Speaker 1: I'll go to quick quick question. I want to hear your thoughts on to know what's on your mind. I'm got a quick quick question for you. The answer is not recording, and I'm just by the week and talk tonight. So what's your favorite you again? What d you love? You see? Best friends? And comedy?
Speaker 2: If there's an answer that I'm gonna find it, I think you'll have a great time.
Speaker 1: I think you have a great time.
Speaker 3: You We're back.
Speaker 2: It's the podcast. We wanted to jump right into it this week. Sore in huge news. I think you can already tell got a new hat. Dad's got a new hat. Really happy with this hat. It's uh, it fits my head better than a lot of other hats. It's comfortable. I could do a frontwards or backwards. I think I could.
Speaker 3: I could do sports in it.
Speaker 2: I could run in it, But but I want to keep it nice, so I'm probably let's.
Speaker 4: Take it for a spin. Can you put it on backwards for a second without doing too much damage to your headphones? So yeah, let me just see. Yeah, Okay, that's a solid hat, so really good ventilation. How's your it?
Speaker 3: Really does it? It's great?
Speaker 4: Is it a golf hat.
Speaker 2: I don't know it's a it's under armour, and I feel like, having done no research into this, I think under armour is like a pretty cop coated brand.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's I don't think that's true. It's not.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, Nah, you're okay. I think maybe it's possible that cops are wearing that like neoprene, but it's I think it's like it is, it's all athlete coded. I think, I think I remember is finally athlete coded.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while, I've come across something that that I've learned was owned by a subculture of some kind, and I don't I don't know how pervasive is it it is, or if it's if it's truly just the internet and like the Internet people that I hang out with where like you find it like, oh, New Balance is the preferred shoe of white supremacists, and I was like, ah, but but I like some of their shoes. And I I showed up to a work thing with with a pair of salmon shorts because it was summer, and my coworker started joking about, like, oh, those are the shorts that like you see someone of those shorts that those are the shorts of the person who says trust the market, the market will correct itself. What thatff, I just liked them.
Speaker 4: Pretty fern, pretty solid burn. This has happened my friend ed friend of the show at Wilson. He ordered a hat, a skate hat from a company that was similar Lids of Jason I guess, and they sent him the wrong hat. They sent him a hat that just said on it, happy Dad. And he was like, I'm a dad. That's perfect, And then he started wearing it because he was like the out to wear this instead, like I don't want to deal with the hassle and out in the streets people will be like fuck yeah, happy Dad, and he was like I am and he was like he was getting a lot of attention and he was really excited about that. He did not know at the time that that's happy Dad. Hard Seltzer, which if you're not familiar, uh some some serious magatize They are aligned, Yeah, maga aligned Hard Seltzer company that is I think the co founder, one of the founders was like a prank started as a prank channel. He was like this controversial prank channel guy and then uh boy, yeah, a pipeline and then they because I think he got a lot of pushback from that. Obviously, people who anyone who gets public pushback falls into the right, because that the right is like, we'll take anyone. Hey, as everyone is the woke mob getting you come to us, let's get rid of all that. Now you think, go, yeah, we should get It's not my fault, it's their fault. And so then and then heart Seltzer was the uh, I guess the the end goal of all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I wonder how uh, almost without exception the the Jackass Crew, sort of the platonic ideal of whimsical pranksters, haven't fallen into that.
Speaker 3: That hard right uh ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as far as I know, I'm I'm almost positive. Really no, I don't think so, but I but I like them, sore in, but I like them. I invented a premise and I'd like it to be true.
Speaker 4: The other thing that I that happened to me with that is the to me myself was I owned a Fred Perry sweater. And if are you familiar with the brand Fred Perry at all?
Speaker 3: I am not?
Speaker 4: Okay, are you familiar with a black polo shirt that has gold piping along the collar of it and has a little gold pipe, a little gold brand in the corner. Have you seen that on maybe some boys singing proud of you, proud of my boy.
Speaker 3: No, I have not.
Speaker 4: It's probably I probably all wear the exact same thing. They have a uniform, it's a Fred Perry shirt. I bought a Fred Perry sweatshirt, I mean a sweater, not knowing any of this at the time. It was a it's brown and think that the emblem's blue. But boy, that did not matter. As soon as did anyone sell that emblem, they were.
Speaker 3: Like what the fuck?
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, oh no, no, no, no, no no, And then I just basically stopped wearing it and then started to kind of feel bad for Fred Perry. Sure, I don't think they asked for that.
Speaker 3: I often.
Speaker 2: Very at a at a great distance, will will feel bad for some uh MAGA aligned folks because for for us, like I would feel self conscious wearing new balanced shoes or uh you feel even a tiny bit self conscious wearing like flag iconography now because that like they're the patriotism to Mega pipeline is is is too fraught at this moment that I don't want to wear like an American flag on my hat because.
Speaker 4: New balance, New balance is that true? New balance has new balances like the shoe of choice for the far right?
Speaker 3: Yeah didn't I Is that not what I said earlier?
Speaker 4: It is oh oh fuck me? Yeah I okay, yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: But so like I'm looking at this in the micro where it's like, ah, rats.
Speaker 2: I can't wear newalle shoes as much as I used to, and I can't wear like a thing with an American flag on it.
Speaker 3: Ah rats.
Speaker 2: But then I think about the amount of stuff that people on the right and far right need to pretend they don't like, and that list is fucking huge. We're of course, like I'm dripping in examples of it. Because of the job that I have. I've just been forced to consume so much conservative media, and.
Speaker 4: I just they won't consume it.
Speaker 3: Myoing everything.
Speaker 2: My heart breaks every once in a while when they have to, just like Sean Hannity needs to get on TV and pretend Beyonce has no talent like all I like. A couple of years ago, Bruce bergersty started being very vocal and critical about the administration, and people have to just just suddenly be.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, you know what, I yep, never liked him.
Speaker 2: I never liked his his working class, straight down the barrel, rock and roll, joyful stuff.
Speaker 3: I've always this whole time liked present.
Speaker 1: Day kid Rock.
Speaker 3: That's that's my favorite guy. My bread and butter.
Speaker 2: Kid just just uh dream blunt rotation of kid Rock and my favorite actor, John Voight.
Speaker 4: I't maybe I think I like Kanye West, but I can't remember. Yeah, it is, he had like a clear he's got it. Trump's got a clear act to grind for Brisprainstein because he talked about it during the even the Correspondents dinner. But it is really really funny that that, first of all, that everybody's impulse is that when there's not a group of somebody who they're not allowed to like anymore because their tribes says they're not allowed to like him anymore, they go their their first instinct is not to be like, fuck, that sucks. I really liked that person. It's to go. I never liked the art that they made.
Speaker 3: It's and it happens. It happened to our tribe too, I mean years ago.
Speaker 4: It happens our tribe when uh, Louis c K.
Speaker 2: When those allegations were made incredibly public about his sexual assault and misconduct, everyone was just like, yeah, fuck this guy. He you know, we don't need to keep giving him money and keep supporting him financially.
Speaker 3: Sucks that he did this, this this horrible stuff.
Speaker 2: And people online were like, are we now ready to finally have the conversation about how he's an overrated comedian. It's like, well, that's not what we're talking Well, hold on, fuck the guy, but like, hold on, though, I'm not gonna you're putting me in a position where I'm where I feel like I need to pull out some specific bits that he's done as iconic and I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 3: This isn't going to turn into like a world tour celebration, but like, we can't you can't pretend.
Speaker 4: The worst are the people who are reconning it like they notice something some moral failing in the human before that point where they're like, yes, I never liked him and I couldn't understand why until now. It's like no, I mean, you don't have esp You're not picking up a different wavelength than the rest of us, right.
Speaker 2: You didn't see a special or an episode of his groundbreaking television show, and me like, I think this guy was masturbating in front of master baking in front of women without their consent.
Speaker 3: That there's something about.
Speaker 2: This short film starring Jeremy Renner he made that makes me think writer director.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think that the I don't know, those people are just trying to keep their own record unblemished. I think they're just like, I've gone completely undefeated this whole time. I've never fallen for anyone who was potentially problematic, which is like a weird record to try to hold. Isn't it more impressive to have liked something terrible and then even if it was like you liked what was terrible about it at the time, and then over time to be like, oh, you know what, I fucked up? Yeah, I see now that that was bad.
Speaker 2: I know people who who work very hard to cultivate like all of their tastes around someone that they've around, artists that they've they've thoroughly vetted as unproblematic. Yeah, as of right now, like checking every box and going through every potential thing that could one day be remembered negatively by history as social more race change. And I look at these people and I think it's it just seems so stressful. It seems so and and there are there are traps. You know, Mumford and Sons probably seem safer then their drummers, an anti vaxxer or some shit.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do if lind Manuel Miranda beats a kid? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Man? Bluegrass is just a hair's breadth away from country, like we should have seen that coming. Blues Like everybody's like blues grass. Blue grass is safe, blue grass is a safe is safe territory?
Speaker 3: Not true? Not true.
Speaker 4: This is rural folk, my friend.
Speaker 3: They're just weird. They're weird, rural guys.
Speaker 2: They're standing up on stage and they're they're harmonizing and they're making you laugh. And then one day the government tells them they're not allowed to go outside anymore. And you're gonna see and they're gonna see some country coming out.
Speaker 4: And they're gonna change. And when people are surprised by football players, white football players being being somewhat offensive, and they're like, what what, but I love that kicker.
Speaker 3: He's a kicker.
Speaker 4: No you didn't, so, Daniel, this is actually helpful for my segue, because you've got a lot of people who will try to keep their record unblemished, and part of that is also curating what books classic books that they think are still worth it and which books are problematic. Yeah, Huck Finn is a great example because Huck Finn uses the N word quite a bit, and everyone there's debates. It seems like this cycle gets pulled up every couple of years where people are like, Huck Finn isn't actually that good. Huckleberry Finn is not like a good story, and you have to be like, well, fucking just hold on, everybody, just cool off for a second. Yeah, I wanted to ask you a question, a quick question.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think I'm on record that I don't think I did not enjoy Huckleberry Finn. We might have read it in high school. I feel like that didn't count for me. It didn't find any purchase, so I read it. What I'm deciding is the first time I read it last year, and I've thought it was such a fucking slog And I'm not trying to be cool. I'm never trying to be cool. I'm not a cool person, but I'm just reading this book, like so much of it just feels very mean to me.
Speaker 3: It's that's novel. I know.
Speaker 2: They are definitely parts that I like, but but at one point he's just like he's describing paintings that he saw and and like, yeah, dude, just like, here's a painting and he's like describing every bit of it and what it makes it feel. And then he moves out to another End's like, I'm already reading a book. We don't need to go to the museum in the book. And he's like telling me poems saw in the newspaper.
Speaker 3: Get bent.
Speaker 4: This is the woke mo coming for him again, because pacing is different now than it used to be. You wade for a television show where it's gotta be on. I'm reading Return to the King with my son, and do you know how long I had to sit there and listen to fucking the structure of Minis tires. How many layers of Minis teith there are? And here what's in each one? What's in the gardens of each one? It sucks, But that's novels. That's you're given. You're allowing the author some free reid to breathe and to like really like find their wheels and then you just try us that when you get through all this, the story itself will be worth it. And I think that's fine. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 3: We can we can, we can shake hands on huck finn is fine.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now forget I said huck fang for a second, because I have to ask you a good question. Somebody's offering you. You get a notification tomorrow that somebody's like, you know what, I love the podcast, I love your voice. I would love for you to do the audiobook version of a Penguins calling you or something like uh. And they're like, we really want you to do an audiobook. We're gonna pay you a million dollars, million dollars, million dollars. But they have not said, and they will not say until you're on the day what book it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Will you do it? I I cannot. I cannot know.
Speaker 2: Of course I cannot end up doing the audio book for Elon Musk's Memoir or Hillbilly Elegy or some other that that Brian Thompson's Cookbook of his Son's Blood.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 4: So because I can't, I can't make it clear, by the way, it's Brian Johnson.
Speaker 3: Brian Johnson, forgive me.
Speaker 2: I oh yeah, you're you're, you're you follow a lot of his uh his immortality tricks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what it's worth.
Speaker 4: The most recent news about Brian Johnson is that he's got Oh fuck, it's possible I'm wrong. Is that the lead singer of A C d C Brian Johnston?
Speaker 3: Maybe we know who we're talking about. Pause?
Speaker 4: Please, yeah, it's Brian Johnson.
Speaker 3: Okay, good.
Speaker 4: Brian Johnson is also the name of the lead singer of A C D C. So I was momentarily panicked that I somehow complated, But now you're right twice.
Speaker 3: I'm right.
Speaker 4: I'm right on all fronts. He the most recent news on him, and I don't love how much I relish this. He's got some income incurable uh disease. Yeah that like Time got him as well, and I'm like, yeah, score one more for Time.
Speaker 3: Is that the latest news.
Speaker 2: I thought the latest news was that like he cloned himself and was gonna live forever in his clone.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, I mean that's like.
Speaker 2: Like a post diagnosis thing. He's done a very it's it's really it's really bad to find glee in someone else's terminal diagnosis. He's making it really hard to have empathy because a bunch of people did celebrate when he was like, hey me, this guy who's who's pinned tweet to this day is I'm going to live forever. It turns out I have a terminal illness and and there's there's no cure for it. A bunch of people made jokes and had fun with that, and I was like, well, I'm not going to join the fray of people making jokes and having fun with that, because because death is bad.
Speaker 3: I'm on record. And then he started posting about how it's like, is it interesting that people are finding glee in this nonsense? Nonsense nonsense.
Speaker 2: You know who who I remind myself of in this moment is Jesus Christ. He and I both went through the same thing. But all we wanted to do.
Speaker 3: We just wanted to live, live and teach. And people took joy in.
Speaker 4: Our monitor the erections of our eighteen year old son throughout the night. We wanted to compare our own erections to an eighteen year old and just see, We just wanted to see. We're asking questions here which one's harder.
Speaker 3: Drinking blood and asking questions about owners.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, you may feel like this if you're a pet owner. I've got a cat, Bethany, and one of the wishes that I have every time I have an eyelash on my cheek, I get to blow up birthday candles. One of the wishes that I have is that I could just communicate with my pet for like twenty four hours, so that we could come up with some sort of system where we could tell each other stuff. Because there are moments where my cat will just be walking around the house limping, and I'm like, what happened to you? And the cat just can just stare at me because there's no communication, or she goes and she hides because she's feeling sick, but I can't put a hand on her forehead and tell that she's sick. I'm out of ideas because I'll only ever dealt with children and humans before, so when they're not feeling well, I feel so helpless. So if you've ever found yourself awake at two am, phone in hand, googling things like is it normal for dogs? Or do I need to call the vet right now? You're not alone those unexpected moments are part of having a pet, which is exactly why the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance exists. It helps take some of the financial stress out of vet care so you can focus on your pet and less on the cost. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, even your pets particular quirks. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash question. It's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash question. Again, that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash question. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance's underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 3: I can't add a disclaimer in the in the audio book. No, they don't. They don't let you. They don't let the speakers be like, just sell you guys, now.
Speaker 4: Not me.
Speaker 3: I don't know what about this. I did this for a million dollars.
Speaker 4: What if they were like, we will, we'll make sure that it is not nonfiction and we will make sure that it is a classic within its genre. Now do will you do it for a million dollars?
Speaker 2: I mean there's you're still there's the huck Finn of it all where it could end up getting me to say words that I don't use and don't like to use.
Speaker 3: No, I do it a million dollars?
Speaker 4: Okay, good, congratulations. Well your book is gonna be The Joy Luck Club. There's a lot of dialogue in it. It's super important that you do it. You try to emulate the voices as much as possible.
Speaker 3: What are the voices?
Speaker 4: Amy Tan? The Joy Luck Club is a story about Yeah, you heard the name and you knew immediately. You know what. You don't have to do the job. We're gonna have you do the color purple. It's a pistolary and it's written in local color writing that is not like color like you think it is. That's like an actual term.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So this is the thing.
Speaker 4: I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks. Now I'm gonna pull back the curtain and show you my whole the whole show. I've been reading a lot of it.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad show escaped your mouth because for a while that was I'm gonna pull back the curtain and show you my whole and there was a lot of air before we got to.
Speaker 4: So I listened to audiobooks on my way to work because now my work is over an hour away. And what I found is that everyone's just being pretty cool with the fact that you only have one person reading the audio book. So when they get to characters that are written with an accent, and sometimes even when they're not, that whoever's reading the audiobook is taking some big, big swing, some big cadence swings. Now, let me drill down to what that means. I listen to a book called The Star is My Destination. It's Grace or Tiger Tiger. You might know the book as because for whatever reason, this book has two titles. They don't get a bunch of different people to do the voices, and at least not in the audio book circles in which I frequent, But it's one guy and they're usually pretty good. I mean, they're sound like voice actors. They've got a lot of gravitas with they're just reading the narration, and then when they do the voices, they pick something for everybody. This guy's picked for the main character. He's got like the South African voice.
Speaker 3: That's very cool.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, he whippings wick.
Speaker 3: Are you crazy?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what the character sounds like. He he has to do a Chinese detective every once in a while, and he's taken a really big swing on this Chinese detective.
Speaker 3: That's it really throws you out of the book.
Speaker 4: But the most startling example that I've come up with so far, and everybody again, nobody's talking about this, uh is. I listened to Stephen King and there's the whole Dark Tower series which people have raved about, people who I respect have raved about it. And so I was like, well, I better read this. And you get into this book called The Drawing of the Three, and in that there's a character named Debtah Walker, And I want you to just hear some of what deada Walker sounds like.
Speaker 5: The chambers swung open, loaded, fucking be loaded. You're gonna do this young cock of the walk first, and that really bad man be waking up, and you're gonna give him one big grin smile, honey child, so I can see where you ease. And then you're gonna clean his clock something righteous. She swung the chamber back.
Speaker 3: Here's here's here's what I think, Soren, Yeah, go ahead. I think go for it. I think the reader went. I think that's what you have to do. I think I think that's.
Speaker 2: Less enjoyable as a piece of media to listen to. If if the reader is timidly, if I'm just saying all those words in this unaffected voice and I'm not changing diss to this, I'm just using my normal nasal Daniel O'Brien voice to say dis motherfucker loaded, that's way worse than someone doing a voice. I think, Soren, my white friend, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I think it's a fucking trap. I think that there is no good answer. I think that if this guy did it this way, the way that he chose, which is the very biggest swing, I'm like, whoa, I have to stop whatever. I'm about to pull over because I'm like, are we are?
Speaker 3: Is he doing this? What is going on here?
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of uh him saying honky in it, there's a lot of like him really really like diving into this accent and whatever's written on the page, which you're trying to be faithful to the original author.
Speaker 3: I get it. Yeah, but no one ever.
Speaker 4: Anticipated this moment when it would have to be read out loud, and which is the one you're proposing, would be just as I think it's just as bad, which is, you don't go for it. You try to cover your tracks as best you can, you mitigate the damage, and you just read it in your your ordinary voice, the way when I or you when you are speak Spanish, when we're like, I'm gonna put the accents in.
Speaker 3: That's I know that.
Speaker 4: That's where they go like, I'm gonna do that, I'm gonna roll my rs and stuff. But I don't think that's I don't think I'm totally allowed to do that. And so but I'm not gonna speak it like a gringo, you know, like I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be like, yeah me lapize as grande. I'm a rio, Like I'm not gonna do that. I'm gonna I'm gonna say I'm a rio. So, uh, I don't know what the I don't think there is a good answer for it. I don't know how you do this other than if they hire more than one person to do the voices in a book, which I don't think is a terrible idea. I think that would be pretty fucking rad.
Speaker 3: It's an expensive idea.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 2: And then you're getting into like directors too, because you've got to like do a whole thing about it. And I don't think that we can guarantee that kind of treatment across all books.
Speaker 3: There are so many books.
Speaker 4: Well, let's see, you are going to be your publishing house, so you're creating these you've got you're clearly doubling up on guys anyway. You've got guys that are reading multiple books. Every Stephen King book I've read so far has been this one guy. Every Raymond Chandler book is the same guy. So you have somebody you can bring in who is your goon and like he's just doing every goon part there is. Yeah, not the modern meeting of goon.
Speaker 3: No, Stephen King hasn't gotten to that scary story yet. A the goon Cave coming next from Stephen King? What will happen in the goon cave?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got your tough guy, you've got your nerd, You've got you've got these the stable of people, and you're like, these are these are who plays each one of these roles, and I know that they do it well. I'm not going to deviate from it. And in addition to that, you're also going to make sure you have one of those for every ethnicity.
Speaker 2: What does your Dark Tower Reader do? Because there is a prominent child in that series, and there are also I think women.
Speaker 3: What does he does? He have a little kid voice? Does he have a white lady voice?
Speaker 4: You bet great, He's got it all. He's got a little kid voice. And it's also pretty grading, but it's not offensive.
Speaker 3: It's a real. I cannot stand adults acting like children. It's a real. It made the Alien Earth show very difficult for me to watch. I don't know if you've seen that show, but it's that's it. It's a lot of it. It's a lot of it is adults.
Speaker 2: Acting like children. And it's like fucking theater. People love doing that kind of theater. Kids love pretending like their children. They love it so fucking much.
Speaker 3: It sucks. I hate it.
Speaker 4: They love to stretch. Yeah, it's like that's like the challenge of it. They're like, oh yeah, oh, this is this role is a stretch. Let's try it. Let's try it. And they get excited about that kind of thing. They love playing old man. Yeah, did you ever see the show Penn fifteen. I thought they did that really well where they like make kids play fifty grizzled fifty year old people from New York.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff.
Speaker 2: There was this characterization and an audiobook thing, and I still think I'm team go for It instead of Team Welden. You're winning because that team give people jobs. There was this is such a time capsule, but I believe it was one of the bonus features in the DVD of one of John Mullaney's comedy specials where there is you could probably find it on YouTube, but it's like a conversation between Mullaney and Dan Mintz and Anthony Jesselnick, who especially at this time like this this has got to be New in Town or the one after that John mllaney special called New in Town. This is at a time where like Mullaney was famously this is this is pre backslide Mullaney, pre divorce Mulleney, pre marriage Mulleny where it.
Speaker 3: Was like, this is what a what a nice man in a suit?
Speaker 2: You know he's not clean, but it seems like clean comedy this is such a good old boy. We like John mulaney, who wears a suit, he's a showman, his hair is combed. And Anthony Jesselnick is like a dark comedian. He's the rose guy and he's evil and he's the devil and you know, dead baby jokes and this and that and UH politically incorrect as far as you can get. And the two of them talking about John Special in this UH DVD bonus feature hit on something so interesting.
Speaker 3: Because Mullaney will tell he will talk about law and order, and he will do.
Speaker 2: An impression of iced tea that's as accurate as he can get, and he will also talk about encounters with people that he has on the streets of New York and it has him doing a black voice, like there's no way around it that this is like, and jessel Neck confronts him about it, and it's just like, for all the dark stuff that that for my reputation of darkness, I would never do that.
Speaker 3: I would never in a million years.
Speaker 2: Get on stage and do black voice because it seems so inappropriate and Malay. It's just like that's what he sounded like. So on some level, when the guys are reading the audio books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that self.
Speaker 2: Justification is like, this is I'm reading the page, and it is my job to interpret interpret what the author is trying to say on the page. This is what this character sounds like. So I'm I'm gonna I'm gonna do it. You hired me, and you bought the audiobook. You trusted me to interpret this book for you. Here's how I'm doing it.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're right on some level, But I have to think that twenty years from now, when everybody else starts listening to only audiobooks and we've all forgotten how to read, this will be as big a problem as Mickey Rooney and Breakfast at Tiffany's. He went for it, he got hired at a job. At the time, it didn't seem crazy in the moment. Then they were like, they're like, what's the best you can do? And he's like, well, I really should steer into the skid here, I should just really go for it, and did.
Speaker 3: And boy does it not age.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think that here's the other part of this that I offered you a million dollars, because even for less than that, I don't think you could do it as a already public figure. I think a lot of these guys who are doing these voices. Maybe again, I don't travel in the same circles of voiceover actors, But these guys aren't well known enough that somebody's reading gonna listen to the audiobook simply because they like the guy reading it. They're not gonna be like, oh, I love his work, I'll check out that book. I think that if you did it, that would happen, and that's more dangerous. That's more dangerous.
Speaker 3: Because then I'm courting the controversy a little bit. Yeah, but I wanted the money. I want the money that people stop sh I want the money, I mean.
Speaker 4: And also, just listening to these I'm sure that there is a ton of work that goes in before this has ever read. It's not like the guy shows up on the day and he's like, well, the words right there. I obviously don't have to memorize them because nobody's looking at me. What if I just read it on the day, that can't possibly be it, because he's got to make big decision. I always sing, he I guess there's women who also do these.
Speaker 3: Shout out Dorothea Lewis.
Speaker 2: He's a friend of mine who reads audiobooks shout out Dorothea Lewis aka a.
Speaker 4: Real digging against me that it's clear that even though I'm burning through audiobooks, I haven't done a single one that's clearly written from the perspective.
Speaker 3: Of a woman.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm sorry, I will I'm gonna read The Joylut Club next, I promise.
Speaker 3: Well, God completely think there's a lot of work that goes into it.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of work they have to figure out what the voices are going to be, right.
Speaker 2: I think they also probably have some kind of discretion over what they choose. A right that's got to be a conversation where the publishers like, we have this available, we think you'd be good for it. Yeah, heads up, here's some of the stuff that goes into this. And an author has the right to a reader has the right to say, like, it's not I'm not not for me.
Speaker 3: I don't feel good doing that.
Speaker 4: I think that's probably true. I think that you but you're also you know there's gonna be words in there that you don't know, words that the author made up, And so then you've got to be in contact with the author to make sure that you're doing a justice right, So you've got this so much front end work that probably is happening.
Speaker 3: The guy who read my audiobook didn't say shit to me.
Speaker 4: Well, you're right then, the King's English. It's very easy to understand, thank you. There's like didit chok? There's in within the Dark Tower, which clearly is something you have heard read scene scene Okay, So there are these like lobstrosities that live in the ocean and they make a very specific sound that is like a did it choc did chock kind of sound, and even written, seeing that written out phonetically, you'd be like, well, fucking get King on the horn because I don't know what this is supposed to sound like. And I think that they must do a ton. There's even stuff that I'm not thinking of that they have to do in preparation to make sure that, uh, they're doing the as much justice to the book as possible.
Speaker 3: They're the guy who does.
Speaker 4: The Raymond Chandler once is amazing for anyone who doesn't know Raymon Chandler writes all the Philip Marlow hardboiled detective stories. They are the birth of hard boiled detective stories, like they are he He is the master of them, and he was the originator arguably, but he the guy the Philip Marlow characters. The Philip Marlow character is very specific, and he's when you read him, he's so fun on the page. It's much tougher to do that as an actor, like to really capture what he is. And the guy who's doing it is fucking nailing it. So it's clear that he worked on this character as much as a guy would have if he was going to play him in a movie, and so so much work goes in. I have to assume this conversation has happened multiple times for these books where they're like, Okay, I'm gonna be doing this character who is first generation from Thailand as well. He's only on these five pages, but I'm deeply worried.
Speaker 3: Would it be okay? Can I give you?
Speaker 2: Can I give you one one take where I'm where I'm just doing my voice? Is that just just so I can say that I did that and gave you that option, and then when the book comes out, then it's on you for picking whatever one that you picked.
Speaker 3: Can we just.
Speaker 4: I think we I mean we run into it on our show too, there's a really excellent, renowned Morgan Freeman impersonator in Los Angeles and he does Morgan Freeman for a lot of shows, a lot of animated shows.
Speaker 2: White guy, you got him for us for Cracked when you were when we still weren't for Cracked obviously. Yeah, we had something that was like I don't know that it was going to go out to the internet or if it was some internal thing that we were doing, like south By Southwest. Oh was south By Southwest and we needed we wanted like a Morgan Freeman s narrator, And you're like, I got a guy and he comes into the office and he's a very white manager.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, oh okay, it's just the south By audience. I guess no one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're not gonna credit you.
Speaker 3: Is that okay?
Speaker 4: But yeah, we have and and obviously the show has has been on long enough now that we've been through moments of awakening I would say, moments where we were become more aware of the world and we're like, oh, maybe that wasn't such a good choice. We had a character on our show named short Run No that Short Runs from also a pretty bad character. Yeah, but eight Bit I think is the name of our character who is like a Cambodian general, and that's a that accent's a pretty big swing. And if you go back and you listen to it, you're like, who that's tough man? We are This is not just somebody trying to be faithful to Cambodians. This is somebody who is making fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good chance that this person didn't like consoled a bunch of resources and like, talk to some people from Cambodia to get an accent there. There's I'm gonna say, a ninety it's no disrespect to this voice actor. A ninety chance that this person's like, I think I have a rough idea what they sound like.
Speaker 3: I think I got I got it.
Speaker 4: Let's just try it one in the room.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 4: I have to think I haven't watched Team America in a long time. And it certainly helps that you're doing the voice of a dictator. But they are really playing with a Korean accent in that they're playing with like what's the fun of doing Korean? Which I don't know if that's the same territory, because now you're making fun. Now you're being hard on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're getting jokes without any jokes being told, and so then you're not getting last without any jokes being told.
Speaker 3: And then so where is the laugh? What is the what is the joke? Then? What is the subtext of the joke? What do we all think is funny? You're getting away? Someone talks Uh? Oh, so yeah, I I didn't.
Speaker 4: I can't really talk to anybod about this because nobody else I know it only consumes their books.
Speaker 5: This way.
Speaker 4: I'm a maniac because it's that's like I'm at the gym or I'm driving and I'm like, let's listen to a story. Let's like listen to something fun. And have gotten obsessed with audiobooks, and man, this is across the board. This is a problem for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's I I can't contribute much. I think I've listened to one audio book in my life. On a road trip with my wife, we would listen to Kamala Harris's book one hundred and seven Days.
Speaker 4: Does she do her own voice?
Speaker 3: She does her own cheat? Oh, she doesn't do any She doesn't have the fun with it that.
Speaker 2: I'd hope she'd have, you know, I think she's probably gonna run again. So she's not gonna do like, she doesn't bust out a Trump or a Biden voice.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like, come on, you got one your age.
Speaker 4: I fucking know you do. Lindsey Graham. I think you've got a great Lindsey Graham in you. You got that high pitch voice already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lindsay Graham said, wouldn't support me? He said no way. I'm like, yeah, but did he say like that? Come on, how did you say it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: A little something like this and then do it? I yeah, I don't think I can. I an't do a lot of nonfiction. In nonfiction, I think it's probably a different animal. I think that they don't aren't expected to because you're listening to the story as though it's being told to you from the actual person. So like when they're talking in other people's voices, you still expect it to be in the voice of Kamala Harris. Sure, even if it's quotation dialogue. But not man, these fiction stories, it's dangerous territory. You should listen to more. By the way, they're great, and in fact, you have to make sure that you get the right ones, because there are some. I'll give you an example Elie confidential unlistenable.
Speaker 3: Okay, I.
Speaker 2: This this is this is one of those takes that gets people pointing a bunch of knives at me. And I was hoping to never have to get into it, uh and just let it be one of those takes that I have in my heart and and bring to my grave. But I'm I'm pretty anti audio book.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's at first people are going to hear that and get very pissed off, and they're gonna think I'm uh elitist and ablest that I'm trying to keep books out of the hands of people who can't read. And then by the time I've finished my explanation, I think people will be pissed off for different reasons because I'm I'm a I'm a semantic asshole, where.
Speaker 3: I just think that.
Speaker 2: We should if you consume a book by listening to it, we should call it something else. That's not odd today we should make that distinction, because for a while, I think everyone made that distinction. It was like I read this or I listened to it. You know, people would correct self correct and say they listened.
Speaker 3: And then at some point in the last ten years, loud people on the internet are writing for the Atlantic or wherever the fuck idiots with too much time and not enough problems go.
Speaker 2: They were saying that, hey, if you listen to a book, then you read the book, and you can say that you have to let anyone know that you listen to it instead of reading it. And it became, like so many things, a cause and a pride thing. I did this and I like it, so that means it's good and it's right. I disagree, I think. And there's where it gets into semantics. You listened to The Great Gatsby. I read The Great Gatsby.
Speaker 3: On the score of like, have we both consumed the same information? Yes we have. Do we know the story?
Speaker 2: We both can can can convincingly pass a high school English test about The Great Gatsby even though you listen to it and I read it. We can both, I think, swear to a light detector test. I know what happens in The Great Gatsby and how it happens, and the style of writing that was employed in it.
Speaker 3: Yes, we both got the Great Gatsby. We ate it, we consumed it. We didn't both read it because reading, in my opinion, that is worthless. Reading is a thing that you.
Speaker 2: Make time for that takes up all of your attention. Because everyone when I when I had my son and was bummed that I would have less time to read, people were saying, oh, you can do. You can listen to audio books in the car, you can listen to them on your runs, you can listen to them on the walks. You just like, have it going in your house while you're doing X, you know, yard work, chores, prepping the dinner, putting the kid to sleep, whatever you want to do. And it's like that is not I don't want to read and do another thing. I the act of reading is enjoyable to me, and I like that.
Speaker 3: I'm giving it my.
Speaker 2: Full attention because I reject the efficiency economy where we're trying to make things happen faster and multiple things happen at once.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do that. I don't want to multitask meeting reading for the same reason I don't want to like multitask love making or eating, you know, all these things.
Speaker 2: They're just like, no, this is the thing that I like to do, So I like the point is making time for the act of it, and like sitting and looking at this and unlocking my brain and not like reading while also.
Speaker 3: Vacuuming or raking leaves or doing any of these other things.
Speaker 2: It's again, it's just, it's just it's it's a semantic distinction, and uh makes me ablest at worst and like just annoying at best.
Speaker 3: But it's how I feel.
Speaker 2: And I looked at our runtime, and we still had more minutes to go, and I could tell Soren was running out of steam. So I thought my bag old rant about reading was going to go somewhere, and here it is.
Speaker 4: Well, all right, I've let you speak, Daniel, thank you, and I'm going to say now that I think you're completely wrong, that this is a knives to your throat moment. Oh, I think you're up. I don't think you're going to find a writer who disagrees with you, okay. I think everyone who writes understands that there's a fundamental difference, and which is why I generally qualify when I if I say with somebody's like, oh, what's a science fiction book do you really like? I'm like, well, I read this one called the Stars My Destination. I listened to it. I listened to this book All the Stars My Destination, because it's it is an important distinction. When you read you find passages that you particularly like, that you think are interesting and beautiful or whatever, and then you go back and you reread it over and over again. You sit there with the book for a while, you stay on that same page. The pages are not turning at the same uniform pace as they would with an audiobook, where you're just blowing through everything and you're getting the information and you're understanding this, you're comprehending the story. You're not comprehending the I don't think from reading it. From hearing it, you're not going to get a lot of the literary devices that are being used.
Speaker 3: You're not getting.
Speaker 4: The interesting turns of phrase as much. You might capture some of them out of the air when you hear them.
Speaker 3: But you're not.
Speaker 4: You can't don't have the luxury of them, like rereading it over and over again and have it set in your memory. There's stuff you just can't do. I also think that there's something really valuable to reading a book, giving it your attention and it not holding your attention, and you like drifting off as you're reading it, being like, oh shit, I didn't pay attention to just happened in less paragraph and then rereading it again and dedicating yourself once more to a thing like that kind.
Speaker 3: Of or letting yourself stay kind of drift it off.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's no there's no better imagination activation machine than a book. It is still like bar none, unparalleled, undefeated as far as like getting my brain to work when I'm sitting and staring and looking at it versus when I'm listening to a book with my wife. We will A thing that you can't do when you're reading a book is we will turn down the volume and talk about what we're going to have for lunch, and then turn up the volume and miss little bits and pieces of the book because we're not really paying full attention to it.
Speaker 4: I mean, even screenwriters, you know that watching a movie is a very different thing than reading the screenplay of it, despite the fact that there's a lot of differences in dialogue stuff because changes get made. But even if it was exactly the same, you want to see the formatting. You want to see how it's written. You want to read the action lines speak because those are super crucial to like the flow of the story and seeing it is one thing reading it is very very different. You pick up on foreshadowing in different ways. You pick up on through lines that you didn't see before because it's on a page now. It's like it's the same way when you're writing yourself. You have a lot of thoughts in your head and you're kind of keeping track of all of those and you're juggling them. You're juggling them, and it's very hard to focus on any one of the objects that you're juggling until you can put it down in front of you and look at it. And so like it's a writing just allows you to lay everything, all those thoughts and like you like, I have the whole story in my head. No, it allows you to lay it out in a row so that you can see it before you and really notice all of the details of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just want to close by saying I don't want anyone to feel bad anyone who they should.
Speaker 4: If people can say that they fucking listen to that they read Moby Dick and they listen to Moby Dick, ah fuck, that they could come with me, not you all in front of you.
Speaker 2: You can still go to parties and say you read all the books that you want to say you have read.
Speaker 3: It's I'm not. I never want to make anyone feel bad for.
Speaker 4: Anything, But imagine listening to Ulysses. What are you going to get out of that experience?
Speaker 2: You might get something, That's what I'm saying. It's just a different it's just a different thing. It's a different thing.
Speaker 4: But you yeah, I guess you're right. I guess you're right. I mean, I go to I think about going to museums like an art form that I don't know anything about. I'm trying to like make it as distance itself, distance it from me. I go to art museums, and I get bored because I'm like Christ painting, another Christ painting, another Christ painting?
Speaker 3: What are we doing?
Speaker 4: And like, I don't understand the work that goes into that. I don't understand the details. I don't understand why making water look real is tough. I don't get these things. And and so somebody who does and has like this whole tool this whole tool belt of ways to dissect a painting and understand it, They're going to understand a lot more than I will. And so I think, maybe from a distance, if you are not a writer, audiobooks are for you, man, They're totally fine, and the read there's a very specific reason that I'm reading like pulp stuff when I when I read in my car, when I'm listening to audiobooks, I'm listening to Stephen King and I'm listening to Raymond Chandler and stuff, because those are The story itself is very enjoyable, and it doesn't I don't. I know that I'm missing some cool Cormick McCarthy type shit when I'm doing it, but it doesn't matter because I'm there for just the story itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of Cormick McCarthy stuff in Stephen King and Raymond Chandler books, you know what. I'm glad those are the ones that you're listening to to find some cormck McCarthy stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna reread.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna in Blood Meridian, I'm gonna reread The Stars Wheeled across the Sky toward Uncharted Reckonings over and over again, because I'm like, that's a fucking awesome thing to say. If I hear that in a story, I'm just gonna blow right past me. All right, I'm ranto, but yeah, come for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not Daniel.
Speaker 4: He's good, he's a good heart. Leave him alone, all right, Well, thank you for listening to this podcast The Spin quick question, Really, Daniel, honestly, you should read the podcast.
Speaker 3: You should read it.
Speaker 4: This is how we transcript this is how we intended.
Speaker 3: It before every episode.
Speaker 2: Patreon listeners know that we write these podcasts. We script them first, one hundred percent scripted, and that's how we want them consumed, and then we record it for as like a like a some icing on it. But this is not the right format.
Speaker 4: This has been quick question with sarre On and Daniel. You knew that if you liked our theme song that's by me Rex, you can find their music anywhere you download music, or you can go to merex dot com, slash band camp I'm pretty sure, uh and find all their albums. Uh. If you like this podcast and you want to watch a video version, you could do that on YouTube. And if you were like I just want more of this podcast more, you could become a Patreon subscriber and we do bonus episodes over on our Patreon behind a wall, you gotta pay to get through. And if you like this podcast and you think that it sounds good and that the clips are good and you think that it's wonderfully put together. That is all Mackenzie Mozelle. If you like her, you can follow her podcast, which is Don't Make It Worse. Thank you for listening and we'll see you on the flip side.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 1: I'm going to quick quick question. I want to hear your thoughts, know what's on your mind. I've got a quick quick question for a quote and I'm just by the week gets talk tonight. So what's your favorite do you get? You see that's friends in comedy. It does an answer that I cannot find. I think you'll have a great time. I think you'll have a great time. M hmmm.