Speaker 1: This is Ellen Stewart, the pushy broad from the Bronx, saying, remember everybody needs a little push.
Speaker 2: From the pushshit broad from the Bronx, New York at Home.
Speaker 1: Welcome Transformation Talk Network listeners. My name is Ellen Stewart and I am the pushy broad from the Bronx. Welcome to my show Recovery Recharged, where we share advice and support from experts in addiction and recovery and today's special behavioral health. I know this is something that many of you mothers out there are going to be very concerned about. We are talking today about ADHD attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and I have my expert today and we're going to ask her a lot lot of questions so that we can unlock some real hope for parents and talk about the latest treatment in ADHD treatment for young children and adolescents. So the push she brought from the Bronx is introducing to you today a woman by the name of Carrie Russige. Let me tell you about her. After years of working in intensive settings, Carrie formed a virtual mental health practice to support children, teens, young adults and parents especially. So I want you listening in and taking notes, and as a licensed clinical social worker, she specializes in ADHD, trauma, anxiety, and depression. So I am very very pleased to introduce to you Carrie Russige. Hi there, Carrie. How are you today?
Speaker 3: Ellen? I'm doing great. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Thank you. I really appreciate this. You know, I do a recovery podcast, and that means that we talk about addiction, and we talk about substances, and we talk about how that sometimes overlaps with a behavioral health or a mental health diagnosis. And one of the most prevalent diagnosis that we hear and the term gets bandied about continuously is ADHD, and we don't know exactly a lot about it, and that's why we want to hear from an expert, and certainly we want to be able to catch the signs and signals early. So let's start there. What are some of the early signs that small children might exude that would constitute the possibility of ADHD and parents should look out for.
Speaker 3: Great question.
Speaker 4: So, ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder which primarily affects our prefrontal court. So for those that are watching on video, that's kind of this front center part of our brain here. This is our thinking center, This is where we process information.
Speaker 3: This is our executive function.
Speaker 4: So we know that ADHD is a disorder of executive function. Typical developmental toddler behavior. We're seeing kids running, jumping, having a hard time sitting still, maybe feeling like they're constantly in motion. So when we're looking out for early signs of ADHD, these symptoms are going to be the ones that are disruptive to their daily functioning and likely having a negative impact in different areas social, emotional, academic, etc.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when you're talking about running all over the place, certainly children do naturally run around all over the place. Right. I substitute taught for kindergarten. Okay, that was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and probably will never do it again. So what's the difference between normal running around and the H in ADHD, which means hyperactivity? So lay it out for us.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, sure, it's a really good question.
Speaker 4: Typically, what we tend to notice, especially as adults and sometimes kids and peers too, are the behavioral manifestations of ADHD. So those are the kids that can sit in their seat at school, are constantly getting up and down, are running and jumping to the point where they can't stay maybe with their caregiver, right, and so maybe there are some safety issues. Really typical are intense emotional outburst, difficulty regulating and self soothing themselves, and often difficulty with transitions. So maybe coming in from school or getting out in the morning to go to school, and especially following multi step instructions can be particularly difficult.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're talking kids that are a school age is there something that we should look at beforehand? We have lots of young mothers that are listening in, so what about toddler behavior?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the reality is whether we're talking about an ADHD disruptive behavior or we're talking about disruptive behavior in general, the treatment is not necessarily different. And what I mean by that are the strategies that we use.
Speaker 3: To manage them. So if we're concerned.
Speaker 4: About our toddler behavior, I think a great place to start is just talking to your pediatrician, starting with like, hey, this is what I'm noticing.
Speaker 3: Is this typical?
Speaker 4: And if we bring it back again to those younger years, it's going to be those disruptive behaviors that are getting in the way of maybe safety or being able to function fully in their everyday lives.
Speaker 1: I see, okay, so I know that you're doing us a long time when you can see the signs, and certainly the professionals can see the signs. So what should you touched on it for a moment? But what should parents do? How is the child actually diagnosed ADHD, properly diagnosed? Where do they go? What do they do?
Speaker 3: I like that you use the term properly.
Speaker 4: I think because of all the information on social media, a lot of us have become our share therapists are diagnoses and we really want to make sure that we're our child is getting a proper assessment. What that means is taking them to a qualified professional. So again, we can still with the pediatrician, we really don't we don't want to be diagnosed there. We want to be referred to a psychiatrist, clinical therapist, psychologists, someone that can do the proper testing.
Speaker 3: What do I mean by that?
Speaker 4: That involves an assessment with the child, that involves an assessment with the caregiver, and that involves an assessment with the school.
Speaker 3: Feedback from the.
Speaker 4: School, parents, caregivers and teachers they're with the kids the most time, they have the most valuable information, and so it's taking all of that information and the child's report of what they're experiencing that's ultimately going to give you a diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it also helps that when we're going to a clinician for an assessment that we bring up some of the things we're seeing and try to look for a clinician that has a specialty in ADHD. Would you say that would be appropriate?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: All right. So while we're at it, why don't you tell us where your license is and how people can find you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my clinical license, I'm a license clinical social worker is in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Florida. That's where I specifically can do my clinical work. Something we can talk more about is coaching and the benefits of parent coaching as sort of a primary modality for ADHD, which is a tried and true method and for parents that are looking for coaching that is actually something I can do multi state outside of those states.
Speaker 1: Terrific And on the bontom of your screen you will see where to get in touch with Kerrie, And would you say our website forest with the people that are just listening to us.
Speaker 4: Yes, So you can find me at Kerrie ruschlcsw dot com. I'm also on psychology today, but my website is definitely the best place to learn more about me, what I provide, and how you can get in touch with me.
Speaker 1: Terrific. All right, so let's go back to the actual ADHD and your specialty. The first thing I'm thinking is is it different in girls than in boys?
Speaker 3: It's a really good question.
Speaker 4: The way that ADHD is experienced in the brain is not different between girls and boys.
Speaker 3: However, it's often expressed differently.
Speaker 1: Give me an example. I mean when you say it's not different, but it's expressed differently, two distinct examples said parents can relate to.
Speaker 4: So, boys tend to be more externally expressive because of the way we socialize them. Girls tend to be more internally expressive. What does that look like? We tend to see more of the behavioral symptoms, the sort of disruptive symptoms from.
Speaker 3: Boys and girls.
Speaker 4: Actually, we tend to see more of the attentive symptoms. That means difficulty sustaining attention, internal disorganization, perhaps appearing unmotivated.
Speaker 3: They can often be called.
Speaker 4: Lazy or seen as lazy, having poor follow through, making careless mistakes, and so there girls are actually also there's a higher level of misdiagnosis, or actually they're undiagnosed because we can't see these symptoms.
Speaker 1: You know, that is true no matter where we go. There's a distinct difference in addiction as well between male and females because men and men and young adult males seem to be more overt in the behavior, which is exactly what you're talking about with ADHD symptoms. Right. I will have clients that will have committed some kind of minor crime or major crime. I have clients that will openly go out and do something, get into a car accident, flunk out of school, have you know, not be able to hold down a job. But a woman is much more introverted and isolated in their problems. And it seems from what you're telling me, to start at a very young age in terms of the way boys and girls operate. Would that be true?
Speaker 4: Yes, And of course depending on our environments upbringing, this might look different.
Speaker 3: But this is the trend that we tend to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I mean, if a child is suffering from ADHD, whether they are a boy or a girl, it must really affect their socialization and their life and their friendships. Give us an idea of how long that may go on and what that looks like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, regardless of gender, kids with ADHD, And when I say kids, I'm talking about children and teens. So when I say kids, I'm sort of using it as this blanket term. They can struggle interpersonally, specifically because they experience higher levels of social rejection because of their internal dysregulation, They might have higher rates of impulsivity. They might have difficulty reading social cues. So this might be your kiddo that is constantly talking and talking over people, which we that might disrupt some of our friendships, right or some of our relationships. Something that also can happen is there's a high correlation between whether no matter your gender, of kids with ADHD feeling like they're dumber or not as smart or not as capable of there as their peers, when in fact ADHD is not a disorder of intelligence. But because they're working so hard and because they're seeing people doing things that are more challenging for them to do that it can also cause low self worth, which can then, in turn also show up interpersonally.
Speaker 1: I understand not to mention the inner turmoil that the child is going through and every day over physical aspects like sleep problems and screen addictions, right, and even maldowns in young children or you know, or in teenagers. Do you find that's prevalent as well.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you brought up screens.
Speaker 4: The reality is screens are a huge part of our life. You and I are on a screen talking to each other right now. It is how we function in this world, and there is no denying there. It doesn't matter how we try to reason. Screens are bad.
Speaker 3: For the ADHD brain.
Speaker 4: When we when we have ADHD, we are already starting naturally with the.
Speaker 3: Depletion of dopamine.
Speaker 4: So when we talk about addiction dependence, things.
Speaker 3: Like screens short form media, things that we can get easy hits of enjoyment with.
Speaker 4: No matter how you try to reason it, screens are bad for ADHD.
Speaker 3: They disrupt our thinking center.
Speaker 4: We don't have to put any thought into decision making, into self soothing when we have a screen in front of us. When we think about dependence, it's a similar feeling of when we are addicted to alcohol or other substances. I have something in front of me, I get that dopamine hit. I want to do it again. And when we have ADHD, we are more naturally depleted with dopamine. So if we look for things that will do that easily, screens is particularly one of them.
Speaker 3: So is negative attention, which is why there can be so much conflict of all I understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's go towards some of the home strategies here. Okay, what can parents institute daily routines or some kind of parental hack that can help a child and a teenager build focus, which is part of what ADG. That's the attention deficit portion of this journey, right, the inattention, trouble staying focused those things. What can pairs do in a daily routine to help strength and self control and focus at home with their child?
Speaker 3: The keyword there is routine.
Speaker 4: Kids and especially ADHD kids need predictability, consistency, boundaries.
Speaker 3: This has to be built into a structure. When we talk.
Speaker 4: About ADHD treatment, One of the actually most research tried and to treatment is parent training and what that means is how are we responding to reactivity? What are we putting in place so that our kids can be independent and learn to do things on their own. So we want to cultivate a space that promotes independence, confidence, and competence.
Speaker 1: You know, when you say parent training, I always think that parents need to be aware of the fact that it's not their child with the problem, and you don't hand them to as therapist and say please fix my child or take them to a a pediatrician and say is their medication right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So now give us an idea about what you talk about and what you do when you say parent coaching in this arena.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so parent coaching, parent training, parent management training, behavioral training.
Speaker 3: These are all sort of interchangeable terms.
Speaker 4: What it means is we're working with the parents on talking about what are they experiencing at home, and we are focusing on improving the child's executive function. That doesn't mean connection. There are kiddos and parents that struggle with connection. When we're talking about ADHD, we're talking we're not talking about connection, and so we're talking about routine. We're talking about rewards and consequence system. What happens when X happens, How are we responding and while parents are generally loving, well meaning, we tend to we can do things that enable these behaviors that are disruptive.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like you spend a lot of time teaching parents how to handle ADHD situations with really practical solutions. Correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, evidence based, research based solutions.
Speaker 1: There we go. And that also includes some time management technique, some organizational skills, and probably how they can regulate their temperament so that they're not yelling and screaming or nagging. Yeah, let's address that for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yes, So the research shows that the most effective parenting style is authoritative. This is different than authoritarian, which I think they're sometimes confused, which is also different than permissive. And so it's this idea of firm but loving. When we try to get down to our child's level too much and during times of conflict, we end up giving attention to the dysregulation versus if we take this authoritarian approach and use punitive measures, they're not actually learning independent. So it's about when you work with a coach, they can help you to find that line of authoritative. What is it that I'm trying to accomplish here? How can I do that effectively? And ultimately your relationship with your child will improve because of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so can you give us some concrete examples of what that would look like? If my twelve year old is completely disruptive? The room is an absolute mess on a constant basis, can seem to be getting any task done, doesn't know how to move from A to B, and I'm ready to tear my hair out of my head. What are you suggesting?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: So, first off, your overwhelmed, as normal, the very overwhelming situation to be in, right, we have to address each of the behaviors separately. If we're talking about clothes all over the room, what are we doing about it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Is it mom or dad or caregiver comes in and nags about it?
Speaker 3: The child is not feeling that consequence.
Speaker 4: So when we talk about rewards and consequence, it has to be things that the child can feel and can visualize.
Speaker 1: Like what say? What should I be saying to my kid?
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's.
Speaker 4: Less about the saying more about the doing. It's talking to your kids in advance and saying, Hey, here's the structure we're going to put in place. When you don't clean up your room, you don't earn TV time, or you have to do X, Y and Z things. You have to clean up your room, you have to do your morning routine, then you can earn a TV time. We want screen if if that's the motivator, right, if that's what's motivating your child, if they're motivated by other things, that's the reward and the consequences not earning that reward, they will feel that.
Speaker 3: And these things also have to be done in the moment.
Speaker 4: If we say, if you don't clean your room now, you're not going to get to see this movie a month from now, that is not going to resonate.
Speaker 3: They don't care.
Speaker 4: It has to be these in the moment, proportionate rewards and consequence to the behavior that they're going to feel.
Speaker 1: Do you find that a child that is more athletic and has more movement and maybe has good nutrition diet and exercise really makes a difference in ADHD symptoms?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: What you're talking about is how do we specifically improve executive function?
Speaker 3: So what we're talking.
Speaker 4: About with the parents are what do I have to do in place to help my child be independent?
Speaker 3: Successful?
Speaker 4: Right? Understand how to do things? We want to really improve executive function. We have to about down to the basics, what am I eating, how am I moving?
Speaker 3: What am I doing? Movement is vital for ADHD kiddos.
Speaker 4: Whether that is sports, whether that's just getting outside. There's actually a lot of studies that show being in nature physically looking touching, Looking at and touching nature improves our executive function. You can see it in in the neuroplasticity. Certain foods are linked to help with ADHD. Foods high end protein and that again comes back to foods that tend to improve improve cognition and neuroplasticity are ultimately going to help with ADHD. Getting things that help them with body awareness. A lot of kids why they this also can impact them socially, like they don't know how close they are to someone, or like when they're bothering someone.
Speaker 3: Get it in something like dance, something.
Speaker 4: Even sports where they team sports, they have to engage with other people in a certain way to get to.
Speaker 3: A common goal.
Speaker 4: You're helping them access creativity, body awareness, and ultimately improving these areas that are going to help with emotional control and behavior regulation.
Speaker 1: Well, that's certainly something that parents can do that seems very routine and appropriate and specific in terms of their tasks. So go rite out their parents and talk about diet and exercise and get your kids involved and moving because that really does help them. Okay, So now I want to ask your professional opinion. I want to know how you feel about whether or not and when it is medication appropriate to treat children for ADHD, and what you have seen in terms of the combination of medication and behavioral therapy or coaching therapy for the child, and what the evidence may research is showing these days. Because parents just want to say, give them a pill and let's fix it. So what's your photos? What do you yu?
Speaker 4: So the research shows medication is the ultimate, tried and true when it comes to improving executive function.
Speaker 3: That is also just one piece of the puzzle.
Speaker 4: Not every parent wants to put their child on medication, and I understand that there is a lot of misinformation out there. So I think you can just starting with talk to your doctor, talking to psychiatrists and understanding what is involved. Here are we what type of medication, What does that mean for my child?
Speaker 3: What are the side effects?
Speaker 2: All of that?
Speaker 3: Right then, right next to.
Speaker 4: That is the parent coaching that is shown to have the most benefits for kids and improving their executive function and overall independence. Where therapy comes in tends to be more helpful for teens and adults because there's treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy CDT, which helps teens and adults get that are connected with their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It's actually not shown to have a helpful improvement for young kids with executive functioning difficulties because they have a harder time accessing their thoughts, feelings and connecting it to their behavior.
Speaker 1: I see, okay, So it's up to the individual child in terms of their symptoms, and it's also up to the individual parent and the people that they're working with, and I completely understand that. So we only have a short amount of time left. So give us a hopeful message for parents who are feeling overwhelmed, one or two easy things to give them early help and helping them to change their child's future. What can they do right away? Thirty seconds go?
Speaker 3: Yes, so overwhelmed as normal.
Speaker 4: Again, we're not giving parenting manual. We're sort of just thrust into these things. So ADHD is not a curse, and in fact, if we use it in the right way, and I often when I work with kids with ADHD or even parents, I talk about it as a superpower. We do beautiful things with ADHD. We are often more creative. We can think outside the box. We can see solutions to problems that are not directly in front of us. We can be really outgoing. We can put our energy into these beautiful places. So we want to hone in on our kiddo's strengths we don't, and we want to put those establish routines that are going to ultimately help that they do that both at school and at home.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Thank you so much, Carrie, and I want you to take a good look at this. Save this clearies, listen to it again. ADHD Kids Unlocked, There is hope. This is Ellen Stewart, the Pushy Broad and the Bronx saying thanks for listening and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: She's a pushy broad from the Bronx, New York. Follow her voice, a stray dog, a nice She's a pushy broad from the Bronx. Oh yeah, don't be surprised if you wanta this or twice. Make decisions, find the right choice, no yourself, better find your own voice. It's okay. We need today because everybody needs a little push from the pushhit broad from the Bronx New York, that let out, let that at home,