessly transitions between the video of like your car falling from the plane and the gameplay. That's what happens when you play it on the current gen. When you play it on an Xbox One, there's a thirty second black screen loading time in between those like, oh, like just that that seamless thing they were trying to set up gone so better than that.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the soundtrack Buffalos and the Horizon five and this company is on.
Speaker 4: Huh, there's some good music on there. There's just like not enough to satisfy like fifteen hours with this game.
Speaker 1: See. The thing that I'm seeing is like there's a couple of songs in each radio station that I'd like, can you like bind them into like, oh, I'll just all of these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a good question that I do not know the answer to.
Speaker 2: I love when games that you should do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't seem like it. Yeah, I'm going to play that. I'm definitely gonna play that once I've unpacked my Xbox down my new apartment. Very excited. Well, el so have you been checking out?
Speaker 2: I have briefly also been playing a little bit of Call of Duty. However, I've only been playing the multiplayer because I've been playing with a friend of the show, Matt Paget. I don't really know if I have anything to say about it. It's call it's call of duty. I don't know. I feel like me and everyone else on their net is just kind of given call of duty this year a big old shrug. You know. It's there's just not it doesn't seem to be much to it. I haven't heard anyone talk about that campaign, which I still want to check out. I do.
Speaker 3: I really want to check out the campaign, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I'm curious how they handle it. But it Yeah, it's just kind of a weird one. It's world War two, but it doesn't feel world War two at all in the way, like the guns feel like everything feels very modern, which I understand why they went that route, but I think as someone who like likes, like, like, if I'm playing a World War two game, I want to play it like a World War two game. Like I got the M one Grand because I'm like, ah, yeah, like I want to hear that ping and I want to you know, like, but it's a shit weapon to use in this game, because it's just like you're just like, well, this weapon is like a single fire rifle. I'm just gonna go pick the the SMG and I'm gonna put like an AID cog scope on it because realism, and then I'm just gonna shoot everyone. And again I don't like, I don't care about the realism like that. I want to Wow. My issue isn't like, oh, they're not being realistic to the setting, like whatever, who cares but it's more that it's just like, why nothing about this feels World War two to outside of like purely the the window dressing, Like nothing about the actual gun play feels like a World War two games, So it's a few it's kind of weird. It feels more just like a modern warfare skin right now.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting that that franchise has gone from a thing that you know, it was, uh, you know, the hardcore gamers paid attention to it, and the the kind of like the normies paid attention to it because yeah, the call of duty, Andy's they're called. But like now we've reached the point where the hardcore gamers are like, you know whatever, and the normal but the normies are still all over it. So it's like, I think it's like moved beyond, like we have stopped paying attention to it at this point, and like the general gaming audience is like, yep, that's just background noise to the gaming world at this point. But like the people who like the mainstream that the last the vast majority of people who you know, the FIFA players and the they're like, oh, the there's new card out, sick and they'll play it. And though they're the kind of ones that are kind of keeping the call of the ecosystem going right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine so because also, like everything about that game, like they have just doubled down on the like progression where there's so much progression now and again, I don't think there's anything new for anyone who's played called the last couple of Call of Duties. But it's like, not only do you have like the weapon progression, but you have like individual character level progression. And then they have a battle pass and the battle pass is whack because I was like, okay, battle pass, let me look at this, and it was like all right, even pay your ten dollars and get the battle pass. Most of the things in the battle pass don't even unlock stuff in Vanguard. It was like every like five things was like a Vanguard thing, but most of it was like oh this unlocks in war Zone or this unlocks in Black Ops. So to get the most use out of the Battle Pass, you have to be the kind of person who just only plays every Call of Duty. And I'm like, who who is who does this? This is like bizarre?
Speaker 4: So I an activision Blizzard is like, what isn't everyone playing war Z out, it must.
Speaker 2: Do something, because I can't imagine Activision Blizzard wouldn't like that feels like something you you would want to try and like get as many people as possible to get the battle Pass. But for whatever reason, that's the route they go with. It must work for that audience. But I I was just so turned off by all of that stuff where I was like, I none of this is appealing to me in the slightest so and I'm can you like, can you imagine someone who just like buys the new Call of Duty this year and there's like, oh, battle Pass, I get that, and then they're like what it unlocks stuff complete game that I had to uninstall to fit room for the new one because they take up so much goddamn space, Like what like like if I want to use that battle Pass, I literally have to uninstall everything my PlayStation five and only have Call of Duty on there.
Speaker 4: So an Activision Blizzard is like, yes, yes, that is exactly only Call of Duty. That's why we're having all of our studios now working on Call of Duty.
Speaker 3: Lisa needs braces. All I have going in my that's what you're saying, Lisa needs braces that shame.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of like, I still want to go and play it. I think I'll probably check out at the end of the year when there's less stuff to do.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've heard decent things about the campaign.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that's only to check out. I'm very curious about it.
Speaker 3: If it's that's the only thing I care about in this one, because I'm The thing is is that I've every time I've played Bollzone, I've had a good time because I've been playing with my friends. But then ultimately I'm bad at it. So I have a bad time and it doesn't it doesn't give me the encouragement I guess to keep persevering, and so I just fall off and I'm like, oh, no, guys, can we go back to Overwatch? But then Overwatch hasn't had any meaningful content updates in over a year, so I guess I just need any multiple.
Speaker 4: Get that Overwatch too?
Speaker 2: In three No, I got.
Speaker 1: We haven't played Overwatch in so long. It feels really weird.
Speaker 3: It feels so so weird. Yeah, like we did. We did a bunch of Back for Blood, which was fun, but again, like Back for Blood is another one where I just feel like people have just dropped off.
Speaker 2: It's like not a game. I feel like Overwatch too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I googled Overwatch too, and you know Google has that people also ask and it gives you like questions. Yeah, the top one is is overwatched too ever coming out?
Speaker 2: I mean, it isn't that long sinthing an outside game.
Speaker 3: They're using it in Overwatch League early next year. Like yeah, so that's so they're basically going to be having it in the pros will be using it for like a year before.
Speaker 2: Anyone else does them.
Speaker 1: That's such a weird place to be where everyone's going to look thinking like, if you pay attention to the Overwatch League, you're going to get overwatched too fatigue before you've even touched it.
Speaker 3: You're going to be I mean, but the thing is as well as like over Watch League was hemorrhaging sponsors, understandably due to the Activision Blizzard stuff, and so I don't know, maybe that'll draw more people in. However, at the same time, Activision Blizzard need.
Speaker 1: To, you know, sort.
Speaker 6: Out.
Speaker 4: I also still don't understand because they announced Overwatch you and they're like, oh, don't worry, Overwatch players will be able to connect with Overwatch two players and they'll play on like the same.
Speaker 2: Match and everything transfer.
Speaker 4: But Overwatch now, I was coming out so far from when Overwatch one originally came out, and I'm like, why is this just not a clean cut? It's whatever, It's fine, Like, I'm sure they're trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Hmm, anything else.
Speaker 2: Luke, Yes, I have been devoting the vast majority of my time to Animal Crossing. It sucked me back in the two.
Speaker 3: Pull you back.
Speaker 4: In for one more adventure.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's so good. I'm I'm fully back in the So there's the the two point zero update, which came out a whole day early thanks to Nintendo Stealth dropping that on a on a Wednesday night, which was great. That that expansion just adds like or that update adds just a lot of really nice quality life stuff. They have cooking now, which is fantastic. I love nothing. If you tell me there is a cooking mechanic in your video game, I will buy it and I will play it because I like to fake cook in video games. It's highly entertaining.
Speaker 4: So much less mess than real cooking.
Speaker 2: I do wish it had because it's basically just a new slot in the recipes that you can like, you know, find. I do wish they had a like a collection tab, so I kind of knew how many there were total, because my I would my personal goals to try and find and you know, cook one of every recipe. But I have no idea how many there are. So that's we'll see if I actually end up doing that. But it's a lot of fun. So I just talked to Cali. In a few weeks, you know, she'll have it all. Oh yeah, yeah, she'll she'll have it all for me. Although right now I don't have wheat, which is like the main thing you need in almost every recipe, and I keep checking, No, I have plenty of no, no, no, I have plenty of weed and I used it to make a lovely z bass with herbs meal. It was very delicious, But no wheat. I don't have enough wheat to make flour, which I need for every goddamn recipe in that game. And every time I go to Leaf every day and I'm like, you got wheat, and he's like, nope.
Speaker 3: You go to Leaf in your list and you have got any wheat, because.
Speaker 2: Actually, no, you sell you sell leaf your weed is what you do in that game, So you're the deal You're you're the dealer.
Speaker 4: This is like not a Nintendo's thing, but I was willing to bet money when Animal Crossing New Horizons came out that like this was going to be the game that got Nintendo into live service games, and they were going to keep adding to it like over like a two to two and.
Speaker 2: A half, and it's now. I do wish they they kept updating it because this update has this update is like fantastic. That is I feel like it's breathed so much life into the game, and I'm like, but can you can you keep doing that every year? Just once a year, just keep adding some more stuff moves.
Speaker 4: They only Smash only Smash gets updates.
Speaker 2: They have added I want to say, over nine thousand new items. Granted that is accounting for color variations, so it's not actually nine thousand, it's.
Speaker 1: Over nine.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that. I forgot that existed. Sorry anyway, Yes, over nine thousand items.
Speaker 4: You've just completely derailed him.
Speaker 2: But it's really cool because they've added a lot of items that clearly they've clearly been looking at the community and what the community has been making so like I think you go to like, you know, TikTok or Instagram, and it's like people have been making their own like Japanese towns or you know, like urban kind of environments, and people use a lot of tricks to sort of like make like, oh, I'm going to make like a I'm going to use this pattern and put it on the back of this crate to make it look like a like a food crate or something. And I think Nintendo just looked at all that and said, all right, you guys just want that, We'll just give that to you. So they've added like, you know, stop signs. They've added just a ton of like the variety of like shops and stalls and different appliances, like you can get just like a crate of like fish and you can make your own little fish market if you want. Like it's so cool, like how much they've added. I'm so excited to dive in. And then as part of that is the big DLC expansion, the Happy Home Designer, which is just the most lovely time because basically you get to you get whisked off to this like archipelago of islands where know it's a job you go you're going to work. Now your villager gets to go to work, and you uh have to design vacation homes for villagers. And it's really cute. In this economy, I have vacation homes. I don't know what's going on in the Animal Crossing economy, but I'm just like, Oh, y'all just can afford vacation homes and just live on islands and just collect through all day. It sounds lovely.
Speaker 4: I love what Animal Crossing teaches kids about capitalism.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what that entire game is about.
Speaker 2: So, but the homes are a lot of fun. It's it's super relaxing. It does the it's so something that I didn't like as much about the base animal Crossing is when you really want to get like deep into designing your island or designing your house, you're limited by the items you've found, so you you can never really like do your vision that you want. You're like, oh, I have this like amazing vision for this like entertainment room I build, and then you're like, I don't have half of the items I need and it's like the effort you'd have to go in to get the items. You're like I don't care enough, and then you kind of just give up with the With the vacation homes, you are given a sort of like a theme. They'll be like, oh, I love pink, that's my theme, and then you are just given access to a massive catalog of items that are all pink. And then you can just build that and so like you don't you aren't restricted, and they, you know, add a lot of tools where you can easily apply like pathing, and you can like duplicate items, so it's really easy to just build the house exactly the way you want it and then kind of like keep layering it over time, where it's like every time you you have to you have to make sure you use specific items because they'll like it more, but you can also use other items as well, and as you go through, you keep the items you get from each older place and like just so it's like it's it's constantly expanding your catalog of items. Uh, and then eventually you do weird stuff, like some of them are are like cute and simple where it's like, oh, I want a I want my place to look like fall or I want like a winter vacation home, and then this one guy was just like, Oh, I just want I just want a good place, uh for my toilets. And and then he my my order is that.
Speaker 4: Where all the Twitter images come toilets toilets, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just this guy who's like, yeah, I just want I just want a nice cozy place for my toilets. And then you are just given a massive catalog of different toilets and bathroom items and they're like, gonuts, do whatever you want. And I'm like, okay, so I built this house of I wanted to like house of toilets. Yeah, and I use like wall dividers because I wanted to give I was like, okay, I'll kind of like separate the house into different sections. Each section is like a different style of toilet and like a different style of bathroom, and so I kind of tried to create like Okay, this one's you know, like very like homely. This one's kind of like a little bit richer. This one's a bunch of urinals. This one is just a toilet facing a window because someone's gonna be into that, so gotta have that, of course. So it's just it's just really fun and relaxing, like it it scratches that same itch that you get from like when you play the SIMS and you're like, I'm just gonna spend three hours building a house and not actually play the game afterwards. Like that's kind of the whole thing is like you're just building houses for people and you get to decorate them and it's it's a lot of fun. And then even get to eventually build facilities like on the island. So I got to build a school, I built a restaurant. I built a cafe which I themed to look like LeBlanc from Percon of five. And I would say I actually did a pretty good bang up job. I posted on Twitter if anyone's interested in what that looked like. I thought I actually did a pretty good job of that. I was pretty excited.
Speaker 4: So yeah, John Luke a designer in his off hours.
Speaker 2: It's it's really fun. If you're just looking for some good, wholesome time, I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: I'm always looking for a good whole sometimes you know that. But I've got no way to go from there.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, we really you were just lining yourself up and then yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I can't wait to see what he's gonna I was like.
Speaker 1: Scanning the list of games that people were playing, and I was like, nothing fits in I'm always looking for a good, wholesome time, John Luke, you know that. And speaking of good sometimes, Lucy, you've been playing Alan Wake.
Speaker 4: Sure, I think, no, don't give it to him.
Speaker 3: No, my life, My life right now is boring, Like I am moving. The only thing I'm excited about is, like you know, I'm buying curtains and stuff. I'm doing like grown up things. Yeah, I mean genuinely, I got excited because my couch is arriving tomorrow ahead of schedule, and I honestly couldn't be happier. However, it meant that I haven't really played many games in the last week, but on stream I've started playing Alan Wake. I did the first episode last night. I have completely forgotten everything that happens in Alan Wake. I forgot like it has a very specific twenty ten and you know, early early twenty ten's kind of and late naughties thing where every time you go to a new area, the camera will just swing to a point of interest. And so even in the remastered version, the camera just has a life of its own because it wants to show me some crazy ex guy who's about to try and come and kill me. But now I'm enjoying it. It feels, it looks nice. I'm just having a fun time playing it on stream, but I'm not really I've not really decided what the next thing I'm gonna play is. You know, it is in my quote unquote off time that I'm not on stream. I want to finish Guardians. I do have Wilder myth An inscription downloaded. But also because the only piece of furniture that I've had has been my gaming chair, I've been quite hesitant to play PC games because I'm sat in this chair all day for work, and then you know, I don't get any kind of respite from it, and my ass needs a different chair to sit on for a bit. And so yeah, so just a bit of Alan Wake. Really, I haven't. Oh, the only thing I've been watching has been Succession, which I think I mentioned like last week, but it is probably it's like, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's so so good, fully obsessed with it. Next week's episode episode It's going to be five. Just looks like the anti has been up again and again. Also, Adrian Brody is in it now, and he is someone like an actor who I love, but I haven't really seen in anything for a long time. He was amazing, So get on succession. I guess that's it. I haven't been doing a lot.
Speaker 1: Is everyone still a terrible human being in that show?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all awful. And the thing is is, like I was explaining this on stream yesterday, it's like you don't root for any of them, but you're also not rooting against any of them, if that makes sense. It's such a fine line that they've balanced because they're all such awful, you know, rich people who don't care about anyone, Like the way they talk about the big scandal that they're trying to cover up at Wastear. Roiko is just like abparrent. It's awful. The way they talk about like just other human beings, and the fact that they're all battling for control and there's all these mind games. It's very very good. I would say. I would say, like, my favorite actor in it right now is Kieran Culkin. For sure. He just plays this little little rat boy perfectly, little rat boy, absolutely perfectly. It's so good. There's like I you know what, I'm just gonna fucking say, I fucking love HBO.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 3: I love HBO. It's it's giving me no.
Speaker 2: I find out.
Speaker 3: I wish HBO get me in. Look, I I want to you know, I'm talking about the sopranos all the bloody time. Uh No, I'm just everything there was just really really good. And I'm I really want to watch White Lotus next because I've managed to keep spoiler free on that. The only thing I know is that Jennifer Coolidge is in it, and I love Jennifer Coolidge. And it was made by the guy who played Ned Sneebley in School of Rock. Oh really, yeah, yeah, well a weird good, yeah, weird thing. Also, my bakeoff minute returns. Basically, if you're not Jurgen or Joseppe, what even what you even do? I love him so much. I'm not going to.
Speaker 7: Do any spoils at all. But I think it's been it's been a really weirdly there's been such a gulf in talent between the best people and usually and kind of like not even the worst people in the ten because they all great bakers. But yeah, I feel like Jogen and Giuseppe just outpaced everyone else by such a degree that's not even really a fair fight.
Speaker 1: Here's my prediction. I think Chrystal is going to take it.
Speaker 3: Because they'll do they'll do the bullshit where they don't take previous weeks into account, and it will all be about whatever happens in that final.
Speaker 2: Which I don't think we got. Last season's awful awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited though we're coming up on the end. Not not many episodes left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's only three left.
Speaker 2: I want to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my favorite is the grumpy lover Pudlian Lizzie. It's just human, she's just like.
Speaker 1: So furness fesses.
Speaker 3: Also, I don't think I mentioned it last week, but my final bit on bake Off minute, I find myself warming lesson less. I'm thoughting about Prue. I don't think she was ever my face was, but she only she only ever says flavors are great. That's her only piece of critique. But also her mouth. It's she makes such specific mouth noises that my mesophonia gets so activated by them, and I think that's maybe why I don't like her as much. But also, did everyone see the clip of the innuendo she made and she didn't understand what she was saying, just obligate, Like what is it needs to get squirted and you need to get in jet like filled filled in both holes otherwise you're squirt or something.
Speaker 1: It was like she says she needs to fill in holes if you've gone too far. It is like, well, she's a tory in it. So she's never had a good sexual feeling in.
Speaker 3: Tamam speaking of elden Rings.
Speaker 1: That is a fantastic segue.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: So yes, I have been playing elden Ring, and yes it has made me square. Uh.
Speaker 4: Cops are still here.
Speaker 1: They're just circling. They're like, what's going on? Back and hair podcast? Crimes are being committed around around these pipes, around these parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So by now you you will likely have seen that elden Ring previews have been up. I had access to what is the closed network test in Advanced and I've put up a written preview on the number one video game website on the Internet GameSpot dot com. You can see a video version of that preview and it together by the wonderful Jean loop side Key on on YouTube dot com forward slash game Spot. It's an excellent video get really well done. Jean Luke, John Luke got intimately familiar with.
Speaker 2: Ours at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and yeah, he's he was all over it and put together just an incredible little video. So I appreciate that. And then yeah, that's that's where you can find my thoughts primarily if you want even more, like I chatted to Andy and Blessing over it. Kind of funny, so they have a games cast about it. Yeah, and it's it's really really good from what I've played. It's I everyone keeps going, this is a Breath of the World, and and and like, I understand why people would make that point of comparison. I think is completely valid. I think that it's also for me, it's like it seems like they're making Skyrim. They're trying to make their Skyrim, which it definitely feels like that it has the same kind of like sense of adventure in it that that those games do. I think the thing that is majorly different for me is I will caveat this by saying I've not played all of Breath Breath of the World. I bounced off Breath on multiple times. There's a sense of aimlessness that doesn't work for me. In that game, which is ironic because that same sense of aimlessness is present in uh, well, some of it is present in Elder Ring. It's a little more guided. It like has these things called like guidance of grace, which is like when you find certain areas, usually the sites of Grace, which is like the bonfire, they'll be like a golden trail telling you, hey, go this way, you know, and there's a very clearly of focused path to the main quest. But it doesn't gamify the open world where it's like Sidequest side Quest, side Quest main Quest main Quest. Main Quest is just very emergent and very natural, like you're walking around and you might speak to someone who's like, hey, I used to be in this cave and then some bad shit happened there and now I can't get back into that cave and they've ostracized me. Were this sucks man? And then at that point the game doesn't be like side Quest Activated, go to the cave and figure out what the delio is with this dude. There's been outcast.
Speaker 4: It's just like that's it.
Speaker 1: And then you could be like, oh, I'm going to go find that cave and see what the deal is with it, and that's how because of that, I feel like I'm enjoying it way more. It doesn't feel like I'm being forced to do things. I'm just kind of like experiencing it in the same way that Bromsoft's games are right, like very natural, very not pushy, and rewarding your curiosity and rewarding your your kind of like initiative, and I love that feeling behind it. It doesn't have that that kind of like the other thing is like, I know I'm gonna upset a lot of fans of Breath the World is a lot of the stuff that you do in the open world are the shrines, And after like two of two or three other shrines, I was like, Okay, so is this.
Speaker 2: Two or three?
Speaker 4: There's like two hundred in that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, but like I know I did more. I did more than that, But after like two or three, I was like wondering, Oh, are these shrines? Just is this is this the bulk of the game, which kind of is like, I know, that's like being reductive to.
Speaker 4: That people wanted actual dungeons in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like and that's the thing that I've got more confidence in for for Eldon Ring, it's like it has that open world where it's very free form, and but it also has those classically Dark Souls Demon Souls areas where it's like, oh, you've just walked into like a Dark Soul's ass area and it's a big old dungeon you're walking through like storm Wind Castle, and like there's a chunk of it there and it feels like I'm playing an old Dark Souls game. And then but after that, I'm like out in an open world where there's smaller dungeons and they're not like it's based on the few that I found. It's not like they have a certain group of assets that are like side dungeon assets and let's reuse these over and over again in the same way that like even the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, where where it's like you start to get tiresome over like after a few Chalice dungeons, where you're like, oh, this is they've got a palette set and a kind of like set of assets that they shuffle around and that's how they're finding variety. It didn't feel like that, like some of it was just very natural cave. Some of it was very short, like you've killed an enemy, go down into this area, open the door, open the chest, get out. But I think there's going to be a little more variety in the open world, which is something it has over Zelda and is closer to Skyrim, I think, where like, you know, a lot of the caves in Skyrim, they did feel similar, but they it wasn't overwhelming. You went in there being like, this feels just like that last cave that I was in. They kind of at least furnish it and dress it up so it looks a bit more unique. And that's what that's the vibe I'm getting out of it. And because of that, it feels a little closer to Skyrim than to Zelder for me. I guess the Zelda part of it is it is that kind of like you can jump around, you can't climb, thank god, I don't want stamina management on literally everything, and and and like it feels like that kind of world where it's like, yeah, poke around in the corner, like follow your follow your what piques your interest. And there were a bunch of things that yeah, poke around, find out and like that. That was a lot of what I did. I didn't like. I spent a lot of time just walking around, and there were mysteries that I found, Like there was this beach where there was like glyphs appearing on the floor and I couldn't figure out what was going on there. And I found like, you know, references to to the narrative stuff where it's like, you know, we worshiped this. I found a church which was like clearly some sort of dragon church that had been destroyed, and like all the statues had fallen over, but there was one statue, one big statue that had been toppled over in the middle, but like the dragon still had a flame in its mouth that was like burning. And I was like, what is this all about? And how do I make something happen with it? And I couldn't figure it out. And now I'm like, huh, on my in my map, I now have to mark that as we're dragon churches here, remember to come back to this and once you have a little more contact, or someone mentions I used to be an acolyte of the dragon church or something like that. So it's like a lot of mysteries that are there, but in that from software way where it's like we're just going to drop half of this half of the information you need here and then put the other half somewhere in this world and hopefully you make the connection when the time is right, instead of being like remember the Dragon Church in like the you know ui. Yeah, and it's in all other respects like for better for worse. It feels like an evolution of Dark Souls, like combat Wise and various other things, and it like it doesn't feel like it's making a massive kind of line in the sand in the same way that Bloodborne and Securo did where it's like we're going to pivot into a side side kind of like thing style of gaming that's completely different. It feels like Souls. It feels like Dark Souls. It's got a few more mechanics, which is like the guard break and you can jump attack now to crush things. But yeah, it's otherwise, it feels like that kind of game. I guess. Yeah, ask me some questions if you want to know you want to know more about it. I've been talking about it NonStop so for a lot of few days, so I don't know what's like relevant at this point. But yeah, I'm excited to play it, is what I'm saying. Like, I'm excited it feels like it's gonna be familiar, but not familiar enough to be like, oh, yep, this is just that game again.
Speaker 4: I say, everything you said sounds really cool, Like I don't want to speak for like every Zelda fan, but I know for me specifically, I was like, Oh, it wasn't so much that I loved Breath of the Wild specifically, it was more so I'm like, oh, I really like what they've done here, and I can't wait to see what other developers take with these concepts and ideas and evolve on it. And so All the Ring seems like it's taking some of those concepts and involving on it. You said it maybe is a bit more skyrimy, but like, I'm thrilled, I'm excited to try this.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I was gonna feel like it feels more welcoming as well, because because you're not being funneled down a path in a lot of these areas, like the Dog Seals games are open, all of their games are open to a degree, but fundamentally you are being funneled down a path once you leave Filing Shrine or Madula or The Hunters Dream Dilapidaite Temple. You're being pushed into a path. You know, there's only really one way through Sens Fortress, there's only one way through black Town. And because of that, they control the difficulty a lot more like you. They're able to orchestrate that difficulty a lot more because that is the challenge, and that's it. In an open world, you're not really able to push the player into a certain direction up until they reach a point where you have that curated experience like storm Vale Castle. So because of that, in the open world, you often encounter I often encountered fights that were like trivial, like one enemy one's one or two attacks and then I moved on. But like, that's really good for building confidence, and I feel like for people who might have struggled with previous from stuff games, this might be one that really helps them because it's easy to like that there's there's some really low stakes encounters, and when you die, you don't just like, uh, spawn and have to do that stuff over and over again. You can choose to be like, all right, I know that I'm not doing too good in that direction. I can just go the other way. It's not like beating up your head against the wall. And then they also have like a new system where it's like you can respawn out of sight of Grace, which is basically like the bonfire. But they also have these things called the Stakes of America, which is like a checkpoint before before a main or checkpoint before like a notable encounter. So if you can't come across like an encampment, there chances are there's the Stakes of America nearby, so that if you die in that encampment, instead of kicking you all the way back to the site of grace the bonfire you just saw outside of that encampment, which is like a concession made to open world design, that is going to make it better for a lot of people who aren't as accustomed to that grind to get back to where you started so that you can try again. So I feel like this is going to be one of those games where a lot of people will be able to have some fun just you know, getting cut in the teeth in the open wall and then build up the confidence to go back into the into the more dark souls. Sty will look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe like alleviate some of that frustration just because you don't have to like you'll hit a point in a Soul's game where you get stuck on a boss and it's like, well, I don't have anything else to do. I have to go through and fight this boss. Like this game, you could be like, all right, I'm gonna go leave and do a bunch of stuff in the open world and maybe boost up my character or at least just like get a breather and like do something else for a little bit, and or you know, try to find something and then you can come back to that challenge later. I yeah, I think that dynamic could kind of, like uh yeah, alleviate a lot of frustration on some players.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, in terms of the difficulty, like as you were exploring, did it feel like, oh, like just the further out I go in any direction, like everything's kind of growing equally in strength, or there like some ways where it's like, oh, if I go specifically this way, the enemies are a lot harder than if I decided to go this way.
Speaker 1: No, there were points where I was like walking and I'd stumble across an enemy which was clearly like very powerful. My only option was like to back out and come back later when I had a little more levels accrued and I had some more like skill points invested. But they also do this thing where they create enemy mobs, so you're not always just finding like single enemies were wandering around or single very powerful enemies. You have like this mid tier which is enemy mobs, and like some of them are like three or four enemies. Like you get these vampire bat like creatures, which are like anthropomorphic bats, and they're often just hanging around on rocks and when they see you, they'll just start attacking. And there's usually about three and they're pretty easy to beat. Like, but what happens is you just need to kind of manage your stamina a bit more and also have some awareness of your surroundings because they are flying enemies, so one could get behind you and like try and get in while you're fighting another one. Say, it does require some strategy, but the interesting thing or the cool thing they do is like you go into that fight, you fight them. Once you've killed let's say this four of them, once you've killed that fourth one, it rewards you for defeating a mob by replenishing your your ESTES flask and your or your HP and FP flask, and it's like good job you took on this mob and you want and now you have like the ability to carry on going instead of being like, well, I got a run back to to the Sight of Grace to replenish all my stuff now, and they.
Speaker 4: Also have a lot of wonder like well improvement over Dark Souls three just randomly kidding an Estes Flask. Yeah, some enemies.
Speaker 1: They also have these enemies which are kind of like the crystal lizards in previous games, but instead of giving you like a material, they're just like these ball like enemies. They're just like wandering around and if you kill them, some of them are ready orange, some of them are blue, So if you kill them, they will just replenish your your your resources as well. If you just they just run away in the same way that crystal lizard does, so you might spot one and be like, oh, I need to quickly chase that down and kill it, so that happens, and then some enemy mobs are even harder, where it's like the soldier mobs can be tricky because there's usually like I found, you find like three or four of them together, and then one of them usually has the horn which they blow and it brings in like seven other people and you're like, oh shit, that went from like above fight against three people versus now there's eight of them after me and I need to run away. So there's still that kind of like unexpected turn the corner and stuff is real hard over here, but you have the freedom to like run away and jump on your like spectral Steed or whatever it's called. It's called Torrent and which you saw someone using the item and it'll just pop up and then you can run away and it double jumps and it's got like a boost, so you can very quickly break agro range and just get around like that.
Speaker 4: God bless from Software, Like I saw in like the comments for like the impressions that you put up, one person being like, oh, if the combats so much like Dark Souls, why didn't from Software just call this Dark Souls four? And I'm like, and you could have made the argument that like Bloodborne, Securo and elden Ring, like they're close enough to like Souls in a way that they could have taken the Call of Duty Assassin's Creed forma and just been like, oh, yeah, they're just all in the same franchise. But you got to like respected developer that's like, yeah, it's similar ideas, but we're just moving This is like brand new. We're like cutting it off and trying something else. And I wish so many other devs would do it. From software is like and just yeah, it's similar ideas, it's kind of like a quasi sequel, but it's it's brand new. We're going in a different direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like it gives them narrative freedom, right, like that whole the stuff out they're leaning towards with the kind of like Ellin Ring being shattered and the Earth Tree, and there's still like allusions to like the the different factions and the lords that have been corrupted, and there's so much more like texture to the world that they've already created. Like this this is again the old the older games are you you experience the core of the story, right like you experience a location from the inside, and then you you get allusions to what has happened before and the world around you ultimately or like stuck in this one city or this one kingdom or this one area. This is the other way around where you're they've not they've filled out the entire kind of like pie if you get what I mean like they've colored it all in. You're starting from the outside and then coming in and you're not wondering about, oh, I'm in, you know, Bolletaria, but the stuff beyond Bolletaria that I'm not aware of or I'm not sure what's going on. It's the other way around, where it's like you are in the lands between, which is the overworld, the entire world, and then within that you will find kingdoms and locations that are like placed within it, and then so you get a more you get a richer kind of like grasp of the world. And I don't think I think that they wanted to do that, and they wanted to take a to come at it with an entirely new kind of like world for them to build instead of leaning on the kind of Dark Souls world, because by the end of Dark Souls three there were some kind of like indications that you know, the three games are connected, and you know the place are built on top of each other, and the tiny Winminess is in play and that kind of stuff. But like giving them they wanted like this is a smart decision because they can create that break and they can make something new and show that they have the storytelling and characterization chops to build a whole world instead of the pieces of one.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, I'm very poritary.
Speaker 3: Review next year, hopefully they give you more than just like, how what was the thing for Sakra? It was like five days or something.
Speaker 1: Less than that. I think, yeah, maybe like five just not enough time enough. I mean Demons was one day? Two days?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, God bless you for having already beaten Demons enough.
Speaker 1: That would have been impossible to review that quickly. But damn I got lucky. But yeah, Jordan, before we move on, is there anything that you wanted else? Because you've been playing World also, I've been. I've been. I'd got my booster jab go out there, get vaccinated, welcome to open boosters. And it is like I've got an absolutely pathetic immune system, and like I've been like sick for the last few days because of it. And yesterday I was just laying in bed, unable to sleep, and I was like what do I do. I'm like, I can't, I'm incapable of moving. I'm just gonna be sitting here staring at the ceiling for like nine hours now. So what I did is I pulled out my I forgot that. I bought a little stand for my iPad and like I it is like a proper lazy person stand where you just like mount it, and like I put it on the table next to me and I was in bed and like the screen was just hovering in front of my face.
Speaker 6: He sent me a picture of this, and honestly, it was like like like your robot, like your robot on wheels, where someone's face is supposed to be and it instead it was you watching I come on what you were watching a twitch or something.
Speaker 1: But I was like, kind of what, it's really good I start. Originally I got it so I could like sit on a couch and have that. Iyp had it from me, But I started watching a Gintama, which is a show that I've seen a lot of in pieces, and I was like, you know what, I'm going to start watching Gintama from the beginning. Gintama is an amazing like a comedy anime series which like it takes place in a futuristic Japan, a time when aliens have invaded and Samurais have been basically outlawed, and the main main character, Gintoki is like this layser about good for nothing samurai who just takes on odd jobs and just does ship around around like the city, but always gets himself into trouble. And it's a very self aware. It knows it's an anime and constantly references the fact that it's an anime. So they like make jokes about, you know, fight sequences being far too long because they to fill twenty three episode and stuff like that. It's like really really stupid and self referential and also referential of other anime. It's been going for years and years and years, and it's like always held up to be like one of the funniest shows in like anime history. So I was like, I've always watched pieces of it, and my younger brother is a huge fan of it. So I was like, I'm going to watch this. This has got one trillion episodes for me to watch. I'll never get mad at this. So I started watching that and it's fantastic. I've been loving it. Good show anyway. Yeah, Jordan Wilder Myth and Arcane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd say I'll start with Arcane. Speaking of things that we've been watching, So Netflix is now four for four on animated shows based on video games that I have never played that, I'm like, oh, this show is really good. It doesn't make me I actually want to go out and play the.
Speaker 1: Game before but really yea before Cava Dragons Dogma, I liked it.
Speaker 8: Oh interesting, interesting, I played. I watched that, and I was like, Okay.
Speaker 3: So Arcane, Dragon's Dogma Castlevania.
Speaker 4: In San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a show of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how is Acane good?
Speaker 4: Arcane's really good or good for someone who has like not touched League of Legends in like any real way other than the fact that like I can look at this show and be like, oh, that's Vie, Oh that's Jinx, Like oh, I know who these people are going to be, but I I can't tell you, like really anything about them. I can't tell you what type of characters they are. But it's it's a really good story, well paced, well animated. The action is really really good. Yeah, like it's it's just definitely something. It's three episodes now, and then there's another three on the twelve, I think, and then another arc at some other point. But yeah, they're like releasing it in chunks I think, so that they can do that whole Like, oh, the show can keep showing up and your recommended Q repeatedly because they're adding new episodes, but there's like enough each time that you could binge because each episode's forty to forty five minutes long, so it's like two hour. Yeah, it's like a two hour like experience. I watched the first three episodes last night. I'm like, oh, okay, I like this. This is good. I am ready to watch the next three episodes whenever they come out.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah, I'm kind of intrue it and like, similar to you, I don't really have I remember playing some league. I do names like Jinks. I know Seraphine, the weird vtubeer ish virtual influencer one they had, but I've never felt any call to it. But I've seen so many tweets and stuff about the fact that Arcane is genuinely good. Like I'm tempted. I'm tempted.
Speaker 1: Tempted. Yeah, I think I'm gonna watch it. I've heard a lot of good about it, so I think I want to check it out. Why not? You know, why not? Why not? And then you've got wilder Myth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been playing Wildermeth at the behest of what feels like half the staff at Polygon and half the staff at fanbyte dot com who have just been like talking about this game seemingly all year. It's like, just if you like D and D, like this is just kind of like playing D and D by yourself, where you're the entire uh and you're recruiting new members and you're building them out and like they forge relationships with each other and they evolve over time. You're making different choices, you're making skill checks, you're failing skill checks. Characters can die and their legacy is remembered by future generations. Some characters that they fall in love, they can have kids. There's also queer romances as well, if you want to make your character gay, lesbian, or pan sexual. And yeah, like I'm enjoying it. I've only spent I don't know, threeish hours in the first campaign. There's multiple campaigns from the start, and you can only pick the first one from the beginning because they use it as like a teaching tool. But I think there's like six or seven different campaigns of various lengths and difficulties. There's a multiplayer component if you do actually want to play the game with other people and you're like dungeons and Dragons. Isn't that fun alone? I would like to play this with other human beings. But yeah, Like, I can definitely see why so many people are like this is my game of the year for twenty twenty one. I'm not saying that, but it's something I'm like, I could see like after playing like a few more hours of this, this like sneaking into my top ten, Like at the end of the year. I think Forgotten City is still holding the locking down the number one spot for me, but I'm enjoying my time with Wildermith.
Speaker 3: Nice. Yeah, it's on my list too. I really want to play it.
Speaker 1: Nice. All Right, that was a lot of chat about the stuff that we've done, So let's kick out games to listen to questions. If you would like to send us a listener question, you can email us the Dark Podcast at GameSpot dot com or join our discord DM me or Lucy and we will do our best to get you access to the discord. Might be slightly behind currently because of all the moving stuff and etcetera, etcetera, so but I will get to you eventually, trust us. First question comes from Kevin from West Half is at West Harford.
Speaker 3: That's heart for Virginia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, it just says Kevin from wh So I think I.
Speaker 2: Think Connecticut West Hart for Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's fine, you're from the UK.
Speaker 1: Please come on, Kevin says, Hey, Lucy James and GameSpot's other claims to fames. Wow, the newest estimates say the click the chip shortage will be over first half of twenty twenty three. With that in mind, do you think the average consumer should just wait until whatever half step console gets announced? But do you think that consoles will still be hard to get? One supply improves. The parallels between consoles and the long terrible sneaker scene have me a bit worried. What do you reckon? Folks?
Speaker 2: I imagine if they were planning any sort of half stuff console, that in itself would probably get delayed because there's just so many people like I just imagine everything's been shifted by a couple of years, right, Because it's like, I doubt buy twenty twenty three. These consoles are going to feel old. I feel like they will just finally start to feel like they're being fully taken advantage of because so many developers are like just kidding. Our game also works on PlayStation four an Xbox One. Please still you can still buy it, because like you don't want to like sell it next Gen only or current Gen only exclusive when so many people still don't have one. I feel like that would be a death sentence.
Speaker 3: I mean, when did the Xbox one X come out?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of, like when came out seven.
Speaker 4: Because it's usually three to four years. Yeah, after it comes out, like we just got the O lead, I mean we got the.
Speaker 2: Other one was twenty fourteen, and I think X was twenty six, twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Twenty it was twenty seventeen, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Three years so I mean yeah, I guess like twenty twenty three would be around the time they would do it.
Speaker 4: If they did do it, that's when they would announce it.
Speaker 2: But I bet they will not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one S was twenty sixteen, and then the one NEX was twenty seventeen, and the SAD the Sad console was twenty nineteen. I also favorite name.
Speaker 2: I also don't think these just in general, even without the chip shortage, I don't think these systems quite need the half step to happen as soon as as like the other ones did like those other ones like started to kind of age out very rapidly. I feel like these consoles are a little more future proofs with sort of you know, like bexter horse power in the you know, fast SSD, Like it's not gonna I don't think we're gonna have quite the situation we had last gen, where like by the end these consoles are going to be struggling to run these games at least I hope not, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 4: You even argue that Xbox launched with its half step, like the serious S was the new one and the x was like, here's the stronger version of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that is on the money, like they they are figuring out ways to make less powerful hardware run more taxing games instead of the other way around. Like so, I think if you buy a current gen console, the ones that are available, you should be set for the entirety of this generation. I'd be very surprised if they were like, oh, no, we've got a new version of console, the old ones kind of obsolete. That doesn't seem like that's it's in the plans for anyone. So you should definitely.
Speaker 2: Don't think they have a big hook as much because the whole thing with the Pro and the X was like, ah, I can do four K, and like these consoles can tech like the PFI can technically do a K, although not like really but even then, like AK is like such a far off pipe dream, like to become like a consumer reality. Also like you don't need it. You do not need AK, Like I'm gonna tell you right now, like four K is like the limit, Like you like four K is the limit. I want to say, there's been a study about how like past six k most human eyes can't even tell the difference anyway, So like, you do not need AK. AK is like insane. You don't need games to run at eight K. That's insane. Games don't even need to run at four k. Really, they run checkerboarded and they look great. You don't need it. It's fine, everyone relaxed and relax you're the higher resolution.
Speaker 1: Next question comes from rocket Scientists who says a lot of creatures of the night. I have three maybe four things I watch when I'm in a funk or having the worst day. What are your bad day? Vibe killer escapes? Good question.
Speaker 4: I like to go for a walk, I say, I feel like this has changed over COVID times because there were a lot of things that I used to do that I just don't do anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think going for a walk is the one that I try and do as much as possible. Or let's just go go outside, catch some rays, touch some grass, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, touch grace, Yeah, touch grace.
Speaker 1: I like we have a Sean Luck and I live in the same building. We have that area outside, which is like the the common courtyard area that I usually will if I need to all go outside and pace around there for a bit and then not anymore. Now we'll be we'll be moving. Sadly I missed that. Yeah, but I'm going to miss that area. It's very useful for me. Like I spent a lot of time, especially before going back to the UK, Like was I was in there a lot, just walking around trying to get expent. Every night. I'd go there every night at the very least and just walk up and down for about forty five minutes. And Yeah, in my new apartment, I won't have that because I will be just on the streets of San Francisco where wild shit is happening constantly. But yeah, other than that, like there's certain like music that I will listen to. I like to listen to a lot of anime soundtracks to like help me get in there and the kind of like get out of the space that I'm in to be somewhere more like uplifting and empowering, I guess. And then if I want to like just exit the world entirely, I'll like chuck on a game like blood Borne or something like that that I know well enough, but also yeah, feels like home.
Speaker 4: I will usually put on a video game that I'm like good enough at that it makes me feel much better at myself. Like if I'm just dominating at Apex, I'm like I'm better than all these people and it makes me feel a lot better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just stick on Lord of the Rings if I'm like in a full funk, because it's just like a film that I can or at least whichever one I watch, it's like I can dip in and be engaged with if I want to. But if I just need to zone out and go to sleep or something, I could just I Also, I also like rkgs. They play through some stuff. They're very very chill. I'm watching the Resident Evil eight one at the moment, which is very very fun and like entertaining, but also just something to get lost in a little bit, and thever and their fun lads, so definitely get out of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been watching a lot of twitch teams are good for that. I've been watching a lot of Next Lander. I really like their full motion Vinie series where Vinnie just plays fm V games. It's my favorite things that he did when the Red Giant bomb, so I'm really glad they're just still doing that. I also like watching the tubers. I'll just put on some some Corone and just listen to her play Mario Party or something.
Speaker 1: I'm Team Miko always.
Speaker 2: Good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twitch streams have been massive. Like I've rarely gotten into twitcham. I think I also kind of coincides with actually starting to stream myself. I've been like, I've always watched twys streams, but now I'm like I usually will have some sort of twitch stream on in the background. Usually it usually it's a Hassan paiker, but like I also have I mean, yesterday I was watching three streams at once, so.
Speaker 3: What Well, to be fair, I appreciate you, like.
Speaker 1: Everyone decried to stream at the exact same time, so I was like, okay, okay, but yeah, those those helped me escape, you know, into the lives of others for a little while. You go with me, not their specific lives or whatever they're doing, you know, in their in their moment. Yeah, how about you, Jordan? Oh anything else say?
Speaker 4: I think the only other thing and it kind of like goes with your whole Twitch streaming thing. It's like I'll watch like episodes of Dimension twenty that I haven't that I've already seen, and I'm like just watching them over again because I'm like, I was just always really fun to watch people play D and D and make really silly decisions and choices and laugh at their misfortune. I think, Yeah, that's like the common theme for how I feel better is like putting others around me. If I'm like, no matter how low I am, if other people are lower, then I'm still pretty high.
Speaker 1: Lovely. It's a very healthy way to live. Final question comes from Skywitch, who says, Hey, everyone, I'm sure this is an as at some point, but what are your favorite game soundtracks for work? I like to have Fallout, Elis Bros. Online or Assassin's create soundtracks on in the back, so the bug is also awesome to drive to dragon As Inquisition. It's just epic. So what stands out for you?
Speaker 2: So many, so many many. I pretty much was only exclusively listening to video game soundtracks, like a fucking loser. I mean I, I literally in high school would put on the Persona three and four soundtrack and I would change it to fit what was happening. So I would be like, I'm walking a class, time to put on the walking to Class music from Persona four. Oh, I'm mentoring my dorm room to switch over to time it in my pocket like I would know. Yeah, such a loser. Holy shit, I'm just I'm just looking.
Speaker 3: I'm looking. I'm looking. I have a big playlist that I follow that is called I think it's called like it's all caps, just all games, all day three. Oh god, it's good.
Speaker 2: Things to just sort of like relax and decompressed to. I love listening to like nighttime ambient music in video games, so like Skyrim, Oblivion, like Breath of the Wild, like those soundtracks you just put them on, especially when somebody does a mix where they add rain sound effects on top of the music and you're like, ooh, it's like so it'll be You'll be like a rainy day beneath the mask ten hour loop and you're like, all right, time to just sit here in the dark and listen to this. Relax, just relax.
Speaker 3: So one thing I'll say is like, in terms of actual soundtracks, I listened to Mass Effect Trilogy all the time, Red Dead one and two. However, I want to give a shout out to Lo Fi Lea on Spotify, who does low fi remixes of a lot of songs and there's a lot of animal crossing Zelda Persona in there, and they are very very good. And if you put like a rainy mood on in.
Speaker 7: The background, maybe even a crackling fireplace YouTube video.
Speaker 3: As well, they go together very very well. But in terms of like I also I also have a big playlist called GTA Nice City, which is a kind of mashup of the Vice City soundtrack with Guardians of the Galaxy Volume one and two, and so it's just this It's basically an eighties mega mash but I call it Nice City and it's a very good playlist. I'm happy to share if people want it to sounds excellent.
Speaker 4: I'd say holl of Night and Assassin's Creed are my big ones. Some over the past few months, I've done Life Is Strange True Colors a few times, just because that soundtrack is awesome. If I'm just don't know what I'm in.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know because the stream and get any music in it.
Speaker 2: It's good music.
Speaker 4: Just trust me on this. It's an excellent soundtrack. But if I just like have no idea what type of mood I'm in and I'm just going like buck Wild, I'll do the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So it's just like a mixture of a bunch of different franchises just mixed together.
Speaker 1: That's a great show. I usually do. I listen to a lot of fine games soundtracks, so like Marvel Versus Capcom CAPCOMs and K two, Street Fire three, like Street Fire four, three five, And then like I just do the souls Borne soundtracks a lot as well, and the Witchers soundtracks which.
Speaker 3: Is which is a good shot, wh which is.
Speaker 1: Three has got a great soundtrack. But yeah, and then like I will dip into like those those like low fi versions like Lucy sends me a bunch of them. As well. So I do listen to File a lot and yeah, just general like rain sounds as well on their own, Like I listened to that, That's that's really good. The app, I think Headspace has has a lot of options for that where you can just select a different ambiance and.
Speaker 3: Wait, we get we get calm through work as well. Yeah, calm and Calm is also the only thing I like about Calm is the or the thing that I like it about it is the they get celebrities in to read sleep stories. I have never managed to make it through the Laura Dern one because it just I don't know what it is about Laura Dern, but she just sends me to sleep. But I want that to have Like I noticed that I rely on having to listen to something to go to sleep quite a lot, and I would love to be able to train myself to not do that because it feels like I've listened to audiobooks and whatever to sleep since I was a kid, like since I had the original Harry Potters on cassette tape and Lord of the Rings as well, and so I don't know, I need to scale back from that.
Speaker 1: I think h I have been enjoying a lot of audio books as well.
Speaker 3: So I got Dune. I did get Dune because I loved the film so much and I've tried to read the book before, but it's it's quite hefty for someone with a very terrible attention span like me. But the Sandman one is great on Audible and the Dune one is apparently like a full cast as well, so I was like, yeah, this could be it.
Speaker 4: How that thing is exactly.
Speaker 3: And I also did the thing where I signed up for Audible for one month, used my token to bye tune, and then canceled it. So mark game the system baby.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for watching and listening listening to the GameSpot After Dark podcast. You can find us all on Twitter. I'm at more h Lucy.
Speaker 3: Lucy, James Games.
Speaker 1: Jean Luke, joh Speke, and Jordan J. M Remy Lovely. Remember you can email your questions after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com. I'll chuck them in the discord and we will see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: In the song