Speaker 1: We continue on Fred Rogan and Rodney Pete an AM five seventy l A Sports. Before the top of the hour, we were talking about Dalton Connecting, the game he had last night and what he could mean to the Lakers. Now going forward, Let's bring on our Laker insider from the LA Times, Dan White Game. Dan Good afternoon, Hello guys, How are you well? Dan? We're fine?
Speaker 2: Daniel, Yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: I am open and ready to also take shots. Should the Lakers need another another shooter, yep, an hooter as we're calling them now in the Lakers locker.
Speaker 1: I don't think you'll knock them down like Connected last night.
Speaker 3: Probably not, Fred, probably not. I think, uh, I think, uh, there's there. We have some minor differences. Dalton connected that, and I think one of those differences he can play.
Speaker 1: Them.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: Is that he is like an unflappable, like I don't care type of person. And then whereas I am very much flapped, but I really.
Speaker 1: Dan in life who doesn't enjoy a good flapping every once in a while?
Speaker 2: Okay, easy his daytime radio.
Speaker 1: Fread Okay, So he looked really good. He's studied three games in a row. Are you seeing a difference now with the Lakers.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it started before kind of his move into the starting lineup. You know, I would point back to the the you know, he had a good fourth quarter against Sacramento early in their first home stand, and then the Memphis game at home really was when he like got like we'll just call him like kind of like Clay Thompson asked, heaters, right, And I know that's really high praise, but like just these moments where it's like the Lakers haven't had guys like this that much, where it just like every time they shoot, you think it's going in. And uh, he's sort of entered that stratosphere this week. And then it kind of coincided with Ruey Hotchimer hurting his ankle in this opportunity in the starting lineup, presenting himself.
Speaker 2: I know J. J.
Speaker 3: Redick is not concerned about should Dalton connect start or not start. That's not where his mind is right now. I think, though, this is more about play and style and minutes and opportunities, and he's earned all of that. And I think when you play like this and you've done it now, you know a few games in a row and you've had a really good week, you get a chance to make that really good week a really good month. That's how you build out young players and guys. He's going to get great opportunities. I was talking with somebody today about, you know, how did he end up with the Lakers at seventeenth?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, what what happened? How did everybody and Lebron's you know, mess it up? We'll say, in the nice version of it.
Speaker 1: How did everybody and what everybody?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 1: What everybody?
Speaker 3: Everybody mess it up? Lebron used it more colorful, a more squipped it, yeah, a more a more satellite, more satellite friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, a bunch of.
Speaker 1: The nights after dark after dark friendly.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: It was, uh, you know, And I think the reason why I is a couple of things.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: I do think that, you know, front offices sometimes when it comes the draft time, especially when you're a team that's like projecting out deep into the future, you spend a lot of time thinking about upside and you don't spend as much time thinking about like what you have directly in front of you. And I think the other thing that happens is that teams also focus on sometimes what players can't do or what they think they can't do, right, Like the Connect can't get younger, you can't defend in the way that you know, maybe Ron Holland or somebody like that who has taken you know, in a place where you know, I think Detroit took them fifth, and that was a spot I thought, you know, I talked to some people who thought maybe Connect would end up there. That was where sort of his board started. You know, Ron Holland is a nineteen year old who's athletic and has like these like upside things, and yeah, let's gamble on that instead of like this known quand Well, you know, the known quantity in this case fell to the perfect spot in the Lakers, and he is getting high quality looks like like this was a guy that you know, spent the last two and a half months of college basketball with every scouting report tailored around stopping him, and now he is getting open threes playing around Lebron James and Anthony Davis, and he's making them in ways that guys who had this job have been cast in this job over the past four years, like, haven't done it consistently.
Speaker 4: Dan, Do you think that this is you know, I know it's way early, and he yes, he's been on a run. But for the last three years, four years, really, I mean we've been talking about the Lakers need that third star, the Lakers need that third person. And then he said it's okay. They did it by committee. Uh and and that was okay because it didn't matter on a given night. It could be Austin Reeve, it could be Ruyachama, it could be anybody, D'Angelo Russell. From time to time, they didn't need it. But is Dalton connect does he have the capability of being that third guy that the Laker's been looking for for the last three years.
Speaker 3: That does feel early to me around me a little bit, But I mean I think, like we know, but but we do know that he can be a primary scorer. Yeah, I mean that's that's a superpower, Like that is the thing that he does right, And I think, like, you know, obviously, like a lot of this has been built off of shooting and stuff like that, but you know, during the course of the game, like you know, before even like the bonkers third quarter which turned a good game into like an incredible game, you know, I mean, he's back cutting for dunks, you know he's getting out in transition.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Lebron James called them sneaky athletic, which is a great sports euphemism for white guys at dunk like and but like, he is a pretty good athlete, and he gives them some stuff around the basket, around the baseline, and you know, look, he opened the game by two threes, just in rhythm, like you know, spacing to the corner. I think there's like I mean, it does sort of feel like his floor is high level offensive role player, like high level, and if that's your floor, sure.
Speaker 2: I mean we can maybe get there.
Speaker 3: I think I'm always hesitant generally speaking, when it comes to like counting on rookies and stuff like that. I think, you know, the track record of teams to get really meaningful contributions from rookies, like deep into playoff runs is fairly minimal. But you know, like I said, I mean, this is a guy who's not afraid of moments.
Speaker 2: He's played in big games.
Speaker 3: He wants the ball in his hands, not afraid to shoot it, loves to shoot it. And you know, I think within this Lakers team, there are guard rails around that he doesn't have to like worry too much about like the pressure of being the third guy, Like that's not a thing that like, like the game will come to him in a very easy manner between what the Lakers are going to do on the gorton terms of Lebron James and Anthony Davis.
Speaker 2: Being there and Austin Reeves being there and drawing.
Speaker 3: Attention through those guys to then also like the fact that and I love that Jaju reddicks of this post game. He feels sometimes like he's drawing plays for himself, you know, Like I mean the coach wants to get this guy open, right Like, so like he's not going to be forgotten.
Speaker 2: Whether we annoying him as star or not. You know, he's gonna be a big part of what they do.
Speaker 1: You wrote that he has a pretty good relationship with Austin Reeves, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They Last year, during the middle of the season, Reeves send him a message on Instagram basically saying, you know, I'm you know, my age is somebody keep my eye open for you. I've been watching you and like keep it up with me. No can need anything. And you know it came at a time when Connect was playing like actually like a pretty bad stretch of basketball. And you know, I haven't talked directly to Dalton about this specifically, like whether or not that message helped him or any of that stuff, but he keeps bringing it up. He's brought up a by you brought up again last night, and I think, like, you know, he has their confidence. You know, Lebron last year after a game in Washington, was asked sort of about the state of the women's college game versus the men's college game, and you know, he talked about Juju, We talked about Calen Clark, and then he talked about Dalton Connect and you talked about Zach Edie and think these stars and stuff, and like, you know, Lebron was Lebron was adamant. You know, he told me last night after kind of that viral sort of like you know, we didn't find Dalton Connect. You know, sixteen other teams made the mistake that, you know, like he would have been furious.
Speaker 2: If they didn't take Connect.
Speaker 3: That like, it's just sort of felt like just a lot of like what they've been looking for was just sort of dropped in their lap. So I think that's the thing, right too. And if you're a young player, and I mean, Ron, you could speak to this right, like, you enter that situation and you're no matter how confident you are, when you level up like that, you need to either ac results or be have people constantly and here telling you. Don't worry, you're good enough to be here, You're good.
Speaker 2: Enough to have these you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And like he's got both of those things and we're fifteen fourteen games into his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's pretty amazing he got.
Speaker 3: That's already been answered.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And and the fact that look it and it's documented. You know, people will you know, criticize Lebron because they like to criticize Lebron, but he talked about this and like I said, his documented talked about this kid when he was at Tennessee before he you know, hit all these trees last night. It was almost like, hey, this kid is pretty special and and really, you know, his sentiment was he won't be around for us, and he actually was and they got him.
Speaker 3: And I think, I mean, he was one of the best players in college basketball. I mean point right, Like, this is not some great scouting to This is not the story that you know Lebron is told about you know, seeing Austin Reeves or anything like this is like I mean, like this.
Speaker 2: Was like he had CBS. Yeah, he like he had access to a television with Rabbit ears and.
Speaker 3: And I just again, I do think that you know, there is a focus a lot of times and what guys aren't good at or what guys can't become, and sometimes you you because of that, you forget. And I mean, look, the Lakers on immune to this. They did it last year with Jimi Hawkashimi Hawkins is a really good basketball player, right who at every at every stop along the way, has answered the questions that have been asked of him, has always figured out a way to help teams win. Right, And whether he was too old or not athletic enough, or they didn't think you'd shoot whatever, they folks, the Lakers focused on those reasons they didn't draft and they dress of Jalen Hichefino instead, right, and they they they missed, they missed the opportunity to have a homegrown player, you know, from their.
Speaker 2: Backyard who loves the Lakers, who you.
Speaker 3: Know, they didn't focus on the things that he did. They did not make that mistake with don't connect.
Speaker 1: So so now Dan the Lakers have won six straight real pools.
Speaker 3: Gold pretty real, I mean offensively, certainly real. I think this is a team that if they're healthier, are are going to be able to score, and they be able to score pretty efficiently. I think, you know, these next two games are just massive for them, right like that, that's when this is really going to get answered. The Lanta Magic are a good basketball team and they do a lot of the things that the Lakers have struggled with so far, and that's you know, they defend with physicality, and so can the Lakers match that physicality? Can they meet that physicality? It's going to be a really hard game, guys. That's gonna be a really really tough game here on Thursday night. And then you know, you gotta you gotta slay Denver, which is which is like kind of that other thing that's sort of been lurking, right and the players in the past would complain on we weren't prepared enough for Denver, we didn't go over there stuff enough, we didn't know what we were doing, we weren't organized enough, all that stuff. Well, like, this is a team that's trying to be more organized. It's trying to communicate better, that's trying to be more prepared for these situation. So I think these two games are really big tests for the Lakers, certainly not season defining tests. My gut and Laker fans aren't gonna love to hear this is that, like, we will be reminded that this is a team that is still in the first quarter of its season, you know, But I think there's been a lot to be really encouraged about in these fourteen games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the word on the job JJ Redick done so far? I mean, you know, when people looked at the off season, what they did, you know, Yeah, and leading up training camp all that, guys, Well season started. Now what's the what's the talk around the water cooler about JJ Reddick and the job he's done so far with his team.
Speaker 3: I was speaking last night to a pretty prominent coaching agent. We were talking about let's ays and coaching and how it's you know, it's tough, right, Like, is Will Hardy a bad coach?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, I think most people around the NBA would tell you that Will Hardy's one of the smartest coaches, you know, But he has a team that's very young. They're playing you know, six guys under the age of twenty two. It's hard to look like a good coach when that's happening, right, Like, And I say all that to say like it is like when your team has won six games in a row, like you look like a great coach. That is just like part of it. I think the stuff that we can point to that that speaks favorably for JJ Redick is watch the way Lebron James has played in terms of how willing he's been to be a secondary offensive option, how willing he's been to cut into screen. Look at what D'Angel Russell did defensively yesterday, you know, blocking John Collins at the rim, orchestrating an offense like winning without shooting.
Speaker 2: You know, you can look at these the things. Look at how Austin Reeves has been empowered, I mean.
Speaker 3: To the to the stage where that s how somebody posted so I hate stealing, but it is.
Speaker 2: A good point.
Speaker 3: Like he had seventeen points in five assists, and I like kind of felt like he didn't play well, you know, but like that that's being guys being put in positions to succeed. That's there being a belief in a system and having that to fall back on, having a foundation, like a real foundation. That isn't just Lebron James's greatness, That isn't just Anthony Davis's individual greatness. You know, that isn't just finding the best possible mismatch, you know, which is I think at the bed rock of kind of how they've played the past few years. And so yeah, I mean I think that points to to JJ Redick doing a pretty good job. He has those guys buying in and and an incalculable amount of coaching is buying getting buy in. You know, Like the plays and the schemes are all pretty much the same, like largely across the league, but like you need the guys to go do them and to do them with purpose, and right now Laker players are doing them and they're doing them with purpose.
Speaker 1: Then final question before we let you go, Anthony Davis. Uh, he gets hitting the most bizarre places. He gets hit in the eye, and last night he got hit in the crotch and he went down. What did that look like in person?
Speaker 3: Uh, it looked like a good luck tern for Dalton can Act. That was after after he went out. It was sort of like the one bell got wrung and then you know, Dalton started starting in threes.
Speaker 2: I asked Ad after the game if.
Speaker 3: He's willing to the sacrifice like this on a nightly basis, and and then ask.
Speaker 1: What that looked like in person? I mean, I mean I just wondered, what did the clod do? What? What did people think?
Speaker 3: Like all the men, all the men make the same noise? Right where that that kind of like wind grown? Yeah, I mean it was like right, like I do think whenever Anthony Davis had ground right like the there is still sort.
Speaker 2: Of the PTSD of like, oh my god, what is it?
Speaker 3: Right, like when he got poked in the eye, like like I didn't.
Speaker 2: Think he got poked in the eye. I thought you just loo geted his shoulder.
Speaker 3: Like just that was like my initial reaction was to go to the worst, right And when you got hit in the nuts, I say that, yeah. Sorry, Sometimes I forget that there are people listening, guys. You know when when you when you got when you get like hit, like when you get hit like that, like you know, when you crumbled out like you.
Speaker 2: Were like, oh is it like it's so bleak?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: You know? And it's like no, you just got you just got racked this.
Speaker 3: Like you'll you'll be all yeah, you'll be all right, you know, yeah, you're just needed to catch a breath. Oh yeah, that's what it looked like. That's what it looked like in burs in front. It looked like it looked like one of the few times where every person in the arena said, you know who, I don't want to be like right now?
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 2: Good job, All right, guys, take care, all.
Speaker 1: Right you too. Hey. I want to tell you about something I've just come across. It's called air Tasker. It's an app. So if you go to your phone and you download air Tasker. So what does air Tasker do. It makes your life easy, It simplifies it. You need something fixed around your house, air Tasker. Download the app. Do you need something assembled furniture is delivered, Call air Tasker. They'll do it. They even do copywriting for you if you need that. You need a fence fixed at the house, call air Tasker. You need pictures hung, call air Tasker. What they do is they make your life simple. They make your life easy. And the way it works is download the air Tasker app and get connected with a tasker. Now they'll ask you what your budget is, all right, So they're not going to come in with a price. You're going to tell them what you're willing to pay, tell them what you need, tell them your budget, and then wait for one or more taskers to respond. Need help on something you want to do with yourself, The taskers can help you virtually. This is really cool. I've used it. It works. People are on time, You set the time, you set the price, and basically you just wait for people to reach out to you through the app to get it done. So simplify your life. Really, it makes things so much simpler and easier. Get the air Tasker app, go to the app store, download the air Tasker app, and then when you need something done, they're just the people to do it. Air Tasker all right. At USC, there seems to be a flu Sometimes people get sick around the big game and we'll talk about it next.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, let's get back on a humpy roddy p fed rogan. Come on now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Rodney flu bug going around the USC locker room since last Saturday. Many of the guys missed practices this week, and Lincoln Riley says, well, we hope everybody will be through the worst of it by Saturday. And by the way, this flu has been nasty. I don't know if you know anyone who had it, but this has been nasty. No knocked people out. Yeah, that's what I've heard.
Speaker 4: That's why I've stayed inside and not gone out and interacted with anybody, because it is nasty.
Speaker 1: It's one of those, uh yeah, one of these.
Speaker 4: Not too long ago, maybe a year or so ago, we had one of these bad flu bugs that was out there that was attacking people. But yeah, this is this is very you know, speaking of it, you know, being an outbreak at USC, very reminiscent of the time I was there at USC almost thirty some years ago, almost thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a story that made national news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was very similar, like early in that week and I hadn't heard about it though, but early in the in the in the week, there was an outbreak on campus of measles at USC. And you know, measles is usually you know, associated with a childhood disease. You get it when you're young, and you get measles, you get the red dots on your face and you know, you lay in bed for a week and Mama gives you soup and you're all good after a while. But what I was told during that time is that when you get it when you're older, it could be very dangerous and and and have many complications. So there was an outbreak on campus. I didn't know this though. We had just played Arizona State on Saturday before we get got ready to play Ucla, so we were coming back from from Tempe Arizona and on uh. So we got back Saturday night and hung out like we did. It was a day game, so we you know, celebrated a little bit Saturday night and enjoyed ourselves. And then Sunday night, I started feeling very sick, you know, like those flu like symptoms, nausea, all those things, and it's like, man, I just need you know. So went and got just some over the counter medicine to see if I could just stop the the aches and pains that I had in nausea. And it was okay, but I still couldn't sleep with sweating all night, and then in the morning it got worse and I went into our athletic trainers actually called them and they came to me and took me in and said let's just go go into the to the training room the office to get some testing done. And they tested me and said maybe we you know, there's something else going on here. Let's go let's go into uh let's let's stick at the hospital so we can do more tests and do some blood tests and blood work and all that. So they took Yeah, So they took me into the hospital, and sure enough I had measles and I had not felt out like I don't remember, and I didn't up until then, never had anything where I felt like that. I had to flu obviously, you know a bunch of times growing up, and you know, still this day, get the flu, and you're like, you deal with it and go. But I had never felt anything like that. I had had, you know, chicken pox, even had measles as a kid, but never felt anything like what I felt on that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, well the week again, nausea. I couldn't keep anything down, throwing up. Eventually had to I had to be uh, you know, fed through a tube because I couldn't eat anything through my mouth because it was coming up.
Speaker 1: So they fed me through a tube.
Speaker 4: And I was in the hospital, checked in the hospital in Long Beach and h and stay there. I think stay there Monday night, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night. Stayed in the hospital and lost probably like twelve pounds in those three days. Then I was in the hospital, did not practice. And then it became, as you mentioned, became national news because at that time, we were undefeated, UCLA had only lost one game. The game was coming down to whoever won the game was going to go to the Rose Bowl. And then we still had and both UCLA still had national championship hopes that were that were still alive at that point because I mentioned were we were undefeated, they had one loss, and then on top of that, both Troy Aikman and myself were up for the Heisman Trophy, and so there was a lot at stake for that week and for that game and for this to happen. I was like man of all things in all weeks, for this to happen to me, I gotta have this happened week of Ucla. And so yeah, I would sit there in the hospital. I couldn't do anything but watch TV and then you know, read the paper and see what was out there. And then and it would be on the front page. Starting on Wednesday, it was on the front page of the of the La Times, Orange County Register. They had, you know, everything you could think about to lead off the newscast, not just sports, but leadoff newscast.
Speaker 1: It was the measle watch, the measle watch whether I was gonna play or not.
Speaker 4: And and my mom she kept every single one of those articles and people would send her stuff and she had them all and still has them all to this day. About the attention that got until and then uh, and it just happened and by one of my mom's friends called her and said she heard it on I think it was an NPR station of Paul Harvey talked about Rodney Peats got measles and that's how big it got. And so it was a it was a crazy week. I said, I didn't practice, didn't really didn't know I was going to play.
Speaker 1: Started to feel better on UH.
Speaker 4: When I woke up Friday morning, I started to feel much better better and ended up going to our walkthrough that we had on campus on Friday. Wore a mask and all of that, so I didn't affect anybody else. But there are a few other guys on the team that that were infected, but there was a big mandate that they quarantined. I mean the guys were like not that you could quarantine or did they quarantine back and end, but they were strongly encouraging guys not to go out of their dorm room or their apartments and just try to be you know, around you know, your teammates and don't go out and have, you know, to parties or anything like that during that week because it's going around campus. And sure enough it was. It was a big gigantic outbreak around campus. I didn't realize that until the Thursday of that week, and so I go to I go practice and walk through on Friday, but I feel still feel.
Speaker 1: Very, very weak.
Speaker 4: And then then we wake up Saturday, and normally at the night before game, we'll stay at a hotel in town stay in kind of the mid Wiltshire area. It was a Marriotte that we would stay at before the games and usually at s C. Which was pretty cool is that Friday nights we would go to a restaurant that would they would they would block out the restaurant and rent it out and so as a team we would go to a restaurant, whether it be you know, there was a tailor steakhouse. There are other like you know Asian places that we would go to, or whatever it may be. We would we would have the access to the whole restaurant, go there and eat, and then we would go to Paramount Studios and watch a movie like a new released movie or something that a very popular movie or inspirational movie. But we would go right on the lot at Paramount and watch the movie. And then we would all meet back at the hotel and we take all these buses, go back to the hotel and and then go to you know, go to bed have you know, bed check and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But it was kind of a cool tradition that we did at see. I always look forward to it.
Speaker 4: But that night I couldn't do it because they didn't want me to be, you know, so much around that atmosphere or come in contact with anybody at Paramount or anywhere else that might make my situation worse. But we wake up, we wake up Saturday morning, and I feel much better. And there was like by Friday night, I knew I was gonna play. I just it was just actually before that you know, it was. It was gonna take a lot. I mean, like I couldn't. It would take me not being able to get out of bed for me not to play in that game against UCLA.
Speaker 1: This is what you dreamed about.
Speaker 4: It's what you you know, when you go to USC, they preach about, you know, playing your crosstown rival for the chance to go to the Rose Bowl. And all the chips are on the line, and that's that's why you come to USC to play it in games like this, And so I was not gonna miss it. Uh. They were gonna have to kidnap me in order for me to miss that game. But started to feel pretty good on Saturday morning and we're driving.
Speaker 1: We leave and get ready to go to the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: The games at the Rose Bowl that year, and probably was the longest bus ride that I've ever had going to a game, and I just couldn't wait to get there and get the game. Started to get through all the mess and all the whatever was going to happen before the game.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to get there and play the game. And we pull.
Speaker 4: Up to the Rose Bowl and our buses are pulling, you know, into the tunnel and they're after Rose Bowl were already and normally we get there really early, so there's not a whole there's people tailgating, but not a whole lot of students or anything like that or at the at the at the stadium at that point. But this game, there were thousands of students lined up waiting for our bus to pull up to the Rose Bowl. And as we get closer, I'm like, what is why, you know, why are all these students out here? What's the commotion? Why why are so many people out here waiting for our bus? And I think it was like, you know, TV, because it was a nationally televised game, it was the game of the week and all that, so yeah, maybe there's cover and all that. We get closer to the tunnel and I pull up and there are all these students that have some got doctor's outfits on, some got nurse's outfits on, they all got mask on, and all of them had red dots pointed painted on their face. As our bus is pulling up, and I'm going, this is this is crazy crazy. I'm not talking about like fifteen people. I'm talking about there are literally about a thousand students that are out there with with red dots on their face as we're pulling up, and I'm just all you can do is laugh.
Speaker 1: At that point, It's like, Wow, it is that big a deal.
Speaker 4: And I just remember going out and I still have the clip of it of.
Speaker 1: The the call god it.
Speaker 4: I can't remember his name, it was Keith Checkingjaon. Yes, Keith Jackson did the game. Keith Jackson did the game with Bob Greasy, and I remember the clip was one hundred and six thousand people are waiting to see if number sixteen comes out to take the first snap. You know, only way, the only way Keith Jackson can do it. And that feeling, that feeling of running on the field to take the first snap was as exhilarating, exciting goosebumps, more of those than I ever have, and anything I ever did just to feel it. And even though it was at the Rose Bowl, you see, those games are half of USC and half UCLA fans, and they separated and our fans got so loud when I ran out there, and I still hear it to this day. With just I had just such an appreciation and love that I got from our fans and them knowing that okay, everything's gonna be all right, I'm going out to play, because at that moment, I went through a little bit of the warm ups, but I went in early, and so people that were trickling into the stadium didn't necessarily see me warming up all, you know, all before the game.
Speaker 1: And then I came out for the first play and it was it was amazing.
Speaker 4: Then we ended up winning the game and you know, beating them going to the Rose Bowl. Ended up losing a Notre Dame, which is bad after that, but but what a what a great moment in a crazy week for that outbreak to happen, and then find out after after that game, it was just it got worse on campus where more and more students were hospitalized and had to go in and so there's again there was all kinds of speculation that you know, I was caught in somebody else's dorm and the dorm I wasn't supposed to be in, and all these kinds of things that were rumors that were thrown out there that you know, he was hanging out in a in a in a a girl's only dorm, you know, the night after the Arizona State game, when we came back from Timpe, which was not the case.
Speaker 1: Was not the case? How many girls in there? That's what I want to know. Dorm?
Speaker 4: Oh oh it was probably a unit norm Yeah, so you could have got lost in there. If you had lost in there, I could have got lost in there. I'm not listen. I'm not going to say I've never been to that dorm, but I wasn't.
Speaker 1: There that night that they're that is in question. Put it that way.
Speaker 4: But crazy, crazy week, Fred, Crazy week. It's rivalry week. We'll get into it later this week. But I love this this time of year. I mean, it's not getting the hype that it normally does. And then when the teams are not great, you know, it is the way it is, but a changing a little bit. But it's still internally USA UCLA is still such a big game.
Speaker 1: All Right. You call the police, you say you've been robbed, They come to your house and they arrest you. That's next. Oh yeah, come on, Now, what hard on a home day? It is a wind day? Rody peat Fred Rogan. Now what were you saying, Freddy? Somebody burglarized your house. Yeah, here's the deal, So tell me if this has ever happened to you. No, it hasn't. Okay, well, but let me tell you the whole story. Then you tell me what you're thinking. All right, go ahead, all right. So a Florida man is sitting in his home. All of a sudden, he realizes there's a noise. He looks up. Someone has kicked his door in. These people come in to EVANTT. Brown's house and basically beat him with a broomstick. Beat him with a broomstick. Okay, a group of kids did it, but hit it with a broomstick. So Everett Brown, the victim, called nine one one. You would do that, rotten? He somebody broke into your house? And right, okay, so he called nine one one. The police arrive, They come into the house, they get the statement from mister Brown. Yes, they realize that he has been hitting with a broom he has been hitting. He's been hit with a broomstick, and they will find the perpetrator. And they did. By the way they did. They found the group of juveniles and the kids specifically that did it. So that's the good news. But they come in, they take his statement he's been hit, and then they immediately immediately arrest him. He's arrested.
Speaker 4: Now wait, wait, wait, they arrest the man who called nine who was hit with the broomstick. Yes, beaten with the broomstick. Yes, they come in and they arrest him. Yes, they arrested him.
Speaker 1: For burglarizing his own house and beating himself. No, that wasn't it. They had acknowledged he was burglarized and beaten, but they arrested him because he called nine to one one. They came into the house, they started interviewing him, and there was his cocaine. Oh, he had left his cocaine out in plain view. So while they were taking the statement, they looked at the table and went, you're not supposed to have that. Now. The guy's just been hit with a stick. But that didn't matter. So they arrested him and took him in and he was released on five thousand dollars. Pod. Wow, if you're gonna listen, if you find yourself in a situation where you've been beaten with a broomstick and you call the police, which is the right thing to do, please remove your cocaine. Please take it off the table, because the police are going to show up. You've been assaulted. They're going to come into your home. They're gonna check to see if you're okay. They're gonna take a statement. And while they're sitting in your home, because they have eyes, they will probably look around. Now they're not looking for anything specific, but they're human beings. They're looking at their environment. And if you happen to leave, I don't know, an eight ball of coke out, that's gonna be a problem. They're not gonna give you a pass. You're not okay.
Speaker 4: Listen, this is the middle of the night, correct, Yeah, middle of the night. You hear somebody kick down your door, right, you get up immediately. I don't know if he's got he had family there, or wife, a girlfriend, whoever, boyfriend, I don't know whoever he's got in the house, kids, but he's up and trying to figure out what's going on. How do I defend myself? This might be the end of my life. These guys just broke in, which means they're they're capable of doing anything. They start beating me. All I'm trying to do is I'm thinking, just survive. Survive it and give them whatever they want, and please let them just be on their way. You are not thinking about cleaning up. Your mind is so discombobulated. You are not thinking about, oh, we had a nice night last night. Everybody came over and we had some cocaine, we had some weed, we had some drinks at the girls.
Speaker 1: We had we were good. It was good.
Speaker 4: You're not thinking about I gotta clean that all up. You're thinking about nine one one. I'm beat. Somebody's beat the out of me and they they came in and broke into my house. Get here immediately, immediately, And that's unfortunate. That's really unfortunate because you're you are not in the right frame of mind to think I gotta clean everything up.
Speaker 1: Well, you had to clean up before you go to bed. There's a lesson to be learned there. The sheriff offered this. Mister Reverett did not deserve to have his home broken into and be battered by this hooligan. But he should have hidden his cocaine before dialing nine to one one. That's what they said he should have, sheriff said. Sheriff said he should have hit it before. He didn't say don't use it, he said hid it right. So lamral here. Always make sure you clean up after the party. Wow, how about we make the quarters less in NBA games. How about we shortened the quarters. H. I've got an idea. We'll talk about it next